Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio App. It is Wednesday, March twelfth, twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Tariff Tuesday has turned into Wild Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Ooh, I like the branding.
Speaker 2: The roller coaster tariff issues that we've been sealing. Saw the President threaten to double duties on Canadian steel and aluminum to fifty percent. Ontario said that they're going to place a surcharge on electricity.
Speaker 4: They took that off. Trump took twenty five percent off.
Speaker 2: But the European Union is now talking about leveling tariffs on billions of dollars worth of products like bourbon and motorcycles and stuff like that from the United States that goes to Europe.
Speaker 1: So I would say new day, new details, but it's like new hour, new details when it comes to the tariffs and everyone's reaction to it, whether it is Washington, Wall Street or other countries. So we'll stay on top of that Department of Education being gutted. It looks like they're going to cut about half of it. I was a little bit surprised at how small, in my opinion, the Department of Education is.
Speaker 2: That's exactly what I was going to say. It's only about four thousand or plus employees. Yeah, I thought it would have been into the ten thousand ish, but yeah, about four thou I think they said four thy one hundred positions existed in the Department of Education the day that Trump was inaugurated, and that about sixteen hundred if not more, of those would be cut along with the education employees who had already taken the advanced retirement or had been you know, let go for whatever reason.
Speaker 1: So more importantly, we have a local national nightmare to address. Do we have any local national nightmare music?
Speaker 2: How about an LA band talking about the national nightmare that exists?
Speaker 4: Okay, so would this be? Okay?
Speaker 3: Who is this?
Speaker 2: I am ashamed of you and I shall not make eye contact with you for the rest of the day.
Speaker 4: What do you mean? Who is this?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Is this not? Is this not from my generation?
Speaker 2: You could argue that it's not from your generation. But if you don't know this song, I'm machined Writers on the Storm. It is Writers on the Storm by.
Speaker 1: The guy who is really high all the time?
Speaker 3: Right, But he was in a band dead now he's dead, dead dead.
Speaker 4: He was in a band with Raymond Zeric.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think he peed on a crowd at one point, keep going and may have electrocuted himself with the uriner separate, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Played by Val Kilmer, right in the.
Speaker 3: Movie Morrison, Jim Morrison, Jim.
Speaker 4: Morrison, and he's buried in France. And what do I know so much? The name of the band is.
Speaker 1: The Jim Morrison. Sorry, I'm having a brain fog. It's I have seasonal effective.
Speaker 3: Disorder, all right.
Speaker 1: Katla's Casey Montoya joins us. She is not just a meteorologist, not that it's just a meteorologist. That is a lot of education that you and I could not pomplished. Probably, not to be rude to you, I'm sure you could if you put your mind to it, but you haven't. But Casey is a reporter. She's a journalist. She's fantastic, she's award winning. And she joins us now because we love Kate's La and we love Casey, and she was kind enough to make some time for us.
Speaker 3: Casey, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 5: I'm great. I've been thoroughly entertained listening to you guys.
Speaker 2: Casey, do you know the name of the band The Okay, the Doors?
Speaker 5: You know it's because it's my boyfriend's favorite band. And if I don't know that, I would die, like he would probably kill me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really love that.
Speaker 5: She did you tell Gary how we kind of met electronically?
Speaker 1: I did, and he was kind of creepy about it, to the point where I didn't know if I wanted to have you on the show because he was like she did, she she she listens to the show, and like she did. But you don't even need to calm it down before we get her on. I don't want you to embarrass me, is what I think.
Speaker 5: I said, Wait, Gary, what's wrong with that?
Speaker 2: It was great, It was very positive. It was just a nice surprise that people listen to the show I do.
Speaker 5: The crazy thing is so I lived in West Hollywood, like so close to work for years, and I moved to the South Bay last summer, so now I had a commute and I've been listening to you guys for like since August, and I never because I'm driving, I never take the time to think like, oh, I should look up and see you know, what they look like, and then just randomly, you guys pop up in my feet and I was like, oh my god, Shannon's hot, and so I started messaging her and I was like, it just makes sense why she knows about football now, and like our world's colliding, and so you probably think I'm weird, but that's how it happened.
Speaker 1: Not at all weird, And all the weirdness is on our side of the table. Okay, So who is Henry? I don't even know who Henry is anymore? Henry who I don't even know?
Speaker 4: Placco right.
Speaker 5: The best? So, Casey, what's.
Speaker 3: Going on with this storm? How long are we going to be living in this long local nightmare?
Speaker 5: So what's really concerning is tonight. And you know what's so frustrating is that people watch the news and it's almost like they put mute when I'm on because I get asked every day, like a dozen times, when's the rain coming. I'm like, did you watch the news?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I saw you, but no one pays attention. So tonight, well, I can't say no one. A lot of people starting tonight, like La County is going to start getting really heavy rains first, like maybe around midnight, possibly Ventura County a little sooner. We're getting like a direct hit from an atmospheric river, you know, the buzzword of the century, and it's going to bring a lot of moisture overnight into early Thursday morning. And what's so concerning is that this is going to be so heavy. If we get rainfall rates of three quarters of an echine hour, that's likely to produce flooding, not just for burnscar areas, but for you know, urban areas. So we think that that's likely going to happen in several spots. And look, the good news about this happening overnight is that we're not on the roads driving around like we would be at five pm. But it's it's probably going to cost them. The winds associated with it are likely going to cause some downtrees, maybe down power lines, and then things will start to lighten up by nine o'clock tomorrow morning. But then there's still a chance of seeing possibly heavy showers Thursday throughout the day, but nothing like what we're going to get overnight.
Speaker 2: We when we hit into the beginning of January, we started the year obviously the fires in Palisades in Altadena, there was a concern that we had what four tenths of an inch of rain throughout the entire season. We've made some good inroads on that, but where do we stand in terms of average rainfall so far?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was just looking that up, like it's different for certain areas, but we're still several inches below where we should be. And you know, normally like northern California would be getting a lot of these storms. They're not getting any of this storm. So we like them to get rain because then we get snow on the mountains, which helps as well. But even though it feels like it's been raining so much lately, we're still several inches below where we should be for this time of year. And even with this series of storms right now, we're probably not going to cat.
Speaker 1: Kacey Montoya kt LA catch her every midday.
Speaker 3: I feel like the people in Majesica.
Speaker 1: Canyon, they're in Orange County, they just have to have like a constant evacuation bag at the front door. I feel like every time it rains, we're talking about them possibly being evacuated. And that's going back like five hundred years. It seems like they always get the reins. Maybe some of the burn areas, but that they're always under this evacuation warning.
Speaker 5: And those those are terrifying to be under. But look what we've learned. You know a lot of people have told me personally, you know, I never used to evacuate when I got a warning, and now they're evacuating before the warnings, like ahead of the storm. I know several people who went to go stay in a hotel. So people are starting to listen. We wish more people would have listened before the fires, if I'm being honest, But you know, we we're here to do a service to tell people what's what's coming. So you know how to prepare, because I always say, even on TV, just prepare for the worst and expect the best.
Speaker 4: Excellent stuff. Casey, thanks for taking time for us.
Speaker 5: Today, big fan. So I'll hee you guys on the radio as I get in the car here in a few minutes.
Speaker 2: We'll talk again. If especially if this storm gets any we should have her over here.
Speaker 1: We should have her here and hang out with us for like an hour or something that.
Speaker 4: We'll have a lot of clean up and stuff.
Speaker 3: To make it presentable.
Speaker 4: Not me, I'm just saying the room.
Speaker 1: I know, No, I know the whole thing, right, It starts with you. It starts with you, Casey, thank you.
Speaker 4: Thank you bye for your patience.
Speaker 5: Hey, it's not from my generation either, but it's Jim and the Morris.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: Oh, somebody's at the door.
Speaker 3: I gotta go Frank some cokeson please?
Speaker 2: All right, Crazy tariff Tuesday turns into wacky Wednesday, and we have no idea what Wall Street's gonna do.
Speaker 3: Gary and Shannon will continue.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 4: Live everywhere on the iHeart raid.
Speaker 3: Is there anybody of any interest?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I mean there's there's people around, but I don't know if there's a if it has tickled any of the you know, bring parts, I don't know. First of two storms to SoCal is gone. The next one rolls in tonight, as we saw with our friend Casey, a new friend, Casey Montoya from KTLA, just talking about about one to two inches of rain along the coast, maybe ups as much as four inches in the valleys. And if it does get that, if we're on that end of it, it's going to cause some localized flooding problems. There is a court date today for Mahmud Khalil. He is the Columbia University grad student or graduate who was picked up over the weekend. His green card was revoked. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said, even as a green card holder, you should not be able to engage in activities that would form a legal basis to exclude you from entering the kind of in the first place. And he was accused of fomenting and leading some of those pro Palestinian protests there at Columbia University. He's actually got a court hearing today, so we'll see how that goes.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, we have some reaction to the tariffs. The European Union today announcing retaliatory trade action with new duties on US industrial and farm products.
Speaker 3: This is a response, are you going to laugh every time I say duty?
Speaker 4: Probably?
Speaker 1: Do you laugh every time you're in the airport and you walk by the duty free store? Do you say, as you're walking by, it ain't duty free? Right now, I'm I'm about to go make a duty myself. Do you do that tax?
Speaker 3: Get it all out of your system?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Anyway, This is a response within hours to the Trump's increase in tariffs on steel and aluminum imports to twenty five percent. We are talking about goods from the US worth around twenty six billion euros. Not just steel and aluminum, but textiles, home impliances, ad goods, motorcycles, bourbon, peanut, butter, and jeans will also be hit.
Speaker 2: The French are very concerned about the cosmetics industry. They said that France imports about two hundred million euros a little more than two hundred million dollars worth of American makeup every year, but ex sports about ten times that amount in the other direction. The head of the cosmetics industry association in France says, we are entering a trade war that we do not want to be a part of. I think you're going to see that kind of sentiment in a lot of different industries. France and Spain and Italy have all requested that European Commission exclude wine and spirits from the.
Speaker 4: List of US goods that are targeted with tariffs.
Speaker 2: So they're trying to carve out sort of things that would be safer for them these individual individual I don't know portions of industry. Now this is not being received well. Wall Street. We've seen over the last couple of days in negative territory. This morning that now actually started in positive territory because we got actually we got some good news that inflation had slowed.
Speaker 4: In February.
Speaker 2: The Consumer Price Index measures price increases around the most commonly purchased goods, showed about a two point eight percent rise in overall prices in the economy, slowing down compared to what we saw in January.
Speaker 4: So that's good. That caused things to go positive.
Speaker 2: But then you turn the corner and you realize that we don't know how the day is going to end when it comes to these tariff things. C NBC Steve Leisman said, this is insanity.
Speaker 1: Everyone's trying to add this up to say the math doesn't make sense here to have all of these things happening at the same time.
Speaker 7: I'm going to say this at risk of my job, Kelly, but what President Trump is doing is insane. It is absolutely insane. It is about the eighth reason we've had for the tariffs. And now he's saying he's putting fifty percent tariffs on Canada unless they agree to become the fifty first state.
Speaker 2: Now again, that fifty percent was brought back to twenty five percent.
Speaker 1: It seems like the president has an endgame where he does want the best for America in the long run, in terms of why aren't we making this stuff here?
Speaker 3: Why aren't we looking out for us? Number One?
Speaker 1: He told CEOs in that business roundtable yesterday that we talked about that the tariffs are causing companies to invest in US factories. The problem that some are arguing with that is that it costs more, obviously to make things here as opposed to importing it from other countries. The eight percent drop and the S and P five hundred stock index over the past month on fears of deteriorating growth that did not dissuade him at all. He argued yesterday that higher tariff rates would be more effective at bringing back factories to the US. Here's the quote from the Trump himself. He said, the higher it goes, the more likely it is they're going to build. The biggest win is if they move into our country and produce jobs. He says, that's a bigger win than the tariffs themselves. But the tariffs are going to be throwing off a lot of money to this country, I mean, and that's a long endgame. That's an endgame when he has left office. That's an endgame, when the damage has been done, the detritus is on the floor, and everyone hates Trump for a number of years till you And that's assuming that other administrations will follow suits exactly.
Speaker 2: And there's no guarantee, I mean, just based on our political system, there's no guarantee that even a Republican president that would be elected in twenty twenty eight would continue the same policy.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: And it's interesting to me because Trump hates to be unpopular. I mean, you saw it when he addressed Congress. You can tell it bothers him that half of those chambers did not stand for him, did not clap for him, did not do anything, did not even give him the time of day.
Speaker 3: You could tell it.
Speaker 1: It sticks in his craw that people don't like him, even if they are Democrats, even if they are the people that think he is the monster. So the fact that he would be doing something that is going to be widely unpopular once the dust settles is odd to me.
Speaker 2: There is something We've mentioned this multiple times in the last couple of days. The Wall Street thrives on known outcomes. It thrives on consistency, and when it's volatile like this, that's when it's most dangerous for people who are in the stock market. They call this the Cebo Volatility Index, known as the VICS, is what they refer to as the fear game, and they said it has surged over sixty percent so far this year to trade above twenty seven point three earlier this week. They said it's a statistically unusual level. And if we continue at this pace, if we continue with all of this volatility, it erodes the confidence that people have in stocks, and that's not.
Speaker 3: Good for in the long term.
Speaker 4: You shouldn't say.
Speaker 2: It's not good for everybody, because not everybody's in the stock market, But if you've got a four oh one K, you're in it. If you have these other investments, you're in it.
Speaker 3: So bless your heart.
Speaker 1: Potentially bad and bless your heart if you and I don't mean to be condescending, I mean truly bless your heart if you're one of the people that checks your four oh one K all the time, because that.
Speaker 3: Thing, you can't live or die with a day to day on the four oh one k.
Speaker 2: It's too much. It's like it's It's like gambling. You got to know you're not going to win that big first hand right away. You got to play for a long time and somebody had a problem.
Speaker 1: Why, Like, somebody's got a little bit of an addiction they're working through.
Speaker 2: Even then, the numbers are always in the house's favor.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 4: The longer you play, the less likely you are.
Speaker 3: To have one chance that I checked that for one case, there's.
Speaker 4: Just one chance that I hit that number. Thirty two on roulette.
Speaker 3: That's what I always bet on. How did you know that.
Speaker 4: I've been there with you? Oh, I didn't know. That's a wild guest.
Speaker 1: I mean, really that's my number, Like, that's my number, and I don't just bet one. I bet like five thirty two. Why thirty two? There's so many reasons, so many okay, so little time.
Speaker 4: Uh, would you survive the apocalypse? Would I.
Speaker 7: Ow?
Speaker 3: I like, how long after the.
Speaker 4: World would you survive the apocalypse? Did you give it a day?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 1: I find it interesting that there's so many shows, and it's not just a recent thing a trend. How many shows throughout the generations are centered around the apocalypse. Were obviously extremely interested in the end of the world and what it means and how we'll react. So there is a new guide on how to survive the apocalypse at least for ten days.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about it when we come back.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: It is Wednesday, so late in the show, we'll be doing what you're watching Wednesday. Let us know what it is that you have been following up on. We have some great trailers that are coming up. We're going to post those up as well. Hacks season four, in fact, is coming up next month already, so we'll talk about stuff that's on television. Let you know what we've been watching as well the stories that we're following. An American wrestler has been named a person of interest in the disappearance of that pit student at the Dominican Republic. A twenty four year old guy named Joshua Ribby being investigated by a sheriff's office in Virginia after twenty year old Sudiska Konaki vanished at the beginning of the month during a break in Punta Kana. Now, he is reportedly being cooperative with authorities. According to the Dominican authorities. He's not considered a suspect, just one of the guys that was last seen with Sudiksha before she disappeared. Dominican authorities apparently have taken his passport. However, according to a couple of different sources, that doesn't mean that he's not free to leave.
Speaker 4: He can pick it up any time he wants, I guess.
Speaker 2: Also space news is that this afternoon a launch expected from Cape Canaveral, where the Boeing Boeing spacecraft that crapped out a new one is supposed to be headed up to the International Space Station to go pick up Sonny Williams and Butcher Wilmore.
Speaker 1: I of suddenly am just overwhelmed with a smell. How's the shower going, Well, it's just that they've had the same underwear.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're having a sensory, you're having a sympathetic one.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about what it smells inside that capsule on the way home again.
Speaker 2: I think you're overestimating the amount of underpant that they have.
Speaker 4: I think they're just they're done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right. Wow, do you think they ever wear underwear again?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 1: I mean they would did without for so long? Why even go through the rigamarole of underwear anymore for the rest of your days.
Speaker 2: Well, for him, he's still got stuff that hangs, and you don't want the gravitational pull once you get back to Earth.
Speaker 3: Could probably be I wonder how that works.
Speaker 1: So like you just don't feel your genitals, Like, he doesn't need underwear in space, right because they just kind of like.
Speaker 4: What are you doing with your hands?
Speaker 3: Well, they just float up here right like.
Speaker 4: I suppose I've never been.
Speaker 1: That's going to be quite a a re entry. Yeah, if you haven't felt your genitals like that, that's why he's got a sill.
Speaker 3: Weight of your genitals. You haven't felt them for months.
Speaker 2: They both have to sit down for a week basically. But when they get home home to Earth because the gravitational poll is going to be such a is that true, Absolutely, they are not going to be moving very much for the next Well, so tonight is when there's the thing launches. Tonight it meets up with the space station, I believe tomorrow at some point, I don't know what the exact timeline is to get them in that return capsule and back down to Earth.
Speaker 1: I would like someone to make a movie about this about the people that go up to space. They expect to be there for eight days or there for eight months. They run out of underwear, they don't feel their genitals. They come back maybe gravity, yeah, but did they come back? And then they sit down for a long time and then they refeel their genitals and it's a whole thing. And where do they go with the underwear moving forward? These are the things that I want to be dealt with in a major emotion picture.
Speaker 2: A writer for the New York Times lived through Hurricane Sandy. Let other people think about that nobody does about thirteen years ago, and he said that his awakening to prepping, like doomsday prepping, came after that massive storm hit New York.
Speaker 3: I didn't know they have these, but they have these.
Speaker 1: He went to a ten day survival intensive This happened to be in Mexico. Consists of a series of skill learning workshops all about how to survive the apocalypse. Here is one of the tips. Remember the ABC's of survival. What are the ABC's.
Speaker 4: Always be crafting, always be, always be closing.
Speaker 7: A b C A always b b C closing, always be closing, always be closing.
Speaker 3: Is that from like the Wolf of Wall Street or something.
Speaker 4: Something like that. What is it that's Glengarry Glenn?
Speaker 3: Okay, so similar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that is not right in this case. When it comes to survival, it's always be crafting. You forget a thing like a spoon, which he did, you learn how to make one. Always be crafting. It's like Maguiver, you want to fix that transmission. Here's a ballpoint pen. Make it happen. There's certain people that are good with this kind of thing. There's people that are good with just thinking out of the box.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like my brother.
Speaker 1: Like if I had to survive the apocalypse, I would use my brother. He would be the person that I would bring with me on my apocalyptic journey because he thinks differently and he could live off the land. I think he could skin a raccoon and figure out a way to eat it. Yeah, you I think have that in you.
Speaker 4: I could do that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I don't know how I'd kill the raccoon in the first place, because they're wily little creatures. Yeah, they're nasty. There are certain people if I hit it with a car or somebody else hit it with a car and softened up that meat a little bit, before I got.
Speaker 1: It, tendardized it with a car tire tenderdized.
Speaker 3: Tenderized, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about what this guy went through in this ten day survival course down in Mexico, and what the strange thing is the very first step has nothing to do with survival.
Speaker 4: We'll explain what that is when we come out.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 4: Oh one quick thing before he.
Speaker 8: Oh, hey, Gary and Shannon. I'm just taking my eighteen year old daughter to college and we listened to you guys in the car, and finally she was like, what do they look like. I looked up Shannon and was like, okay, okay, and I told her, you guys are Shennon's about the same age as I am, early forties. But then she looked up Gary. It was like, there's a cellist also named Gary Hoffman, and then she had to look up Gary KFI. I thought it was interesting.
Speaker 2: Do you remember said cellist? You remember Commander Bill up in Sacramento. This was a long time excuse me, a long time traffic traffic guy.
Speaker 3: He was the best.
Speaker 4: Commander.
Speaker 2: Bill was a legendary and Sacramento and flew a plane for forty years or something like that. He used to come into the radio station and would ask me, where's your cello?
Speaker 4: And for years I had no idea what he was talking about.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, And when I when the that was before internet, you know, before you would look up your own name on the internet. Right, And a few years later, I'm in Seattle and the internet comes out and Microsoft, whatever their browser was, I looked it up and I remember thinking just all falling into place, the dozens of times that he would come in and ask me where my cello was. And finally I was like, oh my gosh, I need to call Commander Bill and find and say to him I finally get what you said to me all those years, you crazy old man.
Speaker 3: That's funny, though, You're right.
Speaker 1: I mean, can you imagine a time when you couldn't just google something?
Speaker 3: There was no internet.
Speaker 1: So somebody coming in and saying that to you, you know, there's got to be some sort of connection.
Speaker 2: I mean the only other thing you would do is go to the library and look through the card catalog for your name.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And even then, all right.
Speaker 1: I missed the card catalog. I like hunting for things using the card catalog. There was a show recently that involved a card catalog, and I thought I missed.
Speaker 2: That this ten day crash course on surviving the apocalypse. A rider for the New York Times did this ten day crash course that takes place down in Mexico.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Apparently a third of all Americans say they spend some part of their household budget on prepping for the end of the world. Late last year, a book called a Navy Seals bug In Guide was in heavy rotation on TikTok. It offers tips on explaining away your ownership of large quantities of canned goods. Here's one tip. You can just say my wife slash husband got into couponing.
Speaker 3: It is a situation.
Speaker 1: Twenty million Americans identify as preppers. They are working on self reliance. I was exposed to this recently when I watched that documentary about the YouTuber family Ruby Frankie and how towards the end of Crazy of the Trip on the Crazy Train, she and her friend, who was also a scammer, seemed to be very much into prepping for the end of the world.
Speaker 4: Well, the.
Speaker 2: Guy who's doing this again, the writer for The New York Times meets up with this guy who had grown up in El Salvador, I believe it was, and the crime ridden country eventually comes to the United States and gets an art degree of all things and is now leading these survival courses. And the very first thing he teaches, he said, the most important lesson of survival is understanding your physiological and psychological response to threats. What happens when your body is threatened, whether it's by a predator, by the way weather, by conditions that you simply don't quite understand. Your thoughts race, your heart pounds, your breathings r.
Speaker 1: So I would assume it's acknowledge all that and don't get freaked out by it.
Speaker 2: That's just your body reacting. Acknowledge it, Yeah, figure out why it's happening. What does your body know that you don't about what's about to happen to you, or what does it perceive is going to happen, and then basically control yourself, like slap yourself in the face, slap it down, snap out of it, excuse me, and then they he said. One of the things to do is as you walk around, keep your bubble of awareness bigger than your bubble of disturbance. So you talked about he said, you needn't have a spoon, and he had to figure out how to get a spoon. That's what you should be looking for, is keeping an eye on everything that's around you and how you could potentially use that, whether it's a tree that you could climb up to escape something, whether it's a tree limb that's on the ground that you could use as a weapon, something like that.
Speaker 1: You know, it's interesting you say that, keep a you know, focus on awareness, not disturbance within yourself. That's like a pretty common tactic when it comes to calming yourself down period in life. Stop worrying about all the voices in the head what's going on, and live in the moment.
Speaker 4: To deal with what's right now.
Speaker 3: What do you see? What do you smell? That whole thing?
Speaker 2: Al pacinos six inches in front of your face. That's what you're going for, is that one inch that's right there. He says, his philosophy is always to prioritize fire.
Speaker 4: Yes, fire is one of those things.
Speaker 2: That's why Tom Hanks screamed about he is a god when he did it, for when he was stranded on that island for the volleyball, yeah, Wilson right. The other one is they talked about making a compass from a leaf, a needle and a magnet. How to open a coconut without tools, handlining, which is fishing by hand without a pole, but to find a string, a loose line, and a hook. All of those things are what you would Here's the thing. Yeah, if you're lost in the jungle, yes, these things are going to happen. If you're lost on an island somewhere in the Caribbean where the weather is not necessarily an issue, you're okay. If you're in Alaska and you get separated from your fellow hunters or campers or whatever you're doing out there, the time limit is very shrunk.
Speaker 4: The idea that you have.
Speaker 2: Ten days to survive is not very realistic, and I think that's kind of funny. But the other aspect of this is the headline uses the word apocalypse. When you think apocalypse, I think something along the lines of a Morgan Freeman movie where an asteroid's about to hit the Earth or all full global nuclear war.
Speaker 1: Apocalypse is actually Greek. Do you want to know what it means?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 1: It means revelation or hidden knowledge. The Greek word is apocalypsis, and it means revelation or hidden knowledge. Kind of makes you think about the apocalypse differently.
Speaker 4: We'll know then, right, will know then exactly what's going on? Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Between hearing about duty underwear and genitals, I swear I'm listening to the Bill Handle show.
Speaker 4: Okay, I.
Speaker 1: Get it, You're right, I know. I put the genitals away. We also got a text from Clay. He said Gary's back, and so is Shannon's genital obsession.
Speaker 3: I'm putting it away.
Speaker 2: If you miss the first hour, you can always go back and check out the podcast.
Speaker 1: But I will say, in my defense, it has crossed your mind when it comes to the astronauts with the underwear, has it not.
Speaker 3: No, that's that's unique to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You don't assume that they have a supply of fresh underpaid months worth.
Speaker 4: Do you go eight months without washing your own?
Speaker 3: They don't have?
Speaker 4: Yes, they do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they only packed for eight.
Speaker 4: Days, so you have eight pairs.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I see, Okay, I see what you're saying. All right, I'm over it. Okay, So you just had to reason with me? Man, Can I remind you of that at least twice a day.
Speaker 4: Oh, you had to do. It's reason with me and I'd come down off the cliff.
Speaker 2: My apocalyptic dirty underpron can have saved us all of this.
Speaker 4: Gary Shannon, We'll continue right after this. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap