Speaker 1: Welcome friends, jacky hyeah about.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Movie Film. It's episode three forty three. I'm Zaki Hassan. I'm here with Brian Hall.
Speaker 1: Heay, how's it going, Zachi?
Speaker 2: Hey, it's going. Uh. You know, obviously we struggle to find time to record, but occasionally the schedules line up and you might say, this is.
Speaker 1: The way, yes, yes, uh yeah about that later, well, I was gonna say, I'm glad that we were able to see it pretty quickly and get this out pretty quickly, so people who are excited and catching the movie this weekend will have this right away for them.
Speaker 2: We're talking about the Mandalorian and Grogo of course, but but you gotta you gotta hang in if you want to hear that discussion, and if you want to get to that discussion without hearing any ads, I would recommend a subscribing to our Patreon feed right.
Speaker 3: Right, oh yeah, over patreon dot com. Slash Movie Film Podcast only five dollars a month. Every commentary we've done, every episode. You'll find ad free over there, and you also find bonus episodes and we just dropped one that was like about an hour long. Yeah, and I mean we covered everything from our Masters of the Universe, the upcoming film It's Tracking, It's Toys, We talked about all the popcorn bucket phenomenon, hemping at movie theaters, and we even talked about the two thousand and one time capsule that is the movie Swordfish. So it was a packed episode and a lot of fun and I think a lot of people would enjoy it, and you can find it exclusively over at our Patreon feed.
Speaker 2: It was packed full of tomfoolery.
Speaker 1: It really was.
Speaker 2: In fact, there was so much buffoonery Tommy Lee Jones would not sanction it.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, it was a lot of that. Yeah, as is his way.
Speaker 2: As is his way. This is good stuff. Speaking of good stuff, what have you seen lately?
Speaker 1: You know, I saw a couple of things.
Speaker 3: I don't want to talk about them, but I had an observation recently that I thought i'd share that I thought you might appreciate. So I have a friend from a past job and he is acquaintances with the band the Afghan Whigs. You know, they were probably most prominent in the nineties, but you know they can continue to tour and I've seen them a couple of times because my friend is able to bring me and we get free tickets and all that sort of thing. And so I saw them this past week. And then I also mentioned that a couple of weeks ago, I saw the movie Carrie at one of those outdoor screenings.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, and something occurred to me.
Speaker 3: The last time. Well, at one of those outdoor screenings a couple of years ago, it was very cool. I saw Natalie Portman walking around and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh, Natalie Portman.
Speaker 2: She was like a star.
Speaker 1: That's kind of cool.
Speaker 3: She's like here at this event. And then the last time I saw the Afghan Whigs, I saw Heather Graham. I was like, Heather Graham. I've had a crush on her since I was a teenager licensed to drive, Like, wow, that's amazing. So when I saw Carrie a couple of weekends ago, I saw this guy and I told my friends. I was like, hey, that's I follow that guy on Instagram. He's a comedian. He's really funny. His name's Luke Strickler and and everyone's like who. And then when I went to the Afghan Whigs this past week, I saw this guy and I nudged my friend and go, hey, that's this guy. I fall on Instagram. His name is Jacob Gibbons. He's like a nineties music officionado. He does good stuff and he's like huh, And I was like, isn't this fascinating? A couple of years ago, it was like all these like celebrities that you would like bump into or see or like, oh, I'm rubbing shoulders with these these celebrities. And now I'm realizing that recently it's just been like influencers. Like there, I'm recognizing these influencers in the wild. It's just like I don't know that I've fully figured out what my thought about that is or my comedic take, but like, I just found it kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: You know, tell me you're very online. That's what it tells me.
Speaker 1: I suppose, or at least in my corners. That's the thing.
Speaker 3: These people didn't know who like when I was you know at that that's a good point.
Speaker 1: Natalie Portman.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh wow, you know, like trying to get a picture of her like from a distance and stuff. And funny enough, she was with Questlove so they were hanging out together, which is like that's wow, how about that?
Speaker 1: But this is like that real minutia, you know of your algorithm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like this real niche comedian who I do think is funny.
Speaker 1: His name is Luke Strickler.
Speaker 3: He has this his video that had like millions of views that I think blew up, was called I Love the Office, which I think our listeners might find funny. But anyway, I don't know, it's just kind of a funny. Like how about that, you know, like those are the people now that I'm seeing at these events, and you know, it's exciting to me in a way, I guess, but it's harder to share with people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Didn't see Heather Graham this past week, and.
Speaker 2: That's the shame. I honestly, I didn't realize until you said it just now that she was in License to Drive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's the Mercedes the girl that Corey Haim has a crush on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know the name of the character. I saw that movie in the early part of the nineties. That's probably last time I saw it.
Speaker 3: So oh man, I don't know how that became sort of like a Hall Family classic. I think because we didn't have cable, so like we would take movies off of TV when they were on, and so we would revisit those a lot, even if I don't know they weren't as big a deal to other people, Like I always bring up The Hard Way that Michael J. Fox James Woods movie, which for us was kind of like a Hall Family classic because we had taken on TV and watched it all the time. But yeah, I love License to Drive.
Speaker 2: To me, Heather Graham will always be a girl who may be accidentally sleeping with her brother in that one movie.
Speaker 1: That's a fairly brother movie, right.
Speaker 2: I think so, Yeah, I forget say it isn't so I think that's I'm just joking. I know her, of course, as Judy Robinson and Lost in Space.
Speaker 3: I keep thinking you're gonna say Austin Powers, but you keep going into other Yeah that too, that.
Speaker 1: Too, Boogey Knights of course, you know, oh yeah that too. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Well, speaking of classic films of yesteryear, I'm just I'm not gonna talk about them too much. But I feel like Regal I should be an influencer for Regal Cinemas because I talk about them so much. But they're each month they've been doing their special series where they program literally every single day there's a movie that is part of a series that they throw that's themed each month, and this month is musicals. And so I saw a Footloose for the first time. I've never seen it before. The og one yeah, with Kevin Bacon and Singing in the Rain, which I had seen before.
Speaker 2: But like, I love that movie.
Speaker 3: Oh it's so good, and seeing it on the big screen, and you know when you got the three of them dancing side by side in sync and just seeing it larger than life and it's you just marvel at it. You know, it's it's really special. So if people can make it out to those, I highly recommend checking out their schedule and seeing Yeah, I mean the movies are all over the place too, I mean Singing in the Rain and then one night it was like the Hairspray remake and then I think almost Famous last Night, Blues Brothers next week, So it's definitely worth checking out.
Speaker 1: But uh, okay, I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna talk about three things, one of two of them kind of quick. I caught a movie called deep Water.
Speaker 2: Okay, have you heard of this? Is this like fall? No? It's not? Okay, what do you mean? Like? What we gonna the movie isn't it The Fall? The Fall? You know?
Speaker 1: Uh, well, no, it's it's it's different.
Speaker 2: Basically, it's a shark movie, okay, just is it like with sharks but like The Fall? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I get well, you know, okay, I think I see what you're saying, like sort of in that genre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, And this is it's true.
Speaker 2: Who shouldn't be somewhere?
Speaker 3: Yes, but this is basically okay, it's directed by Rennie Harlan, and it's got Aaron Eckert and Ben Kingsley, And basically there's a commercial airliner that has issues over the ocean, crash lands and the people who survived have to figure out how to get rescued.
Speaker 1: But there's sharks swimming in the water, gotcha.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So I was vaguely aware of this, and my friend was like, Hey, do you want to go see this? And I was like, eh, sure, you know, like you know, why not? And so I had little to no expectations and I was totally surprised by the end where I was like, Hey, that was fun. And I say that because this is like not a great movie, like this is a this is a B movie, Okay, Okay, Honestly, I had this thought and I said it to my friend and he was like, yes, exactly. It felt like a script that was originally in another language, and like someone someone who lied about being fluent in languages translated it like that's kind of what it feels like. And it even sort of reminded me of like those vertical dramas. I haven't seen a lot of them, but you get.
Speaker 1: The idea where it's like there are these very broad tropy situations and characters who are super round the nose, like he's the er villain and she's the h like person who needs.
Speaker 3: Rescuing and he's the hero. Like that's as deep as this movie is. But at the same time, sometimes stuff that on the nose does tap into the core of what we respond to, like we do want to see the bad guy get his come up. It's we do want to see the hero act heroically, and this movie kind of taps into that, you know, so, and and there was some Rennie Harland.
Speaker 1: He's got like a.
Speaker 3: A a zest, you know, to the way that he films things, Like I know he hasn't worked on anything sort of major in several sorts of years, but when this started and they were filming, you know, setting up all the people who were going to watch, you know, all the not stereotypes, but like caricatures of types of people where it's like the nice family, the guy who's annoying everyone, you know, the jock who is it nice to the nerdy guy. You know, like when they're setting all that up. As simple as that stuff is, it's filmed really well.
Speaker 2: Like it's I was.
Speaker 3: Like, oh, what an interesting idea putting the camera there. I wouldn't have thought of that, but that it's very cinematic, you know. I was thinking about it like this is elevating something very simple.
Speaker 1: That could have been like a TV movie in the eighties or something.
Speaker 3: And you know, and then there's the moment where I talk about this all the time, where someone is really like annoying you or he's really bad, and I'm like, I.
Speaker 1: Just throw him to the sharks, you know.
Speaker 3: But then the hero doesn't do that, and you're like, right right, nope, that's better.
Speaker 1: That's better.
Speaker 3: I wish I was like him, Like it has those kinds of moments. And of course, I mean, like a spoiler, like the jock ends up being nice to the nerd because the NERD's nice to the job, you know, like this stuff is so sick.
Speaker 2: I'm not watching it now, so thanks for ruining it.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just saying, like it's so simple. I just want to be clear. But like streaming this on a Friday night, it was enjoyable. I was surprised that I found it enjoyable, so I thought it was at least worth mentioning.
Speaker 2: Scratch that itch for you.
Speaker 3: I think someday it is going to be on Netflix. Probably it won't won't be long, but.
Speaker 1: And you could you could do worse. It's and it is kind of fun, you know, the what would you do of it all?
Speaker 3: In a way, you know, when you're stuck in the ocean and you have limited resources. So anyway, I thought i'd uh acknowledge.
Speaker 2: It, consider it acknowledged.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I now I have a movie on a TV show, So I caught The Sheep Detectives have you. Feels like it came kind of out of nowhere and everyone was like, hey, this is really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been wanting to see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so basically Hugh Jackman plays a shepherd.
Speaker 2: I should say I've been wanting to see this and Mortal Kombat too, very different. I was hoping to make a make one day of it and just really give myself a a migraine from from the from the the ricocheting tones, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you know what though, that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you're in the mood for either or right, Like we're kind of like at all but the sheep detectives basically okay, okay. So Hugh Jackman plays a shepherd who reads mystery novels to his sheep every night, and then one morning, the sheep find that their shepherd has been murdered, and so they're like, wait a minute, like, we've learned a lot from these mystery novels he's read to us.
Speaker 1: Maybe we can solve his murder. Which is an insane plot.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine being in a room pitching that, like to Disney or something like the sheep will solve the shepherd's murder. And this comes from I think a couple writers, but one of them is Craig Mason, which is very interesting because he did Chernobyl. Uh oh did he? I know he did one of those sort of like more comedic sorts of things. But recently he's been doing the Last of Us Chernobyl.
Speaker 2: Yep, he wrote Hangover two and three at least.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Okay, So I mean his so isn't that fascinating?
Speaker 2: I mean his output is all over quite the filmography of course he eped Last of Us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. And so I was just very curious what this would even be like. And I would say it feels similar to me.
Speaker 3: It's been a while, but to something like Babe, where where you know it's talking animals, but it has a real sincere heart to it. You know, so you get the pleasure of something that like kids will enjoy, and you know, sheep making kind of funny faces and reacting strangely to things that we know are usual, like they have to cross a road and they're like what is that because they've never seen it before.
Speaker 1: They've always been in a field. And you get that kind of fun silliness. But then there's also you know, you learn more about the shepherd and how he treated all the sheep, and there's you know, different sheep that don't get along, but he loved all of them, and they're like maybe they can learn to get along too. You know, that like really does successfully tug at the heartstrings. I think and you know, I mean it's light, it is. It feels like a movie, you know, for like a younger audience.
Speaker 3: But I went and saw at the theater and it was all adults, you know, and I think everybody kind of walked out with a while on their face. So I think this is a nice movie, and it's it's I would say for kids, it's I mean, very clean.
Speaker 1: I would say.
Speaker 3: The only thing is the sheep literally learn about death. Like that's kind of their arc is they don't really understand what death is at the beginning, and over the course of this they have to learn what it is to have someone die and how to deal with that, you know, how to grapple with that.
Speaker 1: So that is a big part of the story.
Speaker 3: So you know, I guess it's up to the parents if that's something they're ready to expose.
Speaker 2: It, So be aware if you're taking the little ones. Yeah, but just a very nice it might traumatize them the way kids were traumatized when Papouli died on Full House.
Speaker 3: Oh, I forgot about that. Yes, Ugh, it's a very special episode. I was, Yeah, Michelle shouldn't take it easy.
Speaker 2: It was she Yeah, it was, it was. It was a generational trauma.
Speaker 1: Yes, but yeah, very much in that Babe vein.
Speaker 2: So I was gonna say, like, you half expect from the commercials to have Hugh Jackman say that'll do sheep.
Speaker 3: Kind of yeah, yeah, sort of like the James Cromwell, you know, sort of just like a very sweet, kind hearted guy that the animals look up to and it's very nice.
Speaker 2: Crazy by the way, is that like James Cromwell is like pushing eighty now probably, which means he was like in his forties when he was in Babe.
Speaker 3: Okay, So when I watched Footloose, obviously I was like, all right, what is everybody's age at this?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 3: John Lithgow he plays, you know, like the Preacher Father Stern figure. He was eight years younger than me in that movie.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my gosh, it sounds about right. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, Lastly, I want to talk about a show that I just had no idea what it was and pretty much no intention of watching it.
Speaker 1: It is called Widow's Bay.
Speaker 3: Okay, so this is on Apple TV Plus and I would see the splash page when I would turn on my Apple TV.
Speaker 2: But I was just like.
Speaker 3: Huh and it just always get past it, Like no, I don't know why. It just did not grab my eye. And then I heard a recommendation for it, and I was like uh. And then they're like about each episode is about thirty minutes. So I was like, all right, like I don't know what else to watch. I'm kind of tired. Let's just this will do the trick until I fall asleep. Let's just see what this is.
Speaker 1: And the premise basically is.
Speaker 3: It's sort of like Twin Peaks or this is really obscure, but maybe even more accurate.
Speaker 1: It's a like the show Erie Indiana.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, yeah, yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, told from the point of view of essentially the mayor from Jaws.
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's this mayor of this.
Speaker 3: You know, small you know town kind of Northeast, you know, like main esque kind of vibe.
Speaker 1: I don't remember specifically what it is.
Speaker 3: But he's trying to figure out a way to get tourism to return. And so the pilot episode, there's a New York Times journalist who's going to come out and visit, and he's just like, we've got to make sure that he's happy here, and he writes a good piece about our town. You know, this is important for all of us, but everybody there is very superstitious and like, oh no, but the FOG's rolling in. You know what happens when the fog rolls in turns people into zombies, you know, And he's like, please don't talk to the journalist, you know, like and this is Matthew Reis, I should say, who's really great? And so the first episode is, you know, the fog rolls in, the journalist is there, weird stuff starts happening, and the mayor's like, wait.
Speaker 2: Are they right?
Speaker 3: Like is this is you know, so he's trying to protect the journalists from it and whatever, and so it was entertaining, but I thought, do I want to watch like ten episodes of this, like so like a zombie fog. I don't know if this is going to sustain, but anyway, I did enjoy it. So I started episode two and episode two is a completely different thing. So there is the thread and minor spoiler. The journalist does write a positive piece, so now tourists are going to be coming in a week, and so he's like, okay, so we've got to make sure that the hotel is in good working condition for everybody, and then the locals are like, oh no, like hotels haunted, you know, so it's now it's a haunted house story. So like, each story is a different sort of supernatural spooky idea explored.
Speaker 1: In this town.
Speaker 3: And I think that is genius because that keeps you. It feels different each episode, although it still feels tonally, you know, in this fun spooky, funny place that I'm enjoying, but then it's like, well, what's it going to be next week? You know, Like and so the Haunted House one is the one that really got me. I was like, that is a great idea. There's a lot of really funny ideas in it. It's the first one that actually scared me.
Speaker 2: I was like, whoa.
Speaker 3: There's a moment where I was like ugh. But it also has this real subtle stuff that's happening where there's a moment where the minor mind this doesn't really affect the story at all, but I just really loved it where the guy who owns the hotel, the mayor, is trying to convince the superstitious people that there's nothing weird about this hotel. I think there's a room in particular sort of like two thirty seven or whatever it is from the shining like, don't go in there. And the mayor's like, oh, there's nothing wrong with it, and so he says to the hotel owner, like, just go in there and we'll shut the door and count to ten show them everything's fine.
Speaker 1: And the guy's like, uh.
Speaker 3: So he puts the hotel owner in there, shuts the door, and he's like, counts to ten and they open the door and you can see on the hotel owner's face that he has just lived like a week and he's like, oh, but he doesn't want to talk about it, and he just like walks out and they don't explore that. Like it's just weird stuff and it's funny and it is spooky and like a really funny, fun sort of way, and so it's really I'm really enjoying it. And the last one that I saw I haven't seen this week's, but it's basically this girl who feels a little bit like an outcast and she wants to throw a party. I don't want to run it, but basically she goes down a rabbit hole of trying to put on this party, and then of course there's something weird happening that you can't quite figure out. And there's this brilliant moment where you know, everything seems sort of normal as she's putting this party on and the camera's just panning across the room, but there's a catches a mirror for a split second, and the reflection in the mirror doesn't really what's happening in the room, and you're like what, and then but the camera keeps moving and I was like this, this is what I love. This is the kind of spookiness and horror that I love.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, check this out. This sounds great.
Speaker 3: I think it's a lot of fun. I haven't seen this week, so I'm looking forward to watching it tonight.
Speaker 1: So I had no idea.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I would have watched this otherwise, but if that sounds up your alley, I would recommend Widow's Bay at Apple TV.
Speaker 2: Plus well very cool. I saw a couple things on it to mention real quick. Yeah, So first off, we have Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan Ghost War. He's back. He is back. He left three years ago, but he's back for more. So this is a movie sequel to the Prime video streaming series have they done that yet.
Speaker 3: Has it just been a series or have they done you know, like one off movies yet of Jack Ryan. Yeah, we don't before for this particular the John Krasinski.
Speaker 2: This is the first time. Okay, they're doing a movie. Okay. And you know me, I'm a big Jack Ryan fan. I like the movies the books less. So I tried reading one and that was that was it for me.
Speaker 1: Wait, what do you mean, the like Patriot Games, the old ones?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, well I tried. I was assigned to read between eighth grade and freshman year, The Cardinal of the Kremlin.
Speaker 1: I remember that title.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was quite excited to read it because you know, I by then Patriot Games had come out, and you know Hunt Freed October of course, and I was like, oh man, can't wait, and and it was just just impenetrable. I know, people people love Tom Clancy's techno thriller pro pros. Yes, I will count myself as a not a fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember buying the Sum of All Fears because I excuse me, I liked the Hunt for October. Yeah, but I mean it was like as big as the Bible, and I was like, I just couldn't I couldn't get through it.
Speaker 2: But all that is to say, I've I've enjoyed the moviees quite a bit. I think I've said I I've I have enjoyed to varying degrees, every Jack Ryan movie, including the Chris Chris Pine one that everyone forgets about see. Yeah, and I really enjoyed the series, the Prime Video Series, which I highly recommend. I've recommended it to you. So when they announced that they were doing this movie, I was very excited. I was like, man, let's do like I think John Krasinski to me is second only to Harrison Ford, who is my favorite. Jack Ryan.
Speaker 3: Interesting, Well, can you explain what it is about him that body of Jack Ryan's so so?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I think what he adds is whenever an awkward moment happens, he looks at the camera and looks incredulous, which I just that makes him more relatable to me totally. And I like that when Jim Greer said something, he looks over and he kind of shakes his head like no, no. I think you know. It's it's tricky with with Jack Ryan because he has to be in every man who is you believe he's a man of action, but you also believe he is smart, right, Jack Ryan is always the smartest guy in the room, right, you know? And I think I think Alec Baldwin was able to convey that. Certainly, he conveyed the smart part more than the man of action part. I think that Harrison Ford was able to convey both, you know, and then you know, like I said, I you know, Alec, Ben Affleck, Chris Pine, they were able to do it to varying degrees. I haven't disliked any of them, but I just feel like Krasinski works for me in the same way Harrison Ford did, you know. And the show was just darn good man four seasons it was. It was very solid, I think, you know, and this movie is not. Unfortunately, uh I said this in my review for The Rap. John Krasinski is a great Jack Ryan. Ghost War is not a great Jack Ryan movie. Like even the title is such a generic, like like you know, it it's such a it's like a placeholder title.
Speaker 1: Ghost War. Is that what it is?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: You know what it reminds me of.
Speaker 3: There was you know, there's all those like arcade shooting games, and there was one that was very generic that for some reason Sean and I really liked it.
Speaker 1: It was called Ghost Squad and everything about it.
Speaker 3: It was fun to play, but everything about it felt like a knockoff of something that had already been done better.
Speaker 1: So yeah, even just even just cause like, yeah, you're working for the Ghost Squad. Yeah, so yeah, it reminds me of that a little bit.
Speaker 2: Ghost War. It's yeah, it's a shame because like it does pick up, you know, a couple of years after the show, and so you get, you know, Wendell Pierce's back as admiral career and and uh what what what's his name? The shoot for the actor's name, the guy who played Mike November. It's kind of like the John Clark type characters. Michael. Oh, yeah, Michael is the actor's name. Yeah, he's back. Like like it's it's what I would have wanted, like, if you're going to continue, bring everybody back. But but the story is just very generic and then it doesn't amount to anything, and and the third act it's just like machine gun fire and buildings exploding and stuff, and I'm like, that's boring, you know.
Speaker 1: I thought we were talking about Mandalorian Grogu Later.
Speaker 2: Some some similar reactions yeah, I just I went with my son. I don't really right, I went with my oldest he's nineteen, and you know, we we've the Ryan movies together. And when it ended, he turns to me, he's like, it was an okay, action movie. I didn't think it was a good Jack Ryan movie. I'm like, come here, boy, get some milk chicks exactly. So there's just some you know. What I always point to is like scene two Jack Ryan scenes that are like top tier, right number one, Clear in Present Danger. I think you already know what I'm talking about. I'm talking about it's the the the ambush, right, the convoy ambush. But also in Clear in Present Danger, there's a scene where Jack Ryan is trying to print out some files.
Speaker 1: I remember that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right while across the hall you have Henry Churney deleting the files and you're like chewing your fingernails watching this scene. Yes, you know what I mean? Like that, Like, to me, that's where the sort of clancy Ouvra excels where it's it. There's like a there's more tension, and it's more about the politicking, you know, I mean some of all fears you've seen that one, right, Yeah, I mean the climax of the movie is like Jack Ryan texting the premiere of Russia basically, yeah right, like that that's to me the essence of drama, and this one kind of loses sight of that, which is just a shame because all the ingredients are there. Yeah yeah, right, So the movie ends, and I certainly was not like, oh that sucked. I just thought it was kind of mid and I'm like, I hope we get another one because I'd like to see them get it right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, interesting because I love those movies and I think I think Krasinski is terrific as Ryan. But that movie is streaming on Prime Video and also on Prime Video starting next week as we record. This is Spider Noir.
Speaker 1: Now this I'm very very curious about.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So this is an eight episode series that is part of Sony, you know, and its efforts to to you know, allah Marge Simpson in the Chanelle dress, like, how many, how many ensembles can we get out of this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, that's Sony with their packet of Spider Man rights. Yeah, so they tried the thing like, hey, let's make movies out of Spider Man villains. And after like the fourth one, people like stop for the love of God, stop right right after Craving the Hunter. It's like God Man just like no, no, right, And so this is instead, it's it's produced by Lord and Miller. Well, and it is ostensibly based on the Nicholas Cage Spider Man Noir character from the Spider Verse movies. There's the connection, yeah, but this is not tifically that this is another variant. Oh really? Yes? Oh wow? And this is I mean that doesn't matter. I mean not really, I guess, but like I think there's some kind it's weird, right because the Spider Man rights are just sliced up like Deli meat between Sony and Disney. Right, So I think the way it works is like Sony has the live action feature rights okay, and the feature animation rights okay, and live action TV rights. I think that's right, okay, and then and then Disney has TV animation okay. So that's why on Disney Plus you've got like friendly Neighborhood Spider Man. That's a Disney joint, right, But Sony is not allowed to use Peter Parker in any movie that isn't the MCU Spider Man can.
Speaker 1: You imagine being in the meetings where they hashed all this out.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's a lot.
Speaker 1: I bet it was tedious, but also kind of fascinating, I think.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so this this is me trying to navigate through this mass, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in in the Spider Verse movies, Spider Man Noir is Peter Parker, but in this series is Ben Riley. Okay, right now, Ben Riley for those of you don't know, which I would assume is you Brian, correct? Ben Riley is the Spider Man clone character from the nineties. That's the that was the name that he gave.
Speaker 1: Okay, so wait, so he isn't Peter Parker, but he well well hold on, no, no, okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: At some point and this isn't a spoiler, but it alludes to the fact that so the show this is there's like a lot of legworking. So the show is set in like the thirties, right post war, and it's like a noir you know, I mean, it's smart. It's in the title. It's like a trying to be like a pre code Warner Brothers gangster picture, you know, sure doing that, And it alludes to the fact that Ben Riley he changed his name. M hm, so therefore he is Peter Parker. Okay, but but see this is this I actually mentioned this in my review. I'm like, it's kind of brilliant calling him Ben Riley, right, because like, if you say Peter Parker, that carries a certain set of expectations totally, and to some extent it takes you out of it because you're like, oh, Peter Parker spider Man, and this is like a noir story that has some Spider Man elements in it, but like you just take it for what it is totally right, And so you know, it's just Nicholas Cage, really, just Nicholas caging it up, right, So right, right, I'm a spider, I'm a detective. You know, it's just him doing that.
Speaker 1: So he is, he is caging it up, oh big time.
Speaker 2: He's having fun. That sounds great. I mean, I mean there's literally points in the thing where he's like yeah, she yeah, yeah, He's literally and I'm like, I love this. I love I love that Nicholas Cage is in his happy place. He's sixty plus, right, and he's like, I'm just gonna play black and white Spider Man going yeah, yeah, wait the whole time or the whole time occasionally, and it's clearly he's like channeling Edward g Robinson. It's it's it's textual, you know. Yeah. Yeah. But but I went in expecting not much, and I was I was quite surprised. I enjoyed it quite a bit. I found it very fun. You know. In addition to Nicolas Cage, you've got Brendan Gleeson, okay, who's got this great uh you know, Chief O'Hara Irish accent. He plays a mob boss called silver Main, okay, and he's hamming it up. You get Lamar and Morris is in there, Jack Houston, and they're all playing like Spider Man characters. But it's you know, this is again, this is Marge and the Chanel dress. We're pretty far down the road at this point from what that dress started out, as you know, but there's some traces. There's traces, there's traces exactly, and I'm kind of like, look, if Sony's gonna do stuff like this, then I'll at least applaud the effort because they're they're they're trying to mix it up a little, you know. Yeah, yeah, so I would be totally down with seeing another season of this. Great.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to watch this.
Speaker 2: And and it's available in two flavors, so you have authentic black and white and then true hue color hmmm. And so you watch it in black and white and it gives you something, you know, you feel like you're gonna se Jimmy Cagney walk down the street, you know. And then the true Hugh kind of it has this like almost it I mean, it looks colorized. So to me it evokes like Dick Tracy the warrant Baty to crazy. Yeah yeah, but it's fun. I enjoyed it great. That's two things on prime video, but two very different reactions.
Speaker 1: I'm really looking forward to the Spider Man one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so that is that. Hey, we we we got a couple listener letters here, Brian, you have eighteen thousand all addressed.
Speaker 1: You've got, you know, just right off the bad I want to mention this.
Speaker 3: Our friend Bushra saw the movie Michael, the Michael Jackson Pick and she had the funniest take on it. I had to share where she was like, you know, for me, it sort of played like a Burns for all seasons. You know, when mister Burns had that propaganda movie made for him where it like.
Speaker 1: Completely made him like.
Speaker 3: Like the greatest hero whoever, was directed by senior spell Ergo and I was like, that's totally that's pretty good, that's pretty apt.
Speaker 2: We just needed Chuck Caston being like, you truly are king of.
Speaker 1: Kings, uli are the king of pop?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I thought that was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Well, you know they're they're hard at work on that sequel that's a coming.
Speaker 1: Have you heard about this? By the way, Like.
Speaker 3: Obviously the question is whatever is left in his life to cover is really dicey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's gonna take us down some some depressing corridors.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, so the first movie contorted itself, however, it could as awkwardly as it was at times, to avoid making him seem even slightly even like offbeat, you know what I mean. He's just Saint Michael for the whole movie. And so how do you possibly cover these later years in a sequel? And what I read yesterday, I don't have it in front of me, but someone at Line'sgate was like, well, we don't necessarily have to go forward. There's a lot of things we didn't cover in the first movie. We can it can jump around in time, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, you guys really just stepped in it, Like.
Speaker 2: You can tell this guy was just like riffing off the top of his head. Well I think this is I think it was like, yeah, see, definitely that definitely that.
Speaker 3: But also this clearly wasn't the plan, right, I mean, they did make a movie that went into the Neverland ranch and the police coming in, and like they did do that. Then they had to go back and change everything, and they put out something that everybody really liked that just didn't get into any sort of controversy or questioning anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, well here's the here's the quote. This is from from Adam foegel Send, he's the head of Lions Gaty says, all the conversations that we've been having with all of the appropriate parties continue to go exceptionally well. And I would say that there's a ton of incredibly entertaining Michael Jackson's story and much of the biggest and most popular parts of his music catalog that were not touched upon in the first film. I actually don't think that's true because because even in terms of.
Speaker 3: His music to think that anything I mean, dangerous of course was a big hit in its own right. But yeah, yeah, but but I mean to say that that was you know, thriller is thriller, right.
Speaker 1: But but but what I mean is this is this.
Speaker 2: Is the big Yeah. Please we can go forwards and backwards and telling the story. There's so many he wants to do, like Godfather Part two basically.
Speaker 3: Oh dude, they're gonna oh you a big check, Like I think you just cracked it for them.
Speaker 2: There's so many other events that happened even in the timeframe of the original movie that weren't touched upon. No, so you may still get your Joe Jackson abusing Michael moments that you wanted more of.
Speaker 3: Obviously that's not true. Well no, but you no, but but but he is. He is referring to me saying that I think they sanitized Joe Jackson a little bit as awful as he still came across.
Speaker 2: But also, I mean, yeah, I just remember you saying I wanted more of the child being beaten, and you were very like exercised about it. I was actually like I had to take off my headphones. You were that there was there's so much distortion in my in my headset.
Speaker 3: I kept being like, if I could return to my earlier point, Zachi before you cut me off, before he changed the subjects No, but I.
Speaker 2: Mean, obviously you make a good point. Obviously.
Speaker 3: I mean I was saying, you know, we didn't even touch on him dating Brooks Shields, which is kind of interesting for a myriad of reasons. The weird rumors that started going out on around him about him being sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber. And I'm not saying I want them to point at him and say, isn't this guy weird? But like these were, this was a big part of who he was in the public's consciousness. Why not address it? How did he feel about that? I do think that would make for a more textured and interesting look at him. But what I think is interesting is they realized if we take all of that stuff out and just make him Saint Michael, that's a winning formula, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: That worked. Nobody cared that we didn't address any of the other stuff or even go very deep.
Speaker 2: So I think that gets a lot harder to do with the second half of his life.
Speaker 3: But that's why I find it so fascinating. They're like, why go forward, Let's go back again, Let's go back again.
Speaker 1: I just think that's like amazing.
Speaker 2: Captain EO.
Speaker 1: They didn't even cover, you know.
Speaker 3: I smooth, Yeah, exactly. There's so much they didn't touch on in that era. So I mean they must be thinking multiple movies, not just one. So maybe this one will fill in the gaps. Like you said, it might be sort of a Godfather too situation, like jumping back and forth, and then I'm sure they'll leave room for a third one.
Speaker 2: Good lord.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, I thought that was pretty fascinating anyway.
Speaker 2: So that was our listener letter section. Thank you. Yeah, yeah, no, we got a ton of letters regarding our commentary track for all the presidents. Been an hour to share some of those. Yeah. Here, So this is a note we got from Adam O and he says, damn, I listened to your commentary of all the President's men during the weirdest week possible for nostalgia for traditional media. During my senior year in high school, I was fortunate to work as a part time sports reporter from my local paper, the Douglas County News Review in Roseberg, Oregon. Last year the paper went to a weekly print edition rather than daily, and this last Friday, April twenty fourth, they published their last print edition after one hundred and fifty eight years. My working life started at another newspaper, as a paper boy for the Juno Empire, which is now a shell of itself. I'm also a fan of movies set or partially set in a newsroom. The chaos always makes me remember those Friday and Saturday nights when all of us sports reporters were calling coaches and trying to fill in stats for the local prep games, especially on a Saturday night with the midnight deadline approaching, so Craig the sports editor could get everything laid out and sent to the printing plant. A movie I would suggest is the Ron Howard directed film The Paper. It captures that manic energy and has an amazing ensemble cast Michael Keaton, Mursa Tome, Robert Duval, Glenn Close, Randy Quaid, Katherine O'Hara, and more. It's one of my comfort food movies that I'll throw on when I can't sleep and just need something familiar to drift off to. But then we'll pull it up a day or two later. Because I want to watch it. I also want to put in a plug for the listeners to support your local journalism. Maybe buy a digital subscription to your local paper or pick up a print edition once in a while. I know not everyone can afford to do that, but if you're able, please consider it. Well. Traditional media may have its flaws, it's also a fundamental backbone of ensuring we maintain and inform public. Thanks again for another great commentary.
Speaker 1: I love every part of that, Adam, Thank you.
Speaker 2: I love the paper. You've seen that, right, Yes, yeah, Ron, that is a good flick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I kind of forgotten.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and yeah, I mean, gosh, when it comes to news, I do try to put my money where my mouth is that, you know. I buy digital subscriptions, actually more more outlets than I read. I subscribe to m because exactly that. You know, it's if you don't pay for it, then we'll all pay for it. Very good. Yeah. Yeah, here's I know. We got from Charles Ogan, who says, I enjoyed your recent commentary on all the President's Men. It's always nice to hear you speak fondly of the College, College of Page and Wheaton. Well, gosh, that's our origin story right. When you mentioned missing Bernstein at College of Due Page, it triggered a memory for me. After graduating from DePaul Law School, but before I received my bar results, my mom set me up for lunch with a lawyer friend of hers. The idea was that this respected attorney could offer some sage advice on how to succeed as a new lawyer in du Page County and hopefully point me toward a few job leads. The day came and I put on my nicest and only suit and met this older lawyer for lunch in Wheaton. When I arrived, I was surprised to see another man sitting with him. Both stood up and greeted me, and my contact said, I hope you don't mind. I invited al Woodward, one of my partners. Yes, that Alfred Woodward, the respected retired judge and father of Bob Woodward.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: The three of us made small talk and I received my share of advice on how to build a legal career into Page County. Midway through the conversation, I finally worked up the courage to bring up all the presidents men and his son. I remember asking Judge Woodward what it felt like to have someone like Robert Redford portrays on. He smiled and said it didn't feel bad. Redford is a good man. That brief interaction has lingered in my mind far more than most of the advice I received that day. Thank you again for the commentary. It not only brought back this memory but also prompted me to rewatch all the presidents men last night. It was just as enjoyable as I remembered.
Speaker 3: Amazing, and we bring that up in the commentary. I went to Wheaton Warnville South High School and Bob Woodward graduated from there, so that was kind of a point of pride for the school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I missed out on my chance to see Carl Bernstein had called.
Speaker 1: You to pay That's.
Speaker 2: A point of pride for me. Here's a comment we got from Luke Smail on YouTube, and this is also with regards to all the presidents man. He says, another superb commentary by you guys, very informative and Zachie, well done for keeping the comparisons between then politically and now to a minimum. As I would have been like, that is just like what's happening every three minutes right a few years ago I actually sat down and watched the Richard Nixon trilogy, The Post All, The President's Men, and Frost Nixon. Right, that's like the Richard Nixon Journalism trilogy.
Speaker 1: Go on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like Palpatine in the original trilogy, the lead villain doesn't appear until the third film. If you really want to go, Banana's Point Break can be the spinoff film in the side. I am not a crook like you guys. I have a love of investigative journalism films. And another one I would add is The Killing Fields. Oh that's a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I haven't seen in school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I saw just recently. Redford was really on fire during the seventies and one of his most underrated films is The Candidate, which I only saw after he passed away and loved the hell out of amazing film if you've never seen him. If you want to see some great DVD extra features, the DVD for the twenty fifth anniversary of All the Presidents Men has interviews with Ben Bradley and Woodstain, both of them they discussed journalism then versus in the early two thousands, and it's well worth a look. And that too, that's like twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: Now that's wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nineteen seventy six had some amazing films, so I look forward to more commentaries from this year.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 2: There we go, And then here's a note we got from Melissa Nicholson and this is in regards to you and I. We were talking about the trailer for the Harry Potter series that's coming up on Oh, yes, that's right, and we were both like, well, we're not the audience for this, yes, yes, yes, so please help us. Yeah. So Melissa Julie answered, she said, hey, Zachie and Brian love the recent episode of the podcast probably laughed a little too hard at Melatonin Man and baby Yoda.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny. When I saw it last night.
Speaker 3: I called my mom afterwards when I was driving home, just to chit chat, and she jokingly was like, so, how's melatonin man.
Speaker 1: That's so I thank you for fringing that up, Melissa.
Speaker 2: And we'll be talking about that later in the episode. When you were talking about the latest Harry Potter series that will be coming out soon, I wanted to share my thoughts. I've been Harry Potter fans since the beginning, which makes it twenty nine years ouch. It was a book I immediately loved, enjoyed. It felt down to earth, relatable, and then you get into the magical world and follow Harry on his journey through life and as he becomes a wizard. There are so many wonderful characters that you begin to know and love. I went through my read of the book, watch the movie, my mom and I went to everyone and enjoyed it all. There were honestly no nitpicks. That's the movies. That's nice. Now comes along a TV series of a movie and book series. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about something essentially being rebooted into something new. I know I do not like the look of it. It feels bland and sterile. Somehow, the original movies felt so warm and cozy, and it became dark when it needed to, which was further into the film series. Yet it still had those warm moments, especially in the first film. Chris Columbus brought that whole world to life and then some It's absolutely incredible. It still blows my mind to this day that those candles in the main hall of Hogwarts were done practically. Those are all real candles. Yeah, I feel like they're doing this to bring a new generation into the world of Harry Potter, but make it more fresh and new looking. It could also be an attempt to bring fans back into it, because I felt the fandom did take a hit from all the JK. Rowling thoughts and opinions. For me, I don't agree on any level with Rowling, but I separate the two. Rowling is in their own little bubble of nonsense and thoughts in the Magical Worlds in its own, remaining untainted. I choose to do it that way because I love Harry Potter so much and I wouldn't want the author's opinions to ruin it for me. When I saw the trailer for the new series, the vibe was off, and like I said before, the look of it was very different and felt so bland. Seeing new people in roles that became very familiar to me was weird. The actors who played the roles in the movies became those characters and you couldn't se anyone else playing it. Here we have a whole new group of people coming along to play these beloved characters. I feel it's too different and just doesn't feel right. This is only a trailer after also, maybe it's not so bad, but my immediate thought is this isn't for me, and that's okay. The original became a millennial generation Star Wars where it just blew up and became a phenomenon for many. I was a part of that, which is pretty neat to think. I hope that this new series captures an audience and maybe this is the stepping stone for them to explore the older films and the books, because there will be those who haven't yet heard of them yet. This new series will be something for someone, and I hope it's enjoyed. That's a that's a nice perspective.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking that.
Speaker 2: Yep. Yeah, and then Melissa says, PS, glad you finally got your teeth delt with Brian. Thank you. Sounds sounds like the whole process was like pulling teeth. Yes, I'm glad your tooth situation is done to thank you. Yeah. I mean, I have no no steak in any of the Harry Potter stuff, but I mean I guess ultimately that's what it is, right, Like, the the new thing is going to be somebody's entree into all of it, and you know, just.
Speaker 1: Hope it's good. Hope it's good for them.
Speaker 2: Right now, my nieces, my brother's daughters, they're watching the modern Planet of the Apes films for the first time, okay, and so Rise of the Planet Apes is they're entree into that, and I'm like, well, I hope you know they'll go back and watch the sixty eight one at some point. I'd love to hear their thoughts on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd be very curious.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing, right, It's like, Creed is somebody's first Rocky movie, totally, totally, and this isn't exactly that, And I understand people being very precious about it. And it does get messy because JK. Rowling is pretty obnoxious.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of factors here.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, I really appreciate Melissa's take because you know, when I was a little bit younger, I did have the feeling where you can't do that this is this is the thing. How can you assume that anyone else could accept anything else as the thing. But as I get older and time march is on, you realize there's just cycles of things, you know, and this is a new cycle, you know. I'm like, finally, old enough to now see that, and it's like, Okay, well I had my cycle and it's pretty good and people seem to like it still. So at some point, you know, it makes sense to recycle something maybe possibly and hopefully it speaks.
Speaker 1: To you know, the generation coming up now.
Speaker 2: Well, as is sort of the unofficial mantra of the movie film show, it's not a better friend than Froggy, just different, just different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we can feel that the older is more successful, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: That doesn't mean that.
Speaker 3: This is the only version that's going to be good for them, but if it gets them interested in something that's great and something that was always good is always going to be good. So, like you were saying about the plan of the Apes, hopefully it brings people back to the older thing that they might not have checked out otherwise. Right, you know that's what I'm trying to say. I don't mean to dismit, dismissed the past.
Speaker 2: Well, it's sort of like I remember being a little kid and growing up with obviously growing up with Christopher Reeve as Superman, and then I saw a picture of George Reeves as you know, the TV Superman and being like the hell is that? Yeah? Right, yeah, and no, there's only one Superman, you know, and then obviously you you know, you're like, no, well, that's part of the history. And guess what, Christopher is part of the history is not the end of the history. And on it goes, and and I think there there is that sense of, you know, I would imagine that for a lot of fans of Harry Potter films, there was that sense of like, well, these movies are going to be the testament to this franchise.
Speaker 1: Like the Wizard of Oz, like they'll be here in a hundred years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly right. And and when you think about it, I mean, the list of movies like that keeps getting shorter, right, yeah, yeah, I mean the fact that we have not gotten just a straight remake of Wizard of Oz is kind of astounding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 2: You know, one would have assumed that Lord of the Rings is somewhere in that boat, right, like, well, you're not going to touch these but who the hell knows?
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, give it time.
Speaker 2: Give it time. And that's kind of my my thought on all of this stuff, like well, you know, how precious do you want to be about this? But again, there is just that there is the general ick factor of Rowling, and I would imagine that that Potter fans just have to sort of come to their own, you know, the place of being comfortable with they're not comfortable with it, with putting putting money in her pocket, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: That's that's challenging, I know, And we talk about this often.
Speaker 3: There's so many figures like that where we have to figure out ourselves who we can separate art from artists? Well, but you know, some we can, so we can't. It's always it's it's personal for everyone.
Speaker 2: It really is. I mean, one thing I think about a lot is the fact that James Bond is now fully owned by a Bond villain at Jeff Bezos. And I'm like, I don't. I don't want to support that guy, you know, right, But you know, yeah, that's just where we are. Welcome to the welcome to the twenty first century, I know.
Speaker 3: And I mean, if I'm being honest, I don't know why I'm dragging myself into this, but like, yeah, I mean, you hear a lot of things about the way Amazon is run that don't sound so great, and yet I order from them all the time. It's just the weird sort of you know, split personality. It's sort of thing we have to deal with with that kind of stuff living in the twenty first century.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's tough, you know, mm hmm, it's it's it is a challenge. Yeah. And and there there is no there's no there is no easy answer. Yeah. Hey, we got some headlines though, extra all right. So, uh, you know, you know the Odyssey Is is coming up in a few months. You excited for that? I am.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a new trailer, newish trailer out now, and uh, I like the first one, but I really like the second one. I feel like it digs into the story even more, you know, shows sort of uh what everyone's up against and the villainy and you know, the people being oppressed. And I was like, oh, this is meaty, this is this is what I needed to get even more excited about this.
Speaker 2: What's funny is there has been like a barrage of critiques being lobbed at this movie, some of which are are comical and some of which are well, I would say the majority of them are comical. Mm hm. One I've seen a lot of is the fact that everyone in the film is speaking in like a traditional American accent.
Speaker 1: Sure, which, by the way, I forgot to mention this, but I rewatched Amadaeus recently and I hadn't seen that since maybe school, right, And I was initially struck that everyone is speaking like a modern sort of sounding English, you know, not even trying to do like a British.
Speaker 2: Or italianate Atlantic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, any sort of accents. I was like, oh, that's a choice. But you know what, if that's what's going to allow the actors to give their best performance, you know what I mean, not fighting through mimicking some sort of accent, then like, I don't know, I can I can adapt to that.
Speaker 2: Well, this is the thing, right because because in the trailer you have you know, Tom Holland and Robert Pattinson, you know, trading barbs, and both of them are not American.
Speaker 1: Oh that's true, that's true, I sayd.
Speaker 2: Both of them are like, well, my dad's coming back and your dad's not coming back. That's true. That's basic, right, It's like dad, you know, there's a lot of that on the internet.
Speaker 3: I don't even remember that, he says, Dad. That's funny though, versus father or something a little more right.
Speaker 2: And I was thinking about this, and I'm like, well, if I were to guess, yeah, this is a sop to the fact that Matt Damon is Matt Damon, and I don't know how how much skill he has with accents, right.
Speaker 3: So it starts at the top and works its way down. It's like, oh, I think, Matt, it's not going to be doing an accent, right.
Speaker 2: But I was thinking about this, I was like, this is this is CA nineteen syndrome? Yes, right, Like what's more distracting? So for those of you who don't know CAN nineteen. The Widow Maker is a submarine thriller directed by Catherine Bigelow. It stars Harrison Ford as a Russian submarine captain. And Harrison Ford was bound and determined to do a Russian accent. And I would imagine the folks at various points in the food chain were like, please, for the love of God, don't do a Russian accent right, right, right? And he was like, I'm going to do a Russian accent, God damn it, right, And he tried and he said he will not fail. But he failed because all you hear is is this boris bad. Enough accent coming out of Harrison Ford's face and it breaks your immersion, which.
Speaker 1: Makes you realize.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's one of the biggest stars, one of the most beloved movie stars in the world, but he has his lane right, right. He doesn't often veer out of being a Harrison Ford type.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Even it makes me think of the movie forty two, that Jackie Robinson movie, and I remember he's trying to play like a krusty nineteen thirties, forties whatever, yeah, type of guy, and you're like, you know, like maybe should have just been more himself or something. It's putting on some sort of you know, these like characteristics that don't feel like they come naturally out of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, like like Sean Connery, whether he played an Irish beat cup or a Russian submarine captain or James effing Bond, he always shounded a shame because that's Sean effing Connery.
Speaker 1: Yep, that's why you hired Sean Connery.
Speaker 2: That's right. So I think with The Odyssey, this is just my guess. I don't I don't know. I think it's like Matt Damon speaking in an accent will be more distracting than just him speaking like Matt Damon, and so they that's what they you know, It's kind of like in Wonder Woman, everybody speaks in an Israeli accent. Because yeah, I'm not making a joke. I mean, no, no, I know, I know, I know.
Speaker 1: Well, actually I was sort of I was trying to remember, but I'd forgotten about it.
Speaker 2: It's true, like Connie Neilson and Robin Right and all of them, they're doing like a version of her accent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just been a minute since I've seen I'm trying to hear it again in my head. But anyway, yes, yes, yes, exactly, exactly right.
Speaker 2: So anyway, it's just funny because I feel like we're at that point now where Christopher Nolan has achieved enough success where now you've got the folks who are lying in wait for him to fail. Mmmm yeah, and Nolan's like, we will not fail. See what happens in my cover like Harrison Ford's Russian accent. I don't know. And then the other controversy, which is either more concerning or stupid, or maybe both, is the fact that Nolan cast Lupita Neango as Helen of Troy. People very upset about this, Brian, I don't know. You may not believe this, Brian. Folks on the internet are upset about this.
Speaker 1: I'm having our time imagining it. Now.
Speaker 2: Now here's the thing. Okay, you have people who are like they're changing history, they're changing It's not real. None of it is real, all right Now. The only requirement for Helen of Troy is she was so beautiful that a war started for her. Now here's the thing. If you can look at Lupita Nango and say she is not suited to play Helen of Troy, I think we know the reason why you think that, right right, Like you're telling on yourself.
Speaker 3: It almost makes me want to be like, explain right exactly, go ahead, tell me, yeah, I'll give you all the rope you need.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, Yes, I won't even interrupt. Go ahead, you know, because.
Speaker 2: Because she's objectively gorgeous. Yes, so it's you know, so Elon Musk of course is out there just on Front Street showing his whole entire ass being like Christopher Nolan is just giving into DEI and all this stuff. I'm like, and I was just like does this stuff even work anymore? You know, like like like you know what I mean, because here's that that movie is gonna come out in July and it's going to be a massive hit and all you all people are gonna look like dumb asses.
Speaker 3: Right right right right, So it's like, what what are we even doing? He makes me think of that Tucker Carlson impersonation.
Speaker 2: What are you going on? That's the goal?
Speaker 1: Now, I really love that. That's like the first impersonation that's like stuck with me in a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's yeah.
Speaker 3: I got a little tripped up as you were talking because I was just like, wow, So just anybody's thoughts at like two a m. No matter who they are, on any topic, Like we're just getting it all the time, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Elon Musk, like what like, well, why why do I know this?
Speaker 2: Like this is the problem when these gazillionaires own everything, That's what you realize, right, Like we are forced to be subjected to this, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh oh absolutely, yeah, yeah yeah right, It's just.
Speaker 2: It's it's hilarious to me because I'm like, this is it is a fantasy story. It is the equivalent of pointing at Star Wars and being like, why y'all changing history? It was set, you know, a long time ago, and and I don't remember it being like that. You know, it's it's or it's like the Mummy, you know what I mean. It's fiction. It is not it's not based on any history, right, right, it's really weird. You know. I'm tired, Brian, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I know, I know, I'm tired.
Speaker 2: Uh. Speaking of tired, Hey, the the final Stephen Colbert Late Show aired last night, and I'm tired because I was up late watching it. Oh how was I?
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it. I saw the headline.
Speaker 3: I saw that Paul McCartney was there, which I was like, of course that's perfect.
Speaker 1: Right, that's sold in theater.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, Yeah, because they're they're they're shutting down the Ed Sullivan basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you know, this past month I would say has been sort of a you know, an honor guard for for Colbert, as all these people have been coming on and talking about how much they love, how important he is and and and I don't know how you couldn't get a big head after all that.
Speaker 1: Sure, I would.
Speaker 2: Imagine it's a bit like attending your own funeral, right, yeah, yeah, right, you know or your own wake. The only thought. I mean, it's like, there is the politics of it, and we already know what likely led to the cancelation whatever. I'm not going to get at all that we talked about that before. But but the thought I had was, let's be honest, this is just the first of these, right, Like I can't remember who said this, but somebody was like, this current batch of late night hosts are probably the final batch.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, right, and this is the beginning of the end of that.
Speaker 2: Right, Like there's something when you put it that way, like there will probably not be a late night show after Seth Myers. There will probably not be, you know, a Tonight Show after Jimmy Kimmel, although if anyone is going to hang in there, it would probably be the Tonight Show because it is such a storied franchise. But then again, you would think that CBS would have wanted to keep the lights on at the late show. There's just something to that, you know, And you can tell there is this sort of like, oh, Letterman was never political. I'm like, really right, right, you know, Oh, Johnny Carson, It's like, yeah, Carson played to the middle of the country, but Johnny Carson made fun of every president. That's what that means. Right, there's the sense of like, no, if my guy is in office, you don't make fun of him. That's sort of you know, And it's like, well, no, that it used to be. We could all agree that you laugh at the president's that's what it used to be, right, right, And I wish that hadn't changed, you know, I don't know, I know, I know, I think it's still mark of a healthy democracy when you poke fun at the person in charge, whibard, it's because it's the boss, and yeah, keeping them in check exactly, you know. So that was you know, there was just something that made me a little sad about that about sort of like I mean, these late night shows you and I talk about often, like, well, they mean something to us and our generation. That is not the case for the one after us. So it's not surprising that they're all there. They're social relevance, their cultural relevance has start to fritter away, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting too, because I mean it's not unique to our generation. I mean, this is something that's gone on, you know, years and years before us, right, I Mean, these are generations of having late night talk show hosts. It's it's not like we're just losing something that's like a thirty year old true, that's rail type of thing like this is goes way way back, I mean all the way even really to the days of radio. So it's just kind of sad seeing the beginning of the end of something that's been around for a very long time. I mean, it happens, it happens, but it's still sad to see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think there's just there is something that is plain to see in how fractured everyone has become, not just in their politics, in every kind of Siloh and that's not good. That's how you get that's how you get your elons being like yeah, Helen of Troy and his you know Amen corner, all the people who hit like being like yeah, tell them Steve Dave, you know Steve Dave Right, Like, I think all of this is bad because it used to be some I don't care if you're the richest man in the world, if you're like yeah, Helen of Troy, peopleould be like that's freaking stupid. Yeah, yeah, yeah, And there would be like like like society would sort of have a a balancing effect.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: And and I don't know it. I think these these benchmarks, these touchstones, the more they fade away, Like you remember when Carson went off the air, Oh yeah, right, even if even people who didn't watch it but were around that back then, remember what that was. I mean it was that was a moment.
Speaker 1: I was young, and I knew it was a moment exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, And and I don't think there's anything comparable to that, you know, yeah, yeah, which is a shame. You know, maybe when mister Beast stops doing his YouTube, that'll.
Speaker 3: Be another generation, you know, Like I don't know what the version of Bette Midler singing to him on a desk is, but he'll he'll have.
Speaker 1: That, you know, like that's is so funny. Yep, But that's what it is, right.
Speaker 3: I Mean, if people are watching or talking about a moment from the Tonight Show or Late Night or whatever, more than likely they're talking about a clip they saw on YouTube. That's right, then something they actually saw in the moment the previous night on TV.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So and that's just a big part of this. Yeah, why this is going away.
Speaker 2: Now, one thing I would recommend, not in his last show, but his next to last show. You know, I don't know if you ever watched the Late Show, but he would do the Colbert Questionnaire.
Speaker 1: Again, maybe clips from times.
Speaker 2: It's just you know, basically he had like this, this all started with this is a clip you and I talked about where he had Keanu Reeves on oh yes, and and they were talking about the up the then upcoming bill and Ted three and and Keanu is just kind of like, yeah, and they got to do all this and if they don't, you know, all of all of everything's going to end and everybody's die, and and just making conversation, Colbert is like, well, what happens when we die? Keanu Reeves? And Keanu Reeves thinks about it for a second and he says, I know the people who love us will miss us, and right, and that was how the audience reacted. Yeah, completely unexpected. And then you know Colbert has taken aback a little bit and he just kind of shakes his hand and it's a beautiful sentiment, it is. And Colbert has said that moment led him to say, I want an opportunity for these types of just off the cuff interactions with people and say, he came up with this, this series of questions that he asks his guests, and so they've been doing it for a long time. So for his last, next last show, he himself took the questionnaire.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting, but.
Speaker 2: Each question was asked by a different celebrity guest. And so if you go online, you'll see they have the extended version of this, which is about forty five minutes long. Oh wow, it's a lot of fun. Yeah, yeah, so worth a look. I think you might enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have to check that out. I would like to see that.
Speaker 2: You know. So God speed Stephen Colbert. He will be miss but he will be fine, of course. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's writing a Lord of the Rings movie right now.
Speaker 2: Right in the Lord of the Rings movie. And the great thing is is he is doing what many of us would like, which is if he wants, not a damn thing. Yeah, and that sound good, it.
Speaker 3: Really does, I mean, you know, and he's been he's had so many chapters and excelled in each of them. And yeah, not many people can say that, and you know, especially in his industry. And now it's cool that he's got another chapter set up. That is something he's very passionate about the world of Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 2: So that's you know, What's what's funny is is in that questionnaire session, I was mentioning one of the questions was asked by his wife, who came out and and I forgot what the question she asked us, But she says to him, remember thirty years ago when you and I were in Chicago and both of us were unemployed, and we didn't know we had a little baby. We didn't know what we were going to do. Could you have imagine back then, thirty years later you would be sitting here.
Speaker 3: That's funny because I was actually thinking, but I didn't say it. I wonder how he felt when he was on the Dana Carvey Show, right as a sketch performer, thinking like, dude, I'm on a show with one of the greatest who ever did it on SNL. This is a home run, this is going to launch me. And then that show was canceled almost immediately. That's right, And then he.
Speaker 2: Talks about he talks about it in that documentary about the Dana Carvey Show. He says it and when you're working you think, oh, that's it. I'm just going to work forever. And then when you're not working, you're like, well, that's it, I'm never working again. Uh huh. Yeah, and just that sense of like you just don't know what's around the corner exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right. But there's also something important there as well, which is that, you know the Dana Carvey Show, which lasted like like a minute and a half, you know, was it like canceled during a commercial break or something. I mean, all most you know, it lasted about six I've said this before that that show it aired when I was a junior in high school and I was doing entertainment reviews for our paper, and I wanted to review the Dana Carvey Show, and it was canceled before I could even because we were monthly, right, so like there was like no point, you know. Yeah, but but you know, he and Steve Corell came up together, and so they were already friends, and then after the Dana Carvey they were both on the Dana Carvey Show. Dana Carvey Show ends, and then Correll or no Colbert gets on The Daily Show, and then he gets Correl on there, and obviously neither of them has ever looked back. Yeah, right, but there's just something about you know, like you lift people up along the way, and your relationships that you build are what you carry with you from one experience to the next, right, like, because people will think of you when they don't have to. And and I can speak to this in terms of my own professional life. I know you can speak to this in terms of your professional life. That matters so much. Just just not even like just be decent, you know, yeah, just be a person and and that stuff. It pays dividends you can't even uh contemplate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and not just professionally but personally absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 2: You know. Anyway, that's it. We've so we've solved all of humanity's problems. Now it's it's been great. What hard? Sorry, Yes, that comes the greatest challenge of all, which we'll talk about right after this. And now we're pleased to bring you our features and we are back. And you know who else is back, Brian? Why it's.
Speaker 1: Who's that Zachy?
Speaker 2: Why it's the spawn of Jaba, the Hut Rata the Hut. Yeah, which if you have watched Star Wars, you know that we saw him as a baby in the Clone Wars animated movie that launched the Star Wars Clone Wars series. That's right.
Speaker 1: We get a little.
Speaker 3: Visual of that too, a little hollow picture of him as a little baby.
Speaker 2: That's right. Also back our din Jar and Grogu and oh, the Star Wars franchise on the big screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, since what seven years ago?
Speaker 2: Seven years, six and a half years? Wow, the Mandalorian and Grogu is the what are we up to now? Ten Star Wars movies? No? Eleven, eleven, right, twelve, twelve? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Solo? Yeah, well, I mean and then.
Speaker 2: Quickly if you want to include the Clone War I was just gonna say, yeah, yeah, yeah, thirteen. Okay, Well that as we record this. This is this is Friday morning that we're recording this. It has made twelve million from its Thursday previews. Not bad, which, yeah, that's I think that's somewhere around or just below what's Solo opened to back in twenty eighteen. I will say the theater I watched and I went I went to a two o'clock Imax screening and it was like two thirds full. So that was more than I would have expected, not because I had any expectations going on about the movie. I just you know, at that time of day, it was a big crowd for that time of day, is what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, well I guess as long as you said, I will say. I was in a neighborhood, not my normal neighborhood, a different one, and okay, just do to whatever. I had to see it somewhere else. So I was looking at theaters in the area, and I intentionally.
Speaker 2: You can admit, you have mob hit men who are staking out your name.
Speaker 1: It's been a very tricky month for me.
Speaker 3: No, but I went out of a out of my way to catch it in a theater with the most amount of people. I like looked and saw in my little regal network. I was like, which one has the biggest crowd, because I wanted to be around the energy and also see what the energy was for this movie. So that was my experience there. We go, okay, well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so well you know what, here's what I'm going to say. Yes, the problem that I have had with the Mandalorian serious concept from the beginning almost is that it is a costume, not a character. And this movie did nothing to dispel that. It really just underscored to me that I really don't find this character interesting at all. And so it was it was like, so I saw somebody online, be like, it felt like four episodes of the show, and I don't even think that. It felt like video game levels.
Speaker 1: I've seen both what you just said, Yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, it's like, oh, here's the thing. Now the Mandalorian comes in. Poo poo poo. Okay, done, now I'm moving. Oh, here's the bad. Here's a Mandalorian. Poop poo poo. And then we move on to the next level.
Speaker 3: Here, talk to this vendor. He'll give you some information. Then go to the next place.
Speaker 1: Poo poo poo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was so much of that, and it's just this guy who's face I can't freaking see.
Speaker 1: Yes, except for five minutes way.
Speaker 2: Too late in the movie. Yeah, and here's the thing. Okay, we'll talk about this more. But here's the thing. Okay, it's one thing. This is from the show. It's one thing. If the Mandalorians, like every single one of them, are like, no, no, bro, you don't take your mask off, right, No, No, it's this this sect of like real hardcore cultists right right, right, Like they're the weird ones yeah, yeah, right, right, right, right, right right. So you think the journey of the character would be like, oh, I can still be me without all this like cultist stuff. But instead the show kind of moved him a little off of that, and then they moved him back. I'm like, no, no, we can't change that. I'm like, but that's not interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, dude, I didn't know what. I had no idea what your opinion.
Speaker 2: Was this honestly, but I'll tell you something. I didn't even hate this movie. I really didn't. I did not hate it. I was just really apathetic, and and two thirds in I was like, I'm kind of done, you know. But I wasn't like sitting there hating it because I think just as like, just as like colored shit passing in front of your face. It's fine, fine, whatever.
Speaker 1: I feel so much. We're comfortable in my chair right now. I don't want to stop you. I don't want to stop you. I want you to keep there.
Speaker 2: There is a scene about two thirds of the way in where we where the Mandalorian is hurt. Okay, yes, and here's the thing. You're You're like, well, he's not gonna die, and they spend I'm gonna say, like twenty five minutes on him just being unconscious, and I was like, we get it, guys. Like to me, it's like because right after that there's a scene where he's back again and then he gets attacked by more monsters, and I was like, I want him to get bitten again and then have another twenty minutes of him being unconscious. Yeah. So honestly, I have so many thoughts, but I'm kind of like I'm I'm finally at a place where I'm like, I don't think Disney knows what they're doing, and it's now like they're so freaked out. They're like they're like Roger Myers.
Speaker 1: Like, you don't know what you want, right, right, right right.
Speaker 2: You don't want this, you don't want that. So they landed on something that I'm sure they thought, well, this is our safest bet because this is the thing that a plurality of fans have liked. Yeah, and so we end up with this thing that is well made. Problem uh huh. It's well made, it's well directed. Jon Favreau knows his way around this type of movie. Yes, I'm not interested in the character at all this that's my biggest problem. That's my I just can't get into him. Just take that effing helmet off. Give me Pedro Pascal. You know, yeah, right, I think Pedro Pascal gets top billing for I'm going to say five minutes because I don't believe that's him in any of the rest of.
Speaker 1: Oh no, it's I mean, it isn't. It's a bunch of stunt men.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you know, I don't know anyway this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love this. I okay, I do want to say this.
Speaker 3: Opinions are very very mixed online, and so I do want to acknowledge I have seen people enjoy this, and I am so happy for you, and I don't that's not condescension. I really am, like, I'm really happy that people are enjoying this. I think it's something you can take your kids to and they're probably gonna like it. It's an easy to follow adventure. I can only give you my feelings here. So you know you said you didn't feel this way, but I did feel like this movie felt like three decent enough episodes stitched together.
Speaker 1: And and what I mean.
Speaker 2: By that is.
Speaker 3: It we don't like the framework of that show is it is just sort of an episode of the week, you know, And so it's like we have our character and he wanders into a town and he meets an interesting guy or you know person and has to help them, and then it ends with our people walking off into the sunset again.
Speaker 1: And that's kind of what this felt like.
Speaker 3: I mean, Rada is probably the most interesting character in the movie, but he's always kind of in the back seat because we're following our you know, detective character, right, you know, it's always framed around our detective character like the show. But this character, to your point, has no personality, has no wants, has no needs, doesn't emote, is incapable of emoting, and so.
Speaker 2: His voice is this like it's it's just like this monotone.
Speaker 1: Which I don't I think there is a way you could make that kind of work too, but like this movie doesn't make any attempts at that.
Speaker 3: I mean, now my brain's all over the place because I have so much to say. But there are there are I would say, there low to basically no stakes for our hero right throughout this whole thing.
Speaker 2: Because he's the baddest badass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but what does he want? He doesn't need anything.
Speaker 3: He's just helping this guy because he's doing a task, and then that Rada kind of disappears for a little bit, like in the middle of the movie, and I was just like, so, so now we're back with this guy.
Speaker 1: Are what are the stakes? Like? What does he what does he need? What's the tension? There is none? Right, And then the.
Speaker 3: Action is well shot and I did enjoy it at first, but then it started to feel like a little repetitive to me. And and like you said, there's no moment where you think he's gonna lose a battle.
Speaker 1: So there's that, but you could say that about a lot of movies. But then I think, if I'm not mistaken, he fights a creature in a pit three times in this movie three times the same thing. He fights two water creatures twice, like in a pit, but they're different. Like so it was like, are you even trying?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So, but if this had been diced up into three episodes, I might not have clocked it as much.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know what I mean. So this just feels just everything about this felt there's some fun to be had on the surface, but the whole thing just felt very passive. Yeah to me, you know, the story, the character like everything. It just there was no immediacy. There was no in the first act like well, if we don't do this, all this is at stake, you might lose Grogu forever, you might die, and what will Grogu have, Like there's no the rebellion or the New Republic needs this or else. There's none of that.
Speaker 2: And one other thought about the Grogu of it all, it's like, dude, stop taking that kid with you like that.
Speaker 1: I had that feeling too when he was putting him in the seatbelt. I was like, maybe don't bring a kid into a battle. That's like you're irresponsible, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I know, but I will say, you know if I there were moments that I thought were fun, Like the opening I thought was very fun, Like, yeah, we begin on washers and stuff, and we get everything that I enjoy about Mandalorian and grog in that right. We get the Star Wars of it, we get the ad at walkers, we get stormtroopers, get like detonators, and we get the cuteness. We get how awesome and badass uh you know Mandalorian is. And then we get the cuteness of Grogu where he notices the little bombs, and it seems like Mandalorian isn't like aware of them, so Grog is like like tapping us tell me, like h Like I was like, this is okay, this is fun. But then after that, you know, when the story kicks in, is just just the most you know, stakeless sort of just hitting some beats, and it just felt yeah, I don't know, just like some okay episodes, ideas stitched together, and then they were like, let's put in theaters.
Speaker 2: Yeah it, you know, I mean they they kaibashed a fourth season of The Mandalorian in favor of this movie.
Speaker 3: That's what it feels like, that they took maybe their favorite ideas from those and smushed them together awkwardly into a feature film.
Speaker 2: And it's very odd because it's like, you know, it's like his his co pilot, his buddy that's Zeb from Rebels. Do you know his name from watching the movie? No?
Speaker 3: Like I recognize it, Like I know he's a character that I'm sure a certain group of fandom will love, but I don't really know who he is.
Speaker 2: See that's a problem, right, Like what what is what is his relationship with Mando? What? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like and does he have any sort of characteristics other than he just flies sometimes exactly. You know, there's he's never put in peril or you know, has feelings about anything like that.
Speaker 2: That's the that stuff. It's this is It's frustrating because because to me, this movie leans into just people's general familiarity with either broadly Star Wars or you know, these specific things in a way that works to the detriment of the story. MM because they're like, oh, we've built we made a story that will work even if you haven't seen this series, And I'm like, I don't believe you that. I don't. I don't. I think the only thing that would that would have you emotionally invested in in this is if you if you've seen you know, at least the first couple of seasons of the show.
Speaker 1: I agree with that, and also feel like it didn't have to be that way. Yeah, I mean the fact that you.
Speaker 3: Didn't generate any new stakes or things for them to you know, realize about one another or learned about themselves. Like, so this doesn't stand on its own in that way unless you don't care about that and you just want to see stuff happen for like two hours and maybe maybe you know, and and sometimes I can enjoy that sort of thing, but I just.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I said this before on a previous episode, but the fact that the second season and with with Mandalorian and grow Goop except rated. It's a great emotional moment, and then they decide to reunite them, not even in season three of the show, but in between in the Boba Fett show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, Yeah, yeah right.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this is proof you guys don't know what you're doing, because there's your story for the movie.
Speaker 1: Yo, totally, and that would have so much more emotion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, oh you know Grog who's been kidnapped from the Jedi school or something, and then Mandalorian has to rescued whatever.
Speaker 1: I don't know, you know, that would have been a good movie.
Speaker 2: There's it's very odd, you know. Well Ayead, sorry, Well I was just gonna say so. I took my older two so nineteen and seventeen, and my nineteen year old was like nah, and and my seventeen year old didn't like it at all. Yeah, and you know these are my I mean, gosh, I've been watching Star Wars movies with them since you know, Force awakens, right, Yeah, so going on that journey. But my, my, my, you know, my twelve year old he's like, oh, I want to go see it. So I do want to take him mm hmm, because I'd like to see what he thinks of it, totally, because I think that's important too. It's like, well, it's gonna mean different things based on the age that you're at, but certainly, yeah, for me, I was admittedly I did not have my coffee yesterday before going, so I did feel my eyes getting heavy.
Speaker 1: Zachy, so did I.
Speaker 3: Actually there was a moment where I closed my eyes because I was getting so tired, and I actually even thought I wouldn't I won't miss what's happening. I did think that, and then I thought, no, if I've got to talk about this, like I owe it to people who are actually giving their time to.
Speaker 2: I should watch Rad of the Hut flexing.
Speaker 1: Which, by the way, what an interesting idea.
Speaker 2: He was most interesting character in the movie in my.
Speaker 1: Opinion, completely agree like, but he feels like that sort of middle to backgrounded character in a law and Order episode where you're really just sticking in the perspective of the cop, you know, what I mean in every single episode and he just meets an interesting guy, but it's really more about the cop, you know, trying to get to the bottom of everything.
Speaker 3: But I was like, the whole idea. I mean, I feel like you could even take this story that they had and re you know, redo it a little bit to make it a more rounded out feeling movie.
Speaker 2: Event.
Speaker 3: I mean, Jaba the huts Son doesn't want to be seen, you know, like or thought of the way that people think of his father, So he wants to become his own person and he's going to do this thing, but he's mixed up in something that isn't is you know, more dangerous than he realizes, and that's interesting, you know, but it's all kind of, I don't know, felt slightly in the background or something, versus being what it was actually the movie is actually about. I mean, I know that's not exactly true, but somehow the way that it was all framed and following this protagonist, like we were saying, who has no face and does an emote and doesn't seem to have any skin in this game really except for making some bucks. Like it's just hard to get invested in all of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the movie alludes to a little bit where he's like, I don't work for gangsters anymore. Yeah, he's working with the New Republic. Mm hmm. Okay, well let's get into that a little bit totally right, Like again, just fundamentally, to me, all of this can be solved by not making him, you know, locked under that helmet. H I don't think there's any reason that he Again, to me, this is just like the difference between watching a show and a movie, because I didn't even like it in the show when he always had the helmet on. In a movie, they should we should have been way past that. We should be watching Pedro Pascal. He's got an interesting face. He's got an emotive face, right, remember and he says goodbye to Grogu in the second season.
Speaker 1: I do, yeah, I can picture that right now, you know, let us see his.
Speaker 3: Face, yeah, or even you know, I if you do want to keep that conceit. And I can understand that some people might be yelling back at us, like but that's the Mandalorian way, and like.
Speaker 2: It's a dumb way.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll actually say, I get it, but you've got to find interesting ways to play with it.
Speaker 2: You know, like do like they should do like RDJ iron Man right, Like.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's interesting, I was gonna say, or even it makes me think of in season one where they make such a big deal and we understand that Mandalorians don't take their helmets off, but he is willing to disgrace himself right by taking his helmet off because that's what he has to do.
Speaker 2: It's like him.
Speaker 3: Denying his religion or something, right, but he's willing to do that in order to get Grogu back. And that's the moment I remember, out of all the seasons, I thought that was so powerful and heartfelt and amazing, And after spending all these episodes with his stoic character, seeing him willing to do that to himself because he's so passionate about this kid where it seemed unlikely that he would have this relationship with this little kid.
Speaker 1: It's amazing.
Speaker 3: But there's nothing in this movie that even approaches that level of emotion. And I was like, well, that's a problem. I mean, a movie's got to be something that's worth leaving your house for. It's like this couldn't be contained on a streaming service. You need to leave your house and pay twenty dollars to go see this. That's how big this story is. That's how much bigger this story is. And this didn't even come close to being that. And it's funny because I know we're being kind of hard on it, and we're like raising our voices and stuff, and I think that's because we care so much, you know what I mean. And it's really hard to feel let down by something that I went in with kind of low expectations, admittedly, but it made me so disappointed that they didn't even like meet those expectations. Like I just felt so let down by this, and it makes me sad, you know. And and it's not even I think you said at the beginning, it's not even necessarily a bad movie. It's just really underwhelming and not at all what it should have been if this is gonna be their big Hey we're back in theaters.
Speaker 2: I mean, it isn't that just it's it really does feel like a placeholder, which if you're not like under the gun legally to get something out like this is you know, it's like we were talking about Lord of the Rings, you know, a couple of years ago they put out that animated movie, Yes War of the will hear him and that was freaking rough man. But that was like what I described that movie as when I reviewed it. I was I was like, it's like running on a treadmill for two hours, Like you got your steps in, but you haven't gotten anywhere. Mm hmm. A little similar vibe here.
Speaker 1: Right, definitely, yeah, where.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, you know, we've been through all this, and it's certainly been loud, and there's certainly been a lot of explosions and things. But but I, you know, I I don't feel like like there's been any progression in the universe. And by the way, I'm not saying I'm not saying I need like death star level stakes in I would know I would say, I would say not that, please, right, But I want I want emotional progression. Yes, I want my guy to be at a different place at the end than he is at the beginning.
Speaker 3: And I don't get that sense at all. Completely agree that. I think that is the major problem with this movie.
Speaker 2: Just what you said, so pressure is on for a starfighter. I guess that's what this all means.
Speaker 3: But you know, I just get the feeling that that's going to be a little bit more in the arena that we expect.
Speaker 2: You know what, I'm not gonna have any expectations because that's what gets into trouble.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I just I'm just wondering why they felt the need to do this.
Speaker 2: I think it really comes down to them, well this is the safest bet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but why if they have one coming out next year? Like, why even do this this? This feels like they had like a shareholder's call and they had to be like, we've got a Star Wars movie coming or something.
Speaker 2: You got you got to like some guys sitting at the head of the table with a stogy. Well everybody, I mean like this Mandalorian, Yeah, yeah, this melowtonin man right right, right right, just give the give the kids, give those rubes some more.
Speaker 1: Of that, you know, right? Well yeah, no, please.
Speaker 2: No, I think that it It frustrates me because because, as I said, I think it is a well directed film in that all the action sequences and things are well staged. I mean, Fabro is just very good at this. Yeah, And so that's why I'm just like, I'm like picking apart, well, like where did this go wrong at a conceptual level? Did it go wrong at a at an execution level. I'm I'm I'm not entirely sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I don't know either, I mean I do.
Speaker 3: I want to note some of the things that I did enjoy though.
Speaker 2: Well, one thing I'll say before before, uh, the Mandalorian theme is a freaking banger.
Speaker 1: Man. Oh it's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right, And so we have our little opening action sequence, which is cool as we described, and then we hear and I was like, okay, here we go. I was excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too, you know.
Speaker 2: Uh, And I mean it is just a great piece of Star Wars music, that's all.
Speaker 1: No, I agree.
Speaker 3: I think it's iconic, honestly, Like you hear it, it's distinctive. You immediately it captures the vibe so well, it's great.
Speaker 2: Oh, by the way, I hope, I hope Ridley Scott gets a royalty check every time somebody pays homage to Blade Runner.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, yes, dude, I literally, okay, but.
Speaker 2: That is and I liked that sequence just to because I'm not making fun of it. I think it's very well executed. I'm like, man, it's like so clearly a Blade Runner homage. One.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, yes, you just said everything I was feeling, which is when it happened. I was, you know, a big complaint we bring up a lot, especially with some of these Star Wars shows and other streaming shows, is just depending leaning too hard on the volume, so it never feels like anybody's actually anywhere, you know, And I think I was hoping that wouldn't be the case with this movie. And I thought this movie did a very good job of creating at least what felt in most cases like real environments that they were walking through, and that sort of Blade Runner city scape in particular, I thought felt like a real, big, expansive location. And I did immediately clock like, oh, this he literally stepped into the set of Blade Runner.
Speaker 1: But this is.
Speaker 3: Great, Like this feels like a real place. This feels like, you know, his real splashes from puddles on the ground. And I really loved all that and all the Neon billboards.
Speaker 1: And things like that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, anyway, that was one of my my things that I did like a lot.
Speaker 2: I also like that that Martin Scorsese is it's just here and and you know, for all of his like cinema, it's like he's just he just plays a weird monkey guy. On Star Wars.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think about that the cinema thing.
Speaker 3: But he's he's playing the same species that John Favreau played in right, Yeah, that's right, Yeah, he's he's funny. It's this sort of nervous little informant.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very very Scorsese.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I think the thing this movie does best is its action sequences, as repetitive unfortunately as they get, it is cool like seeing him in that opening sequence when the camera goes through the little into the through a corridor into the base of an at at and then Mando enters, takes out all the guys and then follows him back into the piloting area.
Speaker 1: I was like, that was very cool. That's very well done. And he uses his blaster, he uses his little rope thing, he uses his flamethrower. He like, I thought that stuff was a lot of fun. And what it also does really well is the adorable puppets, right, like I mean the Babu Frick characters.
Speaker 2: Although I gotta say a little goes a long way with with with the Babu Frick people whatever they're called.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm understand that, but I think for me, they were making me light up anytime they appeared, just because it was like bringing me out of just sort of saminess.
Speaker 2: That's fair.
Speaker 1: And like when they just actually never got a lot of.
Speaker 2: Puppets in general though, yeah, I mean not just them, but.
Speaker 3: And they're they're clumsy looking, and I was like, that's kind of fun, Like I agree with that. And when they're just there's this static shot I think they're walking through a pipe and one of them is.
Speaker 1: Like big pipe. That's probably the hardest I laughed in the movie, I think.
Speaker 2: To your point about about like the action scenes or like when we see Mandalorian just like beating the living shit out of it of people in a room, right, and you watch it, you're like, guy is such a badass, right, But to me, like this is this is the dilemma, right, Like, like I'll give you an example. Just last week or two weeks ago on Disney Plus, they dropped a Punisher special, yes with John Brenthal, and there there is something comparable. Did you watch that by any chance? No? So there's a sequence in that special it's like forty five minute things. So basically this this this mob wife who the Punisher killed her whole family. She basically finds out where the punisher is. He's in like this apartment complex, and she puts up she sends out his location and puts a bounty on his head. Right, So it's like whatever, fifteen minutes of just people coming at him like video game characters, and he's just you know, they got they're advancing on him with axes and lead pipes and baseball bats and aks, and he's just I mean, it's like the raid, you know, yeah, ok, yeah, right, and you're like, man, what a badass? Right? But what the Special does that I think is necessary is it frames this sequence with I mean, it basically bookends it with his angst over all the killing he's done and how he misses his family and he's contemplating ending his life, and they're sort of an emotional framework, right, And I have and I've noted this in my view, I have qualms with how well those two elements merge together. But I understand the instinct because it's boring if you just have an an unbeatable badass just mowing through people, right, And so I was thinking about that while I was watching The Mandalorian. You know, light people on fire and then you know, do this, and I mean, you know what I mean, because it's just it's it's like we see that and then we see a version of that fifteen minutes later, and then another version of that ten minutes later, and you know, yeah, yeah, there there is there's no pattern interruption, and that's that's a problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we don't there's no mistakes. I keep saying it, but you know.
Speaker 3: And we don't. His goal doesn't feel dire, that's right, you know. And what's what does he need? You know, what does he want? Like, there's none of it. So it's just an excer It's like a video game. I think, like you said, you know, it's just going through the levels and mashing buttons and yeah, you know, I will say, you know, it's funny. By the way, as you were talking, it made me think.
Speaker 1: There's a moment.
Speaker 3: I won't spoil exactly what it is because we haven't gotten spoilers. I don't know that we need to. I've seen a lot of people joking online like I don't know how to spoil this movie.
Speaker 1: There are no spoilers.
Speaker 3: But the Jeb character, there's a moment where he's in a speeder. Yeah, with Mandalorian and.
Speaker 2: Like and it's zeb goddamn it. But somewhere first letter, well, there you.
Speaker 3: Go, apologies, zeb Uh, And something's happening is kind of funny, right and uh like right, Grogu's in a vehicle ahead of them and trying to help them, so anyway, but but zeb is just kind of commenting on what's happening, and it made me realize he has as much depth as a character and a theme park ride. Who's helping you through the rock? What looks like you missed us? Hey, I hope we can get We better get on that ship. Like that's about as deep as that character is.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's hilarious. That's really funny.
Speaker 3: You know what else I did kind of appreciate on just a you know, my new show of the movie. Some of the vehicles, the way that they move. I don't know if they're actually stop motion, but they are at least animated to look like they are stop motion. There's a jitteriness to them, like a two nine looking kind of thing.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: And I was like, that's cool. I gotta imagine that's Favreau.
Speaker 2: You're talking about, Like the intro sequence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those like little chicken Walker things, and I feel like there was a creature somewhere later also not the ones in the arena, but some other creature that moved a little jittery, like a stop motion thing, and I was like.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 3: It reminds me of the tactility from you know, the earlier films.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think this movie sort of hints at more broadly what's going on in the galaxy post return of the Jedi. And I think I would have liked, you know, of the Mandalorian being used as an on ramp into giving the audience a better sense of sort of the lay of things totally.
Speaker 1: That is a really fascinating moment, yeah, in this Star Wars history, and I would like exactly to dig into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because because I'm kind of like, well, there's this thirty year window between Jedi and the Force Awakens, so we know things are gonna head down a bad path again. And I'm and I'm I'm I'm not maybe this isn't the vehicle to do that, but I am like, you know, we can sort of use this canvas as a way to hint at some of the political strife or whatever in a in a in a in a in a more fleshed out sense, because what we see here isn't all that different from what we've gotten in the show. And maybe it's because the folks making it, making Star Wars right now don't really know how to get from Jedi to Force Awakens.
Speaker 1: There's also that or hasn't been decided yet. Yeah, yeah, they want to, they don't know.
Speaker 2: Yet, they don't know yet what what that roadmap is yep, yep, which I would say might have been something to figure out eleven years ago or so. But that's just me. Well, I'm just talking. That's just crazy talk for me. What do I know. I'm just a guy on a microphone. Yeah, anyway, speak.
Speaker 1: To me of Filony.
Speaker 3: We see him in the movie he gets I'm gonna say a couple of cameos.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say. Okay, So first of all, I said, I like Dave Filoni. I think his creative instincts are good overall, and I'm excited to see what he does with Star Wars. I would say in this movie, one cameo would have been fine, not a deal breaker for me at all, right, big picture, but I am like once is fine. Two seems indulgent to me, I don't disagree. I would say, either you wear the cowboy hat or you wear the x Wing helmet. You can't do both.
Speaker 3: It's just kind of funny. I mean it obviously stands out.
Speaker 2: A little bit. Yeah. Oh, and I didn't mind this according to me, right, I thought she was fine, she.
Speaker 1: Fits right in. I wish she had had more to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that, and I gotta say I was. I didn't mind seeing her as like a bureaucrat or an x Wing pilot, which that just tells you. That tells you, Sigourney Weaver, that's just how she is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, I agree.
Speaker 3: And when I saw that Jeremy Allen White was going to play a Hut, yes, I.
Speaker 1: Was like, what is that like? And I should I thought he did a really good job.
Speaker 2: He was good.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed him, kind of like tortured Jock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he brought surprising pathos to that performance.
Speaker 1: I yeah, I agree, I agree.
Speaker 2: So now is he speaking English or whatever you know, the interlact whatever the language they speak in Star Wars, or is he speaking Hut and we're just hearing English? Or like why am I asking?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, I mean We just talked about this, didn't we about John McTiernan and how it's kind of funny that he has multiple movies. Yeah, where they do that transition from one language into English for English speaking audience.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I sent you the clip from Thirteenth Warrior, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, which is pretty cool. It's amazing because it's not just like a quick transition. You're watching someone slowly learn English over time and seeing the English words start to trickle in amongst the language he doesn't understand, and it was it's brilliant.
Speaker 2: Really well done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but in this one it does nothing like that, just to be no, no, Well, it's funny because you see the hut twins, yes, and they're speaking Hutties, that's right, and then he one of them just starts speaking English, and so that's what I thought. I was like, oh, are they doing that McTiernan sort of transition, But then they I don't. I don't know, I don't know, unclear, unclear. I mean, I don't care.
Speaker 3: At the end of I saw some people upset about it online. I was like, I, at the end of the day, I guess I don't really care.
Speaker 2: But well, yola wonga, Oh he says that in the movie, I know made me happy, made me know that. Yeah. All right, well hey there we go the Mandalorian and grogu All right, well you.
Speaker 3: Want to know something bringing a miss, swinging a miss, swinging a miss, And I'll give like a little Brian personal anecdote here. I have to watch this movie three times in one weekend.
Speaker 2: I asked you, I said before no, And I so I had already watched this because I spoke to you on the phone and you were like, yeah, yeah, I'm going in a little bit, and then I'm going tomorrow with so and so. And I went on Sunday with so and so, and I was like, oh, so you sure you want to see these three times?
Speaker 3: No, I and thank you, thank you. You've always looked out for my personal wellbeing.
Speaker 1: I wanted to just you know, our schedule has been very difficult in the past couple of months, just with work and life and whatever, and we're getting back to something a little bit more scheduled, and I was happy about that.
Speaker 3: And so I thought, oh, there's an opportunity to see it this night. We can put this out in a timely way so people can watch the movie this weekend and listen to us right away, and I was excited about that. And now there are two of people who I very much want to see this movie with, but we couldn't all do it together.
Speaker 1: And it has worked out that I'm going to be seeing this movie three times now.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: I am a little curious how it's going to play, if I will.
Speaker 2: Like modulating expectations going into.
Speaker 3: Viewing two exactly that I'm looking forward to nothing as tired tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I think have my coffee beforehand. There's the takeaway.
Speaker 3: Definitely, And I am wondering, yes, if I will get on his wavelength a little more. I don't think it's going to change how I feel about it's lack of you know, emotions and stakes and all that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: But maybe I can.
Speaker 3: Just enjoy it as a you know, two hours super cut of a season of TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we'll see.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'll check back, but I just I was like, oh, man, I can't believe.
Speaker 2: I got four more hours of this in my future. Well, hey, in our next regular show, we'll be talking about a master's in the universe.
Speaker 3: So I am so excited and I don't want to get my hopes up. It seems like early reactions are pretty positive, so that makes me happy.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I'm I'm I haven't even looked at what people are saying, so at this point you.
Speaker 1: Know, well then I don't want to spoil it.
Speaker 2: You don't wanna, you don't wanna tarnish my perceptions.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I'm not. I was gonna say a little. I won't say anything. Well, we'll go in and we'll have our opinions.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping we have a good discussion if nothing else, definitely. But hey, if you've seen the Mandalorian and Grogu, email us your thoughts you can. You can send those to us at Moviefilm Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash movie Film Podcast and message us there. You can also post your comments on YouTube and by the way, if you're listening to the show on YouTube, please hit like and hit subscribe. That stuff does matter and we do read the comments on the show. We also have a Patreon page, Brian.
Speaker 3: Yes, if you head over to patreon dot com slash Moviefilm podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done, every episode moving forward, absolutely ad free. You also find bonus conversations that we drop over there about twice a month, including the one we mentioned earlier where I mean, yeah, for like an hour we were riffing on so many things, Masters of the Universe, the movie Swordfish, popcorn buckets at movie theaters. It was a really fun time and yeah, we think everybody will enjoy those. Our free fee will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show, so without any ads or interruptions, butting into the conversation. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing this show. So if you're interested in aabele, please head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast and subscribe.
Speaker 2: We'd be very grateful. There we go, and if you're looking for me on social media, you can find me at Zaki's Corner. That's the Akis Corner. You can also read my reviews at the San Francisco Chronicle and The Rap. This week, Spider Noir is at the Chronicle. Jack Ryan Ghost war is at the ramp and got some more fun stuff coming up soon. What about you, Brian?
Speaker 3: You can find episodes I've written of Puppy Dog Pals and Young Jedi Adventures streaming on Disney Plus.
Speaker 2: There we go, and with that on behalf of my partner Brian Hall. My name is Zachie A Son. This has been movie film three forty three. We'll catch next time. Thanks everybody, welcome friends.
Speaker 1: Podcast Podcast Zaki again by Ahead the Bat