Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen of America. Tonight's sears, Roebuck.
Speaker 2: And Company celebrates the Fistius Anniversary by presenting the first of a new series of programs dedicated to you, the people of America, Then.
Speaker 3: And Now, a Santa Rama of American destiny, a review of the past fifty years for which the Robuck Company has probably grown up with America. Each week, Sennah Now will recreate for you, in music, in drama, in song, the unforgettable events of the past half tensury. Each week's famous Mogonti discards, composers, singers, the world's greatest talent will be brought into your home by Sirs.
Speaker 1: Robuck and Company. The store We're all America's Jock.
Speaker 3: Here's Roebuck and Company has called to present on Tonight's premiere broadcast.
Speaker 1: Mister Robert Montgomery, Let's put all the mayors a.
Speaker 2: Miss Constant Bennett of twentieth Century Fox, Mister Fredstone beloves either of Broadway, Miss Pollastone, Hollywood, Hugh Start, Mister Walter Hampton, Dean of the American Theater, and Tonight, for the first time on the air, a gramorization from the novel which is thrilling one hundreds of thousands of Americans gone with the winds. Eighteen eighty six, America's got two miracles that year.
Speaker 1: One was the.
Speaker 3: Statue of Liberty with French senters for our hundredth birthday. The other was the electric light, a young inventor by the name of Edison, installed in the uplicted hand of.
Speaker 1: The Goddess of Liberty.
Speaker 2: Let us look back into the life of this man of destiny, to whom America and the world oh so much.
Speaker 1: Mister Walter Hampton plays all of Thomas Elder.
Speaker 3: Edison in his dimmit laboratory, sends the genius Thomas Edison. He's in Derby thirty permanently death as a result of beating the stage.
Speaker 1: One a small boy. It's a distant John Croty.
Speaker 2: And there's the laboratory Edison busily thinkers with a curious looking machine.
Speaker 1: What is it you are working on now, mister Edison?
Speaker 2: Just a minute, John, m hm, you know it's boil up plantified room you heart with dire fran he let curious looking is?
Speaker 1: I think I got it? So it's time?
Speaker 2: What in Heaven's name is it, mister Edison? I can't hear you. I'm not looking at st. John, But if you want to know what it is, I'll tell you. It's something I've been working on in secrets for a long time.
Speaker 1: It's the small prison.
Speaker 2: That's right for locking up the human voice and preserving it for posterity.
Speaker 1: I don't get you that, Ron.
Speaker 2: Tell me this is impractical too. This is a little device that's going to talk. What cut Your thing is not blank because a table that can't talk. There are lots of things you don't believe possible.
Speaker 1: John.
Speaker 2: You know, for instance, that in mischair here there's enough energy to run a whole factory.
Speaker 1: Can you tell me what makes the little animal called man go around? Then? What's the secret of life? Who knows it? Priving? You mean, no one. That's why it's so fascinating.
Speaker 2: You will realize what it will mean to the world if you can capture the human voice and keep it in a little box and had it talk whenever we wanted to do you realize.
Speaker 1: What that will mean.
Speaker 2: Don't think anything is impossible for I think now, just one more tightening this little boat. I read a young.
Speaker 1: Watch me. I turned this little shaft here and I talked.
Speaker 2: Mary had a little lamb. It bleeped while white as slow, and ever where that Mary went, that lamb was sure to go. Now, let's see whether all my effort is wrong. For not, I turned the shaft backward to the starting point, IDUs the cube, and once more turn the handle.
Speaker 1: That cost you never.
Speaker 2: I don't care anything, So it doesn't work. I guess you're right, Friday, it's impractical. I guess it can't harness sound.
Speaker 1: But mister Everson, it does work. I heard it just what you said it to it, the same word, the same thing. It's not you. You are not lying to me because I heard not. Oh no, mister Edison, I was never like to you. You really heard it the same world as are the same word? Or do I sound? John?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Wonderful? That machine is a success.
Speaker 5: The most amazing, the most fonderful things that the type of being created.
Speaker 2: No idea more amazing and wonderful is the thing God created.
Speaker 6: Man immortal parmacetis the death man.
Speaker 3: Who made a machine park, the genius who gave the world life, the wizard who performed incredible miracles, Pharmacetism, whose dreams have profoundly affected the destiny.
Speaker 1: Of the world. The nineties.
Speaker 3: The can nineties when five they go through a belt FORDO. There were no movies in those days, but there were mental hides.
Speaker 2: This late evening in the spring of eighteen ninety six, speaking along a dirt road in Louisiana, the red.
Speaker 3: And gold wagons of the mcentireon heath Mentrol that nation is the little village of Old Town just over the next ride a top the lead wagons that Joe Hayden, a member of the company, did our mets, conductor of the Mentro.
Speaker 2: Band, and Jim McIntire. Well, boys, we're coming in the old und zoon. I wish you boys that song ready so we could introduced to as tomorrow night's opening it ready. You're right mate, don't.
Speaker 1: You worry about that? It's said tatoo. That's worrying. Well, we'll call it the song with all the title if necessary? Pretty much? Hey, look down there in Neveda is a fire. Why did the town on fire? Well? Well, there are half time and old uns to night? All right? What's it? Have you born? Crazy? Title?
Speaker 6: Given us the title what time in.
Speaker 4: The Old Town to night?
Speaker 1: When you the monocot meaning all going.
Speaker 2: Wrong and bringing you must sing and when the wool and all going in the way of time, your.
Speaker 1: Pal here it again. An obscure little town in.
Speaker 3: Louisiana was the first to throb to the Ketyan poobul out of Hot.
Speaker 1: Prime in the Old Town.
Speaker 3: For two years, the minstrels toured the country singing it, popularizing it wherever they went. But it needed a sudden shock of a tragic event to lift the song to its place in the pattern of America's destiny.
Speaker 2: US naval based reporting, the United States battleship Maine was blown up in Havana Harbor last night. The circumstances of the explosion are extremely mysterious, and the government has ordered an immediately.
Speaker 3: The blue ster that volunteers have ninety eight marched off the Cuba to the town of hop Prime in the Old Town.
Speaker 1: They whistled it in a jungle camp. They sang it as a god dumptown on hill. They needed the song of the Spanish American War nineteen four, they America turned for the same news expedition. In celebration of the hundreds.
Speaker 3: Anniversary of the Louisiana Persons, thousands of thousands of people panned the way into the paradels that hot cover, eager to see how far America has come.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen. Before you is the famous written a lot of mobile older of the world's long distance records of over one thousand miles. Yes mean practical one moment, old timer. This card drove all the way from New York just to come to the.
Speaker 1: Exposition that the heart that tired po in spite of the derision which greeted the automobile in nineteen four it is indeed here to stay and it's coming.
Speaker 3: Developed an industry which was to be digetic even among the colossal industrial combinations of those early nineteen hundred.
Speaker 2: This was an age of leisurely living and a cold bottles and the birds. The picture had some harvel skirts.
Speaker 1: When the holding walls is of the castle house.
Speaker 3: Orchestra gave way to the toe tickling rhythms of frank time. The campl quicking life was James Cafay the world Das was talking about on the.
Speaker 1: Edge of Within three shork years, America came of age the World War. To me, missus La Gresham, you know a telegram, I.
Speaker 4: Don't have my lasser.
Speaker 5: It's in the setadary of war he says, regrets to inform you that your son, then Dresham, was the first American soldier who to be killers in the world.
Speaker 1: My supericized with the.
Speaker 3: Jazz age, what's your frenzy, frostword puzzles, Bruno Valentino, Battle bottom trousers, King Cut, the Tamil Swimmers, Bess Radio, And out of the restless moil of twentieth century cirbulents came the story of a beautiful friendship and a heartrending tragedy.
Speaker 7: Lot of fighting.
Speaker 3: Frontway places on their plane and you want to go how to go to the pretty cooking the flow the walls.
Speaker 1: Hello, Oh that's you call us? Yes, this is Will Rodgers.
Speaker 4: Our bread feelings don't just can't tell how Daddy was yet there We're looking to the best.
Speaker 8: Listen out out this job is three tears. I read in the paper that they don't call the whole thing off.
Speaker 4: That's what the just started last night.
Speaker 8: Well, uh, you tell those birds and New York that I'm going to buy some California pink hips and to the bed gets Well, tell him, uh might not dance. It's funny, but I've seen his vow of bread and said that not to take so hard, because oh Chuck, you'll be up from Nason again.
Speaker 1: Don't die, thank you, I will.
Speaker 2: The nation's thrilled as Will Rogers rush to New York to fill in for his injured friends. America loved Will Rogers as I never loved anyone else. America was unprepared for that tragic summer day when Will Rogers flew off to a final landing. This is Fedstone's speaking friends, This is Will rogers spots. But nobody can tink ship for Will Rogers. For if Will was here, he'd be on this program. The panorama of the America of the last fifty years just has to include Will. It was you, Will who gave America an inspiration she never had known before. Your philosophy, your thinking, your little homespun sayings were bred in the stile of this Nathan. You were America, Will, and you were my friends. So I know you will understand about me taking your spot tonight. They didn't know of anyone else to get, and I wanted so much to do it for you to return a beautiful favors. So if you let my daughter Paula and me go on for you, Bill, Indie Road, New York is remarkable.
Speaker 1: Ferry. The names on the lampos is unnecessary.
Speaker 4: You merely have sputy the girls to know what reager are this.
Speaker 9: Aven new Beauty and zero Broadmakers and Naylor makee Joffers the Abbey new Makers. They're strictly all right, the circummer and wiping in the differn.
Speaker 1: I just talk you.
Speaker 10: Mom a bow and not mine.
Speaker 4: You cannot be everyone in.
Speaker 1: Under corn he your mean y man gay mammy in a hard queen.
Speaker 7: Many May twenty first, nineteen twenty.
Speaker 3: Seven, yank you stad him In New York City were forty thousand rabbit pip fans gathered to witness the dim below he deck Cockypce, the winner of which was to meet Jack Empape.
Speaker 7: Target the Hormoney places, Sirs of hard life and lesson.
Speaker 1: He's making monium the pont and his going away with one two one to one too, just like that and look for all the fall and go on.
Speaker 3: Believe you be both up wait the winner, Patties and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: Joe Huls is just sep in the rain. This is very unusual for Joey's going to make.
Speaker 10: When house put in the midst of this night, ath.
Speaker 11: Man coma quiet, please please get three teams from mile less report that a young man kis apartment and they are plans across the ocean alone.
Speaker 10: He fron somewhere over the hope with the seat and the same here it's CALLI Cally, Callie.
Speaker 1: Listen for now.
Speaker 11: I'm gonna ask you, ladies and gentlemen, if you don't find me and I don't think the two fighters leaders the call re quiet for one minute.
Speaker 4: He got to get the boy a house and square. I thought of you who f that out?
Speaker 10: Just requiet anyway, m hmmm.
Speaker 3: Twenty hours later, the Lone Eagles dropped under the French guy to a memorable landing in Paris and placed his name besides those of Columbus, Mademon, Harry and Paris.
Speaker 1: And Today?
Speaker 2: What interests America? What people fascinate her? What books drove her? What is America thinking? A more sober, more reflective America. Read such historical novels as Gone.
Speaker 1: With the Winds by Margaret Mitchell, a scene.
Speaker 2: From which is dramatized for the first time on the air with Miss Thompson's Bennett at Scarlett o'hira and mister Robert Montgomery as West butler Gone with the Wind the story of Scarla O'Hara.
Speaker 3: The daughter of a stousland Traditions have been gathered by the Civil War. Scarlett o'helllla coquett viction, ready to recruit every feminine while to achieve her personal pleasures and stability. Who married a man she did not love, so fascinated by a rest butler's charming scoundrel and blockade runner. Then her husband is killed on the evening of his burials, Scarlett sits alone in her room along with her scout, reactionalizing as her brain insists, unformenting.
Speaker 12: What's a put But did you repeater a man in the city? Nothing, Lord controls the n tree. Not you enough here, but you do an I caught my really shot, got appointee for that. That Appanice is Mary and frank And you really up to h I very unhappiness, thought like a German. But I really didn't make an entirely unhappy. I did my child up? Oh, trying to jo your life nice?
Speaker 4: I not putting. I could always find someone who'd let me put my head on the clothing. I wouldn't see frank kin that look. I wouldn't see him anymore, And I.
Speaker 1: Want to talk with Doll.
Speaker 4: Lying down.
Speaker 1: You'll see me. Tell her I'm going away tomorrow. Tell it's terribly important.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll be done today. Let's put the mons forbidding us until with the shop. I'm coming down there.
Speaker 2: Forgive me the disturbing your scarllet. I'm sorry. I couldn't be a Frank funeral. I understand your pardner that pity.
Speaker 4: Oh definitely, I'll close the doors.
Speaker 1: What are you telling me? I want to find out what's the matter with you is? Yeah, you know you'll tell us in it.
Speaker 12: Last?
Speaker 1: Good on, honey?
Speaker 9: What is it?
Speaker 1: Isn't it more than just old Frank dying?
Speaker 4: I'm a trade out dying, go to hell.
Speaker 1: Maybe there isn't any help, but I know there is, But it's right here on it.
Speaker 4: Well, I can. He was married, Frank, he was yellow, he was too angry for he loved her nothing. I lied to him and I told him she was gonna marry from here, and I talked about some ship.
Speaker 1: And that's how you got Frank. I always wondered.
Speaker 4: I made him do all sorts of sinity to the very jeep. I was so mean to him, but I I really mean my mother was siddized your mother.
Speaker 1: I've often wondered what your mother was like.
Speaker 4: The first time. I'm glad she said because she can't see me. He didn't Eve raise me to be mean brother I'd have I'd guess, no husband do this. I've told him to be like he everywhere, and I'm not like her. It's not a beet. Mother died right off to the antwerp. I had to turn amerge. I get all cool when I think it's I can see all everything in the spurn and still there's nothing to eat. You know that's it? And I'm being I'm hungry again. Go on, I'm hungry in my mind experience I ever did out of this, I'll never never be hungry again. And then and then the being goes off in extreme infinuence. Learned to harden het about the birth, and something is taking me. I can't breathe, but you're thinking of I can just get the hob to stay. But I don't know why I'm trying to get.
Speaker 2: Only let's get the bottom of it. You see, if you had it to do over again, you do it differently. But would you think now would you?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Why don't you tell me the truth. Hasn't your conscience bothered you before this?
Speaker 4: I didn't talk much about conscience before. I guess I'm just making God but understand.
Speaker 1: But you don't credit God with understanding why you married a friend.
Speaker 4: How can you talk about God and when you don't even believe there is?
Speaker 2: You believe in a god of wrath, and that's what's important at the moment. I'm surprised that just got us a sprout in the conscience this late in life. Opportunities like you couldn't have me. Person takes it bage of opportunities at all. He's always been held in bad taste by those who had the same opportunities it didn't take them. Now, I'll tell you why I came here this eason. I'm going away to England and I've got news.
Speaker 1: My news is this.
Speaker 2: I still want you more than any woman I've ever seen. And now the prank is going. I thought you'd be interested to know it.
Speaker 4: Yes, but give them Mont your big man in the world, coming ahead of time like this is hardly.
Speaker 1: Means I'm afraid you missed my point.
Speaker 4: I don't miss anything. That don't mean get out here and.
Speaker 1: I'm asking you to marry me. Would you be convinced if I knelt down.
Speaker 2: I've always intended having your collar since the first day I saw your twelve hope when you're three of ours and four are just to prove to me that you want the lady.
Speaker 4: You're still calm, just as the river.
Speaker 1: I damn my soul when you're suspicious.
Speaker 2: I'm going away for a long time, and if I wait till I return, I'm afraid you have married someone else with money. So I thought, why not me and my money? Really, scholar, I can't go on all my life waiting to catch you between husbands.
Speaker 4: I never married.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes you will. You were born to be married. Drawback, you love never loved Frank? Did you ever think of marrying just for the.
Speaker 1: Fun of him? Don't talk like a fool. There's no fun before. I don't know. Why not try marrying a fine young man who has a bad reputation and away with women. Yes, you.
Speaker 4: Is gone.
Speaker 1: Fan, gotta say you're marrying her.
Speaker 2: I'll say, around here and play guitar, and you win there every night and see at the top of my voyage.
Speaker 1: So you'll marry me to save your reputation.
Speaker 4: But I don't want to marry anything.
Speaker 1: You're a fool.
Speaker 2: You're in my arms now, you're caing to me is the only solid thing in the dizzy swam world. You've never felt like this before in your whole life. You've had this coming to you for years. Some of the fool none of the fools you've known, have kissed you like this?
Speaker 1: Have they? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Women know, But what do they know about women? What do they know about you? I know you two years, scharllege, two years?
Speaker 1: You mean it? You don't want to take it back? Just why did you say? You? Look at me? Is it my money?
Speaker 4: Chus?
Speaker 1: Look up and don't try to sweet talk me.
Speaker 4: I'm love with me? Are you? Why sa you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Oh, my dear, I'm not in love with you, no more than you are with me. And if I were, you'd be the last person I'd ever tell. God helps a man who ever really loves it.
Speaker 1: You break his heart? My daughter? All right? Let me know if you change your mind?
Speaker 4: Well answer to peak a back.
Speaker 2: Do you think you've had enough kissing for one evening to think of a modest, well brought up young woman.
Speaker 1: Well? I told you it would be fun, didn't.
Speaker 4: Just impossible? And I don't care if he never come back.
Speaker 1: But I will come back. I will, and you will wait until I do. Fifty years ago a man bought a watch. It was a good watch.
Speaker 2: That doesn't he ever expected to warn out of a low price, and he ever expected to pay. The man who bought the watch was Lewis Linderman of North Redwood, Minnesota, and the man who bought it from was Richard W. Sears, founder of Sears Roboton Company. Wherever you are, Lewis Linderman, do you please stand up on Seers robut and Companies. Golden Jubilee. Fifty thousand Seers employees join in nationwide tributes to you, the first Spear's customer, you and Sears robutn Company. No, mister Linderman, how far this country has really come?
Speaker 1: Mister Linderman? What kind is this? Is it night fall.
Speaker 7: Or just.
Speaker 1: The door?
Speaker 2: The forward mark of America marking into a new day, grander, more beautiful than we have ever known before. Marching marching to the music of the sphere and the fifth of us Cook, What thank you, mister.
Speaker 1: Hanley, Gone with the wind? The fourth coming Sells Make International Production was.
Speaker 2: Presented on the Night's broadcast by special permission of the McMillan Company and sells Make Internation Now. Picture is the copyright Robert Montgomery appeared in my permission of Metal Role than Mayor and Constant Manett.
Speaker 1: With permission of twenty ofth Mecripox.
Speaker 2: The songs line in Manhattan is from the Big Broadcast The Parallel Picture Parcity BG one of.
Speaker 1: The ductical Good News Next ers.
Speaker 3: At the same time, she is invited you to go back through the years again and to meet their guest stars, Admiral Richard E. Burd, Helen Sweetman of the Metropolitan Opera and the Abby Children Patient Richard and John, authors of the best selling around the World in eleven years