Speaker 1: Here's your Tanne nine first one weather forecast, so ninety two of the Heaton X lowe hundreds and at chance of storms between noon and sunset pop ups.
Speaker 2: Uh, Buggy.
Speaker 1: Overnight low is seventy three tomorrow, just like today, high on ninety two of the Heaton XS lowe hundreds pop up afternoon storms overnight Yes again, muggy. Heat advisory int at eight pm seventy four of the overnight low eighty six with an approaching cold front Saturday. It's a seventy nine right now. In time for traffic from the.
Speaker 2: UCL Traumphic Center. You see health.
Speaker 3: You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at UCHealth dot com. Southbound seventy one continues slow from above two seventy five to an accident near Kenwood Road.
Speaker 2: They're on the right shoulder.
Speaker 3: North Found seventy one slows between Red Bank and ken Wood. Southbound seventy five break flights through Lachlan chuck Ingramont fifty five Kroclea Talk.
Speaker 1: Station eight fifty five K City Talks Station. It's Thursday. It's time for iHeartMedia aviation. Next for Jay Ratt. Before we hear from Jay, though very quick thanks and props on the heels of Joe Montgomery from Patriots Landing and the announcement of the Patriots Landing whiskey. Props go to Borbinski. Burbinski is the manufacturer. It's a veteran owned bourbon distillery. Matt Carter Us Army, I guess uh founded it. And so it's veteran owned or veteran owned company for and distillery and veteran owned special whiskey made just for Patriots Landing, bottled by veterans and then for sale in very limited quantities. So another reason to get it out. And thanks to Bourbinski for all they do, and welcome back Jay rat If. I appreciate you give me a moment or two to put that in.
Speaker 4: There, to step aside for our veterans. Brother, you know I'll do that anytime of the day or a night.
Speaker 2: Absolutely I did not.
Speaker 4: I'm not a burb I'm not a bourbon drinker. But I was like, brother, go on, go on, go on, because I wish we could see more of that. And I often tell people my kids, grandkids, the only thing better today than it was when I was. Their age is our appreciation for veterans, and I couldn't be happier.
Speaker 1: I'm glad I didn't expect any resistance from you, of all people, Jay Ratlift. All right, So this first topic has me totally intrigued. And since I didn't look into it in advance, you're gonna be letting me and my listeners know for the first time the TSA has banned a specific type of cell phone. What's the story behind this one?
Speaker 4: Well, you and I've talked about repeatedly these lithium batteries and the phone repeating catching fire on an airplane, and how these lithium battery electronic devices are never ever to be placed in a piece of check luggage because if they catch on fire, we can't get to them, and that creates a big time problem. And if one of these phones gets stuck in a seat and they can't get to it. You know, I've talked about how they have an emergency landing quickly because if it catches on fire, there's no way to put that fire out if it's stuck into a seat. So it's a very serious matter. And just recently the US Department of Transportation in the FAA issued an emergency order that's banning a cell phone from flying. It's not allowed in check luggage obviously, ever, nor is it allowed to be carried on. If you show up at the TSA checkpoint with this kind of phone, they're going to take it from you, or you're gonna have to leave it behind or give it to somebody else. But it's the Samsung Galaxy Note seven, and the Samsung Galaxy Note seven came out twenty sixteen, so it's not like a super modern type of phone, but a lot of people still use it, and when they show up at the airport, they are un they are shocked that they're being told.
Speaker 2: You can go, that phone cannot.
Speaker 4: And it was the first time that the FAA has taken a position that says, you know what safety is safety, and if these things pose this kind of problem where they catch on fire more than other phone, we are not going to let them on board an airplane. I was shocked in a very good way that the FAA took this position, because it opens up the door for if there's other phones that are overheating to the point where it's happening frequently where flight attendants now also become firefighters. Something has to be done before we have a horrific access. So hats off to the FAA who actually did that. Now, airlines could have done this on their own, but they didn't. And the TSA, you know, is involved in all this as well. And Brat, I'm just glad to see it, because when you're talking about something that has the potential of catching on fire and it's okay, go ahead and bring it along with you, hopefully it won't happen. And the scariest part to me is when we have these devices and we put them in our luggage and at the gate they take our bag to check to our destination, you know, because the bins are full. Some people forget they've got those devices in those bags and they go straight from the gate to the plane. And so yeah, see, seeing the TSA do this and the FAA, I am very very pleased.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that sounds like a step in the right direction from my standpoint. You know, of course I'm sure I ended up, though I feel for the people who have them. It's like I've been flying with this phone for the last several years. You're gonna tell me now, I'm not. Yeah, that's the way it happens.
Speaker 4: We're trying to get the word out. So anybody that's lying or if you've been making fun of somebody over their twenty sixteen phone and it's a Samsung Galaxy Note seven, please please please let them know what they're in store for when they get to the airport, because the TSA is trying to get the word out. I'm really glad they are. And again this is probably just the first of several that we could see band as we move forward.
Speaker 1: More phones and the aviation topics coming up next with Jay Ratliff stick around. Be right back after these brief words.
Speaker 2: Fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: Here's what's trending care CD talk station. I heard Medy Aviation next where Jay Ratliffe on the program. Always enjoy our conversation Jay and Dominic theme this morning apparently phone. So the TSA banning a specific type of phone, but it doesn't matter what brand phone it might get stolen at the airport.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, well, in fact, there's an increasing number of phones that are are being reported as stolen per the TSA, and they're saying that it's it's easily preventable and what happens. Any of us who fly know that A lot of times if you put your all your belongings in the bind, it goes through this the X ray machine you're about to walk through, but the person in front of you gets, you know, buzzed or what they got to go through a few and you're just waiting. So your stuff's over on the other side waiting for you, and you're still waiting to get through the process so you can get to your belongings. And people that just put their phone out in the bin with all their other stuff where it's easily visible, those are the ones that are being snatched because people see them, they grab them. I mean, nobody's there checking to make sure your stuff is your stuff, and with all the moving parts, it's pretty eas for somebody if they are a thief to look at that and say, hey, I'll grab that phone. There's a lot of personal information on it. If I can act into it, get me into some financial stuff, So let me do it. So the Tiessa saying, just make it harder, put it in your bag before you put it in the bin, or put it in something just to hide it.
Speaker 1: Jay, Can I ask you a question, though, I don't know what your personal protocol is. But as I'm thinking you're telling this story, that's something that's kind of always loomed in the back of my head. I am not taking my eye off my box. It's got my wallet in it, it's got my phone in and it's got the keys I'm gonna need to get home in it. So I watched the thing through the whole process until it gets out of the ramp and I'm able to get my hands on it. So if someone tried to steal something out of my box, I would know right away and get over into his face.
Speaker 4: Or alert the authority so that somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, But you know, there's sometimes there's.
Speaker 4: A lot of stuff going on, and you know, people that aren't used to flying scariflying kind of intimidated by flying, they go through this just oblivious because they're being told what to do, when to do, where to stand, where to go, where to walk, all that, and it's just a blur. So because of that, the confusion that that is that ensues at a security checkpoint and many times at a ticket counter, open up the possibility for people to do things that you know from a from a theft standpoint. And you know, when you've got four or five bins that are lined up over on the other side waiting for people to get to them, it's easy to lose track of which ben is yours, nice from it from a distance. So but it's surprising that we have a number of these, and you know, a lot of times the phone is the last thing that goes into that ben because it's the last thing that we're kind of clutching to, and a lot of times it's just laid in there, exposed for everybody to see. Itsa is asking us just do something to hide it get away so that we don't you know, nobody can be tempted to feel something that you know, sadly most people can't live without.
Speaker 2: There's some people.
Speaker 1: You think someone is enough money and ability to buy an airline ticket and fly to some destination, they wouldn't be inclined to steal something. It's like a crime of opportunity. It's laying there. I'll just grab it, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: Some people fly to steal okay, okay, we'll get the cheapest fairs they can to wherever, and they look for people that aren't paying attention to their stuff at a bar that's drinking, they got to the bathroom, leave stuff behind. I mean, it's just and that's one of the reasons that if you're flying and you see something that just doesn't quite look right, please bring it up to the attention of someone. And most people are reluctant to do so, and I always say, please do because law enforcement is always indicated to me. Tell us what you see and we'll tell you if it's something that's of note or not. But don't ever hesitate because you know, yes, it could be fat, or it could be something of a security issues, a safety standpoint from terrorism. And you see unattended bags, or somebody doing something that doesn't look right, or somebody stealing from another person, by all means, please bring it to the attention of you know, the people that are in charge at the airport.
Speaker 1: All right, we're either gonna go really long in this segment, we're gonna go a little short. I'm gonna choose the latter option. We'll stop right now and bring you back to talk about the NTSB conclusion about the door plug problem on Alaska Airlines, plus the European Union doing what I think you think is the right thing un single pilot flights eight forty four. Right now, I'll be right back with.
Speaker 2: Jay Ratliffe fifty five KRC.
Speaker 1: Experience the Janna nine first four cash Today and tomorrow virtual mirrors of each other with pop up afternoon storms. Possible heat index in the low one hundred, serve around one hundred, and both days a high of ninety two, sandwich in between a low of seventy three and muggy conditions overnight. Come Friday, the heat advisory ends at eight pm.
Speaker 2: It'll be a muggy day.
Speaker 1: It'll be a overnight low of seventy four and a slight increased chances storms for Saturday, but a colt front is coming our way and it will have a high of eighty six on Saturday. Degrees Right now, time for final traffic chuck in front.
Speaker 2: Of the U see how traffic center. You see health.
Speaker 3: You find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. If that's foundless care for better outcomes, expect more.
Speaker 2: You'd see health dot com.
Speaker 3: Cruise are working in an accident in southbound seventy one below Fieldsirtle. Traffic is slothing through blue Ash and ken Wood thanks to an earlier wreck after Kenwood.
Speaker 2: Road that was on the right shoulder.
Speaker 3: They just cleared it northbound seventy five slows buttermilk. Kyle's chuck ingram on fifty five krs the talk station.
Speaker 1: It is eight forty seven if you got KRC the talk station. One more with Jay Rale. I've always enjoy closing out the Thursdays or Friday eves on a positive note with Jay, and let's talk about the NTSB made some conclusions about the Alaska Airline door plug flight emergency. That's when the one with the door that blew off and I'm sure soiled a lot of shorts for people on the floor.
Speaker 4: What did they conclude, Well, you know we always talk about these National Transportation Safety Board reports will go eight or twelve months, and that's what it took place here because it was on January fifth of last year when that last Airline flight twelve eighty two had that door plug ripped from the cabin and that exposed the passengers and the crew to that rapid air depression of the cabin. And as you remember, that force was so intense it caused that secured lock cockpit door to fly open, so still a miracle that no passengers were killed. But the final NTSB report came out this week and they blasted Boeing for their lack of proper oversight and even blasted the FAA, which was a little bit uncommon for the National Transportation Safety Board, saying, look, the fa didn't do their job at making sure that Boeing was doing everything that they were supposed to be doing. Currently. Remember Boeing five years ago lied to everybody on the planet about a lot of things with the Boeing mat Back then, Boeing promised to do better, and the FA said, we'll do better, We'll keep a closer eye on Boeing, which obviously did not happen. And the NTSB report said that the flight crew were heroes, every single one of them that day, but added they never should have been because this never should have happened, and just blasted them. And of course, we hope Boeing has made the changes that they need to to make sure that things are I don't know, bolted in and all the you know, everything is secured from a hardware standpoint, but we just got to wait and see it. I'll know, in a few years, we all will Boeing has been good to their promises because five years ago I was an idiot and believed exactly what they said with all their paragraphs of promise on how they had learned their lesson and they were going to be better, and obviously they were worse now than they were back then. So hopefully things are going to try out for Boeing. We just don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, the only way we find out if they aren't is if we have another incident like this, right, Jay, I know it.
Speaker 4: And you know a lot of times when we have an incident, we get lucky and it doesn't involve a fatality or serious injury. And we got you talk about lucky twelve eighty two. This is a full flight and the seat that is next to this door, nobody's sitting in. And I mean most of the time, if you're in the middle seat, you'd be like, hey, I'm gonna go here and sit and kind of move around the things, and nobody did. And remember the blast was so much it ripped a shirt off of a teenager that was close. I mean just ripped it off. And you know, thank god, people are their seat belts on. You couldn't talk to the person next to you because it was so loud because of the air that was rushing out of that aircraft.
Speaker 1: And it's like taking a cork off a champagne bottle because of the pressurization of the cabin and then.
Speaker 4: Imagine something as big as the cabin doing that. That's just from a small bottle. And when you've got that happening with a uh, you know, a cabin area, that's something. Now remember Saturday Night Live, and I'm not a fan of SNL at all, they did a skit on this Brian that was absolutely spot on hilarious And if you ever look at YouTube on that the Saturday Night Live video that since nobody got hurt, I'm okay with it. If somebody got hurt, I'd have been very offended with it. But it was hilarious. They went after a last airlines. I'm surprised they were allowed to do it, but it was. It was something to watch and everything was factually kind of accurate. But you know, we learned from that. And of course, but remember last year, this happened January fifth, and it was a week before a week before that, Boeing came out with an advisory to all the Airlines saying on some of our Boweing Max aircraft, on the rudder control systems, We've had some mechanics around the world report that there were some missing bolts and nuts from the rudder control system, Brian. That's what allows the pilots to fly the airplane. So that was something that said, hey, we've got missing hardware on a very critical component on our Boeing Maac's airplane. Keep an eye out. Okay, I guess, I guess we're gonna, you know, as we're doing the maintenance, keep an eye out. So we had something that was totally unrelated a week later that blew off of an airplane. Why because things weren't secured. It just makes no sense. But if you believe some of the whistleblowers that Boeing was so in a hurry to push these airplanes through production, do you had people doing the job of two and three people. They were being rushed, constantly, being worked over time, and it was just a horrific work environment. You can see how some of this stuff might actually happen. So I hope Boeings learned their lesson, Brian, because just a scary, scary situation. It doesn't prevent me from flying Boeing. So please don't don't take that as me saying don't jump on a Boeing aircraft. But look, I'm counting on the FAA to do their job here and I hope this time they do.
Speaker 1: Mark Jay's words, European Union says, sing to pip pilot flights and not such a good idea.
Speaker 4: It was twenty twenty one you and I talked about how the European Union talked about, hey, maybe we should have a commission that looks into having a single pilot on the flight deck. And because look, airlines spend thirty five to forty percent of their bottom line total operating expense on you know, payroll, so you know, yeah, if we have one pilot, we can cut things out. And the technology is there, and of course I'm totally against that because I want two highly qualified individuals there so if one passes out or dies, which has happened, that we don't have to worry about. You know, we've got a redundant backup system. Well, finally the European unions come out and said, you know.
Speaker 2: What, maybe now is not the time.
Speaker 4: Thank god for that. They're saying that it's going to require redesign of the aircraft. Other things you have to be looked at and address, and at least for now, it's no longer going to be something that they're going to be pushing. So it's gone to the back burner. Snoopy dance time for me, because that was something I never wanted to say, because the next step after a single pilot aircraft is a no pilot aircraft that is totally automated, and I certainly don't want to go there either.
Speaker 1: Agree completely. I don't even want to get in this one of the self driving cars. Jay, I'm sorry, I just don't trust that the technology is there yet.
Speaker 2: Finally I can.
Speaker 4: Tell how passionate I am about those topics, brother, because I'm telling you I was screaming from the top of the of the mountains. No, please, Lord Lord. No.
Speaker 1: We share the same concerns, all right. Typically as we do, we'll end on hub delays. What's it look like out there for air travel to day.
Speaker 4: Jay, Minneapolis? I hope you're not going there because we've got another day of rain, wind, limited visibility is going to be a slow down there if you're flying connecting on Delta through Minneapolis. New York is going to give us some issues, and probably Boston by the end of the day, but I think those are going to be a little bit less than what we're seeing Minneapolis. Other than that, across the country should be a very very good day to fly, other than the late day pop up thunderstorms. And if you are flying, please remember to keep your seat belt fastened about your Turbulence is still out there, especially this time of year. Had an American Airlines flight last week. Five people taken to the hospital, so they hit turbulence. The people and most of them were the flight attendants. They were up serving at the time, so can't do anything about them, but we can do something about us when we're seated, So please keep those seat belts.
Speaker 1: Found sound advice from Jay ry Loff. Always a pleasure having you on the program every Thursday.
Speaker 2: Jay.
Speaker 1: I look forward to next Thursday in another edition, and I hope you have a fantastic weekend you too, my friend. Thank you, Thanks brother eight fifty five if you five KRCD talk station. Happy anniversary again to my wife thirty three years today. Looking forward to a three day weekend. Draw your own conclusions and Gary Jeff's going to cover for me tomorrow while I sleep in, So that'll be tomorrow in the Morning Show. Gary, Jeff Walker, if you're out there, I appreciate covering for me. Joe Strecker, I appreciate you producing the morning show. Great conversation with George Bruneman and Keith Tenenfeld about health, stress and sleep with the two topics from Restore Wellness dot Org. George and Keith. Joe Montgomery. Awesome things going on to Patriots Landing. You better get that bourbon while at last, because I just bought a bottle that means at minimum are at best. There's only eighty seven left, and I already know some other listeners had bought the bottle. So get on over to Patriots Landing dot Org and support them in any way you can. Just fantastic, folks. Joe's an awesome guy. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Everyone.
Speaker 2: Don't go away.
Speaker 1: Glenn Bak's coming right up.
Speaker 2: US happens fast, stay up to date. At the top of the hour. You're moving very quickly. Fifty five KRC the talk station. This report is sponsored Bio paid