Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is sponsored by La Care Health Plan, providing affordable healthcare insurance to millions of Angelinos for over twenty five years. And now your voice for Dodger Talking like back, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse live at Dodgers Stadium. After the Dodgers come from behind to get to the Mariner's bullpen tonight, it was Jason Hayward in the eighth inning off of Andres Munios with a go ahead pinch hit three run home run to give the Dodgers a six to three win. Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse with you until midnight tonight. We have phone lines open at eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. We have a lot to get to between now and midnight. We will get you a Chris Taylor update and get his thoughts on the Dodgers division race. Also will get you a Yoshi Yamamoto update, and we will hear from Justin Turner who joined us earlier today on our Instagram live and also on the pregame show, so you'll hear part of that conversation and Justin Turner's thoughts about the emotional pregame ceremony last night as he returned to Dodgers Stadium for the first time since leaving the Dodgers a couple of years ago. And we do have Brent Honeywell news. I can't hold it any longer. I got good Brent Honeywell news for you. Brent Honeywell went unclaimed. So the Dodgers did not want to lose Honeywell. But because of the roster crunch and needing a fresh charm last weekend, they had to dfa Brent Honeywell. And there were some reports out there the Boston Red Sox, who were in need pit of need of pitching, were going to claim Honeywell, but they did not. So Honeywell has been sent to Oklahoma City and can be called back in ten days from now. So Brent Honeywell stays in the organization. And that's big because he was really good for the Dodgers, pitching out of the bullpen in seven different several different roles. So good news. The Dodgers keep Brent Honeywell. All right, let's get to tonight's game. Walker Buehler, we had talked a lot about how long of a leash do the Dodgers have for Walker Bueller. I wouldn't say tonight was convincing. He only went four innings tonight and he only struck out one Mariner. The Mariners have struck out more times than any other offense in Major League Baseball, as evident by last night's ten strikeout performance by Gavin Stone. One strikeout against this team is not great if you're Walker Bueller. But he was able to go at least four innings. Is that positive? I'm not sure. And we saw still trouble with him commanding his f ball.
Speaker 3: That was a big issue tonight.
Speaker 2: His curveball, I thought was really good, and his curveball got him back into counts. I was keeping track of how many pitches he was throwing behind in the count from the second inning on. Between the second and fourth inning tonight, Walker Buehler threw twelve pitches behind in the count. That's not a way to live now. Dave Roberts said before the game when he was asked what do the Dodgers do if Bueller does not have a good performance, and he talked about what are the alternatives? You have a guy like Bobby Miller who is still searching so far, this season, Justin Robleski has not really given the Dodgers consistent length. His best start was in Houston. I know he got his first major League win in Saint Louis. He was solid then as well. There's an argument to be made that Justin Robleski and Landon Nack have both been more effective than Walker Bueller trying to find himself.
Speaker 3: And look, it's not as easy as you think.
Speaker 2: Talking to a couple of different pitchers that have come back from two Tommy John surgeries, sometimes you don't feel like yourself until two years after that.
Speaker 3: It's not an easy.
Speaker 2: Surgery to come back from once. It's even harder to come back twice. And right now, Walker Bueller, he's healthy, but he's still trying to figure out who.
Speaker 3: He is in this stage of his career.
Speaker 2: Now, if he was on the Marlins or you know, a last place team, pick any one, he would have the luxury to try to figure this out in the season. But the issue is the Dodgers are in a division race. They are only three games ahead of the Padres and only four games ahead of the Diamondbacks, so they don't have the luxury to allow Walker Buehller to find his footing. They have to win games and they can't compromise their bullpen. So that's the issue for Walker Buehler being on this team. He needs to figure it out now, and the Dodgers need him to figure it out now. Easier said than done. Let's head downstairs right now to hear from Walker Buehler.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, you know, in general, getting No. Two is kind of a weird victory for me right now. But you know, I felt like I was kind of two or two oh the whole night, and we made a couple of bad pitches.
Speaker 3: Planco got me twice, and it's a tough one. He doesn't come off the.
Speaker 4: Heater and try to throw kind of the front hip two seamer and he kind of smother hooked it and hit it hard and uh for two in the first. But I'm so tired of saying that. I feel closer. But I kind of explained to people I felt like a bad version of myself in twenty one, and I think that's as that's as close as I felt the kind of me of old as I have, you know, as I felt this year. And yeah, I don't want to I didn't throw the ball well, and our team really helped me out and got us back in the game. And I don't want to sound too optimistic about it just because of kind of the results, but you know, I came out of that one feeling pretty good about where I'm at and what we've done this week in terms of the delivery.
Speaker 3: And now now it's you.
Speaker 4: Know, I've been saying it's I got to perform, and I got to perform, but I feel like I can actually perform now, and and you know, I'm gonna have five six days to throw and feel the same thing that I've been feeling the past three or four days, and.
Speaker 3: You know, I feel better about it.
Speaker 4: And and I think also like this is the kind of power of being on a team like this, right, I can throw the ball not great, you know, we get we get their guy out of there quickly and and kind of chip away at it and then explode and we got guys off the bench that are veteran players and really prepared.
Speaker 3: And j it's a big homer and wins us the game.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it sucks.
Speaker 4: You know, it's hard to say, like keep sticking with me, but I feel a lot better about it. And obviously it's nice not to lose every game that I start.
Speaker 6: Giving you a contractual situation, right.
Speaker 3: We don't care about my contract, but.
Speaker 7: I mean, I guess just the fact that this.
Speaker 4: There's just not a whole lot to talk about it, man, Like I have a six ra like I'm trying to figure out how to get people out in the major leagues, like free agencies. For talking about when you have a two five and you're rolling through the league, you know, I really don't care. And to be honest with you, I've played here in my whole career. I love playing here. We've won the World Series here. That's all I give.
Speaker 3: Is all right.
Speaker 2: There's Walker Buehler on Sports in at LA responding to you know, a pointed question that has got to be somewhere and in the back of his mind that.
Speaker 3: He is on the brink of free agency.
Speaker 2: He's not just pitching for the Dodgers, but he's pitching for the rest of the league to be able to.
Speaker 3: Find a landing spot.
Speaker 2: And obviously the business of baseball is on the horizon. But honestly, at this point in time, I feel like Walker Bueller is just trying to find his confidence again. And if the Dodgers aren't going to have him start again. I don't think tonight was a start where you say we have to pull the plug on Walker Bueller. It wasn't just that type of game. But the facts are the Mariners are not a good offensive team, and I guess getting to the fourth inning and not giving up more than three runs was a victory. But only striking out one Mariner is alarming to me. And when he comes back to make his next start, it's going to be a huge test compared to what he saw tonight because he's either going to face the Rays on four days rest.
Speaker 3: He just said five or six days rest.
Speaker 2: So that makes me believe he's pitching the first game of the Baltimore Orioles series on Tuesday, a week from tonight. So the Orioles are one of the best offensive teams in baseball. He is going to have to be better than he was tonight and even better than what we've seen this year to get outs. Eight six, six, nine, eight, seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: I will say.
Speaker 2: The most entertaining part of Bueller's start tonight was him screaming at C. B. Buckner for missing one of many balls and strikes tonight. That was in the fourth inning during the Julio Rodriguez at bat, it was strike three and Buckner, who may want to go see key Y Hernandez is optometrist, doctor Lou maybe to get you know, if it works for players, it could work for umpires. Let's go out to the phones. Bruce, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight? Hi, Bruce, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: Hey mes say always something interesting to do and say that left side of.
Speaker 8: The MC tonight.
Speaker 6: I know that hairword is going to get the in the bullpen rightfully, so we'll get the headlines. But seeing Tommy Edmond make that infield play as a backup shortstop to you know, Rojas, who's mister glove. And then to see Months he not only hit another homer and both those guys were you know, got hits tonight and last night, but to see Months he work that walk. Our lineup is just much deeper. Lux is back. There's just a different feel to it. We got down three to nothing and we just chipped away at it at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is the most formidable lineup in baseball, Bruce, one through nine, anyway you slice it, this is a very different lineup than what we saw even two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: And I'm with you.
Speaker 2: Tommy Edmund was everything is advertised that Andrew Friedman was telling us about Tommy Edmund, elite defender at shortstop, elite defender in see in her field, and we have seen it the first two games and he puts back to ball, and tonight he doubled in the seventh inning and scored the tying run thanks to Mookie Betts double with two outs.
Speaker 3: So I'm with you.
Speaker 2: All points accounted for eight six, six, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Michael, who was also at Dodger Stadium tonight. Did you get your ta Oscar Hernandez bobblehead tonight?
Speaker 3: Michael?
Speaker 5: Yeah, sir, I did you kind of saw my thunder with the pitching thing, but just kind of going into.
Speaker 7: The playoffs obviously, Bobby Miller, maybe you think he'll be able to runt for him? Looks like Feeler obviously struggling.
Speaker 9: Hopefully I'll find it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I can't tell you that right now. I'm a big believer in Bobby Miller. I'm not jumping off the bandwagon like everybody else. Is Look, he's he's had some adversity this year. Everybody does not have a linear path to a great career. So he's taking his lumps. Now let's see him bounce back. You know, I feel like he has that fighter mentality, so he's working to get better. And he actually told me that today you're going to see a better version of me next time I start.
Speaker 3: He is determined to be better.
Speaker 2: So I can't tell you whether or not that's going to happen, but I will say that I would bet on Bobby Miller and I would bet on Walker Buehller to try to compete, to try to get better. But honestly, the jury is still out on Walker Buehler. I know he said he's getting closer. He's getting closer, But like I said, he can have that luxury with the Pirates or the Marlins, he can't have that luxury in a division race. Now, if the Dodgers even had a ten game lead right now, he would have that luxury, but unfortunately he doesn't. All Right, thank you for the phone call, Michael, appreciate it. Look it's hard. I'm not saying that I'm pulling the plug on Walker Bueller, but it goes back to everything I said. I completely believe him that he's getting closer, but we need to see it. The Dodgers need to see it going down the stretch here because they need to win games. Even though with the win tonight, they maintain a three game lead over the victorious Padres at three games, and the Diamondbacks won again as well, so all three teams win again and the Dodgers only have a three and four game lead in the division, but winning their seventy fifth game of the year. They also have the best record in baseball, one game ahead of the Guardians, the Phillies, Brewers, and Orioles. So that just shows you how tight baseball is these days. Let's go out to San Pedro. Eddie, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Eddie?
Speaker 8: Hey, Dave, thanks for thanking my call. I've got three quick points. I just wanted to do a comments. I wanted to make sure one is I haven't seen Dave Roberts run that asked they won the World Series onto the field, trying to get out there to protect Dealer, and I know he wanted to get Dealer a victory tonight and channeling one pinch hitter, Dodger pinch hitter to another Jay Hay wearing Gibbie's number hit probably one of the biggest home runs that I remember in recent time, and it was real exciting. And three, are you going to go out and investigate that ghost baseball that came out of right center field that LuxI hit out?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was wondering about that, like where did that ball come from? Did it just drop through? Like, yeah, I was. I was even asking our producer engineer. It's kind of strange how the baseball was underneath the padding right there, So we'll try to figure that out, Eddie.
Speaker 3: But it was a home run.
Speaker 2: It was a strange night umpiring, umpiring wise and also review wise as well. Well, it just didn't sit right tonight. But the Dodgers were beneficiaries of a couple of them, especially in the ninth inning where Luis Rivas was very safe. Leo Revas was very safe and the Dodgers were able to get the call on the field as an out and New York did not overturn it.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the phone call, Eddie, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number we're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: We have three.
Speaker 2: Lines open at eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two, five seventy. We will get you a Yamamoto update. We will hear from Chris Taylor. We also will share part of our conversation with Justin Turner as well. Dodgers come from behind and beat the Mariner six to three on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy online at amfive seventy LA Sports dot com. Can available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Bassen.
Speaker 3: Two ball, one strike, pitch to Hayward. He plays and hits a deep track right. This ball has got It's a home run, a three.
Speaker 2: Run pitch head home run for Chason Hayward and the Dodgers lead at six to three.
Speaker 3: Oh, how do you like that day? He comes up.
Speaker 9: Big time bus the pench for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Jason Hayward.
Speaker 2: Making the case that he belongs on this roster and is a big part of it coming off the bench a go ahead, three run home run in the bottom of the eighth inning to give the Dodgers a six to three win. The six to three lead was preserved by Daniel Hudson, his tenth of the season, Andres Munnos through a ninety nine fouall at the top of the strike zone that Hayward head out to right field. He takes the loss and Joe Kelly gets his first win in relief this season, and the Dodgers win their seventy fifth game of the year. They are now seventy five and fifty two on the season, currently holding the best record in baseball. Daniels Jewelers they are the official sponsor of the Trip around the Diamond. Stop by any Daniel's location and say home run for your free team bracelet and fifty dollars gift card toward any purchase of ninety nine dollars or more. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Dodgers beat the Mariners six to three tonight. They are now twenty two to twelve against the American League and now have an eight game winning streak over Seattle going all the way back to twenty twenty one. Let's go back out to the phones. Miles, who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight? Hi, Miles, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Hey, how are you doing things to taking like I got two questions perfect to the different observation. You know, the last couple of seasons, as you well know, the Dodger used for doing great during the season and then they collapse in the postseason. And if you look at what very telling statistic time.
Speaker 3: Wait, can we pump? Are you just talking about the last two seasons?
Speaker 7: Yeah, the last two seasons the postseason when they collapsed. What was evidence statistic was both seasons they had a losing record in extra in the games when there's a lot of pressure on the team with the man on second basis, etc. So I was wondering this year they had a winning record in post in extra innings. But also what do you think there's any correlation between that phase to be seen of course how they do this postseason, But my question would be do you think that they could benefit from having the sports psychologist address the team for the postseason. That's voluntary for the players. I realized that pros they used to pressure that clutch players, but it seemed as a team that maybe the pressure got to that one. Maybe they the rust of not playing, you know, for a number of days just to ask such a great record.
Speaker 2: Well, Miles, Miles, number one, I appreciate the phone call. Great question number one on that. As you know, in the postseason, there is no gifted runner at second base, so whatever happened in the regular season with extra innings really doesn't correlate to the postseason because you don't get a runner at second base.
Speaker 3: But I understand your question.
Speaker 2: It's more about having team at bats, hitting the ball to the right side, doing the little things instead of just trying to hit a two run home run.
Speaker 3: That's number one.
Speaker 2: Number two, the Dodgers have a sports psychologist on their staff. He's on their coaching staff. He's in the dugout every game in coach's uniform, so they have that at their disposal. Do you have another question.
Speaker 7: Yeah, My other question, as a general baseball question, how many reviews can candle at the same given time, considering their multiple games being played. If there were many, you know, calls for review at the same time, how many could they handle to say time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, they have multiple umpires looking at games, right, There's not just one umpire back there, so they have a few different people, a few different umpire umpiring crews in the command center. For that reason, so if there is a review at the same time, let's say, uh here and in San Diego, the Dodgers and Mariners don't have to wait for them to settle what else is going on in San Diego? And in fact, the guy that would be the best to answer any replay questions would be Rick Monday, who actually was able to take a tour of the command center in New York a couple of years ago, and he said it was remarkable what they're able to do.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, it's a you.
Speaker 2: Know how umpiring crews switched through different cities, Well, the command center in New York is a stop for every rotating umpiring crew.
Speaker 7: Okay, well thanks to my questions.
Speaker 2: Answer Okay, thanks, Miles appreciated. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Kind of felt like I was taking a test right there, like the SATs.
Speaker 3: I was starting to get the sheiks. I was hoping I get the answer right.
Speaker 2: Well, when you're prepared and you understand, and you're around people like Rick Monday, you get an education every night. And also the coaching staff down there with Dino Ebel and Clayton McCullough and obviously Dave Roberts and Bob Garren knows his stuff pretty well. With the rule book, you start to understand things a little bit better, so better prepared to answer calls like that from Miles. By the way, speaking of being on the witness stand, I don't know. For some reason today I felt like Dave Roberts pre game press conference.
Speaker 3: I felt bad for Dave Roberts.
Speaker 2: I want to step in front of the press conference room and say stop badgering the witness. I mean, these writers were coming after him. Who's the closer?
Speaker 3: Is Copek? The closer is Evan Phillips the closer?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: What's the roster move? What are you gonna do with Chris Taylor? It's like whoa, whoa pump the breaks there. He's the manager, He's not making roster decisions. He has some input. And you know, these writers, there's one in particular that wants to continually ask about who the Dodger closer is. Dave Roberts is on the record as saying he is comfortable with closer by committee right now. Last night, Evan Phillips closed out the game. Daniel Hudson closed it out. Tonight, Michael Kopek closed out a two to one win in Saint Louis. They got three guys capable of doing that, especially when Phillips is on his game. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. Let's go out to La Morata. Mike, you're on DOC you talk.
Speaker 10: How you doing Mike, Hey, I'm doing well. Thanks for taking my call. It is actually at the game tonight was an awesome, awesome game to watch. That hit by Jay he it was huge. But watching that game and I made me want to ask you if you're concerned about the Dodgers and like productive outs and them being able to manufacture runs in the postseason. I know there's a couple opportunities tonight, Mookie with Showy at third and then Keik not getting Edmond over to third, but nobody out in the eighth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a little bit of a concern. Those are the little things that can get a much needed run across in the postseason.
Speaker 3: Mike.
Speaker 2: But even talking to Freddie Freeman, he said it's tough to string three or four hits together in the playoffs against number ones and number two's. And that's why, as much as we don't like to hear it, having players that are capable of doing what Jason Hayward did tonight, even as unexpected as it was, can help you win a playoff game. So having that ability and more players having that ability to be able to hit the ball out of the ballpark can be the difference in winning or losing a playoff series.
Speaker 10: Oh no, I agree, I agree, that's your Miller.
Speaker 2: I think back to the twenty nineteen and LDS Matt Batty had an opportunity and see it goes back to the situation and the player, right, Matt Baty shouldn't be trying to be hero.
Speaker 3: He should have been trying.
Speaker 2: To hit the ball to the right side to get the run home in the twenty nineteen and LDS Game five. To me and talking to some other managers that we're watching that series, that was the play that the Dodgers may have lost Game five because they needed that run and it would have given them more insurance in that Game five. I know I'm going way back, but that's an example to what you're talking about.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, no, and again they hit him off to get arms and with one of those excuse me, with Miller and Munios. But I mean, you're gonna be facing tough arms in the postseason, So I was just wanted if that was any any time, I know you need those those power bats off the bench.
Speaker 2: I'm with you to be able to I think that's been part of the downfall the last couple of postseasons, as well being one dimensional and not making adjustments in the middle of the game.
Speaker 3: So I think you're onto something.
Speaker 2: But adding a player like Tommy Edmund and also having a player like Gavin Lux swinging the bat the way he is difference making lineup right now Mike one through nine.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, I agree with the way Lux has been swinging it. And Tomy Edmund clutch at bat today, clutch play at short And then Brazier's two innings were huge I thought tonight too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great point.
Speaker 2: Ryan Brazier looked great in Saint Louis, and he looked great tonight, two scoreless innings after Walker Bueller only went four tonight. There were a lot of This was a team win to keep the score where it was and to be able to chip away. How about Max Munsey and Gavin Lux homering in the same inning for the second straight last night it was in the seventh inning. Tonight, it was in the fourth inning, Gavin Lux with a solo home run, and then Munsey a couple.
Speaker 3: Of batters later, also a solo home run.
Speaker 2: Monsey with two home runs and as many nights since his return, this is a tough lineup to get through. Eight six, six, nine seven two five seventy is the phone number before the game today if in casey missed it. We had an Instagram live with Justin Turner and you can watch the full interview on our Instagram page at a five to seventy. LA Sports brought to you by Modello, the standard for authentic Mexican beer. It's not a Michilada if it's not made with Modello Modello Rude for those with a.
Speaker 3: Fighting spirit with taste that's pure gold.
Speaker 2: Here was part of our conversation with Justin Turner sharing his thoughts on the emotional pregame ceremony last night.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 11: It was something. It was pretty special, and you know, I want to thank the whole Dodgers organization for putting so much thought and time into that and and making it in a night that myself in court and one day, Bo we'll always remember.
Speaker 2: So I know you had some idea the Dodgers were going to honor your first return back here.
Speaker 3: But did it exceed your expectations?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I knew, I knew someone was going on. They told me that they were going to do a presentation after the anthem and then didn't know what. Obviously go out there and the tribute video was was amazing. Had me, uh, you know, in all my feels and running back all the memories, all the great memories we've had here. The Czech presentation to the Foundation, I think was certainly spectacular. I think everyone here knows how much the Foundation means the court and I how much work, especially Courtney puts into the foundation. So that was definitely a nice, nice touch. But the thing that got me the most, and you know, thinking back and I actually wrote text to a bunch of the guys this morning, but you know, I've been a part of that on the other side. You know, when guys make their return to down your stadium, and usually it's one or two guys come out and give a gift or a jersey or a picture or something. When I turned around and saw ten guys coming out of the dugout, uh, you know that that kind of got me a little bit and uh, I don't know if that was planned. I don't know if that's how it was supposed to go. But you know, I wrote all those guys this morning and that that meant the world to me, and uh that was at that point I started getting a little little moke. I was doing great until I saw all those guys walking out.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh man, this is this is cool.
Speaker 2: That is so cool to have Justin Turner share those feelings. And I know how much his teammates meant to him and how much uh uh he means to them, and that was evident by what we saw last night. And I even got a phone call from Andre Ethier, who was, uh, he checks in almost every other day, but he wanted me to send his best to Justin Turner because he even acknowledged that without Justin they don't have as much winning as they did while Drey was on the team and obviously during his nine years.
Speaker 3: And how about this.
Speaker 2: Andre Ethier also told me, because we talked shot, we talk baseball, I told him about Key Hernandez going to an optometrist to get a different type of eye exam and it found out that you know, he needed a different prescription for his glasses and that's when he's taken off in the month of August. Andre Ehier actually told me he did the same thing after the twenty fourteen season. He went to go see an i specialist after he only hit two forty nine and twenty fourteen. He got corrective contacts and he came back in twenty fifteen hitting two ninety four with fourteen home runs and fifty three RBIs. So what keiy K a Hernandez did is something more hitters should do. Because Andre was telling me that he just didn't feel right, he couldn't see the ball out of the hand of the picture, and it sounded exactly like what Keik was describing. And he also said the eye test given in spring training, like key K said, is very standard. So if you're feeling a little off with your eyes, you have to go to a specialist like these guys did. So uh Kik way to go, and other players should not be afraid to do the same if they're feeling the same way.
Speaker 3: As far as their their depth.
Speaker 2: Vision from you know, where it's coming out of the pitcher sand to oncoming vision. As a hitter, that's number one. You need that all right, let's go out to Mario Bay. Julian, you're on Dodger Talk. I love Morobay.
Speaker 5: Hey, David, Yeah, it's a great place to visit, great place to live too. And do you think any of the umpires could go to Keyk's optometrist?
Speaker 3: That would be right? Gave you three guess is what CB stands for? And see B. Buckner?
Speaker 5: I don't. I was trying to believe it, right, I can't.
Speaker 2: Think, but he's definitely optically challenged when it comes to balls and strikes. And look, I remember Chick hern saying this as an NBA announcer when it came to referees. If you know their names, they're not very good.
Speaker 3: So we know C. B.
Speaker 2: Buckner's name, we know Angel Hernandez's name. We knew Joe West's name, so as we know C. B. Buckner, that's not a good thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I was listening to the audio feed and I like to say a shout out to Charlie Steiner. It's great to hear him coming back and being on more of the audio. But Rick Monday had an interesting point about that lux home run that he thought about it and since he played a lot of outfield. He said, you know, there may have been a second ball trapped behind the padding that got laudged loose when the outfielder hit the wall and it dropped out, And by looking at the replay on TV, it sure looks like that maybe what happened. It'd be interesting if you can find out later did the actual home run ball fall behind the fence and was that really a second ball that appeared out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: So there you go, Rick Monday giving us the answer.
Speaker 2: I actually missed that part of the broadcast, but that makes a lot of sense because on the replay the ball cleared the center field wall. So yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Thanks Julian. And yes, it was nice to have Charlie stop by the booth today and hear his voice. It was nice to see Chris Taylor in the Dodger Clubhouse yesterday. Tonight he was playing for Rancho Cucamonga, the first of two rehab games scheduled for Chris Taylor in Rancho Cucamonga. He's on the injured list with a groin injury, and yesterday he told me that he has made some noticeable changes in his swing and Chris Taylor has been part of this team since twenty seventeen, and he has seen a lot of different seasons with the Dodgers, including the close races of the one sixty three season in twenty eighteen, and also the Dodgers winning one hundred and six games in twenty twenty one and coming up one game short to the Giants. So I asked him whether or not this season feels like those.
Speaker 9: I mean, I guess as far as like us not having a huge lead, you know, which a lot of the years who've been here, we've been fortunate enough to have that comfortable lead, and I think maybe two of the seasons I've been here, it's been like pretty tight down to the end, and you know, so from that regard, yet feels kind of like that. It's like definitely like a heavy, a tough, top end division. You know, it's three legit like World Series contenders. So I think it's good though, and you know, we're really just focused on ourselves and like for us, it's big like getting healthy. I think we're finally starting to get some guys back and you know, hopefully some of the guys that just recently got banged up and play. I don't know yet. But but yeah, I think it's more just focusing on if we know, if we perform the way we're capable of, we'll be We'll be there.
Speaker 2: It's Taylor talking about this year's division race as tight as twenty eighteen and twenty twenty one were for the Dodgers, and Chris Taylor tonight was one for four with two RBIs playing second base at Rancho Kucamonga.
Speaker 3: Now this is.
Speaker 2: Where there are tough roster decisions to be made. The previous one to activate Monthsey and Edmund did not seem as tough because Nick on med was not going to get a lot of playing time with Tommy Edmund on this team with Miguel Rojas playing the way he is, Andy Pa has had options. So those were the two logical choices and kind of layups to activate Muncie and Tommy Edmond. And tomorrow Blake Trining is going to be activated. So there's a good chance Ben Casparrius is return to Oklahoma City because the Dodgers did not use him tonight, and Jack Flaherty is pitching tomorrow, so you expect him to go at least six innings. But here it is you got Chris Taylor, you got Kevin Kiermyer, and you got Jason Hayward. How do the Dodgers keep all three on the roster. That's a tough question. And rosters do expand by two in the month of September, but that's not happening for another six or seven days here. So do the Dodgers make Chris Taylor extend his rehab assignment for another week? Can they ask him to do that?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It would be convenient for everybody involved, because then you wouldn't be forced to try to maneuver for Kevin Kiermeyer or Jason Hayward for however you want to do it. I mean, ker Myer was picked up off of waivers, so there were other teams that had a chance to claim him and they chose not to. But kier Myers played great defense, He's had some team at bats. But Jason Hayward showed tonight what he can do off the bench and has showed it over the course of this season in small sample sizes. Tonight was Hayward's eighth pinch hit at that He is now four for eight with two home runs and seven RBIs. And that's what the Dodgers are thinking when it comes to Hayward catching lightning in the bottle like they did tonight in the eighth inning where he was able to hit a ninety nine fastball at the top of the strike zone for a three run home run off the bench. What are the chances Kevin Kiermeyer could do that. Two different players that bring two different styles to the Dodgers bench. I would take Kevin Kiermyer AND's center field defense civilly over anybody right now. I like the way he has team at bats. He's a great clubhouse guy. But you could say the same about Jason Hayward. I you know, I just Tommy Edmond's gonna get a lot of time in center field. He's gonna spot start at shortstop on those days like tonight. It was great to have a player like Kevin Kiermyer in center and frankly, the Dodgers, between Paz and Outman have not gotten great center field defense, and that was a part of their team they needed to shore up, and they did that with two different players and kier Meyer and Edmund. Now kier Meyer was playing a lot more because Edmund was still on the il, but with Edmund back.
Speaker 3: Now here we go.
Speaker 2: You know, the Dodgers have a tough decision to make, so we'll see what direction they go in. But I would love to see all three still on this roster on September.
Speaker 3: First.
Speaker 2: All right, here's your Yoshi Yamamoto update. He is going to throw another simulated game here Dodgers Stadium. Once he does that and he feels good, he will do it one more time and extend himself to three innings tomorrow, two innings, one more time, three innings, and then the Dodgers will send him out on a rehab assignment and from there they should have him back sometime in the middle of September to get at least two starts before the postseason. And Yamamoto better be prepared to ramp this thing up. As far as getting five six days of rest in the postseason, that's not how it works, unless the Dodgers are thinking about a five man rotation in the playoffs. But as you know, in the postseason, you ride the hot hand. So if Yamamoto pitches five or six scoreless innings, he'd better be ready to go again in a short series or in a best of seven series.
Speaker 3: That's the way it works.
Speaker 2: That's why you got the richest contract of any starting pitcher in baseball history. Tomorrow, Jack Flaherty, who I believe will be one of the first three starters in a postseason series for the Dodgers, will be on the mound. He's nine to five with an ERA at three zero six, going up against a very good pitcher in Logan Gilbert, who is having another really good year, even though his record doesn't reflect it lack of offense. Seven and nine with an ERA of two ninety six. He will be going up against the Dodgers and trying to avoid the Dodgers sweeping the Mariners out of La Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock tomorrow, with first pitch at seven ten.
Speaker 3: That'll do it for us tonight from Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 2: Thanks to Colin Yee back at our Burbanks Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald doing a great job out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening.
Speaker 3: In case you missed any.
Speaker 2: Of the show, you can always find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's where you can find all our pregame conversations like today with Justin Turner, Yesterday's with Hunter Paducca.
Speaker 3: Sundays with Gavin Stone. The list goes on and on.
Speaker 2: Just search Dodger Talk on your iHeartRadio wipping you'll find all of the content there. Follow like, subscribe, do all of that stuff, and you can also follow us on social media at officially vassay, on Instagram and on x at the Real Underscore DV once again. The final score tonight from Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers come from behind to beat the Mariners six to three. Coming up next that bump Ben Maller on Fox Sports Radio. Have a great rest of your night. Enjoy Fountain Talk on the Ben Mallor Show next right here on m five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 7: See um