Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Go to Europe. You don't see American cars. There see lots of Japanese cars. You see French cars, of course, you see German cars. You see Italian cars, and they slide right off the road.
Speaker 3: For some reason, they you just can't stay on the road. I never understood why.
Speaker 1: And now Handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: Here's Bill Handle, Good morning everybody, Bill Handle and the morning crew. It is a Tuesday morning Taco Tuesday, April eighth.
Speaker 2: By the way, that promo where I had mentioned the Italian cars, let me get new here the Italian cars slip off the road, and then Neil said, was at a joke about oily car? Yep, it certainly was all right, good morning to everyone. By the way, how long did that take for me to go back into depraved, racist, unbelievablely crude morning talk.
Speaker 4: Twenty two seconds?
Speaker 3: That is absolutely correct. Good morning, Amy, good morning Bill and the lovely Neil, Good morning, Neil.
Speaker 1: Good morning racist, thank you, and good.
Speaker 3: Morning good morning. And there's codo.
Speaker 2: I can't see you, kno, but I can certainly heart party.
Speaker 4: But me oh Yeah, it's not you this time. Bill.
Speaker 3: Oh, there you go, there you go. Hello and Will And I don't see Will. Is he running around?
Speaker 4: No, he'll be back tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Okay, he's out making some real money as opposed to working here at iHeart. Okay, I want to start before we get into what's going on today, and of course a full day because news cycles are now twenty four to seven. Yesterday we talked about Jay North, Dennis Amenas dying and j North.
Speaker 3: I remember as a kid.
Speaker 2: Watch Jing Dennis the Menace religiously, and Jane North got his start.
Speaker 3: I'm reading his obituary. And he got his start. He became to Los Angeles, born in LA.
Speaker 2: And there was a local television show called Engineer Bill.
Speaker 3: And I remember that.
Speaker 2: Because I would watch it after school every day and they would have kids come on and sort of in the audience, but be part of the stick that was Engineer Bill. And he'd wear a hat and he had a little train, the train hat and the whistle and all of that. Anyway, so Jane North out of that, parlayed that into and his mom pushed him into a career as a child actor. And you know how you have memories come back. And I haven't thought about this literally in probably fifty years, and it just came back to me. There was also an afternoon show, Bozo the Clown.
Speaker 3: If you remember Boso.
Speaker 2: There was a Boso in every single town and Boso the Clown and we're talking back, and I was six eight years old, right, we Bozo the Clown. Every afternoon there was a kids show. People would go to the studio kids and they would do that version of stupid pet tricks, you know, kids whose dogs would roll over and you know, and that was all yeah, yeah, yeah, great, and you'd get some kind of little prize and you would and the parents would ride into the show and say, my kid's pet does insert name of whatever stupid trick and okay, producers would go, come on to the show and you do your thing. So I had a little cat named Sunset. I haven't remember this in decades, and she was just a little kitten, and we also had a dog, and kids, being kids, I would put the the I would put Sunset on my dog's back. I just got bored of taking a magnifying glass and put and lighting ants on fire, you know, during hot summer days, which, by the way, I didn't do, and so I put little Sunset on the dog's back and the dog would run around and Sunset, who was scared to death, right, we just grab on the dog as the dog went running around. I mean, okay, great, We're gonna go on Bozo the Clown because I've got a cat that runs around rides a dog. Called the producers and the producer said, yeah, that sounds good. So probably two weeks before Sunset and my dog, I forget the dog's name, we're going to be on the show.
Speaker 3: I couldn't sleep.
Speaker 2: I was so excited about going on Bozo the Clown and showing.
Speaker 3: My dog, and I was excited, excited. I couldn't stand it.
Speaker 2: And my parents are gonna take me down after school's a live show. Woke up the morning that we're gonna go down, went into the other room and there is Sunset, dead, splayed out on the floor. I was in therapy for thirty years over that one. By the way, I'm not making that story up.
Speaker 3: This actually happened. Well I don't know, I don't even remember, but it was.
Speaker 2: It was a dead cat, you know right there, you know, just splayed out.
Speaker 1: You couldn't tie it. To the back of the dog.
Speaker 3: That would have been great. I wish I had thought of that, Neil.
Speaker 2: Those were the days before, well before we became Neil and Bill.
Speaker 5: Don't put me in there. I can see. It's kind of the making of a villain. That's your origin story.
Speaker 2: So anyway, that so, reading the bio of Jay North did that to me. All right, guys, are see all.
Speaker 3: These little anecdotes, these little stories.
Speaker 2: That's what happens when you do a show like this and memories come flooding back.
Speaker 3: All right, guys, you ready to do it? Traumatized? Still traumatized by that?
Speaker 2: All right, It's time for handle on the news with Neil and Amy and me leave. Sorry, Well, we're looking at tariff wars, that's for sure. China is calling Trump's new tariff threat a mistake upon a mistake, and this is a gamble on Trump's part, and he's right in the sense that we are at the opposite end of these various wars that we have in terms of tariffs. We get tariffed more so than any of their country in terms of a selling products and services to them, and it is unfair. Now, it's a lot more complicated than that, other companies are caving like Cracy. Other countries are caving, saying okay, let's sit down and talk. China Holding firm just said no, thank you, and we're going to go to war, and they're going to go to war. We're going to go to war with China and it's going to be a mess.
Speaker 3: And we'll see.
Speaker 2: It's a big gamble that Trump is taking. And if he's right, it's going to change. Everything's gonna be much more fair. Our economy will be better for it. If he's wrong, we're diving into a recession.
Speaker 3: And say one thing, Trump's got balls.
Speaker 1: This man has balls, yes, but they're made in America.
Speaker 3: They are made in America.
Speaker 2: That's correct, So they're but they're very expensive to sell because the other countries have tariffs.
Speaker 5: The thing is, how do you get China to blink everyone else? I think they're going to come to the table sooner or later. I just don't know how you do it with China.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you do, because China, first of all, is obviously in autocracy in the sense that the Communist Party controls it one and whatever the president says goes.
Speaker 4: Do they need us?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And we need them, so that's yeah, maybe that's gonna eventually bring them to the table. I'm optimistic.
Speaker 2: I No, I don't think so, because you've got Trump. He's got three and a half years left and he's done unless he gets a lifetime at appointment, of course, and Congress says, we now have a lifetime president and we change the constitution. But Jinping yin ding On I always really screw up. Yeah, him too. You know, both both those guys are you know, they don't report to anybody.
Speaker 3: There's a pollop bureau there.
Speaker 2: But I mean the guy's as close to a dictator as you can get.
Speaker 5: He's not stupid. I like, like amy and optimistic. I just the China one is a tough one.
Speaker 3: Does they look like the nicest guy in the world.
Speaker 4: Though, Jinping, Yeah, he totally does.
Speaker 2: I know he You know, it's almost like you look at sloths, right, the smile they have and they just, you.
Speaker 3: Know, they look so sweet.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, they have these claws that will rip you to shreds slowly.
Speaker 3: But yeah, all right.
Speaker 4: Well the charge is murder. A youth soccer coach has now been charged with murdering a thirteen year old boy from San Fernando. His body was found along a road in Oxnard last week. Mar Garcia Akino was charged with murder with special circumstances, which means that he could be eligible for the death penalty. Law enforcement found the body of the thirteen year old boy after he failed to come home from a trip to Lancaster last week.
Speaker 3: Okay, what a weird story.
Speaker 2: Because family tried to call him, the coach picked up the phone and said, the kid is busy and can't come to the phone. This story is so weird that I just I just don't get it.
Speaker 4: And it's also weird to me that a thirteen year old was able to take a train on his own to Lancaster. It's thirteen.
Speaker 2: Well that's today. You know, fifty years ago you could no one bothered. You know these are all today have this. This is helicopter parenting. Where when I was a kid getting on a train going someplace else, no one would think twice, staying at home by myself, no one would think twice parents going away for a couple of days.
Speaker 3: When I was eight and big deal.
Speaker 5: I used to take a train to Hollywood all the time. Yeah, you know that shopping on Melrose.
Speaker 4: You know the BART system up in the Bay Area. Sure, we used to live up in Walnut Creek and my mom or my friend Stephanie's mom would literally take us down to the train station when BART first opened and say have a good day, and we go ride the trains all day because it was so fun. Yeah, but that was a different.
Speaker 2: Time, different time, absolutely, different time, different world.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we always had friends with us.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 5: The Supreme Court yesterday allowed President Donald Trump to enforce the Alien Enemies Act for now, handing the White House what is obviously a pretty major victory that will let immigration officials rely on a sweeping wartime authority to rapidly deport or any alleged gang members and the like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this has to do with does the President have the right to invoke the Alien Enemies Act? And the Court said, yeah, it's basically the president's call. It used to be that quote, wars were only allowed to be declared by Congress. You know when the last time Congress actually got involved and declared a war pursuant to the Constitution December eighth, nineteen forty, one.
Speaker 3: Day after Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 2: And there has never been a declaration of war since then, all.
Speaker 3: The wars we've been involved with.
Speaker 2: It is the president's call, and it's the president's call to say that person is an enemy alien and I'm going to invoke that, and therefore I can do what I can do, all of it under the Alien Enemies Act.
Speaker 1: So the Korean War as well, I mean, I know.
Speaker 3: The police action. It wasn't the Congress did not vote on it.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was considered a police action, not a war, not a declared war. It was a UN action, is what it was. The United States was part of the UN.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 4: A good day to be a Gator? Cougar's not so much. Florida has won its third national championship. Kno said it was a nail bier last night. The Gators won at sixty five sixty three after overcoming a twelve point second half deficit and then making one final defensive stand where they prevented Houston from getting a shot off before the clock ran out.
Speaker 2: How many forty year old women with teenage boyfriends are upset?
Speaker 3: What do you think right now in this country?
Speaker 1: Where are you going?
Speaker 2: Cougar's Yeah, yeah, gotcha, thank you very much. Kono is set up for this. He starts laughing immediately.
Speaker 3: Boys, I got on.
Speaker 4: I got that one quick, and Neil and I are both h.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I was brought up in a time where jokes were funny.
Speaker 3: Thank you for that, Neil.
Speaker 2: No people, you know, people go, do you really does Neil do that to you when you guys were just together alone and you're not on the air constantly.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, we rid of each other though, that's what that's what friends are for. Supreme Court declined Monday to decide whether New York law requiring residents to have got to love these descriptions in law right built good moral character to carry a handgun, whether it's constitutional, leaving in place most of the state's ban on carrying weapons in sensitive places, so schools, parks, theaters and the like. You know, who gets to define good moral character?
Speaker 3: And you're right.
Speaker 2: That's the problem is laws fail because of vagueness. That's one of the rules of law that you cannot have a law that is too vague and it just falls on its face, just can't be enforced because it is.
Speaker 5: Listen to the description bill, this makes sense. Having the essential character, temperament, and judgment necessary to be entrusted with a weapon and use it only in a matter that does not endanger oneself or others.
Speaker 1: It makes sense, But how do you yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: Who makes that decision? And where is the line? I guess they can invoke the reasonable man theory. I mean judges are the law is and juries are always asked to invoke what would a reasonable person do under these circumstances? You can use that, but that is generally in a criminal trial. When you're looking at that, this one is, you know, what's good moral character. I'm surprised the court upheld that one. I really am and this is ever good. And by the way, this is in favor of gun control. You know this is a pro gun control uh measure? Oh RFKJ god, I love them.
Speaker 4: Get ready for a lot of rotted out teeth. US Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Junior has says that he plans to tell the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to stop recommending floridation for communities around the country. In addition, the EPA announced yesterday that it is reviewing new scientific information on potential health risks of Florida and drinking water. Now, Kennedy can't order communities to stop using fluoridation, but can direct the CDC to stop recommending it.
Speaker 3: This is insane.
Speaker 2: There was an issue about Florida putting fluoride in the water when I.
Speaker 3: Was a kid. We're talking in the fifties, all right.
Speaker 2: There was huge discussion about this and it was controversy to putting fluoridated water in the LA system, the LA water supply system.
Speaker 3: Right, we're going to put fluoride in there. No, you're not. Why because it was a communist plot.
Speaker 2: Seriously, that was the reason that people were against fluoridating the water because con means we're trying to put fluoride in the water.
Speaker 1: Okay, what was the community is fluoride red?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, actually I don't even know what color fluoride is, probably colorless. But the point is that was the reasoning for that. It was crazy red baiting during the fifties. Now we have Robert Kennedy and this is conspiracy theory, pseudoscience.
Speaker 3: By the way, fluoride has been around.
Speaker 2: For what fifty sixty years in our water system, and it is proven it stops or helps with cavities with kids, particularly poor kids that don't have great habits in terms of oral hygiene.
Speaker 3: And now he's trying to unravel that.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, guys, he has nuts, genuinely nuts.
Speaker 1: I tend to agree with you to what end. I don't understand this.
Speaker 3: I don't get it. I don't get at.
Speaker 1: Least a new vaccine.
Speaker 5: You could go, okay, well he's worried about its newness or something. But this has been around forever I know, And I feel like they're trying to make zero have a zero issue society, and you're not gonna do that with medicine.
Speaker 2: Well, look at the measles vaccine that he turned around on. This is just crazy. I mean, I don't have cavities because well a lot of it. I have very few because I drank fluoridated water. Matter of fact, look, no, my cheef right there?
Speaker 3: Can you see?
Speaker 4: Beautiful?
Speaker 3: There you go? You know you there? Oh yeah, there they are right there. Huh.
Speaker 1: We all thought your teeth were would okay?
Speaker 3: Well, said Chief Justice.
Speaker 5: John Roberts agreed Monday to pause a midnight deadlight for the Trump administration to return a Maryland man mistakenly deported to a notorious prison in El Salvador. Probably not a good place to be, so the temporary order comes hours after a Justice Department emerges. He appealed to the Supreme Court, arguing US judge overstepped her authority when she ordered this individual return to the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, think about this. This is a call.
Speaker 2: Who decides who's going to be deported and who is not to be deported. Justice Department, they make a decision. They the State Department issues visas and passports, and it's strictly an executive office function. Okay, fair enough. So guy who was mistakenly deported and the government doesn't disagree that he was mistakenly deported. The government said, yeah, we made a mistake here, but it's not to the courts to say he has to come back.
Speaker 3: It's our call.
Speaker 2: Now the issue becomes does the Trump administration try to get him back and just say, oops, we made a mistake. Let's try to undo this mistake. Not really, because they think he is a member of the MS gang MS thirteen gang, and.
Speaker 1: Therefore where's the mistake.
Speaker 2: The mistake was reporting him with he's a I understand, but he was not here illegally.
Speaker 3: I don't believe I. I think they tossed him.
Speaker 2: He was under an asylum, some kind of an asylum program. I know it could be that at some point. I mean, there was an investigation going on, because that's what happens. When you walk in and he asks for asylum. The legal process starts, and at the end of it they can say no and kick you out. But you're here legally and you and you have the right to have all of these protections.
Speaker 3: But it's the government. It makes that call.
Speaker 2: And they're saying that the courts it's not up to the court. And what Chief Justice Roberts said is that's absolutely correct. It's not the government's call. Trump administration wants to bring him back, let him try. They're not even trying that. You said, Oops, that's that's a problems.
Speaker 5: He's on one of the balconies at the warehouse coming Yeah, we tried.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't. You don't want to be on the wrong side of a white house. Oops. During this administration, party own people.
Speaker 4: Lawmakers in California are looking to pass legislation that would extend last call for alcohol past two am. The goal, according to lawmaker Matt Haney, who introduced this yesterday along with some other lawmakers in LA said is to attract tourism and boost the hospitality business in downtown areas that have still been trying to recover since the pandemic. The bill would set up hospitality zones, mainly in big cities La San Francisco, and if they set up that zone, they would be allowed to serve alcohol until four am on Fridays, Saturdays and state holidays.
Speaker 2: Amy, do you think that would help the tourism industry bar staying open till four o'clock instead of two am? No. I wish you'd be honest and just say, hey, I'm representing a bunch of bar owners and they want to make more money.
Speaker 4: Yeah. If it was Las Vegae, it would be different. It's not Las Vegas.
Speaker 3: It's just I don't think it down.
Speaker 5: LA's problem is not yeah, farah.
Speaker 2: And by the way, the argument is I have a constitutional right to get drunk at three am, get in my car and kill someone, and no one's going to get in the way of that.
Speaker 4: I can't believe that there hasn't been more pushback because of exactly that.
Speaker 5: All Right, Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass maybe you heard of her. She named a new deputy mayor for public safety. It's a former FBI official, Robert Clark, this is going to be your top eight overseeing police and fire issues. Oh boy, good timing. And this is four months after Brian K. Williams, who was in that place it was placed on administrative leave after being accused of making a bomb thread against City Hall. You can't make this up. By the way, Williams still on city payroll.
Speaker 2: Hey, let me ask if Karen Bass were run today for mayor, how do you think she'd do ye?
Speaker 1: I don't think not well, I don't know. La is pretty stupid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, La is pretty stupid.
Speaker 5: And we get somebody who spends his own money on making La better and the Southland better and didn't.
Speaker 2: Choose him and was a This is a successful businessman who knows how to run a bureaucracy, who is not a traditional politico and they ran on basically the same ticket. There is no difference between the two of them. And so what does La do. La elects someone who was in the system before. Whether she was elected because of her race because she was black, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Today. I don't know if that's an advantage or a disadvantage. I have no idea, but the fact that she is.
Speaker 2: A traditional political operative not operative but political figure, and she had the Democratic political machinery. And to your point, you're absolutely right, La is La. Politics is politics, and it doesn't matter who has credentials, who runs, who doesn't.
Speaker 5: Cruso could live anywhere he wants, That's correct. He continues to stay and support Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's incredible, he is.
Speaker 1: And we didn't vote for him.
Speaker 3: Nope, Nope, we're stupid.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of it has to do with he spent one hundred million dollars of his own money because he could never he would never be able to get any kind of support that she did. She is deeply embedded in the Democratic machinery here in southern California, in Los Angeles, and.
Speaker 3: I hope she gets nailed. I hope she does.
Speaker 2: She did a horrible job with the business with the fires and then try to worm her way out of it as a post I.
Speaker 3: Know she said, you know what, You're right. I blew it.
Speaker 2: Hey, guys, people make mistakes. I made a huge mistake here. Now let's get to work and what can I do to make this better? Oh no, no, I didn't do anything wrong. No, No, it was just I mean, it was just one excuse after another.
Speaker 4: You may have to pay if you choose to buy now, pay later. Here's why. If you buy a pair of shoes or makeup and choose that option that pops up now to ooh, split it up into four installments, it could start showing up on your credit report. A firm is one of the largest buy now, pay later lenders and says that starting today, it's going to furnish all new loans to the credit agencies, similar to how a mortgage or a car loan shows up on your credit report.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, think about this.
Speaker 2: You can buy dozens of products on a buy now, pay later and it doesn't show up that you owe the money.
Speaker 3: It's not a question for saying you're a flake.
Speaker 2: It's a question of it is an outstanding loan that doesn't show up.
Speaker 3: And to your point, that's absolutely correct.
Speaker 2: By the way, you misspoke, it's not not you make four payments.
Speaker 3: You make four easy payments.
Speaker 4: Right right. I left out the easy I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Just for easy payments.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, here's your fifteen dollars purchase. Would you like to split that into four payments.
Speaker 5: I've done this for equipment before, you know, and there's no interest Usually no interest in.
Speaker 1: Payment because I pay it if you.
Speaker 4: Pay it off ahead four, But if you don't pay it off in four, then you get charged with the interest on the back end.
Speaker 3: Oh, I always pay it, and they backdate it.
Speaker 2: They go all the way back to the time you first started at eighty percent annual interest rate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want to pay those off.
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 5: This is a sad story. You got a nine year old Kentucky boy. He died in floodwaters, which is sad on its own, but he was walking to catch a school bus.
Speaker 1: And that the situation is.
Speaker 5: Now they're asking why why was school not canceled because they were having massive storms at the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's a good question.
Speaker 2: Some someone screwed the pooch on this one, and there was there's negligence here someplace, and it's unfortunately a cost us little boy is life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I don't know if it's you know, because schools don't get paid if you don't the kids.
Speaker 2: Well, it depends on the state. It depends on the state. But still, either did the parents know? Was the weather report was that specific saying it is that dangerous? Did someone in the school system miss it? I'm going to the school system. First, first thing, I go to the school system, and then we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: That time to talk. President Trump made a kind of surprise announcement yesterday said the US and Iran are going to do direct talks about Tehran's nuclear program. Trump said yesterday that the talks are going to start on Saturday, and also issued issued a warning saying if the talks are unsuccessful, Iran is going to be in great danger. Now Tehran has or said that there will be talks, but it's Foreign minister says the talks in Oman will be indirect through mediators.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you've ever been in a mediation, but you're in different rooms and the mediator runs back and forth with Hamas and Israel their negotiations through third parties, and usually it's at a hotel. They're on different floors. They won't even be on the same floor, in different rooms. So indirect talks are I don't think they're nearly as effective as looking someone in the eyeballs and talking, but we're not close to that yet, not with Iran.
Speaker 3: I don't know if we ever will be.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, I think we're done. This is KFI Am sixty you've been.
Speaker 3: Listening to the Bill handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my Show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app