Speaker 1: Time now four A nine for twenty one forecast, and they's got to be a mostly cloudy day today going off to eighty five. Clouds remain overnight sixty seven for the low chance of showers with body skies tomorrow eighty nine to high a few showers overnight as well, sixty four, and then the sun returns for the most part on Sunday with a high of eighty five. Right now sixty four degrees in Typer traffic from the UC Health Tramphic Center. Substance dependence is a treatable medical disease that affects both brain and behavior. You see health addiction sciences can help called five one, three, five, eight, five, eight, two two seven.
Speaker 2: List of accidents is growing.
Speaker 3: In addition to Westwood Northern being blocked off fern Croft of Montana, there's a wreckon mill above Temper on Field Zerto at Mason, Montgomery and in Claremont County, Williams Corner one thirty two at one thirty one Chuck Aingbramam fifty five krs.
Speaker 2: The talk station.
Speaker 1: One come up seven thirty two fifty five KRCD talk station continuing a theme spring from Don Heinrich Toltzman about the old days brewing in Cincinnati. Our brewing tradition continues. Welcome to the fifty five case morning, so Andy Ploxton and Greg Otis, who are responsible for the newest brewery in town, Hearth Brewery, Welcome to the program. Fellas, is awesome to have you on today.
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning, Brian, Thanks for having us on, Brian, thank.
Speaker 1: You my pleasure. Uh this, I know some people who brewed their own beer. As a matter of fact, I have a relative from on my wife's side of the family that makes his own beer. He does a really nice job, but it's in small backs. You know, you do it in your basement and you bother yourself. My understanding is is that you started in your garage. Andy As, I heard this all this this this Heart Brewery came to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's probably a pretty common story for for us craft brewers. We start in our garage or basement, brewing in five gallon buckets, you know, cooking on a cookstove, boiling that way, and you know, starting to share with friends and then it's it's kind of an addicting little hobby and it grows over time and it's a fun community, and as it grows and grows and you start to meet more people, that's when the excitement starts to build and leads to things like this.
Speaker 1: Well, did you guys know each other for a long time, like this was like a hobby like your golfing buddies and your brewing buddy kind of thing, or do you meet by virtue of like through your independent home brewing. I mean, I'm just kind of curious how long you guys known each other and how you got together.
Speaker 4: No, I appreciate the question, Brian, So, Andy and I have worked together in our professional lives were almost twenty years. And our third partner is which is my son. This is Greg so Coreotis our third partner got involved with home brewing from his father in law and it did not take very long to understand that interest from inside the family to connect into Andy. And these two have been brewing together here for the last five or seven years and talking about getting the bit by the bug. These guys have expanded it to something really impressive, both in terms of the size of their equipment and the continued investment that way, but also the quality of the beers and really honing in on some of the best beers in terms of the palate that Cincinnati has to offer around here. I would say I was interested in that previous conversation about heritage and the one thing, while the buildings may be disappearing over time, the ingredients do not, the recipes do not, and the heritage is alive and well, thanks.
Speaker 1: Well that is wonderful, you know a positive spin on that. I'm wanna pause. I'm going to bring you back because I want to talk about heart brewery generally speaking, but also for folks out there that may be interested. You know what that sounds like. It will be fun because I've always had that in the back of my mind homebrewing. That might be a fun hobby to start. I want to find out how long it takes you to come up the Great bat because I have a feeling probably a few of them went down the drain. I don't know, though, more with Andy Pluggsad and Greg Otis hang on. Will be right back. It's seven thirty five right now. If you five KOs they talk station. Because I want to recommend strongly Peter Shabria, Keloorwilliams seven Hills. Everybody needs a great real estate agent. If you're buying or selling a home, you absolutely need one. And the point of a real estate agent is you know you need value from them. They're getting a commission. The new commission structure is different. This is going to be beneficial to you. It's changed and they've managed this change, but it will bring better value. And you're working with the Schabrie Group of Keloriam seven Hills. You're working with the cream of the crop, the number one real estate group in the city of Cincinnati. Their mission is to give you a five star experience. And I know a lot of those over at the Peter Shebree Group of Keloriam seven Hills and the most notably Peter Shabrie, an outstanding group of agents. I think the best agents have gravitated otherwise been poached over to Peter Shabia Kelowiams seven Hills. Peter's brilliant, he knows what he's doing. They're gonna give you terrific value, whether you're a buyer's agent or seller's agent. For you, you can confidently get in touch with them to learn more about the the team, to learn more about the programs that they'd offer that nobody else has ever offering. Go to seven zero eight three thousand dot com seven zero eight three thousand dot com. Then you're gonna call them up. That's right. Five one three seven zero eight three thousand, fifty five KA most of Claude high eighty five today, got Cloudi's guy's over night sixty seven for the low eighty nine or high tomorrow with Bottis guys and a chance to shower a few showers overnight possible sixty four for the low, and comes Sunday mostly sunny with a high of eighty five sixty four right now traffic time.
Speaker 2: From the UC Health Tramping Center.
Speaker 3: Substance dependence is a treatable medical disease that affects both brain and behavior. You see health addiction sciences can help called five one, three, five eight, five eight two two seven.
Speaker 2: List of accidents is growing.
Speaker 3: In addition to Westwood Northern being blocked up Ferncroft to Montana, there's a wreckon mill above Temper, on Field Zerto, on Mason Discomery and in Claremont County, Williams Corner two at one thirty one King GRAMOMT fifty five KR the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty nine fifty five KRC Talk Station lightning things up here on a Friday, which is always a pleasure talking with Andy Plodgdead and Greg otis owners of a hearth brewery Canniballler Choreot is not on the phone, but he is one of the partners in this new hearth brewery. But you guys started out doing home brew, and again, I know people who have done it. I haven't ever gone down that road myself, although it seems intriguing opportunity to be creative. Is it a difficult thing to sort of learn? I mean, and I joked about it as we went into the break. I mean, I'm sure that some of the batches went down the sink. And I've heard people like trying to experiment and coming up with some really weird beers, and there are some really strange ones out there readily available. Is it a tough process to learn? How long does it take to you really feel confident you have a good batch? Guys?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know it's doesn't happen overnight, but there's a lot of parallel efforts with cooking. You know, it's if you kind of have a passion for cooking. So yeah, I mean, you're following a recipe you're starting out learning by by what others do with their own recipes, and from there you're you kind of branch out. You tweak recipes anyway, similar to the way you would cooking, you know, add a little more salt here to a to a pasta dish kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, but you know, yeah, no, I've had plenty of sink purse with some bad matches over the years before I've got things down, you know, with with homebrewing, carbonations really challenging, packaging is difficult. There's some different things that you know, now that we're we're launching into the commercial world, we're so excited. Some of the some of the headaches go away. But now with that new headaches as we're dealing with three hundred and thirty gallons at a time, but not screw up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I imagine. And I tell you what in the process you mentioned screwing up and the process of screwing up other than maybe trying to combine dumb ingredients or ingredients, ultimately they don't work together. And I am a I'm passionate man when it comes to cooking. I'm a total foodie. I spent my life growing I grew up in the kitchen. Still love to cook, So I get all that. But in terms of the biggest uh like stumbling block that you could run into in any given batch of brew is at the time on the on the on the stove, is it the fermenting time? Where's the biggest problem area in brewing your own beer?
Speaker 4: Well, we always say that the most important thing is sanitization, keeping everything clean. Yeah, so what happened to beers? It can get a bacterial infection and sour the beer, and so that that's our number one concern. We constantly are cleaning here, you know, wearing gloves, hosing things down. It's it's a constant effort to keep it as sterile as possible. That's that's number one priority at all times.
Speaker 1: Well, and dealing with consistency. You know, I'm an I p A guy, and there are certain a couple of different I p as that I regularly buy. They always taste the same, you know, how do you maintain that level of consistency? Like, okay, alcohol by volume is seven point five percent, It's seven point five percent this week, next month, next year, it's still going to How do you get that level of consistency batch after batge.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's about taking a million readings and measurements and adjusting if you have to, So I mean everything from the salt content of the water to the boil temperatures and times, uh, making small adjustments throughout the process. It's it's, yeah, everything you can do to try to be as consistent as possible. But we're constantly measuring and making adjustments throughout the process to make sure that we get the product the way we want it every time.
Speaker 1: And there's a sampling component too, like you're a smile in a way that you taste the product along the with a way to make sure that it is a consistent tasting product.
Speaker 4: Is that is?
Speaker 1: Have I got that right?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, we're tasting it when when it's a hot work coming out of the boil kettle, which you know it kind of tastes like a sweet hot tea at that point, we taste it as it's uh, you know, fermenting before it's carbonated. We taste it all along the way, so we have an idea what it's going to end up like just just by tasting right along the way exactly, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, in terms of establishing your own brewery, which is Uh, it's the hearth brewing companies where they is their brewery, it's a Hearth brewing just period Hearth brewing. Did you go around a lot. There's like fifty plus small breweries in the in the Greater SINCINNTI rak, I've lost track, there's so many. Did you go to a whole bunch of different ones to sort of figure out how you wanted Hearth brewing to look and to how you were going to design it? And uh and that kind of thing, because I wouldn't know the first thing about opening up my own business, let alone a brewing company.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a really good question. So obviously, yes, we're connoisseurs of the craft industry, and we do visit a lot of breweries, not only locally but around the country. And and I think we do have an affinity for a certain feel. Corey Uh has young kids, and we are very family centric in the way that we think it's very core value to our business. And so when we were thinking about where to locate ourselves first, we always we raised our kids. All of us raised our kids and are raising our kids on the West side of Cincinnati, And so we know we were going to be on the town, but we also knew that this was a bit of a beer desert out here. There's not a lot of attention given to the west side, yet it's the scrowing part of Hamilton County. We we really think it's an important place for us to invest. So we began to look around for the buildings that would begin to express that family oriented feel, and we actually looked at a couple of different buildings out on the west side before settling in on what formerly was the Berwinkle Market building in Harrison, Ohio. Great building, good bones, a lot of great assets like parking, etc. That make it very easy to use. And we immediately saw the opportunity by way of this beautiful building, Dutch colonial roof, big fireplace in the middle of it. What a great place to bring your family and hang out. And hence the name. Yeah, it came from the big stone fireplace that's in the middle of the building. So identity was created pretty quickly, and then it was just a matter of how to maximize the use of this property and make it a fun place to visit.
Speaker 1: How about that Hearth Brewing You can find them a line of Hearthbrewing dot com. It's it eleven ninety five stone drive case you want to go out there, and it is I want to emphasize the point you made a couple of times there. It is family friendly, you have food, and you welcome everybody.
Speaker 2: We do indeed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then it's wide open so you can see the brewing process as part of your visit. A lot of breweries do that. We feel like that's really important for people to be really connected to the process and the product. A lot of places indoor and outdoor to sit, hang out, play some games, have some fun. We really feel like being synonymous with Arison, Ohio and the identity of south Southwest Ohio is an important consideration. So yeah, we want to stay intimate with this community and welcome everybody. By way of the first public announcement, our grand opening will be Saturday, September twenty eighth, eleven am. We kick it off and look forward to people come out and.
Speaker 1: Visit with us Saturday, twenty eighth of September. Now on all important questions, you've already covered the food, you already covered the family environment. Yes you can, and they encourage you to bring your kids. Can you bring your dog.
Speaker 4: Because we have food. You can bring your dog, but the dog will have to stay on the outside portions of our establishment. We have a nice porch that seats about twenty five thirty people, and what used to be the greenhouse for the Burwinkles is now an outdoor patio which has plenty of space to hang out.
Speaker 1: Fantastic, gentlemen. I wish you all the best in the world on your new business endeavor. Thanks for spending time my listeners of me today again. Hearthbrewing dot Com opening on the twenty eighth of this month. Eleven ninety five Stone Drive, Harrison, gentlemen, hope we get to talk again and I'll be in your place sometime down the road. I assure you of that.
Speaker 4: Ah, thanks so much.
Speaker 1: My pleasure, My pleasure. Seven forty eight Cheryl Pop Honor Flight tri State. She'll be on next. It's seven forty eight first so USA Insulation outstanding product. It is the best and you have until the twenty second of this month to get the free attic installation. So call for the free inspection. Just lock in the appointment. You get the free attic insallation when you pay for the exterior walls to be having this amazing R value highest our value film in the market inject into the exterior walls of your home could be under insulated. You could have no insulation. That's what the free inspection is all about. If you need it, get it, because you get the free roof insulation or the attic insulation, and you get a twelve hundred dollars Energy Tax Credit Act now five one three three eight one three six two six three eight one foam online you find at USA insulation dot net fifty five KRC