Speaker 1: Understand the thinking atheist. It's not a person, it's a symbol, an idea.
Speaker 2: The population of atheists this country is going through the.
Speaker 1: Rule, rejecting faith, pursuing knowledge, challenging the sacred. If I tell the truth, it's because I tell the truth, not.
Speaker 2: Because I put my hand on a book and made a wish.
Speaker 1: And working together for a more rational world.
Speaker 2: Take the risk of thinking. Feel so much more happiness. Truth Fusian wisdom will come to you that way.
Speaker 1: Assume nothing, question everything, and start thinking. This is the Thinking Atheist podcast hosted by Seth Andrews.
Speaker 2: BI popular Demand. This is the audio and I have LinkedIn the description box the video from my July the eleventh events with No Illusions, both of us on stage at Anderson Center, Cincinnati, Ohio. We had a great crowd and a great time, and I'll take this chance to do a shameless plug. I'm taking this relative format to Fort Worth for August twenty ninth, the Unholy Trinity Reunion tour with me and arn Raw Matt Delahunty. Obviously, it's going to be wildly different because we're all doing our own material. I've got fresh stuff that I'm taking in Matt and arn have their own vibe and everything is going to be different, but the framing is going to be kind of the same. Three hours, jam packed full of good stuff, and there are still tickets for Fort Worth if you want to go. Unholy Trinity dot net is the website Unholy Trinity dot nets. Here we go. The audio from the show on the eleventh of July at Anderson Center in Cincinnati. Thank you so much for coming out today. How many people lied about where you were going? Yes, I see that hand, Yes, I see that hand. I have never had the opportunity to be on stage at the same time with no illusions the scathing atheist. But it's an honor to be here, and it's I'm so glad you guys came. You drove in from a deep South part of Georgia. I did, like, were there red flags everywhere?
Speaker 3: Trump flags and abortion billboards as far as the eye can see? And how's a I kid you not Trump barber shop in case, in case you want your hair to look like tunnel trumps.
Speaker 2: Today's going to be a pot pourri of fun stuff. I get a chance to speak at a lot of events, but for this one, I get a chance to kind of produce a little bit and mix things up. So we're going to each give, for lack of a better word, of formal presentation, and then we're going to come back. We've got a segment where we're going to read some of our weirdest and wackiest hate mail, and yes, you should prepare yourself for that. We brought some fun stuff to give away, some random prizes, some good Heathen swag that you're going to be able to take with you, and oh, you're all about to free stuff you transactionable. And then the last portion of the show, we're in the last half, we're going to do a lot of speaking to you. We have a roving microphone and we're going to bounce around and just have a conversation. Not necessarily doesn't have to be a question, but whatever's on your mind, if you want to make a comment, you want to be a part of a discussion with us, We're going to kind of pinball around and know it's an honor brother beyond all. How many podcasts are you on right now?
Speaker 3: Regularly five?
Speaker 2: I'm on pretty much one and I can't keep up. He's a superman. He's a superman. He's going to go first on the roster today, and so I'm just going to go ahead and introduce my friend. He is someone who, like many of us who are activists, and I think many of you, we all have a lot of us have an activist nature. We saw something, we heard something that sets something off in us, and we're like, I have to speak. What can I do one of my gifts? How can I participate and be a part of the conversation. And this guy did that very thing. I won't tell this whole story, but he has become someone who mixes smart and humor in a way that I have come to really admire. And it's an honor to be on stage, and I'm going to give the stage over to him. Ladies and gentlemen, no illusions, they do.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for coming out, braving the chili to be here Cincinnati, because I'm so happy to be and I'm so nervous as well, because it is intimidating as hell to share the stage with Seth Andrews.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I mean, for one thing, he's done like seven million events like this in his career. I've done like seven. But it's not just that it's also the voice, my God, I feel like I should.
Speaker 4: I feel like you should come out and do my whole talk like this, and then when Seth comes out, he'll feel the need to be even basier and sexier.
Speaker 5: Right, what would that even sound like?
Speaker 3: Can the human ear pick that up? But we can't. That would risk ripping a hole in the fabricous space time. And so I'm just gonna talk in my normal voice, and I'm gonna do a talk for you that I call how to die like an atheist.
Speaker 5: I'm very deceptive title. I know you hear that, and you're like, You're not dead?
Speaker 2: What the hell you know?
Speaker 3: And I'm not. I'll admit it. I am not now, nor have I ever been dead. I haven't even done that thing that's not dying that people call dying where your heart stops momentarily, but then it starts again and the inner and in the interim, either the ghost that drives your body flew away to heaven and met it savior it's Graham and all it's lost puppies, or you had drug induced dreams based on cultural expectations and then woke up in the hospital that definitely gave you drugs where one of those two things happened but they hadn't. But none of that shit's happened to me. Well, I've had drug induced streams, but none of the other shit has that happened to me? So where do I get off telling other people how to die? Well, it so happens that at one point in my life I came so very close to dying that my brain could not tell the difference between what it was experiencing and actually dying, and so it formulated what it had every reason to believe were its final thoughts. And that's actually what I want to talk to you guys about. I want to talk you about those final thoughts because as atheists, we hear a lot about our final thoughts, right, A lot of the times, a lot of predictions of the last things we'll be thinking. Usually it's people predicting that we're going to be thinking about how right they were in the argument that we're presently having with them. Right, we're going to think about how we should have spent more of our life loving Jesus, or we should have spent our lives or we would be afraid, right, because we don't know where we're going after we die. And we're afraid that it might be hell, the hell of their religion, not the others for some reason. But most often, of course, what we're told is we're going to be changing our minds at that last second, that our last thought is going to be something along the lines of, oh shit, I had it wrong, Jesus, accept you as my Lord and savior. Amen. And when you're presented with that argument, it's hard to argue back because you don't know, right, You don't know that. You probably know better than some asshole on Twitter, but you don't know what you're going to be thinking about what when you die. You never died before, and you're a rationalist, you demand evidence. Well that's where I come in, because I've had final thoughts, and I'll tell you write in advance they had nothing to do with the afterlife or Jesus or any of that shit.
Speaker 5: Spoiler alert.
Speaker 3: Now, I will tell you what I would the last thoughts were, but I have to get you there slowly. I got to tell you my story. So twenty twenty three, I had a heart attack. It wasn't a very good heart attack, both in the sense that I didn't do a very good job of having it and also in the sense that it didn't do a very good job of attacking my heart. My heart's fine now, thanks for asking, but so and luckily for me, my heart attack came with a good story. Because when you have a heart attack or something like that happens, so you got to tell the story. People will constantly ask you, know, what was it like to have a heart attack? And I feel like for a lot of people, it's a pretty boring story. Right, somebody had to have a heart attack just sitting in their living room, right, So what was it like? Well, I was sitting in my living room and I was watching ice road truckers and I thought, shit, that ain't right. So and then you gotta spend the rest of your like dressing that up, trying to make it a more interesting story, because everybody's asking you.
Speaker 5: To tell my heart attack.
Speaker 3: Luckily for me and for you, because I'm about to tell you the story if my heart attack came with a good story. Started in Las Vegas, to travel two thousand miles. There were vampires in it, troll Gordon Ramsay, two old ladies forcibly manscaping me while doing shtick. That's what we call foreshadowing. In the business right there. So let's start in Vegas where the heart attack started. So for years, me and my buddies, we want to do a show in Las Vegas. Heathan, right, Eli Bostic and me, we wanted to do a live show in Vegas because that sounds cool, right, live from Vegas.
Speaker 5: Sold out show in Las Vegas. That sounds awesome.
Speaker 3: It feels like it made it when you do that.
Speaker 5: That's hard to do, though.
Speaker 3: It turns out that Vegas is a really hard time to set up a live show in because it's really hard to rent a theater. There's a lot of demand on the theaters and they don't want to rent to a place to an event that's going to do a one night show.
Speaker 5: That's not entirely unusual for us.
Speaker 3: It might supreasure to find out that there are a number of cities in America that don't have robust theater rental sectors of their economy. So when we can't find a theater, usually we'll use a hotel, convention space. Those serve our purposes as well. Unfortunately, in Vegas, those are just as much of a premium as theaters. So it took a while. It took almost two years to find a place that we could host us. Finally, the Flamingo Casino and Hotel said they had space for us on October twenty eighth, which was one of the dates that we had sort of carved out as our availability, and they said, you can do your show at our hotel, but you can't tell people that you're at the Flamingo. And I'm like, can we give them a clue because they have to get there right And the guy says, no, no, no, no, you misunderstand. You can tell your audience that you're at the Flamingo. I'm like, okay, who else what I tell except the people that I talked to. He goes, no, no, no, you don't get. You don't get. What I'm saying is you can't say that you're live at the Flamingo. I says, oh, okay, okay. So I can say that we're live, and I can say that we're at the Flamingo. I just can't say we're live at the Flamingo. He says yeah. I said, so we'd have to leave a pause, and he goes, it would have to be a pretty big pause.
Speaker 5: I said, don't worry.
Speaker 3: My co host's excel at leaving pretty big pauses. I left that joking so I could tell where SATs listeners were.
Speaker 2: What is he talking?
Speaker 3: It's a bit on our show. We pause, I'd say it sounds like a shit bit. It's it works. You gotta you had to be there. So we do our show at the Flamingo and it was a great time. We had a great show there. And when we go to cool cities like Las Vegas or Cincinnati, will always build in an extra tourist day afterwards. Right, well, Eli, Well, because he's got a kid, he's gotta go home. But me and Heath we hung out an extra day in Vegas and a friend of mine New Float all the way in from Greece to do the show or to see the show. He said, I want to take you to fancy dinner tonight. And I said, God's trying to stop the show. He always does this. We might need an art to get out of here. Don't worry, that's my namesake. So so so anyway, so where was I was in Vegas?
Speaker 5: Wasn't I?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were going out for okay, So he said, I want to take you to fancy dinner. I so that's very sweet of you. I'm not really a fancy day though. I didn't like bring a suit in time with me because I don't own one, and he says, he says, no, I don't worry. I know a good place.
Speaker 5: It's it's casual, it's a it's a Gordon Ramsey restaurant.
Speaker 3: I told you he'd be here, he says, And it's it's you can just kind of come as you are. And I'm like, oh, that's awesome, I said, I'll go, of course, I said, I don't really know the menu.
Speaker 5: Have fancy places, though, so you might have to tell me what shit is.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 3: Don't worry. They've got a beef Wellington that you'll love. I said, that's, for example. I don't know what that is, he said. And it's like a it's like a fancy hot pocket. I said.
Speaker 5: Now you're speaking my language.
Speaker 3: And so we go out for fancy hot pockets at this Gordon Ramsey restaurant. But here's the thing. And if you're never into Vegas you might not know this, but in Vegas you can't just fucking go anywhere. It doesn't work like that in Vegas, in Cincinnati, anywhere else in the damn country. If you're in one place and you want to be another place.
Speaker 2: You just go there.
Speaker 3: You just get in your car or friend's car, you get an ub or whatever, and at the end of that trip, you're in the damn place that you wanted to be. That's not how Vegas works, because everything that you want to do in Vegas is part of one gigantic, infinite, subterranean labyrinth. The casinos and minuteturs and province bosses you got to fight your way through. So we're heading over to this resturance and Caesar's Palace. We're in the Flamingos. It's like a mile walk or something like that. And along the way, I find that I'm running out of breath. And that's really unusual for me. I'm a hiker. I like to take long walks, so but I just actually have to stop and catch my breath along the way. And this is the main reason I wanted to do this talk today. Hey, if that ever happens to you, If normally you can breathe and now you can't, go to the fucking hospital, doesn't seem like the kind of thing you'd have to tell people to do. But apparently somebody needed to tell me so I'm passing that news along, but I didn't think too much of it at the time. We walked on.
Speaker 5: We went.
Speaker 3: We had our fancy hot pockets. They were delicious, now that I think about it, ultra rare beef. Probably not great food to eat while you're having a heart attack, but if it had been my last meal, I would.
Speaker 5: Have chosen wisely.
Speaker 3: So anyway, so we have our fan and I feel fine then because I'm sitting down right. But then on the way back, all of a sudden, every hundred yards or so, I have to stop and I have to catch my breath again. And at this point I'm like, okay, something's wrong with me. So I asked my phone. I'm like, what's wrong with me? And my Phone's like, you're having a fucking heart attack, man, And I'm like, no, that's not it, because come on, that doesn't make any I'm forty seven years old, I'm not overweight, I like to exercise fairly regularly. There's no history of heart disease in my family. I didn't have high cholesterol or anything. It's something like that can't be Plus, I'm the main character. It wouldn't make sense for me to have a heart attack. At this point in this ya, I have such bad main character syndrome. This is true.
Speaker 5: The first time I ever heard that term.
Speaker 3: A buddy of mine says, well, you know, I have really bad main character syndrome. And the first thought in my head, the first thing that occurred to me, was well, if anybody here has main character syndrome, So I thought, I can't be a heart attack. So I rephrased the question. I said, what could this be? That isn't a heart attack, which is a really stupid way to phrase the question. But when you phrase it like that, the answer is fairly obvious. It's a panic attack, right. The symptoms are fairly similar. People very often show up at the hospital thinking they're having a heart attack when they're having a panic attack. It didn't occur to me that the corollary of people not showing up at the hospital because they're having a heart attack and thinking there I'm in a panic attack must also be true. But I never had a panic attack before. I'd heard a lot about him that sounded about right, So I said, that's it. It's my inaugural panic attack, and hey, what a city to have it in, right, Las Vegas is like if a panic attack was a city. So so he said, all right, having a heart attack or having a panic attack rather. So I go up to my room and I do the dumbest thing I've ever done in my life.
Speaker 5: I go to sleep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fifty to fifty chance you wake up from that shit. But I did. I did wake up, obviously, and I felt all right, felt all right when I was in the shower, felt at right when I was packing up the room, felt at right on.
Speaker 5: The uber, on the way over to the airport. Get to the airport.
Speaker 3: Now I gotta walk again, and immediately every hundred yard I'm stopping and catching my breath.
Speaker 5: Try to go through airport security.
Speaker 3: Chasing away a heart attack by naming three things I can see in three things I can feel with three things I can hear.
Speaker 5: Didn't work.
Speaker 3: So now I get to the airport and I realized, okay, this it can't be a panic attack. It's been fifteen hours now, right, that doesn't make any sense. But I didn't think that I was having a heart attack at that moment, because and this is I'm gonna admit how stupid. Some of you probably have the impression that I'm a smart person. Because I play one on the podcast. I'm not, and I'm gonna prove that to you right now. At that moment, I thought something was seriously wrong to my with me. But I also thought, well, it's it's not.
Speaker 5: A heart attack.
Speaker 3: And I thought that because I did not know what a heart attack was. I know, that's how so stupid, right. Forty seven year old man says he didn't know what a heart attack was. But surprise, surprise, I think a lot of you probably don't know what a heart attack is either, because I've told this to a lot of people and a lot of people are like, oh shit, that's a heart attack. See. Here's the thing. Everything I knew about a heart attack I learned from TV and movies. And I know you can't trust TV and movies when it comes to medical ship, but I thought they had the idea of what a heart attack was.
Speaker 5: Correct.
Speaker 3: So here's a heart attack in a movie or on TV. At the beginning of the scene, the guy looked, and it's always a guy. The guy looks at his arm, you know, feels at it or whatever otherwise indicates that there's some numbness in it or something like that. And then sometime later he'll grab that arm and he'll go and he'll fall over right. Usually they'll do it a little better than I just did it. They're professional actress, though, And so I always thought that was a heart attack. This that's not a heart attack. That's cardiac arrest. That's a different thing, right, A heart attack can lead to cardiac arrest. But most of them don't. I'm about four out of five of them don't. You can have cardiac arrest without having a heart attack. So I didn't think I'm having a heart attack. I thought I'm having the warning signs that a heart attack is imminent. But I didn't want to have it in Vegas. That'd be a big pain in the ass. We'd already checked out of our hotel room, all right, that airplane flight in a couple hours. I'd have to rebook that fear fear where my wife would stay, and be a whole pain in the ask.
Speaker 5: So I thought I'll fly home and have my heart attack there.
Speaker 3: So I bumped the going to sleep thing down to number two and did the new dumbest thing I'd ever done. I got on an airplane while having a heart attack, flew two thousand miles.
Speaker 5: I get home.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not home, because you know, the airplanes don't drop you off there. I got to Jacksonville, Florida, which is the nearest major airport to my house. Still an hour and twenty minutes or so home, So we drove back to my house.
Speaker 5: I let my wife drive. I'm not that stupid, I guess.
Speaker 3: So we got back home, and then, of course, the very first thing I did was post the episode for the live show that we did in Vegas, because that the patrons were waiting, you know, and you guys are more important than my heart, apparently, So I posted that episode.
Speaker 5: And I turned to my wife. I said, I think I need to.
Speaker 3: Go to the hospital. She says, you think. She had been suggesting as much for a while. By now it's after midnight. So we go to the hospital.
Speaker 5: And here's the thing. If you're paying attention to the calendar. Here, I told you the.
Speaker 3: Show was on October twenty eighth, The fancy hot pockets were on October twenty ninth, the flight home was on October thirtieth.
Speaker 5: It's now after midnight, which means it's Halloween.
Speaker 3: And with all this shit that was going on in my head, I didn't realize that until a fucking vampire walks into my hotel or my hospital room. The orderlies and the nurses were showing up in costume at this point, right for the holiday, and the phlebotomists, right all the phlebotomists, the ones that come and get your blood every fifteen minutes, man all addressed as vampires, which I thought was really really clever. I mentioned it on Facebook and a far smarter than me friend dubbed them nurse for Ratu, such a good line.
Speaker 5: I passed it off as my own. Of course, got the reputation of being clever, which is nice.
Speaker 3: And I should address the social media aspect of this though, because I think that ties it back into the universal atheist experience. And if you have had a heart attack or a stroke, or been in a serious accident and you're the out atheist in your family or in your friend group, you probably already know what I'm talking about. There are certain responses that you've come to expect from Christian people. And because I'm on Facebook and I several thousand followers there and a lot of them don't like me, I had an opportunity to sort of speed run what it's like to be an atheist having a medical emergency. So I got all these responses. I divided them into three categories. Like I said, some of you will recognize them.
Speaker 5: The first, of course, is.
Speaker 3: The i'll pray for you assholes, right and look at look if you think, if you honestly believe that you have the power of God on your side, and you can call upon the magic of the universe to make me healthier or more comfortable, and you're willing to do that for me, that's very sweet of you, right, have at it, do your magic spell. I won't expect real magic anymore than I'll expect real tea when my great niece invites me to a tea party. Right. So, but fine, But as we all know, that's not the only form of I'll pray for you, right, Christians have another form of I'll pray for you that they reserve because they have denied themselves this sweet, sweet release of just telling people to go fuck themselves.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So I ended up with that I'll pray for you quite a bit the sort of i'll pray for you, oh no, wait. But more prominent than that, of course, was the God's vengeance contention.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: The people who said God got sick and tired of me talking all that shit about his kid and decided it was time to do something about it. I was wondered if that was the case, which joke got him? You know, it was the straw that broke the camel's bag. I want to get that one framed, put it up in my office. I was, I said to him, I said, they said that, They're like, that's God's vengeance. I'm like, did he miss Was he aiming for a different because they're saying I'm gonna be fine. Maybe he was aiming for a different ventricle or something, and they're they're like, no, no, if God wanted to kill you, you'd be dead. He's good at that. Maybe you've heard of everyone who's ever died.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was God.
Speaker 3: Okay, he wasn't trying to kill you. He was trying to wake you up. He was trying to send you a message, remind you that you're I'm mortal and he's in charge. Like he picked a really weird way to send that message by having the most common medical malady to.
Speaker 5: Happen of a person my age happened to me.
Speaker 3: As I'm just saying, because he knows the burning bush trick, right, We know that about him. If he had wanted to send me a message, he could have just spoken it through a bush that was burning and not being consumed by the flames.
Speaker 5: I'd have gotten it.
Speaker 3: Twitter trolls wouldn't have had to chime in, we wouldn't have to tie up all these limited medical resources in rural America. I'm not trying to tell the guy how to do his job, but you know, fucking smite better. That was the second category. And then there's this third category of people, of course, and they were a little more prominent at the time, or I guess that's not really true. Anti vaxers certainly aren't more any less prominent. They're running the goddamn health department now, aren't they. But I think they were a little more likely to buddy in on other people's conversations in twenty twenty three. Either that or I've just gotten better at blocking them since then. So when I started talking about my heart attack, I got a bunch of the anti vaxxers chiming in as well, Because, of course, like I said, you know, when you do my job, as that's going to attest you just live your life on social media, right, Like if anybody who follows me on Facebook knows, you know, yes, I talk about atheists, I talk about politics. I also occasionally talk about my cats. Is the other way around? I did, Yeah, yeah, I know they're going to they're the ones who follow me. They're like, no, he talks about his cats and occasionally atheism and politics. So when I you know, when I have a heart attack, I'm talking about it on Facebook immediately, Just like when I got vaccinated for COVID, I was talking about it on social media right away, right, And so a lot of the people who'd seen that chimed in at this point after I had a heart attack with this sort of like you know the well, well, well you get vaccinated for COVID and here a mirror twenty three months.
Speaker 5: Later you have a hearty zone.
Speaker 3: Damn boat for letting Bill Gates put all them micro chips in your RNA. We told you this would happen, motherfucker. You told me I would turn magnetic. You didn't.
Speaker 5: You didn't say not about no heart attack.
Speaker 3: So but then there are those people too, I'm arguing with them on social media. Doctor comes and tells me we put down my phone. He says, you're gonna have another heart attack while you're having a heart attack.
Speaker 5: This is no good. So he says, he says, what I got good news and I got bad news.
Speaker 3: He says. The bad news is you had a heart attack and you it wasn't just a block as it was in your heart. The ventul is still it's got an id something percent occlusion. We have to go in there and put in a set. You're gonna need surgery, he said. The good news is it's minimally invasive surgery. We don't have to open your chest up. You're not gonna get a cool zipper like Matt Dilla Hunty got. He said, we can do a microsurgery where we either go in through your wrist or in through your thigh.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: And so the way they do it is they take Riquel Welch and they put it in a little spaceship.
Speaker 5: He shows you're down in.
Speaker 2: A real time.
Speaker 3: I'm so nervous. Only just I hope the audience is old enough to get that joke. I hope I'm not just telling that one to Ann in April. So no, but they said, but they send a little probe in and they prefer to going through the wrist because that's a little less in basive, it's easier to recover, from my belief, But it's not as quite as big of a vein that they go in through, right, not as much room for rickel the corner. So they want to go in through the risk, but they have to reserve the right to go in through the femeral artery, which means.
Speaker 5: One way or the other, you got to get shaved.
Speaker 3: So the two women come out and whose job it is to do that? And apparently along the way they've learned that the inherently awkward job of shaving a stranger's pubes is made less awkward if you get them laughing first, right, So I get wheeled into surgery by Laurel and Hardy. Yeah, once you laughed at the Fantastic Boys joke, I know I was safe with.
Speaker 5: The Laurel and Hardy reference.
Speaker 3: So, and of course my job, I should point out, my actual job is to yes and two comedians doing shtick. Right, So we podcast our way into surgery. We're cragging each other up, having a great time. They shaving and take me in to the thing. They throw me on the table button they can throw a towel over my dick and say.
Speaker 5: Go, and of course to go.
Speaker 3: The first thing is the anesthesia, right, So they anesthetize me. And it's not the anesthesia that I've had in the past, where like you blink your eyes and they have to suddenly try to convince you that two hours of your life is passed. Right, It's not that kind of anesthesia. It's not something notch unconscious or sorry. It doesn't you fade in and out of consciousness. But through most of my heart surgery, I was awake enough to know what was happening. And it was during that surgery that I had my not quite dying experience, sorry, near death experience was taken. So I'm in surgery and then go in through the wrist, and my wrist starts to bleed uncontrollably, and this is like not uncommon. This that's why they had to shave in the first place, right, So they can go in through the female artery at this point, so it's not like an emergency, but it's the kind of thing that they have to react to right now, because bleeding uncontrollably from the wrist is a bad thing, right, So in order to like sort of alert the rest of the surgical suite as to what was going on. The surgeon said, he's hemorrhaging, and he said it twice with increasing urgency. Right, So he said it like he goes, he's hemorrhaging. He's hemorrhaging. Y'all has some scary shit to hear when you are in heart surgery.
Speaker 5: Right, that's right up there with what's this bit here due?
Speaker 3: And at the moment, right, hemorrhaging just means bleeding, right, But at the moment I couldn't really pull a definition on it. He was just saying one of those things that doctors say in medical dramas right before the patient dies. Right that way, he's hemorrhaging. He's hemorrhaging comes right before clear. And like I said, the anesthesia had me fading in and out. Well, it shows that moment as an out moment. So as he's saying he's hemorrhaging, he's hemorrhaging, my peripheral vision is blacking out and it's all closing into a small tunnel and I cannot chase it away, And so I concluded that I was dying, that this is how I was going to check out of the world, and my brain said, well, shit, I better formulate some final thoughts or there's gonna be a shitty talk. So my brain and I hope you guys aren't holding out for something profound here, because this is it.
Speaker 5: This is all that I thought as I lay.
Speaker 3: There dyeing, I thought, you gotta admit I did pretty good though. That was it. That was it. There was nothing about fear, there was nothing about an afterlife. There was nothing about religion, there was nothing about regret, there was nothing about sadness. Just sort of a B minus. I'd give it a B minus. And then I woke up, of course, and I did so with this newfound liberty that I've carried ever since. You know, people will talk about living on borrow time. I don't feel like I'm living on borrowed time. I've lived through one and a half Trump administrations. The universe at least owes me those six years back, right, So but I do live with this newfound liberty because this all my life. Ever since I was old enough to understand mortality, I've thought about that final moment. What would it be like to die, What would I be thinking about? What would I be afraid? Of what would I be sad about? What would I be regretting for? Certainly I would be sad, Certainly I would be filled with regret. Certainly I'd be filled with fear, fear of sadness, and regret of the substance of death. That's the shit death is made of.
Speaker 5: Isn't it.
Speaker 3: But what if it's not? What if that's just another lie that religion told us. I mean, if you think about it, it's a good life. I mean we're talking. Religion is selling the cure for death. They have a vested interest in us being as afraid of it as possible. But sure like when other people around us die, we feel fear of a world without them, We feel sadness of the person we lost, We feel regret of everything that we could have done. But when we die, what's to fear? And that's how you die like an atheist. How you die like an atheist. You die with the knowledge that you were going to die, with the knowledge every day of your life that you weren't going to get another chance of it in your second life or your reincarnation, that you weren't going to get eternity to make everything right, that this was your one shot. That's how you die? How do you die? Like an ATHEI should die with your eyes open. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not looking forward to it. I don't want to die. I love being alive. I don't want to be alive as long as I possibly can. But loving life and fearing death are not the same thing. At least they don't have to be. Thanks, that's my time, stay here, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Short break. When I come back, you will hear my thirty minute presentation from the big Cincinnati event.
Speaker 3: Hang on, so now I get to introduce my friend. Let me tell you this guy is well, he's one of those guys that you know doesn't need any introduction, like literally doesn't need any introduction. But I have to introduce him anyway. So let me just say. He is an author, he is an activist, and he is the godfather of atheist podcasting Ladies, gentlemen, and other Seth Andrews.
Speaker 2: I have titled my presentation today good people giving bad advice or a bad perspective. My alternative title was all the times our parents were completely full of shit. But this presentation is about more than just our parents. The internet is I mean, everybody right online you see all kinds of platitudes, and I'm going to get back to some of those motivators. You guys see those They fly onto your feed, usually by people whose lives are the most screwed up. They're the ones who are posting the inspirationals. But everybody, everybody, friends, relatives, co workers, total strangers are giving us a perspective that may or may not be really good. And I want to explore the life hacks that are suggested by hacks, starting with this popular saying, never go to bed angry. Why not? Why not? One riff on this one has been circulating online. Don't go to bed angry, stay up late, and plot revenge. But it's almost always framed as a kind of relationship advice, and on a certain level, I get it, if possible, it is better to resolve conflict rather than let it simmer. Fix it so you're not stewing all night. We know what it's like to lie in bed, be in the same space with somebody else when an argument's going on and we want to get that over with. But don't go to bed angry also implies that resolution is always possible in a day if ever, and it puts pressure on people to rush through a problem that might take a lot longer to fix, or it might not even be fixable. Anger it can reflect understandable hurt. It can give us perspective. It can motivate us to pursue something better. In many cases, the right thing is to go to bed angry. By the way, have you ever met a couple that said this with a straight face? They said, ah, we've never had an argument, never had an argument. If someone says this to me, I don't trust those people. They're either lying through their tear or they're aliens. Right, in my conservative upbringing, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that I was going to get married, right, get married, have kids, build a life's a riff on the book of Genesis, be fruitful and multiply. Wasn't said out loud quite in that way, But I mean, I've got five siblings and they all had kids. My parents watched me not have kids, and they're like, oh, come on, it's gonna happen. That time will come. I was married at twenty two. Two years later they still smiled at me. Oh it'll happens. It's gonna happen. One day, three years, five years, seven years, people started to raise an eyebrow. Everybody around almost everybody around me was married with children, and the narrative was that children make family or complete a family. Normal people want kids, and I get the joys of communicating the fulfillment that comes with being a mother or a father. I mean, I get that, and for a lot of folks, parenthood completes them. But for those of us who never wanted that for ourselves, it was just bad advice. And I think what bothers me the most is this attitude of expectation, even judgment when we make a very personal decision whether to or not to have children. Right, and we have all seen people give themselves permission to say some pretty alarming things. What you don't like kids, you're just being selfish. Maybe who will take care of you when you get old? That's a fun one. Well, good advice would be what makes you happy? Does it include children? Wonderful? Does it not wonderful? Right? Whatever? Whatever is you do that? By the way, have you seen this meme and says let's have kids, so instead of doing fun stuff on the weekend, we can go to a children's birthday party where everybody cough more wisdom from the wisdom givers. Find someone you can't live without. The alternate version is find somebody who can't live without you, And this, of course makes us think of her. You guys seen this the overly Attached girlfriend mim. It's been flying around since twenty twelve. The backstory on this real fast is there was a woman named Lena Morris of Denton, Texas, and she was entering a contest with a parody video, and so she did this total thing. She was acting being funny, and to her total shock, a screenshot from the video of this creepy there took off and it went viral and she became famous for a reason she never expected. But if somebody says I can't live without you, we think of the Badfinger song. You guys know the tune I can't live if living is without you. What's the underlying message? If you break up with me, I'm gonna off myself. Why would you want somebody who can't live without you. There's a comedian. His name is Chris Porter. He came out with a special a few years ago called Ugly and Angry, and he said he was told to go out and find somebody who couldn't live without him, And he instantly regretted it because he found that it was like having a puppy that can text you like I want Natalie to be with me. I wanted to be my wife, But I don't want her to do it because she can't live without me. I want her to do it because she could pretty much have anybody she wants, and she picked me. Right. If I got hit by a bus tomorrow, I'd want her to go on and live her life. Isn't that better? Healthier? How about this one? Stay together for the sake of the kids. But how many people called it quits because not staying together actually give their children a better place with better possibilities. How does locking yourself inside a failed relationship benefit kids? What does it teach kids respect your elders? Now, on the surface, I get this in some contexts. I mean, unless something inappropriate is happening. Children under the guardianship of parents and teachers, etc. Have to be mindful to respect adult authority. But once you have grown into your own identity, relationship decisions, does being older automatic earn respect. Everybody in this room can think of somebody who's older. They may be a meddler, an idiot, or an asshole, but they're older. Here's a fun one. Never have sex before marriage. Save yourself, keep yourself pure. This is often linked to the Bible's advice on chastity. Marriage should be honored by all in the marriage bed kept pure, and in my Christian upbringing, it was set over and overweight until you are husband and wife before you have sex. That's terrible advice. Have you seen this one? It's not premarital sex if you have no intention of getting married. This idea was almost unthinkable in my home right. The whole point of dating was prep for marriage. Close contact was not just physically dangerous, it was spiritually dangerous. Here's a gem I saw a while back. I still can't tell if it's a joke or they played it real, leaving room for the Holy spirit. When you dance, my bag to school wouldn't have a prom because of dancing. They wouldn't not allow a prom. They called dancing the vertical expression of a horizontal desire. Massive amounts of energy spent trying to keep sexually activated, hormonal young people away from each other. How did that work out? It did not, because teenagers are monumentally creative, and I know you fall into that category. And the no sex before marriage thing is part of purity culture. Keep yourself pure in the eyes of God and man. Don't defile the temple. Don't be an adulterer in your heart. Here's a toxic little Bible verse out of First Corinthians. But if they cannot exercise self control, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. If you don't think you can control yourself, sign that marriage contract asap. This verse is responsible for so much harm. How much do you know about the world or even yourself when you're seventeen, eighteen, nineteen twenty, how even twenty five? How do you bond yourself to somebody else when you're still getting to know yourself? Was marriage even something we wanted? Did our religion require us to get a parental blessing? I remember asking my first marriage. I remember having to ask permission. We were both adults, but I had to go ask permission. Nah, sign that marriage contract. And then comes the really important question, how do you even know you are emotionally physically sexually compatible if it's a honeymoon surprise you're already locked into a legal contract. That's bad advice. Plus, study after study has shown that abstinence programs don't even freaking work. You cannot tell people cross your legs until they make a lifelong commitment and expect that to work. An article in the Journal of Adolescent Health revealed that abstinence programs can be a huge boundary violation. They might stigmatize a healthy part of being human. They can perpetuate harmful gender stereotypes, and they can make people less safe and less happy. Better advice is get educated, understand what sex is, is what it does, protect yourself and your partner, discuss boundaries, discuss desires, enjoy being a sexual creature, and tell the meddlers and the moralists they can fuck off. Besides, we know that many of those moralists, the teachers and the pastors and the parents and whatnot, we know they have been banging things that are definitely not a Bible. Right, you guys seen this one? Grandma says, all people think about sex these days, sixteen kids. Maybe Grandma was married, Maybe she was married, but it's still funny. Okay, how's this one for reductive? There are one hundred variations on this quote attributed to the Buddha, never tell a lie. Anyone who can tell you the slightest of lies is also capable of any evil. The most famous version of this, of course, comes out of the Old Testament, the ninth commandments, do not bear false witness. Now, my problem with this advice or command is not that we shouldn't be honest and honorable. My problem is is that it's reductive and gives zero context. And here's the scenario. I like, there's a woman in your neighborhood. She shows up at your door. Her husband is a domestic abuser, comes home drunk and violent. She's trying to get away. Please can you help? You open your door? You let her inside, you lock the door. Five minutes later, the raging husband shows up and says, is my wife in your house? In that scenario, in that context, to make him go away, to protect the abused, to make everyone safer. The moral act is to lie your ass off. If he goes away, you bought time and you've reduced the threat in this scenario. Exodus chapter twenty is giving bad advice. Truth telling is necessary, but isn't it also situational? I don't know always whether it's you should tell a fib or a white lie. But I mean, if we're helping someone feel less wounded and a bit more validated, perhaps am I misguiding others? Okay, it's messy. Psychologists have written a lot about the FIBs that we tell to navigate our lives, right, because we don't want to hurt feelings, you know. But I just don't think it's a moral atrocity to say, oh, the cold sore on your lip, I don't even notice it, don't worry about that. And yes, I think we would all lie to the Naziss if they banged on our doors looking for the Jews. I hate this one. Well, we've all heard it. I'm not being mean, I'm just brutally honest. The problem is a lot of people seem a whole lot more interested in the brutal than the honest. Not just being sincere and compassionately direct, but I mean saying some really nasty stuff. I am thinking of somebody right now, and she, in much of her life, is a stellar human being, but she will say the cruelest stuff to someone and act like she's doing them a favor. I saw this one and said Brutal honesty is sweeter than sugar coated lies. And this sounds noble right all It may sound like I'm being hurtful, but I'm really helping you. Yet we all know there's a way to be helpful without being a total dick. Psychology Today did an article a few years ago about brutal honesty, and it says, long after the brutally honest have shared their truth, the recipient continues to feel the pain. Brutally honest people may be unaware of the harm done by their words, or they may be giving themselves an easy out. Practicing truth with compassion is a great way to speak of painful truth to another while respecting their feelings. I kind of like this. I saw someone using this phrase. How about compassionate candor with people we care about? Be direct, be truthful, but never without compassion, never without empathy, never without humanity. We can be honest, we can be direct, but we can also be good. Here's another take. People hate me because I say blunt truths about them. Well, all truth is good to know, but not all truth is good to say, right, which relates to the next inspirational motivators. Sticks and stones may break my bones. But words will never hurt me. Shut up. It's the dumbest saying. Whoever came up with this. Words have incredible power. They were It's like who we are, what we think, how we feel. They show love, they show hate, they can elevate, they can devastate, And I think there's a noble intent no one else can define. You consider the source. Leave those people in the rear view mirror. They're just vowels and consonants, not guns and knives. Right, don't let them hurt you. I get that, But all of us have been wounded in our lives with the worst of words. And I know you're thinking of someone or an instance right now. You're stupid, You're fat, You're ugly, You're worthless, You're an embarrassment. I don't love you. You'll never amount to anything. You're a loser, You're a failure. What about the racial and sexual slurs that have been thrown at marginalized groups? Those dehumanizing terms are weapons with great power. Here's another piece of wisdom that I hate. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, or it fucks you up for their the rest of your life. We can talk about what it means what stronger means. There are lessons about developing fortitude. You know, through adversity we become more adapted to navigate the storms. Sometimes the things that don't kill us don't make us stronger. Sometimes they break us into tiny pieces. The abuse victim dealing with trauma she survived, he survived, but they are dealing with it for decades. Are they stronger? Automatically? The patient in a coma wasn't killed, still breathing. Are they stronger? Maybe you've seen this T shirt what doesn't kill you mutates and tries again? Or if they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. At this point, my dear, I should be able to bench press of viewing more cookie wisdom. Failure is not an option. I like the sentiment don't give up. If you fall, press on, get up, get back on the horse. How many success stories have happened because the dreamer wouldn't give up. There's a call to tenacity that I like, and I never ever want to kill the dream. But where's the context? Why did we fail? Was our goal unrealistic in the first place? Had we not put in the work? Were we blocked by someone or something that was totally out of our control. Was I pursuing something that wasn't even in line with my own abilities? It was a bad fit. What about the time when failure was a good thing? Sometimes failure is just feedback through it. We learn, we grow, we evolve, We figure out when to press forward, to stop, reverse, take a left, take a right. We discover things about ourselves. Sometimes failure is a healthy option, because the alternative is to crash and burn. Life is not a meme. Life is life. Believing in ourselves doesn't mean we might not have a wrong belief about ourselves. Failure might correctly course correct us. Anybody see this demotivator, every dead body on Mount Edverest who's once a highly motivated person? So maybe calm down. This one drives me crazy. Everything happens for a reason. Now, you and I understand cause and effect. We know that things have causes, But reason implies an agenda. Right, there's a reason maker, there's cosmic equilibrium. The universe will align itself. Everything's going to work out the way that it should, all right. Explain that to people dying of cancer, people who lose their houses in a tornado, get shot inside a scar. Those things have causes, But what would a reason be for something so unreasonable? And of course you and I know the idea of agency can give comfort in troubling times. In a chaotic world. We self medicate with this belief that everything in the universe will eventually sort itself out. Everything happens for a reason. But is it true? I saw this one. I think I may have posted it a few days ago. Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes that reason is you're stupid and make bad choices. I enjoyed this one. Your life can't fall apart if you never had it together. Happiness is temporary, death is forever. Have a nice weekend tradition. Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid. If you put an inspirational quote under your selfie, no one can see your narcissism, Signed Gandhi. Kindness is my mission, but fuck off is my wingman. For those who do come to us asking for counsel but not really listening, we have a term for that. We call them the askhole. The person who constantly asks for advice and always does the opposite of what you tell them. Success if you put your mind to it. You can accomplish anything. If you have rich parents, become the reason they install cameras. Fuck off, then keep fucking off, fuck off until you come up to a gate with a sign saying you can't fuck off past here. Climb over the gate, Dream the impossible dream, and keep fucking off forever you are enough. We don't need any more of you. Sorry. And of course, for any treki in the room, you'll get this one good advice. Please do not bang for machines. This one is especially prescient. Never get involved in a land war in Asia. This is actually true. Ninety of being married is just shouting what from other rooms. More family wisdom here. This was posted a few days ago. Blood is thicker than water, but cheese dip is thicker than blood, so technically caso is more important than family. If your cup is only half full, you probably need a different braw. Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go. We found the I in tea m It is hidden in the a hole. Drinking a large amount of water every day helps you avoid other people's drama because you're too busy. P stay hydrated. Nothing can stop you because you're a magic skeleton packed with meat and animated with electricity and imagination. You have a cave in You're face, full of sharp bones, and five tentacles at the end of each arm. You can do anything. Magic skeleton. Ultimately, I think we all want to receive wisdom. We all want to be receptive to advice, we all want to be inspired. But bullshit is bullshit, and we have to be ready for that, even if we can't smell the bullshit right away. So let's stay skeptical. Let's try and then let's fail and try again. Let's achieve. Let's go forward and then backward, then sideways and learn and grow and build some bridges and burn some other bridges. Let's draw the lines and the circles and the exes and the boundaries, and let's remember there is a difference, a big difference between psychology and pop psychology. Life is not lived in memes, And if someone says it is, you can give them some meme wisdom of your own, and you can say, you know, A good place to put inspirational quotes is up your ass. Thank you very much for.
Speaker 3: Letting me talk to you.
Speaker 2: Who you go?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Before we take a fifteen minute break, I'm going to bring Loa back on stage, and I want us to share just a little piece of our lives with you if I may, And I'm going to alternate. No, I'm going to have you read your own hate mail, which is tad with your name, and I will read mine. Now you have received crazy stuff in your inbox. I'm sure your social media feeds. This is not exclusive to activists, but I will say we get a higher volume of it, and the crazy level may be a little bit more amplified. So, ladies and gentlemen, for your approval, we would like to share with you weird comments and hate mail, and I will start with this one. Robert said, you like other athirst are damn Noah, Yeah, this one's great one.
Speaker 3: It's you are such an f chowerd And I would think that's fucking but as you can see, every time he shows up with it, there are too many asterisks. I have no idea what he's going for. You are such an eving coward. Have you even looked at the evidence of the shroud of turn? Because if you had the courage to look at it objectively, you would not continue to deny the.
Speaker 5: Power and truth in Christ.
Speaker 3: But you fing atheists have to hide from the evidence, just like you hide from the light. There has been real science done on it, and you could find it if only you just had the courage to look. F you.
Speaker 2: Followed by scripture.
Speaker 6: Yes, I.
Speaker 3: Looked him up there all about how I'm gonna get beat up by the army of Jesus. Except for John three sixteen.
Speaker 2: Of course, I had a couple. Daniel said, a thinking atheist is an oxymoron, You dumb kunt and then blaize use the F slur. Now, it is remarkable how many people who and I know that a great great many religious people are not these people. They're not filled with hate and bigotry and toxicity. So I want to be fair. But there are also a great many people who are waving the God banner, waving their Bibles and telling us we're all going to Hell, who lead with unbelievable racial sexual slurs. The women in this movement know exactly what I am talking about, and I find that interesting.
Speaker 3: Noah, Yeah, so this guy's probably a little bit too long to read the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The sound shame of it is is that there's actually like eleven more paragraphs of this, but about four paragraphs from the end, he gives up on the emojis. He's like, that's a lot of work.
Speaker 2: But he's warning you about nuclear war with the radioactives, sign global markets, a treaty with Israel. The witnesses are coming forward mass apostasy. I guess that's everybody in this room.
Speaker 3: Here's one.
Speaker 2: If Seth was placed in a position of authority over the masses, our society would grow to resemble North Korea jacked up on steroids. I don't give a flying fuck how off topic I am either. I'm telling you Seth is a certified fucking psychopath and is not the type of creep you would want around your children. Wow.
Speaker 3: I want to point out this is actually a comment on one of Seth's video hosts, Noah looks like a murderer from Silence of the Lambs, which is another way of saying no, it looks like a movie star until I heard him speak creepy, look great, intelligent conversation. Thanks, I guess.
Speaker 2: Brutally honest. No, brutally honest.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go ahead and read this because it speaks to something that I will occasionally hear from someone A lot of things that the same here is correct. Promise is Seth took money in order to speak at Christian rallies. He would take their money and come to their rallies and talk in front of massive groups of Christians. Seth would literally take their money and sell everyone out just to get their money. I have no respect for Seth because if you have to take someone's money in order to speak at a rally, then you are a trader. And then I'll spare the rest of it. Essentially, he's saying now that I'm on the other side of religion. If I do anything or profit, if I do anything to make a living full time as an activist, I am also a poser. I am a fucking liar. I go to Christian Riley's I guess rallies, takes their money and speaks in front of tons of Christian crowds. After he takes their money. He also uses the money bag emoji, which I wasn't convinced until I did see the money bag emoji. And now he is absolutely credible and I want to thank him for his unsolicited Do you want to point illusions?
Speaker 3: Do you want to point out that he had too many asterisks? After his f two might be the same guy. That is all one sentence. That's creepy at shit. All right, So this is a great one. I love this so much. I got this from Mohammed. The English isn't great. He's just giving me a bunch of questions, because you know how Christians think we owe them answers to scientific questions. I could google.
Speaker 5: I won't give you all of them, but it's like a when.
Speaker 3: How and in what form heavens and the earth and what is between them was created, How a solar system was set, how climates were set. My favorite is when we asked about milk, how production of milk was developed. There's leading actation to him, mother pucker all the winds.
Speaker 2: Jim sent the love of Jesus when he said, fuck you, asshole. God will judge you. And I happily included his full name and his photo because he made it public in the first place. Okay, I sent this reply to Jim after he said fuck you asshole, God will judge you. I said, quick note Jim, with its first recorded use linked to the fourteenth century. Asshole is one word, a compound noun formulated as a single lexical unit, whether referring to either the anatomical feature of a body or an undesirable person. The British often replaced the first s with an R, producing an insult, which has arguably more flair. Urse whole arse is derived from the Proto Germanic word arsaws, which itself is drawn from the Indo European ores, meaning buttocks. In the fourteen hundreds, Old English referred to an arsehol, with the whool defined as an orifice in the body, like a nostril or ear canal. As such, in the context of your threat, if I'm not the actual rectal terminus of the large intestine, but m instead the negative space within it, how might the whole itself be judged? Just trying to prepare myself. Thanks for sharing Jesus's love, no illusions? Ah oh yeah, no, this guy was great.
Speaker 3: I have heard your show and have heard you speak against the Lord God.
Speaker 2: Will not be mocked on Noa's show.
Speaker 3: Yeah yes, he well, good luck with that.
Speaker 2: You will know hell on.
Speaker 3: Earth for your blasphemies upon the return of Christ. If not before, look over your shoulder, heathen, for the righteous may walk behind you. I will not debase myself to use the language you would have used in this situation. Dude makes a death threat and then he's like, but I don't want to be rude about this, but know that God will have the last laugh, as will I. One are the others going to have the last laugh? I mean you're not both. I guess maybe you could both laugh together.
Speaker 2: No, not a weird insult. I mean, how many times have people said the equivalent You'd just wait till you're dead and you'll see that way.
Speaker 3: His name isn't Miles. That's like Latin for Army of Christ or something.
Speaker 2: I recently did an event with Guts It Given and Forrest Valcai, and in advance of that, someone sent me this men A guy named Mark said, I'd noticed recently that both you and your friend Forrest have very high forehid Buffalo Bill and Lurch on stage with you today. This was an invitation I got to debate Can't Hoven Oh God? And I saved the email. Hello, Seth. I followed your work on The Thinking Atheist and appreciate your respectful and thoughtful approach to discussions on faith and skepticism. Can't Hoven has expressed interest in a debate on evolution and creationism. We would be honored if you would consider participating in this civil dialogue aimed at informing a broad audience. Please let me know if you'd be open to learning more. And I stared at the email for about ten minutes and I clicked reply, and I said, good morning. I would rather put a campfire out with my face in christ Seth andrews, Okay, everybody, then, I think it might make you smile as well. And I describe everything pretty well now when we start the Q and A. The first questioner did not have a mic on, and so I think you can hear what he says. It's kind of sketchy audio, but every questioner after that sounds a whole lot better. So stick with me after the first part of that first question, and then after that everything becomes much more clear. We continue next. Okay, let's draw a number and you tell me what you've got. Everyone pull your tickets out and be ready.
Speaker 3: All right, we got number of two.
Speaker 2: O, two, three, five, six two, What is the one? Well, we have the Poop and Learn book. You'll come on up here real fast. We will deliver it. Do you want to sign that? Let's let's let's let's make it official. I mean, why not, We'll just sign Uh, we'll sign the front here for you. I should sign Matt de la Hunt's name.
Speaker 3: This is by Willie Wiper. By the way, I notice that at least.
Speaker 2: Uh the prize first one to raise their hand. Anyone here have a cross tattoo? Come on, you were first. You don't have to show it.
Speaker 3: You don't.
Speaker 2: You don't have to show it, but I will show you what you've won. Congratulations. You got a couple of coins that you can keep handy. They are, in fact your last fucks, so you can give those away. Here you can have my last fuck. Congratulations, big hand for our recipients. Okay, give me your number, John, Okay?
Speaker 3: Uh see two three five two?
Speaker 2: What's up with the front row?
Speaker 3: I need to do a better orange juice?
Speaker 2: What has he won? A Bob Ross toaster which imprints the face of Bob Ross on your morning toast? Congratulations? Do you want? Do you want the box sign?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I've decided Bob Ross.
Speaker 2: Awesome.
Speaker 3: We'll give you a.
Speaker 2: Happy little signature next to a happy little tree and a happy little bird. Anybody else obsessed with old Bob Ross shows? I watched them all the time, the man who discovered as Mr right there. Yes, thank you guys, Thank you. A couple more before we do some Q and A with you guys. Let's draw another one not the front row.
Speaker 7: Yeah all right, we're.
Speaker 2: Working our way to the back wall. What's your name, Dave? You have one a jesusas mug. Now, this mug has a beard in Jesus. But when you pour hot tea or coffee into it, his beard magically disappears. It is a genuine praise Jesus, miracle and congratulations.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, thank you, you.
Speaker 4: Bet, thanks for coming up.
Speaker 2: Let me take a look and see what if I have one more here? Cute up I do. Let's do another? Uh, let's do another number.
Speaker 6: Eight?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, all right, shout it out. What's your first name? Alice? Alice? You know when sin, when sin has covered you, you need to be washed with Jesus. So you've got some Jesus so to wash away those sins. Congratulations, Alice, I'm so glad you came up. All right, No one I'm sure would agree with me. We're not Yoda. We don't have a ton of great wisdom. We do a lot of this, but I'm more interested in interaction. So we do have a roving microphone. If anyone has a comment or question, let's engage each other. Let's talk about the world that we live in and anything that's on your mind. Does anybody want to start? Anybody have any thoughts? I see a gentleman here in the center of the back section with his hand in the air. This is you. Guys are awesome, and that's maybe laugh my family laugh forever.
Speaker 3: You very awesome.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 8: If you were to ask right now, I know the subject at the moment that AI has been about your fout a year now. I work with it constantly working things along those lines. If you were asked a GPT five point six that came out of est today, vote God exists or not, and give you a hard answer on that, playing all the evidence.
Speaker 2: Empirical, that's philosophical and everything, guess what it would come back with.
Speaker 8: It comes out with a percentage depending on the of the prompt, it comes about sixty to eighty percent as.
Speaker 3: That God does not exist.
Speaker 5: It seems low.
Speaker 2: By questions. You know, there's what gold is a had in this.
Speaker 8: I mean the best advocates and you boil all that all that asking everything you asked a r AI right now, my grandma can ask right now, I cannot be answered right answered.
Speaker 2: So is it an advocate or is it dangerous? Or what are your off on the while he answers, I need to look for a second, Mike, real fast, Go ahead, brother, sure.
Speaker 3: So my concern on that is that if you don't get the answer you want from chat GPT, you'll go to different AI. They're already crafting AI specifically designed to lie to you about this issue or that. Right so, Elon Musk has decided to make his AI lie to you about racism. We covered a story recently on The Scathing Atheist that was a where somebody was making an AI that was designed to lie to you about Jesus. So my fear is that we are going to tend towards whatever gives us the answers we want, rather than whatever gives us the answers that are correct.
Speaker 5: And of course we're going to do that now with the em burder of.
Speaker 3: AI. Right so, people will say, you know, it's not just that my priest told me this, It's that the all knowing AI told me the thing it was programmed to tell me is.
Speaker 2: The thing that gets me is the people who were having affairs with their chatbot. They're leaving their spouses and going in these weird relationships with a chat baw, with chat GPT or whatever. There have been news reports there's one guy in his marriage is on the rocks. His wife is a strange because he disappears into some other parts of his life to talk to a non human. Does that speak to our desire for connection? But then we've got it feeding it back to us what we may want to hear, and then we were in the spheres of disinformation. It's funny, the more connected our world is, the more disconnected our world seems to be. I don't know, you know, I use AI to like clean up images, and I've used it. I used it on my taxes, you know. I mean I would have spent all day doing a P and L and trying to put all the numbers together, and I was able to feed it into AI and it was able to do the calculation in a way that made my life easier. But I also we've talked about this on the show. I'm fully aware of two major things. One is I know that it's stealing from creators and the people who are you know, I used to think technology would be doing menial work so we could make art, and instead technologies making art so we get fired from the menial job and have no work. You know, it's weird. I am a little concerned about the power issue. But I also think that there are whole religions already sprouting up around Ai. There are people who are worshiping at the churches of Ai in a sense, and that freaks me out, Like will we will worship almost anything? Yeah, well almost anything?
Speaker 3: You know, you're talking about people having romantic relationships with AI. I recently read an excellent book called The Yahoo Boys about Nigerian romance scammers, and he made the point and I thought was really interesting that chat GPT in so many ways is just a Nigerian romance scammer.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It's something that'll tell you exactly what you want to hear, and it'll be all the as attentive as you want it to be. You just have to keep feeding it money, right, And that's one of the interesting Like chat GPT is putting.
Speaker 5: That scam out of business, So that's the one.
Speaker 3: You know, it's idiots drinking all our water, taking all our jobs. But Graham's a little bit safer from thinking that she's about to marry Keanu Reeves.
Speaker 5: So there's also that.
Speaker 2: Anybody else. I see a gentleman in the back here, and then I see someone here. We'll come back to you in just a moment.
Speaker 3: Love the shirt.
Speaker 2: Oh he's got a wait? Is this king atheist?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Nice? Okay, So I'm gonna go with the lighter question. I suspect.
Speaker 9: So I'm going to grant each of you the power to keep Donald Trump forever having been considered a viable candidate for president, let alone being elected. But to do it, you have to wipe either the Super Nintendo or the Sagais from history that never existed? Which one and why? I'm really curious what you think though, of Seth You'll.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure I understand the question. Rephrase it, use small words, use your hands, breaks yourself.
Speaker 9: So Donald Trump bad? You could stop him, like John Connor. Yes, But to do that, you have to either wipe out the Sega Genesis so it never went to market, or the Super Nintendo so it never went to market. That's the side effect of stopping Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: I'd nick them both and used Calliko vision.
Speaker 8: But that's just men.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, So I'm gonna stand I'm gonna I'm gonna sit here and pretend that I'm not appalled that he just talked about getting rid of two generation four consoles in favor of a generation two consoles. Doesn't even make sensive, Seth. But yeah, no, obviously you get rid of the Sega Genesis. I mean, come on, say it was super Nintendo gave us so many classic games. Second Genesis just had really good marketing.
Speaker 2: Anybody here having in television, anybody remembering television back in.
Speaker 3: The day, I'm same, same, yeah, yeah, spend a whole lot of money on their marketing.
Speaker 2: There was someone over here with their hand up. Let's go there. Next. I've got John. He has big mike and a small mic. The small one is for our video camera, so I can have that. So if he holds two close to your face, he's not insane, he's practical. He is the godless engineer. Go ahead, Seth. I've been listening to you for a while, but I don't really know you.
Speaker 3: Noah, so I don't know you either.
Speaker 5: It's fine, but this has been.
Speaker 2: Bugging me for a while. Your name, no illusions, And I just was threeus. If it's a play on words, if that's your real name.
Speaker 3: That's it would be crazy if that was my name, and I did this job on it.
Speaker 5: So it's no, it's a it's a fake name.
Speaker 3: In the heart part about coming up with a fake name is that I had to come up with a fake name that would work for my wife as well.
Speaker 5: So I'm no illusions.
Speaker 3: She's loosened delusions son.
Speaker 2: And if there's somebody more epic, there's anybody more epic than Noah, it's loosened to she is a fool very leader.
Speaker 3: Who is next?
Speaker 2: And I'm going to ramble on for just a second. Oh, we have someone here on the corner. I will say that to be a partner of an activist, those people deserve a very special kind of award. Even when you're not activisting, you're thinking about activisting, and if all of a sudden you realized you weren't thinking about activisting, then you feel guilty and horrible for not activisting, and so you go back and it's twenty four to seven. It's life. Balance is hard for activists, and I think many of the people in this room, even if you're not on YouTuber podcasting. You're doing high profile stuff in your own circle. You have an activist nature. You want change the world, right, even if it's just in your circle, You want to change things. That's an activist nature, and burnout's a problem for us. Life balance is a challenge for us. And I'm sure many of you were nodding your heads at me saying, yeah, I know exactly what that's like. So yes, we do see you go ahead.
Speaker 10: So I just want to say it's cool that you guys came to this specific place because, very long story short, I was in a catastrophic thing a couple of years ago, and I got reconnected to some family that I hadn't talked to in a long time, and I got invited to a production here that was a ballet, and I thought, innocent enough, that's cool, some relatives I haven't seen in a long time. But it was all for these homeschooled like Catholic cult and I look a little different. So it was just a really interesting experience. But it was here in this exact room a year ago, like Christmas time or something, So I just thought you guys might think that was cool.
Speaker 2: No, we came to realign the cheap Yeah. Right, so the chakras are now imbalanced.
Speaker 3: Well not yet. We have to do a little ballet. So when you first said that, I was just I was sure you're gonna tell me it was one of that fool on Gong show or something like that. Maybe even worse.
Speaker 2: We have somebody up there. Okay, I'm looking into the spotlight. Forgive me. Go ahead, speak nice and loud for us.
Speaker 11: Can you hear me?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: But that was your question. I'm sorry, Seth.
Speaker 11: I have a problem with my in laws at times overstepping their boundaries on religion.
Speaker 2: How do you handle that?
Speaker 11: Like we try to keep we try to keep the boundaries there and let them know, no religion at the table, but it doesn't work and they're very like pushback on it.
Speaker 5: So how do you deal with that?
Speaker 2: Did I say that I'm not a life coach, psychologist or a qualified counselor did I say that a few minutes ago? I have opinions. It's amazing the permission that blood relatives give themselves to do and say things that we would never allow from anybody else. And I don't want to get too heavy, but I remember when I was deconstructing, and everybody in my hardcore evangelical family went into panic mode. Prodigal has to be brought home. He's going to go to hell. Mom says, you're embarrassing the family, you're tarnishing the family name. Blah blah blah. And it was just a barrage, and they were crafty. One day would be a text that talked about a verse or this, or a correction in the Lord, or the next day it would be a link to a sermon video, or she would give me a book, or she would threaten me with hell or Dad. You know, my father said, there can be no fellowship with an unbeliever. Nothing else can be enjoyed until we solved the eternal problem. And I remember they would say and do the worst stuff thinking and they were doing it in love. And I remember abiding that in my own life for the longest time, under the excuse, well, they're your parents and you need to respect your elders. And I finally came to a point in my own life when I thought, I'm not doing any of this to them. I'm not pounding on their door, I'm not telling them to change the way they live. I'm not saying live your life my way. This is a total double standard. And so I set a boundary that was a harder line. I got so tired of the constant sermonizing and the guilt and the shame and the boundary crossing that I said, all right, look, first of all, do you believe that Jesus can do anything? Yes? Do you believe God answers prayer? Yes? Have you prayed for me to return to Jesus. Yes, you're off the hook. You have done your pardon. So now let God do what God does. And this journey is going to be between me and God. If God reveals himself, I promise I will be open to it. But this conversation no longer includes you. That never works. It never works, but it's a tool to essentially show them how little they believe in the power of prayer. And the second thing is, if you do or say this kind of thing again against my wishes, you were going to force my hand to draw a hard line and I will have to remove you from my circle. Now that was a hard decision I made for me. I can't tell you when and where to draw that line, because that's a cost benefit that only you can make access to you, access to your children, access to your life. How much are you're willing to endure or abide? But I'll tell you, the problem that is happening is not your fault. It's theirs. And I think respect starts with self respect. And if they start to really push in and say toxic and intrusive things, especially when the kids are in play, my first thought is if they're disrespecting your boundary, you would have every right to step back and say, okay, well, I'm going to focus on the family that does act with respect, courtesy, empathy and all of that and isn't trying to make me live my life their way. It's a tough answer for me because I think everybody's so complicated. Everybody's answer is going to be different. Does that remotely help you? I just think at some point, if it gets too intense, explain to them here is the line. I mean, here is exactly what it is, so you know what it is and you can't miss it. And then if they cross it and you decide I'm gonna have to withdraw, that is not your fault. They forced your hand because respect starts with self respect, and boundaries are important in our personal lives. I'll bet there are people in this room we've had to draw hard boundaries with loved ones and it hurt, and you felt guilty and you thought, am I doing the right thing? And blah blah blah, And if we just have one more conversation, maybe I can change their minds and maybe they'll leave me alone. Maybe a few years the past, we'll try again. It blows up in your face. It's brutal. Families are tough, and I don't have the answer. If I did have the answer, i'd be talking to my mother. But unfortunately, you know, we're now contact and it's because religion has divided us in that way. I don't know no idea of any wisdom. On top of that, no, I will say, okay, well thanks.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I wouldn't call anything that I say wisdom. But my what worked with my dad He liked to bring up religion constantly, and I don't think for him it was just more of a jib, you know. It was more of a like i'm gonna get you, I'm gonna get you kind of thing. And so what I told him is like, all right, I'm keeping score every time you bring up God You've given me permission to just toss an atheist argument out at you whenever I feel like it, right, and so I would keep I would tell him at the end of being like, hey, I've got four now, and then I just, you know, throw something out there, like, you know, I throw the problem of evil out when we're having a dinner conversation.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I still have three. And eventually.
Speaker 3: He realized that I argue about this ship for a living and he doesn't.
Speaker 2: So Statistically, the two demographics who know the Bible the best are Jews. And if you want to know the history and the scripture of Christianity in this country especially, you usually don't talk to a Christian. I find that fascinating. I got to share an anecdote real fast, and I've told it a few times. But there may be some of the room that might benefit, you might benefit I don't know, but we've got a minute, and I think it's I think it's relevant. So everybody else in my family hardcore religious. My mother, my father is still alive, and my parents are theologian level believers. They taught university level theology. My mother wrote a Greek New Testament study guide. They met at Oral Roberts University. Oral Roberts, the scam evangelist, tent revival healer, dude, you know. And they were hardcore, right, And that was my upbringing. That's how intense it was, So you can imagine how intense my impostasy was. And so I cousin named Sue who lived out of town. She lived in Chicago, and she was going to be in town. And so my sister called and said, Hey, cousin, Sue's going to be in town. We're having dinner at our house. And it's been, you know, a long time since you've seen her. Would you like to come over and have dinner? And I said okay, So I nervously went and we all sat around the table for dinner. So it's Sue and her husband, Mark, and then there's my parents and all my siblings and everybody's all around here, and Sue starts to catch up. Now I haven't seen Sue in fifteen years. So Sue's asking everybody, so what do you do? Well? I work for here, I work for this. Oh yeah, we go to church just down the road. We got back from a mission trip. Oh that's interesting. How about you? What do you do, Oh, what do you do? Now? I'm sitting here going fuck, because I know it's going to come around to me, and I'm going to have to decide how to respond with all of the people in the room, especially my totally humiliated mother and father who've been sending me sermons and threats and everything else. So finally it comes to around to me, and she said, so, Seth, what is it that you do? And I said, oh, I'm a I'm a video producer and podcaster, and I do a lot of audio video work. Yeah, that's what I do anyway. And then I kind of handhandedly, kind of shifted over and I said, you know, and they do a lot of you know, I don't know, I forgot exactly how I did it, but I could tell Sue was not satisfied with my inside. So, Sue, Seth, I'm going to come back to you. But you audio video? Are you podcasting?
Speaker 11: Really?
Speaker 2: What do you podcast about? Well? We talked in depth about religious issues, and I could tell she wasn't satisfied with that. And in that moment, I had an epiphany. Lightning freaking struck me and it almost made me mad. I thought everybody else at this table is getting without a pause. They're getting to be their authentic selves. I'm the one sitting on my hands trying to My job is not to keep them comfortable. I'm not ashamed of what I do. This is my authentic self. So she asked me again, we'll tell me more about what you do. And I said, I host the most popular atheist podcast in the world. And I waited, Mom and Dad. I could see him sink a little bit. Nobody freaked, nobody blew up. It didn't go as south like I thought it might, and it could have all right, but it was liberating. Now here's the interesting part. They go back to Chicago and I get an email from Sue and she said, you know it's interesting, but Mark's been on kind of a journey out of the Catholic church. He's been struggling with some stuff and had some questions. And I bought him your book and could I give him your email so you guys could have a conversation. Hell, yes, you can have my email. You never know, you never know who's watching, you never know who's doubting, you never know who's deconstructing, you never know who's on a journey. And me being my authentic self provided a point of connection which might help him better be his authentic self. And that's something that I think we all need to remember. Not everybody can go public, not everybody can be forward. We're playing chess, not checkers. I get it, you're not a coward if you're playing the long game and you're being more silent. But I will say, if you can say something, you never know. You never know what sibling, what parent, what child, what neighbor, what friend, what coworker is going through something internally and they find out that you are on that journey and they reach out, and I think, honestly, it's shit like that that changes the world. Anyway. Thank you for letting me tell that story. So anybody else want to talk about anything? Oh now, we're cooking right here, right here on the front row. Let's do this when first, By the way, as they travel, thanks to Casey and John for their unbelievable help. Chrissy Helton, you are an angel on earth. All the prizes we're giving away and the programs you're holding in your hand, and so much of this stuff. She has helped me navigate. She has been the glue. And I tell you, whatever she's paying her. They're not paying her anything. But if I could, I would pay her more. Okay, go ahead, go ahead, Just making sure I'm holding at the right distance.
Speaker 12: I know more about Noah than Seth, and that's not a dig I just haven't had the time to listen to a lot of it Noah. A while back, you had the Dans on the God of Movies for Mormon Month, Dan McClellan, and I can't remember the other Dan's last name, given that Dan McClellan is a professed theist. He believes in a God, but he's separated from the Mormon Church pretty thoroughly.
Speaker 2: They all dis avow him because he writes books that pissed him off to no end.
Speaker 12: But one of the cliches in the atheist community is, if you want to be an atheist, read the Bible. And a lot of Dan's books and a lot of his videos are about debunking all the theocratic nonsense that the Christians put out in this country, specifically all the stuff that get wrong. Given that he's sort of taking down Christianity from the other side. Meanwhile, we're on the outside and we're just chucking the biggest stones we can at him.
Speaker 5: But is there sort of a conflict of interest in.
Speaker 2: Being on the same side with someone liked it?
Speaker 3: I love Dan.
Speaker 12: I have his book The Bible, said, so, it's a fantastic book. And I bought it from my young nephew who had questions about the Bible, and I was just like, listen, I don't have the time of the patients, and you don't know how to read the Bible yet because it's got a lot of vows and these, and you're still on whatever Nancy Drew is now. So I said, you read this book, and then if you have any more questions and you still want to go to church in our small town, then you can ask me more questions, and I can tell you what I've done for the past twenty years of being an atheist. But is there a conflict of interests being on the same side as someone like Dan McClellan, because he's technically arguing for the side of them. He's like, I believe there is a God or a creator, however vague they feel like getting at that time of day. But they'll say I believe there isn't but religion is being used wrongly. Noah, in your book, you say, religion isn't used wrong, religion is wrong.
Speaker 5: Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 3: So before we had Dan on the show, I did a lot of for lack of a better term, soul surging about promoting somebody you know on the show that that is is a believer and argue in favor of the Bible. And I think he softens it, right, so he makes it a little bit more palatable to progressive people, which is ultimately, I think, against our goals. Right. So I did a Dio tribe a long time ago about the progressive Christian who thinks that they can move Christianity beyond it's big a try or beyond whatever is holding it back.
Speaker 5: And I likened that to picking up the anchor and moving it a little bit further.
Speaker 3: But you're still anchored, right, You're still anchored to this old book that is, you know, morally reprehensible and this religion that you know, people seem to think that there's some way of doing it that will be beneficial to the world, but nobody's figured that out in two thousand years, right, So yeah, I get where you're where you're coming from. And ultimately what I've the way I justified it in my own mind is that I know that Dan has a pretty substantial audience, and my hope is that people who are listening to Dan explain the Bible who are not yet atheists are really primed for it. So I want to, you know, wanted to try to help pull some more of their audience in towards us. But yes, definitely always conflicted about that aspect.
Speaker 2: Though it is a little frustrating to see, and I appreciate their values, but we're seeing a lot of this like James Tallerico down in Texas, who's like, my Jesus would never judge gay people, and my Jesus would never send anybody to hell, and my Jesus is the God of love. And I appreciate the sentiment behind it. Pastor or he's a minister, I think John Pavlobitt. He continues to talk about how Jesus never ever condemned gay people, and I appreciate the sentiment. But have you read your Old and New Testament, right, I mean I had. I'm literally this chapter in verse about stone to death and they will not achieve heaven and they're an abomination and blah blah blah. And so I find that they've made a God almost in their own image. And it's hard to know what to do because you appreciate the humanism behind their o motive. But I mean, are are they are not really selling biblical Christianity, are they?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, interestingly enough so the book that you mentioned the Bible says, So Dan tackles that question, and you know, does the Bible condemn gay people? And it comes very forcefully on the side that yes, it absolutely does. So he is defending a form of Christianity that, you know, steps far enough away from the Bible to I guess ignore that or or forgive that or but there's a point where you're ste If you're stepping away from the foundational documentation of your religion, then what are you stepping into, right if not atheism? So he's at least honest about what the Bible says in that sense, But I've never heard him address the Well, then how do you justify using this book as the foundation of your religion concept.
Speaker 2: Joyce Smeier, the evangelist, is coming to my town next month. Joyce Smyer, who has made millions of dollars as an evangelist. And I'm not going to do it, but I am. I fantasize about standing in front of the parking lot where people are pulling in with the placard reading two Timothy that says, I do not permit a woman to teach or have authority over a man. She must be silent, Joyce Meyer, must be silent in the churches. I fantasize about it, Joyce Meier. Protest. Let's see was there anybody else I've done one on the front I want to do. Let's do this. Where are you John, Let's do this, gentleman in blue, and then we'll do the the person behind.
Speaker 6: All right, So you guys came here for the arc encounter protest much appreciated. While you're in town, I think either of you will make a pilgrim. Pilgrim a little ways up north to see what's become of Big Butter Jesus. What you know about Big Butter Jesus.
Speaker 2: No, he's wait wait, wait, what is what?
Speaker 5: To go up to Interstate seventy five?
Speaker 3: What maybe thirty ish miles up north?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the Solid Rock Church.
Speaker 6: They have a sixty foot tall Jesus statue standing by the side of a lake, reaching out to hug the passers by the original one burned down after it was struck by lightning.
Speaker 2: I remember that, I remember that, Yeah, yeah, that was touchdown Jesus's called a touchdown Jesus.
Speaker 6: Touchdown Jesus or big butter Jesus. Now you think he's zombie Jesus, five dollars foot long Jesus. Hugby Jesus.
Speaker 3: You go, He's a lord of many names. We recently talked about that on the show, and I didn't realize we were that.
Speaker 2: Close to it.
Speaker 6: You got to see it while you're here.
Speaker 2: The Lord works in mysterious Well, there was a young was there a young lady behind you? And then I promise I'll come back to use it.
Speaker 13: I think that any belief could be interpreted by like, depending on your perspective coming at it. I think any belief could be or lack thereof could be interpreted as a product of indoctrination.
Speaker 2: So how do you how do you.
Speaker 13: To individually perceive things in a way that like the difference between incorrect information and correct information? How do you distinguish between the two, And how do you think that we as a society could distinguish between the two as people who are amateurs and not like professionals on certain topics, how could we maybe understand what is true and what is.
Speaker 3: Untrue, explain epistemology. So that's what science is, right, Sciences is the method by which we determine that which is true. So we can't be experts on all the sciences, all the sciences. Rather, so the best we can do is, you know, unless we want to develop our own expertise, is to trust in the consensus of scientists. Right And luckily, for almost every question that we have, there is a consensus among scientists. And for those ones where we don't have an answer or where we don't have a consensus, it's okay to not know too. But when it comes to just you know, like how do you know that you're following the right beliefs versus being indoctrinated into a set of beliefs, I think it's far easier for Seth and I to make that determination because nobody, no organization, no institution was trying to push us into this in this direction right. In fact, they were pushing us quite the opposite direction. So you know, it's it's hard to be indoctrinated, you know, And if there's not an doctor Nader, but I think, you know proper pistemology and science that it works.
Speaker 2: You know the difference I think too between I was taught what to think, I wasn't ever trained how to think right and the training of the mind to think right. Science is not a book with a bunch of facts. Science is a process. We can all be scientists. And I remember I didn't I knew of Carl Sagan, but I didn't really fall in love with the voice of Sagan the long after he had died, and I remember thinking, whoa, you know science? We were all doing science every day to some degree. We have this imperfect solution of the experts peer reviewing the experts and then they have to course correct and whatnot. But I will say that I have a whole new respect for experts in their field, genuine trained scientists, reputable, credible scientist in an era when our Department of Education has never one day taught in a classroom and ran a world wrestling federation. When the guy running the department at Homeland Security is a plumber, right, I mean we are. When the guy running the health department has no health credentials whatsoever.
Speaker 5: He's a negative health predict. Swings in suit.
Speaker 2: There's a war on expertise, and I have become I just saw that Neil Schubman was just elected to head up the National Academy of Sciences, and I was cheering at my computer. But you know, it's imperfect, because people are imperfect. But I think the training of the mind, learning to watch scientists who are checking each other, who watches the watchers. It's a far from perfect system, but it's sure a lot better than you know, going out and having some homeopath on TikTok tell us to sit on the floor and each shark cartilage and align our energy meridians, you know, with no qualifications whatsoever. I don't know if that remotely answers your question. I want to do there? Did you have a question. I promise I would come back to you before we moved on. I want to be true to my word. And then I'm not being rude. I don't have a clock in the back, so I'm checking my watch. By the way, I want to say thank you to Morgan, who is our audio video person today. It's funny when you do av correctly. No one knows you exist, but I see you. Morgan. Everyone please a round of applause.
Speaker 3: For Morgan and if anybody's curious, that's not my Morgan. It's just a different Morgan that does av so smooth.
Speaker 2: Today's been smooth. Go ahead.
Speaker 7: Okay, you've both of you have been doing this for a while. I was wondering if you would share the silliest argument that you ever been given for the existence of God.
Speaker 2: Okay, the silliest are giment we've ever heard.
Speaker 5: Oh, I've got a great one.
Speaker 3: So early on a listener reached out to me with us when we'd only been doing maybe fifty sixty episodes at that point, which now seems very early on, and he asked, you know, his question was about novel arguments and how you handle an argument you've never heard before. But the example he gave was incredible. It was and apparently this is a well known argument amongst some really desperate apologists. It's the pro thrumbrin pro thumbing.
Speaker 5: I don't remember the ny of it. There's a protein, there's a protein.
Speaker 3: That your body produces that the production is at its peak at the exact time that the Bible tells you to get circumcised, right, and so the so some people have gone in and said oh you know that that chemical It helps in reducing pain, perception or something. So God and his wisdom made it peak at the exact same time he wanted you.
Speaker 5: To lop piece of your dick off.
Speaker 3: And I just, first of all, that's not true, right, Like the argument like when you actually talk to someone who knows what they're talking about, that's it's not They don't even have the peak production correct.
Speaker 5: Nothing about it is true or anything.
Speaker 3: But my point on it to the listener that wrote to me was like, so, so what if when you presented with an argument like that, then you have to ask that person. Okay, So if I were able to show you that pro Thumbren or whatever the hell it's called, actually peaked four days earlier, would you stop believing in God? Because if not, then why the hell do you think this would convince me?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 3: Why would the opposite be convincing. I don't think I've come across one stupider than that. You know.
Speaker 2: The one that sticks in my head is not specifically about God. It has to do with Noah's arct get the YouTuber's name, but he had a video proving that the moon was proof the global flood happened during the time of Noah. He said, he said, no, no, no. He said that the craters in the moon were created when the water splashing through the firmament flooding the Earth. They littered the waves splashed up so far that the water went into the cosmos, turned to ice and traveled all the way to the moon and created all the craters of the moon.
Speaker 5: Why are there craters on the other side?
Speaker 2: Then I ask Erica gots It Gibbon about this, and she said, oh, I've heard this argument. We have a name for it. We call it lunar bukake. More prizes and more great interaction from our Cincinnati audience. The audio of the event on July eleventh continues. Next, let's give away some free crap real quick.
Speaker 8: That we.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody gets your raffle tickets out, and then we'll finish with a little more time together and uh and hopefully we'll we'll we'll all be there. So grab you a number, John.
Speaker 3: Oh, we got three, five, seven, two.
Speaker 2: Oh, we've got someone. Now I don't have a slide for this one. Fortunately it's big enough. No, I'm gonna have you take an edge if you are looking to be comfortable and commune with the devil. Come on, somebody take a picture. This is a primo moment if anybody wants to sleep with Miss McConnell, come on up here, all right, stand next to NOA. Somebody take a picture of this. Okay, I got to jump in here. It just occurred to me. You cannot see a Ouiji board blanket. I think it was like an eight x ten piece of fabric that was a Ouiji board. So that's what you're that's what you're missing. And congratulations to you. What's your first name, Laura?
Speaker 8: Laura?
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. Laura. All right, and because we're in the zone of comfort, let's do one more. Give me a number. John.
Speaker 3: If it had been the person next to Laura, that would have been hilarious.
Speaker 2: Bye, we have someone, well, yell out, what's your name?
Speaker 3: Glenn?
Speaker 2: Well, Glenn? I know everybody needs respite in these stressful days. You've heard of a neck pillow. Today you have won a necronomicon pillow. That's right. Every day you can sit back and rest upon the Book of the dead. So congratulations to you.
Speaker 3: This is zero street four four five four four, Oh, it's April.
Speaker 2: You don't have to come up if you don't want. What's your first name?
Speaker 3: Oh it's April, Well April.
Speaker 2: It's serendipitous that this prize ties into a few of the conversations that we have been having, and we would like to give you some inspiration to take with you. Signed by Noah and myself. It is the Kinham Daily Devotional.
Speaker 3: Right here, just wherever, right by his face, just right next to his face, so I had to inscribe it.
Speaker 2: Yours in Christ, give me another one. Brother, We've got looks like three left, and then we'll fellowship in the Lord for a little while.
Speaker 3: Good Altar Coombe are exert.
Speaker 14: More.
Speaker 2: Oh, we've got somebody in the back. Wonderful. Well, this is a very special special prize. I heard about this a long time ago. Someone took the stories of the Bible and accurate, accurate descripture depicted those stories using legos. It is known as the Brick Testament or also the brick Bible. I don't know if you want this signed or not. Do you want it? You want to? Do you want us to I'll tell you what. Uh, let me grab you after the show, will grab Jesus John. Wow, this is a movie I'm gonna show you a couple of slides some images from the Brick Bible for you, and I think you're gonna just love it. Wonderful. What was your first name? Mary? Mary? I'm so glad I'm not the only one here with a biblical name, So between you and me and Noah and John were covered.
Speaker 3: And I named Mary because my birthday is the Immaculate Conception day.
Speaker 2: Your birthday is the day of the Immaculate Conception. Catholic, Catholic for Catholic. Wow, I thought I felt the Catholic guilt on you when you walked up here. I thought I felt the congratulations to you. Okay, I'm gonna have to come over here and set this up using my laptop, but I wanted to show you a few of the images from the Brick Testament. Now, I think this is an amazing deconstruction tool because when you see these stories in the format we're used to the oil paintings and we hear them told at Sunday School, we don't really think about it that much, but when you see the stories depicted with toys, it draws a circle around how wacky this stuff really is. So from the Book of Genesis, we have Adam and Eve in the garden after they experienced the shame of their got very angry. Yahweh. In the background, we've got a little eve cleavage coming out over the Genesis Chapter thirty two, Jacob wrussels with God. God's doing some kind of move on him. I don't know. Of course, you can't talk about the Old Testament without talking about Noah's ark, complete with a dinosaur coming out of the top. And after they loaded the boat, then the rains came and they were all, it drives it home, doesn't I mean, just you see it, you actually see it. Exodus, chapter three, God appears to Moses in the form of a burning bush. Now this is my favorite part of the Brick Bible. So you know the story about King Saul telling David, all right, if you want my daughter's hand in marriage, you got to go into battle and you've got to slice off the foreskins of one hundred Philistines. David says, fine, I'm not going to just give you one hundred. I'm gonna do two hundred Philistine foreskins. And we see it in Lego. And if it wasn't enough to see the chop we get to see him counting them out in Saul's kingdom, a bucket of lego foreskins. It's just amazing, the wise men at the manger of Jesus presenting their gifts. Of course, we cannot skip the Bible's fixation with the penis crossing into the New Testament, so we have to include the account in Luke chapter two about the circumcision of Jesus. Got a little lego knife on the baby. There. We've got the Jesus Last Supper Lego. We've got the crucifixion in legos alongside the two thieves. Oh, you don't want to be the unsaved burning in hell hell fire legos. And of course we've got the Holy Trinity, where the Holy Ghost is a literal ghost. I mean, it's beautiful. Draw me another number, John.
Speaker 3: Eight two.
Speaker 2: Zero two three five eight two. Do I have someone? I have someone here? What's your first name? Brad? Brad. We all need to be able to have recreational time with our loved ones. Sometimes that includes board games. Many of us love board games. You've heard of the classic game Monopoly. Now you can play Bibleopoly, the Bible based game. We're gonna throw our signatures right here on the top. Let's see. Do I want to be over Nazareth, Bethlehem, the Angel. I'm just gonna go here on the left.
Speaker 5: I'm asking for it, going to Jerusalem.
Speaker 2: Here, what's the most what's the most the most expensive space? Believe it's Jerusalem, It's Joel Ostein's house. It's right here on the corn. And the final prize that I have for you today, we will draw a number four and we'll see how this one goes over. I think I may have saved the best, the most for me, the most satisfying for last. Go ahead, zero three six, zero three, all right, wonderful. What's your first name?
Speaker 3: Sky?
Speaker 2: Sky? Sometimes in perilous moments, a moment of fantasy can help us deal. Sometimes those moments can be depicted using toys, figurines, action figures. I present to you, ladies and gentlemen, the Donald Trump in prison action figures. Oh you want to society? Yeah, forgive me my parents and full see this one. You want it on the front where you want it?
Speaker 8: That's what.
Speaker 3: Am I gonna mess up? You're showing it to your parents if I put Trump on her?
Speaker 2: All right, dad, I got this nice picture at home that has Jeffrey Epstein and Trump right next to each other, and a flaster just on my dad to see you. I'm like, I am surrounded by devout, evangelical Bible banging moralists loved Trump. I had. I had lunch with someone who was on my extended family and I said this. I said, I want you to name one of the best teachings of Jesus or in the Bible that's reflected in Trump. And she blinked she couldn't. I mean, I said, are the meek turn the other cheek? Pride goes before the fall, don't love money, don't lust, don't commit adult tree. Right, whatever you've done to the least of these, you've done it done to me. It's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than the rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. Sell all you haven't give to the poor and follow me. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 2: I mean I just went through verse verse verse again, knowing the Bible better than she did, and I was like, give me one, give me one christ like attribute in this man. And she couldn't. But she didn't change her mind on it. He's still awesome.
Speaker 3: Well, because the other way too. If he's like, is there anything that Trump said don't do that he hasn't done?
Speaker 5: You know, he goes both ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think some of it has to do with there's a culture of people that believe that, well, sometimes you got to break some eggs to make the omlet. We need a strong man who can come and burn it down so we can rebuild it in God's image. He's I think he speaks to a lot of the embedded bigotries that a lot of people they were in the shadows, but now they're way comfortable in the light. We've learned a lot. Have you guys felt that We've learned a lot about our friends and relatives like stuff. I was so naive, but I was shocked. He does something cruel and horrible and it looks like they kind of like it, And I don't know, where have you have you cut people out of your life over that? Like do you draw that line and say I'm done with you?
Speaker 3: I think much in the same way that I got my dad to stop talking about religion to me by being better at arguing with me, I've scared off all of the people who would talk about Trump to me?
Speaker 5: Once again, I do this for a living, and they don't.
Speaker 2: People go on your channel. This is what I hear. You're great when you talk religion, but I hate it when you talk about politics, And I'm like, these two have been in bed with each other for How do you extricate politics and religion in this climate?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I mean especially when you look at you know, where Trump's supports coming from. Right, Like, it would be impossible not to address the hypocrisy that you're talking about. The least christ Like person to ever run for office on a major party ticket is the candidate of Christ here?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Did you see him reference the Islamic Republic of Japan?
Speaker 8: The other.
Speaker 5: It's not the lesser known republics from Japan.
Speaker 2: I mean, I want a big Biden fan, But if Biden had pulled at one one thousandth of this shit, I mean, you know, I'm saying, Fox News would have spontaneously combusted Biden. This blows my mind. Was there anybody else who had a contribution, who wanted to speak? I see a hand on the back row to my right.
Speaker 3: Is far from Johns can be? Wow, get your ten thousand steps today, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: I'm Dan.
Speaker 14: I want to thank you guys for uh everything that you do. I've been a supporter for a long time, been listener for well over ten years and appreciate everything. Sorry, I'm a little nervous, Seth. I sent you an email a couple of weeks ago about the guy using a guillotine to slice the chocolate vein off of his candy bar.
Speaker 2: I remember, no, no, no, it's it's a guy who invented a three D printed Yeah, I think he.
Speaker 14: I think he three D printed it.
Speaker 2: And it slices the veins off of a Snickers bar.
Speaker 14: Because they're too suggestive of a vein on something else.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was. It was too phallic for the Christians that really wanted us Snickers but were too homophobic to eat one. But well, you know, you got to figure like, because I've eaten a lot of Snickers in my life and I've never been like, oh it's a cock.
Speaker 14: But my question both of you, you guys are obviously rock stars in this community. How do you stay grounded? How do you not get full of yourself, let your ego get carried away or anything like that.
Speaker 5: Well, I've got Lucinda to keep me in line.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say the same thing. Yeah, I mean our partners, my wife's she's her. Oh my bullshit, you know she And you know, it's funny in some ways, you're getting the edited for broadcast version, right, You're getting the you're getting the airbrush. You know, you don't. We're just people. Were no more important than anybody else where. We don't have We're not wiser necessarily anybody else. And it can be intoxicating. I came out of FM radio and there's a ton of ego and radio and these guys were walking around and they were you know, and and it's easy to happen. But I'll tell you, I've made it an exercise to remember that nobody, nobody is obligated to bring me into their lives, like no one. And yet they did, you know, no, they didn't have to give me the time of day. They didn't they could. They were a squil. There were like five hundred thousand active podcasts in the world right now. They don't have to listen to me, and yet they did. They don't have to call, they don't have to send an email, you know, sharing their story. They don't have to come out and hug me on the road and introduce me to their family. And yet they do, and it's a it just blows my mind, and it's it's tramid, sounds like a freaking I swear it sounds like a card, but it's tremendously humbling when people have opened their lives and their hearts to you, and it is for me every day. I'm just blown away that I get to do what I care about. But I also am connected to a family that I'm not getting, a kind of family that I haven't gotten in my immediate biological family tree, because as I've learned, sometimes your family is the family you choose, and your family is the family that chooses you. And it has filled up my heart and ways that I can't even describe. So if you will, my friends, you complete me.
Speaker 3: And I wanted to add to that, you know, I'm sorry, Ian Dan, Sorry. So I also wanted to point out, you know, Dan, you ask how we keep ourself humble?
Speaker 2: Y'all do that for us?
Speaker 3: Right? So unlike a religious organization or something like that, you don't. You don't have the same type of hero worship that I think you get in a lot of other places. Because we encourage our listeners and our our viewers and our followers to call us out when we get things wrong. And so when I you know, I am strategically incorrect. From time to time, I'll intentionally put mistakes into my show to see if anybody notices so clever, so clever, yes and so. And when I do that, people will very quickly show up to say, you got that wrong, you know, and they'll explain to me why you know, how it's wrong and why it's wrong. And there are a lot of very smart people that listen to our shows, and so you know, we we we get educated very quickly. So you know, if you're looking for humility in this business, just say anything incorrect one damn time, and this our audience will provide plenty of it.
Speaker 2: When I post a video or podcast, I don't follow comments because it's literally a black hole that you'll never get out of for a long term. But for the first two days I'm hyper focused because if there's an error I need to know about it. They'll find it within the first forty eight hours, usually within the first twelve here. But there's also jaw dropping pedantry going. So I did a piece on flat earthers. Can you believe there are people in this world who think the Earth is a disk? It just blows my mind. Okay, I was saying, these people when so much of the evidence, the overwhelming preponderance of evidence, tells us the Earth is round. And immediately, yes, immediately I get emails saying it's not round, it's a it's an oblet spheral, which.
Speaker 3: By the way, is round. What blows me away is how many people will send in a correction without checking to see if they were right first. Right, It would be like, actually, that's not what that word means. I'm like, did you look at a dictionary first before you said this? Are you just that full of yourself?
Speaker 2: People in the skeptic community are sharing things that they are not vetting that are demonstrably wrong. There was one going out recently about Share who had called out Carolyn Levitt for something and humiliated her, and yeah, I love Share. Well. Share is a legend, right, There's no doubt Share never said the thing that they said she shared. There's a popular Donald Trump thing that's been going around a quote attributed to I think the nineteen nineties where he said, you know, if I ever run for politics. I'll run as a Republican because the Republicans are the stupidest party. Well, it sounds like something he would have said. Trump never said it, and yet it speaks to where we're at it. We're outraged about him. He's just he's such garbage attitudes about the world, and so we lean into those and hit clicked like share like share, like share, And sometimes when I correct the record and say this never happened, will get mad at me. When did When did not being correct become the problem?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 2: We need to be creatures of the truth, and and we're all emotional bags of animated meat. We're all higher primates, we are all susceptible. And it's going to be harder and harder in the world of deep fakes and AI and what happens when somebody, you know, somebody goes after you and they make a piece of media that makes you say and do whatever they decided, do you want to You'll spend the rest of your life trying to debunk it. It's it's a crazy world.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I have Eli Bosnik as a co host. I think about that all the time.
Speaker 2: Is it true that he went out on one of your gam shows wearing a it was it a diaper or a thong or all of.
Speaker 3: The gam showshows. Yeah, it's funny. It all started the very first time we did a show. Okay, all right, you know so the way it's it was he the very first time we did a live show. He said, Oh, I've got this funny bit. What if I come out in my underwear and then You'll be like, do what are you doing? And I'll say, oh, you just said to address Wow, I normally dress for a record, And I'm like, well, I wouldn't ask you to do that, but if you're offering that's funny as hell. And so I think now he's gotten in his mind that nobody really would be happy coming to a live show if they didn't see his butt cheeks, and I just don't have the heart to tell him that's not the case.
Speaker 2: That's a show you do, you don't do before dinner, apparently not a dinner and a show show. Probably not here in our final few minutes together, I want you guys to be fully aware of a lot of the stuff that Noah is a part of. God Awful Movies is a remarkable achievement. How many films have you and your crew reviewed roughly today?
Speaker 3: I think we're well, yeah, if you include our bonus episodes that we do for patrons, I believe we're over six hundred now, I.
Speaker 2: Mean twelve hundred hours of Christian media. Of movies. Are they pure flicks or are they a guy with a cel phone cam and all the everything between.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's as soon as I hate to say it, pure flix represents the really the the upper echelon of the quality that we deal with on god awful movies. But now you know you're talking about the deep face of the problems with AIMN. My life has just been made all the more miserable. Now that these people have access to AI. They can turn these movies out, thirty seven of them a day now.
Speaker 2: I love how a lot of the Christian media. When I was a Christian, I was the same way, so I can say it. I loved I was the part of the white male, white heateral male, conservative Republican Christian man, and I was playing persecuted all the time. Right, Oh, I'm pe persecuted in this country, you know. I like the god awful movies, isn't that? Where was it? Sorbo who's the teacher and someone goes on trial, God goes on trial. What's the name of the what's the movie?
Speaker 3: So I think you might have a couple of them there, because there's God's Not Dead. Was the one where he was Chorbo played the college professor the.
Speaker 2: Eighties or Yeah, he was the hardened, unhappy, miserable atheist.
Speaker 3: Right who gets hit by a car and decides to be Jesus at the very last second. And then there was a sequel to it. I believe it was the second one where a teacher remind me who played the teacher. She was famous in the eighties. Who was it, Melissa Joe Hart. Yeah, so she played the teacher that got sued for saying Jesus during a lesson at a public school.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Sobody said, well, is there any historical example of somebody who's you know whatever it was, And she says, well, Jesus Christ of Nazareth, And so they said the a c lu came out to sewer and then I believe that was the second one in that series. I thought that they missed an opportunity of having the rapture happen while she was on the stand in the middle of that one, but maybe part six.
Speaker 2: We've done that. I was able to guess on god awful movies, and we did when Footman Tire What Will Horses Do, which is an estes Perkle film that came out I want to say the seventies, sixties or some I think early.
Speaker 5: Seventies, and it is torture porn.
Speaker 2: Its absolute moreture porn. And I'm telling you there's a fetish aspect to a lot of the ways that religious organizations portray evil and I kind of wonder if they're getting off like they're like, well, if you don't accept Jesus, this is going to happen, and then they take tremendous pleasure in showing you all these lascivious deeds and carnality and violence, and it kind of feels like pornographic that in that sense, y do you feel like, maybe, hey, now we've got an excuse to eat the forbidden fruit right right right?
Speaker 3: And it's interesting if you look into the like the history of cinema in America. For a very long time, we were very prudish about what we would and wouldn't allow on the movie screen. And one of the early ways they would get around that was by using Bible stories. Right, so if you are telling a Bible story, well, we know the Bible well enough to know there's plenty of tits and ass in the Bible, so the you know, but it was really hard for the censors to say, well, this is offensive when you can be like it's chapter in urse Man. So and I think there's probably that's at least part of the reason. If you look at the history of like art through the Renaissance and everything, you know, they used the Biblical stories as an excuse to paint a lot of really lascivious things that might be considered pornographic, you know, if it wasn't tied to the Bible. So I think it's probably just part of that lineage, you know, like in if Footman Tire you the guy the director that made that, He made his name by doing slasher fix afflicks of the seventies and then found Jesus and moved on to that.
Speaker 2: One of my favorites. They showed them Christian School was super Christian. I shit you not. He turned into a superhero with a costume and a cape and flew around doing Jesus shit. It was the wackiest whackiest. Then there was the Thief in the Night series. They brought us in and showed us essentially the end of the World films. Now I'm in like sixth grade and they show us and say this will happen. Millions of people disappear at the rapture, the One World government takes everything over. They make you take the mark of the beast, you get it tattooed. If you refuse, they take you to the middle of a town square and they execute you by guillotine. And they had bloody guillotines and heads carried out in baskets. And they showed us these films, and at the end they had an altar call and say, now, who would like to accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and save it? And we were weeping, we were terrified. We rushed to the stage. It's a kind of child abuse. I don't know. Is that an overreach to say child abuse?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't think so at all. Like I've seen some of those movies, it's absolutely abusive. If you took the religious element out of it, everyone would agree that those movies are so.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, the passion is and there's a sequel coming out. Did you guys do the Path? Did you review?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, we did that one live in New York City. I think that might have been our first live show.
Speaker 2: And it's funny because the church really got kind of nervous about Mel Gibson when he started screaming all the Holocaust denial and the anti Semitic stuff and Jews are responsible for all the wars in the world, and he's beaten his girlfriend and he's a total drunk and all these other things. They were parading him around the church circuit and it was at the time Passion was the number one most profitable rated R movie in his story, and now he's going back to the well somebody else is playing Jesus, So you're going to review it, I'm guessing Oh absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah. That record, by the way, is now held by Deadpool, So so Jesus Deadpool.
Speaker 5: I really like that.
Speaker 2: Have you guys had a good time today? That's really our dream. You know, I know your time is precious, and I know that you have responsibilities in your life, and you know it's for you to be here. Is it's a real gift to us. Everyone's thanking us for being here, But I don't know about you, no, but I look out and I'm just like thank you, like, thank you for coming. No, do you have any final thoughts before we put a bow on it today?
Speaker 3: Now that you put me on the spot, like no, I just want to reiterate I really appreciate you guys coming out. You know, we do this week after week to an empty room, and it is really nice to sometimes be reminded.
Speaker 5: That you know, there are ears on the other end of it. So thank you so much for coming out.
Speaker 6: I think.
Speaker 2: My I think the one thing i'd leave you with and we're going to hang out will be out if you guys want, we'll be with you for a little bit of time if you want to, we'd love a chance to meet you. By the way, everybody you want to guess I don't have a photographer, so if anybody has a cell phone, anybody want to take a quick picture of just like the room or anything real fast to have? Uh oh go ahead, noah, yeah, you guys, all right.
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Can we get everybody in there?
Speaker 3: I think so everybody say cheese.
Speaker 2: I thought you're gonna say, Jesus, here's a fun one. When you see somebody out there, especially with Christians, say hey, just walk up with the dead pan, straight face and say, did you know if you say Jesus backwards it sounds like sausage. Even before they get offended, they will be doing it in their brain for the rest of their life. I think if there was any final thing, it would be this. And it goes back to my story earlier. It's that we're around by people that are expecting us to validate them. But that's not why we're here. It's it's not our responsibility to validate other people to keep them comfortable. Certainly, we want to build bridges where we can. But I'm telling you, you know, would my life in some ways be easier if I played nice and you know, played Christian? I don't know, probably in some ways. But I would never go back. Do anybody else feel that, Like I'd never go back. I would never retreat back into the matrix because even despite the challenges, I'm happier now. I'm less scared of death now than I am when I believed in heaven. Is that freaky? Like I don't fear death, Like the moments mean more because I know that they are finite. My relationships mean more because I realized that, you know, the conditional ones fell away, and the people who loved and respected me for who I was, they were the ones who stuck around. Those are the important ones. I've my circle has become bigger and smaller in some ways. And I'll tell you, an authentic life is a gift that you give to yourself every day. It just it returns to you every day. And that's my hope for you when you leave and you get back out into this crazy world, and it is crazy if you are able to be who you are and be honest about it and know that we're all just primates trying to figure it out and doing the best we can, and that we're good without gods. We're good for goodness sake, and we are us and not who other people expect us to be. That is a gift. It is a Christmas gift three sixty five twenty four to seven, and I hope you give that gift to yourself. What an honor it has been to be here today. Thank you so much for coming out and being a part of it. A real, real crisis.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Follow The Thanking Atheist on Facebook and Twitter for a complete archive of podcasts and videos. Products like months and t shirts featuring the Thinking Atheist logo, links to atheist pages and resources, and details on upcoming free thought events and conventions. Log onto our website, The Thinkingatheist dot com