Speaker 1: Judy was boring.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: Then Judy discovered chumbacasino dot com.
Speaker 3: It's my little escape.
Speaker 1: Now Judy's the life of the party. Oh baby, mama is bringing home the bacon. WHOA, Take it easy, Judy.
Speaker 2: Jump.
Speaker 1: The Chumba life is for everybody. So go to chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices. Jump chumpacasino dot com. No prig's necessary. Boy, We're promited to my mom eighteen plus terms and condition to ply see what sever details.
Speaker 4: Hey guys, it is Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing, and now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at Chumba Casino dot com.
Speaker 5: No prigs necessary. Dao where if I lost the terms of elock.
Speaker 6: You are now listening to True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Geese, Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 2: Good Evening. This psychological crime thriller takes us inside the mind of a unique female serial killer, a prostitute who murdered seven adult men, a case with which the author was intimately involved. The issues raised by this my profile criminal case remain unresolved to this day. Women, even prostitutes, have the right to self defense in theory, but in practice the story is more complicated. This book will challenge everything you ever thought about prostitutes, serial killers, and justice in America. Alien Warnos is a damaged soul, a genuine American outlaw, a symbol of women's rage, a symbol of what can happen to severely abused children, and of how our justice system fails women. Chessler's involvement with a serial killer has haunted her ever since. She speaks in Aileen Warnos's voice as well as in her own, and delivers an incisive, original, and dramatic portrait of a cognitively impaired, traumatized, and alcoholic woman who endured so much pain in her short life. When she had had enough, the results were deadly. This is a poignant, sometimes humorous, never before told, behind the scenes tale well. Warnos's story is handled with great sensitivity, but also with realistic detachment by Chesler as she probes the telling moment. The telling phrase was Warno's suffering from post traumatic stress after a life lived on a killing field? Was she also born evil? So many prostitutes have been torture murdered by serial killers? How did Warnos once pray become a predator? Requiem for a Female serial Killer will also haunt you. It won't let you put it down. Take a walk on the wild side The Ghost of Alien Warnos Beckons. The book that we're featuring this evening is Requiem for a Female Serial Killer with my special guest, journalist and author Philip Chesler. Welcome to the program, and thank you so much for this interview. Philip Phillips Chesler.
Speaker 3: It is my pleasure to be with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for joining me on this to talk about your reque for a serial killer. Now you talk about you open in your book. Florida nineteen ninety in a report, two women are being sought shooting deaths of eight to twelve middle aged men lured to their desks in Florida highways. A suspect number one, a white female five foot ten, blonde hair. Suspect number two, white female five foot four to five foot six, heavy build and short brown hair. They are armed, in dangerous and possibly the nation's first serial killers. And it was a warning put out too men traveling off Highway one seventy five, I seventy five. All of these men were strangers, not husbands, not intimates.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: Soon after Alien is arrested, the Lee Carol Warnos called you. A few months after she was a tell us about that conversation. What was said in that short amount of time.
Speaker 3: Well, first, when I first heard the announcement, I thought it was a joke, It wasn't possible. And then when she was captured, I thought, well okay. And what drew me in was the hope vision that we could present to a jury the nature of prostitution in America and globally, which is the most extreme form of violence towards women, and it's not understood that way. So when she called me for the first time, and there's a backstory to how I arranged that, I knew I would only have a few seconds to get her attention. So I said, Lee, I represent a feminist government in exile. We know that you've been captured and we'd like to help. And she responded, far fucking out. You're the women's lib right, I said yes, And then she said, tell the women out there that I'm innocent, Tell them that men hate our guts. I was raped and I defended myself, and she referred to the known I mean gerald Steno had been killing prostitutes, mainly black cocaine addict prostitutes, all over Florida, was never caught for a long time. She knew about this. The corpses littering the highways were those of women, not of men. So what she did ultimately was a first. As you said already, she was meant to be prey, and she became the first time out someone who killed in self defense. I really believe that thereafter something changed and she became a predator. So that's how it began.
Speaker 2: Now give our audience your background at this time and position at this time when you are talking to alien on the telephone. What is your background in your feminist activist background? Tell us about that.
Speaker 3: Well, for since the late nineteen sixties, I've been involved in all the issues as a scholar, as a professor, and as an activist in terms of violence against women, rape, incest, woman battering, pornography, prostitution. And I don't think that we changed a lot of consciousness, but we failed also to command our point of our abolitionist point of view, either in the media or on campuses. So I saw her, I didn't even think, is she is serial killer? Do you really want to mix it up with a serial killer? I only saw her as someone who'd been raped all her life, paid to be raped eventually, who probably had organic brain syndrome and other cognitive and neurological impairments, hustled every day of her life from the time she was quite young, like maybe nine or ten, and I go through all of the traumatizing and tortuous experiences that she had, and she was the tougher for it, and the more dissociated for it. So I saw in her the opportunity to put prostitution on trial, to put male violence and contempt for women who are prostitutes or who they view as if they are prostitutes, on trial. I also wanted to have a jury here that women should have the right to kill in self defense, but mainly don't the first time that Eileen killed in self defense? What could she have done gone to the police. There was a warrant out for her arrest. She was already a criminal by definition because she was selling sex for money. The johns don't get arrested, they are not seen as criminals. So there's a little movement in that area, but not much really, So what could she have done? She had to just go back to earning her daily bread, so to speak. So I didn't even contemplate is she a serial killer? If so, what kind? And it took me years to profile the kind of very unique serial killer that she is.
Speaker 2: When did you get to when did the decision come to be able to try to defend her with this rape self defense? How much information did you have before you endeavored to take upon this project.
Speaker 3: Well, I had already written, I had written about three cases in America from the nineteen seventies in which mainly women of color had killed in self defense because they were raped or in one instance, to avoid being raped. And there's case law that I wanted the Florida public defenders to consider because I thought it might apply. Now. Of course, she didn't get a fair deal, a fair shake, not in her life, and not at her first trial, and not when she made her first confession, because the video of that confession, when her only goal was to rescue her lover who was the one who betrayed her by taking the stand against her, and the cops cannily set that up. And I write about what they did and what it led to. So the fact that Lee, that's what people call her, the fact that Lee kept referring to she killed in self defense sixteen times in that confession. The jury didn't get to hear that because somebody edited it out of the video that the jury was shown. So that's just one of many many examples of too little justice for her. On the other hand, I can't say, well, the public defenders through the case because she was a hard client. She cursed like a sailor, she cursed like old the men who were John's in her life, none of whom she hated. She thought they were her friends or her boyfriends. Some of them gave her advice carry a gun. You know, in a fact, you're not working, honey, you're in a war. So she started carrying a gun, which did save her life that first time. And this is something that I talked to her about at length. She would never ever reveal the details of each murder, so I had to imagine it through her eyes based on what I understood about her, what I had learned from talking to her and corresponding with her and reading every piece of paper legal and otherwise that I could find. And she was a very quick study. Because suddenly, he is she's hearing from a feminist who has other feminists backing her up who want to put together a team, like a dream team for her. She starts talking like a feminist. I was kind of impressed and amazed. So I think that women who are prostituted pretty much know how to say what they think the customer wants to hear, and you never get to know what they're really thinking. So she was quite good at that. And I remember at a certain point I asked her, could you please write down for me how many times you've been raped? And she did, and then she read it to me on the phone. Well, her definition of rape was not my definition. And I've studied rape traumas syndrome, and anyone who's listening knows that some women they get raped once and it changes, it crushes a bit of their soul for a while, if not forever, even if they continue on with their lives. So she how definition was when a bunch of guys, probably on the young side, tie you down, tie you up, bang, rape you, rob you, threaten to kill you, beat you up, but then you live. So she was giving me examples of this, and then she had another definition of being raped, which was if you sell the sex, which is like getting money for being raped, but the guy doesn't pay you. That's another definition of rape to her. And after she got through I don't know ten or fifteen, I said, you can stop now because it's way off the charts, although it's totally typical of any prostitute's life. And she says, now I can keep going. It's okay. It doesn't bother me. I'm thinking, oh my god, but it bothers me. You know, such extreme profound violence, and she toughed it out because and drank. You have to drink or take drugs and get dissociated in order to make your way through this war zone.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about her background, because I know people have, Like I said to you in the beginning before the program, I've read all kinds of things about her horrendous upbringing. But there are things in this book that you chronicle that I don't think people are aware of, like that she had experienced death and seen a corpse. But let's go back to the everything that you found out about her background and also her foray I guess into selling sex at a young age.
Speaker 3: Well, her biological father hung himself in jail. He was known as a pedophile and a wife beater. A biological mother who I track down in Texas and who was afraid to visit her even on death row, afraid of her daughter who had a bad, bad temper, No compassion possible. Unfortunately, her grandparents, who were both alcoholics, ran her biological mother out of town, and then they told Lee and her brother Keith that they were her real parents. Whether they performed a legal adoption or not, I'm not sure. I can check and her grandfather was its Finnish origin in Michigan, Troy and Rochester, Michigan where it gets pretty cold in the winter. And she was probably difficult and rebellious, and she was hard of hearing and visually impaired. And the grandmother, who Lee claimed did really love her, never correct did these impairments. I'm not sure why not. She managed to get herself into different kinds of trouble, but her grandfather beat her savagely for minor infractions as well as for major infractions. And then she began she was very proud that she didn't take drugs, and she didn't consider the beer that she drank a drug. I do, and because she drank a lot of it. But you know, back in the day, she tried psychedelics, she tried grass. She had to obtain them somehow when she was eight or nine or ten, so she started getting them by having sex with neighboring boys. And this was voluntary, she said, this was voluntary. But then when she was about thirteen going on fourteen, she was raped and impregnated, presumably by a friend or someone who represented himself as a friend of her father grandfather. And can you imagine what her family felt here. She's someone who doesn't clean up after herself, who has a bad temper, who's loud, doesn't pay attention in school, can't see, can't hear very well. At the trial, I think this was true as well. She's pregnant, so she goes to the Florence Crittenden Home for unwed mothers in an era when it was seen as shameful and there was no question ever about keeping your baby. You have to sight. Unseen baby is whisked away. And by the way, that's the kind of torture, and it's catastrophic and traumatic, just that that male serial killers cannot go through. In many ways or in some ways, she was like male serial killers, bullied and isolated, and she did set two fires with her brother, but then her grandparent parents threw her out and she lived in an abandoned car in the snow. Now this is unheard of because where were the social workers, Where was the police department, Where were the other adult neighbors. Why was she not looked after or rescued or helped in some way? Of course she wasn't, and I'm not saying she was an easy ride, but she was a child. She was a child, So after she was raped and pregnated and forced to give up or probably wanted to give up a baby for adoption, that's when she told her aunt's sister Laurie that men hate us, they really hate us. I don't know where that sentence came from in her head, but at that point she hit the road, and she was young and good looking and blonde and Scandinavian and was hooking on the road. Now, who's on the road truck is? They could be big and rough and good time guys. Likewise, and she was by then, at fifteen sixteen, drinking a lot of beer and had a child sense of money. So, for example, her brother Keith died and left her ten thousand dollars. A regular kind of person would say, hmm, maybe I could make a down payment on a house or fund some education. No, she blew it in three months on a car which was repossessed, and on beer, music, and food. So I only gradually began to comprehend that maybe, even though she was slick and smart and drew beautiful drawings, that she may have had a low IQ as well, not a high one. And in many ways she was thinking the way a child thinks. If you have enough money from the sex for a motel room for a couple of nights, and for beer and food, you're okay. So the ability to plan ahead was nonexistent, and unlike many high profile male serial killers, she just left clues everywhere. She wasn't strategic in her killings. So here you have a child in America, a child of Michigan, who was just allowed to disappear and make her own little way in this wide wide world. And in Requiem for a Female serial Killer, I do have some of her descriptions which are heart rendering of what it means when guys get rough with you, exactly what it means. I'm not going to read them on the air, but you know, this was her life, and she toughed it out. And when she was in jail in Citrus County, it was male jail and everybody was like taunting her, the male prisoners, And she started telling me about it, and I said, oh my god, how can you parent? She goes, I'm tough, I can take it. It doesn't bother me. Let them talk, you know. So she was from another world, not my world. I'm privileged to lead a life of ideas and an activist life. She didn't have that chance. And in fact it was funny because here I came, and other feminists with me who were revolutionary in our vision, and we wanted to overturn this bad stuff. She just wanted a piece of the pie. She just wanted, you know, fair and square our meals and her her money for her work. Different. She was a petit bourgeois capitalist and did not understand, could not believe why anyone, beginning with myself and others like me, would do something for no money. She didn't get it, So I was a fool, also not just she.
Speaker 2: Let's use this as an opportunity to stop for a second.
Speaker 1: With Lucky Landslots, you can get lucky just about anywhere, Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and broom?
Speaker 3: Sorry?
Speaker 5: Sorry, we're here.
Speaker 1: We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time.
Speaker 4: No lucky land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a gets registered in.
Speaker 1: In luck case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 3: Thanks for free.
Speaker 1: At Lucky Landslots dot com. Buses are waiting, no purchase necessary.
Speaker 5: Voyd were prohibited by eight team plus terms and conditions of flag. See website for.
Speaker 2: Details and two for these messages. Now, Phyllis, we were talking about just her background. She gets married when she's twenty years old. Tell us about this very brief marriage.
Speaker 3: Oh, she married Lewis Fell who she beat. She beat him and he took out an order of protection against her, and she was very proud that he had a lot of money, but she wasn't going to stay with him even for the money. She had a very interesting relationship to money because on the one hand, she professed, I don't care about it, it's not important to me. On the other hand, once she was caught and she became notorious or famous, or she put it, I've made history, then she was really obsessed with money. And I understand that many male serial killers are likewise. So she had two very different kinds of relationships to money.
Speaker 2: Now, tell us about this relationship that really is more than a contributing factor to these murders, but just the high point of Aileen's life, and tell us where they met and then how this relationship. What was the dynamics of this relationship right from the start, and what did Aileen tried to do for her new love, Tyra harry Well.
Speaker 3: I wish I truly understood it. I also tracked Tyrea down and interviewed her where she was living. I'm not going to say where, but both of them agree that Lee was not really a lesbian. I don't know what that means exactly, because she said she loved her and she confessed to save her, and she was her one and only, her only living person in her life. She didn't have family, she didn't have friends, so she had Tyria. So maybe they weren't sexual. Many prostitutes are not sexual. How can they be given what they must do and what they must think? So perhaps they were bonded, joined at the hip, but it wasn't necessarily or primarily sexual. So it was a matter of having someone there, a living being, a body in the cave, so to speak. So Tyrea said she didn't like Lee hooking and that she would have worked two jobs cleaning motels or doing minimal wage work to keep Lee off the road. Lee said no, Tyree wanted cigarettes and beer, and I had to keep giving her money and I had to work to support her. Now I could not decide where the truth lay between the two of them. So and Lee, by the way, did not hate men. Does not hate men, or at least that's what she said. On the one hand, men hate our guts. But on the other hand, hey, my best friends, you know, are these guys you know, and they're like boyfriends or and she like a child, she would do some things that prostitutes do not do. She would cuddle, she would kiss, is unheard of in the world of prostitution. So again signaling to me that there was a primitive child trapped in this grown up body. And she had many boyfriends before the first lesbian love affairs she had before Tyrea many boyfriends, and she could not understand why they always screwed her and hit her and left her. So I tried to see a lot of it through her eyes, because she really didn't understand why she kept getting in trouble, genuinely didn't get it because she saw herself as trying hard and being forced to fail. Nobody gave me a break, ever, was her line. So she had a complicated relationship, as most prostitutes do to sexuality, it gets wrecked for them wrecked.
Speaker 2: Now, how did she conduct herself as this prostitute? She thought it was quite a novel approach to doing it in conspicuous, she said. She describes it as how did she approach prostitution and who did she target?
Speaker 3: She was very clever. She heard disguise was to pass for normal. She was far from normal. But she wore cut off shorts or jeans and a sweatshirt. You're very plain, no makeup, in no way tarted up. And she was clean too. Because many studies of prostitutes in general, and definitely in Florida, you know, they have open running swords, they have diseases that men have given to them, they have fevers. It doesn't stop the Johns, which is something I do not understand. And they are also dressed up to look like Hoc is not Lee. She was just dressed like an ordinary housewife. And her line was, Oh my car broke down and I have to pick up my kids. Can you give me a lift? Pretty clever so and she also imagined she had no car, and I think the main reason was not only that they they could not afford a car, but she could not get a license and she was wanted. There was a warried out for her arrest, and she had already done time in jail for something that really, she would say, was not her fault that happened to her. So she's walking like biblically along the highways and the blazing sun, or sometimes taking the Voutran bus line. So she's like a creature from the way back in the past, and everyone else is speeding by in cars. I would imagine that that alone could cause a permanent resentment and a burn on a low boil that got hotter. So that was her mo and it was simple and it was smart.
Speaker 2: You talk about the treatment, and we were already talking about this to treatment of prostitutes in general. I'm sure that people don't know. And this is what some of the promise of this book is, is to fill people in on the reality of what happens, because many people still, I've heard it myself, they blame the prostitute for luring the men instead of men looking for women. And then but just the treatment of prostitutes, and also Eileen's treatment in the past, before we talk about Richard Mallory or any of the subsequent other victims.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, Warner's herself has a very good line, and it's the opening page of Requiem. She said if men would keep their money in their pockets and their penises in their pants, there would be no prostitution. And this is true. It is demand that drives it, not supply, and prostitutes, with a very rare half of one percent exception, are not making a free choice. It's a forced choice in order to eat. And the majority of prostitutes in the world, and certainly in the United States, are coming from highly dysfunctional, impoverished backgrounds. They're very often women of color, but not only and they are raped, beaten, prostituted at home, like this woman who's about to be federally executed, Lisa Montgomery. Her mother prostituted her to a series of men at home from childhood on or from early teenage years on. So very typically prostitutes are runaways hoping to get this awful stuff behind them, but of course they're then latched onto by pimp and they have to eat. They're homeless. Homelessness is a big problem. They don't have the children. They're ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, and the Johns want young children. They're pedophiles. Psychologically, even when a woman is over eighteen, she has to pretend to look younger, or say she's younger to be more marketable. So most prostitutes are not there because it's there because they had a choice between becoming the president of a large corporation, the president of a university, or being a street hooker or an escort service hooker or chain to the rother wool traffic. And by the way, trafficking is the same as prostitution. It's someone being trafficked for the purpose of prostitution. And this is a huge global industry. It's bigger than guns, and it's bigger than drugs, and it's female and sometimes male children, male sexual slavery. This is the biggest slave trade that we have. But it's simply not seen that way, which is unbelievable. And the prosecutor, John Tanner, who prosecuted Lee, and who himself had been Ted Bundy's spiritual adviser, he has gone on record, he's written some articles in Florida newspapers describing prostitutes as vile, as evil, as causing healthy, wonderful family men, not only causing them to go astray, but giving them diseases, when it's quite the other way around. So you're right, the general view of prostitution is. She loves it. It's going to end well for her. All of the film Pretty Woman, she's bringing men down, not that men are demanding it, but she's demanding of them their money. Why because women are not equal economically anywhere in the world. And yes, we have fabulous exceptions, but that's the rule. So something like war zones, genocidal war zones, poverty, homelessness, parents sell their girls. Hempce trick them by saying, you come to America or to wherever, and you'll have a wonderful job and you'll meet a great man, he'll marry you, and everything will be terrific. And they fall for this from Eastern Europe, from Russia, from Ukraine, from Thailand, and then no exit from hell, and they are gang raped to season them and break their spirits, and then they're addicted to drugs which they cannot do without. And then most of the money that they earned goes to the pimp and the brothel keeper and the landlord, etc. So you don't get rich from this so called profession which again I repeat, it's not work like sex work. And here a group of US, a large number of US, part company with the feminists who believe that women have the right to sell anything, babies from their womb, any of their orifice for someone else's sexual pleasure for money. I see it as slavery and is a forced choice and is extremely violent as a war zone, a killing field, and not as like you don't see the daughters. This is often a very very wealthy, civilized families choosing to be prostitutes. Yes some do, but that's not who's out there.
Speaker 2: This esus has an opportunity to stop for the messages from our sponsor, which is ritual to really know what's in your multivitamin. My wife Lisa, about eight months ago, decided to take a look at ritual dot com to read about their unique approach to creating a woman's multivitamin. She was especially interested in their focus on absorvability of the vitamins and nutrients contained, and it's made Lisa a believer in ritual, and she says she continues to feel the difference that ritual makes every day. You'll always know where your nutrients come from thanks to Rituals. One of a kind visible supply chain. Ritual is designed with different life stages in mind. Available for women, men, and teens, Ritual multivitamins, including their best selling Prenatal, are scientifically developed to help support different life stages. Your multivitamins are delivered to your door every month with free shipping always. You can start snooze or cancel your subscription anytime, and if you don't love Ritual within your first month, they'll refund your first order. You deserve to know what's in your multivitamin. That's why Ritual is offering my listeners ten percent off during your first three months. Visit ritual dot com slash murder to start your Ritual today. Now, Phyllis, we were getting a little off track because what people have always looked at, and of course that's why she was convicted, and is that we have to get to the reality. The idea that people will accept the idea that a prostitute has shot seven or more men in self defense is beyond an uphill climb, despite the cases that you cite and you bring to the defense team. Let's talk about Richard Mallory and talk about where Eileen and Tyr were in the relationship when Richard Mallory came in into their lives.
Speaker 3: Richard Mallory was a hormonger, and a pornography addict who, amazingly for a white man, did many years in a jail for attempting to rape probably the wrong man's wife. And this is while he was married and happily married. He just couldn't get these visions out of his head. So he was not an upstanding guy. And the jury never got to hear about his lifestyle and his past imprisonment for sex addiction because quote, the dead man is never on trial. So Mallory had just been partying with two other prostitutes who were one of whom was picked up for his murder, but was ultimately let go because the they were like warners because they too were prostitutes, and so they were made for his murder. Now, I believe Lee's very credible description of that night, which would have been in nineteen eighty nine, the end of November or the very beginning of December, even though she herself recanted this. I didn't believe the recantation. And I've been trained as a clinical psychologist, and I was a professor of psychology at so you know, I had in my bones I believed her. The first trial. I found her moving incredible. She was the only defense witness for herself. Nobody else was called, and I mean none of our pro bono potential dream team were called, and they were He picked her up and by and bye. They decided that yeah, they'd have sex, and Lee gave him her prices and he before he tied her up and began to brutally torment her and do terrible things to her. He said, well, he doesn't really have the money, so that's already he's going to rate me. He's going to rate me without paying me. That's way out of line to her, and she told him that, but he tied her up, He tied her to the steering wheel, and he had his terrible way with her. And when he Lee was very rigid cognitively. And I give some examples of this in the book, Like she would get on the bus and she'd say, you have to stop right here where the bus driver always stopped, but no, the bus driver had a new mandate and he couldn't. And she went crazy because it had to be just on the line. So imagine if a guy, a John wanted something that was way out of line to her or took it without her consents, she would get pretty enraged. I mean but really very enraged, not normally enraged. So Mallory was in that category, and she finally, most miraculously decided to save her own life because she figured he was not only to kill her, but she said, he's going to dissect me or some weird stuff. So she managed in a split second to get to her shopping bag in which she kept her gun, and she started shooting, and he didn't stop coming at her, and she kept shooting. Unlike a male serial killer. She covered his body up so that it wouldn't be pecked at by birds, and she didn't want to run over him, so she then drove his car, took whatever trophies or money he had in the car, lied to Tyrea and said, well, you know a friend of mine. You let me the car, we have to keep it out of side. His wife will get jealous. Whatever story she made up. And for a while she didn't go right back to work. She was spooked. What happened spooked her, and as I said before, she couldn't go to the police, so she just drank a whole lot and continued on with life as she knew it to be. So Mallory was really bad guy, and as in his treatment of women. And he had an ex girlfriend, Jackie Davis, who was willing to testify to this. But of course, quote the dead man is not on trial. So in so many different ways, the trial was not just or fair. And when you compare it to the trials of male serial killers, oh there's no comparison, because they who kill mainly prostitutes between seventeen to one hundred women, they will get life sentences, not necessarily execution, legal execution, and it takes the juries a while to make these decisions, like in Ted Bundy's case, also in Florida, but in Mornos's case, they decided very quickly guilty unanimously in one hour and a half and death sentence in another hour and a half. You know, so being perceived. After the defense asked for a change of venue, they were not granted that Ted Bundy was granted a change of venue to Miami from where he was first on trial. And everyone had been reading all about everything that she had done and the depiction. I was told by feminists in Florida who worked with rape victims and battered women, you know they're.
Speaker 5: Going to fry her.
Speaker 3: For every woman that joined the National Organization of Women in Florida. She's going to pay the price because she's not just a prostitute. She's a lesbian prostitute. This is unheard of in this area, in these areas, these counties of Florida, which are not cosmopolitan Miami. Everybody's gay, everything is happy, everything goes. These are much more traditional areas, and I'm not judging them. That doesn't mean it's bad at all. It's just that it would view someone like her as a swamp creature from hell. And she's the real Thelma and Louise. Before the movie opened, she was there doing this before all the films that have since been cheered on with women assassins, batted, wives who kill. Finally, there's a huge number of films that have now made it into the common culture, and she preceded most of them, which is kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: Wow, preceding Hollywood in that fantasy world. But let's talk about Tyrie, because really it's it's not fair to compare. I mean, except in a couple of ways with Bundy. The trial, Bundy didn't have a Tyria Moore.
Speaker 3: Bundy, Are you kidding? He had so many fans and he married somebody who bore his child.
Speaker 2: No, that's not what I mean. That's not what I mean. What I mean is that what I mean is that you have you have this incredible thing to overcome in terms of a rape defense, where even if it were proven to Richard Mallory, were it was self defense in that case, that it was based on her confession. Now, what I'm saying is that this case is completely complicated by having Tyrea in there, and then the approach by police, and then of course the phone calls in the confession and the reason for the confession that Lee says and admits that that was the reason for her confession. So what I'm saying is it's it's much different when you have the pressure on Tyrea after she is told and we didn't mention this, she is told by Lee that she has killed Richard Mallory. Let's talk about the Let's talk about the relationship with Tyrea and Lee after Richard Mallory, and then what happens in terms of behavior and conduct from Lee before we lead, before we find out where the police finally catch up with these people based on composite drawings, and then that pressure on Tyrea changes everything, doesn't it.
Speaker 3: I think that Tyria didn't believe her. She thought she was the biggest liar and a bullshit artist. Are excellent, That's what Tyrea told me. But eventually she began to think it might be true because Lee would come back to their motel room or their lodging and she'd have another car, and she'd have a want of cash, and she'd have a ring, maybe big size mail ring. So I think over time Tyrea actually got scared. She wasn't right away again, but she eventually got scared and she went back to her family. She had a very large family, and Lee was totally broken up about this. And then the cops found Tyrea and basically threatened her with arrest, conspiracy. She knew about it, and she didn't come forward. She's going to be tried for murder. And to get out of it, she had a start calling Lee, which she did, and they taped the calls. There was a wire tap from the jail. Lee kept saying, wait a minute, wait a minute, is this being taped? Are you really in trouble? And Tyria, reading her lines that the police gave her, said, oh baby, you know they're coming after me. They're coming after my family. I didn't do anything. This is not right, and eventually lisaid, don't worry, I'll take care of it. So I call that chapter a fool for love. I mean, she confessed for love, and Tyria not only helped entrap her to save her own skin, But I mean Tyria was seen, not ditch. She was seen driving wildly in one of the cars, and then they had an accident. She was witnessed, so she was culpable, and she was legitimately frightened and was willing to turn on Lee to get the heat off her. And she did not commit the murders, presumably anyway. So what made Lee crazy was not Tyrea's betrayal. What made her crazy was that the cops allegedly were cutting deals for a movie before they captured her, and Tyrea was in on it. So Lee's presiding obsession thereafter was the crooked cops. Sometimes she'd say, what she wrote this law review article or whatever I wrote about her case, It was very good, but you got to get the cops. You got to get the cops, you know, And what does that mean? That means the authority figures the police officers who in her past would have said listen, I'm a cop and you're gonna give me sex or I'm gonna arrest you and I'm not going to pay you. Right. So she saw the cops in general and authority figures in general as corrupt and wanted to get them, and this was one of her main obsessions after she was captured. So Kyria, she got scared and the cops had her, and the cops used her and it worked.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about this dream team and what you were tempting to do and how you were trying to do that with these expert witnesses, but also that, yeah, let's talk about that that what you tempted to do in the team that you assembled to be able.
Speaker 1: To do that.
Speaker 3: What our hope was was that if a jury could understand how violent prostitution is and how if they could understand what one rape could do to a woman, imagine being raped every day a quarter of a million times in your life or more, you could jump out of your mind, you could not know any more where you are, You could decide finally to fight back. All of these are possible. But a jury uneducated would never get that ever, and they didn't. So was Lee already so drunk she didn't know what she was doing. Well, to some extent, yeah, you could say that was she so permanently traumatized and angry and super vigilant. I mean, Tyrieus said that Lee would never let anyone get anything over on her, And that was a very important sentence for me because when I profiled her the kind of serial killer she is, she unlike male serial killers, didn't go for vulnerable, younger, smaller people like girls and women. No. No, she punched up. It's unheard of. Yeah, she punched up, and that means she went for men who were taller and heavier and to some extent older but not always a lot older than she was, and she took them down. This unheard of. So she was always angry and always arguing, and she picked fights with everyone. Tyrea said it was too embarrassing to be in public with her, so when they went out to a bar together, Tyrea was totally but silent, said nothing, talk to no one, and we would often embarrass them. So what does this tell us about about Lee? Warnos tells us that she's got a borderline personality, which is the diagnosis for an incest victim. It tells us that she's got a not necessarily a sociopathic personality, but a borderline personality and a social personality disorder. She didn't know the rules at all of straight life. Nothing. She couldn't conduct herself civilly. She didn't know the rules when she made her confession. And I watched it and I read it a number of times. It was a video. She fought these cops for her John's like her friends. They offered her coffee, they offered her cigarettes, and she was just now beginning to detox from alcohol lifetime's worth. And she was so soft spoken and husky voiced, and she really was acting. She thought these guys were go to help her. She didn't know why she would need a lawyer. She goes, I'm going to tell you the truth. What do I need a lawyer for? And they did not provide one until very late in that confession. So let me tell you. Well, maybe I shouldn't say all of it, but she's There are a lot of women who are as abused as Aileen Mornos was. They don't become serial killers. They may go down softly and slowly or fast, but they don't kill anyone. She did. And there's many women who are serial killers. She's not the first one. She's a unique one, but not the first. And they're known as black widows. I'm sure you know this. And they will kill husband after husband or aging patient after aging patient for insurance policy money or real property. And they will also kill girls who they lure into prostitution if they try to run away sometimes if they don't. So women kill it's not as if we was the first ever. But unlike male serial killers, she didn't do this for sexual reasons, and she didn't pick on men because she wanted to mutilate them and pose them and obscene positions. She's the one that covered their bodies and didn't want to run over them by accident. So she may have been really angry at men in the way that male serial killers are permanently angry at women who they think are prostitutes, and they hate being dependent on women and want to triumph over female sexuality and birth giving capacities. But she didn't organize her kills, and I had a theory of what may have happened after the first one with Richard Mallory, So what she did was unique. You don't you don't have women going around or prostitutes. Some may have killed a temple John. There are some historical examples I give, but it's very rare and it's not as you pointed out seven and the men who who le killed three with John's. The others may not have been The others may have committed a cardinal error of she needed their money, she needed to eat, she had to pay the rent. Right, but they didn't want sex with her, They didn't want to give her their money. That could have been her own personal demented Affirmative action program right, so that but some of them were John's because their bodies were were naked or naked from the waist down, or in Mallory's case, you wouldn't take off his clothes, but his belt and his pants were twisted to the side. So and she didn't do this. So she's a unique serial killer.
Speaker 2: That Jesus has an opportunity to stop for just for a second, for these messages.
Speaker 1: It is Ryan here, and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 4: Like are you a fist pumper, a wooer, a handclapp or a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves. Check out Chumback Casino at chumbacasino dot com. Choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prize. There are new game releases weekly plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at shumba Casino dot com.
Speaker 5: No need. Everybody lost the terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 2: Now you talked about the trial and she'd never got to break her whole life, and she never got to break at trial. She never got a break with the prosecutor. You talked about his fervent prosecution, Trish, like you said, never the prosecutor a pardon me. The defense attorney never called any of your expert witnesses whatsoever in this trial.
Speaker 3: But that may not mean that she threw the case. It may mean that Lee was just too difficult to clients. It may mean that Trish couldn't see your way through, she couldn't think out of the box. I means she is one of the boys who is used to representing men who rape and men who kill women mainly, and here was a woman. What was she going to How is she going to handle this? If she won would her position be and I'm just guessing this, this may not be true. What would her position be in among the Old Boys network that she's part of. She's got off the die Korps. Where's the win and net? And also, although I think that Lee was a credible and sympathetic witness on her own behalf, she, as I said, doesn't stop cursing. And in my opinion, by the time they executed her, she was legally insane. I said to her, you know, long before this, you could do an insanity defense, and she was very insulted and she said, never, I won't you know you? I said, I think you qualify. But she didn't want that, and there was a she didn't want people prying into her mind or finding fault with her minds. It was interesting thing. And do I think that it would have worked? Not sure. I'm sure Trisha thought of this also when Lee refused to do it. Do I think that any statemental asylum like Chattahoochee in Florida would ever have let her out? No? I don't think so, and they would have drugged her up. But good however, to be then on death row in isolation for so many years, it made it crazy. It makes a lot of I mean, she both found God, she found Christ, and she went crazy. They were poisoning her food. There were sonic graves coming into her head. The lawyers who good meaning folk got for her, they were against her. They were part of the CIA, or the FBI or out of space. And I thought, you know, we're not supposed to execute the insane. Am I wrong?
Speaker 2: I was going to ask this question. This is reading this book has given me this question. You see the again, she's a public defender, Trish, and she can't afford but one expert witness for the seven Trials that Iden will be a leader, will be going. We're undergoing. And so how important was that two of those victims after Richard Mallory were law enforcement And how important was it that the women were adamant and some of these guys had reputations, they were successful people, that they were adamant not to besmirch those people's reputations. How important was the first law enforcement may be involved?
Speaker 3: Importance? I would say it was important, But remember Lee, the outlaw is the kind of outlaw that Americans become fans of, like Billieve the kids, or there's an untold number of cults that follow killers, murderers of large numbers of human beings. So she represented, mythically someone who was meant to die unknown, but who became famous for killing and warners has a lot of fans. I was very surprised to discover this. I was not a fan. I was a feminist, abolitionist who wanted to have certain principles understood a lot better in our world. And ask me.
Speaker 2: Another question, the idea that she again that I don't know if she's a folk hero, but I know that what I have seen and I have not looked at this except just with posting about this program, that there was a lot of sympathy. There are many people have gone out of the way to express that she had this horrible life and never had a chance. Right from the beginning. This is the kind of sentiment that's expressed about Lee.
Speaker 3: Warno's not in the courtroom. Not in the courtroom, and Trish, you're right, she had. Trish did not handle any of the other cases. Because of how the first trial ended up, Lee decided, with her unerring inter thing to make always the wrong decision for herself. She allowed a really creepy lawyer to take her cases over, and she pled them out. She was not going to try. She was not going to go on trial again because she saw that there would be no justice for Harwai Wei's time, and she thought that she could then die, that she'll just tell the state of Floria to kill her. I said, no, no, once they have you, it's up to them when not you. But she didn't understand that. So Trish did have an Elizabeth McMahon, a doctor psychologist, and she had another witness who did refer to her limited and primitive childlike being and to her bad breaks in life. But it made no difference. It made no difference at all. That jury wasn't going to buy into any you know, there can't be true justice without some mercy. She didn't get any mercy, and many prostitutes don't. When male serial killers kill them, we don't even learn their names. We just remember the names of their killers. So and you know, Trisha also referred to her hard childhood and her hard life. It made no difference. Tanna portrayed her successfully as a quote predatory prostitute whose quote appetite for lust and control had taken a lethal term, as someone who and this is really rich who quote had been exercising control for years over then and who quote killed for power, for full and ultimate control. End of quote. I'm quoting him directly. So this was why I wanted a jury to learn what prostitution is and what prostitution does. They didn't have that opportunity.
Speaker 2: What about the effects. I always wondered about this as well. She has never done any serious crime, petty crime. She's been convicted of crimes that were just blunders. He works for limited funds. You know, her services don't fetch incredible amount of money. No, she doesn't own anything and has never lived anywhere and believes survival is well it is for her just day to day at a motel which he's always scraping together funds, has no car, like I say it resents that has a bicycle, And she's doing all these things because she finally has a love in her life of someone that accepts her. They hang around with each other all the time, they hang out. How important was this at some point these Again I won't dispute of Richard Mallory and her self defense, but at some point is it at least a factor that she wants to please and provide for her lover.
Speaker 3: Well, that's what Lee said, and that's what she believed to be true. Tyrea told me the opposite, and I truly I think Lee wouldn't have given up hooking no matter what, because this was her forte, this was her game, this was her survival, this was what she was used to. These were fake relationships that may have been as close as she could come to a real relationship, and so I don't think she would have given up hooking. But I do think that Tyrea may indeed have me telling me the truth, saying, look, I didn't wanted to do it. I told her to stop, she wouldn't stop. I would have worked two jobs, but the two jobs that Tyria would have worked wouldn't have brought in as much money as Lee could bring it. Not that that was a huge sum, but Tyrea unskilled labor, you know, cleaning motel rooms, maybe working a cash register. I don't know. So I think both things are true, and they are opposite truths. What I wanted to say about cult followings, even though I do write about it, because I was shocked to discover it that Wikipedia in the entry for her birthplace Troy, Michigan, lists her as one of their notable people, along with a whole of check it out, Hall of Fame baseball player, a Tony Award winning actor, an HL defenseman, a pit you know. So she's come a kind of folk hero. Even though her life was sordid and tragic and beyond agonizing, she's now a folk hero and people are buying on Etsy T shirts with her image on it and dirt where her ashes were scattered under a tree in Michigan. I mean, it's it's unbelievable.
Speaker 2: But what is the what is the what is the attention, what is the what is the focus of their admiration?
Speaker 3: They view her as an outlaw and nobody who was meant to die anonymously, but who instead became a somebody, a woman who gave the royal finger to authority, who even took down cops. She was a biker style rebel. That's and people are going to the last resort at the bar where she was arrested and where she hung out, and they have destination vacations at the mote which is now renamed that she once lived at. So that's another whole discussion that we could have. What is really going on there?
Speaker 2: I'm sure the Monster movie with the Charlie's thereon help that mythology along its way.
Speaker 3: And thereon as a brilliant actress, and she impersonated her body language very very well, but didn't get inside her. And of course the character played by Christina Ricki is nothing like the real Tyreea.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not in this. I know it's hard to do and it's impossible to do, really, but you do attempt to sort of analyze this because you say you immediately didn't think of her as a serial killer. You thought of it as a platform to be able to express some revolutionary ideas. But in the end she was a serial killer. What end analysis for you? If there can be?
Speaker 3: Well? Like Anne Rule, I am haunted by this fact. Ann Rule, the Great Late Ann Rule wrote about Ted Bundy. She was once his friend. She couldn't believe who he really turned out to be. So I, in my way, who looked at her as a victim. You wanted to use her for political purpose, to help women, womankind and justice, and only gradually came to understand, oh, hey, hey, she's a serial killer and I was close to a serial killer. That's kind of interesting. I mean that's terrifying. I'm new to true crime. Now I'm committed, but this is the first such book I've ever written. So I managed to block out until it was utterly necessary for me to look at what she had done and try to explain why and how she had done this. So for me, it was an adventure in figuring it all.
Speaker 2: Out before I let you go, tell us a fascinating story of how many years it took you, why it took nineteen years, tell us that agreement you had with yourself.
Speaker 3: Well, I really wanted to make a difference in terms of her trial and when I couldn't, and I wrote several op ed pieces and then a couple of law review articles. I'm not a lawyer, but I did that, and I put it aside. We had a correspondence and I published some of our letters in a chapter. I call them love letters. And I didn't want to. Trish was surrounded by media and she didn't trust anyone, and she thought that I would also write something immediately and blow her case. And I said, I'll sign, I'll sign a legal document. You know that I won't do anything, you know, for twenty years or until after everything is over, And whatever that made mean, and she didn't have me do it, but I don't think she ever trusted me, and I set it aside. I had other things to do. I wrote many, many other books during this time, and then literally as I was renovating my apartment, a box fell off the shelf. I opened it and in it were about five chapters that I'd written long ago, and I couldn't put it down. It was wonderful. I said, Oh, my God, and how timely and how burning these issues still are. And then I resurrected my entire Warnos archive, which meant they were on floppy discs. I had to convert them and then print them out. And then I read every scrap the vois Deer of the jury, every legal document I could lay my hands on, every other book written about her, magazine articles, and then the interviews. I interviewed everybody, and I have transcripts of the interviews. And then I realize, Okay, now I'm going to do it. And as I was doing it from twenty nineteen to twenty twenty, you know, part of the time Quarantines, I understood how unique she was as a serial killer. I didn't pay close attention before I was writing round the clock intensely for a year. So that's why it took so long, because I really put it out of mind, out of sight. I let it go for a while.
Speaker 2: Well, it was well worth the wait. I want to thank you so much for coming on and talking about Requiem for a Female Serial Killer. It's going to be released tomorrow. Is that not correct? And can you tell us about your website as well?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yes, w W W Phyllis p h y l l I S DASH or hyphen c h E s l e R. It's out there and I've got some very very nice endorsements to this book up on my homepage, and hopefully there'll be some reviews and I'll have that up soon enough to.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, it's a brilliant offering. I want to thank you so much for coming on and talking about Requiem for a Female serial Killer. It's a brilliant, brilliant offering. Thank you so much, Phyllis Chessler. It's been Hello.
Speaker 4: It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumpa casino dot com. I looked over the person sitting next to me, and you know, what they were doing, they were also playing Umbacas. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chumba Casino's home to hundreds of casino style games that you can play for free, anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet. So sign up now at Chumbuckcasino dot com to claim you're free welcome bonus, that's Chumbuck Casino dot com and live the Chumba line.
Speaker 5: No necessary dlpod wherever if I lost the terms and conditions eighteen plus absolute pleasure.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, bye bye, good night,