Speaker 1: Hear me, oh, hear me, oh paied the Lord, the Lord Jehovah has given unto you.
Speaker 2: He's fifteen.
Speaker 1: Hey, ten ten commandments fall to pay. Welcome to this special passover episode of Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. Passover Sadyers can be a drag, long, slow, repetitive, inscrutable, leaving attendees young and old snoring to the finish line. Of course, that wasn't the case when the sator was held at Sid Caesar's house, with a guest list that included mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Richard Lewis, Laney Kazan, Theodore Bikel, Connie Stevens, Monty Hall, Arthur Hiller, Jeff Ross, and today's guest, I'm Jonathan Friedman.
Speaker 3: And I'm Joey Angelfield.
Speaker 1: Producer engineer Mike Tomren is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of a Dad Javerin, Congregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West, and Atheist United Studios.
Speaker 3: We're excited to chat again with Rena Strober, a Broadway television film and voice actor who's currently working on a memoir singing for Sid and other Wow moments. Rena, welcome back to amusing Jews.
Speaker 4: Thank you. You guys have not aged a bit.
Speaker 3: That's so nice of you to say so. Rena, tell us how'd you get to know the legendary said Caesar.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it just gets more and more Jewish.
Speaker 4: I was doing a musical review in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: I just moved to LA from New York in twenty twelve or twenty thirteen, and Jason Legs and cast me in a.
Speaker 4: Musical review called when You're in Love.
Speaker 2: The Whole World is Jewish, based on the Bob Booker albums A fear of that age. There were these records that sort of broke down the traditional Jewish jokes into scenes, and Jason directed sort of a stage version of it. And I just moved from New York where I had a lot of cool things going on in my life, and one of them was I was a member of the Friars Club because.
Speaker 4: I am obsessed with old Jewish men. Not obsessed. I think I am an old Jewish man. Let's just say that.
Speaker 2: Born and raised in the Catskills, I'm a borsch belt person. So in my bio it's talked about stuff I'd done, and then it said I was a member of the Friars Club. And afterwards at adorable couple came over to me and they said, oh my god, you were great.
Speaker 4: We used to run the Friars Club. Here, would you want to meet Sid Caesar?
Speaker 2: And I was like, I had been stalking Sid at Factors Deli every Wednesday for good six months because he was meeting his.
Speaker 4: Writers there every Wednesday.
Speaker 2: I've loved Sid Caesar since Greece, History of the World. And then I got to know Caesar's hour, and I knew that he had not met anyone in at least in a year or so, because he was sort of house bound and getting older. But this couple said that they were his caretakers and would.
Speaker 4: I want to go up and meet him? And they'd never done this before, but something about me because.
Speaker 5: I'm an old Jewish man, So yes, I said, And the next day I was given the address and I met Arthur Hiller actually in the driveway and we walked in and there was Sid in a hospital bed.
Speaker 2: Giant, He's still a giant, giant, hand giant, eyebrows, and Arthur sat down next to him, and Arthur just started crying, actually because the Sid looked.
Speaker 4: Very old and frail and sort of not there. And I stood and I let the men just have a moment.
Speaker 2: And then lou this friend said, Brina sick because I sung in the show for Jason, sing for him, sang for him.
Speaker 4: My whole life, I've been forced to sing in funny situations. But so I started to sing.
Speaker 2: Sid's eyes popped open and his giant eyebrows went up, and he looked to me and and in like a gravelly voice, he said, oh wow, which is the name of the book I'm working on? And he started to sing No very long.
Speaker 4: There actual, and everyone was sort of shocked a bit.
Speaker 2: And to make a long story short, for a year, I went by his house every week and I sat next to him, and I sang, and I sang Gershwin and Rogers and Hart and Hammerstein, and the me music started to bring him back, and he then in return would tell me stories and I sort of became part of the meshbucha and I was there a lot, and Mel and Carl would go on other days. We all had our days that we went, and the village loved him and took care of him.
Speaker 1: I know the era died in the Wold in New Yorker and La is still not one hundred percent comfortable for you. What is the difference or what was the difference between the Friars Club in New York and in LA.
Speaker 2: I never went to the Friars Club here from what I know, because the New York Club made the La Club shut down many years ago.
Speaker 4: The New York Club was very exclusive.
Speaker 2: You could only walk through those doors if you were a member or with a member. We were fairly strict about it. And for those who don't know the Friars Club, we did the roasts, all the famous roasts we had. Milton Burrell left his five story townhouse to us on fifty fifth and actually all just shut down and it's gone. But during the Hey today there were the roasts and Freddie Roman. We would have lunch there, we would have chopped liver, Happy Hour. I sang there every week.
Speaker 4: But it was exclusive. It was a club for entertainers.
Speaker 2: I say I brought the average age down to seventy because it was mostly old people.
Speaker 4: Then there was Jeff Ross and me and a few other people. So the one in La.
Speaker 2: Was open to everybody sort of towards the end, and I think that was the problem.
Speaker 4: Anyone could go sort of as a restaurant.
Speaker 1: Enjoining the show, click like and subscribe. So how did you end up doing a passover Satyr with Sid Caesar.
Speaker 4: I'd heard that his satyrs were famous.
Speaker 2: Him and Florence were very social people, and they had this beautiful house in Beverly Hills, and they were infamous for throwing a second I think it was mostly the second night Satyr.
Speaker 4: And I'd heard that.
Speaker 2: Sid would only talk in his gibberish, and these were famous satyrs, and at this point I don't know.
Speaker 4: If they had been doing them, but we decided to bring it back. That year.
Speaker 2: It was his actually final satyr. I did two there, but the following year he had already passed away. So he was there in a jar with his wife in a jar and his dog in a jar.
Speaker 4: And I say that lighthearted because he would love that.
Speaker 2: But the year that he was there, Theo Biquel, who had just played My Father and Fiddler on the Roof.
Speaker 4: I was on the national tour with.
Speaker 2: Topel and Theo came in to fill in so I knew the Theo, So me and THEO sort of put this satyr together for Sid and all of his friends. And I was the youngest by far, so I got to sing the four Questions for the first time in decades. So these satyrs were infamous, and they had about twenty people. It was catered at from Brent's Delhi and they were the same people. And just a few moments that I want to share is mante Hall, who was one of the kindest, Like I knew him a little bit, but he is such a Nashama like he all he wanted to do was the Schehriano, Like can I please do the cheriano? Like that meant so much to him.
Speaker 4: And he did it. We would have dinner parties there too.
Speaker 2: We had a dinner for Sids ninetieth, his ninety first and this satyr and and MANTSTI always.
Speaker 4: Wanted to bring the cheeriano.
Speaker 2: So I just I always love that. And like you said, Lady Kazan was across from me. Connie Stevens Artie Butler, theo bikel who's just I mean. I did fiddler with him when he was eighty six. And this is a man who's eighty nine at the time, who at first feels very old, and then when he opens his mouth to saying, he goes back to his forties. It's it's magical, magical. He had an old, old Yiddish hagada. He's all so incredibly progressive. He sounds like he wouldn't be, but the orange was there on the satyr plate. He challenged every story, he challenged every cashrew rule. He had a laptop on the table because he had just met this woman and in India, so he had her face timing on there like and uh and.
Speaker 4: Mel brooks Uh was what I called Melijah.
Speaker 2: He was a few minutes late, and so we left a chair for Melijah. And then I was because I was the youngest, and I sat to theo's left, and I had to do the four questions, And so before beforehand, I thought, well.
Speaker 4: I have to make this night different from all other nights.
Speaker 2: And I rewrote the four questions to the tune of Pardon, Pardon Me Miss, which was Sid's big song on Broadway and from Little Mee.
Speaker 4: And then I did too too.
Speaker 2: If I were a rich man, I actually was to do the fourth one to springtime for Hitler in honor of mel But I was.
Speaker 4: Like, maybe maybe not the best choice. So I did if I were a rich man, and pardon me miss to the four questions.
Speaker 3: It sounds like it was more of a secular cultural event than a religious one.
Speaker 2: Well, I will preface this by saying, I think in that room, if they, if these were people who knew what humanistic Judaism was, they would sign up. Mel would always say, you know, there's no He would say there's no mel Brooks without Sidsey's, or there's only Melvin Kaminski. And then he would talk about how he was raised by Jewish parents, but he wasn't a religious Jew. He was a cultural Jew. And I think that went for everybody in the room. Maybe Monty Hall was probably your more religious Jew. Rabbi Jerry Cutler, may he rest in peace.
Speaker 4: May his memory be for a blessing who passed away just last month. He was the rabbi there reform rabbi.
Speaker 2: Though this was a culture event, this was a ritual Even to theo Bakel, it felt very ritualistic in what's on the sat or plate.
Speaker 4: Whenever we said why, you know, why is this night different from all others?
Speaker 2: Mel Brooks would scream because we wait so long to eat, Like the people were just yelling things out and Sid was not doing it this time, but he was known to just do the whole Hagada in Gibberish, like he would tell the story of the Exodus in Gibberish. I'm sure most of these people hadn't been to a satyr, probably in a long time, but this gave them this sense of connection the food, the bris kit. Even like in this book that recently came out about Sid Caesar, my quote that they use was when I walked in, it smelled of shallamar and chop liver. It's this old feeling and this old smell, and but that's what it was about.
Speaker 4: And to me, I think that's what Passover is about.
Speaker 2: Ninety nine point nine percent of homes, that it's about these rituals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Passover is the most celebrated of the Jewish holidays in the United States. And partly it's for all the reasons that you're mentioning that it is self directed. You don't really need a rabbi, even though there was a rabbi there who I'm sure was just enjoying being around all these legends just as viewer. But it can be done however you want to do it. You can do it in gibberish, you can do it quickly, you can do it with a lot of sarcasm and humor, which is I think something that outsiders don't necessarily understand about the Satyr, that it really is kind of a choose your own adventure cultural event. More than anything else.
Speaker 2: It really reflected who those people were in the room, and everybody had a voice.
Speaker 4: We were at three round no no, I was.
Speaker 2: At a rectangle table in the front, and then there were like two round tables I think.
Speaker 4: But it was a big event. I mean it was loud.
Speaker 2: People are screaming, Landy's yelling whatnot, and and uh, you know.
Speaker 4: Jeff Ross was just I've never seen him so quiet.
Speaker 2: I knew him from New York in the Friars Club, but he was in a state of awe.
Speaker 4: Just watching all of these these legends.
Speaker 2: I mean, I tell people, if I ever have a like, if you ever have one of those dreams where you're sitting at a table with all of your heroes, you.
Speaker 4: Know, and then you wake up like that was this for me.
Speaker 2: I just was like, how how am I at a Jewish event, which I love with these people like I would not choose anyone else to be at a satyr with.
Speaker 4: And then at one point mel Brooks called me over.
Speaker 2: I hadn't really spent a lot of time with him yet, and he has me sit down, and I was like, I mean, he is he's my hush em.
Speaker 4: I pray to mel Brooks and.
Speaker 2: He said, so, I heard you're coming by weekly to sing to Sid and I said yeah, and you know and I said to him, I know he told me the joke or the story the other day that when he hung you out the window in Chicago.
Speaker 4: And he goes, what do you mean he told you that story? I said, well, we just.
Speaker 2: Finished singing all of show Boat, and then he started to tell me that story, and he got very sort of quiet, and he took my face in his hands, and I was like, oh my god, Oh my god, what is happening. And he kissed me on my forehead and he just sort of blessed me, uh like I don't know how Moses felt when he had his stuff going on, but this was this was biblical.
Speaker 4: He thanked me because mel and Sid and Carl were a trio, and then when Sid was the first one to really succumb to age and dementia in a way.
Speaker 2: I don't want to use that word medically because I don't know if that was the diagnosis, but it really affected them.
Speaker 4: It affected Carl really hard that he didn't come by a lot during the weekend. He more.
Speaker 2: But mel had a hard time seeing his best friend slowly die, and so he kissed my forehead and just thanked me, and I was like, I need nothing else in life.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask about that. It seems like this is a peak experience and any other Satyr or any other event at all is going to pale in comparison for the rest of your life. Like how is that sort of dealing with having that experience and then having to do so many other things afterwards, you know.
Speaker 4: I mean, I walk into Satyrs and I'm like, where's mel Brooks? Because if he's not here, I'm leaving.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't even go to Satyrs anymore after that.
Speaker 2: I sometimes I think about it as a fever dream. I'm like, did that just happen? Like, speaking of Monty Hall, his daughter's Joanna Gleeson, one of my favorite Broadway actresses, and I always sort of quote her into the woods. She goes, what was that was that me? That him?
Speaker 4: Did a prince really kiss me?
Speaker 2: That's jo Wanna Gleeson And I sometimes go into that, but I am like a seven year old.
Speaker 4: I don't know. You guys know this.
Speaker 2: I get so excited by everything. So I still get so excited to do a sator.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I have my daughter now, who's going to be nine next month, and I get to pass down traditions to her.
Speaker 4: I get to watch herbie board and try to leave the table. But you're right, it'll never compare.
Speaker 2: But I also can compartmentalize a bit and honor that and not expect another one because the fact that I had one of those in a lifetime, and then I had his ninetieth I had was part of his funeral planning, unfortunately, slash fortunately. And then the following year we all met again, everybody met again, and had that satyr in which I led a lot more of it.
Speaker 4: THEO wasn't there.
Speaker 2: I think he was on his honeymoon, and so I got to lead it and that was very meaningful, sort of almost closure to end, you know, and knowing that Sid and Florence and Carlin his dog, were there. And it's been a while, but I hold it, you know, I hold it in my heart.
Speaker 3: And yeah, well that's, you know, a really wonderful story that I've now heard you tell a couple of times, Rena, and it gets better every time I hear it. I want to take pieces of it into my statter this year. But can you tell us a little more about your memoir and what we can expect from it.
Speaker 2: I hope it's normal that memoirs take a long time, because I started writing my story with Sid the year he died and we're talking twenty thirteen, because I didn't want to forget a thing. He imparted a lot of wisdom despite people not thinking he was there. He talked to me about love, He talked to me about writing, He talked to me about comedy, all because of music. And so I have all these stories and so, but believe it or not, Sid Caesar was one of many wonderfully random, powerful men that entered my life. Sid and mel But so I started writing these stories because I want people, first of all, not to forget about him. I want generations to know why they have the sitcom like Sid Caesar is the reason we have comedy on television, and I want him to be remembered for that. I also am writing this book to encourage people to talk to octogenarians. I don't just like celebrities at all, Like I have an affinity for people who have lived in our eighties and nineties.
Speaker 4: It's why I loved the Friars Club.
Speaker 2: Actually, I would sit with this old man, his name was Richard and he was a dentist. He was sponsored to be in the Friars Club and I would spend hours listening to stories. And I want the book to encourage people to open in those conversations. And then it actually goes a little bit into my time at REOs, which is a whole other story, but about other legendary older men that came into my life. And that was a mob mobsters, older mobsters. But my life has had this weird rollercoaster in and out of these stories that because I always say, don't write if you don't have anything to write about, you know, And between Sid and the Friars Club and REOs, I want to encourage people to look beyond age and see story and then see change.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much, Rina, for joining us. We look forward to reading your memoir eventually.
Speaker 4: I'm going to do it. It's going to happen.
Speaker 1: It's going to happen, and to our audience. Now back to your regularly scheduled lives.
Speaker 3: Amusing Jews is here to amuse you. If you like being amused, go ahead and click like and subscribe,