Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, Nicole. As always, yeah, quiet sports night. The Bruins need a little time to recoup here. My name is Dan Ray. I don't need any time to recoup. It's only been twenty hours since we were last together just before midnight last night, and here we are for a Wednesday night vision of Nightside. We have four great guests, interesting topics coming up in the eight o'clock hour. Before we get to them, let me tell you Rob Brooks is back in the control room. And my name is Dan Ray, the aforementioned Dan Ray of Knightside with Dan Ray. Very appropriate. I guess we were in our eighteenth year here on wb Z, which is a proud iHeartRadio station, a legendary radio station on the year since nineteen twenty one, not twenty twenty one, but nineteen twenty one. And by the way, we will do our eighteenth annual college admissions panel. We've done that now. This will be our eighteenth consecutive year with Bill Fitzsimmons, the legendary admissions director from Harvard University. In Grant Goslin, a Boston College dean of admissions admissions director. The titles change a little bit. But if you have anyone who is beginning to think about going to college, Okay, I'm talking kids freshman, sophomore, they should be listening and their parents should be listening to but they'll get all sorts of tips on how to get into the school that you would prefer, what different type schools are out there, what schools are looking for, and also how to finance that education. So that will be on Monday night, December ninth. That's not the first Monday after thanks after Thanksgiving, but the second Monday. Now we are going to go to our first hour tonight, which is the night Side News Update, and joining us to talk about people who are dealing with either mental illness or get depressed around the holidays. Most people enjoy the holiday and they look forward to the holidays, but not everyone. So with us is doctor Mark Longs Joe. He is a licensed social worker program director at McLain Hospital. Dr Longs Joe, Welcome to NIGHTSID. How are you tonight, sir?
Speaker 3: Hello Dan Ray, nice to talk with you, and please just refer to me as Mark. I know doctor with my name. I'm a social worker and proud of it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, when it says doctor on the the piece of paper that I have, I always But that's fine, we'll leave it at Mark as well. You call me Dan, Okay, tell us what's going on here, because I know that over the course of my lifetime, particularly you know, when I was single, you have a breakup with a girlfriend or something like that and be a lonely Christmas time. But there are people who every year, as they go through life, have a tougher time dealing with the holidays. And I read that article that you folks had produced from McLean's and found that it was not only sixty four percent of individuals, according to the National Alliance of Mendale Illness living with mental Illness that believe that their conditions worseen around the holidays, but thirty eight percent of the entire population. I had no idea that many people we're having that sort of reaction. As the year was ending and the bells were ringing and people were singing and all that. It's counterintuitive.
Speaker 3: Mark tell us, why, Oh, that's right, Dan, that's right. It is counterintuitive. You'd like to think of this as the merriest time of year, but when really it's filled with some of the most pressure. If you really think about what we have to deal with during this time of year. There's so many expectations. Everybody wants the perfect holiday season, and we're reminded of all of the expectations as we go through life and think about, well, this is going to be the best holiday ever. But we know that the expectations have to be set in reality and oftentimes, especially like at this particular time, just a week before Thanksgiving, it's a really important time to think about how to plan ahead for what really is a very pressure filled season. As happy as it is, there are a lot of different pressures, whether it be you know, go ahead in but you know.
Speaker 2: I can identify with what you're saying. There's pressures depending upon who you need to consider buying gifts for. And you know, if you purchase a gift for if you're a single and you purchase a gift for someone that's over the top, does that send them? You know, you've got to find the gift that fits the moment in time. How many gifts do you get for your kids when you have kids? What do you do about gifts for grandchildren, which we're beginning to think about or are thought about now for a couple of years. Some parents will say, well, no, no, one gift is so you have all of that, and people who who don't have that family that surrounds them and that has to be difficult as well. I mean, this is much more complicated that I think I anticipated when I was discussing this with my producer today, and obviously you've studied it for a long time. What can people do if they're feeling down? I mean, do they just accept it and say, Hey, that's the circumstances that I'm in and next year it might be better. Or did they just say, hey, here's what I can do. I can watch the Three Stooges marathon all day or something or bad Santo kind of a cultural.
Speaker 3: Well, you're right, you're right, and there are so many people who are stuck in loneliness and it's a very sad situation. And what we encourage to do is really take an inventory of what are the activities that make them happy? And sometimes it's hard to find one or two, but if we can, if we can find one or two activities and really surround ourselves with people, places and things that just make us feel a little bit better. That's one place to start. And you know, it is a really difficult season because you look around and sometimes when when somebody's lonely and they look around and they see all these other people happy, it makes them feel like they're an outcast, that this is not normal. Well, I'm here tonight to also talk about how it is normal to feel like that. It is difficult to sometimes get into that holiday spirit, and so I try to encourage people to really check themselves, take an inventory of what is it about the holiday season, What is it about the holiday season that makes you happy, and really try to drill down and figure out specific things. Is it putting up the decorations, is it driving around and looking at lights? Is it singing in the choir? But I think we also have to do the exact other task, and that is taking an inventory of what are the things that are really triggering What are some of the things that really make it difficult to get through this season? And you know, you can go down that list too, of feeling lonely, feeling isolated, missing a loved one, grieving the loss of somebody that that has passed away, and then of course you know the idea of while other years I've really spent too much, I've really eaten too much, and oftentimes I've really drank too much. And so now's the time, just before Thanksgiving, we're about to enter this season. There's a lot of planful things that you can do to really make sure that you identify how can I make this a happier time for me?
Speaker 2: Well, just such great advice, really, Mack. That's I hope people hear this, and I hope if they have someone who may find themselves in a difficult spot, particularly during the upcoming few weeks of the year, they can listen to this interview at nightside and demand tomorrow it'll be posted at the top of the eight o'clock hour. And I was joking with you, and so I want to end on an upbeat note. And one of the movies that they then some friends of mine, including my son, insists as a Christmas tradition is watching Bad Sand with Billy Bob Thornton. If you have seen the movie.
Speaker 4: Have you seen that movie?
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's a classic movie in many respects, not what we call it traditionally classic movie. But anyway, I wanted to end on an upbeat note, and Mark, I really enjoyed the conversation and I'd love to have you back at some point.
Speaker 3: Okay, Oh good, thank you so much, Dan. I really appreciate it. Good to talk with you. And seems a little bit strange to say, but let's enjoy a rainy day tomorrow finally.
Speaker 2: Well, you know that's exactly it. I'm going to get up and I get to go tomorrow to the dentist. So it's gone. I hate going to the dentist, you know, it's just terrified. My hope is so it'll be. It will set the mood. As with the Windshiel wipers. You can probably explain that to me what my issues are here, but we'll let you. We'll let go.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's on your shopping list of self care, right, your shopping list of self care.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Mark, thanks again, and let's love to have you back anytime. You You were really a great guest. You dealt with a tough issue and you did it well. Mark launch License, Sosal, work and program director at McLain Hospital. Thanks Mark, we'll talk again. Okay, Happy Thanksgiving yours by the way, Okay, thank you and to you thank you. All right, coming up another part of the holiday season that can be kind of a downer, as things like lysteria and food born illness. We're going to talk with an expert, a us DA food safety specialist when we come back, Sooya Satar, about how to avoid it's a good plan to avoid listeria and food born illness. This is not something that you want to have a tradition in your holidays. We'll get back to you right here on Nightside after this very quick break.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: As we approach Thanksgiving and of course later on Honekah and Christmas, the holiday season into the New Year's lots of food, lots of activities, but one thing you have to be worried about is the risk of listeria and food born illness during the holidays. With us is a USDA US Department of Agriculture food Safety specialist, Soya Satar. Soya, I've never had listeria. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but it doesn't sound good. How do we prevent the risk of listeria and food borne illness? Particularly at this very special time of year.
Speaker 5: Hello, Dan, it's a pleasure to be on your show today. So I just want sorry, I should have.
Speaker 2: I should have said hello, but I wanted to get right to the issue. So thank you, thank you great, thanks you so much. And so yeah, you know what I'm trying to understand here is what's the problem and how do we prevent falling into this problem?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: So, when it comes to food born onness, we have a few key tips that we offer here at the USDA, especially with a busy holiday season like Thanksgiving. So one of those is washing your hands and avoiding cross contamination. So you want to make sure that you're cleaning your hands any services utensils that come into contact with ROM the impultry products both and after you're cooking with soap and water. You also want to make sure that you're keeping your lommi and pultry products separate from any other items like vegetables. So when you're cooking, so you want to make sure that you're using different cutting boards, different knives and such, just prevents that costs intamination. Another really big tip that we give is when you are serving your foods to your guests or things getting you want to make sure you're not leaving it outside for too long. So you want to make sure your food is not at room temperature, so that would be between forty degrees fahrenheit and one hundred degrees fahrenheit for more than two hours, because when your food is in at the temperature for more than two hours, you run the risk of getting food born illness. So what you want to do is keep your hot foods hot. So that can include a shaping dish, a warmer and such that keeps the food temperature at above one hundred and forty degrees fahrenheit, or cold fruits cold. That would be putting items like your dips in a bowl on ice in order to keep them below forty degree fahrenheit. So that way you can keep your food out longer and enjoy it with no worries.
Speaker 2: Boy, I'll tell you that's a lot to digest. Pardon the pun, but it's really good advice. And one of the things that I'm I guess I'm probably a little, I don't know, a little overly cautious. I love to rinse things with hot water, put them in the dishwasher, and clean up and uh and not leave stuff around because the worst to talk about. You know, you have a nice to get together with friends and you find out that someone that the next day or maybe even yourself, ended up getting sick because some mistake was made. The point that you made about keeping the meats, whether it's turkey or ham, different cutting boards, different utensils to use, and to wash them frequently. I suspect that that is probably the best, best subject, best suggestion, and it should be more of this congestion. It should be a mandate that people should.
Speaker 5: Follow, right, So we definitely recommend, you know, using those separate utensils. Well, like you said, the cleaning is also really big aspect. So what we recommend is for a few clean any surfaces that were used with in the cooking period with soap and water and then apply a sanitizer. So an easy homide version is to use a solution of one tablespoon of liquid chlorine bleach per gallon of water, or you can use the commercial sanitizer or sanitizing wavee just so you can have peace of mind that everything really is clean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I how long have we known all about these? You know, it's great now that there's food experts like you who'll come and do a radio show and remind people of this. But what were people doing one hundred years ago, you know, or or even more one hundred and fifty years ago. They were celebrating Thanksgiving, they were celebrating the holidays. Did they have better discipline than we do, did or were people getting sick back then? I'm just trying to understand how this has evolved. I mean, everybody now should know a lot of the things that you said they should They should take really seriously if they want to make sure that their guests have a pleasant time or they have a pleasant time when they go out somewhere. But when did this focus and this concern about listeria and food born illnesses? How did that bubble up to the surface or just was it always there?
Speaker 5: I'd say it's definitely a huge priority, of course for our agency. While I don't know exactly what people may have been doing one hundred years ago, the reason we do our work today is because it is a bigger issue than people might think. So the CDC estimates that around forty million people do get sick from food born illnesses every year, and around one hundred and twenty eight thousand of those people end up in the hospital and around three thousand of those may result in depth annually from food borne illness. So it is a really large issue and that's why we, you know, do the work that we do speaking with people like yourself to try and get our message out there of just keeping your food safe, keeping yourself safe, your community safe. And also we have a great resource through our Meat Impultry hotline. So this is a hotline that's staffed by food safety experts who are able to answer any questions that public may have about food safety around meat and poultry products. So you're able to call them actually at one what's that?
Speaker 2: What's that? What's that number?
Speaker 4: So you.
Speaker 5: Yes, the number is one triple eight six seven four six eight five four or one triple eight MP hotline, the food safety specialists. You can speak to them ten am to six pm Monday through Friday, and they're actually open on Thanksgiving Day from eight am to two pm Eastern.
Speaker 2: Okay, so again, let's just do that number one more time, a little more slowly. I was trying to write it down and people give people thirty seconds though, so to get themselves a piece of paper and a pen, because this might be a number that you want to have available in the kitchen. If there's any questions, it's a it's one triple eight, and then what's the actual phone number?
Speaker 5: Of course, one triple eight six seven four six eight five four. An easy way to remember that is also one triple eight MP hotline, MP hotline.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's that's a great suggestion, one triple eight six seven four six eight five four. Soya, thank you very much. A lot of good information there. You know, it's funny coming on earlier this week we had that whole e coli outbreak from of all things organ organic carrots, and you know, you look at stuff in the store now and it says organic, Casika. Well, that's got to be safe. Because it says organic. You just never know, You just never know. Thank you so much. Hope you and your family have great holidays starting with Thanksgiving right through the new year.
Speaker 3: You as well.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: By say okay, thank you very much. Well, we get back to talk about something called soulmate parenting. I had never heard of soulmate parenting, but we're going to be talking with doctor Joshua Coleman. He's a clinical psychologist, a senior fellow with a Council on Contemporary Families. I learned a little bit about this in the last hour or so as reading some prep notes for the show, a piece out of the Washington Post soul made parenting. It might be it may be misnamed, I'll or maybe not or maybe not. We'll leave you with that tease. Coming back on Nightside right after the News at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: It's night Side with Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back, Thank you very much, Nicole. As we move ahead, we are talking about a concept of soulmate parenting and we're talking with doctor Joshua Coleman. Doctor Coleman, Welcome to Nightside, Welcome to Boston. How are you, sir, I'm good.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me on your show.
Speaker 2: You were more than welcome, that is for sure. When I read soulmate parenting, that's the first time I've heard the term. I thought it was parents not giving enough attention to their children, that maybe the parents were still considered themselves first soulmates and second parents. But that's not quite what it is. So why don't you explain what it actually is that I just thought that the title kind of led me in a different direction. Of what it was when I finally figured out I was wrong, Go right ahead.
Speaker 4: Sure, Yeah, well, so maate parenting is this new idea that parents were of supposed to be everything for their children. They're supposed to be therapists, they're supposed to be learning disability specialist. They're supposed to be coaches, they're supposed to be best friends and psychological diagnosticians. And if they're not, then their kids later in life can go well, I had a learning disability and you didn't see it, or I had add and you didn't see it. Or I was depressed when I was younger and you didn't see it. Therefore I don't have a relationship with you. So it's this idea now that parents have to basically do everything in order to earn an ongoing relationship with their children when their children become adults. And I think it's a very problematic concept.
Speaker 2: Okay, how does soul made parenting as you, as you act very clearly and distinct distinctively, describe it, How does that differ from another concept that I had heard about called helicopter parenting?
Speaker 4: Right? Well, so all made parenting is not only helicopter parenting, but it's the idea that you're supposed to know all these things about your child that you couldn't necessarily know. Like helicopter parenting is kind of giving your child, you know, the best life that you can give them in terms of tutor ring and the like. But soul my parenting is that your souls is supposed to be their best friend. You're supposed to be psychological, you're supposed to have a bunch of other aspects to who you are as a parent person and as a parent in order to earn a continued place in your child's life. And that's right.
Speaker 2: So to keep it simple, soul made parenting is sort of helicopter parenting on steroids.
Speaker 4: You're right, yeah, exactly right.
Speaker 2: Okay, So how do parents when they're in it, they can look back twenty years later or thirty years later when the kid says something to them, like is in the article that out of the Washington Post that we looked at. You never noticed this, so you didn't see that you will, and by the way, it's your column. It was your column which appeared earlier this month in the Washington Post. Uh. And you started off by saying that this is not autobiographical, but you. It's someone who said that this son sent them a no contact letter saying that he realized in therapy that he'd been depressed in his childhood and was angry at the parent for not recognizing it. How many people have fallen into this this this circumstance or this situation. That's got to be a tough, tough letter for a no contact letter from your kid because you paid too much attention to the kid, I guess is what this the bottom line is here?
Speaker 4: Well there they're not saying that you paid too much attention like this child that. And I see these letters every day because I specialize in printal estrangement parents whose adult children have cut them off, and I every daisy letters like this from adult children. Well, you didn't see that I was depressed, You didn't get me the right kind of help for my add or you didn't do recognize other parts of me. And if you had, I'd be a very different person today. And I just think it's a guilt trip.
Speaker 2: What a huge guilt trip. Well no, I'm serious, what a guilt trip. No, you would think you would think that any rational person. And I want to defend the parent here, just in theory right, and i'd let to get your reaction. You would think that any rational person, even if they felt that way, would not put the burden on the parent, but would say, look, maybe the school system failed him. Maybe that this should have been a teacher who should have said, gee, he doesn't seem to be able to pay attention in class. Does he have ADHD? Maybe there's a school counselor this is like throwing it all on the parent. And I talk about this is a guilt trip on steroids.
Speaker 4: Well it's a guilt trip. But yeah, you're absolutely right, And it's also to your point, kind of making the parent responsible for all kinds of things that they're not necessarily responsible for. I mean, you can come into adults and with significant depression or anxiety or lack of confidence or problems with relationships and still come from a really good, loving, decent home. Either you could have problems because of genetics or the era that you're growing up in, which is by being particularly challenging, like right now, for gen z those born between nineteen nine, I forgive the age, but.
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety six in twenty twelve, I'm not a Genzer, as you probably can tell, right, right, And they have a little to make sure I know what I have. I'm a baby boomer. Okay, so yeah, me too.
Speaker 4: So right, So that goods is they're especially vulnerable to depression and anxiety. And it's not because their parents have all failed them. It's because they're growing up with cell phones and they're constantly having to compare themselves to other kids who supposedly are doing better. But we've developed as very therapeutic culture. And I'm a psychologist, but we're sort of making young people feel like, well, if you have problems, that you just need to look back on the ways that you were traumatized, you know, in childhood. And yeah, a lot of people are traumatized. A lot of people, you know, really have a right to be upset that their parents didn't treat them well. But a lot of parents today, perfectly good, normal, loving parents are getting cut off by their adult children for reasons that any other generation would have considered absurd.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's funny. I think you and I probably are from the same school and probably had similar experiences. But when I read a story about some gen zs, and I'm not anti gen Z, but when I read some story about gen zs being upset because in a freshman class of college there was some professor who talked about a subject that made them feel uncomfortable, and they want some sort of you know, a safe space, a safe room, maybe at a comfort pet. And I'm thinking to myself, how did these eighteen year old olders, young people today, how did they come here with the eighteen year old kids in nineteen forty four who hit the beaches at Normandy. Well, I wasn't born despite, I wasn't born in nineteen forty four. Okay, so let me make that very clear. But what the hell I mean? You talk about a tough problem, and so you've got some professor who's giving you a B minus because right, well, how do we get that generation out? Right?
Speaker 4: Well, a lot of younger adults are coming into therapy and they're saying, well, you emotionally abused me for things that in the parents' generation certainly would have would have been considered abusive in any way. And the parents want to say, and they offer do to say, you know, abuse, what I gave you a childhood I would have killed for. If you want to see an abusive childhood, you should have seen what I grew up in and which, of course, isn't the best way to start a conversation. No, happy, we become wait, wait to protect of our red children. We've become way too worried about the world being dangerous. So younger generations just haven't been exposed to the kind of things that older generations have, so the world just does feel more dangerous and threatening to them.
Speaker 2: Hey, I remember when I was a twelve year old kid, ten year old kid. Uh, we had we literally had drills at our small little uh Boston. Get under your desk, you were under attack. Yeah, that's kind of traumatizing. Second roll right, yeah, right, yeah, just unbelievable. Look, I really enjoyed this conversation. It probably seemed a little irreverent to you, but I'm kind.
Speaker 4: Of now guy. Yeah, No, I think this topic deserves a certain degree of irreverence. I'm with you on Matt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you sound to me like the sort of psychologist, a psychiatrist that can actually help people becau because people at different times during your life, everyone needs help. But for all the gender ors who are thinking about how tough it is out there in the world. When you didn't get that date on Saturday night, or your date didn't show up. Just think about Normandy and Utah Beach and Sword Beach and June sixth, nineteen forty four, if you want to talk about kind of being in a tough sort of situation where you really did need a safe place of.
Speaker 4: Safe room, right right exactly.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed. I enjoyed our conversation very much. Is there any sort of a book? Sometimes many of my guests have written a book and they like to refer to our clinical psychologist and a senior fellow with the Council and contemporary Families and your articles in the Washington Post how soul may parenting hurts parent child relationships tell us about Is there somewhere that people can will get more information? Sure that?
Speaker 4: Yeah. My newest book is called Rules of the Strange, Right, Why I Don't children cut ties? And how to Heal the conflict? And they can learn more about me and my services at my website TRIPLEW dot doctor Joshua Coleman dot com. And I'm all over the internet, so I'm really easy to find.
Speaker 2: Doctor Joshua Cooleman dot dot com. Okay, great, Doctor Coleman really really enjoyed it and hope to have you, have to have you on again. And I actually wrote one piece for the Washington Post many many years ago on the a tribute to Tip O'Neil when he retired as speaker. The Post actually allowed to cover him for many years as a political reporter here in Boston, and they wanted a sort of a piece from a Boston perspective in nineteen eighty six. So I had one piece at the Washington Post that was it.
Speaker 4: Well, that's that's impression. And those are the days when the government sort of worked, as you know, the Republicans and Democrats actually kind of collaborated together.
Speaker 2: So and that was kind of at a better time in many respects. Doctor Joshua Coleman loved the interview. Love you you you. I think you're a philosophical soul made here man. We'll talk soon.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me on. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You're more than welcome. Thank you. We get back when we talk about gen Z and they now are going for TikTok videos as opposed to resumes. My instinct on that is basically good luck with that kids. We'll be back with Julie Balki, President and Chief Career strategist at the Buki Group. We'll talk about this back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World nights Stand Studios on w b Z News Radio.
Speaker 2: Want to welcome back Julie Balki. Julie's the president and chief career strategist at the Balkie Group career coaching firm. Julie, welcome back to Nightside.
Speaker 6: How are you hey, Thanks, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Great to have you back, and we're talking again about gen Z. I just ended up talking with a clinical psychologist, doctor Joshua Coleman, last hour about what they call soulmate parenting, where a lot of young people, I guess gen z Is are are blaming their parents because their parents weren't you know, had a relationship which was very supportive, but they didn't diagnose problems. And the doctor who we just have was a little skeptical of, you know, finger pointing by members of Generation gen Z, but they But the area that we're going to talk about is that when you and I were young, back in the well, at least when I was young in the last century, uh, you polished your resume and maybe you even sent a cover letter with the resume resume when you were applying for a job or inquiring if there were jobs available. But gen Z now has decided they're going TikTok baby all the way, TikTok videos and forget this resume stuff. It's a much much too old school. What's going on?
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, and not only did we polish up our resumes, do you remember going to the store and buying high quality paper and envelopes that match so you could then put them in the mailbox. Yeah, it has changed. And I've been in this world of like career coaching since you know, the very late nineties, and so I have seen I remember that time and then still doing it now and it's literally in some ways a one to eighty and some ways it isn't. The essence of it is still the same. If you are looking for a role, you want people, you want the decision makers to understand who you are, and limiting that to a two page resume is always hard. It's hard, but it's always the way it was done. So now we have social media, we have ai is writing our resumes for us, and so we have all these things that in some ways make it harder for people to get to know us in some ways make it easier. So let's go through an example. Let's say that you're applying for a job. An employer is interested in you. Smart employers are going well beyond typical reference checking, just calling the people whose names should give them, and they're googling you. They're seeing what is your social media presence? How do you show up in the world? And you and I are listening to that, going, oh heavens, I'm so glad that wasn't a thing, right, I mean, I I'd hate to have, like twenty something.
Speaker 2: Thought dodge that bullet dodge that we did.
Speaker 6: We certainly did so, so they're like, okay, so who is this person? You know, what is their social media presence? So and when you're applying for a job, you may not know they do that. All you know is you never get a callback. So some savvy gen zers, and this is where you have to start really thinking about what type of job are you applying for and what's the best way to show who you are. So this example, this story was telling the stories about these gen zers who said, I'm going to hopefully catapult myself to the top of the pile and do something different and you know, even twenty years ago, job seekers did things to stand out that weren't always appropriate, weren't always appreciated. So we've got in this case, we've got let's say you're applying to be an accountant at an insurance company. I absolutely do not recommend you make a TikTok video. You know it's not. So you've got to know where you're applying to.
Speaker 7: You have to know, don't make a TikTok video contextum with some sort of a rap song about adding int attracting and convinced your numbers.
Speaker 2: Guy, I got it, Okay, I got that all right.
Speaker 6: So I looked at a couple of these videos that these gen zs made applying for a talk, and they were very well done. And making a TikTok video is a lot harder than people think it is, and so it's a way to show your personality in a way that it does make you stand out. But in both of these cases, they were applying for jobs in which social media was a big part of the company's presence, the big part of the company's marketing.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 6: One was an internship with Barstool Sports, which is Dave Portnoy he's everywhere on social media, so you have to make sure that you're matching your approach to applying for a job, to the to the culture.
Speaker 2: The saw that TikTok video that you're referring to. I saw the TikTok videos you're referring referring to, and I thought to some extent that the young woman was kind of trying a little too hard.
Speaker 6: If you get my drift, you thought, yes, see interpretation. Yeah, So it's you know, you have to be careful, is all I'm saying. You have to think. So if the people making the decision are boomers or gen X, you're not going to get the same reaction as if they are peers of yours and they're super impressed with your creativity. So it's it's it's a really tricky line to walk. We haven't completely crossed over yet to the point where a resume typical resumes are obsolete, but we may someday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess. I mean probably at some point in the future, we will be able to time travel and basically materialize inside the office of the person who's interviewing you. Just materialized magically or something. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I do think you know what I'm still waiting for. I'm still waiting for the flying car from the Jetsons that we were.
Speaker 2: Prob Oh's on the way. Don't worry, Elon's working on that.
Speaker 4: Probably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guarantee you. Look. It's always your great guest and I enjoyed it much. I still think time resume and a discreete photograph, headshot or whatever you want to call it is good. And also, you know, being good in the telephone I think is a really lost skill.
Speaker 6: That the communication skills are drastically missing, and companies are even saying they're having to retrain their new employees and basic communication skills.
Speaker 2: You got it, You've got it, doctor Julie Blkie, thank you so much, as always one of our favorite guests. How can folks get in touch with you with the Bulkie.
Speaker 6: Group, Well, the Balkiegroup dot com it's b a u k E. But I'm also on Instagram and TikTok as Julie on the job and your.
Speaker 2: Career coaching firms, and that's important. So maybe people who.
Speaker 6: Want to help to get career happy.
Speaker 2: Oh that's all we're trying. I've been trying that for a long time. No, I never give up, never quit, never quit trust me, Thanks very much. We won't quit you either, because we got the news coming up. And on the other side, we're going to inform you of the the no school status in Gloucester, Beverly and Marblehead. I think you probably know what it's gonna be, but we'll let you know right after the nine. And I want to talk more seriously, very seriously about the spate of school strikes. I think it's improper. I think something should be done. And the Globe editorial page was fabulous today. Mark that down. Might be one of the few times I'll have a site the Globe editorial editorial as being fabulous. Back on Nights side right after this