Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, hour number three here on a game day edition Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's. Make sure you keep Thornton's in mind. You're gonna need to stop in and you know, put fuel in your vehicle unless you have an electric car, which I'm sure there are more of those than I realize, but i'd still say the vast majority of us have to use, you know, fuel, And clearly there's a lot of places you can get fuel, but Thornton's is where you should because you're gonna save money every time when you get gas. As a member of their refreshment Awards program, you'll save five cents off each time, and then I don't know the exact frequency, but every so often, and it's not like just randomly, but after a certain amount of phillips, you get twenty five cents off per gallon.
Speaker 3: So every little bit helps.
Speaker 2: And of course they have really stepped it up in recent months when it comes to their food items. They've got delicious pizza, they've got some different breakfast sandwiches. So keep it in mind, we were proudly fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven nineties.
Speaker 3: So a very very cold Tuesday.
Speaker 2: I mean I think, I mean it was like what eight degrees this morning or something like that.
Speaker 4: But felt like two.
Speaker 3: I mean it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was thinking about this earlier because we had the snowstorm that rocked us a little bit, really impacted a full week to an extent for some folks around here. That happened on January fifth. It's January twenty first, so I'm I don't know. I can't prove this, and it's certainly not relevant, but I think that there's been snow on the ground around here as many days consecutively than there ever has been that I can remember. I know that snowstorm happened in like nineteen ninety two or something, or was it ninety four? Maybe it was ninety four maybe either way, the big snowstorm that, of course a lot of folks talk about to this day.
Speaker 3: I'm sure that, but I don't remember that. I was so young.
Speaker 2: So it's we got a lot of snow, and it's been warm enough here and there to get a buff freezing and some of it melt but you got to keep in mind it doesn't stay that warm that long this time of year. And there's certain like my driveway at the top, not the hill. The hill is fine, but my driveway at the top, like where we pull into the garage, it's in the shade for like, you know, it's either in the shade or it's dark outside for you know, nearly twenty four of the twenty four hours that we get in a day. So it's just been a solid sheet of ice for a long time. And with this cold weather, I mean it's our pipes froze, which you know is one of those things that's never happened to me as a homeowner.
Speaker 3: I didn't really know what to do.
Speaker 2: Luckily we were able to, you know to I mean again, I was worried that we were you know, that that could be a big issue, which I know that it can. But now we've got like the the two sinks that we have in our in our bedroom bathroom, we've got those just kind of doing that slow drip. But the other like our kitchen and whatnot, it was fine our shower. So it is that kind of cold, and I'm ready for the cold weather to be over with I really am. Usually I'm somebody saying, hey, I can live with this, give us more snow, but no, I'm ready for it to be op It's just the cold weather is disrespectful out there. It's just brutal.
Speaker 4: It has been.
Speaker 5: And I know that we've gone on here and talked about what would you rather when it comes to the hot and cold weather?
Speaker 3: And I love that would you rather get?
Speaker 5: Absolutely and we, like you said, we've both been on an agreement. I hate when it's hot outside. But the last couple of weeks here have got me starting to maybe change my mind on that narrative a little more.
Speaker 4: But I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'll say that until I get back in my car after it's been sitting there in ninety degree weather and forty five percent human and I just hate life.
Speaker 2: Then i'd I've known for quite a while that I'm not necessarily built for the elements in one extreme way or the other. But man, this cold weather has been a real reminder that I'm soft because just getting I mean just getting out of the car, and keep in mind where we are, I mean, I'm in a garage, it's outside, I mean it's not warm, and the walkway from the garage to our front door. I mean it's covered, but it's still really cold.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So like I'm people out there working in this and they're a lot tougher than I am.
Speaker 3: So trust me.
Speaker 2: I know I sound like a big wimp compared to a lot of other people, but like my face still hurts two hours into the show just from that walk because it's so cold outside.
Speaker 5: You finally look comfortable because for the majority of the show you had you had layers on.
Speaker 4: Now you're I like that. I like that sweatshirt by the thank you.
Speaker 2: Yes I had, I had the hoodie and the coat just because like I hadn't, I hadn't thought out yet. But yeah, I need to throw back on and warm up because when I walk out of here in about.
Speaker 3: An hour, it's gonna be golady.
Speaker 2: So Bullet County Public School is where my my children, well my daughter goes to school. My son will, but he's not he's not old enough yet. They have they've decided to do it nt I day tomorrow and it's and I thought, okay, were we getting more snow and no, it's because of how cold it's going to be. And I mean I get it, like I'm not gonna be the guy that claims.
Speaker 3: Because look here this is the truth.
Speaker 2: We didn't have the ability to do NTI when I was a kid, and we certainly didn't have the ability to do it, you know, the generation before mine.
Speaker 3: So it's just an inconvenience thing. And I totally understand.
Speaker 2: Like sometimes I want to like scream because now we've got to figure out arrangements like to take care of of our of our my daughter, I mean, and another thing, daycare. There's no bus stop for daycare. But I would not be shocked if my kids daycare just decide, well, you know, school's out, so we aren't gonna go to Like we aren't gonna But quite literally, the reason they are canceling school, the reason they're doing the school at home tomorrow, is not because they're worried about roads or getting there. They're worried about kids waiting outside in this this temperature at the bus stop when you don't drive a bus to go get my kids and bring them the daycare. So I will I'll just probably do nothing and accept it and be angry. But like, that's the one thing I've never really been able to understand is that our daycare, which we love because our kids love it and they they've have grown up there like they followed the school in what they do, when in reality, that's the most flawed way for a daycare to operate, because, you know what, you become more, you become more of a need for us when we don't have the ability to send our kids to school. You don't have a bus. If I'm willing to get out and drive my child to you, why can't you be there?
Speaker 3: Like that's kind of what you do.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, So it's in I don't want to make it a big thing because I just get caught up and can't stop bitching about it, to be honest with you, but I remember feeling very much like I felt vindicated because whenever this happened a couple of years ago, like I made it a bigger thing on the show than it ever should have been, just because I'm on the I'm on the air scrambling trying to figure out what I'm going to do with my kids because they're calling and saying, hey, you gotta come get kids. Now, we're closing doors because it's gonna snow. Well, I mean work, like I could just leave on the so you know, at times it became a thing because it quite literally was something I had to figure out, like live on the air and every and there's so many people that listen that either currently send their kids to daycare, they used to work at a daycare, they used to own a daycare, maybe they still send their kids to daycare, and they and every one of them who reached out was like, yeah, that's that's not normal for a daycare to just follow what a school system does, because again it's pretty common knowledge.
Speaker 3: You become more of something we need when we can't send our kids to school.
Speaker 2: So I'm hopeful that they won't they won't close, but we shall see.
Speaker 5: But Maya wasn't in school back when the whole COVID stuff was happening, right when they first introduced the NTI and the online classes.
Speaker 2: Or gosh now that so she was, but it was like it was pre school stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so she she's.
Speaker 2: Uh, she loves school, and I mean, like it's the best thing for us because, like you know, with her situation, her being special needs and intellectually disabled, there's clearly worry as parent as far as just some hardships that may come with that. Just some difficulties and we've had, you know, we've had issues like any parent of any kid will have when it comes to school. But as far as like just her not wanting to go, and I mean, she loves school so much, but she's been in school. Like when she gets older, she can tell people that she probably went to school longer than anybody, you know, not like a Tommy Boy situation. Well, you know a lot of people go to school for eight years rich Ard. Yeah, they're called doctors. But she when she became I think it was three, she grew out of a program she was in called First Steps, which gave her speech therapy and occupational therapy and physical therapy too, like that helped her be able to start walking. Really great program that was just a great resource for us. But you age out at a certain age. I think it was three. So what you can do is you can start going to preschool and get the services there. So she's been in school since she was three years old. So yeah, she was technically in school around code. But but what happened then is with that stuff and again global pandemic will do this that they were just scrambling to try to like get kids to be able to finish the school year to where hers wasn't. It wasn't a necessity, you know what I mean, Like, it wasn't like a top priority because most kids that were there, they were only there for half the day and they weren't really getting education or curriculum. They were just utilizing, you know, the therapy that you can get. So, yeah, school's out tomorrow where we are at least you know, they're not going, and that's an inconvenience for a lot of people. We were talking earlier about the algorithm on social media, the things that they that they put on your timeline and your feed because they try to dictate what you want to see, of course, because you know, the more things they put on your feed that you're interested in and that you're interacting with, that you're engaging with, the more time you spend on their platform, which of course is what they want.
Speaker 3: Facebook knows me well.
Speaker 2: I love reading comments sections with parents bitching about the school system and what they're deciding to do with with snow days because it's you know, again here I am complaining about it to an extent where you know where I am, but you know, I know that it's just me even it's not going to do anything. And at the end of the day, if I was in the position that the people who are you know, in this position, big, big important decision as far as should we send the kids to school or not, You're you're always going to play it safe. You know, you can go to bed at night and it's a much bet. It's much easier night of sleep if you were cautious and you know, maybe the weather wasn't that bad. If you send them to school and you take a risk and you got accidents and all that, like, that's a totally different situation. And again I don't think it's the same at all, and it's certainly inconvenience to parents, but they now have Like I thought we'd never get snow days anymore. I remember after the pandemic when they started doing NTI I was I was sad for children because I thought they'll never get to experience the awesomeness that comes with a snow day. And clearly that's been wrong, because there have been many snow days since then, especially in the last few weeks. Now, you know, I'm sure there's factor that decide, Okay, are we gonna have a traditional snow day.
Speaker 3: Are we going to do remote learning?
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean I don't know JCPS is gonna do the same thing, but it is gonna be really really cold, and it's not I mean, keep in mind the temperature tomorrow morning. Like, let's say, what do you think the earliest time is for a kid to be at a bus stop? Like it's probably I mean, depending on if you're in high school and you it's like seven am or I think even pre seven. I think even before seven am, you probably got some kids that are getting you know, showing up at the bus stop and at that time tomorrow, I mean it's gonna be at that time, it will be a warm three degrees and that is not even that is not even the windshill. Like that's literally just what what the temperature is going to be.
Speaker 3: So I get it. I wouldn't want to be at the bus stop either, So we'll see.
Speaker 2: I haven't heard you think about JACPS, but wouldn't be shocked if they make the same decision and the other school systems around here.
Speaker 3: All Right, it's game day, Louisville SMU.
Speaker 2: We've talked not as much about it in the last hour or so, but Obviously it was a big part of our lead in because it's a big game. To an extent, there's something on the line tonight. A loss doesn't kill you, but you know, if you're Louisville, you want to keep this roll, and you are on an eight game winning streak, one of the longest winning streaks in college basketball, and a win tonight is different than the other wins that you could potentially.
Speaker 3: Collect the rest of the way.
Speaker 2: This is the last opportunity for you as of now to get a valuable win, meaning a quad one win.
Speaker 3: SMU is a top forty team.
Speaker 2: They'd have to fall out of the top seventy five in order for them, I'm sorry, the top seventy five for them to not be a quad one win for Louisville, so this late in the year, I have a hard time seeing them fall that far. So again, not to claim that it's some big resume win. I mean right now, SMUs not in the tournament and a loss to Louisville isn't going to cripple them as far as their resume, but clearly it's their last opportunity as well to get a win, so they need it more than Louisville, but obviously, you know, Louisville can benefit from it as well. So it's just been so awesome this ride. And I'm so repetitive when it comes to talk about this team because I feel like I've been doing reruns for the last few weeks because it's just been kind of the same thing. Man, they're playing really good basketball. I'm one of the many fans out there that is just loving watching this team play.
Speaker 3: I talked about it a little bit yesterday.
Speaker 2: I get sad when we get late in the first half because I'm like, oh, come on, it's almost halftime, and then we only get twenty more minutes of this. Like, I'm loving it, and it's been a fun ride so far. And one thing I didn't want to bring up here that if you weren't with us earlier in the show, you missed it. This is just a sign of I mean, one of the many signs that Louisville basketball is, you know.
Speaker 3: Is getting back.
Speaker 2: But I forget that they're without two players that were supposed to be really important to this team. And it's for a variety of reasons. One because they're playing well, but man, it's also because there's nothing you can do about it, right, Like, I'm not even going to bring Kenny Pain into this, but like even other coaches I think would have been a little calculated in regards to making sure it's not forgotten that if there's a loss, or if there's a setback, or if there's an upset that you're on the wrong end of, don't make excuses, but find a way to float it out there to remind people, well, I'm without Casein pryor I'm without Corn Johnson, I didn't have kidor until you know, mid or early January. But Pat Kelsey, I mean, I think what you see is what you get. He didn't make excuses. He certainly didn't let these players make excuses. They didn't play victim. They literally had a really really tough run of bad luck with those injuries, and they I forget about it because they're still playing well without those guys, And that's just it's a little thing.
Speaker 3: But in fact, it's not a little things.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's actually a big thing, because again, I think even really good coaches will find a way to make excuses. That's just not how Pat Kelsey is wired. And I think hopefully it's just because of who he is, and we never see some we never see a side of him that's gonna make excuses and all that. But also he's so hung like he's at Louisville. He's probably at a job like this earlier than he anticipated. I'm sure he always believed he could get here, but he's got this opportunity and he's not gonna make excuses or feel sorry for himself. He's gonna put everything he has into succeeding here, and so far he's doing that, and it's just been it's been a lot of fun, a whole lot of fun. And the reason I wanted to bring this up is because there are a lot of different college basketball.
Speaker 3: Stat guys.
Speaker 2: You know, some would just call them college basketball nerds, And I'm a college basketball nerd, but I'm not a smart enough nerd to be able to be able to put together a formula that could give you like the Ken palm or the bart torvirick. But Evan Mayowaka is one of the college basketball guys that I follow that has some really good data that I just find interesting. And this is just again, like Louisville. Right now, there's only one team in college basketball that have suffered more from injuries as far as based on minutes per game missed by players that were supposed to be a big part of the rotation or were a big part of the rotation before injury. McNee State is the only team that can claim that they have had a worse deal of bad luck with injuries. Louisville they look they've been one of the stories. And again, I talked about this a couple of weeks ago, maybe it was last week. It's kind of all a blur because it's just been such a fun ride. But whenever I see people out there really gassing up Pat Kelsey, as far as he should be National Coach of the Year, he should be acc Coach of the Year.
Speaker 3: I just see that initial point and I'm like, well, hell yeah, the guy's killing it. He's doing great.
Speaker 2: But then they throw in he's doing this despite not just what he inherited, he had to build a team from scratch, but also he's without Corn Johnson in case in Pryor. I forget that. I think a lot of fans do, because they didn't use it as an excuse. They just kept they kept working, like they kept plugging away, And I think the maturity has stood out in a variety of ways this year. And one of the things that this isn't a Hey, Nick was right, you guys are wrong. But I could tell that when they were losing to Duke despite out playing them for thirty minutes, when they came up short against Kentucky at Rup, but yet that was a really competitive game where they were going back and forth, and look, I thought there was a good showing despite the loss. I could tell internally that these guys knew that they were getting more comfortable, they were getting better despite losses. And I think, again, that speaks to maturity.
Speaker 3: And we'll see.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Pat's gonna want to build his team like this every year. Certainly he's got a freshman coming in next year that's going to be really special.
Speaker 3: Canai Rus is going to be a sophomore.
Speaker 2: But if you can get the right guys that are kind of about the right things, there's value in having veterans that are you know, are that are mature, that are growing ass men like I don't think Louisville, I don't think. I don't think it's just a coincidence or a random stat that Louisville is in the position they have all circumstances considered like, I don't think the fact that they're an old team is just a random thing. I think that's part of why they're where they are. And again, it's been a fun ride. We'll talk a little bit more about this SMU team, specifically on the other side and something that we've talked about in the last couple of weeks. If Lenardi's right, it may happen, and that is a potential matchup in the NSAA tournament with a very familiar face. So we get to that in a lot more. Keep it locked right here. It's coffee and Company fuel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven to nine day.
Speaker 6: I try not to try to say real even keyo and focused on the next thing. Obviously, I'm well aware that our team's playing well and we've had some success, but I think there's a time and place for doing that getting above the trees. And there are little moments when not even about the success, just the sense of gratitude that I have for where I am and what I'm able to do whether it's I'm up at the Dome at Syracuse and I watched so many games there over the years, and the great teams of Jim Beaheim, and just for a second in the middle of the game, is the clock's ticking. I look around, go, holy cow, man. I'm coaching University of Louisville at the Dome and I can't say the name of the dome because I forget what it is. It was always the Carrier Dome. So that answers that question. And then the other question I believe was what challenges do they present? What challenges don't they present? They present every way shape or form their dynamic, their fast paced, very good rebounding team. They can score from all different positions on the floor. They're extremely skilled. They're trippic rebounding team like you name it, and you know we have to be on it. It's gonna be a very, very big challenge.
Speaker 2: That was Pat Kelsey yesterday before the team took off to Dallas, which is wild.
Speaker 3: We talked about the weather earlier.
Speaker 2: It is snowing in Texas, which does happen from time to time, but they're getting more snow than they typically get.
Speaker 3: And my wife.
Speaker 2: I love her, and I don't want to insinuate that she's wrong because she's smarter than I am. But was she messing with me to say that it's gonna be snowing in Destin, Florida. That's where we go, that's our family vacation. That's kind of like the place we love. And I just cannot snow in Louisiana. I can't imagine they're being like, I just can't. There's no visual that I can that I can you know in my mind process of there being snow on the ground or snow on the beach in.
Speaker 3: Destin, Florida.
Speaker 2: But hey, the uh the the place we go to, uh not every time we go. They've got like their website, they've got like a live like like a live stream just like a camera that's sitting up like on the roof of the place that you can see the beach and whatnot, just to kind of you know, when you're about to leave to go on your trip, you can you can tune in and and you can pull it up and see that you know, hey, it's not you know, it's not great here. I don't have a big beautiful beach in front of me. But man, I'll be you know, I'll be able to see myself on this camera before too long. So maybe if it is getting, if they do get the snow they're expecting, maybe I can check it out. But yeah, just the we get told how we are not built for the cold weather and snow from the folks that are north of us, because you know, they're a little bit better equipped to handle it. They've got you know, they're more used to it, they've got more resources. But we can probably look at the folks south of us that may get a little dusting and not know what to do. But hey, get you're used to what you know, which you get on an annual basis. And I think everybody has had more snow, at least on this side of the country than they typically get.
Speaker 4: But yeah, go out and enjoy it. Make some snow angels.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did see that there's going to be a big group of I don't want to say big group, like they're going to be dominating the arena. I'm not sure what the arena is at SMU, but I know they are in the Dallas area. And there was a guy who sit out of tweet yesterday that I retweeted. He says, coach Pete, we will have twelve Dallas based Louisville alumni strong tomorrow, screaming from Section two hundred. And this is again one of the little things that just these guys probably you know, went to u of L. Maybe they're from the city of Louisville, and now they call Dallas home, and they've probably been thinking about it for the last few weeks, like, hey, they're coming here, and I mean they might still go even if Louisville wasn't good, because you know, it's their team and they never get a chance to see them when they're in Texas. But there's just such good vibes right now with Louisville basketball, and it's it's an awesome thing.
Speaker 3: But look, I will be honest.
Speaker 2: I I don't know what kind of a real opponent this is. I'm not going to act like SMU isn't as good as Pat Kelsey just said that they are, because clearly, you know he knows more about basketball than I ever will.
Speaker 3: But I mean, I think what's got me a little.
Speaker 2: Conflicted is that my gut is telling me that like Louisville should win regardless of SMU is as good as he says they are, because Louisville is a better team and they've been more battle tested, like you know, but also, you know, SMU is a good enough team to where maybe they come out ready to play and maybe they expose Louisville in a way and show something that maybe makes this team more vulnerable than we've realized in these last these last few weeks. So again, currently the spread here in this game as of right now. Last I checked, it was SMU minus one and a half hook and it is let's see, got so many games tonight, so many, so many games. Yeah, I was gonna say, so many games for me to lose money on.
Speaker 3: All right, Louisville.
Speaker 2: It is still Louisville, still want and a half point underdogs. So you know, I don't think this is the kind of group that's going to like use that as real fuel and motivation because I think, you know, they're probably I mean I said this earlier. I think the cliche thing that you hear from coaches is often true, meaning, hey, we're just worried about the next game. You know, the next game is the most important. You know, what did Pat Kelsey say? Young Harris is the most important game in the history of this program because it's the next game, and everybody wants to have that mindset, like everybody meaning coaches, players, because you know, if you're real with yourself that like you shouldn't get complacent. You should always But it's hard, man, it's hard not to look ahead. It's hard to kind of keep that same level of intensity and focus. But I think with this team, you know, an acc play specifically, like, they really have shown that they're not thinking. I mean, they're not thinking about their seed, they're not thinking about being ranked. I hope that they realize that there's a little more juice within the fan base because they keep winning and things like them being ranked has now happened.
Speaker 3: But I mean, I'm.
Speaker 2: Hopeful that this is the kind of group that'll just use that as more fuel to kind of keep it rolling and keep getting better and better. I mean, you know, so that was a long winning way of me saying.
Speaker 3: I really have no clue what to expect.
Speaker 2: My gut tells me that, like, Louisville should win even if SMU plays well, because I think they're better. I think it'll be a competitive game, but who knows, Maybe SMU, maybe it's their night. We shall see. All I know is that I hope they can keep this streak going. It's been over a month since they lost a game. And again, this is what was said after the Pittsburgh game that hey, this is right now, on paper, the toughest challenge you have left. Now. Pitt's kind of falling a part since then, but still thankfully that will always be a quad.
Speaker 3: One win because it was a road game.
Speaker 2: But now who you are, you know, you got passed, you got past pit which was which was a tough game.
Speaker 3: Then you went on the road and beat QS.
Speaker 2: You took care of business against Virginia the other night or the other day, and now you've got a game that you know, you know is the toughest one at least as of right now when it comes to just you know, on paper.
Speaker 3: So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: But nine o'clock tip, just a reminder for those of you that weren't paying attention, and maybe you got out a routine to paying attention to the time of the tip, because you know, the last couple of years, it's just not been something you've been super just the yeah, focused on, Yeah, just the tip tonight at nine o'clock, so maybe get a nap when you get home, or maybe just you know, maybe stay up la.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I stay.
Speaker 2: Up probably later than the average you know person my age with young kids that get up really early. So you know, I'm it's not uncommon for me to go to bed at like two thirty. I mean, that's not super common, but you know, if you know, like last night, I think I realized as I was on the recliner watching TV and realizing I should probably go to bed, Oh wow, I really should have gone to bed two hours ago into two thirty. So I usually stay up late, but I know there's a lot of folks that see the nine o'clock tip off and they're like, yeah, nah, like.
Speaker 3: This is this is not crazy.
Speaker 2: But I would imagine in previous years, it was a little more easy for you to just say, yeah, I don't need to watch. I'll I'll pop open YouTube TV tomorrow morning and rewatch it and click the option of like just you know, the key plays, or maybe you'll watch the condensed version. I mean, you know, it'll be a lot tougher for you to do that now because you probably are just like me, and you can't wait to watch this team play, and you know, for what it's worth, there's there's some real value tonight.
Speaker 3: I hate having to like talk about the and I.
Speaker 2: Shouldn't do it as much as I do, But I guess it's just me, you know, trying to, you know, make it clear to everybody that I'm aware that Louisville being the second best team in the ACC says more about the ACC than it does anything else. Like, I think everybody knows that, so I probably shouldn't keep mentioning it. But I also think both things can be true. That the ACC is really down and this Louisville team has shown that they can still be pretty good. Like I don't think I could be wrong, but if Louisville ends up taking care of business the rest of the way, and I just have a look, I can't see a scenario where they go undefeated the rest of the season, they could lose tonight.
Speaker 3: But it's just weird knowing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like every team on the schedule, if they play really just close to the way they've played in the last six games, they should win. They should win some of these games by a lot, So the thought of them finishing undefeated just seems unrealistic. But like if they do, let's say they lose one. Let's say the game they lose is when they I mean, even even the road games they have aren't against the good teams in the league. Well, I mean, and I don't know how many good teams there are, but they're road games, you know, games where you would think that they'd be a little bit more vulnerable. Virginia Tech they stink, they're They're one of the worst teams in the league. I mean again, louisll could slip up and lost anybody. But like the other road games they have, notre Aim, NC State, they're not good at all, Boston College, Georgia Tech, like you go on the road and play most of the bums outside of course tonight at SMU. So you know, when I was just going to give them one loss because they'll eventually, you know, have a bad night, I don't really, I mean, maybe it's tonight, I don't know.
Speaker 3: But let's say they only lose.
Speaker 2: One more before the end of the regular season, they could make it to the semis of the ACC Championship or the a SEC Tournament. And at that point, like I don't think it's crazy to think they could end up with like a four seed. I mean, that sounds crazy, but it's not because again, they're already in a pretty good spot when it comes to the numbers, and look, I realize there's not a ton of opportunities for value, but they're already sitting in the top thirty. And if they keep winning and they beat some of these teams bad, they're going to continue to climb. And what really helps them is their non conference schedule, Like they are potentially going to be able to hopefully have earned the benefit of the doubt, meaning we're again the committee can say, yeah, both things are true.
Speaker 3: This acc yikes.
Speaker 2: We've never been here on selection Sunday realizing how bad the league is. But you know what, Louisville they're an exception. They're not worthy of like a one, two or three, or maybe even a four. But they've had a pretty good record and they played a really good non conference schedule, So we're gonna we're gonna feel comfortable slotting them at like a five seed. So I mean, again, I need to stop because there's been two different people that have that have today kind of mentioned it. I don't feel like I've been that bad at it today. But I do know that I find myself thinking when I mentioned Louisville's success and their potential record in the league, play that I do always make sure to put it on the front in the end, have said, you know, comment that I'm aware of the ACC stinks, but like that really doesn't mean Louisville's not a pretty good team. In fact, I don't think it is a factor at all. It'd be different if you were barely getting by some of these teams. So you have any you have any, Like I'm sure you haven't watched SMU this year. I'll be honestly, they're the only ACC team I haven't watched a second of Yeah, but actually.
Speaker 4: One of the ACC teams I kind of still forget about.
Speaker 3: But like, are you worried? Like are you have they played well enough for you? Because look, you you're you're wired kind of like how I used to be.
Speaker 2: But I still got a little bit of that DNA and me, you know what I'm saying, So like, you know, I uh, I just I feel like the way they've played, Even if I wanted to be pessimistic and wanted to expect the worst, hope for the best. I'd be lying to myself because from what I've seen, and again big factor would be knowing what SMU looks like. But I also know that they needed a buzzer beater to beat the Virginia team that Louisville's just bent over twice. Yeah, So like, I think they played well enough to where I'm going in the night, like, yeah, they should win.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I just I mean I feel confident about it. I'm just a little bit more uncomfortable with how close the numbers and the metrics say six good point.
Speaker 2: I mean that that that usually makes people kind of feel I mean, there's a reason that they make a lot more money than we do when it comes to bedding, because they typically are right more than we are.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I don't know if it's just going to be a desperation, you know, I don't know if it's cliche time time zone change. You know, their bodies are gonna be at like, uh a little bit later once you go down to Texas. It's going to another half of the country.
Speaker 3: But now you got me nervous.
Speaker 4: But that's I feel like that's we got.
Speaker 3: We've got a bunch of old guys they need, they're gonna want to be in bed by.
Speaker 5: A that's true, but hopefully the the the childlike energy of Pat Kelcey and that coaching staff is able to just kind of push them through to the night. And I know that they had a Miami sucks, but they blew them out a couple of days ago, And I don't know, maybe it's so I don't. I haven't done too much research on them, and I'm kind of just in the I don't know gray area about my takes on SMU already. Like I said, I kind of keep forgetting that them cal Stanford are still in the ACC. So when I see them on our schedule, I'm like, oh, that's right. So like I don't, I don't factor them in too much.
Speaker 3: But can I give us here? Can I give us a pat on the back here? Because we we we had the.
Speaker 2: Opportunity and a lot of people probably would have done it. That's a path to do a lot of fake taking, meaning where we could act like we are very familiar with uh, you know, with this SMU team, But like no, like I haven't watched a second of them. I know I know their personnel, I don't know who their coaches. Yeah, Andy Infield, who was at USC. Yeah, but yeah, like you you know it now that you're reminded, But like it's not something that's just on your brain because you're not thinking a whole lot about SMU. So again, I don't want to act like I'm I'm I'm confident because I think they stink I'm confident because.
Speaker 3: Louisvill's played so well. Yes, but also.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe I learned the hard way that this SMU team really hit their stride just like Louisville did. But here's some I mean, they've got a familiar face, Matt Cross. Can I believe he's still playing college basketball? Did you not know he was at SMU? No, that dude's not a doctor yet. No, he's at SMU and he is. He's having a I mean he's having a good season. I mean, right now, he's averaging Okay, now I'm worried ten points, eight rebounds, a couple of assists. So you know, he's their third leading scorer. They're led by Booby Miller, who transferred to SMU after playing last year at Wake Forest. And he's putting up good numbers and you know, he's having a good season fourteen point six assists. But you know, he's somebody that I've seen play at Wake and even at Central Michigan. And again, like I'm sorry, Booby Miller could be better than he is. Louisville's still going to have a better point guard because Chucky hepburn. I mean, look, Chucky has has had games that you don't even realize that he was not super efficient when it comes to shooting the ball. And it's because when somebody brings up Chucky had an off night, they're probably just talking about that he went, you know, three of eight from the field or something, because you're thinking to yourself, off night. He was a pest defensively and created all kinds of havoc. He had seven assists, which, by the way, I'm pretty sure Chucky's had seven or more assists like the last six games. So you know, if Chucky does what he did against Syracuse, where he's doing all those things and he's knocking down a bunch of threes, then Louisville's gonna be in a good position. And I'm not too worried about Booby Miller.
Speaker 5: But again, I know some Booby and boot By with a p oh woh boohuss. That's cool, right, Okay, yeah, yeah, it's less cool to sound the alarm? Is that the booby alarm? Yeah, booby trap? And then another fall into one of those.
Speaker 2: Their second leading scorer is Chuck Harris, who is a transfer from Butler, and you know, he's a fine player. And one guy that really I wouldn't say worries me, but I'm very intrigued to watch is a true freshman who is from Turkey. He's seven foot two, two hundred and sixty five pounds cement yigoty Oglu, I believe is how you say that he's for you again? Seven to two, playing twenty four minutes a game, and he's he's averaging ten points, just under ten, nine point six and six and a half board, shooting fifty six percent from the field. So he's clearly one of the better freshman that we have in the ACC. And I mean, I'm gonna have to pull up now now now I'm looking at the real nerding, the real nerdy analytic numbers when it comes to pace of play, because what I instantly think of when I see that this guy is playing twenty four minutes a game and he's seven ft two twitter and sixty five pounds. I'm thinking, Okay, let's make this big guy run because man like, he's probably not nearly as suited to play the type of style that Louisville wants to play, because you know, it's harder for those guys to move. But maybe I'm wrong, Maybe he's this big, giant, thick in rem run.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I haven't haven't seen him play a whole lot, but I would imagine they're not gonna want to play super fast with a guy like that. But then again, they just I mean, right now, they've been as much as Louisville's been the story for good reason. This SEMU team has been on fire. I mean, they scored one hundred and seventeen points against Miami. Now, they did have a dud game as far as scoring against Virginia, but they had ninety three in their.
Speaker 3: Game against Georgia Tech.
Speaker 2: They've had other games where they're above one hundred and acc play one zero three against Boston College. So this level team has been really good defensively, really good the last six games. And if they keep if they keep that up tonight, I'm confident they'll get it done.
Speaker 3: Let's get to our last break.
Speaker 2: We'll come back on the other side and wrap it up right here on Sports Talk seven ninety Now.
Speaker 1: Back to coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: We're wrapping this thing up here, very little time left, and I'm just looking here at what I want to bet on the night. And when you're when you're struggling, you're having some issues. I'm very fortunate, like a lot of people, to be able to turn to my parents. Still very close to my parents. They're healthy, and you know, I'm getting to the point now where I got to keep reminding myself, like, hey, you know they're getting older. I should cherish my time with them. But how about my dad, the old man, the Mark Coffee Parlay special Here, I'm just gonna ride what he's going with and I'm gonna share with you guys, because maybe you want to as well.
Speaker 4: Throw all the records, everything that you know about betting.
Speaker 2: At And by the way, he's got at least one leg here that I know you were big on Mississippi State plus eight and a half at Tennessee. He's got Vandy plus twelve at Bama. He's got Ohio State plus Tenant Purdue. He's got Wisconsin plus three and a half at UCLA, and he's got Louisville plus one and a half at SMU. So I asked him, and I was so happy that he knew what I meant when I asked the question, and I got this from you. But he sent that not even maybe realizing. I'm sure he did know. But all of them are dogs, I said, are the dogs barking Martead? He said, yep, So he's not confidence.
Speaker 4: Fire emojis as you can.
Speaker 2: I will, I will, and no kidding, Like I haven't looked at a few of those games. The one that I just don't know about because I just I think U c l A is fade territory. But teams that go out west have had a tough time when they make that adjustment, and Wisconsin's going to LA.
Speaker 5: So like that has been playing better the last couple of weeks. Yeah, yeah, ever since our guy went on that ramt.
Speaker 2: Well, initially that backfired, but now they're starting to starting to clean some things up.
Speaker 3: But we're out of time. Have a good night, everybody, Let's let's go cards