Speaker 1: Kathy and Elliott Lewis on stage. Kathy Lewis, Elliott Lewis, two of the most distinguished names in radio, are varying each week in their own theater, starring in a repertory of friends Brodden's stories of their own. And you are choosing radio's foremost players and radio's foremost plays. Drama, comedy, adventure, mystery, melodrama, Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: Mister Elliott Lewis, good evening, May I present my wife, Kathy, Good evening.
Speaker 3: Before we tell you about tonight's play, Elliot and I want to thank all of you for the lovely letters you've written to us, all of the letters, the complimentary ones and the critical ones. We do appreciate your taking the time to write, and we thank you.
Speaker 4: And now for tonight.
Speaker 2: There are certain conditions under which it becomes necessary to call the police. Some people abuse the privilege and call wolf constantly on any.
Speaker 3: Pretext, and some people don't want any trouble, and in trying to prevent there being any trouble, they hesitate making a positive action like calling the police.
Speaker 4: And that, very briefly is what is going to happen tonight.
Speaker 3: The story is called Eddie, and it was written by E.
Speaker 5: Jack Newman.
Speaker 3: Seeing a street, a car parked at the curb in front of a cafeteria.
Speaker 5: In the car a young man smoking a cigarette.
Speaker 3: As the clock on the dashboard of the car passes nine, The door of the cafeteria opens and a young lady walks out into the street, looks around for a minute, and then starts to walk towards the bus station at the corner.
Speaker 4: Hey, hey, Melvia over here? What here? Melva over here?
Speaker 5: Ay?
Speaker 6: Do I know you?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Sure do, Melvin. My name's Eddie. Here, hop in. Come on, oh you little old me, Come on, get in. I'll drive you home. What's wrong?
Speaker 5: I think I'm crazy or something.
Speaker 3: I don't even know.
Speaker 4: I just told you my name's Eddie. Come on.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure of yourself, aren't you.
Speaker 4: I'm still sitting here alone.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm harmless. Nothing to be afraid of it all. Now that we're till Melvin.
Speaker 5: Home, h O m E home, get it home.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 3: It's on sixth Street, five hundred block. Turn left to the next corner and then straight in.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're the boss.
Speaker 5: Five twenty one sixth Street, Turn right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, is there uh uh, Anything, any little thing I can say or do that'll change your mind.
Speaker 5: Melbourne, change my mind about what about.
Speaker 4: Taking you home? It's a swell night and couple of friends of mine?
Speaker 5: Oh oh lord, do you do this all the time?
Speaker 4: Do what? What do you mean? Look?
Speaker 3: I've seen you in the cafeteria three or four times this week. Every time you came by my checkstand.
Speaker 5: You had some remark to make. You found out my name. I don't know how.
Speaker 3: And now you waited for me to get off work tonight. You got me in your car and you think the whole thing settled. Let me tell you what you think is gonna happen isn't going to happen.
Speaker 5: At all, Not on your life.
Speaker 4: Oh sir, Oh no, you got it all over.
Speaker 3: I don't think for one minute that I'd be sitting here, You're in this car with you for any other reason than that I.
Speaker 5: I had a hard day and I can use alyft home.
Speaker 4: Well, I guess you got me squared away.
Speaker 7: Huh uh huh.
Speaker 4: But I still wanna take you out? Where we go?
Speaker 5: What is it with you anyw we.
Speaker 4: It's just that I got a surprise for you, Melva.
Speaker 3: Uh oh no, oh, no, you haven't, big boy. You may think you have, but you haven't, not on your life, honest. Oh no, no.
Speaker 2: Surre, Oh no, seriously. Today I told a couple of people that you were my girl. I told him you and me got along just fine, and that we'd meet him later on this evening and had some fun.
Speaker 4: What do you think of that?
Speaker 5: I think you're crazy? What do you think of that?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know you from that signboard over there, and you don't know me.
Speaker 5: How do you know I'm not married?
Speaker 4: No rings? Oh yeah, let me see your hand?
Speaker 5: Keep driving, Melva.
Speaker 2: What I found out your name by taking a table right near the railing and listening for that boss of yours when he talked to you. If I made cracks at you, I was only trying to get you to notice me. And I was out front waiting for you this evening because I asked a bus boy and he told me you got off at nine.
Speaker 4: Now that's a little trouble to go to just to get a brush off.
Speaker 5: That's the way it goes.
Speaker 2: I even rented this car, put on my best suit. Now what's the guy supposed to do when he sees a girl he'd like to meet.
Speaker 4: No, what's he gonna do? Pass her up?
Speaker 2: Because nobody's around to introduce him.
Speaker 5: You don't look like the kind who ever passed anybody.
Speaker 2: I wanted to know you, Melvia. I went at it the only way I could think of. Now that's the whole story.
Speaker 5: You're a pretty good talker, Eddy, I try it being I'm gonna tell you something. Yeah, I could probably like you.
Speaker 3: You look nice enough, you seemed to be along okay, But I wouldn't let myself like you because I see something else.
Speaker 4: What's that?
Speaker 3: I don't think you're any good. I just don't think you're any good at all.
Speaker 4: I suppose you've used that on a few other guys in your time.
Speaker 5: I suppose I have.
Speaker 3: I always meant it when I said it.
Speaker 5: Slow down, Uh Robin, right have there?
Speaker 4: Oh? Yeah? Sure? Uh, good night?
Speaker 5: Thanks the right?
Speaker 4: Oh white mother? Or what I wanna talk to you?
Speaker 5: Oh? No, you certainly are good.
Speaker 4: No, let's side listen. I feel in your direction.
Speaker 2: I wanted to see you tonight and have you meet my friends because I've been in this town four weeks now, and I don't know one girl. I'd like to know you. If you won't go out with me tonight. That's okay. Maybe you'll go out with me some other night. That's up to you, you know. Uh right now, I i'd like to have you kiss.
Speaker 4: Me like you meant it.
Speaker 5: Are you kidding? Thanks to the lift? Good night?
Speaker 4: Oh Melvi, I went and got you some flowers.
Speaker 5: Well, i'll be dark here for you. I don't want your flowers. What's the matter with you? I said goodbye to you once tonight. I wait, Melvie, it's eleven o'clock. I got a lot of things to do tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Are you go?
Speaker 3: Well Melville, wait a minute, Well alright, what what for heaven's sakes do you want just to see you? We'll take a look so you get good night.
Speaker 2: You were sore when you left me tonight, weren't you?
Speaker 3: Can't you get it through your head. It doesn't make any difference, no difference at all. Now, now, will you please? That's probably the manager complaining about the noise.
Speaker 4: Gosh, I didn't mean to make any noise.
Speaker 3: Hello, yes, missus Robin, Yes, of course, and I'm terribly sorry. Yes, good night. That was the manager and she's had a couple of complaints already. Now will you get out of here and let me get some sleep, Go go meet your friends.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't wanna meet him without you, after all I told him about you and everything.
Speaker 5: Go please go go, just go away, go on.
Speaker 4: What do you want the flower?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Thanks, they're they're very nice. Sitting now, good night.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't wanna get thrown out of here on account of you.
Speaker 6: Goodbye? What what do.
Speaker 5: You want now?
Speaker 4: Can I see tomorrow?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 5: We have nothing in common, you and I.
Speaker 6: There's nothing for us to talk.
Speaker 3: About or do together. We just aren't it. Why don't you find.
Speaker 5: Another girl somewhere?
Speaker 4: I want you, not so loud.
Speaker 5: I want you Melvi come here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now, I'm gonna tell you once and for a while. No, I should never have let you drive me home tonight, but I I was so tired. I didn't like the idea of standing up on a bus all the way here. That's all there was to it. I'm sure there are eighteen hundred girls around this town or just dying for somebody like you to come along in a night like this. Why did you go find a bar somewhere? Have your suffered bring and look things over. You'll find somebody and then you can meet your friends.
Speaker 4: It's a pretty nice apartment, Melvin, and I.
Speaker 5: Don't want you in it. Go home now, couldn't now.
Speaker 4: I don't suppose you have a bottle of beer or something around.
Speaker 3: I don't suppose I have. Go on, now, I'm getting angry.
Speaker 4: Now I haven't done anything.
Speaker 3: When you've made a pest of yourself already, you're just there's the manager again. Well, yes, missus, Robin y, Yes, he he's leaving right now.
Speaker 5: I know the rules.
Speaker 3: Good night. Now, now you get out of here just as best as you can. You really really mean it.
Speaker 5: Now, go on, go on? How about tomorrow?
Speaker 3: No, no, not tomorrow, or the next day or the day after that. Now listen, I'll call the police if you don't leave right now.
Speaker 4: I'll leave, Melville. I'll leave. Don't worry. You won't have to call any police.
Speaker 5: Well, then go when.
Speaker 4: I get good and ready, that's where i'll go. I kind of like it here.
Speaker 5: We'll see about that. I want the police.
Speaker 4: I'll make an awful ruckus around here.
Speaker 3: You just wait, oh, Gladstone three nine six two, Yes, you just wait.
Speaker 4: You don't wanna do that?
Speaker 5: Don't die, Oh, don't die.
Speaker 2: Manager's gonna be kind of sore on no matter who's right or who's wrong.
Speaker 5: Let's wait.
Speaker 3: Now, listen, this is your last chance. Will you go now or do I have him come out and get you?
Speaker 4: Okay, Melvin, I'll go.
Speaker 3: Hello, I'm sorry I've bothered you. No, Oh, there's nothing wrong.
Speaker 5: Alright, and there's a door.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Melvi, what can't we be friends?
Speaker 9: No, I assure you, I'm having this a lot of blogning.
Speaker 4: I'll tell you. I just left her.
Speaker 2: She said she had to change clothes all didn't wanna go out in the dress she.
Speaker 4: Was working it.
Speaker 5: Why didn't you wait?
Speaker 4: There was your cheering.
Speaker 2: Well, she always takes so long. I thought i'd drop in here and meet you guys, have a beer.
Speaker 9: Then you're going all the way back out to her place and take her up and bring her back here.
Speaker 4: Oh it isn't so far.
Speaker 2: It's just over at five twenty one Sixth Street, five twenty one.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, so nice. It's too to be.
Speaker 8: You said you had it all fixed with Melby, You had a date with her, and she was going to get a couple of friends from me and Wold. Now it's almost twelve o'clock midnight. You show up with no dates for us, but without her too. She was giving us a lying about her ready?
Speaker 4: Why I want to do that?
Speaker 7: Why?
Speaker 4: I don't know? That's what I'm trying to figure out.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Tony and I've been waiting here for an hour.
Speaker 4: Didn't she know she was going out with you to night? Of course she knew. What's the matter with you? Guys?
Speaker 2: When I go back to pick her up, we'll get the girl she has for you, and then we can all go out.
Speaker 4: You know what I think? What I think? You don't even know her? I know her? What are you talking about?
Speaker 9: You've handed me and Tony so much hot air since you've been working at the parking lot that we don't know whether to believe anything you.
Speaker 4: Say or not. Right, Tony, Right, we won't. Actually, Yeah, how about it. Melvin's changing her clothes. You've been here a half an hour, She's had time to change.
Speaker 9: Why don't you go over and get her right now and bring those two girlfriends.
Speaker 4: To hers along? Yeah, she said, plenty of time. Well I want another beer. Let's leave this joker, Tony. Yeah, no way. Uh, We've had enough so long.
Speaker 9: Hey, guys, I'm gonna save it, save it for Tony's bear in mind.
Speaker 4: You can pop for your own.
Speaker 3: Come on, Tony, you want another buddy?
Speaker 4: What? Oh yeah, sure.
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 4: Gree alright?
Speaker 5: Six two?
Speaker 4: Hello, Hello Melva, This is Eddie Myers.
Speaker 2: Now you listen to me. I'll be there in fifteen minutes. You better have some clothes on and be ready.
Speaker 4: To go out with me. So help me. You're going out with me tonight.
Speaker 1: You are listening to Kathy and Elliott Lewis on stage. Tonight's play Eddie. You won't want to be anywhere else but where you are now. Later this evening, when CBS Radio presents The Ving Crosby Show with Bing special guests Dinah Shore and Findland Jovenuti, It's Bing and Dinah in solos and duets that will capture your heart tonight at the Stars address.
Speaker 7: MM just a minute?
Speaker 4: What oh? Malvi? So dock here in the lobby. I can only see your cigarette. You ready to go?
Speaker 3: No, I'm not ready to go. I've been trying to get ready to go to bed for the last hour. I was going to phone the police after you've phoned, but I decided to wait for you down here instead.
Speaker 4: Aren't you going to go out with me?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 3: I am not going out with you tonight or any other night.
Speaker 5: Now, you just turn right around and get on out of here and leave me alone.
Speaker 3: I don't want your phoning or coming by or anything else. And if I see you in the cafeteria again, I'll complain to mister Ross and he'll have you taken care of.
Speaker 4: You sure make it hard for a guy.
Speaker 3: I want you to go. Don't touch me, don't put your hands on you.
Speaker 5: Who's that?
Speaker 3: Who's out there in the hole?
Speaker 5: It's me, Missus Robbins. Melva.
Speaker 10: Oh, is everything all right?
Speaker 5: Yes, everything's fine.
Speaker 10: It's past twelve, Melva.
Speaker 5: I know, Missus Robbins, you've.
Speaker 10: Already disturbed some of the people in the building.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry.
Speaker 9: Has your friend left yet?
Speaker 5: He's just leaving, Missus Robinson.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not you.
Speaker 10: Sure everything's all right, Melvine?
Speaker 4: Oh, everything's fine.
Speaker 5: Who are you?
Speaker 4: I'm a friend of hers. Who are you?
Speaker 10: I'm the manager here? Are you the one who's been causing all of the trouble?
Speaker 4: What trouble?
Speaker 5: He's leaving right now, Missus.
Speaker 2: Rabbins, I'm causing any trouble. I came to see Melvia's there a law against any don't.
Speaker 10: Allow visitors in any of the apartments after ten o'clock at night.
Speaker 5: Didn't you see the sign?
Speaker 4: What sign?
Speaker 5: It's right there?
Speaker 4: People have been drinking not a drop have You don't get smart.
Speaker 5: With me, young man.
Speaker 10: My husband's sleeping right inside that doorway, and I wouldn't hesitate to call him. If you can't keep a civil tongue in your.
Speaker 4: Head, calm, I'd like to meet him.
Speaker 5: Will you shut up?
Speaker 4: I'll call him.
Speaker 10: No though, we don't like people like this visiting here and breaking our rules.
Speaker 3: I didn't ask him to come and see me, Missus Robins. He just came uninvited.
Speaker 5: Then why don't you go?
Speaker 4: I guess cause I wanna meet your husband.
Speaker 5: Keep your bos down.
Speaker 10: People are trying to sleep in this building. They have to get up and go to work tomorrow morning.
Speaker 2: Why don't you go back to bed so we can finish talking about what we were talking about.
Speaker 3: It'll be all right, Missus Robbins. He's he's he's just leaving you. You go back to your apartment now, I'll talk to him.
Speaker 10: I don't like this kind of thing going on around here.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I'm terribly sorry, Missus Robbins.
Speaker 10: I can phone the police, you know, Yeah, I know, and I'll do it too, Milburn, I have to. I want this young man out of here in two minutes. If he hasn't left by then, i'll phone the piece and you'll have to find a new.
Speaker 5: Place to live. Ah alright, missus Robinson, Now look what you've done.
Speaker 2: I've done anything. What's the matter with the old batch? You pay your don't you? But you gotta be blowing her horn off a bout?
Speaker 7: Go?
Speaker 5: Just get out of here?
Speaker 4: Do you want to smoke?
Speaker 5: No? I mean no, Will you go?
Speaker 4: I guess I'm out of matchess.
Speaker 3: I'll let her phone the police. I swear I will, and she'll do it too. If I'm gonna be thrown out, I just soon have you thrown in?
Speaker 5: Now you go.
Speaker 4: Why didn't you go out with me tonight?
Speaker 5: Cause I was tired.
Speaker 3: I I didn't wanna go out with you or anybody else.
Speaker 2: If it had been another night, maybe, if you had been rested up and not feeling so bad, you might have gone out with me.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, yes, yes, go please go.
Speaker 4: I picked a bad night.
Speaker 5: Huh, you picked a bad night.
Speaker 2: We could still get in my car and go to a drive in or something and have a sandwich way.
Speaker 4: You say, no, oh, come on, it's pretty warmer.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 3: I don't wanna go anywhere with you.
Speaker 5: Can't you get that through your head?
Speaker 4: Why what's the matter with me?
Speaker 5: She's gonna call the police?
Speaker 4: You just watch? What's your last name? Mel I?
Speaker 2: I saw in the mailbox, but I forgot What difference does it make? I might wanna write your letters.
Speaker 5: She's going to call them.
Speaker 4: I tell you, hungry, Let's go up to your apartment right the ice boat.
Speaker 3: I'm tired of fooling with you, mister. You can just stay here in the lobby just as long as you want.
Speaker 5: Who I don't care.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go upstairs and I'm gonna go to bed. If she calls the police at your funeral, not mine, You just stay right here as long as you like. Just as long as you like. She'll call 'em. Believe me, she will. So you'll be as smart as you like with them. They know how to handle people like you.
Speaker 4: Melva Malva, Melva?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 4: She gone upstairs?
Speaker 5: Are you still here just leaving? Well you should be.
Speaker 4: Why don't you mind your own business and go to bed?
Speaker 5: I woolly talk to you like that.
Speaker 10: You get out of this lobby and don't let me ever see.
Speaker 4: You here again? Oh go to bad.
Speaker 5: Oh m.
Speaker 11: M m.
Speaker 2: Hi Eddie, Tony Wald Ali, where's Melva?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: She's upstairs? Where's the girl? She was gonna get for the rest? She gone, But you guys ran out on me? So we'd here, no pig sh here we are now.
Speaker 9: That's all Off told us where she lived, so we went out and had a beard, decided to come over here.
Speaker 4: Well, sh she hasn't got any friends for you now, not this late? Hey, only a quarter of one shank good the evening.
Speaker 12: Well, you're out of luck. Looks like you're out of luck too. Why oh, don't the leaving her this Yearly? You two have a fight.
Speaker 4: We never fight. We get along fine.
Speaker 9: How long you say you're known already.
Speaker 4: Ever since I've been in town. How'd you meet her? Just the way I told you?
Speaker 2: She works at the cafeteria and I walked up to her, told her my name, so I would like.
Speaker 4: To take her on.
Speaker 1: Mm.
Speaker 4: We've been going and steady ever since, just like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I wish I had your touch with the women at.
Speaker 4: Eye me too. What's the matter? Don't you believe me?
Speaker 9: It's pretty early to be leaving a girl you're going steady with?
Speaker 4: Who says I'm leaving? I say you'll leave. Well, you're wrong, I'm not.
Speaker 2: That's so I just came down and get something out the car, like what uh some keys? I left some keys in the car. I think must be in here somewhere.
Speaker 5: Look at the ignition.
Speaker 4: This is my house key. I guess I didn't leave and hear it. Then, well I gotta get back.
Speaker 2: Upstairs, fell us, I'll uh, I'll see you later, huh yeah, sure, Now I'm sorry about your dates.
Speaker 4: Make it some other time.
Speaker 5: Huh oh sure.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 4: By the way, Uh, what was my girl's name, Glory?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yours was Betty?
Speaker 1: Betty?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 4: Oh I don't know her last name. Well, i'll see fellas. Yeah, m.
Speaker 5: A.
Speaker 4: I'm just waited up to.
Speaker 10: See if you try to sneak back here, and now you turn around and get out of here, go on, get.
Speaker 2: Out, shut up, you shut up, you old woman, You shut up, and you go back to bet m Melva, Hey, Melva, Melvi, Hey, Hey.
Speaker 4: Hey, let me in, Melva. So stupid unto this chain, let me in.
Speaker 2: I will not now listen, my two friends are downstairs, the ones I told all about you.
Speaker 4: They don't think you know me that we go together.
Speaker 3: They're right, we don't go together. We never did and we never will. You look crazy, But that's what's the matter with you. You're just crazy.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna phoned the police for sure this time.
Speaker 2: Come on, come on, you crazy darn Why didn't you go out with me? All I wanted you to do is go out with me and have a couple of laughs. It wouldn't hurt you. You gone out with a lot of men.
Speaker 5: Don't come here.
Speaker 2: You work from one to nine every day, sitting there on a stool behind a cash register. Six days a week. A guy comes along an office to take you to a movie. You're dancing or something like that, and right.
Speaker 4: Away you get huffy about it.
Speaker 2: It's more important for you to hang around here in this apartment and remember how good you were getting rid of them, than it is to put on a dress and go out and have some fun.
Speaker 4: Get out of here.
Speaker 2: They would have seen you with me, and then everything would have been all right. I tried to be nice to you, to do things for you, but no, you had to be so smart. No, no, you know what, you stupid little dame, Why wouldn't you go out with me?
Speaker 4: Why? Why wouldn't you go around with me?
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't you Why that's all I asked you those go out with me?
Speaker 4: Why I wouldn't you? Did you? Hey? Meilber Hey, heymeilb it mel it.
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: Police apartment Hello? Uh sergeant who uh sergeant? Uh my name is Eddie Myers. Uh yeah, I uh we we listen to me a minute and then I'll tell you, you know, or to listen to me.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: My name is Eddie Myers. And I came here a month ago from Omaha.
Speaker 2: I got a job in a parking lot, making thirty two bucks a week. I didn't know anybody except the guys I worked with, and I told him I had a girl here. I I had one in mind, and I tried to get her to go out with me tonight, but she wouldn't do it. Uh five twenty one sixth Street of Apartment twenty two listened though I Uh. I bought a new suit and I rented a car. I did everything to show that I was a nice guy. But but uh, and she wouldn't. She wouldn't go out with me. Oh it's her place, nor mind doesn't matter. The sergeant, I I killed her. Oh well I had to kill her. No, she wouldn't be my girl, sergeant. N sergeant, were you listening?
Speaker 4: Every guy has to have a girl, don't you think? Well, that's so I wanted. I just want to have a girl. I just wanted to have a girl.
Speaker 1: Eddie, starring Kathy and Elliott Lewis. In a moment, mister and missus Lewis will tell you about next week's play. Tomorrow night, CBS Radio's documentary production staff goes into action to bring you over most of these same stations an exciting, challenging view of what's likely to happen if any or all our major cities in the United States came under atomic attack? How effective is our present military defense network? Could we, today, if necessary, successfully handle the frightful aftermath of atomic attack? The answers to these and money they're pressing questions should be clear tomorrow night, when CBS Radio presents the special program Bomb Target USA, merited by Arthur Godfrey. Now once again Kathy and Elliott Lewis.
Speaker 5: And that was the story of Eddie.
Speaker 3: The author E Jack Newman, who is able to make the normal terrifying.
Speaker 2: Thanks also this evening to the gentleman who thought Eddie was getting a date for them, Clayton Post and Jerry.
Speaker 3: Hausner, and to Peggy weber landlady at Melvis's apartment house, away.
Speaker 2: From all of this next week when we present a new comedy by Morton Fine and David Friedkin called Dig the Thief.
Speaker 3: It's about a very old bunko trick and an amusing way of breaking it, and we're going out west to prove our points.
Speaker 4: Until next week. Thank you for listening, and good night, good night.
Speaker 1: Music for Tonight's story was composed by Frets and conducted by lud Gluskin. The Kathy and Elliott theme is by Raynovo, and the program is transcribed and directed by mister Lewis George Wall. Streaking America's forty five million radio families listen most to the CBS Radio network