Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to Sunday Service, Episode fifty. I'm your host, Josh Monday. If you don't know me, I'm a Christian rapper, voter, husband, farther and on me veteran. I almost said cultic Conspiracy because I I was gonna say, welcome to cultic Conspiracy. Sorry, this is a Sunday Service brought to you by cultic Conspiracy. Sorry I totally butchered that. But anyways, it's all good. So yeah, we're gonna be going over first, Samuel thirteen is we're gonna be at But first I would like to give some shout outs to some people that commented last week. It says that ten people commented, but I'm looking it looks like I can only see one, two, three, four, five, six seven. So we have Brad Gillis. Thank you again, brother Abby, Thank you, Josh Fashing, thank you so much. Really appreciate your brother, Angela Kelly once again, Thank you, Matt, thank you, Bro, appreciate you commenting, and then linked to history It says good podcast. However, the commercials are interrupting it way too much. Also, commercials are about liquor that yeah, see, I can't control any of that. On my personal podcast, I put on there to keep the adult commercials away. They say, oh, you can make more money, but I don't do that. So now cult conspiracy obviously different. Their whole entire platform is not Christian, right, so their whole platform is all conspiracy based. So they can't really make it so that the ads come in just from my show only, not liquor or anything like that. So yeah, and like I said, I can't really control that. But thank you for listening to the link to history and thank you for the comment. MDMP twenty two. Really appreciate your comment. And let's check out. So we got three comments. We got Angela, Kelly, Josh Fashing, and jcon forty four twenty for Wednesday service. Who's doing. I like to shout you guys out. I really appreciate you and yeah, so yeah, very awesome. Interesting. Hope you guys are doing well. I hope you had a blessed week, and I hope you enjoyed Wednesday Service. And now I'm gonna go ahead and jump into first Samuel thirteen's intro. But first I'd like to share the screen for those that could see on Patreon and YouTube. Later when this goes up. So that way we have the versus on the screen, and we're going to be in the new King James version for those that are new that are listening that way, you know where I'm going. And let me go ahead and go over the First Samuel thirteen intro It says Saul story and First Samuel thirteen offers a powerful lesson in obedience, patience, and trust in God. In times of fear and desperation, Saul chose to lean on his own understanding, leading to his downfall. This chapter serves as a reminder that the true faith involves trust in God's timing, obedience to his commands, and the wisdom to acknowledge his authority. So keep all that in mind as we're reading. Excuse me, and perfect so I'll hop to my other notes here. So just to let you guys know, the first verse and First Samuel thirteen is incomplete, okay, in the original manuscript. So the first verse in Hebrew and the original manuscript is actually missing some parts. So I'll read about that real quick, just so you guys are no that way, you know, when I find little things like that, I like to let you guys know. First Samuel thirteen one is incomplete in the Hebrew text. It lacks specific details about Saul's age, when he became king and the length of his reign. Some translations attempt to fill in the gaps with estimations, while others leave it as is. The Greek Subtusian version omits the verse entirely. Here's more detailed information. The original Hebrew text has blanks for Saul's age and the length of his reign, leaving the verse in an incomplete state. Translation variations, some like the NRSV, reproduce the gaps with ellipses and provide footnotes explaining the problem. Others, like the KGV, don't acknowledge the issue and provide numbers as if they were accurate. Many modern translations, such as the NIV, the NASB, the NALT, and the NLT fill in the gaps with thirty for Saul's age and forty two for his reign length, based on internal biblical ch chronology from other sources like Josephus and Acts thirteen twenty one. Possible reasons for the textual problem scribal errors. Ancient scribes copying the text by hand may have made errors in numbers. Either by dropping them or misinterpreting abbreviations lost original numbers. It's possible that the original numbers were lost or damaged in the transmission of the text symbolic meaning. Some scholars suggest that the numbers in the verse may have been symbolic rather than literal importance to the verse. Despite the textual issue, the verse is still important because it sets the stage for the following narrative about Saul's reign and his relationship with the Philistines. So just want to let you guys know that we're gonna go ahead and read the new King James version. So as I'm reading, just keep in mind that the numbers could be inaccurate. I just want to be up front and honest and let you guys know that when I find little things like that, I know it's probably maybe not so important to some of you, but to me. You know, I'm like a kind of a Bible nerd, so kind of like stuff like that. So let's go ahead and start reading. So Saul's unlawful sacrifice, this is gonna be first Samuel thirteen, Verse one. Saul's reign. Saul reigned one year, and when he had reigned two years, for Israel. Saul chose for himself. Three thousand men of Israel. Two thousand were with Saul and mike Mash and the mountains of Bethel, and two thousand were with Jonathan and gabee A Benjamin. The rest of the people. He sent away every man to his tent, and Jonathan attacked the garrison of the Philistines that was in Giba, and the Philistines heard of it. Then Saul blew the trumpet throughout all the lands, saying, let the Hebrews hear. Now all Israel heard it said that Saul had attacked a garrison of the Philistines, and that Israel had also became an abomination to the Philistines. And the people were called together to Saul and Gilgol. Then the Philistines gathered together to fight with Israel, thirty thousand chariots and six thousand horsemen and people as the sand, which is a metaphor for when there's a lot of people gathered, they'll say like the sand of the sea, which is on the seashore in the multitude. And they came up and encamped in Mishmash on the east of beth Avon. When the men of Israel saw that they were in danger, for the people were distressed. Then the people hid in caves, in thickets and rocks, in holes and in pits, and some of the Hebrews crossed over the Jordan to the land of Gad and Gilead. As for Saul, he was in Gilgall and all of the people followed him trembling. Then he waited seven days according to the time set by Samuel. But Samuel did not come to Gilgall, and the people were scattered from him. So Saul. So Saul said, bring a burnt offering and peace offering here to me, and he offered the burno offering. Now what happened as soon as he had finished presenting the burn offering that Samuel came and Saul went out to meet him, that he may greet him. And Samuel said, but what have you done. We're gonna stop there very important part, you know what. We're not going to stop there. We're going to continue until the end of that little portion on verse twelve, and then we'll stop that way, you know what Saul said. Saul said, when I saw the people were scattered from me, and they did not come within the days of appointed, and that the Philistines gathered together at Missmash. Then I said, the Philistines will not come down to come down on me at Guilgall, and I have not made supplication to the Lord. Therefore I felt compelled and offered a burnt offering. As you guys probably know, to God, that's very offensive, right, He's not a priest. You're not supposed to do that, right. So Saul's initial success and impatience, so that was definitely some impatience. Let me just read my notes. Saul begins his reign with the military success, but his impatience leads him to act foolishly. He waited seven days, the time set by Samuel, but Samuel did not come to Gilgall, and the troops began to deser him. Saul's impatience and waiting for Samuel to offer the burn offering reveals a lack of trust in God's timing. Samuel told him to wait seven days, and Samuel was on his way. He was coming to come do the sacrifice. Paul got impatient and he went ahead and did the sacrifice. So what did he do? This is complete disobedience. And he's supposed to be the king and he's supposed to follow what God says. The only way he's gonna win the battle against the Philistines is if he obeys the Lord and allows Samuel to come and do this offering. So let me just we'll read a little deeper into that. That's initial success. Okay, yes, so here we go. Despite his promising start, sauls his reign is married by impatience and disobedience to God's commands. A pivotal moment occurs during the conflict with the Philistines. As the Philistines gathered to fight Israel, Saul waits for Samuel to come and offer sacrifices. However, when Samuel delays, Saul takes matters into his own hands and offers that burnt offerings himself. This act of impatience is recorded in First Samuel thirteen, verse nine. So he said, bring me the burn offering in peace, and offered up the burn offering. Saul's impatient leads to rebuke from Samuel, who arrives to Samuel and finishes the offering, which is in Yeah. So we're gonna go ahead and continue reading, and we'll get back to this portion. So and Samuel said to Saul, this is gonna be First Samuel thirteen, verse thirteen in the Bible. Okay, I'm off of the nose fortune. And Samuel said to Saul that he had done foolishly. You had not kept the commandment of the Lord, your God, which he commanded you. Now the Lord would have established your kingdom over Israel forever. But now your kingdom shall not continue. The Lord has sought for himself a man after his own heart, and the Lord has commanded him to be a commander over his people. Because you have not kept what the Lord commanded you. Then Samuel l rose and went up to Gilgal and Gibbee and Benjamin, and Saul numbered the people present with him about six hundred men. So you see what's going on here. Okay, that disobedience caused that, So we'll go ahead and continue. In my notes, it says Saul's impatient Lisa rebuke from Samuel, who arrived just as Saul finish as the offering. Samuel declares in First Samuel thirteen, verses thirteen through fourteen, you acted foolishly, Samuel declared. You have not kept the command of your Lord, your God. If you had, he would have established your kingdom over Israel for all time. But now your kingdom will not endure. The Lord has sought out a man after his own heart and appointed him ruler over his people. Because you have not kept the Lord's command. This incident marks the beginning of Saul's decline. His failure to wait for Samuel and his subsequent disobedience demonstrate to lack of faith and trusting God's timing. Saul's impatience ultimately cost him enduring dynasty that could have been his. Him the enduring dynasty that could have been his. You know, he could have passed down the throne to his son Jonathan. But because he made this mistake, which is huge. I know it might not seem huge to us, but it's huge back then then he obviously he is getting the throne taken away from him. And in conclusion, it says Saul's account serves as a contrary cautionary tale about the dangers of impatience and the importance of obedience to God. His initial success as king is overshadowed by his failure to adhere to divine instructions, leading to his eventual rejection by God. Saul's life underscores the biblical principle that true leadership is rooted in faithfulness and submission to God's will. Amen to that. And then Jesus also says, if I can't, if I can't trust you with the small things, how we're we gonna trust you with the big things. You see. So this is kind of similar to what Samuel or what Saul just did. Right, He couldn't handle the small things. You can't even handle waiting on the Lord, a small thing of waiting on the Lord and waiting on Samuel. Samuel delayed, he went ahead and just got impatient, and he just did the offering himself. So we'll go ahead and go back to the word I mean, just oh, okay, there's a little more steff on my note. Sorry, We'll start at sixteen. In one moment disobedience, it's consequence of saul decision offered their offering. So the act of disobedience leads to the pronounce to the pronouncement of his kingdom that will endure. We can already went over that, so maybe I don't need to go too much into that. The importance of obedience. All story underscores the importance of obedience to God's commands. But now your kingdom will not endure. The Lord has sought out a man after his own heart. God values obedience over sacrifice and seeks leaders who are aligned with his heart. So he's showing you that he values obedience over sacrifice. Right. So that's the very important part for us to understand obedience over sacrifice. So what do we learn from that? Guys? To God, obedience is so important, and it's something that we kind of lack if we forget. Sometimes sometimes we just think, well, we're saved by grace through faith, so you know, you know, we're saved. We're good. We're good. We don't need to be obedient. But we got to understand that obedience, that disobedience separates us from God, which we don't want. There's a verse in the Bible where Jesus says that he never knew you, right, you prophesied in my name. Hold on the let me just look that up. I don't want to butcher the verse because I'm not even thinking about that portion of the Bible right now. I'm kind of digging into Samuel. So I never knew you verse. Okay, this is going to be Matthew seven twenty one through through twenty three. And I'm not in any way saying that you have to work for your salvation. But what I am saying is sin separates you from God. Right, So we just needed to be aware of certain verses in the Bible. I never knew you, not any not everyone who says to me, Lord Lord, shall enter the Kingdom of heaven. But he who does the will of my Father in heaven. So what is he saying? Like he's saying that the people that do the Willab's father in heaven, they know him. Many will say to me in that day, Lord Lord, have we not prophesized in your name, cast out demons in your name, and done many wonders in your name? And I will declare to them, I never knew you. Depart from me, you who practice lawlessness? What does that even mean? Lawlessness? Let's look it up, Matthew seven twenty three.
Speaker 2: Let me look it up in.
Speaker 1: I'll give you a hint. It definitely has to do with not being obedient. Okay, that definitely has to do with that, right, seven verse twenty three. So what it says in the King James, is you workers of iniquity. Iniquity? Right, let me see, sorry, click that Okay, here we go. It says they're the condition of without law because ignorant of it, because of violating at it, contempt and violation of law, iniquity or wickedness. That's what it says. So we got to understand that we God wants obedience. That verse is very good for you guys to understand, all right, So we'll go ahead and continue reading. That says no weapons for the army. So we're in First Samuel thirteen, verse sixteen saw Jonathan, his son and the people present them present with them remained in Giebaw, and Benjamin present with them remained in Gibaw. Benjamin, but the Philistines in camp and Missmash. Then raiders came out to the camp of the Philistines in three companies. One company turned onto the road to Oprah, to the land of Shoal or Schul, another company turned to the road to beth Huron, and another company turned to the road of the border that overlooks the valley of Zebium toward the wilderness. So there was no blacksmith to be found throughout the land of Israel. Let me just tell you why. Oh well, I might tell you right here. For the Philistines said, lest the Hebrews make soldi or spears, but all the age lights who go down to the Philistines to sharpen each man's plow, his mattic, his axe, and a sickle. And the charge for the sharpening was a pim for the for the plow shares and the pittocks and forks, and the axis to set the points of the goads. So basically they didn't allow any blacksmith to be in Israel. And what they did is they had that you had to go to the Philistines and pay it's called the pim, which is money for them to up in their their forks, their axes, for the plow, all that stuff. So they're actually charging them for that. So that way they couldn't have any weapons in the land, which is which is terrible. So it came about on the day of battle that there was neither sword nor spear found in the hand of any people who were with Saul and Jonathan. But they were found with Saul and Jonathan his son. So the only people that actually had a sword and a spear is Jonathan and Saul. At this point, and the garrison of the Philistines went out to pass and mishmash. So that's terrible, right, So we went in and finished chapter thirteen. But it's it's terrible that they don't allow them to defend themselves and to have any weapons. Kind of similar to what's going on over there right now in Israel. Right, all right, don't want to go into that, but anyways, but it's opposite, right there are not allowing the other people to have weapon. So all right, let's go over some practical applications for this chapter. One of them is very important for all of us to know and do. We need to trust in God's timing in moments of uncertainty. Trust that God's timing is perfect. Avoid the temptation to rush ahead of his plans. All right. Obedience over expedience is another one. Prioritize obedience to God's commands, even when it seems inconvenient or when others are pressuring you to act otherwise. Obedience, Amen. We need to prioritize obedience. We definitely have to because you feel that way for a reason. When you feel convicted and you feel like, oh, I shouldn't do this and you end up doing it and you feel bad, there's a reason because you're separating yourself from the Lord. Not for life, but for a little bit, just for a little, a little time. Okay, seek God's heart. Does another one, strive to be a person after God's own heart by aligning your desires and actions with his will. That's why Jesus says that he wants you know. It says it right there. I mean, I'm not trying to scare anybody, but it definitely says it right there. Not everyone will say it then to be Lord Lord shall enter the Kingdom of heaven. But he that doeth the will of my Father, which is in heaven. So that's why it says this, see God's own heart. Try to be a person after God's own heart and aligning your desires and actions with his will. That's what it says here. Very important to kind of line up with that versus perfectly. All right, let's go ahead and look at some connecting scriptures. We have a one that has been popping up very a lot in a lot of episodes, Proverbs three five through six, which is trust in the Lord with your heart and lean out on your own understanding in all your ways. Acknowledge Him, and he will make your path straight. This passage reinforces the importance of trusting God's guidance. Obviously Saul didn't do that, but David wrote, I'm sorry. Solomon wrote Proverbs, so obviously he had wisdom, so he knew that trust in. He knew trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean out on your own understanding. Right. And then we have Psalms thirty seven, verse seven, be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him. Now who wrote the Psalms? David? Who's David? Well, David's about to take over the throne from Saul, So obviously David has some patience, but not fret with men prosper in their ways when they carry out wicked schemes. This first encourages patience to trust in God's justice. And then we also have Acts thirteen, verse twenty two. After removing Saul, he raises up David, as their king had testified about him. I fl David said of Jesse, a man after my own heart, and he will do my will. This highlights the contrast between Saul and David, emphasizing the importance of a heart aligned with God. Amen. So all right, let's go ahead and go up to next chapter. Now we're in First Samuel fourteen. Let me just go over the intro. First Samuel fourteen teaches us about the importance of complete hold on. Let me just switch this so you guys can have that up there. Okay. First Samuel fourteen teaches us about the importance of complete trust in God as shown by Jonathan, and the disastrous consequences of acting impulsively as demonstrated by Saul. We learned that faith coupled with wisdom brings victory, while rashness and disobedience brings trouble. This chapter reminds us to seek God's guidance in our decisions and heed his commandments. Amen to that, and we'll go ahead in fourteen seven. Okay, cool, not missing anything there? All right, let's go ahead and dig in. I don't believe I have anything in my notes that I missed. Let me just make sure my other notes Saul did wrong and come up with this causes why he did it. Yes, God gives you victy, but you still have to fight. Yep, that's chapter fourteen. Okay, let's go ahead and check out chapter fourteen. First Samuel fourteen, Jonathan defeats the Philistines. This is First Samuel fourteen, verse one. Now it happened one day that Jonathan, the son of Saul, said to a young man who bore his armor, come let us go over to the Philippines garrison that is on the other side. Garrison is like or they're all lined up, and it's where they're eating and they're doing everything. That's that's where garrison is in our army too. It's like where you're it's a place where you're kind of stationed until you go to battle. Right, So garrison is on the other side, but we do not tell. But he did not tell his father, so Jonathan didn't tell Saul. And Saul was sitting on the outskirts of Gebee under a pomegranate tree, which is in the migron. The people who were with him were about six hundred men, Aijah the son of atub Ichabod's brother, the son of Phineas, the son of Eli, the lord's priest, and Shiloh was wearing an ephod. But the people did not know that Jonathan had gone Between the passes by which Jonathan sought to go over to the Philisties garrison. There was a sharp rock on one side and a sharp rock on the other side, and the name of one was Boses, and the name of the other was Shannai. The front of the one faced northward opposite of mismatched, and the other southward opposite of Gaville. Don't tell me why that's important, but everything in the Bible is important. I don't know why they wanted us to know the names of those rocks. Then Jonathan said to the young man who bore his armor, come let us go over to the garrison of these uncircumcised. It may be that the Lord will work for us. For nothing restrains the Lord from saving by many or by few. So what is Jonathan doing. He is going to trust the Lord, and he's going to walk by faith. And he's also knowing that the Lord restraints from saving by many or by few. So let's see what I have. Excuse you, guys, don't mean to Young Jonathan did not wait for a command from his father, King Saul, but took the initiative, saying, come, let us cross over to the outposts of these uncircumcised men. Perhaps the Lord will work with us. His faith in God's power was unwavering, so Jonathan's initiative and faith. Yes, let me see if there's a so. One of the most notable demonstrations of Jonathan's faith is found in First Samuel fourteen. At that time, the Israelite army was demoralized and outnumbered by the Philistines. Jonathan took a bold step without informing his father. He decided to attack the Philistine garrison at Michmash, accompanied only by his armor bearer. This act of bravery is recorded in the First Samuel fourteen, verse six. Jonathan's words reveal his deep faith in God's power and sovereignty. He recognizes that victory did not depend on him on human strength or numbers, but by the Lord's will and intervention. His initiative was not born out of recklessness, but from a profound trust in God's ability to deliver his people. And we'll see what the reward of his faith is. First Samuel fourteen, verse one. So his armor bearer said to him, do all that is in your heart go, Then here I am with you according to your heart. Then Jonathan said, very well, let us cross over to these men, and we will show ourselves to them. If they save thus to us, wait until we come to you. Then we will stand in our place and not give up on them. But if they say, thus, come to us, then we will go up, for the Lord has delivered them in our hand, and this will be the sign to us. So both of them showed themselves to the garrison of the Philistines, and the Philisines said, look, the Hebrews are coming out of the holes where they were hidden. Then the men of the garrison called the Jonathan his arm bearer and said, come to us, and we will show you something. Jonathan said to the armor bearer, come up after me, for the Lord has delivered them into the hand of Israel. And Jonathan climbed up on the hands and knees, climbed up on his hands and knees from his arm bearer and after him. And they fell before Jonathan. And as he came after him, the armor bearer killed them. That first slaughter was Jonathan and his arm bearer. Made was about twenty men within about a half of an acre of land. And there was a trembling in the camp, in the field, and among all the people. The garrison and the raiders were trembled, and the earth quaked, so that the very great trembling. Now the watchmen of Saul and gebee A. Benjamin looked, sorry, looked, and there was a mo altitude melting away, and they went here and there. Then Saul said to the people who are with them, now call the role and see who was gone from us. And when they had called the role, surprisingly, Jonathan and his armor bearer was not there. So they did a roll call. Right so they were, and Saul said to Ahijah, bring the Ark of God here, for at that time the Ark of God was with the children of Israel. Now what happened? Why Saul talked to the priest that the noise which was in the camp of the Philistine continued to increase. So Saul said to the priest, would draw your hand. Then Saul and all the people who were with him assembled and they went to battle. And indeed every man's sword was against his neighbor, and there was a great confusion. There was very great confusion. More of a the Hebrews who were with the Philistines before that time, who went up into the camp for the surrounding country, they also joined the Israelites who were here. It was Saul and Jonathan. Likewise, all the men of Israel who had hidden in the Mountains of Ephrium. When they heard that the Philistines fled, they followed hard after them in battle. So the Lord saved Israel that day, and the battle shifted to beth Avan. So you see what's going on that the Lord calls an earthquake, and he knew that the Lord delivered him in his hands because of that. So the role of the armor bearer, Jonathan's armor bearer demonstrated loyalty and faith is in my notes responding, do all that is in your heart, go ahead, and I am with you. I am with you heart and soul. This highlights the importance of supportive relationships in our faith journey. God's intervention as Jonathan and his armor bearer attacked the Lord caused panicum on the Philistines, leading to a great victory for Israel. This underscores that God can use our small acts of faith to accomplish his purpose. Small acts of faith was Jonathan and his armor bearer. Both of them had faith right right perfect. That was good right there, And we'll continue. Let me see how long is this chapter. It's gonna be pretty quick, so we'll probably get through a lot tonight. We'll cover a lot of ground Saul's rash oath. This is in First Samuel fourteen, verse twenty four. And the men of Israel were distressed that day, for Saul had placed the people under oath, saying, cursed is the man who eats any food until evening before I have taken vengeance on my enemies. So none of the people tasted food. Now, all the people of the land came to a forest, and there was honey on the ground. And when the people had come into the woods, there was the honey dripping. But no one put his hand to his mouth, for the people fear of the oath. But Jonathan had not heard his father charge the people with the oath. Therefore he stretched out the end of his rod, which was in his and dipped it in the honeycomb, and put his hand to his mouth, and his countenance brightened. The one of the people said, your father strictly charged the people on oath, saying curses the man who eats this food this day. And the people were faint. Wow, okay, and it said, But Jonathan said, my father has troubled the land. Look now, how my continence has brightened because I tasted a little of this honey. How much better if the people had eaten freely today of the spoil of their enemies which they found. For now, they're not have been a much greater slaughder among the Philistines. So let me just go ahead and look at my notes. We're gonna stop at thirty one. Sauls rash Oath. King Saul's impulsive oath forbidding his troops to eat until evening led to an unnecessary hardship and sin among the people. This served as a caution against making hasty decisions without seeking God's guidance, So probably out of frustration and impulse, he ended up putting that oath. Let's see what it. The context is. The account of Saul's rash Oath occurs during a critical moment in Israel's battle against the Philistines. King Saul, the first King of Israel, is leading his troops in a campaign to secure victory over their enemies. The narrative is set in an early days of Saul's reign, a period marked by both military success and spiritual failures the oath. As battle unfolds, Saul makes a hasty and ill considered vow Cursey the man who eats food before evening comes before I ad avenged myself by enemies. This oath is made without consulting God or considering the physical needs of the soldiers who are already weary from the fight. So yeah, I would not want that. As a soldier in the United States Army, I would be not happy if I got back from battle and they told me you can't eat until evening. That's not cool. There's something in that that you need to have in the in the military, it's called morale. You need to have the morale up. As a sergeant, I knew that, you know, I wanted to keep the morale of the soldiers up. Morals, They're not gonna want to listen to you. They're not gonna be happy. They're gonna they're gonna move slowly. They're gonna be dragging because they're gonna be unhappy. You gotta make sure the morale is up. And obviously, if you tell them they can't eat, that's something that makes a human happy. Saul is not being a good leader here, and he's taking away the morale of his soldiers. The consequences for the troops. Sauls oath placed the heavy burden on the Israelite army. The men are faint with hunger, which hampers the ability to fight effectively. The text describes how the troops are distressed and weaken, highlighting the detrimental impact of Saul's decision on their morale and strength, and then Jonathan's unwinning transgression. Unaware of his father's command, Jonathan's Saul's son eats some honey and he finds the us. His eyes are brightened and his strength is renewed, demonstrating the immediate benefit of nourishment. When informed of the oath, Johnathan criticizes his father's decision by saying, my father has brought trouble to the land. See how my eyes were brightened because I tasted a little bit of honey the people's sin. As evening falls, the oath is lifted. The famish soldiers slaughter livestock and eat the meat with the blood, violating God's law. Saul realize the gravity. Let me see, maybe maybe we got to continue reading. I'm sorry I might have spoiled something for you guys, So let's go ahead and continue reading. It's going to be first Samuel fourteen, and then we can maybe come back to these notes now when they had driven back the Philistines that day from Mishmash to Ajan. So the people were very faint, and the people rush to the spoil, rushed on the spoil and took the sheep oxen calves and slaughtered them on the ground, and the people ate them with the blood. Then they told Saul, saying, look, the people are sinning against the Lord by eating with the blood. So he said, you have not dealt treacherously. Roll a large stone to me this day. Then Saul said, disperse yourselves among the people and say to them, bring me here every man's ox and every man's sheep. Slaughter them here and eat, and do not sin against the Lord by eating with the blood. So every one of the people brought his ox with them, and that night they slaughtered it there. Then Saul built an altar to the Lord. This is the first altar that he built to the Lord. And then Saul said, let us go down after the Philistines by night and plunder them until the morning night, and let us not leave a man with them. And they said, do whatever seems good to you. And the priest said, let us draw near to God here. So yeah, let me just continue reading in my notes. We're gonna stop at thirty seven. It says the people's sin as evening falls, an oath is lifted. The famished soldiers slaughtered livestock and ate the mate with the blood. So you're supposed to cut the you know, obviously cut the head off or whatever, and then you're supposed to drain the blood and then eat it, which takes time. But they're so starving they probably cut it, and there was probably still blood, and then they ended up eating, which Saul, realizing the gravity of the situation, instructs the people to properly slaughter the animals, thus attempting to rectify the sin. And then we're gonna go ahad and continue. So in verse thirty seven is so Saul asked the counsel of God, shall I go after the Philistines? Will you deliver them into the hand of visual But he did not answer. But he did not answer that day. And Saul said, come over here, all of you, chiefs of the people, and know and see what this sin was today. For the Lord lives, who saves Israel. Though it be in Jonathan my son, he shall surely die. But not a man among all the people answered him. And he said to all Israel, you will be on you be on my be on one side, and my son Jonathan, I will be on the other, and I will be on the other side. And the people said to Saul, do what seems good to you. We'll stop there. So, seeking further guidance from God, Saul inquirers to the Lord, but receives no answer. Perceiving the silence as a sign of sin within the camp, Saul seeks to identify the transgressor, even declaring that the guilty party must die, even if it is my son Jonathan. And then how are they going to determine this well casting of lots which we talked about before. It says therefore Saul said to God, the Lord God of Israel, give me a perfect lot. So Saul and Jonathan were taken to the people, but the people escaped, and Saul said, cast lots between my son Jonathan and me. So Jonathan was taken. Then Saul said to Jonathan, tell me what you have done. And Jonathan told him I only tasted a little honey with the end of the rod that was in my hand, So now I must die. And he says this in like an exclamation point, and now I must die, So Saul answered, God, do so more also, for you shall surely die Jonathan. Oh wow. And the people said to Saul, shall Jonathan die, who has accompanied this great deliverance in Israel? Certainly not, as the Lord lives. Not one hair on his head shall fall to the ground, and for his work with God this day. So the people rescued Jonathan and he did not die. Then Saul returned from pursuing the Philistines, and the Philistines went to their own place. So we'll stop there. So there was the casting of lots to determine the source of sin. Saul employs the casting of lots, which fails. What falls on Jonathan? When Jonathan was confronted amidst that to tasting the honey, acknowledging his action, but are unaware of the oath at the time. And then in verse forty five, despite Saul's declaration, the people intervened to save Jonathan, recognizing his role in securing the victory of the Philistines. They argue, should Jonathan die. The people successfully ransom Jonathan and he is spared from death. What is the theological implication sauls rash oath illustrates the dangers of impulsive leadership and the consequences of decision without seeking divine guidance. It underscores the importance of wisdom, discernment, and the need for leaders to prioritize well being of their people. The narrative also highlights the tension between human authority and divine will, as well as the as well as the role of community and upholding justice and mercy. What are lessons to us as believers? Well? This account serves as a cautionary tale about the pearls of legalism and the importance of aligning one's actions with God's purpose. It encourages believers to seek God's wisdom and decision making and to be mindful of the impact of their words and actions on others. Okay, it's very important. So and then in on Samuel fourteen twenty seven through thirty it actually emphasizes the importance of obedience and discernment. Jonathan knowing the violated saul Zoe by eating honey, yet his actions were not condemned by God, illustrating the need for this discernment and understanding God's heart over lealistic legalistic adherents. Perfect Let's go in and continue. We're going to be in. On Samuel fourteen, verse forty seven, it says, sauls continuing war words, sauls continuing wars. So Saul established his sovereignty over Israel, and fought against all of his enemies on every side, against Moab, against the people of Amin, against Edom, against the kings of Zoa, and against the Philistines. Wherever he turned, he wherever he turned, he harassed them. And he gathered an army and attacked the Amalekites and delivered Israel from the hands of those who plundered them. The sons of Saul were Jonathan, Jeshui, and mal Chesua, and the names of his two daughters. The name of the firstborn was Marat Morab and the younger Michael. The name of his Saul's wife was Echinoum, the daughter of Ahemas. The name of the commander of his army was Abner, and the son of Nur. Saul's uncle Kish was the father of Saul and Nr. The father of Abner and the son of a Bil. Now there was a fierce war with the Philistines all the days of Saul. When Saul saw any strong man of any valiant men. He took him for himself. So you see that there's a lot more wars happening. I don't know if you guys saw The House of David, but I saw that show. It's pretty good, you know, Is it one hundred percent biblica accurate? I think sub parts, well, we're going to fight out sob parts to a little obviously dramatized and probably not one hundred percent biblical. But it's a pretty cool show. At least it's getting people to maybe dig into you know, Samuel, first Samuel or second Samuel. Definitely, So all right, very awesome. We're already done with chapter fourteen, so we're moving right along here. But let me just go ahead and go over some practical applications for this chapter. Step out in faith, Like Jonathan, we should be willing to take bold steps of faith, trusting that God can work through us regardless of the odds, no matter how the odds are stacked up against us. If you have if you have God with you, no one could be against you. We could do all things through Christ, who strengthens us. Right value supportive relationships. Surround yourself to people who encourage and support your faith. Journey, just as Jonathan's armor bearer did. Seek God's seek God's guidance, avoid making impulsive decisions, especially in leadership, and seek God's wisdom and guidance in all situations. Discern God's will. Strive to understand God's heart and will rather than merely following rules or traditions. We definitely need to strive to understand God's heart and will. We need to know God's will. We need to be doing God's will. So important, I agree, And then let's look up so connect you to additional scriptures. We have faith and courage Hebrews eleven, verse one. Now faith is the assurance of what we hope for and the certainty of what we do not see. Faith is so important, right, and courage is so important. God's power and weakness two Christians twelve, verse nine. But he said to me, my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is perfected in weakness. And then the importance of wise counsel and Proverbs fifteen, verse twenty two. Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisors they succeed. All right, Sorry, my AD's itch in here, All right? Headphones back on? Perfect, All right, so we are complete with for Samuel fourteen, let me just go to fifteen. We're gonna go ahead and go to first Samuel fifteen, and we'll go ahead and read the intro. First Samuel fifteen serves as a poignant reminder of the vital importance of total obedience to God's instructions, no matter how difficult they may seem. It reveals that disobedience has severe consequences, even for those in positions of authority. It reminds us that God's values. God values our obedience over our sacrifices, and that repentance should be genuine and not merely a means to avoid punishment.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's very true, Yeah, very true. So all right, old, let me take a drink, all right, Saul Spaar's king A gag.
Speaker 1: This is first Samuel fifteen. Verse one. Samuel said to Saul, the Lord sent me to annoint you king over his people over Israel. Now therefore he'd the voice of the words of the Lord. Thus says the Lord of Host, I will punish Amlak for what he did to Israel, how he ambushed him on the way when he came up from Egypt. Now go and attack a Malak and utterly destroy all they have and do not spare them, but kill both men, women, infant, child, ox, sheep, camel, and donkey. So let's go ahead and stop there real quick. When you read that, you're like, whoa. So what they were doing is when they were let's say they had their people. What they had is they had the weakest people in the back. They had the pregnant women, they had the children, they had the infant, they had the people that were like handicap. They had the weakest people were in the back and the strongest people were in the front. So what what happened is that the Amalekites would come from behind and start killing the men, women, and children of the Israelites. Okay, and then that's that's the way they would do it. And that's why God says that he says, I will punish Amelak for what he did to Israel. Now he ambushed him on the way, then he came. Then he came up from Israel, now going to attack Amalekites. So I would have to see, let me see, are the Malekites. So according to the Bible, the Amalekites are descendants of Esau, specifically the a Malek, the namesake of the Amalekites, were a grandson of Esau, born to Elfaz and tim neum tim Na. Elfaz was one of Esau's sons. While the Amalekites are descends of Esau, they're considered distinct from the Edomites, another group descended from Esal, and their relationship with the Iselites are marked by intense conflict and animosity. The Bible depicts the Amalekites as the first nation to attack the Iselites after the exodus from Israel. Okay, so are the Amalekites. The Bible does not state the Amalekites were a giant tribe. While some interpretations of traditions associate the Amalekites with giants, Biblical texts generally describe them as a nomadic people descended from Esaul, son of Alfaz, not as giants. Other tribes in the Biblical narratives, such as Anakin and Amorites, are explicitly identified as giants. Just want to let you guys know that. So, yeah, that's quite a it says, Now go and attack this verse three, Amlak could utterly destroy all of them, Do not spare them. Wow, that's their infant nursing child, ox, sheep, camel, donkey. That's just wipe them all out. So God's command to Saul, God through the prophet Samuel, commands Saul to comprehensive destroy the Amalekites and all they possess as an act of divine judgment. This command underscores the seriousness of God's justice and the importance of following his instructions fully. Let's see what Saul does. So Saul gathered the people together and numbered them, and telling him two hundred thousand foot soldiers and ten thousand men of Judah and Saul came to the city of Amlek, and they lay in wait in the valley. Then Saul said to the Keynites, go depart, get down from among the Amlakites, less I destroy you with them, for you show kindness to all the children of Isel when they came up out of Egypt. So the Kenites departed from among the Amalekites. Then Saul attacked the Amalekites with have a law in all the way to sure which is east of Egypt. He also took a gag king of the Amalekites alive and utterly destroyed all the people at the edge of the sword. But Saul and the people spared a gag and the best of the sheep, the oxen, the fatlings, the lambs, which were which was good and were unwilling to destroy them. But everything despised and worthless they utterly destroyed. Okay, So Saul, instead of going and killing all the men, women, infant, nursing child, ox sheep, camel, and donkey, what do they do? He allows the king to live and the best of the sheep, the oxen, which they said to kill, the oxen, the fattenings, the lambs, and all that was good and unwilling to utterly destroy them. So he is being disobedient once again. Okay, And so Saul spares King Agag as the best of the livestock, rationalizing his disobedience by claimants the animal, claiming the animals were kept for sacrifice to the Lord. This highlights the danger of rationalizing sin and temptation to prioritize personal judgment over God's clear commands. Okay, definitely, you could tell his disobedience there. And now in verse ten, we're gonna see Saul rejected as king. In verse ten, it says, now the word of the Lord came to Samuel, saying, I greatly regret that I have set up Saul as a king. For excuse me, for he has turned back from following me and has not performed by commandments. And it grieved Samuel, and he cried out to the Lord all night. So when Samuel rose early in the morning to meat Saul, it was told Samuel saying Saul, Saul went to Carmel, and indeed he set up a monument for himself, and he has gone around past, passed by, and gone to Gilgal. Then Samuel went to Saul, and Saul said to him, blessed are you? Blessed are you of the Lord? I have performed the commandments of the Lord. But Samuel said, what then is the bleeding of the sheep in my ears? And the allowing of oxen which I hear wow? And Saul said, they have brought They have brought them from the Malakites. For the people spared the best of the sheep and oxen to sacrifice to the Lord, your God, and rest we utterly the rest we have utterly destroyed. Then Samuel said to Saul, be quiet, and I will tell you what the Lord said to me last night. So we said to him, speak on, And Samuel said, when you were little in your own eyes you were, were you not head of the tribes of Israel? And did not the Lord anoint you king over Israel? Now the Lord sent you on a mission and said, go and utterly destroy the sinners, the Amalekites, and fight against them until they are consumed. Why then, did you not obey the voice of the Lord. Why did you swoop down on the spoil and do evil in the side of the Lord. And Saul said to Samuel, but I have obeyed the voice of the Lord and gone on the mission on which the Lord sent me, and brought back a gag king of Amelek. And I have utterly destroyed the Amalekites. But the people took the plunder of sheep and ox and the best of the things which they have utterly destroyed, to sacrifice to the Lord, your God in Gilgal, So Samuel said, has the Lord as has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as in obeying the voice of the Lord, It says, has the Lord like does the Lord have as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifice as in obeying the voice of the Lord. Behold to obey is better than sacrifice, and the heed with the fat of rams. For rebellion is a sin, is as sin is as sin, the sin of witchcraft, it says, I'm sorry, for rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is the iniquity of idolatry because you have rejected the word of the Lord, and he has also rejected you from being king. So rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, which obviously the witchcraft is an abomination to the Lord. It's using us, you know, Satan's power to change the will of people, right, So man, rebellion is man. We don't understand that, like nowadays, I'm telling you guys, I'm gonna stop at twenty four, Okay, we don't understand that rebellion against God and obedience is so important, like it's so vastly important. We don't understand. That's because it's so I mean, I have to say it. It's in the day and age, we just forget about being obedient to the Lord. Time flies. We got so much going on. A lot of people are still drinking, partying and smoking and joking with their friends and doing their thing, and we forget how important obedience is to the Lord. This should send fear up and down our spine when we see that God says to go and attack a malik and utterly destroy them. You know they're sinners, right, They sinned, So we're all sinners. Yeah, we sin. But we can't just transgress against God all the time. We need to obey the Lord and try to be in God's will. And I understand that it's hard. It's very hard at this moment because we have so much going on and so much sin is available at our very fingertips. But we have to make sure that we prioritize the Lord. And anything that's stopping you from prioritizing the Lord, you need to get away from that, okay. And there's things that can definitely cause that. And there's good idols and bad idols. Some good idols like your wife, your kids, your dog, those are like good things, but they're they become idols and they make it so that you you know, you're not worshiping the Lord, so not saying that you should not take care of your kids and just read the Bible all day. What God wants you to take care of your kids. But what I am saying is we can't use that as an excuse to not read the Word of God and to not study and to not get to know the Lord. We need to prioritize the Lord in our lives because we see it. You know, we see so many people falling off the te backsliding and things that things that come into your life. It's not as hard for you to say no to the sin because you're not in the word, right, and faith comes by hearing, hearing by the word of God. Like I told you, guys, we need to build that shield. And right now you're listening to the Word of God, you're listening to me read it. We're building that shield of faith. And we're also learning that obedience is more important than sacrifice. Right, that's so important. Right, So we need to make sure that we are obedient to the Lord. This is the same God that we worship right now. No, just because some people feel, well, Jesus is different than the Old Testament God, No, no, no, this is the same God. Okay, everything we're reading in the New Testament, this is the same God. This is the foundation laid. So everything we're reading in the New Testament and the Old Testament. We need to make sure. That's why we're doing both Sunday service Wednesday service, so we learn Old Testament, New Testament. But we need to understand we're dealing with the same character, the same God. Like I'm talking about God's character, right, We're dealing with this God's character has not changed. We need to understand that God still has grace. Of course, yes, we're say by grace through faith, by what the grace of God through the faith, and what to the faith in Jesus right and what he did on the cross. But we need to understand that obedience is so important, my goodness. Now, mind you, we don't have Samuel, a prophet coming to us telling us this is the word from the Lord, you need to do this, But we do have the Bible which is telling us exactly what to do. And that's very important. And that's why we need to read the Bible to get to know what we need to do, what we need to do, what we need to do. So all right, I don't want to get off on a tangent, but I just I think it's very important for us to understand. So in Samuel's rebuke. Let's look at that Samuel confronts Saul declaring to obey. This is in my notes, okay, Samuel confronts Saul declaring to obey. To obey is better than sacrifice, and the heat is better than the fat of rams. This emphasizes that God's values obedience over ritualistic offerings and that true worship involves aligning your hearts and actions with His will. Samuel's rebuke is a significant event in the Bible narrative, highlighting the prophet Samuel's role as a divine messenger and the consequences of disobedience to God's commands. This event is primarily recorded in One Samuel thirteen and for Samuel fifteen, or Samuel confronts King Saul for his failure to adhere to God's instruction. The first rebuke is in Fir Samuel. The first significant rebuke occurs when Saul's unlawful sacrifice as the Philissines gathered to fight against Israel, which we talked about earlier, where Paul was being impatient not waiting on Samuel and he ended up doing the sacrifice instead of waiting on Samuel. And the second rebuke is the more severe rebuke came after Saul's failure to completely destroy the Amalekites as commanded by God. Saul spared King Agag and the best of the livestock, rationalizing that the animals were kept for sacrifices to the Lord. Samuel confronted Saul, emphasizing that obedience to God's command is more valuable than sacrifice. Samuel declared that because Saul had rejected the word of the Lord, God had rejected him as king. That's what it says right there in First Samuel fifteen, verse twenty three, where it says he has also rejected you from being king. What is the theological implication? Samuel's rebuke duke of sauls serves as a profound lesson on the nature of obedience and the consequences of disobedience. It highlights the principle that God desires a heart on line with his will rather than ritualistic observance. Saul's actions demonstrated a lack of faith and understanding of God's sovereignty, leading to his rejection as king, and then the legacy and significance. The rebuke of Saul by Samuel set the stage for the rise of King David, the man after God's own heart, who would become Israel's greatest king. Samuel's role as a prophet was crucial in maintaining the covenantial relationship between God and his people, emphasizing the need for leaders who would faithfully execute God's commands. Samuel's rebuke remains a powerful reminder of the importance of obedience, the dangers of self reliance, and the necessity of seeking God's guidance in all aspects of life. So that's a lot of lessons there for us to all learn from. We need to understand, all right, So let's go ahead and go back, and then we'll read, Okay, the consequence of disobedience. Saul's disobedience leads to his rejection as king Illustry and the severe consequences of failing to fully obey God. This serves as a sobering reminder of the cost of disobedience and the importance of integrity in our walk with God. Let's go ahead and continue with first Samuel fifteen. We're back to the Bible now, verse twenty four. Then Samuel said, Then Samuel said. Then Saul said to Samuel, I have sinned, for I have transgressed the commandment of the Lord and the words because I feared the people and obeyed their voice. Now, therefore, please pardon my sin and return with me that I may worship the Lord. But Samuel said to Saul, I will not return with you, for you have rejected the word of the Lord, and the Lord has rejected you from being being king over Israel. You see how Saul just thought like, hey, I can just continue sinning and God's gonna forgive me. I'm good. All I gotta do is just, you know, make make up with Samuel and we're good. Let's just carry on with this. But he didn't take what he said to heart where he said he has also rejected you from being king. It's almost like maybe it just went from one year out the other, and that's that's what I'm kind of seeing from this verse. But Samuel said to Saul, I will not return with you. You'll rejected the word of the Lord, and the Lord has rejected you from being king over Israel. Imagine being a prophet and having to speak to a king who can have your head cut off, you know, any moment, and talking to him right there, even though God is gonna protect Samuel imagine having to say that let's continue. And as Samuel turned away to go a Saul seized the edge of his robe and tore, and it tore. So Samuel said to him, the Lord has torn the king them a visual from you today and has given it to a neighbor of yours who is better than you. And also the strength of visual will not lie nor relent, for he is not a man. He should relent. I think he's talking about God where he says, for he is not a man that he should. Yeah, that's why it's capitalized. And he said, I have sinned, yet honor me now, please before the elders of my people, and before Israel return with me, that I may worship the Lord, your god. So Samuel turned back after Saul, and Saul worship the Lord. Then Samuel said, bring Agag, king of the Amalachites, here to me, so a good king to him cautiously, and Agag said, surely the bitterness of death is passed. But Samuel said, as your sword has made women child childless, so shall your mother be childless among women? And Saul hacked Agog in pieces before the Lord in Gilgel. So Samuel took care of it instead of Saul. He did what Saul was supposed to do. Then Samuel went to Rama, and Saul went up to his house and Gilga of our Ghibbah of Saul, and Samuel went no more to see Saul until the day of his death. Nevertheless, Samuel mourned for Saul, and the Lord regretted that he had made Saul king over Israel. Some very interesting stuff here, you know, and I'm not don't take it as if I'm saying anything about God's omnipotence or omnipresence, but it's kind of interesting. You know, we have free will, so God still gets disappointed when it says that God, it says the Lord right here, it says it in the Bible, okay, that that he regretted that he had made Saul king over Israel. Now, if you know that Saul's gonna fail, then why would you even be filled with regret? Wouldn't you just be like, hey, whatever, I already knew it was gonna happen. But you see what it says where it says Samuel went no more. Nevertheless, Saul mourned for Saul, or Samuel mourned for Saul, meaning that Samuel did feel bad for Saul, which is awesome because he's just a you know, he has a great heart. And the Lord regretted that he had made Saul king over Israel. That's kind of it to me. It's kind of like, wow, like very interesting that he would regret that portion, even though he knows what's gonna happen. Anyways, you know, we do have free will. So there's some people out there that believe that God gives us free will and that he doesn't know exactly what we're gonna do. And even though he he's omnipresent and he knows everything that's going on, that maybe he doesn't know the future. Some people believe that. So this would be somewhere, you know, a portion where you know where that would kind of seem like they're right. But I'm not saying that they are. But it's just it's really interesting. I'm not trying to take away any power from God either, but why would he regret it if he already knows what's gonna happen? Right, Why would he even place him there if you already knew was gonna happen. So but I'm not saying anything, but you know, even though maybe he does know the future, he maybe he still feels you know, he still feels like regret and feels bad. So anyways, yeah, that is chapter fifteen. Uh, that's complete, and what an awesome portion right there. Let's go ahead and go to what I'm an awesome portion. What a crazy portion? Right We got Samuel taking the king and cutting him to pieces. That's that's crazy, you know, but if if you like that kind of stuff, that Game of Thrones type stuff, I mean, there's stuff in the Bible that is just really really you know, entertaining, and it's almost like a movie. It's it's crazy. But this stuff really happened. We didn't unders that all this stuff is real and it really happened. So Samuel ended up taking it into his own hands, finishing what Saul couldn't do. And we don't know what the Amalakites did. We don't know how bad they were, how much they sind It doesn't give you that much detail. But what he says right here to the guy, as your sword has made women childless, so saw your mother be childless among you? And Samuel hacked Agag in pieces before the lord. Wow, that's crazy. So all right, Let's check out some practical applications. Evaluate your obedience regularly. Assess areas in your life where you may be practicing partial obedience. We've talked about this before, guys, partial obedience. That's what Saul did and sometimes we do that too. Are there commands of gods that are rationalizing or neglecting that you are neglecting? Okay? And then next we have prior tise God's commands. Make a conscious effort to prioritize God's instruction over personal desires or social norms. Seek to understand his will through prayer and study of scripture. That's what I'm talking about. How do we know God's character? How do we get to know the Lord? Reading scripture? Okay? And also through prayer, we get to know God because we're speaking to the Lord through prayer, and also scripture is just it's gonna come out at you and it's going to show you what God's character is and what God's will is. It's going to do a lot for us. So hopefully that's happening as we're reading Repentance and Restoration. If you recognize areas of disobedience, seek God's forgiveness and commit to aligning your actions with his commands. Remember that God is gracious and willing to restore those who will turn back to him. Okay, now let's look at some Oh, hold on, there's a thing right here about a Gag.
Speaker 2: Let me just see what's up of that.
Speaker 1: The Lord a Gag is the king of the Amalekites, whom Saw spares despite God's command to destroy all the Amalekites. His sparing a significant act of disobedience and Saul. The name Agag is uncertain origin, but it used to denote the Amalekite kings, similar to how Pharaoh is used for Egyptian rulers. Okay, okay, let's continue. Yeah, and then at the end there we see that Samuel and Saw part ways, and then Samuel doesn't see Saul again until the day of his death. Connections to additional scriptures we have James one, verse twenty two. Let's check that out. James one, verse twenty two. James twenty two. It says, but he'd be doers of the word and not hears, only deceiving yourselves. For if anyone is a hero of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in the mirror, for he observes himself and goes away and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. Strong words right there. Okay, that's actually James one, verse twenty two and twenty three. And then let's go we'll check out another one, which is John fourteen, verse fifteen. John fourteen, verse fifteen. Let's check that out. Jesus promises another helper, it says, It says, if you love me, keep my commandments, and I will pray the Father and he will give you another helper that he may abide with you forever, the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive because it neither sees him or knows him. But you know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you. Speaking of the Holy Spirit. I will not leave you orphans. I will come to you. So if you love me, speaking, Jesus is saying, keep my commandments. Very important. If you love me, you will keep my commandments. Jesus emphasizes that love for him is demonstrating demonstrated through what obedience. What I've been talking about this whole entire sermon that we're talking about here obedience, And we we got to make sure we don't have partial obedience either. That's not good, not good, okay. Proverbs twenty one, verse three, to do righteousness and justice is more desirable to the Lord than sacrifice. This echoes the message that God values righteous liv over ritualistic offerings. You see that throughout the Old Testament, the Pharisees, the Sadducees, and the scribes. You see that what they were doing with Jesus, they were all about ritualistic. We got to make sure that we keep this going. What are you doing on the sabbath? You're healing people? You're doing this all about ritualistic instead of being obedient to God.
Speaker 2: All right, So.
Speaker 1: Righteous living over ritualistic offerings. Amen to that. So all right, we went ahead and finished chapter fifteen. Like I said, we're kind of moving along pretty quickly here. A lot of storylines here, though not as much commentary needed. Right, let's go ahead and go. And I want to try to not stop in the middle of the story either and leave like a little cliffhanger while I'm going to the notes, I want to try to finish the little part. So kind of what we're doing here, But let's go ahead and now we're about to get to the portion if you remember the House of David, the show where Samuel comes and anoints David. Let's check that out. Samuel annoys David. The narrative of First Samuel sixteen reminds us this is going to be the introduction to Samuel sixteen remind us that God's ways are not our ways. He chooses to work through the least expected, most overlooked people to bring about his divine purposes. David, a simple shepherd boy, becomes God's chosen king, highlighting the importance of heart condition over external appearances. Additionally, the account illustrates God's sovereignty and the spiritual implications of obedience and disobedience to hims. All right, now we're in Fir Samuel sixteen, Verse one. Now the Lord said to Samuel, how long will you mourn for Saul, seeing I rejected him from reigning over Israel. Fill your horn with oil and go. I am sending you to Jesse, the beth of Mite, for I have provided myself a king among his sons. And Samuel said, how can I go? If Saul here's it, he will kill me. But the Lord said, take a heffer with you and say, I have come to sacrifice to the Lord. Then invite Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show you what you shall do. You shall annoy for me the one I name to you. Okay, God's rejection of Saul. So in one Samuel sixteen one, the Lord said to Samuel, how long will you mourn for Saul? Since I have rejected him as king? God had rejected Saul due to his disobedience. Highlight and the amhortance of obedience to God's commands. And then God's sovereign choice for God's choice of David, the youngest son of Jesse, underscores his sovereignty and his ability to see beyond human appearances. Let's go in and continue first Samuel sixteen, verse four. So Samuel did what the Lord said and went to Bethlehem. And the elders of the town troubled at his coming and said, do you come peacefully? Peaceably? And he said, peaceably, I have come to sacrifice to the Lord. Sanctify yourselves and come with me to the sacrifice. Then he consecrated Jesse and his sons and invited them to the sacrifice. So it was that they came, and he looked at Iliab and said, surely the Lord's anoyed it is before him, But yeah, because Iliab probably was big, buff, strong, you know. But the Lord said to Samuel, do not look at his appearance or the physical stature, because I have refused him. For the Lord does not see as man sees. For man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the hearts. So let's go ahead and dig into that just a little bit before we continue. But the Lord said to Samuel, do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not see the man but his heart. This verse emphasizes that God values the heart over the external attributes. All right, so we'll go ahead and continue. So it's going to be for Samuel sixteen verse eight. So Jesse called Abinadab and made him pass before Samuel, and he said, neither has the Lord chosen this one. Then Jesse made Shamah passed by, and he said, neither has the Lord chosen this one. Thus Jesse made seven of his son's pass before Samuel, and Samuel said to Jesse, the Lord has not chosen these. And Samuel said to Jesse, are all the young men here. Then he said, there remains yet the youngest, and there he is keeping the sheep. And Samuel said to Jesse, send him and bring him for a week. We will not sit down till he comes here. So he sent and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, with bright eyes and good looking. And the Lord said, arise, annoyed him, for he is the one. Then Samuel took the horn of oil and anointing him in the midst of his brothers. And the spirit of the Lord came upon David from the day from that day forward. So Samuel arose and went to Rama. So when the spirit of the Lord comes upon you, like I told you, guys, then you get the power of the Holy Spirit. Okay, he didn't say that he put the Holy Spirit in him. He said the Holy Spirit came upon him. And I've kind of explained that in the past episodes like Jesus and John said, you will now have the Holy Spirit in you, and then when you go to ax it says, now the Holy Spirit is upon you. You understand. So it's two different things. The Holy Spirit being in you. When you're saved and born again, the Holy Spirit is your compass your moral compass, and it helps you convix you if you're gonna do sin all this stuff, right, But the Holy Spirit coming upon you means that you have the power of the Holy Spirit. Same thing happened with same thing happened with Samson and all these different people. Okay, So I just want to point that out. And let's see the anoying of David. So so anoying of David. So, Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and the spirit of the Lord rushed upon David from that day forward. Yeah. So it says that Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the middle of his brothers, in the spirit of the Lord came upon David. Okay, So that's what that is. The anointing signifies God's empowerment and presence with David. Distressing spirit troubles Saul. But the spirit of the Lord departed from Saul. So and a distressing spirit from the Lord trouble him. Wow, let's go hold on real quick, We're going to stop there, and let's go ahead and look real fast and see what that What is a distressing spirit. Let's see a distressing spirit from God. God has seen in the biblical account of King Saul, and first Samuel refers to a harmful evil, a troubling spirit that God allows to torment someone as the form of judgment or discipline for disobedience. This spirit isn't an evil entity created by God, but rather a negative influence like demonic spirit that God permits to act after withdrawing from his protective presence, a consequence of Saul's rebellion and rejection of God's will. Wow, So let's go ahead and look up what the strongest concordance says about a distressing spirit. I want to see because that's it's really fascinating to me, because if God does this with Saul, like, does this happen with us sometimes? Is this why sometimes when you're you know, when you're getting deep into sin, is there a distressing spirit that gets put upon you because of your disobedience? I mean, I don't know. I'm just kind of looking into it. Maybe too deep, but let me see. Okay, we're going to go first Samuel sixteen. I want to see what distressing means. We're in verse fourteen, but the spirit of the Lord departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the Lord troubled him. That's what it says. It says an evil spirit. Wow. And the King Janus says an evil spirit, bad, disagreeable, malignant, unpleasant in general person's deeds, evil misery, distress. Wow. Let me see what I want to see if this is ever used again for an evil spirit, it says, so wickedness is another word. Okay, so that's probably what they say. Distressing spirit from the Lord. I don't see. Not pleased with Isaacah's father. I don't see where this is used for an evil spirit anywhere else. Wicked in the side of the Lord. Wickedness, Sinnigan's God. All right, I just was trying to look ill favored. Well, yeah, I was just trying to see if there was any other spot, maybe in a maybe in kings. No, Nope, that's a lying spirit, not a distressed spirit. Okay, Sorry, guys. I'd just like to kind of kind of look at that and see, But let's go ahead and continue. It says we're going to be in First Samuel sixteen, verse fifteen, and Saul's servants said to him, surely a distressing spirit from God is troubling you. Let our master now command your servants, your servants who are before you, to seek out a man who is a skillful player on the harp, and it shall be that he will play with his hand when the distressing spirit from God is upon you, and you shall be well. So Saul said to his servants, provide me a man who can play well, and bring him to me. The one of the servants answered and said, look, I have seen a son of Jesse, the Bethamite, who was skillful in playing, a mighty man of valor, a man of war, prudent in speech, and a handsome person. And the Lord is with him. Therefore Saul sent messengers to Jesse and said, send me your son David, who was with the sheep. And Jesse took a donkey, little with bread, a skin of wine, and a young goat and sent them by his son David to Saul. So David came to Saul and stood before him, and he loved him greatly, and he became his armor bearer. Then Saul sent to Jesse, saying, please let David stand before me, for he has found favor in my sight. And so it was whenever the spirit of God was upon Saul. So it was whenever the spirit of God was upon Saul, then David would take a harp and play it with his hand. Then Saul would become refreshed and well, and the distressing spirit would depart from him. Wow, that's so amazing. Let's go ahead and look into that. Whenever the spirit from God came upon Saul, the distressing spirit, David would take his harp and play. Then relief would come to Saul. Then he would feel better, and the evil spirit would leave him. For Samuel sixteen, verse twenty three, David's service to Saul demonstrates humility and the beginning of his preparation for future leadership. Kind of interesting. The distressing spirit would be attacking Saul, and then David would come and play the harp, you know, play the music, and you know that the Holy Spirit was upon David, so that distressing spirit when David would come into the room, would leave Saul. Now was it the music he was playing. No, what it is is the Holy Spirit is upon David, and there's not room for the Holy Spirit and an evil spirit to be in that in the same area. It seems like right, because we would think that David the reason why the distressing spirit would leave is just because of the music. But you know that the Holy Spirit is upon David, right, so it seems like the Holy the distressing spirit would would depart from him whenever David would be in the room. So very interesting stuff. Uh, probably do some deeper studies on that. I just I think it's just really interesting how that, how that's happening there, and it's it is really interesting how God put a distressing spirit to trouble Saul. And just there's always stuff in the Bible that you could seek and find, and and uh, it's very it's very interesting. So in the King James it would actually say the evil spirit departed from him. So it must have been beautiful music too, man, because it looks like Saul would feel refreshed, right, So he did like the music portion. But the but the spiritual aspect of it is what's interesting to me. The Holy Spirit comes in the room with, you know, because it's coming upon David, and the distressed evil spirit leaves. Okay, let's go ahead and go to for Samuel seventeen and all right, we're gonna go over some practical applications for chapter sixteen. Seek God's perspective and decision making. Prioritize seeking God's perspective over human judgment. Ask God to help you see beyond appearances and discern the heart. As humans, it's very hard for us to do that. We have to make sure that we do that.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 1: Value obedience. Reflect on areas in your life where you may need to align more closely with God's commands, understanding that obedience is crucial for fulfilling God's purpose. If you're not being obedient to God, then how is God going to use you for his purpose. You're not even gonna be able to give one hundred percent because you're going to start feeling like some You're going to feel some type of way because you're you know that you have that sin sitting there in your heart. Embrace humility like David. Be willing to serve in humble positions, trusting that God is preparing you for greater responsibilities. Amen, Trust in God's timing. Recognize that God's plans unfold and is perfect timing. Be patient and faithful in your current circumstances, knowing that God is at work. I think I've said this a lot. Sometimes God is doing things in your life that you you don't see because when things are happening in the spiritual, you're not understanding what's going on in the physical. Right, God could be doing some things in the spiritual for you that you don't understand. Right, So that's why it says knowing that God is at work. Right, Let's go ahead and see some connecting scriptures.
Speaker 2: We have.
Speaker 1: Psalm seventy eight seventy through seventy two. Let's go there real quick. Psalms seventy eight, seventy through seventy two do all the way to the bottom. It says He also chose David his servant and took him for the sheep folds from following the Ewes that had young. He brought him to shepherd Jacob his people in Israel his inheritance. So we shepherd them according to the integrity of his heart and guided them by the skillfulness of his hands. Acts thirteen twenty two highlights David as a man after God's own heart, and then Proverbs sixteen seven emphasizes that when a man's ways pleased the Lord, he makes even his enemies to be at peace with him. Okay, so we are finishing. We finished chapter sixteen. Now we're going to be going to First Samuel seventeen. So if you watch House of David, you would kind of see that what I just read biblically, Obviously there's things that they're adding to House of David that are not biblical, because reading that whole portion right there myself, I see that there's things that are added for sure. And also we need to understand the importance of David being a king because Jesus comes through the line of David.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Everything the whole Old Testament is basically a foundation for bringing Jesus forth as the Messiah. Okay, so Jesus is on every page. You're going to notice that right here, David is going to be a line to become king. And what happens the kingship. You know, Jesus comes through the line of David right, So important to know that. Let's go ahead and go into chapter seventeen's introduction. First Samuel seventeen demonstrates the power of faith and the might of God working through those who trust him. The seemingly impossible is made possible not by human strength, but by faith in God. It is an enduring reminder that God often uses the least expected to carry out his purposes, and the Goliath in our lives can be overcome through our faith in God. Also, we need to recognize that God can use evil for good. The evil that was done in Genesis sixty four, which you've gone over, guys, where the nepheline came and all this stuff is going to be used right now for David slays Goliath and it makes David the king, which puts Jesus's line in the lineage for king. So God could use the evil. It's like a cosmic chess match between you know, God and the devil. Even though the devil has no chance, but there's still you see moves that are made by the devil, moves that are made by God. And this is one of those moves. The devil brings the Goliath because of the Nephelem and Raphaim and all this stuff. He has Goliath and he's stronger than all the men. And then we see what happens as we'll continue. I don't want to spoil it for you, just in case there's anybody that hasn't heard about David and Goliath. If there is, then that's very surprising. Most everybody, even if they're not Christians, know about David and Goliath.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: We'll go ahead and start for Samuel seventeen, verse one. Now the Philistines gathered their armies together to battle, and they gathered at Silk shaw Wait Souk, All which belongs to Judah. They encamped between Ceka and Azekah and Effi's Dememe and Saul, and the men of Israel were gathered together, and they encamped in the valley of Allah and drew up in the battle array against the Philistines. The Philistines stood on a mountain on one side, and Israel stood on the mountain on the other side, with a valley between them, and a champion went out from the camp of the Philistines named Goliath from Gath, whose height was six cubits and a span, so six cubits. How tall is that? It depends on if you're talking about a cubit or a royal cubit. How tall it's usually between nine and thirteen feet. How tall is Goliath? The biblical Goliath height is debated. Most Biblical suggests he was six foot nine inches tall, while the Masoretic text indicates nine foot nine inches tall. According to Wikipedia, Yeah, I don't even want to do the Wikipedia thing. I'm sorry. Let's find out how big a cubit is and see what the Bible says.
Speaker 2: How big is a cubit?
Speaker 1: A cubit has an ancient unit of length equal to the length of the forearm, varying from seventeen to twenty point six inches. So we'll do an eighteen inch cubit, being a common estimate of a standard measurement.
Speaker 2: So let's check it out.
Speaker 1: What's eighteen times six? That's one o eight divided by twelve. That's nine feet. So I don't know why they're trying to say six foot seven like it says here six cubits and a span. What is the span? I don't know what the span is. Let's see nine inches, so that'd be nine feet nine inches. That's how big a span was according to uh look, just googling it right, a span is approximately nine inches is about half a cubit. For example, the biblical giant Gliath is described as being six cubits and a span tall, representing an extraordinary height. So it's so a span is half a cubit. So it says that he's six cubits and a span, which would be nine feet nine inches. I don't know why that. I don't know why that. I'm so glad. I'm glad I don't Google everything whenever I talk to you guys, because Google. All I was just trying to find out was how big is a cubit was? And it pulled up this this this part right here where it says Goliath was nine foot nine inches six foot nine inches, But you know, the Masoretic text indicates, uh, nine foot nine right, So anyways, we kind of see that. Let's see what the descrepancy arises from different manuscript and interpretations of the text. Six foot in the span and the Massoretic text is often seen as a later scribbral addition or air. Oh really anyways, Yeah, he's tall, Okay, he's a giant. He's a rapaim Okay. That says he had a bronze helmet on his head, and he was armed with a coat of mail, and the weight of the coat was five thousand shekels of bronze, and he had bronze armor on his legs and bronze javelin between his shoulders. Now, the staff of his spear was like a weaver's beam, and the iron spearhead weighed six hundred shekels. Let's see what the.
Speaker 2: How much weight is six hundred shekels, so.
Speaker 1: It looks like his It says fifteen pounds. So is what it says if you just google it right, weigh approximately fifteen pounds, so it says. Now, the staff of his spear was like a weaver's beam and iron. The staff of his spear weighed six hundred shekels, So his spear weighed about fifteen pounds, which is that's kind of that's pretty. That's a good amount. And a shield beard before him. Then he stood and cried out to the armors of Israel and said to them, why have you come out to line up for battle? Am I not a philistine? And use servants of Saul, who's a man for yourselves, And let him come and down to me. If he is able to fight with me and kill me, then he will be servants. Then we will be your servants. But if I prevail against him and kill him, then you shall be our servants and serve us. And the Philistines said, and the Philistines said, I defy the armies of Israel this day. Give me a man that he may fight together. When Saul and all Israel heard these words of the Philistines. They were dismayed and greatly afraid. Then David was the son then now David, the son of Ephriite of Bethlehem Judah, whose name was Jesse, and who had eight sons, And the man was old advanced in years. In the days of Saul, the three oldest sons of Jesse had had gone to follow Salt to battle. The names of his three sons who went to battle was Iliab, the firstborn Abinadab, and the third of Shamah. David was the youngest and the three old This followed Saul, but David occasionally went and returned to Saul to feed his father's sheep at Bethahem. And the Philistines drew near and presented himself forty days morning and evening. I don't want to get too far ahead before Actually my notes only go the Philistines Israites are at war. Okay, we see that I don't have anything notes until first Samuel seventeen thirty seven, so we'll continue. And the Philistines drew near, presented himself forty days morning and evening. Then Jesse said to his son David, take now for your brothers of Ephah of his dried grain and those ten loaves, and run to your brothers at the camp, and carry these ten cheeses to the captain of their thousand, and see how your brother's fare, and bring back news to them. Now Saul and they all the men of Israel were in the valley of a law fighting with the Philistines. So David arose early in the morning, left the sheep with the keeper, and took the things and went as Jesse had commanded him. And he came to the camp of the armies and was going out to fight and shouting for the battle for Israel. And the Philistines had drawn up a battle array army against army, and David left his supplies in the land of the supply keeper, ran to the army and came and greeted his brothers as they Then as he talked with them, there was a champion, the Philistine of the of the Gath, Goliath by name, coming out from the armies of the Philistines. And he spoke according to the same words. So David heard him, and all the men of Israel, when they saw the men, fled from him and were dreadfully afraid. So the men of Israel said, have you seen this man who has come up? Surely he has come up to defy Israel. And it shall be that the man who kills him, the king will enrich with great riches, will give his daughter, and give his father's house exemption from the taxes of Israel. Now keep in mind, okay, guys, keep in mind that David is filled with the Holy Spirit. Right, so the Holy Spirit has come upon him, So know that he has the power of the Holy Spirit. Let's continue. Then, David spoke to the man who stood by him, saying, what shall be done for the man who kills the Philistine and takes away from the reapproach from Israel? For he for who is this uncircumcised philistine? That he should defy the armies of the living God. And the people answered him in this manner, saying, sho shall it be done for the man who kills him. Now Ilieb, his oldest brother, had heard that he spoke to the men, and Ilieb's anger was aroused against David, and he said, why do you come down here? And with whom have you left those sheep in the wilderness. I know your pride and insolence of your heart, and you have come down to see the battle. And David said, what I have done, now, is there not a cause? That he turned from him toward another and said to the thing that these people had answered answered him as the first ones did. Now, when the words which David had spoke were heard, they reported them to Saul, and he sent for him. Then David said to Saul, let no man's heart fail because of him. Your servant will go and fight this philistine. And Saul said to David, you are not able to go against his philistine to fight with him, for you are a youth. He is a man of war, and he a man of war from his youth. But David said to Saul, your servant used to keep his father's sheep, and with the lion or a bear would come to the lamb of the flock. I went out after it and struck it, and delivered the lamb from his mouth. When it arose against me, I caught it by its beard and struck and killed it. Your servant has killed both lion and bear and uncircumcised. And this uncircumcised philistine will be like one of them, seeing that he has defied the armies of the Living God. Moreover, David said, the Lord who delivered me from the paul of the lion, from the paw of the bear, he will deliver me from the hand of the philistine. And Saul said to David, go and the Lord be with you. Oh, David is just like man. He has got so much faith. You see how he's walking by faith. Right here. What he says right there, if he delivered the Paul the lion, the Paul the bear, who will deliver me from the hand of this philistine man, David's faith is unlike any other. So let's go ahead and check this out. So in my notes it says, unlike the Israelite soldiers, David, a young shepherd, is not intimidated by Goliath. His confidence is rooted in his faith in God, as he declares, the Lord who delivered me from the Paul of the lion and the Paul of the bear will deliver me from the hands of the Philistines. Let's look a little deeper into David's faith. David, the second King of Israel, is renowned not only for his military proudness but leadership, but also for his profound faith in God. His life is chronicled in the books of First and Second Samuel, First Kings and First Chronicles, provides a rich tapestry of faith in action, marked by both trumpet triumphs and trials. So he's annoyted by God. For Samuel sixteen, verse seven, the Lord instruct Samuel, do not consider the appearance of his height. We already saw that faith in battle. We have that in one of the most iconic battles where he demonstrates his faith in his accounter with Goliath. And then let's check out the legacy of faith. David's faith left an incredible mark on Israel and the biblical narrative. His life serves as a model of heart devoted to God, characterized by trust, repentance, and worship. Despite his imperfection, David is remembered as a man after God's own heart. For Samuel thirteen, for a testament to the enduring power of faith in the life of a believer. Amen, So let me just I don't want to ruin anything. There's a lot of stuff in my notes right there where it'd be spoiler alerts for what happens later, So we won't do that. So now we're in First Samuel seventeen, verse thirty eight. So Saul clothed David with his armor. So Saul put his armor on David, and he put a bronze helmet on his head, and he also closed them with the coat of mail. David fastened his sword to his armor and tried to walk, for he did not test He had not tested them. And David said to Saul, I cannot walk with these. I'm only laughing because A I'm not like really huge either. So Saul is tall. He's a big guy, okay, because it said that he was taller than all the rest of the people. Right, So Saul, I cannot walk with these, for I have not tested them. So David took them off. The armor is too big for him. He's trying to walk. Click click. You can imagine you know something that doesn't fit you. You know you're not gonna be able to move in it anyways.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So in verse forty, it says then he took off his staff in his hand, and he chose for himself five smooth stones from the brook, and he put them in a shepherd's bag, in a pouch which he had in his sling in his hand, and he drew near to the Philistine. So what a lot of people say is people say that that Goliath had five brothers or four brothers or whatever. Let me see how many brothers did Goliath have. Let's see how many brothers did Goliath have. Goliath had three brothers, and they are named in the Bible as staff Lami and unnamed giant with six fingers on each hand, on six toes on each foot. According to the Bible commentaries and related sources, another giant, ish Banab, is also mentioned in connection with goliaths family, but is not explicitly stated. He was also a brother soft killed by Sabaki. What are David's warriors? Let me okay, I don't want to kill that because we'll see it later. But they people say, obviously it's probably a speculation, because it doesn't say in the Bible here that he grabbed five smooth stones from the brook to put one in Goliath to kill Goliath right, or to knock Goliath out, and then he kills him with the stone or with the sword. But he want but it looks like he he looks like he has three brothers for sure, so that would be four stones. And then people are naming that there was an unnamed giant that they connect with Goliath that could be his fourth brother. So these giants, including Goliath, are described as descendants of the Raphaim and Gath, says the religious commentary site. Okay, so I've heard Chuck Chuck Missler say that why did he grab five stones because to kill four of his brothers. I've heard a lot of people say that. Obviously, as we're seeing here, the Bible doesn't state that explicitly. But the Bible does talk about three of his brothers for sure, and then one that's unnamed that could be his brother. So you know, commentary says that it was his first four brothers, but the actual Bible, I'm not seeing that here. All I'm seeing is it's saying that he'd got five smooth stones from the brook, put them in a shepherd's bag, put him to sling his hand, and drew near to the Philistine. So the Philistine came, it began drawing near to David, and the man who bore the shield went before him. And when the Philistine looked and saw David, he disdained him, for he was only a youth, ruddy and good looking. So the Philistine said to David, am I a dog, that you come with me with sticks? And Philistine cursed David by his gods. And the Philistines said to David, come to me, and I will give your flesh to the birds for the air, and the bread and the beast of the field. That David said to the Philistine, you come with me. You come to me with a sword, with a spear and the javelin. But I come to you in the name of the Lord of Hosts, the God of the armors of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the Lord will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you. And this day I will give the carcasses of the camp of the Philistines to the birds of the air and the wild beast of the earth. And all the earth may know that this is the God, that there is God in Israel, and that this assembly shall know that the Lord does not save with the sword, does not save with sword and spear, for the battle is the lords. And he will give you into our hands walking by faith. And now he's speaking man prophetically, letting him know he's going to cut his head off. So we'll go to my notes. Okay. David confronts Goliath with boldness, proclaiming, you come against me with sword and spirit javelin, But I come to you against you in the name of the Lord, with a single stone. Yeah. I don't want to talk about that yet. Let's continue, all right. First Samuel seventeen, verse forty eight. So it was when the Philistines arose, came and drew near to meet David, that David hurried and ran toward the army to meet the Philistine. Then David put his hands in the bag and took out a stone, and he slung it and struck the Philistine in his forehead, so that the stone sank into his forehead and he felt on his face to the earth. So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and a stone, and struck the Philistine and killed him. And there was no sword in the hand of David. Therefore David ran and stood over the Philistine, took his sword and drew it out of his sheath and killed him and cut off his head with it. Wow, So we all know a lot of us know this story. But basically, he's running, he's got the sling, hit him so hard on the forehead it's stuck in his forehead, so it must have been a perfect shot. Bam.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And Uh, another thing that's kind of that people say of Rapayeim. If you look up that word raphi means to heal and em, you know. So the tribe is the Rafayem is a tribe and they're a tribe of giants. So what some people feel is maybe they were able to heal quicker. So this could be the reason why David came and cut his head off, because if he does hit him with the in the head and maybe maybe he has the ability to heal, could be a reason why he cut his head off. But he prophesies it and he went and did it. And when he and when you cut somebody's head off like that, and when you take out a giant, not only does the people the Israelites believe in you now, but the Philistines are also gonna go, who is this sky dude? He just came with a sling and killed the killed us giant, you know. And uh, the one that everybody was fearing and so scared of and so afraid of, he came and just and also they're gonna say, who is this God that he that he's saying that that he wants to make sure we all know of Wow, he must God must have helped him, you know. So it's it's it's a lot, a lot of things happening in one so uh, it says here the battle and victory. So with a single stone, David debeats Goliath, demonstrating the battle that belongs to the Lord. And let's see if no, I don't want to read into that in my notes. We're good, We're good, We're good. Okay, let's continue. And when the Philistines saw that their champion was dead, they fled. Now the men of Israel and Judah arose in, shouted and persuaded the Philistines as or pursued the Philistines as far as the entrance of the valley of the Gates of Ekron, and the wounded, and the wounded of the Philistines fell among the road in Sharim, then as far as Gath and Ekron and the children of Israel returned from chasing the Philistines, and they plundered their tents, and David took the head of the Philistine and brought it to Jerusalem and put his armor in his tent. And he put his armor in his tent. Then Saul saw David going out against the Philistines, and he said to Abner, the commander of the army, Adnir, who is the son is this youth? And Abner said, as your soul lives, O, King, I do not know. So the king said, inquire whose son the young man is. Then as David returned from the slaughter of the Philistine, Abner took him and brought him before Saul, with the head of the Philistine in his hand. And Saul said to him, whose son are you, young man? And David answered, I am the son of this of your servant, Jesse the Bethamite. So wow, obviously we're gonna stop there because this is two hours. But man, he's still holding the head of the giant. When he goes to see Saul, Saul's probably like, also, like, who is this guy? Right? He wants to know who's the son of because he's probably getting a little like, hmm, I wonder if this is the guy that's gonna try and take over my kingship, right, So what an interesting part there. We finished chapter seventeen next week we'll pick up at chapter eighteen. It's getting real intense now, and it's getting interesting. Right. We went over the story of David and Goliath, which a lot of people love that story, but it's great to read it for yourself because there's all these different things that people kind of throw in there that might not be biblical, you know, so it's good to kind of read it for yourself. Also, the House of David that show. I don't know if you guys watched it, but you know, you watch it and you're like, Okay, now you kind of know what's biblical and what's not. Obviously they add some drama to it. Also, they if you notice on how sad David, the leader of the Philistines of the king or prince or king ended up going to meet with that woman, and then Goliath had five brothers or four brothers there, and that woman was kind of like the giant, like I don't know, I guess she raised them or something. And there was a lot to that that they put in there that is not biblical. So that's why it's good to read the story for yourself. Right, So let's go ahead and stop sharing, and we'll go over some practical applications before we end for chapter seventeen. Trust in God's power. Like David, we should place our trust in God's power rather than our own abilities when facing challenges. Obviously God is all powerful, right, and David had so much faith. He just walked by faith, and I think that was amazing. Kurads in the face of fear. David's courage teaches us to confront our fears with faith, knowing that God is with us. And then preparation and faithfulness. David's preparation with his sling and stones reminds us to be faithful in the small things, trusting that God will use them for his purposes, and then also proclaim God's name in our battles. We should boldly proclaim the name of the Lord, recognizing that he is our ultimate source of victory. So let's go ahead and go down to connecting additional scriptures. So we have Joshua one, verse nine. Have I not commanded you be strong and courageous, Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged, For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. And then we have Psalms twenty three, verse four. Even though I walk through the Valley of the shadow of Death. I will fear no evil, for you are with me. You're Rod and your staff they comfort me. Psalms twenty three obviously is written by David, and then we have a Phesian six ten through eleven. Finally, be strong in the Lord and his mighty power. Put the full armor of God, so that you can withstand the walls of the devils, or the devil the devil's schemes is what this says here, but it actually says the walls of the devil in the New King James. So all right, very interesting. So we went and finished chapter seventeen. Like I said, we'll pick up a chapter eighteen and then for Wednesday service we're actually in the Book of Romans, so that's gonna be Romans chapter one. We're going to do a little intro and we're gonna go over that for Wednesday service. To look forward to that. And my eyes, guys, yeah, they feel a lot better. I don't know if you who was listening, you know what happened is I was I went out to a well site at twelve thirty at night by myself, and this chlorine had sprayed out and it ended up getting in my eyes, sprayed me in the eyes. So last show I was wiping my eyes so much. But you know what, God is great. My eyes are feeling a lot better and that's amazing. So all right, so that's the end of Sunday service this week. So let's go ahead and end this in prayer. So, Father God, in the name of Jesus, thank you so much for blessing us with this beautiful time, giving us a clear connection. And Lord, thank you so much for letting us go through your word and providing us with your word, giving us the ability to read your word. I know that a lot of people in the past they weren't able to read, so they had to depend on other people reading the Bible to them. Thank you for giving us this ability. And there's lot of Goliath and some people's lives Lord that they feel like they just can't conquer. So please give us the strength to deal with whatever we have in our life spiritually, physically, mentally. Lord, give us the power and help us to depend on You to fight our battles, and not us to try to lean on our own understanding. Help us to lean on your understanding, Lord, and help us to do your will. Because sometimes we get carried away in life and we have a lot of things going on, and we might not know your will because we're so lost in the sauce of life, Lord, and so many things come at us at once. Sometimes there's a lot of people asking us and depending on us, and sometimes we forget that we need to go to you and find out your will instead of doing all these other people's will. You know, I see that life moves at a rapid pace, and sometimes it's hard for us to understand what the true meaning of life is because we get so wrapped up in life. So help us to be aligned with your will. Help me be aligned with your will. And anybody that's listening, we appreciate everything you do. Lord, like always, we love you so much and we appreciate you in Jesus' name. Amen. Thank you guys so much for tuning in. Please tune in next week and also leave some comments on Spotify, especially if you stuck around to the end. Anybody that's listening on YouTube later when this is posted. I love you guys, God bless you. I appreciate you, and anybody that's listening on cold conspiracy podcasts, I appreciate you God bless you.