Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's finish strong here the five o'clock hour now underway for a Thursday edition of Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. As mentioned, when it comes to Thornton's, you need to be a member of their Refreshing Awards program. I mean, if you're not already, I mean, I have some questions, but you know, I'll.
Speaker 3: Let it slide.
Speaker 2: I mean, just check this out. If you're somebody that is a big Red Bull fan. I'm more of a Monster Energy drink guy, but I know a lot of people are big Red Bull fans. You can get three of them for just eight bucks right now if you're a member of the Refreshment Awards program at Thornton's.
Speaker 3: Also, you can.
Speaker 2: Get two Gatorades free if you buy to so By to get too free at Thornton's right now. When it comes to Gatorade, so that's again, these are many, these are That's just a couple of the many reasons why you should have joined long ago. When it comes to the Refreshment Awards program at Thornton. So go to Refreshman Awards dot com or download the app and sign up. You'll be happy that you did. And we're certainly happy to bring him in. He's Ken Spencer from w h AS eleven. How we doing on this beautiful afternoon, Kent.
Speaker 4: Man, I'm doing good. I'm doing good in fact, but I'm keeping my fingers cross because I would love for it to be this sunny, this kind of temperature this time next week.
Speaker 2: I mean, who's to say it won't be right. I mean, this is the kind of year where you really like you could get really warm for you know, late October, or you could get you could get really cold. I feel like lately a week, I feel like lately Halloween has been more on the colder and even rainy side. Maybe my memory's bad, but I feel like we've had some bad luck with with Halloween lately.
Speaker 4: And that's why, and that's why I think we could we could really use some good luck.
Speaker 3: We're do We're do right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll speak it into existence. We will believe in the power of positivity. All right, Let's I want to start with most recent and then work our way back so Kentucky last night, first exhibition game of the Mark Pope era. Obviously they played really well, drained a bunch of threes. You can tell quite clearly the style of play Mark Pope is bringing with him to Kentucky. But I want to get your thoughts on your you know, obviously you've covered Kentucky for quite a while now, as well as all the other local teams. What was it like to have a new guy there? Cali Perry was there for a long time, and Cal's got his way of going about things. What was the experience like from your perspective, just, you know, covering a game even though it wasn't a real one, but the first, you know, the first exhibition of this new era.
Speaker 4: Well, I wasn't I wasn't at RUP last night, but I will say, you know, just the vibe around both programs are just so different right now and and some ways there it's pretty refreshing because you know I and just to talk to.
Speaker 2: I think it's refreshing in every way from my perspective. That's just me and Buddy.
Speaker 4: I don't blame you, but I think with I think with like Kentucky. You know, Cal had been there, for fifteen years, and so everything it was almost like rints repat repeat on everything, and you knew kind of how exactly everything was going to go and how he was going to react and all this other stuff. And so you know, he's he's at Arkansas now and Mark Pope's here, and he's he seems like he's loving it. But also it's like, Okay, there's a new style, there's new players, there's you know, you're going through so many things, and you're watching this coach go through so many things for a first time, and you're constantly learning about little things, and you know, I think, you know, I was already in Louisville when I think Poe brought his Utah Valley State team to Reperena one time. But I wasn't there that night. I don't remember watching Mark Pope coach coach a game, but I was even on TV or on the internet last night. I remember just kind of watching even just kind of trying to Okay, what what is he all about? Excuse me? In these moments, it's just a it's a completely different deal, and so and there and all of these things are steps in the process. So like last night was the first exhibition game, and then there'll be a first one, and then there'll be some you know, like games against directional schools. But then you know, and and and it happens for both Louisvood Kentucky. Not long you start playing big boys, yep, and then you really get to learn what Pope and Kelsey are all about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, I maybe I'm just naive, but I get the sense that these two guys, both Pope and Kelsey, are extremely genuine with really just about everything they say. I mean, obviously they're given answers and saying things that you would expect a coach to say at these type of programs, and you know, given what the job is. But like, I think both of these guys are super passionate about where they are and really appreciative of the job they have, and that's refreshing to both of these fan bases. Just to give you an example, I don't think it's intentional, but there were a lot of things that Cali Perry did, other than losing to Oakland and Saint Peter's and whatnot, that really seemed to drive that fan base mad. As far as just some of the things he would say just cal Be and Cal and I think Pope, you know, he goes about it so much differently, and again I don't think it's intentional. I'm not sure he's trying to, you know, remind people that he's different than Cal. But like he's checking all the boxes. And I think Kentucky fans are experiencing joy that like they forgot was when it comes to like, hey, our coaches, he likes us, he likes our fan base. He's going to be nice to us. He's not going to talk to us like we're stupid. Oh, he's going to take questions from from some of us in the in the crowd during the postgame radio in you again, you got to win at these two places, there's no doubt about it. But I think both fans are really really all in on these guys because again they haven't played, they haven't coached a game yet, and we know that matters. But I think there's some real genuiness with both these guys, and I think for different reasons, both fan bases really needed that.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I always think like Cali Perry kind of lives his life like with a with a chip on his shoulder from you know, from from whatever. So I always think he lived his life with a chip on his shoulder, or he lives his life with a chip on his shoulder, and then all of a sudden, like what he doesn't understand is is that way is fine when you're going to final fours, you know, And it's almost like, you know, he almost like, hey, why would you ever question me on this? You know, Yeah, I'm a Hall of Famer. You can't question anything. And so whether whether that's the media, whether that's the fans, but but guess what, when you're going to final fours, your fan base will eat out of the palm of your hand yep. When they don't when you're when you stop going to final fours over a period of time and it doesn't look like you're headed back there anytime soon, they will bite off your hand. And that's what he and that's what he experienced, Mark Pope. It feels like he is, you know, it almost feels like he from his time as a player at Kentucky and then being in the NBA in his experience like he almost feels like he is just lucky to be where he is and he's super appreciative of everything that happens. That's the vibe that he gets out Pat Kelsey very much, the appreciation vibe definitely is putting out that vibe. Now here's what we're going to learn about both of these guys when it's not going good.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: And that's when it's much to her to predict.
Speaker 4: And and so like whether you think something is genuine or whether you think it's you know, fake or this or this, When it doesn't go good, that's what reveals true character. And that's what we're gonna find out about both of these guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it maybe rather early.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, Kentucky's going to take on this talented duke team in the Champions Classic and look, they may beat them, you never know, but you know they've got potentially the number one player in America. And then obviously Louisville's got Tennessee in their second regular season games, so who knows. Maybe both teams find ways to win, but you're right, and again, those aren't those aren't you know, bad losses if you if both teams were to slip up. But yeah, that there's no doubt seeing how fans react and really seeing how coaches handle a potential setback that is viewed by everybody as you know, we shouldn't have lost that game. We were not playing nearly as good as we should be, and that's gonna happen. It's a long season, and you're right that we're gonna learn. We're learning things every day about these guys as they're in their new positions. But that's the one that I'm most eager to see, is you know, what kind of vibe are we getting from them if maybe there is a stretch of the season where things aren't going very well. Now let's switch gears here to Louisville football, because things haven't been going very well this season. They've lost three games, all to good teams. And I still happen to believe that this team actually has some good pieces and they've got a chance to you know, I mean, I think they can win every game left on the schedule.
Speaker 3: Now will they do it, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, they've been pretty consistent as far as being a team that does make some crucial mistakes at bad times, and that's why they're sitting at four and three and two and two overall. And now they're going to be without one of their top receivers in Colin Lacey, who decided to opt out, taking advantage of the red shirt rule where if he played another snap, he would not have the ability to come back in twenty twenty five because he's opted out now he does. I mean, just your overall thoughts on this decision. I mean, it's not a big surprise in the grand scheme of things because of where college sports.
Speaker 3: Is right now.
Speaker 2: But I think for Louisville fans, at least from what I can tell when I do what I can as far as a checking of the poll, this is the first time I think Louisville fans have been hitting the gut with a guy just you know, taking advantage of this new world.
Speaker 5: Oh well, you know what, I wouldn't say it's the first time they've been hitting the gut because remember, like in the spring, Anny Boone.
Speaker 4: Bounced, bounced, you know what I mean. Like, so, I mean this is that that's that's a that's a harsh reality, but this is this is also part of it. Look, you know, it's kind of like those things that can you really blame the player, you know, like he's he's taken advantage of his rule because he's trying to either he wants a full season healthy, whether maybe he feels like he's done enough and he could back in the portal and maybe really get paid somewhere. Like you know, he's trying to you know, the young man and his agent or his people or whatever, they're just trying to make the best of their situation. And sometimes it's gonna you know, the school is gonna to pay the price in this and that's kind of that's kind of where we are now. But for him, he probably sees this as, look, I got one chance, Like the window is small, and so whatever that window looks like, I got to take advantage of it. And so it's you know, especially with Jayden Thompson being out for the year, it's a it's a really really tough blow to this offense moving forward because remember they lose him, They just lost Jamari Johnson for the year, and he had been their best tied end by far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think, I mean, I see it from both sides. I see why fans are like, well, wait a second, this guy just doesn't want to play anymore. But it's because this is now a job for these student athletes. I mean, we can still call them that because I guess technically their students as well. But I mean he's utilizing not really a loophole. He's just making the most of the current situation. And I think if he's not an NFL guy, which I'm not sure if he is or not, I mean, he could play another year of college football and potentially put away some nil money that would probably be a lot more more than whatever his entry level position would be in his first job after football. I mean, who knows how it works out for him, But I just think if people were in that situation, and it's it's hard to relate to these players. I mean a lot of us are a lot older than them, and this is still relatively new when it comes to just how things have been for so long in college athletics.
Speaker 3: But if you're at a job and.
Speaker 2: You have a chance to do some things that could potentially benefit you and your career from not only you know, a successful standpoint, meaning where maybe you go play for a better team, or maybe you put away more money, like I think most of us would do the same thing.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and look, you know the one thing that I that I see in all of that is is, you know, he's got to catch against Notre Dame. He's got the game tape against Miami, the kickoff return, some of the plays that he made as a wide receiver in that game, and he's doing that against a good team. That's a pretty good resume to put on if you go to the portal.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, right now.
Speaker 4: Look, I saw the same thing that everybody saw, Like the agent, Hey, we're working hard to get a deal to you know, return back. It's a strong possibility of returning back to Louisville in twenty twenty five. Now, let me ask you, Nick, would you be surprised if he ends up in the portal? Oh?
Speaker 2: No, I my prediction. I put this out there at three o'clock. I just said, if I had to guess how this plays out, they'll still play nice with Louisville meeting him and his agent, who's probably somebody the same age as him, and they will be available to negotiate with other schools and they'll keep Louisville in mind, and he'll probably get a big offer from a team that you know, maybe has a you know, has more momentum at that time for the next season. Like I mean, I'm not I wouldn't be stunned if he ends up back at Louisville. But I think he will absolutely go to the Portal. And my guess is that he'll end up elsewhere next year because he'll probably get a lot of money and it'll probably be a team that at that point maybe has a better outlook on twenty twenty five than Louisville does. Like that, That's that's my guess.
Speaker 4: Now, now here's the thing. You and I are on the same page. Yeah, yeah, just what just just that that's the that's the nature of the business. And yep, you know for these coaches, you know, coaching is just half the.
Speaker 2: Job, seemingly even less than half at time's man with all with with everything that goes into it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean that's why, you know, that's why like if you're in a program that could kind of like afford it and you could do it, it's it would be great for these people to have, you know, like gms, you know, general managers and roles where you don't have to worry about it as much. But you know that's you know, only probably precious few can can probably afford something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh again, I get why from like an emotional fan standpoint, like they just think, man.
Speaker 3: This sucks. I totally get it.
Speaker 2: But also I think, you know, eventually, I don't know if it'll be next year, five years from now, it'll be just an everyday thing where you realize guys are too. Now with Colin it is worth mentioning. His injury certainly is a huge factor here because if he never got injured, he had played and he wouldn't even have this opportunity. His injury, which again he came to Louisville, he got hurt that impacted his ability to play a full season in his last year. So his situation is a little unique as far as the timing here, but as far as dudes just realizing, hey, I can go ahead and just stop play and quit, as they say, opt out, whatever you want to call it, and that'll give me a chance to go play elsewhere and have another year. Or even if I don't make as much money as I made this past year, I can leave now and have you know, if I don't leave and I keep playing, then I won't have any money. So it's it's a new world, no doubt. Right, Let's go to Kentucky because I feel like we're doing reruns here when we talk Kentucky football camp, because they've had a couple of you know, real disappointing losses. In the last you know, losing to Vandy at home. I mean, it's not what it usually is, but still it's Vandy. And you know, obviously Kentucky wasn't as if they went out there and just lost to Vandy because Vandy was so talented. And then they go on the road to Florida, a team that you know, most people assume is going to move on from their coach at some point. They lose that game by four touchdowns. I mean I keep thinking, okay, well, eventually if they lose one, then it's really gonna be bad for Stoops and the fan base is going to be as toxic as ever. But like I kind of feel like there are there here is they get set to this Auburn matchup.
Speaker 4: Yeah. In fact, I would argue that like that that Georgia game and the Old Miss game for them, Like, I don't know where those two games came from, but that's not what this football team is. The outliers, right, Yeah, And so that's what you know, that's what we found out. I think this past Saturday at Florida was those two games. Those were really the outliers. And no, I I think the whole thing is in. I think it's like they could be staring at a just a massive downfall for the rest of the season. Like I I'll be honest with you, Like as I as I look at their their game this this Saturday against auburne like, I don't think they win that game. And then I think they got Murray State coming up in in a few weeks or whatever. You know, that's the that's the game they win, but they may not win another game for the rest of the year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they got Tennessee in Texas, which there you know, those are really really good teams. You have to go play, and you're playing poorly and losing to teams like Vandy and Auburn. I mean them winning four or five games is certainly on the table, right.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, And so you know, I think there's a couple sayings like losing Maxwell Harriston, who is an unbelievable cover corner that's really hurt their defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see him on Saturday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've they've had a couple of injuries in their secondary that have really hurt them on the back end. And so I think they're doing a pretty good job against the run up front. But man, if you if you won't have the pieces back there that can that could cover and hold up, man, you're really going to struggle. And that's what's that's what's happening to them with their defense back there on the secondary. And then look it come it comes down to this, Like I get it early in the year, never played, you know, never started college games, never really started an SEC game like that. Stuff's gonna take some time. But Brock Vandergriff struggling, yep, and it does not the pieces around ing, And so it is it. You have to be able to do the simple things when it comes to throwing and catching. Like it. You can run the ball and you can be fifty to fifty balanced, but every now and then you're gonna have to pick up a third and eight. And so when you get the ball as a quarterback, you've got to be able to plant your foot, read a defense step, and throw with confidence. And I just don't if he does it, he does it five to ten percent of the time, and that's just not good. Enough. So I just don't. I just think that they took a stab at a at a highly touted high school quarterback that just never got his chance at Georgia. They thought he would be it. They were hoping because it's the same formula that they used with like a Will Levis, they hoped they were able to strike lightning twice. It just isn't It just isn't working out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean, the thought of them going four and eight or five and seven. I mean, again, as we discussed, it's clearly on the table. But I mean that would be the first time where I think a Kentucky team under Mark Stoops. You could because they've had years where they weren't that good, where their wins didn't get them to a bowl game or anything like that. But this would be I think the first time where objectively everybody would have to say they should have been a lot better.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: I know they've had injuries and they do have a tough schedule, clearly, but like this would be I think, you know, a Stoop season that would be different than than the others that were underwhelming.
Speaker 4: Well, and let's be honest, right, like the pieces the pieces around all of it. It all centered on the quarterback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's an important position.
Speaker 4: Pro talked about it a bunch in fall camp, like what's he gonna look? Like, what's he gonna And by the way, he's like his arm talent is like the reason why some people write poetry, Like he can he's got a cannon. But if you can't read a defense, or you can't make a decision and step and throw with confidence and deliver accurate footballs, then then you're not doing anything. And like on the flip side, right, like Tyler Shuck at Louisville, like nobody really knew he showed flashes, but nobody ever saw it. So Shuck was kind of a question Martin going into this season. And did you see the ball, the twenty one yard touchdown pass that he threw to Jacory Brooks, Like that's putting your foot in the ground and that's that. And by the way, I don't know if you've seen the throw from the zone, like it feels like the ball should have been picked, but he just threaded a needle. He's like, whatever you need as a quarterback, Shuck has it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what unfortunate for Louisville that, you know, and they could still finish the season strong. We'll see what happens the rest of the way. But I think I was listening to one of the NFL Draft podcast earlier this week, and he's not mentioned as somebody they expect to be, you know, one of the top guys in this draft. But one of the analysts mentioned that he's at Louisville been able to show some things with his arm that even when he was healthy at other schools, they never saw before. So yeah, that's one position you don't have to worry about for Louisville as the quarterback. But you know, they've not been able to close out in some of these bigger games. But can't we got to run. Always appreciate the conversation, my man, fingers crossed. Let's hope we get some good weather a week from today.
Speaker 4: All right, yes, sir, thank you buddy.
Speaker 2: Take care again. That's Kid Spencer from WHAS eleven. Good conversation each and every week with our man Kent quick break. We'll come back on the other side and myself and the company man, we got some games to discuss for this weekend. John's out tomorrow, so we'll talk about well I'll give him the Florida share his picks. I've got a few, but almost feel bad sharing him. You should fade him.
Speaker 3: That'll be your best bet.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow we were alive from the Alex Rowhite Lawyers offices for the show from three to six little road trip, I mean, not really. I mean it's not very far at all from here, but you know, taking the show on the road, which should be a lot of fun. Austin's going to be out there with me. John is out, but we'll try to carry on without him. Easier said than done, but we're certainly going to give it a shot. And then pregame show will start at six thirty, the Louisville Football Pregame Show presented by Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and Jefferson Animal Hospital. And then it'll be a late night Tomorrow night. Me and my man Carl, that's right, isn't his name? Carl Blanton in the house to produce as we react to whatever happens tomorrow night in Chestnut Hills. So as soon as the game ends, we go live taking your phone calls. Probably a lot of drunk people, which usually is a lot of fun and it's even more fun whenever Louisville wins.
Speaker 3: So let's hope that that's the case.
Speaker 2: You don't have to be drunk to listen or call in, but you know, I can tell you there's probably going to be some folks late at night on a Friday for.
Speaker 3: One of two reasons.
Speaker 2: They're drinking, they're paying away, or they're celebrating because Louisville avoided what would be a bad loss to Boston College. But whatever happens, we'll react. It's the Louisville Football postgame Show, presented by alex Ry Lawyer's suit distracted driver dot Com. All right, so real quick, before we get into some of our picks, have you seen what's going on with this Kansas and Arkansas charity scrimmage exhibition.
Speaker 6: I knew that they were having one, but I didn't know they were so maybe controversy that we about to get into it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not I don't know if it's controversy, but like this is so cow one.
Speaker 3: His first presser to get set.
Speaker 2: For a game, which again this is an exhibition, his first pressure at Arkansas to talk about an upcoming opponent. He sent Kenny Payne. He did see that he nos showed. I swear to God, John, and I don't do that often. I thought about seeing if that was a zoom presser option and getting on there and asking Kenny Payne about why sucks so bad at Louisville. I would have gone viral. I would have looked like an aol to some people, but it also would have been funny.
Speaker 6: It would have been funny.
Speaker 2: But I you know, I guess I'm more mature than I than I give myself credit for, because I resisted in doing that. But anyways, so, but there's a bunch of injuries, and I guess this thing's going to be streamed somewhere, like Indiana's playing Tennessee or is it.
Speaker 6: It's Tennessee and it'll be on SEC Network Plus or whatever.
Speaker 2: Okay, it'll be a stream and I'm jealous. I wish Louisville was playing, you know, an opponent that was believed to be good or expected to be good, just to see where you stand. Again, though, it's not a real game, so if you lose, you're worried that maybe your team's not as good as you thought they were. And if you win, you don't get any credit for beating a team that if it was a real game like it would give you a lot of value, you know.
Speaker 6: What I mean, least you hope it's competitive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Louisville did this a few years ago. In fact, it was Max's best season, that twenty twenty team that ended up being really good. They scrimmaged Ohio State, who was I think borderline top twenty five. Louisville was preseason top ten top five that year, and Ohio State got them pretty good. But none of us saw box score. None of us saw anything. So it was almost like you heard about it and you were kind of worried, but you know, without seeing it or even knowing the final score, you kind of forgot about it. But if you get to watch it, I mean again, it won't really mean a whole lot. But you know, if you're if you're a diehard fan of your team when it comes to college hoops, and your team has expectations, which obviously Indiana does, I mean Kansas and Arkansas do as well.
Speaker 6: So it's a chance for Louisville fans to see what two of your opponents will look like.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two teams you're gonna play pretty early, so I hadn't thought about it that way. But anyways, there's so many guys out for both of these teams that like they're already kind of hinting that it's not going to be like a real game. So Hunter Dickinson's not going to play. He hasn't practiced. It sounds like in a couple of weeks, uh, Shaquille Moore a transfer to Kansas from Mississippi State, one of their guards, another transfer from Alabama, Ryland Griffin, also a guard, they're going to be out. They're not playing, so you know, Dwan Harris, kJ Adams, their returning guys are playing. One of their other transfer Zeke Mayo, is going to be playing. But after that, it's going to be a lot of reserves, Like they don't even have a whole lot of bodies. And when it comes to Arkansas, I don't know what kind of injuries they've got going on, but it sounds like, yeah, it says they're gonna be without five players. Some of it I mean Thiero of course, former Kentucky player Janelle Davis, one of the top guys in the portal. Also, they're big guy Adu who transfer from Tennessee. I mean, he's been limited and has not been in any contact drills or practices lately, so I mean, to me, it kind of seems like a real waste, but you know whatever, but Cal implemented a rule here that they're going to play quarters instead of haves and there's actually going to be some stoppage for practice type situations here for coaches to work on things and show thing. I mean to me, this is Cal doing what Cal does, always wanting to have controlled getting away with things that most wouldn't even attempt to do, like change this from an actual exhibition scrimmage to we'll play some quarters and maybe let them play a game a knockout and we'll all yuck it up, because that's I mean, Cal's.
Speaker 3: Cal would probably get killed if everybody was healthy here. But like then this likes in this a playbook out of Cal's.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but I'm sure Kentucky fans are looking from afar like Okay, I'm glad we're getting away from this guy.
Speaker 2: And look, I appreciate Kentucky fans who in the now will acknowledge this thing for what it is. And what I mean by that is like maybe one day there's that Kumba y'a moment with cal and he comes back. But like right now you can say that you appreciate all that he did and know that it worked out really good for you because he just left. But also to act as if that means you're going to be pulling. No, if this was a real scrimmage, and look it is gonna be I guess, I mean they're doing quarters. I guess they're keeping score, but like you will clown him endlessly if they get mopped in this game. And that's okay, that's what this is. He's now the enemy for the time being, and he maybe the enemy long term.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: But like.
Speaker 2: Mark Pope saying, we we we hope, uh we hope Cayle Pull wins every game with the lessons February first, Uh, Like no, Like that's the one time that I heard Mark Pope and I'm sure he's done it before. Or I'm like, no, you aren't. Like you can say that, but that's not playing the hits yet. That's not what your fans want to hear. Now, they're gonna just assume you're being honest and think that you're great. But like, no, I mean cal left you, and again you're happy left, but he's he's an ex and you want your ex to be down bad. Let's be honest here, all right, give me your first pick, actually the first pick, give me be the one you're most confident in this weekend, John.
Speaker 6: So I've got a couple of different parlays. I won't necessarily give you every little pick, but one thing that I'm really confident in is Ohio State and minus twenty five and a half against Nebraska at home. Okay, obviously, you know what happened with Nebraska against Indiana last week, and I think Ohio State's going to feel some sort of pressure to kind of equal that type of result against the Nebraska team who may be reeling right now. So that's why I'm pretty confident in so far for my first pick.
Speaker 2: My and again, I don't know how confident I am in any of these, if I'm being honest with you. But Oklahoma twenty and a half point dogs to Ole Miss, and Oklahoma just got waxed by South Carolina, and Ole Miss is a better team, but that's too many points. I mean, I know they're a mess. And Britt Venables he needs to start winning or he may not even be at.
Speaker 3: Oklahoma next year.
Speaker 2: But I look, I mean again, thirty four to three to Texas, thirty five to nine to South Carolina. But I just don't see them losing this game by three touchdowns. I could see them losing by closer to fourteen or seventeen. And I wouldn't be shocked if they come out and compete, because you know, I think they are better than what you've seen up to this point, and Ole Miss I feel like, right now, you got to call it like it is. They're not terrible, but they're nowhere near a national championship contender, like everybody said that roster was before the season started. So again, I won't lie to you and say that I'm like totally confident, but I just think that's too many points for an Oklahoma team that still has some pride about them. I would assume they're going to come out and look to compete. So that's what I'm definitely going to be adding is Oklahoma plus twenty and a half. I may buy half a point just to you know, potentially have a push because if they lose by twenty one, that'd be a tough one to take. But that's one for me that stands out.
Speaker 3: What about you?
Speaker 6: Here's another one standing in the Big ten for this one, And this is a team that I feel like, even when they put together good results, they're still getting disrespected by Vegas. And that's Illinois plus twenty one and a half at Oregon. And I know it's on the road in the West Coast, but Oregon seems to kind of play down to teams at certain times. And not that Illinois is a bad team, but they've been competitive against every team they played and even beaten some of them, like Michigan, Nebraska. They were competitive against Penn State when they lost on the road. And I think Illinois will at the very least keep this one within three touchdowns.
Speaker 2: I know Alabama fans are losing their mind, but I think they cover seventeen here they're at home. They're better than Missouri. Missouri was the fakest Top ten team of all time. Like Missouri nearly lost to Boston College. They really got it again. I mean, you can't control it, but they benefited in a major way from beating a not legit Ohio State team in a bowl game, and I mean not legit that they didn't have all their guys play, because Ohio State is the kind of program that, like, no, if we're on the playoff, like all my NFL draft player draft picks are not going to play in that game. So you know, Missouri, I mean, they barely got by against Auburn. They did beat you, Mass, but that's you Mass. But then they lost and got their ass kicked by a and m barely beat Vandy, a game they should have lost. Again, barely beat Boston College. The other games were against Buffalo and Murray State. So I mean, I'm not buying them in general, and I would take Bama to cover big even if this wasn't the case. But this makes it to where I can't believe the number hasn't jumped up more than seventeen because their quarterback, Brady Cook is not going to play, and then the running back who is their leading rusher also not going to play, Nate Noel. So I mean, you're without your leading rusher, without your starting quarterback. Bama is at home. I know they've not. I mean, clearly this is this is this isn't Nick Saban in Alabama. But you know, Bama did just lose to a good Tennessee team by a touchdown and they're still just a lot better. I mean, I think even if Missouri was at full strength, I wouldn't be shocked if they beat Missouri at home by four touchdowns, because that's just the way I see it. So I want to get on that one quickly because I wouldn't be shocked at that one's closer to twenty. As far as the spread by the time we get to kick off, are you got one more you want to share?
Speaker 6: I do. I like the over in Miami FSU which I believe right now it's at fifty four and a half, and I may be I may start betting the over in every Miami game moving forward if they continue to put up points the way that they do, and I think that just seems like a very safe play this weekend.
Speaker 3: What did you say that the total was?
Speaker 6: I got it at fifty four and a half.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like that one.
Speaker 2: I'm instead of giving you another pick, I'm just gonna I'm gonna emphasize that this is a good play here because Miami could could potentially get that on their own. And then the formula that I'm referencing here at sports Line has has this as a thirty six to twenty one victory, which would put it at fifty seven. So right now it is at fifty four and a half. You say that's what you got it at. Yes, Yeah, So I like that because again, Miami, I mean they're gonna score, there's no doubt about that.
Speaker 3: And you know they may not.
Speaker 2: They could give up maybe ten or thirteen to this bad Florida State team, and I would still I would still say, Okay, that's enough, because Miami is going to do their part the formula here. Again, they've got thirty six points. I think Miami scores in the forties here, just because they've got that kind of momentum. And look, Florida State, Like I wouldn't be shocked if Florida State lost this game fifty seven to three. I mean that would be an insane beat down. But like Florida State is is is they.
Speaker 6: Have nothing, nothing that they have to say. That team has nothing to play for playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like again, like this is the kind of situation where you fade teams because of the snowball, right, Like, you get down ten points, you're dead. You get down a touchdown, you might be dead at this point because you can tell yourself, hey, this is you know, one game, one game season, the next game is is all that matters? The human elements a powerful thing. These guys know they're the biggest embarrassment in college football, and they know they're the most potentially underwhelming team of all time in college football, depending on how this season plays out.
Speaker 6: So I've got to throw one more out there. That's my upset pick of the week. We're taking Navy money line against Notre Dame. Okay, it's happening.
Speaker 3: I like that. I like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if I'll take a money line, but thirteen and a half is too many. I think good stuff, good stuff, right quick pick will come back on the other side and wrap this thing up. I am jealous of one of our listeners who mentioned they're heading out to the game tomorrow and Boston should be.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's it's.
Speaker 2: Annually, or I guess not annually because you don't play them every year at their place. But I always say that you should go to one. You should try to if you can make it work. If you can't make it work, I totally understand, especially in this economy, and also the team being good as a factor as well. But a road trip, one football road trip year is I think worth doing if you can make it happen. And Louisville has had mostly the same type of destinations, and neutral sites don't really count. I mean they do what they don't like, I'm not like super anti like playing a random game against a team in a different city. Like I just to me, going on the road and going in an environment where you know, there's you know, it's a real college football home environment. That's what makes it fun. So Boston College would never really check that box, right because I mean the state, I mean, the facilities are kind of a dump compared to everybody else in the ACC. They're never usually a team that you're excited to play because you know it's Boston College. But Boston, of course is a phenomenal city. So yeah, I'm jealous that that some fans are going, and I hope that Louisville wins on Friday and then you enjoy the rest of your time there in the in the northeast, all right, let's talk about Jefferson Animal Hospital. They've been around for a long time, in fact, forty four years since in nineteen eighty they've been open twenty four hours a day, including all holidays, with a doctor on site every night, including Christmas. That's right, any day or night or shift Jefferson Animal Hospital. They're dedicated staff. They've got you covered when it comes to your pets. In case of an emergency, you can schedule an appoyment for any time, day or night, walk right in. They'll be happy to see you. They save lives every day. And that's how you stick around for forty four years. And I'm sure many of you have been to Jefferson Animal Hospital before, and this is kind of a weird partnership. I mean, it's been great, but it's one of those things that I've had a few people who I don't know, some people I know have obviously gone to Jefferson Animal Hospital. I have when it comes to our dog. But you know, it's one of those things where people like, hey, you know, I heard you mentioning Jeffersonnimal Hospital and they're like, they're awesome, And then they mentioned of course because they were.
Speaker 3: They were there and.
Speaker 2: Kind of helped guide them through a very sad time, which is when you have to at times say goodbye to your pet and and you know it's their time. But you know, that's a pretty sad and delicate thing that you'll probably remember forever. And if you had somebody that helped you throughout that process and made that situation as best as it could be, even though it's certainly not a good situation, that's something you remember. So that's how they've been around for so long and have such a great reputation. So again, it's Jefferson Animal Hospital. You can give them a call at BABO two nine hundred pets or visit Jefferson evetts dot com. We're out of time, everybody. Enjoy your night, John, enjoy your long weekend.
Speaker 3: My man will do.
Speaker 2: I'm sure when we come back on Monday, we'll still be talking about an undefeated Indiana team.
Speaker 1: I hope, so.
Speaker 2: Hopefully, hopefully, when you return, Louisville has not lost to Boston College. Fingers crossed.
Speaker 3: Have a good night, everybody,