Speaker 1: Dot channel nine first one of one.
Speaker 2: The forecast floodwatch begins at two pm last till midnight. Scattered storms are likely today. We're going to high eighty six with the hotter heat in deck seventy three overnight, with more rain tomorrow, showers storms likely in the afternoon. It will be sticky muddy eighty five for the high thady or an every slight chance of storms seventy one eighty three the high on Saturday, with very humid conditions and a chances some more rain seventy eight.
Speaker 1: Right now, let's hear about traffic.
Speaker 3: You see how Traffic Center. You see how Brain Tumor Center finds answers for some of the most complex brain tumors.
Speaker 1: Learn more at you see how dot com.
Speaker 3: Northbound seventy five ad an extra ten out of Erlinger into downtown, then slow and again at the lateral southbound seventy five and extra five through Lachlan, just a bit heavy southbound seventy one through Blue Ash and inbound seventy four from Montana to seventy five. Chuck King ramon fifty five KRS the talk station.
Speaker 2: Hey thirty viney five KRC DE talk station Friday EE it is that time of week I always look forward to. I heard me the aviation expert Jay Ratlo joins the program and talk aviation issues. Of course, that's his area of expertise that in stock trading. Nice couple of days you had there. He always lets me know a lot much he makes, which cracks me up. You doing a good job, Jay, Well.
Speaker 4: Just it's patience that I teach my students. If you can just be patient, the opportunities are there. And you know if my students sometimes will send me an email, Jay, only made six percent here, and they're ticked, and I'm like, what you would take to make six percent using anything else? Anywhere else? Yeah, sometimes when your expectations are high, you have you know, a little bit you it's like you you know, you've got high expectations of yourself, and you know, anything less than that you don't find totally satisfactory.
Speaker 5: I spend a lot of.
Speaker 4: Time reminding my students that, you know, when you're doing what other people consider impossible. Yeah, I appreciate every win because those smaller.
Speaker 5: Gains that up.
Speaker 2: Good point, Jay, good point. And I always appreciate your optimism too. Let us start, if you don't mind what's going out order here? Because the Air India crash has got all the rage. We had this initial report that suggests the one of the two pilots turned the fuel switches off. There are switches in the airplane which allow you to cut the fuel to the engines. Now you may want to explain the reason why those even exist, but it's I guess, fairly well confirmed that the flight data recorder indicates that those switches were turned off shortly after takeoff. One of the pilots asked the other one why he did that, and he claimed he did not do that. There was an effort to turn the switches back on, but by then it was too late. What this I mean, it's sounding intentional, Jay, And this wouldn't be the first intentional murder slash suicide that's happened on air aircraft before.
Speaker 5: It would not be.
Speaker 4: And obviously we're talking about the initial report that was just a few weeks after the accident itself, and the final report is a good twelve months or so down the road. But the fuel control switches, there are times when you do need to cut the fuel flow to a specific engine if you're having problems with it, and there's two switches, and there's spring controlled spring loaded, I guess is a better way to phrase it. And you just grab it and you pull it straight out and then over a little thing in the middle and then drop it back into place again with the assistance of the spring.
Speaker 1: So you can't bump it off.
Speaker 2: I mean, the point is, yeah, it requires a specific mechanical action that pulling out component.
Speaker 4: Right, and there's two black boxes. The flight data recorder is what investigators were able to glean the information from. That said, shortly after rotation, in other words, just as the wheels left the runway is when they were put into the off position, and you can hear that on the cockpit voice recorder, which is just not the voices, but you could hear the click of each one of those being put in are repositioned one after the other, and because of the location, they would be something you would do one at a time. Left to right is typically how the flight crew would do it, but hero is a situation where you don't know why it took place. Now, a lot of times, as a matter of procedure, if you're flying the airplane, when you get to the gate, one of the last things you'll do is cut.
Speaker 5: The fuel to the engines.
Speaker 4: It's just a precautionary measure. Stop the float to the aircraft engines, just part of the protocol. There might be times in flight where you've got a problem with an engine and you need to cut one or even both off at a specific time, but Brian, you never do it right after takeoffs.
Speaker 5: And they were in the.
Speaker 4: Off position reportedly from this initial report for about ten seconds before they were put back. One of the engines started to respond, but sixty second flight they didn't have nearly enough time. But the Wall Street Journal report that the pilot that apparently did it is considered to be the captain. Now, I know a lot of times the thought was, okay, could it have been this junior first officer, But you know, the junior first officer was one that was flying the airplane.
Speaker 5: His hands were full.
Speaker 4: You've got the captain that was monitoring, because the pilot in command at that point in time of the aircraft was the first officer, and apparently it was him that looked to the captain and said, why do you turn those those offs, to which he responded he did not. Now, could it be something where they he did something where he was thinking something else. Typically not because when that procedure happens, it's a it's a it's a process where you say you're about to do it, the other pilot, uh, you know, confirms, and then the action is done, the fingers put on the the switch and again it's communicated, you know, cutting power to engine two done. It's a back and forth thing where you don't have one pilot acting on their own. It's a team effort in everything. So sadly, this latest revelation, the one from the initial report, could suggest that we could go through this entire year long investigation and not really have a good idea of why it happened. Yeah, but we know what took place, but the why aspect of it not. Now, this is going to be something that you can hear a lot of people talking about why we need a cameras in the cockpit, which pilots are dead set against.
Speaker 5: I think that they should be there.
Speaker 4: They're they're in trains and buses and all these other kinds of things everywhere. So I don't I don't, you know, I don't agree with that at all. But the other thing that is going to be pushing here is Oh, here we go, Jay, Yet another crash, another loss of life due to pilot air And isn't it time that we have more automation in the cockpits so we can have fewer pilots. And even though I'm against the idea, it's it's a fair argument to have.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and Holman Jenkins made that argument today. He just brought up the concept. But we wouldn't have to completely remove the pilots to incorporate automation. And one of the suggestions he had was, why not have you know, ground based ability to take over control of the flight. Well, that doesn't eliminate human error, but how about artificial intelligence, you know, like the seven thirty seven Max software upgrade that they didn't bother telling pilots about to have AI scream at the pilots you're doing it wrong, or do this rather than what you're doing, or stop what you are doing. I mean, that seems like an easy extension of the intelligence we already have now.
Speaker 4: Well, and it's there because you know, when Air India flight took off, there was a lot of people saying that the flaps weren't in the proper sense for takeoff. And I'm thinking well, then you're ignoring a very loud screeching sound in the cockpit because that aircraft is going to tell you the flaps are not set for takeoff as you're starting to roll. So that's something that we already have. So we've got the automation, the protective systems within the cockpit and avi onyx that we have as a package on a lot of different aspects of the operation. You don't have a landing gear down as you approach the ground and alarm sounds. All these things are there to help the pilots who may have a lot of things going on to remember to do specific things. But something like that, you know to to not you know, Plus the engines are humming and you and at that point of rotation they're room I mean, they've got that.
Speaker 5: Deep rumble and you cut the power.
Speaker 4: On those, you're immediately going to know it, yeah, because they're gonna start to spool down. So that in itself is an audio alert that something's wrong. So we have some of that stuff built in that's there. But you know, if somebody's intent I don't care. If if the ground does have the capability to take over, there's always going to be a way on board for the aircraft crew members to override it if there's something else that's going ongoing that maybe isn't initially detected. So Ran there's a lot of questions here, and we're gonna have to wait and see where things go. They're looking into the mental health of the pilots, and a lot of pilot union people I've talked to, and I have students that are commercial pilots, are saying, you know, let's be very slow as we rush the judgment here. And I certainly agree that we need to do that, but it's it does not look good. And the way you honor the lives of people that were lost is Okay, if it was a mechanical situation, let's fix it and move on. When it involves possible mental health, that's.
Speaker 1: A totally different walk game.
Speaker 5: And then you're looking at.
Speaker 4: Your crew members when they get on like, okay, are you okay to fly today? And that's an unsettling thought.
Speaker 2: It is certainly an unsettling thought. And maybe when something like that outside of the ability of a non medical professional to clearly assess. Let's bring Jay Ratliff back more to talk about including idiots doing idiot things because they're idiots.
Speaker 1: It's eight thirty nine right now. If you have KCD talk station fifty five KRC, did you pass?
Speaker 2: I heard me the aviation nextpert Jay Rival moving away real quick here before we pass on air Andy. I just got to ask it because it came out earlier in the conversations this morning with listeners. Do they ever do any follow up mental health screenings of pilots like throughout their career, Like, hey, every year you got to come in and do a psych check or something like that.
Speaker 4: Now we have the overall fitness part of it, the mental health aspect is encouraged, but unless it's depending on an airline and something I'm not aware of most of the time, it is not there as needed. And fortunately there's a lot of pilots that take advantage of that. And you know why pilots would be considered immune from all the things that impact all of us and all these other different professions. I mean, obviously those men and women go.
Speaker 5: Through a lot.
Speaker 4: So yeah, man, it's there for them as they need and fortunately a lot of people take advantage of it.
Speaker 2: All right, And why would someone punch a United Airlines gate agent Jay Ratliffe.
Speaker 4: Well, normally alcohol is involved. This was at the Washington Dallas Airport. He had a delayed flight, and anytime you have a really delayed flight, you know people are gonna be spending time relaxing alcohol. And there was a man that came up. He started yelling at the gate agent. He actually took his boarding passes that I refused to fly, tore it up, and then storm back to the ticket counter demanded another one. Well, but the captain is aware of some of this that's ongoing. So the captain you know, shows up and pulls the passenger off to the side and says, you're not flying on this airplane.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's just we'll help you on.
Speaker 4: Another flight, but you're not gonna be on my aircraft. Well, the guy gets mad and walks over to the gate agent and punches him and knocks the gate agent out. Well, the passengers arrested off. He goes he could have faced ten years in prison two hundred and fifty thousand dollars fine, as these always are, it's flea dealed down where I think he had to pay fifteen thousand to the gate agent he knocked out. He will face the fine from the FAA be banned from flying United Airlines ever again. But you know he can fly Delta tomorrow, Yeah, the next day, all these other US carriers. A man who's proven to be a threat to fellow passengers and other crew members, perhaps it's allowed to fly. And I just I think that's wrong. Now if it's a situation where they get in an argument, disagreement, you know, blah blah. Okay, I get that we don't want to ban somebody like that, But to me, here's a very clear case. He can't put them on the terror watch list, but a clear case of where okay, you've lost your flying privileges, which is what it is, yes, for a year, for two years something where there's some significance with regards to consequences, and Brian, it just doesn't exist because airlines aren't willing to create something like that because it's at a cost for them to create that kind of database, manage that database to keep these individuals off the fly.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I guess Delta air Lines is looking to maximize profits. Now they're going to be using artificial eligence to do that. Jay Ratliff will come back and tell us how that's gonna work plus hub delays. One more segment with I heard media aviation expert Jayradliff. It's eight forty six right now fifty five kercit talk station fifty five KRC.
Speaker 6: Mark your calendars for July twenty six at Miami Valley Gaming. It's your chance to drive home a winner in a brand new Mercedes convertible. Or you could walk away with forty five grand in cash a new Mercedes or forty five grand at Miami Valley Gaming on July twenty six.
Speaker 1: Must be twenty one.
Speaker 6: Ohio Problem Gambling Helpline one eight hundred and five eight nine nine ninety sixty six or visit org.
Speaker 4: Dot Ohio dot com.
Speaker 5: Ready to take a.
Speaker 1: Break, visit Timeout Ohio dot com. Worry about your money? One more look at the weather.
Speaker 2: It's got in afternoon storms likely about around one o'clock. Floodwatch kicks in. It to last until midnight. Pretty broad area for the floodwatch too. Today's I eighty six seventy three overnight with more rain. Got an opportunity for some more rain tomorrow again it'll be sticky and I have eighty five cloudy overnight sly chance rain seventy one and another sticky Saturday with the chance of showers eighty three Saturdays high closing out at eighty Right now, time for final traffic.
Speaker 3: Chuck from the UC Help Tramfic Center. The UC Health Brain Tumor Center finds answers for some of the most complex brain tumors.
Speaker 1: Learn more at uc health dot com.
Speaker 3: Northbound seventy five at an extra ten minutes between Turf Way and Town stapbound seventy five. That's a slow go in and out of Blackland. Stapbound seventy one heavy. It's between Fighter and the Reagan Highway. Chuck ingramon fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 2: Hey forty eight, fift five KRCD talk station Happy Friday, e Tech Friday, Dave pat of Tomorrow at six thirty, like it is every Friday, the meantime. One more here with IRT media Aviation expert Jay Ratliffe. Artificial intelligence creeping in everywhere and og there's a pesky profit motive motive over at Delta Airlines. How are they using AI to maximize their profits?
Speaker 4: Jay, Well, you know most of the time and for decades there lines of us what we call a static pricing model for their pricing of their seats, sell x percentage at this low price, and then a slightly lower percent at a higher price, and it goes from there, and as each one's ticked off the available seats, the.
Speaker 5: Fare goes up.
Speaker 4: Well, Delta has been using over the last several years artificial intelligence as a way to kind of boost their profit. Now they're saying, we're doing this because it gives the customer the price they're willing to pay, so they're saying it's a good thing for consumers. Now, this is also the same airline that was caught charging more for a single traveler than for a couple traveling on the same route, so sometimes up to seventy percent more. So am I going to necessarily believe that this increase in AI pricing is for my benefit?
Speaker 5: No, it's for profit.
Speaker 4: And Delta right now is planning as much as twenty percent of their fares to be based on artificial intelligence pricing. And obviously Delta right now is leading the pack with regards to the revenue their performance. They're just a very very well ran airline and they will be setting the pace for other airlines because they'll follow this as well. So artificial intelligence as it's in its infancy, if you will, and a lot of aspects and businesses. It's the exact same thing here. Where airlines can use this a for pricing, they're certainly using it for customer service where they have artificial intelligence responding to people as they have various questions and things.
Speaker 5: And it's back.
Speaker 4: To the more technology we have, the cheaper it will be for us because we do not have to worry about employee costs and benefits and.
Speaker 5: All the things that go with that.
Speaker 4: And yeah, they're running in this direction as fast as they can so, but I love Delta. They are my carrier of choice, but I am not going to believe artificial intelligence is being put in place for my benefit of pricing.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, it's a safe bet, Jay.
Speaker 2: Now the AI will will probably be performing some sort of actuarial analysis in order to determine pricing. Like I guess they could figure out which flights to which destination typically have more business travelers and those are the ones that are willing to pay the most money for a ticket as opposed to like maybe holiday destinations where people have the luxury to plan a year in advance for their for their flight and it.
Speaker 4: Can also look back to what Jay's paid on previous tickets. Oh, so it's already got an idea of what is comfortable for me and what's not. So with that kind of mindset, the thought is, well, you know, Jay and Cherry paid this for this trip on this day.
Speaker 5: So even though the actual.
Speaker 4: Fair could be maybe lower, you know, wow, it's out there. So I mean the possibilities are endless.
Speaker 1: Oh without class where they could go.
Speaker 4: With this, And if they're going to base it on individuals, then what they're telling me is, Jay, we're going to look at your spending habbits, We're going to look at your tribal preferences. We're gonna blah blah blah blah blah, and that's the package you're going to be presented. No, I want to be able to look across the way and you know, see what's the best fare that I can give, schedule those types of things. But we all have different travel patterns and as a result, sometimes it's how you pay for your ticket, or how far in advance you make your reservation, or do you fly one way around trip More often than that, I mean, there's so many factors that go into you know, the the behind.
Speaker 5: The scenes.
Speaker 4: Logistics, if you will, of someone's travel. Yeah, habits that a lot of this stuff can be fed into this artificial intelligence that can better match me for what I'm looking for, which, sadly, I think my opinion could cause me sometimes to overpay for something I shouldn't well.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And I suppose ano the scenario you painted where they're using AI on an individual passenger basis, I could be sitting in the room right next to you on my computer, I have a different travel in an airline usage. I've paid less or more than you. I could plug the same flight, same day, departure, same flight, and end up with a higher price ticket than you, even though we're doing at the same time, in the same.
Speaker 5: Room, on the same flight, same day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeph wow.
Speaker 4: Which can also be the case because a lot of times people will contact me and said, Jay, you know, I found a flight to this country for this price.
Speaker 5: What do you think.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking, Oh, it's probably gone by now, because a lot of times those prices there might be three seats when you check availability, and it's there because you have last seat availability on most of the online systems you're using with the airline and yeah, there is only one seat left or two seats left or whatever, so it's grab it as you can. So I'm used to people paying different fares. What I'm not used to is the computer looking at me saying, here's Jay's travel history and matching something with that that may not be my best interest.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: You know, Delta again does a lot of things, right, They make a ton of money. They recently had some good news on earnings and some of their future outlook and things, and they're kind of the exception to the rule right now within the transportation field.
Speaker 5: So if Delta does this, look.
Speaker 4: For other airlines, Oh yeah, well a hamstring running in that direction to get there with.
Speaker 1: The dominoes fall. All right?
Speaker 2: For those who are flying today, what's it look like in terms of air traveling hub delays.
Speaker 4: We've had a good morning, which means if you catch that first light out in the morning, as I like to do, off to a good start. But a lot of the rain is headed towards Boston is going to give us issues, and of course the Gulf Coaster is getting soaked today. But from a hub standpoint, we should be okay. But those afternoon aggravating pop up thunderstorms could happen anywhere, which could cause some problems with Brian. All in all, it's going to be a pretty good day to fly, but a day of turbulence. If you are going to be flying nothing dangerous, just keep your seat belt about you so that you just don't kiss the ceiling when.
Speaker 5: You weren't expecting it.
Speaker 2: Amen to that day, Ralf. Thank you as always for your time with my listeners and me every Thursday. I look for to next Thursday and another discussion and between now and then, as always you and your better half that's the health and enjoy you the rest of your week.
Speaker 5: I'll keep up the good work, my friend.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thanks brother. Always a pleasure eight fifty five fifty five care Steve Talk Station. What a pleasure having Congressman Warren Davidson on the program. We talked about the Recisions package, We talked about Ukraine and giving them weapons. We talked about defense spending and is he behind Thomas Messey's effort to get the Epstein files out. Steve Gooden broke down the whole Biden pardon problem, multiple layers and issues with regard to that, but excellent analysis says always from our legal expert Steve Gooden, who is also running for Cincinni City Council as a charter right He got the endorsement of the Charter Committee and he's got some great ideas. Vote Steve Gooden will have him on to talk about that more between now and November, plus, of course my conversation with Jay Radler. Find it all at fifty five krec dot com and get your iHeart mediapp WI. You're over there so you can listen to all the content wherever you happen to be with your smart device. Joe Stracker, Executive producer, thank you for all that you do. Couldn't do it without you, my friend. Have a great day, and folks, I hope you have a great day as well. Don't go way. Glenn Beck is coming right up.
Speaker 1: News happens fast, Stay up to date at the top of the hour.
Speaker 5: We're moving very quickly.
Speaker 1: Fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 3: This re