Speaker 1: If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast. Do it now? How you doing out there? It's me Tigger, I am Doc Wayne Duck. It's me Bunkers Deep Bobcat. All right, y'all? Is it rate your favorite firefly you desire? Hold the old knock gud. My name is Jim Cummings and welcome to tuned In.
Speaker 2: All right, Welcome back, everybody to another episode of Tuned In with Jim Cummings. I am producer Chris, joined as always by the legend himself, mister Jim Cummings. How are you doing today, sir?
Speaker 1: Hello, Hello Chris. It's another day in.
Speaker 2: Paradise, another day indeed, and today we have a very special guest for you, Nadas and Jordan Reynolds. Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 2: I really appreciate honor to be here.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: What a great job. I hit the mic in the beginning.
Speaker 2: And I kicked the cameras at the same time you kicked the camera.
Speaker 3: It's all pretty good.
Speaker 1: Start all right, Okay, well I'll fall out of my chair in your honor and yeah saw me. Thanks for being here man, of course, my pleasure. Dude, you have a super big trip to get here, right.
Speaker 4: No, now, I'm close enough and I used to live actually in this part of town, so I didn't get entirely lost until they're like, turn down an alleyway.
Speaker 3: I'm like, that's just where you get the Yeah, yeah, yeah, Burbank.
Speaker 1: John is going, yeah, well you made it. Thank you for doing so.
Speaker 2: I made it.
Speaker 3: No, I wouldn't miss his day for the world.
Speaker 1: So well, good, good, good, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So yeah, where where shall we start? Well?
Speaker 2: I want to start. First of all, you have to start. I have to start with Marvel Rivals because I've been obsessed for like the past years playing it.
Speaker 3: I sure have.
Speaker 2: What do you mean, I guarantee you take a guess what kind of main do I look like?
Speaker 3: Tank? You're football player?
Speaker 2: You've done your research, all right, look at that. I feel under this spot like it.
Speaker 4: Took me a while because and it just brings up this other guy who I'm like, he kind of looks like that.
Speaker 3: Oh I see on the Gym's podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yep, yeah, you've found me out. I'm blessing you go so very first was Mantis, played by the wonderful colleing you O'Shaughnessy, who we actually had on the podcast as well.
Speaker 4: No way, I just met her at the l Capy Tan. There was a big Marvel Rivals Hollywood Boulevard event. It was crazy last week and I met her for the first time.
Speaker 2: You guys have such a talented cast.
Speaker 3: It's a kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah crazy. I mean, who else did we have who plays Iron Man? Am I dropping?
Speaker 3: Which he was great?
Speaker 2: He was on the podcast as well as playing some old names, right because I put it back on.
Speaker 4: You played the Hulk, I know, but my guess would have not been Mantis the.
Speaker 2: Freda sure fred at him on the podcast, and of course you play at Warlock brilliantly. It is I the I'm telling you your performance, your voice performance. It gives me chills every time I hear the I'm so great. I just want to commed you on your performance. Man, the voice acting in that game is incredible. It's it is.
Speaker 4: It's really you never know where anything is going to go, right, Like even with you do like an animated show or a game, and you're like, I'm.
Speaker 1: Done with and you have to do you have to do like five hundred Well in case they turn left, you have to do these four hundred lines, yes, but if they go straight, then you have these two hundred lines.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And if the rock falls and hits you on the left side of your head, you're I mean, wow, yeah, what can you can you have?
Speaker 4: Can you do a pained effort out of the left side of your groin?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: One game efforts. It's a thing. It's a thing.
Speaker 1: I could I could hear the shifting of the gonet. That was really good. It's my dad, you've done that before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a few times.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 2: Did you guys go to record together at all?
Speaker 3: Never ever? Ever in gaming except it's like what your the work your dad does?
Speaker 4: Right, Like if you're on a performance capture stage and you put on the gear and all that, then you have to do this hard thing called memorizing lines, which is not what I gotten a voiceover for But it's right, that's where some of these games head is for the on camera territory skill set. But no, that's the only time you're ever going to be with a cast made in video games, and it's I wish I've never got to experience a cast recording.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 4: You know my wife, Maria Juno, she's a voice actor. She's Storm in the game, amongst many other epic gaming characters. But she, I think, did you I'm going to feel like an ass if you weren't on the show, But I think maybe we're youna curious George ever, Oh yeah, okay, I think she did a cast record maybe before.
Speaker 3: COVID, before COVID dimes.
Speaker 4: You were there was a cast record, and Frank Welker was there. You were there, and if you hadnt, Jeff may have been there, and she was freaking out inside. She's just like, yeah, you know, because you were so horrible to her.
Speaker 1: That's kidd That sounds about right, oh her? Oh yeah, like nervy, pushy.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, for like ten autographs we gave her.
Speaker 1: Hell absolutely no, no.
Speaker 4: But that's the only time she's done like cast records other than performance capture. So I really, I've done a lot of improv. You know, I come from Denver's where I built my career and voice acting, where there's no character work there.
Speaker 3: It's all commercials and stuff.
Speaker 4: But I use a thing called the Internet to build a career, and I wanted to do better, have voice acting and just but you know, with maybe aspirations to one day do some character like stuff that I didn't get a whole lot of access to living in Denver, and so I did a lot of improv. So I'm used to having that, like feeding off of the other person. That's great acting acting is reacting. Yeah, and you don't get that in gaming at all, So no, you don't. It's in my opinion, that makes it more difficult because you're just.
Speaker 1: Agree Yeah, I agree. We've talked about it before. You're you're flying solo, you have to you're using your imagination anyway, even if you get a room full of people with you. But boy, when you're just there and I mean, and then then it's the tedious stuff like Okay, now you're falling, well it's only ten feet, Okay, now that this time you're falling about thirty five and a half feet. Yeah, the half matters, okay, and you know, and then you know, now you're falling from the third moon of Jupiter. Okay, that's a long fall. Yes, that means the rough one. So you know you save those for the end of the session.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that most of the time they do.
Speaker 4: Actually, have you ever had to call a session because you're like any anything, whether it's animation, gaming, your throat is so shredded and they can't quite hear that, or they're like, before you do some permanent damage.
Speaker 1: One, no, not not because of damage, but I can remember and and it luckily, it happened very very early in my career. And I might have said this before, but I just I had a cold. And I used to I mean, I used to work in a steel mill, I used to work on riverboats, and and uh, you know, so I have a very blue collar work ethic toward a no collar Career's just just the way it is. Yeah, and uh, and you know, I was sick, and I kind of sounded like I had a cold, but I thought to myself, well, no I don't really, but yeah I did. And uh, And like I said, I just had this attitude, no gotta get up, got to shut up, go to work, and I gargle with salt water, went in and it was the third time I was ever winning to put and at this point it's like a thousand times or more and more. Yeah, But then it was it was brand new, untrottered territory, and I'm just thinking to myself, well, God, I don't I can't let them down. I can't, you know, blah blah blah. I'll just soldier through. And so I got a bunch of recoiler cough drops, put him in a bottle of water and shook it up until it looked like, you know, swamp water, and drank it and sipped it and kind of gargled my way through it. And then a year or so later, when it came on, I could hear the cold, and it was you know, and I think I was tiggering that show too, So it was weird. You know, here's Owl, here's Rabbit, here's really you know, all the Christopher, Robin and then Pooh and Tigger both had a cold.
Speaker 3: Could anyone hear it?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Could you hear when you heard it?
Speaker 1: I could? Yeah, yeah I could. And of course I'm sure I was exaggerating in my head, but that's all I could hear. You know, it's like everybody's going to sit there and go, wow, he should have stayed home, you know, wow, he really just doesn't respect us at all.
Speaker 3: I mean those are different times, pre COVID and all that, right.
Speaker 1: Oh, very pre Yeah, this is the eighties, yeah, eighty five.
Speaker 4: Where I feel like you just see, like we were just watching I think it was Adventures and babysitting, you know, during how crazy crazy the world is right now, we all want to escape. And it's one of my wife's favorite movies, and so we put it as a cute It's just a great wholesome movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But there was a scene where I think some girl I think it was this movie, but some eighties movie, where someone comes over to help babysit a really sick toddler for you know, they're like six or something. I think the adorable girl who has the thor helmet. I think she has a cold or something, and they just no one cares. They're just like around They're like, oh, here you go, you want to hang out, like they're just around them, Whereas nowadays, especially as a voice act.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So but now that's good because I you power through, which I've done with many sessions, but I've only had to call one, and I was terrified because it was my first. I won't say it, but it's one of my first games, like a big game. The role was incredibly unimportant.
Speaker 1: It was just like watch Out, watch Out, and I love that guy. Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is he great?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I signed so many autographs, right, yeah, watch Out.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not kidding. The script was they and they apologize.
Speaker 4: They were really professional, but I just think they were a bit newer to the voice acting directing side of things.
Speaker 3: They were used to on camera.
Speaker 4: Stuff, so I think they weren't as familiar with how much you can't push this instrument, and so we did. We were forty five minutes in and I'd been screening what I just did. There was a six out of ten. I was doing ten out of ten, you know, oh you know, if I swing.
Speaker 3: This out, it was you know what?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Right, so do that for forty five I'm watching it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, So hopefully you don't get the cops called it's it's a podcast studio, but I did. But they kept varying it, so'd be like watch Out Grenade and I'm not crapping you. It was the next line of the grenade Comma watch Out, and I.
Speaker 1: Was just like, this is this the final script?
Speaker 3: Or you guys are just and they were.
Speaker 4: They were actually like, wait, isn't it supposed to be? So I was really feeling it, but I was newer in my career. I just moved to LA. I was like, maybe here for a year. Was like twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen. I was absolutely terrified to even bring it up because again, like you said, I come, I come a very hard work like my dad is stilled hard working to me, like you get the job done. And I, you know, privately just talked to the director. I'm like, I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be a diva. I'm like, if I keep going at this rate, I'm afraid I could possibly do permanent damage. But more not more importantly, but and also i won't be able to work the rest of this week.
Speaker 3: And I've got like.
Speaker 4: Four auditions for the QUARTERO I get I have a commercial tomorrow, you know. So they were so polite and they called it off and then they got the script more organized when I.
Speaker 3: Came back a week later, and they didn't.
Speaker 4: Push me as hard you know, so, but I so, you know, to anyone trying to get in the business right like you need to You don't need to be like, no, I need to break every five minutes. You can't get away with that, No, but you can. You can ask questions. You can, and all of us actor creative types are really eager and eager to please, especially in the beginning. Oh, so I encourage people to, like, no, ask a question if you don't know what the hell's going on in the scene, and especially if they're mechanical things going on where you feel like they're pushing you and you need to break, ask if you can have a break, or or if it's got as bad as I got, you have to call the session, and you know most people will respect that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's just a fascinating part that you know, I know you mentioned it often on the podcast. It's the un sexy party games. Yeah, the throat ripping, shredding stuff, the.
Speaker 1: Un sexy part because everything else is pretty darn sexy.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: We like every time we go to our session, Jim and I, we we put on our thongs and you know, our coconut.
Speaker 1: It's coming back to right now. Yeah, I remember that that, oh man, oh man, who the fuck it that like years ago that you would be the king of this whole groove here with the.
Speaker 2: King of what well video?
Speaker 1: I mean, they weren't even there games like that. I remember, like Pong. Yes, when I was you know, et your sketch was knocked me out. Now we've got a universes. I mean, you've got that. It's like you're in in who are you? You're an avenger, aren't you? What? What do you mean?
Speaker 3: You're an adventer?
Speaker 4: And what he's talking about as an avenger?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, as an adventure Yeah.
Speaker 4: So actually I think it was Frank Welker that does the beeps and boops in Pong. It's probably him, probably, I mean, what doesn't doesn't he done?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've we've talked about him a lot. Yeah. One of my favorites was Spock's scream in the Wrath of khn No No, Kirk scream in Wrath of Khan.
Speaker 3: I don't, I haven't. I've seen clips. I think I've seen. It's like a meme.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Williams. Has william been on here?
Speaker 1: Not yet?
Speaker 2: Oh man. I saw him the other day though. Yeah, the Saturn Awards the other day.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's crazy.
Speaker 4: Everything all my social media feed this week has been like Saturn Awards. Yeah, oh yeah, I guess I'll see him on their next Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was a good time. It was a good time. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And if you scroll right to the end, you might see me.
Speaker 2: Yeah presenting.
Speaker 1: Oh cool? Present?
Speaker 3: Would you what awards you present? If you remember?
Speaker 1: Special effects?
Speaker 3: Oh? Sweet?
Speaker 2: And guess who won?
Speaker 3: H I l am, I don't know what person you it's a movie.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, I won Best Specialistffects.
Speaker 3: I thought you were like effects from what I heard.
Speaker 2: I like what I do with the hitting record on these cameras.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know, me said.
Speaker 2: You've worked on it's got the recording logo up on the TV. That's a Saturn Award right there.
Speaker 3: I cly thought something I can't avoid.
Speaker 2: No, it was Avatar, Fire and Ash for special effects. Yeah, James Cameron won like I think, like six awards that night.
Speaker 3: It was insane.
Speaker 4: I mean, you don't that much money to a movie and then take twenty years to make it.
Speaker 3: You'd hope you can get some damn.
Speaker 2: But it's interesting too, like back to kind of like video games. I mean he talked about you know, the method of filming Avatar is kind of similar to the motion capture that a lot of video games use these days. You know, they don't even use like a physical camera. It's like it's like a little iPad looking thing and it like triangulates where a camera would be, so they can move it all around in a virtual space, you know, like like the void. You know, like how they do that motion capture. Have you done anything motion capture? You seem very familiar with it.
Speaker 4: I'm familiar just because I have so many friends and people who've done it. I have done a few classes, but the most I've done is facial capture. So they literally put a whole helmet on and there's like a camera on a pole, there's lights in your face. So I did it for Batman Arkham, the one that came out the VR QUD No, not that that's what it's called, but it's like there's all these Arkham there's like five different Arkham games, but it's the latest one that came out on the meta VR headset last year or two years ago. So Maro actually plays essentially the lady who helps raise Batman. Bruce Wayne and Harvey Dent as kids in a way, and then I play like, I play.
Speaker 1: This I play this guy named bird Like and there's this camera.
Speaker 3: I could barely see the script because there's lights in my face.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, can you turn up the brightness on the TV because there's so many bright lights in my face to capture you know, my my facial and lips performance.
Speaker 3: And then they put that on the character.
Speaker 2: You know, you have to do that for Hondo. Yeah, face it was just face, my face.
Speaker 3: It's better just have face.
Speaker 2: It was for the Star Wars Outlaws Outlaws.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, video game or whatever it was, Yeah, some kind of yeah, unbelievable. Yeah. The stuff that that goes on now is like, do.
Speaker 2: You feel like that because you have you know, that's a fairly new thing. Do you feel like that interrupts your performance or is that a challenge to act around or is it just something that you have to deal with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not crazy about it. Yeah, you know, it's not I'd rather first of all, I'd rather not have that for cocta thing on my head that that's for sure. But I mean, but but I mean, you look at I got nothing to complain about, like, look at your dad all the stuff he had to go through for forgot war. You know, got a war. I was like, cray, you actually had war.
Speaker 3: War with all the equipment all over your body.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, it's a lot. It's a totally different form. Yeah, I just want to sit in a room with a microphone. Thank you.
Speaker 4: It's uh, that's a little easier memorization.
Speaker 1: Just go in right.
Speaker 3: But that's actually one thing.
Speaker 4: How do you feel, Jim from doing you know, you're one of the kings of animation and having done a lot of games though too, and and in at least in my experience with games, you rarely get the script beforehand.
Speaker 3: You just it's all cold reading.
Speaker 4: We go, yeah, cold read an animation you get you tend to get the script at least a day before days.
Speaker 3: It is usually pretty cold.
Speaker 1: No, just a lot of times. I mean mostly it's the first time I read it. I'm on a mic microphone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Is that by choice kind of yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you can always do take two, Yeah, but you can never do take one the way you might have done it had you read it like the day before. There's nothing wrong with being familiar with the character. But line by line, I just prefer, you know, to go off instincts. You know. That's kind of the way I've just always done it. And that's harder and harder to do now because it's all on an etrascale, an iPad or something, you know. And they used to. It's funny because a friend of mine, Dave Wright, who's like head of everything now over at Disney, he used to be the guy twenty five years ago, thirty years ago. He would be the guy who would drive out and I always lived out in like Ventura County or Westlake Village, somewhere Santa Rosa Valley, and he'd come. I remember once it was. And if he's ever on the podcast, and you will be, Dave. So there it was the fourth of July and and and my doorbell rings, and I wouldn't have even heard it because we're all out in the back. But I just went and been there and I go, what the hell are you doing here? He goes, I'm bringing you your script. And I go, I'm not going to read it. He goes, what do you mean. I go, I'm not going to read it, but you brought it, so come on in and have a chicken wing you know, you know that's wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and delivering the script. Times have changed.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that reminds me of this one scene in what was that movie Entourage? Oh and Jeremy Pivens's character, I forget what the character his name. Anyway, they go to a comedy show and he accidentally switches briefcases with this guy and has a script that he has to read by the next day, and he like tracks it down and he's it's ends up in Oxnard, and he's like, Oxnard, the fuck.
Speaker 4: Is every time I hear Actually, it's the first time I've ever been there. I just drove there last weekend to pick up I'm ripped up all the carpet in my studio. No, I drove ox Starn't to pick up a script. Yeah, they make us work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you really earn these.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know they're like, oh, gas is going up, We'll go pick up your script.
Speaker 3: We don't care, Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Maybe.
Speaker 3: No, I went to go pick.
Speaker 4: Up flooring, putting new flooring in my studio like an old carpet, and it was cozy and squishy, but it was disgusting to look at. So uh But yeah, I'm like, we're I've heard what ox not what and I drove over there, and so it's kind of funny you bring up oxnar pretty I'm now familiar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's that.
Speaker 4: Where it was, It's where the wood was in stock So you.
Speaker 2: Know what made you want to get into voiceover?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: And when did you know?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: It's it was kind of like a slow trickle for me where you know, being raised in Colorado, I'm not exposed to anything entertainment business wise at all than just watching TV. And we didn't even have you know, we're low income and on a good year, you know, middle class, lots of kids, and my dad had his own carpet cleaning business and my mom was essentially the full time assistant doing home and calls and you know, so it was it was hard work for my parents to they worked their butt off so.
Speaker 3: We we couldn't afford.
Speaker 1: Was that my too? Yeah, we used to dream of being lower class. Definitely, we were just poperday stricken. People would love on us more.
Speaker 4: But what the point I was making with that is we didn't have cable TV. So while all my friends, you know and the nineties and stuff were having cable I would I would go next door to watch Nickelodeon and all the shows that weren't on just the four channels we got with ore like TV, so I didn't get to see a lot unless I went somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Did you have the aluminum oil on the raviad ears no actual foil? But I definitely mess with the because we okay, because we had that and I thought it was brilliant at it. Okay, now, nobody move and we'll see the because I'm watching Captain Kangaroo here.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's kind of like it's sounded kind of like the Dad and Christmas story, like like you know, goes.
Speaker 3: Black, nobody move, a fuse is out.
Speaker 4: Yes, but the purpose of the Dad wanting to fix everything. I love that character. But yeah, anyways, yeah, my voice everything, I you know, I just consumed at the shows that I watched the most were like Animaniacs with my mom. It was like Frasier and Animaniacs, two.
Speaker 1: Completely different shows.
Speaker 3: But that's when my mom and I bonded over. Mister Bean. Add that to the list because PBS, it's great Rowan Edkinson Atkinson the parrot and it's not a damn parrot. What is he in the line? Kid?
Speaker 1: Was uh the con Yes, that show, but I don't know that he was can.
Speaker 2: Wasn't he a two can?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: It was you're thinking of the fruit loops? Yeah, the fruit loops guy are like the same bird?
Speaker 1: No, no, come on, this is live. Call us right now and.
Speaker 2: Tell us what kind of bird is? I need to know when I thought he was a two ken this whole time.
Speaker 4: He's like more plain color, gosh right, whereas more colors.
Speaker 2: You know, this is the most extensive bird knowledge.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: You don't edit this out because it's it's it's vital.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everybody's sitting at home going he's a macaw's either or what a vulture? You know. I don't know what he.
Speaker 2: Is throwing tomatoes at, that's for sure. No, he's not a flamingo or an eagle. I know those ones.
Speaker 1: No, it's not a flaming. Oh that's okay.
Speaker 3: Well, god, you know what my sister would know. She's actually really into birds.
Speaker 4: So you know, I might have to call phone a friend, you know, the weakest link. But anyways, on the cartoon stuff, you know, I mostly I watched a lot of stuff on repeat because we didn't we would record Simpsons episodes and Animaniacs episodes.
Speaker 1: And then we vhs. Yes, there you go.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm old enough.
Speaker 1: Remember.
Speaker 4: I feel like on streaming services, by the way, it used to be able to, like if you have an Apple TV, you could just kind of swipe through like quickly, like digitally, And I feel like, do you feel like these apps now?
Speaker 3: It's like they're very clunky.
Speaker 4: It's all slow now, like a VCR, like you tap on it and you see it going like ten seconds, ten seconds.
Speaker 2: I don't want to go back to the VCR.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anyways, add but watched a lot of the stuff and it heard you dark Wing Duck. I didn't get to see much of Winnie the Poop.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Why, just some for somebody say in the household.
Speaker 3: I know, so you're the one that I leave.
Speaker 1: You're the worst.
Speaker 4: But I didn't have like a lot of Winnie the Pooh exposure for whatever reason. But anyways, point being is just the cartoon stuff I love. But I never was like, you know, like you said you're a five, You're like you knew you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah I didn't.
Speaker 1: Or you didn't know I did one did the bug whatever it is.
Speaker 4: It was really was kind of playing around with voices. I had older sisters and they would I would just impersonate various Simpsons characters sloppily, and I just liked making them laugh. You know, any who doesn't like making someone laugh. It's very because it's disarming. It's like the most vulnerable point you could be. I feel is laughing in my opinion. And when I was the second youngest of six, so I kind of like it wasn't lost in this stuff, but like it was, well.
Speaker 1: That's good. Yeah, but like you got to you got to learn how to tap dance, come home. Yeah, keep them from killing you because you're you're the youngest.
Speaker 3: I was really lucky though.
Speaker 4: Actually I didn't get the whole like you know, older sibling bully treatment.
Speaker 3: They were very good kind to me. I don't know because I tap dance enough. But yeah, but I would do.
Speaker 4: I just got the bug of like, oh this is I like making them laugh and they I was in the The Magic Flute Opera in like fifth grade.
Speaker 3: You know whatever it means.
Speaker 4: Iway was literally had one line as someone I don't remember what I'm like. Some would think something come down to the whatever and watch a great yeah role of the Century.
Speaker 1: Yes, it wasn't it. It was a tree, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: It was a tree with huge lips on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's mine.
Speaker 3: And but but I was in.
Speaker 4: The rehearsals all the time, so I'd hear all the songs. And you know that I can't hit anymore, but when I was a choir boy age, you know the song like, I'm hitting the notes pretty poorly. But it's a very hard song to sing. It's sung in the Amideis film, if you remember that, my favorite film of all time. Yes, there's a part where she's kind of warming up singing it, and it's a hard ass song.
Speaker 3: I sing it like the lyrics very well.
Speaker 1: Remember that that's not bad.
Speaker 4: I can't retain lyrics at all. So it was the perfect song for me. It is that, yeah, And so I would sing it and my sisters would laugh at me. And I first thought they were laughing like at me, Oh, you sound so stupid or ridiculous, right, And I'm like still laughing at me, and they're like, no, we're laughing because it's so like spot on, Like you sound like you sound like the late you know, as a kid put your voice. I was like, oh, okay, so kind of that little taste of that little entertainment thing. But I was very quite shy as a kid. When my parents they're like, oh, yeah, like, what's Jordan doing.
Speaker 1: So many actors are shy as children?
Speaker 3: Really were you?
Speaker 1: Kind of?
Speaker 4: Yeah at first, okay, because you said you did a lot of like theater and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I but but nevertheless, like I would be shy at first, and then you couldn't shut me up, so I went.
Speaker 2: On, you went to the other Yeah, oh you mean you.
Speaker 4: You eventually shifted to yeah mouth, Yeah, I think so. Yeah, well that paid off good. Yeah, you have to learn how to at least do this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My joke is that I'm actually a failed mime. You know, right, Jim, we can hear you. You're you're not You're not crooked, You're you're stuck. You know.
Speaker 3: That's wild. But yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 4: I was actually shy enough or just not confident enough that I didn't do any acting things anything. In junior high high school. The most I did performative wise was I was just in the the advanced dish choir. I got we were like in all state choir in junior high, but I never did the solos. I didn't try out for the solos. Well, sorry, I take that.
Speaker 3: Back.
Speaker 4: In elementary school, I was the tin man that totally forgot. I was a tin man and the Wizard of Oz. So a man's see I camera lyrics.
Speaker 3: Kettle from on his metal and now no more.
Speaker 4: Hearts are gonna destroy me in the comments. I'm sorry, But so that was. I like that, but clearly not enough to pursue it once you hit puberty. Because when you hit puberty, everything is serious and you think everything's out to get you and you have no confidence.
Speaker 3: So I think I just kind of.
Speaker 4: You get And I had many Yeah, I had a bad acne problem, so you know, the typical teenage stuff, and so yeah, I was.
Speaker 3: I didn't have that, like I gotta I gotta perform and moved to Hollywood.
Speaker 4: That wasn't me, but I did joke. I loved music. I liked singing in choir enough like where it was interesting. It got a creative bug at me. Couldn't reach sheet music to save my life. So my acchoir teacher, she was so sweet. Missus missus Shipley if you ever ever see this interview.
Speaker 1: She's a huge fan.
Speaker 3: But seriously, she was so sweet.
Speaker 4: And patient with me because she would do the tests where at the end of the semester you have to be written, you know, like what is this note and all?
Speaker 1: And I would fail all of that, right.
Speaker 4: Like all my other classes, like algebra and everything, I did horrible and absolutely horrible. Yeah, but choir I would try to at least get the B minus or so sure, yeah, right, and so the test I would fail that written test. And then she there was the ear test, which I would always play, like Simon says, like play twelve notes and then I would play it, you.
Speaker 1: Know, la la la la la la la la la la la.
Speaker 3: And so my.
Speaker 4: Ability to hit the notes and have a good ear was there, and she was kind enough to be like.
Speaker 3: He's a little talented.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah right, and so but anyways, I don't know where I'm going with this other than like where'd I get the whole voiceover thing?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: Those were just kind of a little play you put it all together.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I would also impersonate teachers, so oh yeah, me too. Yeah, which do you remember teacher impressions?
Speaker 1: Well, I remember thinking that well, and I've said this before. I don't want to be redundant, but if you do a bad impression of somebody famous, yeah, nobody knows who it is, that's a new character. If you do a perfect impression of somebody like your teacher who nobody even heard of, that's a new character.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know you can put those it's everything. You can use.
Speaker 4: Everything, absolutely, and people will never know unless you tell, and they'll never know.
Speaker 1: Just it, that's right.
Speaker 2: But I didn't even realize, like, like you just said, I didn't even realize that Winnie the Pooh and the Chasure Cat were so close together. Oh, until Jim told me. He was like, yeah, it's kind of just like, how do you describe it?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, cat was winning the Poo on acid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how close those voices are.
Speaker 1: And Ca the snake from Jungle Book, the original Jungle Book that was also Sterling Holloway, God rest his soul, and he was evil Pooh trust sting me. Oh my god. Yeah, that's and you know these characters hypnotizing Moldly and then eating him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the that's the best scene in the movie. That's I think that's my favorite scene in the whole movie too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really like it.
Speaker 4: Funny, Like, there's just so much you could take you could watch it on mute, you could just listen to it.
Speaker 1: Then you it's and I got to play that role years later, many many, like like twenty years had gone by and they decided on video they were going to make Jungle Book two, and uh Ka was in there, and so I got to be kaw No. They just kind of hird me because it's right though, yeah, well it is. It's see. Sterling really didn't have uh back in the day. I mean character actors like below that was just Phil Harris talking.
Speaker 2: You do it very little bridges.
Speaker 1: You know, everything's a bit of a strain there.
Speaker 3: You know, like for each each line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but and you know a lot of those like John Fiedler the Great he was Piglet. That was him talking.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, I just enough.
Speaker 1: That was his big line. And uh And then like I said, Sterling all the way, he's the one. If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned in Family Today at Patreon dot com, Slash Jim Cummings podcast, Do It Now. I've told the story before. I was down in Laguna Beach many many, many many years ago, way before I was even in the business, and I heard this. You couldn't see who was in the booths, but I thought I was the only person in the restaurant. And waitress walks over and says, do you have any decision? Have you come to? What would you like for lunch? Apparently he's been sitting there for a while, and you hear this little voice, Yes, I believe I shall have the choulder. And I was like, going, wait, the pool, and there he was. I went and I looked back and there was Sterling and he's probably about in his nineties and had all this big shock of haystack of white hair sitting there looking at me like that, and I wish I went up to him.
Speaker 3: Oh wait, have you ever met him? No, that was your opportunity, wastunity. Oh winchell.
Speaker 1: I knew he was a friend of mine, God rest is so he's a legend. Yeah, he was great and uh yeah, And I had a lot of a lot of interaction with Paul. He was a good guy. That's so cool.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's it's weird being able to meet especially like for you to like voices you have literally inherited, you know, if you ever get that opportunity to meet the first person to do that.
Speaker 1: Wow. But never got to meet David Crockett though, damn it.
Speaker 3: Someday someday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but oh.
Speaker 3: God, oh go ahead, Oh no, I was no.
Speaker 4: I was trying to stay on track if you wanted, in terms of the because I never really concluded.
Speaker 3: The whole How did I.
Speaker 1: Get in a voice?
Speaker 3: Thing?
Speaker 2: Did it was?
Speaker 1: It was?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Was that it was a Ford fair Lane?
Speaker 3: Yes, oh yeah, Ford, I wish that's a cool car.
Speaker 4: But no, it was just like I had little hints of just like that creativity where.
Speaker 6: Mister Sperry is who I would impersonate to the class if he would, I think, if he was ready late he he, I would you know, kind of be like, all right, class, the word of the day is tune in exclamation, you know, and so it would make a class laugh.
Speaker 3: Because I was not popular.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so any anything to feel popular for about ten seconds I would attempted, and it worked half the time. So so you know those little things where it was like, oh, this is fun and.
Speaker 1: You were doing research for your future unintentionally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then when did you decide to make it a career.
Speaker 4: It was it was just a slow effect where you know, in my early twenties, people I would I worked at Dish Network tech support, the five thirty am to two thirty am shift.
Speaker 3: Which voices on the phone.
Speaker 1: No I went in, I may no, I didn't.
Speaker 4: Do voices, but but what would happen is, uh, it was always like very elderly lady in particular, it would be they just can't sleep, so they'd be calling in at like one in the morning to get their Addish network fixed, and so I'd help them troubleshoot, you know, I'm plug this, do that, and always to get like their Golden Girls fixed or something. And I didn't, by the way, I didn't appreciate how good. I thought that show was lame for.
Speaker 3: Old ladies, right until like this past.
Speaker 4: Five ten years, Like this show is rellily that shows of all time, the best actors of all time. Yeah, I adore so I'm a full Golden Girls confer by the way, But back then, I'm like it's.
Speaker 3: Just this old lady show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, anyway, that's true.
Speaker 3: Oh I adore them so much.
Speaker 1: I think that show is My wife's crazy about them.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So anyways, these old Ladies in particular is mostly them. And I would be like, is there anything else I can help you with today? Man, you're all sorted out, and it's.
Speaker 1: Like, oh no, but you have shuts a nice voice. Maybe maybe you should get into radio.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, oh wow, maybe maybe I should. I was.
Speaker 4: It just gave me a little like oh thanks, because I felt, you know, what's the funnest job.
Speaker 3: I didn't feel.
Speaker 1: I wasn't like ashamed, but I also wasn't proud of it was just a job.
Speaker 3: And so it gave me.
Speaker 4: It was like okay, noted, and that kept happening, and other people in maybe friend circles would just say something like you have a nice voice. So that led me to take classes or getting your voice is very radio esque to me, Like that I've done. I literally thought that zero radio. You never doubt, and thank god I didn't, because all I hear horror stories like horrible pay, horrible job conditions, underappreciated. It's fun and that's what keeps these DJs there. My wife was an FM radio DJ on three stations at the same time.
Speaker 3: Literally oh wow, the same like one day and does she.
Speaker 1: Say hello out there that gallon.
Speaker 3: No, not like the jazz lady.
Speaker 4: She was more she had awaken bake show, it is what it was called, but they weren't actually you know, it was just called like, yeah, it was a talk show in the morning, like kind of like breakfast club right where it's just like very personality driven. And then she was also like a more polished I think it was like at least a logan on a country station.
Speaker 3: So she didn't like completely shift her voices. But I've heard the horror stories of Ratio, so I'm like not going to go that way, no, thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And so I took classes and read books, and this is the days of like MySpace and stuff. So I was finding voice actors, but not like big names like you. People like you weren't really accessible. So I was connecting with people that were like living in Ohio and they're making six figures doing just commercials and training videos and phone like thank you for calling. I'm like, what you can make a you know, in volume, you can make money doing that. So that's what got me interested doing using my voice, and it's really fun. It's some of it's boring, but it's more creative than working a regular job and a cubicle underfloor my life.
Speaker 3: So it was a long burn.
Speaker 4: I just I consumed everything. I absorbed it, but I didn't do with it for years.
Speaker 3: Right, It's very easy.
Speaker 4: Anyone wants to become a painter a biker voice actor, It's very easy to go up to your table and ask Jim, how do I get in voiceover? And you can give them everything that's to be perfect for them, and you know their age and in this generation, and it's very rare anyone's going to follow that because the doing part is the hardest part and we're all guilty of it. So eventually I got I you know, all right, jo, when you actually want to make money at this, like or do you want to keep I had a very comfortable it job, so I used to build computers and stuff like that, so I didn't go to the college thing. I'm like, yeah, failed high school, I had to take a fifth year. I'm not going to pay money to you know, fail again, So I pay for the college part. Let me just get a job, and then I got a pretty nice it job from just my nerd knowledge.
Speaker 1: But I'm like, I don't know if i want to do this my whole life.
Speaker 3: I'm too creative.
Speaker 4: I just like I get more joy when I'm in these improv classes when I'm making people laugh. So it was just more and I'm like, the idea that I could make money and pay all my bills and not just be this little side hobby thing was very appealing and satisfying.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so long story longer. Yeah, I took enough classes.
Speaker 4: And and then built you know, did everything online.
Speaker 3: Just everything was online.
Speaker 4: Voice one two three was the main website I used to just you just you pay four hundred bucks at the time a year. You get access to audition for anything that goes up. So I booked radio commercials, training videos, so you.
Speaker 1: Get one gig out of it and you paid for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, exactly, And it was I think the first one was four hundred bucks. So so and you build your own clients and then you eventually can get an agent.
Speaker 1: So it was the more of your agency.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's in Colorado, you know, like because I built my career in Colorado, and my wife Mary and Denver Metro was Golden and then in my adulthood it was like, you know, Broomfield was North Denver, so Denver area, and my wife Mary built her career in Louisiana.
Speaker 3: And you're from Louisiana, right.
Speaker 1: Well, been a long long time there. Yeah, she was moved there out of high school in Homa.
Speaker 3: Have you heard of Homa?
Speaker 1: Played there many times?
Speaker 3: Oh really?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You played drums, right, drums and sing?
Speaker 3: Okay, like at the same time.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, wow, but actually the band, well, I was in a couple of bands in New Orleans. But the one band that I was in that I actually didn't have to have another job in the only one was a band Infusion, and I was just the singer. So I played tambourine. I was lead tambourine.
Speaker 3: You played, but you.
Speaker 4: Played it all like sexy like Robert Plan you know, Oh right, that was you.
Speaker 3: You're like that was understudy. Yes, it doesn't. He sometimes have a tambourine during his moments when the guitar.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't think so, No, I don't think he doesn't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, all right, maybe there's some rock band.
Speaker 1: Nets that that's the Yeah, whatever, that however, that's how it goes. Yeah that was him. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's good.
Speaker 2: And I'm just so hard to believe that you were bad in school. You might be the most researched guess we've ever had.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, you don't even I could drop all the research we've had.
Speaker 2: People to show up and they didn't even know it was on camera.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, you know what, that might just be driven from my the deep shame I had from being such a horrific student, you know, like because it's embarrassing, right, Like you have never bothered me, Really you weren't, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I mean I kind out. I only I felt bad about it because my parents made me feel bad.
Speaker 2: About it, as they should for you.
Speaker 1: And I stupidly, you know, I went to a Catholic school all twelve twelve years, and and I I made them. In fact, there was a movie Peggy Sue Peggy Peggy Sue got married. I think Kathleen Turner was that a long time ago, And and she went back to her high school and uh, some kind of a f back I forget the premise, but she suddenly woke up and she was sixteen again, and her parents were there and she was late for school, and so she just kind of went with it, but she was in but having come from the future, she told the teacher. And I was the only idiot in the theater that laughed at this. She goes, she said, well, actually, you know no, mister Taylor, I happened to know for a fact that I will never ever, ever ever do one algebra problem once I leave this room.
Speaker 3: That's the truth.
Speaker 1: I will never ever ever. And I laughed like hell because I actually made the mistake of telling that to the sister Ellen Rose, who was the algebra nun. And she said, and I said, I am shooting for the lowest D minus that you have because I just want to pass. I only want to pass. I promise you I will never ever again. And this is way before cell phones with computers and then calculators, so you know, And I said, I know, I won't. You know, I don't know why anyone.
Speaker 3: Does now, God bless them seriously.
Speaker 1: And so she said, oh, okay, good, Uh huh lois du Yeah, well it's called an.
Speaker 3: F O.
Speaker 1: Iron like, yeah, I failed, and then I took it in uh summer school failed. Yeah, it was My parents were like what wait, what are we going to do with this kid? Jesus. Yeah, yes, I see some work boots in your future, mister. Somebody's going to be looking good in that helmet. Here, take these sunglasses. You're going to be looking at molten steel. So and I did that too, how long? Di Well? I quote unquote worked there for a year. But back then it was like you work six months, then you go on strike or they laid you off. It was called laid off. Yeah, and then you collect unemployment for six months.
Speaker 3: That's just what you do.
Speaker 1: It's just what you do. Wow.
Speaker 2: They're probably like circumnavigating some kind of labor laws. Sorry, yeah, oh yeah, we've employed you for this long then we have to do X y Z. But if you just go on unemployment then yeah, way.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah yeah man, I should have done that with a.
Speaker 3: I had a three three month.
Speaker 4: Job at best Buy when I was I think I was eighteen, and I was very proud of myself because it was before it's called geek squad.
Speaker 3: So it's called right now.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it used to be called the tech benches, like right before they called it the geek squad, but same look or no ties, thank god. But it was just a blackpool of shirt. And I interviewed and I got it for the as a seasonal job, right, so it's just during the busy holiday season.
Speaker 3: Women's buying all the game. It's for the holidays.
Speaker 4: And so I was building computers, repairing computers, up selling. You know, Oh, you have this computer that all is a junk on it? Want me to clean it off for a hundred bucks, you know, wow, and.
Speaker 1: Sit there and delete. Yeah, take a hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: I mean I didn't get to keep any of that. That all goes, you know.
Speaker 4: But my point to that was, oh, after, I was devastated when they let me go because they said it was look, there's a possibility, easy possibility, you're gonna have to be let go. But it was the first like job that I had that wasn't cleaning carpets, which is with my dad and I adore my dad. But that's hard work. You know, that's some hard work clean carpets.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was like, yeah, it's there's harder jobs like pre pavement, but carpet cleaning it's you know, it's labor intensive, it's hot, the machines are loud and just blowing off heat.
Speaker 3: It's it's A, it's a it's a rougher job.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, I'm doing something I actually love, building computers, talking to people, and they let me go, and I like, I think I sobbed when I went back into my car. I was like, oh, so I should have done the unempoyment thing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, yeah, the secret.
Speaker 3: But do you do these conventions?
Speaker 2: Do you do comic conventions?
Speaker 4: I just started last because of the Marvel Rivals game, so I've done I've been in about one hundred games at this point, but there just has been when yeah, and some some prominent in.
Speaker 2: Adam Warlock is like the voice you're most known for. Absolutely yeah.
Speaker 4: But what's cool, though, is there's other smaller roles and anime shows like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Seven Deadly Sins. I'm I'm Ludo c l and Seven Deadly Sins and Archangel and uh and some other side more nuanced characters from other types of like YouTube things.
Speaker 3: And I didn't.
Speaker 4: Know there was any fandom for it until you know, this Adam Warlock character in Marvel Rivals got the clout for conventions to want to even bring me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then people walk up to the table and they're like, oh wait, oh wait, you're the wait you're in Pokemon.
Speaker 4: You're that guy, right, And I'm like, you care about the like you even know they exist because no one I've never had anyone tweet at me or DM me about these characters, even though I've announced them. But I don't expect people to see that one pope, right, But this particular character. The game was so big and still is, uh.
Speaker 1: Like you as long as possible.
Speaker 4: That they brought some of the cast out to San Diego Comicon last year. So we had this room there was like two to three thousand people standing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've never experienced anything like it was overnight. You were in that room. My god, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well what was it?
Speaker 4: I don't know if you were. I doubt your re memories. It was a lot going on, but both of you. The one element of my my voice was shot from because I've been doing a ton of cons and I got sick about a month prior, and my the symptoms were all gone, like I was testing negative. But my voice sort of likes I can't even actually impersonate it. My voice sort of like sounded like this, like now I sound like, what's what's Awski Now I sound like rods No, but it was. It was just kind of like like a huskier and up here and Locke's character it sits down here, it's very relaxed and there's a lot of resonance to it.
Speaker 3: That part of my voice was gone perfect, so perfect.
Speaker 4: Luckily I didn't there's like interviews out of me when I was, because they did a ton of interviews and no barely anyone's been like, what's.
Speaker 1: Wrong with Adam's voice?
Speaker 3: Your character?
Speaker 4: Like they just call you pooh, right, I mean not under the shoe poo, but you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the.
Speaker 4: Good smelling poo. Yeah, honey smelling pooh. Yes, but they get No one said anything but on that panel, I was absolutely terrified because because we have to, we have to yell our ultimate lines, and it's it's this big moment in the game where it's like the epics soup like kind of like a he man, like I love the power. Oh yeah, it's it's what the fans identify with as the ultimate supercharge moment of their favorite character. Yes that you know, it was very familiar with by playing the game. So I was terrified that, like I was going to sound nothing like it. When it was my turn in the room of thousands of people to yell my line, and thank god, it sounded pretty much like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was so scared.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But in the next day, when we didn't have a jam pack schedule, I was just walking the floor and and that was weird because I've never had anyone right. So a few people were like, we do we sall it. I'm like, I'll just like, you know, sign whatever they had around. That's new to me. That's totally new to me.
Speaker 3: And but I walked. I didn't. I wasn't walking around to do that. I wasn't walking around like anyone there.
Speaker 4: It was just it just was random, and I just want to actually see what was going on. And what was one of those things that was going on is you were on the floor and I had never met you, and I was waiting in a fairly short line, and you had a very good handler assistant vetting like, so.
Speaker 1: You're actually gonna you know, buy something?
Speaker 3: Are You're just gonna waste gems time?
Speaker 4: She didn't talk like that, but she that was the that's her job. And I was just like, oh, I'm actually I'm not gonna I just I just Alicia shake his hands. He's one of the legends, you know, like I would love to meet him. Just I'll make it very quick. I'm not going to chat as you're off. I pro I said, to give myself more cloud. I'm like, I'm actually here as a talent. You know, I was on the panel, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I did actually have that badge, right, but.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of people with industry badges and stuff. So so she was just doing her job to make sure.
Speaker 3: But luckily when she was doubting if.
Speaker 4: I was a legit actor, yeah, I could just feel it going south. The one of we share one of the same talent or con managers celeb works and I can't remember who it was because there's a lot of people work for them, but they were sitting next to you, and so before it was my turn, he says Jordan Jordan Reynolds, and I'm like, yeah, that's me. We rep you right, like yeah, and so he's like he's fine, let him up. Oh yeah, I'm not just some creepy fan. It's just like I want I want to stroke Jim's hand, please me. So that's how I felt like I was coming across to the lady.
Speaker 3: So I came up. It was very brief, but my voice was so blown out.
Speaker 4: I had to like lean over the table and it was I'm like, I'm like, hey, Jimmy, oh no, I am so and You're like, oh, it's very kind.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, it's funny. There's a lot of people that I think get excited or something and they burst, like by Saturday night or Sunday morning their voices. Could you make this one out to Lenny Lenny Kirks sorry, And I said, yeah, well, if you're catchy, stay the hell away here write it down exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's the scary part I actually had.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a wide range of people.
Speaker 1: Social skills of fans, right, yeah, very wide range. And that's very well said, by the way, Yes, it's much better than sane. A lot of people are just assholes.
Speaker 4: I was call an asshole, which I would never say that. No, No, there's I'm not talking about like the straight up assholes.
Speaker 3: I'm talking more just like you know, social cues and things like that.
Speaker 4: Oh, sure, you know, there's we're not all perfect at it, but there was. I was at a con and this, you know, it's probably late teens, early twenties. And he came up to my table. Luckily it was a deeper table because he was just like he was coughing a little bit, but he didn't I usually can hear because you know, voice actors have very sharp ears. I don't even know your voice. I've never heard you speak, but I can hear if there's something going on most of the time, like he didn't quite have that, but and he wasn't quite coughing either, but he proceeded to introduce himself, not buying anything, just wanted to just say hi, very quickly, and he said something along the lines of he said, what do you say. He's just like he's like, yeah, I leryngitis, and it's like really, it's so bad.
Speaker 3: It's contagious. I just got it like yesterday, and I'm like, oh, thanks, okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I kind of like the the elves on the Christmas Story, like like nice football.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I can't get sick.
Speaker 2: It's my job, kidding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: A terrifying part of it.
Speaker 2: One thing that cracks me up when I go to conventions with Jim is they'll come up to gym. Some people will come up and be like, so you were Fuzzy Lumpkins, you were dark wing Duck, and Jim's like yes, yes, and then they'll just like start naming characters that he was. And then Jim's like yes, and it's like all right, pleasure to meet you. Just walk away.
Speaker 1: You know why.
Speaker 3: That probably made their day.
Speaker 4: You know, you don't seems very odd, but every everyone just has different things.
Speaker 3: That fulfill them.
Speaker 4: And and it's been I appreciate it because it takes a lot of courage for these people to come up.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know sometimes yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Can see people literally share oh god, yeah, you know, and and Pool gets a lot of tears.
Speaker 1: I bet, yeah, yeah, I've got I have tissues on the table, you know, a box of clean You're serious? No, yeah, I do, yeah, wow, because uh, you know, and it's always really a sweet lady, a woman, you know, it's you know, it's a should be sitting there.
Speaker 5: And as we standing there spot she's a really big poo fan. She and I just and then I get up and hug them, and then they then they then they you know, they usually you're a eate or.
Speaker 1: Something, and I mean had one of those.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually I might have made that last part.
Speaker 4: You have you have snotsuckers, tissue and diapers on the table.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyone?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I almost said something else, but I didn't.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 1: That's good. Yes, it is good. If you're a fan of everything we do here at tuned In with Jim Cummings, you could support the show on Patreon for bonus exclusive podcasts, as well as early in ad free access to the show itself, prize drawings, and more. You'll feel the difference, so go ahead and join the tuned In family today at patreon dot com slash Jim Cummings Podcast. Do it now?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's that time of this podcast where we do a little voice swap. What do you think, right?
Speaker 3: Sure? Yeah, terrifying, But it's actually be terrifying if we hadn't try to do the other person's voice, which you should try to get somebody do.
Speaker 2: But people get so scared by that. Like it because people assume that right away and you can see like, yeah, they go, oh hell, hardened veterans and they're like, voice swap, I can't do those voices.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, man, I love it because I'll make his rebrief there is I took Groundlings classes and they they put you through it right, and I had done enough improv and I think it's because I've done a lot of voiceovers my full time job when I was doing it, and the classes that is. And there was this exercise we had to do and there's like twelve of us, and the exercise was all the students, Oh my god, it's so crazy. So I sit here in a chair and the eleven students who've been in this class with me for weeks, so we've really got to know each other's voices and mannerisms, personalities. The exercise is for the eleven students to go up on the stage. It's just a room and you sit there and the teacher's like, all right, everyone do your best. Jordan Reynolds go and everyone starts like so but you're all talking at the same time, so you're having to pick out phrases they say and how they're placing their voice.
Speaker 1: And I was like crying. I thought it was so funny.
Speaker 4: I loved it, but not the other Like it was like half of the students were just mortified, which is not a natural exercise. But I loved thankfully confident enough now and thick enough skin that I just think it.
Speaker 3: Was so fun. But I can't remember what the point of the exercise.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting thing to probably just to get over the fear of performing in public. Perhaps, Yeah, but you know, they do studies where on average, people fear public speaking more than death. Yes, more than death. People would rather die than speak in public.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, no, I've heard that a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and I get it.
Speaker 2: It's but yeah, but it's like a primal thing, you know, like if you you know, we're animals at the end of the day, if you see a whole bunch of you know, potential threats locking eyes on you, you know, it's like, oh, like I am surrounded, you know, And yeah, it can be intim I never really had stage right at all. I loved performing. I loved being up in front of people, like I wanted the attention. But I can definitely like when I do perform, there's there's like an anxiety, like not a bad anxiety, but there's like an energy that swells up.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm on you know.
Speaker 2: It's like and I use that, I've.
Speaker 1: Used that to fuel of performance exactly.
Speaker 2: But I can see how that can be crippling to people, you know, Like.
Speaker 4: Well, performing is different than like a public speech, which all that stuff. To me, it's all that's so serious, but it's like I'm here to read the script or it's like if it's a eulogy or a political thing, all of that has a very serious, adult like connotation to it, Whereas what we get to do as actors, we're just being idiots.
Speaker 3: Like especially if we get to we.
Speaker 7: Could completely get to change our voice into something that is absolutely not who this is my crappy and the killing but it's actually no showdo that's not where poo lives, but it's.
Speaker 4: But we get to do that, right, So there's I feel like we can kind of escape and tap into something that isn't us, Whereas if it's like public speaking speech, it's just you trying to be the perfect version of you.
Speaker 3: No ums, no butts. So I think that's what people associate with.
Speaker 1: No thanks, take me out back, Yeah, give me a script read from.
Speaker 3: The ear please? Ex anyways, I mean to derail from the exercise.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go. Okay, well how it works? Is there any characters you would like to request?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Man, m you mentioned dark wing. Yeah, we got to get a dark wing duck in there, if you.
Speaker 4: Don't mind, okay, and uh, let's do the King Louis.
Speaker 1: Louis, King Louis sure, yeah, King Louis right, yeah, yeah, yeah, I wasn't like it was king something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because you you've inherited. Yeah, yes, and it's it's just I just love that character.
Speaker 1: Somemore good. Yeah, me too, Yeah, me too. I always have loved him. Yeah, he's he's one of my all time favorites, went away, all right, one of my top six maybe, wow, something like that.
Speaker 3: I love that question, though, what's your favorite? What's your favorite you've ever done?
Speaker 1: Just pick one? I can't do you can't really do that? Yeah, that one? Which one?
Speaker 2: Do you like? That?
Speaker 1: That was it?
Speaker 3: How did you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, dark dark wing duck all right?
Speaker 1: Started off show, so I I and then he explained to him.
Speaker 2: You'll do and then let's do add more luck okay, okay.
Speaker 1: I am the terror that flaps in the night. I am the terror that flaps in the night.
Speaker 2: Doesn't sound very flapping now he actually flaps, now, he actually flies. Yeah, no idea.
Speaker 4: How happy I am because I play and stream and everything is, oh my god, I saw you playing with Neckros not too long.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was That's a wild ride.
Speaker 4: Yeah oh yeah it was Nechroas and Bulger and I love to impersonally Boger he has, Yeah, this is Bulger.
Speaker 3: He's like, he's like, no, that's that ship. Bro, No, I don't even know what why would you why?
Speaker 4: That's yeah, I'm strange man, and like it's a very light accent.
Speaker 2: Where is she from Marble Rivals that I'm crying?
Speaker 3: I love I love both of them.
Speaker 2: Hey, necroso I will.
Speaker 3: I'll give you a clip afterwards where I impersonated in front of him, I think. But okay, so yeah that was all right.
Speaker 4: So that was Adam doing dark Wing Duck, which is something I never imagined not to get to do.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, well, who was your character again?
Speaker 4: In Pokemon It's it's so there's all these different properties. But but yeah, Pokemon Masters is a game, and he's, uh, there's two train conductors.
Speaker 3: They're twin brothers, and there's Ingo, who I voice, and Emitt.
Speaker 4: So they look the same but they just have different colored coats. So they have a catchphrase.
Speaker 3: Yes, So it's really just one word.
Speaker 4: So do you want do you want a one word option which is just all aboard.
Speaker 3: Or do you want a.
Speaker 1: Few more words to play with a few more words I played with?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so another This is a very endearing line, he says. Ingo from Pokemon Masters says, there is no I think it's yeah, here we go.
Speaker 3: Remember there is no terminal called end in your life.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this will be King Louis then Yes, Remember there was no terminal called end in your life? Son?
Speaker 2: Wait can you do that one? I feel like that would be such a good Pooh quote, very philosophical.
Speaker 1: Remember there is no terminal called end. I think in the hundred.
Speaker 3: Acre wood, I love it so much.
Speaker 1: Please pass the honey right here?
Speaker 3: Yells everything?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got a yallon excellent. What's what are you off to next?
Speaker 3: Today? A power nap?
Speaker 7: Do you know?
Speaker 3: I don't ever feel more powerful after a power nap?
Speaker 4: This week we'll see I probably can't talk just.
Speaker 2: Like projects coming up everything?
Speaker 4: What can we actually talk about until it's out where people see?
Speaker 2: I will say.
Speaker 4: The next thing I could that's announce is wonder con are you going to be there?
Speaker 1: We are?
Speaker 2: That's in Orlando, right, oh?
Speaker 3: No, maybe there's an Orlando.
Speaker 2: Oh no, think Medica. Yeah, it's Mega Con. Yeah, I think going to wonder Con. I think so, I don't think.
Speaker 3: I can't never just like just point and I'll walk. They'll drive there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we're doing we're doing this live at a bunch of conventions. So I've been traveling with time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: People get a kick, yeah, audience sorry yeah yeah, yeah, that's just a whole different kind of energy.
Speaker 3: So but yeah, I'll be a wonder Con and Ana.
Speaker 4: I'm at the end of this month. I don't know when this post, but.
Speaker 2: This will be like two three weeks, okay, so you'll.
Speaker 3: Be like right right around.
Speaker 4: The other ones are like Fandom Con, Silicon Valley, Anime of Sac Anime.
Speaker 2: Anime is a good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the first time there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 4: And the big one is New Zealand. I've never been. We're going to be it's like farming ed in con in Auckland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we'll be there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, watch out for the ruse, Yeah, the kangaroo.
Speaker 7: The I just hope I run into Chris hemswith I know he's actually Australian. But I want to show him the best Chris Hems with it I could do and see if he's impressed by it.
Speaker 2: That's damn good.
Speaker 1: It's that bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I do sound alike work, but I haven't been able to do him yet.
Speaker 3: So he's on my bucket list.
Speaker 1: That's good. That's good.
Speaker 2: Well, that's great. Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you for having me. Is seriously good an honor Hans.
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Absolute thank you, thank you, and.
Speaker 2: I wish we could go longer. You're fascinating to listen to it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, all.
Speaker 4: That failed high school years get a lot of philosophy of the brain.
Speaker 1: There'll be a quiz. So I hope you were taking notes.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, thank you guys all so much for watching. That was another episode of Tuna with Jim Cummings. I'm producer, Chris the Legend himself, mister Jim Cummings and Jordan Reynolds. Thank you so much again for being here, and thank you all so much for watching. Really appreciate it. But I have a little bone to pick. Yes, indeed, with you, I'm looking at you right now. A lot of you watching are not subscribed, and that that that doesn't do yourself any favors. You know, if you want to see more content like this, be sure to like and subscribe. Because YouTube's a weird website. You can watch something once and then it'll never be recommended to you again, so don't let that happen. And if you like this content so much you want to see more of it, good news. Tuned with Jim Coummies on Patreon, you can find bonus interviews, extra content, extended interviews, a little behind the scenes look, and much much more, so be sure to check that out. With all that said and done, once again, I'm producer Chris, Jim Cummings, Jordan Reynolds. We'll see you all the next one
Speaker 1: And clap, oh yeah