Speaker 1: Welcome to the Nightmare USA Podcast. Using Stephen Thrower's home as our road map, join us as we explore the underbelly of America, one regional horror film at a time.
Speaker 2: I'm Adam, I'm Sam.
Speaker 1: In our second episode, Sam's claiming home field advantage as we discussed Georgia Mahra's fourth feature film, The Crazies, A small.
Speaker 3: Town becomes a giant stockade. Evans City must be contained or levels. We're all concerned with Evans City, mister Hawks, If we have to push the bone, would you say that.
Speaker 2: Webon went off?
Speaker 3: Can't be the President? Three thousand, six hundred and fourteen people are trapped by an unknown enemy. Five are on the run. Can they escape the spreading fury of the crazy?
Speaker 1: While Ramera is very much considered a horror director, he did not seem too interest in being pigeon hold as such. After bursting onto the cinematic scene in nineteen sixty eight with Knight of the Living Dead, Ramera took how can we say It? The road Less Traveled, opting to direct There's Always Vanilla, which they tell me is a rom comm. Although I've never seen it myself. Maybe I'll watch it when we get around to Martin, But I did watch his third film for the first time, Season of the Witch aka Jack's Wife aka Hungry Wives. While this film may be considered a tangential horror film, it's really more interested in exploring the melancholia of a housewife who's dedicated her life to her family and only to find herself lonely, even if she's never really alone. The Crazies brings Ramire closer to his horror roots, but again, this film has more in its mind than just thrills and chills. Film toward the end of the conflict in Vietnam, The Crazies exposes the failures within government bureaucracy as well as the potential dangers that can occur when martial law is enforced. The Crazies was another box office failure for Romero. A twenty ten remake as well as audiences discovering the film in a post COVID world has resulted in some revisionist history. Sam, this is the first movie you wanted to talk about on this podcast. Tell us why The Crazies means so much to you.
Speaker 2: I am from Elwood City, PA, and it is about thirteen miles from evan City, PA. And so I drove through Evan City all the time as a kid. We went to church out by there, so Evan City is pretty much my home. As I saw the Crazies as a kid, it was terrifying because these were things that I had seen every day, you know what I mean, the same cornfields that I saw in the same like small town. Suddenly to see it taken over by soldiers is very terrifying, especially when you're young. Even more terrifying was when Dawn came out because we shocked at min Reubill maul. I also love this movie because when I first saw the pictures of it in magazines as a kid, I always thought that the bad guys were the government troops were you know, because the poster has them on it. But then you realize, like, there ain't no good guy, there ain't no bad guy, there's just you at in this movie, like everybody, there's failures on every side. And I think, like you mentioned the COVID ties and tie into this, I think it's even more prescient as we got into like Love Canal in seventy eight, and definitely for Pennsylvania, three Mile Island was a big deal to us because it was about two miles three hundred miles away. But still, you know, if that accident happened, we were pretty much in its path. That this is very early for that. And also the war had come home with the Vietnam War, it was on the news every night that this feels like kind of what people were seeing on the news around this time. But the fact that the soldiers could attack American citizens, especially post you know, the Chicago riots and a lot of the things that happened in the sixties, this doesn't feel like an alien thing that could happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sure, you saw a lot of civil unrest there at the end of the sixties that kind of led over into the to the seventies. So yeah, it didn't seem out of the not out of ordinary, but out of the realm of possibility for sure, for the government to take over this way, I would think.
Speaker 2: It feels too like unlike Knight, which has very you know, they talk about what caused the plague, that it's a Jupiter probe, but by the time we get to down, nobody's really sure how this happened, do you know what I mean? They're like, is it Hell's full? Is it the Jupiter probe. Is it a disease? Is it like? There's a lot of theories that come up. And the scenes in Down that are most fascinating to me are the scenes in the newsroom where nobody knows what's going on during COVID. Those scenes were even more terrifying because they were very similar to what press conferences were like during it. So this movie feels like it's kind of leading into what Don's going to be, but we have very fixed, definite reasons why this is happening. Code named Tricksy to the alternate title of this movie that I offer, refer to this movie as that instead of The Craziest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's my first note on here. I just sid could name Trixing, But because I like that, I like that better.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, it seems like it's like The Crazies is like, oh, someone's I get it right, it describes what happens, but codemn Tricksy's like, oh that's what is that like?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: That's kind of fascinating.
Speaker 1: It ties it more into the the reasoning behind what's going on of the I guess there's some sort of biological weapons that's gotten loose into this town, and.
Speaker 2: This feels like something that whereas like Night and Dawn, I guess they could happen, right, this movie feels like one hundred percent could happen, and I'm shocked that it didn't, especially knowing there were a lot of incidents where you know, things almost got released. Plus we have like you know, the government experimenting of people like the Tuscany airmen and a few other things. And there was one thing in uh actually in Pennsylvania where the government tested flu and how far it would travel based on our high system by dosing people on the PA Turnpike as they went towards Ohio the track and see how far flu could be carried. So the fact that this happened, like I'm sure Rameiro was aware of these things also, as you can tell from his movies, not a big fan of the government, So you know this movie ties into that too.
Speaker 1: So I guess, and I alluded to this in the intro, But you know, kind of how did we get here? I haven't seen there's always been Lela? What do he is? That a weird going from night to living? Did there's always been Ala? I mean, I understand not wanting to feel like Okay, I'm a horror director. I was trying to think of what's an example of someone else who's pivoted so hard from horror to to that, And I really couldn't think of any sort of comp.
Speaker 2: Argento did because after Bird he did what the Four Days, and it's kind of like a comp I always think of Romero and Orgento somewhat tangribally tied together from working on Down and lives together. Also, there's a DiPalma did like uh, but uh, he did a few comedy once early in his career at Collo Mom and a few other ones that like don't always tie into, you know, what he's known for. So I think Rameira wanted to get, especially this time of the world, like what we don't realize today is genre fans or horror fans or whatever label we want to give ourselves. Horror movies were the ghetto of movies, do you know what I mean? This is not what he wanted to be involved in. And uh, there's always been how it does very much feel like a movie of its time, but also like you're kind of nascent New Hollywood, but there's not any character that you will like in that movie, like it actually outright, like, I hate some of them.
Speaker 1: What's that movie about? I don't like? I didn't even look at I contemplated, what that's as far.
Speaker 2: As I got. I said, should I watch it?
Speaker 1: And I didn't. I said, you know it is June's Ploitation and one of the Catys this year is Georgi Romero. And I said, well, I'm going to opt for a season of The Witch because I had not seen that one before. I think that made the right choice, right, Yeah, So what what's there's always been ala? What is that about?
Speaker 2: Well, Ramo said it was a total mess. That's what he referred to it as also known as the Affair. And it's kind of like this guy Chris. He comes back to Pittsburgh from college. His dad owns a baby food factory. He always wanted his son to work in the baby food factory, but he's a drifter and he doesn't want to like have the day after day after day a job that his dad does. And he says, he's been gone for three years and his dad's still in the same bar. He's still drinking the same shot in a beer boiler maker is the drink of choice in a Pittsburgh, bar uh, And you know, he meets this old girlfriend whose name's Terry Terrific, which is ridiculous, right, But it's like and just everything in Pittsburgh is just deadly to him, and he doesn't want to stay there and he's trying to figure out how to g away. But almost he's like very much like a narcissist, where like every relationship ship is in he destroys and like is he the not the tailor swiftest? But is he the problem? Yes? He is, do you know what I mean? And like at the end, his father says to him, the problem is you want to sample all these different flavors, because he finds out that he and his father are both trying to sleep with the same woman at some point, even though his dad's married. And it's like this is where he learns that his dad had a different life than he realized. And his dad's like, you know, there's all these flavors of ice cream, but eventually realize there's always vanilla, so you just settle. And it's like, I don't know if that's the message I want to take out of this versus, Like I think like Jack's Wife or season of The Witch is great, Like it's very much like an f shallow where it feels like you could watch that and a strange perfume of the woman in black or a lizard in a woman's skin. It feels like it fits into those movies. And I like the fact that she's exchanging like Witchcraft for having a husband, and it's just like she's always going to be Jack's wife. Like I've I've loved that movie, Like I've watched it several times, and I think that that's like his like hidden movie that's really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really liked it, and it really came at the right time for me, probably because our youngest daughter just graduated college and she got married two weeks later, so and this just happened at the end of the last month. So we're entering a new season of our life of kind of empty nesters. So and that's kind of where that character is, where she's devoted her life to her family and her I think the daughter's like nineteen and she's kind of doing her own thing, and the husband's always been doing his own thing anyway of work, and you know, there's some good imagery of her being chained, you know, chained up outside, or he's given her a tour of the house as if she had never been there, things like that, and then whenever she you know, that was my thought. It's like, well, I hope my wife finds a hobby, you know, in this emptiness phace. If if my hobby is going to be, you know, podcasting, then I hope she doesn't turn to witchcraft, which because it doesn't turn out well for the men in that movie, although I did find an interest and that she becomes you know, at the end, she is you know, tied up and tethered to you know, this part of the witchcraft cult. Covent coven or coven. However you want to say that.
Speaker 2: You say it that way, that's how you should say it, all.
Speaker 1: Right, So she's still tethered, you know, she traded in her chain for a red tether of some sort to this cult. So, uh yeah, I really loved that movie. I'll look forward to watching it again.
Speaker 2: Parts of it are shot in North for Sales and yes, that's how we save versay in Pittsburgh, like that neighborhood's called North for Sales and really close to where there's like a food land that you can see in one part of the movie really where that is there's an atom smasher and when the Westinghouse lab closed down, they just left the atom smasher in the field. If this had been used for all these experiments, it's still there. It's just like laying on the crowned like and they have like a cordon off area if you can't get too close to it. That's Pittsburgh. But you get a lot of feel of like what Pittsburgh was like in that time. And I also am fascinated by the late sixties early seventies where it was cool to be into witchcraft and the Church of Satan was getting really big and there was this like a cult energy that came and then within the next eight years the Satanic Panic happens. So it feels strange that like it would completely shift what a movie like Season the Witch would be like if it came out like eighty or eighty one, it would be you know, maybe Jack would be the good guy and not the horrible force that leads us to this. Also, that movie should be subtitled every guy in this movie is horrible, Like every man in that movie is the worst.
Speaker 1: Yes, So just you know, good for her, isn't good for her?
Speaker 2: Maybe it totally is. There's a lot of crossover though with the Crazies. There's a few people you know that like Brewbaker in this movie is Jack, the husband from season of the Witch. So and there's a lot of the Rameiro used obviously the same crew a lot because they were his same crew that worked on you know, Latin Image and worked on all the commercials. What's sad here is that like post this, like Rameira was like, well I made three movies, now only one was successful, but I didn't make any money for him it, so it's went back to commercials. So his big thing after this is doing The Champions, which is a ABC series that profile sports stars, and that's where the OJ of the Juice is loose movie that was re released whatever the OJ thing happened. Also, he was shooting commercials for Caylgun, which is based in my hometown of Bellwood City, said the early ancient Chinese secret commercial. There's another one that he and John Russa did together that's fantastic voyage. But going down at toilet to clean the toilet with calgun, it's really great commercial. It's really well shot. It looks beautiful, but it's like still a toilet commercial. He had bigger aspirations than working on Colgon commercials.
Speaker 1: Well they had this commercials back then were so great, and the one that always got me as a kid was the scrubbing bubbles, and I was so disappointed whenever those scrubbing bubbles did not come out of that can and magically clean my bapto talk about a letdown.
Speaker 2: They that's why there was that rule that eventually young kids commercials could not be animated because a lot of times they would animate the toy so it seemed that it was coming alive and kids would be like, why didn't I get this? They start crying. Their parents were like, you've ruined my kids. You're driving me crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would see disclaimers at the bottom, you know, not actual toy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, toy does not really move. Some persons require my favorite, some poses require hand support. No ship figures out could just stand there on its own.
Speaker 1: Now we get some of this is AI created. Uh, you know I've seen this to clin disclaimer lately on commercials for the for anything to uses AI. I guess we've.
Speaker 2: Been getting this commercial and hopefully nobody else listening to this or you Adam have got this commercial. But it is for a cleaning service in my small hometown of Minoga Hala that I live in now. And it's an Ai old woman and someone's cleaning around her and she's like, I've lived in, I've lived in and then Monoga Hala, do you know what I mean? Like that? Right? Literally like that? And uh and she's like, and if you know, and she says the name of the place and she says it wrong because Pittsburgh glass names are hard to say. And it's like this town is so small, of like maybe three thousand people. Everybody knows everybody. Of course I know who this cleaning company is. Of course I know they couldn't afford this budget. What is going on? It literally pushed not that I need a cleaning crew, because that's my job. You know, my wife has I'm the toilet cleaner, but you're the scrubbing bubble. I'm the scrubbing bubble. But uh, that's what. If this was a video podcast right now, Super would come up and say, Sam scrubbing bubble Panica. But like it's so disingenuous and weird. Anyways, Uh, I am excited. I'm excited to talk about The Crazies with you because this is a movie that very few people talk about and get excited about, so like especially because I think when I was younger it was seen as like a lesser version of Dawn and Night, and I don't agree with that. I think it stands. It's an equal to those and it's not like a sequel or like it has elements of it, but much like Nightmare City, right, what's that on? These are the infected. They're not zombies. They're infected, like, these aren't zombies.
Speaker 1: So where do you want to start with with the Crazies. I first watched this film back in twenty twenty one, so it was post COVID or really still in the midst of COVID, which so I found a very interesting with all the government inefficiencies. Will then nice way to say it, and then I'll watch it again here, and then I watched it with the commentary.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the interesting thing is this right from the beginning inverts Night, where like Night starts with you know, a child or well in the middle of it, you know, Kiro's character kind of rises up and kills her parents and actually what's crazy is this is how how yins or Pittsburgh is to drive in. Someone brought the troal, the actual trowal like signed by her and had it like on the table, and everybody came up and looked at the trowel. They killed the parents in night. But this starts with parents killing their children, and I think that's a theme that really comes up a lot in like late sixties, early seventies. If you think about that scene in the one story in The Illustrated Man where the parents think that nuclear war is going to happen, so they kill their children and that turns out the word doesn't happen. Is this ripped off by the myths by Stephen King and Stephen King ever ripped off other stories? Short?
Speaker 1: Of course, I will say I did immediately go reach from my book of the Sweetest Taboo, written by friend Erica Schultz, who covers all the child kills. It's like, I know this is in there. Yes, she of course includes it and the sequel, and she likes this film much better than the sequel, and we'll get into the sequel later.
Speaker 2: But if she liked the sequel, I'd be like, is she been pod person? Replaced, because I know anytime I write her about a movie that I saw with the childkill from anywhere past, like nineteen ninety, she's like, I don't have to watch this fucking movie. I'm I guess you were. Well.
Speaker 1: I know that's why I felt because I saw it a lot. I don't know child kills are coming back in style or something, because I kept fine. I kept seeing them, Like the New Silent Night Deadly Night remake had one, and I said, I apologize in advance for you, because I mean, I kind of liked that film for what it is. I knew that she would hate it, and she did hate it, and yeah, a few other ones.
Speaker 2: I've seen them, like I'm sorry, she should just write a book about like the Roger Rubert one that I hated this film. Like when I see stuff the New Faces to Death, my first thought is not I'm gonna hate this movie. My first thought is Eric's gonna hate this movie even more than me, Like this is like it's like a target audience of hatred, and they like, let's put a child killing. So she comes to a movie.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to remember if that one had a child I watched it. I did I did kind of like it, to be honest, with the new one, I gain for what it is. For what it is, It's not anything at all like the original one, of course, but it was a decent time. It was kind of like Dexter really if it's kind of had that vibe about it. But I don't know, I keep putting For the newer movies. I just put the bar on the floor or maybe under the floor, joists as low as it can go, and then I find myself maybe try to be pleasantly surprised.
Speaker 2: I hate when people send me fake memos of stuff, like some one set me once that an Aubry was being remade by Rob Zombie, and I was like, don't don't even make a joke about that, right, Like it's all so as a horn nerd, I'm sure you do the same thing. I was on the plane that we were just talking about. I had a business trip this week, and as I was getting up from the plane to get my bag, there was somebody sleeping and they had a Tenabera shirt on, and I'm like, I should really wake that guy up and we should be best friends. But then I'm like, no, I'd like, you know, I had like a you know, my dressed business like I don't look I still look like a horn nerd, but you know at the time and I'm like, fuck that guy and are going to be the best of friends. But yeah, anyways, I think the interesting thing here this really picks up something about western Pennsylvania if you didn't pick it up from Night. The most Pittsburgh Western Pa thing about Night is the minute does zombie start attacking nobody fort to fives or saves their family, they go hunting, and like there's that scene where it's in both there's one in the beginning of Dawn where everybody's crushing iron cities and they're out in Butler somewhere shooting zombies. Romero gets Western Pennsylvania. That's exactly where would happen. Like we there, militia guys have been wanting to kill you beings for a while and have been stuck with deer, and now it's like, once that happens, Eric, let's go.
Speaker 1: I do have a note about this because I wrote define what a redneck is? I think they they do. They mention the term redneck, and for me, I mean from the South, that's just a very common you just think redneck is from the South, and I've never really thought about it being outside the South.
Speaker 2: I've it's funny because we did call people that were farmers and stuff for rednecks, because obviously, I guess the term comes from you know, you're.
Speaker 1: Out in the sun, so right, or the red neck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like there is a phrase in Pittsburgh, Pennsivania called pennsyl Tucky where it's like literally other than maybe maybe eerie, but Philadelphia and Pittsburgh everything in between may as well be the most Bucolic rural thing in rural Okay, yeah, real yeah, And like, uh, it's weird because I so, I was just in Alabama for a week. I see more rebel flags in Western PA than I saw the entire time I was in Alabama and Georgia. Like my one of my neighbors when he opens his door, he has a huge one. He's an Italian kid, like you know what I mean, Like he's there's nothing to him that was suggesting. So I'm like, you know that we were on the other side of the War of Northern Aggression. It's they call it, like let's I don't know what's going on, but see, yeah, like that feeling of like the redneck ism. There are rednecks in Western PA. Most most cities here are.
Speaker 1: Okay, whenever this the high school that all three of my kids graduated from. Their mascot was the Rebels, and it was a Confederate soldier was the mascot.
Speaker 2: To this day, it still is.
Speaker 1: And that school was formed because people moved across the river to from Alexandria to Pine Be, Louisiana, and they well, I say, I say the people, it was a very much white flight, moved to Pine all set up a school. And that's what you know they wanted to be known for is their racism, I guess. And so it's still to this day. And so they were there was a lot of talk at that time of changing the mascot due to these racist connotations, and and somebody said, well, let's just make let's make that rebel black and instead of a like like you just saw congratulations.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, as someone that just spent a week doing diversity and inclusion classes, that's amazing. Uh, it's really wild. Like I was thinking about it when we were doing these discussions and going on all this stuff. It's like this stuff like these schools picking mascots and uh, you know, we're staying with them or making these weird choices, Like it's not just in our lifetime or our parents' lifetime, it's like in the last five years or the last year, Like it's happening all the time, Like people are like, how dare you? And also it brings to this rage of like no one ever looked at and I'muncle Ben's box ever forever and then suddenly like we're changing Uncle Ben's are like, God damn it, these people, what are you doing? Like why do you care?
Speaker 1: Right? One thing that I saw and at the beginning of the film, and one thing that I love we talked about last episode of like childhood fears of running at your car breaking down in the middle of nowhere. And another thing that's always happens in these movies is that people have to answer the phone, no matter what, no matter what is happening that phone. If the phone rings, you got to answer it. And so that kind of happens at the beginning. There's on the other end, and I think that's what happens at the very beginning because the and again I'm terrible with character names, so you're gonna have to help me out. Then the nurse character, uh, she has to answer that phone.
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 1: And that's how it kind of gets propelled start of like, you know, you're gonna need to come into the office because there's something going on.
Speaker 2: The beginning there where the father spoils on right the spoilers, oh way, yes, yeah, the father that kills his wife and torches the house with the kids inside. It was the special facts tech for the movie. And then the children that are screaming in that scene are the kids of s William Hensman, who is the first zombie and Night and also made the movie Flesh Eater, which I hated the first time I saw it, and now I love it because I figured out the secret of Flesh Eater.
Speaker 1: Flesh Eater is one that I liked as it went by the end of it, I liked it. It started out I really didn't care for it, and then as it went on and on, I was like, oh wait, I do like this. I think even to the point where I had posted h the to sell my four K. I think it's in four K from Benner's Syndrome, just post it on eBay to sell it. Halfway through the movie. I'm like, uh, I'm not keeping this, and then by the end of US I took it off. I was like, no, I need to keep this.
Speaker 2: He he had been married for thirty five years by that point, and if you notice, every time he attacks a young girl, he like paused her breast for like that did period his and I was like, certainly his wife was angry. His wife was like the producer executive producer with him. She was on the set all the time. So I asked him about like, oh, no, they were great. They had a great relationship. So I think this was just his way of just you know, hey, I'm old, Like let's let's do something. And once you watch it through that ones, I guess it's better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a lot of dead leaves. I remember, Yes, welcome to Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: We have so I'm so glad we moved our houses and have trees around it every other house I've ever lived at in my life. Like if you're a kid like you rake leaves, do you know what I mean? Like Eurek leaves. Yeah, and like I'm so glad that I don't have to anymore.
Speaker 1: But it's that's our dream to find a house with no trees because again being from a Louisana, We've had we had three trees hit our house, durned hurricanes or tornadoes and trees or just they are beautiful to look at. And now I don't ever want to own a lot with another tree on it.
Speaker 2: I want to concrete every yard that I live in. I just want to like, let's just burn, like nuke it from orbit and then move on that house that's burning. Speaking of nuking things, uh that was this happens at Evan City. What they were going to knock down that house anyway, and Romero was like, hey, can we set this house on fire? And the fire Department's like, sure, go ahead. It's totally till, no permit nothing. You're in the woods like pretty much. Evan City is like very real, very very rural. Uh so yeah, we start off and uh we meet the Vietnam vets, David and Klank not at Pittsburgh name who get to the scene. And Judy who you talked about, the nurse, she's the one that has to go in and treat the kids for burns in the office. Meanwhile, you know, in that medical office, that's where the military guys show up. And you're cono. And if you're wondering, like did Romero was he influenced by Kubrick the same music that the military uses in this The animals went in two by two, like the marching music that's the same music from Doctor Strangelove when they show up. So I'm sure he was like, this is is that a bad thing to say? This is my Doctor Strange Love. I don't think it's like except my Doctor Strange Love is an exploitation movie that you know played drive ins and but you know deredor dream.
Speaker 1: Then they bring in my favorite character. I did write this character's name down because it's doctor Watts played France. I'm sure you have a lot to say about him. Yeah, and because he ends up in uh other Ramera movie. And I have a living Dead Donna the Dead Donna did I'm film I've only seen once, let me just put it that way, but not that long ago. I don't know why that one just slipped through and us I've never seen Day of the Dead either, But.
Speaker 2: You don't need to see people get mad at me all the time. But like I uh, I really prefer day, I mean Donna mean today. But yeah, doctor Watt Richard France's character is a huge deal in uh, you know in Day he's also in Night Riders, and then he shows up in that like I taught the craziness in the TV station and telling people where to go and stuff and that. So if I as a kid, I always was like, is that the same character? Obviously it's not because of the end of this movie, but it would be cool, Like I always being a comic book geek, I wanted there to be, and I would argue there is a Romero cinematic universe. You know, the same actors show up in different movies. Where's Martin during all this? Who can say? So?
Speaker 1: He doctor Watson? He ends up there again. I guess that's some mistake, a governmental bureaucracy mistake. How he ends up in the front line instead of in the lab somewhere trying to find the reversal agent for this biological weapon.
Speaker 2: And he does. But there's numerous times in this movie where I I think it's that's my favorite part of this The cure is here and it gets screwed up and it gets lost, do you know what I mean? And it's like, man, like you guys were so close. But again, through that bureaucracy, through everything, even the fact that a military plane with a bio up and just crashed right into the water supply, Like, you know, why is it even flying over this small town in western PA? You know, why would they make a drug that causes the crazies? Like I get it right, Yes, it would destroy cities and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: But it's like, but would you ever be able to contain it in the first place? Maybe would you learned? Would you have the antidote or the vaccine first before transporting it anywhere?
Speaker 2: You would think? Right?
Speaker 1: These are all unanswerable questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But also I'm sure you know within your career in mind, we both were, if not on the front lines of COVID, supplying people with the information for it. And it's like, uh, I can see like kind of like why they want to contain this because you know it's things can quickly and also it's like fire is the same thing, Like you can't predict the way that a virus is gonna beauty or do things. You can try, but it's impossible. I'm not politicizing viruses, but never the show will never do that. This is when I finally pull my mask down, and I'm like, I'm a conspirat, I'm a I am Q. And then that's that's what the show's about from there on.
Speaker 1: So I love the scenes where they the government comes in and they start rounding everyone up in town and they just kind of burst into these people's houses and they get very far into these people's houses before they even seem concerned. Like the guy sitting there in his recliner, Yeah, two people are on each side of them. He's like, oh, wait, what's going on? What's happening here?
Speaker 2: And it's also like that thing that we always heard right in school about, you know, the Revolutionary War, that that's one of the things that didn't want soldiers being put up in houses, and there's all these rules for that, and like no when stuff goes wrong. This is I think Rameira pretty much, And because I think the rest of the world this probably doesn't feel like science fiction for the time it came out, because people saw Ohio State and they saw you know, men like all these other riots and stuff like that, where the government was doing any things. You would not expect.
Speaker 1: That one guy did let that little girl get hurt.
Speaker 2: All It's interesting because this is another movie like where like a lot of early Rameiro movies where it's like, don't fall in love with any of these characters because probably nobody's making it out. I guess definitely know what is. They're hiding in a country club. Sometimes Rameiro uses this like people are like, oh, his movies have a subtle political algory. It's not always sometimes he's got like a sledgehamdler. Right, But they're hiding out in this country club. They want to escape through the woods, but like to do that, they have to be violent, right to overpower the soldiers. So are they living up to what the crazies is or is that just in dickn of the situation they're in where there's confrontations when people friend against frand it's all the things we're told to kind of happen at the end of the world, Like things fall apart very quickly too. I always think about that, like the end of the world, not the end of the world, but like when things fall apart, it happens so faster. On nine to eleven, I went to and we live we live close to Shanksville where the one plane landed, crashed whatever, But like grocery stores were overrun within you know, fifteen minutes after that, and then you know things. So I think that's also realistic about this. Within half a day, Evan City is a mess and you've got to fight military troops to get out of it.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of yelling in this movie.
Speaker 2: I love that though, Like we talked about that all the time on our video show, Like we're always like, did you hear all the screams? Oh my god, there's so many streams. That's why Ala Carta is a top ten movie because Alacarta is like ninety minutes of women freaking out and it's music my years. I love it.
Speaker 1: Let's see we get another film with a flamethrower. We talked about this last time back to back and we and then we'll have some more connections with this movie in our next movie, but we'll get to that later.
Speaker 2: I love that, Like is that people are guess that's the same you guys podcast. Yeah, we're movies about two dudes talking about flamethrowers. That's the name of this flunny.
Speaker 1: Let's see, I don't know what else, what else do you have?
Speaker 2: So uh, as David learns everybody's infected, like you know, like already hangs himself. Kathy just tries to sneak out of her hiding spot. She's pray good. She gets shot by soldiers. Do you know what I mean? Like they don't even care. Uh. Clank starts to realize that the virus is coming.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: He engages the soldiers and sacrifices himself. But like by the end of it, Judy is so infected that she just attacks her own people. And David's like totally broken by this and he surrenders himself. But while in custody, he just he learns that he's immune to the virus. But you know what, he doesn't tell anybody. He's just like fuck, you know what I mean? Like at this point, who am I helping? And then doctor Watts, who finally, even in these horrible situations, like discovers a cure, but he's killed and the samples are destored because everything you know, falls apart, and by the end, you know, Colonel Packham is order to relocate to Louisville. There's already an outbreak in Louisville. And in the time you know that we're watching this. I think that's another interesting thing because did you know this that you know, the Return of the Living Dead set in Louisville, and supposedly that's the same place they sent this contagion because if you look at the nerve agent, it's called triox and like, uh, trixy two four five. So I would like to believe the Return of the Living deads in the same universe as this movie.
Speaker 1: We'll make it. We're saying it right here, right now. This is these are all connected.
Speaker 2: The tagline is why are the Good People Dying? And one it should be called what are the Good People dying? And yelling at each other? And then it is a spoiler warning right in the in the thing, like anyone that you care about this movie is they're not going to make it. By the end, They're going to call in a nuclear plane and just wipe. I might have pound off the map. You know.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like you know when people ask why do bad things happen to good people and always say, I guess like usually you're you're the good people, And well, you know, why do you think you're the good people? Always? In this scenaria? Yeah, what make what makes you good people?
Speaker 2: I gotta tell you that my favorite person in this movie is Kathy because I love Lynn Wowery, and it's funny that she's in two movies that are such a similar basic idea, like I drink your blood in this movie. Maybe that's the spoiler. You might edit that out, yeah, but uh yeah, it's that. But it's funny because she's also in Shivers. So at some point do you think she was like, Hey, could I maybe not be in movies? We're some kind of crazy virus begins to impact the world and I'm like a drugged out girl staring out a window. She's in Cat People too, which one could also say is some kind of fever overcomes people. So but this movie does have people that were in other stuff. While you know David's main character, he's in Close Encounter as he was on a lot of TVs and the Enforcer. There but a lot of people that crossover into Romero movies, like Beyond Richard Franz, there's Woyd Holler, who's the Colonel. He's in Night Riders. S Wayne Hensman shows up Is it Crazy? So does Ramere is an extra in it too. Richard Liberty who is Doctor Logan and Day he's here is our playing already? We have Jack the husband from season The Witch. That's brew Baker even down to like it's wild, like Michael Gornick is one of the crazies. He did the director of photography for a lot of Romero's films, and he directed Creep Show two. Uh, and then we also have Cata Zone. We're going to be an animator. He actually tied at the school I graduated from, and he did all the animation for Creep Show and Evil Dead too. It's like all the stuff you love in Creep Show, the cartoons and stuff. That's all the animators. Two guys from Pittsburgh.
Speaker 1: I love Creep Show too.
Speaker 2: I do too. I didn't like it as a kid, and now I think I kind of prefer it in a weird way.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't go that far, but.
Speaker 2: Really no, because Creep Show has those like a knockouts where everything is like super Neon and like, this is a podcast, so visually I am showing what Ted Danson looks like when he gets caught by Leslie Nielson. But it's like very in your face, and I'm like, fuck, creep Show's good.
Speaker 1: I love creep not so much on that Stephen King Jordie Verel story. Yeah, but that's always always skip it. Yeah, but maybe I'm like it more than now. I don't think I would, but you know Father's Day. When we're recording this day, it is Father's Day weekend. Yeah, so I have your cake. I onto my cake.
Speaker 2: On our video show we actually did. There's a remix that starts the show of like disco e lounge music and the and Ed Harris dancing from that scene, Like his dancing is amazing. What's the thing. The thing that's great about Creep Show is like any good portmanteau, you know, the movie with with movies within movies is like there's at least three or four that are fucking killer, right, Like the thing in the crate is amazing. The bugs at the end, like them coming out of spoiler it's for for forty year old movie. Eg Marshall's mouth, Like there's so much good ship in it that you're kind of forgiving that. Jody Vero is very depressing and takes forever like that's probably why I don't like this story. It is depressing Versus I want to see Fluffy come out of the crate and just white people out like it's shit. It's awesome, that's what people we're here for.
Speaker 1: I love the crate. This is turning into the creep Show podcast. Oh, I know, but it's okay, is Romero is we can connect. But I think it doesn't feel very Romero to me. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's because it's such an easy comics uh pistiche right that it feels like a comic book versus like tell Us from the Dark Side, which is in the Romero verse because he produced it, wrote a lot of the episodes, and the movie I think is kind of like what feels more Romero than Creep Show does because he's not aping like a look or feel you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess just from the previous Romero films, it's lacking any sort of social commentary at all. I think Creep Show, I guess. I guess you could put some.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh that's the second one with the what's Yeah, I don't know. That's why I like it. And I also like that a lot of the nobody in it is really innocent in the same way that happens in easy comics. Like yeah, ted Danson's sleeping around and h cheating with Leslie Nielsen's wife, but he's also a horrible person too, but like so when but it's like the story is so simple, right, Like they cheaters get caught, but you know what they had true love, So they come back as swamp monsters and kill the guy and it's like, man, it's it's and it flies. So even if you hate one of the stories, you're like, cool, let's move next one. When Creep Show three came out, it's probably the maddest I had been until I eventually got a real job and they like moved on and had real problems. I was like, sure, three, no.
Speaker 1: But but I haven't. Part of me was like the completionist part of me says, you need to watch this, and the rational aside of me says, no, you do well.
Speaker 2: Two has the raft, which is I will, especially around here there's a lot of areas because swimming there's still steel mill junk in it, do you know what I mean? So it's bad. So I know where Rimro got that. But the older I get, the more that I love the old Chief wooden Head story because like when I was younger, I saw myself, as you know, the Native Americans trying to get a town or like the other people to now I'm older. I'm like, I'm one hundred percent Geards Kennedy. I'm exhausted. I just want to finish work and get these kids out of my store.
Speaker 1: We might talk more about creep shouting next episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, awesome, But back back to the crazies. There's some people that went on to stuff in this. Roger Aaron Brown was in Action Jackson and Lane Carroll was in Hercules in New York and Motorcycle. Okay better, but uh yeah, so I have some facts, some Rometo facts about this. Let's see. Some people consider Nightmare at Noon and Mutant remakes of this movie. I don't think so. Like, I don't feel like they're remakes of this. They're just movies about infection from the government.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen. I haven't seen either one of those same.
Speaker 2: It's not bad if you like wings Hauser and who doesn't. Right, No, Hollywood Sun people were using this movie no shit, licensed firework professionals. I know where they're from from, Zembelly Fireworks and Newcastle handled all the action sequence. Would you let a fireworks person put a squib on you and blow it up off your chest?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Knowing what I know now they blow up their factory every five or six years, like I'm not going to trust them to put like what could be the thing that kills me on my chest?
Speaker 1: Was this budget or squibs?
Speaker 2: This is the budget for this was out of control? That should be a thing we check at the end, like what was the squib or swim? The screenplay was read by Lee Hessel, who owned Campus Films, and Rameiro had made There's Always Van l with him. He had expressed interest and offered to finance it, but only if he'd be willing to have the most important thing in the screenplay. He won the military in it, and that happened sooner than Ramera wanted. He made this for don't ever believe what they tell you on bud just about a little under three hundred thousand. But Campus is super interesting to me because they released some wild movies including Aroused, the Deadly Organ, which is incredible, Sappho, Darling, Anita, Cry Uncle, all four Ulsa movies, Vampire Like. They really put out art movies, as they say, you know.
Speaker 1: And Ilsa is an art movie. Yeah, I think so the first one. I've only seen the first one.
Speaker 2: Oh well it's too Yeah, you would say that, of course. Yeah. The closing credit song Heaven Help Us is by Beverly Bremmers, but it was the first record a song ever written by Melissa Manchester, who wrote it alongside Carol bay Or Sager. So some Tim ban ally writers like, I wonder where they're going to use my song. It's an operation Trinsy, good name, Trisy.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the remakey, what did you think about that?
Speaker 2: They shot it in Pittsburgh? Okay, so that's good, right, Okay, I guess, ok okay, you're more interested in what I do, and then I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's that sounds good. I had seen the remake first, so i'd seen that soon after it came out, and I thought it was okay. I thought it was decent, and at that time I rewatched it now and I did not care for it as much. It just didn't have a lot of joy in it. And it feels very twenty ten. It's not interested in any sort of social commentary.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 1: You know, it does have the sheriff as the main character, and it puts the you know, the sheriff and the citizens more at the center of the film than any sort of government can or bureaucracy or malfeasance or what have you. I did like that we basically get the the mayor of Jaws in this movie and the remake crazy and they're like, we cannot turn the water off because there's planting season, so.
Speaker 2: Is it planning season or they also it's like, let's sleeping corpses lie that they have this machine in the field. One ball.
Speaker 1: And then the overall My my thought was it's kind of was the film that bridges the gap between something like twenty eight Days Later and The Walking Dead.
Speaker 2: That's genius. I agree with you, but I mean he also, yeah, there's a lot of Walking Dead that rips off movies because, uh, the one girl that's in it was just like Princess from one of the Bronx movies. So like there's a lot of like weird like, oh, he watched but that makes sense, you know. I'm sure the Raider grew up during the this is the Comic Book version, Yeah, during the same VHS era we did. I do like of the sequel, the sequel remake, whatever we want to call it, reimagining that Lynn Lowry's in it is a cameo. That's pretty cool. I'm happy to see here you get work in a bigger budget movie. But if you didn't see the original, I guess it's good. It's a twenty eight Days Later type, you know, infection story. It's not or contagion or outbreak. It feels like it came out around the time of those movies, so it's less, like you said, a social commentary movie and more just like, give me another one of these community just kind of a conspiracy thing.
Speaker 1: That post nine to eleven just not torture, but just kind of we're just gonna have horror for horror's sake.
Speaker 2: Do you think I did have a question about that having seen both, Like between the twenty ten remake had obviously much bigger production value, But do you think the polished book hurt the film? Like does it? Was that refernd the edges grit that makes I think that's what I like about the Crazies. Like you said, the other one's no fun. Even though this is a downer story, there is fun and it feels like edgy and it feels like you are there, and I don't feel like that with the sequel.
Speaker 1: I think the editing is really something we hadn't talked about, But the editing on The Crazies, the original The Romero Crazies is really gives it that frenetic pace, that need that the story needs, and that's not the case in that remake.
Speaker 2: This, it feels like in the way in the same way the twenty eight Days Later makes the infected or zobvious move faster. It's a different thing in this, Like the frenetic pace is such a difference to If you skip the movies two moves in between and watch Night and This, you can see that he's grown to do a lot of different things as a director and with his editors. And that's kind of what I like about The Crazies, like gets you know, it feels like it's it's very much like a pursuit stop movie versus being walled up in a house.
Speaker 1: You know, right, did Romero? How involved was he in editing? And because I know he was in writing, cinematography, editing, was he pretty heavily involved in these first several films?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 1: I know he was not a writer on There's Always Vanilla.
Speaker 2: I think that coming from the advertising world, he definitely was sitting in with But I also know that he shot tons of film, you know, and he was always like going way over, like his initial cuts are longer, so I imagine that he was really sitting in and trying. There may have been a point though, you know where he stepped out is you know sometimes that happens and you know because you're just like, I can't do it anymore. But yeah, he co wrote this with Paul McCollough, who he wrote with, and that guy did tons of music for the major ettes, Heartstopper, he edited a flash Eater. So he's like, when you see these names of Pear Mall movies, like people in Pittsburgh, if you've worked with somebody, you're had to work with him again here to bring them on, do you know what I mean. That's just the way that it works, especially within that industry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I watched some other movies in conjunction with this that I thought would work. Let's see what what do I want to start with. It's just a couple. I had both of them rewatches, and the genre Loans of the Grapes of Death was the first one.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to hear about that I had.
Speaker 1: I had seen it before, and I think what led me to the Crazies in the first place, was after watching The Grapes of Death and seeing a lot of reviews on letterbox where people were comparing the two, and you know, I definitely get it. There's it's environmental horror and there's something going on in the Great Fields in France and uh brigitt La Hayes in this movie. And I did not remember that. I did not know who she was whenever I watched it, so I probably first watched in twenty twenty one had no idea who she was. Now I do, And when she first comes on the scene on Grapes, I mean I think I audibly gasped, oh yeah, I was so taken aback you made.
Speaker 2: The noise I do. When Luna Romes shows up in You Were, I'm like, oh, Lena or Candy Coster, Uh, you know, that's can't help it. It's joy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I think if I were to pick, I want to definitely pair with I think I would I'd go with David Crounnenberg's Rabbit, just because it's more of the government response in the Canadian government response. Canada is like we're just gonna kill you, and you know, shoot them on site, like you know, there's no reason to keep these people a lot. They're not going to get better. Just kill them and save save the taxpayers money.
Speaker 2: And do it during Christmas, like I say it to sitting there, like just come in and go wild. Uh yeah, that's a that's a good double for this.
Speaker 1: And it has Marilynd Chambers walking around in a fur coat and right what Canadian City is that I can't remember making.
Speaker 2: I liked that this all is like plastic. Just the word of Crodenberg is amazing. I love when just to be in it for seconds at a time.
Speaker 1: So do you have any films that you think would go well with the crazies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nightmare City I think is a good one because it's.
Speaker 1: It's almost to see if I've seen that, because I get I get movies confused with like Nightmare Beach Nightmare City, and I love.
Speaker 2: Nightmare Beach maybe more well that that's a whole other show to talk about Tom Jackson, that movie. Imagine if somebody took the new, the somewhat nuanced ideas of Ramero in this movie and was like, what if we made the Italian version? And that's completely what it is. And at one point Savini was supposed to director remaking Nightmare City if people kick started it and stuff, and I was like, this doesn't feel like something that's going to happen. So I didn't kickstarter and it hasn't happened. But you know, I'm sad because I love I can't wait to hear what you think of this movie.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna prower it. I'm gonna add this to my wife.
Speaker 2: There is an aerobic scene in that movie that is fucking insane. Like there also probably the best dummy drop in the history of dummy drops, Oh okay is in that movie. Like, when you see it, you'll know it won't be a surprise. You'll be like, and also it's also a moment where you're like, I did not expect that to happen in a very significant way that doesn't happen in other movies. That's my only spoilers for a Night Mercy. I God of love that movie. I'm so excited. I wish I had never seen it so I could see it again for the first time. That's how much I love that movie, right. I brought in some all titles for this movie too, I thought would be helpful because I like how the rest of the world sees it. In Brazil it was called the Extermination Army. Okay, that that makes sense right. In Finland Taste of Death or all infected will be destroyed, which sounds like like you'll notice by the trail of the Dead cover band. In France it was either called Experiment two thousand, which dig it or not living Heuristic. Yeah, well there's another really futuristic one coming, not Eve Living mad Men. Yeah, but Quarantine the Sky Rain Death. That's from Greece Italy. The city will be destroyed at dawn. That's that's a fucking great title, is what that is?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: In Mexico is called Collapse brutal Extermination. In Portugal, war on the Virus of Madness. But only Canada could come up with the best title, Cosmos eight five, eight nine or eight five by. When I read that, I was like Jesus Christ, I would go see that movie in a fucking heartbeat, because it sounds like what am I going to see? Like, I have no idea.
Speaker 1: I wonder how I played in any other country.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it were crazy, that's what they thought. Probably. I have a couple questions that I came up with for this, and I thought it would be interesting to discuss. One is you know, Ramero like really leans heavily into the post Vietnam and Watergate cynicism here. Do you think the faceless military portrayal on this movie was the critique of government incompetence or that they're not incompetent, that they're just like you said, outright horrible two people.
Speaker 1: It's probably not deliberately incompetent. I don't know, it can be both. I guess you can be incompetent and malicious at the same time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also, like you said, he gives that the one guy does tell what the little girl get her toy? Yeah, that it's not there are some shades of gray in between what he's showing. I think too, it's interesting to like, whatever behavior you do against the government, if you don't comply, obviously, like you said, they can kill you because they're like, oh, well he's doing you know, he's violent and he's attacking authority, and he must have the virus. Did everybody that they kill have the virus? I'm good to say no, no, and yeah, yeah, if you the village to save it, as they.
Speaker 1: Say, right, that's what Well, that was the rationale, is that you would have to be insane to not let the government come in and handle this. If you're against what we're trying to do, then you obviously are infected and you know, insane, which is not the case just because you don't agree with what the government's doing.
Speaker 2: This is different than like why this isn't a zombie movie too, is like, uh, the line between the sane and the crazies is on both sides is really thin. And it's also like you could be you could start as a government person and then be infected right and then you're not on the right sideywhere. But if once you're if you're already the infected, you're stuck. Do you know what I mean? Like for your wife.
Speaker 1: I guess one last thing we did not talk about was the lady with the knitting needle. I'll have to talk about her.
Speaker 2: That picture was anytime you would see a picture of the crazies in fangoria or like in a book, they would put that in. As a kid, when I saw the trailer, you know, the TV commercial for this, I always thought, oh, that guy is trying to attack her that because he looks like a stormtrooper or like, do you know what I mean, like a creature and so whatever he like comes in, I'm like, oh no, but now when you see it, right, that seems amazing and just like how slow the blood comes out. It's so good.
Speaker 1: He's he's I'm from the government and I'm here to help. She's not buying it.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: At the end, when David hides his community, you know, he's like the last mystery of the town. Do you think that this movie ends with no hope or is there like a little bit of hope that something that I kind of go back and forth on after I watched it.
Speaker 1: Well, I did not find any hope, So maybe I would need to rewatch it to look at it that way, because I feel like he's they're never going to know that he has the immunity that they're looking for.
Speaker 2: It's funny because like it's I was just talking to Bill about a couple weeks, like last weekend about the you know, there's this unreleased, non edited and ending of don that's like, you know, the dark ending where you know, everybody killed, everybody dies or kills themselves, And I'm like, to me, that's like Romara's heart is even when things seem at they're worse in his movies, there's always a like but also this, you know, also these people got out or also this beat Mingham. That's why the main reason I well a lot of reasons, but that I hate the remake of Down because even though they get out, there's like a zombies on the island and they're screwed again, like there's no hope, Like I don't know, maybe it's the Catholic, do you know what I mean? Like that, Like I'm like I would like there to be like, Okay, everybody can die and I'm fine with it, but like maybe one person gets out, like or maybe something happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so that's the craziest anything else you have on that?
Speaker 2: No would you ask? Yeah? So if if someone said you should I watch this, did you say yes or no?
Speaker 1: Yes? I would say definitely yes, especially I think people will get more out of it in the post COVID world then maybe they would have beforehand.
Speaker 2: This made me also reevaluate as I watched it. I'm so like, if you watch Romero post day or now, I'd say post let's say post Creep Show two, it's there, aren't that many good ones, like I don't like Monkey Shines. There's a few other ones I don't like. And it's like so growing up in that era, I was like always let down that he wasn't making like movies as good as Dawn. But now that I'm older and I know, like you know how long you work at a job, and that's tired. Hit, Like I've really was unfair on Romero. If he only made Night, he would be incredible, you know what I mean, Like if he only made Night Dawn and I would say Season of the Witch. This movie Martin's my favorite of his movies. But it's like Man in the same way people I call where Ghente fell off, Like no, these dudes had heavy Not many directors get like eight great movies like eight with the top of the live movies. What was I think, like the sixteen year old meet that in so and that like Jerky that I was like Georgia Merrick co On, if I could reinvent the world every time you made your movie. What a pressure to put on a man. He made creep Show. That's good enough, young Sam, good enough. Let him go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking forward to more, and we'll have more RAMERI talk when we get to Martin, which.
Speaker 2: I again I have you have not Stan.
Speaker 1: No, I'm gonna wait until we cover it here.
Speaker 4: So this is all I'm gonna fly down to your house and watch it with This is all up to you, and you were ready to talk about it. I will be watching it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. I do you know how excited I am for someone to not have seen Martin to experience it for the first time. Oh my god, that is amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, what we will be talking about next time is when we have talked about it already, as I Drink Your Blood and that maybe I don't know, we'll see I would say it's could it be my favorite film in this book? I don't know. Maybe it is definitely up there, and I've rewatched it and I loved it just as much the second time. But we do have the connection. Again, Lynn Lowry is in I Drink Your Blood. She was in this one. And there was another connection I thought of is that both films have a scene where someone sets themselves on fire.
Speaker 2: I have a spoiler for next week, though, I would say the first minute and a half of I Drink Your Blood are the greatest thing to ever happened to ever be filmed? Like when there are and he's like, Satan is an acid out. I was the first time I saw it was like Jesus christis movie is everything like it hasn't even started yet, and I love everything about this movie. It's such a visceral love. So yeah, spoiler, we're both good to like gush over probably the next week's movie. I think these movies. Is this like you know how in old DC comics when you had Earth one or two? Earth two is just kind of different, right, Will next week's movie be the Earth too version of this week? Not this week's but this episode, I should say, this episode's movie. It feels like, yeah, they both have man lowery. They both have something said on fire like the people going insane and out of there. They do not have kids wacky high jinks with his dog meat Pie injecting. That is the craziest idea that starts other engraves of death. Both of those are like crazy, like we've run out of ideas for zombie movies. What if it was infected? So there's not one vegan in that groupoil next week?
Speaker 1: No, someone didn't, Well, well we'll talk about it. We'll talk about Okay, So I don't know if he was a vegan, just.
Speaker 2: That would be that would be the modern twenty if they made the twenty eleven remake it was too dark to see a staying music in it. Yeah, that's that would happen in that.
Speaker 1: So join us next time for Drink Your Blood. And I guess we should try to plug something. I did send that first episode down there, like you know, like honest suggests you plug the things that you have before you sign off. So I have absolutely nothing other than this podcast and my letter boxed account, which is as hearsy, and you never know, sometimes I pop up writing for Sam Side. I wish I had more time to do that lately. Chattanooga Film festivals coming up, and I would love to write some stuff about that, but I just I don't know if that's so, if I'm gonna have time for it.
Speaker 2: I can't. That's my favorite festival of the year, mind you. It's because they make it's such a great experience of like the appworks and like better than huge fests, and like the Midnight Movie every the Mystery or The Red Eye. The Red Eye.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've watched so much The Divine enforcer, obsession, a taste of fear. These were things that it might.
Speaker 2: Be my favorite.
Speaker 1: Jolly well, it has a what's the needle drop?
Speaker 3: In that?
Speaker 2: Oh, there's Huey Lewis? Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 4: He?
Speaker 2: In that one?
Speaker 1: There's another? No, it's like, uh, I think Midnight.
Speaker 2: Bye Yeah by Byfferent Foreigner. Yeah, Lewis is in uh too Beautiful to Die? Uh stuck on news, in which I was like, what I don't like when recognizable music is in my Jolley right, and it's always like kid Creole and the Coconuts in those movies, or like, uh, hey, here's a late Chicago Post Peter Sara song that Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, okay, so what do you have to plug? Maybe you're gonna talk about Chattanooga Film Festival on your site.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be doing Chattanooga Film Festival, I say too, And I can't wait. I really should have just called off from work, but again I'll do what I always do, just watch too many movies, h okay, and being spot movies is where you go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, ns men, or you're hearing her on Instagram and all the everything, everything.
Speaker 2: Other than my Facebook, because my Facebook's always been in my name, but people even on Facebook or the kids listening.
Speaker 1: My wife is on there. That's when I'm on there because she'll send me stuff on Messenger as how she can. That's how she communicates with me. Social media wized, So can you join a different social media so I can just leave Facebook?
Speaker 2: I agree with you if there was another social media that allows you to easily send invites when you want people to come over and do something, and told you people's birthdays. These are both incredible things because I I would not know what people's birthdays are, so having them on Facebook, there has to be a better tech doing this. Like it's like, hey, I hate everything else about Imagine if you were a kid and they said there's gonna be this thing that you're gonna fucking hate and then people kill themselves over cool. But y'all know what people's birthdays are, right, Mike, you know what? Sign me up? Right?
Speaker 1: All right? Join us next time for I drink your blood by y'all, see, I've got another If you like, no, no, no, thank you.
Speaker 3: I I'm just going to get out right here,