Speaker 1: Don't you latte sipping leeches?
Speaker 2: Understand they've seen enough of these Hollywood super hunks. We need a don't be unappealing loser and every man.
Speaker 3: Can you help me out any change for a dollar? Oh? I also need a dollar?
Speaker 4: You are acceptable?
Speaker 3: Ray? Do you want to see me naked?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: There's no nudity in this movie?
Speaker 1: What movie?
Speaker 3: Four Finger Discount?
Speaker 1: Dude, Welcome to four Finger Discount where today we're gonna be kicking off season twenty one of the show. We're gonna be reviewing Homer and the Whopper.
Speaker 4: I'm Dando and I am guy. Nice to be here for season twenty one. Can you believe we've made it this?
Speaker 1: I actually can't believe it. We've been doing this show now for ten years. Fourth Finger Discounts have been on the air for ten and a half years, season twenty one of the show. I had no idea'd last this long doing the show. And now we're getting incredible guest stars coming on to review the episodes with us as well.
Speaker 4: We really are. Yeah. Yes, we've had comedians, We've had authors and that's it plenty.
Speaker 1: We feel like comedians are the best guests for podcasts. It's just it's their domain these days. I think podcasts would know.
Speaker 4: We say this, will all do respect to the author that we had on No. No, We've had terrific guests so far.
Speaker 1: It works for a funny, it works for a placket does podcasts as well. So you know that's correct.
Speaker 4: He knows, he knows the drill.
Speaker 1: Mellan Siegel. Yes, the ringer.
Speaker 4: You've gone through your rolodex, you've gone through your folder, and you've been hassling people. We've been sliding into dms every day. I'm hustling every day, you're hustling. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the new format here at Fourth Finger Discount is basically we're going to be as I just meet my phone is. We're going to be doing season twenty one as we usually do, and then we're going to be getting either bi weekly at least once a month, but I'm thinking maybe bi weekly doing the classic reviews, but with guests. And you would have known. Last week we had Tom Wikimon, comedian Nina Oyama. She came on to review scenes of the class struggle in Springfield. That's going to be coming up in your feeds. We've got people like Ed Cavalley coming on. Yes, I'm surprised. I want to leak them all, but there's just some of the names that are coming up on four figured this game.
Speaker 4: Please don't leak. And also, is this just an excuse not to talk about season twenty one?
Speaker 1: No, it's not at all. It's I found honestly, it's just the way it's going to work is that you look at the stats and people are less interested in listening to season twenty one reviews as are the classic ones. And that just makes sense. We grew up in the classic ones. We love the classic ones. But I just want to something different, you know, as good as as good as it's like you and I bantering with that chemistry, It's like, let's get guests on. I want to hear what other people think about the Simpsons as well.
Speaker 4: The great thing is about science. The great thinking about chemistry is the more elements you add, the more interesting it becomes. Yeah, so that's true. That's true. Sorry, I'm just checking my phone is on mute as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, is it? It was? It was okay cool? Yeah, but yeah, as I said, we're here to review Homer the Whopper. You were saying to me a couple of days ago that you did not like this one, or you actually messed me last night saying it is just shit. It just me it was his shit, and I was like, I don't think it was shit. I watched him bet a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was all right.
Speaker 4: And everything's better when you're in bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, Yeah, and then I rewatching it again today taking my notes, and yeah, I thought it was fine. There's for a season premiere. It did its job. I like that, even though because this was written by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, exactly right, And I just thought that I'm glad that even though he was a voice in the episode, they didn't incorporate or set didn't incorporate himself as a as a person into the episode, because apparently they're massive fanboys that just recently made Super Bad. Symptons were big fans are super Bad. He was working on The Green Hornet at the time when he was writing this episode, and he just thought, well, hey, Ricky Gervais was able to write an episode and be in it, maybe I can do so as well, which I think is a little bit like a bit of a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're like a movie that they probably watched Take My Wife Please or whatever time episode was, Well, we can certainly do better than this.
Speaker 1: Well, I live by the motto of the worst I can say is no. So I figured, if you've got the opportunity to ask, and I just think this walking on saying can I write an episode just seems like not as Hey, can I be involved in some way? Can I write an episode? Please?
Speaker 4: It does help. If you are the writers of super Bad, probably the best teen comedy of the twenty first century, you reckon, Oh yeah, I'll stand by that.
Speaker 1: Well, they don't make them anymore. That's the problem writers these days. They have the opportunity to create the next one. That is true, they still make them. They're a little more under the radar, but not on the level is super Bad, not as widely distributed and widely seene this suddenly super Bad. But even putting that aside, Soper bad really really good movie.
Speaker 4: James L. Brooks thought so as well. I understand he was a fan or he admired it. So he listened to Seth and Evan. So yeah, by man is coming to the writer's room throws some ideas around. See what happens? What happened? They got to write an episode.
Speaker 1: To episode several stories and they're like no, no, no, no, no, this one they approved.
Speaker 4: That's this one they approved of. And it's good that you mentioned. Yes, Seth also voices a character in this. I think one thing that the Sting wishes his performance in this and their role in this from the aforementioned Ricky devays is that when Ricky did his bit or Mate did his guest appearance, he was basically David Brent. He's just been the office. Yeah, there was no variation or anything like that. Whereas you recognize Seth Rogan's voice when you know the second year, it's very very distinctive. But yeah, he's not doing the traditional Seth Rogan stuff. I mean, this was very much in the phase of or very much in the era of Pineapple Express. Yeah, it's the time when Seth Rogan was what we traditionally think of a Seth rogen kind of the getting high manchild kind of deal.
Speaker 1: That was just him from the get go. Right, Yeah, he's not really that anymore. No, he's very much a power player in Hollywood. He's very much sort of a ya, pivotal power player. But in this he's playing this personal trainer. He's got Seth's traditional good comic timing, good comic delivery, all that stuff. But yeah, he's not the No, No, he's not. Yeah, replaying the character that he was best known for. I think I really liked him in Knocked Up.
Speaker 4: He's very good knocked Up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, super relatable.
Speaker 4: I've got a bit of time for Seth Rogen as an actor and a creative person. He's done, yeah, roles that are not comedic. I mean, he's in Steve Jobs, the movie about the legendary founder of Apple or creator of Apple products. He plays like Steve wisney Ack. And that was a really good performance. I mean, and he's up again. People like Kate Winslet, Michael Faspener, very good actor. He's in The Fableman's, the Steven Spielberg movie, giving a legitimately good dramatic performance. He's a solid dude, solid creative dude.
Speaker 1: He's the man behind the upcoming reboot of Dark Wing Duck Well.
Speaker 4: He does like his popular culture stuff. I mean, I think we were talking about this earlier. He rebooted Teenage Mint Nindaturd.
Speaker 1: Boy, did he Yeah, he's behind the Boys, He's behind Preacher.
Speaker 4: He's got the show on Apple TV called the Studio. That's very, very popular and attracted a lot of great talent to it. Man, dude knows this stuff.
Speaker 1: But this this episode here, Home of the Whopper. As I say, I enjoyed it for the most part. I've met it no secret on this podcast. And I'm not the biggest superhero guy, you know. I've just never I liked Batman Forever and Batman Returns and Batman was the other Batman Robin. I like those movies. Yes, I've just never been a big comic book guy superhero guy. And then when they started making all these MCU films, it was like I just could not give a shit. I know they're huge, but I just don't give a shit. Right, I'm glad that people are finally starting to have burnout and we're moving on from superhero movies. This one here, I've read that it was meant to be sort of a parody of the way superhero movies have ruined in Hollywood at that point in time, and I'm like, but were they? Were they the biggest thing in the world. Well, this is two thousand and nine, okay, So MCU was just down together. It was two thousand and eight, wasn't it Okay?
Speaker 4: Well, you coming off two thousand and eight big year in terms of like iman big hit, everyone loves our DJs as that was a big one. But also that year was Dark Knight, and everyone's kind of looking at that as like, well, comic book movies, the net just be kids in he moo it. Everyone's looking at what this is a legitimately good movie. Dark Knight is pretty good. It's pretty good movie. But I think, yeah, a lot of people are looking at that being the pivot point of like, yeah, you can actually make huge blockbuses that are also artistically credible. It felt like a real seed change in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: Call me in the minority. Christopher Nolan did more damage to the superhero genre than anyone else in the history of superhero films. Like everything has to be fucking sad and gloomy because of Christopher Nolan. Great movies, but everyone tried to copy it after that.
Speaker 4: That's the thing. Yes, everyone's sort of jumping on the bandwagon after that. I would say Zack Snyder has probably caused more damage because he tried because Nolan did. That's the thing. He did the same thing tonally, but he didn't have the intelligence that Christopher Nolan had.
Speaker 1: But if no one didn't do what he did. And granted they were good, they were great films. Do I ever want to revisit them? Probably not, But like they were great at the time, he got Heath Legend, that Oscar that he was looking for, it just ruined. It ruined the genre for me. Granted the MCU didn't really go down that path. It's more DC.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm inclined to say that the mc you may have done more damage in terms of everyone. Everything has to be connected. Yeah, yeah, you can't just have sort of standalone movies.
Speaker 1: Now I can get the true Yeah, I think that. I think that's probably more damaged. And I'm all for having sequels and that's continuing your story. They don't have the Spider Man films be connected to the fucking other films I am man.
Speaker 4: And that's why it's sort of falling apart. Now, that was lightning in a bottle. I mean, I'll give Kevin Fagey's props and all the creative team who put all that shit together and made it work the way I did. They should have either stopped well, they shouldn't have stopped.
Speaker 1: Completely the Seinfeld model though, Yeah, go out when you're on top, try something different, take a break, to take a break. We keep doing this film, but don't trying and say, oh, we're still part of this is still part of the MC is just the next name.
Speaker 4: Just make it good, just reboot, just like start over.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because if you'd ended it endgame, people would have gone, whoa, yeah, what an ending. And now it's just gonna like everything's tainted as a result. It's a shame. But yeah, as you mentioned, even Seth Throgan was getting in on the game.
Speaker 1: The Green Hornet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Green Hornet was a character that had been around for ages.
Speaker 1: What is the Green Hornet.
Speaker 4: Well, he's basically a knockoff Batman in terms of like he I think Green hornets alter ego is like this big city socialite type wants to fight crime. He's not that well known. I don't know that much about his backstory, but I know that he does have an Asian sidekick who basically does a lot of the heavy lifting. There was a TV series about the Green Hornet back in the late sixties. The reason anyone talks about it is because Bruce Lee played, is he really yeah, wow, okay, your green Hornet.
Speaker 1: You got Kato, and Kato is his sort of when they're in their secret identities or whatever, he's kind of like his man servant or his valet or something. But he's also yeah, it's his martial arts kick very much. Except yeah, I mean, I can't for the life of me remember who played the green Hornet in the TV series. But it was like, we don't give a fuck about that guy. Look at this Bruce Lee character. Holy shite.
Speaker 4: So but he was very much sorry.
Speaker 1: He was similar to what he was going through because they were telling him to lose weight for the film.
Speaker 4: That'st thing. Yeah, Seth Rogan. That was generally regarded as, oh, yeah, it'll smoke a jay and eed a cheezburger, and that's what a guy who lives that kind of lifestyle looks like. We can have that when you're you're gonna be the green HUINNI don't know why I put that voice on, but yeah, So they made him hit the gym and all that kind of stuff. But they make everybody hit the gym even though you don't really need to.
Speaker 1: I disagree.
Speaker 4: There was there were so many characters, so many superhero characters who don't have to take their shirts up. I want to run one particular instance by you. Are you familiar with the MCU movie The Eternals or I haven't watched you know what it is? Yeah? No, that's that's This one had Summerhig Angelia and Jolie, Richard Madden from Game of Thrones, and a comic actor nam Kamal Nanjiani. He was the cover of Men's Health not long after he was announced that he's in the Eternals looking fucking jack but also just looking like I don't believe that's I think you might have had a little pharmaceutical help with that, and you've had a lot of people behind the scenes say yeah, everyone gets roided up to do this. He doesn't take your shirt off at any stage during that During that thing, he doesn't need to be as built as he is.
Speaker 1: Does, but does he look built and strong even with his shirt on though well he's.
Speaker 4: Wearing he's not wearing anything that's form fitting or anything like that. I mean you you can sort of tell in his face that these jawel lines a little more pronounced, and he's got cheap bones and things like that, but.
Speaker 1: Does the hero that he's portraying in the comic.
Speaker 4: Doesn't even really do anything like lift a planet or even lift anything all that heavy.
Speaker 1: I still ideas there's an image that's expected for superheroes, and if you want to play that role, then you've got to look. You gotta look. Oh certain, look, I'm buying into that mantra.
Speaker 4: I think in the cases of the let's talk about the NCU. I think in the case of Chris Evans's Captain America, of course in it, because yeah, he's a ninety eight pound winkling or something. He comes, he takes a super serum, comes out of the machine. Holy moly, look at that. I mean, once an agent, Carter just can't get a hands off him. And Thor's thought, so Hamsworth has to look like it was already in pretty good shape. But you know, I don't think Ruffalo hit the gym all that much. RDJ was apparently it was never a superhero. Bristband wasn't super hull. That's a good point. Yeah, I think r DJ, you didn't really see him with his shirt of all that much, but it was clear that he'd been hitting the gym as well.
Speaker 1: He didn't really look jacked, looked lent h.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, apparently Seth. They were like bulk up man. Yeah yeah, even though in The Green Horn, at the best of my reaction, because I watched it once and they've watched it again, appears in some well tailored suits, but yeah, yeah, you don't have the sort of hero shot of him sort of walking around with his shirt. It was like, wow, Seth's got abs.
Speaker 1: Anything with the green in it, I've never seen. I've just heard it's terrible Greenhorn. I've heard it's not good, the Green Lent, and I've heard it's horrific.
Speaker 4: Green Land's not great.
Speaker 1: Which I was disappointed for because I was a big Ryan Reynolds fan when I was a kid, because I love two guys again Pizza Play Smart and another. I just just enjoyed his style of comedy. And then I saw him as the green Land and I was like superhero though, yeah, not buying. And then of course he works for Deadpool, not because he comes across a superhero, because he's a smart ass. Well that's the works.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I haven't read any Deadpool comics, so I mean, I don't know how close as Deadpool become more Ryan Reynolds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Deadpool was a wise ass de wise Yeah, but that brand as he tailored it more to the Ryan Reynolds kind of smart and stick. Oh no, they are a match made in heaven. They really were. Yeah, it just starts the line. But yeah, but this best episode, he is more focusing on Homer's forced he gets cast as every man. A new superhero movie has just been created, which was written by comic book guy. Yeah, he's been written writing comics for all these years. He can'ts Homer as the as leading role. I did like that.
Speaker 4: Well, he wants an every man as everything as every.
Speaker 1: Man, and it makes sense because you know, that's the idea of it. He's meant to be an everything. But the thing is in the comics, though, doesn't he He looks fat and then he becomes every man. He's fit.
Speaker 4: I don't think he is, That's the thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, I thought that bank robbery scene was he No, no, he was still He's still the same but the same. Okay, Yeah, he's.
Speaker 4: In his every man costume, but still he's still around, still around, Yeah okay, but and even when he touches the Iron Man comic, because every Man's powers is he touches the comic book and he can take on the power of that of that comic books. So he touches an Iron Man comic, he gets a suit of armor instantly, but it's a fat suit of armor.
Speaker 1: It actually was a good, believable way to get Homer cast into the role of a superhero. Sure, because that makes sense. He's every man, right, and comic book guy is the one that cast him, you know, and hope it was good at his role. He was good. He had everything going for me. He had a guy who was helping him lose weight, Marge fandim more attractive now, which will touch on in a few moments as well. Everything was going well for him, and I think it was really relatable because what was his library? He says, just swallowing my frustrations and disappointments.
Speaker 4: We've all been there, Oh my goodness, yes, oh yeah, we've all been comforted is it one time? Yeah? Comfort consumers? Yeah.
Speaker 1: Or we go on a diet and we lose some weight and it's like you get tempted by the cheese on the tables the party. You're like, just what's one block going to do? And then you start you feel and you're.
Speaker 4: Like, the tiny cubes even has cheap days.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, So I just thought it was pretty relatable in this Schwartzenegger exactly right. Yes, I thought he was. Yeah, they did a good job of making a home to come across as sympathetic. Yeah, and I'm glad they didn't touch too much on the Marge story where she found him more sexually appealing and whatnot, cause I just think it made her come across quite that's the word superficial, a little shallow. But you know, but that's believable as well, because you just we're humans, man, we're animals, and if your partner looks like that, of course he's gonna find them more sexually attracted. Yeah, it's good though. Do you think there was a story there where maybe Marge was disappointed that he gained weight again and they cut it because because she just got knocked out by the button she goes. I think if you just gained a little bit of weight and then he was just like bloot wing win win, and that was it. We never see Marge again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: I felt like there's like that story didn't get a proper end.
Speaker 4: I don't think it was all that well developed to begin with, and all honestly, I mean, I don't think they were playing I don't.
Speaker 1: Think the whole ending was pretty rushed.
Speaker 4: Really, oh goodness, I don't think Rogan and Goldberg that seth Th and Evan were I think they were prioritizing gags more than they were character development in a lot of those situations. Certainly with the rest of the Simpsons family.
Speaker 1: There definitely need to be more comic book guy as well, because they showed him he's Hollywood now and he had the camp orphan and whatnot, and it doesn't appear to the end.
Speaker 4: All that stuff. That felt kind of one note to me him the orphan, all the all the comic book guys stuff has gone Hollywood stuff. I didn't find it all that insightful or insightfule.
Speaker 1: What were they trying to say with this episode?
Speaker 4: I have no idea. I mean, I look, I probably get some idea. Well, we'll work it out as we discuss it, but I don't know that. I just had it like South Park did it better with Awesome when they were talking about we can't we've got good ideas, we're smoke people should be but really, you just want to churn out two hundred Adams Sandler movies because you know that's the thing that's going.
Speaker 1: To make money. Well, there was one part here where I thought it was just so forced and bland and shit. Was when the executive calls his signing and guess what's that comic book got? It's only the coolest comic book in the world, Dad, And I was like, oh my god, this is so lazy.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, even before that, were they're talking about, oh, okay, what can we make a big summer franchise movie out of a garage door? Opener's car keys.
Speaker 1: Should be a question?
Speaker 4: Gone there we go?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it was car keys and or something else.
Speaker 4: I can't remember the others. I'm pretty sure I got one car Keys was in there. I don't. I think I got the other one wrong.
Speaker 1: My favorite favorite moments in the episode.
Speaker 4: This is not so much about the episode as more an alternative life for Guy, but imagine running a comic book store. And I liked the little montage of the three comic book stores. I think one was called Odin's Cave or something like that.
Speaker 1: It's like I was Odins something.
Speaker 4: Something of something. This isn't. Wasn't even when I was growing up in Gelomba for a while there, but certainly when I was a young teenager, you know, if you wanted comic books, he had to had to go to Melbourne, you know, and there was a shop, Minutetaur that had that kind of thing. I remember the first time I saw it, and.
Speaker 1: It was in like it's pretty expensive now, oh, I'm.
Speaker 4: Sure it is. The First time I saw it, that was a tiny store in a little.
Speaker 1: Arcade, so it wasn't down the escalator like it is now.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, they had three different locations. I think the first time I found it was almost by accident. And I'm I'm recycling a line from when we spoke.
Speaker 1: With Mania when I was the trading cards.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but Discovery I felt like fucking Indian the Jones. It was like, wait, everything I've ever wanted, Are you telling me that it's just do with the gestos canic books? Yeah? I was. It was wild. Then in my late teenage years, Minotaur opened a store in Geelong.
Speaker 1: I was like, really Geelong, Yeah it was.
Speaker 4: It was in Marble.
Speaker 1: Straight where I think there's like a place then, which which part is very locals.
Speaker 4: Between Rory and Little Mallopa in the middle. Yeah yeah, yeah, wow. On the on the left hand side is you're heading down to the water.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so very much near where pop culture used to be. Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And was it just where pop culture used to be? No, no, it was about it was a two or three doors up.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's all wow wow. You know, I have no memories of that.
Speaker 4: And I think it did okay for a couple of years, but you know, Geelong didn't have a sort of geeky enough population would do well now to sustain it. Yeah. But then there was another little store that opened up that did comic books and sci fi you know, paperbacks and all that kind of stuff. And it was near where the Village cinema. It's almost on the corner.
Speaker 1: You know, there's the Macas, I mean, the Italian like tattooist place.
Speaker 4: That it's misstaffers. Now. I think it's that's.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, you always talking about across the road that you didn't It's like says Barber, but there's a lot of old Italians in here just playing cards all right.
Speaker 4: Used to be above that. That was great. I love that, but but it was a tiny place, but it was like wall to War with books and comic books and just nerd a theme around. I'm like, this is what I'd loved.
Speaker 1: What a location too for like near the movies.
Speaker 4: And absolutely I'd love to just have this. This is the place I'd love to run. You know, I'd probably sell like two books a day, two books a week, like thank you love it.
Speaker 1: Even though one of my favorite moments was running the comic book store. Customers, how I hate them?
Speaker 4: That's the thing probably you wan to base.
Speaker 1: Hit you just he's just trying to customers how I hate them.
Speaker 4: But I just like I liked a little bit with just all these comic books, and you felt the affection that I guess Rogan and Goldberg had for those kinds of things. They seem like happy places, and the people who ran them seem like.
Speaker 1: We all know it is. We all have fond memories of being there as a kid. So it just reminds us of those that feeling, like you said, seeing being Indiana Jones and discovering like the gem. Right, that's that's that's the film that store brings back to you. So that those stores though, that is they bring happiness. Absolutely it's just it's just everything you want under one roof. Speaking of happiness. This may be one of my favorite Homer gags in a while, right the yo yo diet, I've got yo yo heart doge man.
Speaker 4: That's great. You don't get it, you don't, you don't know what you mean.
Speaker 1: Your heart man. I did not see that coming that. I've never heard that joke before.
Speaker 4: I've got to give yeah, I'll give seth And even there problems like did some really good just traditional sitcom gags right here? That was one of them. And something else I liked was when Homer came into the audition. It's like I need change for dollar, also need a.
Speaker 1: That's classic.
Speaker 4: That's classic.
Speaker 1: So yeah, very much, yo dog man.
Speaker 4: I thought this is a really good visual gag as well, when Homer drinks the ancient but silence and the silent puke expedience, the sound much better without the sound work better without the sound. That was well done. I thought that was great. There are other things that I like, but I think I'm going to talk about them throughout the My final.
Speaker 1: One is just when Bart pokes the bear and just coming book guys, rage over this spider Man, what do you mean just I think I just find Coming Book Guys so much more funny, and now the order I get, It's just it's so relatable with him going to rest on the unused whole can ends and left only because they were a huge thing, was a big deal. When two thousand and three came out, every kid had the Hohllecans. Absolutely, yeah, exactly. This show is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Sifould, the One About Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four finger Discount.
Speaker 3: Next question, you there eating the Beast?
Speaker 1: All right, trivia time hit me with your first question because you've taken my one of the.
Speaker 4: I've got a few here. What is the subtitle for Alvin and the Chipmunks three Getting Rabies correct? What is episode seven of Star Wars The Apology?
Speaker 1: The Apology? Yes, it was what two thousand and nine? So little they know what a six years later we'd have seven, you would have the apology. Yeah, yeah, the apology was it? Yeah? I think that is the we neat we still wait for that apology.
Speaker 4: The first time that Homer is in character as every Man, which villain? Has he just vanquished?
Speaker 1: When you in character days just vanquished somebody?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've started filming the movie and it's it's.
Speaker 1: Just because he's Captain America's patriotism and what Norman's boots? Yeah? Yeah, no, what is it?
Speaker 4: The character was called the Purple Pariah.
Speaker 1: Purple Pariah. Okay. My next question for you is how much is a mint condition first Spider Man, Well, amazing Fantasy number fifteen, it goes.
Speaker 4: For forty fourteen fourteen, okay for fourteen.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's forty forty or fourteen either way.
Speaker 4: How much was it initially though?
Speaker 1: Twelve cents? Yeah?
Speaker 4: What make is Krusty's fax machine?
Speaker 1: Obeama something? Omega? Omega? No, it's Amiga Amiga Okay, I think of Omega. And finally, for me, give me just one of the usernames that comic book guys Afraid that He's going to be mocked by.
Speaker 4: I could give you all three okay, sorry, that was more Jerry Lewis and comic book Son of Son of Spock. By the way, you dropped the ball their Disney Plus because they just put some.
Speaker 1: In Spock the credits in the subject. Yeah, as Ai for you.
Speaker 4: The Dork Night and I Killed Kenny six four seventy five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love the Did you always go.
Speaker 4: By like Brendanda or something like that?
Speaker 1: I always do Purple Monket dish Washer. I turned on the podcast, it was Purplemunket Dishwasher, and it was always underscore eighty nine because some motherfucker got so eighty eight people got it first, Oh my god, or either of that, or because I wanted. I wanted eighty eight because that's the year I was born and it was gone, so I'm assuming someone it must have go. It was purper Monket dishri was underscore eighty nine at hotmail dot com. That was my That was my email probably still exists, so it's an email.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my handle was Tommy five tone.
Speaker 1: Tommy five tone, what's that reference to?
Speaker 4: That's a character from Hudson Hawk, the Bruce Willis movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was it.
Speaker 4: That was his offsider.
Speaker 1: Is that still your email?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, that was my MSN messenger, a messenger yeah EMMSN. Well no, no, no, no, son. But it was MySpace as well.
Speaker 4: Well when I was in chat rooms and forums. Yes, I went by Tommy five to on the aim a cool news forums. Hain't it cool? On omber that which they actually sort of semi name checking this.
Speaker 1: It's my MySpace and MySpace is gone.
Speaker 4: Now that's a shame because I was on my space. Time took the money and ran.
Speaker 1: Good for him.
Speaker 4: My man, what a man.
Speaker 1: Right he got out and he is happy.
Speaker 4: He's oh yeah, man.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 4: I love that guy.
Speaker 1: We've never met him, but he was our first friend.
Speaker 4: If you're listening, come on board, man, yeah, come on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Absolutely champion. I just I just love the stories where the people just they make their money and they just get the fuck out. Yes, people say like they could have made more money. You didn't need more money.
Speaker 4: He cracked the code, fucking unlocked the matrix and didn't He doesn't want more Money's like, I think I'm good.
Speaker 1: I've got everything. I want everything. Oh, my grandkids are gonna have everything they want.
Speaker 4: Careated generation world. I'll just put it in some solid enhancements and I'll live off the entrance.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I'm going to disappear.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm gonna I'm going to enjoy life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are concept? Is it the time?
Speaker 4: Have you listening? We're always doing this into the MySpace Tom episode bat no matter is Yeah, he won, he won the game.
Speaker 1: Who else is the champion? The Stonecutters they're pretty good too, indeed, especially the number one stonecutter what's her name?
Speaker 4: K t G?
Speaker 1: Kat G with her one hundred support. Thank you so much, kat G for supporting us. He continuously here ad going down. I keep saying coming in the same show today, but here going down to South Park Earliers thrown me off.
Speaker 4: Okay, maybe we should wet working so hard then, But of course we have other Stonecutters here at four figure discount as well.
Speaker 1: Freed him names Glenn Gomez, Justin Parker, Zach Pruitt, Shanny Macker, Elliott, j O'Neil is, a Bella Murphy, Reached Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sean DV, Pete Anderson, Timothy bels and Andrew Davis, Kevin Dental, Planned Flood Ballot, Indo Bank, jackm Fadden, Heath Appleby Adrick McLeod March eleven, Ginger and Pickle, Preston, Murray, Talia Enriquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan, b James shepperd Joe Ridding said, Dave Prestols McNally, Gavin Lane, Dammy Miller, Charlie Joe, and Abigail B Sharp Canda, thank you for keeping the lights on here at four finger Discount.
Speaker 4: Thank you for keeping that wolf from the door.
Speaker 1: So the original air date of this episode Home of the Whopper was September twenty seventh, two thousand and nine. I have no idea what films come out in two thousand and nine. That's just way past my misia. But let's let's have a stab in the dart. Two thousand and nine. We Plantpole expressed that's twenty and ten.
Speaker 4: I think I believe.
Speaker 1: So yeah, let's go two thousand and nine. The top three films at the US box office when this episode aired. Number three was Fame, Number two were Surrogates, No idea what Surrogates is? And number one was Cleared with a Chance of Meatballs. They made two of those films.
Speaker 4: They did indeed, my kids, Oh that's right. They did a remake of Fame. Are you aware of the movie Fame? Do you know that? You know the site Fame? Yeah, you're going to Live Forever.
Speaker 1: It was really good movie preverty much like Grease? Right, wasn't it a play?
Speaker 4: Now? It was nothing like Grease?
Speaker 1: No, no, it's not. It was a play and they turned into a film, is that right?
Speaker 4: No, Fame was never a play. No, No, Fame was always a movie. Think became a TV of hair. You might be thinking of hair spray, but except that. Oh no, yeah, hair was a play and then it became.
Speaker 1: A movie of hair one word, yeah, correct, But fame, Fame was a was a play.
Speaker 4: But look it could have been turned on some stage. But yeah, really good.
Speaker 1: Movie, the originally Live Forever.
Speaker 4: Yes, I have not seen the remake, and sorrygets is a Bruce Willis movie, so I'm assuming you've seen it.
Speaker 1: Then? Yes, you said all of his films now really, yes, I thought you would have seen him. Not all of them. Not all of them are good, but do you see all of up to a certain time, and he just went.
Speaker 4: Some good ones that I haven't seen.
Speaker 1: I've seen some Bruce Biller's films when I'm watching it going even you know this is shit and you don't even trying.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, but you know the story about that, Well yeah, I mean are you talking about like the much later ones.
Speaker 1: Last even like twenty ten era?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I mean I think it's I'm not sure when Bruce realized that he had this deteriorating kind of mental condition.
Speaker 1: Oh really, I thought it was only in the last few years that happened.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure exactly when he sort of twigged to it, but yeah, I mean, the general consensus is I'm going to make as much money as I can, doing as little work as possible, doing using the resources.
Speaker 1: I have for the kids or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, basically to build that MySpace time kind of well yeah, yeah, because I mean so many of us, and myself included, because Bruce has always been my number one guy. I was like, what the fuck are you doing, man, Bruce Willis, You're better than this shit. And when it started to come as like, yeah, he might be sort of losing it, and you know he's working really hard to you know, just put it much way scratched again with fun asshole.
Speaker 1: Yeah not him me, He went yeah, yeah, he went to hospice care.
Speaker 4: Yes, apparently, yeah, I mean his his wife Emma apparently just filmed like a documentary about the or did like a long form interview for some American TV.
Speaker 1: Film a documentary about him, cause you would't had no idea?
Speaker 4: Was no, no, no, I think it was more about caring with someone who has this kind of condition or this kind of advanced dementia.
Speaker 1: Let's not talk about Bruce. Was it's too He has no idea? Is movie starting now? Does he?
Speaker 4: Oh? God, no, Yeah, it's really sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is sad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but yeah, shout out to your man, Bruce. Shouted to my man Bruce. Yeah, it's not bad, it's bad. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What is the brief synopsis? The brief one sentence? What it give us? The TV guide synopsis.
Speaker 4: In the future, you can have a robot look alike of yourself that you kind of control, and it's like the best looking version of you.
Speaker 1: Done. That's all I need, That's all you need, except there's also a Murdo.
Speaker 4: Alright.
Speaker 1: So the episode was written by.
Speaker 4: Seth Rogan and Evan Goldberg, writers of Super Bad, Pineapple Express, Yeah, and a partner on many things like the TV series The Boys Preacher, The Studio on Apple TV Plus yeap workers, hard.
Speaker 1: Workers, directed by Lance Kramer.
Speaker 4: I know him.
Speaker 1: The chopboard gave the class Hamster isn't just sleeping The coush gag. The Simpsons arrive at a subway station where the subway doors open to reveal their living room. They hop in and it takes off. We also get a billboard gag.
Speaker 4: That's correct. If I kill you, you don't pay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doctor Nick, that's right correct.
Speaker 4: Yes, I had a trivia question related to the couch gag? What was the number Springfield?
Speaker 1: What was that?
Speaker 4: Numbers?
Speaker 1: Twenty one Springfield one, nine, two three nine? All right? So he kicks off at androids dungeon. Guys writing something but we don't know what it is yet, and bar and Milhouse looking through the window, and Bart says, watched me make this loser lose it. He walks in and asks, there's a true Spider Man before the movies, he was a coming book. Oh goddess doesn't know how to handle this question. It's like, oh, what is this? What did he say? What's the exact words?
Speaker 4: Is it staggering? Steve Ditko like that? Yeah. Stevid Gough, a legendary comic book goddist excuse me.
Speaker 3: I just heard it before Spider Man was a movie, It was a comic book. Is that possible?
Speaker 2: What did suffering Steve Ditko? How can you not know that Spider Man first appeared in nineteen sixty two's classic Amazing Fanta see number fifteen two.
Speaker 3: Oh twelve cents? I'll take eight, what you idiot?
Speaker 2: Mint condition copies are like forty thousand dollars each must lie down on pile of unsold hookerns.
Speaker 5: Small, small, small.
Speaker 1: Then they find the comic that he was writing on his bench, every Man, and they go, what's this. He's not a hero from Marvel. They say, image of Wildstorm.
Speaker 4: Now I'm doing a bit of a of course, you will know Marvel and they say, Joe Whilstorm were kind of like, yeah, pretenders to the throne or up and comers. But funnily enough, Wildstorm actually published The Boys, which there we go the unified theory a full finger discount.
Speaker 1: But the comic book consists of avery Man and he prevents a bank rob berud from taking place, doesn't he?
Speaker 4: I didn't mind every Man. I thought it was like a halfway decent concept.
Speaker 1: You can never make this in real life because you'd have to.
Speaker 4: It'd be like the Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Or a Space Jam a new edition? What's it called?
Speaker 1: The new Era? The new Legacy, a new legacy? Get this right, fucking Alliott? Like two days ago, no ship, it's funny you brought that up. Can I watch Space Jams? Like you're sure he has another number two things?
Speaker 4: And I was like, no, you can't.
Speaker 1: I was like really, because yeah, kids loved it and like the kids talking about it at school because that only just discovered it. I guess I think they put on at school last week or something and they all love it. Like look, it's got the Flintstone, he's got Scoopy Dorm, it's got King Kong. And I'm like, you know what, when you're a kid, that shit's cool. All your favorite things in the one movie that would be called if you're a.
Speaker 4: Kid, you need to not you're going to fabricate content, but you should film elliots say I want to want Space Jam and your legacy, then you the frame of Jordan's and I took that personally. Oh man, anyway, that'd be kind of funny, all right, ah yeah, but yeah, every man not bad. I mean, and I think you can tell these guys like comic books. I mean, but just by the virtue of the fact that the guy's name is avery Man and he's like, but I'm also Everyman. It's pretty clever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, but yeah. So he prevents the bank robbery. They're mocking him because he's overweight, he's fat, and he can't do anything about it. He goes outside and every Man gets his superpowers by absorbing the powers of every codebook he touches, so it becomes Iman gets Iman's powers, and the Robert says something of the lines of pop Me and sing sing as Savor, which is the maximum security prison in New York. Then he uses Pus sick Man's powers to reach around and grab the other robber who was getting away. The comic book guy yells at them for reading his book, how do you do it? But it's like, I actually really enjoyed this.
Speaker 4: It's pretty good. By the way, Comic book guy, for all his nerdiness, he's pretty cavalier with his artwork, leaving it under like the pizza box I could just get stained with like pizza grease.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true, but I guess he never expected it's to really be a thing. I guess, yeah, what's more important? Well, pizza. So he says, I've never showed anybody due to the potential of me being mocked by the online community, like son of Son of Spock the Dark Knight and I killed Kenny six four seven five. I just like that because there would have been so many called I killed Kenny's oh in that so maybe not two thousand and nine, but in the late nineties for sure, or respect my authoritar twenty five. Then they convince him to self publish because he's written three hundred and thirty five issues already, including the controversial to eighty nine Death of Marmaduke. Now the kids are all at school, they're already I didn't mind the soundtrack as well. They had music that was specifically playing every time people were reading that every Man comic. There's music playing. The kids think it's great. Who knew a trouble person could be so creative? And cuts to Nelson the water run deep and he's painting the teachers on the wall and whatnot. Then we get the montage of all the various stores that you were mentioned earlier, Odin's Alley or whatever it was buying buying up a storm and Matt groaning aim so rich, so rich?
Speaker 4: Throw it actually was Matt groening according to the.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't get though. So is he he's thrown into a Bongo comics?
Speaker 4: Yeah? When Bongo was? They that that was his?
Speaker 1: That's Life in Hell right, that's the Bongo Comics pub I don't think No, But.
Speaker 4: Bongo was the bunny in Life is Hell?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: Is that the character name?
Speaker 1: Is it Bongo? Maybe? I just know that they publish all the Simpsons comics. I just didn't get there because he was so he was. Was it he was stealing them?
Speaker 4: No? No, I thought it was they were his comics, Yeah they were, but he was he was still publishing as well.
Speaker 1: So I thought he was somehow making money off.
Speaker 4: Of when I watched the second time, because I initially thought that as well. They were throwing every Man comics into a trust store, except then he was pinching it out of the truck, putting them in his own truck. No, not, okay, okay, he was just getting his own comics and making money from Bongo, making money from Bongo. So the Life and Howl Rabbit, let's have a look some reason I think it's Bongo, but I could so wrong.
Speaker 1: I don't think it is. It's Bingo, but.
Speaker 4: It's not that much difference between Bingo and Bonger. I know, but it's two different names, right, guess Binky. We're both wrong?
Speaker 1: But was it?
Speaker 4: I was even more wrong?
Speaker 1: Okay, But the Simpsons comics are great. I read some of the Simpons comics and Alliant's just started reading them, and it's like, these could have been genuine episodes, a lot of these, you know, in an era of the Simpsons where it felt like it was pretty half asked. These could have been genuine, genuinely good stories, but they didn't do it. So let's move on, shall we.
Speaker 4: Let's not dwell on that.
Speaker 1: But yes, but Matt Greeny's making all life money. And then we get just like the astronauts of reading the books and they're crashing in space and just everyone's everyone, everyone loves every man. Then we have the executives at a movie station not not join normous there it's one week wonder, okay, and they're thinking of what's think of the next big summer blockbus or something that's never been in a movie before, but still feels like it has. She says extension cords and car keys and whatnot, and the sun walks in. What's that comic? It's just to kill this one in the whole world? Did and just like whatever? But I did love that. I've watched all the DVDs in the band. And then he says, we're going to buy the rights to it while Jinah was picked. Did that three weeks ago?
Speaker 4: Damn it? I did love that. What are his powers? All of them? Yeah? I thought that was kind of funny.
Speaker 1: Giant Normous execs are now at the store three weeks earlier, and they're trying to convince comic book guy to give them the rights to the film, and he says, actually, the guys that did Stratigo with the red scout dated a blue General. And then we get your man thrown under the bus. Brett Ratner, that's correct, Yes, is Brent Brett. So I thought we had Brett Ratner because he had final cut. We were well aware he had final cut. And he cracks his knuckles and cracked his hair as well. Is that just a nerd? Because my knuckles crack all the time if I'm sitting on the computer. What is it?
Speaker 4: Could well be Look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I used to hate the sound of my knuckles cracking, but now I do it all the time.
Speaker 4: There's bits in this that didn't really make a whole lot of sense to It's like, and clearly you've thought these are gags or these are bits, and I'm like, are they? Yeah, I mean you're the knuckles thing, I guess, but it's not that funny.
Speaker 1: No, not really. So then this is where he says, I don't want any money or women. All I want to be is able to That was okay, I do not create money nor women. I knew that it's impossible. Yes, he wants to be able to cast everywhere. They say nope, not going to happen. I repeat thank you, I repeat thank you, and they finally agree thank you. And he says, I'm so glad I played hardball, Hollywood. That's the closest I've ever come to playing sport in my life. Another a good lad, good gag.
Speaker 4: You've got multiple tiers of gigs. Some I think work really well, some are like that's not bad, and some are like, eh, yeah, playing hardball. But Krusty is now auditioning to be every man. But he's print amount of ink so in his ink for an Omega brand fax machine, not that he's even using the fax machine. Still in two thousand and nine, very old school. But nah, not getting the gig, but he already bought a boat with the money they were going to pay him. Then he says, come comedic book, guys, is I don't want a super hunk. I want a fat loser. I want in every Man. It's in the name. Plus Also, I think you can tell Seth and Evan Simpson's fan just by using the term super hunk. It's not really a term that gets used outside. I mean, we all know what a big fan of it I am. But I don't think I've ever heard it used in magazines or newspapers or hunks sometimes, but hung absolutely, but super yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: A very It's like almost like a Marge, isn't it.
Speaker 4: That's that's putting a hat on a hat. Yeah. So for them to say I do not want some super hunk, it's like that's a shout out.
Speaker 1: Well, then goes Homer, then enters, do you have changed for a dollar? Also a dollar? And then you are acceptable? Thanks? You want to see me naked?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's no in this movie.
Speaker 1: What movie we come back and out at the dinner table and Homer asked how all their days went. Lisa says she got into a national mass competition.
Speaker 4: B yes, Marge, she's.
Speaker 1: Or guess who've got the voted president of the garden club? You cool? No our school that can go to? How any way? Then Bart says that doctor says he's styroid is not pumping out enough.
Speaker 4: Well, too bad.
Speaker 1: Maggie sucks like sucking out time for him, and he reveals the every man comic attached to his chest with this is Me pointed at it. The Simpsons family really were a big part of this episode? Were they? No, not at all. They just they just sort of skimmed through. It felt like every scene had a Simpsons family member was cut short, just acknowledging, just cramming them in.
Speaker 4: He's got a family, don't forget.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So now at ginormous pictures at the front, he said, Star Wars episode seven, the Apology Alvin Chipmunks three getting rabies. They have a problem. And I was like, I'll get back to the oscars that took from the lobby. Do you want the Golden Globe? Oh god no? And they showed they said. They showed the pick of him to various people, like a test audience, and none of them thought he looked like a siper hero.
Speaker 2: Oh where my brother and I showed this picture of you to a cross section of typical moviegoers.
Speaker 5: Not one thought you look like a superhero.
Speaker 2: Several people stared at the sun, attempting to blind themselves.
Speaker 5: Stared at the sun against every animal instinct they had.
Speaker 1: We need you to slim down, muscle up, and become the every man people want to be instead of the one they actually are.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I can. I mean, Yo, Yo Dieter, Yo hot dog man, Yo peanuts. Why aren't you laughing? Don't you know what yo means?
Speaker 1: I just love the Yeah, yo heart dog man. That's one of the best gags in a while. I really like that. Actually, I genuinely laughed. And then what's Larle's last name? My Lion McCarthy. I believe Lian McCarthy. Let's just quick go to the he plays Lian McCarthy. That's correct, you he arrives, he's going to be the guy who's going to do what.
Speaker 4: Well, He's gonna whip home in shape. But I forgot the actual phrase they use. But he's the personal trainer.
Speaker 1: I just like, say goodbye to the fat you says goodbye, come with guy. He won't care whether I'm going to be having him lose weight though now because he's too busy. He's gone Hollywood and he cuts to him. He wants to read a story to his adopted Cambodie in Orphan. I didn't mind the nanny's bringing the story end with him, yes, and he reads it to him. And remember the kid's name, I don't. It was Prius Prius.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's funny, but it's also saying because they're definitely kids in this situation, there's some Hollywood douchebags adopted kids, and this I don't think this is meant to be mocking Angel and Jolie because she's a great mother.
Speaker 4: Apparently, if you're mocking anyone, it's more mea pharaoh, because apparently she she like renamed her adopted kids like multiple times.
Speaker 1: Oh that's not good. Not toys. Colly's gone through a phase now where she's renaming all of her toys at the moment, and then today she's like, I want to call Nelly Nelly again.
Speaker 4: I was like corn Nellie again, just say it exactly like that.
Speaker 1: I was just like, that's okay, I'm sure. I'm sure Nelly would lie there. Do not think she wants to be called Nelly? I'm like, yes, she probably does. Yeah, I'm sorry, nellis respect those pronounces. This show is brought to you by the fore fingered discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking So I Fouled, the one about friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com, slash four figure discout.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Lyle is with Homer at the Simpsons house and he asked him, like, why do you eat well, I'm swallowing my frustrations and disappointments, and that's pretty much why we eat a lot of the time, isn't it?
Speaker 4: That is correct? Sometimes I was.
Speaker 1: Sitting there watching TV at night and I'm going, I'm gonna get to the pantry. I'm like, no, no, why are you going to the pantry. You're not hungry? You're just eating because you're bored. It's like, I'm just gonna go to bed. Why am moving up? If you don't need the fuel, you won't know what well I used to do it. He says, you cope by cramming donuts in your mouth when you're feeling sad and whatnot. And then he says, here, it's because you don't always have the time to beat. Did they masturbate there? Pretty sure it's massurbated? Yeah, okay, reckon, they originally said masturbating they I'm kind.
Speaker 4: Of curious about that. I did a little research, and I think everyone has a consensus that was masturbate. I couldn't find anyone who said, yeah, I remember when it actually end and they said that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I forget South on the show South. If you're listening, see the friend of the pod. I look at the cameras on the fuck Man. We will accept evan, Yes, anybody, anybody, anyone who knows the answer, will accept you to come in and tell us what was the what was the word there? And was it originally in and beeped out? For what was censor ship?
Speaker 4: The secret wound?
Speaker 1: Yes, So he says, you need to lose weight fast. So let's do it with the montage to either tiger. Now it's a bit on the nose. I do it to heroes. I didn't mind this, he's just heroes. This montage scene is really exhausting, just walking around sad one touched. No, we've had a ragtap little leg and turn him to state state runners up. They don't win state runs up. And then what funny modes of transportation he's just let's just skip ahead a month that cust to him. He's doing his ten thousands push up and fit and now is much in shape. And this is where he gets a phone call from Topay McGuire. And this was a bit of a running gig where he would say one thing to the to the client and then turned to home and.
Speaker 4: Not really real glad Hander, but death doesn't like his actual he's on the phone.
Speaker 1: I did a bit too much. I think, I think a little bit. I feel a lot of it was felt a bit eyes by Seth and they sort of went with it.
Speaker 4: Well I did. I've read some interview with Rogan. I actually might have been on the Wikipedia paid So you're talking about, oh yeah, one day I'm pitching a scrip then you know, a couple of days later, I'm improvising with Homer.
Speaker 1: Simpson, So I'm guessing, yeah, a lot of this. I'm thinking some of the nicknames that he came up with, a constant sort of string of nicknames based on Homer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that feels kind of home run and all. Yes, a couple of things in this that I wanted to want to discover. Well, first, well, if the rise in Brown don't shower down, it's valid.
Speaker 1: Point.
Speaker 4: The whole thing about John Drolta and the Private Client List may have something to do with a rumor that was going around about JT and a certain messuse.
Speaker 1: Oh really, Ah yeah.
Speaker 4: Do your own googling for that one, folks.
Speaker 1: I don't mind. Goodbye, bad bye. Then he tells him to hit the poll, fire man up, strip it down. Sexy heroic, sexy heroic, and they're filming the movie now, and he used Captain America's patriotism to save the president. I think it was, I think whatever, and Wonder Woman's boobs to distract the gar at LISTA points there's a few plot holes here, and he blames because there's so many writers. So that feels like commentary on Hollywood. Where oh absolutely, if you just allowed one guy or a couple ofeople to write this movie, you've led us to write this movie, it'd be fine. All you guys putting your little two cents in. That's what's sucking it up.
Speaker 4: Well, that's the thing. I mean. There's a lot of talk about how, you know, the MCU sort of was founded or you know, how it sort of got started, and how they had this brains trust of people like we want all these movies to connect together. We wanted, you know, one character appear in this, another one to appear in this, but it needs to be all one thing. So they had like people working on that forever. Apparently Joss Whedon was like one of the founding members of that. Okay, and I think you need that at the beginning, But then when it comes to actually writing the script, Yeah, leaving the hands of like one or two capable people. I mean, yeah, the reason that The Gardens the Galaxy works so well is, yeah, you can really tell that it's mostly James Gunn's work. I mean, even though there was another script writer who wrote the initial script, I think gun came in and kind of did a pass on it, and you feel the individuality that more than you do in a lot of other other sort of superhero movies.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, next scene here is where Marge asked to take your shirt off again, and she's there's less of you to love, but I love you ever more, And I thought, I'm not happy with where this is going. He feels very like I understand it because you know you would, right, but it still feels unlike March. I feel it's be more of home. I should be posing to March. March being like, yeah, that's great, but I just love you for you true.
Speaker 4: Or maybe not use the word love, maybe just have a sort of get really kind of lusty, like you know when when they had the episode where she went to prison margin chains and have the contract visit and just like, I mean, yeah, I have her driven more by animal lust and kind of like there's more of your love. It's like, well, so you don't love him anymore if he's regular movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah, But then she spooks herself by touching her other hand, which she hugs him around. It's filming again, and this time Homer throws the wrench into the helicopter. This is another good like the Devil's Advocate I spell and ask her I still take a bath and then home. Loves that he's getting gigs for his friends Lenny and Carl cars with his head in the shark, but he just paid. He loves he's getting paid to do what he loves exactly.
Speaker 4: I like that they mentioned I've got a closet full of free sneakers.
Speaker 1: And watches which you giveaways.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when you're if you're new like me and you're sort of looking at oh wonder what's going on, like the film festival or whatever, and they always have like brands will have things set up. It's like, hey, Edward Norton, come on in and check it out. Hey, if you want to pay a free Timberland boots, Hey, they're all yours. But you know, maybe tag us in your insta picture with are you wearing or something like that. All these rich motherfuckers are just getting you know, getting free north face or you know, oh you look at DiCaprio. I was like, that's right.
Speaker 1: The only watch I wear is Omega.
Speaker 4: It's like you took that home and you probably got paid pretty well for were you to do?
Speaker 3: Homer, Homer Sapien, Can I have a word with you?
Speaker 4: I know this is a bad time, but I'm leaving for another gig.
Speaker 3: It's that all this temporary job was to you a gig.
Speaker 4: Don't take it personally, home team, But.
Speaker 3: How will I keep from overeating? Just remember what I taught you, but you taught me. The only people who can stay sinner those who can afford five thousand dollars a week nutritional consultants.
Speaker 4: I have taught you. Well, this is something I want to talk about this quickly a little while. But I'm not a big viewer of Always Sonny in Philadelphia. But uh, Rob Mcalanny now known as Rob Mack, he went changed his name. He changed his name apparently yah, no one could announce mamacallanny. I'll probably pronounced it incorrectly just then. But his character went through a stage where he put on a lot of weight and then dropped it all and became quite jacked. And Rob actually did that. Never was like, wow, that's incredible, And he put up an Instagram post. I'm gonna read it abeta mere. Look, it's not that hard. All we need to do is lift weight six days a week, stop drinking alcohol, don't eat anything after seven pm, don't eat any carbs, or any sugar at all. In fact, just don't eat anything you like, get the personal trainer from Magic Mike, sleep nine hours a night, run three miles a day, and have a studio pay for the whole thing over a six to seven month span where everyone is not doing this.
Speaker 1: That's pretty much it.
Speaker 4: That's pretty much it. Yeah. So yeah, that's what I was thinking of when when they talk about my mental Mainteain's like, oh, you know, just a little next like, no, no, you have to live and he can do it. Oh, you can do it, but it has to be your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it has one of those no.
Speaker 4: I'd rather my life, and well, chuck with cookies and a glass of whiskey, glass of whiskey.
Speaker 1: I immediately starts sees cheese cubes like, well on one's not gonna hurt, and then one stuck to the other. Well, technically it still counts as one. And Nicola always uses the gag of if it's you have like an ice cream of strawberries, well technically it's fruit now. Oh yeah, and then he says to himself after he eats the cheese cubes, well it's bad, like to eating even amount of cheese it's more starts filling his face and everyone's looking at concerned. Don't look at me. You watch it. We come back and they're filming the next part again, but this time he's he's bursting out of his suit. I didn't want to, I'm not every man camera, but it burst out of his suit. And the guy's like, our main star is fa we're over budget, and the grass up aer Raptor has got a mind of its own and eats Sir Ben Kingsley. That was bizarre.
Speaker 4: That was weird. I'm not exactly sure why that was case, although I did hear a very fun anecdote about Sir Ben Kingsley recently, particularly when it came to the making of Species. I don't think he was that big a fan of being on the movie, but apparently he didn't like anyone touching his chair. So his ghostar, the late great Michael Madson, was always fucking with his chair.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's a good story. But yeah, but.
Speaker 4: Apparently Kingsley's be a bit of a sort of a touchy character. I mean, I think someone referred to him as not as Sir Ben at some day and he got real he really arked up about it. I guess if I was called sir guy like someone to do it? He once in a while.
Speaker 1: But Homer can't fit into his pjs anymore, and Marge comes in expecting a sexy man. He pulled his weight on one day apparently. Anyway, let's not first throw log, you get the window for the sake of let's get through this. She comes in expecting him to be thin, but he's button bursts off and knocks her out, and she says, I think he put on a little bit of weight. Nag, nag, nag, And that's the end of that story again called a story. Yeah, Homer goes to the QUICKI Mart to try and make himself vomit. He wants to go full boleemic so that he can lose some weight, so he gives him some butteron milk from nineteen sixty one when everyone was twisting again like they did the previous summer, and he says, just make sure you don't chew the chunks. But it's too late. Clean up an aisles three to one and that exterior shot were just the silence. It worked, It really did, really. Yeah, Now we're filming the final bit and Homer, unfortunately just can't get out of his trailer. He's meant to be Batman, but not going to happen. A guy arrives. He says, this film is an embarrassment. As the writer, I demand to express my opinion. So again, this is very much them trying to just complain. I guess that they. I guess when I writing films, people chiming in a lot of them have.
Speaker 4: Their pure Yeah, it's sort of a lot of standing Hollywood joke that. Yeah, the writer is the very low person on the ladder.
Speaker 1: They tried to He tries to give him the vulcan death grip the security guard, but it gives him the Hollywood ponytail. Yank throws him to a bin full of former studio heads whose only sin was believing in George Clooney.
Speaker 4: Correct. The security guard apparently voiced by a gentleman named Kevin Michael Richardson, who's very big in the voice acting the game. Yeah, tell us, tell us more.
Speaker 1: He's now voices on Shimps's voice of doctor here. But now where do you go? I had fun I learned something to that. We're now at the tenant read that far in the wikimedia back. We're now at the test screening, and the lizard is there in the audience. He's also in the film, and the guy says, I think we've solved all the issues here with editing, except my problems with the irs. How's that going, by the way, just takes his head. Not really a gag. Maybe one of them is having troubles with the iras. Could well be I don't know who knows. No, he's up in trouble with the taxman. Tell me is the guy that owns Derrimitt Jim.
Speaker 4: I did hear about this?
Speaker 1: Millions of fourteen million dollars in tax dead or something. Oh my god, they're closing down. All the gyms are closing Jesus.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Not good for Terramat, not good for the gym joke he's out there. Not good for those who need to shrip all the five thousand national nutritional consultants. Like, yes, time for some protein. Do there have to be that voice?
Speaker 4: Does it? Lifted directly from friendly Jordan? Sorry that protein said that again? Then find for the protein boys. You're already to cut that out.
Speaker 1: One of the funniest things you've ever said and upset a few funny things. Yeah, so he says they're watching the film, and sometimes he's fat, sometimes he's not. The editing's all screwed up, and then he's like, what's going on here? Karl's annoyed. I think he says, who was in charge of the continuity? And the what's that? Is a continuity consulted? What are they called that position? That woman who's in charge of the continuity turns and she says, I trying to show the polaroids and now deffinitely looked in there. He says, your job is to get their attention. Nobody takes responsibility anymore. So then she said, I just want to get back into the business after I have my kids. And then most says, when they've got an embarrassment for a.
Speaker 4: Mother, I've written what why? Yeah? Yeah? Just this mean yeah, I mean I don't know the actual title for someone who deals with continuity, but yeah, it's a pretty big deal in movies on the set absolutely? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is it? Are they trying to say here that audiences blame the wrong person?
Speaker 4: Could well be?
Speaker 1: I mean for film faults.
Speaker 4: Have you ever seen a film recently where it's kind of like, oh, they filmed this scene here and they had to come make six months later for reshirts or something like that. It's really it's very obviously in Justice League, where they just Wheden came into basically rework the film after Zack Snyder had to step out.
Speaker 1: Let's how The Simpsons was born. The original episode was going to be someone chanted. At evening James R. Brooks was like, now it's fucking not send this back and fixed it.
Speaker 4: But even like mission impossible, the final reckoning the bits and that was like, I think Tom's got the same haircut here, or you know, you're looking a little puffier in this one as opposed to the previous.
Speaker 1: Happens in sitcoms all the time.
Speaker 4: Sure, oh well yeah. They alluded to it here with your Homer sort of going wild at craft Services. I think I forgot who mentioned this. It might have been Spader talking about the Blacklist. How you know, you get your second season, everyone's a little more confident, You're a little bit more relaxed, and you start pecking away at the at cad, at the snack table a little bit more. I think, you see, I think Spader put on a little bit of way between season one and season two. Good for him, good on him, got that Blacklist money Lord ten seasons. Nicola gave up after about season A after about season six that Shark had been jumped. No, it's just when the show has a running theme or an arc where you're like, oh, who is the father or whatever, and you find out who the father is and you're like, I have no need to watch anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't need three more seasons.
Speaker 4: By the way, the title of the person who is overseen continuity on a film shoot is called a script supervisor.
Speaker 1: Is that what a script supervisor? Ah?
Speaker 4: There we go responsible for according to AI Overview, thanks AI, responsible for tracking and maintaining the visual and narrative continent. Do you have a film or TV show so that all the scenes can be edited together cohesive?
Speaker 1: Okay? So Lyle then says, well, you went from every Man to everywhere Man and he says, well's because you left me and he's huge Levy four and he says it's Turtle from Entourage and that's a throw back. No one talks about Entourage anymore.
Speaker 4: No, although Jeremy Piven was out here recently, was he really doing a stand upset?
Speaker 1: Well? He felt very ari gold this. He wasn't a manager. The consultantly that Hollywood demeanor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, luff and bravado about him. But it's a shame because I mean, Pipen was a really good actor and I think still is to some degree. But he's I think he's sort of chasing the anti woke dollar because he was up and the saye's talking about it. Man, remember Entourage and you know you look at the post of that and it's like five white dudes walking towards You couldn't do that these days, Like.
Speaker 1: We shouldn't do that these days.
Speaker 4: Maybe you could, you know. I think you'd have to be a little more sort of self aware about how you did it. I came up with a really great idea for an Entourage reboot, but I'll talk about that another time.
Speaker 1: You've got a lot of ideas going. I really do finish one of them. Yeah, it would be great. It's very much me. I did mind. I didn't mind the posters in the background here at the cinema. Other films coming out, Welcome Back Potter, Yes, and Just Fat Suit with Edie Murphy. Then he says he will train him and then leave again and then return and train him again, and that's how he makes his money. And then he mocks turtle out loud. Whatever, it's just that gag of speak.
Speaker 4: He's just so yeah, he's so trans full of shit, fellow shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Then they say that the film, you know, didn't do too well. The productive projection has even hung yourself with the final reel. But they said, look, the film will still be a success and you can direct a sequel. All you have to do, Collic book guy, is tell your army of internet dweeps to go and see the movie. What what are they trying to get across here? Are they trying to say that that the online response is pivotal success.
Speaker 4: Now, I'm not sure if this was for two thousand and nine. Maybe we're sort of very much at the tail end of online movie influences having a bit of sway over the nerd audience, and particularly guys like Harry Knoles, who was the big wig behind Ain't a Cool News, which they allude to in just a little while. Yeah, but I think that they were very much kind of cooling and was like, yeah, guys like that and guys at the various yeah fan sites, if you put the good word about this, you know it'll get positive buzzer people. Yeah. Yeah, So yeah, it wouldn't be. Yeah, I think it's very much talking about that.
Speaker 1: So he says, well, I sell my soul for Hollywood, Luca, or stay true to my lofty ideals.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, it gets direct every Man too, Rise of the Revenge. I think Rise of the Revenge is actually pretty good.
Speaker 1: Rise of the Revenge not bad.
Speaker 4: I think that's kind of funny and kind of also cool.
Speaker 1: All you have to do is tell your army of Internet do weeeves to go see this movie?
Speaker 2: Sell my store for Hollywood Lucer, which stay true to my lofty ideals. Every Man the motion picture is the combination of a lifelong dream, and that was one of the few who saw that dream realized on screen last night. There is one fault to find with this two hundred million dollar production. It is that this is the worst movie ever and Send and sip.
Speaker 5: Though legislation was passed to ensure every Man was never seen on screens again, he remains in the hearts of every man, woman and child, looking for justice or just hoping to see bad people beidden up.
Speaker 1: I'm so cold, No man, what the hell was this little atroid?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It should have ended at the send and sip s didn't sit that send him out.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 1: That's that's the that's the same. Didn't need that last bit. I didn't get it, no do I anyway. But that is the review of the Wapper, Homer and the Wappa, which is a plan on what is the plane? Well, Burger King is known as the home of the Whoppa, the home of the Whappa?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 1: Really? I just know if the burgers are better hungry jacks, Well, that's because we're Astralian. Ah, Okay, so don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna double check that because I'm sounding very confident, but I could be completely wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay. I know they tried to bring burger King here. They tried. They were thinking about, like, we'll bring but we'll bring a couple of burger Kings here and it eventually will turn all the hunger Jacks into burger Kings and they won't even know the difference. And everyone's like, eh, I don't really like this burger King. Hungry jacks taste better, and they're like, it's the same thing. I didn't mind going to burger King though, because they used to wrap their burgers up in gold foil. Felt special.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the original Wendy's used to do that as well.
Speaker 1: Really yeah, rapping for the shitty cardboard boxes now with he goes cold within five minutes.
Speaker 4: That shit. Yeah. The home of the whopper is the international fast food chene Burger King. There We Go, which uses the Home of the Whopper as the well known tagline for its signature Hamburger Come but that one BECAUSEDANA didn't know about it?
Speaker 1: Well I don't, But the burgers is a better Hunger.
Speaker 4: Jacks A I go in the extra yard here. While Burger King is the originator of the whopper, It's Australians franchise operates under the name Hungry Jacks and is also considered home of the Whopper in Australia?
Speaker 1: Is it though? It is the home with the wo But what does ever say? The home of the wapper in Australia Hungry Drags.
Speaker 4: Which, yeah, is a tagline that we will remember. I know it's your second favorite after I don't care. I love it.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when the nineties when Hungry Jacks used to use hungry Oh yes and slow mobive the burger's been eaten delicious? I love Hungry Jacks, I love the burgers, but if I'm having a choice, it's going to be KFC chicken burgers. Don't know. Of course, you're a quarter pounder man, right.
Speaker 4: Well, if I'm having a fast foot burger, yes, a quarter poundery E tried a pounder. No, I think I tried a half pounder.
Speaker 1: It was a quarter half pounder. Well that's two, yeah, two, So it's just a double double che double cord pounder, double cord panda. Yeah, a half pound of Thanks, like you need double quarter pound No half pounder, buddy, it sounds tougher.
Speaker 4: Okay, Steve, Okay, Stephen Hawking. I didn't realize I was dealing with the math gene. Isn't it.
Speaker 1: All right? Yeah? So home with the Whopper. It was fine for a season from Yeah. I mean, they a lot of good jokes in here. Just the story felt a bit whatever. Yes, it felt rushed.
Speaker 4: The scaffolding was swaying, but the decorations were pretty good. Yeah, I mean, as is often the case, when we go through it beat by beat, line by line. Well, that's like, may some not bad stuff in here.
Speaker 1: I wonder if you could have turned this into like a movie. Again, The answer is, this show is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpson's reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Sifould, the One About Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four finger discount.
Speaker 4: What do we learn Bomb?
Speaker 1: What did you learn from this episode? I learned that you could not turn this episode into a movie.
Speaker 4: You learned that pretty quickly and defendly.
Speaker 1: And I learned that the Burgers I let the Home of the Whopper is Burger King.
Speaker 4: There we go.
Speaker 1: You let that Kevin Marco Rigson is the with a doctor Hibbert. I did?
Speaker 4: Actually also yeah that, yeah, maybe don't believe in George Clooney, No watching ear and I'm watching him like, man, what a dream.
Speaker 1: Boat back there? Certainly home goodness, Yes, Holly Spokes. He just has that smile. He doesn't smile smile, It just sort of has a look. And you're like, even I'm getting hard looking at him, Coloney, My god, how long does he stayed for? Actually don't note sports, because then I'll be able to tell when it's coming. But it's not long, is it.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I think he's I think he's stuck to his contract for a while. Yeah, because everyone was Everyone thought he was going to do a Caruso. You know what I mean, he was going to do a David Caruso. I was like, fuck you when my PD blew it time for David Cruise to be a movie star, and it was like, we don't like you in these movies, even though he's not bad in those. How about see its high? How about seeing something? I mean, then he did that for like a dozen years. Now he's sitting on a beach doing the tom isn't it. Yeah. But to the best of my understanding, Clooney signed a contract for a certain amount of years. And even though he became the breakhoad start and was like, George, go do movies. Wow, everyone loves you, he was like, no, signed a deal, gonna stick with the deal. Yeah, well yeah, we'll work at his best. I can, I can make movies and do we are, but you know, signed a deal.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure all these coastars were like thank fuck. Oh yeah, good show though, Oh yeah. In season two at the moment, Yeah.
Speaker 5: From forward, your names will be.
Speaker 1: All right, it's time for the Guy Davis new Name. Championship's back baby, episode one of season twenty one, Clean Slate. Now your man is he's retired.
Speaker 4: His name is Jerry and he was yeah, and he's not taking part of the new name. And Phil J.
Speaker 1: Hawkins is like, you'll be back. I retired as well. I went three in a row, buddy. There was there was a bit of snack in the comment. No, it was actual mutual respect chattered between the two of them. It's like, yeah, yeah, it was like Jordan's Jordan and Pippin. Yeah, reminiscent over old times. All right, So yeah, give me your three to two one for Home of the Whopper.
Speaker 4: Okay, One point goes to Superhero size me.
Speaker 1: That would be Dave ram mc nelly.
Speaker 4: Prett.
Speaker 1: Now he's got one point. What on that, Dave pretzels Melli.
Speaker 4: Well, first person, first person on the board.
Speaker 1: Yeah, huh.
Speaker 4: Two points goes to fat Man return.
Speaker 1: Now, wasn't there a fat Man begins?
Speaker 4: It was, And I've got a reason why Joe's fat Man returns because Homan became very lean, very muscular. But then I then a lot of cheese started nibbling on stuff, and fat Man returned, Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 4: Props to the person who gave us Fatman.
Speaker 1: Beginning that was Fatman begins with Philip Jay Hawkens. Philip Phil Hawkins. He's like ship but Phil, Phil, Phil, you did pretty good. But I'm being a bit particult person. Nathan Briggs took your idea and put a clock in it. His name is brig and he breees the guy that won the world card last month, oh last season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's feeling himself on two points, showed away.
Speaker 1: He's on the while he's in the wild card draw already, I'm in, yes.
Speaker 4: All right. Three points goes to box office. Gross.
Speaker 1: That's a clever title.
Speaker 4: So bad. It is a clever car. It's a clever I should have seen it well on clever card.
Speaker 1: Kyl muldoon on the three points at the moment, So three points Carl Maldoon, two points, Nathan Briggs and one point Dave McNally.
Speaker 4: He's going to do an imitation of Nathan from South Park, but I shouldn't because it's cultural.
Speaker 1: Every time we say Nathan Briggs, his name. I'm gonna do it, but not well, I better not.
Speaker 4: You keep an eye on on our reels and Instagram stories because we'll see what happens when I do imitation.
Speaker 1: By the way, you're going to stay for a second. Ok, this is the end of the podcast. You got to stay. He've got something for hang on. One second. Is reminded me. I'm back now. Tomorrow is the tem of fourth. My birthday's tim of fifth is your birthday. So this is part of your birthday present. The other part hasn't arrived yet. If this is arrived a couple of days ago, Molly Telly, Tally Town, it's tally hantous on one side is off his mind and everyone is not.
Speaker 4: Oh my goodness, thank you. Oh that's quite delightful. I think I'm actually giving up weed the spring now I'm not. That's lovely. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I know it's silly, but it's very sweet. I thought of you. I was like, that's cool.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 1: So the rest of your birthday present will be arriving. What's on its way. Yeah, you'll get a prison too, yes, but yeah, so my birthday is tomorrow and thirty seven.
Speaker 4: Tomorrow man man I'm not going to tell you old I am yours.
Speaker 1: Let's say fifty. Yes, you just puts you fifty to state fifty, right, that's correct until you're sixty or you say until you're seventy. So yeah, so make sure you send happy birthdays to guy in the in the Patreon group and also to dend It. Yeah, but by the time they hear this, I'm already thirty seven. You're already fifty, So it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: We'd still appreciate we we'd appreciate the other birthday wishes.
Speaker 1: We do indeed. And yeah, by the way, get in touch with us. It's mailbag at four figure discount dot com. Are you're going to be doing a mailbag episode very very shortly, so send all your questions through. We'll read them all out on the show.
Speaker 4: You know what a really nice gift other than being getting a nice towel, twy towel.
Speaker 1: A patronage, Yes, listen to support the show. Yeah, give us a birthday present by chuckus a few dollars. I'm Patreon if you like your pals going down and listening for free for all these years, for the last ten years, Chuck us a few dollary dues and help kick the lights on here at four Finger Discount. But this has been a review of Homer the Whopper. Next week we're going to be reviewing scenes from the class Struggle in Springfield with Nina O Yama, and we'll be returning with another season twenty one episode where it's called Bart gets a Z. I believe this is one where he accidentally gets missus k fired.
Speaker 4: I believe.
Speaker 1: So, Okay, then all right, but until then, mister Davis, then you find a word for those incredible listeners out there. Dano, what do you think these podcast powers are originality? I'm going to say all of them.