Speaker 1: Hello, Hi, Welcome back again to Wheel Takes, a podcast about the Wheel of Time, a series of fantasy books written by Robert Jordan and completed by Brandon Sanderson. My name is Gus.
Speaker 2: I've read all of them, and I'm Ali, and I'm on the.
Speaker 1: Way exactly where I'm on book.
Speaker 2: Thirteen, thirteen thirteen, Chapter eight nine nine.
Speaker 1: This podcast only gets spoilers for what I've already read and again today. That's everything up to and including Towers of Midnight, chapter nine. We are coming to you today outside sitting in a green lawn looking at mountains. We're on the road, so we're recording on a cell phone today. Might do this one a little bit piecemeal, just because of the demands of time. But yeah, it's a beautiful day here where we're at, and I hope it's a beautiful day where you are. It felt very radio announcer, but he did, But I don't know. I mean, it's I'm really tranquil right now. Things are really pretty where we are. I'm sitting under aspen trees and anytime you're around ass But there's a tiny little, eaty bitty green bug crawling on my leg. Look at this, it's so small. It's so small, I'm gonna gently blow it off. Hold on, that didn't work. That didn't work. It might just live here now, Ali, we're here to talk about chapters eight and nine of Towers of Midnight. Who is the narrator of these Matt that is one match from Coffin. I haven't seen him in a bit, as I recall. How's he doing?
Speaker 3: He's all right, he's well, not all right because the Golamb has finally found him. Yeah, go, which I have been predicting. I feel like I predicted that on the freaking.
Speaker 1: What's it called inga sheet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure you had it, and it's not there.
Speaker 1: That's shocking and hilarious.
Speaker 2: But I think that's because I predicted it last year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've predicted it. I didnk every book for since book eight.
Speaker 2: That's so annoying because.
Speaker 1: The last time he had to deal with the Golamb was on the five Flights of Stairs building.
Speaker 3: I honestly forgot he existed the goal. Yeah, because he's been on ice for five books.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he wasn't. Really, he wasn't eight. Actually he was an eight for like one second, yes, and then he wasn't in nine wasn't in ten, wasn't in eleven, wasn't in twelve, or if he was in any of those, it was just for a snippet. Yeah, but here we are at thirteen and it looks like he's back and forth.
Speaker 2: He is back and forth, and.
Speaker 3: I feel like, yeah, I mean he he got away. He did, which you know classic because we can't we have to, we have to have all the villains on the table.
Speaker 1: Well, the other question, how how would one kill him? He's kind of the question. He seems to be borderline on.
Speaker 2: It will be something we've got to figure out, or.
Speaker 1: Do we even call the Golama? He is more of an.
Speaker 3: It like what it left, which leads me to believe that it can be killed, right, because if not, then why not just continue on your assault? Well, so then now I'm like, oh, what were they doing at the time that it left?
Speaker 1: I suppose we also have to remember what was the other part of its directive?
Speaker 3: The other part of its directive was kill everybody, kind of like associated with Matt as well.
Speaker 1: What was the other part of its directive? I don't remember a void being noticed, if possible.
Speaker 3: Well, he was definitely noticed, So that was kind of a. He definitely was noticed by several people.
Speaker 1: We'll get into that when when we reached that.
Speaker 2: Second we lost a few guys.
Speaker 1: That we lost at least one guy we've known for quite a long time. I uh get into that, and.
Speaker 2: I forget his name, the servant guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Lopen.
Speaker 3: I was actually quite said about it, surprisingly considering I couldn't remember his name.
Speaker 2: I was actually said.
Speaker 1: Open, Yeah, yeah, no, that was well because there was the whole sad thing with Nalisian in Crown of Swords also got killed in the fight with the golamb as I recall, right, and Lopen was really sad about that. I know, and now he has a similar fate. It's not the same fate. But we'll get into that a minute before we do all that, though, Alle, do you have any notes for about chapter eight? First, it took some notes.
Speaker 2: I guess I kind of forgot about notes part way through, just like Robert Jordan.
Speaker 3: Only took seven to ten business months to attack as if.
Speaker 1: Leads chapter nine. What you're looking at chapter nine? Going back to chapter eight, Oh yeah, my bad, because the golomb doesn't really show up until chapter nine. We have a whole chapter before we get there, which is why I wanted to do two chapters, because I was like, okay, we could do just the lead up chapter, or.
Speaker 3: Well then I only really have like two things for chapter one. That's okay, But I said go lam alert with many exclamation points, and then I said Tom threw a knife at him through true friendship. Oh yeah, uh, because some people might have been like, wow, that looks like it sucks, and like run away.
Speaker 2: They are talking about Genji. Oh please, oh please, oh please?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, because they were just talking about oh yeah whatever, we are making plans.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are to go to Genji. I said, call the travel agent. We're going to Genji.
Speaker 3: And I said, Varren will not come back, bro unless she's Jesus, which we already have that.
Speaker 2: We don't have that, so I don't think it's gonna be her.
Speaker 3: And then I put in all caps yippie, we're going bell kicks and joy.
Speaker 2: And then I said, oh fuck yeah.
Speaker 1: So chapter eighth to seventh stripe last, this is the chapter logo?
Speaker 2: Is it? It is a dice? But here's the thing. Can I rant about one thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the point.
Speaker 3: So I was all excited this chapter because finally like, yes, Genji time, it is time for the genj Let's go.
Speaker 2: Tower, Let's go.
Speaker 3: Matt probably losing an eye, let's go like all of my bingo slots, let's go.
Speaker 2: And then the Golom's like, all right.
Speaker 3: You know what, this is the time, not all those not all those books where like nothing was happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no offense.
Speaker 2: Everyone's like this black tun really it is.
Speaker 1: We could have.
Speaker 3: Attacked at any point during that It didn't do that big stretch of time since Chailand, like Thailand died when book eight. Okay, so books eight through twelve we had or thirteen, now right, we had Matt in a will they won't they?
Speaker 2: With the Empress of Evil?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and which I I'm like, all due respect, Matt has the worst women in these books.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He goes directly from from.
Speaker 2: Sexual Assailant McGee Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was literally gonna say mcgie too, Yeah, sexual Assailant McGhee.
Speaker 1: No offense there, I know, some lovely mcgeese.
Speaker 3: I personally want to quarrel with the mcgise, you know, you know one I know, yeah, but so you know, I feel I feel that that we could have in the time since Thailand and so in you know, eighty thousand books since then have had any point in which we could have attacked. But no, no, we have to do it right before Ali's hopes and dreams come true. Which, you know what, I don't want to complain.
Speaker 1: We're still getting it go.
Speaker 3: I'm still pleased, I'm still well. Pleased is probably the wrong word.
Speaker 1: I'm excited.
Speaker 2: It was still.
Speaker 1: Very like an Alley Champ face a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, because I was like, finally we've got him, we're cooking again.
Speaker 2: We're back. We're so back, baby. But then also I was like, but we were, we were about to go. We were about to do the thing I've been waiting for for also many books.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, I guess there's fewer books because I'm worried that this is going to become the Here's what I'm really worried about. I'm really worried about my bingo because because, because because if this becomes Quest to Kill Golam, that that throws off my timeline for when Moraine gets saved pretty significantly.
Speaker 1: Matt already has a time constraint, though, do you remember his time constraint.
Speaker 2: To save Moraine?
Speaker 1: No, he has a reason he can't do it. Yet why And it's something that actually comes up immediately. I forget the beginning of the chapter. Matt sat on a warm stool, his arms leaning against a dark wooden bar counter at a letter from Matt flipped a folded letter between two fingers of his right hand. That letter, on thick paper, was sealed with a glove of blood red wax. He'd been carrying it only a short time, but it was already a source of as much aggravation to him as any woman. Well maybe not nice, sense, I'm still sealed. Yes, do you remember the stipulation?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I forget that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I forgot about this letter. Barony gave him this letter right before she went to Iguain, and she said, you have to promise me that if you open it, you will do what it says. And he said, I'm not gonna no, and she goes, okay, fine, you don't have to open it. But if you don't open it, wait thirty days and then you can leave Caitlin. What this was I believe in exchange for agreeing to gateway him to Caitlin.
Speaker 2: And so she's like, okay.
Speaker 1: She said, okay, I will do this for you, but you have to do what it says in this letter after I leave.
Speaker 2: And he goes, how can she guarantee that that's going out?
Speaker 1: Then? Because she made him swear an oath on it.
Speaker 3: So we've got basically Pandora's box the letter, yeah, with basically the book's equivalent of Pandora, so that he's not gonna last thirty days about opening that thing.
Speaker 1: Well, if he opens it, he has to do what it says.
Speaker 2: I understand.
Speaker 3: But like we're talking about Matt Coffin in here, like knifey boy, he can't. I know, my ADHD King, we cannot resist a button that we can't.
Speaker 1: This is the same thing Arren. Varren said the same thing, right, she said, I'm gonna give this to Matt. He's gonna open it. He's gone, he's gonna Yeah.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I'm surprised he's lasted this long.
Speaker 1: It is pretty impressive.
Speaker 3: Because I would have lasted about thirty seconds, got a day if that I would have. Yeah, because the curiosity, Yeah, the curiosity that just like eats me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has to open it.
Speaker 1: Burn Varren for doing this to him. She held him by his oath like a fish caught on a hook.
Speaker 2: Sahdking. He can't resist it.
Speaker 1: I like that the name he has come up with, the nickname, the hiding name, is very close to his actual name. What is it. It's not Master Coffin, it's Master Crimson.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's my thinking about this one. Everybody in the books comes up with the worst secret identities possible. However, there is also a genius in it because if you have it close enough to your name then like it, then you will probably react to the name. Because if somebody goes like mister Jones and I'm not turning out, Yeah, I'm not turning around, but if it's like Bus instead of Gus like, you would turn around, probably because of just the sound.
Speaker 1: There's a whole Simpsons episode where they give he has to go in to witness protection. I don't remember the name they give him, but it's a whole long scene where they're trying to get him to respond to the name and telling him, no, no, that's you, and he Homer keeps it's very funny. I'll see if I can find the clip, but.
Speaker 2: It's super tough. Yeah, that would be hard for me having.
Speaker 1: A I think it's hello, mister Johnson. No, it'd be tough. It'd be tough.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So you know, while while it's close in a way where you're like, okay, you're also kind of like yeah. But he would respond if someone called him that probably or like have a better chance of responding, And they do say, like with a lie, having a livey as close to the truth as possible is always the move.
Speaker 1: Matt's at a bar, he's drinking with innkeeper Melly crab Crabe and creating there's what is the other silly goofy kinda Robert jordany character thing that is going on with Matt. People will say it's Brandon exclusive whatever. Throughout this whole section, Oh shit, I can't remember. He keeps on things about how attractive women are and then going, you know, for Tom, you know, for Tallmani's because I'm married. Here you go, hold on.
Speaker 2: I have a lot of thoughts about this.
Speaker 1: Matt would have given her his best smile. There was not a woman he'd met who did not melt for his best smile. But he was a married man now. He could not go breaking hearts. It would not be right. Though, leaning as she did showed some ample bosom. She was a short woman, but she kept the area behind the bar raised. Yes, nice bosom. Indeed, he figured she'd be good for a bit of kissing, perhaps tucked into one of the booths at the back of the tavern. Of course, Matt did not look at women anymore, not like that. He did not think about her for him to kiss. Maybe for Tallmanni's he was so stiff. A good kiss and cuddle will do him good. I mean.
Speaker 3: One, I don't think this is Brandon Sanderson exclusive because I believe that in a Robert Jordan book he put a coin on a woman's boobs.
Speaker 1: Oh no, I'm talking about the I'm not looking at women. I'm thinking about women for other Well, he frequently would do stuff like put coins in women's boobs.
Speaker 2: Yes, I feel like.
Speaker 3: When you're married, you don't necessarily stop noticing that people are attractive.
Speaker 1: Right, you don't. You don't necessarily go blind.
Speaker 2: No, you're married, you're not dead. But like, I feel like.
Speaker 3: The way that you think about it hopefully changes the like calculating making out with them. Yeah, like that that part is the part that I'm like hung up on. Is I'm like the plotting of like getting them alone and stuff is like, ye, I think.
Speaker 1: He's plotting anything. He's like, you know, it'd be fun to he's fantasizing. Yeah, I mean, I'm not saying that's huge different I think.
Speaker 2: I think it's this thing of like you notice and then you're like shut that down though like you.
Speaker 3: Don't like like don't don't don't don't feed.
Speaker 1: Its like not what he's doing.
Speaker 2: You don't feed it.
Speaker 3: I feel like he's feeding it.
Speaker 2: But but but like but like but like the pivot, the pivot happens a little late.
Speaker 3: Sure, do you know what full paragraph?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm not here to be the thought police for anyone in particular. I'm just like, I think that a lot of the time we get into trouble as a society, as a specie when.
Speaker 2: We feed thoughts too long.
Speaker 3: When you go down a path for too long, you start to it starts to become.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know. I'm struggling with how to kind of like talk about this. I guess I guess you kind of go like, oh, that person's attractive anyway.
Speaker 3: Like that's kind of like I feel like when you're in a monogamous married relationship, that's like about as much noticing as I feel like, yeah, yeah, I get that appropriate, Like because once you get to the fantasy fantasizing stage, I'm like that once you start allowing that train of thought to go, because we have control over our thoughts to a certain like you do have the ability to go, I'm going to pivot away from that because I'm starting to go down a path of like planning on how to cheat on my wife.
Speaker 1: Right, that is a different thing, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Where it's like, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Do also think it's important to mention with the mat situation. He didn't have a choice in the getting married thing. I think that that. I don't think that colors this a little bit. Well, he thinks he does.
Speaker 3: Well, he thinks well, he thinks a lot of things that I just found mentally disagree with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I think he I'm not saying it's cool to cheat on people and arrangement, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, I feel like there's more. There's a lot of nuance to unpack here, which is why I'm like.
Speaker 1: There's a lot we could spend talking about here. But I don't think that's the most important thing in the chapter.
Speaker 3: Forced into this in a way, Yeah, where like it's not his choice as overtly as like say Land and nine Eve, where I'm like, you make a solemn vow to somebody that you love deeply that you will not, you know, betray them fundamentally so that you know you can relax in your life with at least one person right without fear that that person is going to rip the rug out from under you utterly, even though it's still a possibility. You're like, I'm taking a gamble on you that you're not going to fuck me up so much that I have to have therapy for a thousand yees. Yeah, So, like you know, you have to kind of be very thoughtful about the person that you pick, because it's like, just because they're fun to hang out with does not make them lifelong.
Speaker 1: Material and their material necessarily.
Speaker 3: Like, you know, I know plenty of people who are like, yeah, like the dating stage was great, and then you get married and have kids, and all of a sudden, it's like, oh, the person I married is the person I married, Like they were really fun and they don't want to stop having fun long enough to like help me with the kids, you know, things like that. But like you know, you hopefully enter into a marriage with your eyes wide open about who a person is, which is why it's always shocking to me when people are like, I've known this person and maybe this is just me because we knew each.
Speaker 1: Other forever and every.
Speaker 3: Ten years before we got married, and we're together for eight years, so by then I felt like I knew you pretty fucking well, pretty well. When people are like, I married him and we knew each other six months.
Speaker 1: It's surprising that I wouldn't say surprising, but I go, that's and you got a lot to learn, probably, and I don't many people have this happen works out perfectly, fine, this can work. And my dear friend's parents met and got engaged in like a month.
Speaker 3: I think that maybe I'm just somebody, maybe because I'm a child of divorce and so I've seen firsthand how these things can go, and my parents have been married each more than once.
Speaker 2: I feel like I find that decision.
Speaker 3: To be wild just for me personally, because I'm like, you are trusting someone with your mental health, your physical health, your future, your heart, your life, like you know, because I mean statistically, also, your spouse is the most likely yestic.
Speaker 1: Like I think we've wanted a little far.
Speaker 3: But I'm just no because because it's all related, because I think he was kind of ill prepared for and like I don't think they've known each other, know each other, barely know each other.
Speaker 2: I think he's very young. Also, what is each one?
Speaker 1: They're about twenty two now.
Speaker 3: To me, they have the makings of a Mulligan marriage, you know what I mean, Like golf, a Mulligan is like a false start.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah. And I think the other thing is he didn't really get to he didn't have a choice in this, and he's had no time to adjust.
Speaker 2: I just feel like.
Speaker 3: Matt has had like no agency in any of his relationships with what that Yes, he correct and that is troubling to me because I feel like nothing has been his choice.
Speaker 1: There are people who say that's his come upance for slapping barmaid's butts and stuff. I don't agree with that.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: I don't like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we we want to go the justice or sexual assaults, sexual assault, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I mean, and I for I makes the whole world blind, right, Like I don't necessarily like this idea of like oh, vigilante justice is like, yeah, I mean, I get that karma is a thing, and you know, we we've talked about this, I think a bit on the podcast about the nature of that. But I think karma is more like you having to live with who you are right right, right, and also like if you do a bad thing, you then are perpetuating. Okay, I get to live in a world where these bad things happen, you know.
Speaker 2: But but but but so.
Speaker 3: I think there's a lot of nuance to unpack here about his checking people out because I think he's very young, in my mind, young too young to be married and just don't mean to put that on people.
Speaker 1: He just got married by accident to a woman who is the head of a slaving empire. Yeah, he has had very little time to just I don't.
Speaker 2: Think she's morally a very good person.
Speaker 1: To be honest with you, I agree with this. I also find this whole thing really funny. Yeah, because he's rewriting his thought process on the fly, and I think it's very funny.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, and I think, I mean, I think that's what you should do. But I think him rewriting him catching the thoughts is very laid on which I find like, I'm just sitting there going I know.
Speaker 1: But it's Matt, And Matt has never been self aware of.
Speaker 2: Any capacity like skipping down the road of cheating.
Speaker 1: I know, but I don't think he's got it.
Speaker 3: No, because well I would be afraid for my life if I cheated on that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So all this going on Melly crabe, he's like, she grabs letters. She goes, well, I could open it, and I could, I could tell you what's in it. And he's like, no, no, no, that's the same thing. And then she starts like peeling off the ceiling like no, no, no, no, give me the fucking letter. Mellie, stop it.
Speaker 2: That's wildly mail fraud.
Speaker 1: You never did tell me who it was from. Mellie said, she's a lover, isn't she got you tied up in her strings. Matt is like, I mean no, but also yes no to the first part, yes, the second part.
Speaker 2: This line of questioning is crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh. And then anyway, eventually, eventually he gets out of this situation and he's at a bar, he's drinking. Well.
Speaker 3: Also she's like openly hitting on him, and not one point does he go, I'm married so.
Speaker 1: Is she she's she's doing she's doing customer service married, the customer service flirting, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, No, she's openly hitting on him. And I feel like, you know, you know, it's a thing where like you start to notice the vibe and you just immediately figure out how to drop into the conversation that you have a spouse in a casual way.
Speaker 1: It's like my.
Speaker 3: Husband always says, yeah, you know, Ladi Dad. I feel like, I don't know, he's just very young, and I just don't think that he is, that he is as into her as he thinks he is.
Speaker 1: Well, actually, hold on, I'm sorry, because later the bouncer Berg eyed him. Berg had a face ugly enough to make his own mother wins the shoulder. Thumber did not like Matt, and from the way Berg looked at Melly, that was probably because he figured Matt was trying to make eyes at his woman. Never mind that Matt had explained he was married and did not do that sort of thing any longer. Some men would be jealous no matter what they were told. Well, the whole thing is very silly. I mean, like I think that this is none of this is meant to be.
Speaker 5: I don't disagree with getting seriously seriously, but I just I don't know.
Speaker 2: I always I always feel like.
Speaker 3: Men having a wandering eyes A lot of the time viewed is like funny. I just am really interested to think about what, uh what a woman character who has just gotten married, who is thinking these kinds.
Speaker 2: Of how she would be received.
Speaker 3: By the general public. I don't think it would be as as as like something funny. I don't think people would find that funny. I think it's interesting, Like there's just a double standard.
Speaker 1: I think we're gonna take an ad break and then we'll be right back, welcome back. Uh so, yeah, Matt's at the bar. He's wearing a lace coat with just a little his his fashion sense is evolving. Reminder, what else is going on that is concerning about Matt and parent.
Speaker 2: They can see each other when they think about.
Speaker 1: Each other, not that somebody has circulated pictures of them to all the Dark Friends, which in hindsight, is where Varren got the picture oh of him?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Is that? Oh sure she was a dark friend? Oh yeah, so yeah she said I got this from Dark Friends, and it's like, well, yeah you did, because you're on.
Speaker 2: Uh now where did they get the picture?
Speaker 1: There was several books ago. The Forsaken were like, let's fuck these guys up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but like, where did they get the picture?
Speaker 1: It's a sketch.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I'm assuming it's a sketch, But like, did they describe the sketch to the person or did the Because it's not like Matt and parent sat for the sketchy.
Speaker 1: This has been enough people have seen them.
Speaker 2: I think where they just had somebody describe them like a police sketch guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh. He makes eyes the serving girl and thinks about how she would be good for Tom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we should not be making eyes.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: He was a married man, could not afford to charm her, but he could keep an eye out for his friends. Tom might like her.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I mean that is the fun of being married.
Speaker 3: Is you start like thinking, oh, this person's great, Like I know somebody who would be great with them.
Speaker 2: That is fun.
Speaker 3: The match making is fun.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, making.
Speaker 1: Eyes, he grins at her. I look, I agree with you, but I think that for the most part, his behavior is I mean, here's the thing.
Speaker 2: We can't always control our thoughts. We can't control our response to our thoughts.
Speaker 3: I just no, I know, yeah, I'm just like, it could be a dangerous path.
Speaker 1: I agree. Matt leaves his but he goes to another bar called the dead Man's Breath. He's dicing with, you know, I mean, there's a lot of stuff. It's kind of He gets some news from these people, which is about what that you that you started talking about. Immediately go on go on, very exciting. With his throat ripped out without blood, Matt is like, beg your fucking pardon. He leaves, He runs out, bloodless corpse always good, uh runs always.
Speaker 2: The work is something very normal.
Speaker 1: And the forsaken hunting him. A picture of his face in the pocket of every footpad in the city, and a corpse killed and drained of its blood. That could only mean one thing. The Golam was in Kamlin. It seemed impossible that it could have gotten here this quickly.
Speaker 2: Copies.
Speaker 1: I think they just like a scribe, sit down and copy one hundred over and.
Speaker 2: Over and over again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, well no, they have a printing press.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they don't have like their faces printing pressed. Like I thought about the printing press thing. Believe me, I thought about.
Speaker 1: It, but I made a m yeah, okay, because they do have that's that's that's one of the things about the industrial revolution, or rather the breaking they kept the printing press.
Speaker 3: Are they just kidnapped a bunch of amateur described maybe kidnapped like half of vent And we're like, all right, Scribe.
Speaker 1: He's stressed out. He's he hasn't talked to Elaine yet. He's tried to talk to Elaine, but Elaine won't talk to him, and he's like, wow, how ungrateful? Uh?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: He had sent word to her but had not gotten a reply. How was that for gratitude? By his count, He'd saved her life twice once should have been enough to reduce her to tears and kisses. But he had not even seen a peck on the cheek, not that he wanted one, not from royalty bes to avoid them. You're married to a bloody high lady of a shan chance, he thought, daughter of the Empress herself. There was no avoiding royalty. Oh blah blah bah blah, bah blah blahlahlah.
Speaker 2: Well, I know she's probably the Empress.
Speaker 1: So well we know that she has declared herself at this point right, the chapter called the Death of tuon. Remember you were so excited.
Speaker 2: Oh oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh what else is he trying to get done while in uh Camlin by the way, it involves Bell Founders and iron works.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's trying to get cannons, man.
Speaker 1: Get the dragons made. Oh, an ambulance going by. He's just chilling, gambling, and he's like, I'm supposed to be fucking around. I don't want to deal with this. I'm supposed to just sit here for thirty days fucking around. I want to do this.
Speaker 2: I'm on vak.
Speaker 1: He he gets, oh god, this part, he gets this whole stressful like trauma response thing about how he left Thailand tied up under the bed and the goal alomb tore her head off, and he feels bad about it.
Speaker 2: Well, to be fair, you couldn't have seen that coming.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean I get it trauma responses or trauma responses.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, anyway, Okay, So there's a lot of him thinking and a lot of recap. He goes to the inn where Thom is performing as tailand sucks, silent, fucking sucks.
Speaker 2: I don't think she deserved well.
Speaker 1: To literally get her head torn off.
Speaker 2: I don't know if a nuanced. He goes, I want to be like sexual desert.
Speaker 3: Wow, I don't want to be out here defending sexual assam. But I'm also like again justice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the whole topic anyway. I don't need to go through every piece of this. He goes to the end where Tom's performing. What happens you pointed out in your notes.
Speaker 2: Uh. Tom throws a knife at Tom.
Speaker 1: Hanks a knife at him because what.
Speaker 2: Because uh, Matt annoyed him?
Speaker 1: No fuck. He goes down to the stage and he's like, all right, time to go. He starts scooping up the coins. Oh, and Matt. Tom hawks a knife at him and pins his sleeve to the table, and Matt is like, what the fuck? This is a nice coat. You're such a dick Tom, and Tom goes, be glad I did not aim for the hand. I almost wish you would have, Matt said, blood would not have shown that much on the black, but the stitching will be obvious. Just because you wear more patches than cloak doesn't mean I want to imitate you. And you complain you're not a lord. I'm not. And never mind what Tuan said, burn you, I'm no bloody nobleman. Ever heard of a farmer complaining that his coat stitches would show you don't have to be a lord to want to dress with some sense.
Speaker 2: I feel as though Matt has gotten used to the finer.
Speaker 1: Thing he really has. Matt and nine Eve's journey from who they were at the beginning of the books to people who like nice clothing is one of my favorite little subtle things to catch on the reread.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know, nice clothing is nice, nothing wrong with loving fashion.
Speaker 1: Tells them about the Golam and Tom's like, well, you know, you could open the letter, and Matt is like I could also not open the letter and we could just wait it out. So they go back to camp.
Speaker 2: But you're gonna but is this gonna be What if.
Speaker 1: The letter says stay in Camelin for a year, right? What if the letter says, you know, go to Tarvalen and tell so and so because you know what if the letter says take the band of the Red Hand and sail across the sea.
Speaker 2: If the letters, I mean, I'm assuming the letter says go save mo Rain.
Speaker 1: You domass there already know to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but He's like heaven and hunt about it? Well, okay yo, because what does a side quest? Could there be? What other thing does Matt need to do?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: The other question, why does she say, okay, then if you don't open it, just stay in case.
Speaker 3: What if it's that she knows where I don't know, maybe she knows where Damon Dread is or maybe she knows.
Speaker 2: But why would she wait? Why would she give Matt that information?
Speaker 1: Mats Scott a private army.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's a way to get into Genji.
Speaker 1: Matt's got a private army. None of the other people have a private army.
Speaker 2: Paren kind of does what would we need to well, Okay, wait, let's sit with this.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying if you're thinking about it being like a forsaken or a military threat, then that would be the reason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just I'm just thinking because Okay, so Barren, before she died, right, compile the list of whoeveryone who.
Speaker 2: Like everyone like her whole thing was like.
Speaker 3: Tracking all of the dark friends Black Goud just specifically in the White Tower, figuring out who they are. So it's got to have something to do. I think probably with her work, right, it would make sense because because like just thinking about it from an authorial perspective, right, we're wanting to create threads in advance of like what I didn't really even linger on this very long while I was reading, but now I'm now I'm realizing.
Speaker 2: I should have.
Speaker 3: So we want that letter reveal because we've talked about it a bunch and like it's of course, we love a mystery and we want that letter opened. And that letter's going to be opened no matter what, and he's gonna open it at a climactic moment that we wanted to happen at.
Speaker 2: Varren's whole thing.
Speaker 3: Was like subterfuge figuring out who and where everyone was. Right, So that's why I kind of went with, like, maybe she knows where Damon Dread is. That could work, It could make She would tell Matt that information though, is interesting, right.
Speaker 1: Well, and why not just come right out and say it.
Speaker 2: We know in the right exactly, It's like, why leave it in a letter and leave it up to chance, a.
Speaker 1: Letter which realistically she's expecting will be opened after her death.
Speaker 2: Right did everyone have any extra abilities? Really? Like there wasn't any, Like.
Speaker 1: Sorry, by the way, if there's wind.
Speaker 2: But she was very into prophecy right in the first couple of books. Yeah, she had. She had like a lot of interest in prophecy.
Speaker 3: She like at a certain point like translate like translated, or like kind of dark.
Speaker 1: Prophecy bloodlod Bloo Bloodloo blood.
Speaker 3: The first time I saw her, like why leave things up to chance? I guess with maybe, okay, and why Matt this is interesting? I said the words why leave things up to chance?
Speaker 1: And then I like thought about Matt and Matt right, his whole thing.
Speaker 3: Is, And so I'm like, Okay, maybe it has something to do with that, because she's leaving things up to chance with a person who were chances there like whole bag right, right, So and she would know that because she's really observant.
Speaker 2: She's really smart. She's a little smarter than people give her credit for.
Speaker 1: Oh I should also, by the way, just speaking of chance, I forgot to mention the dice start uh rattling when he hears about the Golam.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, of course it would. I feel like he and the Golamb have like a longer.
Speaker 3: Well, this is interesting because it feels like he's got three plots right now, right, and so I'm just trying to kind of figure out how they're all going to connect and thread together, because like one is the Moraine save Moraine plot, right, which we're like, that's definitely going to be a thing I think time.
Speaker 1: I mean, it makes sense because it feels like and you've i mean.
Speaker 2: Next book is going to be like it's going to be too rushed.
Speaker 1: You've seen the cover this book.
Speaker 3: But then we've got the golam so and he's kind of got to have this like memory thing worked out and all that stuff. So I'm like, I don't and I don't feel like the letter is going to be like go save Moraine because like that we already know they have that as like a thing he's got to.
Speaker 2: Go do so well.
Speaker 1: And the other thing I want to keep in mind here, why is the alternative to opening the letter stay in Camelin for a month?
Speaker 3: That's the other thing I was just about to get to is like why why does he need to stay in Camelin? So does it have to do with Elane? Is there something surrounding Elaine that is important? Who is near a lane Elaine or who else is in Camlin right now?
Speaker 2: Just Elaine?
Speaker 1: Right, Elaine and her crew, and.
Speaker 2: She won't see him.
Speaker 1: She's not making she's not making it a priority.
Speaker 2: He can't get close to her to talk to her. Why is he there?
Speaker 1: Why is he there? Yeah, he was trying to get well. He was just marching back east. I mean, if he just happens to be they if Varren said, I'll gateway you to Camlin and then you can go wherever you want.
Speaker 3: Why did she So she wants him in Camelin seems like it. Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, face the sorry.
Speaker 3: Okay, sorry sorry, sorry, okay. So she wants him in Camlin for thirty days or whatever is in the letter. So whatever it is, it's got to have been like, I can't leave this because she's not going to leave something up to chance. If like, if it's important and it was important enough to visit him right before she died, take him to Camlin and then give him this letter. So she's got to think that if he stays in Camlin, either way it's a win, like either he like, because she's not going to leave it up to chance. So either he has to stay in Caitlin for thirty days or the letter gives him some instruction of what he needs to do in Camlin. So it's God has something to do with Caitlin.
Speaker 1: Seems reasonable.
Speaker 2: What what's going on with the Lane right now?
Speaker 1: She's pregnant, she said Stany Caylen for thirty days or until I get back, I.
Speaker 2: Believe, But she knows she's not coming back.
Speaker 1: She had a contingency where she might be able to unswear the dark Oaths, but didn't anticipate that happening.
Speaker 2: Right, So, so.
Speaker 1: Either he waits thirty days or she comes back being able to tell him to being able to betray to Hell the shadow, right is the only reason.
Speaker 3: With something that is happening in Camelin right now. So Elaine's pregnant. You know that with twins, we know that she can't necessarily have anything bad happen to her while she is.
Speaker 2: Can't die pregnant, well yeah, yeah, yeah, she could lose a finger.
Speaker 1: I guess she could be imprisoned and have all of her limbs cut off, But you can't die.
Speaker 2: She's not going to die while she's pregnant.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: How pregnant is she?
Speaker 1: Like? Four months?
Speaker 3: Okay, so it's not like she's gonna give birth in the.
Speaker 1: Next She's not super pregnant.
Speaker 5: Though, Okay, despite the fact that it's for her, right that guy who keeps like killing people that she sends to follow him, who's that guy?
Speaker 1: David Hanlin.
Speaker 3: Yes, And that's kind of like the bulk of what's going on with her because she's won the throne at this point. Yeah, like she doesn't have anything really happening, so why does she need to And then what is with the Golamb?
Speaker 2: And the Golamb's.
Speaker 3: Instructions are to kill anyone who like is close to matt In any way, last we saw.
Speaker 1: David Hamlin, he's in jail, just just just to mention that.
Speaker 3: And he's building dragons while he's there, right, Okay, So it feels like he has a bunch of plot lines diverging, like con converging. Right now, He's got the Moraine thing, he's got the dragons, he's got the Golamb, and he's got whatever Varrein's letter is. What is the connecting thread between these things Elaine's pregnancy David Hanlin. That Elaine doesn't really have a lot going on, so it's got to have something to do with but it's got to have something to do with her.
Speaker 1: Then maybe why not give the letter to Elane.
Speaker 3: Could the Golamb? Could it be about him needing to stay there to figure out how to kill Golamb maybe because they could be a big problem. Or is it about the dragons?
Speaker 1: Well, as far as we know, there's only one Golamb.
Speaker 2: But why does it need to be a secret? Why?
Speaker 3: And like what is the timing issue? Like it's got to be something that is imminent in Camlin that she knows is coming that potentially has something to do with Elane where he can't leave Camlin until this happens.
Speaker 2: Oh God, this is gonna bug me.
Speaker 3: Why does he need to stay in Camlin for thirty days? Whatever's in the letter is basically going to tell him the same thing. Probably because she's smart, she's not gonna give this. It doesn't have to do with the dragons because he's building them anyway, so that's not something that she needs to worry about.
Speaker 2: Who are the do you want to chess pieces who are still on the table?
Speaker 1: Do you want to sit on this for a while and come back to it or do you want to continue pondering that.
Speaker 2: I feel like Varion's whole thing is secret identities.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, that was her great work was exposing the Black Audiam. But if that's the case, why not put it in the book that she gave to.
Speaker 3: Agwaine Because it has something to do with Elaine and Matt. Okay, it's something she knows Elaine and Matt need to do. Maybe it's but it's got to have something to do with staying in Camlin for thirty days, because yeah, like she's like, it's she's going to give herself be in position to have a win either way. But she knows Matt Coffin and she knows he'll probably open the letter, but she's gonna get put herself in a position where worse comes to worse. She wins either way. So him staying Camelin is important, which implies that something potentially faded is going on in Camelin, something something that she knows is going to.
Speaker 2: Be needing his skills, his abilities. Is a battle coming?
Speaker 1: What battle would be coming?
Speaker 3: She Camelan specifically, that's a really good question, something where she's like, okay, we need Chance Boy and his army there.
Speaker 1: What battle could be coming?
Speaker 3: I mean we just finish off battling for succession, right, so I mean it could be a continuation.
Speaker 2: Of that where they try again.
Speaker 1: It could be doubt it.
Speaker 2: We know that the well, I mean there's a last battle.
Speaker 3: Sure, he wants to stay in Camelin for the last battle, but that's not gonna work because he has to leave to go to Genji. Sure, yeah, I mean unless there's a way to go to Genji.
Speaker 6: Well, where is Genji without leaving? Where is Genji is nearby? It's in western and or Okay, right, it's not crazy far.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he's promised her not to leave Camelin specifically, right. I don't think he's going to break that. I mean, he could break the promise, nothing's necessarily.
Speaker 1: I don't think he would, but I don't think he would would. So the whole beginning of this chapter is about him saying, I'm not going to break my word.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think he's going to break his word. But I mean, I guess there could be a red door in Kann isn't Could they be?
Speaker 1: Uh? Doorways? Believe I will just tell you this, The doorways and Genji operate under different rules. Okay, just just I think this is relevant information. Going through the doorways is like entering a foyer. Going in through Genji is like breaking a window.
Speaker 3: And you'd want to do that because you don't want them to like expect you coming right, Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: And he's got his whole chance thing and she knows about that, and he's got his like holes in his memory, and he's got all this like battle knowledge out of nowhere.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's got to have to do with a battle. Battles interest him.
Speaker 1: Battles do interest him from day one.
Speaker 2: Tim So.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I guess he she wants in there for the last battle. Could be or there's something else coming. I mean Land's going to the blight. The Blight's coming southward. Yeah, and have something to do with that.
Speaker 1: Everybody has always the Tarwin's Gap is the place.
Speaker 2: So but Andrew's far away from that, and Or is far.
Speaker 1: Away from that. Tell you what will you'll you can mull on this a little more. Will We'll take an ad break. We actually have to go to a go to a conference session. But we'll come back and we will we'll keep on keeping on a little later today.
Speaker 2: It's gonna drive me crazy.
Speaker 1: We're back. We're still under a tree. Okay, you thought about it to talk about this morrow? Okay, what else is there to do the golomb and everything else that happens.
Speaker 2: We'll get there. Okay. So here's what's going on with me. This is driving me crazy. We're thinking about okay. So I was looking at the map and.
Speaker 1: See I'm making the louder gesture at her and she's not getting louder.
Speaker 3: I'm working on it, but I'm in my contemplation voice, and my contemplation voice and isn't always very loud.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing I.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I was sitting here going, okay, it's got to be something having to do with Camlin, because you wouldn't force him to stay in Camlin if she wasn't like, okay, I need and he has a big army. It's not going to be anything that's like channeling related, right, because he'd be useless. So it's got to be like some kind of army. I think she's thinking that there's gonna be some kind of surprise attack.
Speaker 1: Wait, there's another. We keep on encountering spiders. I think we need to go sit on the bench. Ally, yeah, okay, we're gonna go sit on the bench, but we'll we'll walk and talk on our way. I can't pick up my backpack and hold the phone. Okay, we'll fine, were spider Man, We're surrounded. There's spiders everywhere. We've sat in the wrong place. The tree. The tree has rejected us.
Speaker 2: Sorry trees. All right, So you were saying, okay, all right, well hold on, let's get to the bench.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, we've traded spiders for some car noise.
Speaker 2: All right. So here's thinking.
Speaker 3: All right, so Varren, he's not a risk taker. She wants Matt in Camelin for a reason. I feel like it wouldn't be even actually that surprising. If he opened up the letter and it was like, stay in Camlin for thirty.
Speaker 1: Days, that would be realistic, actually really fun, that would be very funny.
Speaker 2: Wait, I would kind of love that from her.
Speaker 1: That would be really fucking Well. Then then would he open it or would he wait thirty days and then open it? Actually, no, no matter when he opens it, he has to do the instructions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, stay in Camelin until X.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So yeah, like the last battle's coming. But I feel like they're not like and yeah, that might be fought all over the world.
Speaker 2: You know, in a way. But I'm like.
Speaker 3: Elaine is very vulnerable right now, right because I have a feeling that they know the dragon's into her.
Speaker 2: Right, she's pregnant.
Speaker 1: No one know and literally has I'm sorry, yeah, and.
Speaker 2: No one knows who the father is, right.
Speaker 3: I feel like somebody at some point is going to put two in two.
Speaker 1: Days their quotes. Nobody knows.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like somehow that information's gotta get out, right they already.
Speaker 1: Go because it's obviously not David fucking Handling.
Speaker 2: No, it's obviously obvious dark friend there is.
Speaker 1: He's in jail now too.
Speaker 2: She should have done is like get fake, get Lavender married to.
Speaker 3: Somebody tell me I'm wrong, you're right, get publicly lavender married to. I don't know who's like the gayest person in the.
Speaker 1: Books, Charles Guy, Allan Luca. It's not Charles Guybond Valan Luca definitely not.
Speaker 2: I mean in my head, but at least the way he.
Speaker 1: Was behaving towards ninetieth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's Robert Jordan. Like Robert Jordan makes the gay man head on women.
Speaker 1: Who was the gayest man? There is a canonically gay dude, but he doesn't show up.
Speaker 3: Until but you know what I mean, Like get Lavender, I'm sure someone in the royal family, Like everybody's whispering about, get Lavender married to that guy, right, have an agreement.
Speaker 2: We're near a style spoilers for House the Dragon. But he's been for several years.
Speaker 3: So get Lavender married, do your thing, chicken wang right and then But yeah, but she's vulnerable, and I feel like somebody's gonna put two hundred together that these are the dragon reborns babies that she's carrying, Right, someone's gonna figure it out.
Speaker 2: Right, it's obvious. So she's vulnerable. Also, Camelin's on the way to Tarvalin.
Speaker 3: If like things are coming through like the north, it also would help to take the south, So then you pincerr Tarvalin between these two forces.
Speaker 2: That sucks.
Speaker 1: Sure, Camelin is pretty central to the whole continent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the problem kind.
Speaker 1: Of the east.
Speaker 2: But is it's like you control Camlin.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but how are you gonna get there? Because Camelin is So this is what I've been thinking about. Cameln is show.
Speaker 3: Me a map, Show you show me the map, show you hold on, I gotta see who's where, wheel of time map.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry if this is making weird clicking noises.
Speaker 3: So I'm not trying to think of like all the places in place because it can't be, like because I thought my initial thing was like, oh, the Aushamon, but I was like, well, it can't be because I'm like, if Varren knew there was a surprise attack coming to Camlin, is this what you.
Speaker 1: Were thinking of throughout the whole conference session? No?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, Well, like like I let my.
Speaker 1: Because I was going to be very impressed.
Speaker 2: I let my subconscious do on it. My conscious mind was busy.
Speaker 1: So here's Tarwin's gap up here right, here's tarv Allen, Here's Camlin. The Black Tower is right outside of Camlin. This down here farmatting You you mentioned the Borderlanders, they're down here. Ah, I like that.
Speaker 2: I don't like that. This is I don't like that.
Speaker 1: Thee shann Over his something weird.
Speaker 2: Going on with those Borderlanders.
Speaker 1: Now, well they what do they want? Ally? They want something? They want to talk to him? Are they going to talk to him? It's unclear they were they gonna They're gonna slap the ship out of him.
Speaker 2: That is an interesting thing.
Speaker 3: Because we also haven't really had any like dark friend wealth, not wealthy people like royalty really other than Moraine's uncle, right, but there's.
Speaker 1: President, there's precedent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it would be very helpful to have dark friend.
Speaker 1: It would be nobility.
Speaker 2: I mean, don't you think you'd recruit the shit out of those people?
Speaker 1: But they don't always have so eat the rich. Yes, but they also don't always. They often are not the people striving for status they.
Speaker 2: Have, that's a joke, done, eat anybody.
Speaker 1: What they're not the people striving for status. Dark friends are usually people who want more, right.
Speaker 2: Okay, there is no point at which it's.
Speaker 1: Ever enough for those people, that's true. True. Come on, you can't pull the phone away. It's the recording device.
Speaker 2: That's why billionaires exist. They're like, there's just never enough.
Speaker 3: There's never enough money, right, Like, we never get to a point where we're like done trying to conquer the fucking world.
Speaker 2: That's stupid anyway.
Speaker 3: So it could be that that's just like a group of bad nobles.
Speaker 1: Who in the border it's all of the royalty.
Speaker 3: Well, because they've also been getting fucked over and over and over again up north they have, and so after a certain point of seeing that much suffering and just being exposed to that much shit. After a certain point, you're like, this isn't a losing exactly what I'm saying, That's what I'm saying, is like it might not just end with Inktar. That could be right, Like they might also be like, we're gonna lose, so let's join Amstead.
Speaker 1: Sonoby is there too, though, with this group.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't know if Tanobi is good.
Speaker 1: No, we don't.
Speaker 2: We rarely know her. We've just heard about her. We listen. Plenty of people are shitty cousins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: Plenty of good people are shitty cousins. The good people are shitty parents.
Speaker 1: The guy from Eye of the World whose name is suddenly escaping me because I haven't thought about him in a while. Uh, the guy, the guy, the General. Oh, my fucking god, the fucking guy, the General, the guy at the end of the book.
Speaker 2: Who the guy?
Speaker 1: The Guy, the General, the guy. God, damn it, what the fuck he's the Hey?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they say, here is.
Speaker 1: With this group?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but it wasn't. His sister dark Round didn't know.
Speaker 2: Wait what happened?
Speaker 1: His sister was manipulated by Leandren. Leandron was like, I could kick the kick the slap the ship out.
Speaker 3: I'm I'm just saying it seems like Varion is aware that there may be a surprise attack coming from normals. So it's not going to be the Aschamon, right, it's not going to be And I'm just like, what other armies are there? I guess the shan Channer possibility banked over here.
Speaker 1: They're over here but there and they just got well, they had a pretty even fight in Tarbalan.
Speaker 3: Okay, so they had like but they ultimately got spanked and now they're back here again.
Speaker 1: Carolics can't exactly get here. No, they can't go through gate.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess like we could have away gate open, but it sounds.
Speaker 3: Like the ants are going to war, right basically with the fucking.
Speaker 1: They went to what did they do? They went to all the steading right and they shut well.
Speaker 3: And they shut all the way gates right, So that's probably not gonna happen. So I don't think it's Troalis like I'm trying to just eliminate things like the shaw chan It seems like well because then because again I'm thinking about this pincer thing right right where I'm like, if they come in through the north. They're gonna want a group in the south. So I'm like, but wouldn't be the shawan Chan then, because that would require something in the north. And we know that that like, this area is getting absolutely spanked right now, right the Shinar that area, Like at the very beginning of this book, didn't we like check in with a guy and his son.
Speaker 1: And yeah, invasion has started from the north.
Speaker 2: Where where was that chetch?
Speaker 1: And I think it's it's up here, it's the coming out of the blood. We're going.
Speaker 3: We're going to Tarvalan, I swear to God, like they want to spank Jarvalen again.
Speaker 1: So as a reminder, and this would be a good time to do it.
Speaker 3: You know why what because they're already they've already just like first of all, they've just kind of restabilized. Yeah right again, I do think Damon Dred must be in the north.
Speaker 1: You have bounced around a lot on Damon Dred.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I'm just like, because whoever, like the south.
Speaker 3: Is not prepared for the the forces, destabilizing that area would be a good idea.
Speaker 1: The other thing I want to point out, by the way, when remember where Rand said igwayn should meet him when they're basically ready ready for the last battle field of Marillore, which is right here, it's just north of Tarvalen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'm thinking, I'm thinking Damon Dred might be in this farmatting.
Speaker 1: The farm matting Borderlanders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he somehow is fucking with them. Yeah, because he wants basically on his command right for this group in the north and this and this group in the south to Pincer and or Tarvaalin area. Well, this is kind of because if he can get, if he can get and or he's got like a like a clear shot to tar Vallen.
Speaker 1: So you're thinking, and then this group is why would Farren know this?
Speaker 2: She was a dark front.
Speaker 1: Does that mean she's privy to all the military plants?
Speaker 3: I mean she is privy to a lot of shit. Sure, she's been privy to a lot of ship Like I have a feeling, I mean, why wouldn't she be like somehow able to know this ship well, because well because if there the plan.
Speaker 2: Has attacked Tarvallen again, right, eventually that would get a.
Speaker 1: Crop, get a lane one of the well because Elaine.
Speaker 2: Is also a really valuable bargaining chip.
Speaker 1: Kaitlyn think about it. Well, here's the other thing, I guess if you're if you're thinking somebody's taking from formatting up and Tarvalin down, Caitlin is a pretty natural resupply point or a pretty natural junction choke point for a lot of different things, so you would want to control it. Yeah, right, You could also get up to Kyrieene from there.
Speaker 2: It could also be the sean Chan.
Speaker 1: It could, but the shaun Chin are not explicitly in league with the Dark Fronts no, right, so why would Baron have knowledge for that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's got to be it's got to be dark. That's a really good point. It's got to be dark Fronds specific. Plus, I feel like the shan Chan are doing other ship. They have their sights on Tarbalan right right, But Elaine, Oh it's Chachin. Oh yeah, look at that look from Chachin. That Chachin is like a straight shot down to and or weird though, because none of this is right there, Well, where's Camelin?
Speaker 1: Camlin is right there at those crossroads.
Speaker 2: I'm super close to for I'm atting, No, it's not very far.
Speaker 1: It's about Chachen three hundred miles.
Speaker 2: And then go Chachin down.
Speaker 1: How far is this is basically Louisiana up to the middle of Missouri. Okay, but that's southern Louisiana.
Speaker 2: Why you're crazy trip No, Like, well.
Speaker 1: Not Missouri, I'm sorry, Alabama. Chauchin down, Chatchen to Camlin, North Dakota down to.
Speaker 3: Uh Everyone in Atlanta in the US is like, okay, so that's pretty far.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a hoof.
Speaker 1: But like that was for European I don't know, Denmark down to uh uh Athens. That's not far enough Denmark to Croatia.
Speaker 3: And we also do have gateways as a possibility, right, like, so you know, but I'm just feeling like there's gonna be some and Elaine is a very useful bargaining chip.
Speaker 2: Would be if you have her.
Speaker 1: You have a dragon, basically have children.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have his unborn children and his wife one of.
Speaker 1: His wives, one of his wives.
Speaker 3: I feel like she's very useful and valuable as a prisoner.
Speaker 2: Probably right, we are, and we already had well Elaine.
Speaker 1: And also again, Camelin is one of the biggest cities in the world.
Speaker 3: Yes, so like this would be kind of like getting Camelin would be a win in a lot of ways. And they already they lost control of Camelin, but they have already in their strategy wanted to have Camlin. Like that's what the home More Gaze and what this Lord Gabriel thing was.
Speaker 1: Again, here's the thing, Igwaine is very Elaine is very aware of where the Borderlanders are and what they're doing.
Speaker 2: They don't think that they're a problem.
Speaker 1: But she told them fuck off to Pharmatic. She actually used them as a distraction. Remember she said, please march through my kingdom. Please.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that may be a mistake later.
Speaker 1: But now she's she's consolidated control. She doesn't need that. She can tell him to.
Speaker 2: Fuck off, but she hasn't yet. They still this.
Speaker 1: Isn't Andrew, It's a different country.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that might be exactly what they want. They might want to just park there and wait for the signal.
Speaker 1: So they don't want anything to do with Rand. They're lying in wait to attack Elina.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm just speculating.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying she would think she would.
Speaker 3: I think it would have been a win either way. Like like, well, Rand's not talking to.
Speaker 1: Them, No, he hasn't yet.
Speaker 3: I'm just like I can't think of another fucking like, I like, why would they want to talk to Rand?
Speaker 2: Why do they give a shit about Ram?
Speaker 1: So you've let's let's reestablish where you are right now. You've decided that I've.
Speaker 2: Ever incited anything.
Speaker 1: You are leading towards the idea that Varren's letter is there is going to be a military attack on Camlin. You and your army need to be there.
Speaker 3: That's reasonable because why else would she Because because I'm like, Varren is not a woman to leave things too chaps.
Speaker 2: No, She's not the kind of broad would leave shit up to chance.
Speaker 1: I need to explain why the sound of trees just one way? If it did my phone rang, I picked it up. We went to dinner, We got home, We talked to people for a while, they went to bed, We went to bed, and then Allie ate chips for thirty minutes. Oh right, because because I I was like, Alie, we need to record, and she said, yeah, let me finish my chips, and then she ate chips. It was actually more like fifteen minut I have no regrets. They were were they good?
Speaker 2: They were cool? Ranch Doritos, you tell me so, they're the.
Speaker 1: Best in the interest of getting this episode up. No more on your theory. Do you want to continue forward?
Speaker 3: Bearing's not the kind of broad Okay, I've probably already said this six times now because I don't remember what I've said so far. But she's not the kind of broad whould leaves it up to chance. Like I would not be surprised if the letter when she when he opens it says stay in camelin thirty days.
Speaker 1: You have said that d best, funniest. It would be funny.
Speaker 7: Actually, I hope that's what it says. I hope it says nothing but staying game up for thirty days. And he's just like I got played so hard. I hope, Oh that would be the best. It will be the best thing that's ever happened.
Speaker 1: It'd be pretty funny.
Speaker 2: That'd be so funny. Wait wait, wait wait wait, Okay.
Speaker 1: So I'm thinking that maybe the what you already said this was so.
Speaker 2: They in royalty, Yes, are shady as fuck.
Speaker 3: You said that well because we don't know Zanobia. People are shitty cousins. I know I've already said this.
Speaker 2: People are shitty cousins all the time. I don't actually, but like some people do, I'm sure that. Like half the listeners are like, yeah, I got that one cousin, you know.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing.
Speaker 3: Also, we know she's gotta die because we know Parent and Viola are going to rule at some point.
Speaker 2: Like we just know this because in Parents fucking flashback even were Prophecy whatever, he had a broken crown. Now what is the throne of Saltea?
Speaker 1: The broken crown? O?
Speaker 2: The plot? It is as thick as parents ask came out.
Speaker 1: You should probably see a doctor about that. Can you have thicks? I wouldn't know. I don't know what.
Speaker 2: Kind of squads leads to that.
Speaker 1: It's so late, it's oh really, why do you want some more gurridas? I fully encourage them. No no, no, no, not okay, okay, okay. So Matt, they get back to camp, and they're at camp and they're outside of Caitlin. They're thinking about the GOLM. They're like, we gotta get this ship figured out.
Speaker 2: We gotta go yeah, okay, and then all of a sudden, he kep.
Speaker 1: Wait, this is nice though, we get it. We get a little Brandon keeps putting these in. Tom stepped up beside him. It seems forever since we were here since we left here last? Doesn't it? Matt burn me? But it does. Matt said, whatever convinced us to go hunting those fool girls next time? They can save themselves. Tom eyed him, aren't we about to do the same thing when we go to the Tower of Genji, which they are going to do soon?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Thank god?
Speaker 1: I think this has also it's.
Speaker 2: Been on my fucking Mingo card for a billion years.
Speaker 1: This is also really funny. What has Matt been doing for the entire.
Speaker 2: Chapter thinking about going to the coat Dogan?
Speaker 1: No, what does he? What have you just talked about for thirty minutes?
Speaker 2: Letter?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's been thinking about the letter for thirty minutes. Tom seemed thoughtful a lot lately, moping around caressing that Warren letter from Wa Rain. It was only a letter.
Speaker 2: Come on, Oh my god, he's in love with her.
Speaker 1: You've done?
Speaker 2: I love you, mattrium Uh so, he scoop back up here?
Speaker 1: You slid away? Okay, nearly have not? You have? It's funny. They're also like, I wish Basil Gil were around. He he always knew what was going on. Oh now you want Basil Gil. Yeah, honestly, the rest of this chapter not a Ton happens. They make plans and they talk about Tom doesn't trust Varren by the way. He thinks there's something off about her. Well, he's right, impeccable, impeccable.
Speaker 2: But she's dead now, so so it doesn't matter, is he like, don't open that letter?
Speaker 1: Uh, they're talking about getting to the get to Genji because bail don't undescribed it. Matt doesn't really remember being there because that was when he was daggersick.
Speaker 2: Tom, that's a witchy girl intuition where.
Speaker 1: We're gonna find someone to make a gateway. Varren has vanished. I'll find a way. If you don't, we'll end up spending weeks traveling to the place I don't like. I'll find us a gateway. Matt said, Maybe Varren, I'll come back and release me from this bloody oath. Best that one stays away. Tom said, I don't trust her. There's something off about that one.
Speaker 2: That's so rating.
Speaker 1: She's I said, I, Matt said, And there's something off about them all, But for an I said, I I kind of like Varren, and I'm a good judge of character.
Speaker 2: You know what, Well, he's not technically wrong, no, because I mean She is ultimately a good person, just in a bad situation. They needed to spy on the inside. By the way, I love for me that I figured out that they needed to spy on the inside.
Speaker 1: Yes, you were so close. It was great.
Speaker 2: I just had the wrong girl.
Speaker 1: The eyes said, I have come back to camp woman.
Speaker 2: Sorry, lady broad Gal.
Speaker 1: Matt's stressed, uh, having memories and Teslin. Teslin walks up to him and is like, hey, we got to talk. And Matt is like, you're already talking and he opens his tent and do you remember this whole thing? There's blood in the well before that test. Test is talking to him and the she's like, hey, I gotta go back to the White Tower and he's like okay, and she goes I just wanted to say thank you. And he's like, huh do you remember this? M hm. You be of course rightly skeptical, but we cannot ignore the news. Even at a Sina who foolishly sided with the rebels does wish to return. We do plan to go in the morning, as it is your habit to sleep late. I wanted to come to you tonight in order to give you my thanks, your your what your.
Speaker 2: What my Thanksina did not foolish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they won my thanks Master coffin Tesla and said, dryly, this trip did not be easy upon any of us. There have been moments of tension. I do not say that I agree with each decision you may. That do not remove the fact that without you I would still be in shan chin hands. She shivered. I pretended during my I pretend, during my more confident moments that I would have resisted them. It will be important to maintain some illusions with yourself, would you not say? And they shake hands and man is like, hey, you can have some Horses's nice, and she goes, I thought you didn't have any horses, and he goes, count of my horses. Again, you can have a few. I did not come here to you tonight to manipulate you into giving me horses. Tesla said, to be sincere, I figured. Matt said, that's why I made the offer.
Speaker 4: And then he steps into the tent and he smells blood blood. And that's the end of chapter eight. And we're not going to do chapter nine tonight because it's too late. But anything about Teslain, I.
Speaker 2: Like Teslin, Yeah, all told, yeah, which makes me nervous.
Speaker 1: Sure, Why do I have to like her? Now?
Speaker 2: Well, she she's going to happen to test I.
Speaker 1: Met fairly poorly for most of this trip.
Speaker 2: Yes, but now they're friends and he's giving them horses.
Speaker 1: Well, she's leaving, she's gone back White Tower, or.
Speaker 3: We find her bloody head on a stick somewhere in the middle of the forest because the goal on.
Speaker 1: God her I suppose that is also possible.
Speaker 2: Why are we making made to I don't want to feel it's your bastards. I don't want to feel sad.
Speaker 1: It's true, I do. I love to love.
Speaker 3: I love feeling. Feelings are great. Wait, especially after like I opened up all my like all my like repressed suppressed bullshit feelings. Now it's like you're about because they only last like ninety seconds. Now, yeah, like feelings once you don't have any like stuff that you're carrying last like three minutes.
Speaker 1: Anything else about this chapter? Now?
Speaker 2: Why am I being made to like Tesla?
Speaker 3: And now you're all lulling me into false and of security and then you're gonna kill Tesla in some dark, sad way. No, it's gonna be sad because now that we like her, it's gonna be like we're going to walking through through the forest, and all of a sudden, what's that ahead on a stick?
Speaker 2: It's Teslain. It's Teslain's beautiful head on a stick. She do be dead. Thanks for that's what you're all gonna do to me, you manipulative folks. I'm onto you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening, everybody. We have social media if you want to know what we got going on, it's link below wheels of Patreon. If you want to support us that way, it's patreon dot com, slash wheel takes. You can always leave us a rating, an interview if you want. Helps a lot other than that, anything else.
Speaker 2: Ellly Teslain dead, dying, doomed, hanging from I don't know.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening everyone. Bye.
Speaker 2: You're all gonna die. I don't know what's happening.
Speaker 1: Bye,