Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H Garden Line with skimp Richard's.
Speaker 2: Crazy here a trim just watch him as well. So many good things to seepbot crazy.
Speaker 3: Bad not a.
Speaker 4: Sign gas sunmon of tweet.
Speaker 5: Well, good morning, good Sunday morning. We are glad to have you with us here on Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter. And what are we going to do today? We are going to talk about all kinds of things gardening that is, that's what we do. You got a question, you want to give us a call seven one three two one two five eight seven four. Sometimes I hear people say, well I try to call in, but you know there's other people calling, and well, look a tip for those who want to get through fast and easy. It's call early in the day. It's awfully quiet this early in the morning. And you know, I've got plenty of things I'd like to talk about today, but if you'd like to get through, it's the best time to try to do that. So I'll just leave it at that. I have been gosh, there's so many projects I have going on at the house right now. I have a couple of plant light stands that well, they're they're shelving that I'm putting plant lights on and starting seeds from, because you know, seed starting season is almost upon us. Well, actually, you could be starting seeds right now for the midwinter planting of things like broccoli and cabbage and cauliflower and all that kind of thing. But when once we get I would say about well, for me, I start just after Christmas around New Year's I go ahead and plant for tomato transplants, things like that. I start a bunch of seeds. Then if for those of you that are not going to be able to plant them out until a little bit later, getting past that last average frost ate, then what you'll end up doing is bumping them up into four inch pots and then into gallon pots. Now why would you want to do that, Well, here's why. We have a short season for tomatoes setting fruit. So the time between the last average frost date and it's getting too hot to set fruit, it's fairly short. If you go further north, you go far enough north of Minnesota, they have a long growing season that's reasonably mild. You know, some hot days, but they don't know what hot is. But here, hot is like first thing in the morning, you walk to the car and you're sweating before you get to the car. That's hot in the summer here. So what we have to do is we need to get tomato. Is that produce fast, but we need to put in a bigger, better plant when we put them in so that we have that head start. And typically when I bump those up all the way to a gallum pot and I have them indoors under lights. As we get into the spring season, I'll move them outside quite a bit and back and forth, but they already have blooms and sometimes fruit forming on them at that stage, and so that gives me a head start. And it's just what I like to do, and it's not the way everybody has to do it, but I just like to get that head start. So I've been setting up these lights. Got me some really good LED lights that work well for years. I just used the shop light four foot shop light with a cool white and a warm white bulb. Two shop lights like that hanging over your plants. Those fluorescent tubes are kind of going by the wayside these days, and it's all LED now, so you kind of do the equivalent, but it it just depends on how well do you want them to grow. How fast do you want them to grow? Row? Uh? And you can get some really cool lights, which would be I think a good gift for someone on your list, including yourself, if you want to, If you want to do some seed starting, just remember it starts Arlie. You know, those of you listening down in Galveston, for example. I mean you you're you're planning a lot earlier than people that are listening up in Huntsville, that's for sure. Anyway. So I've been getting that set up. I've got my heat mats and things out, you know, going through the boxes and finding all the stuff that's been stored away over time. I mentioned I think I talked about this a little bit yesterday. But the importance of having a good lighting being number one. That's a number one mistake people make is they they settle for something less than good lighting. Uh. And that means a very bright light. The second mistake is is watering. Certainly too dry is bad for a ceiling. It'll kill it once the seed starts to germinate. If it gets dry, it has no re zis. It dies. Once it gets roots in the ground, there's a little bit of resilience. It can it can wilt and then you water and it bounces back. But watering is important, but not too much water. A lot of people over water and they end up creating disease issues for their plants. And then finally, temperature. Each of the different kinds of plants you might try growing from seed has its own temperature preferences. Many of them are very very similar in general. If you can keep the root zone at about oh, maybe say seventy eight degrees somewhere in there, somewhere in that range, eighty degrees even a little bit better for some of the warm season things for getting them up and growing. Now, that doesn't mean the air temperature in the room has to be eighty degrees. It just means just keeping the roots a little warmer, getting the growing faster. That works pretty good, but plants are pretty pretty forgiving of some of those kinds of things. You always want to have fresh seed. Well, anyway, I'm getting all that set up and I'm ready to go on it. In fact, I have plans to do some rooting as well. The same setup that you're starting seeds in is a great setup for rooting plants, and there you do want a really good quality and quantity of light that is important on that And let me just say that light. I talked yesterday about the fact that the blue and the red wavelengths are the key wavelengths for getting success with your seedlings or anything you're growing. That does not mean that plants don't use or need some green light or some toward the infrared end or you know, or told the auto violet end on each end of the spectrum. They don't need that. Well, those are helpful, but it blue and red are the keys to doing it. But I want to talk right now a little bit about light. I tell you what. Let me let me save this till we come back after a breakwork, because I'm going to take just a moment to explain some of these things. Welcome back, Welcome back to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're here today to help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape. All you gotta do is give us call seven to one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two k t r h H. If you are going to need some pruning work, or if you think you might need some pruning work, now's the time. I mean, now asap is the time to call Martin spoon Moore at Affordable Tree Service. Now here's a phone number seven one three six nine nine two six six three. Why do I recommend Martin from Affordable Tree Services. Well, Martin has been doing this for a very long time. He has experience in the field, and he knows how to prune properly. He knows what needs to be taken out and what doesn't need to be taken out.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: You know, just because you want to pick up in a chainsaw and drive around putting cards in people's doors doesn't mean you're a pruning service or an arborist or knowledgeable or anything like or responsible for that matter. But Martin is the kind of guy who can come out do an evaluation of your trees, look at what needs to be done, what doesn't need to be done. If you got any questions you know that you're wondering about if you're going to do any kind of construction around a tree, especially, you need to have him come out and look at that. And the printing season that is prime is this winter season when plants are dormant. We can prone twelve months out of the year and we do. But of all of all the times, now's the time to get on the schedule, and he stays busy. We got a short window here. Give him a call, have him come out. And the sooner you do it, the better. Tell him you're a guarden line listener. Get you up there at the front of the line. Here's the number again, seven to one three six nine nine two six six three, Or you can go to the website a f ftree service dot com a ff tree service dot com. Now, I was talking about something when I went to break. I can't remember what the trial starting to see. Oh, lighting lighting. I want to talk about plant lighting. In addition to the colors that are in light and how they affect the plant and how important they are, Uh there are there is uh two other factors. Actually there are several other factors, but let me give you let me I think I'll do two or three here. One of the important things in plant lighting is the quality of lighting, and that that is the color pattern that's there. How what what quality of light you have? But another is the quantity, and the quantity of lighting means how much light does the plant get, and quantity can be done by a rain fall analogy. So think about this. If you were to get a gully washer rain for an hour in get an inch of rain, or let's say two inches of rain in an hour, that would be a lot, but that would be a certain amount of water on your let's say lawn. Okay, on the other hand, if it rained all day, but at a very slow pace, you could still end up with two inches of water on your lawn, same amount of water, but at a different time. Now within reason, that applies to plants when it comes to light, because light or photons falling onto the plant leaves. That's that basically is what happens when sunlight shines of the photons of light hit the plant leaves. So if you have a bright light, a good quality light, or a light that's closer to the plants, if it's not as bright as a light, you would be able to not run the light quite as long. But if it wasn't as good a quality, you may have to run it a little bit longer. Normally, I set my seedling lights to run about fourteen hours a day. You could run them sixteen hours a day, you could run them twelve hours a day. I mean, there's a range there on that. But just think of lighting. Just remember that if you have not such a great light, you need to run it longer. I have a house plant that is it's a Norfolk Island pine. They like a lot of light and it's kind of in a corner. But I've got a plant light over it. But you know, Norfolk is a big plant, or it can be, and so getting light down in there instead of just a very dim light up on top is a bit of a challenge. So I run my lights a very long time. They're on an automatic timer. They come on early in the morning and they stay on until I don't know about eight o'clock at night. Sometimes it just depends on what I'm going after. But it's achieving the quantity of light, that's what That's what it is achieving, and that is very important. How long do you run it and how do you run it? And then of course I mentioned the light quality, and getting those two things together is important if you're going to have success. So when I used to use fluorescent tubes, those put out to our eye a lot of light, but to a plant, I would have to have the fluorescent shop light tubes about an inch or two from the plants. Yeah, that's right, literally an inch or two from the plants, and that would be the quantity of light. Our eyes adjust to light very well, but the brightest, most intense indoor light you're ever going to have is just a fraction of sunlight. It's just a fraction of the amount, a quantity of light, quantity of photons hitting the leaves and stuff. So but we have plants that can take that, and many of our houseplants do. I'm going to run to the phones now and we're going to head to Magnolia and talk to Tim. Hello, Tim, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Hey Skip, Hey, I called last Sunday because I'd sent my pictures of my lawn, but then I didn't do it as an attachment to put it in the email, and you had asked me, I said, to uh, attachment, So I did, but I wasn't able to call back in last Sunday.
Speaker 8: So I was gonna see if you had a chance to.
Speaker 5: Look at those pictures. I'm looking for your email here. It would have been last Sunday. Boy, I don't have a Tim in my listener list. I'm not sure why that is, but let's do this. Uh, would you just hit resend on it. Uh and uh and and if you want to hang on and put you on a whole a little bit and I can pick you back up when I get it. How about that, well, i'm driving. Oh okay, we'll just describe. Describe to me the the photo that you sent me. It's you know, my yard.
Speaker 7: It's just turning like that tan brown, you know, all over.
Speaker 8: I don't know if it's oh.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, yes, yes, I do remember. And I did see the photos that it looked like drought types of injury to me, like that it didn't get some water. The lower area between the woody the foresty woody shrubs on the sides, The lower area down there seemed to look a little bit better than as you get up closer to the competition with shrub roots and things, and a little bit higher. So I thought drought could have been a part of it. Oftentimes, when our grasses are stressed, though, take all root rot comes in and it also causes drought symptoms, and so it may have been a combination of those two. But getting a good soaking of water in, especially during the intense heat, is very important. But the take all root rot would be a disease that you would have to treat for, and there are if you go to my schedule online at gardening with Skip dot com, there's a schedule that says it's the lawn Pest Disease and Weed Management schedule, and that one includes information on take all root Right now, if you if you're going to apply something for it, we're getting a little bit late for the take all applications. However, it is our grass is still you know, out there and happy. So I think I would do one application still this year, and then when we get into the next spring, look at my schedule and there's a second application that you're going to want to do then. And the ingredients are listed on the schedule. There's one called a zoxystrobin a zo x. That's that's how you find and they are products that contain that that I would recommend that you would do that.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, well I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm glad. I I'm glad we got that. Got that I did look at those. Maybe I inadvertently closed them down. I don't know anyway that I do remember. And that's what.
Speaker 7: House you can see the yellow house in the background. Well, no, I didn't have the house in the background.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I just had the grass.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the one there were two pictures I think that you said, so yeah, all right, all right, thank you, all right, yeah, thanks for Colin. Appreciate that you take care. Uh that that is uh, that's good, you know. Uh. In Chenny Forest they had their big Grench fest yesterday out there and in Tended Forest. I was looking at the pictures. Looked like they had a really good time out there. Uh. In Chenny Forest is as just an enjoyable place to go. It's as I think it's fun. Really when when I have been in the past and and you know, just walked around, it's I feel like I'm in another world. It's beautiful shaded area, the buildings, the plant layout, everything. It just makes you want to wander. And there is so much right now to wander through. Lots of fall color, lots of fall color. And when we say fall color here, it can carry us into winter. Many of the plants will carry us into winter. Their point setus are unbelievable. I mean, you know what color is a point SETA It's red. Well, yes, and no they've got double point settas. They just have a whole lot of extra red leaves in them. They've got kinds that have white sprinkled through them, almost look like peppermint candy. They of course they have the red and the white. They have types that are blotchy variegated on the sides and a pink pink colors and they're gorgeous. And if you need a good holiday decoration ory gift for when you're going to visit, one of these point set is would be really really good, really good to do when you're out there and enchanted for us. Just keep in mind they have a wonderful shop with lots of good gifts. Again, you need to wander through that and check it out. It's still time to be planning herbs and vegetables, and they always keep a supply of that on hand. And then of course when it comes to shrubs, well there's always plenty of shrubs and trees. By the way, they still have some Christmas trees, and Christmas trees include free delivery, so you pick out a tree, you don't have to worry about getting it home. They'll they'll bring it for you if you'd like to do that. And they have a nice supply still available, so check them out. That's at twenty seven fifty nine. Excuse me, FM twenty seven fifty nine in Richmond, Texas. If you're in Richmond heading towards sugar Land, it's off to the right down farm to Market FM twenty seven fifty nine and Chenny Forest. Here's the website. You need it because it'll show you how to get there. It'll show you what's going on there. You can be signing up for their social media and lots of good information. Enchanted Forest Richmond TX dot com. Enchanted Forest Richmond, TX dot com makes it real easy to check it out. And they got a great website too. While are out there, say hi to Danny and all the crew and make plans this spring to get out there. They're gonna have a whole bunch more of those plants that attract butterflies, both the ones for the adult butterflies and also the ones for the caterpillars that bring them to your house. If you build it, they will come. All right, We're gonna take a little break here. If you'd like to give us call seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. Welcome back to the guard Line. We are happy you are listening and looking forward to talking to you about the kind of questions that you may have. If you have not put down a mineral supplement for micronutrients to your lawn this year, you need to get that done. It is it is important to make sure that your lawn has all the nutrients that it needs, not just the big three on the fertilizer bag. They're you know, sixteen to twenty depending on the plants and the part stages of a plant growth and different nutrients that those plants really really need. And azamite is one of those trace mineral supplements that is outstanding in terms of the response we see on our plants. It's used in turf at a rate of about forty four pound bag covering about six twelve thousand square feet six to twelve thousand square feet. Put it in vegetable gardens. I have it put in my vegetable garden at about ten pounds per thousand square feet. And when you have that complete bank account of all the nutrients, not just the famous ones, but the ones that Rodney Dangerfield would say, get no respect, We don't talk about them well asmit does. It covers that and you can get it pretty much everywhere. Our feed stores, our garden centers, our ace hardware stores, you know, Southwest Fertilizer, all those kinds of places are going to carry azamite. And if you want to learn more about it, just go to azmite Texas dot com and you can find out more about the product. You hear me talk about. It's on the schedule. Mineral sub elements, very very important. We need to make sure and put that bank account that we have in the soil. We need the bank account to be totally loaded up and ready to go. I want to talk a little bit about the time of year we're in right now and doing a landscape evaluation. You know, when you go through a long, hot summer, we get toward the end of the year and you kind of look at how things are in the landscape. It is a it's a great opportunity to make some decisions and some changes if needed. So for example, this morning, you get up when the sunshine comes out, and well, I don't know if the sunshine's coming out when it's light. How about that this morning and you walk around and you look at things like you don't overhear the lawn, I just it just doesn't do well. It's too shady. I keep trying to fill it in, but it's then it doesn't look good. Make a note. I need to put a shade loving groundcover in here, and that would really be beautiful and there's a lot of good options for that. You got a rose bush somewhere that is doing the same thing. It's not blooming really well. Will fall in winter are the best time to dig and move plants. So make a note. This rosebush needs to be moved to this other location. Do you see what I'm saying? Or maybe something's in too much sun, or maybe something where you're depending on how your property is, the irrigation system just isn't really reaching over there very well, and maybe we need something more drought resistant in that area. Or you're looking around and kind of noticing as the leaves come off, you know what, everything over here is evergreen. Everything over there is deciduous, and it kind of looks lopsided when we hit the winter season. That's the kind of things I'm talking about. Even just looking at the landscape and you know what is missing? What would I like here? How about that front door? How do I call attention to the front door? Put, you know, bring the eye to that spot, changing the shape of beds. There's a lot we can do with the late season landscape evaluation right now. And I don't encourage you to get out and make some notes because some of the things you're going to want to do, like moving plants, planting new shrubs, trees and perennials, changing the shape of landscape beds. Winter times a good time to get that kind of work done in order to have success with what you're trying to do, because we want you to have a beautiful, beautiful landscape and take a look at it, get you a note. Another thing it's good to do is drive around and pay attention to other landscapes. What do you like? What catches your eye? Maybe the way that they designed a bed that came around the side of the house and tied in to something else. You know, you just a little simple things like that, or hey, that plan is great, I need one of those. What is that? We'll take a picture of it and ask Google. It'll tell you the image image searches scarily scarily accurate. Anyway, take advantage of a trip around town and make those plans in order to have a beautiful landscape like you want. That is important. Our phone number if you'd like to give a skull seven three two one two five eight seven four seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four. I wanted to mention that this season is an important time to keep your soil mult Now, we all know in the summer it's hot and weeds are coming up, and the rain or erosion or crusting things like that, the overheating of the soil with the sun baking down on it. You got to get multa on your ground. Yes, that's true. But there are winter weeds also, there's winter rains also, and then there's even times when it gets a little cold. And if you have a borderline tender cold tender plant, that's a perennial for example, something like what depends on what part of the area you're listening in. But those of you living up a little further north, the Pride of Barbados, that sometimes called red bird of Paradise. That plant is cold hearty in our area. But you get fur enough nor far enough north and we get a gold winter and you can get significant damage to it. Multch helps protect the base of that plant, keep it moderated and get it through those kinds of things. Multch moltch. Maultch now black velvet mulch is an excellent opportunity. It's the one Landscaper's Pride has that is not dyed. It's naturally dark and its color and you need to keep a covering a mulch on the soil. If you don't cover the soil, nature will, but nature's going to cover it with green things called weeds, so we can cover it with beautiful things like black velvet mult or. Speaking of landscapers Pride, they also have a cedar multch. Cedar multch is very attractive, you know, as you put it out in that fresh color, in the fresh sand and everything. That's a nice one, nice aroma to Greek guests as they come for the holiday visits. And then if you're looking at your I was talking someone yesterday who is going to redo their lawn and the backyard. They've got some dips and low spots in it and it's half weeds and half grass and it's just a mess and they're going to be redoing it in the spring. Well Landscaper's Pride has something called topsoiled. It's a sandy loam and composted top dressing, and it'll help you repair areas in your lawn. Of course, you can use it just if you're going to rejuvenate a landscape bed and you want to you want to get something that's a little more solid than just compost out there, and it's excellent for that. All that stuff is from Landscapers Pride. They got like two dozen plus different things and they're all over town. Easy to find. Just I guess I'll just just tell you go to Landscaperspride dot com. Landscaperspride dot com. You're going to find more information there. You're also going to find where to get it, and it's really easy to find their products all around the area. That mulching is a good tip for this time of year. It's always a good time to maintain. Think about nature. Does nature uh not have mulch on the soil at times and then have multch on the soil to No, it's all year round. Nature is keeping a coating of organic materials on top of the surface. We can learn from that. All right, I'm gonna take a little break here. I will be right back with your calls at seven, one, three, two one two kt RH. All right, folks, welcome back to Garden Line. Glad to have you with us this morning. We are talking about all kinds of things gardening. I've got a few topics i'm gonna be going through today. And during our eight o'clock hour, we have got some special guests calling in with ideas for Christmas gifts, and I think you'll find that very interesting, So stick with us. We'll be back. The RCW Nursery, by the way, has gotten in. I want to mention this. They've gotten in a shipment of camellias. They got the the Camellia susanqua and the Camellia japonicas, and some of the sussanquas they just got in are gorgeous, just beautiful. And I don't know how many of you are not familiar with camilla's, but it used to be. I just saw a lot more. It seemed like planted in the past, and they've always been popular, but I think they're making a comeback. And camellias have these gorgeous blooms at a time of year when other things aren't blooming. For example, December, the sussanka was blooming and the Japonicas one type in December, one type and more in January. Here in our area, they look good. And RCW, by the way, also has ligularia ligularia. The only way I can describe it is a terrestrial lily pad. You know how lily pads grow in water, Well, imagine something looks like a lily pad growing in your shady, shady areas of the garden. They're very tolerant of that. By the way, they have still got twenty percent off now off their shrubs, Azelias and camellias, all kinds of shrubs on sale right now. If you're looking to purchase a shrub to fill in, you're not going to find a better time to do that. R c W Nursery this is our December, so they're thirty percent off metal artwork and arbors and fifteen percent off all their trees. This is the best time to plant a tree or shrub. Get out there and do it. They're at the corner of Highway two forty nine, which we call Tombo Parkway and belt Wait eight. R CW Nurser you gotta check those out. Excuse me, I was talking about some different ideas and things that you know, we can do to have success in our gardens and in our landscapes. And I just wanted to, I guess make a what an appeal for a plant is that it can I do like a personal appeal, like, please consider this plant. This is an awesome one. You need to plant it. Okay, are you wondering what on earth is he going to talk about right now? It's per lemons. Uh. Per Simmons are a plant that offers ornamental beauty and culinary flavor. And I think they may be the Rodney danger Fields of the fruit world. You know, when you talk about fruit, you know, you think of apples and pears and plums and peaches and all that kind of stuff in nurseries. And but percimons are great. Let me tell you some reasons I like per simmons. They are number one, they're native fruit. The native per simon is an astringent, little small golf ball sized thing called Diasporus virginiana in Virginia.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: And the kind of per simons we typically purchase to plant and eat or more of an Asian type of permon.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 5: Persimmons can be divided into two two groups, one or the astringent types, and they've got to be so ripe that it's like a bag of jelly before you eat them. If you eat them too soon, uh, then they're gonna pucker your mouth. And some people will put in the freezer and then thalm put them in the freezer and thalmb that's all fine. I love them, and they're a messy thing to eat. I like the slogan per semons the fruit you eat in the bathtub, because what you do is you sit down about that. You get a good a stringe of per semon that is just essentially a sack of jelly, and you go after it, and you're gonna have percimon drip dripping off your elbows when you're done. Then you can just take a bath. There you go. The other kite is non astringent, and these can be eaten after turning fully orange. You don't wait on them to get you don't have to wait on them to try to get soft. And there are a lot of great varieties out there. You just need to check them out. By the way, we have a Texas per semon Diasporus Texana, I believe is the number on that one or the proper name on that one, but it's a little black fruit. It's edible, but it's I don't know. It mostly seed, the big seeds inside and maybe dime size to nickel size fruit. But I just have to mention that one too. Per Simmons ripen in mid to late fall, and their bright orange fruit just hang on the tree like a Halloween And we have Christmas trees. This is a Halloween tree. It looks really beautiful and goes all the way through Thanksgiving too. By the way, I think they're attractive. The foliage has nice fall color. Am I convincing you of this? If you never had per smon bread, you need to try per semon bread. It is awesome. So there I've made my appeal. You need to try per Simmons. Consider planning one in your landscape. Again, so many good attributes of this fruit that is way way underplanted. Just make sure and give them a well drained area. They don't want to be in a swamp and a place with plenty of sun. They do okay in a little shade, but mostly they need good sunlight in order to do well. There you go. My appeal for per Semmons. Ace hardware stores are They're just a great place to find any kind of items that you're needing for the holiday season. For example, if you're looking for gifts, maybe it's some power tools for the do it yourself for in your list. Maybe it's some houseware type items for decorating and cooking and other things like that. Maybe it is a toy for a child they have. Do you know Ace has some really cool toys, real retro toys too. I like those and right now, oh my gosh, holiday lights and decorations inside the house, outside the house. They've got you covered on both of it. For example, the one thing that I think is just really cool until I ran across Ace, I didn't even know this existed. But it's called lights by the foot. So you know how you buy Christmas lights and their X feet long, Well, what if you needed lights to go twenty seven and a half feet long? I mean, you know what I'm saying That you can pick the exact length of light you're looking for there and provide that. You just have to go by and see how they do that. But it's really cool. It's a great way to do because then you have lights that fit your home or fit your Christmas tree or whatever. You're putting lights on holiday decorations to just beautiful, you need to go into ACE and check it out. It is the place, as they say. And of course while you're in there, you're going to find all the landscape supplies. Now, there is an ACE Hardware store in Orange called Child's Building Supply. For those of you out there in Orange, if you're Highway six, you know, near the Bear Creek area, Hamilton Hardware would be an ACE Hardware there. Aspas ACE up in the Woodlands is a wonderful location. And then the K and M ACE there's two locations, one in Kingwood and one a Tascas Sita. That's the K and M hardware that bunches of them. Just go to ACE Hardware dot com, find the store locator, find the store near you. I think that is the best way to go about. It works for me. Let's see here, where are we on time? Yeah, I'm about to run out of time here. I believe I did want to. I do want to continue on with a couple of things that are kind of related to gardening tips and ideas and things like that. We will when I come back. I'm going to talk about some pruning mistakes some real common pruning mistakes that you definitely want to avoid. That is I see a lot of malpractice. I'll say, when it comes to pruning, we need to make sure that we're taking care of our plants and pruning them in a way that helps them sets them up, if you will, for success. Plants for All Seasons is located on Highway to forty nine, just north of Luetta, So if you're going to Tombol out to forty nine you exit Luetta crossover Luetta. It's on the right hand side. Plans for All Seasons has long been a great place. I mean, they've got every plant that you want that grows here. But most of all is importance of quality products and the advice just go to Plants for All Seasons. Check them out again. They've been here since the nineteen seventies, this family operated place. Those of you who go there, you know you know what I'm talking about, very very good place. And they also have some gorgeous gifts inside their gift shop. Well, I hear some music here in the background. That means I need to be quiet, and we're going to take a break for the top of the hour news. We'll be back with your calls if you'd like to get on the board now seven to one three two one two k t r.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skimmed Ricard's.
Speaker 4: Crazy. Just watch him as many season not a sign s starting.
Speaker 5: So Cleo, all right, welcome to garden Line. Welcome back. We're going to start this next hour up with a bang.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 5: I've got a lot of tips and ideas and comments I like to make. And then of course we got your calls if you'd like a seven one three two one two k t r H seven one three two one two k t r H. I tell you Buchanan's Native plants. They had a quietish India yesterday in their greenhouse. Yeah. It's a huge covered greenhouse full of all kinds of house plays, loaded with pointsettas. It's just really beautiful out there. You know. If it comes to Christmas ideas, they have got it. They've got you covered. Their gift shop is stunning, stunningly outstanding. They you can get plants for example. Of course you can get things to decorate your house, you know, for the home. There's things for children in there. If you're a nature lover, they have things for you as well, perhaps a hummingbird feeder, little place for the tiny bees together, and those what do you call them, wood boring bees. They have low homes for them, some real cool spiceets for gifts, gifts cards. Of course, it just goes on and on. I mean there's things for her, things for him. We're talking about jewelry and ideas. You can't just just loaded for the holidays. And it is a wonderful place to visit. And of course there's the beautiful landscape color like cyclomen Oh those are so beautiful. We ought to plant more cyclements in our landscapes in the cool season. They're really good. One even orchids that would be another great gift idea. Mabbie Cannon's is located on eleven Street in the Heights. You know it, but you need to go to their website because it is the most outstanding educational thing I have seen. You go to their website and the resources that they have, the articles and calendar and garden guides and all kinds of videos and other things, very very helpful. Get on the newsletter too. While you there, I'm going to head out to the phones and we're going to talk to in US Hello, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 6: Hey, good morning, mister Richter. How are you doing.
Speaker 5: I'm doing good. I'm doing good. What's up today?
Speaker 9: Well, I've got several plants that I don't know how to win arize, and I don't want to lose them. It's a purple honeysuckle bleeding hall and it's beedanza.
Speaker 5: Okay, you're not going to lose esperanza. But it may die back in a bad winter. It can die back all the way to the ground. Were you located.
Speaker 6: I'm located about sixty miles west of Houston, sixty miles west Marshall Markham, Texas.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, all right, all right, Well so the esperanza may die back, but you know what I do, and I live in an area where it dies back some. The cutting it back to the ground at the end of winter is a good thing. And you can just do that. When I stay to the ground, I mean, you know what, four or six inches tall something like that, and it sprouts back out from the base and looks really good. Sometimes if it gets halfway damaged, it looks kind of ugly. Some of the others the vine you're talking about, believing heart and other things I would just make sure and multch the base very very well, and that if there is any die back on any of your plants, the base is protected and you get fresh new growth and they they will come back out of that base with that kind of protection. It's hard to protect a vine because it's you know, typically on a trellis, and trying to build some structure to protect it as difficult.
Speaker 6: Ok.
Speaker 9: Okay, Yes, I've tried covering them up and it helps somebody. It's I wouldn't quite sure exactly how to do it. And also I want well, you know, like you said to the cutback, I I've never done it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, forty six inches, so it's okay.
Speaker 5: Well on the on the esperanza, I'm trying to remember all the different plants that you named several plants. So here's the thing on cover bleeding heart honeysuckles. Yeah, it should be fine. Just i'd multivate. If you can cover a plant and exclude air you know you mentioned like how do you cover?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: The idea is to create dead air space so the wind blows and it doesn't blow around that plant because you've created this this think of it as an igloo or something over the plant, a tint over the plant that's plastic so the wind doesn't go through it and it holds that air inside there. If whatever plant you're gonna be covering is super tender, you can put a light bulb, one of those clamp aluminum lights with the bright one hundred and fifty watt light bulb in it at the bottom, shine it down and that provides just a little bit of heat, because all we need to do is keep them reasonably above the damage point, you know, below above freezing for example.
Speaker 9: Okay, okay, so just I mean, okay, if I don't cover or just mulching the base.
Speaker 5: With that should do it. That should do it.
Speaker 6: Another question that I had master garden programs, is there what's the nearest one, let's say, sugar Land that you know of or is it on your podcast website somewhere folk?
Speaker 5: No, I don't. That would be a good thing for me to put on the website. You know, I pride myself in knowing all these obscure towns around the uh state of Texas, and I'm having to look up mark where Marketing. Sorry, you're down by Bay.
Speaker 6: City, right, Yes, sir, it's more cows and chick.
Speaker 5: Okay, oh boy. You know what, if I were you, I would call your county Extension office and and ask them that I think that's that's probably the best way to go about it. Your county extension agent should know. I don't know if they have a program, you know, Whart Nuro, Tempo or any of the areas around you. Uh, you're pretty close to Brazoria County, and Brazoria County has a gardener program that would be the east of you. I don't know what their policies are in terms of where you how close you have to live, or do you have to be in the same county or anything like that.
Speaker 6: Okay, thank you for the infull sir.
Speaker 5: All right, good luck, take care, thank you bye, all right, bye bye. Master Gardening is a great program. It is a volunteer training program done here in Texas by the Agrolife Extension Office in your county. Now, not every county has a Master Gardener program because it is a volunteer training. Not everybody needs a whole bunch of volunteers, but especially in urban areas and higher populated areas, but also in some rural areas. Sometimes three counties go together to have one of those programs. But did they train you with an extensive course in gardening and an exchange you get back a time of volunteer time to help Extension reach more people. It's one of the reasons why Extension is one of the best deals when it comes to your tax dollars and things like that, is because they provide so much more return and through the volunteers. You know, some counties of volunteers put in ten thousand hours a year of volunteer time. So one agent ten thousand hours of volunteer time. That's a good deal. It's a good program full of good people too. All right, well, it's time for me to go ahead and take a break here. We will be right back, and when we come back, I'm going to talk to you about making house plants feel at home. All right, Welcome back to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richtor, and we're here to help you have a more bountiful garden, a more beautiful landscape, and more fun in the process. That is an important thing. If gardening is not fun, we got to fix that because gardening should be fun, that's for sure. The folks at Medina have created a it's been around for a while. Now a product called humate humic acid. Humate humic acid so humate liquid humus is like it's like concentrated compost in a bottle. Everybody knows what compost is like. You know, it's this crumbly coffee grounds, maybe bigger size in that, but it's all decomposed organic matter. If you let composts keep breaking down, its final stage is humus, and humus contains humic acid and fulbic acid. It's got a lot of different things in it, but it helps build the soil. It helps improve with moisture retention in some types of soils. It helps enhance the release of some of the nutrients that are there. Certainly it has micro and macro nutrients in it. It improves the soil's physical properties. So in a clay soil, humus is one of the keys to helping loosen up that clay. Now, humate humic acid for medina is available in a quart jar, a gallon jar, even buy bigger if you want, But whenever your playing, you can put a couple of tablespoons of this liquid product in a gallon of water and just soak the root ball in it. Soak the root ball in it and then plant the plant. That's one way to do it. Another way people do it is that they plant the plant and then soak the area by using watering can or something to water it in. Well, you can soak seeds in. You make acid in a mixture of one tablespoon per gallon of water and let that seed swell up and plant them and you'll get a very good head our pre Soaking seeds is a good way to get a good head start and all. This is just another one of the many quality products from Medina that we fortunately have a lot of opportunities to purchase here because it's available everywhere. Nice quality product from the folks at Medina. I was going to talk a little bit about making house plants feel at home, making them feel at home, you know, the home environment. Well, let me put it this way. No plant is native to the indoors. Right, where are they native to? Well, they're native to places like a jungle where it is they're understories and a tropical rainforest. It's moist, it's humid, the light is a little is quite a bit lower there. It's light, but it's lower light. And we bring those in our house because they do better in our low light indoor environment now because they like it indoors, but just because they feel it more at home there. There's a few keys to remember. Number one, the indoor environment has very low light intensities, and houseplants differ in their needs for light. So some plants can do better and significantly lower light. Some plants are going to need more light, so you have to put them in areas in your home where they're going to get the amount of light that at least allow them to hold on and enough energy, enough food they make with light to keep them well fed enough to keep going. And as you go down and lower lights, you go less and less growth, less and less health less and less vigor So that's important now indoors. Also, our air has low humidity. Somehouse plants like to be in areas with increased humidity, and it's very difficult. People talk about putting trays of gravel and water among plants. From what I understand, that just really doesn't do a whole lot, and certainly missing them doesn't do a lot. Now, you can put a humidifier or yeah humidifier in a room where you're going to have a lot of plants, and that will increase the humidity levels if you want to go to that trouble to do that. They don't like temperature fluctuations that are wide. So let's say you know you've got them and there's event blowing on them and it's either air conditioning or heat blowing on them, and the temperature fluctuations. They generally don't like that very much. That's kind of problematic. Second thing is sudden changes in light. I've got a Vicus that was living outdoors that we are bringing indoors. It's time to get it done. I should have already done it. Well, when you do it sudden fluctuation, it can cause problems. If you go from low light the plant light. The plant leaves grow in a way where they adapt to the low light as best they can, and then suddenly you put them in full sun, you're gonna get scorching. On the other hand, taking a plant from high light to low light can well. Number one, it will tend to decline if it needs more light. But on some things like Ficus, the standard little ficus trees that everybody used to grow everywhere. We still see them a lot. They'll just drop their leaves that light change, they drop another grow new leaves, but you've got to gradually acclimate them. Third thing overwatering. Overwatering kills more houseplants than underwatering. Plants want moist soil, and you want to water them and then don't water again until the growing mix has begun to dry out. And one of the best ways I find to do it is if you know your plants. You know, you pick up a container, most of the weight is the if if the container is like plastic, most of the weight is water that you're picking up in the soil. So when you water them they're heavier. You can tell the difference when they're lighter, when they're dryer, they're much lighter. Now if it's in a big old, heavy clay pot, well that's a little different. But just picking them aug and by and picking them up, you can tell, okay, this plant's getting dry. Another way, and this is a little cool trick, sharpen a pencil, because you want the wood edge of it, the wood tip of it to be a sharpened raw wood, not wood that your fingers have gotten oil all over. Sharpen a pencil, stick it down in the soil to a depth of about two inches maybe three, dependent on the size of the pot, and then pull it out and look. Either you'll see the water stain on soaking into that fresh wood, or you'll see bits of soil sticking to it, kind of like when you put a toothpick into a pound cake to pull it out and see if the pake cake's ready or not. That's a real quick way to check. If you don't know, Some people just stick their finger in there and feel it. Now, I just want to make a comment about the winter season. House plants just don't grow as vigorously in winter. Our day links are shorter. Typically rooms tend to be a little bit cooler, but that lower light intensity is slower growth. So they're going to need less water than they would during the summer months and less fertilizer because they're not growing as much. So keep them supplied with nutrients, but don't overdo it in the winter time, especially salt based fertilizer. Don't overdo that on your houseplants. Just a few tips on helping them to feel at home. I was checking out Neilson Water Gardens this past week, looking, Okay, what's going on out there?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 5: Because there's always something going on in Nelson Water Garden. They're the garden center by the way, that's out there in Katie, Texas. You go out to Katie turned north on Katie Fort Ben Road and you get to Nelson Water Gardens. I mean, it's so easy, easy to do. Nelson Water Gardens made famous by their watergardens many years ago, Nationally famous by their watergardens many years ago. I would recommend that you go check out their plants. Though watergardens are wonderful, but go check out their plants. They have got an awesome selection. They First of all, they got Christmas trees in that look really really good, points set us that just look awesome. But all the fall color plants, the winter color plants that you're talking about, Nelson Watergarden has you covered. They have an excellent selection. I purchased some herbs there just a while back. Just really enjoy shopping the place and also getting to visit with some really fine folks, the Nelson family again, Katie Fort Ben Road, Katie, Texas. Nelson Watergardens and Nursery. You can go to their website if you would like to do that. Just go to Nelson Watergardens dot com. Nelsonwatergardens dot com. By the way, they do landscape design and build and they can put in fountains and the nice disappearing fountains or maybe a waterfall and a pond or whatever you like. They can do that for you and they can advise you on it if you want to do it as a do it yourself project as well. Well, you're listening to guard Line. I'm your host, skip Ricktor and we're here to talk about all kinds of things gardening. So what I would recommend is you give us a call seven one three two one two kt RH. What do you want to talk about. We'll be glad to visit about any kinds of those topics that you might find interesting. Let's see what are some Oh, I wanted to talk a little bit about screening with plants. You know, sometimes you don't want to see what's on the other side of a fence, or you don't want to see a view of some construction site that now you're having to look at from your landscape. Typically it's blocking views next door and things. Neighbor that finds the need to sunbathe in his speedos or whatever whatever insightly scenes you might see well, they say good fences make good neighbors. But certainly time when a little screening, even above a fence, it's helpful. Now, how high should a screen be? I get that question a lot. I need something real tall. Well, think about this. Where are you going to be when you're looking in the direction you want screened? Are you going to be sitting in a patio outside? Are you gonna be looking at your kitchen window? Well, from wherever you are, there's a sight line. So if you have a six foot fence and you are almost six foot tall looking at it, there's not much of a screen there. But if you're sitting down looking at a six foot spence, there's a significant screen there. Right. The closer you get to the screen, the higher the screen appears to be in terms of blocking of view. So even a six foot fence, if you're sitting right beside it blocks a two foot house next door because you see what I'm saying, the site line. So remember that. Also, remember winter, you need evergreens when you're going to do screening. Otherwise in the winter you lose your screen and you don't need to just use one species. You could put a row of shrubs down low and behind them a row of shrubs that are higher. If you need something fast, you can put a cattle panel on posts that's above the ground. And let's say now the top of the cattle panel instead of being four feet high, is ten feet high, if you want to go that route and put a vine that's fast growing on that. So there's a lot of ways to go about screening. Give me a call on guardline. We can talk about more how to take care of these things. But it is a good idea to think about screening and where the screen needs to be, how high it needs to be in order to achieve what you are wanting to achieve on it. That is important when it comes to supplies for anything you need for your landscape, your gardens. Southwest Fertilizer has got you covered, you know, Bob uh He just makes sure that he keeps a stock of everything, including things that are new, keeps that stock on hand, so when you go in there, you know you're gonna find what you're looking for. I don't think I've ever said the name of a product or anything on garden Line that Bob wasn't already stocking there at Southwest Fertilizer. They're on the corner of bus and Net and Runwick. While you're in there, grab some tools is Christmas gifts or for yourself, by the way, it's okay to buy yourself Christmas gifts, by the way. All right, well you get the idea Southwest Fertilizer corner of Businet and Runwick. Uh, if you want to call them seven one three two one two one seven four four seven one three two one two one seven four four. We're going to go to break and when we come back, Darren and Kay will be our first two up. All right, folks, we're back here we go another segment garden Line. If you'd like to give us a call seven to one three two one to fifty eight seventy four. We're gonna go to let's see who has been online. We're gonna go to Willis and talk to Darren. Now, Darren, welcome to garden Line. Hey, good morning, Skip got two for you here.
Speaker 10: I've recently purchase this place out here, and it's about two acres probably eight and a half of grass Saint Augustine. But I noticed after we got some cool weather that the there's.
Speaker 5: A lot of crab grass out here.
Speaker 10: So my question is when I put a pre emerging out for the springtime to try to keep the crab grass a little bit under control. I would really like to have some of those spots filled in with with some bermuda grass.
Speaker 5: So I was wondering about putting that set out. Is that seed gonna be a protected seed where I could set it? Or will it not come up if I put the pre emergent out. It will not come up if you put the pre emerging out. So the is the grass you're seeing now you're calling crab grass? Is that green? Is it bright green? Right now?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 10: After we got this little cool front out here, the crab grass that's gone. Okay, pretty yeah, it's gone. So now you know, okay, patches more? Yeah, Okay. I just want to make sure we were talking about crag grass because we've got we've got a lot of cool seasoned grasses that are up and starting to grow.
Speaker 5: Now. Uh yeah, the crab grass with a pre emergent in the spring on my schedule. Uh, let's see you are located up in Willis. If you get my lawn pest, disease and weed management schedule, it's got the timing on everything. It's got synthetic and organic options and stuff for pre emergence, So you're gonna be putting it out up in your area. Probably early to mid February would be about the best time to get that down, if you can get it down at that time. Now, So as far as the bermuda grass is concerned, if you're going to seed bermuda, first of all, that's a challenge. I realize you're covering a large area, so you're not going to sod bermuda because it costs and just the amount of work and stuff. But seeding bermuda is it. You gotta have moisture on it. It's got to sprout, and it's got to continue to have a little bit of moisture until it gets established. So trying to get that done is a challenge. And what's happened to me before is you get a gully washer rain after your seed and it washes all the seed down into the little puddles and now you have clumps of bermuda coming up everywhere. So that's going to be your challenge on it. But another way is by sprigging it. You know, you can put bermuda little runners of it just they touch dirt and they root. So there's you can put out sprigs that you basically lightly plow in, you know, just scratch into the surface and they root. And a lot of professional fields are done with sprigging. Okay, I lost you there for a minute. Okay, uh yeah, So those are some options for you. Finding sprigs is a little bit of a challenge depending on the kind of bermuda. If you're going with more of a pasture type, maybe your county extension agent there in Montgomery County, could I assume you're in Montgomery, if you're in Willis, Yes, in the Conroe office, he should be able to get you off on the right start in terms of finding what you're looking for.
Speaker 10: Okay, so we you answered my question about the pre emergent then, so one more question is I've got five door set apple trees, and one of the trees mature enough, it's got small apples on it, and I was told by a neighbor that they did really well last year, but I haven't sprayed anything on them or and now a couple of them have some spots look like a fungus or something. So is there any kind of something that I should be spraying on those right now, just as a preventative, whether it be insecticide or fungus side.
Speaker 5: No, not right now. There's nothing for apple that you would apply right now. Again, pointing you at your county Extension office. There is a home fruit Disease insect disease management schedule guide that they can give you, and that will essentially tell you what to spray and when for what. So you're going to on apples, you're going to deal with some leaf spots that are very significant, and you're going to deal with some fruit rots that are very significant, and those are the ones that you're going to need to be probably spraying for. Okay, okay, well, thank you so much that. Yeah, that'll be next year, next season when they start. Okay, yeah, all right, yep, thank you, all right, you take care, good luck with that. It sounds like a good project. We're gonna go to Paralan now and talk to Kay. Hey, welcome to Gardanne.
Speaker 12: Hey morning, good morning, Skip, Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 13: I have a question.
Speaker 12: I dug up all of my amarillis yesterday and I have four or five kitchen bags full of bulbs I'm having my yard man is going to put in fresh malts everywhere in my yard tomorrow morning, and I wonder, can I just keep them in the garage for the winter and plant them in the spring or is that not a good plan? I have a friend used to dig hers up every year and put him in the garage for the winter and then planted them in the spring. So I don't know what is your idea on this.
Speaker 5: Let me ask you a little bit about this amarillis. Can you describe to me the color of the blooms.
Speaker 12: Yeah, they're variegated, pink and white. I have a few red ones, a couple of red ones.
Speaker 5: Okay, gotcha, gotcha. There are some amarillas that are extreme eemly good and naturalizing. There's one called Johnson's amarillus, and you see it in old homesteads for you know, for longer, from a long time ago here in Texas, that when you just leave and you don't dig it other than dividing it occasionally. The other kinds also do a decent job of coming back year after year. So if you want to dig them, that's fine. Put them in the garage, let them dry out, make sure they get good air circulation. Don't put them in a plastic bag or something.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 5: They need good air circulation, and then you can bring them out and you can plant them in the springtime if you'd like to do that. But I do. I need to be them in the ground.
Speaker 12: I have, and I used to dig them up every year and separate them because they do need to be separated. And I've lost some of them, have been, you know, victims of the freeze, and I've lost a number of them in the last year.
Speaker 6: But I wanted to you know, they're.
Speaker 12: Some of them have like eight or ten pups on them and they need to be separated.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 3: It's just all right, fast time.
Speaker 5: So okay, like you're well on your way to getting that done.
Speaker 12: But it's okay to just keep them, you know, dry during the winter and plan it in the keep.
Speaker 5: Them cool, cool and dry, cool and dry. Okay.
Speaker 3: Very good.
Speaker 12: Merry Christmas and happy holiday season to you well.
Speaker 5: And Merry Christmas to you as well. Which reminds me we need to play some Christmas music here on guard Line.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna take a break here for for the news. I'll be right back. Welcome back to Guardenline. We're glad you're with us. If you would like to give me a call, ask a question seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three, two one two five eight seven four. I was talking earlier about house plants and making them feel at home. Make houseplants, you know, feel at home. How do we do that?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 5: I'd like to talk a little bit now about homescaping with house plants. How about that homescaping. Now we know what landscaping is, but we also homescape the interior of our home with plants. You know that. Well, there are many species we can choose from, especially in the brighter areas of our home. They do really really well. So some plants do good alan you know, like a large fiddly fig or Norfolk columpine or corn plant in the corner of a room. You know, it just sort of commands its own space. Maybe you've got a coffee table and you put a little attractive papermia on there. And by the way, I often will put plants by the windows during the week, and then if we have company or something over it, you can bring them out and put them in other locations, use them to decorate. And I think that allows you to have plants in places where they wouldn't normally grow row row well by themselves. Secondly, plants work well in groupings. You can group plants. You should consider different things. Number one, the light requirements. You want to group plants that had the same general light requirements and so that they all do well. Consider color of plants, the textures of plants, the plant forms, the plant sizes. Many of our houseplants now have really attractive foliage and that's one of my favorite part of a house plant collection that I have. And I like Chinese evergreen because Chinese evergreen comes in many different versions and shades of color, from variegated green to some beautiful corals and reds and other things in it. Kalathia the rose painted Kalathia. There are Darsina marginata, the tricolor one has some beautiful color in it as well. And by the way, there's Dressina is a nice straped a linear leaf, almost a grass like leaf to the plant, compared to a big fat leaf like a prayer plant. Or Moran for example, has big, large leaves, and I like combining them. Also in table arrangements, now you can plant plants together in a container. I find that to be a little more challenging, and I have a better way that I do it. I get a large container. It does not have to In fact, it shouldn't drain well. It does better if it doesn't drain at all. And then you want to take the plants in the plastic containers you bought them in and set them in that other container. Maybe it's a large I don't know. You can go rustic and get one of those little galvanized metal oval buckets and put them in there. You may need to put some little rocks or some scrunched up paper or something down in the bottom, just to kind of I want this one leaning out that way or leaning out this way. And then when you're done, you fill in with moss, and when you get through that thing looks like a beautiful planting. And you can create all kinds of combinations that way, something tall like or just seen in the middle, and then things spilling over the side, like a little ivy that's starting to grow. Now, so how do you take care of them? You just take the whole thing over to the sink, pull the moss back, pull a plant out, water it, let it drain, and put it back in. And if one plant isn't looking good, Pull it out, get another plant, same species you just bought it, or a new different kind of species, put it in that same place, and that kind of combination gives you really really fast things. So, for example, for the holiday season, a cycloman is a great choice. Beautiful, red, pink and white cyclomans. Put some dusty miller in there with them. Do you get the idea? We often see some little ornamental plants like a pepper with peppers on it, or other kinds of fruiting like plants like that that you can use combine plants, combining plants to housescape or homescape with plants using houseplants inside. We're going to go now to Brunham and talk to Mark. Hey, Mark, welcome to garden Line, Thank you, good morning. Two quick questions.
Speaker 15: I've got quite a bit of acreage and hundreds of native pecans, everything from sixty feet tall to four or five inches in caliber trunks. Looking for an economic way and maybe a selective process for fertilizing a nut. Production is not good on these trees. Been here for about three years and a little small fruit and just not again.
Speaker 5: What could I do to enhance that nut? Production. Okay, Well, keeping the grassmow down low is important. You want to minimize the competition. If they are struggling with a lack of water, then finding a way to water them is going to help, but is usually not practical. In a native planting like that, you kind of have to depend on nature. If you were choosing a plant a pecand to plant, you would choose varieties with smaller pecan nuts because it's easier to fill a smaller pecan. There's one variety called Mayheon that's long and big as your thumb and it almost never gets filled all the way because you lack water a little bit and it doesn't fill the kernel. But again, dealing with natives, those are typically smaller and they do feel a little bit better as a result, you're going to want to fertilize. I'll tell you what. In order to help you the best mark, I want you to go to the Aggie Horticulture website click on fruit and nut resources and there is a publication called Pecans Native Okay Native Pecans And I don't know that things got like seven pages and it goes all the way through. You know, what do you do? How do you take care of them. You know, when you're culling out trees, which ones to keep, which ones to get rid of, and cultivating them. The different you know, things from dealing with diseases to you know, fertilizing and harvesting. But you're going to want to put a higher nitrogen fertilizer out there. In fact, something that would be a ratio you would see for lawn care during the summertime would be a good A good type of fertilizer to put the pecans lots of nitrogen, not a lot of phosphorus, a medium amount of potassium. That that's kind of what would be a general guess, not knowing what your soil already has got it well, no pun intended.
Speaker 15: I'm a nut for trees, so I don't clear anything when it comes to a tree.
Speaker 5: I don't like to cut them out, and so okay, my other question.
Speaker 15: My other question is I bought a little tree called the it's I guess the nursery name. They were referring to it as a Chinese lantern, and I'm concerned about cold hardiness. And I mean, it's a little thing, grows fantastic, but I'm just curious about cold heartiness.
Speaker 5: You know anything about those things. Yeah, Chinese lanterns have little like a papery husk that hangs down around them, and my I'd have to check on this to be real sure, but I'm going to think it's not a very cold hardy plant. Now. Sometimes the oh god, it is the it's a it's a hibiscus hibiscus relative. Gun it. The name is escaping me right now. I'll think of it in just a second here. But normally Chinese lanner is going to be something called either if i salus, which is like a tomato relative. Oh uh, all but a buttlan is what I was looking for. A butlan. Those hang down and they're also called Chinese lanner. The leaves on al buttlan look kind of like a hibiscus leaf, So uh, not real cold hardy, but you're gonna need to protect it to be sure, especially if you're going to get a good cold hard freeze. Got it? Okay, thank you? They are beautiful.
Speaker 8: Yeah, all right, appreciate.
Speaker 5: Good luck with that. That's a fun, fun plan. I hadn't thought about our beauty lines in a long time. That is a that is a great all right, folks. Obviously I'm going to the news right now, we'll be back seven one three two one two k t r H. If you'd like to give us a call and be ready on the board when we come back.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skip rich.
Speaker 4: Trim. Just watch him as.
Speaker 5: Hey, welcome back, Welcome back to garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we're back. We're here to help you have a more bountiful garden, a more beautiful landscape, and more fun in the process. Don't forget that third part that is very importan. If gardening and fun for you, give me a call. Let's fix that because it should be fun and it is fun. I'm going to be having some guest callers in this hour talking about some really cool ideas for Christmas gifts, and so we're going to put the phones on hold. If you just hang with us, if you've got a question, come back after nine o'clock or nine o'clock hour and we will be back on the phones talking to you. Then, if you've got a beautiful color bed out front and you want to keep it beautiful, Nelson plant Food color Start is the way to go. Now. This plant food has been around for almost forty years. Now it's their most popular blend that they have. And when I say that, I really mean that. I mean they professional landscapers use this. People in other states have tried it and use it. I mean they literally are shipping it out to a lot of different states as well. Because it works. It has fast acting effects, it's got some organic nutrients, and it also to slowly release things into the well. I'd say put it on about every three to four months. And remember that in order for your plants to keep blooming, they need to have nutrition and have leaf growth. So like a pansy, for example, in this cool season, you want to invigorate it so that it grows and produces new leafs, solar panels to make carbohydrates to make more flowers. That's why you planted the thing. Color Star does that by Nelson. Color Star is available widely throughout the Greater Houston area. Some places even carry the little refill stations. You know how you go to the grocery store and you want to buy peanuts and you pull the handle and fill the bag. Well you have that for color Star too. Nelson's color Star is available that way too in many places here around the Houston area. All right, we are going to head to the phones now, and first thing I want to do is talk to Danny Lenderman from Enchanted Forest Garden Center.
Speaker 16: Danny, are you there, Yes, sir, Good morning.
Speaker 5: Good morning. You had a Grench deal going on yesterday, didn't you.
Speaker 16: We did. It was good turn good turnout, and everybody had fun. Santa Santa visited as well, so that was it was good.
Speaker 5: Well, you guys do a great job of events like that. I saw the pictures of people that made little things to take home, and it sound like it.
Speaker 16: Was a lot of fun that they enjoyed that.
Speaker 5: Well, Denny, I'd like to ask you, what would you say would be a few gift ideas from Enchanted for us that you think would be cool. Maybe some things people haven't thought of, maybe some things they have.
Speaker 16: Well, the girls in the gift shop go through it and then made me a list of about five hundred things, so I ed it down a little bit.
Speaker 5: Let's let's cover the first one hundredth of that list.
Speaker 16: When times, When times always make a good gift. We have a brand of wind times called Music of the Spears, and it's they are just oh, those are great, phenomenal.
Speaker 5: I love them. And they're tuned. They're tuned to be harmonic and that is so cool.
Speaker 16: Yeah, they are awesome, are awesome. Of course we have statues, little religious statues, all kind of little fun statues. Those are always good and of course they last forever. So which is you know, a gift that you won't have to throw away next year because they've made some concrete so they don't last for a very very long time.
Speaker 5: That's a good point.
Speaker 16: We have b Lover decor and local honey, so that's always a fun, a fun thing. My wife's gonna start keeping bees next year, so she's excited to do that. And there's a lot of other people that do that, so it is a fun thing.
Speaker 5: Is that in your gift shop back there, Like if you're staring at the cash registers, it's the built of the room behind them.
Speaker 16: Right, correct, correct? And that that area now smells like Christmas, Like you wouldn't believe. I walked in there yesterday and I'm like, wow, if I was a think of Christmas, this is what Christmas smells like.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 16: Candles, we have candles. Candles always make a good gift is scented for for the holidays. And every day since, so you don't have to have just a Christmas candle. The decorative glass hearts, the blown glass hearts. I don't know if you've ever seen those before, but those are those are very popular.
Speaker 5: I think I have those are things you hang right, they right on the.
Speaker 16: Table exactly exactly. Yeah, those are those are really neat and thoughtful and all that. So that's a that's a good idea. We have Calivera all kinds of different Calavera pots and decor so those are those are always popular. We have some tea towels with different funny scenes on them, right, so okay, and funny things for the kitchen. Uh, those are always popular.
Speaker 5: You're good at that. I like the t shirts you guys sell, tell you yeah a bid by.
Speaker 16: I'm not gonna that we sell those two.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they're great. I don't I'm not going to even try to quote any of them, but they'll they'll they'll crack you up.
Speaker 16: Okay, Yeah, for sure, for sure, those are really popular. Apparently I'm not I don't have any teenagers, but apparently Natural Life brand uh blankets and pillows and purses and socks we have and apparently Natural life is is a popular brand for the for the youngsters. Now we do that. Those books, we have books out there. Books are good. One of the books that happened to stumble across was called how You Raise a Wild Child? And I thought maybe my parents wrote that, But come to find out, it's about raising kids with with a little nature involved, instead of being behind a TV screen or a computer screen all day. So I think that's a good idea. I think we've lost touch of that as as the kids go. Yes, wind spinners, that's cool.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 16: The wind spinners are always really neat, really neat.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like you hang out, hang out on the edge of the porch and stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 16: They are sitting on a pole basically, and they spin with the wind and they're just really intriguing to watch. It's it's almost horizing.
Speaker 5: Danny, give me, give me, give me Emerald. Let's yes, the four sports. Let's do one more. Let's do one more. And then I've got a commercial about to hit me here.
Speaker 16: How about how about gardening tools? Corona makes garden tools all the different always yeah, always, for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like that, And I'm gonna just go up for I'm going to add one last one before we close here. Uh, go outside and look at the plants. You know, a beautiful rose bush will be something I remembered for ever. And if it's someone that's it's older on your on your list to the little note with them. Hey, I'll come over, have a cup of coffee and we'll get this planet together. And and the boy that the memories that I still walk around my landscape and see plants that people gave me and I think about that person. Hey, thank you, thank you so much for going on that. I really appreciate that. Good luck down there. And if you haven't visited in Jenny Forest, folks, you need to go see it. It is a beautiful, wonderful place. Thanks Danny, thanks for having me.
Speaker 16: Thank you you.
Speaker 5: Bet all righty, all right, got to run to a quick break here. All right, folks, welcome back to garden Line. We are glad to have you with us today. I'm gonna go right to the phones again. This is our hour of gift ideas for gardeners on your list and even for non gardeners on your list, and we're going to head out to the phones and talk to Heather from Buchanans Garden Center. Hey, Heather, welcome to Garden Line.
Speaker 17: Hi Skiff, how are you.
Speaker 5: I'm good, I'm good. I'm sorry I missed your event yesterday. That looked like a lot of fun.
Speaker 17: Yeah, we had a lot of fun. I'm sure all the kids had fun too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well kids of all ages. I'm still a kid too. Well, I'm glad you're here. How about giving us a few ideas on some Christmas gift ideas from Beginning's Nursery on eleven Street in the Heights.
Speaker 17: I have got so many ideas for you, kid, I don't know if I can fit them alleys, and.
Speaker 5: I asked you to pick a few.
Speaker 17: Yeah, that's right. So I was going to start with just like my plant parents. You know, we've got lots of house plants and fun decorative pottery. I think that that, you know, any plant parent would really love. I don't know if you all visited the Greenhouse that we've got lots in there to choose from. Of course, for your hostess paper White and Amarilla's bulbs. And for those ornament exchange parties, You've got lots and lots of fun unique ornaments for those parties that you go to, for the kids who've got jellycat plushies, baby toys, and books, and you know, for those nature lovers, we've got insect houses, hummingbird feeders and bird houses that are really cool. So lots of shoes from Yeah, and for guys, you know, we've got barbecues, spice gift sets. That's a really cool addition to the buffalo.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I like all of those, and I've I always tell people plants are also just a great gift because absolutely give a plant, you're you're giving a memory too as well. So and you guys specialize in natives, although you have pretty much ever kind of plant you can imagine, and so unusual plant that maybe not everybody has, but everybody should because it's just not been religious.
Speaker 17: Yeah. Yeah, we've got tons of really unique natives. Obviously, we have lots of gifts that grow, as I like to call them, you know, citrus. I know that's a really popular gift during the holidays. And also you know, gift cards. You can never go wrong with a good gift card.
Speaker 5: No, that's true, that's true. That way they get to pick up what they want. Yeah, I love ceterrius. I have fixing to put in some trees and an orchard and centrius is including that as well as a couple of patioceterris which I could sit beside a blooming citrus and smell the air for days on end.
Speaker 17: It is so wonderful, right, And you know, we just got our a lot of blue bonnets in that's also really popular. A lot of people like have those for spring. So another great gift idea. And you know, speeds great stocking suffers for all of your gardening friends.
Speaker 5: That's that is good. And you do you guys have a really good selection of seeds as well. You know, the blue bonnets, that's it. I hadn't thought about that, but now that we have them by transplant so available. Uh, that's a good one to put in. You know, like when you cut back, maybe your lantana's or something filling with blue bonnets to enjoy that while the lantana decides to wake up in the spring.
Speaker 17: Exactly definitely, I would. You know, we've got a lot of those that just came in, those chansplants and they look really really great, good.
Speaker 5: Good those are those are really cool ideas. Anything from the standpoint of going going back into the greenhouse, the houseplants and things, any specific things that you think are catching people's I was talking earlier about how much I love Agema, the Chinese evergreen, because of the colorful foliage and to the wonder wonderful versions of green we have in most of our house plants.
Speaker 17: Well, right now we've got a large selection in Zygo cactus. I would say that's probably been the most popular item in the gift shop. Are the greenhouse right now, you know, because it's about ready to bloom and it's a great house plant just to always have.
Speaker 5: As well, we've gotten a lot.
Speaker 17: Of fiddly thigs. We've gotten a lot of philodendrons that are really great. So, lots of fun house plants that people you know love, a lot of plants that are the easy care plants like snake plants things like that, as easy plants that are easy to take care of for those you know, new new house plants lovers.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I've said it more than once on Garden Line that if you can't grow a mother in lost tongue, I can't help you, because I'm pretty sure it's easier than silk plants to keep looking good.
Speaker 17: Yeah, they're pretty simple. They're pretty simple.
Speaker 5: You mentioned the Zygo cactus, you know, the Thanksgiving and Christmas cacti. A lot of people are kind of afraid to try them, but they are so easy at my house. Plans have to thrive on neglect. I hope if anyone could see some of the plants at my house, say, quit listening to garden. I seriously, I get around and neglecting them. And those You water them once in a while, get them in a moderate light outside, and they just mind. I need to go outside and bring them in. It's getting cooler now. Mine are cos and I can't take credit for doing that. That's an easy plant.
Speaker 17: Yeah, you treated them like a cactus, you know, so you know, a little a little of youse, you know, like, don't water them often, and they're they're pretty easy take care of.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's good. Well, I know it's always fun to go there to be cannons and shop and visit. And I really appreciate you taking some time to come on and yeah with this about some of these ideas. So you all do care. I tell people every time I talk about Buchanans, you got to sign up for your newsletters and you got to go look at all the videos and educational stuff. The website is just y'all have done an outstanding job on it, and I just congratulate on that trying to get people a look at it because it's.
Speaker 17: Yeah, we have a lot of I wanted to make that website more of like a resource for education and really to learn about gardening, and so that's what we have on there. It's you know, we've got a really fun plant library. It's not what we have an inventory, but it is a library of plants. We've got a lot of educational videos, like you said, and a lot of great blog posts that I think are really informative. Plus our gardening calendar is always a hit.
Speaker 5: That that is a good, a very helpful thing as well. Well, Heather, thank you so much for taking time out to come on today. We really appreciate that.
Speaker 17: Hey, thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: All right, well, you take care. All right, folks, We are going to continue on here with our gift ideas thing as we go to a break here in a little bit and come back. I did want to mention you heard me talk about quality home products all the time and the fact that their Generaic automatic standby generator is a very very dependable, high quality product. But it's not just that product itself, it's the fact that you're getting quality homes customer service when you go into the process. So from the beginning, you give them a call, they talk to you, They go through the different options they have, ask you questions about your home. What do you want it to be able to do and not? Do you know, are we talking about power in the whole house or we just talk about keeping the freezers going when the power goes out, and they kind of walk you through that process. Then they deal with all the things that the hoops you got to jump through. You know, maybe there's regulations from the city or some other entity that you got to go through. Those hoops. They do that for you, and then they come out and they put on a pad that is thick, not the little thin kinds that you bump them with the lawnmower and now you've knocked your thing out of whack. They do that, they make sure that everything is set up well, and then after they walk away and you're set up, you're good to go. It's twenty four to seven three sixty five service. That is why eight times they've won the Pinnacle Award the Best the most Prestigious Customer Service Award the Better Business Bureau does twenty twenty four. They were next Door Neighborhood Fave that is outstanding service and that is outstanding products, recognizing them for that. If you want more information, go to Quality TX dot com, Quality t X dot comth or just call them seven one to three Quality. This company is a family owned operation. They're dedicated to make a positive impact here in the community and they donate locally to food backs, food banks, but funding schools. They helped with the providing the COVID relief, and they just essentially just make our community a better place to live. Quality home Products of Texas. That is important. I talk all the time about the soil and the importance of taking care of the soil and making sure the soil is in the best condition that it can be, and Microlife Products is all about that same thing. Microlife is designed with a lot of microbial content in whatever product you buy. You know, from their summertime green bag six to four fertilizers to the fall fertilizers we just got through putting on to the liquid products that they have, and their liquid products are really outstanding. The Biomatrix, particularly because it's a higher nitrogen fertilizer product that isn't The label is an orange label, by the way, and I use it on houseplants. You can use it on outdoor plants for sure. It's not going to burn plants. I just mix it in some water. And the way I like to do it is just every time I water, I have a very low dose of biomatrix and the water or you can occasionally, maybe once a month, give them a good dose a biomatrix. It works really, really well, and you're going to see the results from it. I can tell you this because I've used it myself. I know the product and I know it works, but it's just one of many. I'd suggest you go to microlifefertilizer dot com and look at all the dry granular products by the bag and buy the jar, look at the liquid products that they carry, and I think you'll agree with me that when it comes to stimulating the biological activity, when it comes to fertilizing your plants naturally, they have really put together an awesome package for doing just that. It is time for me to take a little break and then we're going to come back to some gift ideas to help you have a memorable Christmas. You know, there's the people that what am I going to buy them? They have everything? What's different? You know, what's different than the standard kinds of gift. That's what we're talking about today. So stay tuned. We've got more of that good stuff coming up. Welcome back to Garden Line, folks. We are glad you're with us. We're continuing with our theme this hour of great Christmas gifts. You know those people that you're shopping for and it's like, what can I get them that's unique, that's different. Well, that's what we're all about here. We're going to go straight to the phones and talk to Beverly from Arburgate. Hey beb Welcome to Garden Lines. Good to have you with us.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, Skip, It's great to be here. How are you.
Speaker 5: I'm doing well, having a good time today. I'm excited about hearing you tell us about some of the cool stuff that you guys have there at Arburgate. Now I realize that this could take what five shows over a course of two or three months right to do exactly. We're going to hit it and go for fast here. So I'll just turn it over to you. Give us some great ideas people might enjoy.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you.
Speaker 8: Skip.
Speaker 18: You know, gardeners, whether they're new gardeners or experienced gardeners, love.
Speaker 3: To be inspired.
Speaker 18: So one simple way to do it is a really good book that we Carrie called Month by Month Gardening Texas.
Speaker 3: Are you familiar with that?
Speaker 5: Another guy? I've heard the guy. I know he's kind of shady, but anyway, so books.
Speaker 18: Are a great way, especially on cold, winter, rainy days like this, you know, to get your gardener inspired. Another way is a is a gift certificate for a one on one in house consultation, whether you're trying to reimagine a garden, add edibles, roses, create a habitat guard you know, sometimes we get a little steymied when we, you know, look at our same landscape day after day. So an in house personal consultation is a great way to get started on inspiration.
Speaker 3: Another thing is.
Speaker 18: Maybe, yeah, another way is to maybe bring some of that inspiration indoors. There's a well known artist, Houston Lou from Georgia who creates a product called a spirit tile. Each tile is a handmade work of art of copper and glass and each piece is perfect to celebrate your gardener or inspire them to follow their dreams and ambitions. So inspiration is a good way to start. Another may be sound in the garden. You know, there's wonderful chimes called Music of the Spheres that are handmade in Austin, and they're lifelong chimes. They're just not decorative pieces. They're hand tuned to specific melon. Now one of the more popular ones is called pentatonic, and the notes of that wind chime are the notes of amazing grace.
Speaker 3: So you know, yeah, sound in.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and sound in the garden is so very very important. Another way to achieve that is through fountains, through water features. You know, we have things as small as tabletops, but you can create a custom, one of a kind fountain with the beautiful Vietnamese pottery. You know, you can, depending on your space allowed, you know, do the beautiful disappearing fountains into a reservoir or a self contained fountain. And they can even be made with light fixtures that are remote control, so when you're outside in the evening, you can light up that fixture.
Speaker 5: That's I was going to say, the fountain is in light is such a good idea because enjoying ours and having the sound of water, it is like a therapy session just to listen to water splashing around in the landscape.
Speaker 18: Right, it's so soothing. And you know, as gardeners, what do we do first thing in the morning, grab our coffee and go outside. So what a great day way to start the day. And then we also want to add whimsy to the garden. You know, there's so many beautiful pieces now of glass artwork, which if you walk through Arbrigate you know, we're big fans of art in the garden. And the glass garden is so beautiful. The light catches it, it changes colors throughout the day. It is not susceptible to freeze damage, so we don't have to worry about gathering it up in bad weather.
Speaker 3: You know, I love bottle trees.
Speaker 18: And we've got them custom made bottle trees and all sizes, tabletop all the way to like hanging chandeliers. They're just absolutely gorgeous and mesmerizing.
Speaker 5: I love I love the little uh covered your little covered area over to the left of your gift shop. For those folks that haven't been out there, you got to go and allow yourself time because your your eyes, you're gonna be blown away. But that covered area where you have the glass bowls on the wall, the beautiful gloss, yeah, times and things. I could just spend an hour just in that one spot right there, looking at all the cool stuff. I'm sorry to you, but go ahead.
Speaker 3: No, I was going to say, bring a launch.
Speaker 13: Hang out.
Speaker 3: We love that.
Speaker 18: Yeah, You've got to walk through several times, that's for sure, because there's always something.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 18: There's a little ceramic mushrooms too, those are great. And we had some custom designed toadhouses made, and there's you know, it's been years since I've found some really creative, colorful toadhouses.
Speaker 3: They really do go to them.
Speaker 18: But again they are another piece of art and color, permanent color, even on these dreary days, to look at and see all that bright, cheerful color in the garden.
Speaker 8: That is.
Speaker 5: Those are great ideas well.
Speaker 18: And one last, but not least, is to pamper your gardener. We have some locally made candles that are actually made from all essential oils and herbs. It's a long burning candle. But what is so surprising about it is as it melts, it is warm body lotion so you just dick your finger in and you know, after a long, hard day in the garden, it's so nice to put that warm body lotion on.
Speaker 5: That is amazing. I can tell you this. If you buy someone that gift, it'll be a gift they never have gotten before, that's for sure. This is so cool and unique.
Speaker 18: And we have a really wonderful signature, Arborgate Fragrance.
Speaker 5: Oh do you okay? Yes? Yeah, in the candles.
Speaker 18: You mean, yes, yes, in the candles Arburgate Fragrance. That's our own signature fragrance.
Speaker 5: Wow. Well that doesn't surprise me, Beverly, because I can tell you Arburgate is a very unique place and people come from far and wide for a reason, and you're fortunate. We're fortunate to have Ourburgate here in town. And I just love visiting it. And congratulations on that great new parking lot and back on off Threshal Road. It just makes it so easy to get it out in and out of the place. I love it. That is really cool.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you.
Speaker 18: It is a popular spot even if the front is wide open. Everybody loves parking back there. It gives you an opportunity to walk through those garden center, you know, when you come in so you can really see the depth of it. It's kind of deceiving from the front how far back it goes. But we're so excited for this season and we love helping people find that perfect gift.
Speaker 5: Well, and that is absolutely true. And your staff is so knowledgeable. You know you're not going to be misled. People can come in with any kind of question and even something like here's a picture, what can I do to the front of my house? You know, and you guys can help me with it, and that's good. I encourage people to visit and to visit frequently because the Arbigate landscape changes season by season by season, and it's always something new and cool out there. Beverly, thank you so much for being on. It's wonderful to have you. Unfortunately I got to take a break here, but I appreciate you calling in today.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you skipping Merry Christmas.
Speaker 5: I'm Merry Christmas to you all as well. All right, folks, time for me to take a little break and we will be back. All right, Welcome back to guard Line, folks. We're ready to go over the last segment of the hour. We got one more hour in the books coming up and more gift ideas. When we get back to that hour, I wanted to do my what is it broken record thing? You know, brown stuff before green stuff. I just know that the most important thing you can do to have success with plants is to take care of the soil first and then put in your plants. That's how that works, and the plants then are happy where they are right. Ciena Multch specializes in the brown stuff, and by brown stuff I mean organic materials like native hardwood maltz, double ground malts, two inch screen malts. It like the soil products like a rose soil and a veggiean herb mix from airlom soils. They carry that like Louis Louisiana excuse Landscaper's Pride black velvet malts, they carry that as well. In fact, they've got products from Landscaper's Pride from heirloom soils. And they also have fertilizers which is part of the brown stuff, to increase the nutrition in the soil. Things for microlife, the azamite that I talk about all the time, Nelson's turf Star line and other Nelson plant foods. Nitrofoss products are all their medina products are there. So when you go into Cenamaltu, when you call them up and you get your r together, you're coming home to create the perfect environment. A soil with a bank account of nutrients, a soil that drains well, A soil that supports extensive root growth, which makes your plant more drought resilient and helps it to thrive. Don't PLoP a plant into an unprepared plot, A poor plant. I needed another p in there. Don't PLoP a poor plant in an unprepared plot. Go to Cianimals, give them a call cnimals dot com. They are on FM five twenty one South Houston near Highway six and two eighty eight. They are open Monday Friday seven thirty to five Saturday seven thirty to two. They're closed today, but tomorrow would be a good day to get going, because you know what, as we enter this week, we've got some wonderful sunny weather. Take advantage of it. Get those gardens ready to go, because next thing you know, you can be ready to plant. And if the soil is already ready, you're good to go. I have made that mistake before where I waited too long and all of a sudden, whoo, here we go, it's raining. And I got a plant. And like my friend, I used to have a fellow knew doctor or mister Alden Colston and Conroe, Texas at the community garden out there called the Friendship Garden at that time. Uh. And he used to say, you can always add water, but you can't take it away. That's true. That's true. Make hay while the sunshines, make soil beds while the sun shines too. The sun is going to shine this week. So anyway, that was your public service announcement. I guess to get you off to a good start. Ace hardware stores are wonderful places to find everything you need for this season of the year, for example, holiday lighting indoor and outdoor, holiday decorations indoor and outdoor as well. You want to make that living room beautiful, You want to make the front of the house beautiful with lighting and other kinds of decor. Do you want to create that same ambiance in the back at a patio, a sitting area, port, something along those lines. They can get you set up for that. They've got gifts for all including toys and tools and home furnishings and things that just make your place more fun and I think make life a little easier too in the process. By the way, some of the really cool items for indoors that they carry now. Participating ACE Hardware stores offer you an option to round up for kids. It's called Round for Kids. It's a fundraiser for the Children's Miracle Network. It's a local affiliate here is our Texas Children's Hospital. So every time you check out, you can say round up and they take it to the next dollar. I mean, just pocket change for you. But when you take all of the shoppers at all of these participating Ace Hardware stores, it makes us significant difference, and I appreciate the fact that they are willing to do that. You're going to find Ace Hardware stores all over go to Acehardware dot com. You can find many many locations near you, such as All Star Ace Hardware. They have two locations, one in Spring and one in Magnolia. If you're at in Kingwood or a Tascasida, you've got K and M Hardware at those two locations as well. And then up in Lake Conroe. Lake Conroe Ace Hardware another place where you can find these things that I'm talking about here at ace. We are going to be going to a break here in just a little bit, and when we come back, I'm gonna I've got a couple of ideas that i want to talk about. First thing I'm going to talk about is nine pruning mistakes to avoid. Nine pruning mistakes to avoid, So stay tuned for that. These are things. Listen. I've been doing this for forty plus years and I can tell you I've seen it all. And if you don't, promise not to tell anybody, I've done a lot of them too and learned the hard way. But weren't talk about nine pruning mistakes to avoid. That ought to make it a little bit, I don't know, more productive for you when to get out there, because we are entering the big time season for pruning. Intended Gardens Garden Center is done in Richmond, Texas. It's on FM three fifty nine. I would recommend you just write down the website Intended Gardens Richmond dot com and that'll tell you everything you need to know, hours of operation, how to get there, where it's located, and other things. You're going to find what you would expect to find from a sprawling, full service independently owned garden center. It's really like no other. And they also, by the way, are going to carry things like Microlife and nitrofoss and Nelson plant Food and Medina soil products from heirloom soils and Nature's Way and Landscapers Pride for crying out loud. Whatever you're looking for to make the brown stuff, it's sitting right there waiting for you now. The Lenderman family has been part of that community since nineteen ninety five when Chenna Garden first opened, and it truly is an unforgettable experience to go visit with them. I am a especially appreciative of beyond the wide variety of plants, the very helpful team. They're about as enthusiastic as they come. You can bring in photos, and you can bring in pictures, applying samples or things, and they'll help you with them. They'll point you in the right direction. Right now is Christmas time. They are loaded up with all the things you need from Christmas for Christmas, from plants to things from the gift shop. So take advantage of that and go out and visit them an intended gardens nursery again. They're on FM three point fifty nine it's on the Katie fulsher side of Richmond Enchanted Gardens regimend dot com. All right, it's about time for me to give up the microphone here as we get to the top of the hour, I want to remind you that my website, Gardening with Skip is where I put everything that I want to refer you to, such as the lawn care schedule such as the our lawn pest disease and weed management schedule. Also up there is a publication I wrote a few years ago with a specialist from the Horn Department on protecting landscape plants from frosts and freezes from your vegetable gardens to your landscape. There's a lot of good information on there. Check it out now and read it now so you can get the supply so when that freezes forecast from its stringing around trying to get what you do leading. I've been.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Katie r. H. Garden Line with scamp Rictor.
Speaker 4: It's crazy trip.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as so many.
Speaker 3: Birthdays to sept Day.
Speaker 4: Not a sid.
Speaker 5: Sun Welcome, welcome back. Good to have you with us on garden Line. Appreciate you listening in man if you like to call in do that as well. We're gonna be uh. I'm going to have a little bit of time here, I can take a call or two, and then we're going back into our uh visit about great ideas for gardening gifts for you. We're going to be doing that for most of this hour. I have a few time for a little bit of calls at the end as well, but I hope you're enjoying that. Right now. I want to talk to you about some pruning mistakes that people may try to go through. Nine of them, if I'm able to hear that. I see commonly now people head out with printers and go after a tree or shrub, oftentimes really not knowing how to proNT it. And I understand that pruning is not just automatically intuitive as as you have you go about it. I spent a whole show talking about proper pruning, but I still want to talk about a few things that you want to avoid in order to have success and for the results to be which you want. Number One, dull, poorly adjusted tools. A clean cut made with sharp printers, heels the fastest when your printers are dull, when they're not well oiled. Used to get some rust on the blades. It takes more wear and tear on your hands and joints to do our shoulders. If you're using loppers to do that kind of pruning, I suggest you use the bypass type pruner. So think of a pair of scissors as opposed to the anvil type where the blade comes to a stop on a flat surface. I find that the bypass type seem to work a lot better for me. A good quality, well adjusted and sharp pruning tools. Number two, pruning plants that only bloom in the spring in the winter. Pruning plants that only bloom and spring in the winter. Spring bloomers set buds in mid to late summer for the following year, like Azela's. For example, spyriea flowering quints, and so you burn them in the winter, you don't get the prunes. Now, I got a couple of calls here. I don't want to have to wait, so we got through two of them. We're going to continue back with that in a bit. Here we're going to go first of all to JJ and Paarland. Hey, JJ, how can we help today?
Speaker 19: You're Lauryn Skip. I first want to say you're so patient with your callers love that. Okay, I'm still learning. Okay, Yes, my plumbbi goes. I usually turn them back to the ground about this time of year, but would it be okay to not prone them and just let them the natural branches fall and cut them back in the spring. I've read both ways.
Speaker 5: Yes, you can do that, Yes, and I whoever really mild winter, you may they may not die back as far. But yeah, the printing them back, you can wait until the end of winter to do that. In fact, that that top cover helps provide a little bit of protection for the base of the plant too.
Speaker 19: But that was my thank you too, Thank you so much. That's what I mentioned. No, you have a great guy, skip you too.
Speaker 5: That's wonderful. Thanks a lot, appreciate it. We're going to go now to Lakeside of States and talk to Maureene. Hello, Maureene.
Speaker 20: Hey, I'm happy to hear your voice and taking calls.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 20: So, over the years I put in some cameleons, and I do understand that there are different names for each one, and so that's what my problem is. I have one that's doing very well, so apparently that's that plant's time. The other ones haven't even started budding.
Speaker 17: So what am I needing to do?
Speaker 20: Since they haven't started budding, they're going to bloom later.
Speaker 17: What can I do?
Speaker 20: I need to fertilize them because I'm too early for their buds.
Speaker 5: Well, you should be having buds forming the sussanquies or blooming typically December. The jabonicos mostly in January. But I would say make sure they get on to light. Camellias grow in some shade, but not too much shade. That's important making if the did the plants look healthy, nice, green, and some bigger.
Speaker 20: Yes, yes, some of them do, but they are the ones that are getting more sunlight.
Speaker 17: I had somehow picked up.
Speaker 20: A message that they didn't mind if they got shade, So apparently maybe I need to move them.
Speaker 17: I mean, if they're not doing it well.
Speaker 5: They know that your message is right. They don't want to be in full brunt of sun. But as the shade levels get too high you don't get too much shade, you don't get the blooming that you do. If they look pretty good, I would just fertilize them using an acid loving plant food starting in spring. Don't fertilize them right now, but starting in the spring, use an acid loving plant food to form some vigor and growth on them, and they should do. Okay, if you want to take a pictures or sample of it, you know, into a garden center and independent garden center and have them take a look and see if they notice anything on that, that would be another option. Or you could send me a picture and I'll be glad to give you my opinion on it. If you want to go that way. It just looks exhausted.
Speaker 20: That's the easiest way.
Speaker 5: It sounds like to me. It sounds yeah. Camellias want acid, yes, soil. They want an acid loving soil that's well, that's well drained, and that has good nutrient content. Think of a forest soil with decaying organic matter that's very rich, very moist, and very well drained. That that's what they want.
Speaker 20: Okay, So can I do a dalia food or what is the number? What are the three numbers that I need to for the acid loving.
Speaker 5: Don't don't worry about well, there's a lot of different brands, so the numbers vary, but go with the something for azaleas, camellias for blueberries for you know, if it says rhododendron on the label. We don't grow those here, but that's the same kind of food. Uh and and you'll do just fine. Microlife has a product for acid loving plants, if you if you like them organic types of products, Yeah, just get a bag of their their pink it's kind of a pinkish bag that's for acid loving plants, and use that. Follow the label. You'll be good.
Speaker 17: Hey, all right, I got happy bye bye, Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you for the call you bet bye bye. All right, Well, Bill, I didn't quite make it to you here. We're about to have to take a break. Let's see where was I. I'm going to give a couple of real quick more tips on putting, shearing, or hedging plants. When you're trying to create a hedge, keep the top narrower than the bottom. Keep the top narrower than the bottom. Otherwise, if it gets top heavy, it becomes instead of it like a capital A, it becomes a capital V. If it gets top heavy like that, it shades out the bottom and you lose your foliage down low. So it could either be perfectly parallel sides or a little narrower on the top and you maintain good cover all the way. Through so there is one more tip and I'm about to run for a break here. We will be back with some more Christmas ideas as well as at the end of the show today we'll take a couple more of you calls. This is your Sunday morning moment of Zen. We can thank me later. We like to have some fun with the music here, so you never know what's gonna happen. Keep listening. We're gonna go straight out to the phones now and continue with our theme of great Christmas gift ideas. And I think we have Louis on the phone. Is that correct, Louis, are you there?
Speaker 8: That is correct?
Speaker 5: Okay, good, good, Well, welcome to Garden Line. Good to have you on. I think you're gonna tell us a little bit about some ideas from Warren's Garden Center that would be good for folks as gifts, maybe for gardeners or even non gardeners on the list.
Speaker 11: Yes, that's correct, But let's start with Kingwood Garden Center in Kingwood. Okay, the garden Center has a gift shop and we have everything in the gift shop for fifty percent off.
Speaker 8: Right now through.
Speaker 11: Through before inventory or Christmas, which is going to be right around the tay. But in that gift shop we have picture frames, sunglasses, hats, we have party supplies, candles, jewelry, there's a lot of Christmas reheated merchandise right now, ornaments, trees. Also, both garden centers were installing gardens and Kingwood Garden Center have all pottery thirty percent off right now. Points set us at twenty five percent off if somebody wants to go pipe points set us.
Speaker 8: And we still have Christmas trees.
Speaker 11: We have about eighty beautiful, natural, fresh caught Christmas trees available.
Speaker 5: Cool, well good. Those are some good ideas. And I know Kingwood Garden Center has been going through the sale because they're planning on getting in a bunch of new material. Then I believe after they they complete this process at least that's what I ask.
Speaker 11: Yes, what we are doing is we are we're restocking. What is the gift shop today. We're going to put more garden in and outdoor living related inventory and so and there's going to be a section of door plants and indoor plant supplies, including in door lighting, which.
Speaker 8: Is going to be very very cool to have in that area area.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no kitten, no kitten, that's that's a great idea. That's a great idea.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: For those of you that are that have kids or grandchildren. Next Saturday at the fourteenth, starting at nine thirty am through four pm, we have Santa Claus at Warrants Southern Gardens on North.
Speaker 5: Park, all right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and you can make a reservation online, so visit on social media for the events page.
Speaker 5: Well, that's great. That that is really cool. I always love going out to guards Warns and Kingoo Garden Center too, beautiful places. Just the selection and supply of all kinds of things. What are some other things that you think might be good as a Christmas gift for someone from one of the garden centers.
Speaker 11: Well, so, you can never go wrong with a houseplant, a small house plant to somebody that likes anything that is plant related. And we have a pretty nice selection, and not only at our garden centers, but any of the garden centers. You talk about, a house plant is a very nice thing to give, something that you can give as well that it can get it somebody ready for the season. I don't know how often you see a pack of fertilector or a pack of soil under the tree, but there you go.
Speaker 5: If you're a gardener, yeah yeah, if you're a gardener, or a bag of compost wouldn't be.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'll accomplished micros.
Speaker 5: There you go, there you get. Those are all great ideas.
Speaker 11: I think taking advantage of this this these uh discounts would be good because you know, you're saving, you know, so you have access to all this beautiful inventory, and you know, the Christmas is such a such a wonderful time, but it's also such a confusing time because you have to decide. You have to make all these decisions as to what to give, So go up please like that, and you have all these different options, right, Well, well.
Speaker 5: How about how about this is an idea. Why don't we make it available for them to purchase having you come out and plant any of the plants they buy at Warrens. You show up at the house, you'll make the bed, you'll put in the soil, you'll plant the plants. Does that sound reasonable to you? You know what?
Speaker 11: I would love to do it, that is, and I'm serious, I would love to do that instead of you know, doing the sales and managing the marketing and all that things.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well I'm just messing with you. But I think for ten thousand dollars they might be able to work something out. That's a price of Christonal skift. But hey, hey, you know money is no object, right, yeah.
Speaker 11: I can get the best crew for you and the com and rears and the whole, you know, a nice section of the garden there.
Speaker 5: You go, Well, that's that's really good. And I know another thing that Warrens does is the combination container planting. You guys have beautiful containers out there. Combination planning, you know, where you put together maybe a planting that could be put together with the different kinds of things that would do well in the cool season. That would be another idea.
Speaker 11: I know you do that, yes, and that's we have two very talented people in our staff, Crispin at Kingwood Garden Center in the at Warren sn Arts.
Speaker 8: And what you can do is you can say I need I need a pod. You know.
Speaker 11: You can go choose your pottery and you tell them the vision you have, or you choose the plans and you tell them, hey, make these plans look beautiful and this pot that you choose, and they have an amazing creative mind to put these plans together and We have some videos on TikTok.
Speaker 8: Specifically the Warren stt and Gardens.
Speaker 11: TikTok has a video of me putting these together for it was a it was an arrangement.
Speaker 8: For Fall full color.
Speaker 11: So yeah, that's a great point, Skip, thank you for bringing it up. And the price, uh is you pay for the plant and you pay a small fee for putting it together, so it's it's pretty affordable and it's actually probably one of the best gifts that you can do as a centerpiece for a table or an event like a party coming up.
Speaker 20: You know.
Speaker 11: So you just got to color and make sure that you call us and ask if if there were in that day.
Speaker 5: That sounds good, That sounds very good. Well and you got I think you said you guys or did you you guys have gift certificates available.
Speaker 11: No, we don't have gift certificates. What you can do is you can you can call or when you're visiting wanting to buy a gift certificate, you do a prepayment and what we do will create an account for the person that would be the recipient of that gift and they would have a credit on account that they can use.
Speaker 5: Yeah, same thing, So good good. Well, any other any other thing you want to add before we go, Uh.
Speaker 11: Well, other than you know, we were reconfiguring the interior of the garden center at Kingwood Garden Center.
Speaker 8: No, it's you know, I want to thank.
Speaker 11: Everybody that's been shopping at the garden centers this year, uh, the that go to Warrensall and Gardens. Thank you for being patient with that construction on North Park. And you know, I wish everybody at Merry Christmas and also on behalf of the other company that I work with and represent, Heirloom Soils. You know, thank you to everybody that's made that brand grow in twenty twenty four. It's been a great ride and we're looking forward to us to come in twenty twenty five. There's a lot of new things happening.
Speaker 5: Well good, it's great. And you mentioned you mentioned Warren's on North Park. A Kingwood Garden Center for those who haven't been there is on Stone Hollow driving Kingwood. So you're really fortunate to have both of these outstanding garden centers just so close to you. So Louise, thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 8: Thank you STI time and Merry Christmas story Ready.
Speaker 5: Merry Christmas to you as well. All right there you go. Well, that's a bunch of ideas, folks, And you know, there's always some nice cool things that you can add for people that are on your Christmas list. One thing I'll add to it. We talk about Wildbirds a lot here, and wild Birds is set up for Christmas gifts as well. You know, you go into a wildbird store and you've got bird houses. You've got there really cool Martin houses, both the kind that look like white gourds and the kind that are like little condos that they telescope down or the house itself comes down where you can clean it. You can you know, get all the old nests or whatever out of there. Each year, make sure everything's going good. But you need to get those, and that'd be a good time to give one because in February we need to get those up because the Martins or purple Martins start to show back up as the scouts come looking for a place to live. At Wildbirds, there's some great gifts on birding, one written by the owner of the company that is outstanding. There is also high quality bird feed If someone already has feeders and things. Some of the high quality blends or a gift certificate for the wild Birds Unlimited would be another good idea for you there. I find that every time I go in, you know, I may go I go in for bird seed. I like their Wildbirds Unlimited Winter super Blend for this time of year. But while I'm there, I find myself looking at all the little bird baths and a lot of the different accessories for bird feeding that they have at Wildbirds. So keep that in mind as well. Well. I was going over some tips for pruning, so I'm just going to keep going on that. Another tip for pruning is to notice what kind of pruning a plant needs. If it's a shrub I'm talking about. So a lot of times people hedge plants that shouldn't be hedged, you know, Like there are plants that bloom on new growth, and if you keep hedging them, you get very little bloom production and you destroy the natural beauty of that particular plant. Like Abelia is one like that. Abelias are beautiful and if you don't want one that gets big, by one that stays smaller. But I don't hedge those plants. Other plants can be hEDS they're designed for hedging. But when you do that kind of hedging, you create a lot of new branches that form that beautiful dense sides of the plant. But just because it's a shrub doesn't mean it needs to be hedged. Texas Mountain Urrel is an example of that. It is a beautiful form of a shrub. And when you prune it instead of hedging it, you can just take those long, gangly wild hairs going out of the plant and cut them back to where they join another branch. And after pruning, it still looks natural. It doesn't look all chopped up like it just went to the barber shop. All right, Well, I'm getting to the point where I'm going to have to quit talking, but I am gonna say one more thing on pruning. But we'll come back to the list later at the end of the show. Today, leaving stubs cut back to where a branch joins another branch. Don't leave a stub, and also don't cut it flush against the branch that it is attached to. There's a little thing called a branch collar at the base and right where that branch starts to spread out, that's where you need to make the cut. I'll be back in just a moment with more gift ideas. Hey, welcome back, Welcome back to the garden Line. We are glad that you're with us today. We've been talking about Christmas gifts ideas for people that are gardeners or maybe people that aren't gardeners on your list related to plants and the whole outdoor environment we enjoy. And we're going to heading out of the phones and talk to Sherry Hara from Plants for All Seasons. Hello, Sherry, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 13: Good morning. How's it going.
Speaker 5: Good morning, it's going well. We're doing well. I appreciate you calling in today. I would like to I'd like to hear from you some really cool ideas for gifts. You know, sometimes we go shopping and there's that someone that kind of has everything. What do you get that kind of person? Or if it's a gardener on your list or someone who wants to be a gardener. I I'd like to turn it over to you for a minute and let you give us some ideas for that from A plus for All Seasons.
Speaker 13: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 21: You know, one really easy gift idea for anybody who likes to spend time out outside would be wind chimes. Like all the nurseries that you talk about have gift shops in them, and they all have a selection of wind chimes, usually kind of a more fine tuned wind chime selection like gardener spheres or.
Speaker 13: Woodstock, but those.
Speaker 21: Are easy to wrap up and stick under the tree. And I don't everybody has a tone of wind chime that they like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, now does woodstock? Is that like heavy metal headbanging stuff from the sixties? You know, maybe probably.
Speaker 21: What New York WoT Okay, actually, yeah, that's where the company's from.
Speaker 13: And they're all fine.
Speaker 21: Tuned, different themes, beautiful sounds.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, well good, that's a great idea. That always is a great idea. What are some other thing?
Speaker 13: And like I said, easy, easy to wrap windchime? So great stock the bulbs and.
Speaker 21: Seeds, and bulbs and seeds are really fun because it's something that they don't have to plant right now. You can, you know, stuff their stocking with them, and that's something that they can do in the springtime too. It's easy, easy to store till it's time to plant.
Speaker 3: So bulbs and.
Speaker 5: Seeds at supply.
Speaker 21: Yeah, tons of seeds, especially for the veggie gardener. And you know, you could pick up a veggie and our planting guide and get them the seeds appropriate for the you know, next planting season, and and load up there.
Speaker 13: Stocking with them.
Speaker 5: Okay, now, is it physically possible when you walk into plant for all seasons to get to the seeds or through all the point settas and stuff, you guys right there, we.
Speaker 21: Have a right now, yes, but the wall of seeds is accessible absolutely all.
Speaker 5: Right, just thought I check.
Speaker 21: And as far as the bolts go, you know, a lot of your spring blooming bulbs are our most favorite spring blooming bulbs, like our tulips, in our hyacinths.
Speaker 13: We've pre chilled those already. So we have our.
Speaker 21: Refrigerator that we normally have our insects in, like our ladybugs in our nematodes, so we've bloated it up with all the spring blooming bulbs, so they're pre chilled and ready to go, so you don't have to worry about keeping them in the refrigerator for you know, six to eight weeks.
Speaker 13: At this point, they're already chilled.
Speaker 5: Good good, well, I saw the photo of that, and it is gorgeous. The selection of tulips and hyacinth and everything you got.
Speaker 21: Yeah, and you know what happens is, you know down on Post Oak in Houston, people be driving around seeing the tulips at the end of January or in February, and then they'll that's when you want tulips. The problem is is you will have to have a plant to them already to really enjoy them.
Speaker 13: So if you if you're buying for a gardener, you know.
Speaker 21: Buy them some tulips and hyacinbols and tell them to plant them between the holidays so that they're you know, loaded up with those beautiful flowers in the springtime.
Speaker 5: That's a good idea. So between Christmas and New Year's is a great time to get those in the ground.
Speaker 13: Absolutely all right.
Speaker 5: Any other ideas you have, oh yeah, yeah, oh.
Speaker 21: I'm loaded with them, because I mean I'm speaking for the.
Speaker 13: Real gardeners here.
Speaker 21: So real gardeners love to get plants. It doesn't matter, it doesn't matter what the plant is, but citrus trees with all the fixings. So a citrus tree with the citrus food, with the citrus soil, and a frost blanket.
Speaker 13: I mean, what what better gift is that?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 14: Is?
Speaker 5: All the things that go glad you mentioned that.
Speaker 13: Yeah, right, yeah, don't that is.
Speaker 21: Don't leave it just you could even get them the little wheels to put under the pot to move it.
Speaker 3: In for the winter.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, and and that. And since it's a gift, I'm glad you mentioned it that way, because you know, I drone on incessantly about bronze stuff before green stuff. But when you give a gift, somebody's just going to take that citrus out there and PLoP it in the ground, and to give them a soul mix to mix in well, and the food, like you mentioned, I like that. That's really nice.
Speaker 13: Yeah, just everything for success basically.
Speaker 5: So there you go, there you go.
Speaker 13: And then for our younger gardeners.
Speaker 21: And when I say younger, i'm talking you know you're it's it's all the rage to have house plants right now, and sow new home owners that want to do interior plants or even your college students. Indoor house plants are greenhouse is loaded up with exotic and tropicals right now, and so fun things for yeah, fun things for your new gardener. Something maybe easy like an airplant or a promeliad would be amazing, and they're kind of really cool. You know, conversation pieces, but then all the fology plants. Maybe a little pot with some interior plants, soil and some fertilizer would be an amazing gift to open for really any age.
Speaker 5: That is cool. And I know earlier in the year, back in the warmer growing season, you guys had unusual plants like the venus fly trap and some others that are really different and unusual. But you guys always keep a good stock in that greenhouse, so that's cool.
Speaker 21: Yeah, it's loaded up right now and it is absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 5: All right, Well good, it looks like I've got about thirty seconds left. If you can come up with another one, we'll go through.
Speaker 21: Oh well, I mean always, a gift card to your favorite garden center would be an amazing gift. You we sell the plants for all seasons gift cards. But of course, you know all the other nurseries you talk about have gift cards. In what gardener would love a gift card to do their shopping. Some people come and buy five six hundred dollars gift cards to give to their spouse to get their garden going in the spring. So that's that's an amazing gift there you go.
Speaker 5: That's good and you can write on the gift card I've also purchased. It includes a free consultation with someone at Plants for all seasons to walk around and guide you. You don't have to tell the people that that already comes free. When people come to your garden, absolutely give them that little given value. Adam Cherry, thank you, thank you so much. I appreciate you taking time out to visit with us today. If you guys are located off off of two forty nine just north of Lua.
Speaker 14: You got it.
Speaker 13: We've been here for fe fifty two years. This is our fifty second year doing Christmas trees.
Speaker 21: Christmas Trees and Point Set is a full service garden center, so we're always here to help.
Speaker 5: All right, thank you so much again.
Speaker 13: Appreciate that, very very much, Very Christmas.
Speaker 5: H All right, folks, there you have it. We're gonna take a little break here. We got one last segment. I'm opening the phone lines back up and I want to continue talking about pruning if I got a little time in there. Hey, welcome back to garden Line. Glad to have you with us. We got one last segment today and we're about to do it. I talk about soil all the time, and when it comes to soil, if you think back to i'll say, the grandfather of quality soils in this area. You're talking about John Ferguson and Nature's Way Resources. John and now his son Ian running the place produce quality soils. That's just what they do. Whether it is a compost, whether it is a mult to go on top of the soil, whether it is a soil amendment remineralizer. All the different products they have and they have a wide, wide variety of them. It's there Nature's Way. You can buy many of their products in bags at local garden centers, or you can just go out to Nature's Way, take your pickup, take your trailer out there. They're located off Interstate forty five on the way to conro So where fourteen eighty eight comes in from Magnolia. You just turn right or turn to the east to depend on which way you're going, and cross over the railroad tracks and you're at Sherbrook Circle, which is where Nature's Way is. They have fungal Friday's still on twenty percent off their fungal compost. Now they can also deliver it for you if you would like to give them a call, and of course there's a fee for delivery, but have them bring it out and put it right there on your property so you can just go to town making the beautiful garden beds, amending your garden beds, amending your soil top, dressing your lawn with fungal compost or leaf little compost, whatever you need to do. They've got the product to do it that's been made in a quality way so that it has very positive, strong positive results. That's it Nature's Way Resources, Nature's Way Resources nine two seven three, twelve hundred. I'm gonna go to the phones now and we're going to talk to Barbara in northwest Houston. Hey, Barbara Hight, good morning.
Speaker 22: I have a probably a funny question, but I'm start this off with I'm eighty one. I've had a high biscus tree my mother got me in two thousand and one or two, and it's very sentimental to me.
Speaker 3: I transplant it, you know, well, I repot it.
Speaker 22: Let's put it that way every every year, and I just did about two months ago and it's not doing well. I've cut off all the dead branches and everything. It's in my bathtub, so just can we get a laugh of that? But I can't. I can't haul it in and out. So I got it in there and I got my girl lite and it gets a lot of regular sunlight. So it's I don't know what's wrong with it, but it's it's dying.
Speaker 5: Have you put it in the bathtub with the grow light in previous years?
Speaker 3: Yeah, every year since I've had it.
Speaker 5: All right, Okay, so we know that.
Speaker 22: At the winter time, you know, yeah, yeah, pardon me, okay, yeah.
Speaker 5: When you say dying, tell me about kind of the symptoms that you're seeing when you look at it. How does that? What does it look like?
Speaker 3: The whole branch.
Speaker 22: It starts at the top of the branch and then it goes down basically to the trunk. I only have one, two, three good. Well, the fourth branch is the one that's really dying. But the leaves are turning yellow. And I don't over water it, I don't fertilize it. You're gonna laugh at this one, But for years I have done nothing but boil banana skins for about play minutes and then I let it sat for about a day and then I.
Speaker 3: You know, put the liquid in the jar.
Speaker 22: And then that's what I use for fertilization, and it works on all my inside and outside plants. I dilute it with water. I don't put it down there straight. But it has worked all these years. But it's not working anymore. I don't know what's wrong.
Speaker 5: Well, so if the leaves are turning yellow, that could be different things. You know, when leaves get older, they naturally turn yellow and then they fall off. If you go through a droudy period, that can happen to plants. Also, I'm the only thing I can think of. If you say you don't overwater it, it kind of takes out all the possibilities of what would be going wrong other than you know, a sudden change of light intensity or sudden change in watering. Soggy soil creates root rots. Dry soil creates, you know, the drought symptoms.
Speaker 3: But the leaves are just drooping everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, something's wrong in the roots, Barbara, And I don't know for sure what it is. With a biscus. I have one in a container, and if I don't water it, it starts to get yellow and drop leaves, and then I watered again it perks back up. The only thing I can think of is somehow getting too wet. Maybe the soil, maybe the drain holes aren't working well, maybe I don't know, but something is wrong. I would take a little trial, dig down in the soil a little bit and feel it a few inches deep, see how wet it is, how soggy it is. And maybe you did that. Okay, yeah, I don't know. I'm not going to.
Speaker 22: I'm thinking maybe just old age.
Speaker 5: But I'm not going to send out to buy a funge aside drench because I'm not convinced it is a root rod or anything like that. You might want to try as we get into the growing season and the light is better. It doesn't spend summers in the bathtub, does it.
Speaker 22: It has for the last year and a half because I can't get it out.
Speaker 5: Oh it has, okay, okay.
Speaker 22: And I've got that plantation shutters the whole wall so they're open pace.
Speaker 5: Okay, good, Okay, Well, I don't know. I just watch the water moisture on it, make sure the light is intense enough to support good growth on it, and I think we're gonna have to leave it at that one. On this one, I'm sorry it's been giving you trusble.
Speaker 22: Is there any fertilizer or anything I should use.
Speaker 5: I would buy find something that says it's set. Find something for hibiscus. Nelson Plant Food makes one in a little jar that's for hibiscus, and I would recommend you do that. The banana is not going to provide all the nutrients that it needs. So all right, thank you very much for the call. Try to catch one more call here, Bill and sugar Land. Welcome to garden line. Bill. I think I got about a minute, but let's see.
Speaker 14: What we'll go fast. I have a Saint Augustine. I have a Saint Augustine line, I mean a lawn, and in October I did the folfertilization, spread herbicide and funge side. But I think I may have user area user errors of My line is Saint Augustine. But I have a section that dollar weed has just taken over. And that's all you see.
Speaker 8: I don't know how to give here.
Speaker 5: So here's the deal. Dollar weed number one. Culturally, it loves it when it's too wet. If it stays soggy wet, dollar weed proliferates. So if there's a way you can avoid that, it may mean turning off the irrigation. It may mean improving the drainage in the area. Anything like that will at least help. It won't get rid of dollar weed, but it won't make it proliferate. There's a product called Celsius that you can use and it is very effective against dollar weed. You may want to add a surffactant to it because dollar weed has a slick surface and you want the drops to really stick to those round leaves. So get you a quality surfactant. You're in sugar Land, Go to Bob in Gosh, I can't. I just want blanks. Yeah, he carries that, and he carries a surfactant. He can get you going on that. You got some of these hardware stores around you too that probably will have what I'm talking about. But Celsius, like the temperature, comes in a little packet. You make a dollar a gallon of spray with it, and that goes a long way, and you may have to repeat it. That's not don't be surprised if you need to repeat it next year. But get it on as soon as possible because things are going to be getting kind of dormant here on us pretty quick.
Speaker 14: I will do that Thank you so much and have a merry Christmas you too.
Speaker 5: Thanks for the call. Well that was a full show, busy right to the end. We'll be back next week folks. In the meantime, I hope you have a wonderful holiday season and enjoy the sun this week. Get out there in the garden and have fun.