Speaker 1: Okay, so today we're diving into the world of five G. Right, you sent over a ton of really great info, especially some interesting excerpts from five gnre the next generation wireless access technology. Yeah, it's pretty technical, but we're gonna break it all down, you will, so you can walk away feeling like you're fluid in five G.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so.
Speaker 1: Honestly, when I hear five G, I think faster downloads. But I'm sure it's got to be more than that.
Speaker 2: Oh it's way more than that. Okay, it's like comparing a bicycle to a spaceship. Five G actually has three major scenarios that it's built for.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: First up is enhanced Mobile Broadband or eMBB. Okay, you know this is your download speed, streaming quality, all that good stuff, just like cranked up to eleven. Okay, remember those like dreaded buffering wheels.
Speaker 1: Are the worst?
Speaker 2: Gone? Really, with five G you can download a whole movie in seconds, stream live events in crystal clear HD even in a packed stadium.
Speaker 1: That actually sounds an upgrade worth having, Yeah for sure. But what about all this Internet of Things talk? Where does five G fit into that?
Speaker 2: That's our second scenario. Okay, massive machine type communications or MMTC MMTC. We're talking connecting like a ridiculous number of devices.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Imagine your car is like chatting with traffic lights. What your fridge is ordering groceries? Wow, and your smart watch is having a heated debate with your thermostat about the ideal temperature.
Speaker 1: Okay, that sounds simultaneously amazing and also like my devices are about to start a robot uprising against me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't give them any ideas, right, But on a serious note, all of this connectivity is what makes smart cities, automated factories, all of that possible.
Speaker 1: That's wild. Okay, So you said there's a third scenario. Yeah, what's that one all about.
Speaker 2: That's where things get really wild.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Ultra reliable and low latency communications or you are LLC.
Speaker 1: You ARELLC.
Speaker 2: Imagine your instant communications so fast you wouldn't even notice a.
Speaker 1: Delay, Like faster than I can accidentally my five year old Instagram posts way faster.
Speaker 2: Think self driving cars reacting in real time to avoid accidents. Ok. Surgeons performing remote surgery from across the globe, or even robotic referees that made the right calls.
Speaker 1: Okay, you lost me at the robot refs.
Speaker 2: But I get what you're saying, You get the idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is already blowing my mind, and we haven't even gotten to the howe part? Right, So how does five G actually pull all of this off? What's going on behind the scenes to make all of this magic happen?
Speaker 2: It might seem like magic, but it all boils down to some pretty ingenious engineering. Okay. One key difference is that five G uses a wider range of frequencies than previous generations, including these things called millimeter waves or millim waves.
Speaker 1: Millimeter waves is that what they use in those really high tech microwaves?
Speaker 2: Not quite okay, but you're on the right track. Okay. These millimeter waves are super high frequency radio waves, and they're like the express lanes of the wireless Highway. They carry tons of data incredibly fast.
Speaker 1: So faster frequencies faster speeds makes sense. But there's got to be a catch, right, Don't Those higher frequencies have a harder time like traveling through walls and stuff. Yeah, I feel like my Wi Fi signal freaks out if I'm too far from the router.
Speaker 2: You're absolutely right, Okay. Higher frequencies are a bit like divas, they need special treatment. So instead of relying on those massive cell towers, five G uses more distributed network with many smaller cells, almost like having a network of mini towers strategically placed throughout a city.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a bunch of relay runners just passing the data along making sure it gets to its destination.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Very cool. Yet, on top of that, you said five G uses beamforming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, five G uses beamforming.
Speaker 1: What is that? So?
Speaker 2: Imagine instead of a light bulb radiating light everywhere, you have a spotlight that could focus its beam directly on you. That's essentially what beamforming does with data. It sense of focus being directly to your device, leading disaster speeds and less interference.
Speaker 1: That's really cool. Okay, so we've got these high frequencies, we've got these smaller cells, we've got these laser focused beams of data. Right, is there anything else five G has up its sleeve? What about this thing I read about it using unlicensed spectrum? Isn't that what Wi Fi uses?
Speaker 2: You're right, five G can actually operate an unlicensed spectrum just like Wi Fi, using something called license assisted access or LAA LAEDA. Yeah, it's like finding a secret passageway to add even more bandwidth to the network.
Speaker 1: So five G is like a bandwidth hog, just using every trick in the book to squeeze out as much speed and capacity as possible.
Speaker 2: Basically.
Speaker 1: But hold on, We've been talking about how much data five G can handle, right, But how does it actually send and receive all that information? Isn't there a whole different way uses frequencies compared to older networks.
Speaker 2: You're definitely on top of this, Okay. It's not just about the amount of data, it's also about how efficiently it's moved. Okay. So older networks mainly used frequency division duplex or FDD, which is like having separate lanes on a highway for sending and receiving data.
Speaker 1: Okay, makes sense, keeps things organized exactly.
Speaker 2: But five G is all about efficiency.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So it utilizes both FDD and something called time division duplex or TDD.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's so special about TDD.
Speaker 2: Imagine a single lane road with cars taking turns to go in each direction. Okay, that's kind of what TDD does. It allows devices to send and receive data on the same frequency, but at different times. Ah.
Speaker 1: So instead of having dedicated lanes, they're sharing the road, but in a super organized way.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: That's pretty clever, it is, okay, and it allows for a lot more flexibility, especially for applications where you're downloading way more data than you're uploading, like streaming a movie, scrolling through social media.
Speaker 1: Okay, I feel like my brain is at max capacity and we've only just scratched the surface.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you've got a.
Speaker 1: Massive Mimo network slice saying. It's like a whole new language we're speaking.
Speaker 2: There's a lot to unpack.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is. We're gonna take a quick pause, but don't go anywhere. We'll be right back to unravel the rest of the five G mystery. All right, and we're back. All right. So we left off with some pretty wild concepts. Yeah, massive Mimo network slicing. It's like the team behind five G rated a sci fi writer's notebook for inspiration.
Speaker 2: You're not wrong. So these advancements are what really unlocked the true potential of five G. Okay, let's start with that massive Mimo you mentioned. Okay, it sounds intimidating, but it's actually pretty cool once you break it down.
Speaker 1: Break it down for us, all right.
Speaker 2: So picture a typical cell tower with a handful of antennas. Okay, Now multiply that by say one hundred.
Speaker 1: One hundred.
Speaker 2: That's the basic idea behind massive MIMO okay, which stands for massive multiple input multiple output.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So instead of just a few antennas, you have dozens, even hundreds, wow, all working together.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a lot of antennas. What's the advantage of having so many?
Speaker 2: Think of it like this. Each antenna can create its own individual data stream, like having a dedicated lane for each device trying to connect to the network.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: This allows five G to handle a ridiculous amount of data traffic simultaneously, okay, all while boosting speeds and improving reliability.
Speaker 1: So it's like going from a two lane road to like a super highway with dozens of lanes all flowing smoothly.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Very cool. And it's not just about cramming more cars or in this case, data, onto the road, right. Massive MIMO also allows the network to target specific devices with pinpoint accuracy, thanks to a technique we talked about earlier, beamforming.
Speaker 1: Oh right, Remember that, it's like each antenna has its own little spotlight exactly sifticing data exactly where.
Speaker 2: It needs to go precisely.
Speaker 1: Okay, massive MIMO check. What about network slicing, Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, rather good one. Network slicing is a good one.
Speaker 1: What is that?
Speaker 2: It's basically the ability to create multiple virtual networks, okay, all running on top of that same physical five G infrastructure.
Speaker 1: So it's like having different lanes on that data super highway, each dedicated to a specific type of traffic precisely. Okay.
Speaker 2: You could have a dedicated slice optimized for super low latency, perfect for things like self driving cars or remote surgery. Another slice could be tailored for massive IoT deployments, prioritizing reliability and energy efficiency. Okay, And of course you would have your standard high speed Internet slice for all your streaming and downloading needs.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a Swiss Army knife of networks exactly, each tool perfectly designed for a specific task.
Speaker 2: I like that. Okay, that's a good analogy.
Speaker 1: But how does all of this get connected back to the core Internet. We've got all of these smaller cells, these millimeter waves. It seems like there's a lot that could go wrong.
Speaker 2: That's where another clever innovation comes in, integrated access in backhaul or Iabhay, yeah, okay. So traditionally, connecting those smaller cells back to the core network relied on fiber optic cables, which can be expensive and difficult to install everywhere, especially in densely populated areas.
Speaker 1: Right, Not every city has miles of underground tunnels just waiting for more cables, exactly.
Speaker 2: So with IAB, five G can actually use its own wireless signals for backhaul, connecting those smaller cells to the core network wirelessly. Really, it's like creating a network within a network.
Speaker 1: That's really efficient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: It's like five G is a master of multitasking, juggling all these different technologies and frequencies.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: But even with all of these advancements, we have to acknowledge there are still some challenges. Of course, it's not all sunshine and gigabit downlines.
Speaker 2: You're right. Every new technology comes with its own set of hurdles. Sure. One of the biggest challenges with five G is deployment, Okay, especially when it comes to those high frequency millimeter waves, right.
Speaker 1: Those DIVA frequencies you mentioned earlier.
Speaker 2: Exactly, they can carry tons of data, but they don't travel very far Yeah, and they have a harder time penetrating walls and other obstacles. This means we need a lot more of those smaller cells strategically placed to provide coverage, which can be expensive and complex to implement.
Speaker 1: It's a trade off incredible speed and capacity, but at the cost of a more complex and dense network.
Speaker 2: It is a bit of a trade off.
Speaker 1: What about security With all of these devices coming online? I feel like every time I turn around there's a new story about a data breach or a hack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a critical consideration. As we connect more and more devices to the Internet through five G, we're essentially expanding the attack surface for hackers. So securing these networks and ensuring the privacy of our data is paramount.
Speaker 1: It's like having a bigger house, you need a more robust security system to protect it exactly. So, how do we make five G as secure as possible?
Speaker 2: It requires a multi layered approach, from building robust security protocols into the five G standard itself to developing advanced encryption and authentication methods. It's an ongoing process of staying one step ahead of the bad.
Speaker 1: Guys, a never ending game of cat and mouse.
Speaker 2: Pretty much.
Speaker 1: Well, we've covered a lot of ground here, from the nitty gritty technical details to the broader impact of five G on our lives. But there's one more piece of the puzzle we haven't touched on yet. Okay, the interplay between four G and five G. Right, because we're not all just magically going to switch to five G overnight.
Speaker 2: Right, You're right. Five G is still in its early stages of rollout, ok and it needs to coexist and cooperate with existing four G networks. That transition period is crucial, Okay, and it involves some pretty clever engineering in itself.
Speaker 1: Okay, So how do we actually make that transition happen? Okay? So how do we actually make that transition happen?
Speaker 2: It's a bit like changing a tire while the car is still running. Oh god, it requires really careful coordination and some serious engineering ingenuity. But luckily, the brilliant minds behind the five G standard, the folks at three GPP, Okay, they figured out some pretty clever ways to make this transition as seamless as possible.
Speaker 1: So what's the secret, sauce? How do they get these two technologies to play nice and work together?
Speaker 2: One key approach is called non standalone deployment or NSA for short NSA. Yeah, it sounds complicated, but the idea is actually pretty straightforward. Okay to me with it all right, So imagine five G as this like high flying trapeze artists, okay, making its grand debut, But in the beginning it needs a safety net. That's where four G comes in. With NSA, five G networks can actually piggyback on existing four G infrastructure okay, for things like initial connection setup and mobility management.
Speaker 1: So my five G phone might be connected to a four G network for some tasks exactly, while still tapping into those blazing fast five G speeds when they're available.
Speaker 2: Precisely. It's like having a hybrid engine in a car. Okay, you get the best of both worlds. I like this approach allows for a faster and more cost effective rollout of five G Okay, because operators can leverage their existing four G networks well, gradually building out dedicated five G infrastructure as they go.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense. But what happens when I'm like on the move switching between four G and five G coverage areas?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Does the connection just drop out like it used to back in the dark ages of early cell phones.
Speaker 2: Not at all. That's where another clever trick comes in.
Speaker 1: Dual connectivity. Dual connectivity.
Speaker 2: What is that? With dual connectivity, your device can actually be connected to both a four G and a five G cell simultaneously.
Speaker 1: My phone can have two connections at the same time.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: Is it like a superhero phone or something.
Speaker 2: It's pretty close. As you move between coverage areas, yea, the network seamlessly hands over the connection from one cell to the other without you even noticing.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's impressive. That's like a relay race where they pass the baton without breaking stride exactly. So we've covered a ton of ground here, from the nitty gritty technical details to the it's a broader impact of five G on our lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we really have. But before we wrap things up, there's one more like really cool aspect of five G I wanted to touch on.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's up.
Speaker 2: It's potential for like super accurate location tracking.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Five G isn't just about communication, it's also about knowing where you are with remarkable precision. Okay, we're talking about pinpointing your location with an accuracy of centimeters, both indoors.
Speaker 2: And outdoors, a centimeters centimeters.
Speaker 1: That's like GPS on steroids. How is that even possible?
Speaker 2: It all comes down to the nature of those higher frequencies and the density of five G networks. Okay, with more cells and a wider range of frequencies, the network can triangulate your position with incredible accuracy.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me my phone could know exactly what I all am on in the grocery store exactly. That's both amazing and a little terrifying, a little bit of both. Well, I think that's about all the time we have for today, but wow, we covered a lot of ground we did. Five g's clearly so much more than just faster internet connection. It's really a fundamental shift in how we connect to the world and to each other.
Speaker 2: Couldn't have said it better myself.
Speaker 1: All right, everyone, thanks for joining us on this deep dive into the world of five G. Until next time, keep exploring, keep learning, and keep your eyes on the horizon, because who knows what incredible innovations are just around the corner.