Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick coffee.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get it started. It's not four o'clock. It's four o five. We're a little late, but that's that's all due to my poor clock management. But that's okay. What I try to tell myself whenever we do, in fact get the four o'clock in five o'clock hours started, you know, closer to five than actually right at the top, I just tell myself, well, hey, maybe people have like a three four minute walk to their car, you know, so maybe they're just hoping. Maybe it's all strategic.
Speaker 3: That's not a bad way to think about it. I mean, using KSR start at five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've got like network stuff. I think. Actually I don't know, because they're now their clock got a little bit different. It was like last year or something like it was when they moved I think whenever they moved over here to seven ninety from ten eighty. So and their breaks I think they may have more, but their breaks are not as long. What would you rather? I mean, if you are producing or hosting John, would you rather have shorter breaks? But an extra you know, shorter breaks but more of them, or longer breaks but lengthier segments.
Speaker 3: Longer breaks for sure, because when you have the short breaks, you don't have much time to.
Speaker 2: Do things in between. I'm just not I'm not built for that. I'm not good enough to be able to really get what I want out of a ten minute segment or something like that. Which it's really just because I've for the last nine years I've done a three hour show not completely by myself. And I hate when I say that sometimes because it's not just me. But you know, when it comes to just drive the show in regards to what's going to be discussed, it has mostly been myself along with with John and Matt and whatnot. But I just you, right out of the gate, I knew, hey, I got a first thing I got to figure out is how can how can I fill this time? Like how can I comfortably run a three hour program with you know, like how can I how can I format it? And then it's like, okay, well, now that I've got to feel for how I'm going to be able to at least get through the segments. Now I got to try to make them interesting, entertaining and all that, and I'm still a work in progress, I'm sure in the eyes of some. But yeah, like if I ever if I ever ended up on a station with a different format as far as how they do breaks and whatnot, and and you know, if they're really strict, like we don't have a heart out until we end the show, right, yes, and that that benefits me, right, but that isn't always the case for a lot of people. Like if I had a herd out, and for those who don't know what a heart out is, it just means that there's no there's there's no flexibility, You're you're you can you'll be talking. I mean, in fact, it does happen at times on KSR when they have guests on because like the heart out, I think it's what they say, is it stops for no man, Like you can just be yapping, doesn't matter. They're gonna go to break at that time. If you're mid sentence, if you're in the middle of yelling at somebody, if you're crying telling a sad story, like nope, sorry, the break is starting. Like that's just that's just how it works. So if I had that, I might be a little more disciplined as far as how I utilized the time. But you know, at this point, if I was going to to make a you know, a big, big improvement, I probably would have already done it.
Speaker 3: When did you get you know, were you did you fall victim to the heart out?
Speaker 2: No, because at that time, by the time we got there, I had already learned through Billy and the producer that like, you know, keep a little brief like you know, like because I'm just so used to, you know, not having to worry about that. I had somebody ask me this the day, like if I ever like wish I had a co host, and I never really think about it because really, since I've worked here at seven ninety, rather it be mornings, mid days, or afternoons like we are right now, I've never had a co host per se as far as somebody that is bringing content and topics to the table that you know, like they're prepping for. But it's not as if I'm the only person sharing opinions and talking about you know, the obvious. So I kind of feel like I've had, you know, enough help. But you know, if all of a sudden they just brought somebody in here and he or she got to decide half of what we're going to discuss and I got to decide the other half. In a way, it would probably make my life a little easier, and it probably would make, you know, probably be a good thing for the show, unless you know, it's somebody who isn't good. But you know, I'm a control freak, like I probably would think, like, wait a second, we're not talking about what you want to talk about. Who the hell do you think you are? I mean, I probably wouldn't do that, But you know, I don't know. I've never when people ask me that, it always hits me, like, you know, I've never really given that much thought, maybe because I'm so self absorbed, and I just you know, it's never been brought up or discussed by anybody that I work for that they want to do that. But you know, I don't know people who listen regularly, they probably just assume like this is a two man show, because you know, I'm yapping a lot more than anybody else. But obviously, you know, you hear from John quite a bit, and he's he's become content at times, and I don't know if that's what he signed up for. I'm not sure if he knew what he was getting himself into. But hey, when you work with me, it's kind of how it works.
Speaker 3: It's been fun so far. I hope there's many years to come.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you. And you know, the fact that you're comfortable is huge because there's some people that just aren't. Like I've worked with people who some of them still one of them still works here. Like you'll occasionally, you know, hear their name being referenced by somebody who's hosting on either seven ninety or has and it's a it's a fill in producer, but like they want to. They they let you know as soon as the show starts, do not go to me. I will not speak. I might nod my head, but if you start talking to me and you expect me to return, you know, the conversation on the air, it's not happening. And you know, at least I could appreciate the honesty. And there's only two people I know that have been like that. But anyways, it is Coffee and Company. My name is nic Coffee. The company man, mister John Alton, is alongside as we take you up until six o'clock. Big game for both of us this weekend. Obviously Louisville and Miami. That's I don't want to say this makes or breaks the season, but I kind of feel like if there was ever a time for Louisville to kind of get right, clean up some things and really take advantage of an opportunity, this is the opportunity to do that, and I'm hopeful that they will. But Indiana continues to become bigger and bigger favorites in this game against Nebraska, and I mean, from the way I look at it, I think it's more more. It has more to do with people realizing Indiana, despite the competition, has actually been a is a good team. I mean, they're not just beating up on FCS teams, they're beating other Big Ten teams and Nebraska. You know, again, maybe I'm wrong. You've clearly heard from Nebraska fans, I'm sure throughout the week on your show and whatnot, But like this, Nebraska realized Indiana like is like I mean, are they are?
Speaker 1: They?
Speaker 2: Are they fearful because they're touchdown underdogs right now?
Speaker 3: I mean Nebraska fans, the ones I've interacted with before, they're usually pretty confident in their team, even if they're not very good, and I think this is one of the better Nebraska teams that's been in the Big Ten the last several years. And I do think Indiana will probably have the toughest challenge they've had so far this year when they face them this weekend. But one thing that I like whenever I've been looking at the matchup for Indiana specifically, Nebraska hasn't scored more than twenty eight points against anybody that's not G five or FCS this year, and Indiana hasn't scored less than thirty one against anybody. And so that's one stat that I look forward to seeing how that plays out there.
Speaker 2: Yeac, and it is at home in Bloomington. It's a noon kickoff, just like the Louisville. Is this sort of like a I mean it's.
Speaker 3: A ratings battle? Is it not for the for the region?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean both. I mean it's it's ones on ABC, ones on Fox. So both of us are going to be getting a lot of a lot of eyeballs just because of the of the network that it's a.
Speaker 3: Big noon crew going to be in Bloomington this weekend, and.
Speaker 2: So is Barstool. They're bringing their show to Bloomington as well. So I'm not asking this to like make a you know, uh, this isn't like a backhanded compliment to Indiana, but like, will will there be a big crowd there?
Speaker 3: It's sold out? Okay, good, you know, and I will say Nebraska probably helps out with that a bit. I think regardless of the circumstances this time around, it would.
Speaker 2: Have so like that doesn't happen very often.
Speaker 3: No, Usually the only time Indiana gets sellouts it's usually when Ohio State comes to town because they take you know, a good number of the tickets in Michigan does the same thing, or if they're playing Purdue.
Speaker 2: Like this is still I mean it's not. This is very much new Indiana being like in this.
Speaker 3: Position, they've not been six and since the sixties.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask you as it sold out, but I thought, you, like there, I was thinking there's a chance that it's that it's not, And then you would be like are you making like what do you.
Speaker 3: You've actually already sold out a game later on the season, but.
Speaker 2: This will be the first sellout of the SIGNETI era, right, yeah, so yeah, I mean you've got to be on cloud nine, right.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 3: I'm excited, there's enjoy it. I don't know if it's I hate calling it cautious optimism, because I mean, they've already shown that they can do a lot of good stuff with what they've done so far. But I mean I want them to, you know, go all the way to eleven and one. I'm not going to say twelve zero because going on the road and beating Ohio State that's something that a lot of teams don't do, really good teams don't do it.
Speaker 2: Sure, you could play phenomenal and lose to Ohio State at home.
Speaker 3: But if you're eleven and one, you're going to be in that Big Ten championship. You're probably gonna play someone like Oregon or Ohio State again, and you're gonna be in the College Football playoffs.
Speaker 2: And for those who don't follow the Big Ten at all and just think this is me letting an Indiana fan just you know, gas up his team, I mean, I guess it is that. But anybody talking about the Big Ten is acknowledging that in India, with their schedule and how good they've been thus far, eleven and one is like, not is not a crazy scenario.
Speaker 3: I mean, most teams that Indiana plays on this back half of the schedule are of the same caliber in my opinion, because if you can I said this to Nick during the break, if you can beat Nebraska as handily as you've beaten the other teams you've already faced, I don't think there's anybody left other than Ohio State that you shouldn't be favored to beat.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I hate the FPI because I just think it's been proven to be you know, it's been proven to be flawed, but it is the one thing you can reference where you look at your schedule and you see a percentage chance you have of winning and seventy five percent chance to win on Saturday against Nebraska for Indiana, Washington which I can't figure them out, Like they're very weird. Yeah, they're four and three, two and two in Big Ten play. They lost their rival, their big rivalry game to Washington State, which I thought meant that they were going to be done, and then they beat Michigan, like they're they're a hard team to figure out.
Speaker 3: But you get spanked by Iowa last week, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Think got killed. You're right, forty something to ten, so seventy six percent chance to beat Washington if you're Indiana and in Michigan State, I don't even need to look at that. I will just because I'm already here at the ESPN site. But yeah, eighty percent chance of beating Michigan State because they're having a rough year. And then Michigan, who I mean, I don't know if they're a top twenty five team they're ranked that right now. But like, if you're Indiana, this looks as ideal for you to knock off the Wolverines as as it's been in you know along the way did in COVID, right, Yeah that was yeah, yeah, So seventy two percent chance of winning against Michigan according to the FPI, Ohio State. Let's see what this one is.
Speaker 3: I think they're Underdog's Valley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Ohio State. Is eighty three percent chance to win that one. And then of course Purdue Indiana is looking at a ninety five percent chance to win. So yes, I do, in fact mock the FPI quite a bit, but it is at least a reference point, and I'll bring it up to say that, like it's not just an Indiana fans not not understanding that you know your record is what it is because of who you play. They're blowing teams off the field that other teams that are viewed to be better than Indiana are not beating these teams as badly. So again, when I say, when you hear eleven and one, it still seems like you're on a different universe because we're talking Indiana football. And I know John doesn't take offense to that. It's just the truth. This is so not normal for Indiana. But again, like if you just go off what is expected to happen, what's most likely to happen, based off of analytics and numbers and really just using your eyeballs. This Indiana team going eleven and one, I'm not saying like it's for sure gonna happen, but if we end up getting there at the end of November, like you should not. You should not consider it as this thing that nobody saw coming once you got here. Now again, nobody saw coming maybe before the season started. But Signette's kind of having the year that bron was having last year? Is he not?
Speaker 3: Is He's taken advantage of a very favorable schedule, and part of that was because they removed louisvill Unfortunately, would have. Now that we've seen what happened, I would have loved to have seen how that would have played out. Hell yeah, I would assume it would have had the momentum whenever you played in I guess it would have been weak two. But I mean, who knows what could have happened in that game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it is, it is. There's no doubt like when it comes to storylines talking points within college football this season, as of now, Indiana being in this position has got to be one of the one of the They're in the mix for sure, just because it's it's not what you typically see from the Hoosiers. But you got a guy named kurtz Signetty who by all accounts has backed up everything he said up to this point, like I win Google me, and so far he's winning. And I don't see that stopping. You know, I'd say at this point, you're you know your best, your your most likely loss would be Michigan. I mean, I guess you could mess around and lose to anybody.
Speaker 3: Nebraska's going to be pointing the road game against Michigan State, even though Michigan State isn't really that good of a team. I could see that because they've not really played in a good road environment yet. You went to UCLA and that it's kind of a sleepy Rose Bowl, even though you know it is the Rose Bowl. And then you had Northwestern in the temporary stadium, and then your your first road game in a real, you know, homelike environment will be the Michigan State game. And even though they're not good, it'll be interesting to see how they respond in that scenario.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that could be like, you know, the letdown exactly, the letdown game. But again, like Signetti so far, I feel like he could. He's the kind of coach that, you know, may be able to avoid those kind of things. I've been so impressed with him because again he's you know, I think what makes him more fascinating to me is that he did leave a position. He left a great job on the Bama staff to go take over at a D two school to be a head coach. And you know, that's one of those things that if he's not successful, right, he took it. He he bet on himself, probably making less money there than he was making on the Alabama staff, but he bet on himself. Right, That's what coaches who want to do this and want to compete at the highest level as head coaches, they've got to do at some point. They've got they've got to. I mean, it's not only betting on yourself, like it's sacrificing to be honest with you, because again, financially, you're not making a whole lot of money. You don't have a lot of money to build your staff out either. But he knew, hey, I got to start somewhere to show people that I can be a really successful head coach. And he's done it at every stop, and he clearly has a lot of belief in himself. You can you can gather that by hearing him talk not only throughout the season but since he got there, but his actions have shown that he does have a whole lot of belief in what he's all about. His formulas. That's the word I use is that you know, these coaches, if they've won in different places, they're carrying that formula job to job. And you know, I think there's some people that just assume, well, hey, he's never been at the highest level. He's never been you know, in the Power four, power five, whatever, so there's just no way it can work. And you may be right, Like, there may be a scenario where a guy got to a point and what he did it just isn't compatible. It's not going to give you the same success rate when you're at the top, but you don't know until you try. And I can see why it's viewed as a as a for an athletic director to make this kind of a move to go get a guy who's kind of taken the steps and gone through the path that Signette's gone through. But it's also a risk to go hire a coordinator that you just feel like is going to be great because he worked for, you know, a really good head coach coach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ryan Walters kind of I hate to call him a bomb, But where did he where did he come from? He was Illinois decoordinator in Brett Bielima's first or second season something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I feel like there were other better names mentioned for that job whenever brom left. But yeah, I mean he was. I mean, he was only the DC there for two years at Illinois and he turned that into a head coaching job in the Big Ten. I mean that just seems like a real head scratcher. But yeah, you're right. Total opposite type of high as far as what you're going for. And I mean yeah, and Purdue also was able to go hire a coach who hadn't got a chance to be a big name at a power program yet. But what he did at Western worked, right, I mean, meaning Jeff brom Like you would think they would see, Okay, let's let's go do that again, let's go try to find that type of thing, and they chose to go really in a completely different direction. And you know, I think it's pretty known now, but when Jeff was at Western, you know he was, he was being pursued, not they didn't want him, but both South Carolina. I think it might have been not maybe it was when they hired I don't know, Maybe it was when they hired Beamer. Who was before Beamer? Was there somebody before? Oh is it must Champ? Maybe yeah, must Jeff might have been it whenever, you know he was. There were some schools that were kicking the tires on Jeff so to speak, and didn't and didn't pull the trigger, and then you know, Purdue did and it worked out. And I'm sure that's the same thing for Signette. I would be willing to bet and he would have gotten a job eventually before Indiana got to him, or if Indiana didn't pursue him, somebody else would have got him. But I'm sure there's others, and I don't know, maybe you know in your coverage, has he ever been involved in another search before the Indiana one, where I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 3: But I am a little worried, you know, depending on how the rest of the season plays out, how hot of a commodity he's going to be with, if there's any other big name jobs, and we are We've talked about Florida a bunch Billy Napier, and I know he's still the head coach there, But if they don't pull in Elaine Kiffin, I wouldn't be surprised if Signetti is optioned two or three for somebody like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, even if they end up losing a couple of games this year and they're I mean, look, they could go nine to three and that would be probably a letdown at this point because of how good they've gotten off to a start. But I mean it's it's his first season in Indiana, and Indiana, you know, is coming off of a lull there with the end of the Tom Allen era. And I mean, I don't want you to lose your coach, but I can see why if I'm an athletic director and I'm pretty confident I'm going to go hire.
Speaker 3: Something figuring out what the plan is for how to keep him or if he ends up leaving, because one of those two things, you're gonna have to lock him up, I feel like, or he's gonna be gone, You're gonna be doing to search all over again.
Speaker 2: Would it not, like, would it not be completely demoralizing if in fact he was there one year and left, like.
Speaker 3: Because it would feel like you had the magic in the hand, like lightning in a bottle, that type of thing, and then it's just gone. And you probably sit there if you're Indiana and you're wondering, is there a way to recreate this at all with anyone else? Yeah, I'd be so difficult, I'm sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean what a roller coach, I mean, like it's it's been Maybe roller coaster is not the right way to describe it, because I mean, Indiana fans are experiencing a lot of things during the football season that they probably never experienced before, as far as one just having this much momentum, having a coach that everybody thinks is like really really good, and you know, being in the mix to potentially go to the Big Ten championship game, like it's it's gotta be a lot of fun for you. Man. I didn't see it coming, but I'm sure it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have a lot of fun on the other side here when we bring in mister kent Spencer from w HS eleven, we'll get his thoughts on the local teams and one team we haven't talked about today, Kentucky. I want to get his thoughts on this Florida matchup for Kentucky because I kind of feel like Kentucky football fans have checked out once again after that loss to Andy and a loss here to Florida. It used to be just something that was routine. I mean, would you lose to Florida twenty something years in a row. Now you've actually gotten the best of them more often than not. But I think a loss here, I mean again, I just think the noise about Stoops from his own fans gets even louder if they slip up here. Don't go anywhere, keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety company, rolling along here on a Thursday afternoon, and we now bring him in. He is the one and only Kent Spencer from WHAS eleven, Kent. Before we get into what's going on here with the local teams, a big weekend of football for everybody, Louisville, Kentucky, Indiana. How about this news Tony Bennett retiring twenty days before the season starts, just fifty five years old. I mean, I think we're all guessing what the hell's going on? This wasn't expected, but just your initial thoughts.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, you know what in the world of like, hey, hey, I'm not really shocked, but I'm still kind of shocked. I think I'm kind of that, you know, at this point in time with kind of where we are in college athletics, but surprising that, I mean, you know, the season is is just around the corner.
Speaker 2: That's the biggest surprise here, right Like at the end of the day, if he walked away last year, you probably would have, you know, been been taken back a little bit. But then again, as you said, where we are with college athletics, it is more of something these guys probably consider than they did pre in al in the portal, but to do it now it's just I mean, it's not idea. I mean, I'm just I hope it's not this, but I'm thinking maybe help or something.
Speaker 4: Well, And that was what I was going to say, is like, I really hope that it's not health that it's something it's something else, because you know, at this point we're all kind of speculating on you know, what possibly it could be. I mean, you know, there's so many there's so many times with these guys where they're probably so burned out at the end of the season and they don't think they want to hang them up, and they're like, well, you know what, the fire will get lit again. The fire will get lit again. You know I maybe you know who knows. Like I said, I'm just throwing stuff out there, but maybe like the fire just didn't get lit. And I would imagine, like the way that Tony Bennett goes about his stuff, I would imagine with how things are in college athletics right now, he probably isn't a big fan of it. And so, yeah, I just hope it's not nothing health related. But yeah, it is a shocker because he's been so good at his job for such a long time.
Speaker 2: And he seems like somebody that to your point, if if he was just waiting for that fire to kind of come back and kind of reset the batteries a little bit during the off season, and he knows it's he knows now for sure as he's getting closer and closer to the season that it's just not there. You know, he probably knows it's not good for anybody if he's not all in. So you know, he's been a thorn in the side for Louisville and really a lot of teams. I mean, he's a very successful coach. He was winning the ACC in the regular season when all the legends were still in the league, and he was winning the league whenever Patino of Bejan when he was good obviously coach K and Roy. So obviously he's not done much since that national championship. But yeah, big news, and you know, a stunner when it comes to the timing, no doubt.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, And you know you had mentioned, you know the fact that he was one of the league and he was going in like not only were they winning the league, like he was going into everybody's house and witting. Oh yeah, I mean how many times did we watch him lead a team to victory inside the KFCM Center or beating Duke at Cameron Indoor at the Dean Do But you know, like he took his brand of basketball, which you know was was that defense and you know, run a clock down. But he had efficient, efficient guys at the game, and so he he took that brand of basketball and guess what, he won the whole thing. And he was in the conversation a lot more than than just that once. So tip of the cap to a career. But you know it's I'm really gonna be interested to hear you know why he chose this was the right time to call it a career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll see how it plays out over the next few years. But I would I wouldn't be shocked if we get to I don't know, twenty twenty seven, and these types of decisions are no longer really as surprise because you just realize, hey, it's kind of become somewhat of a trend to where the job is changed, right, I mean it you're still coaching basketball, but there's so much more to it to where if you've had a good run and you know that you've accomplished enough to fill full field, fill fulfield, it fulfilled as a coach, then you know you could probably walk away and say, you know what, it was great, but I'm going to hand the reins to somebody else because what it's become is just really not what I'm what I'm into. But yeah, that is the big news for those just now joining as Tony Bennett, Virginia head coach, has decided to retire immediately, so certainly a big, big piece of news in college hoops. Let's switch gears here to college football before we get to the Louis Miami matchup. Kentucky coming off a tough loss to and Andy. Vandy, of course a better team than they've been in a long time, but obviously that's not what Kentucky fans want to hear because it was a game where they probably still feel like they were better than Vandy. In fact, I think they are, but they didn't play like it, and a let down for Mark Stoops coming off of a bye. I kind of feel like this is a this is a game for them that could send this season in two different directions. A win here can remind you that you know what, despite these losses, we still have you know, as Kentucky, we still have a chance to finish strong. But I think a loss here, I just feel like the noise in regards to just about the disappointment from their fans.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 2: I mean, even Stoops that I give him credit, he wears his emotions on his sleeve. He's been pretty upfront since they're lost to Andy that he's trying to figure out what the heck's going on with this guys. I feel like, in a weird way, this is a big, big game for Kentucky on Saturday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, It's almost like they're on a bike and they're kind of on a cliff and they're riding the bike along the cliff and you know, do you keep it on the road or do you go off the side. That's what it feels like this week is. And to be honest with you, like with Kentucky, like if you look at that Vanderbilt game, what is it, twelve penalties one hundred and five yards there? It is right there? Yeah, Like, I mean, it doesn't it doesn't get They're not built you know, offensively, they're not built to sustain, you know, like to go back to first and twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't get on the one yard line and walk away with no points and think it's not going to come back to get you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, twelve, you know, twelve penalties one hundred and five yards. I mean that's it. And then you know, like, look their offenses is it has shown, it has shown flashes at times. But bush Hampton said this the other day. He said, they've had five runs of over twenty yards twenty yards are moor and he was like, that's that's just not enough. He goes, He said that teams are just playing them where they're not allowing their guys to get over top. So teams are playing them to have those twelve thirteen fourteen play drives. Well, if that's the case, then you're asking an awful lot of your offense to really execute, to be able to go all the way down the field, and you need to pop some explosive plays. And that's something that has missed in their offense. But also for like me, and we're gonna do a little compare and contrast here, right, Like Brock Vandergriff has the arm strength, but does he have he can hit that third or that fifth step and a drop and get the ball out and get it out on time and go hit the open guy consistently. You know, I don't know if that's I don't know if that's in his bag right now. And to be honest with you, with the sec if you can't do that, you're in trouble. Case in point on the other side with Louisville and Tyler Shuck. You know that guy more times than not, he knows where he's gonna with the football and he's getting it to the open guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I think with with with Vandergriff he may be and I think you you'd mentioned this in one of our earlier conversations this season about him. He may have the the you know, the talent and I haven't seen anything to say this guy he's terrible, but he's he's getting his first year of experience as a starting quarterback now. And I think when you get a guy from Georgia and he's playing behind some really good guys, which makes sense as to why he's transferring, you know, like he's he's a guy that's that's kind of learning on the fly a little bit here.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, And you know the thing about it is, especially you know in the SEC and some of the teams they they've gone up against, right, Like, these guys are moving a million miles an hour and you have to process that. And you have a window that's opened one second, it's closed the next, you know what I mean. And so so many times, you know, guys can throw the ball, but can they process the decision that they need to make and get the ball out on time? You know that that's ultimately that separates you know, quarterbacks in my mind, I mean, he's made throws on the opposite side of the hash twenty yards down the field on an outcut, on a rope. I mean, there ain't a whole lot of dudes out there that have that kind of talent. So he's got like tremendous arm talent. But it's the other stuff that does he have, and you know, is he gonna be able to develop it? I mean, to be quite honest with you, halfway halfway through with the season, times running out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great opportunity for me to segue because I feel like time's running out for Louisville to show that their identity can be one that is not a team that makes a lot of avoidable mistakes. Clearly they won on Saturday against Virginia. It was needed in a major way really just to avoid a three game losing streak and get these guys back to that feeling of winning, because they needed in a major way considering how those games played out with those back to back losses. But they're I mean, is it fair to say they're gonna have to play in a way that they've not played all year on Saturday against Miami if they want to win. I mean, you never know what's going to happen. Maybe Miami lays a complete egg. Who knows. But I just feel like Miami's the kind of team when it comes to their talent and what they can do that if you do make you know, the same type of mistakes you've made all year, just avoidable mistakes when it comes to penalties, just bad communication. Like I feel like Miami's a team that will be able to really take advantage of that more than anybody that you've played up to this point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, to be quite honest with you, I think this game kind of comes down to Louisville's pass rush and what they do against cam Ward, And it's not so much about you know if they have seen we have seen them, especially last year, go up against good teams with good quarterbacks, and that defensive front has really rattled that quarterback. That really hasn't happened so far this year. And I think I kind of I've been thinking about this, to be quite honest with you. Destel was out for a few games with an injury. But you know, uh, you know Mason Mason Reager not being for sure. Yeah, on the other side of Ashton Jelatti, I think it's been it's been really really tough because you know, he is a dude, and when you have two dudes out there, it's really hard to block one. And so you know, the teams have teams have kind of been able to keep Jalati at bay, even though he got a sack last week, which was you know, good to to to see him, you know, get home in the backfield. But you know, this game comes down to for me, it comes down to that, like I do think, but like both teams are going to make mistakes, But can you get a heisman a guy that's in the conversation for the Heisman Trophy? Can you get him rattled in your house and force him to make mistakes because you know, the Cards have been able to capitalize when teams make mistakes this year, and so if if if they can do that, then they give themselves now, you know, if they can't get pressure on him, but he's able to kind of do his thing. It's really really tough because this Miami tea is pretty talented.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what's got me just to you know, I've made it quite clear anytime I talk about U of L, I think I could be objective, but I'm a fan. I'm hoping that they went on Saturday, but there's been the quarterbacks have essentially been feasting in a way against Louisville. Maybe not necessarily when it comes to just putting up crazy numbers, but you know, especially early in the game, just being able to kind of take their time and honestly take off and run and make plays. And it's been three four straight games, and I just know Kim Ward's the kind of guy that can do that better than anybody you've played at the quarterback position up to this point. So, yeah, making him uncomfortable, maybe showing him something, throwing something at him that he hasn't seen before, that could go a long way, But of course easier easier said than done. Are you a believer in this Miami team as far as being maybe not, you know the u of old we're talking decades ago. But I think kim Ward has been a guy that's just giving them some different swagger to where I find myself believing they could, in fact, you know, make a deep run here for the first time in a long long time because of what he brings to the table.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that he's he is by far the best quarterback that they've had in a while at Miami. Like he's you know, he's a dude. Whether I'm a believer in Miami or not, Like, ask me after Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll I'm sure a lot of people are probably looking at it that way, to be honest, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think we'll learn a lot after Saturday. Look in the last what is it, handful of years, at times, you know, we've seen Miami get out the fast starts and maybe a good early performance, but can they sustain it throughout the course of a season. So, to be honest with you, like, you know, ask me after Saturday. But the funny thing about it is, in all of this, right, like Louisville sits here right now at four and two, but they've only got one loss to the ACC, you know what I mean? Like, sure, you know people, you know it may not be perfect and sometimes but guess what, you know last year wasn't perfect. You know. I think sometimes we think about some of these games as they wanted the fourth quarter last year, and if you really think about it, like a lot of those games they were they were fortunate to get by. But when you get by, you don't think. You don't really ever ever go back and be like, we were lucky to escape that one.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it. And what I keep going back to is against Georgia Tech. You know, that was before they they taken a loss yet, and they did end up winning that game in covering, but they had some plays go their way that you just don't expect to happen. They took advantage of an opponent making mistakes. But you know, you're not you're not thinking about bad calls in that game like you are against Notre Dame and as some you potentially just because you know you were able to survive and hold on, you're right, you do kind of forget that had had this play or that play not gone your way. In a lot of games, you could have easily left with a loss instead of a win. And now they're now they're dealing with it, just you know, on the other side with losses. So last question I got for you, and it's not something I typically ask you about, but I feel like I have to now. I know you guys do cover of all the Kentuckyana teams. Indiana's undefeated. They got Nebraska this weekend. I mean, Kurt Signetti, this guy, he's becoming one of the more talked about coaches in college football this season. I think it's for good reason. What do you make of this hot start for the former JMU coach?
Speaker 4: Look, I mean, I think it's it's been fantastic. I mean, he's completely changed the way that they that they play. He's completely changed the culture. I mean the fact that you know they're already bow eligible, they're undefeated, hosted Nebraska, who's you know, kind of tried to resurrect their program with with Matt Ruhle, and you know, he doesn't. You know, Kurt Signetti doesn't look like a guy that's gonna have a ton of confidence, but Mandy does. And I think you can kind of tell that that his players believe it. Even in fact, I think it was this week he just said, look, you know, the guys that we brought in, and a lot of them were from JMU, were guys that believed. The guys that stuck it out that were already at Indiana. You know, maybe there weren't many, but there's those were the guys that believed. And this is this is the kind of results like I love to see turnarounds like this. I think it's I think it's really really cool. And they've got an offense that is super fun to watch. It explosive, you know it. I'm really curious to see what that what that game with Nebraska looks like?
Speaker 2: Same here. Should should be a great weekend of football. Can has always appreciated making appreciate you making time for us, and we will see you soon.
Speaker 4: All right, see you about it.
Speaker 2: Take care. That is Ken Spencer w h A S eleven quick time out will come back for a short segment and uh, you know see if there's I mean I was looking a little there. I saw a few tweets from those that cover college shoops. This Tony Bennett news it seems like everybody, even those who know Tony, you know, to an extent that cover him, are stunned by this. So maybe something maybe maybe we learned something before we get out of here. But foick break, don't go anywhere. Keep it locked on Sports Talk seven ninety as you likely know, a very short segment here. But if you are just now joining us, breaking news in college basketball as Tony Bennett has decided to retire immediately twenty days before the season gets started. And it could be I mean, it could be anything that led to this, but when it comes to the you know, the timing, I mean it it makes sense for people to maybe not assume, but potentially, you know, speculate that something could have happened. And what that is, who knows. Maybe it's health related, maybe it's I mean, maybe it's controversial, or you know, as we just discussed with Ken Spencer, maybe he just realizes as he's getting closer and closer that he's not really in it anymore and he doesn't want to, you know, hurt his team. I mean, it's hard to imagine that, like he feels like leaving him to somebody twenty days before the season starts would be what's best for them. But he was at acc tip off last week, and I mean, I'm just I'm just trying to to you know, catch as much as I can here while hosting the show as far as what's being said out there about Tony Bennett. And you know there it was Jeff Borzello, who of ESPN. He was there and said that, you know, he had just he had just talked to him and interviewed him meaning Bennett, and did a piece on how he could be potentially the next Jay Wright. And during the interview in the conversation, as Borzello is getting quotes obviously for this story, he got no indication that this was at any point in you know, a thought or possibility. Same thing from somebody who covers Virginia who says, I just had Tony Bennet on my show last week. Didn't get any indication from anybody that he was even close to considering maybe walking away. So those are things that do make you wonder, Okay, did something happen. But he's gonna have a press conference tomorrow at eleven am, So I would imagine if it is him announcing he's retiring, it could just be that he's he's done for whatever reason he wants to be done. I would imagine if if this day and age, if there was something that went on, meaning like some kind of a controversy, some kind of a scandal in twenty twenty four, it ain't gonna stay quite long.
Speaker 3: It also probably wouldn't be known as a retiring it'd be more of a he's being let go type of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unless they're wanting to keep it under wraps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's I mean, I would assume you would want to keep it under wraps unless you just know that there's no possibility of that happening. So we shall see, but no doubt, you know, big news in college hoops. All right, If you've not gotten involved with underdog Fantasy yet, what the hell are you doing? I mean, maybe it's because you weren't aware. Well, let me make you aware of underdog Fantasy. Over a million fans across thirty three states got in the game last year. Competing on Underdog Fantasy, you could went up to one thousand times your money just by choosing higher or lower on your favorite player stats. We're talking touchdowns, passing yards, receptions, all those kind of things. You just pick high or lower. You put those picks together for a chance to make some big time money. Making picks is easy, straightforward, but signing up is even easier. Just head to Underdogs Simple to use mobile app or Underdog Fantasy dot Com. You sign up with the promo code Nick seven ninety D going to give you a free pick to use on your first cash Champion entry, plus up to one thousand dollars in bonus cash from you deposit at sunder Dog Fantasy promo code Nick seven ninety to claim your new customer special of a free pick, and your deposit offer must be eighteen enough in president of the state where under Fantasy operates. Terms supply concerned with your play called one und gambler vis at NCB Gambling dot Org. All right, that'll do it for the four o'clock out. We got another hour coming your way, and I'm talking really really fast right now, because that is totally nailed by disclaimer. That's probably as best as as good as topical hourage. Next right here on four Stox seven ninety