Speaker 1: It'll be good to talk to her. You know again, I'm seeing again. I see her all there, she is, I hello, I see her all the time. And that Poeta app and that Poeta app activating, and I can't hit her out there in California. It's frustrating, frustrating, you can't work.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Ham Radio Clubhouse Podcast, a weekly show that's live on YouTube every Tuesday night at seven o'clock Central Time. We look forward to you joining us live, but until then, enjoy this week's episode. Thanks for joining us here in the Clubhouse.
Speaker 3: Tell them you don't know nobody want to hear that is though.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Thanks, I'm blind, right, I'm so blind right now I have thought so hit hit the buttons. We're already loud, brother, just light, already hit the button.
Speaker 3: I thought she was practicing. What up, everybody? Hello to the channel members in Green, you'll get the first shout out tonight.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you all in Green. I see miss Murder day six in there. Yes, yes, the ones.
Speaker 1: In Green, the ones that helped pay pay for the train wreck. Oh my god, I'm seeing blue dots all over the place. What did you do? As though?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: These lights I use every care. So I looked into the light. Well, it flipped around in my hands. So there's three settings. Hang on, there's street settings, and then you get and then you get this one here. Why why why do you need a we wold? This is not going on anyone's dashboard.
Speaker 3: Just when you thought you were turning it off.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, because I clicked I forgot. I totally forgot. You got to click it four times not three. Yes, that's good.
Speaker 3: If you own the on the roadside having an emergence, say with like changing the tire or something.
Speaker 1: You in South Carolina, that'll get you in trouble.
Speaker 3: On boot sitting on side of the road down. Yeah, let me tell you to vehicle.
Speaker 1: You cannot run red or blue if they are forward facing or.
Speaker 3: Oscillating patched to the vehicle. So what you got now, it's sitting on the ground.
Speaker 1: Guess what you're gonna Oh, if you put it on the ground, you might be Okay, you're gonna you're gonna attract alligators, kangaroos and misfits. So it's okay, No, that is not half brass, copper and lead. That will take the misfits here. Okay, So the three of us on stream. Hell, oh god, so I am serious. I am seeing everything is a pokon that does is? Oh how was your week? I played the two or three potus. I'm working on a kilo from one of the parks near me. That and it's a noisy park and it's very frustrating, and of course when band conditions are not great, it's even more frustrating. So you got to just make you know, you're fifteen or twenty, and just be satisfied with it and upload and go home. Yeah, or you know, upload, you know, go home and then upload. That's that's a sequence I upload from the park. I haven't figured. I uploaded to Google Drive, so it's saved as a as an emergency backup.
Speaker 3: You haven't watched video about having well.
Speaker 1: Yes, I did watch Yours and the Three Dots. Something about the three dots, right, yeah? No, no, no, I remembered it. I think I remembered it. No, no, I haven't tried it. No, no, okay, No, I did watch it, and I think I even posted a comment, didn't I probably, And you probably responded because you're yeah, but I haven't tried it, So what else? Tried? The six meters on Sunday. I didn't make any contacts, no, no, but I could hear stage. I could hear when I was playing with the squelchch on the seven h five, I could hear stuff in the background. It was on Sunday. What else? Oh, I had to work at midnight shift on Sunday too. That was that kind of threw everything in a like you know, what are you gonna do? I like go home on Saturday and take a nap on Saturday night, and but what else? What else? Did? I do a lot of ham radio though it's been fun. Even yesterday, I got out of work and I went into one of my favorite parks just because, just because, because band conditions looked really good too. I don't know what's going to happen tomorrow or Thursday when I'm off, but it is what it is, what it is, so all right, my eyes are adjusting. Now. That's a good, good, good good. I was just gonna say, Shane looks funny down there. But it's not Shane. It's Joe Brad.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get that. I'm gonna get what that was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how you'll just keep on going, keep talk right thee.
Speaker 1: See we got a lot of questions, Okay, rolling thunder rolling to remember, rolling to remember, I'm sorry, I keep it. It's no longer rolling thunder rolling to remember. And I had that written down last week too, but there's a lot there's a lawsuit on that this year, sorry, remember, as well as what did you do with camera stuff? And all this other technical technical So I had the three sixty cam out of the bike. I'm going through the videos now, look hotly, so that I had to lead most of the weekend, so that was always fun. But I saw how high was that? So it was attached to the we call that thing the front bar. No it was, yeah, just on my handlebars and up, bring that back up again, bring that back up again. All right, let's say let's analyze that. I analyze.
Speaker 4: I paused it right as I was putting my chin bar down. Yeah no, no, that's fine, that's why. So how high up is it?
Speaker 1: It's actually mounted right here, and I want to say it was about here, just over my head. Yeah, just up enough that I thought i'd get the bikes behind me. But and did it? Did it work? Did you like your configuration? Yeah?
Speaker 4: It worked until I hit about sixty mile an hour, and then what happened. It started to blow back towards me a little bit, so I, uh, I reached up and slid it down.
Speaker 3: And down.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I got yelled at for it by my mother who was on that bike right there.
Speaker 3: And what she say to you, don't slide the camera down. I can't see me nasty.
Speaker 1: No, Actually I was making her nervous because I was my camera while I was riding. You're making me nervous. You're making me making me nervous, So you're making me nervous. So okay, so you're showing us about one hundred and what a little bit more than one hundred and eighty degrees right now? Are you show? Yeah? Yeah, I'm looking. Well, that's that's straight back right there. That's all right now. Now we'll take it and dry. Oh look at dis now, so you can pick and choose during your editing process what you want to show. Well, and now I don't. You'll have to give me a editory.
Speaker 3: Back on the middle middle house will all the way back and then point it down towards.
Speaker 1: Your Okay, look at that.
Speaker 3: That's play. Okay, it's so fun. Oh you're going to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh, well here I'll back it up there you go. Yeah, cool, that is so. And this was the ride over to the National Cathedral, which I'll actually upload this video in full three sixty mode, so you can do what you want. But I'll have to stitch it with the second video you see there because it was a longer ride over.
Speaker 3: Mm you figure that out.
Speaker 1: Let me know, stitching the two together.
Speaker 3: Stitching the two together and keeping them three sixty functions. Okay, I'm not saying it can't be done. I've put no effort into it. Yeah, but I need to figure it out.
Speaker 1: You guys watch me. You mean running two cameras at the same time. Okay, I've got I've got the two videos here that you see on the left. Yet I recorded it as one continuous video, okay, but it times out after twenty nine minutes and then starts the second entry. I want to upload both of them as one video to my YouTube. Okay, I'm gonna I'm gonna date myself. Back in the seventies, we would tell you when you would listen to like Pink Floyd or many other led Zeppelin to so many others. Rate certain music, certain music, certain instruments would come out as well as audio would come out on one channel and then on the other, can you do something? Can you split your screen and maybe show us something?
Speaker 4: I don't know how you would be able to then, you know, spin the camera around and look all around DC as I'm riding, or zoom and zoom out.
Speaker 3: Well, if you put it, if you put it in another editor, you're gonna yeah, you're gonna lose. It's all one, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay. My next question would be would it be fun if you were able to give the audience the opportunity if you went live with that and they can move the camera of view. Is that a possibility. That is a possibility, That is an option. Oh, look at that.
Speaker 4: I need to play with internet speeds and make sure I've got a good SD card, But I might do that next year.
Speaker 1: For the ride, because my concern would be Carlos, is he gonna point that camera at something that he should not be pointing, that should not be seen. That would be my only worry. And I love Carlows. I was gonna say, we're twelve minutes in, but I'm gonna show you what he pointed at me doing this.
Speaker 4: It's about half the cars in DC because they don't look out for you. Oh ship, Carlos is in the chat. Yeah, yes, yeah, I called you out.
Speaker 1: You but so no, we we had a good time.
Speaker 4: It was an emotional weekend, stressful weekend because it was like herding feral cats. Four wheel redneck. Nos, he's been there with me. You see me chasing people around, yelling and yes, Carlos, I am still under the weather. But I had to be there for my blue Star mothers. You know, come hell or high water. So if I'm strong enough to ride, I will be there. But did not did not get to play radio on Friday because I had no voice when I got there, right, so I was going to try.
Speaker 1: To sneak out.
Speaker 4: Yes, Carlos, your favorite blue Star mother was there, your little spoon and her road name is Big Spoon. So she actually rode with Dad on Sunday. Dad has been her escort for four years now.
Speaker 1: Oh how was it getting up there? Any traffic? Any issues traveling?
Speaker 4: No travel up there was fairly light, a little bit of road construction in North Carolina, which was to be expected. But the bike was on the trailer, so I had my truck there, which actually saved a buddy of mine because he on his way up he had an issue with the dipstick on his Harley, so he had to come back here to Charleston swap out to the stock dipstick, so that cost him two hours.
Speaker 1: And then when he got to Quantico, he decided to run over a bolt and let me actually share these pictures. Uh you got pictures to look at this? Oh yeah, let me find where he texted me. There we go, Carlos, what are you trying to say about Harley? He's not wrong, he's because he was. He's insinuating. Yeah, and listen, I'm not a right, I have no idea. I have no idea what what what brand is better? Or you know, maybe in the day, this brand was better for this h stands for one hundred dollars? All right, well, I that's that's why I kind of just just keep my mouth shut and just go, oh that looks nice.
Speaker 4: And we we give him crap about it all the time, and it's all in fun. But all right, so we're gonna stop that screen share. Let's grab So here's the bolt that he ran over.
Speaker 1: Okay, that doesn't look too bad, right, I don't know, uh, I don't Well, it's round. It's still in there, yep. Central But then oh me just share the whole freaking I mean, it all depends how the how the rubber took it. I mean on the tire, well, the rubber it went straight through. Okay, this is his rim and you see right there, Yeah, you see that crack. It tore, it shredded it was it came through. Oh yeah, you know it is zoom in. I'm working on a small screen too, and Steve in case people are listening to this on the podcast three weeks from now. That's a big asshole, right that. Well, it's actually not that big of a hole.
Speaker 4: It's about a quarter inch long crack through a magnesium rim.
Speaker 1: Magnesium. But it took the eight inch bolt though. Oh yeah, here's it took boat took. Is someone going to be recording me on that one, y'all? I want to know because I want to start, you know, y'all almost start. I want residual royalties on this stuff, that's all.
Speaker 4: And here's the inside of the rim. Oh damn, look at that. You see where it was beaten against it? Hell yeah, Harley of Quantico.
Speaker 3: Boat and it was beaten against it.
Speaker 1: Just it just keep beating it and beating it and beating it.
Speaker 4: But shout out to Harley of Quantico. They did him a solid. They happened to have a very.
Speaker 1: Similar rim and new tire that he was able to purchase. And then, yeah, I thought I was just going to take the.
Speaker 3: Labor to story till yeah, there's receipts.
Speaker 4: Well, there's receipts for some of it. Credit card, please, they have a Harley credit card for a reason. Oh my god, So damn that thing hit it hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I tossed, Actually, Carlos's favorite Blue Star mother my the keys to my truck. M and she and another mom ran down to Quantico to pick my buddy up because it was going to be a day to get his bike back.
Speaker 4: And they decided to go through the express lane. And I thought Orlando was bad on tolls. I got the bill this morning for eighteen dollars easy pass.
Speaker 1: Was that one of those easy passing? Yeah? I love my easy pass. I've got the easy pass tied to the all the license plates. So and I like how they're expand Dave expand, like mine's from New Hampshire. But when I looked at the map, a couple of weeks ago. It does pretty much all of the Atlantic States, and I think they're working on Florida. It does Florida as well. Oh it does now yep, yeah.
Speaker 4: Because I've got the sun Pass and it transitions back to easy Pass. Okay, but yeah, it was eighteen dollars for them to go about nine miles. Wow, you know somebody, I'm like, whatever, listen, listen, that's somebody that one.
Speaker 1: But somebody has to pay a guy to pick up the bolts on the highway. Okay, this is this is what's all about. But no, kudo kudos to Harley Davison for hooking them up. Yep, absolutely kudos Davison. That rim New was probably one thy twelve hundred dollars and he didn't pay near that. So well, you know, what do you think you're going to pay anywhere from three to five hundred on a vehicle? Oh, the tire alone is probably two fifty three hundred bucks. Right. My tires on all my trucks are usually around five hundred bucks. I mean, come on, folks, this is this is again. This is not I'm not gonna sound like the old man, so you all can yell at me. But it is what it is nowadays now. Oh so, but yeah, he yah, he ended up driving my truck Saturday over at Arlington. I do not have video from that, but I do have some videos. I'll steal from some of the moms and put together another video for them of all of our pictures and stuff. When was the actual what did it start on Saturday or Sunday?
Speaker 4: So we actually start Friday night, okay, with a ride over to the Blessing of the Bikes at the National Cathedral, and then we do a candlelight visual down at the Vietnam Wall, then back to the hotel, and then Saturday we do a thing for the gold Star Mothers over at Arlington, and then Sunday is the official rolling to remember ride.
Speaker 1: All right, the Blessing of the Bikes. Are we talking like a Christian priest comes out with the oh yeah, the Christian garb, the holy water, burns a palm and flying the flying the Holy water over here in this and that because I got to lead the ride over there, h and let's jump man. That camera that camera is great. I like that because of my timing.
Speaker 4: So this is us rolling into the cathedral and you'll see here in just a second.
Speaker 1: There's a cathedral. That cathedral is gorgeous and I don't care what religion you are. That is a site to be seen. That's history. Man, look at that whole. And we take and we pull in.
Speaker 4: Of course, everybody else is already park and set up, and I bring the group in and we just park right in the front row.
Speaker 1: So it's sort of like being at those are all the sinners with the confessional. You get to go first and confession your sins. I like that. So that looks very very nice. I like that.
Speaker 4: There's your clergy. And then back here this group that's all in matching shirts. That's actually a high school choir out of Georgia and one of the one of the Amvett writers. It's the school near him, and they helped fundraise to bring the choir and the band up excellent and they sing and play for us here and Saturday, and they actually got to play the national anthem and God Bless the USA at Rolling to Remember on Sunday.
Speaker 1: They did an amazing job. Excellent. But yeah, you can see this. This is just a small number of bikes. Look at that. See your bikes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's small mm hmm. Years past the Pentagon Parking lot. If you look at pictures of the north lot, you can't see the asphalt.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. That many bikes pretty crazy. It was smaller this year for some reason.
Speaker 4: But we're trying to get it back to what it was mm hmm, back when Rolling Thunder had it.
Speaker 1: So it'll be. It'll get there, just take time. So let me guess I'm gonna throw some what I think are motorcycle names. Obviously Harley, Davison, Kawasaki, m Indian Yep. I think I'm missing somebody, Honda, Honda, yep. There's what four? Is there? Four or five prominent big name bikes? Am I missing? Who am I missing? Yeah? That I was taking of the Germans Yep and Carlos got it. Yamaha, Yamaha. Okay, I ride a Yamaha, Maha and Yep Triumphs. There's okay, there you go. Okay, can Am? I see Canam? And thanks guys. I appreciate any particular common We're talking one thousand cc, we're talking seven fifties. What do we is? Is there any any common? Well?
Speaker 4: The so this front row right here is a bunch of Harley's and i'd be willing to bet most of those are one hundred and eight cubicinch are larger. Mm hmmm, I'd have to do math to convert that over to CC's.
Speaker 1: I've heard of that before. All I've heard of it.
Speaker 4: My my mode is eighty eighty two cubic inch, which is right at thirteen hundred ccs.
Speaker 3: They got to be out there somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: There actually is a V eight motorcycle out there called a big dog.
Speaker 1: US a Chevy three point fifty. No. It will pass anything but a gas station, oh man. And they are absolute to handle. What about the the side cars yep, a lot of the side car and the try.
Speaker 4: We had actually in the road that went with us with the VIP escorts. We had two side cars. Both the sidecars had dogs in them.
Speaker 1: Nice. One of them is JR. He's a service dog.
Speaker 4: He's just an absolute behemoth of a dog and super sweet if he's out of the bike. If he's in the bike, he will take your arm off if you come near it.
Speaker 1: Mhm. Is everybody pretty respectful? Hey, that's your bike? You do you? And I don't care? Yep. Course, because the last couple of weeks from months I'm seeing a lot of I don't want to say anger, but as Ham radio operators there getting everyone's getting a little wonky lately. Yeah, Nope, when we're when everybody's at DC, we're all there for the same reason. We don't care what you ride, just the fact that you ride.
Speaker 4: And I'm kind of speaking for everybody and might be speaking out of my backside there, but you don't see the Yeah, this is my territory kind of thing, right. I will drop two names that were there that you may recognize. Robert Patrick mm hmmm or the terminator h the terminator okay? And Jesse James Dupree.
Speaker 1: Why do I know that name from?
Speaker 4: He owned that bar in Sturgis, that full Throttle saloon. He was one of the owners there or played there every year. But they both rode their motorcycles in from California.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then Robert Patrick was actually one of the MC's for the National Concert on PBS Sunday Night.
Speaker 1: What can you get for gas miles or miles on a tank? Like, like, is it like your average tank tank gallons? Fifteen gallons of gas? I mean, what are you six? Six?
Speaker 4: My tank is six gallons? And if I can keep it below sixty mile an hour. I can go two hundred miles on a tank. Okay, Now I will.
Speaker 1: Tell you want to get off the bike before two hundred miles because you're hurting being in that. Your backside hurts, the wind kicks your absolute tail, blowing your head around. Yeah, it's it's a lot of work to ride a motorcyclist speed, which is why I started towing up that and having a vehicle there. Like, if if there's four or five people that want to go to dinner, pile on the truck. Let's go.
Speaker 3: Mike says, I bet it does better than Blowers than us.
Speaker 1: Probably he's up to that. He lives up by that Canadian border. Dude, Yeah, don gets two hundred and sixty miles of his TESTLEA. It has air conditioning.
Speaker 3: Every time you air conditioning, that's right.
Speaker 1: That's right. Hey, as long as I'm moving, I got air conditioning. It may be hot air, but it's still air conditioning. Is there truly a bug issue? Because I know how my truck gets with the wind chills the front end. Oh you know yeah, because literally every three to four days I am powerwa washing my front I have to.
Speaker 4: I will say at seventy mile an hour, June bugs hurt. Oh you can feel him, Oh yeah, even through the jeans.
Speaker 1: Wow. See the things you'll learn here. It's like a rock. It's like an absolute rock. Just hit me in the ship.
Speaker 3: Keeps you awake that it does.
Speaker 1: Well, what do you think the bug is saying? What do you think his last words are? Holy shit? Or you know? He he just ate, he had his girlfriend, you know, he was at his girlfriend's place. He was over here, over here, decides to go and then here comes Steve.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right, so seeing if I can find a big photo.
Speaker 1: There we go. You know, I'm seeing Julie while you're looking for that. I'm seeing Julie, and I'm sure I v one's whe her somewhere. I remember one of the times we went down to Florida. We stopped into one of the gas stations literally on the highway, and they had this power washing machine that you can go through for a couple of bucks and would spray you down just to And I didn't think, I'm like, what do I need this for? I went out to look at the front and Julie said it. The dragonflies were incredible. Oh, the love bugs in Florida are horrible and they're like, they're like this, you know, it's like.
Speaker 4: And they will absolutely ruin the pain if you don't clean them off. So there's Mom with her escort that is Lorraine on the back and they've ridden together two years now, trying to find some of the good photos.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 4: We had a crew join us from the Iron Horse clan and yes you're seeing that correctly. He is wearing a kilty and they ride in kilts.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny. This show in the Ham radio community is what taught me what a kilt? You know what the name of those was?
Speaker 1: What you didn't You didn't know what a kilt?
Speaker 3: You didn't know the whole was really somebody around here wearing it's an Irish thing.
Speaker 1: I think it's or Scottish or wait a minute now I'm I'm I'm gonna get myself in trouble. I don't know if it's Irish or Scottish. So if you're in the chat, please tell us or was it a combined but and there's my buddy Michael and his Indian He trailered up with me. Thank you Andy, Andy is uh Scott, Thank you thank you. Yeah, so, yeah, we got quite a few. I was looking to see if we had some good pictures along the ride. Here's Dad on the canam he rented up there in DC because he wanted to have another trick up there, so instead of you know, taking his two wheel bike, he rented a canm up there, so that we had two can ams. He rented one, said he rented one about one hundred and ten dollars a day. Oh yeah, one hundred and a day.
Speaker 3: Reasonable.
Speaker 1: Oh, very better stability. Oh yeah. It's three wheels, so.
Speaker 4: You kind of feel like you're liding out of it in a sharp turn, whereas on a bike you actually lean the bike. But when you have you know, a blue Star Mom or gold Star Mom that's getting up there in age mm hmm, it's a whole lot easier for them to get on three wheels. They feel safer. Here's my buddy Brad that actually had the bolt go through the rear tire. That's the new rear tire on there, so you can't even tell. The rooms aren't the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we call those things saddle bags back there, the saddle bags and the pipes. Yeah yeah, and the lady that's on the back of his bike is the current national president of Blue Star Mothers. You had some good weather, right, I had great weather. It was not too hot.
Speaker 4: You know, days started out cool and the nights got downright chili when we were riding mhm. But for the most part, you know, it was very comfortable weather, so we weren't dying sweating like we have been in years past.
Speaker 1: Carlos, you're not a saddle bag. You are not a saddle bag.
Speaker 3: Brother, and.
Speaker 1: You guys probably know this Yearhoo, that's you. That's me. Yeah, that's you. They had to get me in a couple of well what go back to that. I want to see that camera. Now, there's a good shot of the camera. There's there's the camera. Came there's a camera. You know.
Speaker 3: I was walking around with that camera. I figured out a way to mount it on my tactical backpack.
Speaker 1: Oh there you go.
Speaker 3: And so I was walking around Dayton. One guy he turned around, Luke and stopped and you kind of started laughing, and he's like, ah, I thought that was a cell phone intenda. I was like, you know, it's not a bad idea, but.
Speaker 1: No, Steve, did anybody say, what's the antenna for Did they think it was an antenna of some of some sort.
Speaker 3: Yea, yes, they do, kind of some similar to what we move or whatever you call it. Yeah, we we move if you look here, got some rhymes, right.
Speaker 4: This antenna here is actually my two meter antenna. Okay, because I do have a hammer radio on the bike.
Speaker 1: Helmet. Because that camera looks like the antenna that came with my bow fang UV twenty five. There you go, just some real crazy conception of but it works, it picks up stuff, and you know, it is what it is. So hey, if it works, it's not stupid, right, that's right. And even the ugliest antenna seemed to always work the best. So yeah, we got Joe, so that's it. Yeah, okay, let me take the rubber off. No, you're supposed to keep the rubber onto. I didn't say that.
Speaker 3: You just slide the rubber back on from the top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, down on it. Somebody record that. What's the battery capacity for us?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Seriously? Are you are we talking like an hour? Can you?
Speaker 3: You were probably doing more, Steve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I had it set in three K in three sixty mode mm hmm, and I still had quarter battery left after you know, recording. What about Well, let's see that's that's almost fifty minutes of video I have in the the two going over the cathedral. Now, if you weren't doing three K, can you knock it down to like that? That is knocked down? Oh that's the lowest.
Speaker 4: Uh no, no you can. You can go down I think to seven twenty. But why Yeah, I wanted a little bit better quality. But I know, like my phone, when I try to do four K gets hot.
Speaker 3: It will get hot so thermal group and that's it gets hot just sitting to the computer transferring the files.
Speaker 4: That's why I just pull the SD card out of it.
Speaker 1: Too much?
Speaker 3: Word gott to pop the battery?
Speaker 1: Is it one of those devices to where it only wants to see a thirty two gig SD card? Or we'll take something bigger.
Speaker 4: No, it'll take larger, okay, because four K files are larger in with and then yeah, and if you try to do four K three sixty, I'm sure those files are insanely large.
Speaker 3: Right they get they get prettyhifty. Just pulling up.
Speaker 1: Looking to see if I have any other good pictures, Frank, I wasn't going after Yazon on that one. I just know that was a topic of discussion with the yay Zoo and the SD cards and icon when Icon came out. So Frank, they're talking about you know, is it a Yazoo product. No, it's not. I will but very good Frank for paying attention. Is So, we actually took the Blue Star Mothers in Arlington up to see their founder. He's buried, and I had a picture of all of us there and thankfully these ladies love taking photos, so I don't have to worry about it. I just stealing from them just like I do. Thumbnails So here's the group of Blue Star Mothers that were there this year. We're at George Mannis's grave, which is their founder. Very nice, and then we have all of the escorts. We find a good shot. It's not from the side, Steve. While you're doing that, do you find the event getting bigger? Has it plateaued as far as it actually shrank this year compared to last as people get older or what do you think? Be not not sure what caused it. There's the group of escorts that went up to the graveside with us, so not all of the escorts went, but it was.
Speaker 4: I don't want to speculate on the number just yet of how many were there this year, but they did say the parking lot was cleared out in about an hour, and in years past it's taken six to seven hours clear out.
Speaker 1: Well, let's face it, people are going to remember how they want when it comes to this topic. They're going to remember how they want to do it. Maybe it's too maybe it's too much. Maybe the emotion and the grief is just too much, and they want to do something a little bit, maybe more subtle, and we're going to respect that either way. So well, and you know, after doing this, this was your number thirteen for me.
Speaker 4: Like I said, I'm going to keep going until my ticket gets punched and I'm no longer standing on this earth, no matter.
Speaker 1: Where I'm at.
Speaker 4: But it's the emails of happy Memorial Day drive me crazy now because Memorial Day is for those that put on the uniform and never came right.
Speaker 1: It's not happy, no, No, I agree, wow, But you know, I think that's something that I don't want to say, Hallmark, but it's just how it it's just how it comes out. Well, and for those of you that follow me on TikTok.
Speaker 4: You've probably seen that I shared a bunch of Memorial Day stuff on TikTok from other creators just to get the message out. And it was all all talking about Yeah, it's not about barbecues, and it's not about the start of summer. No, because, like I said, that Saturday is a banquet for the gold Star Mothers of America, which means they've lost a child in service. And one of the moms got up and actually told her son's story. And sadly enough, the fact that he was killed was sad enough, but it was that he was killed going between thirty second Street in San Diego down to North Island on his motorcycle and somebody ran him off the road. Wow, Jim, thank you for the super chat. Yep, you're right, brother Jeffrey, brother gill all gave some brother.
Speaker 1: Jim just said it all everybody, He just said it all right there. Unfortunately, Steve, this is what has happened in our culture that we tie food into almost every event. Ye just just look at just look at a memorial wake service. Just look at what look what is Look how look how Christmas has turned out in Eastern Yah. You know you have something really so highly religious and that, but they tied in a bunny mm hmm, which has nothing to do with the Christian well topic of Easter. But I'll tell you from the.
Speaker 4: Gold Star mothers and from the gold Star wives, they said, you know, yes, enjoy your barbecue. That's what our son or our husband would have wanted, you know, because they enjoyed their barbecues. Memory they they enjoyed their long weekend. But if you take a minute and think about it, raise a glass for those that didn't come home.
Speaker 1: Set the missing man table. Yeah, I may that's the key, right, you know something, I may get you over the Legion and do a video on the missing man table. Let me tell you something. What you just said, Steve is very very important that I think at that everybody should do at however everybody wants to choose to do it that's appropriate for your family or whatever. Have that discussion that before we start saying past the hot dogs and the macaroni salad and go get the charts and the frisbee and all this other stuff, go get me a beer. We're going to stop and we're going to just remember, whether it's for one minute or five minutes or maybe talk about something in the family that's the important. I think that is something important. And when you instill that into the young folk of your family, and they will continue to do it, and when they get older, they will do it. And that's very very important, I think. And Joe popped up a comment there for a minute from K and four MD radioactive. People don't respect the sacrifices and the flag until they've been handed a folded one good point, and he's one hundred percent right.
Speaker 4: And then Frank came back and said, yeah, I eat some still don't respect it after that, and I've seen that too. But you know, sitting with these mothers and these wives over the weekend and hearing the stories. Yeah, and then even some of my writers that are veterans that have buddies that didn't come home listening to their stories, and those stories need to be told. It's very very they need to be told. We need to hear it. We need to hear it, and that's important. Let that voice be heard well. And my my video from the ride Sunday, I am gonna try to do some creative editing on it and I'm going to overlay the names of the children of the gold Star mothers that were on the ride with me. That's nice touch because they don't truly die until their name is spoken for the last time. M you know, as long as we're speaking their name, their memory lives on right.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: So but yeah, I usually do a playlist. I didn't have time to do it this year with all the travel. Of just songs that I play while we're going through.
Speaker 1: And I never realized the power of some of the quote patriotic songs until you listen to the stories and then you listen to the the songs with these ladies. So somebody in the chat brought up Andy did regarding Ray Charles, that's a very very moving Maybe I don't know why. As I've gotten older, he always liked it, but it just has more of a deeper, deeper And I feel bad that sometimes here in America we are so split. We are so split right down the middle, hardcore. You know, one group wants it, one way, wants a vision for America one way. One group wants it, and we're always you know, and we're spending more and more time with division instead of being united, you know, And we gotta find some common ground. We gotta, folks, we have to start finding some common ground. I don't want. I am so sick and tired of seeing the signs for all these projects. And then now say it's a bipartisan project. You know, it's always been a bipartisan project because some you know, both groups agreed to to the funding for it. But there are there are much more appropriate ways. I feel that we as Americans at all levels, and we've got to start telling the politicians this is what we want. Yea, we we've we've stop it, stop it, stop it, stop it with your egos. This is about us in America as Americans and everything. So and I don't know, I'm listen. Maybe what I just said it's it's happening all over the world, maybe out maybe in England. Are folks who are watching and listening right now in England. Maybe they're gonna tell me, hey, it's it's the same here. Maybe it is. I don't know. So say I'll share one more real, powerful photo here and then we can get back to the radio talk. If off those sacred grounds, you will understand the power of that photo. But that is one small small piece of Arlington National Cemetery and every one of those headstones is in perfect alignment, and there's thirteen inches below ground. Each headstone weighs two hundred pounds. They are four inches thick. So if that doesn't give you chills, something's wrong. Yep. Between that and the change of the guard, if you ever get the chance to make Darlington, you've got to go the tomb and see the changing. Yes, my kids did that. My kids were mine and you know my kids Steve yep and Matthew just said, Dad, you have got to do this. He said it was just so in your face and through your whole entire body and soul felt. And he goes He's like, he's like that. I don't know. I'm only seventeen eighteen, and you know, and I'm able to feel it. I said, good for you, good for you. I should, you know.
Speaker 4: And I've had the pleasure of being up there a few times and having.
Speaker 1: A young.
Speaker 4: You know, student male, female, doesn't matter, but probably under the age of twelve, and you know, their parent will tell them you got to be quiet this somber place, and I'll lean down and say, make sure you count the steps, make sure you count how long that guard is paused. Oh, real heal and then tell me what you get after the changing. Every tomb guard takes twenty one steps on their walk and faced the tomb for twenty one seconds precision.
Speaker 1: Look at that. That's that and then they turned back. But do you know why it's twenty one steps for the twenty one gun for the I forget what the twenty one means that, but there's but there's a meaning for that, right, Yeah, So yeah, it's That's one thing.
Speaker 3: When I was up at d C, I wish that would have planned an extra day because Monday through Friday we were we were just cooped up all day. By the time you got out ate some supper, it was not to get dark. So I went to the what are they what are they called, the big the Lincoln Memorial and all that. Yeah, the mall.
Speaker 1: The National Mall, yeah, National Mall. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I went and walked all that and I got to see all that out there. But Artleton, of course, it was closed up, and it's been nice. If I if I go again, I'll try to schedule that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely schedule that.
Speaker 3: On a day to give me an extra day.
Speaker 1: What my first trip to DC, you know, my first rolling thunder. I had said something to the folks that were putting on a barbecue for us afterwards, about yeah, I've never been I want to go see the changing of the guard. And they looked at me and they said, if you go catch the Metro now, you can probably make the last changing of the day. And so Dad and I hopped on our bikes, ran over the Metro, took it down to Darlington and we made it in time for the last two changing of the guards and we stood there through both of them. Excellent part. But shout out to read there our buddy Alpha Bravo wait Alpha Sarah for assisting somebody in a wheelchair so that people can stand up during the changing. Thank you Read That's awesome. That's awesome.
Speaker 4: Hoter flight escort is a big deal, Reid, thank you for doing that. Yeah, that's one of the things on my bucket list.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: You know when we talk about this, I always remember my granddad's I had. I had this one granddad that annoyed the hell out of you, the same stories over and over and over, right, And of course when when he's gone, it's like, man, I wish I could hear the story, But but then I had this other granddad, sir. He never spoke about it. Never, It was never spoke about, you know, and it just makes you wonder like was he just one that didn't speak about it, or was this some ship that maybe speak about it.
Speaker 4: I will, I will tell you my grandfather. I didn't know he served I until years later, and he would not talk about his service.
Speaker 3: Nobody in the family talked about it. Nobody.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: I finally got to sit down and talk to Dad about it one year and he told me my grandfather was a house cleaner in World War Two. They did not expect him to come home.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm. He was sent into houses with a bayonet and a pistol. Yeah, clean it out. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I ended up. Of course he's going now. But my grandma is still still around with that that was married to that granddad. I couldn't help it. I asked her about it one day. Was calmly, you know, as nonchalant as I could, right right, she was just like, he just didn't wasn't something that he did, And it's probably because he saw some stuff and it was too.
Speaker 1: Traumatic for him to talk about it.
Speaker 3: I don't know what his job was or nothing I could imagine, well, Joe.
Speaker 1: We're almost an hour in and we haven't got to you yet.
Speaker 3: Yep, ain't that something?
Speaker 1: Tell you what, man, I just kind of took over the show.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry follow that. I said, this ain't a memorial thing, thankfully, but talking about it, this is more on the veteran side. And I had a veteran buddy come back and uh from from serving. He'd only been home maybe a couple of months, and uh uh I had bought me and a girlfriend at the time some concert tickets and you know, well I was single by the time the concert came around, and I said, hey, buddy, you need to get out of the house. You want to go to this concert with me? It wanna be my date? And he's like, yeah you. So here we go. We're we're sitting there and the you know, you got the bands playing, it's it's the right right thing. Whatever you got the the bands that headline the show, or not headline.
Speaker 1: It, but open the show, the opener.
Speaker 3: So while we're waiting on the headliner, uh, we go out to the to the smoke deck outside, you know, the fenced in pigpin and we're sitting there just chit chatting with me and him was the only one out there, and all of a sudden, the damn World Show, the main show started, and they started out with Piotech and we're just sitting there talking, looking at each other eye level, and then all of a sudden, he disappears, like U hell, he stands back up and he's just holding a cigarette like It's like dall boy, that one was close. He he was laughing about it, but dude was trembling. We couldn't do nothing but laugh. But I dann the stuff that people go through. Oh yeah, so anyway, let's get off your saffy asses now talk about some radio. We're in you okay, that is.
Speaker 1: A yeah, I'm going I like to talk radio, all right, all right, so you know that.
Speaker 3: And it works out. We gave enough time for Mike MKA to get in here.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So this whole damn six meters thing that he wrapped up.
Speaker 1: I tried. I tried.
Speaker 3: I really want to know how his experience turned out to be. If he even got on the radio, I don't know. He probably never returned.
Speaker 1: Well, he was in between kids stuff. I think a birthday paraty, a soccer game.
Speaker 3: That's about right, it's about right. Ever, talked about six meters chuck popping in the in the chat K six us y, what's up man? Figure out how to share the screen?
Speaker 1: Well, Joe Roke, while you're doing that, Joe, I think my problem was I didn't pull the beam from the rafters, the two element beam, and I didn't hook it up to the seventy three hundred and push a hundred watch trucks. I think I think ten watch through the seven o five through an infed halfwave.
Speaker 3: Look at that Saturday.
Speaker 1: Man, Now see now you and I could have worked in the World Radio League at that.
Speaker 3: Look at Saturday. Oh for the ship, I might as well use it for a year. Anyway. I wish I would have put I should have put Saturdays in there, But that wasn't the challenge. Sunday was a challenge, right, yes, and uh so this is only Sunday. And I got five contacts. Four of them was FT eight because sideband was there were some stations out there. I think some people heard Mike, you know, but they were in the noise for me whatever. I pulled out at one station up around New York, oh ad two h z. I that was a good contact. But that was one hundred watch with my eighty meter loop.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I worked that thing. It's it's an eighty meter full wave loop, but it does very little eighty meters and I don't have to tune it across any other band except twelve meters, right, nice, and I probably really don't have to use it on that. It's just like a little closer to three than I want it to be. But uh, yeah, I had a whole six meter conversation. No, no, no, it didn't. It was a I had a conversation on free DV yesterday, actually used free DV and contacted a fellow on twenty meters and we were talking about how my intena worked and how it was kind of weird how it works. But yeah, anyway, so that's Saturday. I think was a little better. But this is what I got for Sunday. Got five contacts in there, so I just wanted to show I did participate, Mike.
Speaker 1: So this is around what balling around three o'clock in the afternoon, maybe four o'clock in the afternoon. I'm looking at your well see because I was listening. I woke up around one thirty seven u TC. I woke up around ten o'clock in the morning from that midnight shift, so it was around ten thirty eleven, and like I said, I quickly threw on the seven oh five and I can hear things right in that noise for driving me crazy. Yeah, I fired up the We go back to your photo that you had up there on the left hand side, probably when I created the log. Okay, I don't I don't know.
Speaker 3: Log the last one, but I.
Speaker 1: Gotta tell you I really liked what Mike and to m Aky did. He inspired us. He basically kicked our butts and said, guys, let's do this. Why why not? You know, I mean, Minus, you gotta watch if you just make the call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there ain't nothing on ere tonight.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well I saw n Yo said he got a new grid on six oh excellent, Mike, congratulations, good good for him.
Speaker 3: That's that.
Speaker 1: There's Mike with a five twenty five super chat. Thanks brother, We appreciate your trying. Very appropriate. Joe Bratt and everyone else I had fun heard others did too, So yeah, we thought.
Speaker 3: I think his message come come across and I think maybe some others were thinking it too, that maybe didn't hear his message, but they realized and.
Speaker 1: I thought, I thought his chat donation was going to be five hundred and twenty five dollars. But that's okay, I.
Speaker 4: Guess I'm only kidding me.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I did fire up the eight fifty seven.
Speaker 4: I actually had to run a couple of ladies over to their hotel after the ride, and on my way back, I went ahead and tuned up the A ties on six just to see if I could hear anybody right, and I called out a couple of times, but.
Speaker 1: Shame here the same here, I yes, all right now.
Speaker 4: I did, however, get to work on and Julie Sunday night, you know, on forty. They were in a park and every looked at me funny because I get up from the chair I was sitting in when we were all hanging out and go run out to the truck, tune up the INTWNA and.
Speaker 1: Try to work him. Band conditions have been really weird. The spots are very very low well and very low in between buildings. Did not help mm hm. But but yeah, I was able to get them, so Julie was happy. Been struggling late lately, just trying to get down the Florida I used to have a nice pipe, nice pipeline, and you know even the is it the eight Papa Bravo guy, I believe in Barbados on poda Again. I miss hearing that nice although I've been having a great pipeline to Alabama, Arkansas and Missouri. Go figure here.
Speaker 3: Let me let me tell you that every time I use six meters mm hmm, it favor is the northeast, the East coast, Okay, And it always has no matter if when I use my Titan DX vertical, I'm a loop because I used to hit six meter repeaters up and down the East Coast all the time. So it's for whatever reason where I'm I'm at the angle of my land here. I guess I can get out of the places, but the majority of my context is always the East Coast. So yeah, left try it.
Speaker 1: Some days, what I'm I have a posting note and they're in the bedroom in that over an that stationary de like this, and there's a there's a dual band comment here X two hundred that's not being used anymore. So the six meter yaggy can go on there. I gotta move the end fat. I found another location. I want to fool with it. So I think I I think I want to keep that six meter gaggy. Yet for a while I was reacher for that same one. Joe, what did he say? What did he say?
Speaker 3: Cow a zero? As War says that pipeline into Missouris though it was called the El Camino Path.
Speaker 1: It is great. Let me tell you something something about working anything across the Mississippi. I love it when the Montana Guide I'm working in Montana, Washington, Oregon and northern California. I love saying coast to coast, coast to coast, I love saying. And that's a great accomplishment when two stations, you know, just running a very simple wire or maybe I'm running the Athos whatever can do that. You know, that's the magic of this hobby. That'll never go away for me, never go away. I don't care if I'm on my three hundredth million contact. That's still exciting for me, you know.
Speaker 3: So I'll let me know when you're ready for me to step on some toes.
Speaker 1: All right, dull haul Joe brant Rant.
Speaker 3: You know, we had we had guests on the show and stuff, and yeah, it's it's time to talk about this and it's time to talk about it. Uh, in a in a nice productive way. I'm not gonna rant so much like I did because I want to respect others, right, But are you ready for do we get some more stuff?
Speaker 1: Yep, you don't want to call it a rant, but.
Speaker 3: The whole subject revolves around this kind of device. What's that remind you of?
Speaker 1: Oh, light at the top of the tower tower bacon? Uh huh.
Speaker 3: So I'm on the socials the other day.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking, I'm thinking of the guy who plows snows.
Speaker 3: I'm on the socials a couple of weeks back in this guy. You'll have to wait, David, I have not got that a ties from Jim yet.
Speaker 1: Now, David, David first rant first, let's just.
Speaker 8: Let's think, let's not mix thee we'll get We'll get to that, because I was thinking the same thing to David, making this just a complete rant.
Speaker 3: I opened, you know, opinions to become to me through the chat as well and on screen. But this social user comes on as talks about everybody. Every single person that has a radio tower should have it lit with navigational beacons for low flying aircraft to see you, Okay, which is not now he had I understood what he was saying, but what he was saying he didn't think all the way through. There's a reason that there's not a damn regulation for somebody with a fifty foot tower to have a blinking line on. Okay, Now, his reasoning was medical helicopters, maybe some prop dust or something like that. I kid it, Yeah, I understand that. But in the whole big scheme of things, pilots, if they lose their instruments, or if they're flying a plane that really doesn't have a lot of fancy instruments whatever, they're in a balloon floating chain't ha got all this radars shit on his blue But they look for landmarks, your sectional maps, your aeronautical sectional maps have towers of appropriate height, you are corrector pilots know to look for that, so they'll use them for navigational e's. They'll use them at night to determine their height above ground. Sometimes Yep, this is a regulated thing for tower two hundred feet or higher to be lit. So therefore the train pilot knows that if he sees a blinking light, that should be at least two hundred feet or higher off the ground. Correct if he's coming over kind of lost his way, lost his aids and sees my fifty foot tower or my forty foot tower with the big ass blinking beacon on it, and he thinks these two three hundred feet off the ground. He hears that he will behind my house. Then what did I just do? So there was a lot of discussion in this social post, and the best way I could relate it was, Man, what you're asking people to do is for every single person that resides at a house next to a intersection with traffic lights should install their own traffic light at the corner of their property nearest to that intersection. It's not because you know, it's additional lighting, right, So what happens when you're lights green but the real one's red but they see yours, You know, you just cause chaos because you're using an unregulated device for regulated Harry, right, right?
Speaker 1: Okay, well, Joe, I'll take it a step further. The regulation is not that the tower has to be lighted or not just that the tower has to be lighted.
Speaker 4: When it's over two hundred feet. You have to monitor that light to make sure it's working.
Speaker 3: It goes out, You have to notify so that they can notify their notes, you know, or put it on their notice.
Speaker 1: There's a question in the extra about that. I think there was something also maybe in the tech Yeah, something in the extra.
Speaker 3: I'm not passioning the guy completely. I'm just he was one of those that wouldn't listen to other people's opinions. There was several other folks on the same page.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but uh and if you hit my thirty foot tower, yeah, I want to know how you missed my sixty five foot tree in my front yard. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I get everybody's thinking of these commercial built planes and everything. Yes, absolutely, the likelihood of them not using instruments and not knowing besides looking at landmarks and blinking lights of where they're at and how high they are is very slim. But I'm thinking of the guy flying the little experimental plane that don't even require pilot's license. They ain't got a lot of instruments on it. Yeah, he probably shouldn't be flying at at night, but I don't know the regulations on that.
Speaker 1: I think sport probably they're not allowed to flat night. That wouldn't make a lot of sense, but uh, right, that would make sense to me. This is the whole thing. If if people, if a massive people just decided to start using regulated stuff in unregulated means, you cause confusion. You could actually call somebody to get hurt when you're trying to make it excel point excel point.
Speaker 3: But uh, that was my little rant about that.
Speaker 1: No, one hundred percent agree with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if when I was more fired up, that would have been like a thirty minute rant. But I don't hold on the grudges very long. It's been a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: So as I'm sitting here having my cigars, should I just let everyone know that I'm having my cigars so so so nobody bumps into me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not gonna as though.
Speaker 1: You just need to turn on the lights on your truck. Hell yeah, hell yeah, because if it's anything like your old truck, I know what light kit you had on there, Steve. I'll do a video for you, Okay, Yes, Julie Carlos has the tallest tower in the Midwest. Yeah, when when you.
Speaker 4: Come out of the airplane at fourteenth thousand feet and immediately deploy an antenna, you ruled v H four HF even. But I like the idea of wrapping him at Christmas lights to a point.
Speaker 1: Carlos, Yeah, I like that idea. That way we could see him better as he's coming down in between the bubble wrap.
Speaker 4: But I also know he needs access to his handles. Yeah, and I want that correctly.
Speaker 3: It doesn't have to be Christmas lights. It could be it could be glow sticks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's glow ropes.
Speaker 3: Could bees around him coming around.
Speaker 1: Those led lights. Those led lights are going kids rooms and ever, and that will give him a disco ball.
Speaker 3: So Carlos, he's put that on his helm, yes, yeah, yeah, all right?
Speaker 1: Tell you if he jumped at Christmas time, well, actually he could Scott after Land. I know jumps in December a little cold though, depending we're gonna okay different, okay, Yeah, Scout after Land, Florida.
Speaker 3: On my way to Xenia. How almost hit do you turn about Cincinnati?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Take out a ups truck.
Speaker 3: Seen that truck there. But it was a lady driver. I wouldn't cause her no problems. I respect the ladies.
Speaker 1: So did you say, hey, by by any chance you have?
Speaker 3: Like she was kind of over the day anyway, So.
Speaker 1: Hey, by any chance, here's my last name. Do you have a box of my last name. And I've done that in town. Uh, I've done that in town. All right, Mike seventh three that anything, Mike h a big big boy just popped in so Joe. Everybody wants, obviously to get kind of the the box has not arrived yet.
Speaker 3: No, I'm still don't get the box yet.
Speaker 1: What's the least tracking on it?
Speaker 3: The same it was two months ago?
Speaker 1: What a dianna?
Speaker 3: I may I may have a new T shirt idea.
Speaker 1: I think it's still in Alabama, Alabama.
Speaker 3: How can I do well, let's just sure the screen. I can't. I can't. Yeah, Oh, what's he doing? So I got this new T shirt idea and I'm oh, geez, I'm kind of I'm kind of his it because I almost got in hot water over the Hunts folks making their you know, my shirt a little too resembling to their logo, so that I'm not so sure how UPS is gonna feel that I was.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say UPS is a little bit larger legal department council. But you know, someone though I don't understand because I have never and I don't want to jinx myself. I have never had an issue with the with them FedEx and all the fed X Browns and the d h L. I have never had an issue. I don't understand what happened. Am I am I here? Am I one of the lucky ones? You know? Yeah? I will say out of all of them, UPS has been the best to me.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My guy knows there's like an alcohol area. If it's raining, it's wrapped, it's wrapped in plastic and it gets pushed. And now with the notifications that your thing is here, you could check, I could see it's not in the regular spot. I mean, my guy goes the extra mile? Is it just because that's him? Good guy? Yeah, you've got a good guy, you know. And Chris and trust me, Christmas guy, Christmas time.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: He gets twenty five bucks, he gets some cookies or whatever. Either's there's three people here. You know.
Speaker 3: He's the same way. If the package ever get this close, yep, Like he knows what house he can leave it at if I'm not around and he don't feel comfortable leaving it on my port. Yeah, right, like without asking or anything, he knows it's okay.
Speaker 1: Because because him, do you there our male lady and our garbage, our garbage guy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The whole thing that is, when it comes to n antenna or tower, you got to get it out of Alabama first.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is do you guys up there do the same thing I've seen them do down here in the South, which some folks will put a cooler at a basket of snacks on their porch with a note for delivery drivers.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't know that. Yep. Well, during the gatorades and waters and stuff in the cooler during COVID, we left stuff out for him because we knew he was working ten twelve, sixteen hour days every day and ever, and it just became you know, first it was a wholal dance, a handshake, You get to know their first name, this and that, you start talking about the kids and this and that and again he's working for a living, just like me. Yeah. And the only difference is is in my job, people are not dropping off cookies and other things for me. But I feel obligated to do that. Man. I feel he's going the extra mile. Yes, he's doing his job, but there are many times he's going above and beyond. And I wish I could tell his boss that. I wish I could tell his boss. But I don't know if it's an email that's just gonna get you know whatever, And who knows if iver I get rid, I'd rather tell the man himself. That's how I look at it. And I told him I'm not asked kissing the man. I'm just this is just who I am. I say, thank you, you know, the guy for so for our trash bins. When he opens up the bin, there's a big envelope that says, driver, Merry Christmas. So he knows, you know, don't put it in the back of the truck. That's for you. You know, that's for you, all.
Speaker 3: Right, So it's just in case. The ups thing, the t shirt idea was a little edgy because you know, they're a big corporation or thing. If people felt like it probably wouldn't a good idea to step on their toes. Then I come up with another one. I think I think NASA would be okay with it right there you go.
Speaker 1: I mean, why would they have a problem. Why would they have a problem. That's how I look at it. I look at from a different why would they have the point? What's the problem with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually had to stop for the night, like I was I have freedom Lay all these different brands, and I'm like, I got to the whole reason I'm having to come up with.
Speaker 1: You got a freedom Lay. I love Freedo's. I love freedom Corn chips. Grew up on them. Wow, I'll take it wet or dry, I don't care. I mean, it's all about that flavor. You know what I mean. But I'm telling you I want royalties on that.
Speaker 3: Is all the on.
Speaker 1: The cooler idea. I like that cooler idea.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna I see where they think about that actually put you know, ups FedEx usps and Amazon. Yeah, because a lot of people down here drive for Amazon, not just full time, but even part time.
Speaker 1: Right. So it's funny you said about Amazon, Steve, because on Friday when I when I was ordering some stuff, I had had the option of it coming for Sunday and Monday. I said, No, you're not coming to my house on Sunday and Monday, not because you're not gonna get you know, anything from me. I don't want you coming to my house. You don't have to. You should be home like you're making money because you need money. If they're paying you some extra bucks, I get it, but tell you what so I held before I actually bought it. I waited until Sunday to order it so it would come this week. Yeah, I just didn't feel fun. I felt this is stuff that I didn't need it, like God to have it in emergency and don't don't come to my house if you can get out or early. You know what I mean.
Speaker 4: One of the best legity systems in America is Amazon. They've got it figured out.
Speaker 1: But some of my Amazon stuff comes usps, some comes to ups.
Speaker 3: You know why you mentioned that, I'm gonna say because this has came up before too. I think maybe even on the show. I'm not sure, but uh, you order Amazon package and it comes in on a Sunday, and there's these people that, oh, man, I want my mail man having to work on a Sunday. Right. Well, I was the same way believer. I was like, dude, I tried not to order this thing where it comes on Sunday, and he said, oh, absolutely not. Make them all come on Sundays again. He said, all right, I want the extra work, contry pay due. They get paid good to do that on something the other do. Yeah, I'll deliver all the Sundays I can. I'm like, I got you, dude, I need two double a's on a Sunday, thank you?
Speaker 1: So did I screw up? And maybe on July because July I think July fourth is a Friday. Should I have them come to my house? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I try not to have stuff delivered on a holiday because I enjoyed my holidays off.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I know there's some people that just don't care, and they'll work seven days a week.
Speaker 3: At my local one so far. He told me, he said, it's a volunteer basis. You know, they ain't had a problem where they've had to volunteer somebody right now.
Speaker 1: See, I I wish Amazon had that had a had a third option. Let me choose my date now.
Speaker 3: Yeah they do.
Speaker 1: I only have two. Yeah, I have my Prime, so I have two. I want the third. Let me choose. I mean a day later than what you wanted to. Well that's well, that's what I ended up. I didn't order on Friday. I waited until Sunday. Well the kids, the kids were all doing their bonfire and all this other stuff, and there I am. You know, I popped onto uh popped onto Adjacent's happy hour, and in between the happy hour, I'm like you know something, I got something sitting in a cart. Let me take care of that. Well, and you know the contract basis of Amazon. You know, I've done some of those runs myself, and I'll watch, you know, if the rates start going way up, Yeah, I'll jump on one. Yeah, I'll go burn three hours driving packages around. Guess what.
Speaker 4: The packages don't bitch about how you treat them.
Speaker 1: They don't complain about your driving. Mm hmm. I will not do uber left forget it. Yeah, well, I guess we should ask Kim uh not Kim? Is it Elizabeth? My chat? Oh? What did you do?
Speaker 3: Button? And it keeps going on?
Speaker 1: Joe, how did how did you get that request the chat? Oh?
Speaker 3: The person is in the chat? What's up? Big boy? I'm Radio Cat.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately I didn't bring that kenkoozy out here to night.
Speaker 1: I've got mine around here, so.
Speaker 3: I have for the past two weeks, Jody says. Joe Brett seems very ups at about this. Upset. Yep, I am a little upset.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: One thing I've noticed about ups if you'll look at where I don't know, I shouldn't say this everywhere, but there was when I was down in Jackson taking my drone class. There was a ups hub at the airport there. I am saying three planes. It was three planes. Only one of them disappeared the whole week. The other two never moved. Well, you go up here to Memphis, and Memphis is ninety eight percent fed Ex traffic constantly tail to tale man, So I'm like, maybe thats just wasn't one of their main.
Speaker 1: For Kim. If you're listening, I'm sending you a link through email right now. There you go. I just hit her and chat.
Speaker 3: So I got go all the way back to YouTube and get my chat back. Tell you what watching d.
Speaker 1: What alright? She was setting she was notified. That was up to her. She was notified. We'll take care of that. Take care of.
Speaker 3: That easy, is though.
Speaker 1: Oh man, we gotta take care of businessman. I'm watching the clock. We're an hour, We're an hour and twenty, we're an hour.
Speaker 3: And you had this rattle in your voice that we heard for you, Like really, yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, really got the rattles?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, you started getting that Jennifer voice. What do you talk to Jennifer?
Speaker 1: Oh no, the heck no, no no, no, hold uh no, I'm watching the clock. We're we're an hour and twenty almost twenty five minutes in here. She wants to come on. Man, we gotta get her on now.
Speaker 3: Man, now's the time, right, It's hard to get them, uh West Coast folks up in here, all right. It's still daylight where she at.
Speaker 1: She hasn't probably even had suffer yet.
Speaker 3: What are you using for lighting? Is that a porch light or something? Why is it so daylight looking? It's a ring ring, It's a ring light.
Speaker 1: Look at you.
Speaker 3: Operated the sun?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you know how all that ring like that was when the channel. That's when I had the channel going to that thing. That thing, that thing's got some history on it.
Speaker 3: I think Jeff in the chat already trying to tell me that I may need to preps the shame for what I showed. You might want to check your NASA website?
Speaker 1: Am I really orange? There? Do I look orange? No? Man, I'm not orange? Am I? And that's natural? That's natural light coming on? Maybe it's just.
Speaker 3: Frank's talking about it's easy to get us West Coast people up in here. Frank, Frank's always there everywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is.
Speaker 3: He's an exception.
Speaker 1: I heard a doorbell. Is that her? Yep, right, give us up when you're ready. It'll be good to talk to her. You know again. I'm seeing again. I see her all there she is. I see her all the time, and that Poeta app and that Poeta app activating and I can't hit her out there in California. It's frustrating, frustrating when you can't work fronts to say park the park or here, you know whatever, and how you doing so so so you're here now, how you doing?
Speaker 5: I'm doing?
Speaker 9: Okay, I'm hanging in there. I'm hanging in there.
Speaker 1: Where's the dogs? Where's your dogs?
Speaker 5: I hold on? Okay there, okay, can you hear me? Okay, okay, I had to close the other window. I was getting uh everything, okay, yeah, I'm doing okay, I'm I'm in the back bedroom here because we gave up our master bedroom for my parents. So I feel like this is like the I feel like this is the college dorm room now. So we had my neighbor over here and Larry over here. We were like drinking here in this room and everything it did feel like toll college dorm room?
Speaker 1: Where's Larry? Tom was popping the camera way Yeah.
Speaker 5: He's in the other room. He's hanging doing his thing. So how are you guys doing.
Speaker 1: We're doing good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's still daylight here since kind of in my eye here. But yeah, it's uh, it's been challenging. You know, I have my parents here, so definitely a different uh you know, oh yeah, oh yeah. Yeah. We can't really go anywhere, you know, without having plans or somebody come take care of my parents or something, you know, or just you know, barely pop over to the store. We have to do it between things going on. And yeah, so but we're we're gonna go camping in a couple of weeks for our anniversary.
Speaker 9: So thirty five years and we haven't killed each other yet.
Speaker 1: The King the graduations is excellent.
Speaker 9: Thanks, Yeah, we haven't killed each other quite yet.
Speaker 5: So but my always says the day is not over.
Speaker 1: Hey, Kim, refresh our memories when we see you on the poet responding page between you know, seventeen meters and twenty what antent are you using? What are your favorite antennas?
Speaker 5: Right? Right, So when we have the RV, I'm usually using the it's a home vertical, homebrew vertical. And then sometimes when we go out with the jeep. I'll bring the shark antenna, the shark sticks, you know, hamsticks, sharks sticks, same same thing, basically on a mag mount. So and those were my favorite band probably when I'm doing Poda is fifteen meters because it's quite a large band.
Speaker 1: So you know, noise, do you have less noise? I know I have less noise where I am. She's a little bit quieter, it is a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, ten is great. Ten is great for a little less noisy. So it's definitely, you know nice, but uh yeah, and I like six meters and stuff like that. In fact, six meters was open for me a couple of days ago. I worked into Florida from from southern California. Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, nice.
Speaker 3: So this weekend because I was like, you know, I wonder if she has her six meter last room going.
Speaker 5: Oh, I was going to, I was going to, but then it kind of faded out. I was going to, yeah, so and I've been trying to think about doing that again. But you know, it was just open briefly and then it didn't last. So if I feel it's gonna last longer, I'll just throw it on. Maybe I'll do it more often and people can just even see if they can hear themselves.
Speaker 3: So that's exact exactly what I was going to say. I popped on there a few times when you were live streaming and just to see if I can get my signal out here. But I said earlier, my six meter signal always has always no matter what antenna from my home location. Anyway, his favorite did be to hear myself on six meters.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that would be great, That would be great six meters.
Speaker 1: What are you using? Are you also using a mag mount shark or something for six meters when we're.
Speaker 5: Out camping the vertical, I can tune pretty much pretty much everywhere on that vertical homebrew. I've got the antenna tuner and that will tune from six to eighty meters with some counterpoise and everything. With the sharks, I've got a six meter shark as well, so I've got lots of versatility. I've probably got all the shark's legs for all those so except for hundred and sixty that would be pretty cool, but be a pretty massive shark indenta for that.
Speaker 1: Have the band I mentioned earlier. We haven't had a lot of sun spots over the last maybe three or four weeks maybe are you did you see that again again? One? And that's always from where I am in the New England area, you know, Atlantic Ocean, east east coast of of of America. Sometimes it's different in other parts of the country as well, as you're different operating times than me. So have you been have you noticed some kind of weird band conditions lately?
Speaker 5: It has been a little uh, extra quiet for six meters this year, you know, overall, I mean we might you know Elmer and I talk about it. Just seems like six meters has been extra quiet. May would have been a really good opening usually typically for six meters, and I think November maybe as well. But yeah, it's been a little more quiet for six lately then typically you know, typically six is a tough band anyway, but it seems like it's been extra tough lately.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but what about fifteen now the last month or so, fifteen.
Speaker 5: Has been actually pretty good. I thought, you know, I was on the Shark antenna on fifteen meters and I made a contact to New Zealand so from photos, so you know, so those things work pretty good. I had I was on the Sharks one time, and the guy was asking me, Oh, what what tenant are are you on. I'm like, oh, I'm just on the Shark. He says, oh, they're awful antennas, Like I've had pretty good luck with them. Yeah, so hey, if you're on the air, you know, who cares what antenna it is. You're just on the air, right, I mean, you're trying, you're there. So it's convenient, you know, to have the Shark antennas. So and then you know, with a quick release, that's it's great.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of times I don't want to generalize, but maybe I'll throw this out there. I think sometimes when someone says this antenna is horrible, Yeah, are they not? Is there a problem? Do they have a bad piece of coax? Is it not? If it needs a lot of grounding, or you know, like for instance, the Athoss, my Athoss. I know if it's not, if it's not doing something right. I go back up to the top of the truck and I look at and sure enough I didn't. I didn't mount it properly on the trimag I'm not getting enough metal on those mag mounts. And sure enough, soon as I move it and I use it, properly right, Well, you know, I hit that tune button and all of a sudden, here come the signals. Yeah, so that's what I wonder sometimes, Scott, because I know some people are very very opinionated.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it has to be you know, resonant or it's crap. You know. I think any intended to get you on the air, you know, do it, you know, whatever it is, get it, get going on there.
Speaker 9: So that's my opinion. You know, how fun that's.
Speaker 5: All it is.
Speaker 9: It's just how fun get on the air.
Speaker 3: You know. To back what you were saying about six meters being good in May, I look back through my log book filter in just six meters May, Jun and July has been the heaviest context that I've put in. Sometimes in the winter a few contexts, but.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and then it's kind of interesting too. Sometimes Christmas Eve seems to have good openings too, you know. Figure so yeah, right, and maybe a couple of things, more people get in the new little radios and everything. But also, you know, just there's the meteors. I think, I don't know if it's the leonids, I can't remember which ones.
Speaker 1: I just say that they they pop here in August, yeah, August, and again in December or early or late November, whatever it is. But I know locally here the guys always used to talk about that. Yeah, play six meters when the meteors.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's fun. I love it, you know. You know, I call SEEQ in the morning pretty much every morning. Right now, my brig is in the living room, right and I do need to remote that somehow because then most of the day, most of the rest of the day when my parents are up there in there, they're in the living room now, they're planted in there, you know, and so but before they get up, I'll spend you know a little bit of time just throwing the CQ out there on six meters and stuff. And that's when I made the Florida contact. So it's been really hard to have as much radio time as I used to. But if I can, you know, just remote, get some time to remote the you know, the radio, I've got the uh was it remote hamds on my phone. I could just put that on there. And but I've just got to get to dedicate the time. You know, by the time I get time for things, it's like I'm tired. What the I have the in the living room. I have the yesu ft.
Speaker 3: Okay, because it's the art control has do it? Okay, I don't. I don't know if it.
Speaker 4: I know they sues you have to add that extra module to give them that the server side, or if you have a computer attached to them, do you remote hands.
Speaker 3: There is a few different ways.
Speaker 5: There's an Yeah, there's another one I was looking too, because my husband's like really concerned about, you know, the security and all that having an open port or something like that. I'm not I'm not in the know of all that thing. And there's another one.
Speaker 9: How was it like ham transmit ham t X or something like that.
Speaker 5: It was another remote It was a little more secure than than remote hams. So yeah, I have to figure that all out. So got to make him happy.
Speaker 1: To well state let's let's tackle that. Maybe it's a simple answer, having a port like that dedicated, Is there a security? Is it a valid concern or you know, gag It can be because what you're doing is you're opening a port on your network to the world and there are you know, nefarious actors out there that will just scan for open ports. You know that facy the outside world. So what is it? So? What? What is there one or more solutions of how do you combat that? The VPNED or what? What do you recommend? VPN is a good option, Yeah, what you have to host it yourself. You put a server side inside.
Speaker 3: Your nee or something similar.
Speaker 1: Tail scale is a good one that's been talked about a lot.
Speaker 3: Recently, I asked, because you know there's different, right, I don't recommend any of the ones that hide your Netflix usage. A lot of those are shady.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that one, I can't remember. It's called a ham TX or something like that remote TX or something like that. That one't supposedly much more secure from what I did a quick search on.
Speaker 5: I forget which one it was. I didn't memorize it. But yeah, because that's that's been the issue, is that that port being open, and my husband's worried about the security. So and I can understand that, you.
Speaker 1: Know, guys in a chat are saying open OpenVPN or you know, of course down's going to just get a flex just just.
Speaker 5: Throw the money out there.
Speaker 3: Just Aurora and be done with that.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: So if Iran so does.
Speaker 5: The seventy seven sixty, is that one able to remote without going and opening ports and all that.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what I heard.
Speaker 5: So I'm gonna have to justify that purchase that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you can do the seventy seven sixty, and then of course you need the RSB one A or if you have Apple products, you can do the SDR APP on your control.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, so I just spend a bigger amount of money.
Speaker 1: What I get in my seventy six. Yeah, but Kim, it's for safety and security, exactly. It doesn't get classified under hand. If this is for safety and security.
Speaker 3: I.
Speaker 5: Exactly don't have to dope. And it's two hundred watts. That's what I've been missing, you know, on my radios because my ken Wood the forty eh X was two hundred watts, and that one's got some issues again. I have to send that in to get repaired. And before I spend more money again, because I already had it repaired one time, I'd rather maybe sink some money into a newer radio like that.
Speaker 1: So I just he'll be him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I read it, Joe a couple more Graham the seventy sixty. Yeah, five hundred watts, plug and play everything.
Speaker 1: You know what to do? Get out that piece of paper and write down the models and see what they what each one will offers, and at the bottom, what the cost is going to be versus what your knowledge is, what you're willing to learn to do the interfacing as well as I say.
Speaker 4: And the nice thing about the Flex is any computer that has the Flex software on it, yeah, can get into your Flex.
Speaker 9: Is that one more than the seventy seven sixties?
Speaker 5: That what you're saying?
Speaker 1: Believe they're about the same price?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, like six thousand dollars. What's seventy seven sixties?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, the Aurora is going to be close to seven.
Speaker 1: Now, I don't know because there's different models, right.
Speaker 3: There's four different configurations. But but the Aurora is changing the game. You generate unless heat with it. You got five hundred whats in the box. You plug it into one ten outlet. The power is built in, the tun is built in, so you can consolidate three pieces of equipment right there.
Speaker 5: It is not nice?
Speaker 1: Wow, nice, that's option, isn't it. That's a nice option. That is options, many options, right, five to ten is sixty two hundred dollars right now?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's all well, I mean.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe we.
Speaker 1: Ought to see if we can get a clubhouse discown Kukon going and that would help. Maybe we had a contact there.
Speaker 5: There you go, there you go. Yeah, he needs a new radio.
Speaker 4: You can get the Plex eighty four hundred for twenty five hundred dollars, but that's only one hundred watt radio.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I really want to get two hundred wats again if I can. So, yeah, I missed that extra.
Speaker 1: Wattage, but now I'm hearing five hundred watts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right.
Speaker 1: With the wattage right, Well, I wondered how long before they come out with a legal limit. So, Kim, then what do you use at the house then? For an or antenna's what do you have at the house right now?
Speaker 5: Because let's see, you've got the JIGU one antenna, that one, what is the G four or whatever antenna that one's up there, and then then there's a homebrew six meter antenna up there, and then there's a I've got a a folded dipole for eighty meters and forty meters and then I can do sixty meters on that as well. And then I've got I've made a redneck one hundred and sixty meter antenna. But I gotta fine tune that so that thing goes all around the property, in this small little property, it goes, it goes all around. Not very effective, but I've still got to figure that one out.
Speaker 1: So does you get you on the air? Do you like one sixty?
Speaker 5: I've tried. I've still got a it's the SBRs not so great. Yeah, so I'm still tinkering with that. So but it's kept for one hundred and sixty.
Speaker 1: So so my DX. So my DX commander, I can do eighty meters and I'll tune it to one sixty. Not the best still, you know, three issues. But one night I had nothing else better to do in the winter time, and I was going up and down the band bust some guys. They were probably around two three hundred miles away from me, and it was sort of like seventeen meters. They were gentlemen, it was. It was a great conversation. Some some of the topics were a little bit above and you know, over my my my understanding. But regardless, there was no you know, a couple of guys jumped in and and you know, one guy was brand new, and to me it was very encouraging. It was very encouraging because you know, sometimes on the bands it can get like the wild West and I don't like.
Speaker 5: Right, yes, yes, oh yeah, certain spot on eighty meters is like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a couple of couple of bands have that and forty everyone they're forty two, right, So you stay away if it's not if that's not your cup of tea, that's that's my grandfather always said, you don't like what you hear. That's why it's called the VFO exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: Yep, yep. Yeah, So no, but that's just what's happening here, you know, busy with with my folks and uh, trying to plan trips when we can, and so it's it's all good, it's all working out. But it's a very big adjustment for us because you know, we just became empty nesters, right and then and then my husband retired and now we're back working again pretty much. So so yeah, yeah, and we did. We cleared out my mom and dad's house. And let me tell anybody who needs to hear this, don't leave your your kids with a ton of stuff that they'll have to go through, because my husband and I went through so much stuff to get their house ready for sale. It was just incredible. It was almost hoarding like, so it was it was tough. So don't leave that to your kids, whatever you do. That's that was a nightmare. So we my husband I did it ourselves. We cleaned it out and moved things, moved, furniture sold, furniture sold, a bunch of things, kept some things, couldn't keep everything.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 5: They actually just sold their house. It just sold the about one month ago. So yeah, so that that was hard. You know, they lived in that house for fifty one years, so that was an adjustment.
Speaker 1: So yeah, did they have any hobbies, like how we have our ham rate before of us, we have our ham radio hobby, right and along with it comes a lot of stuff.
Speaker 3: It did.
Speaker 1: Yes, did they have a hobby that that had a lot of stuff?
Speaker 5: Yeah, my dad had some organs, like a ham and organ and a big huge I mean this this ham and organ was ginormous and then the.
Speaker 1: Speed they are they're huge.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah. It was in the living room and so.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Really yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So my dad when he bought that, he had to go even tected it. He put Jack's underneath the house, just to make sure it wasn't gonna sag on the wood floor. So and I'm not joking. So and then well my dad had the stroke. My mom's like, and my dad was in the hospital and my mom's like, I.
Speaker 9: Want that organ out of here.
Speaker 5: So we actually put an ad on pregslist for free because it needed some work. And I tell you, within three hours we had somebody coming from Lake Paris area to come get it. And he said, how many guys do you think I need to take this out of the house? And I'm like four. It was heavy. It was a heavy.
Speaker 1: It was like, what did the ads say? Free? Just get it out of here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he yeah, my husband wrote the ad and just what the model was and everything, and that thing messed away seven hundred pounds just the organ itself. And then there's a speaker too, So I mean it was it was these guys were struggling. There was four guys. So yeah, so but we're appreciative that he came and picked it up.
Speaker 1: So I always, I always think of myself and I'm sure I'm sure all of us here, even everybody in chat, what do we what our Ham all of our Ham Radio stuff. We're really again, what are people? I'm like, don't throw that away. Yeah I paid I paid some damn good money for or I got it for a great deal, and you're just gonna throw it away. I will haunt your ass. Do not do that, right right, Yeah, do that?
Speaker 5: You know, unless the spouse knows how much that's worth, that might be what happens.
Speaker 1: I d have fair value and listen. And I've seen a lot of times because I've I've helped over over the years, you know, spouses, and and the answer is, you know, it's been sitting here for a year now, it's got to go. I understand. And I don't care. I'm not like I'm looking to make some money. Yeah, whatever you get, yeah, I'll take but you know, and I'll make a donation, you know, to your club or or something that you guys feel work. But it's just it's very weird looking at other people stuff because you look at it and the history of that device starts talking.
Speaker 5: To you, right right.
Speaker 1: It's just amazing. Yeah, you know when you go into someone's basement and there at the desk is the radio and all the all the little knick knacks that go along with it.
Speaker 5: So, yeah, well here's so. Yeah. On a side note, you sparked my memory was there was another Ham, well two Hams here in Clarmont, maybe about half a mile away from where I am K six GMV. George Dines and his wife were huge into six meters and they kept their six meter log books paper logs for for back in the fifties and sixties whatever seventies, I mean. And there's just tons and tons and tons of six year contacts.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's entries entries to scream. Don't those entries scream to us? And then the hobby for anyone else, they're like, yeah, it's just it's just it's just paid for exactly.
Speaker 5: Somebody would trash them. Yeah, yeah, but I have them. Well, my friend will give them to me. So but yeah, it's pretty neat to have. You know that that is a history.
Speaker 1: You know, it's hard to let go because it plus you know, plus you too, you know what you've paid for your stuff right right now, you're talking about about making another purchase in the next you know, a couple of months or whatever. Yeah, and then ten twenty years down the line, you know, God forbid or whatever. You know, you don't want that thing going for fifty bucks, right right?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, my husband knows what's being paid for Ham radios, so he's not going to show away.
Speaker 9: But yes, but other spouses may not know.
Speaker 5: They may think, oh, just get it out of here, you know, throw it away, you know, or whatever, a piece of junk.
Speaker 9: It's just you know, it's gathering dust and taking up space.
Speaker 5: Get it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so no, that's.
Speaker 5: It's yeah, I can understand that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I'm dying to ask you this question. What's what's it like being on the West Coast and you fire up your radio and I don't care what band? What are you normally hitting? Are you hitting a lot of Pacific stuff? Are you hitting a lot of uh, you know, mid mid Midwest stations? For you to work me, I know that what two or three times that we have worked is it's always special. It doesn't happen all the time. Yeah, So what's it like over on the West Coast to play Ham radio? How you're and for how you're doing it?
Speaker 5: Well, I've been a Ham for what sixteen years or so or more, I don't know when, and I've had my extra for like five and a half or six years something like that. I can't remember now, but it's been a while, but I've worked all the all the continents so over time. But my my pipeline, I would say, is probably New Zealand, Australia, Hawaii, those kind of things. Japan, get a lot of Japan, get a lot of Japan, and sometimes I get a lot of Spain too, which is interesting. So I love that. So and then of course South America. Yeah, in South America, so beginning Russia lately too, so twenty meters uh, yeah, it's it's it's fun though, but I like working at night time, you know, the bands get a little more quiet and stuff like that. But with the with the sun up and the heat and the static, and I've got power lines basically in my backyard, you know, from the electric you know, power lines and stuff like that. Pigfull, so that that's you know, probably adding to my noise. But eventually we can't do it now, but my husband and I would love to move and have a piece of land, you know, and not have neighbors so close. Although we love our neighbors, we really are blessed with some really, really great neighbors. It would be so nice to have, you know, a property that he can have his garage and I can have my Hamshock with all my antennas and you know, all that good stuff with not a lot of electrical noise or hearing the dogs barking across the street, you know kind of thing.
Speaker 1: So that sounds like sounds like Kim and Larry just need like fifty acres of just all that would.
Speaker 5: Be nice, right, that's not going to happen for a while.
Speaker 1: Sure, I think we all want that, Yeah, I really do. I think we like that. I call it the elbow room. We all like that. Yeah, but not too close kind of right, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And with my dad, you know, we were really tied down now.
Speaker 5: I mean, there's no way to move him. You know, he's very disabled, so that would be a huge undertaking to get him moved.
Speaker 9: You know, in his condition.
Speaker 5: My mom she's a little better, but she's still pretty slow. Got she needs some knees, new knees, you know, and all that kind of thing. So it would be a huge big deal to move both of them. But if my mom was still here my dad's passed, that would be more of a consideration of moving away, you know. And we've already talked to her and said, hey, mom, if something happens to dad, are you okay with moving with us? And she's like sure, So, so that's good. We've already had that, you know, that conversation. And sometimes when I wake up in the morning, I'm so surprised that my dad's still here to tell you the truth, you know, because some days he doesn't look so good. Other days he's like, looks great. So it's just a big roller coaster of okay, is this the night that I go to bed and he's gone the next day, you know kind of thing.
Speaker 1: And but at the end of the day, you know what, I'm sure you're great. We're all blessed to.
Speaker 5: Have what we have, right Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, so we're definitely blessed. Yeah, so definitely. We didn't think we would be doing this at the time of life. You know, my husband and I are at now, you know, but it is what it is, so, you know, and they didn't plan for retirement, so you know, the house sell is is what they're living off of now. So and and we just if they were to go in a nursing home, that money would be just swallowed up pretty quick nursing homes are just crazy price. Yeah, it's it's terrible, but you know, some people are fortunate to be able to do that, but you know, in our situation, we can't, so it made sense to bring them here. So and now we're just the hired help.
Speaker 1: It's getting so getting back to you now for a minute, and I don't think we touched this the last time. Besides the RV, Like on your own personal vehicles, do you play radio? Do you know the v h F U HF repeters in your area are do you play Do you have anything installed or no?
Speaker 5: Nothing is permanent in the RV or any cars and stuff like that. So when we're driving, we're just driving and you know, not really playing radio. Although I do have one of my handhelds that I'll just have and I can listen to while we're right I have like earbuds actually can plug them into and just listen. I've actually heard because we have U my call sign is on the r V, and I've actually heard somebody call my call sign through you know what I'm listening to like one six five to two zero.
Speaker 9: So and then I've tried to come back to.
Speaker 5: Them, but you know, being on the freeway that it goes pretty fast. But but yeah, so if there's.
Speaker 1: Nothing really that's always a surprise, isn't it all.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, because.
Speaker 5: I'm just listening, you know. And and sometimes yeah, when we're driving, where's that radio, trying to think where it is? Oh, it's over there, but yeah it's the uh Jay su VR eight so and then you know, two meters forty and it has six meters as well. But I'll listen to two meters you know, on the the simplex, you know, calling frequency. And sometimes we're just driving, I'll here soda, you know, people working soda. You know, someone's in the air. Yeah, hear them. I can't come back to them. They will never hear me, you know, from you know the RV inside the r V, you know, but I can hear them sometimes, you know, working other people. And yeah, so we're here locals talking to somebody. I know, they're never gonna hear me with the antenna inside the RV. You know, I'm not gonna transmit through that most likely. So but yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 5: So and uh yeah, we're gonna get out again, go camping in a few weeks and just have a nice time, gonna go to the beach, gonna go to Refugio State Beach up near Santa Barbara. So enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Is.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is. I've activated that one before, so yeah, it's nice. So my favorite park, I'm a wood State Beach is closed for camping right now because they had some big king tides and just wiped out some of the roads coming into the park and so they're gonna eventually have to fix that.
Speaker 1: So I cannot imagine that coming in and ruining the roads.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the road was already really narrow to begin with, and so yeah, it was. It's got a lot of history that area, and it's i think one of the parts of the history for the EMA would State Beaches. I think it was an old World War two artillery range as well, so back in the day. So yeah, but it's it's one of my favorite places. And right now it's sadly I can't go. I mean we could go for a day, but the camping area is pretty inaccessible right now. From what I've heard, we haven't been able to go and see it.
Speaker 1: So so when you park the r V, walk us through what antennas are going to go.
Speaker 5: Up the deal is I'll make larious sandwich.
Speaker 9: He puts up the antenna, and that's the bribe.
Speaker 1: That's the bribe, right works and it works every time, does it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll make Lynch you get.
Speaker 1: You got him or.
Speaker 5: He's trained me. Either way, you know, it's still a.
Speaker 1: Damn good sandwich. Y. Yeah, this is right.
Speaker 5: So it's the it's the homebrew vertical that goes up. And if you look on my cure Z page, there's a picture of the r V and you can see on the back of the r V is the antenna, the blue antenna, the folks and then oh and then.
Speaker 9: I'm I was being pretty geeky that day.
Speaker 5: I put the shark uh on the front bumper, you know, with the magmount. So the shark's on the magmount on the front bumper, and then the other antennas on the back, the blue one on the back.
Speaker 1: So I got exactly vertical. But who cares?
Speaker 5: Right, No, isn't it? But see I'm not allowed to put the magnet mount on the paint.
Speaker 1: So is that Larry's Is that Larry's rules?
Speaker 5: Yes, that's Larry.
Speaker 1: So you gotta make you gotta make him a bigger sandwich. That's all. Throw a pickle and some potato chips on the side, come on.
Speaker 5: Right, and beer or something right.
Speaker 1: Sweeten the deal. Yeah, I kiss a kiss on the cheek. That's all it's going to take.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So yeah, so yeah, that's fun. It's I just make him a sandwich. I get the antenna put up. So there was actually one time I think we had already eaten and and you just put it up anyway.
Speaker 1: So that was it. So you're all r V and what's the radio and what are you doing for a power source? Now? Right?
Speaker 5: Okay, so the that's a BiONO battery and then usually I'll bring the Icon seventy three hundred. That's usually what I break. And then I have a backup radio which is the U Y fifty seventy, So that's the backup. And then sometimes if I feel a little bit like thinking that I may have weird troubles, I'll bring another extra radio which is the JIUG ninety just in case.
Speaker 1: Right, you know.
Speaker 5: All the bases right there, yeah, and some handhelds and stuff like that. But yeah, the power is the the the bio and no battery.
Speaker 1: So are you are you using any solar to recharge that bio and or do you wait to like, how do you do that?
Speaker 5: Right? The the RV does have solar so I can recharge. Yeah, so I have a Yeah, it's all perfect. So yeah, it's it's great, it's great.
Speaker 1: Well, Jess got the big question, You're going to go to Alabama with that thing or what?
Speaker 5: I don't have any time right now, and I would love to. That would be so so fun to do that. But you know, that's getting away for just two days is great, but getting.
Speaker 1: So let's ask you. So let's say let's say let's say your home situation was different. Okay, I'm gonna pose a big question for you. Which hand fest would you go to? First? Would you go to Huntsville, hamd Cash or ham vengein which would would you know? Which one do you think you would want to go to?
Speaker 9: Okay, so I'm guessing the Huntsville is closer to the ocean?
Speaker 5: Correct?
Speaker 1: Nor?
Speaker 5: Now, which one's the closest to an ocean? Because I want to go Oh okay, there you go, there you go. Whichever one gets me to the ocean.
Speaker 3: I'm on the Big three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably an hour from the ocean.
Speaker 9: Okay, Yeah, then I'll do that.
Speaker 1: Because and then and because each ham Fest offers something a little bit different as far as as it's vibe going so right, and brother, don No, this year, I don't think I can because we got two kids leaving for college, and I think Huntsville is when number two goes. They go at separate times, so unfortunately, I think I'm just waiting for the schedules to come out. So but anyway, I'll get there, don I will get there.
Speaker 5: I would love to have never been to any of.
Speaker 3: Those, you know, just me either.
Speaker 1: I want to experience I want to experience that sensory overload right in a weird way. Of that would be Orlando or Dayton.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, Orlando sounds good. Yeah, I would love to. I would love to.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We went to Florida back in nineteen ninety nine, but that was for a business trip for my husband and it was a back in the day then nineteen nine, and they were trying to get us to move out there with this company. And and when we saw the size of the mosquitoes, we were a little a little concerned.
Speaker 1: That's the state bird of Florida. Yeah, Steven, Joe, my put everything else aside the eyeball handshakeing. Q shows have got to be great because I missed that here in my region. I really really missed. Am I right, that's got to be great to you know, especially that first time, you know, yeah, absolutely, and yeah, Jeff said it, he's been to all three. Huntsville's his favorite. He grew up in Orlando, though, so there is that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Huntsville was my first, and that one is now just on my list to go.
Speaker 1: To every year. M hm.
Speaker 4: Because I know, I booked my campsite on my way out, if not a day or.
Speaker 1: Two before I leave for the next year. I think Joe does the same thing, right, because if not, you're not getting a campsite. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But if you can't, though, Steve, if can you stay at a local hotel and just carpool from the.
Speaker 3: Yeah he or whatever, you know, taking it at the right right.
Speaker 4: So the ham fist happens right next door to a hotel. You don't even have to walk outside mm hmm.
Speaker 1: If you want to spend the money the Embassy suite, I think it is the embassy.
Speaker 3: You never have to leave the air condition if you don't want to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could literally catch a shuttle from the airport over to the embassy and never even have to have a car.
Speaker 1: Right now, if you want to come up to the mountain where we're at.
Speaker 3: Right, and there's and there's other parts, it's just not where we're congregating at right. Yeah, So you know, if you're you're set on a bringing a camper or writting a camper or tent camping like you'd like to or whatever, Yeah, there's other close by parts.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, that would be a dream to go to one of those. I would love to, you know, I would really love to, but not not at the moment.
Speaker 3: Huntsles Just it's what's so attractive about it is everybody gets to slow down a little bit. There's still tons of of new gear and new vendor things, and then there's a big flea market section as well, and really it just keeps growing. Oh wow. But it's all inside and it's all air conditioned, so it don't matter if it's raining or how hot it is outside unless you're like me and you buy an Amritron amplifier and didn't bring no cart to tote it three miles back to card but just get just getting to to experience the show. And see everything at the show within the weekend, but then having so much time to sit and meet with folks at you know, when we get together Pavilion, or when we go out to the town and huntschool and find somewhere to eat and hang out. What I haven't been to Orlando, but Dayton. Now, Dayton is something that every Ham radio operator that everyone wants to go to any Ham fast should experience. But it's it's just so huge and anybody trying to make content or maybe working a booth or something like that, it's just so busy.
Speaker 5: So what's your favorite restaurant out there that and when you go and you're done and you think, you guys gonna have something to eat and.
Speaker 3: A Huntsville Yeah, so usually we go to a place called Campus eight or five. So that's an old you know school that they closed down and then they put several different breweries and eating places and stuff in it. That's been our go to because so many things to do in that one location. Oh nice, there's there's a lot of options.
Speaker 4: But yeah, we we found quite a number of different breweries in Huntsville and most of them have some sort of food mm hmm. But and then of course we all hang out up the state park where we're camping or in the cabins, depending on where.
Speaker 3: Breakfast you gotta go to the Blue Plate.
Speaker 1: Yes, breakfast, Wow, what's the favorite there? What's the favorite at the Blue play and eggs, pancakes, everything, everything, and is ooh, it's like the diners up there by you. Okay, it's a true diner, true diner. Okay, gotcha.
Speaker 5: So the campground there in Huntsville, does that get pretty booked up around.
Speaker 4: Those Oh, it's entirely pat but already.
Speaker 3: They allow you to book up to three hundred and sixty four days out. It's booked. If you leave and don't reserve, you're going to have a hard time getting it.
Speaker 5: That's amazing because California, I think you're only allowed to book six months in advance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, Alabama residents can book a month earlier than thirteen months out. Oh okay, so what does everyone do? Put it on your calendar as a reminder, I need to go book on this day from a logistics.
Speaker 4: Well for Huntsville, Yeah, for Huntsville. Yeah, when you're checking, you can tell me you want it again, and they're like, well you have to wait. But if you know the hack to the website, you can actually go ahead and book your stay for the next year, even if it's outside of the date range, so you don't have to wait a day. Then if at least one of your days is within the date.
Speaker 3: Range, which talking about all these tips and tricks, we will be out of it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, don't give all the Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'll literally book it as i'm driving in if I have to me.
Speaker 3: My wife used to always just get a cabin up there. And they ain't got it thirteen cabins, so they go quick, they go very quick.
Speaker 9: Oh wow, how many sites are at the park?
Speaker 3: Over eighty isn't And then you got primitive tip camping, pretty good size.
Speaker 1: Hang on, I'll tell you here in just a second. I am pulling it up right now. Jody says it best give away all your tricks and you'll be bunking with with with Jim now. Because Jim gets the single camp, single cabin stack him and Rackham.
Speaker 3: It comes down to that, I'm going to stay at the rangers. Ass Ah wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Be surprised if he doesn't set up some campsites and his front yard. They do. They have a way of expanding that Huntsville you're you know the area that you guys always go, is your way of them expanding.
Speaker 3: The building they're in, the Van Bryn Center. Yeah, Mark has talked about that before. They they've got so many options to expand in that building, they'll never run out of space.
Speaker 1: Okay. And then what about the pavilion now, which is a total separate now the park. The pavilions are what they are. There are one hundred and two campsites.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think the nice eighty five there's eighty five r V sites and then the rest are primitive.
Speaker 5: Nice. That's a decent amount.
Speaker 1: Is it fair to say? Though? The YouTube Ham Radio YouTube world exploded that area probably over the last five or six years.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Did it increase the popularity that park?
Speaker 1: Right, that's why.
Speaker 3: Well interesting that that part is popular on its own. Yeah, Okay, that weekend is we're known as the Ham Radio people. Are you all the Ham Radio people? Yes, that's that's your residence.
Speaker 5: So the Rangers are pretty well used to antennas and all kinds.
Speaker 1: Of the Rangers of Ham.
Speaker 5: Oh, okay, there you go. That's even better, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he busted us on five too.
Speaker 1: First year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh nice, wow.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, I'm looking this year for Huntsville. There are four No, sorry, there's a few primitive sites remaining.
Speaker 1: Still, Now, what is considered a primitive what's a what is? For a guy like me who doesn't know what's what does a primitive site mean? That's tenth only ten? Okay, you can bring sleeping bag two. Yeah, it's a flat. I'm picturing a what fifteen fifteen by fifteen piece of land for you? I doubt it. What's primitive? Full shade, no water, no sewer eight guess maximum two vehicles. Okay, how far away is the bathroom?
Speaker 5: You have to look that up on the map.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're gonna have to plan your right.
Speaker 5: If you need a bathroom close, you need to know where that is, you know, when you're making your reservation.
Speaker 1: Because I'm an all I'm an old man.
Speaker 4: So if I got to get a walking four o'clock, there's a reason my sight is directly across from the bathhouse.
Speaker 1: I don't like walking that far that early in the morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you're tent camping, is like hiking in.
Speaker 1: Him and I just gonna say a pit, toilet or whatever, man, can I bring it a five gallon you know, a home depot bucket with me? I mean it is full shade, there's plenty of trees around. Not saying you can, but I'm not saying you can't.
Speaker 3: Right, Mike Uhr. Car camped at least one night, Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: In a primitive spot one night and then car camp. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot of people do that.
Speaker 1: Jeff's mentioning about the deer, that's all. I'm sure the deer is gonna look at me and say, dude, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: You know, that's one of the.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 3: So that's one of the things that I do at h at the Parking Hospital because I like to get up early in the morning. Hopefully the weather's just right to where there's it's kind of foggy. I love a foggy morning, especially when you're up in a little mountain. Oh nice. But then get a cup of coffee and go walk in the trails and like ten fifteen feet away from you, there's here walking.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Joe, walk the trail. Hell, we were sitting on your camping pad. Yeah, and they walked right past us, like eight feet away.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: One year we had to call the ranger was like, hey, buddy, uh, we got a little fun that mama. Don't run off and left her. And he keeps getting closer to us and he's like, don't touch it. I'm like, we're not, but we like he's already ran us away from the picnic table. We're standing in the road. We need you to come get this thing right. It's cool, and I'm having to keep my wife from scooping it up and catching a federal charge trying to take it home.
Speaker 1: You want to think it all. Yeah, she's already giving it a name. It ready has the name Joe At that boy, the worst.
Speaker 9: Worst animal we've run across in camping, you know, is a skunk.
Speaker 5: You know. I mean I have never been sprayed, but you know, we were at El Copye Tennesday Beach one time in the lower loop and at night time there was about ten skunk just walking around, you know, at night, and we're like, oh my god, get out of here.
Speaker 1: So is oh you asked here you go. Here's your primitive campsites up here on the top, and your bathhouse is down at the bottom of the page there or over on the left loop. And what's that scale? So what's that scale, like a five minute walk, ten minute What are we looking at? Yeah, five minutes the most, and night's gonna filly five miles, well, especially at night.
Speaker 4: And if you're looking at that lower bathhouse, let me see if I can zoom in on it here. So seventy four, Joe, that's your normal spot.
Speaker 3: Right, that's where I was at last year. I'm in thirty this, you're in thirty, okay, and I'm over in fifty one. I'm gonna make that whole big old loop just to get back around to thirty.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you do.
Speaker 5: That's a decent sized park for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's it's a great park.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've seen some of the YouTubers on there, and I'll I see it's really beautiful, a lot of trees.
Speaker 1: From what I say, it's it's full shade. So don't expect starling to work right.
Speaker 3: Right, except inside thirty Burne was a little upset that I got that. Holy that's neat. Sorry.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't have starlinks, so I don't worried about that. But but yeah, I'm sure a stream from there, you know, you do want that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, Steve, you forgot to mention the buddy sits Mike and we forty nine by.
Speaker 4: Right, well, and I'm in fifty one either a ARB, I don't know which, and then Ken and Jess from Texas or in the other side of that, so they they rented out as two separate sites. But what you do is you find a friend that is coming and you make sure that you get that site with them, so you don't have somebody that's not.
Speaker 1: Part of your group. Has that happened before, it has it has the pretentious, pretentious the word.
Speaker 4: Somebody was in I think fifty one A and then this massive RV pulled into fifty one B. They were there for one night, and of course forty nine may have been the party site.
Speaker 1: So imagine those people, What the hell happened? What the hell do we picking? Can you imagine? Can you imagine the discussion of them when they were leaving, you know, was she blaming him or he blaming her? That that would have been a funny just to listen to.
Speaker 5: Most of the time, we have really good camping experiences, my husband and I and but there's been just a couple of times where we've had some of the worst experiences, and that's always because of the partiers there and they come to party and they're partying hard, you know, like four in the morning, and the police is called and you know, so yeah that that's only happened a couple of times, you know, But for as many times as we've camped over the years, we've been pretty lucky, i'd say.
Speaker 1: But when it's all about it's all about the quiet hours and you can still do your thing, kind of tone it down, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, but yeah this, yeah, we've we've seen some ragers going on.
Speaker 1: There have been some late nights at Huntsville that there there will be, But as long as you tone it down, all yeah, right, right right.
Speaker 3: They always schedule the YouTuber's forum the first thing, what Sunday morning?
Speaker 1: Sunday morning?
Speaker 3: Do they really.
Speaker 5: So people are like hung over the next day.
Speaker 1: That may or may not have happened.
Speaker 3: We don't know. We don't use that description. We're just a little sleepy, just a little sleep ye at all, not all at all?
Speaker 1: What happens after the form, you guys are just you probably want to crash around what around noontime?
Speaker 4: Right or do you just start off well, so the Sunday show starts kind of really wrapping up about eleven twelve o'clock. Final drawing is not until what to Joe, but you can tell the vendors are wrapping up about noon and the flea market starts really clearing out pretty early.
Speaker 5: That sounds like a fun time.
Speaker 1: Wow, it is. It's a great time.
Speaker 5: I would love that, I think.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: So, I've never experienced it.
Speaker 1: And it's not unusual for people to rent on r V and have it delivered to Montano State Park. There's quite a few RVs on r V share outdoors e right.
Speaker 3: There in that area.
Speaker 1: Really interesting. I did that one year. I've towed a couple of years. I'm towing this year, renting one here. Like, so, what's that?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: I called this guy up and I say, I want this r V. Here's the price. They're going to drive it, park it. I'm gonna get the key. When I'm done, I just leave the key. They're gonna come take it away. Yep, I'm sure it comes with a price, but it does. There's a delivery fee with it.
Speaker 4: But then you don't have to worry about dumping the tanks if you use the facilities in the r V. Yeah, you don't have to worry about cleaning, pulling it through all the traffic, pulling it through the trees, damaging it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, damaging. Well yeah, yeah, I can either confirm nor deny if wires got cut. You know, Well, that's what happens when you're six meters antenna is on the front bumper on an angle. It's no, that's what happens when they don't check their CEO detector left. Yeah, we looked for the fuse, couldn't find it.
Speaker 3: I found it any any time I would uh see down on my radio set it all. My wife's and there trying to take an app It didn't go.
Speaker 1: Oh that doesn't go over all. Well, now so I've learned.
Speaker 3: I've got to I've got an extension cord now that stays in the camp, and fucking run the extension cord away from the camp a little bit. It doesn't bother it.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, I will say this about transmitting. I've had an experience where my husband was out on the beach where at Silverstown State Beach, and I was on seventeen meters and he he was out by the the lifeguard tower right and he says, oh my god, I hear my wife calling c Q through the PA on the lifeguard tower. So I don't go on seventeen meters at that beach anymore.
Speaker 1: I go to other great.
Speaker 5: Life. I wonder if the lifeguard was up there, going what is going on with my PA?
Speaker 1: What is this? Because he was there?
Speaker 5: Yeah right, so yeah, yeah, seventeen meters is the one that I was going on the PA for the lifeguard tower.
Speaker 1: So that's great. I love it. Oh yeah, that one's downther Coronado. I activated that one last time I was in San Diego.
Speaker 5: Oh you did well? Did you see me?
Speaker 9: I've got like fifty activatients or something like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, so yeah, that's I haven't.
Speaker 5: Been there in a while.
Speaker 8: I know.
Speaker 1: You're just east of LA, so that's yeah. I'm thirty miles easter L A three hour run for you down to Coronado.
Speaker 5: It's yeah, it's about one hundred and nine miles to get down there, so and yeah, probably about two and a half hours sometimes. And but it's a traffic. Man, that traffic is just awful. Sometimes Sometimes we go on a trip and I'm thinking, oh, we're gonna be home pretty quick.
Speaker 9: We're not totally far away. And man, the last time we were out camping.
Speaker 5: We hit the worst amount of traffic on the way home because we left at like two thirty didn't go home until seven.
Speaker 9: We I mean, we were only like one hundred miles away, so it was.
Speaker 5: Just all day. Ever, we kept picking traffic alerts, traffic alerts, and they did a traffic break and you know, the traffic alert and I was like, and it was a Wednesday, so it Yeah, it's la traffic.
Speaker 1: But now that that's a really nice speech. I activated on the Bay side.
Speaker 5: Oh right, I know where that is.
Speaker 1: Yep, right there in the pavilions.
Speaker 5: We've been camping there forever.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, if I would have been doing PODA back in obviously it was PODA wasn't a thing. But you can still backlog. I have bazillion contacts from there and many many, many, you know, activations there. So but but it's I love it.
Speaker 9: But you know, the bad thing though, is that.
Speaker 5: They've had a lot of polluted water issues now, so it's just really too bad. I mean, it's been happening, but more so, it seems like in the last year or two. I think that from what I heard, I'm not sure. My husband said that I guess the Navy is not having their uh you know, troops practice on the beach right now because of that water issue. Yeah, so that's what I heard. I don't know if that's true, but that's what he told me. And he was kind of like not wanting to go down there because of the pollution from the water. And that makes me sad because I've swam in that ocean down there and loved it, and I mean I've had a lot of experiences there in the water. And one time I was swimming and then when I came back in, my husband said, do you know you were swimming right with four dolphins right there?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: You're like, I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I didn't know if there was really yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean he could see them, you know, when the waves curl, you can kind of see in the water, and I'm out there, you know, body surfing and everything, and He's like, there was like four dolphins right there with you. Wow. Yeah, So I didn't know. I didn't even know they were there. I was like, really, they didn't even say anything, just kidding.
Speaker 1: Card right there right right. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So yeah, Unfortunately, a lot of that pollution is coming up from south of the border.
Speaker 3: Yep. Yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 5: It's just awful. It's just awful. Yeah, I mean, yeah, that breaks my heart, really does, it really does.
Speaker 1: My cigars getting down to the end, so you know what that means. It's been two and a half hours.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys for.
Speaker 1: What did what did we tell you when you first came on?
Speaker 5: Just I was welcome anytime, welcome any time, Thank you, thank you for because I know.
Speaker 9: You guys are probably getting ready to wrap it up, and you know, and I.
Speaker 5: Was like, I wonder if it's too late.
Speaker 1: Doors always open, and I'm.
Speaker 5: Sitting here on the bed trying to like get comfortable, and I keep slouching down and so but I'm in a different room than I was and before, so, you know, because my parents are in the living room. So so I feel like this teenager again. I'm all in my little room.
Speaker 1: The only difference is the only the only difference is you don't have the telephone, right, the telephone and stereo.
Speaker 9: I bet you in there right, Well let's see there is a stereo and then my different phone.
Speaker 1: Right, different phone, different type of phone. So yeah, so well, Kim, We're glad, we are so happy. Anything as we go around the horn here. Anything you want to say, anything that you're doing, any special activations, anything going on over the next you know, a couple of weeks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in a couple of weeks, probably the week of let's see ninth through the fourteenth. I already have definite reservations at Refugia State Beach, but I'm just trying to get maybe if I can get a site a little closer to the ocean, I'll change that and it might change the date just a little bit. But I've still roped in, locked in for that beach. I've got a reservation there. Not the best site, but I'm going so.
Speaker 1: Questioning field day? What do you do for field day? Quick question?
Speaker 5: I this year I was home, so or I should say last year I was home, but just typically stay home. But in the desert winterfield day in the desert two years ago, I think it was two thousand and twenty three.
Speaker 1: I think it was so, yeah, excellent.
Speaker 5: So but this day, yeah, I don't know what. It may be a field day in the backyard or something.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, it's all good, it's all good. Joe Brett, What about you, man? What are you got going on? And that light's old? That light still flashing there in the background.
Speaker 3: Get to cut that off, but from a D sized battery, then, yeah, that's why.
Speaker 1: Actually, what this was.
Speaker 3: I got this at a I've seen this at an antique store, a little thrift store, and I said it was up on the chef and I was looking at it and I was like, I wonder if that blinks? And I asked the guy and he's like, I have no idea, And I'm like, okay, what does he got? He's got five dollars on it. I think I gave him three, talked him down. Oh wow, come home, find me a D sized battery, and enough it blinks.
Speaker 1: And so you didn't give him You didn't give him five bucks for that?
Speaker 3: Oh? I probably did. What's interesting is got this what's supposed to be a suction cup. Of course it don't flex very much anymore, but this was I looked it up and I think it was like in the fifties or sixties, it was made for you to actually suction cup to the side of your car if you like, on the side of the road broke down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, remember those days. Yeah, and that grandreno.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now they sell the little led beacons to do that with like electronic flairs they call it. That was that's the story behind it.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 9: But uh yeah, one thing, you just reminded me of your fines.
Speaker 5: Okay, so here and I should have brought it out. I didn't think of it. It's in a box here in the house. As I think, I remember mentioning to you guys, I used to be on the CB years ago, right, and that you had to say your CB license number and everything, and I said, I said, I remembered it as k B KK A two A three nine, and you know, my call or my call, like my handle back then was sweet Lady. And so my mom and dad for Christmas gave me a c B a base station because I was always using the mobile. But they had a little plaque printed or printed, I should say, engraved for me and it had k B K K two A three nine which the which was the CB license and then my handle sweet lady, and it's my mom kept everything. So that was at the house. I found that.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh my gosh, absolutely yeah, hold on that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: My great aunt, I don't remember her license number, but she went by a Sweet Mary. Her name was Mary. Oh, they always called her Sweet Mary.
Speaker 5: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they her and her husband had their license on the wall and stuff.
Speaker 9: Oh that's so cool. That's really cool. Yeah, my mom kept everything.
Speaker 5: And you know, when you have those dreams about losing your schedule from high school, yep, I should ask my mom. My mom kept all my schedules. I found them all, all of my all of my kindergarten through twelfth grade homework. My mom squirreled away.
Speaker 3: I couldn't lie.
Speaker 9: I had PTSD from going through my old schoolwork.
Speaker 5: Again, I'm not joking. I was having nightmares about it.
Speaker 9: Every time I thought I was done finding schoolwork, I look in another door.
Speaker 5: There's more schoolwork.
Speaker 1: I like a lot of report cards, I bet Oh my god, yes.
Speaker 5: Comments from teachers, and you know, just even my drawing from the dissecting of a frog. I had my mom kept that, Like what the heck?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, good times, right, Yeah, Steve, thank you very much for everthing absolutely that you did over the weekend and sharing the three sixty camera with us, and but more importantly, you know what you did down there in DC.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Yeah, the half of everybody. Thank you. Something I thoroughly enjoy And.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my dad's a bet too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my dad's a VET. He's a Korean wartime vet, so he's he was stationed. My dad was stationed Derek Cornado from fifty four to fifty eight, So yeah, he I not trying to keep you guys here, but I am. But he said that he remembers when there was nothing around there basically, and he can't believe that years later, you know, his daughter and son in law and grandson's going camping down there while he was stationed down there years ago, you know. But yeah, Timeshane did. Yeah, I love I love Silver Strand, I loved Coronado. I love that area so excellent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Steve, anything going on for this week until we talk to you next, do not have anything planned for this week. I'm hoping to get over whatever cred I got in Japan, maybe get my voice back for next week. Gotcha? So okay, very good, I got some I'm off tomorrow Wednesday. It's gonna rain here on Thursday, so that will be an indoor day Tomorrow. I'm gonna try to take advantage of maybe one to three parks if I can. The whole thing is, how early can I get my butt up and do stuff? In the morning and then you know, but we'll see, we'll see how it goes. So but that's it from here. I don't I can't remember if we have a guest, if it's next week or the following, but we'll have something going on here next next Tuesday. Everybody, be good, be safe, enjoy your hobby, whatever you're doing, whatever bands, whatever your modes. Be good guy out there. So everybody wave, say seventy three to everybody. Thank you everyone, So bye. Everybody turn a turn tower light off. It ain't tall enough. If you work him, you can work around eleven meters too.
Speaker 5: H