Speaker 1: Now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: Well on the last home standino Ebol had to be at his son, Brady's graduation and that meant a dream coming true for a lifelong Dodger fan growing up in the San Fernando Valley and a guy that earned that opportunity coming up coaching through the Dodgers minor league organization since twenty seventeen.
Speaker 3: He also has a.
Speaker 4: Strong connection to one of the all time great Dodgers and certainly a big part of Dave Roberts' staff in the video room and also working with Mookie Bets and the infielders, and that is the one and only Pedro montero akapd Thanks a.
Speaker 3: Lot for the time. Hey, thanks for having me, Dave. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Have your feet hit the ground since the other night coaching first base?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say so.
Speaker 5: It definitely, you know, dream come true like you said earlier, and yeah, I'm back to after the as soon as the game was over, I went right back to what I had to do after the game.
Speaker 1: What was it like for you to be out there? How did you slow the game down? Considering that was a goal of yours.
Speaker 5: You know, I think just my experience and you know, having been coaching, you know, all these years, and where I started with the Regismith Baseball Academy at the time was Reddy Smith Baseball Centers, and I think my experiences, you know, coaching at the lower levels all the way through the minor leagues and then coaching winterball and Puerto Rico, I think helped me. And you know, my preparation and stuff that I still do to this day, even in the video room and the things that I help on that and you know, just kind of prepared me and helped me when I got out there.
Speaker 3: I was really comfortable being out there.
Speaker 1: Hey, John Wood and all as used to say, failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 5: And you know it's something that I've been doing, you know, my entire life. And then when I came to the Dodgers in the minor.
Speaker 3: League is the same thing.
Speaker 5: And then you know, being on the major league staff helping out with you know, multiple parts of the game, and you know, I just continue to lock it in and I have a lot of time.
Speaker 3: To be able to lock it in the video room.
Speaker 1: PDA Montero is our guest. He's one of the Dodgers' key coaches. He got to coach first base the other night, filling in for Dino Ebel. You mentioned Reggie Smith. He obviously has meant a lot to so many that he has touched. How much does Reggie Smith mean to you?
Speaker 5: I mean, Reggie's a big part of my life, you know, I I tell this to a lot of people, like Reggie's like my second father. And you know, he brought me up in this game and prepared me to be a coach when I didn't know I was gonna do that, and you know, spend a lot of time with him as a you know, younger athlete high school and uh, you know, going through camp and taking lessons and learning the game, and then him asking me to come and coach after I graduated college in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 3: You know, he told me, you know, I really want you to come help.
Speaker 5: And I was by aside for two years learning and understanding every part of the game. And you know, I think to this day that tension of detail because of the things that he asked me to do, and how you know, you got to be a well rounded coach and I just you know, focus on one thing, but know a little bit about everything has kind of helped shape me to where I'm at today.
Speaker 3: And you know, I owe him a lot.
Speaker 5: And obviously I've had a lot of other coaches in my life. You know, my dad helped me, you know, introduce me to this game, and you know a lot of other coaches that have impacted me, but he's the one that, you know, it taught me the details and all the ins and outs of the game and sharing, you know, the Dodger Way, and you know, being here with the Dodgers now my ninth season, it's dream come true. And you know I learned the Dodger right when I was a young kid, and you know, to be able to show that now, it's it's cool. I was talking to Reggie about it the other day, and you know, being able to see photos of him when he used to coach first base and I got a chance to be out there was pretty special for the both of us.
Speaker 1: When you got that phone call from Reggie Smith, how proud was he and what did he tell you after?
Speaker 5: I mean, for most people that know Reggie, Reggie is a real tough guy, and uh, when he said he had tears in his eye. Is uh, you know, it was pretty special moment for the both of us, and he said he was proud of me, and he said, you got plenty of work to do and just continue to work on your process and continue to grow and learn every single day, which is something that I strive for every single day when I'm at the ballpark. Pete Montero is our guest, and his work did not just start when the season started or when spring training started. You were a key help to Mookie Bets this offseason. Tell us about the connection you made with Mookie Bets to help him prepare for shortstop this season. Yeah, you know, obviously being a kid from the valley and Mookie and I had talked last season, and you know, he said he was living in LA and you know, we all, you know, talk and I said, hey, you know, if you ever need help, let me know. I'm not too far from you, about ten minutes from you in Burbank. And so it just happened. I saw a picture of a kid that I coach and I know his dad, that at Crespy and he was at the field and Moogie and.
Speaker 3: I started talking. He was, Hey, what are you doing tomorrow?
Speaker 5: And I was like nothing, he goes you want to come out? So it's kind of how it started again. And then you know we went from three days to five days to six days a week, and uh, you know that was kind of how it all came came together. And you know, one thing that I've always learned from Reggie and you know even some other people in this game is, uh, you know, you always make yourself available for players.
Speaker 3: And and be ready whenever they need help.
Speaker 5: So that's you know, trying to do whatever I can to help this DODG your organization, you know, in any.
Speaker 3: Way that I can.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me during the off season, if we showed up at Crespy, we not only would see Derek Fishsher.
Speaker 3: But we would see Mookie Beds and p D. Montero working out.
Speaker 5: I mean yeah, I mean we were over at Mid Valley and uh, it's kind of cool just even that. I mean, I remember playing All Stars at Mid Valley, so it was I knew exactly where it was when he's like, hey, we're going here, like I know where that's at. And yeah, it was a really good uh work that that he was able to put in and focus on and you know I had mentioned before, you know, he didn't have to worry about playing at night. It was just breaking stuff down and you know that taking it one step out of time and moving on as the weeks went on.
Speaker 1: Dodger coach P. D. Montero is our guest. All right, tell us something about yourself. You grew up in the San Fernando Valley, you grew up a Dodger fan. Who were your group of players growing up? And where did you go to high school?
Speaker 5: Uh So, one of my favorite Dodgers growing up was Josevis Guy.
Speaker 3: You know that's a lie. I know, I'm serious.
Speaker 5: I remember, you know, and you know there was a couple other guys roll honesty, but I remember, even as a kid, I to this day, obviously I still wear Oakley's, but Josevis Guy, you know, was one of the first guys I saw wearing Oakley's and shin guard and you know, switch hitters short stop. So it was kind of kind of something that I came across. And you know, there was other guys out there with the daughters.
Speaker 3: I mean, we talk about you know, Mike Piazza and e K. Shout out to E k you know, yeah, it was, it was great. I think.
Speaker 5: You know, as a kid, one of my special moments with my dad is going to opening Day.
Speaker 3: I went to sixteenth straight up many days as a kid.
Speaker 5: And something to this day that I remember, and you know now being on the field during Opening Day has been awesome experience only for myself, but for my family. You know, growing up as a kid, we played so many sports. Played at Civil played basketball with the Calves, played at Silmar Park for basketball, played for the San Fernando Brace for football, and you know there's something that you know, sports taught me a lot about discipline but also kept me out of trouble. And you know, growing up in San Fernando, you know, you just got to find a way to make something to yourself. And you know, representing my city and my community is really important to me.
Speaker 3: Baseball is discipline.
Speaker 1: You also have a fire fighting background as.
Speaker 3: Well, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 5: After I graduated college, I went to EMT School and started to interview process, went to the fire Academy, went on a lot of firefighter interviews and you know, until I got hired. And again, I think being a firefighter has helped me even more to understand indians and outs, and pay attention to more detail at work, but also now here on the baseball field.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: P D.
Speaker 1: Montero, congratulations on living out a dream, not only coaching first base the other night, but being part of Dave Robert's staff and being such a big part of it.
Speaker 3: And certainly the future is bright. You're not stopping now. Thanks, I appreciate it. And yeah, the work's never done.
Speaker 5: And like Reggie always says, when you think you have it made and you know it, it's probably time to go home.
Speaker 1: And that's a pretty good teacher. Reggie Smith, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dee, appreciate it.