Speaker 1: Pepsidence giving away for Chevrolets every seven days.
Speaker 2: Listen for details.
Speaker 1: Tonight Tonight from the home of Ken Murray's Blackout the El cafidin Theater, Hollywood, Leafer Brothers Company presents to Pepsident show darring Bob Hope and the special guest l Jolson.
Speaker 3: Thanks you very much.
Speaker 4: How do you do?
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 1: This is Bob for every seven Hope telling all you people from Maine to luth be sure to put Pepsidon on every tooth. And whether you're as old as Crosby or only a youth, your mouth will never be.
Speaker 3: As empty as a telephone booth.
Speaker 1: I don't care whether I get laughs tonight or not. My sponsor can't call me tonight. Shouldn't use that kind of language anyway, But anyway, the phone strike has affected the contest for my favorite Grenette. One listener sending the jingle saying, my favorite Barnette, How I wish I could date her?
Speaker 3: She's my long distance telephone operator.
Speaker 1: Didn't win a thing. It's gonna be tough getting any messages through too. I was out in my backyard this afternoon heard one carrier pigeon say to another I don't know about you, Mabel, but I ain't strike breaking. But I feel wonderful. And I've been down to Palm Springs. I had to come back. I ran out of co signers.
Speaker 2: Uh fom Springs, bom Springs.
Speaker 1: That's an old Indian expression meaning pale face, come and stay and sun to look like red man him. Look at hotel bill and.
Speaker 3: Go home, pale face?
Speaker 1: What prices for those rooms down there? For fifty dollars a day, you get a room with the view of the mountains. For twenty five hours of the day, you get along with the view of the desert. My room costs five dollars a day. Every morning the bell boys slipped a postcard of a cactus plant under my door. I stayed in a nice place in Palm Springs. You've heard of the lone Palm well. All night the dates kept dropping out of it and hitting me in the head. And in the morning didn't waken you by ringing your telephone. A bellboy tiptoes, then tickles your toes and whispers it's.
Speaker 3: Later than you think, Yes, sir, of course I.
Speaker 1: Mingled with the four hundred while I was there in Palm Springs. They don't care how many they put in a room. It was a nice room. And the towels raw my kids hers and put them back. Everybody was there last week, and boy, that sun suit Dorothy Lamour had on. She was sitting in there with a copy of Forever Amber in her hand and the book was reading her. I couldn't get regular suntan oil, so I rubbed tech to Co number thirty on my back. It was so embarrassing, and Chevrolet kept coming up and nuzzling me. Hurry, hurry, hurry, hurry, God around, ranger, can't see anything standing way back there.
Speaker 2: Hit right down. Close, that's the idea.
Speaker 1: Close what I pose?
Speaker 4: Not too close.
Speaker 1: Let's not trample each other.
Speaker 2: Now, I'll tell you why I'm going to you.
Speaker 1: We're going to give away out excuse me, Walter, the feet above your overweight Now listen, everybody tell you what I'm going to you. We're going to give away absolutely free for Chevrolets every seventh day if I may.
Speaker 2: In around the street, buff your fucking traffic.
Speaker 1: Faith whel is announced.
Speaker 2: Leader in this pro game tonight. So hurry, hurry, hurry, say.
Speaker 1: Mister, give me a chance.
Speaker 4: I'm Wendell Niles.
Speaker 2: I told you all that's different. Stiff right up and.
Speaker 1: Tell them all about it. Yes, folks, hurry sends your jingles right away. If you want to win one of the next four chevrolets, remember to celebrate the release of Bob's new picture My Favorite Brunette. Pepson's giving away four chevrolets every seven days, and our third week's contest closes next Saturday midnight, April twelfth. Again this week as grand first prizes four chevrolets, brand new Fleetmaster, four Dorsey dans, Next eight prizes, new Frigidaire cold walls, Big seven cubic foot refrigerators, Next ten prizes Crisp new one hundred dollar bills. Eder Tonight, here's all you do. Just finish a simple two line jingle starting with the words my favorite Brunette. Finish your two line jingle so the last word of both lines rhyme. Write about anyone your husband, wife, friends, even your dog.
Speaker 2: As simple as this.
Speaker 4: My favorite Brunette is a guy named Joe. I marry the man because I love him.
Speaker 1: So mail your jingle with the top and bottom of any Pepsidon carton or toothbrush label. Mail you Pepsident Box thirty six thirty six, Chicago, Illinois. That's Pepsident Box thirty six thirty six, Chicago, Illinois. Complete rules given later in the program. Also in Sunday Papers and a Drug Conference. Send your entry before next Saturday midnight. Pepsident's giving away for Chevrolets every seven days? Isn't that wonderful about the Chevrolet?
Speaker 4: When is?
Speaker 1: Now? All that's worrying me is why that weed lip Coloonna hasn't phoned yet. What a lucky guy he is getting to meet my fourteen favorite brunettes when they get into that train, the Santa Fe super Chief and escorting them around Hollywood. Many a guy would give his right arm to be in Colona's position. Hell all hope speaking, who's this lefty.
Speaker 5: Professor, Coloonna?
Speaker 6: Well, well, well.
Speaker 7: So it's Colonna on that a city boy, It's Colowna on both ends.
Speaker 1: How are you getting.
Speaker 7: Along with those fourteen brunettes, Colowna A wonderful hope? Last night I took them all to Grammas.
Speaker 1: Theater on paid for all eight tickets myself, Coloonna, eight tickets That only accounts for yourself and seven girls? How did the other seven beauties get in? Small girls, Big mustache professor, How could seven girls hide under your mustache?
Speaker 7: I don't ask questions, I.
Speaker 5: Just have fun.
Speaker 1: Look at Colonna. I want to know one thing. Are these girls with you? Joan Davis at Detroit, Ali Lick of Toronto, Betty Louheiser of Washington, and Trapedi of New York, Ursula Halleran of Pittsburgh, Loretta Summers of Seattle, Gene Devon Chicago, resive him a leak in New York, Mary Ellen Fields Houston, vonn Lluellen and Salt Lake City, Virginia Crider Birmingham, Elaine, Barbara Patroller, New York, Betty Marlon Boston, and Nancy Norton Cleveland. Pardon, I said, as.
Speaker 7: Joe David, who laid I'm on the next page.
Speaker 1: You know, Colona, you're an idiot's idiot. I didn't know you cared.
Speaker 2: You feel pretty good.
Speaker 1: Don't you, Colona, being the only man with all those girls? Oh but I'm not naturally.
Speaker 7: My friends here, Joe Schlunk, the midget.
Speaker 1: Joe Schlunk, the midget, Who's he?
Speaker 7: He's the little guy inside the telephone who says, unless this is an emergency.
Speaker 1: Half, Hey, hey, Colona, what's that out here, I'm kissing one of the girls. Huh, you're kissing one of the girls. Why doesn't that ever happen to me?
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, I thought you'd object to my mustache. I have this wonderful game. Hope the girls. The girls line up, I close up my eyes, and I go down the line, kissing each girl and guessing where she's from.
Speaker 1: You go down the line, kissing each girl and guessing where she's from. Yes, I'll show you. Here's the first.
Speaker 7: One, Miss Houston, Miss New York.
Speaker 3: Colonda.
Speaker 7: Who is that mistakes person?
Speaker 4: To Colonna?
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, that's Colonna.
Speaker 1: He gets all the beautiful brunettes, and I gets very vague where, well, it's very vague my favorite lunette.
Speaker 3: Till it's problem.
Speaker 8: The old Tera monster.
Speaker 2: Say, that's a very pretty hair.
Speaker 1: Do you have, Miss Vegas? That brow Johnson?
Speaker 8: Yes it is, and I hope it last for Dan Johnson on next week's show.
Speaker 7: Yes, he'll be here.
Speaker 6: All lets me feel so good.
Speaker 1: I can just feel the us start to slip.
Speaker 5: Off of me.
Speaker 1: You better bounce around a little. I don't think they quite made it.
Speaker 5: Oh, bless your heart.
Speaker 8: I tell you to go jump in the lake, but with all that air in your head, you'd probably.
Speaker 1: Keep a float. Me, miss make what have you been doing this week?
Speaker 8: Oh well, I've been very said he mister Hope. I started chaperoning the fourteen favorite Brunettes when they arrived here in Hollywood. Oh my, but they're pretty ill, guest. They created quite a commotion coming out on the tray.
Speaker 1: Yes, they came out on the Santa Fe super Chief, and it was the first time the engine ever turned around a whistle.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: They really kept me busy that their hope.
Speaker 8: As their chaperone, I've been telling them what every young girl should know.
Speaker 1: It's vague.
Speaker 5: You remember, oh you marry more on you.
Speaker 1: But while you were escorting the Brunetta around Hollywood and is Vegue, I hope you took them by paramount and showed them my studio, your studio.
Speaker 8: That's right, Yes, I did miss the Hope right after I sent him down to Santa Monica and showed them my ocean.
Speaker 2: All right, was vague? Just tell me one thing.
Speaker 1: If you're such a good chaperone, how come Colonna's out with the girls right now?
Speaker 8: Colonna's out with Oh my goodness, you'll lead the Misty shows.
Speaker 1: Well, don't worry, they're safe with him. He made me a promise, he said, Hope to die. Hello, I'm dead.
Speaker 8: Well in spite of that, mister Hope, the girls are perfectly safe. I doubt some of the perfume that keeps men away.
Speaker 1: It's called burps, a perfume called burb It sounds terrible. What's it made of?
Speaker 3: That's old fashioned rugby?
Speaker 2: Well, miss fake.
Speaker 1: Don't you want the girls to have any dates at all?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yes I do, mister Hope.
Speaker 8: I want you to arrange a date for each one of them with Carry Grant during the next fourteen nights.
Speaker 1: Will you do that? You want me to arrange fourteen dates with Carry Grant?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Please.
Speaker 8: Now you see, every night a brunette will show up at Carry's home. She'll be tall, dark and wearing a black veil over her face.
Speaker 3: No, no, wait a minute, it's vague.
Speaker 1: Wait the fourteen brunettes will be on tour the next fourteen nights. They won't even be in town.
Speaker 8: Oh well, it almost worked.
Speaker 1: That's wonderful. And now, ladies and gentlemen, it gives me a great pleasure to was that one of the all time great names and Choulbren, the man who thrilled us for years in the stage and then thrilled us again in the Joseph story. Here he is himself, mister l Joseph.
Speaker 5: Right ahead, California.
Speaker 1: Here, I come right back there. I got a power, my powers.
Speaker 4: Some hours looming my pradat morning darning everything, man, everything, my god, gents, miss Dad, don't belave.
Speaker 2: That's why I and a hardy way come on that opple.
Speaker 4: That's gold that day now on y'all here I.
Speaker 5: Am, and I'm not man, I got it wrong, mourn.
Speaker 4: My friend morning that don't is thirty thing and everything my son.
Speaker 3: Ned miss that don't be laid off.
Speaker 2: That's why I and I.
Speaker 5: Only come on hoping.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping.
Speaker 4: I'm hoping up that don't n I gave down my one yo in a.
Speaker 1: Down yeah at Orange Juice is wonderful stuff and that that was the face, really.
Speaker 2: Wonderful well N's and it was Bob.
Speaker 4: You see that song is from my pictures A dopantorian. But I saw a picture last night that was out of this world twentieth century Fox Alexander's Ragtime Band, A great picture, Bob.
Speaker 1: With great muty Yes, it's a wonderful picture, you know. Al Desi Arnaz and his boys have copied the exact style of Alexander's ragtime band.
Speaker 4: Really, oh, I see, in fact, his maraca players are still wearing the same rags.
Speaker 1: I noticed that, yam, No, those are moraccas players out are a couple of rejects from Queen for a day. But you know, Al, you know, and you're singing in such a big success. Even frank Sinatra's imitating you.
Speaker 4: Frankie is imitating, yes, sir.
Speaker 1: In his last program, twice he tried to get up on one knee to sing. But it's wonderful to see a healthy singer. I never saw you looking better, and you're so frisky. Tell me how do you do it?
Speaker 4: Bob, a man just as well as he feels, and the way I feel. I'm going out and get another bowl of paplam. Really, I think.
Speaker 1: Take it easy. Al'd have a tough time burping you.
Speaker 7: I want to tell you once you look great waiting, Bob, Let's forget the joke for a few minutes.
Speaker 4: Wit here, you know something what I'd like the winner Chevrolet?
Speaker 1: Don't tell me, you said in the jingles.
Speaker 4: Sure, listen it is My favorite brunette is Larry Parks. He mates with emotions while I make with the bars.
Speaker 1: Listen to White and Niles for a second. He has the winners of those new chevrolets and pepsidens first week.
Speaker 4: Oh I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Brand new chevrolets are on their way to Muriel Killingsworth, University of Georgia, Athens, Georgia.
Speaker 4: James E.
Speaker 1: Robinson six twelve East seventy second Terrace, Kansas City, Missouri. Patrick O'Grady Sullivan fifteen thirty eight Cooleige Avenue, Wichita.
Speaker 4: Kansas, Missus.
Speaker 1: Katt Thompson three three eighth three Clarendon Road, Cleveland Heights, Ohio. Winners of the eight frigidaires and ten one hundred dollars bills in Pepsidences first week's contest have already been notified. Congratulations winners, and I'll come on you folks who didn't win. Here's another opportunity for you. Remember Pepsidence giving away four chevrolets every seven days. Enter now for our third weekly contest, closing next Saturday midnight, April twelfth. Just finish a two line jingle starting with the words my favorite brunette. The last words of both lines must rhyme. For example, my favorite brunette is my own dear wife, when she said yes, it brightened my life. Ride on one side of any piece of paper, Nail it with your name and address to Pepsident Box thirty six thirty six. That's Box thirty six thirty six, Chicago, Illinois. Send as many entries as you wish, each on a separate sheet of paper attached to each entry the top and bottom of any Pepsident cardon either Pepsican tooth based tooth powder or antiseptic, or a toothbrush label or facsimile. All these prizes each week. Four brand new Chevrolet fleet Master, four dorse edands, eight new Frigidaire Cold War refrigerators, ten one hundred dollars bills. Entries judged on originality and aptness of thought and become property of Pepsident. Non returned judges decisions final duplicate prizes for ties. Any person in the United States Territory may enter, except.
Speaker 3: Labor Brother's employees.
Speaker 1: It's advertising agencies.
Speaker 3: In their families.
Speaker 1: Act now, if you want to win one of the next four Chevrolets, and my agent get Indian entries received after next Saturday midnight will be judged in the following week's contest. Next Tuesday, listen for the second week Chevrolet winners Pepsidence giving away four Chevrolets every seven days. And here we go, Come on in.
Speaker 4: Here, come on in here, Al Alexander's rat Time band, Come on in here, Come on in here.
Speaker 1: He's the best band in the line.
Speaker 5: Hey, Bob, come here, come here.
Speaker 4: Man with that?
Speaker 3: Bob, what are you holding up?
Speaker 4: You know that shoes on the god Joy oh Son, you know that? Listen, Bob got that? I'm signed in the finish it. But that's a great song and it sends me. I love this singer song. I know you like that number out.
Speaker 1: I've her a lot of shows. In fact, I've heard on every show you hell that, don't you? You know you've been making so many guest appearances. I'll tell me why don't you get your own radio show? What?
Speaker 4: Indeed, where.
Speaker 3: The show got it?
Speaker 1: Joe, we got you?
Speaker 4: Bob asked me that again? All right, ask me that again.
Speaker 1: Don't do that. We'll have helting up here with this.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, Yeah, you've been making so many guest.
Speaker 1: Appearance to tell me why don't you get your own radio show what.
Speaker 4: And be only wait a minute, where else? Ask me that again?
Speaker 1: Why don't you do get your own radio show what?
Speaker 4: And be only only once a week that name come out? I Bobery will be on an hour, not on this network.
Speaker 1: You're not kidding you all. You know you've been out so many radio programs. I hear the other day a housewife went into a grocery store and asked for a box of Josun's.
Speaker 4: Oh they're good with mustard.
Speaker 1: But listen, Joe, how many guests appearances if you made on the radio fifteen counting tonight's.
Speaker 4: No, I don't count benefits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, Frank, what do you want more money for? You know, there's no way you can take it with you.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: But by the time I'm ready to leave, maybe Canada will have figured out something you can't tell you.
Speaker 1: I feel the same way about Crosby. But you know how we haven't mentioned my favorite for Neet for seven or eight seconds. How'd you i the picture?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Speaker 1: You don't know.
Speaker 4: After all, I was older than you, and I made my comeback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it took two of you to do it.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 1: You know, when I was a kid in Cleveland, Al, I used to dream of being like you. So I started telling jokes and more jokes. And now I'm here in Hollywood too.
Speaker 4: That's right, Bob, who says crime don't pay that?
Speaker 1: You know, I don't have to do this for a living. I can always tell eyebrowt tweezers to John L.
Speaker 4: Lewis. Bob, you won't get no call next season.
Speaker 1: We'll need it out of here too.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 4: But memories are great, Bob. I remember the first time I met you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was at the swankiest hotel in Cleveland, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: That's right, Bob. And one thing I've all ad regretted. I never got a chance to apologize if I'm not tipping you when you brought up the ice water.
Speaker 3: I remember, Oh, I make something of it.
Speaker 1: Your pocket was one of the easiest I ever picked.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 1: I'll never forget that.
Speaker 4: The time we first met, I was playing in Cleveland and I phoned down to the hotel operator, operator operator, Yes, sir operator, this is al Joseph Jee And Sinatra thinks he started that.
Speaker 3: Hell Joseon, Oh, alfy, you kidd me.
Speaker 4: You kidd me, you send me, Okay, I'd like to send you, but the elevator don't go down that far? Say operator, where's that bell boy with my things? Never mind? I think he's at the door now.
Speaker 2: Mister Johnson, who did you think it was?
Speaker 4: Sophie Tucker?
Speaker 1: Here's your suit? Mister Joson?
Speaker 4: What took you along? Bell hop?
Speaker 1: I just got to work and I have to take it off.
Speaker 5: Well you guys, sir, do.
Speaker 4: You always carry clothes that way? Yes, sir, doesn't the hanger leave a mark on your.
Speaker 1: Nose only when they have overcoats on it?
Speaker 4: What's your name? Son, Leslie Hope.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to be a comedian, Missus Joson, listen to this joke. It'll kill you. Every man has a wife, but a nice man has his pick.
Speaker 3: A fall?
Speaker 2: How was that, Missus Joson?
Speaker 5: Instincts?
Speaker 2: But stop tickling me.
Speaker 4: What makes you think you'll ever be a comedian?
Speaker 1: Well, last night I won first prize an amateur night over at the VJU.
Speaker 4: What did you give you for first prize?
Speaker 1: Two tickets for the Rivli. But I'm sure I'll make a great comic.
Speaker 4: Just the moment, let me give you a little advice, son. Show business is a very tough record. You go from town to town knocking your brains out. It's a long, tough grind to the top, and if you get into it you'll wish you were dead.
Speaker 1: Then why are you in us?
Speaker 4: The money is great, Dowd. I gotta get dress. I have a showder cake.
Speaker 1: Well, here's your coat, sir, But where's the pants in the suit? Did it have pants?
Speaker 4: No, the jacket came with a bubble. Now look, don wait a minute. Don't stand there, boy, find my pant.
Speaker 1: I'll phone down and see if the bell captain has him.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hello, oh, listen, bell captain, mister.
Speaker 2: Joson doesn't have his pants.
Speaker 1: Well, tell him to leave by the back entrance. And what does Joseph's pants look like? You only have one pair like him? They have a padded left kne.
Speaker 5: Let me, let me, let me.
Speaker 4: Talk to the bell captain. Hello, this is Al Joson. Who Al Joson? Manny sent it by Dad.
Speaker 1: I got one man's family on the wire.
Speaker 4: Listen, you run in the tailor shop and get my pants Toronto.
Speaker 3: Okay, what am I running for?
Speaker 2: My name Pado, mister Josh While you're waiting, I'll.
Speaker 4: Show you my act. Yeah, what can I do? You caught me with my pants down?
Speaker 1: Now look, oh no, wait a minute, I'll show you what I've got to.
Speaker 2: Just listen now, sing one of your greatest songs.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh California, here I come, heah, all right back where I started from here, or a bore is a flowers bloom in the spring, or these more.
Speaker 3: Give me a chance, mister joson each morning I John.
Speaker 1: Had better sing, and everything a son kissing men, said John Field. Tell me lad that's why I can hardly wait.
Speaker 4: I why open open up.
Speaker 6: That dolden gay, opened up the girls, opened up the pearly date too.
Speaker 4: Good night.
Speaker 1: About that house Dallas wonder. And here is mister raw Jos, ladies and gentlemen, singing one of Burbon Valm's most beautiful songs.
Speaker 3: Always I be loving you allway, live, I love that.
Speaker 4: Crew all way. When the things you colibe need of helping her, I will understand.
Speaker 3: All world, all.
Speaker 4: These may not be fair, all world.
Speaker 3: That's when I be her.
Speaker 4: All not for justin a.
Speaker 1: Not for just a day, not for just.
Speaker 3: A year, All world, I'll be loving.
Speaker 6: You all world.
Speaker 1: We have the love that fool.
Speaker 4: All world when the things you pull are need a helping you her.
Speaker 5: I will understand all world, A world.
Speaker 3: There's men I depair, oh world, That's what I'll be there, not plug uping all, not pack up, but.
Speaker 4: Not pug up the.
Speaker 3: B n A black I see, I M.
Speaker 1: What abody what about.
Speaker 4: All?
Speaker 1: Thanks for the memory of what Easter season brought, indeed as well as thought the good you did for each crippled kid with the Easter.
Speaker 3: Seals you bought, and we thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And thanks for the.
Speaker 3: Memory of this month that's set aside in a drive.
Speaker 1: That's nationwide to help insure a cancer cure that's bound to turn the tide. And we thank you so much, folks, the King size thank you to al Joson. Al Joson, there's the kind of a showman I.
Speaker 3: Want to be when I grow up.
Speaker 1: The showman like al Joson only happened once in a lifetime. Same in the songwriting game, you only get one Irving Berlin in a lifetime. Those wonderful tunes in Alexander's Ragtime Band surely proven confidentially paramount tells me the pictures like my favorite Burnette only come once in the life time too, and.
Speaker 3: At first I didn't believe.
Speaker 1: Look at, Paramount is a big company, so I guess they wouldn't dare say it if it wasn't true. Well that's all except good luck to fourteen of my favorite brunettes here in the audience, Fourteen girls from Oliver, America who won Brunette Beauty.
Speaker 3: Contest to spent their Easter holidays Hollywood.
Speaker 1: As guests of Paramount. In years truly, I played host, Paramount played cashier.
Speaker 3: These girls are leaving in five minutes.
Speaker 1: To grab the Santa fe super Chief, and I hope they go back home feeling as.
Speaker 3: I do that our little old movie capital.
Speaker 1: Is a pretty good burg.
Speaker 3: After all.
Speaker 1: Look at these brunettes, santhe lovely, Yes, sir, no wonder America is such a beautiful country.
Speaker 3: Next week we'll have that MGM.
Speaker 1: Chimer Van Johnson with us, And till the end, goodnight, finding you to send your jingles right away, not tornet giving away for cheval at every seven May.
Speaker 3: This is NBC, the National Broadcasting Company. Boom Bo
Speaker 5: MHM