Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the very first episode of Ologies with Ali Ward. I'm clearly Ali Ward. I'm very very excited that this is finally up. I've been working on this for so long, like the better part of a year just to put out the first few episodes. And I've wanted to do something where I explore all these different ologies for over a decade. I came across this list of ologies, all these obscure ones, and I just thought, like, who does this stuff, who studies it? Why do they study it? Like what happened to spark their obsession with this? There's got to be something. So on the list was volcanology, and I thought, who studies volcanos and why? And so I sent out some emails and I just kept hitting like Culda Sax where I couldn't find anyone to interview, and I thought, I'll find a volcanologist later. And a few weeks later, I happen to be at one of those dinner parties where you're socially just completely out of your league, like I think I brought a dip that wasn't vegan when I was supposed to bring something vegan, and people were talking about art films from the seventies and Romanian philosophers. I was unaware of wonderful people, very smart, much smarter than me. And as one of them was leaving, she's like, I gotta peace out, I gotta get up and do some campaign stuff.
Speaker 2: And I said, what, who is that?
Speaker 1: So she's a volcanologist who's also running for Congress. So I approached her and then gently stalked her and we became friends on the Internet. And then she invited me up to her campaign headquarters, which is a shared office space in the valley right now.
Speaker 2: She made me a cup of tea.
Speaker 1: I met her dogs, and we sat down and we talked about volcanoes, and she told me about lava flow and how islands get burped up from the ocean floor, and her experience with horse bandits and the best way to die. And we talked about running for congress too and what that entails, and spoiler, there's entails a lot of work. But if anyone is going to do it, it's going to be this chick who stares into the open, gaping maw of a volcano. So get ready to learn a lot about volcanoes and also have an immediate crush on jazz Phoenix.
Speaker 2: But let's get levels on you and then we're ready to go lo everyone.
Speaker 1: Hell he now, do you say volcanologists or volcanologists? I've seen you both ways. Yeah, so I say a.
Speaker 2: Volcanologists because I am an American and we ruin everything. That is what we do volcanology with the you actually in ancient times and if you think about it, Italy is one of the centers of the study of volcanoes because of things like Pompeii. The Italians their god was vulcan with a U, and so anything related to volcanoes, those folks address it with a U. Again English speakers, it's with an O volcanology.
Speaker 1: So Jess came to La to do grad school in geology and it's sort of like a'd be kind of cool, whim. She applied for a summer volunteer researcher position with the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory, because like, if you're going to volunteer somewhere, do it on an island paradise. They actually said, yes, you can come. So she was a new grad student. She wasn't sure what she was going to focus on. She thought maybe plate tectonics.
Speaker 2: I really thought subduction zones were really cool as a subduction subduction zones are where the ocean floor dives beneath the continents. And because the continents are less dense than the ocean floor, so the continents are granite, granted, is less dense, and then the ocean floors are basalt, more dense, so the basalt sinks beneath the continents and that's called subduction.
Speaker 1: Okay, So pay attention because this is the basic premise of what a volcano is. This is it, and it's followed by an egregious geology pun and it's.
Speaker 2: Pretty cool because then the sinking ocean floor gets melted as it gets hotter as it deepens, and then it rises hot things rise, so it rises back to the surface and often forms volcanoes that are ruped on the surface. So subduction leads to volcanoes. And there's there's a joke actually in volcanology and in all geology that subduction leads to erogeny, which is orogeny is mountain building. So I have a shirt that says subduction leads to Rodney.
Speaker 1: I did not get this joke, but I laughed in the Momentnydney, because I felt stupid, and I to this day I think it's a play on seduction and erogenous zones. But I googled it just to check, and let me tell you, I did not find an explanation. But I did find shirts and pins and hat that's an all manner of Etsy items available with this phrase on it.
Speaker 2: Subduction leads to a.
Speaker 1: Rag for anyone who needs to rep a lust for geology.
Speaker 2: I mean the humor it's there. We love our terrible puns, and we love anything that is well for the most part, the kind of alcanoloists or what I should say, geologists I hang out with. We love the destructive things. So if it's got a terrible pun that can be made, or you know it's going to kill everybody, we're into it.
Speaker 1: No, I mean that is one thing about Olkano's like is I feel like it's such a thrilling study because there's like a doom attached to it, Like you can throw virgins in it, it can destroy your entire city. Did you grow up being interested in like Mount Saint Helens or Pompeii or anything, the history everything?
Speaker 2: Actually, it's funny. My undergraduate degree is in history and I studied Latin, and my emphasis was in art and architecture of ancient Rome. So is really aware of how ancient natural disasters affected people? Right, So you had volcanic eruptions that really shaped the founders of modern civilization, the Romans with POMPEII in seventy nine a d. And that was when the first volcanology was done. So, I mean, I was studying history but also learning about my future career. And I didn't even know it.
Speaker 1: But what's been a really exciting discovery for you? Either an actual discovery that hasn't been made by anyone, or an epiphany that you had while you were doing this.
Speaker 2: You know, that's a really it's a cool question. I'll just tell you about the time that I actually really realized that. I was like, volcanoes are it? This is this is the most amazing thing I've ever done. There were several but when I was at the Volcano Observatory my third day on the job. First two days were paperwork because it's US government, that's what you do. The third day, my boss said, hey, we're going to go to the summit of Mount Ala and that's the world's largest volcano and you could see it looming like, it looms very well. It's not your typical impressive, straight up and down cone that people see. It's long. The name in Hawaiian means long mountain, so it's really really long. There's no way to effectively convey it. Even when I'm standing in front of someone and trying to gesture with my hands, you can't explain how long this thing is. I mean like long vertically horizontally. It spreads Hawaiian lava's flow. They ooze. They're not like explosive like the ones you think of when you think of Mount Saint Helen's or Saint Dante's Peak. They're more oozy, and so the mountain builds up over time and the lavas just ooze out and they stack on top of each other. So Mount a Loa is a shield volcano, which they named it because it looks like a warrior shield on its side. So it's a gentle slope, but when you're on the summit of it, you're almost fourteen thousand feet high. Oh my god. So to drive up there, we took my boss's modified Chevy Tahoe, which the US government gave him expecting him to take care of it. He put rock crawling tires on it, ripped off the bumper, well sawed it off actually with a hacksaw, and then pulled off the running boards, and then it had adequate clearance to go up Mauna Loa. Because you're driving over lava, nobody goes up there. But when you get into the summit of it, there's a caldera. The caldera is related to the word cauldron. It's basically where if you envension yourself standing on the edge of a volcano and you look at the royling lava lake, that's what you're thinking of. The called era, but this called era it wasn't erupting, so it hadn't erupted since the eighties. So the lavas were all cooled and they're just shiny and black and beautiful. And the caldera is miles long and miles across. It's huge. So we were standing in the summit caldera and I was sitting there on lavas that were young, that were younger than me. They were from nineteen eighty four. The world's largest volcano is still growing. And I was looking into this vent where the lavas had come up from, and it's this abyssle looking hole. I mean you look down into it and there's just nothing. And my boss said, we're going to go down there and look at some of the lavas because we might want to take a sample. And I'm like, really, we can just go down there. Oh my god, and he's like, yeah, we can go down there. So of course I went down there, and I'm in this vent on the world's largest volcano, almost fourteen thousand feet high, and I went, this is the best thing ever, Like, this is so amazing. And that wasn't even flowing lava that came later, but just the scale of it, and the fact that we're still building this planet, like we're not doing anything, I should say, humans aren't, but the planet is still alive. It's still growing and changing every day, and I'm like, this is living history and I just fell in love. Were you at all scared being down there at all? Yeah? I mean that's my problem. My parents would probably agree. Whenever I'm going to go do something. You know, I'm really pretty well versed in doing risk assessments, hazard assessments. It's been some of the stuff I've had to do for my jobs. And so I look at the risks, and I take calculated risks, But I guess my scale for what's scary is a lot different than most people's. Like I mean, I work in areas where there are venomous snakes and spiders, there are active volcanic eruptions. I've worked in areas where there have been narco trafficking roots going on. Of dealt with narco traffickers, I've had to deal with horse thieves thieves, yeah, and peru on. But you can't like put a club on your horse. Yeah, I mean, when you're at sixteen thousand feet elevation, no help is coming. Helicopters can't even get there, really, so you're basically in a remote valley and if the horse thieves come, you better hope that the wranglers who are taking care of your pack animals have a rifle, which they did, so all was well, we didn't lose any animals, But did you just shoot at the at the thief. They just had to show them the rifle because the thieves were armed too. But when they saw that our camp was armed, that was it. But you know, it's when you deal with things like that, that's what you do. That's science today and that's what people don't see. They see the volcano and they go, oh, it's erupting, but they're not necessarily thinking about the poisonous gases or the heat stroke, the less sexy and glamorous parts of doing field research. But is that kind of what thrills you about it a little bit? Yeah, because it's you know, it kind of strikes a little bit more at the true heart of exploration as it was intended to be. Right, everybody needs to do what draws them, and for me it's volcanoes, you know, And for some people it's circumnavigating the you know, the South Pole, who knows.
Speaker 1: So what is it like when you're your particular study of volcanoes? Yeah, do you focus on the spewy ones, the ashy ones, the uzzy ones, Like what's your what?
Speaker 2: What's what's my nation?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What's your jam? So really, you know, I started out on Hawaiian volcanoes and I ended up doing under sea as well, and then I've also studied the explode sorts of volcanoes too. I mean, I've done work in Mexico on some extinct volcanoes. I've done work in Ecuador on more like eruptive currently currently erupting volcanoes, and then just all over the US on the Cascades volcanoes specific northwest. So really it's a mix. And my real specialty, what I love is volcanic hazards. So what do you do?
Speaker 1: And you're the only person I'm ever gonna meet in my life going to say that?
Speaker 2: Senden you say this, But you could go to you could go to visit killaue a volcano in Hawaii. They have a visitors center there, and you know, the volcanologists are usually inside doing work or outside doing work, but sometimes they'll wander around over the overlook and you know where the public is and they'll look out and you may you may be standing next to a volcanologist and not know it. So, oh we look like normal humans. Is that you guys need to do? You need to wear some cool hat? Just make the pointy ears, because then that would make the Star Trek jokes I get like they would make them all completely relevant. How often do you get that? Like pretty much all the time. Everyone goes, wait, so I didn't know that star trek was something you could get a degree in, And I'm like, yes, I've heard that one thank you though, but no, I mean, and then I usually respond with livelong and prosper and I do the hand gesture. So that's yeah too, kind of you. You have to because I mean, hey, to people who meet a volcanologist for the first time, it's a cool thing, right, you work on volcanoes. But then you know, when you're a volcanologist, you're like, yeah, so I get up in the morning and I have to pay the water bill, right, so you know, you're just like anybody else. But it is cool and you can't forget that, Like, whatever you're studying, you love it, otherwise you wouldn't be doing it. You have to keep that joy. And that's what I think is so important these days for scientists. We have to be telling people why we love what we do and what makes it so cool. And now what gets you excited is the hazards. Hazards.
Speaker 1: So, and you mentioned the Pacific Northwest. There was an article going around last year that like the Pacific Northwest is just screwed pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like how screwed are they? Yeah? So there's just a number of hazards there. You've got tectonic hazards. They could have a major, major earthquake. We have that documented that there have been major earthquakes along the faults up there. There's also the possibility of tsunami. But then the volcanoes, which are my favorite. And a good example is we Near.
Speaker 1: Which is that really really big beautiful mountain that's just outside of Seattle, And it looks like a drawing of a mountain on a bottle of water. It's so beautiful it belongs on a beer can.
Speaker 2: And I have friends in Seattle and I love to terrify them. It's also very dangerous. It just sits there looming over Seattle. I love things that loom. It's kind of my my favorite concept. It really looms and it's good at it, and so it looks picturesque. It's covered in glaciers, twenty six of them. And those glaciers, if you think about it, what happens to ice when you melt it water? So when rainier erupts again, it's on it. If it's a when and it erupts about every eight hundred six to eight hundred years, it's been about five hundred years. Oh no, so it's considered. It was identified as a decade volcano as part of the A global effort to identify some of the most dangerous volcanoes based on the people who are nearby. So you look at the exposure and then you look at the hazard, like what does the volcano do? Hawaiian volcanoes there are no glaciers, so we're not worried about volcanic mudflows or lahars. It's not an issue for Hawaii. It's totally an issue for mountaineer. What's a lahar? It's a volcanic mudflow. When you have that, you superheat the glaciers, they melt, it mixes with the the dirt and debris, and it forms a mudflow. So volcanic mudflows lahars are incredibly dangerous, even in modern era.
Speaker 1: This is where I find out that America as a nation is rife with volcanoes.
Speaker 2: We're just lousy with them.
Speaker 1: So many volcanoes here in our backyard in the United States, we have the second highest number of volcanoes on the planet of any country.
Speaker 2: Really, I didn't know that. I mean, does that counts Hawaii. Yep, it counts Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, California, the Nevada Yellowstone or Yowstone, and Wyoming. I mean the whole Western US, most of the states, let's say a lot of the states have areas that we've had volcanic activity. Anywhere you have hot springs. Hot springs are geothermal, so it is powered by a magma chamber somewhere underneath. So if you've sat in a nice hot spring in Colorado and Glenwood Springs, for example, that's geothermal.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: I almost cut this reference to Glenwood Springs out because it seemed too specific, and then I Google image searched it and was like, like, what the place's tight?
Speaker 2: I want to go? Where are we right now? Like how good of a warning system do we have? We're working on it. So here's the thing. We can only do as much science as we have money for. And if you don't have a volcano in your backyard, you might not be very concerned about volcanic corruptions. Like see, if you live in Kentucky, it might not be your priority. Are there enough volcanologists out there? You know there there's a good number, and you know, I wish there could be more. But again, it's all about where you're going to get the funding from. That's like any science, and it's not as like you know unless a volcano has killed a family member, like cancer has killed your family member. If cancer's killed your family member, you're going to be more likely to donate to cancer research. But until a volcano kills your family member, you're probably not going to donate for volcano research. That's a very good point. So we need more volcanos killing more family members. That's my problem. So that's that's the other thing. This is my conflict. Right, So if I hear about a volcano going off, my instinct on one hand is to go, oh, my god, yes, that's a I want to go see it. And then on the other hand, I go, oh, no, I wonder if anyone's in the path of that eruption. I really hope no one's affected by the ash cloud or by the gases. So I'm constantly torn between like, and a lot of my colleagues are the same, like we really want We're like, we want to see this nature in action, la, and then at the same time we're like, oh, ouch, So we don't really want people to die, but we totally want more data, so we want to see this stuff happen. Plus it's cool, lava is cool. Eruptions are amazing to witness, and I just wish that there was a way that we could move people to safety more effectively.
Speaker 1: And so that's what a lot of disaster preparedness works on. All Right, here's the PSA from Jess. I'm going to relay it. If you live in southern California, you need to have an earthquake preparedness kit. Apparently you should have five days worth of supplies minimum for every person in the household. You should have a plan not just for yourself, but for your pets or for your kids of anywhere important who care about dying. I don't know, uh where you're going to meet on any given day of the week. So also have batteries, have food. I will tell you I do not have an earthquake preparedness kit yet, I should get one. I grew up in the Bay Area and we had one for earthquakes and it was a suitcase that had a gallon of water and I think some canned green beans and some canned Vienna sausage, because it's weird that sausage even comes in canned. But we had a can of sausage and we're like, I don't know, just put it in an earthquake kit. So do yourself a favor, get an earthquake kit in a plan. Okay, speaking of growing up and hazards, Jess is no stranger to a household that involved dangerous jobs.
Speaker 2: This is insane. My parents were REFBI agents and so it's what, yeah, so the fact that I went into volcano research is probably not that out of left field. It's like I had to do something cool. But like every eye agent's do you say what they? Oh? Yeah, what the deal was? They were, well, my mom was one of the first wave of female agents in the bureau because she joined in the seventies. And my dad, you know, he was a lawyer. Hey, when you join the FBI, then you basically were a lawyer, an accountant, or like a language expert. My mom is a language expert, so she spoke Spanish and she taught me when I was a kid. And my dad, my dad specialized with his lawyer background. He did white color crime and then he did a bit of gang task for his work, and then he did cybersecurity. And my mom was a terrorism and foreign counter intelligence expert. Oh my god, So what do they think of your career? They are, well, my mom is the one who's like, honey, get out of that volcanic event. You're going to get hurt. And then I kind of always want to say, hey, Mom, Dad, you guys took bulletproof vest to work and wore guns every day, so you know, let's just put it in perspective here. But you know, it all depends on what you're comfortable with and what you're good at. My parents are trained and using guns every which way. And my mom used to say when I would act up, she goes, I could make you disappear, and so I was a good kid. She was joking she would never do that, right, you know it was I'm like, well, actually, my parents had good threat and my boyfriends were all terrified.
Speaker 1: It would be kind of scary. But her mom's such a badass that she gets a pass from me. Speaking of goosebumpy things, volcanoes.
Speaker 2: Breathe so oh that's creepy. Yeah. The magma chambers actually fill and then release magma, depending but the magma like it's not always visible, and when it's not visible in the summit, that means it's going out to the sea. So it's like when it would inflate, the magma chamber at the summit was filling. You could see the lava visible at the lava lake there at the summit, and then when it deflates, it just kind of empties and then it goes out to the ocean. So that's called the lava lake. There can be a lava lake. Yeah, it's basically exactly what it sounds like, a lake full of lava.
Speaker 1: And I ask a creepy, horrible question, how often are like human remains found in volcanoes? Because I feel like the worst way to die we've all agreed is to get thrown into a volcano, or to throw yourself into one.
Speaker 2: This is where I get weird. So I've actually decided that if you know, if I become like, you know, incapacitated i'm old, rather than doing like you know, euthanasia for myself, you know, assisted suicide, I would just request to be tossed in an active volcano. Oh hell yeah, because because I have reasons. So the gases, the sulfur dioxide fumes that volcanoes produce will actually stop your breathing very very quickly. They will basically solidify your airways. So you're going to die from that. You're going to die from the fall, if you're the one I think of is Kilauea, because I've stood at the edge of it and look down into the lava lake a couple like one hundred and fifty feet below me and thought to be pretty good because you're you're going to fall, so you may die of a heart attack on the way down because you're terrified. But you're going to fall into an eighteen hundred degree plus roiling lake of molten rock. And so you've got three things there that are going to kill you, the gas, the fall, or the actual lava itself. And I'm like, you're assured of dying, like there will be no like leftovers, There will be no you know what, I messed up. It didn't work out right, You're done, So you don't find like human remains, mainly because everything that you throw in is disintegrated, Like I lost a pocket knife in a killawey A lava flow at one point, like this was on the side of the volcano. It's flowing through, you know, flowing over the other flows, and it's also flowing through a little forested area and that was standing there and it was burning it. Those are called kapuka which is a Hawaiian word, and so it was flowing through this kapuka and you know, it's like a lava river. I have a picture of me poking the lava with a stick because for science, you know, you have to poke things with sticks. Plus it was a cool picture, and I was like, I just mainly wanted to poke it on fire with a stick. And the stick caught on fire, as you would expect, so I threw the stick in. But then we were hiking through this kapuka like kind of through underbrush and everything, and I had my pocket, my pocket knife clipped in my pocket, and when I got through, it was gone. And I'm like, oh, Like, there was a Jack Handy quote from Saturday Night Live where he said something like, if you lose your keys in a you know, river of lava, you used to let them go, man, because they're gone. And I was like, oh my god. I had the same thing with my pocket knife, Like my knife not coming back. You would never find it. It would be just gone.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is a question that I feel like is on everyone's mind. Okay, Dante's peak or volcano, Okay.
Speaker 2: This is important, this is scientific too, all right, My opinion is scientific in this case, but it's not representative of the scientific community as a whole. So yeah, I have to say that disclaimer. So Dante's Peak has Pierce Brosnan plus, that's good. It was vaguely more scientific. Although you still cannot drive a car into an old mind shaft to escape a pyroclastic flow or it doesn't work. It doesn't work, so that one kind of breaks apart too. But they at least tried to give it some sort of semblance of credibility in in volcano so that the tar pits, the LaBrea tarpits cannot and will not erupt, especially not with magma. Like the tarpits are related to what we get oil from, like it's it's dead dinosaur bones, you know, like it's plant matter, you know, it's not. It's a completely different, different thing like rock. It's like saying pudding is the same as cheesecake. No, they're not. They're two different things. They're both dessert. They're two different things. So you know, like like volcanoes and tarpets, there are both holes in the ground, I guess, but that's about where the similarity ends. So the tar pets, though, when they you know. Okay, let's say it was volcanic, right, If a volcano were to erupt in la that'd be amazing. But if it happened, you cannot stop lava with a Jersey barricade, those concrete barriers, and you definitely cannot stop it with a bus. Buses do not stop lava flows. I'd like to debunk that one here and once and for all. And yeah, I mean bus would melt. Yeah, it would just be it would be eaten, I mean just eaten. And so the lava because it's solidifying as it's cooling. There's a cool sign in Hawaii Volcanos National Park by where lava flows overtook a road. The sign says no parking, and it's buried like up almost to the sign itself, like the whole the stand for the sign. The pole is covered like several feet of lava flows and then there's just this sign sticking out that says no parking. So it didn't you know it. The metal pole is now part of the rock. Like it's my god, those flows were cool enough that you know it's it's still you know it's in there, but you know, anything else you toss into lava is going to disintegrate. But the cool thing is human remains. Because I was a history major, so I geek out on any of the human interactions with the volcanoes. You will find petroglyphs around, you know, volcanoes. You will find that the ancient Hawaiians Native Hawaiians buried people in lava tubes. So they were the where the lava had flowed through and then there was this empty tube of rock. That's they where they buried their dead. I mean, they don't have like nice, big dirt plots where you can put people in. That's how they did it. So you don't go into lava tubes, if your tourist in Hawaii, don't do it. Don't go into lava tube except for the ones that they've set up for the public, you know near the volcano observatory. That's okay. Is it like walking through an open graveyard. Yeah, it's basically desecrating somebody's ancient family members. So you don't do it. And then the same thing, Well, in Chile, there's a volcano there that people may have heard about. They've found mummified remains of kids up there who were sacrificed, and they were basically drugged and then led up to the summit because it's very high, and they died of exposure and they were mummified. But one of them was struck by lightning too, which was crazy. But you find them on volcanoes and around volcanoes, but definitely never in because I mean, the lava just melts. Yeah. Wow, So there's so is there like an anthropological part of your job too, Not technically, but if I were to, like depends on what you're doing. Really, I because we've worked in so many places around the world, I try to be really sensitive to the local cultures. You don't want to be disrespecting somebody's long held beliefs, even if it's a culture that's no longer there, mainly because you could be ruining some sort of historical artifacts too, and it all has value to understanding the world around us. So I love learning everything. And they're a scientists who are more focused and more specialized. But for me, I mean, if I'm in an area that has an extensive history of the locals interacting with the volcanoes, then it makes it extra interesting for me, and I like to learn the historic names of mountains, for example, Crater Lake in Oregon. It was originally called Mount Mazama and it was considered I believe, and somebody will correct me if I'm wrong, because it'll be on the internet. Mount Mazama was. I think it was considered a deity or the home of a deity by the local indigenous people. So, but Mazama blew everything. It blew its top off, essentially, it collapsed and spectacular eruption and uh and that that massive crater you see, like if you actually were to draw a line from where the crater walls are up to a peak, like, that's how big Mazama was. God, So it was much bigger.
Speaker 1: And Yosemite is or not Yellstone and Yellowstone is essentially just one big volcano.
Speaker 2: Oh Yellowstone is Yeah, Yellstone's crazy. That's those are super volcanoes. That's there's actually what they call them. So, you know, thank you BBC for popularizing that with the Supervolcanoes pseudo documentary. It was fictionalized, but it did have a lot of good science in it. So people want to see something that's more accurate but still cool than Volcano or Dante's Peak. Check out super Volcanoes by the BBC because that is cool. They have a lot of good science in there, and it explains that Yellowstone is massive. And vulcanologists have a scale called the VEI index. It's the Volcanic explosivity Index, and it goes up to an eight, and Yellowstone are ups at an eight. Whoa and zero is the Hawaiian eruptions. No, it's a zero. Mount Saint Helens was, I think, and I'm gonna I see I forgot my Saint Helen's trivia, but it was pretty low. It was like a three or four, and Yellowstone is an eight. Yeah. When Saint Helens erupted, people didn't know that volcanoes could erupt laterally on the side.
Speaker 1: Oh right, yeah, because it really it was almost like a projectile vomited ash.
Speaker 2: A landslide triggered the eruption. So it was the largest landslide on record, and it basically a whole chunk of the mountain slid off and it released the pressure on you know that was going on, and then the eruption came. So know that. Yeah, So it was a landslide that triggered the eruption and then it produced pyroclastic flows. It was crazy. But until that point. We didn't know that volcanoes could do that.
Speaker 1: Just a side note, I looked it up. Hyroclastic means relating to or consisting of fragments of rock erupted by a volcano. Mountain Helens is also a stratovolcano, which is also called the composite volcano, and this means that they're made up of strata or layers of ash and lava. These kind of volcanoes tend to be the conical, pointy, iconic ones. They're also the most deadly and a few examples of stratovolcanoes are Mount Fuji in Japan, There's Krakatoa in Indonesia, Italy's Mount Vesuvius. These are like the celebrity strato volcanoes. Okay, back to Yellowstone.
Speaker 2: And Yellowstone is an eight. Yeah, I was going to go to Yellowstone. You can go, I mean, so here's the thing. We're not going to die. No, So this is this is what I tell people. I mean, you can if you go into pools like the superheated right, don't go in those pools, people. I could get bored by a moose.
Speaker 1: I mean, who knows, yeah, exactly, so by a moose rather yeah, or you know, I could never be bored by a moose.
Speaker 2: I was just talking about riding a moose the other day with somebody. I don't know it's it's been it's been a week. But so Yellowstone is is what's It's basically a called era. So it's a giant called era, like the like the summit of Mount a Loa, but bigger. And so it's a huge, huge, massive magma chamber underground and calderas are crazy because if it's an old one, people might not even know it's there. A good example is Long Valley called Eera, which most people have never heard of that they don't know what it is, whereas that it's right near Mammoth in California, and there are hot springs near Mammoth, A lot of people who've been up there skiing will know that the Long Valley caldera had an ancient massive eruption similar to Yellowstone, not quite as big and and if you're driving through it, you wouldn't know you're in a volcanic called era unless you look at the rocks on the side of the road. It is like thirty feet thick. I think of ash that was deposited from the volcano, and you'd have to know you were looking at volcanic ash. So it's it's cool when ash falls. Ash is rock when you're talking about volcanic ash, it's pulverized rock. So you've got magma. Magma is essentially the rock and it's molten. It's like a plastic solid. So it's underground. It's really hot, so it oozes. When it builds up under pressure. The volcanoes actually explode, you know. But if the rock breaks into tiny, tiny, tiny pieces, it's volcanic ash, and that is what causes airplanes to have problems. And you know when the Icelandic volcano erupted a few years ago. That's why it was such a hazard. Is you've got fine rock particles that will jam your plane engines, so and you can't breathe that in like so you know, if you're if you're around an ash rich eruption, you want to put a bandana on because it actually will you know, you'll breathe in this fine rock and that will shred your lungs, like you don't want that. Well, why the hell do chinchillas have to bathe in volcanic ash? Where Where did chinchillas get this idea? Yeah? You know what, it's just about their environment. They're adapted to the environment and there's that really fine ash that is around where they're from in South America, So they're really cool animals.
Speaker 1: I like, I used to have one, really and did you have to did it have to roll around a volcanic ash?
Speaker 2: It's finely ground pummas, which is like really it's it's what we call it vesticular, but it basically vesicles are like little airholes, right, air bubbles, and so when gas is trapped in rock, it forms vesicles. So if you have really highly vesticular rock, we call it pummush And that's what the pumma stones that you use on your on your fever their actual, like if you get a real one, it's an actual rock from a volcano that you're using to scrub your dead skin off with.
Speaker 1: Whow I have another pop culture volcano custure. Okay, did you see that weird Pixar short that was before Inside Out?
Speaker 2: Yes? What the fuck was that? Like?
Speaker 1: Okay, so there's like a big man volcano who's really lonely and then suddenly, like a hot young volcano erupts next to him. All right, So there is a short Bypixar called Lava, and boy Howdy did it ruffle my feathers. It is about a horny volcano who really wants a woman, and he just hangs out, getting older and grosser the entire short, and he's thirsty as hell for a hot lady and she finally erupts from the ocean floor and then they live happily ever after, and it's like, just chill out, dude, Your life is fine. Your life is fine. Why do we have to teach everyone that they need a life partner. You can be a volcano in the ocean, but I'm sorry, if you don't have a plus one to a wedding, you're a piece of shit. I don't think so volcano Lava. Also, I live in Los Angeles. I don't need to see a volcano looking for a younger, hotter Instagram model equivalent of another volcano. I see it everywhere I go. I see it in the White House. We don't need it in volcanoes. Also, if she sprouts up next to him, I feel like they've come from the same magma chamber, perhaps under the seafloor. Does that mean that he's just fallen in love with his conjoined twin, but who is much much younger.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I get that subduction leads to erogeny, we know that, but I don't want to think about this volcano having a chub and needing to rub it on someone.
Speaker 2: I don't need that. I don't like it. Pixar, I love you.
Speaker 1: You make me cry all the time and it hurts, and I love it. This one mm And if you worked on this, I'm sorry because you're probably legitimately a really good person.
Speaker 2: This it just was.
Speaker 1: It was a miss for me, all right. So when they're not crooning about get in some tail, what are volcanoes sounding like? I had never thought about this. Jess had joined a research scientist named Jeff Johnson from Boise, Idaho, and they recorded some volcanoes. They laid down some hot tracks.
Speaker 2: So when you record a volcano in infrasound, you then have to bump it up so we can hear it in the playback. And we listen to some of the playback and it's like the volcano goes all all and it's it's guts are talking.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Does it sound like a demon? Yeah? Actually it really really does like exactly what you think of volcanoes. Sounds like deep inside it's magma chamber. It sounds like that, but at the surface too. This is another cool fact that unless you go stand above a lava lake, you won't know this, but it sounds like a guy banging a hammer, like a big, big, big hammer. It sounds like crashing metal, and what it is is the rocks breaking. But it sounds like. You can totally see where the ancient Greeks and Romans got Fostus and Vulcan guys who are underground banging out tools on a forge.
Speaker 1: If you're like, who's hast fascifas or whatever? FYI googled that. Also, that is the Greek god of fire, metallurgy, volcanoes, and he was the blacksmith of the gods. So apparently he was a god who was also a blacksmith to the gods.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know how that works. I don't know if they had unions or do gods even need jobs, it'd be like, yeah, I'm I'm the god of volcanos, Like I don't need to be working on anyone's iron gates as like a side hustle anyway has a facipus.
Speaker 2: It's the Greek pronunciation. It sounds like that, really yep, So there's a legit place that came from. Why does it sound metallic? I wonder, you know, it's probably has something to do with the gas and you know, the rock ratios to each other or something. You know. I'm not a sound expert, so there's probably a soundologist in here who knows the answer to that. But the other scientists and I when we were standing above the Lava Lea because for my first time standing there and for some of them it was our first time standing there too, and we're sitting there going like this is amazing, Like we're hearing volcano and not just you know, ron it's an eruption, but you're actually hearing the sound of rock breaking and small explosions. And that trip was really interesting, that first trip to the summit there of Kilauea, when the new eruption that's going on right now had first started. I was there like a month after the eruption began, so I was prime time for you know, setting up cameras and things. So I helped set up the first webcam that was overlooking the lava lake there at the Volcano Observatory. It was part of a team doing that and our boss for that, Tim, he's at the HBO now, Tim Or he's a great scientist. You know, we're sitting there working and we're starting to set the camera up and wearing hard hats and we're wearing high visibility shirts that were bright orange and work boots, and then we had a respirator. We weren't wearing the respirators or hanging around our neck, and then we of course put them on and go lukeuy, I'm your father. Take them off again. But but you know, Tim was talking to us we're about to start working. He goes, Okay, if you hear a big explosion, you just run, drop the equipment, just turn and go. And we're like okay. And we're sitting there looking at these little lava bombs that are sitting all around us. And that's exactly what it sounds like. It's a piece of rock that's been ejected out of the volcano. And I mean these things range in size from like a quarter all the way and they can be smaller than that, but like a quarter size thing up to you know, something the size of a refrigerator can come out of that. I mean, weren't any fridge sized ones when I was there. But are they hot? Lava When they come out, they're hot, but then they cool really quickly, and they cool as they're flying through the air too, so you get some cool formations and lava bombs that look like spindles, like they're twisted or they're elongated, and it's pretty neat. But so we're seeing these lava bombs. The closest ones to us were probably, you know, twice the size of a football, so they're like, you know, good size, and you know your heart hat's not going to do anything right. And if the plume of volcanic smog, which is called vogue, if the vog plume shifts, the respirator's not going to help you for more than like thirty seconds or a minute, so you need to get out. So you know, TAM's making all this very clear. And you know it's a calculated risk, like you calculate the wind direction, you figure out like how active has it been, You look at the situation. When you're there, you're not just stupid, you know, you run and you want to live. Otherwise your data is no good. No one knows what it is. Right, So we're about to set the stuff up and Tim goes, you know, there's a very real possibility that we could die. And I said, I looked at the volcano. Looked at Tim. I looked at the volcano, and I said okay. And then he goes, okay, hand me that wrench and we got to work. And that's the thing is, you just have to be aware and you have to know what you're doing, and it's always a calculated risk because I mean volcanologists, like we're all well educated, we all have families, We want to go home, you know, like we're not out there because we're crazy thrill seekers, but we understand that in order to get some of this information, some of it can be done with satellites, some of it can be done with sensors, and we're making strides in that every day. But you still have to have people on the ground, like actually walking up to it and going, h what do we see here? And you have to have people sampling this stuff. We don't have. I mean, if you try to send a drone over a volcano, drone battery life is like what fifteen minutes and you know, electronic equipment corrodes all pretty quickly in high sulfur dioxide areas, and even even the parking breaks, the breaks and the rods on the cars that the staff at the Volcano Observatory US have to be replaced about every six months because they just corrode so much more quickly because of the volcanic concentrations. Would have thought of that at all. Yeah, no one realized that until the Summit interruption started in eight on Kilauea, and then people were starting to have to replace their breaks in the government vehicles like constantly, and it was well, must be the vog. So the vog I've never even heard that. Yeah, so it's I mean, the vog plume can actually be hazardous to people's health. So the good thing is most people on the Big Island of Hawaii, the vog plume goes south around the bottom of the island, so there's not a lot of people that live there relative to other parts of the island, like Hilo never gets vog, but Kona, on the west coast, the vog wraps around the south and then comes up the coastline. So in Kona you can have foggy days and everyone's like, vog did you make that up? I'm like, some volcano scientists made that up. You know, vog is a thing. It's a real Like if I say vog, any volcanologist knows what I mean.
Speaker 1: If you go to Hawaii and you want to see a volcano, is there like a good helicopter tour you should be hip to?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what there's I think it was Blue Hawaii was the one that that I just for this latest discovery shoot we used because the USGS, we use a different guy heat contracts just with the USGS. But I think Blue Hawaii is very very good, okay, and we had a good experience with them. We also got to fly for three hours. Most tours are not that long. Which which volcano was it? That was Kilauea, Okay, So and you know, you don't really go up too much around mounta Kea or Mauna Loa because they're so high and it's hard to fly at that altitude because they air so thin. So I think there probably are tours that do it, but you know, definitely Kilauea, like it's spectacular. If people, if you can afford that helicopter ride, it will be a defining moment of your life. And I say this not just as someone who geeks out on volcanoes, but you're human like and even if you can't afford the helicopter ride, if you can get yourself to Hawaii, and I don't care if you have to, like I don't know, hitchhike your way onto an airplane, but you should. Everybody should go, even if you just drive up to where the lava is flowing into the ocean or where at night, where it's flowing down the coastline on the land. You should see it because there's nothing like watching New Earth being born. I mean, it's spectacular, awesome, and it really puts you into perspective as a person. You're like, this is the planet forming itself right now. And now now you are busy as a volcanologist, but you're also running for congress. Yes, can we discuss that? Yeah? Sure?
Speaker 1: Now what district are you running for Congress? When is the election? And tell me a little bit about what inspired this.
Speaker 2: Sure, So I'm running in California's twenty fifth congressional district that's in La County, but also a little bit is Inventory County. It's a really big district. And then was the second part, why am I running? Or yeah, yeah, Okay, So I decided to run mainly because of Trump's election. I was really concerned about the fate of science and scientific research and environmental protections under the Trump administration. And you know, not just because of Trump, but before that, we saw that the Republicans in Congress, a lot of them are climate change deniers, which is weird because the experts in the field there's overwhelming evidence supporting this. In the face of evidence, I don't understand why people well, I mean, I do understand because there are financial things at play here, but it doesn't make sense that we keep scientists on the back burner of decisions that we're making. And you know, I do have a background studying history and government, and I went to a liberal arts college. I got a great education and a lot of things. Plus I worked for the State of Arizona. I've you know, my parents are in the FBI. I have a good sense of how government functions and why. So really, what I'm new to in this is actually running. It's going, oh my god, I'm a candidate, But I really think that we need people who look at all the available evidence on any issue, any issue, not just science issues, but you know, social justice issues, human rights, issues of jobs at taxes, on all those things. You need to look at everything that's available to you and then look at the different groups who are affected by it. Way all of that evidence and use your best analysis, get information from experts if you yourself are not an expert. That's what I do in my job. So yeah, I mean the last four years I've been working really hard to make a difference in the environment and the future and for students, but it wasn't enough. So you know, I'm like, Okay, if I can get elected to Congress, I can advocate not only for the environments and education and science, but also for a bunch of other issues that are really important to people and affect them every day. You can't do good science if you don't have good health care, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's also true, yeah, because so you'll have a disease and no coverage and you don't have to throw yourself into a call there.
Speaker 2: Or you'll have a lot more asthma because your err is really polluted because it's no longer regulated by the EPA, and air quality will go to hell and your kids will all have asthma, and so will you. It'll be fantastic. I love that You're like hazards. That's my deal, all the hazards. Yeah. So, I mean it's like, that's what I've been trained to do in my work is basically, look at a situation, analyze it. Where the hazards? How can we mitigate them or how can we avoid them or fix them? Right? Like, that's I'm a problem solver. Scientists are creative problem solvers, and I think that would be really good to have in government. So you've got another what year and a half, yes, year and a half. It's a whild November twenty eighteen. Oh my god, so long, it'll come before you know it. I know you say that, But then you're not having to call people to ask for donations. Also very true.
Speaker 1: I imagine that's probably harder than like scaling volcanoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when your friendly neighborhood volcanologist says I'm going to run for Congress, you usually pick up the phone, which is pretty cool. So people do want to talk to me, and people are excited, but man, it takes a lot of effort. Well, people seem very jazzed about the notion of a volcanologists also being in government. I mean I put out questions, are you ready for the rapid fire around?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So I put out questions. I said, I'm interviewing a volcanologist who's got questions. I got a billion of them, Rosie. So I'm just going to go through them. We'll answer them as fast as we can. Okay, I will do this. Okay, ready fast. I'm like like limbering up here.
Speaker 2: Okay, crack your neck, h got it, it does crack. Here we go.
Speaker 1: John wants to know hottest recorded temperature of lava.
Speaker 2: Well, on the surface, eighteen hundred is pretty standard. Eighteen hundred fahrenheit. Okay. John wants to know Dante's peak or volcano, Yeah, volcano or sorry, volcano for comedy, Dante's peak for more legitimacy. Cool.
Speaker 1: Steven wants to know what exactly is a dormant volcano.
Speaker 2: Ah, so it's one that's not currently erupting, but it has erupted in the past and it will erupt again in the future.
Speaker 1: Okay. Michelle wants to know how close can I get to lava before I catch fire?
Speaker 2: Well, I've been right up to it. And I've sampled it with a rock hammer for scientific purposes. You can walk up to it, but you can feel your eyes dehydrating as you go. It's three times hotter than your hottest setting on your oven. Oh yeah, so go stand by your oven for a few minutes and tell me how you feel. But don't put your head in it. Don't put your head in it. Do not play with ovens. Children, if any are listening, good.
Speaker 1: To know solid advice. Nadel wants to know if you've said a drone in so.
Speaker 2: You can't send them into the lava, but you can use them, and they're being used more and more to monitor volcanos. There's a group of guys forget the name of their project. I'm so sorry, but they're going all up and down South America recording drones or using drones to do gas geochemistry recordings of volcanoes. We're sponsored by land Rover. I'm sure you can find them online. Ps.
Speaker 1: I looked this up and it's on a website called Trail by Fire dot org. It's amazing. It's like looking directly into Satan's butthole. Ten out of ten.
Speaker 2: Okay, back to questions.
Speaker 1: Diana wants to know where are the best lava tubes in the world, But now I'm worried that they're all mausoleums.
Speaker 2: Well not all of them. You can walk in them in Hawaii. There's a pretty spectacular one in South Korea that I've heard of. I've never been there, but I would say, you know, the easiest ones for people to go see are the ones in Hawaii that are already okayed for you to go in. So I don't know about all cultures in terms of how they treat their lava tubes, but definitely just be cautious, maybe do a little checking with the local government if there's any regulations about going into them or not.
Speaker 1: Right, you don't want to like accidentally invite a hex on you.
Speaker 2: No, And plus some of them the roofs aren't stable, so you could actually have a big chunk of lava roof fall on you, and you don't want that either. So there's no way to tell either, Like if you or I just walk up to it, you don't know if it's stable or not. So be careful if you're going to go into a lava tube, and you know, check around, make sure you do your due diligence.
Speaker 1: If I ever won a lava tube and it collapsed on me, I'd be just like, leave me here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why not, right, it's a burial ground already eased in Hawaii. And then no one come and like duck in here and pee on me later. You know what I mean? Just don't do that. Yeah, definitely don't pee in any lava tubes. If you can avoid it, hold it in a lava tube. That should be our lesson for the day. Avoid being in a lava tube. I've slept in one, but that was a special case. It was I was given permission by my part native Hawaiian boss, and it was creepy. I didn't sleep super well. It was on the side of Mount a Loa at nine thousand feet high and we were hiking down doing a survey and it was pouring rain and I was like, where were we going to camp because we were going to pitch a tent. And Frank was like, there's a lat of tube, getting the lava tube and I was like, but the Native Hawaiians and he goes. Haley says, it's fine, get in the lava tube. Have crazy dreams. I did. I was nightmares all night and I woke up in the morning. It was a beautiful sunrise, but it was oh my god, it was so uncomfortable. So I don't recommend it either. Okay, well I'll cross that off my bucket. Lest Yes, we do go peer inside, but don't go don't go sleeping in it.
Speaker 1: Greg wants to know how much has climate change affected volcanic activity, and also vice versa, like how much can you know? There's this notion that volcanoes are responsible for climate change.
Speaker 2: They are not responsible for it, but they contribute to it. So volcanoes, when they erupt, they can actually affect weather for a year or two at a time if it's a big enough eruption. And we saw that Tambora can do that. Krakatoa, you know, I mean the one in Iceland affected things because it's releasing volcanic ash into the atmosphere. It's particulate matter and sulfur dioxide, which contributes to the greenhouse effect. So when gas and tiny rock fragments are floating around in the stratosphere or I don't know if it's technically the stratosphere. Polease forgive me the sphirit people. Oh my god, I'm trying to be technically correct.
Speaker 1: So according to National Geographic volcanic ash and gases can sometimes reach the stratosphere, which is the upper layer in Earth's atmosphere, so we're good checks out.
Speaker 2: Anyway, when it's released really high up, we'll go with that. You know, that stuff hangs out there and it insulates, so that can actually either block Sun's rays and you know, insulate that the warmth so the area stays cooler, which is what happens, which we see that a lot, or it can contribute to gases being trapped and then that increases the greenhouse effect. So the volcanoes contribute to the climate. However, people have said maybe the rising sea levels are causing increased volcanic eruption activity. I haven't seen anything to substantiate that that I believe in just yet. I need better evidence if I'm going to think that there's sea level rise volcanic eruption frequency correlation. But for now, I would say volcanoes affect climate. Climate does not affect volcanoes.
Speaker 1: Okay, so good to know. Yeah, oh yeah yeah. Chris asked if you really drop your keys and lava, should you forget them because man, they're gone?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh, my god, Chris, you win, Jack Handy quote for the win. But yes, yes, keys, pocket knife, cell phone. It's gone. It is gone. It is so gone.
Speaker 1: Don't even try to fish it out. It will never come back. Just say goodbye. Then final rapid fire question. Ethan wants to know when will we finally be swallowed by the molten wrath of a super volcano that's freeing us from this pain called earth.
Speaker 2: Well, we can remove ourselves from this mortal coil by volcano any potential day, but the low, the probability is actually low on any given day. So Yellowstone, while yes, it erupts about every six hundred and forty thousand years based on our records, and it last erupted six hundred and forty thousand years ago, meaning we're quote unquote do heavy air quotes there, because you know it's plus or minus a lot of thousands of years. So human life spans, what are they like seventy five eighty Now we're in the US, Like the odds of us being alive when Yellowstone again are super low. Plus it's the activity there is not worrying anybody right now. If you want to worry, just worry about Renier worry about all your friends in Seattle and Tacoma. Yeah. By the way, side note, I thought it was pronounced Mount Renier. Oh many years. I had just never said that word aloud. Yeah, because why would you write, I don't know relevance. Yeah, we're near still. I mean, I've had, you know, tons of my colleagues work on the one in Iceland that erupted, which I'm not saying on purpose because I cannot remember how to say it properly. There is a proper way. My colleagues, you've worked on it, they know how to say it. I don't, so apologies there, But the other ones, like I worked on El Revent in Ecuador, which is a nice aculpture. Yes, the eruptuor so or you know, the exploder, depending on which translation you're using. But yeah, they have cool names.
Speaker 1: What is the one in Icelandic? What does it mean in Icelandic? I feel like it's also just all j's and k's, and I don't know there's a right way of saying that, But no, I don't actually know what it means.
Speaker 2: I don't know. And that's the thing. Never trust a scientist who's afraid to say that they don't know.
Speaker 1: So I looked it up because I was curious how you say it, and it's really easy.
Speaker 2: It just sounds like this he y a yeah, lef yo yeah.
Speaker 1: Just kidding. Who can say that? No one, I bet Yorke doesn't even know how to pronounce that. But it apparently in Icelandic it means islands, mountains, ice cap, which is so on the nose. But it's such an insanely long word that it's oftentimes referred to as just E fifteen, which is apparently a thing called a neumeronym. That's when there are so many letters. There are fifteen letters in this word, so they just put an E on it fifteen. But other neumeronyms are like K nine for K nine unit like dogs y two K is a newmeronym and shout out to my buddy joanah Ray who hosts this MST three K is a new moeronym.
Speaker 2: There you go. Final two questions.
Speaker 1: What is your least favorite thing about being a volcanology hardest least favorite thing Okay, biggest painting assid is that.
Speaker 2: I don't get to do it more often, that I don't get to spend more time on volcanoes, So that there's not like unlimited funding where I can go do research on everything I think about and take all of the scientists I want to with me and all the people who want to go see if I can keep them safe. Like I just wish I could show everybody how cool they are and do more work on them. That's a great thing to hate. Yeah, really, it's like it's like the best problem to have.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say something like insurance paperwork. What about your favorite Thing's the what's the thing that excites you most about the job?
Speaker 2: I would And this is really fundamental just watching lava in all of its forms. It is the most fascinating substance on the planet to me because it's liquid, well it's technically a plastic solid, but it's you know, it has two different states. And then the fact that you've got gas interacting like it's so cool, and lava's lavas contain the secrets of the universe, and you know, when I'm holding a piece of lava in my hand, that tells me about how our planet was formed, about the startus it was formed from, you know, and it tells me where the planet's going, and it blows my mind. So the fact that lava can blow my mind is why it's my very favorite thing. Do you have a lava lamp? I don't, but I did when I was in high school. It was blue. That's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think my mom may have given it to good Will a few years back there. She yeah, yeah, it was pretty great though. I should get one to gently stock.
Speaker 1: Jess Phoenix you can find her at volcanojess dot com. She's on Twitter and Facebook as volcano Jess. You can find her on Instagram as Volcanojess Official. And if you're curious about all this political stuff, you can go to Jes twenty eighteen dot com Jess Phoenix twenty eighteen. On Twitter, she's Jess PHX. She's very googleable, Jess Phoenix. She's a volcanologist. She's running for Congress. Like you're not going to get her confused with another one of those anyway. You can find us on the Feral Audio dot com page, or you can find me as ologies on Instagram. You can also email me at Hello Ali Ward at gmail dot com. If you're an ologist and you want to be interviewed, if you have an ology that you want explored, if you love this or hate this, Holler at this bitch? Will you so thank you for listening. I hope you enjoyed. We'll be back next week with morologies.
Speaker 2: Until then, remember to ask smart people dumb questions because we're all going to die anyway. Okay, Next up is primatology. I always look fresh as a daisy. The marks on my outfit are not poo.
Speaker 3: But I'll pack adermatology, ameology, hypto zoology, platology and or technology, meteorologyology, methnology.
Speaker 2: Seriology get value.
Speaker 1: You can't argue with at Tesco with their amazing club card prices. Serve up something special with our finest meal deal for two starring one main, two sides and dessert for only sixteen euro like succulent board be approved Irushanger strip loin steaks with pepper, corn butter or delicious Firish Chicken Parmeshama served.
Speaker 2: With creamy potato, gretame and our mix of rainbow root vegetables and enjoy Goo Zillionaire or Salder caramel cheesecake. Can't argue with that shop in store or online. Tesco Every Little helps available at most stores. Prices very in express