Speaker 1: Good evening, everybody, and welcome to another episode of Fire Up. Are we fired up tonight or what?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I am?
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: I love it, love it, love it. Okay, I have a big panel tonight.
Speaker 4: Yay.
Speaker 1: I'm happy for that. So let me introduce my panel, Pensman's Sports. Next to me, how's it.
Speaker 3: Going, Pensman, I'm doing awesome, great?
Speaker 1: And next to him none other than George Ikorn, who wrote the forward to my husband's book, Scott.
Speaker 5: Yes, and I'm proud that he's working on a second volume.
Speaker 2: I heard.
Speaker 5: So good to be on the show again tonight. Thanks for having me, you.
Speaker 1: Bet, thanks for coming. Jay Dizzle Southern Comfort. Isn't that what you normally go by? Huh uh?
Speaker 6: Southern comfort, man, I haven't drank that in a long time, but I'm just selling Southern Fried gentleman of Southern Fried Sports. I decided to change it up a little bit tonight, so we're in a little bit of a party mode. We're in a good mood. So it's Jade Dizzle for Rizzle for the evening.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then none other than mister Ralph Williams. How are you, Ralph?
Speaker 7: I'm great? Thank you Candy, thanks for having me on. It's great to be here tonight.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's great to be on with you, gentlemen. Let's there's so much there's a whole slettid topics we could be talking about. Let's start with this. The season that just ended the NFL, So let's start. There's free agency, there's going to be a draft coming up. Let's talk about because there's been a lot of moves lately. There's been some big signings and then there's been some a lot of free agencies, a lot of people let go or not renewed or traded. Let's talk about some of those big moves. Pensman, tell me some of the big moves that you've noticed.
Speaker 3: Well, in case you guys haven't heard, Christian Kirk just sign with the Texans to Nate. I don't know what time exactly, but as up to Nate. Christian Kirk is headed to the Texans after a day of being unemployed. He is officially a Texan. And the Jaguars gave just released that the Pittsburgh Steelers just the one wide receiver. Can you please, art Rony give me one receiver? I know Nigie Harris is leaving. I know that, but just give me one wide receiver. I get the draft of running back. There's like I said the other day, there is tons of running backs in the draft. Just give me one big name free agency. That's all I ask for.
Speaker 1: Okay, George, any big note names that you've.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, Adam Scheffler is reporting that the Seahawks receiver DK Metcalf has formally requested a trade. So Penson, I get your get your general manager to get on the phone and try to get your try to get Metcalf over there from from the Seattle Seahawks.
Speaker 2: He don't want to play there anymore.
Speaker 5: I love these guys that go out there, Candy and they just say, trade me, trade me, trade me all the.
Speaker 2: Money they're getting.
Speaker 5: They're never ever happy, and and I think that that I understand sometimes the coach and the riff between the coach and the player.
Speaker 2: Okay, I get all.
Speaker 5: That, but come on, you guys, if you know some of you're getting all this big salary money and some of them just don't know why to They just want to move to the next city. It reminds me of oh yeah, something called the portal in the NCAA football the portal.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But anyways, to answer your question, I think that the Lions are still gonna be active. I mean not as much as they used to be, obviously, because their roster is pretty solid. But they can't start the season again with a lousy backup quarterback to golf. These quarterbacks, they've been lucky that he's not been hurt the last couple few years they've had him, but they got to keep an eye on that, and they've got to do something because Hooker.
Speaker 2: They have no confidence in Hooker.
Speaker 5: You know, he's on the roster, but he's he hasn't played hardly at all. And last year they had to call what's the guy he's coaching high school football down in Florida Bridgewater. Yeah, you see how that ended up? Yeah, Teddy, Teddy, Yeah, you can't do that. They can't live with a with an unknown as the as the backup quarterback. That to me is what the Detroit Lions need to get settled and settled fast.
Speaker 7: Well, well, I agree with Pensman in one perspective. Steelers gonna start thinking outside the box here. And you know something, George, I want to bring something to you. You know, you'll talk about free agents. All these free agents out here that say they want to play for Mike Tomlin, but I don't see them on the Steelers.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 7: That that to me bothers me a little bit when they keep saying, oh, I want to play for Mike Tomlin.
Speaker 2: He's a great coach.
Speaker 7: But you want to play for Mike Tomlin because Mike Tomlin lets you do whatever you want. Okay, that's why you want to play for Mike Tomlin. That's number one. Number two. I don't want to hear it anymore. If you want to play for Mike Tomlin so bad, then why don't it Why aren't you burning up the phone over at the Steeler office?
Speaker 2: Isn't coming here? Okay?
Speaker 7: That's I have an issue with that. Yeah, to see where Joey Bosa is going to go? Yeah, by La Chargers. Steelers could use them. I mean, I know they have DJ Watt and overpaid Alex high Smith and a few other people, but you know.
Speaker 2: It never hurts to have more edge rushers and talent.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 7: And we need a lot of defensive tackle help, and you know, more than just and wide receiver running back perhaps and uh, you know, my my thing is George Aaron Glenn. I'm interested to see what he's going to do up in New York. Yeah, Rogers Walk and uh, you know, so we're going to see what what he does up there, so you know.
Speaker 2: But uh, that's that's what I have to say about that.
Speaker 3: Can I ask one question DK, DK Metcalf and I don't care who answers this, but we're all we're all fans besides me and Ralph, we're on the same page. But would you guys actually take DK for a first and third round pick? Come on, that's a lot.
Speaker 6: That's just like if you're selling a house, though, I mean, you you want to put it a little higher and then well maybe a second.
Speaker 7: You know, they gave a first round pick to Miami for Minka Fitzpatrick and what's Minca done in the last couple of years. Nothing, so you know, and then we ended up with that bum Chase Claypool in the second round. So you know, I don't think the Steelers will ever do that again. I'm sorry to interrupt JD JD Right, No.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, no, you're fine, but yeah, I mean, yeah, you're not giving up a Perston at third though. Then, But that's what I'm saying I think they're starting high, you know, try to get the bidding high and then maybe you'll.
Speaker 8: Settle for something a little less.
Speaker 6: I mean, you got Miles Garrett and that whole debacle with Cleveland and everything as well.
Speaker 8: So yeah, I'll let you guys get back to it.
Speaker 6: Though, if anybody else had anything to say before the NFL free agency stuff ended up.
Speaker 3: I think Joey's going to join his brother in San Francisco. That's my That's where I'm thinking, Yeah, that could happen, right.
Speaker 8: Well, that was the one thing too. I was gonna mention, well, why didn't you speak?
Speaker 6: I was going to, but I interjected into somebody else. I meanechnically the Florida. Yeah, Candy hadn't technically got to my turn yet. I don't want to overstep, you know what I mean, But yeah, if it's my turn, Candy. So yeah, that's the one thing I was gonna mention. Did anybody have the Chargers releasing Bosa on their bingo card?
Speaker 3: I would never, no way.
Speaker 6: And see, that's the one question that I wanted to ask Pensman and all of this or anybody else as a Steelers fan.
Speaker 2: T J.
Speaker 6: Watt he was not very productive there down in the stretch. He certainly didn't do his part on the defensive side of the ball, wrecking the game. And so to me, because right, well pen'sman though if okay, but if the Chargers.
Speaker 7: He only had one man on him and he them one game, he had a rookie, he had a rookie offensive lineman that took.
Speaker 3: That's right, Ralph, That's right.
Speaker 8: Well, that's what I'm saying. That's what I wanted to spark up.
Speaker 6: Is it time maybe for the Steelers to look past what if the Chargers did it with Bosa?
Speaker 8: And that's what's wild.
Speaker 6: I mean, this all goes back to the wide receivers. That's another question for you guys, George, anybody else chime in on this one. Did the wide receiver position this year become the running back position of last year? Where you've got all of these guys getting traded. You got several free agents and nobody really seems to be interested in some of them. I mean Davante Adams. To me, I'm not signing the guy. I don't think Aaron Rodgers next year will be playing. To be honest with you, I really don't he wants he'll obviously want to contend. So where is he gonna good.
Speaker 7: Somebody that could test with for a core or back, somebody that's looking for leadership. Well, I know, we know Aaron Rodgers can can't have leadership at times as much of a big baby as he is. But anyhow, uh, you know that's that's looking for somebody like that. My advice to one of these new coaches is to get him, because one of these new coaches, you're gonna need somebody.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: You want you want Aaron Rodgers to go to Saint Look to New Orleans Saints to play for Kellen Moore? Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 2: Hey, why not?
Speaker 7: I mean, you know you're a new coach in this league and you're a rookie coach at that. You know what I'm saying, you need you need an experienced quarterback. I had this discussion with a couple of people on my Sports Corner radio show. You know that, you know they think that smoking Jim Fraser is wrong when he says that the.
Speaker 2: Jets should have kept Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 7: So Aaron Glenn would have at least a decent starting quarterback to get him off the you know, to get to get the team moving a little bit instead off.
Speaker 3: If he goes to kill it, Moore might be fired. Look what he did, Robert Saplin in week five. Oh you know, that's not the way you should do it. He's out the door.
Speaker 1: So you guys, none of you mentioned how Deshaun Watson actually restructured his contract to take to create thirty five point eight million dollars in cap space for the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 7: I'm surprised he did that, and I'm surprised the Browns did it. I thought he'd be long gone, but that's fine.
Speaker 6: I'm surprised they gave him two hundred and thirty five million dollars guaranteed up front. Yeah yeah, oh my good with with everything that was going on with him at that time.
Speaker 8: I mean, I know.
Speaker 3: They paid him because of the Houston Texts and the player that he was. They thought that they were going to get the Houston textan player and to take the Cleveland brown franchise to that. That's who That's why the Cleveland Browns paid him that because of what he did in Houston. When he went to Cleveland, he had he had a three sixty and we saw what he did in Cleveland, which I'm thankful for.
Speaker 7: Yes, we're always thankful in Pittsburgh. When Cleveland screws up, and they screw.
Speaker 2: Up a lot, they do screw up a lot. You got that right through. But the last time they want anything, oh my gosh, I can't even remember. That's how bad it is. But you know what, they're building a dome stadium there, so you know a new Oh yeah.
Speaker 7: I had Lou Marconi on he covers the on my show, he covers the Cleveland Browns, and he told me that they're they're looking for financing to get a dome stadium.
Speaker 3: And I heard Phil heard Philadelphia might be doing the same thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the link.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and the Steelers will keep that relic atri Sure Stadium.
Speaker 3: Okay, So and Candy, we didn't talk about Dek Prescott. Dek Prescott restruct restructure his deal and they saved about twenty seven million dollars too. So Cowboys fans, you can go. Yeah, we've got Dak Prescott who won two playoff games, congratulations, And they.
Speaker 2: Got Trey Lance. They're still there too, I believe, so.
Speaker 8: Penzman, not to correct you, but I'm pretty sure Dak's only one one. I think.
Speaker 7: Oh, quarterbacks in this league, Oh my gosh, that are bumps. Daniel Jones, Gino Smith. I can they I can average quarterbacks. Kirk Cousins. Georgie knows a lot about Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if if it is one or two, it's still bad. It's not like Patrick Mahomes, it's not like Marino, it's not like any of these big names. Where but Dallas loves Dak. But they have Dak. I don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's just too many unknowns, and even the battery quarterbacks. It's so it's all risky. Now, Now what's Minnesota gonna do? Now they're gonna go with Donald again? And now I heard JJ McCartney's he's mad as hell. He's gonna want to demand a trade. And of course he hasn't taken it down yet after the last seeds of victory. I don't know what Minnesota's thinking. But darnld. I mean, you know, he showed what he's worth in the playoffs. I'm sorry, he just yeah, he was terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's when you win the big game, George, that's when he counts. Yeah, okay, I don't care how many, how many regular season games you won. If you don't win the playoffs, go to Super Bowl forget it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, And the Lions learned that the hard way this year, didn't they?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I don't you know what. That was such a disappointment.
Speaker 7: And you know something I've been told, the Bobby Lane curse is still there.
Speaker 2: Oh boy? Right?
Speaker 6: Well, hey, and Kandy, if I made too, I want one more questions and shaller kind of on this topic and stuff already about all these players. The one I did mention was has the wide receiver become the new running back of this year?
Speaker 8: Undervalue?
Speaker 6: You see a ton of them requesting trades, Yes, they want to go to other teams and all that stuff, Like do teams now just feel like they can just go draft a few rookie wide receivers and make sure Elik neighbors. We're seeing what Jamar Chase and Justin Jefferson and Jordan Madison, I mean, Cede Lamb, They've all performed well as rookies, and so I think the older one is starting to become that new running back position.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah. And Malfard Jr.
Speaker 5: As you know, was a running back and he's mentioned that several times on Inside the Pigskin. He's so disappointed with the lack of value for the running back position. As we all know, it has dropped considerably. So that's a good observation.
Speaker 2: Jad. Talking about the receivers, you know, you're always.
Speaker 5: Going to have that elite group, we know that, but then you've got that mid range, and then a lot of the mid range guys want to move around, they want to go the winner. You can't all do it. Not everybody wins. Like you said, Ralph, I mean, you know, super Bowl win is hard to get.
Speaker 2: It is, it is hard to get.
Speaker 7: But you know what, it's what you do in the playoffs in the super Bowl, it makes your legacy.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's that's you know what I meansolutely, you know. And one other thing I want to add here real quick.
Speaker 7: Every year in the draft, and I think a lot of you agree with me on this, there's always a lot of wide receivers. If you pick up the draft block draft publications, there's at least everybody they have a top twenty five for every position wide receiver they have a top forty or top fifty, So that means there's plenty of wide receivers to go around that you can draft two or three of them in your draft.
Speaker 2: And still and for what you need if you need that many.
Speaker 3: Hmm, good part. I think I did a video the other night where I said the same Sada, thank you, thank you, Ralph.
Speaker 2: I was going to say that anyway.
Speaker 3: I mean, I appreciate your comment on that. That was awesome.
Speaker 1: Let's let's face it. As as the football field is, however, wide wide receivers are way on the end. A running back is in the play more often, whether you're gonna pass to them, whether they're gonna you're gonna hand the ball off to them, where they're gonna pass block, possibly you know, picking up somebody that's gonna try and sack the quarterback. So the running back is in on more plays or have has more of how should I say it, more of an effect on the play than maybe a wide receiver does.
Speaker 5: Playbook is right, observation. They're candy. You're absolutely right. It's a tough position. It's a tough one and that's why their their length of service is so short, because yeah, but getting beat up back there, Yeah, there's still valuable, there's still v Look at what I'm not trying to just brag about Detroit, but you gotta admit, guys, when they got that that steel Montgomery from the Bears and then they draft, you know, it just was a smooth transition from a team that didn't have no running game at all, the Lions, to now one of the best in the league. But you're right, Candy, they get beat up, they got a block, they gotta do screen passes, they gotta protect the quarterback, like.
Speaker 2: You said, I mean anything. I mean, it's a.
Speaker 5: It is not an easy job. And the wide receivers what you guys are saying there a diamond dozen. You just gotta be smart and picked the word the right ones that are gonna be in the NFL for a log time.
Speaker 7: Yes, them, a lot of them got the attitude problems. George Prima Donna's look at George Pickens here, we're having issues with him.
Speaker 2: I mean you look at this Jamison Williams with the Lions. Yeah, pain in the butt, but he can.
Speaker 3: Speaking of running back Philadelphi Eagles, Howie Roseman, I don't think you got this freak. You got rid of Darius Slave James Bradley, but you signed Barkley for a huge deal for forty one dollars and I'm an average fan. I'm a fan of the Steelers, but I don't know, Beth. But have you guys paid attention to whoever gets big contracts out by hamstring out you get hurt? Good job, Howie.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that's a really good question though for another day, and I'm sorry to interrupt there, but yeah, what what are the odds that Sakwan repeats the year he has this year? Granted I don't think he'll rush for two thousand again, but I don't think he'll fall on much next year. I don't see it.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 8: On the offensive line.
Speaker 7: They have to change your offensive scheme again because Colin Moore went to the Saints and we're going to find out where they go.
Speaker 6: So the only reason that Eagles will be bad next year is if Sakwan bought them too much Budweiser. When he bought them all a load of Budweiser, and they're all too hungover to play.
Speaker 3: Going, James Bradley's going, Josh, what's going? All these people are leaving so well, that's why.
Speaker 7: That's why Howie Roseen say our genius because he knows how to how to do things. Unfortunately that we have Andy Whitell who's supposed to be a genius too and put that team together. But why I haven't seen any results in the last couple of years.
Speaker 2: So we'll say nope.
Speaker 1: I do want to address something in the chat room. It's not that it's not that we're ignoring the chat room, is that the chatroom is not really commenting on the topic that we were talking about. They're trying to get us to talk about hockey, and I get that, but that was the last show we're talking right now NFL, so I do not I just want to let you guys know we're not ignoring you guys. We are trying to talk about the topic that we have in hand, and if you want to come in on that topic by all means like this. I think Aaron Rodgers should go to the Dolphins and then retire. I do not see him coming down, especially with Tua here. Just don't see it.
Speaker 3: But where do you think Aaron Rodgers is going to go after he leased the dark Room?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I I know where he might go. Pensman, you might go home.
Speaker 3: Michael home.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've said it a hundred times. That's exactly where. I think he'll be.
Speaker 8: Either there, either there or in Egypt.
Speaker 3: Well there was there was reports that he might go to Las Vegas with Pete Carroll and try to start jump Well there's no award yet. He's talking about jump starting that franchise back up.
Speaker 5: Well, you know his age. Come on, let's be honest. It's gonna be very hard to go to a losing team. I wouldn't do it. I mean unless the money New Orleans, Vegas. We're talking losing teams, Giants, Jets, Patriots. You really think Aaron Rodgers wants to go to a team that's so.
Speaker 3: Said five hundred Hell no, Giants are talking.
Speaker 2: But what else is there for him?
Speaker 5: Because the good teams have a decent quarterback already? Right, Well, the Giants is gonna go either, Candy, do you have any There's no way that they'll bring him. I don't think back to our division, the NFC North, any of those teams will do that.
Speaker 2: I doubt that. Oh I just got word, George, he's gonna be the backup in Detroit. Now, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: Now, if anything, he'd be going to Minnesota. Come on, let's face it, he's gonna if he's gonna follow Brett Farre's footsteps, And to be honest with you, they're the only ones that you know, I don't see it. The one thing is is that Aaron Rodgers he doesn't have the legs that he used to have, not that he has ever had a real legs, but so he needs a really good offensive line in front of him. And if he doesn't, if he doesn't, if he goes to a team that doesn't have that, he's not gonna last.
Speaker 8: He's just not.
Speaker 1: So I don't know where he'll go. I really don't.
Speaker 7: But what happened to Roethlisberger Candy? I mean, you know, he didn't have a good offensive line or you know, yeah, his mobility just didn't last like three years of his career.
Speaker 2: His mobility got bad.
Speaker 3: You know, he played, he played for Pittsburgh all eighteen years. He didn't move around, but he could. He could have bounced, but he he was loyal and want to stay until the end. Eric Rodgers is like, I'll move here, I'll go here, let me go to dark Croub. I decided to go here.
Speaker 2: And in April, in April, I have to see Kenny Pickett. That's right, because he's.
Speaker 7: Coaching one of the pit teams for the spring game. Wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, JD. You wanted to talk about the Titans.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I could talk about and really just that's just my question and I'll let all of you guys answer it and I'll get my initial thought on it.
Speaker 8: If I'm the Titans, though I am not.
Speaker 6: Sold on cam Wred or shad Or Sanders coming in and being a savior for my franchise. I'm also not sure I'm taking Abdul Carter and with the Titans and all of their needs. Given what people get for first over number one overall picks in the NFL these days, I'm not picking. If I'm the Titans, I'm trading back, not very far, maybe like three or four. Let the clients like the Browns, let any one of those guys who want to come up and get a quarterback, let them come up to want to let them figure out who goes first between cam Ward and Shador Sanders. But if I'm the Tennessee Titans, I want nothing to do with either one of them. So what do you guys think the Titans should do with their number one overall pick?
Speaker 2: If I had to pick between the two. J D.
Speaker 7: I would take kim Ward because of his body at work at in Miami and before that he was at what was it Washington State or something like that. They are Utah or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right church.
Speaker 7: Right church, wrong Pew, So you know, but anyway, uh, you know, I would take kim Ward in that perspective because Shader Sanders, you draft him, you're gonna have to put up with his dad and I don't know if you want to do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, off your Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: You don't want to put up with his father And I don't think I want to deal with that either.
Speaker 6: So you know, well, and to that point too, Dion's already said there's some teams he's not gonna let him be drafted to, So I mean, what exactly does that mean? That's or no, the one so the one that always pops in my mind is Eli Manning and Philip Rivers.
Speaker 7: Yeah yeah that was another one too. Yeah, I forgot about that one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, where, But so do we really think the do we really think Dion has as much pool as the Manning though? Like to me though, I'm not I don't know, I'm just not sold on either one of those guys. Really, I just feel like I would let I would get more draft capital.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the defensive.
Speaker 8: Lineman, offensive lineman.
Speaker 7: Yes, the Titans are a wreck, JD. They really are, and they need to you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: There to answer your question, the New York Giants are interested in trading up for the first round pick to get that. That's why. So I think that I think if the Giants do that, I think that they're gonna get cam Ward and camp Ward's gonna try to save that franchise. I try.
Speaker 7: I got a better chance to getting struck by lightning than the Giants getting saved.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, well, well step outside and see what happens.
Speaker 1: So I can. I can tell you that the Giants went down to the Pop Tarts Bowl to see cam Ward play. Cam Ward played the first half to play for those scouts from the Giants, and then he that's why he sat at halftime. He didn't want to keep playing, you don't want to get injured. But he played because the Giants sent scouts to that game to see him playing.
Speaker 3: Plus he already broke the record, so that's why he said at halftime too.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmm, So.
Speaker 5: I know we know there's not gonna be I mean, you know that that draft in Detroit with all those quarterbacks and Candy, you and I and Scott covered that draft. You're not going to see a repeat of that because there are not enough good quarterbacks coming out this year as we had last spring. To answer your question, you know, they're going to have to really be careful with that pick Tennessee or like you know, maybe they will listen for some offers they can pick up more draft capital by trading that number one pick. I mean, heck that that deserves a lot of consideration. If I'm the Titan Titans, you know, like you said, Ralph, they have so many problems.
Speaker 2: They have so many.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you know when you're in a situation like that and you're not sure if cam Woard is going to be the best guy or Sanders, I mean nothing, nothing is written in stone that you got to take that quarterback with that number one pick. That's where you got to really be smooth.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 5: If you want to try to build a build a franchise back up, you got to have draft capital, yeah you do.
Speaker 7: You have to go young, and you gotta have a lot of draft capital. Get some young offensive Linemen exactly. You know, Yeah, that's where you need to go. Okaybody, you don't have if you don't have good lines of scrimmage, forget it, it's over, it's done.
Speaker 2: You might as well hang it up.
Speaker 3: If Camboard does go to the Giants, would you watch the Giants? Candy, just just a question, because you you watched them in college.
Speaker 7: I would, for suspicions, I would for curiosity, just to see what cam Wood would do.
Speaker 1: I still think, and I understand with the first pick in the draft, that you feel that you've got to play them. You've got to put them in because let's face it, but I still say there's some and to be said about sitting, especially a quarterback that first year so they can watch the defensive schemes. They can learn from all right, veteran quarterback, whether he's really good or not so good. But there's something to be said about developing. And let's face it that even though they're playing the same game, a college game is different than an NFL game, and it's played at a different speed, it's played at a different level. I honestly think developing, but I understand that first round, if you're the number one pick, you're not sitting them. They're not doing that anymore, and it's it's it's a win now league. But my question is is how many number one picks made it and how many number one picks fizzled?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, the odds are not very good in their face.
Speaker 2: That didn't make it. That were quarterbacks, they didn't make it.
Speaker 3: In right.
Speaker 8: And Candy to your point too.
Speaker 6: What I was gonna say is a lot of people forget Patrick Mahomes had the chance to sit for a year behind Alex Smith for the two.
Speaker 8: A lot of people completely forget that. You also have.
Speaker 7: To until Tommy Maddox and Charlie Batch got hurt.
Speaker 6: And then you've got Jordan Love who sat behind Aaron Riverers there for a while. And then I think the best thing that could have happened to JJ McCarthy this year was getting hurt because he was slated, so he was forced to sit and learn. And so yeah, it's absolutely Tom Brady said it. If Tom Brady said it, you know what I mean, it's.
Speaker 3: Gotta be right.
Speaker 6: He's even too, Yeah, these guys gotta sit if he if he said it, I trust him.
Speaker 8: I believe it.
Speaker 3: Yep, because Tom did it, and he understood until he was forced to.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I would like to see cam Ward possibly, like Candy said, or Shader Sanders, go to a team where they where they can get a veteran quarterback, even though if that quarterback can manage the game, and he could sit and watch for a little bit and then hope that that quarterback stays in there and doesn't get hurt, because if he does, then and he's the second string quarterback, which in this day and age sometimes that's the case. But I do agree with Candy on the fact that you have to develop these quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: Look at Khale Williams.
Speaker 7: He was thrown into the fire this year, and you know, there was a few other ones that have been over the years thrown into the fire, you know, and when you're thrown into the fire, you always get burned.
Speaker 2: So you know.
Speaker 5: So there we are, and listen to this last you talk about draft point the number one picks.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: You go back to the twenty and fifteen Winston Yes, Aric Goff in sixteen, Miles here at defensive end in seventeen, Baker Mayfield in eighteen, Kyler Murray in nineteen, Joe Burrow twenty, Trevor Lawrence twenty one. Then you had Trayvon Walker sneaking in there at defensive end in twenty two, and they had Bryce Young and Caleb Williams.
Speaker 2: I mean, they always want.
Speaker 5: To go for a quarterback number one, it seems like in the last decade or more.
Speaker 2: Yes, but that doesn't like you guys.
Speaker 4: Say, even if they're not that good, George, it's the concept that they're coming out of college and they're young, and they got this big rating, and everybody on the NFL network says, oh, this is a great quarterback.
Speaker 2: Oh, this guy did good at the Combine.
Speaker 3: Oh this kind of look at the highlights. That's why. Yes, you see the highlights and that's it.
Speaker 7: Yes, Okay, Malik Willis, he did a good job at the Senior Bowl, did a great job. But Liberty stunk when he when when he went to Tennessee, and JD can.
Speaker 2: Account for that. You know.
Speaker 7: Now he's with Green Bay because he sat out for a few years here and there or whatever and learned and now he's with Green Bay and he's done a pretty decent job of managing the game at Green Bay.
Speaker 3: I'm going to add on to what you just said Ralph. Liberty is a very small conference, so he's gonna he's gonna dominate that. You take Milik Billis. I know it's times up with him, but but I understand. But you take Milik Willis, take him to back big ten sec. He's gonna get destroyed. He plays faces Clemson, he's gonna easily get four interceptions. You play Ohio State, Michigan, he's gonna get four or five interceptions plus sacked five times.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, You are correct.
Speaker 3: At the small conference. Liberty is a small conference.
Speaker 7: And now with the transfer portal, and I don't mean to get off topic here, now with the transfer portal in college, you can move from that small college to a big call. You think you can play, yep.
Speaker 1: I think. I think it's more not if you can play, but if a coaching system recognizes your play and has seen your play and tries to bring you in. Because it's it's a lot about the coaches and bringing in the players as opposed to and I get it. It's the players that want to say they want to move or they want to look for other avenues or money sources. Let's put it. I mean, if you prove yourself at a smaller school. The image of the one and done's is almost the same because in college basketball, one and done you'd move to the NBA. Well, in college football, it's more like one and done at the smaller schools to precipitate you to a better school or a high high caliber school.
Speaker 6: Right if I could, you, guys, I got two things on the NFL draft stuff. Just since we mentioned all that transfer portal and everything else, go ahead. So, first of all, the game Cocks have done a fantastic job with some of their guys that have come in for one year. Kyle Canard, Demetrius Knight, Nicki min Warri though he went there the whole four years or three years actually, But these dudes, they all performed well at the combine. They're gonna be freaks in the NFL. If there's a Gamecock player available to your team at any point in the draft this year, second to fifth round, I highly suggest you take them, whether it be Tanka Hemingway, nick Emon Worri, Boogie Huntley, Kyle Canard.
Speaker 8: Anyone, any one of those dudes.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but oh yeah, Boogie Alex Huntley, he's a local, homegrown. He was actually a will must champ recruit, okay, and they they're just they put up ridiculous numbers though at the combine. So my advice to any one of you NFL fans, if the best available is a game Cock where you're picking, pray for your team to draft a game Cock. And then the second thing I was gonna mention was Christopher's comment about Travis Hunter. We didn't even mention him about the draft stuff. He's a sneaky outlier in this defensive back and a wide receiver all in one go. So he I don't know if he will end up one. I don't know, oh man, I'm just he because we've talked about abdull Garter cam Wards to do her. So I mean, where does Travis Hunter land.
Speaker 8: In all of this? It's really gonna be as I.
Speaker 2: Even forgot about him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you forgot one detail, bro, one detail. When he went to the combine, he went as a defensive back or cornerback. He played, he played quarterback and wide receiver. So if what, so what you're gonna where you're gonna place him if he goes to the NFL, what position he's already combined?
Speaker 6: Yeah, But he answered that question. He said he wants to play all of the steps. He wants to play both. I don't know how much. I don't know how much they'll let him.
Speaker 3: He's gonna get fatigued, He's gonna.
Speaker 6: Get I say the same thing. I was worried about that with him in college. I think he's already already.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we have Cordell Stewart here through that. Jordan Whitehead was a two to two star or two different position player here.
Speaker 3: And you see how.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So, I mean Travis could probably do it, but he needs to get his personal life straight and that first, and his drama before he even thinks about playing any kind of football in the NFL, because it's not gonna jive.
Speaker 2: Various two to observation.
Speaker 3: Make the chat. I'm gonna make the chat really happy. In about two seconds, I was these guys want to talk about hockey. I'm gonna mention one thing about hockey and that's it. Last show, what was on we talked about hockey and we talked about Spencer Night. He just got drafted by the Blackhawks. It's the same exact thing in the NFL. If have you have a senior goalie and you have to just learn from them, you have a senior quarterback learn from the senior quarterback. It's the same situation in hockey and football. You learn from the experienced position player. That's all I'm gonna say about hockey. What your hockey? There is your hockey chat?
Speaker 2: Okay, I got about hockey. So well, we'll talk about that later. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So someone wanted to talk about NASCAR, and.
Speaker 8: Who was that? I hate anybody, anybody at.
Speaker 2: All, Now, it wasn't me. I don't follow nascart, George.
Speaker 8: You follow any NASCAR.
Speaker 2: Not not real close.
Speaker 5: I mean I'll tune in to the race usually, uh, but I don't watch it from start to finish or anything like that. What are your thoughts, JD? What what would you want to bring up?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Well, so, yeah, I got something for you, and I'll see if I can relate it to another sport per se. So we just saw the race at Circuit of the America this past Sunday and there was an incident in the race where Austin Cindric did what they call right rear.
Speaker 8: Hook someone into the fence.
Speaker 6: And in the past we've seen drivers like Chase Elliott, NASCAR's most popular driver, be suspended for doing that.
Speaker 8: When he did it to Denny Hamlin.
Speaker 6: Carson Hosovar has been suspended for it, and then Ross Chastain has also been suspended for doing the exact thing that Austin Sindric did. And it just proves once again that NASCAR cannot be consistent with their rules. We just saw all the caution lap cautions at the end of the race mayhem the previous few weeks. Now we've got them saying that Austin Sindric they weren't going fast enough for it to cause any real damage.
Speaker 8: Is it about safety driver safety or is it not?
Speaker 6: Because just a few weeks ago it was about drivers safety, but this week it's not about driver safety. And so they're just very inconsistent with the rules, maybe much like the NFL has been. So how would you feel if there was a sport you were interested in though, where you the sanctioning body don't know the rules, so your fans don't know the rules. At some point, you've got to draw a line somewhere, correct.
Speaker 5: You, you know, and you gotta be consistent too.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, go ahead, Ralph, No, you have to crack the whip.
Speaker 7: I mean, you know, there's too much of that going on the rules for certain people, you know, and if you're going to have rules, you got to crack the whip and do it. I mean, you know, you can't just have them for certain things and certain people.
Speaker 2: It doesn't work that way, you know.
Speaker 5: No, it has to be consistent and it must be consistent, especially when we talk about safety.
Speaker 2: You're talking about that.
Speaker 5: Rear hook, I mean, you know, and those you know, invariably there's accidents on that final laugh if it comes down to one lap, oh my god, we'll see what happens. And pretty much every race nowadays, there's all kinds of craziness going on. They're trying to finish that race. It's just bind by. But to get back to your point, JD, Yeah, I would say they have to be consistent and if centric deserves a fine punishment or both, he deserves it, then if it's proven.
Speaker 6: Right, well he did so he did end up getting docked fifty points, which yeah, is like a don't have but you just can't. And I think NASCAR hamstrung themselves here too. So they just made this new NASCAR playoff waiver rule where basically the driver can't miss a race or you're ineligible for the playoffs or lose all of your playoff points. So they didn't want to suspend the guy because they just created.
Speaker 8: This new rule.
Speaker 6: And so just get like, you can't have rules contradicting one another, and you got to be consistent. Just get it right is my biggest thing with Sports NFL. Spot in the ball penalties whatever, Like, I don't care if you got to review it, ball strikes, the automated ball system that we've seen or whatever.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just get it right. I don't care what you gotta do. Just get it right.
Speaker 6: And Pensman, I wanted to hear your NASCAR takes about Cedric as well.
Speaker 3: If Daleen Hurt Senior was alive, I would guarantee you and JD you're laughing because you know where I'm going because you're a senior fan too. But if Senior was alive and he saw how much flip flop is going on, he knows that he's gonna go and he's gonna wring somebody's neck because of all the inconsistency. He's gonna make sure. If he was alive, he would go up to the studio and make sure that somebody is going to get their point cross and make sure that it's gonna be If one NASCAR drivers suspend it, they all should be suspended if they do the same thing. The punishment should be right down the middle. You do something wrong, you're suspended. Denny Hamlin, you're suspended. Austin Cindric, You're suspended because you did what Danny Hamler did a couple of weeks ago last year, whatever it was. That's my teak on that. That's what Am I wrong?
Speaker 2: Am I?
Speaker 3: Am I right? And my wrong?
Speaker 6: G Yeah, And when George was even mentioning the mayhem and everything, Yeah, the mayhem literally started lap one, turn one for Chase Elliott this past weekend. Yeah, he got he got wrecked by Ross Chastanin dive bombing him on the first lap and then I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, that was a five car pile up and turn one.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it was I mean it was Chastain just being over aggressive wreck Chase.
Speaker 8: But I don't know if you saw it.
Speaker 6: Later in the race, Chase Elliott was coming up to pass Ross Chastain. Ross Chastanin knew what was coming. Man, he does so far out the way he literally he just let Chase go on by didn't bother him one bit.
Speaker 8: He knew he was wrong, but yeah, the mayhem literally started lap one. That's I love NASCAR. You never know when you're gonna see mayhem.
Speaker 6: It could be lap one, lap thirty, lap seventy two, You just don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, see George would remember this.
Speaker 7: Okay, back in the day, we had a commercial called when he f Hunt and talks people listen, Okay, when if if Senior was still alive. I think that that that the race, the racing community would listen, and like Pensman said, and the rules would would be where they are.
Speaker 6: And well, I can follow up and ask a question to that to you guys about that, and Candy time in too if you want. But I honestly think NASCAR, if del Earnhardt walked into their hall or for a meeting or whatever the case may be, I feel like NASCAR listened to del Earnhardt more than he listened to NASCAR. So therefore, though, is there now that deal Earnhardt Junior is not there? Gordon Jimmy Johnson.
Speaker 2: Somebody got to pick up the slack JD.
Speaker 6: I'm saying, but who, There's nobody out there that NASCAR respects that much.
Speaker 2: No, no, not at all. No, Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, guys, Brad Keaslowski, but his star is so diminished now.
Speaker 2: Brad's not the man.
Speaker 3: I might step on, might step on JD's toes, but would lost to dellan fill those shoes that NASCAR would start to respect. He's got the three car.
Speaker 6: Nobody's respected since they came back. Answered to that question, not a chance, Not a chance.
Speaker 1: Guys, Let me do a quick station break. I haven't done one yet. South Florida Tribute Publishing Company published a book, Lessons from the Microphone, Tuning into the Enduring Wisdom of Visionary Leaders. It is written by Scott Morgan and the forward is written by George Korn. It is available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kindle, Google and Apple Books. There's also a link on our website www dot self Florida Tribune dot com where you can get a copy of this book. You can get there's a link to our merchandise store. There's a plethor of great information on the website. If you like to listen to podcasts, you can find us wherever you get your podcast. If you want to advertise on a show, you can call Scott nine five four three oh four four nine one. If you want to be a guest on the show or have show ideas, you can always email us at self Florida Tribune at gmail dot com. Okay, guys, I am going to swing it over to baseball now. Barry Bonds came out and he says he appreciates the greatness of show Heyo Tani, but believes the Los Angeles Dodgers superstar benefits from a softer game. There's no about the type of player Otani is and what he's accomplished in his career, but the game has changed, Bond said in an interview. Bonds continued, Otani is not going to hit two home runs without seeing one go right at his head. In my generation, I don't care what he does. He's not going to steal two bases without somebody decapitating his kneecap to slow him down. Because it was a different game back then. What are your thoughts about what Barry Bond said about Otani? And I'm going to start with you.
Speaker 9: George, Barry Bonds, you know, I don't know. I mean it's always hard to determine. I mean, baseball has had different eras I mean, so as far as soft goes, softness goes, I mean, is the pitching as good as it used to be?
Speaker 5: Probably not. I mean that when you My feeling is that with expansion, all of baseball has been diluted over the years. We know that adding more teams you got less quality roster spots, less quality players. Unfortunately, they all can't be superstars. So I would guess that Bonds might have a little bit of a correct reflection on that, but I wouldn't take it that far. I mean, Otani has shown that he is a megastar. He can hit fastballs, he can hit sliders, he can pitch really well as we know before he got hurt, especially, so I wouldn't totally disagree with what Bonds is saying, but I don't think it deserves to be mentioned as far as you know, putt putting an asterisk on the player's career or anything like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Maybe I'm misreading them the wrong way, but yeah, the soft factor versus every era is going to be different.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say Ralph your comments, I.
Speaker 7: Think, uh, I think Barry Bonds hit it on the head in some perspective, but I do agree with George in another perspective here, it's a whole different ballgame now compared to when he played, and and and you know, he's allowed to make his comments. That's like when Terry Bradshaw makes his comments about about you know, you know how weak the Steelers are these days, you know what I mean, compared to what it was when he was. But that was a whole different era. We had Chuck Nole, we had discipline, We had you know what I mean. You didn't You weren't on TikTok then because it wasn't TikTok one pointing around social media. You weren't getting into into trouble at the bar or whatever. You know, that kind of thing, all right, same as baseball's the same way. Okay, Uh, there's no more Jim Leland's out there, There's no more Tommy Lasorda's out there. There's no more uh Billy Martin's. There's there were a lot of managers in it in those days that were great managers that had won championships, world Series and that kind of thing. And now you have you know, the current way of things are going in baseball used to be called America's pastime and until they get a salary cap, which they never will. Okay, baseball is not going to be right like the other sports and it's not going to be fair. And but I do agree with Bonds and one and one small perspective here he's right. But in another perspective, like George said, or Tawney does, do you know his his his stats, you know and all that. But now in baseball you have analytics, you have you don't have the coaches like you used to that were able to develop players better. Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, It's just it's not like it was in the past and it never will be.
Speaker 1: Things changing all sports, Jay Dizzel, tell me what do you think.
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, Barry Bonds saying what he said is almost as ridiculous as pac Man Jones saying what he said on Dion Sanders podcast, where he said that he never used his own urine for a drug test for an NFL drug test, and then he was about to tell everybody how to do it apparently that it's just ridiculous.
Speaker 8: Man, Come on, Barry Bonds, come really.
Speaker 6: Show Hey, o tany he couldn't have hit the baseball back in your day. Nobody was throwing at you that much. You had what seventy three intentional walks in one year? How many of those intentional walk pitches went? It's your head, Barry Bonds, come like it's ridiculous. Yes, you're welcome to have your feelings, but can we just I need to end this goat talk. Until everybody's the same age that watched the same basketball or the same baseball or the same football, none of this goat talk will ever be settled. It'll be an ongoing debate. Like politics. Something should just make you angry every day of your life. So just stop it with the goat talk. Pete Rose, we see he might get pardoned to get into the Hall of Fame. Barry Bonds, you're great. You're not in the Hall of Fame because you're steroid. Roger Clemens, you're not in the Hall of fame. Y'all are all great. Just shut up about it.
Speaker 8: We know already.
Speaker 1: Your thoughts.
Speaker 3: Barry Bonds, just live your life. You don't know what happened. You drafted in the Pittsburgh Pirates. We're horrible as a Pittsburgh Pirates. Ralph, agree with me, Pittsburgh Pirates. He was horrible. He goes, he goes more.
Speaker 6: Than me and blew up to six foot two two forty. I mean it was tiny when he played for the Pirates, right, Yes, that's what I was.
Speaker 3: Just gonna say. You You you get this little pill and old sud you're like Arnold Schwarzenegger, like what you just need to keep your mouth shut. Live your life. You were semi good. You're not in the Hall of Fame because you took steroids and you're wanted that home run thing you got intentionally walked like nine hundred times. When you're in the San Francisco Giant. It's a different era than what you played. So Barry, just live your life, Just do what you have to do and just get over. The pitching's the same. The pitching's not the same. It's the everything.
Speaker 2: We've got.
Speaker 3: Pitch count now. The bases are shorter, there's like six inch difference, and I don't know what it is. There's there. There's no more shift change, there's no more There's a lot of things that change throughout the years. The Air League play, I disagree with p digits there that the inn League game is played. That's that's fun for for fans that just gives you like for Philadelphia, New England, for Philadelphia and New York that that's just a fun series. It's just makes it more fun for everybody. But Barry, come on now.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's my two cents and whatever for whatever they're worth. Baseball, Yes, baseball. All of the major sports have evolved over the years. Do I think baseball has evolved as much or has changed as much as some of the other sports to know? And that's probably a good topic for another night, because I would say, I would say the NBA has changed the most, but that's not the topic for tonight. Tonight's topic is is MLB softer? I would argue that all of the leagues are softer these days, that all of the players are softer. You're not gonna see the iron Man of Cal Ripken, or you're not gonna see the Brett Favre of consecutive games. I don't think again, because they don't play is long. Because I think part of it is is because nowadays we expect our youth to be a one sport pony, and they are guided down a path to excel in that one sport. And we've had guests on our show that have said that when you do that, you are asking for troubles and injuries because you're not toning your body with all the other sports, playing different sports, and so you're consistently always like let's say you're a pitcher, you're consistently throwing. You have the same motion going for years and years and years. Eventually your body is gonna wear down. But very is it a softer game. I don't know that it's a soft I think everybody softer. And yes, it's gonna change because times have changed. I'm sorry. I now have a cell phone that is a need computer that I can look up all kinds of information. They didn't have that back then. So yes, analytics have changed. Technology has changed the game. But Shohey is a great talent, and I get he said that he's a good talent. But I don't think we need to compare how it was back then to how it is now because there it's no comparison. You can't compare it. It's different eras, So stop even trying to do it. Stop trying to compare is Lebron better or MJ? Stop it they played in different eras. It's different ballgame. Just appreciate the talent you have out there right now. With that, we're gonna go to my towne. So, mister Ralph, what's happening in your tone?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 5: Not?
Speaker 7: Well, I gotta I'm gonna do my joke here because it involves the Penguins. This kid was in divorce court and the judge says to the kid's son, I can't make my mind up who I want you to live with? Your mommy or your daddy. The kid says to the judge, your honor, I don't I don't want to live with either one of them. They beat me, and then the judge says to the kid, well, you gotta live with somebody, and he says, I want to live with the Pittsburgh Penguins. They don't beat anybody, So there you go, all right. But anyway, the Penguins are not doing too well spring training baseball pirates or we'll see what happens. And the Steelers, we're gonna wait and see if they start thinking outside the box this year for the first time. And pit football's coming up their spring game in April, and we're gonna say they just lost their recruit to a bad car accident in India in the state of Indiana, And it's really sad. He was supposed to he's a four star recruit and was gonna they were gonna actually try to work with her, play him this year, try to make a difference for the and it turns out that the Jackie Show curse is still on it.
Speaker 2: So all right, that's about all.
Speaker 7: When the basketball team's falling down to sixteen and fourteen, the men's basketball team for Pitton could end.
Speaker 2: Up in the nit. So there we are.
Speaker 1: That's my town, Ralph, what's happening in your town again? I'm sorry, George.
Speaker 5: What's happening in my town? Well, we see the injury bug coming out again. You know, the Detroit Lyons. We all know what happened with them and all those injuries, and they overcame him to win fifteen out of seventeen games. But now it's starting to hurt the Red Wings and the Tigers. Matt Verling is a very key component of the Tigers as they made the playoffs as you know, with that mad dash last season, and they attacked eliminated Houston Astros in two straight games, took Cleveland to game five. But they still have too many holes on this team. Matt Verling is not your everyday third baseman. He cannot feel like a quality third basement. Excuse me, you got hobby air bias with whatever happened to this guy at shortstop trying to make a calmback down in Lakeland, Florida. You took a rookie Cole to Keith, and you moved him from second base to first base. And you kicked Spencer Torkelsen temporarily at least off the starting lineup, and you brought in Torres, which was a good move only one year though, from the Yankees. So the Tigers still have a lot of questions in my mind. They also suffered an injury to Parker Meadows, who they're counting from day one to be the regular center fielder. So right now they've got some injuries going on the Tigers. The pitching looks still pretty good, pretty strong up of course, you know the trade with the Dodgers to get friend back clarity as this number two starter behind Schoogle. The Red Wings also have been suffering some injuries.
Speaker 2: Lately, but it goes back to what is it old.
Speaker 5: Adage in sports, next guy up, who's going to take his spot or her spot on the roster, as Dan Campbell told us all during the season to the media, Hey, I can't dwell on that injury to so and so. I can't Why talk about it right now, I can't do anything.
Speaker 2: He's not here. So my town is going through a little bit of injury, you know. Right now.
Speaker 5: The Pistons also have had a couple of injuries, but so far they're still in the playoff picture. Right now, Red Wings, I don't know what's happening. They lost again tonight. They couldn't even beat Utah at home, so things are not looking good for the Detroit Hockey playoff perspective.
Speaker 2: That's what's going on in my town.
Speaker 1: A d doze.
Speaker 8: Oh in my town.
Speaker 6: I'm so glad Ralph mentioned college basketball. I'm the int Togo with Pittsburgh there, so yeah, my town is going to be I'm very busy the next few days.
Speaker 8: I've got trips.
Speaker 6: Second baseball practice tomorrow evening at six trips. My oldest son, five years old. I was a baseball player. He's playing baseball for the first time. So I got his practice tomorrow and then we're heading up to the SoCon Tournament, the Southern Conference basketball tournament in Ashville. I'll be there covering Sanford, a little bit of Furnman, a little bit of East Tennessee State. And apparently people have trouble with understanding how I'm able to cover so many teams and do so many things, but we managed to do it. We do what we gotta do, and I think it's fun. I just I love meeting all these different fans. That's what we say on Southern Fried Sports. I'm here to unify the fans, have a good sports talk, share some opinions, have a good time, and George, Ralph Pensman, Candy, it's always a pleasure to be here. So yeah, my party got busy weekend, but I'll be in Asheville for the SoCon tournament.
Speaker 8: Oh one last tidbit.
Speaker 6: So it's a small world, y'all. This is one of those small world stories. So I was on Facebook today buddy of mine, he's the DJ for the Southern Conference tournament this weekend that I went to college with. Randomly he posted a picture and I was like, Yep, I'm in Ashville at Cherokees Hairs Center or whatever it's called. And he posted a picture from the court and I was like, bro, ain't no way. I was like, I'll be there in like two days. I was like, I'm definitely gonna come by and see you. Has been forever since college. I won't age myself, but yeah, it's been a while. I got a little gray, but yeah, small world man. Like literally, somebody posted a picture on Twitter of the scoreboard and he was in it on the scoreboard. After I saw his post, and I was like, I definitely got to reach out to this guy and talk Tommy.
Speaker 8: And that's just too much coincidence all in one thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, Pensman, what's happening in your town?
Speaker 3: Speaking of college basketball? Since we're talking about college basketball, JD knows where I'm going. The Duke Blue Devils finished or twenty seven and three right now in the season. They lost to Clemson, which they shouldn't have because Cooper Flag tripped and fell and slipped on what flooredness. But regardless, that game's over. It's twenty seven to three record. It's round two of North Carolina on Saturday night. So I was gonna do a short about this, but since I'm one, Stanton is back, but he might have to have surgery. On the New York Yankees, the Yankees lost eight to four today in preseason, in spring training. It's spring training, Nikes, fans, It's fine, Garrett Cole got rocked, but it's only spring training. So Yankees fans don't panic. It's spring training. It doesn't mean a thing. That's why I keep telling some people. Some people were like, oh, my team's eight six and four, Well, congratulations, it's spring training. It doesn't mean anything. But that's what's going on in my town.
Speaker 1: Okay, in my town.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 1: The Brewers are gonna be honoring Bob Uker this season with a patch on their on their uniforms. They're also gonna paint for opening day in Milwaukee. They're gonna paint Bob Youuger's signature like they did for spring training, which I think is really cool. The Badgers and Marquette are both doing well, not necessar in their conferences right now, but they're both should be in the tournament. But the one really bright spot, and I talked a little bit about this last night, is the women's hockey team for Wisconsin. They have three their twenty one, one and two or something like that. It's crazy how well they played this year. They are going in the semi finals tomorrow afternoon. They are in the Frozen four, so we will see. But I can tell you one the one thing that I saw today that made me happy is that. And I forget what position it is, but one of the positions for Position of the year. Wisconsin's gonna win it because the only the three finalists are all from Wisconsin. They're not from any other school. So Wisconsin women are taking it to the rest of the hot women's hockey world. So good luck to them. I hope they do well. That's what's happening in my what's happening in my world, so in my town. So let's go around the room and let everybody know how they're gonna get hold of you. I am going to first do a quick station break here self. Florida Tribune Publishing Company published a book, Lessons from the Microphone, Tuning into the Enduring Wisdom of Visionary Leaders. It is written by my husband, Scott the Motor City mad Mouth Morgan Roth, and the forward is written by George Icorn. It talks about his forty plus years in the media business and how it has changed and evolved. Just like we were talking earlier, the games have changed and evolve, so has the media business. Go check out his book. It's available on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kindle, Google, and Apple Books. There's also a link on our website www dot solth Florida Tribune, where there's a link for our merchandise store as well as a plethora of great content.
Speaker 2: Go check it out.
Speaker 1: If you like to listen to podcasts, you can find us wherever you get your podcasts. Monday nights we talked baseball, Tuesday nights we talked football Wednesday and Thursday nights. You just never know what we're talking about. Previously tonight, though, we did talk about NHL hockey on Sports Exchange. If you want to be on a show or have show ideas, you can always email us at South Florida Tribune at gmail dot com. And if you want to advertise, you can call Scott nine five four three oh four four nine four one. And with that Pensman, how can people find you?
Speaker 3: You can find me on YouTube Pensman Sports and x Pensman Sports.
Speaker 1: George, how can people find You?
Speaker 5: I write for a local paper called the Downtown Detroit Monitor, but I also write for the publication called the South Florida Online Tribune and you'll find me there along with Scott and Candy's Great Picture She Takes, and many other authors. One of the things that what I do is cover a lot of Michigan sports. So at the end of my column, there's a link there that could link you to a book I wrote, which is several years old now, but Detroit Sports Broadcasters on the air. It's still available for anybody that would like to link to it.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thanks Kenny, that looks like it's right there. The forward was written by the late Ernie Harwell. Oh so, anyway, Scott's in the book. I'm in the book, but all these great sportscasters that he and I admired all these years.
Speaker 2: Of the book.
Speaker 5: You can reach me at giicorn at yahoo dot com, in on x or Twitter at Santa G Sports ninety nine, or link up with me on LinkedIn. How's that good to be part of the network. Good to be part of the network, and we enjoy the programs.
Speaker 2: Tonight sounds good?
Speaker 1: Ralph fu.
Speaker 7: Can people find you YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, x platform, Please follow me there and subscribe on my YouTube channel. Check out all my archives shows. There's a several monitor I'm also here on the Soft Florida Tribune Network here on Thursdays and then Saturday Scott Morgan Roth and I and Leo Haggerty and we have special guests. This week's Ray Fittipaldo from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette Sports Rap. It's just this and every Saturday at nine am a part of the triple header of Ralph eight am to nine am the Ralph Williams Tony Moreno.
Speaker 2: Show, and then at nine am to ten am is the Sports Wrap Show.
Speaker 7: We're live on YouTube, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, x platform, South Florida Tribute Network, in the Huddle Sports Network, and also we're going to be on the Sports Viable Network as well. That's getting put up by JT. Toth and we're going to be on that real soon as well. And please don't forget, last, but not least, on Saturday. This Saturday, the two to three pm Sports Corner Radio Show with me, Ralph Williams, Smoking, Jim Fraser, Claudia Arizona Bluth the pre our guest as well.
Speaker 2: He's on two of the three shows.
Speaker 7: Ray Fitt of Paul, He's gonna be on to talk about the Steelers and what they have done at the combine and what their expect expectations are for the draft and free agency. So tune in twelve fifty am the answer ninety two point five on the FM dial here in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jay Dizzle.
Speaker 1: How can people find you?
Speaker 6: First of all, George, Ralph Pensman, Candy All. A pleasure being here with you this evening.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I'd like to get in touch with you.
Speaker 7: I'd like to have you on my show. I do a thirty two team thing for the draft, and I want you to come on talk about the Titans.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, yeah, we can do the Titans. And I'm actually I'm a Panthers fan honestly.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, we have a Panthers fan.
Speaker 6: But yeah that I just had a very strong opinion about that Titans, and I just don't think they're I don't think they.
Speaker 8: Should be picking there. I think they should get out of it.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I'm gonna hit p Digits his comment right here, he s has jd is taking his social game to the next level and installing live feeds from inside my home.
Speaker 8: Well, let me tell you that's p Digits. I'm always inside my home.
Speaker 6: I am not one of those ones that sits in my mother's basement and broadcast podcast as Nick Saban likes to say all the time. And I'm sure none of these other guys here do that either. But you can find me at Southern Fried Sports JD on YouTube at jd Y at zero six on X and then I also run a game Cox page for Greenville Sports Media at GSM Underscore game Cos on Twitter. And then I also run a Sideline Sports Network page for East Tennessee State University at Sideline Sports Network SN Underscore e t SU. And Yeah, these opportunities, they've all kind of fallen in my lap. I appreciate every one of them and never imagined I would be doing this, chopping it up with great folks like you, and you'll be blessed, not stress, just be kind to one another.
Speaker 1: Well, I want I want to thank all of you, gentlemen for being on my panel tonight. I also want to thank everybody that was in that chat room, whether you were commenting about what we were talking about or not, but thank you for being here. We appreciate it. Without you, we wouldn't keep doing this, right, guys, I mean, let's say thanks everybody with that. Have a great weekend and enjoy whatever sports you enjoy. Have a good one.
Speaker 2: I everybody
Speaker 3: It