Speaker 1: Hi everyone. I'm Stephanie Wilder Taylor and this is Drunkish. I wrote a book called Drunkish where I told my sobriety story. Because well, I love to overshare. Now I have a podcast so we can hear other people's stories. Please follow the show so it will automatically land in your podcast feed every week. Be so helpful to me. And also if you could give me a quick rating and or review, I will be your best friend. Now with me today is Rob Shulty. He is a podcast producer, but also he has a long running podcast of his own, all about vander Pump Rules and it's called vander Pump Robs. You can find that on your podcast feed as well. And he's so honest and warm and a great talker. And I think you will love this episode. So let's go. Rob Shualty, Welcome to Drunkish.
Speaker 2: Hello, happy to be here. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Of course, thank you for reaching out. I'm so excited. First of all, I love having guys on the podcast.
Speaker 2: Really okay, well yeah, I guess it has been skewed with more lady. I've been listening for a while now, it's been It's exciting, you know, You've had a couple of my friends on Meredith and Alison, and so it's been yeah and so having I don't know. I like the I like the podcasts, like the book. I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you. I have had an abundance of sober moms, which I guess just because that's like my people. But I find it really interesting, Like when I go to meetings, I really love like hearing men's stories too. I think it's I think it's the feelings are all kind of the same. You know, the experience might be different, but all the like addiction people seem to have a lot of the same basic feelings.
Speaker 2: I've you know, I've got three years under my belt and I'm feeling the same thing right, Like there's always this like base level of like our stories may fluctuate a few different points one way or the other, but there's like a consistency that's like I can relate to you on a bunch of different things, no matter who's sharing.
Speaker 1: I remember early in sobriety hearing people's stories and this was this would be a lot more true for men, but about just really low bottoms, you know, going to rehab, like twenty seven times, and then just telling my person who is like helping me with my sobriety, and just going like, I just don't think like this is me, Like these people aren't me. And I remember really understanding the look for the similarities, stop trying to stop trying to make yourself different, and start trying to look for the things that you relate to. And then when I did that, I was like, oh, yeah, underneath it, it's the same feeling.
Speaker 2: I still struggle with that quite frankly. And I also struggle with not comparing my timeline with other people's timeline too, Like I always have to like keep myself in check with that sort of stuff. And but every time I do remember, or like talk to a friend of mine who's going through something, you know, in the program or whatever, it is sort of thing where it's like, well, remember, you probably have a lot more in common than not, yeah, in a lot of ways, and.
Speaker 1: Well check me back and tell me, like tell me about yourself. Where'd you grow up.
Speaker 2: I grew up in like a suburb of Kansas City, and I mean k Kansas, Missouri actually, and so I didn't have a lot of exposure to the world. And this isn't like cliche Middle America. It's just like my family's family grew up right around that same area, and then there's like no extended family, right, So all I knew was what my family knew, and it was if it wasn't like Kansas City, the city, it was the family farm outside of this city, and I rarely went to that, and so all I all I knew was that it would it didn't seem possible to ever live or exist outside of Missouri or Kansas growing up. And my dad owned a bar, which was a big part of my lifestyle, and and that just like bar culture was always around. Drinks were always at the party. But I never really like I don't want to like jump too far, but like that never was like a thing, right. My dad was never like really drinking around me at all. Like I think the most I'd ever seen my dad drink like occasionally was like two beers and then fall asleep on the recliner right when we were like watching tvars. But my brother was technically my half brother, but I grew up with him my whole life. He had what was told to me as an extreme drug addiction. Now come to find he was more of an alcoholic who dabbled in doing drugs and actually died because of an alcohol related incident when I was in college at the University of Kansa, and that did not teach me not to drink alcohol. It actually taught me. I drink more after that.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I was very I think I was just closed off to the world, like I had no perspective. I did not ever put myself in anyone else's shoes. I just was never taught that sort of thing. I was, I would say, not like close minded, but just uneducated on the ways of the world. And so it's like, all right, I'll go to college because I'm supposed to go to college, and I couldn't get into any schools really, and so I went to community college and then I finally moved out was when I got accepted to the University of Kansas and that just became like partying because I like was desperately afraid of getting into trouble. Big quote fingers. I did not party hard in high school. I think I drank once in high school.
Speaker 1: Just to say this on your podcast, Oh.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, I I like my friends had a kegger and I drank too much because it was the first time I'd ever drank. I think I made embarrassing phone calls or something. I got egged on by the boys to like, oh, you should do this or that, like I don't really remember it. And then of course all of our parents found out, and then I was like, oh, I got in trouble. I'll never do that again. And then but my dad was very strict because I think my brother was such a like loose cannon kid. Was he older than you, there's about six years older than me, okay, and he like didn't he like he clocked my dad and I have a very complicated My dad is no longer with us either. I had a very complicated relationship with him towards the end of his life, and I started like seeing things from my brother's perspective. Older I got and I, you know, I struggle with this because I know, you know, your parents do the best they can for the most part. But like, I really suffered from his strictness because he couldn't quote control my brother in any sort of way.
Speaker 1: And I don't think our parents do the best they can.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe maybe I'm giving a little bit more than I than I need to. But like, I just think that this is a world where I was really afraid of getting into trouble, and I don't know exactly what that is, partially because I think my family was Catholic, but like Catholic on paper, not like we didn't really go to Mass or church that often, especially after my parents got divorced. But then when I went to college, though, it was like, oh, I can do whatever I want, and the Levy broke and I was like partying all the time, drinking a lot. I didn't do a lot of drugs at that point in time. I smoked a lot of pot in like my early years of college. But then once I graduated, there was nothing to do. It was the two thousand and eight two thousand and nine recession. I had to work at like bars and bagel shops and struggle to get nine hours a week sometimes at some places.
Speaker 1: And you were still in Jasuri at that point.
Speaker 2: I was in Kansas, but yeah, I was just living in the college town at that point, and that's just like you're in this town where you also are like there's a music scene and an art scene, but it's all kind of a facade for those of us who were never able to like escape college life at that point, and everyone who worked at a bar is just exchanging the money with the other people that work at bars, and no one's really getting anywhere in life. And it's like this false sense of if you're in a band or you're an artist of some sort, like I'm actually above it all because I don't need things like paychecks to pay the rent. But it's all from my perspective, it was all just a big now that I've had years past, than kind of a ruse to explain away wanting to drink a lot and go out every night of the work.
Speaker 1: So I wonder if I mean, I feel like that's true for a lot of people, because when I was I didn't go to college, but I did to have some years that I should have been in college where I was just waiting tables and doing stand up and definitely never would have occurred to me that I needed to quit drinking or that I was going nowhere. It was like, I'm a comedian, That's what we do. I was hanging out in comedy clubs, drinking a lot, lacking out even but I would always chalk it up to like I'm an artist. I'm fun.
Speaker 2: I'm an artist. I'm having fun. What else am I gonna do?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Like that was mine Like living in a relatively small college town, especially in the summers when half the students go away, Like what else are we going to do? Yeah, you know there's two things to do, eat drink and do drunk. I guess three do drugs. Right, there's like not going to the movies every single night. Right, I'm not spending that much. If I could spend money on the movies, I could spend money on drinking. Right, that's what I needed to do. That was more fun.
Speaker 1: We're entertaining, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I might be able to meet people, right, I might be able to make out. I might be able to you know, there's all those sorts of little things like can't do that at the movies, can't do that at the culvers, Like but you don't like those aren't like the active thoughts either, right, Like that's the it's just like this is just accepted. Everyone's going to the bar tonight every and if they're not, like sucks to be them, Like must be lame sitting at home like enjoying yourself reading or whatever. But it was. It was really tough, and it was it took a toll, Like I still like don't have a lot of memories, like strong memories from about two thousand and eight to two thousand and twelve or thirteen, and that's still years before I actually like got completely sober.
Speaker 1: So what happened? So what'd you decide to do?
Speaker 2: Well? I, uh, luckily was given the opportunity because I was a really good drunk in the sense that like I didn't have to drink, but when I did drink, I drink a lot. Because I'm also the person that's like if you go to a restaurant and you put a cup of water in front of me, like that is getting refilled throughout the night, right, So it doesn't matter what it was, I am consuming it. And so I was given the opportunity to manage a coffee to manage a coffee shop, and I was like, cool, because I have got to get out of the bar and I'm done working until three or four in the morning. As much as I liked partying, like I was not making the money to also put up with that and all of the sort of like low paying that came with it, And I had like established in my life. I'm like, Okay, well this is where I'm going to be. I need to get a job that at least pays me a little bit better. And so having this opportunity, it's like, well, a coffee shop's kind of like a bar, except opposite hours, and that'll train me to like work, you know, regular hours and be up at regular hours and I have some responsibility and I get paid a little bit more money.
Speaker 1: Is it weird that me, at the age that I am now, which is quite a bit older than you, Is it weird that I'm like, oh, managing a coffee shop like that sounds really cool. Nobody you asked me to manage anything. I've never been the boss in my entire life, and I'm kind of mad about it.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you. It felt like I struck gold because I was like, wow, I was like a manager at this music venue.
Speaker 1: I was so jealous. You had keys.
Speaker 2: I had keys because no one wanted to work till three in the morning and then come in at nine am to then count all of the money that you fucked up the count on the night before because you were all drinking booze. Right right, So, but I was stuck until this coffee shop thing, and then luckily, I like something kicked me in the ass to be like, just don't be the guy who goes out drinking all the time, right, just your responsibility. Now you've got a little bit more free time. They had read they had built a new library into that had a whole music studio in the bottom of it that like no one was using. And so I was really getting into podcasting at the time. This would have been a Brown twenty fourteen, and the one of the guys who I believe he mixed and mastered one of the first like get Up Kids albums.
Speaker 1: Oh very cool, huh.
Speaker 2: Was the guy who was running this studio or the library, and he taught me how to do everything, like I couldn't have even told you how to where to plug the microphone in, right. So I was just like, Okay, I am doing something. I am making something, even if I'm still just a you know, service industry person, which there's nothing wrong with that, but if if I'm not happy with where I'm at in my career, I can be happy with a new task. And in doing so, I my girlfriend was had already moved to new York and we had like broken up. She's moved to New York for a job, but we luckily stayed in contact after the weirdness went away from that and she was in a women's only like radio list Serve and someone knew, comedy writer Mike Sachs, who was looking for someone to help with his podcast, and Mike and I were emailing. He called me. He's like, look, I don't have any money to pay you, but I've published a lot of books and if you are looking to move to New York, I will write you any letter you need for a job. And I was like, well, that is what I need because I have no resume in this world. And I took the plunge and after a few years ended up moving to New York to get into the podcast industry, which and then I was kind of on the straight and narrow for a while. This was like the boom, This was like the gimlet was happening. Spotify hadn't bought every major podcaster at this point.
Speaker 1: I started doing a podcast in twenty fourteen. Okay, well, so my partner for a podcast that I still do called for crying out loud Lynette Corolla had started a Adam Carolla was doing his podcast, and then she got a podcast for being his wife, but then I became her partner and ever since then, So I and I didn't know what a podcast was. I was approached by the producer and I was like, I don't know what that is, and she's like, it's like a radio show but it's on the internet. And I was like, well, that sounds very cool because I love.
Speaker 2: Radio and you can edit it if you'd like, Yeah, it doesn't have to be live. And I loved it too because my degree was in theater and like script analysis, and I knew, like, well, I'm not really getting a job in that, Like I don't know how, I don't. I live in Kansas, you know. But I loved like script analysis, I loved anthropology, loved acting, I loved performing. I was the kid where Actually I think I heard John Gabers say this on a podcast once, like the first time he hit a stage and a spotlight went on him, it was like, uh, oh, I know, I like this, yeah, and that is kind of like me. But I always kind of had like which I'm getting over in my years, but like I always kind of had body image issues and so like radio and audio was like perfect for me because I could that little like twinge of discomfort could go away because it's just me. It's just my voice and my personality. And so when I got to New York, I was able to like hustle really hard, and like I worked with like finance bros who wanted like fifteen minute podcasts for their newsletters or whatnot, and I could like make my rent through these like little like micro podcasts and stuff until I had enough of a resume to apply for a place like serious XM. And in doing so, I didn't drink very much in New York. Like when I did, it was like at radio club meetings and we'd go out afterwards and I'd be celebrating and it would kind of be this like new thing where I'm like I'm with new people, So I kind of got to be on my best behavior a little bit because they don't know drunken mess Rob who had to like wake up and apologize, like I don't remember what I did? Was I okay, you know that we know that song, but like so you know, you're kind of on your best behavior, and then you meet a couple of the dudes or whoever that like to tie one on too, and then you're like, Okay, now I've got I've got some people to like hang out with that we don't have to necessarily talk business or we can specifically be like, hey, you want to go talk about projects at this bar, which then just devolves into just like drinking too much whiskey together and dane uriously trying to get home at wee hours of the night in New York City. And I kept it together for the most part. I will say, like it would happen. Those things would happen. I never got mugged, I never caused a scene, I never had anything too terribly em nothing like maybe the most embarrassing things that would happen to me when I'm like circling the drain in Kansas was really happening in New York. And I'm not exactly sure what that was, but I think it's because I had like an extra guard up, you know, Like I think I was like, I'm still new and I can't I can't fuck this up yet. And then COVID hit a couple of years later, and I found myself drinking every single during long Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you were lockdown in New York.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brooklyn, yep.
Speaker 1: And that's when things got bad.
Speaker 2: They got really bad, like not like.
Speaker 1: And you were with your girlfriend at that time, with.
Speaker 2: My girlfriend with our dog.
Speaker 1: And it's her drinking.
Speaker 2: Barely drinks, barely ever drank throughout the entire time we've ever even been together. She's like the occasional I'll have a beer when we go to a show sort of person.
Speaker 1: She just likes addicts though I guess so, like did she was she upset about it?
Speaker 2: No, because I never really did anything like I guess I hit it, you know what I mean, Because I wouldn't like drink during the work day, but I would always go buy a bottle and she'd go to sleep, and I'd play video games or watch movies and then just poor drink, poor a drink. The liquor store was directly below our apartment. Oh, of course, they're essential workers. And I would just go there and kick it up a notch. And I think this is kind of became a thing where I would binge in Kansas round these like events before lockdown, just kind of be a party guy or just like I this is my excuse, whatever the excuse was to drink more than everyone else. And now it's like, well, I have no one to like to party with except for myself. I'm bored. I'm depressed because I'm drinking. I'm a depressive because it runs in the family. I'm a people pleaser because I hate something about myself and I can't figure out what that is. But I can just have a drink and no one's gonna say anything different. If it's at night and no one's around, I think it's no big deal until I realized right as lockdown was lifting, I applied for a job in California, got the job, they moved me out, and I had I celebrated way too hard after being there for a few months, and I remember, and I can walk through that story, but just to jump to the end of it, I remember like waking up, gasping, not knowing how I got home, how I did anything, and like staring at myself in the mirror and going, you are going to fuck this up. This is the biggest opportunity in your entire life, and you are headed towards a path where you think you're untouchable and you are going to lose it all. And I called the only person I knew who was sober, and they walked me through what I needed to do. But it was I'd never had Like I feel like I almost died because of the gasp of waking up at this event. Like I felt like maybe I wasn't breathing or something.
Speaker 1: So I was scared. Was your girlfriend and had she moved out with you?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah? And she picked me up from where I was.
Speaker 1: So you went out by yourself or with like new co workers? Tell me the story. I love a good bottom story.
Speaker 2: Oh, my buddy, Peter Madrigal from vander Pump Rules, okay, asked me to go for a brunch hang on a Sunday.
Speaker 1: So, what was the job that you came out for. Did it have something to do with vander Pump Rules, because something that we haven't not talked about yet is that you do a podcast about vander Pump Yeah, yeah, vander Pump Rules. You're friends with a lot of these guys. Where you were? I? Okay? So, Peter, yeah, I I What was the job?
Speaker 2: So? I came out for a job working at Team Coco. So I was producing a podcast for Rob low his podcast. Literally that was my job. I was like the main producer.
Speaker 1: Didn't that just start?
Speaker 2: No, it's been round for a few years, but I think I think it's gone through some iterations. Right, So they're doing like video and stuff now, but I haven't been with them for a couple of years. Okay, But I think this is informative because Rob is famously.
Speaker 1: Sober, very famously sober.
Speaker 2: And that comes up so much on the podcast, and I am like, oh, so this is such a great story for someone to have a redemption whatever, you know. But like when I trace my step back, it's like, oh, I'm being fed these things like you have a problem and I don't even realize it, right, Like I'm I'm like in maybe not internalizing, but like once I decided, and I'll tell you this story, but like once I decided to get sober, I was like, oh, I have all this evidence of all of these people talking about the problems they have. Oh yeah, that's kind of like me. That's kind of like me too. This Oh okay, maybe maybe this was the job I needed at the time, but yeah, I was. I do this Vanderpump podcast for fun, right, and I've had a moderate amount of success with it. I have this big project that's tied at the podcast that I can. I'll come back on the pod and talk about that soon, but it is it was a hobby. It was a fun thing for me to do. But I met Peter because of the podcast, and he was like, when you get to La, let's hang out. And I went to a barbecue with him where I got really fucked up at and not dangerous, but you know, just I'm partying. I'm in La, I'm with Peter Peter Madrigal, Like, what what is going on here? And then he invites me to get brunch. I've been there for about two months, three months maybe, and we go to Pump and we get bottomless mimosas and I specifically remember ordering avocado toast and I can't eat onions and it was loaded with onions, so I like was politely just like eating the crust of the toast and drinking a lot of bottomless mimosas. And then Peter was like, let's go to the cigar bar down the street. Okay, go to a cigar bar where we just he just orders me like tequila shots, and so we just start sipping tequila, taking shots every now and again, smoking cigars, which I don't do like I'm not a cigar guy. I don't know what that I mean, but you know, six mimosas and three tequila shots later, I'm a cigar guy, you know.
Speaker 1: And I have a friend who told me so. I did a bunch of coke when I was like nineteen, from the age of nineteen to like literally for like six months, and I saw the writing on the wall. I was like, I'm going to be a cocore if I continue to like do cocaine. I got to quit doing cocaine. I quit. I think I did it one more time because somebody offered it to me. But I have a friend when I was doing stand up. I have a friend who told me many years later so that every single time I got drunk with him, I tried to buy cocaine off a stranger. And I was like, I know, I never did it again, so apparently I never nobody ever had it to sell me. But I don't remember that, but he swears. I was like, I'm sure I didn't, And he's like, every single time you got drunk, you tried to find somebody to sell you cocaine.
Speaker 2: I will say, like towards my last few years, in Kansas, like someone started having the co cocup, and let me tell you, cocain Kansas is not cocaine. Other places it is fine. I guess I didn't really have much to compare it to, right, but I really liked it. And there was also a point in time, not to backtrack too far, that like I was going through a breakup and so depressed, and this Ta that I was friends with, he was also going through a breakup and he was depressed, and he got a prescription to Adderall and I loved Adderall. But then he moved away and I did not, and I said, I'm not going to seek this out because I loved it, and he just wanted someone to drink with, and oh, yeah, here, have one, have one, stay hang out. Let's let's be friends, you know. And so I do know that I like that a lot as well. And luckily I never got into that in New York or LA, because I would be dead, literally, like I just know I would be dead, especially with fentanyl and everything else. Like I I would drink too much and not give a shit about anything else. And so Peter and I are having cigars, and that's about the last thing I remember but apparent we went to another bar around West Hollywood. I don't know, We're like we were having a ball, like I'm told, yeah, and then we go home or go go to his place, and I this is where I only have like flashes of memory, but like I remember falling down. Peter and his brother like picking me up and being like, yo, dude, we called your girlfriend. She's here. And they told me later on that what they had to do was they pulled my phone and like did the facial recognition. Luckily they knew my girlfriend's name and like found her and called her. And let me tell you this, It's eight o'clock at night, Like it is not this is this is not like the four in the morning or something. We've been drinking all day. It's like, yeah, we had started like maybe eleven am. And uh, she comes and picks me up. They carry me in the car, the dogs in the back seat, because he can't be left alone, especially in a new apartment.
Speaker 1: She stops.
Speaker 2: I remember like hitting my head on the passenger side window more than once because I can't keep my head up. She's at like some gas station, like buying gatorades or something maybe to keep me hydrated. I mean, bless her heart, because like I don't know if I could have had the patience for dealing with such a pathetic, you know person here. And then, like I said, I woke up gasping in the next morning, not knowing how I got home. The washing machine is running, So I have a feeling someone washed my clothes for some reason the night before, any number of reasons. Quite frankly, I know, I'm.
Speaker 1: Hoping it's not the worst case scenario.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping it's not the worst. And guess what, I never asked, but I have a feeling that I'm sure I just puked on myself.
Speaker 1: But let's tell that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what. You know what, even if it is worse, it's never happening again, as as much as I can hope for. Uh, the I hop on the call and I called my friend John DeVore, who I'm just gonna plug. His book. It's called Theater Kids. It's a story of him being a drunk idiot, and it's one of the one of the best books I've memoirs I've read about that And my favorite part is because it's not your cookie cutter story. I'll just put it that way. I think it ends in a very unique way for a drunk person memoir.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm writing, I'm writing it down John DeVore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, John DeVore, Theater kids, and it's the theater with an R E.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Uh. And I was like, John, I don't know what to do. I don't know what's going on. I have an issue, and of course I'm like probably still drunk, right, Like I'm chaotic, panicking. And I was like, I guess I need you to like be my sponsor or something. He was like, well, I can't do that because you're my friend. He was like, but and he gave me what I've learned is a very good line. He's like, you might not be an alcoholic, but why don't you go to a meeting and listen to some other people talk. I was an alcoholic, very much was an alcoholic. And I think that's such.
Speaker 1: Good advice though, because I think that when when you're not sure if you're an alcoholic, right, and I know plenty of people who are like, oh god, I knew I was an alcoholic. I just didn't know how to get sober. But when you're somebody and me like you because you'd gone through periods, it sounds like that you weren't out of control, and then it's like you, I relate to you a lot because to me, I was never like every single day just getting hammered, but it was always but when I did, it seemed pretty bad, and I couldn't predict when those times would be, you know, and I always wanted to. It's like, oh, I just want to not get fucked up because this is kind of like a nice evening with my husband's friends or whatever. And then it's like, oh, that night I had to like get too drunk. I didn't mean to. I never meant to. But when I first got sober. You know, if somebody I felt like people that were alcoholics that went to like twelve step meetings, I thought they were all just trying to get everybody else to be alcoholics. So it wouldn't have worked very well for me. If people were like, well, you definitely are an alcoholic, you belong here. I think that would have freaked me out. The fact that people were very much like you're like John's and going like hey, I don't know, like but maybe it should just come to a meeting and like check it out and like can't hurt. I had a lot of that. Yeah, yeah, so I and I really wanted to quit drinking. Don't get me wrong. I was desperate to quit drinking, but I just wasn't wanting the label right away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's similar to me too, because I I knew at that point I needed to stop, like because I was also you know, in a state at the point in time where I could go buy weed legally, and I spent a lot of money on pot, like a lot, because as I learned through the program, Like, there's a lot of things I was trying to numb, you know, there was just just stuff I'd never faced myself and realized I was distracting. But like much like at my example with the glass of water at a restaurant, like if I'd go buy a ten pack joint combo thing, right like, it would be one after the other after the other. So there was something about consumption for me. There was something about not being able to stop and just keep that high or keep that drunk, or keep that whatever going. And and I don't know why, right like, and I may never know exactly why besides the things that I didn't like about myself, but it was so much easier to just be stoned all day, because stoned all day is not drunk all day. There's the there's also that that I learned, like I could operate pretty well stone. I mean, I'm sure everyone fucking knew, but like I could still get my work done and I could focus and I could do this. But it is I mean, but the booze was the thing where it's like socially acceptable to go out and party, but I never knew how to have two. I never knew how to have just three, right like yeah, same he It was not why the hell am I drinking if I'm not going to have fun drinking, which ultimately, of course ended up not being fun, but it was really fun as it was happening, and all of my inhibitions went to the wind, and I just it didn't make sense to me why anyone would go have a glass of wine, and then why would you even choose wine if you're gonna have one drink? Like what like? And I still don't understand it. I really don't, Like I won't do it myself, but like, I don't get what the point is. I've never been able to figure that out. And I people will tell me. I still just don't get it.
Speaker 1: I don't get it either, certainly not for the taste. I mean, yeah, you know, I could disguise drinks martinis and have you know, sour apple martinis or what have you. But I wasn't going to drink that, like unless it had alcohol in it, Like, I'm not gonna like it wasn't for the taste, So why would I have one? Yeah, that's not going to make me buzzed. It's not going to give me the feeling I want. So why would I bother doing something that doesn't taste good?
Speaker 2: And don't even try and give me tell me about Tannin's Like, I'm not here to listen anything about why it's good. I don't care. If I'm not buzzed, it does not matter. And I do not care if you are offering me top shelf anything or the gutter that it's all doing the same thing. It does not matter. Otherwise.
Speaker 1: So you go to a meeting at the advice of John and do you hear what does anything resonate? Are you like, Ah, this doesn't really apply to me. What happens? Did you stay sober from that point? Was that three years ago?
Speaker 2: Yeah. From that point I stayed. I have stayed sober.
Speaker 1: Okay, but here is a long time by the way, congratulations, Well.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. Thank you. I but I still like fought and I still do kind of like push back at AA a little bit. You know, I think it is at its core a good system, but I don't think it's a system that works for everyone.
Speaker 1: And fully agree, Yeah, but it is.
Speaker 2: A great starting point if you need camaraderie, if you need people, if you need a place to go, it is a place to go with other people who are struggling. I pushed back a lot because to me, it was like, I'll stay sober, I'll go to these meetings, I will be honest, I will talk about my problems anything that I'm struggling with. But I almost treated it more like a therapy session. And then I did actually working any of the actual program they try and do getting a sponsor, you know, trying figuring all of that out. Not for me for like three months, Like I would just I would go to the meeting and I would listen and I would share when I have a particularly bad day, I would share longer.
Speaker 1: Right, But that's pretty good. Only that was for three months. That's relatively people do.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, well, but you know, here's the thing. I'm comparing myself to the other story. I wanted to get, but I also didn't because I also wanted that loophole.
Speaker 1: But now looking back, You're like, I wasn't working hard enough.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, yeah, because there's also like that thing in my head where I'm was like, well, you know, maybe maybe i'll drink again, you know, like maybe this is what I need right now, and maybe in five years i'll drink again. Is you know, maybe I'm not now alcoholic. So I like it was kind of straddling that line. I was like, right now, I know I don't want to drink, and I'm going to keep doing that until the day that I'm like, hey, maybe i'll drink again, right And luckily I don't think that way anymore. But that's how it was for a good amount of time when I was first going to AA meetings, and then one day I was sharing about I think I told this story about how I was like one semester left in college and had to do like a couple of credits, so I had to like act in some one act plays and like at this point, I was like beyond the like acting part of theater and film. I was just like doing script stuff. But I was like, oh, I have to get like these three credits, so I have to like act in a one act for someone. And I did not care. I memorized the lines, you know, but I was still going out partying, and there was like one night where I partied really hard, fell down the steps and then like I guess I cut my arm open on a coffee and I because I just like woke up to my alarm the next day and it's like still drunk, but I have to go to this rehearsal for this thing, and to me in my head, I'm like, this is the best performance I've ever given for this drunk brother eating cold ravioli out of the can because it was it was cool, like I would do this, not eat at all, putting the pieces together. And then afterwards the person the director was like, okay, great, you can leave now, and I left and as I'm like walking out the hallway, there's like all this dried blood on my arm and on my shirt and like ID like a stain on my face, probably maybe from the ravioli but like this person I could tell was like a student. It's like a graduate student directing this like god, damn it, just I need to finish this play. I can tell they're just like this kid is a fuck up. So anyway, I'm like telling this story and like relating it back to It's around the time I had got dumped, and I was just like really using every excuse to like give myself permission to drink. I mean, I talked about when my brother died, like that was really sad, and I was like, ah, he died because of booze, but this like I get like a free pass, like if I get really fucked up, Oh, don't worry. His brother died right right right. So selfish, just so incredibly selfish. And so I would talk about that in the meeting. I would talk about getting dumped and having these reasons and then not feeling valued and this, uh, this guy came up to me and he was like afterwards, he'd never I'd never seen him at this meeting before, but he like stayed outside until I left, and he was like, dude, do you have a sponsor? Even I was like no, I don't know if I really need one. I'm not sure if I'm ready for that or anything. He was like, well, why don't we do this, Like why don't you get like a tempt sponsor? And I'm happy to be, like, you're imp sponsor because like I think there's like a couple of things that are like easier to talk about one on one rather than like coming to these meetings and just like verbal vomiting and dumping. And I was like, yeah, that sounds that sounds good of course, much like with John, like that guy becomes my sponsor, you know, and and you know, we ebb and flow on when we talk these days because I moved away, But like that's exactly like sort of like it almost feels like a trick, but it's not a trick because they know what you need to hear at that moment to like get the best out of the potential that you could be doing. Yeah, and and he really helped me work through all the steps. And that's when I realized that like even if I don't like quote believe in God or whatever, like my higher powers, whatever, I need my higher power to be and I don't have to like buy into a lot of things with AA. But like if I look at it as like a a worksheet or like like a way that I can wrap my head around it, Like I can kind of ignore some of the more like holier than thou aspects of it and still stay sober and keep myself in check when I'm trying to, like I don't know, control others or play god or something like that. So that's that's kind of where I have I've been. And then I met one of my to this day, one of my best friends in the program because I was wearing a Tom Tom shirt I bought during COVID and he was like, is that like from Vanderpofe Rules And I was like yeah, and he's like, I've also got a reality TV podcast and just kind of like hit it off. Yeah, but I will keep that anonymous.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, sure, yeah, yeah, but it's been great.
Speaker 2: And so it's like, not only did I have a friend who has a same hobbies as me, he also you know, we can call each other if we're having a little bit of an issue with meetings or whatnot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I just I really relate to you. I have the same thing. And I've been going, you know, sixteen years, I've been sober but I do feel the same way. I'm not like a I mean, I have a regular meeting that I go to every week, and then I have or probably well one that I go to every single week. I have a commitment, but then and then I have a one or two that I might catch as catch can, but I don't. I've still not a god person. It's not I mean, and but I also feel the exact same way that there's a framework. There's a way of looking at situations which used to baffle us. There's a way of looking at like my own behavior that I really couldn't do before. And there's a way of like looking at my childhood which was like pretty chaotic in my relationships with my mother and stepfather. And I was very defensive and you couldn't tell me anything. I just thought you were trying to attack me. I couldn't take any criticism, and it was very hard, like with my husband, you know, I mean, he I mean, I'm not saying I'm one hundred percent better. I still it's I'm still hard to talk to, I'm still hard to criticize, but I'm better at it. I don't immediately go like, oh my god, you're you're leaving me and you hate me, and well why are you even with me?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: But I have had so many fights with him, you know when I was drinking, where I would go, well, then why are you with me? Why do you even like me? If I'm so horrible, like I go from I would go from zero to one hundred. And it was all like a protection, you know, like I either have to be perfect or I'm the shittiest. And I do believe that the that twelve steps helped me deal with some a lot of unresolved I guess I'm just relating to what you're saying, but it doesn't know I'm right there, meaning that I like get on my knees and do prayers or that you have to. And whenever people say to me like, oh I don't want to do that because like it's a religious thing, I go, it's really not. You don't have to do anything. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the big thing for me too, Like someone put it in my sponsor to put it in the framework of like, look, man, I was raised Jewish and I go to these meetings where sometimes they're ending with like the Lord's prayer. Yeah, like he's like, this is not something that I do, and I just like kind of compartmentalize those things because like, to me, a higher power could mean like the energy I get from just like when I feel good after going to a meeting, right, Like, it's just like that's something that's out of my control but made me feel a certain way. So like if you need to put in any sort of framework like that, He's like that at least like keeps you from like convincing yourself that you could have another drink. He's like, do what you gotta do. But it is that framework. And let me tell you, I'm getting ready to move back to Los Angeles, but I moved out near Joshua Tree and going to meetings in the middle of the desert that like have been going on for twenty plus years and it's the same like five people and like then being the new guy who's like maybe the closest to my age is ten years older than me. Right, that gave me perspective on how different meetings could work, because I went to a handful of different LA meetings as well. But I mean amount of people there who will say something, well, I will say are very much not religious, but are like but the program fucking works for me, brother, you know, or something like, I realized that there are no hard and fast rules. But these concepts, the concepts have helped so many people. And unfortunately, like someone in the in the meeting I go to out here recently passed away and he had a very good life. He was up there, he like started this meeting. He's been like a pillar of the small community out here. And when I went and visited him in the hospital, we spent an hour just like talking about you know, like essentially one day at a time. But how He's like, I'm in a fucking hospital bed, rob, I could be pissed that I'm dying every single day. He's like, but I don't know if I'm gonna die fucking tonight in my sleep, or if I'm gonna die in six months. I don't know. So I'm not gonna spend every single day pissed off that I'm gonna die, or that I'm worried that I'm gonna die or I didn't do this last thing. It's like, I'm gonna do my best to have a good day and then if I get another good day, that's gonna be great. And I recently shared that conversation after he passed away, because it hit me so hard that like, because I do I worry about the bullshit and I'm moving and it's annoying and it's like so stressful and chaotic and that could but that could be anything. It doesn't have to be because I'm moving and and someone and also shared with me later like, yeah, we don't know when we're going to die. You can't control when you're going to die. Like that's a control thing too, And it's like do you want to find out you're dying and then be like God, damn, I was pissed all day long, and your last day alive was being pissed off. Like that sucks, you know, Like or if you decide to drink your last day alive, is you going like, well, I fucking picked up the bottle again, woe is me? Tears and my beers, you know, and like that these are just things that I get from these meetings that i'm and like the people that I meet that I'm just like so like it really resets me when I'm like not when I forget to like one minute, one hour, one day, whatever, it is when I get really worked up because I've been worked up recently because of this, you know, living surrounded by boxes and a dog, you know, yeah, and my girlfriend and why and.
Speaker 1: Joshua Tree in the first place.
Speaker 2: I well, I mean just circumstances of I moved to LA for the job and then they barely had me ever go into an office. So I was like, and we went through three management companies in one year of having an apartment in LA, and I was like, I think they're going to raise our rent. Maybe we should just go. Interest rates are lower than they've ever been. Let's see if we can buy a house, honey. And we loved vacationing in Joshua Tree. Well, living in it is not the same. And so we were like, we'll give ourselves five years and we made and we made it three. So we realize, uh, you know, it wasn't for us. And then shortly after I moved out here, they were like, actually, we want you to drive in two or three days a week to the office. And I was like, what, I can't. I can't do that. And then I got a different job, so okay, And it wasn't Conan. It wasn't Conan. I'll tell you this, this is like serious XM bought that network and then rules started changing because got.
Speaker 1: It, got it all right, Well tell us the podcast, tell promote, promote away, Hey, I appreciate it. Robs is the Yes.
Speaker 2: That is the podcast.
Speaker 1: Now why is it to Robs or is it?
Speaker 2: Well, it's just it's vander Pump r O B S. And then I'll have usually my co host is Kate Shapiro, very incredible writer. I used to produce a Star Trek podcast where the hosts would call me producer Robs because of Rob Shualty. And they on tour one day said like, if you ever do a show like ours but it's vander Pump, you should call it vander Pump Robs and like I was like, hey, I'll honor you guys with that when I make the show. And uh so the vander Pump Robs wherever you get your podcas it's not Patreon as well, And I will say the fun thing I've been doing this summer with my friend Molly McLear is a yeah, We've been doing a show called have Zi's where while her show trend Lightly is on a hiatus, we're filling that time with have Zi's, which Molly brings a topic, I bring a topic, and we just each share one thing we want the other one to hear about. So those are the two projects I'm promoting right now. And I'm really really happy that we were able to connect because I do really like your podcasts and this has been a blest being able to share my story with you.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. Well, everybody that was Rob Shulty and go check out his podcast, give him a download. Why not follow him on Instagram, which is also vander pump Rob's I believe is the is the Instagram great? Need some followers.
Speaker 2: I know I'm not good at social media, but I would love some followers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, everybody, Thank you so much and I will see you next week.
Speaker 2: Bye. Sorry, Line and it's gutting dealing. Line is doing is going again? My dart It time you got