Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Deep Blue Sea the podcast. I am Mark Shark writer Hofmeyer, and I am Jay.
Speaker 2: This is Bess Clerks. Welcome to your board. Deeply see the podcast. On this show, we've been through the entire Deep Blue Sea traergy scene by scene we're doing again. We've already won for guests and this is Deep c one, chapter thirty one. What happens in chapter thirty one, Let's have a listen.
Speaker 3: Howter tries to climb out of the water. He's in the wholesome of fallen latter runs. The shark nears, so he gives up and swims down. Opting is said to wrangle the shark it sends his teeth in a terrifying manner. How to grab the sharks fin and rise it to the surface. Meanwhile, Preacher is alive and climb out of the tower with the hopoon gun as the whole audience cheers. Carda takes a deep breath as the sharks emerges again, dragging him along. Richard painfully stands his feet on top of the tower as a shark takes Carter on an underwater tour through the struts and bowels of Aquatico. Preacher raised the gun. As the shark surfaces with Carter still clinging on, Preacher takes aim.
Speaker 4: All right, lord dune it breage, this is the scar shoot it.
Speaker 3: He fires the bolt, whizzing through the air, go through the shark's fin and Carter's thigh.
Speaker 4: Ah wow, wod preach low it the battery it.
Speaker 3: The gun is wrenched from Preacher's hand as Carter struggles to extricate himself from the bolt it. Carter is dragged back underwater as Preacher picks at the table end and considers his choices.
Speaker 2: So that was DEPC one, Chapter toty one. We have a wonderful guest, johnn Yesterday. He becomes highly recommended from our former guest Maria Lewis, who is directing an upcoming film called untitled Shark movie that we cannot wait to see, and he's actually in it and provided some shark expertise for the production of it. We're looking forward to him, he says. It's doctor Darren McPhee. Darrel, welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Thrilled to have you here. We love having shark experts on the show because this is a shark movie and Mark and I just kind of like sharks. But we like to talk to people who like form even more than we do, and you.
Speaker 1: Stay busy out there. I've been reading your article or articles. It seems like every time something happens in Australia or beyond, you get a call. So I've been reading a lot of your interviews about like repopped, like moving away tiger sharks, but then they just come back months later, and like, I've learned a lot about the shark ecosystem in Australia today reading your your interviews and articles. So I appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Go thank you. Yes, it's certainly. I certainly do a lot of media. Some of the media you'll see sort of quite fun. It's designed that way, so more lighthearted and more infotainment. But obviously it's very different when I'm talking directly about an actual serious Bindo fatality. So you'll see that very deliberate and legitimate change in time from discussions and those sorts of discussions at the time, we are very difficult, it's very heightened stress, and my focus is always on the victim, the first responders in their family.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Yeah, yeah, So I have a question, what's your what Sorry to jump in this, But what's your history of Deep Blue Sea? By the way, Like, this is a random show for you to be on, but I just want to know if you love it, right, this is your second favorite shark film behind Jaws? Correct, it is.
Speaker 5: It's the second My second favorite shark film behind Untied Shark movie hasn't been shot yet. I think I'm contractually obliged to say that. But no, Look, I'm I've got my next book coming out of Sharks down Under. So in that book, I've sort of have a whole section of sharks in the media, which is now sort of more sharks in movies. So it's a bit of a content analysis there. So whilst I white claim to have watched the about one hundred and nine shark movies, is obviously a couple that are that are standing out. It's Jaws is obviously the og, but obviously Deep Blue Sea given the caliber of actors and actresses that were in it and so more attention to detail, it was a movie that clearly try to elevate itself and succeededstrom above that b level to something that was there was a little bit more.
Speaker 1: Substantive, and I love all movies do that this could have been a B level film, but they threw seventy million dollars at it. There's some very good set pieces, and the sharks by Walt Conti, looked great. I think the makos look gorgeous. I mean I've watched the videos and the like, you know, marine biologists, people like shark experts. They say that the animatronics, not the VFX, look gorgeously kind of like makos that have been genetically modified. And that makes me happy about this movie, like they actually did it right ish.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Look, I think we should never expect them to be one hundred percent accurate, but it certainly didn't look like a Maco Sharks, didn't look like a parody of a Maco Shark. They looked pretty good. And particularly since it's we're not talking about a movie that was shot this year or last year, it's got a bit of uh, it's a while ago, so for its time, it's excellent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: The chapter to about Today has my favorite bit with the sharks in it, which is when the teeth kind of come out a bit more. I'm not sure what the term is for it, but as it's kind of like about to bite, about to attack car to the teeth just kind of come out more. I haven't seen that in any other film, and that's always like a visual that's stuck in my head as like being that shot from this this this scene. Is that accurate? Does that happen with with with Mako sharks or sharks in general? Do the teeth extend when required?
Speaker 5: It does? Hey, so, and it's believed to be. Yeah, look at it. It's great. And that obviously struck me cinematically as well, thinking geez, that's a good shot, and hey, they've got that right. So it does. And there's several different, several different explanations for that. One is and it pushes the sharks jewels closer to its price, sort of an extra second the bit that and I've slowed down that bit and watched it several times and it's hinted at but it's not clear, and that's fine. Is that the other part of that binding reaction is that the the shark's eyes roll back and that happens naturally, and it is just hinted in that scene as well fleetingly. So that's an adaptation to protect the shark's eyes when it's going in to bite something.
Speaker 2: We talked about that briefly on our previous chapter, because as the shark kind of smells or senses the blood in the water from when Susan cuts her hand, you see the shark's eyes go from white to black and then just about to attack Susan and they go back here from black to white again. So I'm guess I'm assuming that's also accurate when it senses the blood go black.
Speaker 5: It is. And look, in terms of the Maco Shark, it was just good to see the Maco Shark get its day in the sun. That given that it's on the Jaws poster, but it wasn't even credited.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, that was a there's a maker in the Jaws. That was a makeup on the Jaws poster.
Speaker 5: The poster is in Mico Shark.
Speaker 1: Yeah wait, well you're.
Speaker 5: Obviously that's ally at the time determined that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, Hollywood at the time must have determined, as Hollywood did did they wanted something more slender than the slightly rotund front end of a white shark, so they shoved in a Mico shark.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, We've been doing this podcast since twenty twenty and I never knew that. And I do a lot of research. I'm a researcher. I've never I never realized that you just made my night and you made Jay's morning and then you're more. That's amazing. That makes me so happy. Like all I asked for movies is for them to try. Like you know, I played tennis for years and I would watch movies about tennis, and the tennis was horrifying and it just really depressed me. Or I worked on a lot of film sets, and you know, movies about making movies, they're just so bad. Sometimes they don't try, and I get frustrated by that. So it's kind of nice when you see something and people are like, obviously, you can't show a real movie being made in a movie because you got to have some entertainment value because it's mainly just people in like cargo shorts yelling at each other. Like it's not exciting at all, but it's it's nice when you see like something on screen where people actually tried or they did something smart. So it's kind of neat that they had the eyes roll back and the teeth come out. That that makes me happy like this, you know, I think a lot of movies don't try that, and at least this one did.
Speaker 5: I do, and I'm trying. And it's not a criticism all because it's done in all movies. Is it something that if I was giving advice ter make it even more realistic? The sharp PI point of view shots, the po view shots. It's in standard color. I've sort of tweaked into shark vision, which would be more of a high black and white highlight contrast. So I've always thought that would have been visually a nice visual addition to sort of drawing the drawing the viewer's attention. Again, Also, it's black and white. What's happened? Oh that's how sharks see things.
Speaker 2: We're talking about the Anaconda franchise on this show as well sometimes and a recent one had like a snake vision where everything was yellow down the center of the screen. So I don't know, I just how we need to get a herpatologist on for that. I guess I don't know how accurate that is.
Speaker 5: But yeah, yeah, I don't do snakes, so so I won't comment on snake vision. It's not my thing.
Speaker 1: No worries note to sell. Yeah, I won't call you about that. I'm an entomologist friend. But I don't have a herpetologist friend. We need to, we need to, we need to find somebody. Jay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got a bug guy as well. You've got to have a bug guy in your life. You've got to have something. You find a random bug center, a picture, Hey, what's this?
Speaker 1: They help on we talk about Starship Troopers for sure.
Speaker 2: I was a guest on King Kong. Talk about the bug scene. I send him like, hey, Pool, are these accurate?
Speaker 1: And he's like, no, that's a horrifying scene right there. Have you seen the King Kong scene, doctor Darryl?
Speaker 5: I haven't.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Jackson's two thousand and five King Kong remake. It's one of my favorite films.
Speaker 1: It's horrifying because you're like, I'm watching King Kong, this is great. And then there's this nightmare scene in a in a cavern with these bugs attack and Andy, I won't say anything, but it gets it gets pretty gnarly, So I like it. I like that a lot. Real quick, what do you think about the the there's some good shark movies coming out of Australia last year with dangerious animals and a beast of war and what was the other one Jay with the truck below Fear below. Did Were you able to watch any of those or did you?
Speaker 5: I haven't the first The first two are on my list because I've sort of in my book, I've sort of discussed the shark movies made and shot in Australia and where they've been shot. So the other two I need to first two in particular, I need to go and sort of a have a look.
Speaker 1: At got It. Yeah, it's interesting, Beat as well. Yeah, Pete's good. Yeah, Beat Beat three D. The all the filmmakers though, they basically said they wanted to make a movie, and the producers just told them, like, listen, just make a shark movie, put a shark in it. And then they were able to kind of get projects off the ground. So it's kind of interesting in this climate where you know, you toss a shark in it, it's a lot easier to get funding. They're kind of just universally play across the world, don't they. It is.
Speaker 5: One of the first shark movies was Tiger Shark I think it was in nineteen thirty two, which was a romance drama, and the shark bit was that the the Maya lead had his was a tuna fisherman who had his hand bitten off by a shark. So so obviously, if you're going to call it tiger shark, you're going to call a movie tiger shark. These days, you want more shark than they were able to put in the movie in nineteen thirty two. Yeah, but yeah, So look, there's a long cinematic history of sharks. It actually started before Jaws. But as I said before, Sharks of the Jaws is the og of shark movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how has that worked against her for you? Like for conservation? And I mean, you know, I guess I've always loved shark movies that They've always been my thing. But I've never been like, yeah, I'm gonna go kill a shark because you know, Jaws is terrible. I'm like, that's their turf. So I've never been like had that reaction. But has it been like I would assume most people watching movies don't take it too seriously this month like that fear, but like, how has that herder help their plate in the decades since Jaws? Oh?
Speaker 5: Look, it's a it's a bit of a dilemma. I think, certainly in the US after Jaws, Like in the immediate aftermath of the release of the movie, there was certainly a lot more active shark shark hunting, including to extract the Jaws, then including for large sharks such as great whites and make coast. Look, there's a diversity views in the scientific community on them. My view is that shark movies are not going to go away.
Speaker 2: With an accounting on it.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, you are, so. Again, it comes down to they're not set for I actually I'm actually was more critical historically if the Discovery Channel for Discovery Channel marketing fictional stories as documentaries, and there was a history of them doing.
Speaker 1: That, or the Mermaid one, Yeah, the.
Speaker 5: Mermaid one, the Shark of Darkness is there is the other one where there was a fictitious Meglodon that was marketed as killing killing people off South Africa and those bites didn't occur. I think that's actually a more concern than obviously fictional stories deep Blue Sea, Sharknado, et cetera. So, and look, most students are fascinated by sharks, and most students come from a wide range of places. They're not environmental science students. Mostly they're business students from from Boston. They're all sorts of students from Norway, Sweden, and I asked about why what this fascination is with sharks, and we're just I just love them, we love watching them in movies, we feed them, and we want to know more about them. So there's two sides to that coin. So, and I haven't known anybody in a contemporary sense. Suddenly the young people that's watched a shot movie and then thinks I bet a gout and kill all the shops. Yeah, I'm saying to be a seventies thing rather than a twenty twenties thing.
Speaker 1: Got it? Yeah, you know one interesting thing. And you're right about the like movies portraying themselves real. And in twenty ten, when I was working on my masters it's in media and communication studies, I did a thing about shark finning and how just there's thousands upon thousands upon thousands of articles about shark attacks, but then there were very few about the finning of sharks, which is killaid millions. And I don't want to get political or whatever, like you know, talk about cultural reasons, but it's interesting how you don't need you don't need like a fake a shark movie portraying it as real, because there's already enough out there about the shark attacks around the world because people are fascinated by that. But I just thought that was kind of a bummer that, like millions of sharks being killed, but then like we're talking like a thousand times the amount or just about the attacks. So it's just I don't know. Yeah, I guess you don't. You don't need more of that out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hey, Jays, I think that's the first time I've ever been one hundred percent right.
Speaker 2: I like that, I think so, Yeah, we'll mark it on the calendar. And so we had another shark expert on recently and we asked him this question too. Is there a shark your favorite shark that hasn't appeared in films that you've seen yet? Do you have like a shark you want to see get its its day in the sun.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And that don't have to be a tiny shark, the cookie cut of shark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said the same one.
Speaker 5: There we go, just because of all the of all the diversity of sharks, we've got this little weirdo that runs around with ridiculous teeth and just goes up to a while or a dolphin and drills a hole in it and takes a plug of flesh.
Speaker 1: And wheel and a dolphin.
Speaker 5: Yes, so there's yes. They attack pray much larger than themselves and they just take a chunk out is his nice circular ta literally is a cookie cutter and eats it and swims off and hangs around for the next bite. There's one shark bite. There's one. One actual shark bite in Australia was from a cookie cutter shark in Townsville, so in Queensland, so adjacent to the Great Barrier Reef. It swam through a swimming enclosure and bit an eight year old boy on the leg and took off. And then there was an around the world sailor who was sailing in his inflatable boat, had pretty much circumnavigated most of the globe and as soon as he entered Australian waters, the cookie cutter sharks drilled holes in his inflatable boat. So that's just classic Australia. But look, I just think if a cookie cutter shark didn't exist and it appeared as a fictional shark in a movie, people would say, geez, that's weird, but it actually exists.
Speaker 1: And they should genetically modify it, make them eight feet long and then a storm happens and they get let loose.
Speaker 5: That seems to me. Yeah, that'd be close. Imagine that. And I thought cookie cut a shark it coun drill holes in anything.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and also like evolutionary wise, it's smart that they're small, right, because they can just do hidden runs on larger things, Like it makes sense, like a mosquito. They're so small they can just get on you and get off. They're bigger, they could get most easier. Like, that's pretty pretty good evolutionary trade of theirs, just to get in and out right.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, and from from a memory, that's sort of the trade of salmon way for a mile seven. You either need to be large or you need to be small.
Speaker 1: Yeahs would go upstream, yes, and to reproduce to that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I mean that there is a that has cookie Cutt of sharks in it, which is Shark Night three D from twenty to eleven, which has like a bunch of different sharks in it, which mark Mark Clakes far more than I who.
Speaker 1: Yeah, film it's like a bunch of spring breakers. Go to a Louisiana somewhere in these black market guys like they have sharks and they film people getting eat by sharks and sell them on the black market.
Speaker 5: And one of the yes, funny, funny, you mentioned spring breakers. So my movie analysis suggests that the biggest risk of someone being killed in a movie by a shark is to be a college student, typically on spring break, to be female, and to be wearing a two piece bikini, not a one piece swimsuit. So that's that's the factors which increases the risk in movies of somebody being killed by a shark.
Speaker 2: I'm just watching Mark's eyes go wide, because he loves doing these stats I'm known.
Speaker 1: For, like my d I figured out how far the sharks swam and jaws avenge. I figured out how the creature followed and it follows. I figure out how much it was in the money stack at dark night. It's like the data that you just dropped on me. I'm both happy and jealous what you came up with.
Speaker 2: It's just watching Mark's face was one.
Speaker 1: It's like why I was like, this is amazing, But why haven't I thought of that yet? I gotta see these results when your book comes out, I'll buy it. I'll be uh yeah, and look.
Speaker 5: And and and we're introduced to the shark in Deep Blue Sea early in the movie in a similar scenario with the group on the boat when the wine spills in the water.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I one dice surve It's kind of crazy that the shark lets them live, but the shark just wanted to get caught. It was like a test because as soon as Carter Blake shoots it with that trank, it stops just dead still and the boat goes nowhere. So I like smart sharks.
Speaker 5: And it obviously didn't like the vintage of.
Speaker 1: It's a cab guy cab so in like, you know, what do you what are your favorite moments in Deep Lucy? I mean we talked about Russell Franklin, but how much do you love Stellin Scar's guard being taken on a ride and uses a battering. Does that that brings you joy? Right, because that's a that's a hilarious not hilarious, but it's just a great scene.
Speaker 5: It is And he's one of my favorite actors since I watched and or particular second season where he.
Speaker 1: Just stole her.
Speaker 5: Where he basically as we all know Star Wars had a bit of a rocky contemporary time the franchise, but it was just an out standout performance.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 5: And the fact that not even I was expecting him to lose his h uh to for his arm to fall off, and it.
Speaker 1: Just uses a battering round on there. That just makes me, I don't know, you know, I know a lot of Sam Jackson he gets at the credit, but that that kill keeps it in the press. But that's still my favorite because that shark swims around with him for a long time and then uses him as a bat as a battering I love that someone wrote that in a screenplay. You know what, he catches a gurn, he swims around with it us Like, that's that shark day you just dropped in that scene. Make me very happy. I guess that brings me a lot of a lot of happiness.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it was an original. It was because you're right, it's just thinking it would have just been a one line in the screen probably in the screenply us Day as battering Ram.
Speaker 1: And then Renny Harlan's like, I'm gonna go on this like I'm gonna kill something. Are you a Renny Harland fan. Have you watched a lot of his other movies, like die Hard Too? Or you're a Renny guy?
Speaker 5: I haven't, no nice.
Speaker 1: Jay, what can we recommend for Renni?
Speaker 2: I'm I think if he's done in the Australian films, and I don't think because he's he's directed a lot around the globe, but I don't think he's gone to Australia.
Speaker 1: Not yet. I think Cliffhanger, yeah, is like is the best ones?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cliffhanger is great?
Speaker 1: And what else? Die Hard Too, die Hard Too?
Speaker 2: And Kiss good Night?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he blows up people real real bad and die Hard too. You love Renul those killing people hard like he like in Deep Blue c there's some brutal things and just imagine that across all of his he's not content with like just an explosion. There has to be an explosion next to like a gas tank, which is next to like a trampoline, and then it's just like a comical death and it's pretty great. I don't know. And then also when it when it comes to sharks, like you know, when Jay and I we watch a lot of movies and there's just certain moments or like smart decisions that bring us a lot of joy like in your life when you hear about sharks, where you learn about sharks, Like what lately has made you really happy to learn about? Like what are some cool things that have just put a smile on your face when you've learned about learned about them.
Speaker 5: Look, it's not exciting for the average hunter, as we'd say in Australia, but sort of working on sort of shark deterrence and in particular trying to trying to work through what works, what doesn't work, and sort of helping with the marketing of the things that do work. The electric deterrence are the ones that probably have the most utility. And then and I've known that for a while, and that's not a that's commonly known, but it was a little bit I found in a paper on sort of shark physiology which suggested that sharks need that electric sense that they sort the electric sense, the electric fields they sense through the ampoolie of Lorenzini, those little jellyfill pools around their head, because it's actually the critical part mechanically in terms of the shark's jaws opening and positioning. So there's a little millisecond tweak which sort of explains why we expect electric deterrence to work, and probably why they may work more than others, and also explains why in the various testing shark will apse. Sharks will sometimes approach debate or whatever's being used and then either turn away very rapidly or just completely miss or not open their jaws. So it's this little tipbit hidden away that sort of to me explained a whole lot. Well, that's coore, that'll take that'll be able to take forward.
Speaker 1: Oh that's neat. What about the surfboards with the bottoms that kind of make it resemble the ocean? Isn't there something like that?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Are those effective or.
Speaker 5: No, they're not. They're not effective, And I'll explain why. But the first time I'd heard of it was when I met a surfer from Reunion who had broccolie painted under his board on the premise that sharks don't like broccoli. Now, it was a joke, he understood that. But the whole shark eyes on boards may actually be creating a greater risk. And again this is something I've written about in the next book. So the premise is that what we call false eye spots are quite common in nature, so that probably deters and confuses prey in the ocean. Most of the fish that have those eye spots are very very small coralery fish, so we're talking five to ten centimeters, so they're not prey for large sharks. And the limited testing that's been done on lemon sharks and bamboo sharks showed that sharks actually bit false eye spots more than the control that didn't have false eye spots. So the nutshells to summarize, it's that those sort of stickers on the bottom of the boards probably aren't an effective shark deturrent. The area that's got a lot of promise and shark deterrence is sort of visual deterrence is a system of lighting, so little led lights that can measure the overhead light can which is self dynamic, and then try and camouflage the board based on those conditions.
Speaker 1: That's the next level, though, right that's that's a ways away.
Speaker 5: Next yeah, next level. That's not tomorrow, that's not the next day after. It's probably a fair a long way away before it's commercially available. And the challenge I've always had with visual deterrence is that it assumes that vision is the primary tool that sharks are using, and given they've got eight sensors that they've gotta have seven to choose from, so obviously it makes a contribution. But we're not dealing with a visual We're not dealing with an obligate visual predator.
Speaker 2: I don't know what are the what are the eight sensors, what are the extra sensors?
Speaker 5: The extra sensors that sharks can detect movements through the water, So they've got a lateral line and other fish have that. They can detect electric currents, and they can also detect magnetic fields. How they detect magnetic fields is fairly uncertain, or probably I've probably been gentle there. It's largely uncertain.
Speaker 2: In general, that makes makes sense. We don't stand fair enough. That's incredable.
Speaker 1: Just paint around the bottom of my surfboard, jaycause wipes out some sharks in this So maybe if they're swimming, I just canna look up and they're like, not preacher, you know, I guess they could be annoyed by it kills two sharks in this movie, Like I you know, I wouldn't put quint you know, I know that's a stupid thing to say, but uh yeah, like I'm not messing with that.
Speaker 5: And look, he does very well for he's not trained in he's not trained in that particular area.
Speaker 1: How much do you love his side quest? Like he this is one of the greatest cinema side quests of all time?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 1: Like he's just hanging out in the kitchen, gets into a kitchen fight with a shark, blows it up, and then saves the day at the end. Like, that's one of the cinemas. But that's one of my favorite all time side quests. I don't know if you're a fan of that as well.
Speaker 5: He saves a day with a parrot, of course, so the side Quest had a sidekick, Yeah, and sort of as the movie. It's the first time I watched it, it seemed to me that Susan would be the real heroine, the final girl is often the case in movies, including sharp movies. But it's not. It's the Preacher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be Susan. That was the original ending. It was Susan.
Speaker 1: And then yes, yeah, we had some people well, yeah, we had people from the test screening. I had a guy from the test and people were brutal towards poor doctor Susan McAllister. But do you think about the ethics of her studies, like she's you know, you should never do that. I'm not saying it's right, but I do find I do like that once everything hits the fan, she doesn't try to halt any like harm or anything. She's there to help after that. But it's you know, I guess, you know, there's so much things in like you know, Frankenstein and all that of science gone wrong. But I don't know is that what ethically it's wrong? What do you think about that shark testing that she's doing in this movie? Is it just like nonsense or is it like is it interesting to you? Or no?
Speaker 5: Look, if you look at if we go back to Jaws, the view of the shark, there was the fact that I forget the words, I forget the basically, they're just dumb. They're just dumb animals that eat and reproduce. That's obviously paraphrasing. We do know that shark's behavior is highly complex. There's also significant individual variation between sharks, including their behaviors. So there's a lot we don't know about sharks and how they process information and their motivations. But in terms of sort of the actual research and sort of curing ailments such as Alzheimer's, probably not. I don't think there's any sort of real merit in the real world in it. But I just thought it was a good I did think it was a good device. Is that he is suddenly trying to work on some It gave a dichotomy to her motivations. Here's somebody doing something that's unethical, but for ethical reasons.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: Speaking of the shark behavior in this scene that we're talking today, the shark goes to attack Carter with like a like a head on, like a head butt kind of attack under the water, and he manages to somehow dodge it. We don't, I don't know how. He just and then he grabs onto the fin and yes, goes on an underwater theme park ride around the facility. From the shark's perspective, Does that kind of make sense as an attack pattern?
Speaker 5: Well, it didn't work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he got cartered.
Speaker 5: Is that I picked up a couple of things from that scene. First, is it was Carter, wasn't it, Yes, Carl Blake. So Carter became vertical in the water, which is actually the method that is recommended if somebody has been approached by a shark, which of course is easier said, easier said than done, make yourself look bigger, which obviously didn't work. The other thing I picked up on was the sharks also fin. The trailing edge of it was serrated. In reality, it's not straight. It's generally a bit frayed, so it's not perfectly smooth and straight like the front edge. But I personally thought the straight at edge was a nice touch. If you're going to genetically manipulate the shark, give it something different. So it wasn't overt it was just a little tweak. Probably made the fin look more menacing than the maker finish in real life. The second one was HARKing back to the time the movie made. I got a very first person to shoot a doom feel as he's grasping the shark and it's flying through as it's flying through the water, So I thought that was a nice style of the times bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shark, if you knew it was safe, would you?
Speaker 2: Would you have you written the show?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wait, did you get what did you do? Want? Today? To get here? So you're recording? No is that like an uber.
Speaker 5: It's not, yeah, uber sharks maybe for the twenty thirty two Olympics. It's something that we can look at up and down the Brisbane River with the four hundred bull sharks that live in there. No, personally I prefer not to bother or touch the touch the sharks. But but obviously for a movie, I thought it was a nice I thought it was interesting seeing I did really like that first shooter, first person shooter approach to navigating the underwater ruins.
Speaker 1: And they set it up earlier in the film too, when he raised a tiger shark with the Jods license plate, so you know that that he can ride the sharks. So I think that worked. No, it made sense because he had done it earlier. That kind of makes you.
Speaker 5: It does, And and I'm sure somebody has a license flight of that number of a real deep deep Blue Sea fans probably got that personalized number play.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, we have bumper stickers so we have someone to Maria when you talk to her. But I have this on the back of my car. I'd rather be watching the nineteen ninety nine cinematic Blue Sea starring Llow Cool Jay and Samuel L. Jackson I need to send one to.
Speaker 2: My wifriend and we put on all comes.
Speaker 5: Yes, it's so we.
Speaker 1: Don't have license plates, but we have bumper stickers. So you know what I love. Sometimes I I'll look at my rear view mirror and someone will kind of be like squinting at the back of it. Or if I'll be walking through a parking lot, I'll see somebody looking at the back of it, going does that is that it? And then you're like, is that yours? Like I love it. So it's a fun little if you know, you know, like you know, but yeah, sometimes I see people taking photos of it makes me happy because the movie rules. This movie's great. I think it is, yeah, and it's I also love to that everything's going wrong. Susan died. He's riding a shark, and then Preacher spears the shot. He also spears Carter like it's such a like there's little moments like that in this movie that make me really happy because like that, that's a I don't know why that was necessary just to stick them to the shark. So then it blows up later, but it's still a good little touch. I like that, did you you know? I don't know if you enjoyed that scene where you get speared Carter Blake.
Speaker 5: I thought it was good because because I thought it was good because it was unexpected. Yeah, because we're all whiting for the hero shot.
Speaker 1: There's a literal hero shot in this one.
Speaker 5: There is there was a here I shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. No, It's That's why I love this movie. It's filled so many little things and also too, I like that there really is no evil corporation, like I love the Alien franchise, but whalen you Tani, Like they just make there just like yeah, get get us a xenomorph and they mess everything up. So I kind of like that that Russell Franklin showed up just to kind of justify albly see what was going on with this investment. He made like he's not there to shut it down or do any of this. He's like, well, you know, you guys let a shark out and almost killed some people, and I should probably look into this. So I like that that the movie's devoid of that unnecessary drama, like it's.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's kind of nice looking back when he appears, at least in my mind, it was like, oh, this could just be the tyial Corporation from Blade Runner, but no, when a different when a different direction.
Speaker 1: And especially oh Jay, why I forget his name, but he has no lines.
Speaker 2: In this movie next to Samuel Ronnie Cox.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Running you have Ronnie Cox from Bubble Coop, like the ultimate evil corporation movie, and he I guess I think it doesn't get any lines because they get they went to Sam Jackson and he doesn't cause any evil corporation troubles. It's like that's another subversion of the trend, which makes me happy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you sit there wanting for him to talk or whiting for him. He just sits there.
Speaker 1: So our theory, Our theory is he was cast to be like a billionaire, but then Sam Jackson didn't want the role. He was given something. Rennie quickly rewrote it and they had already hired Ronnie Cox, and then they just gave all of his lines to Sam Jackson.
Speaker 2: He would have had a contract, he would still got paid. Yeah, yeah, he goes.
Speaker 1: Ronnie got his money.
Speaker 5: But yeah, unless there was a bonus for the number of lines, of which case he would have lucked out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he looks grumpy the whole time. I don't think he was acting. I think Ronnie was.
Speaker 5: I think you're right that as well. It's just geez, that guy's angry.
Speaker 1: Ronnie was pissed and he didn't even want to even like pretend to not show it. So he's like, I'm gonna go play golf after that. You know, Sam Jackson took the role because he thought he was gonna golf for most of the movie. There's scenes in the lab where you see everybody else because he backs out of the frame, and then he's not in it for a while because he went golfing.
Speaker 5: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: And there's a commentary with him and Rennie Harden where when his character dies, he then leaves the commentary to go and play golf. He just he checks out. It just doesn't enit anymore.
Speaker 1: He does the commentary until he dies. Is come out and it's fun of Michael Rappaport.
Speaker 5: Then he leaves and obviously the movie was a step up for him after POLP fiction.
Speaker 1: So job. Yeah, yea.
Speaker 2: His career, he's never reached those heights again.
Speaker 1: He should have won to ask her for this one, you know exactly. That's one of the funniest If I ever interview him, I'll be like so the peak of your career Deep Blue Sea and then you know, how are things ever better than that? So you had a good time, you know. And he was in Phantom Menace in this.
Speaker 5: It was And in Australia, Australians often joke about the peak of Nicole Kidman's career, which is a movie called BMX Bandits when she when she shot enough nine eight seven, which is about a group of kids chasing baddies on BMX blokes something she's never lived down. So but yeah, look, Samuel Jackson, it's obviously not pulp fiction. He just got lucky there with an Oscar's.
Speaker 1: Right, She's so Nicole Kimmens has been chasing that high ever since BMX Bandits.
Speaker 2: Absolutely he almost reached it with Paddington almost, but's not not almost.
Speaker 1: Wait that was the first she was in Paddington right. Oh, Hugh Grant was in Paddington too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, she chunts the stuff the world needs more BMX.
Speaker 1: I miss eighties nineties movies where Airborne they're like skating down hills in Cincinnati. There's that one with Josh Brolin where they're skateboarding, and then BMX band And there's a movie called rad I missed that era. Bring it backing.
Speaker 2: In Charlie's Angels two, I want to say, in full throttle, there's like a BMX scene.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well it's it's an Olympic sport now, so it's so it's big business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Nicole Kimmen should hand out the medals. That'd be amazing.
Speaker 5: I think twenty thirty two Olympics in Australia. He's a chance.
Speaker 1: Oh listen, how do we get this going's let's talk to her about she hasn't been in a shark movie yet. She was in Dead Calm. That was about it.
Speaker 2: I haven't come with that yet.
Speaker 1: A lot of water in that.
Speaker 5: What Actually we actually needed a searchable database where all the actors and actresses that have been in shark movies are listed, so we sort of keep it tally. It's the missing bit because I think if you ask the average person Samuel L. Jackson ever been in a shark movie, the answer would be, oh no, but and lots of others as well.
Speaker 1: So how do we categorize? So like in East Ventura he gets bit by a great white do we count that? Does that?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 1: It? Is that not a shark movie?
Speaker 5: It's sort of a cameo shark. I think. So, the sharks are there, but it's sort of not the it's not the central.
Speaker 1: Plots like a central protagonist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a movie with a shark rather than a shark movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the Yeah, I don't know what it is. But like an Anchorman too. Will Ferrell fights a shark and a's van Sura. He gets attacked by a shark and then the second one he beats up a crocodile. Happy Gyelmore fights an alley. Like comedians in the nineties and two thousands just wanted to beat up sharks or crocodiles. Yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was the the animal punching genre.
Speaker 2: Nicole Kippen, sorry Kibben, has been in a film with a shark, and that film is Aquaman.
Speaker 5: Course that's rat.
Speaker 1: And it so that that movie goes two out of three on the Hoffmeyer scale. So a movie is great if it features three things a catapult, a jet ski, action scene, c beasts, and Acaman features two of those. And there's only two movies that feature all three, and that's water World and The Mermaid, which is a really good huh Chinese rom com with a mermaid. In it.
Speaker 2: Does Aquaman get like a half point on the hoff My scale for dope lungern being in it up with something?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he rides you know, he doesn't ride a jets key. He just rides a sea horse. Which but he's in it. Just saying that Dolph London rides a sea horse in a movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Something looks like a predator. She looks like a yauja in that movie. You know what, I'm gonna give it two point five, Okay, the three I think that's fair. Is there is there a scale of greatness for you in shark movies? Is there something you love in shark films?
Speaker 5: Not non expecific. I haven't got down in that qualification. I haven't got down to some objective criteria yet as you have. But look at something I could work on, put it in the book. Put it in the book, five point scale writings.
Speaker 2: I'm excited not the little research to what is the most shark movie doing like shark screen time, how many sharks are in a time between kills? And you know, Deep Bluz comes out as the film that is the most shark film.
Speaker 1: So it's not the best, but it's the most, which is fair. Yeah, question for it. Do you like the mag not really good?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't even set up that answer. I'm just not fussed about. Look, I'm just not fussed about the whole the use of Megalodon. Yes, it existed, it was a big shark. I'm frustrated with with the people who really do seem to believe that it still exists at the bottom of the Marianna's trench, given it was a coastal species, and given like a lot of giant things, it needs a highly productive environment, which the deep sea is not. So it's it's sort of, yeah, look, there's enough fun living living sharks to to hang your hat on, to hang the plot on. You don't sort of, in my mind, you don't sort of need to resumeurect extinct things and pretend they're not extinct.
Speaker 1: I agree. You know a movie I want Jay Can. I tell you what I came. I just came with an idea, I want Jay Can. I all right, so instead of forty seven meters down, like maybe two thousand meters down where submarine gets stuck and those giant like surface to like there's a blue planet where this whale fall comes down in these massive sixteen feet sharks twenty feet, you know, like five meters six meters seven meters sharks just start tearing at the whale carcass. That'd be interesting if you have them stuck in a submarine trying to get back up and those things are coming around the submarine. I don't know why, but those things scared the heck out of me. I don't know if you remembered that from Blue Planet. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 5: Forty, which could be cross. Would sharks guard at the galaxy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no dolphins, no dolphins, no dolphins.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I must admit that the gag on that one is probably pretty thin, so it would be a one gag, a one gag movie.
Speaker 1: Man. I I love those giants. Let me find the name of what they are. Six gill sharks, Yes, I love those things. I think that's my favorite sharks.
Speaker 2: One gill too many, surely.
Speaker 1: I think those are my favorites. They're just really interesting sharks.
Speaker 2: I love goblin sharks in my favorite I think, Yeah, don't see enough of goblin sharks and films just because they look so weird.
Speaker 1: That's why.
Speaker 5: I like thet I like the little Port Jackson shark, which is where the mother lies an em in a little egg case and then takes off and it's a dad sharks job. Talk after the egg and the dad sharks got to put the egg in its mouth, move it around, sit there looking at it, make sure nothing eats it. And that's what it does. And it has no teeth.
Speaker 1: Hmmm. So the dad just looked after, hangs out, watches the eggs.
Speaker 2: Penguins, yes, Ole Kevinson happy feet as well, that's that's I don't think they're sharks are happy. But there's a whale.
Speaker 1: Someone needs. Someone needs to put a camera down there so we can watch that. So I have a bird feeder and we have a camera in it and every year birds lay eggs and then I just we get to watch it and like see the eggs grow and everything, and I kind of love it. So I want to watch this this sharks thing underwater, I think because people do like eagle eggs and stuff like that, that'd be fun to do shark eggs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a bit, so that the egg does get moved around, so it makes a little bit harder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. It would be in frame for like ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked about it a little bit earlier, but we need to know what are your top four shark movies.
Speaker 5: The fourth one is very is called Shark just playing Shark. It's a It's a fourteen minute short film. What I like about it, it's sort of in a way is paying homage to in fourteen minutes is paying homage to the to the traditional B movie of being the second part of a double feature. It features Rose Byrne, who's obviously now Golden Globe a global sorry Golden Globe winner. Very simple plot, but it sort of picks up most of the elements of a sharp movie in fourteen minutes. It has some laconic Australian humor in it, most notably when they're all going for a snorkloud on presumably the Great Barrier Reef. There's the skipper does his safety talk, which is completely which is complete waste of time. So if somebody is in somebody's in strife, had to practice putting out their hand and yelling help. And when there's a real catastrophe happens, he's obviously asleep and has no idea what's gonna what's gonna happen. So it's a very simple movie, and that's obviously what it's designed to do. But it just encapsulates the genre. Well, the victim.
Speaker 1: In a shark Yeah, we got to add twenty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've just it's in twenty twenty one. Yeah, it's been added to the Yes.
Speaker 1: And I like the square. Nash Eddriton has done some good movies. He also did Spider and Bear.
Speaker 5: Yes, I think he's collecting the animals, and there's there's one shark victim, but the Nash character is left floating around with a shark fin on his back because he bought a shape a fake shark fin on the boat to terrorize the tourists, and it's his partner that gets bitten by an actual shark. So I like that Jaws just just because of its og because of its og value. It's two shark movies. What Star Wars New Hope was to science fiction Deep Blue Sea and then obviously untitled Shark movie, which I'm contractually obliged to say is my number one movie despite it not being shot yet.
Speaker 1: Number ones again was Jost like Max Bandits was to be a Max movie.
Speaker 5: I think it's probably close. I think it's probably close to it. There's probably been a lot less written in the academic literature about VMX bandits. But but look, I'm sure the literature will catch up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it'll get there. Yeah, we're just one like specialty of release away of it. But yeah, so Jay, you're you're sorry the untitled Shark movie. Does there a date on that? You know? Any movement?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: In all serious is no. So it's got some funding from Screen Queensland, it's got his lead, it's got its lead actress, Timmy Suka Koshi from Great White, So somebody who's experienced in sharp movies. So that's good. And obviously Marie Lewis's producer, she really is passionate about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it will happen. We we're big supporters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can't wait. That sounds great, Oh, Jason, So did you have any of any other thoughts, Darrel, about Deep Blue Sea or the chapter we're talking about, or the film as a whole m.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, I just thought that chapter, Chapter thirty one, it'd had that nice bit of a recap here sort of that nice vision of the shark's jaws protruding forward, the rolling eyes going vertical in the water, that the nice touch genetically modified touch of a serrated trailing fin rather than slightly frayed, so it's made it nice and geometric, but without it being the focus, so it's not too ridiculous proportions. I just thought it was a nice, a nice subtle touch, which without making it a parody. So again, if this was a B movie, it probably looked like some sort of some sort of band saw rather than that nice subtle touch. And I just liked that sort of doom swim through first person shooter swim through.
Speaker 1: So to speak.
Speaker 5: And the other thing I did likes card is exaggerated hair swell as well. So really focus on, I'm being dragged through the water by by a shark. How's my hair gonna get out of my eyes for the shot?
Speaker 1: So when does he do that? When he's riding he pushes it out of his hair.
Speaker 5: He does his big exagerated hey hair commercial hair swell.
Speaker 2: So ah, he does that when they surface, when they first like get out of Aguatica and the surfaces, he does like a big come up to the surface shampoo advert kind of hair toss then as well. Yeah, yes, so.
Speaker 1: I never noticed that, and I never knew that a mako shark was on the Jaws poster. So you you drop some awesome and Rose Burn's in a Shark movie. You've you went three for three on the half myre scale to learn that's awesome, Like, yeah, I got I get to watch out for that now and I get to watch rose Burn and a thing called Shark very excited.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because it's short, but you're just like, how much how much sort of sharp movie stuff was packed into forteen minutes without without it being, without it attempting to or sort of overtly attempting to. I just thought it was a nice and I would say novel, but just a nice twist to a nice addition to the genre.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's good around water. That her the movie If I Have Legs, They kick you. Her house gets in trouble with water damage, she gets hit by waves, and that movie Spy she gets told she was so yeah rules there is and look.
Speaker 5: I first saw her as a as a an actress in a movie called Two Hands, which is an Australian Australian movie. Also it was Heath Ledgers big sort of breakout role. So she just played a really natural, a really natural person, which just came across so well that's a movie in many Australians love.
Speaker 1: It's on Amazon, so I'll check that out. Yeah, and no Sharks in Troy either, which is a bummer. All right, this is on Amazon, so now I'll watch that too. Yes, awesome. Well, hey, thank you so much for joining us. This was awesome.
Speaker 2: Any of your books you want to plug or anything else you want to promote.
Speaker 5: The book would be called Sharks Sharks down Under. So, as I've sort of alluded to, it's got an analysis of sharks and movies, sharks in the media. It's got some more serious, serious sciencey stuff, so the evolution of sharks, a diversity of sharks, a lot of focus on the biology and ecology of whites, bulls and tigers. Then a fairly in depth discussion of the trend of unproduked shark bites in Australia, and then a large couple of chapters on what we can do in terms of mitigating the risk of a bite. So don't have a publication day for that, but probably like twenty twenty six, early twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Nice. Well, if you want to come back, we can help you promote it on the show.
Speaker 5: I'd love that.
Speaker 2: Awesome fantastic marketing plugs.
Speaker 1: Just listen to the movies on the flicks.
Speaker 2: Great and listen as you can. Follow this show all over social media at deep Blue, seapod dot email US, deepcpod at gmail dot com. Next week this is Reddy Harden's new shark movie might be coming out next week. It's it's got a US release date, hasn't got a UK one yet, so maybe we'll be talking about Deepwater next week. If not, it'll be another Australian film. It'll be Rogue for the Crocodile film from two thousand and seven, which spoiler I really enjoyed, I loved wrote quite a bit, So come back next week for either Deepwater or Rogue, but for Deep c one chapter thirty one dive. To thank you once again to our wonderful guest doctor Darren McPhee. I have been Jake Lewett, Markafmeyer and we'll deep Blue see you next week.
Speaker 1: The s