Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Mo Kelly on demand from kf I Am six forty.
Speaker 2: Now Kelly Show.
Speaker 3: Social media, Facebook gets to extract.
Speaker 4: The viral.
Speaker 1: Viral load, viral load, the viral load Lad with Timney.
Speaker 4: K if I am six forty years Later with Mo Kelly Live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app and YouTube at mister mo' kelly.
Speaker 2: Let's see Tiffany Hops.
Speaker 5: Oh goodness, Hi everyone on YouTube watching.
Speaker 3: It's really great to have this opportunity.
Speaker 5: Tonight's viral load is going to be a mixture of things about Minecraft.
Speaker 3: I know you touched on this on Monday. There been some new.
Speaker 5: Developments and also some stories that you might not have known actually went viral. Let me start with one of them. How often do you travel, whether on a leisurely ride something more, and you take pictures of beautiful scenery?
Speaker 3: How often do you do that moment?
Speaker 2: Never?
Speaker 5: Never you don't take your camera out and take a picture of like a rolling hill or no loud.
Speaker 4: Or no, no, I just don't, just one because I'm driving, And two it's just not something I might.
Speaker 3: Maybe you should.
Speaker 5: It's a beautiful way to kind of encapsulate, to capture the moment, no judgement.
Speaker 4: I may I may be coming down to one ten and if you know, going down to one ten north you can see downtown if it's a sunny day and you get the mountains and a backdrop, and I can say, ooh, that's very nice, it's so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Camera.
Speaker 3: No, you're not living. You know you haven't lived until you pull out your camera on the mental memory.
Speaker 4: I'm not the guy who needs to post my whole life on Instagram.
Speaker 5: Well this guy wasn't the guy who wanted to post his entire life on Instagram.
Speaker 3: But now, many.
Speaker 5: Years after his original photo was taken, he is now going viral. I'm talking about Charles O'Rear, who has taken what's considered to.
Speaker 2: Be Chuck Rear.
Speaker 3: Chuck Rear.
Speaker 5: He has taken Chuck Ore, Chuck O'Rear, what has been considered to be the world's most viewed photo. He didn't take this this week or last even. He took it in January of nineteen ninety six, when he was on the way to visit his then girlfriend now wife, Daphnee Larkin. He was driving from his house in Saint Helena, California, to Larkins in Marin County and he would pull over occasionally to take snapshots of the beautiful rolling hills, bright blue skies. And the thing about it is, Chuck Ohrear decided to submit his photo to a sharing website, a stock photo agency back then called west Light. You might know ap photo very similar. And what Chuck did is he just submitted the photo as something he thought that the agency, the stock photo agency might like. Well, not only did they like it, but someone named Bill Gates heard of him. No, Microsoft co founder Bill Gates happened upon the image. And how Bill Gates happened upon the image is that Gates's Corbis group bought west Lights stock photo Agency in nineteen ninety eight, and what that photo agency contained was Charles O'Rear's photo of a beautiful green pasture, rolling hills, bright blue sky, a few clouds, and you know it today as the background for Microsoft. The thing about it is O'Rear's image ended up with Bill Gates, who then decided to pay him for the photo. And today Charles O'Rear is saying that he had as a major regret.
Speaker 3: He says that he if he knew.
Speaker 5: Then what he knows now, his negotiating powers would have been a lot stronger.
Speaker 3: He received somewhere.
Speaker 5: Around one hundred thousand dollars for the photo and nineteen ninety six. According to official data dot org, one hundred thousand dollars in nineteen ninety six is closer to about two hundred and twenty thousand dollars today. So Charles o'reer says that he very much regrets ever uploading the photo to that stock photo agency and that you know, things happen. He's going viral today because of the photo.
Speaker 4: It's unfortunate because if you look at the photo, because of photoshop, because of filters, because of AI, the photo doesn't get its due credit because it's not going to stand out in the way that we think it would stand out because of everything is you know, is created.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's it's a pretty mundane photo. It's beautiful, but you can reproduce this easily today. Back then in nineteen ninety six not so much. But as he says, he wishes he would have known then what he knows now. Second and last story of this segment happens to deal with the Minecraft movie. On Monday, you talked about the Minecraft movie and how it's just been blowing up and it has this huge following already, and it's gaining steam amongst people who are going and interacting with the movie in the theaters. Well, some of that interaction is due to a new TikTok trend named chicken Jockey. I think you might have touched on chicken Jockey minorly on Monday, But let me tell you what chicken jockey actually is. The chicken jockey TikTok trend involves a line said by Jack Black, one of the main characters. He's in a ring fight scene. In the scene, Jason Momoa's character Garrett Garrison can be seen ready to face off with a chicken. He looks up at the crate Jason Momoa, which is hanging over a ladder. The crate opens and a baby's zombie drops on the chicken. Oh my gosh, this movie sounds insane. Just then, Jack Black's character Steve says chicken jockey, and the baby zombie storms toward Momoa. Okay, now that's a little synopsis of where the line comes from.
Speaker 3: So how is this now viral?
Speaker 5: Well, the scene is a reference to the baby zombie characters in the game, who can be found riding chickens at different times.
Speaker 3: Throughout the game.
Speaker 5: The clip that's gone viral as was posted by an account called discuss discussing film on a ex formerly Twitter after the particular line is uttered by Jack Black in the scene. And what people are doing that's going viral is people are taking their popcorn.
Speaker 3: They're throwing it at the screen.
Speaker 5: They're yelling chicken Jockey at the top of their lungs, they're shouting, they're storming the screen, and they're now of course being escorted out by police.
Speaker 4: See the first mother father to throw popcorn at the screen game imagine in the back of the head.
Speaker 2: We're going to have a misunderstanding.
Speaker 5: And it's a TikTok trend, so they're encouraging people to go and do this. That is the problem with TikTok. Millions upon millions upon millions of subscribers and engagement with the website and a lot of people who will do anything a viral trend tells them to do.
Speaker 4: And that's the first portion of the viral load with Tiffany Hobbs will have more in just a moment, not only on the iHeartRadio app, not only on Kfi, but also on YouTube app mister from O'Kelly. There's Tiffany Hobbs waiting to the camera. We're live everywhere, just all around the world.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with Moe Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Now it's Sun My.
Speaker 1: Room with Tiffany Live on Camfies NAT with Okvy.
Speaker 3: She'll talk about the Toughes on social media.
Speaker 4: L with Tiffany Hubbs, KFI and YouTube, iHeartRadio app. We are live everywhere and we're in the second part of the viral load with Tiffany Hops.
Speaker 5: When you are let go from your job or fired from your job, one of the last things you're probably anticipating is for your former employer to reach out to you to ask you for help on the job that you no longer fill. I wish a fool would wish a mother father wood would right, Well, this next story is going viral because of that sort of outrageous request. There's a workplace workplace expert from the UK. His name is Ben Askins, and he routinely goes viral for sharing anonymous text messages that are exchanges between workers and their managers. So this isn't this isn't his first foray into virality. But who asks kins? Okay, it's a good name. I was just a straight round name, a plump name.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: You got a peach joke in there, so I could. Okay.
Speaker 5: So Early Askins recently shared a wild exchange in which a boss messaged and an employee who had recently been fired and asked for that employee's help with new software. So this employee was let go fire from this business. And the boss again reaches out and says, hey, remember that thing that you did, that software you set up and kind of trained everyone on. Well, we've since outsourced your position and they don't know how to navigate the software.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, so we need you to come back.
Speaker 2: And they fired him.
Speaker 5: Correct, they fired him. So what ben Askins did is he got hold of this UK expert.
Speaker 3: He got hold of these.
Speaker 5: Text messages between the boss and the former employee former employees submitted to ben askins very very viral site, and part of the text messages include the following. The boss texts the former employee and says, quote, I need to ask a favor. The employee responds, quote, are you joking? You fired me and now you're asking for help. The boss then responds and says, I appreciate that this is awkward. The ex employee writes back, I told you this would happened, and the ex boss replied again, asking if the former worker would quote walk the team through the software remotely. The ex employee replies and says, you know what, I'll do it, but pay me for what I'm doing half a day's pay for the help. The boss replies saying they're not happy, and argues that we're not gonna pay you. It's only going to take less than half an hour, so he shouldn't have to pay the ex employee for any sort of extra time. He also, the boss goes on to say, we work together for a long time. Can't you just do this for me? And of course these text messages made it to Ben Askins, who was not impressed with the exchange, uploaded it online and it's quickly gone viral, amassing hundreds of thousands of views, lots of engagement, and a lot of people weighing in on the conversation, saying all of this could have been avoided if the employer hadn't fired a viable and valuable employee. Our last story, well, maybe we'll i'd be able to get to a third or fifth one. A viral video is going is becoming very popular. It features two anglers arguing on something called the Peace River in Punta Gorda, Florida.
Speaker 3: The irony about this next viral.
Speaker 5: Story that point, is that it takes place on Peace River and the exchange between these two anglers is anything but peaceful, and their exchange has now garnered millions of views across social media, especially on Facebook. So what happens is there's an incident and it's it's now prompted an investigation by Punta Gorda Police or fat point as you say, and the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. The video captures the two boaters arguing about lights while fishing under the US forty one bridge. So they're trying to kind of see who has the right of way, who's going to go it's a it's a low bridge. They don't want to crash into each other. The argument escalates when one of the boaters, named Brock, the names are perfectly Florida man Brock climbs aboard the other person's boat, and that person's name is Gauge. So we have Brock on one side, Gauge on the other. Very millennial right, Brock climbs aboard Gauge's boat, and what appears to be an act of river rage. Arguing commences. There's some shoving, there's some finger pointing. I don't know if any runners were thrown, but the lang probably, but the language was just loud enough and just aggressive enough where that the police got involved. The fisherman's village in that area announced that it has now severed ties with Brock in response to the video, and they severed ties because the video has been uploaded and has gone viral. Brock's attorney spoke out and said that he wanted to dress the video because the video has now caused Brock's business to be destroyed, his reputation to be damaged, and his family, including his wife and mother, to be harassed and even threatened. So I think the moral of this story is, don't name your kids Brock or Gauge.
Speaker 4: Look, I'm not gonna say anything about anyone's name since my parents named me Morris.
Speaker 2: I know I was named after my father.
Speaker 3: But still that doesn't sound like you'd be fighting on thish though.
Speaker 4: Look, I've had to fight over my name. Yes, yes, it looks. I've told people all the time. When I was growing up, it was Morse the Cat, because back then Morrisey cat commercials they were a big thing. It was Morris and Moose. It was a book called Morris and Moose Goes to School. When I got to high school, it was Morris Day in the time. Everyone thought, and everyone would say it like they're the first person ever saying it's like.
Speaker 2: Ah, Morris Day at the time, you stupid? Do you think that's actual? Like witty or something.
Speaker 5: But we don't know if the root of the argument is over the names. But we do know that it is now turned into family members getting involved in businesses being destroyed. So be careful what you do out there in public. As you often say, mo don't film your crimes because they can go viral. This last story I'll do very quickly. It has to do with something that's ironic given that we're now on camera. There's a bride who got married a year ago, and during her wedding preparation, she told all of her bride's maids, her mom, she's not wearing makeup. She decided, I'm not wearing makeup that's not my thing. I've never worn makeup. I'm a chapstick girl, vasoline girl.
Speaker 3: I like my skin.
Speaker 5: I don't have any imperfections, not out of vanity, but just out of just how she feels about herself, her own self confidence. Well, her wedding has now gone viral this year, one year later on TikTok, because she spoke out about her decision not to wear makeup. She just did a quick video and said, hey, a year ago I got married, I didn't wear makeup.
Speaker 3: It was my choice.
Speaker 5: And she has gotten over twenty five thousand comments, many of them positive and affirming, but.
Speaker 3: Of course trolls.
Speaker 5: There are the trolls who are trying to tear down her decision by saying that if they were getting married, of course they would have done differently, and that because they feel that way, others should too.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, the trolls, These trolls, they're.
Speaker 3: There, They're not under bridges where they should be.
Speaker 2: No, I got some thoughts for them before I close out the show tonight.
Speaker 4: But hey, Tiffany Hops, can you hang around for a moment because this next story, the next segment, I want you to weigh in on. Because kids under sixteen will no longer be allowed to live stream on Instagram without consent. I think it's a little too little, too late, because the horse is already out of that barn and there're too we'll talk about it too, We'll talk It's Later with mo Kelly Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app and YouTube.
Speaker 1: You're listening to Later with mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty and YouTube.
Speaker 4: It's Later with mo Kelly. And let's talk a little bit more about social media. And I had Tiffany Hobbs, who you can also hear here on CAFI Saturdays from five to seven pm, want to remind you about that. I want her to stay around for this. But kids under sixteen will no longer be allowed to live stream on Instagram without consent. Instagram users under sixteen won't be able to live stream or unblur nudity in direct messages they've received without parental approval. And this is because Meta said it was extending safeguards for users under eighteen to both Facebook and Messenger. And you may remember Meta recently launched his teen account program for Instagram back in September to supposedly my inflection to give parents more options to supervise their children's online activity because they were getting cussed out basically for allowing so much stuff on their social media platform. But under these changes, teens under sixteen are blocked from using Instagram Live without parental permission. They also need permission to turn off the feature that blurs images containing suspected nudity and direct messages. I can appreciate the attempt, I don't know how sincere it is. I don't know how effective it will be if only because kids know how to circumvent all these things. You know, It's like, okay, so you have so sort of social media block on Instagram, Well they can go to porn Hub with the same device. You know, you're not really stopping anything. And I know Instagram wants to limit its liability and its criticism, but it's not stopping any of them. And I know most kids who have Instagram have four or five different accounts. They have burner accounts, they have adults have burner accounts, so you know the kids have burner accounts. My question to you, Tiffany, is this does this really mean anything to anyone anywhere?
Speaker 3: No, it is ceremonial.
Speaker 5: It is performative, and it is necessary for Meta to try and keep their reputation or try and at least establish a reputation as being a safe place for miners to congregate.
Speaker 3: But they should have done this years ago, years ago.
Speaker 5: It not at all a parallel, So don't get me wrong, but it feels like when seat belts were created, how many crashes had there been or accidents had there been prior to that where children and others were harmed or killed and then seat belts were instituted, and sure it helped.
Speaker 4: But we can say at least there's data to support that seat belts do save lives and they're not performative. Where this is, I don't know if this like put it this way, I don't know if since seat belts is in actual law, that this is actually changing either the company's behavior or is actually protecting anyone.
Speaker 2: I haven't see that data, and.
Speaker 3: I don't think we will see that for a long time.
Speaker 5: It's going to take years of measuring the data to be able to see if it actually makes any sort of difference. But just like you said in the interim, what other programs, what other platforms will kids then go to to be able to use things inappropriately or access things that may be safeguarded on Instagram, they'll just go around it.
Speaker 4: Don't ask me how I know this, but I know that I can just in my natural searching of Instagram. You can find nudity in people's feeds. It doesn't have to be a direct message. It could be a so and so's account happens to be a model or something.
Speaker 2: You see it all the time. It's like, that's nudity and it's not censored.
Speaker 4: It's definitely not banned and clearly available to anyone who has an Instagram account.
Speaker 5: And the interesting thing about Meta is that if you've ever try to report something as an impropriety, whether it's sexually explicit or it encourages violence, you know exactly that most times, nine point nine out of ten, your report will be rejected and the content will stay and be validated as unoffensive or appropriate. Therefore, like you're saying, you can access this sort of content at any turn on Instagram, at any turn on Meta, especially if Meta deems it as being appropriate. I've seen images that are of births just in your just regular feeds. Someone posts something and you have nudity there, or you see someone breastfeed.
Speaker 2: It doesn't have to be sexual.
Speaker 5: If it's not sexualized, then often it stays. But like you said, there are other ways in which kids can absolutely consume inappropriate imagery, and just because it's taken out of the private messages doesn't mean that they then won't go to their text messages. I also, on the other side, appreciate Meta for trying something, but it does feel like too little.
Speaker 3: Too late.
Speaker 4: It's Later with Mo Kelly, Tiffany Hobbs, Yes of the Viral Load and also Tiffany Hobbs Saturdays from five to seven pm here on KFI. Always loved listening to you and I appreciate you for coming in on Wednesday night.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you, mo Kelly. I gave up my beloved Clippers shall be here.
Speaker 2: No, you know I'm not a Clippers fan, so you know You're not gonna get you sympathies from me. Go Lakers, Lakers be Dallas tonight.
Speaker 3: God thanks for having me always.
Speaker 4: KFI AM six forty live everywhere, in the iHeartRadio app and YouTube at mister Mokelly on YouTube.
Speaker 1: You're listening too. Later with mo Kelly on demand from KFI AM six forty