Speaker 1: Now your host walking you up to first pitch. It's Tim kays.
Speaker 2: Hi everybody, and welcome into Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck. I hope you're well On this Wednesday, you're defending champion Los Angeles Dodgers in Japan to start this season against the Chicago Cubs. It's the twenty twenty five Tokyo Series. Dodgers won the opener yesterday at the Tokyo Dome. Today they look to do it again before a yet another sellout crowd as Japanese right hander Roki Sasaki makes his Dodger debut first pitch from Japan, coming up in a little low for an hour between then and now, we got a lot to get to here on Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck, you're gonna hear from the manager himself. Dave Roberts will dive deeper into this pitchy matchup. David va Sego's one on one was ce C Sabathia, who was an MLB ambassador in Tokyo for this Tokyo Series. We've got your Dodgers magical moment. Shortly, we'll visit with Kirsten Watson on the field at the Tokyo DOMA just a few minutes, we'll send it out to Tim Neffert and Rick Monday in the Galloping Motors broadcast booth well yesterday in Tokyo, a lot of excitement and anticipation for an all Japanese pitching matchup. Yoshi Yamamoto and Shodamanaga lived up to the hype. Minaga four shutout innings for the Cubs. He did walk four batters along the way, but the Dodgers couldn't cash in runs off of those walks. Yoshi Yamamoto in five innings, he allowed us one run on three hits while striking out four. The lone run that he gave up was a two out RBI double to the Cubs catcher Miguel Amaya. Once the Monaga was out of the game, though, the Dodgers offense was able to get after the Cubs bullpen and the fifth Andy Pie has a one out walk. Show Hey Otani then ripped the ball to right for a single. The next batter, Tommy Edmund, tied the game up.
Speaker 3: Now, Tommy Edmund with one out, a chance to tie the ball game, switch hit or now batting left swings and hits it to left field at diving attempt, it's trapped by half throw it a second, Otani slides in safely. High has comes into the score and Tommy Edmund with a game tying single.
Speaker 4: Harby I single for Tommy tanks. Game tied at one.
Speaker 2: Next batter toa Oscar Hernandez grounding into what should have been in an inning double play, but a throwing air brought in the go ahead run. Dodgers get a gift and they'll take a two to one lead. And they weren't done. They took advantage again from the cub's. Their next batter, Will Smith.
Speaker 3: We'll count one out ta Oscar. It's second to pitch and Will. It's a bounding ball that leaps over Swanson into left field ta Oskar Hernandez around third.
Speaker 5: He'll score standing up. It's three to one.
Speaker 4: Harby I single for Will. Dodgers. Three runs in the fifth, took a three to one lead.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers bullpen took over for Yamamoto and showed why many believe they'll be the best bullpen in twenty twenty five. Anthony Bonda scoreless sixth, Benkisparius has shut out seventh. Blake tried and struck out a pair at a scoreless eighth. At the top of the ninth, Sumon Urrants runs for the Dodgers, show Hey Otani a lead off double. Two batters later, Taoskar Hernandez brought him in.
Speaker 3: And the pitch on the way is swung ona and that is rope to left. That's a base hit. Otani comes in to score. The Dodgers lead at four to one. RBI base hit ty Oscar Hernandez.
Speaker 4: RBI single for Tao. Dodgers up four to one.
Speaker 2: Bottom of the ninth belong to Tenner Scott, who closed it out with a zero on the board.
Speaker 4: Dodgers beat the Cubs four to one.
Speaker 2: Yoshi Yamamoto against the Wins show Heo Tani two hit score twice. Dodgers bullpened four shutout innings. They take the first game of this Tokyo series. Dodgers now one to oh to start the twenty twenty five season.
Speaker 4: Now they do it one more time.
Speaker 2: From Japan, Rookie Sazaki makes his much anticipated Dodgers' debut.
Speaker 4: First pitch from the Tokyo.
Speaker 2: Domas coming up a little over an hour and with more we head out to the gallpit. Motors broadcast booth as we say hello to Tim Beverett and Rick Monday, Guys, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: We get you ready for Game two of the twenty twenty five season, a Game two of the Tokyo Series. Dodgers winning four to one in Game one last night, coming from behind to do it. Tonight, rookie Sasaki makes his major league debut. The right hander out of Japan. It's a highly anticipated debut. He'll go against lefty Justin Steele, who is one of the better lefty starters in Major League Baseball, and Moe.
Speaker 5: Pretty much the.
Speaker 3: Same lineups tonight with the exception and the Cubs they're just going to go with Carson Kelly behind the plate. Miguel Omaiya will not start for the Dodgers, the same lineup. Freddie Freeman was lobbying to try to play tonight. He felt well enough to go, but Dave Roberts and the Dodgers brass thought better of it and said, look, in a precautionary manner, we're going to keep you out of this game tonight, And they say that he could be ready as soon as the Freeway Series.
Speaker 6: Tim, I think the biggest deal is right now, and we understand the discomfort that Freeman experienced last night, the last swing that he took in banning practice on the field. Its identical spot is he had the rib issue last year. Only last year it was much more painful than what it is right now. But the Dodgers do not want to take a chance when they come back. They've been a fourteen hour flight coming back after the ball game tonight, but then they've got a few days to get some medical attention. They're looking at the big picture, but the big picture too. I like what you said when I picked you up this morning downtown as we came to the TV studios here in El Segundo to do the game is being played in Japan. You got the end of the car and he said, Hey, the Dodgers have the best record in Major League Baseball. It's true, only one game, but nobody else is played besides the Coats.
Speaker 3: The Cubs have the worst record.
Speaker 6: Right exactly, show.
Speaker 3: Hey, Otani has the best record of any player right now. He had two hits last night, including a double. He scored two runs. We've seen him throw again today. He threw yesterday in the outfield. He's throwing again today. Seeing oh Tani and hearing from people over in Japan about how it is around him. He is like the most popular person in the world, at least in Japan, and you know, his popularity in the US apparently pales in comparison to what he experiences in his home country.
Speaker 6: Every place that you look, is what our man David Massey is telling us. A lot of the rest of the Dodges, too, is that they knew he was a big deal in his home country. They had no idea he is a huge deal not only in his own country, he's also leaving his footprint here in the United States.
Speaker 3: Interesting thing too is when he comes to the play, the place goes quiet, yeah, which is unusual in some respects for Japanese baseball fans. If it's an actual game involving one of their teams, the home team usually gets you know, musical instruments or drums and chants and songs and everything else. But because they don't have a home team playing in this series, they're relatively quiet. But they're all taking videos and pictures and they want to remember the time they were in the same as Otani.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm certain that everyone that has participated in this series from a player's standpoint. Personnel also at both the organizations, both Chicago and with Los Angeles. This has been a trip of a lifetime. But if you look at baseball, I mean I mentioned last night in the broadcast, baseball was introduced in Japan one hundred and fifty years ago. Oddly enough, it was eighteen seventy two an American professor teaching at a local academy in Tokyo presented the game of baseball. It has grown at what a series it has been over there.
Speaker 3: It snowed in Tokyo today for several hours, a few hours before the game had stopped. It is dry and seventy two degrees inside Tokyo Dome as the Dodgers, at one to zero gets set to take on the Chicago Cubs. Justin Steel pitching for the Cubs, Roki Sasaki will make his major league debut tonight.
Speaker 2: Tim All right, thank you guys, as we count you down to first pitch. Dodger fans, get your game day meal on at Shaky's Pizza Parlor or to your Shaky Pizza Chicken at Mojo's right now at Shaky's dot com. Coming up here on Dodgers on deck, You're gonna hear from the manager Dave Roberts. We will check in with David Vaz at the Tokyo Dome. We'll dive deeper to this pitching matchup. But I'm next, you know Tani, you wee Ryan and we'll go down to the field in.
Speaker 4: Tokyo and vizit.
Speaker 2: Karsten Watson as wena lead you up the first pitch, Game two of the Tokyo Series Dodgers Cubs first pitch coming up at ten after thanks for being with us.
Speaker 4: I'm Tim Kas's the world Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: It's Lorongo Casino, Dodgers on, Dodgers on Deck, y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Cubs from Tokyo. Rokie Susaki makes his Dodgers' debut the Tokyo Series presented by Ralph Lauren. Come join a five to seventy and all star tay Oscar Hernandez at the Ralph Lauren Store at the Citadel Outlet's on Sunday, March thirtieth.
Speaker 1: This is the rewide.
Speaker 3: Next pitch swung on up to right field. That's a base hit. Hi his rounding second he's on his way to third and show Hey. O'tani gets the first Dodger hit tonight and moves the tying run all the way to third base. Frasiers two two, and O'tani rips this one to right field. That's down the line to the corner. Show here around first. He will rumble in the second with a ninth inning leadoff.
Speaker 2: Double, Show hey Otani two for five helps start a three run fifth inning for the Dodgers in the series opener, then a leadoff double in the ninth where he would eventually score again. Dodgers beat the Cubs in Tokyo in the series opener four to one.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's corner with Kirston Wasson.
Speaker 2: Hey Karson joins us now from the Tokyo Dome before Game two two of the Dodgers in Cubs. Brought to you by Cars for Kids. Ready to donate your old car? Call eight seven seven Cars for Kids Now, friendly agent standing by to take your donation. That's Cars with the K Donate your car today. Rokey Susaki makes his Dodgers' debut.
Speaker 4: Kirsten, there's a buzz yet again in Tokyo.
Speaker 7: There really is, And for Roki, this is just such a special opportunity. I mean, you know this him. For any young player to make their major league debut, that is something that is remarkable in itself. For Roki, he gets to do something even on such a larger scale because he gets to do it in his home country. He gets to do it in front of so many fanss and supporting him for so long, and he's playing here in the NTV, playing for the Japanese national team. So for him to have this opportunity, obviously there's going to see a lot of nerves and a lot of excitement. That's where he's got the support of his teammates behind him. Dave Roberts today was saying that there's not much an expectation, and it's similar for Yashun over last year. There's not really an expectation to go out there and enjoy this moment. Of course, it's going to be some nerves if you can have that fastball command and you're going to build from that. But enjoy this moment and let's look to get better with each audi. So everyone's very excited to kind of for this first step for him in age league baseball.
Speaker 2: Is there as much sitement for Game two of this series as there was last night for the opener.
Speaker 7: You know, I would say that there is. I'm looking at just all of the media on the field, the gates for the stadium here, it opens at three o'clock, and I mean fans are filing in. So last night obviously we saw the Pokemon opening ahead of the game, and tonight's going to be a little bit different. It's going to be just the history of Major League Baseball in Japan and the relationship, so you'll see a lot of more historical photos. But I think it's still going to be a very beautiful presentation. But everyone has been so in to it, so the energy has been electric. But I do think it's just kind of that excitement for a young pitcher in Rosasaki, but also trying not to like Nike him nervous, you know what I'm saying, Like trying to keep the excited but level it because obviously it is a big kame for young player.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a bummery won't see Pikachu from Pokemon again after last night, which was a big yo. Keiky Hernandez is gonna be bum when he's introduced on the field. But that's all right, Keer said, we appreciate it. We'll check you with you after the game. Still the come here. I'm Wrongo Causino Dodgers on deck. Will dive deeper into this pitchy matchup. David Vesse goes one on one with c C Sabathia.
Speaker 4: But I'm next.
Speaker 2: We'll get you an injury report and we'll hear from Dodger manager Dave Roberts. The Dodgers in Cubs Game two of the Tokyo Series. I'm Tim kats Is, the world champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Wrongo Casino Dodgers hunting on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Brongo Casino Dodgers on decontinues as he leads jump to first bench from Tokyo Dodgers and Cubs Game two of this Tokyo Series. Marongo Casino Resort and spy a Grand Slam for good times. Tonight's Sirokie Sazaki makes his Dodger debut.
Speaker 1: It's the LA Dodgers Injury Report.
Speaker 2: Presented by UCLA Healthy, official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Tony Gonsol on the iel with back tightness Clayton Kershaw moved to the sixty day IL, recovering from off season toe surgery.
Speaker 4: Kyle Hurt recovering from elbow surgery.
Speaker 2: Michael Kopek on the fifteen day IL, as is Evan Phillips. Both of them working their way back. Hope to join the Dodgers' bullpen sometime in April. Image shean done for the year. Bruce dark Crowder, I'll try to work his way back from right shoulder surgery.
Speaker 4: Let's head back out.
Speaker 2: To Tokyo and check out the Dodgers skipper anything.
Speaker 5: Dave questions for Dave.
Speaker 7: Dave, can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 4: Can you talk about the pressure in.
Speaker 1: The dugouts with Dave Roberts.
Speaker 8: What sort of restrictions, if any it will rookie be on tonight.
Speaker 9: There's no hard and fast. I think the stressful innings. I would say something in between four and four and five innings is ideal for the start, as my would be my thought.
Speaker 8: Dave, going back to Freddie, how much did he lobby you to try to play tonight? And will you not really know the extent of the injury until you get back to La He.
Speaker 9: Lobbied hard, like he always does. He wants to play every day, kind of prepared to play, but ultimately conceded to myself and the training staff it's just too early in the season to potentially put him in harm's way. Feels much better than he did yesterday. My expectation is that he'll be good to go for the series.
Speaker 4: Could have built the second row on your left.
Speaker 10: Then we'll go to Kirston after that.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 12: As exciting as these games have been, this whole trip to travel is part of you or part of the players, feeling like it'd be nice to get it over with tonight, get home, take a breath, and get back into more of a routine.
Speaker 9: I think you said it perfectly. This has been a great trip, But I do think I speak for the players. We're ready to win a ball game tonight and get back home and get back to our regular lives and routine. But it's been a tremendous experience.
Speaker 4: It has been a great experience.
Speaker 2: Played one game, won, and now Dodgers looking to go to two and oh in this Tokyo series. Will we continue here on Dodgers on debt. We will check in with David vas say so we lead you up to first bitch on this Wednesday Dodgers and Cubs. I'm Tim kaks Is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 5: Netwe on.
Speaker 1: This is Ma Wrongo Casino, Dodgers on Debt on your Home for the Blue.
Speaker 2: All Season Law, Dodgers in Cubs in the Tokyo Series to start the twenty twenty five season. Dodgers won the opener last night. Rookie Suzaki makes his Dodger debut first pitch, coming up a.
Speaker 4: Ten after.
Speaker 1: Joining Tim Kats on Dodgers on Deck. I accept everybody for who they are. This is Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 4: All right, DVS.
Speaker 2: He joins his now live from the Tokyo Dome. David, what's the sentiment you're getting with Freddy Freeman in this rib injury?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I saw Freddy earlier today in the team hotel, and he was determined at that point in time to try to play tonight. As you heard Dave Roberts say, he tried to do everything in his power to convince the Dodgers that he was ready to go. But the Dodgers, obviously playing gets smart, not trying to lose Freddy for what you know, that that rib injury could cost him six to eight weeks if he did more damage to it. So it was the play but my understanding, and Freddy mentioned this to me in the hotel yesterday. As I told you, he hurt himself during batting practice, and he told me this afternoon that it was on the third to last swing of his batting practice that he injured his left side.
Speaker 5: But you heard Dave Roberts.
Speaker 8: I mean that is really optimistic for him to believe Freddie Freeman is going to be ready for the Freeway Series.
Speaker 5: But if he is, hey, we'll take it absolutely.
Speaker 4: David is driven by Ford. There's one thing we like, its choices.
Speaker 2: Find yours With the Ford F one to fifty gas hybrid all electric tough, this mark can only be called F one fifty. The Dodgers' bullpen added some big names in the AUFSE even DV. But benk Spirius, one of those young arms we saw in October and yesterday was on full display.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I feel like Benk Caspirius doesn't get enough credit for what he was asked to do. In Game four of the World Series. He was supposed to be an opener, but he gave the Dodgers more than that in Game four to help their pitching staff and help them win four games in the World Series. And he was out here last night pitching a scoreless seventh inning, hitting ninety nine miles an hour on the radar gun. And I asked him earlier today whether or not he went through one of those Velocity lab programs that Dodgers are infamous for.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: I think just you know, the plan going into the offseason, just kind of tinkering with some mechanical things, cleaning up some movement based stuff in the weight room, and I've seen some really positive things so far.
Speaker 8: Who's helped you the most out of all the veterans that you had last year when you made that pseudo start in Game four and just in spring training, which veterans have really helped you and get your mind right?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think it's a collection of guys. I mean, we're lucky enough where the culture down in the bullpen specifically is so awesome. But I want to say guys like Blake Trinan, Michael Kopek, Evan Phillips, Alex Bessia, and the list goes on, obviously, but just in terms of, like my mental side, of things and just preparing myself for to be available every single game is obviously different from starting. So I think that was the biggest shift, and I think those guys have really helped me and kind of honed it on, you know, my my prep routine and you know, different ways of going about getting ready to compete.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Ben's kaspirace. You're gonna see him when the Dodgers get back to North America. Tim, this is not just a Tokyo Series thing. He's going to be a big part of the bullpen, especially with Evan Phillips and Michael Grove down and here at the Tokyo Dome. It is at capacity right now, and it is including Major League Baseball's PR to the Stars. John Blundell is in the house here in Tokyo, Japan. PR to the Stars a Major League Baseball including C C Sabathia, who will join us later in the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, looking forward to hearing from CC Dave. Time now with the Dodger derby brought to you by san Anita Park. David Ice like races in san Anita, then pick which horse who we think is going to win that race, and we see at the end of the racing season, who has the most wins. We're picking Friday's four fourth race at Santa Anita, currently a seven horse race, one mile on the dirt.
Speaker 4: Who do you like on Friday's fourth race? TV?
Speaker 5: Wow, I gotta go with God's favor.
Speaker 8: Who everybody needs God's favor, So I'm going with the number one horse.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go for Putt for Doe. A little golf reference there, Putt for Doe the sixth. You don't say yeah, believe it or not, it is a golf Appreciate it, DV.
Speaker 4: We'll check back in with you just a little bit.
Speaker 2: Dodger fans at Santa Anita Derby Day at Santaeeda Park on April fifth, get on the track for the Derby Day, five K Craft Beer Festival, Spring Carnival, and a full day of racing featuring the Santa Nita Derby with millions and payouts every race day. Visit Santa Anita dot com slash events for tickets.
Speaker 4: Coming up here on.
Speaker 2: Dodgers on Deck, we're gonna hear from CC Sabathie will dive deeper in this pitchet matchup, but up next You're Dodgers Magical moment don't go anywhere, leading you up to Dodgers in Cubs from Tokyo. I'm Tim Gass, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers in Cub second game of the Tokyo series from Japan. Rookie Sasaki, Justin Steele. The pitching matchup. First pitch coming up at ten after.
Speaker 5: Hot Dog, who wants a hot cut?
Speaker 1: It's time for the Hawfey Magical Moment. Pitch Magical presented by Hawfy Hot Dogs.
Speaker 2: We go back to March twenty second, twenty fourteen. Dodgers started this season in Sydney, Australia, mate taking on the Diamondbacks in a world famous Sydney cricket ground, sold out to see the Dodgers and Snakes. Clayton Kershaw pitched into the seventh Inny in that day, while Scott Van Slid provided the offense down under.
Speaker 5: It's nineteen runs batter.
Speaker 8: It got a swinging a fly ball slicing toward the right field corner.
Speaker 5: It is a football.
Speaker 4: And it's a home run. It sliced into the corner.
Speaker 8: The wind is blowing in from left field toward right.
Speaker 5: Van Slike, who.
Speaker 3: Narrowly missed a home run in his first bat, gets one here in the top half of the fourth or two run shot of the Dodgers take a three to nothing lead.
Speaker 2: Scott Vance like the two run home run of the fourth Clayton Kershaw would go six and two third Indians one run while striking out seven is The Dodgers beat the Diamondbacks in Sydney, Australia, back in twenty fourteen by a final of three to one. This Hofey Magical moment brought to you by Hofey hot Dogs, Hafey so Cow's local treasure for nearly one hundred years.
Speaker 4: Haffey hot Dogs, Local and so great.
Speaker 2: When we come back here on Dodgers on Deck, we will check in with Rick Monday and David Vasse as we leave up to first pitch Dodgers and Cubs on this Wednesday. I'm Tim Kass, the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio.
Speaker 1: Network Casino Dodgers On to Dodgers on Deck. Y'all on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: It's some Dodgers and Cubs the Tokyo Series to start the twenty twenty five season. Dodger fans start your future to California Community College. Financial aids available to help with tuition, books, and yeah, sometimes even the rent. It's time to take that next big step. Classes can fill up quickly, so enrolled today, I can go to college dot.
Speaker 1: Com and now joined by David Masse. Here's La Dodgers broadcaster and World Series champion Dodger Rick Monday.
Speaker 8: Rick, we are getting ready for the Tokyo Series, and there's a lot of former Major League Baseball players here, including a man that you used to call his starts when you pitch for the Dodgers, Hiroki Corona.
Speaker 6: Very good pitcher. On top of it, it's really kind of nice to see. We get the feed, Tim Neverert and I are looking at the feed from Tokyo, and during panic practice could see a lot of former players that were very familiar with around the band gagent on the field. On top of it, is it just perception or is it a little bit louder than last night? I don't know how that's possible, but at least down the line, it seems much louder right now than what we heard last night.
Speaker 8: Yeah, last night when we were doing this, they were having a Pokemon pregame entertainment and now we're getting into some cultural Japanese drums on the field right now.
Speaker 5: So that's what we got. Let's get a flavor.
Speaker 6: Let's get a flavor of it, because you send me a photo earlier today of a photo you took looking out the window of your hotel. It was snowing in Tokyo this morning.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was around nine o'clock local time, Rerick. And you just think that it's really cloudy or its rain, but no, it was snowing for about two hours this morning in Tokyo. But as we got on the one o'clock bus to the Tokyo Dome this afternoon, it had subsided. It was still chilly in the forty degree range here in Tokyo, thank you. But luckily they have the dome here so all as well. But certainly something you don't see before a Dodger game in the summer, snowing, and we got a taste of that. And Freddie Freeman Rick, as I let you know as well, he was determined to try to play tonight. But the Dodger medical staff told him, I think you'd better sit this one out.
Speaker 6: I think that's a very good idea from what we understand too, David. It's exactly the same location as the difficulty he had last year towards the end of the season then in the postseason two. But at least the pain level is much much lower then. You know, Freddie was saying, is it last night? If you go back to last year when he had that rib injury, he actually had to be helped to the car.
Speaker 5: He was in so much discomfort, no doubt, Rick, And you know this.
Speaker 8: I mean, obviously there's a lot of excitement over these two games in the Tokyo Series, but we've heard the Dodgers say so many times over the course of the last ten years that they've manage one hundred and sixty two game. So there's no reason to push him just because they're in a different country.
Speaker 6: Okay, you've been there, you've seen it, you've had a taste of it. The Dodgers and Cubs for that matter, and Major League Baseball went in with such high expectations. There's a great history of baseball in Japan, in Tokyo in particular, as this even exceeded those high expectations and what you've observed.
Speaker 5: Without a doubt, rig can you hear about it.
Speaker 8: You've heard stories about it, You've heard about the stories that you've described in the history that you've described between the United States and Major League Baseball in Japan.
Speaker 5: But just to be here and really feel their.
Speaker 8: Passion for the game, and honestly, ricked, you know the Cubs are here, like I mentioned, but I'm staring out to this capacity crowd and everybody has a Dodger had on, and not just a Dodger's shirt or jersey number seventeen. They are Otani Kraasy here in Japan. This is for him, make no mistake about it.
Speaker 6: Well, it was a good acceptance also Yamamoto last night. And then we look at Sasaki in this evening's ballgame as he will make his major late debut. I mentioned with Tim Neverett also in our opening shot on the radio side, a quote from Sasaki is says, I've been looking forward to this moment since I was in high school. This is a big, big deal.
Speaker 8: Big deal, Rick, and I guess we're all intrigued to see how he handles this a major league debut, nonetheless in his home country. So it's going to be interesting to see whether or not he's able to handle all this. And I'm sure you heard what Dave Roberts had to say, because right now, Sazaki essentially is a two pitch pitcher, fastball, split fingered fastball. And Dave Roberts said Rick that the key to Sasaki's success tonight is to make that splitter appear to be a strike out of his hand.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, And they were looking at the monitor. They just turned the lights out of the stadium. So I don't know if you hit the wrong button or not, but I hope that's part of the pregame show, David.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 8: And they have these automatic light up bracelets they give out to the crowd. So very high tech here in Japan. Just like you, Rick, you know how to handle your Apple devices.
Speaker 6: Well, get some rest on that fourteen hour flight. If you want. I'll meet you for breakfast somewhere tomorrow. Now I have the feeling you're going to sleep in I'll see at Dodger Stadium as the Freeway Series we'll get underway in a few days.
Speaker 5: Look forward to it.
Speaker 8: Rick, Thanks a lot, and we'll check back in with you and Tim Neverett a little bit later as Rick and Tim will be on the call, Tim Kates, we'll send it back to you and Burbank.
Speaker 4: All right, thanks a lot.
Speaker 5: DV.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by zench hand Crafted Sushi. Get ready to enjoy the game. Need a quick meal that's affordable and the whole family can enjoy Zen hand crafted sushi made fresh on site daily by professionally trained sushi chefs with precision passion in her tradition. You can taste by Zen She near the deli counter at Ralphs. Zen She handcraft his sushi, always fast, fresh and easy.
Speaker 4: Still to come.
Speaker 2: Here on Dodgers on Deck, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. But up next we go high and tight with ce Ce Sabathia Dodgers Cubs, Game two of the Tokyo Series.
Speaker 4: First pitch in ten after the hour.
Speaker 2: I'm Tim Kase's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Cassino Dodgers Hunt game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Cubs in Tokyo start the twenty twenty five season. Dodgers won the series opener in the Tokyo series yesterday, rookie Sasaki makes his Dodgers debut. Still to come, Tim and Rick will get you those keys of the game. I'll dive deeper into this pitcheat matchup before and.
Speaker 1: Now what will likely be vast fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 4: It's an engagement of in deer.
Speaker 1: This is high and tight.
Speaker 8: We're here in Tokyo, Japan, and we're joined right now by a man that was one of the greatest left handers of his generation. We actually have two of them in one dome, Clayton Kershaw and our guest, ce Ce Sabbathia, Cec, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 5: Appreciate it.
Speaker 11: Oh, no problem. Thank you.
Speaker 5: Great to have you here.
Speaker 8: And I know you've been such a big part of the ambassadorship of Major League Baseball with Commissioner Manfred Yeah.
Speaker 11: I mean, you know, it started the program about three years ago now, commission Ambassadors program. And you know myself, Andrew Jones, Adam Jones, Jimmy Rollins, Ryan Howard, you know, just some guys that you know loved the game of baseball, you know, gave their life. You know, most of their young life to baseball and just want to be around the game. So it's fun to be here in Japan, you know, witnessing opening day, you know, taking this in baseball.
Speaker 8: Well, you mentioned those names, and those of us that have been around the Dodgers for a while, we were all traumatizing those nine Phillies back together here.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean you got Victorino, you got Brian, you got Jimmy. I mean, that's that's the core of that team. Right.
Speaker 5: Goodness, at least not here, right Cee Cee.
Speaker 8: What's it like for you now that you are a Hall of Famer. I know you haven't had the induction ceremony yet, but do you feel different when you walk around these baseball circles?
Speaker 11: No, I mean I still feel the same. You know, it hasn't I guess it hasn't probably really sunk it in yet because the ceremony hasn't hit you know, in the moment, you know, it was incredible weak, you know, having a chance to get inducted and then go up to Cooperstown and you know, go to Cooperstown as a Hall of Famer, that was a special thing. But you know, I'm sure after July. You know, I'll feel more, you know, like a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 8: I saw you yesterday around the batting cage talking to Clayton Kershaw. He will join you one day in Cooperstown. What's the relationship that you had with Clayton when you were pitching and is there a mutual respect?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's definitely a mutual respect. I mean, you know, obviously watching from a distance for a long time and never really got a chance to interact though obviously playing on a different coasts, but being able to appreciate, you know, what he's done for so long, you know, in the big leagues. I'm excited, you know, I'm excited for him to get three thousand strikeouts, get healthy and you know, enjoy, you know, just right off into the sunset.
Speaker 8: Since you're both lefties and both great pitchers, the greatest of your generation. When you would watch him pitch, was there anything that reminded him reminding you of yourself?
Speaker 11: Well, I just think the competitiveness, you know, just wanting to go out and take the ball and give your team a chance to win every time out. That was something that I prided myself on, and I feel like he did the same thing CEC.
Speaker 8: With all these numbers and you know dissection of you know, pitches, doesn't it come down to that? Isn't that what separates the great ones that can be consistent and sustain a career, the competitiveness just compete every pitch, every at bat.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think so. I mean, I think that's what That's what defined my career. You know, it wasn't one pitch. It wasn't you know, you know, these special pitch that I had or anything like that. It was just me wanting to go out and get my team a chance to win every single time out. And you know that that ended up being, you know, a career worthy enough in coopers to be in Cooperstown. So I think just going out and competing is something that's lost, definitely in a lot of starting pitchers.
Speaker 8: That great baritone voice you're listening to is Hall of famer C. C.
Speaker 5: Sabbathia.
Speaker 8: I feel like when you were treated to the Brewers, that was one of the greatest competitive moments I have ever witnessed. You were on the verge of free agency, yet you were trying to get the Brewers into the playoffs and try to advance in the postseason. What drove you to put aside the business of baseball to be able to take the ball within a three day period.
Speaker 11: I think, just want to win. You know, I've always you know, wanted to be a winner, and you know, having a chance to go to Milwaukee and realizing that team hadn't been the playoffs, I think in twenty six years, you know, it was special. We had a good group, you know, Ricky Ricky Weeks was on that team, Billy Hall, Craig Council was on that team, Mike Cameron, so, Tony Gwyn junior Prince fielder. So it was it was a fun group to be around. I just didn't want the season the end. You know, Ben Sheets had went down with he had a shoulder injury. So you know, I felt like the best opportunity for us to win was me taking the ball as many times I had to, and I felt healthy and felt good and was just wanting to go out and win ball games for the team.
Speaker 8: Man, that was so special. I'll never forget it. I really won't. C. C. Sabathia, Hall of Famer is our guest. Before I let you go. The Dodgers are trying to do something that the Yankees did twenty five years ago to win back to back championships. When you look at this team and everybody's talking about already the World Series, you've had those expectations on you.
Speaker 5: What's the biggest key for these group of stars.
Speaker 11: I think just staying healthy. It seems like the culture here is really good. It seems like the guys get along, they root for each other, they're pulling the rope in the right direction, the same direction. But I think it's just about saying healthy. They have so much pitching here that these guys can stay healthy. It's gonna be really tough to be them low key.
Speaker 8: The offense kind of helped them win the World Series last year.
Speaker 11: Yeah, oh yeah, absolutely, But defense winning championships.
Speaker 5: Last night we saw that, right.
Speaker 8: They won that game with a really good defense, good base running, good approaches.
Speaker 11: Yeah absolutely. I mean, you know, with the arms and the pitching that they have, you know, top to bottom, from starters to the bullpen, they're gonna be really hard to beat.
Speaker 8: Awesome meeting you for the first time. I've admired you from AFAR. Like I said, what you did in Milwaukee one of the greatest stretches of time. A pitcher in the last thirty years has ever performed and you deserve the Hall of Fame no matter where you pitch, no matter what city you pitched in. Just that type of competitiveness and love for the game really stands out CC, and it's been a pleasure speaking with you.
Speaker 11: Oh, thank you. I appreciate that. And that's all I wanted my career to convey. It was just going out being a good teammate and trying to, you know, compete every time out.
Speaker 8: CC Sabbathia the Hall of Fame or Tim in Tokyo. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 4: All right, Thank you, DV, thank you. CC.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Shaky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner of the Dodgers Audio Broadcast.
Speaker 4: When it's game day, it's group day.
Speaker 2: As shakys dot Com lead, you have to first pitch Dodgers in cubs from Tokyo. Coming up, we'll dive deeper into this pitching matchup. It's the Tokyo Series. I'm Tim Kase's the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deap on your home for the Blue All Season.
Speaker 2: Law Dodgers in Cubs Game two of this Tokyo series. Dodgers took the series opener. Last night's first pitch coming up ten after and.
Speaker 1: Now before the Dodgers hit the dining, we look at the pitching.
Speaker 2: Matchup presented by your Southern California Toyota Dealers. Work hard and play hard at a new Tacoma with an I Force Turbo charts engine. It's a truck built for the bold. See yours Southern California Toyota Dealer today we make it easy. Justin Steele on the mound for the Caygo Cubs, twenty nine year old left hander. Fifth round pick of the Cubs in twenty fourteen out of high school in Mississippi, made his major League debut in twenty twenty one, primarily out of the bullpen. He was a sixteen game winner in twenty twenty three, an All Star that year as well. Last year, twenty four starts for Justin Steele five and five with a three zero six ERA and one hundred and thirty five strikeouts. Primarily a fastball, slider, sinker pitcher going for the Dodgers, making his debut. Roki Sasaki, twenty three year old right hander out of Japan, making his pro debut with Japan in twenty twenty one pitch four seasons there, twenty nine wins to two to ten. Era signed a deal with the Dodgers this past offseason. His fastball sits in the high nineties, often touches one hundred. His slider is good, but his best pitch is his split finger, which was one of the best in the world. He can throw it to both left handed and right handed hitters. Rookie Sasaki will be the thirteenth Japanese player to wear a Dodger. Dodgers and Cubs. We're fifteen minutes away from first pitch. Keys to the game are next. I'm Tim Kase is the world champion Los Angeles Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, this is Morongo Casino Dodgers on Jack on the official home of LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 2: Dodgers and Cubs in Tokyo, Game two of this series. Rokie Sasaki on the mound before first pitch, we head back out to the booth.
Speaker 4: Two guys on the call.
Speaker 2: Rick Monday and the birthday boy himself, Tim neverck guys.
Speaker 3: Tim, thanks again the Keys obviously pitching tonight, and how long is Rokie Susaki going to go? Dave Roberts saying earlier today that he feels four or five innings would be ideal. The last time we saw Sasaki pitch was in a Cactus League game against the Cleveland Guardians. He went four innings through forty one pitches. He was basically unhittable. Five innings, I think would be would be better for most people who like to watch Sasaki pitch, and I think you and I have grown really quickly to like watching him pitch.
Speaker 6: I think we're going to find out a lot about him tonight. First of all, there's no question on the ability that he has. How much of his emotion can he keep channeled in in tonight's ball game. I say that because I read an interesting quote that he made, and here was the quote. I've been looking forward to this moment since I was in high school. There's a lot of emotion that's going to be on that field tonight with Suzaki, and if I look on the other side of the field, Great Council has said, look, we've got to put pressure on Sasaki early in the ballgame. Do not let him get comfortable on the mound.
Speaker 3: We will see Roki Sasaki make his major league debut. He'll do it in his home country in front of a pack Tokyo Dome, and certainly the expectations are high for Susaki. He's got high expectations for himself. What we've seen so far in spring training has been remarkable. Again, he's just twenty three years of age, but he has incredible talent. He'll go against left hander Justin Steele. Steel two years ago finished fifth on the Cy Young voting in the National League. Last year, a couple of injuries set him back, but still a very very good pitcher for the Chicago Cubs, Cubs and Dodgers. First pitch coming up shortly, Tim.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Tim Never, Happy birthday to you. Also Clayton Kershaw's birthday today March nineteenth, during thirty seven years young, the future Hall of Fame left hander. So Dodgers and Cubs. Final game of this Tokyo series and its back for the Freeway series before the home opener next Thursday.
Speaker 4: First pitch from Tokyo is next.
Speaker 2: After the game, I'll be back with all the postgame festivities enjoyed everybody