Speaker 1: Aren't you gonna invite me in?
Speaker 2: Yuh? I'll tell you what. This movie has some incredible lines of dialogue, most notably from a one Miss Hailey Steinfeld. And I have been thinking about two lines of dialogue for three days now. I don't know how long ago I saw this movie, and typically goo right. Here's how it goes when we watch in review movies. This is what happens for most people. You walk out of a theater, you think it's this right, eight nine ten, in our case, thirty six or seven or eight to nine forty, and then after a couple of days goes down a dog or two, or you're starting nitpicking it. I think just the two lines of dialogue from Hailey Steinfeld has propped this movie up. It might even be a dog higher than what I felt like leaving the theater. I can't get it out of my head. I keep thinking about this movie and then like those lines of dialogue, and then I start thinking about more things about this movie. This movie is not perfect, but it's fucking sticking with me. Go it's sticking with me.
Speaker 1: But are you gonna invite people into your home now?
Speaker 2: If they're proposing to do what Hailey Steinfeld is. Yes, she is more than welcome in vampire form or in human form. I'm I'm a I'm of a mind that makes some moogie. Let's say that one good? Three?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just three, King of Queen MARYL.
Speaker 2: Street Entertainment, Go and I'm Mac.
Speaker 1: And you might be saying to yourself for these two the same person. Now we're different. We're Mac and Go.
Speaker 2: That's right, we are both wearing blue today. Though good coordination on our end. We just we got our real hive mind, like like this movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Michael A and B Jordan and all the vampiers.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, today we are discussing box office sensation Sinners the latest, and some may varue the greatest Ryan Kugler movie starring Michael B. Jordan. Good. Sinners is a movie that when it was announced maybe the middle of last year, everyone was like, oh, Okay Cougler Michael B. Jordan in definitely and you're like, oh, it's like a horror thriller set in the nineteen.
Speaker 1: Phar so other horror mystique vampire and some of us said.
Speaker 2: Huh, yeah, this is weird, and this movie is weird, but I think we can now officially say that Ryan Kugler, when given the keys to anything, he's gonna make that bitch run like this. This is an original idea, original script. It's not adapting anything straight from Ryan Kugler. I'm sure there were some influences, obviously. I don't know. Man, Ryan Couger gets it. He can make movies.
Speaker 1: You know what it reminds me of it. I'm not comparing it to these movies, but what I would compare it to in its uniqueness and how it's doing on Rotten Tomatoes and with its reception is get out and Crap. I just had it in my head, the John Krasinski movie.
Speaker 2: Oh well, you can't talk to anyone? The hell is it called?
Speaker 1: That's what it's called. You can't talk to anyone.
Speaker 2: They silent, the monsters can hear. No, it's called short One.
Speaker 1: But it's a lot like that where it does so much right. There's some stuff that you can nitpick, obviously, but they're so unique and different that they really stand out. Are you looking it up?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I'm look quiet.
Speaker 1: Oh it's called shut up zip it. It's called zip is Ziblah.
Speaker 2: It's called The Boss. Is it gonna get you? I think that that's pretty pretty more so with Get Out, I feel like too, in that it's a movie that sits with you for a little bit and you think about it and like, by the end of the year you might like it more than you do now. At least that's where I'm starting to trend now that I'm a couple.
Speaker 1: Of days truly fringe horror, like really not very like this could.
Speaker 2: Have been a great movie without the horror, and I think there's even and we'll get into it a little bit. The horror isn't shoehorned in, but I feel like it either could have come in earlier or remove it all together and we still got it like a great movie.
Speaker 1: But the horror adds a little commentary at the end.
Speaker 2: Yes, for sure, there's I just the horror element might be my least favorite part of the movie, if that makes sense. The more it complicates things a little bit, and I have some critiques there, but it is like, as far as vampire movies go, there's not many better, right, Like vampire movies can be kind of two tongue in cheek or b movie like this like takes them seriously and like, I don't know, it's it's I have a hard time like naming a better Van Empire movie.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm sure there's a couple, but I've never seen another vampire movie. This's my first vampire movie. What I love about the way they treat the vampires in this movie, which also I wouldn't have minded if in the trailers there was never a mention of vampires and then forty five minutes in you're like, what the fuck is going on? But also I will say this, they respect the rules of vampires in this movie better than maybe anything in a very long time.
Speaker 2: Well, right, so there's two basic rules with vampires, and they really just adhere to those two. They don't complicate it, they don't get too much into.
Speaker 1: Well there's more than just two, but yes, go ahead.
Speaker 2: Well they really it's like sunlight kills them and you have to invite them in that.
Speaker 1: Also, wooden steaks, garlic, they have a bunch of other stuff in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, you're right, Actually, yeah, true, Yeah, I don't. All right, let's let's get into it. Sinners made forty eight million on its opening weekend. Huge opening for a movie that's you know, not a well known, not a known ip whatsoever, you know, brand new fucking idea from the mind of Ryan Coogler. It's up to seventy one million domestic after a week and a half, eighty seven million worldwide. It's gonna make a ton of money again this weekend. It's holding strong. It's had one of the best strongest releases post Easter in a long long time. It is a rated R action, drama, horror and thriller and goo. Why this movie is so good is the drama element the characters that they give you in the relationships, the way these characters are connected is the best part of this movie. And the other things that get brought in heighten those things. But the drama element in the relationship between characters here is why this movie kicks ass.
Speaker 1: I actually love the little bit of humor that is tossed in there because it feels so natural. And I do think that has a lot to do with the charisma of two Michael B.
Speaker 2: Jordan's Yeah, were you distracted by two Michael BEA's at all? I was distracted a.
Speaker 1: Little bit because they weren't different enough, like they had like minor differences. Usually when you see two of the same actor, like say if they're playing twins. One of them has a British accent, you know which ones which?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they even had the same facial hair here, so there was like no reason.
Speaker 1: That's a cool facial hair though, like that that's of the time. By the way, period piece. The look of this movie, it's fucking beautiful. It is a beautiful movie, and they go out of their way to like really show the landscape and how big the South is the sky, which does play into stuff later.
Speaker 2: I think it's one of those movies where the town, the setting, the times becomes a character in and of itself. Right, we're talking early nineteen thirties in the Deep South, where there's obviously like it's there's deep racism there, you know, the clans involved a little bit. I think it's was it Clarksville, Mississippi something like that.
Speaker 1: It's in and around Mississippi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it plays a big part in this movie and becomes a character. And Cougar did an incredible job setting that scene that time. Like there's a there's a shot in this movie where smoking stack or downtown at this Mississippi thing and like, oh, I need a sign, and then uh, the Chinese family who is accepted in both worlds, the black community and the white community. The daughter walks across the street to the white side, and it's a tracking shot across the street, which I loved into the white like he just like the small little things like that. It's a it's like an eight minute tracking shot, but it sets like the whole scene, and it gets you to understand like the gravity of what's going on in the time and place.
Speaker 1: Accepted as in like they're allowed to sell people stuff like I would assume that if you're looking in the communities of both, they're probably not accepted in either.
Speaker 2: You're right, they're they're they're outliers in both, kind of pariahs in both, I suppose, but they're according to the whites, higher than the black people. And then the black people they're not white, so they they're able to bounce around in both worlds. Good. This movie has a run time of one hundred and thirty seven one hundred and thirty seven minutes, two outs and seventeen minutes. I almost needed like a good five or tenants ten minutes more on some remic background, so a little more vampire background, a little bit an earlier introduction, so that his character had a little more gravity, was a little more sympathetic because by the end you're actually really you really like this character, and you're like, well, I wish I got a little more backstory here.
Speaker 1: Or even some vampire foreshadowing in the first third of the movie, just a little bit.
Speaker 2: We needed a little bit of it, because when he's introduced, it's kind of out of fucking nowhere. Like it. It was mildly annoying because you go into this knowing it's a vampire movie and you don't see any vamps until yeah, probably the beginning of the second act, and ultimately that's okay. But because the villain Remiic played by Jack O'Connell, is so good and there's so many parallels being drawn between what that experience is and what like the black experiences in the South in the nineteen thirties, you kind of wish to get a little more background there, and you never get it. You just have some lines of dialogue from him.
Speaker 1: But also, if he wasn't there, if this wasn't a vampire movie and it was just about two brothers running a nightclub and then having to deal with some aftermath after about maybe not making enough money or dealing with the people that sold him the barn like that also would have been a very interesting movie.
Speaker 2: I totally agree. And I wonder, I wonder at what point did this become a vampire movie or was it always a vampire movie? Like was did Coogler have this idea to tell this story about black people in the south of the thirties and draw parallels with like the whole vampire religion type of thing. And that's the other thing. There's a huge religious undertone to this and questioning religion and how it basically is a tool to oppress people and.
Speaker 1: Has been questing the power of music as well.
Speaker 2: Right, And that's a genius part of this script as well, is it really makes you question, if you haven't already you know some why religion is the way it is, how it came to be, and why it's used the way it is. Goo on Rotten Tomatoes, this movie has ninety eight percent from the critics ninety seven percent from the audience on Metacritic in eighty four so by the end of the year this is still going to be one of the best movies of the year by those metrics. I'm sure we'll still be talking about this movie by the end of the year. And of course this is written and directed by Ryan Couger. We've mentioned him a couple of times already. You would know Couglar from Fruitvale Station. That was his debut. That's where him and Michael B. Jordan first got together. It was twenty thirteen. Creed was the next effort, which was I think once Creed happened, because no one wanted a new Rocky movie, right, no one wanted to dabble in that universe. Again, Creed happens, and you're like, oh, I guess we can make more Rocky movies Michael Jordan and Ryan Couger. Yeah, right, right, and I would say yes. And then of course he did Black Panther in Wakanda Forever. So so far that's one, two, three, four, This is his fifth movie. I'd say he's five for five.
Speaker 1: Oh, Roddy Te's had a chart up of all of his movies. I think he's six for six. You might be missing one, but he's either high eighties or nineties and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so clearly once again, like hand him the keys to whatever, you know, key to the city, let him do whatever the.
Speaker 1: Hell whiles I believe is his next thing, right.
Speaker 2: Well not yeah, they've been talking about it. What's officially announced, at least on IMDb is he has Isaah Wakonda coming up I think at the end of this year, which is in the MCU. And then something called Wrong Answer, and the synopsis for that is a math teacher in Atlanta is scandalized when he looks to get funding for his school by altering his students' test scores. So that seems to harken back to the fruit Vale roots because Fruit Veil I think was based on a true story. That seems like it's based on a true story.
Speaker 1: I thought it was about every time I ask you a question.
Speaker 2: Michael B. Jordan already signed on for Wrong Answer too, so yeah, I'm sure we'll be looking for.
Speaker 1: That many others. Michael B.
Speaker 2: Jordan's I Think Just Be A is not going to be in that synopsis. Goo for sinners trying to leave their troubled lives behind, twin brothers return to their hometown to start again, only to discover that an even greater evil is waiting to welcome them back. This stars Miles Catan Caton as Sammy Moore slash Preacher boy one second.
Speaker 1: So first off, he's amazing in.
Speaker 2: This his first movie ever.
Speaker 1: He does the singing in this correct that is actually really enjoy his singing voice.
Speaker 2: Hell of a voice.
Speaker 1: But I'll also say, and it's not the fault of the movie, but whenever I hear preacher Boy, I think of paper Boy and then I start singing that in my head.
Speaker 2: Enough. Jack O'Connell as Remick, he is the main vampire, the main villain. I guess Michael B. Jordan as both Smoke and Stack, the twin brothers that we've been talking about. Goo, your hand is raised again.
Speaker 1: In the movie. Now I could tell them at part because one had a red suit one did not. But also, did you know their names throughout the movie?
Speaker 2: Once they attached them to their loved ones, then I had it figured out. Okay, And they do separate them like at the beginning of or towards the end of that first act too, so you're kind of feeling it out.
Speaker 1: But a funny though if they called each other by the wrong name a lot, because that would have just confused everyone, but no one would have wanted to question it.
Speaker 2: What what is cool? Smoker Stack?
Speaker 1: The name Stack?
Speaker 2: I think smoke smokes cooler.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we just figured it out. I'm Stack, You're smoke. All right, sounds I'm thinking like stacking papers.
Speaker 2: Oh but huh so all right, we'll get back to that. What would you rather be? We'll ask that question.
Speaker 1: Who would I rather be?
Speaker 2: Smoke or Stack?
Speaker 1: You'll have to tell me at the end which ones?
Speaker 2: Which strong cough I have there. David Maldonado as Hogwood, he's the guy that sells the property to smoke Stack.
Speaker 1: I also want that name, though.
Speaker 2: Hogwood, you want to be Stack, Hogwood, Hogwood, Stack, Hogwood.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Helena Who as Lisa Chow. She is the Chinese wife and mother. Uh just yao. Apparently this gentleman just goes by Yao. As Bo Chow, he was great. He's the father husband, del Ray, Lindo has Delta Slim. Was awesome. Every line of dialogue he.
Speaker 1: Said was Was he in too much of the movie to give him plemonade?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd say so. Yeah, he's fully in two thirds of the movie.
Speaker 1: But look at the billing though, look how far down he is.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: But all right, Credit Union, Max, Credit Union.
Speaker 2: It is a real group of characters here, Jamie Lawson as Pearline. She was great too. You would know her as Bella Reale from the Batman Universe. She plays a nice role in this Goo. Hailey Steinfeld is Mary. You want to talk plemonade. There's your fucking plemonade.
Speaker 1: Right, he's in't too much of the movie. No, she's not, And she's like second billing. If you look at the posters, she's on the poster, you can't give her.
Speaker 2: She's second billing. But she only has what like eleven manes.
Speaker 1: No, you may plemonade in your pants when you saw her, but come on, yeah, that's what you did.
Speaker 2: This is a pe program here. Uh Goo Omar Betson Miller as Cornbread. You might remember him from eight mile I Love when this dude pops up.
Speaker 1: He's also on what was the Rock?
Speaker 2: It goes in the Chittn' tickey, don't freaking goes Done Done, Dune freaking goes.
Speaker 1: What was that show with the Rock and Rob Kaudrey where they played agents. It wasn't Entourage, but it was Football Ballers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Ballers on HBO. There you go. Uh one Meme Masaku as Annie. This is Smoke's love interest. Mary is stacked love interest. Uh, you would know her as I wish you'd be fifteen in the Marvel universe in the.
Speaker 1: MCU oh, I didn't even realize that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's her.
Speaker 1: And then also she you know, also some I wouldn't say voodoo people accuse her of you of voodoo. In the movie, she is like loosely aware of She's the one that everyone know what the rules are. She's the Jimmie Kennedy of the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh. We also get Buddy Guy as old Sammywards the end of the movie noted blues Legend. That was great, and then a couple other characters here. Saw Williams as Jedi Dier. That's Preacher Boy's father the Preacher Andreine Warren Hummon is Ruthie Tanaje l Jackson's Beatrice. Sam Malone is Terry. I put him in here because his one scene is when he's robbing the truck and he shot in the leg Are you great fucking scene? And then the other two main vampires we meet it at some point. The first two that get turned are Peter Dromanus as Bert and Lola Kirk as Joan, and they were perfect at like playing second fiddle as well. The casting of this movie was a plus. They fucking absolutely nailed that.
Speaker 1: Oh, the casting, the like so much of this movie. I think you got a Cinema score of like an a. So much of this movie and the feel of this movie is a plus.
Speaker 2: It feels like a movie that did everything right and so the only real things you can nitpick or or script decisions. And I think that's sort of where I'm at, Like, I have no gripes about anything this movie other than like when things take place in the story in something they decided to do or not do. So it's a really hard movie to criticize in that way, and I think that's why you're seeing such high scores, because they nail every aspect of what makes a movie good.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that it does lack in the horror department, but I'm not necessarily looking for a truly spooky scary movie here.
Speaker 2: No, I agree, And I think if someone came into this wanting full vampire movies, you might be not a little disappointed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're going into this looking for the full vampire, gore zombie monster movie, it ain't that yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I agree, I agree, and go another thing that I think was this movie's strong point is it essentially takes place over one day. You have like a final fifteen minutes or so that is not taking place that day, but the core of the movie. This, the plot of this movie takes place one day. And I love that. It's just like you're in and you're out. It helps with the pacing. Even though it's a two hour and seventeen minute movie, it didn't feel long. He almost needed a little bit more. Like I said, the music and the scores unreal and music is such a central part of this more movie and storytelling, and they use it in fantastical ways. There's a couple truly great musical scenes here. I just I have like some questions and maybe a couple cons.
Speaker 1: We can do that in spoilers, though, because I think we can dive a little bit deeper. Let's do the gauntlet real quick. I actually added one if you don't mind, but okay, quite along with me. Let's go with fun factor. And I thought it was the first even before we got to the vampires. I thought that of Preacher Boy with his cousins and going to set up their day, I thought that was wildly fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's like if when you really nail a setting in a period piece, it becomes fun because it's like it's history and you're like, oh, this is what it was like that, and you're like gripped by everything on the screen. And that's why I like, I'm having a heart, Like when I'm thinking about this movie in retrospect a couple of days removed, like, man, they did that well, they did this well, they nailed that. I'm like, this movie might be going up on the dog scale, Like it's just it's a very fun movie, setting, characters, music, Like it's a very fun movie.
Speaker 1: Also, as the movie goes along, you find out a little bit more each minute about smoke Stack and preach a boy and their family.
Speaker 2: Right, and and that's so maybe if this took place over a week instead of a day, you would have gotten more of that. I don't know if it's better, but I like how. I like how you get the tidbits, you know, But.
Speaker 1: I also don't need perfect bows tied on everything. I like some things left to not the imagination. But like you can interpret it different ways.
Speaker 2: And there's something to be said about like leaving the theater wanting more of this in that you know.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad that you brought that up, satisfactor. I think this movie does an amazing job of giving you a very satisfying ending, but I'm not sure if I wanted that.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm somewhere in and around there with you. It walks a fine line at the end that I think I liked, but I don't know if I liked, And I'm sure as we have this conversation, I'll make my mind up on that. There is a very satisfying Tarantino like conclusion to our main story. And then there's like a epilogue kind of mid credit scene that continues the story and like it gives you a definitive answer to a certain question. And I don't know if it needed that.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna tip my hand. I didn't care for it.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, that's fair, And.
Speaker 1: The Tarantino ending almost makes it feel like that was the ending of a movie that say, if they didn't have the vampires, that would be the conclusion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was interesting and that part was satisfying, but it's not the actual end of the movie, which is why it's like, okay, And again, I wonder if when when Koogler was writing the script, like when he decided to put vampires in this movie. You know, I don't know if it was something that he had from the beginning or not. And the movie doesn't.
Speaker 1: Tell you that or not borometer not boring.
Speaker 2: It's not a boring movie because even.
Speaker 1: The stuff that I and I'm not even saying I don't like it. I just think I would have liked the end to be a different spot. But that stuff isn't boring. It's interesting. I'm just not sure if I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even though it takes a little bit to get into the vampire element of this movie, because they nailed like the time and place of nineteen thirty South, like that stuff is not born.
Speaker 1: I had the most fun in the setup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, agreed, Halloween.
Speaker 1: Will this movie wane over time?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I think that this will be more appreciated over time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree, And I think I already appreciate it more than I did when I left the theater. I don't know if it's gonna be like in our top four by years end. I have a feeling like it's probably just gonna miss out, but it'll be in the conversation, It'll be at the very least like horrible mention for a best movie of the year.
Speaker 1: Hawk water World. It's better than water World for sure. Spooky, scary, did you jump at all?
Speaker 2: No, So it's not going back to your point about horror movies. It's not really a great horror movie, right. But also like vampire stuff never really leads to great horror movies either. You know, like I, you're never truly scared by vampires, right, it's just they are what.
Speaker 1: Even the vampires in this I wasn't afraid of the vampires. I found like like I did even find them eerie.
Speaker 2: They were the only like eerie shot. Oh, there's a couple scenes actually, when Cornbread goes out to take a piss, when you hear the voices, that was cool and like spooky.
Speaker 1: And then there's one musical thing. There's a musical thing going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Then when Mary goes out to confront them and she turns and you see remick like float dish. Pretty cool.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't like that. That's how you vampires do. You don't know what vampires do. I don't max credit Union. I want to give credit to the people that decided that we're gonna play by the normal rules of vampires. We're not gonna create our own rules. They're not gonna sparkle in the sun. If it's the sun, they're gonna burn. If they're not invited in a house, they're not gonna go in. They don't like garlic. If you have silver, they're not gonna attack you. Credit.
Speaker 2: I give credit to Ryan Kugler for having.
Speaker 1: He probably made the rules, so I'll give him credits together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's this is like a This is a clear credit to Ryan Cougler for making this movie.
Speaker 1: When life gives you plemings, you make plemonade. You said, I can't give it to the old blues singer, So.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can give it to Dell, right, No, I think he's in it too much. That's just my opinion.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed him, all right.
Speaker 2: I am giving it goo to Hailey Steinfeld is married.
Speaker 1: He's in it as much as him.
Speaker 2: She's in the third act more, but she's not really in the movie that much until then she gets She's in like two scenes before the third act and both are tour de forces, and then in the third act gup once she comes back into the little what do they call it, the juke. There she delivers two lines of dialogue that I'm gonna be thinking about for years, for years. She brought, she kicked this movie up to another level. Without her, this movie is still really good, but it's missing something. Her performance was fucking great.
Speaker 1: Excite bike Man, pants tan City. What got you going? Mac? And we know the answer.
Speaker 2: Hailey Steinfeld. I'll tell you that. When she says want some, I was like, oh dude, and she has a line about Robin trains and we'll get it too that in a second, I was like, that is a fucking incredible The fact that Kugler wrote that this movie, by the way, we have this is a perfect time to talk about it. Excited byke Mania pants tense City. This movie is horny as fuck. This movie is sexy. I Ryan Kugler, I fucking you, dog, you you you went out of your way to put in a couple of scenes in this movie that were full pants tense City. And credit to you, my man.
Speaker 1: And also, it's sexy, no nudity.
Speaker 2: No nudy. Yeah you're right, and it's still uber sexy.
Speaker 1: It's horny as f and sweaty. Well yeah, you're sweat till you stink, I want to taste you. For those of you TARTI to the Mack and Goop party. We rate everything on a forty hot Dog rating system. MAC. I love the look of this movie. I love the period piece. I love following around the twins, uh, Preacher Boy, I love I like every character in this movie. They went and made it where you root for every character in this movie, even the ones that when they first jump in there, you're like, I hate this guy. Oh wait, no, I don't. I actually like this guy.
Speaker 2: The vampires at one point there's a fucking musical song and dance like in the Rain. Almost you're like, I think I'm rudy for these guys now, Like I it makes you question everything.
Speaker 1: There's also a scene in the juke where Preacher Boy is playing, where I'm not I'm not sure if I love every choice of like the musicians that pop up in there.
Speaker 2: It's a transition.
Speaker 1: It's a cool idea, But I think the better shot is the shot from the vampires after mine. I agree that it looks awesome.
Speaker 2: That was really cool, where it like the walls had been burnt down and they pulled back to the point of view of the three Vampires.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that tracking shot that I also really enjoyed Michael B. Jordan his charisma to be able to pull off both of these characters, and I really fucking love this movie. My issue is that I think there was a clear point that they could have cut it and had almost like this inception like ending of where preach a boy is and that's you don't know what's gonna happen next, Maybe he deal, let's talk about it after. I don't want to get too far into the end, but the ending does make me say like, oh there, I think there was a tidy or not even a tightier because like the end that they give you is really satisfactory. It's just that I don't know if I wanted that satisfactory ending thirty six or thirty seven hot Dogs.
Speaker 2: Cool, cool, fucking motherfucker. So when I left the theater, I was thinking thirty six Hot Dogs like good, borderline, great movie, a movie that I've been thinking about and telling people to watch. That's what we're talking about here, Like I want people to see this movie because I think it's a really interesting and deep conversation you can have about this movie. I do have some caveats in there though caveatsbats. I was a little distracted at first with the two Michael Bees. Took a little use, a little time to get used to it, got over it when they I liked them. They separated them so I didn't have to look it to on screen at the same time and like look to see if like where they cut it and where a body double? Is my main gripe here though, goo is we don't get into it. We don't. We don't even sniff or get introduced or think about vampires until like forty five minutes into this movie, and you just have Remick being chased by Native Americans into a house, and You're like, I knew we were getting vampires, but I'm like, this is how we're doing it. It's like a it's like a random outbreak, and like, why are the Native Americans even introduced into this movie? Ultimately? And I supposed it all over one day, so you can sort of excuse where they go and like why they don't do a certain thing or pop up here or there. I just feel like we needed a little bit more of a background of a build up for rem who's our main villain here, or like an earlier infusion of vampires into this story, or some drops while we were in that town, right, someone in the shadows or something like that. And I also think making Remick slightly more sympathetic would have bumped up the climax of this movie, which I loved. It was a great scene, but you're not really rooting for Remick until that moment because of what he's saying, and I wish we had a little more sympathy on his end. It would have made him a better villain. So I loved everything else about this movie. I just that's my main gripe about the story, and I think it's a legit gripe, where like the vampire stuff feels uneven and like you just maybe needed it spotted earlier or a couple more things maybe explained. I have this at thirty seven hot Dogs. It's gone up definitively for me. The more I'm thinking about it, and the more I'm thinking about how layered this movie is and the themes that they're playing with and the dialogue, it's just a c And I wouldn't be surprised if this goes up to thirty eight by the end of the year, Like that's the type of move we're talking about. It's a movie you'll be thinking about all year. It's a movie you're gonna want your friends to see so that you can talk to them about it. It's a great movie.
Speaker 1: Also, before we get to the spoilers, I love the conclusion for like the conclusion to each story for both Michael B. Jordan's.
Speaker 2: It was fitting, really fitting for both characters. But to your point, they do sort of tie things up in a nice, neat little bow. And did we need that? I don't know. I think, I like, I do. I did like it, But did it make the movie better? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Spoiler spoiler spoiler, spoiler spoiler, spoiler, spoiler, spoiler spoiler. We have one Michael B. Jordan that is able to die and go on to the afterlife with smoke smoke okay uh, with his child who passed and with what's her name?
Speaker 2: Annie?
Speaker 1: Annie her name? And then we have the other Michael B. Jordan to stack who was able to live his life and move on to a time when his love with Hailey Steinfeld's character would be more accepted.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the the mid credit or epilogue, whatever you want to call it, is a sixty year time jump and we see Preacher Boy has opened up his own blues club in Chicago, so homage to Smoke and Stack, and he calls it Pearlins, which is like one night only and that man got krypt in and we'll never forget that woman ever, and he's playing the blues up there, and then at the end of the night, Stack and Mary have to be invited into the joint. They have this conversation that cuts back to the moment where Smoke, where you thought Smoke had killed Stack, turns out that didn't happen. Obviously. We're seeing him here and he says, and this was a little corny, He's like, I'm gonna let you live as long as you don't like touch Preacher Boy. Don't ever affect Preacher Boy. Let that man live his life. And it's just like him and Mary being cool as fuck in nineteen ninety two, where in ninety shit like they're like, we bought all your albums. We kind of watched you from afar, Like it was cool to see that Stack and Mary had like lived on and like they're still doing their thing. I don't know if I needed them to come back together with Preacher Boys.
Speaker 1: So I'm not critiquing this amazing movie, but I think it would have been enough if they said, are we allowed to invite these people in? He says yes, but kind of cautiously, and then you just see them either walk to the door or walk in the door, and that's it. So you know that they're still around. You know that they've lived together and had their life together, and maybe Preacher Boy has also been dealing with them for the sixty years since, but we don't know this, like we have to fill in the gaps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I agree with a lot of what you're saying, And this is why I'm having trouble deciding whether I liked this mid credit epilogue type of thing because there was a couple I What I did love is seeing the fact that Stack and Mary, who were like soulmates, got to live their lives.
Speaker 1: Which all you had to do was to see them though you didn't need the conversation out.
Speaker 2: And you almost didn't need to see them if if it was just like, hey, we have two people at the door then and know if they can come in.
Speaker 1: And now that's it.
Speaker 2: But I think I think that would have been would have been cool. But then when they were leaving. I fucking loved the acknowledgement, Preacher Boy says to Stack. He was like, hey, when you said like this was the best day of my life or that one that night was the best night of my life, were you like being truthful? And they're like, yeah, that was like the last time we were truly free for that one night. And like I thought that line of dialogue hit and that was cool and that was cool to have like that that conversation happened. But I didn't love the like they sat down chumped it up for a second like that I didn't love. I did love that Stack and Mary like that love last forever, and I loved that the acknowledgment of like the music and the blues or when they were truly free. That was like they died that night, but it was the best night of their life.
Speaker 1: And then also with Smoke's death, While yeah, it's always cool to get that Tarantino shootout at the end, I had almost like so when Preacher Boy goes back to the ch I kind of said to myself, oh, I bet Smoke is gonna deal with the Ku Klux Klan now, like off on his own and like I said it in my head and just said, okay, we'll just move on from this. But then they showed it.
Speaker 2: Shout Out the Strangers one of my all time favorite horror movies. They open and close the movie the same way they do here. The opening of that movie is the children walking down the street and the strangers are pulled over and they get the fucking the religious pamphlets and then they walk up to the house see it, and it cuts back. Same sort of thing here we cut It opens with Sammy preacher boy, pulling up to the church, and we cut back to that. So I do like that. So getting to Smoke's death, I absolutely loved the climax of this movie Goo with Remick having Sammy like in the Shallows, getting ready to end him. The dialogue there between the two characters is fucking incredible. And then when Sammy starts reciting the Ae Father and Remick is also saying it, and he's like, these words aren't gonna save you. They don't belong to you. They are forced on you the same way they were forced on me when my people got you know, taken over. Like that is just such brilliant writing and moment like these these words might comfort you, but they're not gonna save you. Like these words are just another form of repression. You're being repressed right now for racial reasons, but like religion is the same shit. Like that's what Remick is hammering home. And now you know the oppressed, the oppressed becomes the oppressor. So not that Remi's right, but like what he's saying is right. And I really loved that that, Like the dynamic there, the lines, the things they're connecting there was fucking great. And then Smoke saved Sammy in a fantastic way, and like then the sun comes out and they all get burnt up, and you think they're all dead until you see Stack and Mary in the post credit, and then you get like that what final ten minutes where Smoke is preparing for the clan members to come that next morning, and it's great. He fucking demolishes him in a fantastic Tarantino style like shootout, and then I did It was a beautiful scene where he's sitting there because he's mortally wounded too, and he looks to the right and he sees Annie who died the night before, and their dead son or daughter.
Speaker 1: I forget who but he also had to kill her. He had to free her spirit when she became a vampire.
Speaker 2: Right and then like they see the like that was a really cool scene.
Speaker 1: It was. I just wasn't sure if I needed that scene though.
Speaker 2: Annie. He has a great line of dialogue though she calls him by his real name, which I forget, and she says put that out. I don't want any smoke on her saying I don't want first of all, the smoke, but like, I don't want the character of smoke in the afterlife. I want the real youth. That was a great line of dialogue too. It was a really cool death, great way.
Speaker 1: My wife said the same thing to me, but she said goo, I was holding slime at the time.
Speaker 2: Yes. So, getting back to your overarching point about things being kind of tied up in a nice, neat little knot, I think there's some people that are gonna be really satisfied by that. How like the characters we thought were super.
Speaker 1: Cool satisfactors through the Roof, I just don't I also think.
Speaker 2: There are people more Cinophiles that are going to be like for the story, it would have been better if they cut it off here.
Speaker 1: Because I think it would have been its best ending with Preacher Boy's father saying put that guitar down, and then it just cuts to him on the road holding it the guitar and that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I liked and I love because and it goes back to his conversation with Stack in the future. He chooses music and the blues over the religion because the music and the blues is when he's truly free. It's truly when he's himself and he like he is bringing up those souls and everything from the.
Speaker 1: But you could have just you didn't need that conversation. You could have just no, I had movie get that.
Speaker 2: I get that, and that's where and that's where I feel like, you know, maybe you're you're you're closer to forty hot Dogs if there's a little more of that inceptioning stuff that you're talking about there. But like, the music is fucking fantastic, dude. Like the soundtrack and like, what is it Lugwood Gordonson who did the score and the music for this movie. Fucking phenomenal dude, Like one of the most memorable soundtracks and scores in a while. And like the music is a character in this movie. The setting, the time, the place, to character. Like, this movie just does everything well. It does everything well.
Speaker 1: I also loved when Smoke revealed that the guitar was their fathers. Yeah that was great, and that Sack had lied about where they got it from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was good. And there was like so that's the other thing too, Like we don't get much about their background, Like they allude to fighting in World War One, you know, they left, go to Chicago, come back. We don't get like any background there. We don't get the I think what we needed was some vampire background. So that's where I have like some.
Speaker 1: We also like we don't truly know what they did to get their money.
Speaker 2: It's just right right, yeah, Rob the Irish and the Italians in Chicago. Like, and that's where at two hours and seventeen minutes, I know this is technically a long movie, but it feels like we needed like another ten minutes of that stuff and maybe five minutes less on the.
Speaker 1: Back, I would have preferred that stuff over the satisfactory ending.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I get that. I get that, And and I don't know if I'm quite as far they're saying, I don't know if I like I did like a lot of what we got at the end. But I agree, like with with your sentiment there, but like that's what we're talking about, Like we're nitpicking because it's a great movie.
Speaker 1: We should have said this at the beginning, we recommend this movie.
Speaker 2: So like I feel like I'm having a thirty seven hot dogs and I'm like, as I'm talking about, maybe it is thirty eight. Like it's not a forty hot dog movie. Don't get me wrong, It's not gonna it's not gonna get to that pantheon, but it is one of the best movies of the year, and it is gonna be a movie you think about all year.
Speaker 1: Are there any of your questions, cons and pros that we did not get to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we talked about the vampire stuff. Again, I wanted early intro remic, being more sympathetic would have been better. Oh yeah. Also, here's a big question for you. We didn't talk about this. What did you think about Grace and them setting up her daughter and that being the reason for them to yell for the vampire. They they did need a reason. I don't know. That's why I'm like, I don't know if I loved it, but I don't know how you do it better than what they chose to do it. They like intentionally set it up so that she had the daughter to motivate her in that scene. I get it. I don't know if I loved it, But where the fuck did the Native Americans go?
Speaker 1: I was asking that the entire time, and I thought at some point they were going to show up to help the final two or three living people, or like.
Speaker 2: That morning when the clan arrived, like they roll up on Michael as he's already like took taking them out, Like it was just it was weird, like and that's it. It goes back to like they're in the vampire introduction scene and that scene feels really out of place because they're there and the vampires there forty five minutes in we never ever see them again, and like that's how we get the vampire intro that. Like I didn't love that. I really didn't love how the vampire stuff came into it, and I didn't love how the Native Americans just never came back.
Speaker 1: Are there any of your pros that.
Speaker 2: There's also an actual post credit of the gentleman who played Sammy Miles, Cat and katan On Isaay's name, uh playing music for like a minute at the end, him singing, I.
Speaker 1: Wish I stayed for that. I thought that singing in the music in this was fantastic.
Speaker 2: That man has an incredible voice. Incredible voice.
Speaker 1: Can you recommend this to non horror people?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it's not that scary. It's just it's an element of it. It's more of a thriller than it is like a horror like I. And there is some blood in a little bit of gore, but it's not over the top and I don't think it's something that people wouldn't be able to stomach if you're not into that. I think this is a movie you can recommend to everyone.
Speaker 1: And they're also not using the vampires as monsters as much as they were using them to just get the point across.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's more of an allegory and it's and it's more of a storytelling element than it is to scare people.
Speaker 1: Let's get into Max Sack. Ma Sack could be anything. It could be a boat and Mac. In the movie that we just saw, Michael B. Jordan played not one but two characters. I Am gonna run through the Mount rushmore of I believe the greatest actor playing two characters in a movie, maybe more than two characters in a movie. Tell me if you believe Michael B. Jordan did a better job than the actors that I read off.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Michael B. Jordan versus Jack Nicholson in Mars Attacks.
Speaker 2: I'll take Michael be here.
Speaker 1: He plays the president, he plays that other guy. You don't like it.
Speaker 2: It might be one of Jack Nicholson's finest roles.
Speaker 1: Actually, that's your weezer take, that's your the shining No One flew over a Cuckoo's Nest, No Mars Attacks. Michael B. Jordan versus Mike Myers in the Austin Powers trilogy.
Speaker 2: As much as I enjoy that, and as much as I enjoy Eddie Murphy as I'm sure you're gonna bring up in a second, don't you give me Michael B. Give me Michael B.
Speaker 1: Austin Powers, Doctor Evil, Fat Bastard, gold Member, give me Michael B. I'm taking Austin Powers.
Speaker 2: Fair enough.
Speaker 1: Michael B. Jordan versus Eddie Murphy in all of his movies.
Speaker 2: I'll take Michael B.
Speaker 1: Coming to America. He plays like five characters the clumps. He's all of the clumps, not professor in Norbit. He's both Norbert and resputant. Respuccha Respoocha, not resputing Rah Rah Resputin. All right, how about this one then, Michael B. Jordan versus Lindsey Lowe in The Parent Trap.
Speaker 2: Now we're talking. Now we're talking here. This is a real tough one. You got Lindsay Lohan playing American Lindsay Lohan, and you have Lindsay Lohan playing British Lindsay Lohan.
Speaker 1: That was the joke that I made earlier, by the way, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think you might go Lindsay Lohan here. She really showed her acting chops with her British accent.
Speaker 1: Is double Lindsay Lohan the greatest twin role of all time?
Speaker 2: It just might be.
Speaker 1: It just might be because also she was such an unknown that you thought there actually were two of her.
Speaker 2: I thought there was two twins, much like the Olsen twins, so just.
Speaker 1: Had their movie It Takes Two, pretty much the exact same movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought there was two Lindsay Lohans for five years until like early two thousands, when you figure out, oh, it's just her.
Speaker 1: As a part of my childhood. We'd always go to Maine every year. We still do this as a family, and we would stay in a cottage that wouldn't have any cable, but there'd be VCR so you'd spend a lot of time watching tapes. We would. I remember one year we just rotated it was It Takes Two and Grease?
Speaker 2: Is that why you hate Grease?
Speaker 1: And then we also had of vhs of things that we recorded off the television, so we watched a lot of There was an episode of Third Rock from the Sun where they snuck into the super Bowl, so on a loop it takes to Grease and the Third Rock from the Sun where they snuck into the super Bowl and Tommy was a baby.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, Wow.
Speaker 1: If I had won more, I can make a Mount Rushmore. You know what's crazy is on Facebook and I keep on these keep on popping up to me. Is so there's the ai Mount rushmorees that people are making and some people, too many people are putting five faces on a rock.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, so they're not even a war.
Speaker 1: That's very funny, but it makes me laugh every gold time. And like there's one rule to them. Ount Rushmore four faces, unless you're counting Bulk and Skull as one, which I am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll do that. I'll kay. Like, if you're gonna put two Lindsay Lohans on there, they count as one.
Speaker 1: All right, Mac, Where can the folks find us?
Speaker 2: You can find us on Twitter and on Instagram, at macin gooo podcast, every other platform we're mac ampersan goo that's Mac Shift seven Goo that includes Facebook, stitch or tuning, castworks Speaker, Google Play, Irart Radio. We're on Spotify, but more importantly we are on Apple Podcasts. Get on their rate review subscribe five stars. If you do that, we'll get your free macgo T shirt from the pokesover at Watertown Sports where that's Watertown Sports. We're on thirty four mod Auborn Street in Watertown, watertownsportswar dot com expert screenprinting and embroidery.
Speaker 1: Teapublic dot com mer check us out. Next week we'll do news dump and then is Revenge of the Sith. Oh, it's right, so I'm sorry, Revenge of the Sith on Monday, and then maybe in news dump at the end of the week. But his thunderbolts out next week.
Speaker 2: Two weeks. I thought, but maybe you're right. It's on May, isn't It is May?
Speaker 1: Next week when Thunderbolts is out, we'll talk about Thunderbolts.
Speaker 2: Give me your your your your glass half full sort of expectation for Thunderbolts.
Speaker 1: Like as a positive or a negative class.
Speaker 2: Half full is a positive.
Speaker 1: Team dynamic.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was expecting more like never mind.
Speaker 1: I thought we're back in the pyramid.
Speaker 2: It was a bad question. It was a worse answer.
Speaker 1: It's like that Ryan Coogler movie that's coming out.
Speaker 2: I meant, it's a good callback right there. I met like, if this movie is gonna be good, how is it gonna how is how is it gonna affect like the MCU.
Speaker 1: If it's gonna be good, it's gonna be on the back of this team. The team dynamic will be what makes it good, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, that's a fair answer. I think. I think of this movie is gonna be good, it's because Century is really cool and Century is gonna matter going forward.
Speaker 1: I think if it's bad, it's because Century is boring.
Speaker 2: That might be right too. Yeah, all right.
Speaker 1: So Tuesdays or Goose Days, I abuse kangaroos, Jimbarton.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 1: Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure. Now it's time for girls jumping on trampolines. Trimbopolines,