Speaker 1: It's nice size. I'm telling you crazy Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thank you, Madison appreciated on that game three.
Speaker 3: We'll be in New York on Saturday afternoon, so I will be able to watch that game like all of you.
Speaker 2: I don't have to do Nightside up. I guess that a Celtics game. Good evening.
Speaker 3: Everybody, welcome on in. My name is Dan Ray, host of Nightside, heard every Monday through Friday night here in WBZ Celtics game, Red Sox game, Brewers game whatever. I'll suggest to you sports fans are turned the audio down on the game, watch the game. You're all good sports fans, and you can listen to Nightside. You can multitask, that's no problem. My name is Dan Ray, and Rob is off again tonight, but we're delighted to have Brew Brian Butt with us again. And we will have Brian with us tonight, his second night flying the plane for us here, and everybody sit back and relax.
Speaker 2: We're going to be just fine.
Speaker 3: We will be talking tucking later on this evening, beginning at nine o'clock about the news story of the day, and that is the election of the first American pope. Pope Leo the fourteenth, formerly Cardinal Robert Privo of Chicago and also Peru, and we'll kind of work through.
Speaker 2: All of that.
Speaker 3: We have a couple of guests lined up who can talk about the process and his background. And it was stunning, is the I think it's the two hundred and sixty seventh pope in the history of the Catholic Church, first from the United States, and of course we've only been around two in and fifty years, so the first I don't know, first two thousand, the first couple one hundred, two hundred and forty really don't count, but anyway, well they do count for the church, but we did. We weren't America then, so we could not have been competing. But we have finally an American pope and those of us you don't have to be a Catholic to be happy about that. I think it's great and we'll talk about that. We'll also talk about later on tonight, perhaps Joe Biden and Joe Biden's appearance today on the View that was interesting. We have some interesting sound from that as well. But first, we have four really interesting guests in the first hour, as we always do, and we're going to start it off tonight with doctor Joshlyn Witstein, a board certified orthopedic surgeon and Associate professor of orthopedic Surgery at Duke University School of Medicine. Duke is a great school buddy of mine who played basketball there many many years ago and went on to.
Speaker 2: A great NBA career, Jack Marin.
Speaker 3: So I never went to Duke, never never been on Duke's campus, but I feel a little closeness to Duke University because of my friendship with Jack Marron. Doctor Witchstein, welcome to night Side.
Speaker 1: How are you very good?
Speaker 4: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've had some other good basketball players along the way, so yeah, they've got a few and a couple of good coaches as well. One that plays in the Celtics right now, and we'll talk about that later. May is National Arthritis Awareness Month and also National Osteoporosis Awareness and Prevention Month, And anyone who is on the wrong side of fifty, as I say, has an increased risk for arthritis in or osteoporosis. So the first question is there are a huge There has to be a huge difference between these two. But I think some people, including me, tend to use them interchangeably. Tell us if you could in quick terms the distinctions between these two conditions.
Speaker 4: Yeah, happy to I'm always you know, I think about them as being very different, of course, but if you're not a doctor or in the medical field, it's confusing. So osteoporosis is specifically a definition of thinning of the or loss of bone density. So it's you know, how dense and how strong are your bones. Osteo Arthritis is how worn down or worn out are your joints. So the wearing down of the cartilage, formation of bones, burrs and the joints, and of course our bones and our joints are connected, but these are very different processes that do happen to both affect people often over the age of fifty.
Speaker 3: So what can those of us on the wrong side of fifty, even those in the right side of fifty but approaching fifty, what can they do to ward off early onset of these conditions or even worse yet, them really causing significant problems as we all age.
Speaker 4: I think that it's easy to talk about prevention of osteoporosis. That can be sort of a lifelong preventative measure, or it could be something that you start working on even if you've already developed some osteoporosis or loss of bone density. The most important aspects of maintaining your bone density are participating in strength training programs, including resistance training like lifting weights. Participating in a little bit of jumping something that causes some impact on your bone stimulates bone density. And then while we want you to build bone density, it's also important to not fall, So it's important to work on balance and a little bit of agility. So fall prevention, combined with making your bones more dense can help you not break a bone as you get folder. It's a little bit trickier to talk about how do we prevent earthritis, because one in four adults will develop arthritis at some point. But one of the most preventive things that people can do to reduce the risk of developing arthritis is to maintain a healthy body weight, because obesity is certainly associated with earthritis and progression of earthritis.
Speaker 3: What about drinking milk. I'm a big milk drinker, and I always thought that drinking milk, even into our time on the other side of fifty, on the wrong side of fifty, helps with both of those conditions or is that perhaps something that I was told when I was young that no longer was true.
Speaker 4: So milk is an excellent source of calcium. It's very what we called bioavailable, meaning you can absorb it pretty easily. And calcium is an important nutrient to get from your diet for your bone density and your bone health. Calcium isn't particularly helpful for your joint health. One thing that we need to remember, though, is that when we're thinking of foods that nourish your bones and help you maintain bone density, calcium is just one part of the picture, and it doesn't all have to come from milk. It can also come from vegetables, for instance.
Speaker 3: Any particular vegetables across the board, because again I'm someone who listens, and if it's all vegetables, that's great, But if there's a couple.
Speaker 2: Yeah we should.
Speaker 4: Those I think the best, right, the best ones to focus on in terms of plant based sources of calcium are what we call cruciferous vegetables, things like broccoli, cauliflower, things like that. And then one that people often don't think about that is a really good source of calcium is backchoy. It has a very very available calcium content. So you can get as much calcium from one cup of cooked box toy as you can from drinking one cup of milk.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what about Okay, one of my favorite A couple of my favorite vegetables.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 3: Leafy vegetables, but I also love beets and tomatoes.
Speaker 4: Those are good for your joints, they.
Speaker 2: Are Okay, Well, that's fine cover that. I don't know why I'm.
Speaker 3: Not Russian or is my family Russian base, but I feel that somewhere in my background some one of my predecessors ancestors must have eaten a lot of borsh or something.
Speaker 2: Whatever beats are.
Speaker 3: In of diet is so so important as we get older, and and it's it's great that folks like yourself are willing to talk with us about these issues because a lot of us. You know, here's one that I love. And you're gonna laugh at me when I say this. As a kid, I used to watch Popeye the Sailor, So.
Speaker 2: I actually linach, Spinach? Is that is that a good one? Who is that over sold by Popeye the Sailor?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, I have a little bit of disappointing news for you. Spinach is really not a good source of calcium because it does have a lot of calcium in it, it just has some other things in it called oxalates that make the calcium a bit hard to absorb. So, you know, spinach is good for many things in terms of you know, you get some fiber, you get some other vitamins and minerals that are are good for you. It has some you know, antioxidants in it that are anti inflammatory. But in terms of calcium, it's actually not a good source of calcium, so that it is a little bit over sold.
Speaker 1: In that way.
Speaker 3: I'm one of the few people when they when they offer you a vegetable at a restaurant, I'll see it can't have a side of spinach, And a lot of times the waiters and waitresses look at me like, really, I.
Speaker 4: Also love spin itch, you know, saud tied with garlic or whatever, and I eat spine. It's not that I don't eat it, it's just that it shouldn't be your source of calcium. And if you're trying to utilize something else in your diet as a source of calcium, you also don't really want to pair it with the spinach because it's going to reduce the amount of calcium that you absorb.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a lot of thought that has to go into our diets if we're really going to do effectively. Doctor I really enjoyed our conversation. Go Blue Devils, Doctor jos Jocelyn Witstein, thank you so much for joining us. Many people who come on our program have books, and you have one called The Complete Bone and Joint Health Plan Help Prevent and Treat Osteoporosis and Arthritis.
Speaker 2: How can people get that book?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can find it on Amazon or on Barnes and Nobles online anywhere that you purchase your books. It's in bookstores and basically it's a guide for you to optimize your bone and joint health, including understanding anti inflammatory and bone health, diet choice, with recipes and exercises to help you optimize all those things.
Speaker 3: Well, we have a good audience, a lot of them are very much concerned about aging and being in shape throughout their entire life. So I think that probably there's a few folks who have written that down and if for those who didn't, the Complete Bone en Joint Health Plan written by the way with a colleague doctor not a doctor, or is he Sydney is a doctor Sydney.
Speaker 4: She's a registered dietician, so I'm an rithspeak surgeon and she's a registered dietician.
Speaker 3: Perfect okay. And the book The Complete Bone and Joint Health Plan help prevent and treat osteoporosis and arthritis. Thanks very much, doctor Winstein with Stein Witstein, I appreciate it very much.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 5: All right, bye, talk again.
Speaker 3: Coming back, We're going to talk with the only female sheriff in the commwalth of Massachusetts, Sheriff Donna Buckley, the sheriff of Barnstable County. She's the only female, the only mother and the only grandmother sheriff. So if you get arrested in Barnstable County, you're probably gonna get a chance to enjoy the accommodations that Sheriff Buckley provides. We'll talk with her about We're gonna highlight females and corrections and tackling safety on Cape Cod this summer. Coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: Well tonight we're highlighting and we have been highing this month. Actually, Sheriff's from around the Commonwealth. But we're highlighting females tonight in corrections and tackling safety on Cape Cod this summer. No one was better qualified for that than Sheriff Donna Buckley. She's one of fourteen county sheriffs here in Massachusetts, the only female, the only mom, the only grandmother sheriff elected in Massachusetts. Welcome Sheriff Buckley. How are you this evening?
Speaker 5: I'm great, Dan, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I think everybody knows Barnstable County is down there on the Cape, But how many communities do you represent down there?
Speaker 5: We have fifteen towns stretching all the way from woodsholl and Falmouth to Provincetown.
Speaker 3: Now you're a lawyer by education Suffolk University Law School. How did you end up as a sheriff? I mean not too many people wake up Sunday and say I want to become a sheriff. I mean is It's a great position, don't get me wrong, but it's not one that most people gravitate towards. How did you end up, and particularly as the first female, a female sheriff in the history of Barnstable County. I guess it's three hundred and thirty three years old, so it's about time.
Speaker 5: You know. It was not on my bucket list, Dan, I you know, I had an opportunity in twenty eighteen to go to work at the Sheriff's Office as general counsel, and when it came time for the election, I saw an opportunity to have a really important in conversation with the people in Barnstable County about what direction our Sheriff's Office should take. And with the prevalence of addiction and mental health challenges in our criminal justice system, I heard loud and clear from the voters in Barnstable County that they believe what will make them safer is if we provide treatment and opportunities for people to move forward with support so that they do not become a recidivism statistic.
Speaker 3: No, I think that's praise worthy, laudatory and all of that. But the other side of the coin is that you've got some you've got some tough cases down there. You've had, not necessarily during your term, but there was a police officer shot and killed a few years ago as they were trying to roast a guy out of an attic. I'm sure you're familiar with more familiar with that case than I am. But there's just some horrific crimes that seem to occur in the Cape of drug and alcohol use. Uh, the Cape is not immune from that. We've got a lot of bad stuff going on. How do you balance that? I mean, obviously you've got you've got to incarcerate people and you've got to hope you can rehability rehabilitate them. At the same time, not everybody is looking who's incarcerated, it looks wants to be necessarily rehabilitated.
Speaker 2: That's going to be a tough situation to find yourself in.
Speaker 5: You know what, You're right on, You're right on there. I mean, there are some horrific, horrific crimes on the Cape. We are not immune. In fact, sometimes it makes it more difficult for us to get the resources that we need to address the addiction and mental health, our homelessness, fuel, food and security, and transportation challenges that we have on the Cape because we are this tourist community. But as as sheriff, if we can't that one person on a path where they're not going to come back, where they're going to be able to move on and have a productive life and be a contribute to our community. That's a success. And no, not everyone is going to be rehabilitated. Not everyone is, but not everyone is the typical criminal that you know we used to think about twenty years ago. The prevalence of addiction and mental health challenges have changed the nature of who ends up in jails.
Speaker 3: How much fanadol are you seeing down the cape?
Speaker 5: Our share? We're seeing our share. You know, it's not talked about like it's talked about in urban communities, but we're seeing our share. You know, I've heard that in fact, we are sort of a prime place to sell to sell drugs because of the tourist nature of our community. So we are vigilant. Our Sheriff's Office in Barnstable County not only does our jail, but we support all fifteen local police departments through our Regional Law Enforcement Council to make sure that we can do the very best to address the drugs issue, to make sure that our community is safe.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Later on on this hour, we're going to be talking with a national leader in the recovery movement, And like you, I stand in admiration for anyone who's able to overcome an addiction. I think of my good friend, and I'm sure of someone you know very well, a mayor, former Boston mayor, Martie Walsh, you know, who beat addiction and has gone on to do great service for Boston and also for the NHL Players Association.
Speaker 2: So you have to stand in awe of those people. I just.
Speaker 3: I just want you to know on behalf of people on the Cape that they appreciate whatever you can do and whatever your office can do to help keep them and their family safe, because unfortunately, so much crime occurs even on the Cape.
Speaker 2: I read about it all the time. In a part of the state where you would.
Speaker 3: Think of only as a good time is being had by all, you know, summertime, spring fall and all of that, and even during the winter, but that crime is everywhere.
Speaker 2: So please continue the fight.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Let me you know.
Speaker 5: Sometimes, you know, we have these conversations and there are some people who sort of look at this as a soft on crime, you know when you talk about rehabilitation and treatment. But I come from it to it from a different perspective. When you think about someone who is dealing with addiction and it is committing crimes to feed that addiction, what is more unsafe. Lock that person up, do nothing with them, let them do their time, and then put them back on the streets in a worse position than when they came in. Or to try to address the root cause of why they're committing crimes, to try to address and put them on a path where they can experience the power of recovery if they so choose, give them the support. So it's not a soft on crime. People need to be held accountable. No one wants to be the victim of a crime. And making sure that we do the work while people are incarcerated. Statistics show that that is more likely to create a safer community than simply looking at this person committed a crime, lock them up, I don't want to see them again.
Speaker 3: Every person you can take off and convince them to get off the crime treadmill is a huge victory.
Speaker 2: It's a huge victory. So my hat's off to you for any of that effort.
Speaker 3: I simply am saying that that those of us who spend any time in the Cape, we want to spend it in a in a community where we can enjoy ourselves and enjoy our family safe, safely. And I was actually saying thank you for the work that you do, and thanks to the police officers who put their lives in the line every day for fellow residents and visitors to Cape call it. So please take that nothing as nothing more than a compliment for the work you do.
Speaker 5: Okay, absolutely, And actually I I I hear you. It's it's sometimes you know other people that are listening, because I hear it a lot, you know, I hear that they look sort of in this this one school or the other. And my goal in running for sheriff, primary goal is public safety.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: That's that's got to be the primary goal. And if and again there's there's a couple of ways to approach it. And I congratulate you on your job, and I congratulate you on breaking the glass ceiling, if you will, the barriers for women and law enforcement. I have a sister in law who's a former state police officer, so I stand at admirate wow one who works in the interest of public safety. Sheriff Buckley. Sheriff Donna Buckley, thanks so much for your time. I really do appreciate it. Thank you for what you do.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much. Dan.
Speaker 3: You're welcome when we come back We're going to talk about a tough subject, the Celtics Knick series with Bob Ryan and the Boston Globe. Nobody has watched more playoff games than basketball NBA playoff games than Bob Ryan. Will find out what Bob thinks about what has gone down the last couple of games here in Boston, and they're on their way to New York this weekend. Back on Night Side, right after the News at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 3: All Right, basketball fans, buckle up Game three three Saturday at MSG with us is a guy who, as far as I'm concerned, has probably watched more NBA playoff games than anyone in history. Bob, who, more than you has watched NBA NBA playoff games going back through your career.
Speaker 2: When you think.
Speaker 7: About oh, I'm sure there's some people, but I do think locally, I was thinking about this today. I may be the only one around who's still active, at least mildly active, who goes back to the sixties.
Speaker 2: But no, but the only what I'm.
Speaker 3: Saying, think about it, how many how many teams during your career have had anywhere close to the number of playoff games that the that the Celtics have played in.
Speaker 2: And I really mean that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I know the Celtics. Yeah, oh no, I go back. My first game I attended was as a student at Boston College nineteen sixty six, Game seventh, Red Hourbacks final game, and the first game I covered was the game five as a playoff Game five in nineteen seventy the Knicks and the Lakers. And by the way, today is the fifty fifth anniversary of the Knicks winning their first championship in nineteen seventy. May eight, nineteen seventy, a Friday night, they defeated the Lakers in Game seven in New York.
Speaker 2: So I do go.
Speaker 7: I was there. I covered games five and seven that year. I've got some good experience, It's true.
Speaker 3: So okay, so what are you seeing? We must not forget that the Celtics have lost two home court games by a grand total of four points, three and one. Celtics normally don't lose games that close.
Speaker 7: Well, this group has certainly earned our faith and respect, and it's not what people were expecting. This is definitely the Knicks didn't get the script apparently that they were issued in and they were in proversational theater now. But anyway, the Celtics, this is surprising, of course the people. But I think there's so there's a few things on one is this whole issue number one topic A. Are the Celtics two relentlessly dependent on the three point shot? And if so, when are they going to start having a Plan B. That's the number one topic that people are batting around with regard to this state of affairs that they find themselves in. They have taken one hundred three point shots in the last two games. It had made twenty five of them. That's a woeful percentage and it's far below their norm. So is there going to be some evening out theory now when they get to New York on the Saturday afternoon till Mozilla appears to feel that way. Yesterday morning, on the morning of Game two, I caught the end of an interview, well not the whole thing, but at the end of an interview and when he was giving an answer, and the question had to have been about this idea of what you need to go to Plan B more often, and he said, we are getting good looks and we usually make them, and he's confident that they will make them. Well that night. Last night they did not make them. And now two games in a row in which they did not make them, they weren't normal cells. Well, it's just correctible. Yes, I'll tell you what I'm more concerned about. I'm more concerned about health. I want to know what's going on with Christaps Persingis was my next question, by the way, Yeah, no, In general terms, health is the most important factor as you enter the playoffs. I would wouldn't mind playing seven road games if you told me my team is healthy and my key players are all ready to go. Well, that's not the case. Now we know that for Zingis has been ill and he's still not recovered. He said that publicly. We know that Brown has been dealing with a knee. We suspect strongly that Tatum has a risk issue that that he's been dealing with. And then you know, is not me mentioning at the present time. And we also know that Drew Holiday missed games at the end of the in the last series, and that he's not one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Either and Houses out too right.
Speaker 7: And Howser's out completely, and he said, you know he's in the mix. He's an important three point shooter. He's had a good year for them. He's he's he's matured, he's gotten, and he's he's a piece of the puzzle. So well, that's all going on, and that's why I have personally lowered my level of expectation. I can live with that. I understand that. To me. Historically, Dan, that is the number one variable in playoffs historically is health and and you've got to have it. You go back to nineteen fifty eight, so they were one of the two years that Bill Russell didn't win. You know why they didn't win that year when they were clearly the better team. He was hurt and I actually missed the game or two in that finals and was never himself. So it's it's a it's a constant. It never goes away. Look right now with the Cleveland Cavaliers, who by the way, along with the Celtics, have lost their first two games at home. What a game two against Indiana, they were missing three of their first six players. So that that's that's what. That just tells you what you need to know.
Speaker 3: Okay, So here's my here's my question going into New York. In football, we always think that the home team the home field advantage in football. Most people think of it as a six point advantage. Then you know if it's if it's a six point spread, you say, well, through pretty even teams and the home team's a six point favorite because they had the home team advantage. Home field advantage football is different than basketball. Is there a home court advantage in basketball? In your opinion?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 7: There was the times. I think there's no question there was a certain left. For example, the nineteen eighty five eighty six Celtics were forty and one at home, thirty seven of them in the Garden and three of them at Hartford US one game all year at home. Now this team is a very different beast. This team played better statistically and performing better on the road than it did at home. This team established one of the great road records in the history of the NBA, thirty three and eight on the road and the best in the franchise history. And now they're going to New York. So how much of this is going to translate into playoffs? Do you have to remember? Players for different matter, just different dynamics completely, But they have that to rely on.
Speaker 2: I guess you know how healthy are the knick spot.
Speaker 7: They are they go. They have one guy that they didn't have in the last series, Mitchell Robinson, their backup center, who's a no offensive threat except for the lob but he's a very good defender and it's a good shot blocker, and they did not have him, but they have him now. They have him now. You know, he's the terrible free throw shooter. And the Celtics played hacker Mitchell to put him on the line in the first game, and he went three for ten from the line in the second game. And that's a strategy that I think they're a little too reliant on, quite obsessed with, I think. But anyway, he's their seventh most important player, but their first six are all healthy and ready to go.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll keep our fingers crossed as to what's going to happen on Saturday afternoon. A lot of eyes from New England will be on it. This is the most win game. I don't think they can get back from a three to zero.
Speaker 7: Deficode Well, no one has ever done it in basketball. Teams have come back from three to zero to go three to three, but no one's finished job. Celtics, you know, against Miami almost they're one one of the teams that came back from three. Oh, but you know they haven't gone all the way. No, it's it's I think it's safe to say it's the closest thing to a must capital M game that that they're going to have. If they don't pull it out, it's going to be very dire. Then they would really have to make history becoming the first team in the NBA, uh to ever come back from It's been done in hockey, but it has never been done in basketball.
Speaker 2: What's your latest book?
Speaker 7: I'm working on a sequel with my friend and colleague and Bill Chuck, on our book that we did on my forty four years of score books. You know, I do score every game I go to. That's a fact. And and that's called in scoring position. Right, Yes, there's a sequel. Yeah, oh yeah, there's a baseball book I'm and and so that's what we're working on.
Speaker 2: That book is so is the latest the one that's the score book? That is? Is that book? Hope? When you talk about a sequel, obviously the.
Speaker 7: First oh yeah, came out two years ago and uh, and it's it's out there and you know, people can find it in Amazon. I'm sure, and uh, we had a lot of fun with that book. And it's it's it's it's you know, the premise very is that hidden in all all every box score and many box scores or trivial pursuit and things of interest, historical items, oddities of all sorts of kind. And and the way it works is that at the top of each chapter, each game that's done is the representation of the scorebook page from my book that that and then what that's what we're focusing on. I then write about what it's all about, what what is this? And then Bill, who's a historian and a researcher and brilliant uh fleshes out this with tidbits about the people that you might not have known or or or things that I didn't even see. And uh and he's an excellent writer, and we we we've formed a good partnership. And there's one hundred and forty games accounted for this in my book, our book in scoring position that go from the opening day of nineteen seventy seven season, the year I covered the Celtics Red Sox full time, right up to the two years ago games. And I do still seriously score every game at every level did I go to?
Speaker 3: That's great in scoring position by Bob Ryan and you and your co author again is who Bill Chuck?
Speaker 7: Mister Bill Chuck, and he's an amazing researcher.
Speaker 3: And when you have the sequel out, I would love to have you come back on and let's let's spend behind him.
Speaker 7: Be very happy to I really would.
Speaker 2: Love to do that.
Speaker 3: I know we missed the first one, but I want to make a I want to make a make.
Speaker 2: Good of this one.
Speaker 7: Okay, you got it.
Speaker 2: Thanks Bob, Talk to you soon. So long. Got back great Bob Ryan at the Boston Globe. We'll be back on night Side and we'll finish up with a.
Speaker 3: Gentleman who's a national leader in the recovery movement.
Speaker 2: This will be inspirational. Back on Nightside after this.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Ray on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: Wrap it up to Night's eight o'clock hour with Adam Vibe Dunton. He is a national leader in the recovery program. Adam, first of all, welcome to night Side and congratulations. You're an overdose survivor and founder of Recovered on Purpose and Behavioral Health Partners. Tell us about your your experience.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, thanks so much for having me welcome. Yeah, seven and a half years ago, I was homeless and a drug addict. I was one hundred and forty eight pounds kicked out of a homeless shelter, so I was super homeless. And now I'm two twenty but I work out, so it's not all tubby.
Speaker 2: But good, Where were you homeless? If I could ask, Adam, what part.
Speaker 6: Of the country Billings, Montana in the world.
Speaker 2: It's a tough place to be homeless, my man.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it was me and about nine other people that were on the streets, living in an abandoned house that didn't have electricity or running water, a trash can.
Speaker 2: What time of the year winter? Oh yeah, how did you real? Quickly?
Speaker 3: How did you end up in that state of despair? If I could ask? And then I want to talk more about your recovery. But how does someone get that down and out?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 6: On September twenty eight, two thousand and eight, I've been out drinking and partying like most nights in my freshman year of college, and I woke up to my phone ringing and vibrating down by my leg at four forty seven am. It was my best friend Chucker calling me, and I remember having the conscious choice that I could answer like I always did, like Hey, what's up, Chuck? Or I could answer the way I was feeling with a hello, am I still drunk? In state? I chose the latter, and he answered, Hey, what's up? Why are you calling me this late? I was just calling to say Hi, don't call me this late again. And I hung out fun him and he shot himself. And for nearly ten years, I was unable to share that phone call with anyone, and I was bottling it down deeper and deeper with drugs and alcohol, and that that was fueled my addiction. Before that, I was an all state football player. I was a captain of our defense at Columbine High School my senior year when we won state championship.
Speaker 2: Captain high school in Colorado.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, Wow were you there?
Speaker 2: If you would have been there after the shooting I saw, or maybe before it?
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 6: I was actually the first class that came in when the freshmen that were there had graduated, So I was the first class that no one was there.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Okay, so seven and a half years there must have been a moment in time where you said enough of this or something must have Who turned what turned your life around?
Speaker 6: You know, I had so many of those moments. And for anyone out there that's struggling and listening to this right now, I know where you're at where you have those moments where you were you are done with it, you want to stop, and you just can't. And you know, it happened so many times to me. And what what really turned the tide for me was when I stopped trying to hold onto my plans so tightly. Because I would schedule the meetings I was going to. I would schedule the Bible study and the church and and the mentors and all this stuff that were going to help me get clean, and it was so tightly in my grasp that I was unable to listen. I was unable to hear the path that was going to take me. And I had some pretty profound experiences with God. I met Jesus face to face when I was sitting at ihop having breakfast, and you know, I believe that you're able to get you know, freed and cured and healed right away. But that didn't happen for me.
Speaker 2: For me was I'm I'm you know, a I happen to be Catholic.
Speaker 3: I was thrilled today to see an American pope picked an American pict then, but I am, I mean, im perfect Catholic. Okay, I've never had what you call a face to face meeting with Jesus. I'm interested when you say that. Were you sitting there and you thought, oh, you felt you were talking to or he was talking to you?
Speaker 6: Well, I went into it was like a trance. I got this this text message on my phone and it was from my dope dealer and he offered me a free twenty. I had been cleaned for five days and I was trying so hard, and when I got that text message, I felt like something like took over my body. And I texted him back and said it was in like King James, who I was like, ye, shall not text me again. Thou hast texted me for the last time. And then when the text message finished, I was reading it and I showed it to my friend that was sitting across me. I was like, dude, I didn't write that, and then I pushed send. I put it in my pocket and I looked back up and Jesus is sitting across from me, the entire restaurant. I completely disappeared. There was a glow coming from behind him. He was smiling, and I immediately knew who it was, immediately knew what was happening. Felt with my face to the table, put my hand up and I said, thank you God, Thank you God. And I came back up. He was on and I was back in the restaurant, and I haven't used since.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 6: And these experiences actually aren't that rare. I was just talking to somebody about this yesterday. But these experiences are stigmatized a lot. These have been going on since before the Big Book, since before the twelve step program.
Speaker 2: Not going to be stigmatized by me. I want you to know, Adam, Okay, yeah, amen.
Speaker 3: So I thank you for having the courage to express that. Thank you for having the coverage to share that. How can folks either get in touch with you or get in touch with the programs that you're involved with. You have the founder that Recovered on Purpose program and the behavioral health partners. What's the best way people could reach out?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Recovered on Purpose dot org. I have a lot of free resources for people in recovery or trying to get in recovery, a fifty state resource guide if you have no insurance or are underinsured. And then Behavioral Health Partners we help people that want to open treatment centers. We're able to get your licensed, accredited, program development and then marketing as well.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: Adam Musalik an incredible individual. You've been You've been to hell and back. I pray that you stay as strong and as safe as you are, and you are doing God's work in my opinion, and I just want to say thank you, sir. I've got a lot of who have walked the same path. They have been down and out and they able to get up and get out of it. And I can't tell you how much I admire those people. And one person is a pall of mine who used to be the Mayor of Boston. He's now the head of the NHL Players Association for my boss to Mayor mort So we got there's a lot of people who have waked your path, and you are the real deal. I can figure it out pretty easily, and I just want to say thank you for for what you've experienced and how you pull yourself out of it, and anytime we can help you let us know.
Speaker 6: Okay, I really appreciate that. Anyone listening, if you're struggling, you're the next one.
Speaker 3: Great message, Adam, Vibe Gunton, Adam, thank you so much. We'll talk again. Okay, maybe I'll have you on some night for an hour and we'll take fun. I may we may well do that. Okay, thank you so.
Speaker 2: Much, Adam, congratulating so much. Good night. Okay.
Speaker 3: When we get back, we're going to talk about a big moment, those of you who were lucky enough today to see the white smoke come out of the chimney and then see an American come out onto the balcony as the first American pope. It was a moment in time. I've watched other popes emerge, but this is one that connected with me as an American and as a Catholic, but as an American. And we will be talking with some experts, but most importantly I want to talk with you. We'll be back on Night's side right after the nine o'clock news