Speaker 1: When the episode started, we were arguing about who's a better parent had I was like joking, I was like, I don't know. I like Jimmy Buffett a little bit, like I like four songs. I was like, I'm not the bigger parrot, let's be honest. And now I am like, I.
Speaker 2: Am like a pretty big fan and now it's my identity. Yeah, like, I.
Speaker 1: Guess this means a whole lot to me in ways I didn't understand.
Speaker 3: All right, well, please don't let that influence your hate rates.
Speaker 4: It's gonna need to.
Speaker 5: Sarah.
Speaker 2: I'm a pretty big so I love it.
Speaker 3: Hello everyone, and welcome back to me book Club. This week we read Where is Joe Merchant by Jimmy Buffett. Qualk squawks, squawk, squawk. That's what they do, right, that's their thing. They go squawk squawk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh wow, you have never been on a pair head cruise and it shows I don't know, I don't no, but I would have loved to have gone on one, like, yeah, a dream come true?
Speaker 3: Are you going to be our officionado on all Things Buffett?
Speaker 1: For this episode, I definitely think I'm the most parent head of the crew.
Speaker 3: Do you think you're the most parrohead.
Speaker 4: Yeah are you?
Speaker 6: You are?
Speaker 2: How many Jimmy Buffett concerts you go to?
Speaker 4: Well, I've never.
Speaker 1: You don't have to go to Jimmy Buffett concert to live the Jimmy Buffett lifestyle.
Speaker 4: That's what's so cool about JD.
Speaker 2: That is true. But I have gone, Wow, one, it was just one, but I went to one.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, how many Margheritaville's?
Speaker 2: Have you guys eaten at at least one? Together?
Speaker 1: Then I've been to two because I don't say we're going with you, but I remember going a different time.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, Us and Dan.
Speaker 4: Was this in Vegas?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we did go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we went to Margaritaville and then I went to one in Key West, the Ogs.
Speaker 4: So I think it's pretty the question.
Speaker 2: That's the question that I'm the bigger fan.
Speaker 4: All Right, we'll get into it.
Speaker 3: We'll definitely get into it. As Olie's we are your Hosts me book Club re read New York Times bestsellers that you say, should they be?
Speaker 7: I'm Sarah Burton, I'm Jonas Grabis, and I am Sabrina B.
Speaker 2: Parrothead straw.
Speaker 4: You can't give yourself a nickname.
Speaker 2: I'm sure the B is for Buffett, Sabrina Buffett.
Speaker 1: Jordan's finally revealed. Wow, for these years.
Speaker 3: Clara is not here yet. She will be joining us, but I also am good to guess she's not going to be arguing that she herself is a parrothead. I think she's gonna probably pull herself out of that competition.
Speaker 1: I think you have to like music of any kind to be in the running to be a pairent. Have we know that Clara does not sure full stop does not listen to or enjoy music?
Speaker 3: Right right, There's something. There's something going on with the brain there. But I need so, Sabrina, why are we reading where is Joe Merchant?
Speaker 2: My gosh, we are reading where is Joe Merchant? Because of Patreon Fred Jump Fred, Fred Fred, let's go.
Speaker 3: You've heard him before?
Speaker 2: Fred Fred reckon, Guy Reckon as in recommendation, not as in wreck it Ralph Anyway, Fred said hello. I initially intended to just contribute once to the reading list, but after learning to my horror that my last recommendation may have been a book that wasn't actually on the bestseller list, I decided to pay for a request for next season. Just heads up, everybody, you can pay us and we will accept your recommendation if you pay enough money. As Fred did, and I decided to pay for a requests for next season, and this time I did research, namely Wikipedia. My request for next season is where is Joe Merchant? Written by the late singer songwriter Jimmy Buffett. This time it is a novel that had that I have read cover to cover and it was baffing, bafflingly number one on the bestseller list on September twentieth of nineteen ninety two, and then again on both October fourth and eleventh of that year. If the fact that he gives us an out, if the fact that Buffett died last year makes you hesitant to cover this book, I understand, not a problem.
Speaker 3: Did not a problem, not a problem.
Speaker 2: We respect the dead, but we're willing to read the book.
Speaker 3: We're not dead heads, you know, we're prepare it heads. It's different. It's a different head. Yeah. And also, if you guys are wondering Fred Jones, what was the book he misled us on, it was The Darkly Dreaming Dexter. I love.
Speaker 4: The way this was written.
Speaker 1: I love learning to my horror, which must have happened live on the guest during listening to his horror.
Speaker 3: We also don't do research.
Speaker 1: To my horror that you do very little research for going into the books you pick.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, I mean we do do research, but it's just when we're picking books, you got to just make decisions. And I don't have time. We don't have the time. We'll never read the books that we don't just go, go, go and and anyway. So I think that's also how we got here to read this.
Speaker 1: The opposite of a Jimmy Buffett life style. We're just go, go, yeah, and we end it up here.
Speaker 3: How I would say, I feel like we're gonna all have the same story for how'd you read it? But why don't we go? Why don't we go ahead? How'd you guys read this book?
Speaker 4: Okay? A disaster for me.
Speaker 1: You know, you think a week is going to be enough time to read a book if you're looking ahead at the booklist and you're like, cool, we're doing this book in a week. Like you're like, man, I'm really good at my job. For this book, it is not enough time. Because this book does not exist anywhere. You cannot find it at the library. Okay, strike one, Fine, you know what, I'll just go on Audible. I like, I've been enjoying the Audible subscription.
Speaker 4: Uh it's not there.
Speaker 1: No, okay, fine, I'll go on Amazon. You know, I hate to do it, gross, but it's like, look, am I, but I just try to pretend it's not Uh not there either, guys. Not certainly, not in in like any reasonable length or time, and not in a digital form.
Speaker 4: So I had to go on eBay to find this book.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And that's where I finally got it in time to read.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: It was not an easy task. I like buying used books if I can. You just need more than a week's notice to do it. And let that be a lesson to every reader.
Speaker 4: You can't. You can't Jimmy Buffett around this one.
Speaker 3: Pants, Sabrina, how did you read this book?
Speaker 2: Well, despite Johonna's assertion to the contrary, you can find it at the library. They just have to pull it out of storage for you.
Speaker 1: No, what did your relationship with the library? What is your special relationship?
Speaker 3: You're sleeping with the librarian?
Speaker 2: I brooklynlibrary dot com.
Speaker 4: And there's something I've I used.
Speaker 2: I type in the title of the book, and I don't always remember to check the author, so sometimes that'll get you. But typically you just type in the title of the book and then it'll tell you the formats they've got. I will say I requested it as soon as we had our list. I requested every single.
Speaker 4: Book, tricky of you.
Speaker 2: And because this was in storage, it it took a minute to get to me, and I have unfortunately had to hold it a bit past its stud date.
Speaker 4: Uh oh, because we weren't like me, couldn't get it.
Speaker 2: Wait, well, we weren't reading it yet, and I had to wait until we read it to read it. But it's actually it's like mildly past its due date.
Speaker 3: It's not even you are you gonna have to pay money for that? For that going over the note, Wow.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not in this world somehow.
Speaker 2: No, they don't. They don't have library. There's no library fines. If you never return the book, there will be a fee on your account for the price of the book. But as soon as you return the book that goes away. That was not always the case. I do need everyone to know that I was once sent to collection over like a four dollars library. Fine, it's so my credit report to the loss hit that year.
Speaker 3: Return your books, you know, I so deserved. I like both of you. Even though Surita didn't express this, but I think she felt this way. I was just very, very upset to find that there was no digital or audio version of this book. I did notice, probably like Fred immediately, because I couldn't get it at the library here as well. So I ordered it used on Amazon and did get it with plenty of time. However, it was still just like a book with paper in it and words, and I really wanted an audiobook. I think, I'm I don't. Oh, it's really hard a book I don't want to read, and it not being an audiobook, it's it's really hard for me to open those pages. And so I just kept desperately searching the internet. I thought some I thought there would be like a Sabrina method of someone has recorded this on YouTube, because it is there was never an audio version made of it, and like nobody has the audio rights. Like I looked at it doesn't exist, and I was like, somebody somebody's will do it for me, somebody has done a weird recording. No, God damn it, there's nothing like that too, nothing to save me. No, I just had to bite the bullet and fucking read a book.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh it did hurt. It like hurt a little.
Speaker 3: Have damn it.
Speaker 2: I can't do something.
Speaker 3: I can't like put clothes away or like clean the kitchen while I'm oh, I was like, I have to sit with my body still.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, all right, so let's I guess let's get into the summary. Although before we start the summary, I do want to say this is this is mean book Club related, but I do I do think I have a pretty big revelation to share. Oh and it has to do with our bracket are which at the time that people are listening to this, it will have existed and people will have been voting on it. But do you want me to wait till the end to share this revelation or share it?
Speaker 4: Share now?
Speaker 1: I'm excited. I am dying to know the results. We've been doing some internal.
Speaker 2: Voting, so I never finished doing the worst one, did I I did the.
Speaker 3: Other one now, But what happened was I it doesn't matter. We were We have two brackets you guys are voting on for the best bad books, so books that we mean book club that we read but we're like, this is actually quite good, or we recommend like it's so stupid it's fun, you should read it. Yeah, then we also have the worst bad books or just burnable books, books that shouldn't. We have turned us into like pro you know, burn ban books type people.
Speaker 1: And just to be clear, we are so in favor of burning and banning books.
Speaker 3: Specifically these books that we Anyway, I thought the easiest way for us to like put one in each in the bracket from each season would just be for us to remember to use our brains and remember out of these eight books from the season, what was the worst one, Like, what was the book we hated? And what was the books we liked it? Yeah, And I mean, of course we have great memories. It hasn't been that long, what seven years, I don't know. Of course we remember and shockingly, as you guys might have to expect at this point, No, because I did have Blake go back and there were some tie breakers I needed, So I was like, why don't you just actually go and check what we actually voted? And he did. Oh and guys, it's not it's going to shock you. And I'm going to start. I'm going to start with one that I I The Secret, The Secret by Ronda.
Speaker 4: No, you definitely gave it up.
Speaker 3: Johnny, what do you think you gave this book? Like dicussing?
Speaker 1: H I okay, I'm starting to see the problem with the system.
Speaker 5: I think that I rated.
Speaker 1: It either really low or really high.
Speaker 3: You gave it a point five out of five.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's really low.
Speaker 3: Okay. I was point five, zero point five out of five, zero point five. I gave it a zero out of five. Clara gave it a one out of five. Yeah, Sabrina, what do you think you gave this book one hundred out of five? Sabrina? You gave The Secret by Rhanda Burn a three out of five?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 9: I am actually Lord, I had him double check.
Speaker 4: I was like, this is crazy.
Speaker 3: Do not believe this? He checked, like.
Speaker 2: My favorite book of all time?
Speaker 3: And I'm is it because.
Speaker 4: It revolves around it? Now?
Speaker 2: I really does so.
Speaker 3: I I just don't know whether we need to like relook at our system or what's going on. But I was just I was shook to my core.
Speaker 1: It like the numbering system is somehow flawed. Is full proof voting system that we use it the right episode.
Speaker 3: It may be very flat. And that was another thing that Blake was like waiting things because sometimes somebody like Sabrina would and you know, you gave Hunger Games five hundred out of five oh okay, because they don't tell me the average was one twenty nine five. And I'm like, we need to ignore what Sabrina said because that's not that's not helpful for the purposes. But yeah, yeah, we have. I was shocked at you know, things that we thought were bad. We were actually rated quite highly at the time. So you know, Okay, So is it gonna be this this bracket system. It's not an exact science. It's okay from here, but from our voters, from the people, from our listeners, it will be okay. We're trusting them to make the right decision.
Speaker 4: Here's where I put the time in Okay.
Speaker 2: With completing the bracket in time?
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: I haven't finished all of the books for season twenty.
Speaker 1: I mean you could make an educated guess you could miss playing we've read.
Speaker 3: I mean, out of eight you've you've read seven, I believe.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, you're six and a half six.
Speaker 4: Kay.
Speaker 3: I think you know how you feel you know, I think you know, I think you know.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that was what happened. I did the whole bred. I thought it would exclude this season, so I did vote the whole best ones, and then I got to this, the last one. I was like, well, I'm going to vote because I've filled out this whole bracket so far, but I don't know what to pick for season twenty. I felt very conflicted, like I'd be lying in my vote.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, that's that's interesting.
Speaker 1: That's my works so different than mine. I think, how fast can I do right?
Speaker 3: Right? Because I don't remember apparently, But all right, so that was a relation I had for you. But we got to get back to Buffett. Sabrina, can you give us? Can you sum it up for us?
Speaker 2: I can, and.
Speaker 3: She takes a big old I'm gonna assume, Sabrina, you're gonna have to do this.
Speaker 2: I am going to have to do it, and okay, great, great, great, But.
Speaker 7: I mean I don't do it because I'm feel free to vibe along.
Speaker 1: You know that doesn't work over zoom. I just know that I could sing every line of this and it wouldn't be a problem.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm still gonna do it, but I hear you.
Speaker 6: I just needed to feel her, like he said the music. You know what to do, you know what to do?
Speaker 2: Blake Do do Do Do Do Do Do Do do Blake.
Speaker 4: We just said Blake ad the leusic.
Speaker 2: No, but that's part of it. It's part of the vibe. All right. He can cut out me. Do do do it, but I gotta get in there.
Speaker 8: Do do Do Do Do Do doo.
Speaker 2: Frank Bama's a pilot. Trevor Caine was his girlfriend.
Speaker 8: And there's a psychic lady Desdemona.
Speaker 10: Frank Bama's looking at the request of his girlfriend. So's Desdemona? That psychic lady?
Speaker 8: Okay, Wasting away the Caribbean.
Speaker 11: Searching for Joe Murchant. Some people claim and he died by Sue was side.
Speaker 5: But I know boom boom.
Speaker 2: Boom, that he could be alive.
Speaker 12: I don't know the reason. Frank got hijacked this season by a guy with some islid tattoos.
Speaker 13: Trevor's Acutie got kidnapped. Opoody, how Frank founder I have in a clue.
Speaker 8: Wasting away in the Caribbean.
Speaker 11: Searching for Joe Merchant. There are lots of other caretors.
Speaker 8: And an oh.
Speaker 2: They're all a little nuts.
Speaker 3: Wow. Well, I I do appreciate that it was a song. What what? What? When did? Why did you? When did you decide that, like I'm going to make this rhyme versus verse, Like when you were like, oh, I don't need this to rhyme, and then you but then you were like, cutie, no, I have to say, oh, pooty, because something needs to rhyme, cutie, Like, how did you determine when you were rhyming versus not?
Speaker 2: Well, the song has rhyming versus not.
Speaker 4: So okay.
Speaker 2: For example, I didn't exactly follow that either.
Speaker 1: Like sponge Cake watching the Sun bake your Yeah, your Frank Bama is a pilot, Trevor Kane was his girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Don't rhyme? I would say that doesn't Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm just like, what was your process there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? My process was that I'm an artist who can't be constrained by your shackles, and that's how I chose to do it.
Speaker 1: It's very I think you could have like even a slant rhyme could have worked there, Like forre Bama is a pilot, Traffic was a side chick yeah, that would have been that WOU would be pretty good.
Speaker 2: She wasn't a side chick, I mean, was his girlfriend?
Speaker 3: All right, That's.
Speaker 4: That's why I said, was his side chick? You know what?
Speaker 3: You know what, let's go. Thank you, Sabrina, Thank you for really appreciate that.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it, and I like it.
Speaker 4: Actually, I like it a lot.
Speaker 3: I just wonder, you know what. It was fun, great, and I'm sure with the music it's it's gonna it takes it. It's gonna take it over the top. I think one thought.
Speaker 1: I guess one question. What is the ocean that this happened in?
Speaker 2: No one knows?
Speaker 1: Okay, what is How do you pronounce the top of the first line wasting away in the Caribbean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Caribbean is probably.
Speaker 3: Does it matter.
Speaker 2: I feel like you could say to Caribbean. It didn't fit in the cadence of the song.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay.
Speaker 1: I just needed to know if you are someone that said Caribbean, I just need to know that's all.
Speaker 6: In a way.
Speaker 2: What is the I guess I could have. I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't have a problem when people say Caribbean. I don't know what does that say about me. What is that? Two says caribbean versus Caribbean. Now I need to know I say both.
Speaker 2: I think I might too, I might, I might pirates of the what caribbean?
Speaker 3: Caribbean is more aligned with the words indigenous roots? Caribbean. Caribbean is common in American English.
Speaker 2: Oh see, it's common.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, Caribbean is not a compliment indigenous.
Speaker 1: Someone like me, uppercress, we say caribbean, all right. All the times I've visited, we always said Caribbean. But like whatever, what do I know?
Speaker 3: Well, maybe talk to some indigenous roots.
Speaker 2: Okay, guys, this is the opposite of your stance on Hawaii. By the way, it is.
Speaker 1: I know, I know it's the opposite. We both took and it was. It wasn't specifically Hawaii. It was the island of Kawai, Hawaii. We all now know it's Kawai. Anyway, let's get back to the book. I don't think we want to talk about this book.
Speaker 3: We are trying not to talk about this book. Uh is do we have a Jonas joke? Oh? Yes, I feel like this one should be pretty easy. But I'll let you go.
Speaker 4: Do we want to Okay?
Speaker 1: On three, let's all say what we think the pairing is for today? Oh three two one, Okay.
Speaker 3: That's not what you're holding up. I have to say, Sabrine, you're holding up surf Side TI and vodka. I just wrote an ad for them.
Speaker 4: Oh really, Yeah, people love Surf Side.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wasn't going to drink it now this felt like I had to. But although I agree that Margherita is a better Jimmy Buffett fit, but it's just the vibes and I had I had.
Speaker 3: A can of margarita, but I did pour myself wine. But the margarita is.
Speaker 1: I want to just you know, since it's John is jugs, I want to add a little to this personally, if you're okay with a smoky taste, and not everybody is, and everybody likes a smoky infusion I love. Instead of a margarita, I love a mez cal RITA mez cow is like a slightly smoky or tequila. I think it adds just a nice depth of flavor. If you if you like whiskey but you don't like scotch, you're not gonna probably not gonna like a mes cow. I love it, And yes, you can get a margarita mix in the store, but I think it is easier and the best tasting to All you need to do is pour yourself some mezcal or some tequila, add lime and some agave, honey or sugar, preferably if you can do like the sugar water so you don't have the greeny at the bottom.
Speaker 4: That's all you need, simple syrup.
Speaker 1: I'm losing my mind. Okay, you're lucky. I got.
Speaker 2: If I can counter with my margarita recipe, yes, go ahead, which is tried and true. Is two parts tequila, one part quantro, one part fresh squeezed lime juice. So if you're making a batch, think two cups tequila, one cup quantro, one cup fresh squeezed lime juice. You could give it a little squeeze, one little squeeze of what's not blood oranges, grapefruit, little little squeeze of fresh grape juice, no sugar needed. I will say, no, it's really it's so delicious. The only thing I would advise is that it's so alcoholic, and so I've started to cut its three halfs worth of yeah, half seltzer water, and honestly, that's still more alcoholic than what you're gonna buy now.
Speaker 3: Listeners, this is a margarita off. Please make both margaritas on vote. Let us know.
Speaker 1: I love that they and they were remember but they were both presented really professionally. They both sound they both had all the information you needed.
Speaker 10: There.
Speaker 2: If they're right, up the sugar plus water so it's not grainy at the bottom.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: I actually prefer honey because I just always have honey. I don't need to make simple syrup. And especially if you're doing mezcal, the honey mix is just fine with it, okay, And it's all to taste. It's all to taste. So my recipe keeps it lose it, trusts you. My recipe is like, hey, you're not in a chemistry lab, all right, you're trying to have margarita. Don't stress about it. Put it into taste. Mix it up. Put a big old ice cube in there if you want. Okay, yeah, you can do crushed ice if you if you're really wanting to have fun, oh, don't forget to do the room.
Speaker 3: Really, this is these recipes are now taking way too long. Guys.
Speaker 2: Call this cherry cheese cake murder.
Speaker 1: If you want to rim your glass, you need to know, Johnna, don't tell them how to ring the glass.
Speaker 4: You need to have the glass be crystal clean.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Fine, if you don't want to know how to rem aglass, I'm not going to tell you, but there's a tactic to it.
Speaker 4: So whatever, be ignorant, All right, john right?
Speaker 3: I next, All right, guys, Sabrina, can you give us some background on this little number this book?
Speaker 2: Yes, and I was very selective with my my Jimmy Buffett author background history. Obviously, there's so much to Jimmy Buffett, but we're just going to do some of the hits. James William Buffett was born on Christmas of nineteen forty six.
Speaker 3: And fun, I know, and then.
Speaker 2: Which is so fitting because he brought so much joy to the world. Yes, and he very sadly passed away two years ago September first of twenty twenty three. He had been born in Mississippi, but he spent most of his childhood in Alabama. He had discovered that he wanted to be a musician at the age of fifteen. He ended up failing out of college at first, but he went back and he did go to college. But then after college he moved to New Orleans and started doing treat performances on Decatur Street and Bourbon Street, and then he moved to Nashville and his music career just like completely flourished. His music combined country rock, folk, calypso, and pop music, which I think is very interesting. I feel like the book, although it's not a music, it's not a piece of music, I feel like it combines those vibes as well. And he you know, the like cover of his book and everything you ever seen about him is just He was a storyteller through and through. In addition to being a beloved singer and songwriter, he was also quite the businessman, as we've already discussed his Margaritaville empire, and which includes not just restaurants, but like the blender for Margarita's, the Margarita maker, all of these like lifestyle items. His estate was well off when he passed. He released over thirty Yeah, he released over thirty albums. He has two Grammy noms. Upset to know that he never won a Grammy, and posthumously, he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the Musical Excellence category.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 2: He liked the main character in this book, was a licensed pilot and often flew his own seaplane. He had a cameo in the movie Jurassic World.
Speaker 3: Random he created.
Speaker 2: A whole community of fans known as parrot heads. And he was an environmentalist, and he wrote multiple books which I actually had not known. So even though I'm claiming top parentead status, this is something I did not know.
Speaker 3: But of course you've Johanna, you've gotten this. You've gotten the children's books, right, I see he's got some children's books. I'm sure certainly have gotten those for your daughter as a parent head.
Speaker 1: I'll reserve my right to answer that question. But I do have a question for Sabrina when, Sabrina, when did you find out that he had written these other books? Like at what point or like want to say a time or date the other books?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I knew for sure about Tales from Margaritaville when I received this book that has a big sticker on the copy from the same author of Tales from Margaritaville, and then I had looked it up. Then okay, but the full list I had looked up the Wikipedia, which which does not include the Wikipedia, says three books. But he's written more than that. So if you go to Jimmy Buffett's website, there's a whole section.
Speaker 3: On he's written three novels. Maybe that's where it came in. I think he's written children's books. He's written some like biographies. Tales from Margaritaville is like a collection of short stories. I believe where Joe Merchant was his first which came out in Novel Too was his first novel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so all right.
Speaker 1: It sounds like we found out about the same time that he's written a couple of books. I tried to see if I had beaten you by a couple of days.
Speaker 3: When did you date?
Speaker 2: I've I've had this book for about a month.
Speaker 1: Okay, I found out about a week ago when I started deerately looking for we have all whatever slame category to win.
Speaker 4: Why did we even bring it up? Next?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: It is worth mentioning another book title that we didn't read. But it's called Swine, not a novel, pigtail.
Speaker 3: It's fun one fun, it's so good.
Speaker 2: And then oh sorry.
Speaker 3: I just want to say this book. I watched like an interview from this book about this book, which was very old and there's not that much on the Internet about it, but like, no, he's very chill about He said it took him like three years to write it. It was really hard. Like he's always wanted to be a writer, he said, like his editor was like, oh, you're not a trained writer, and you can tell and that's why I like it or something. He's also friends with Hunter S. Thompson. I think you can kind of get that vibe from this book. Yeah, And also in that interview, he said, they asked what your next project is that he said he wanted to do a Broadway show and I didn't realize, but they did do a Broadway show and like the mid twenty tens. Yeah, it wasn't successful, but he did do it. So Jesus Christ that man.
Speaker 1: I know, yeah, for all of the kind of energy he puts out in his songs and his whole vibe, and I think a lot of that seems to be true. That that was like his mindset was like enjoy life and and like he was a big He really did live in Key West and have like that mentality. It also seems like he was a gigantic hustler in the positive sense.
Speaker 2: Of the word, and like, yeah, really.
Speaker 1: Sharp mind for business and like sort of just there are just those people that when they say they're going to do something, they do it, and even if the dream seems seems unattainable, they like they say they're going to do it, and incrementally they get there. And it seems like he was one of those people, and that's kind of cool, especially paired with the person he presented in songs, the way he made us parrot heads feel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I should say also reparrot heads, we've got Claire coming on the Ultimate parrot Head. No. I I just want to put it out there from my person. I don't know anything about it. I feel like you maybe got that from me. I don't know anything about parrot hoods. I know the song Margaritaville, I don't know any of his other songs. And I don't get it. I don't get him. You don't get his soul, and I don't get the community. I don't understand.
Speaker 4: I would like unity.
Speaker 9: I'm insulted, and I just want to just give that outsider perspective of I don't Perhaps there were things in this book that really hit, you know, tickled those you know parrot heead spots, those itches and I just didn't know what the fuck was going on.
Speaker 3: And I think that happened a little bit with me. Clara, Hello, we are still we are still talking about we are just getting through the book background. That's where you were joining us.
Speaker 14: So did miss so I didn't miss so much?
Speaker 3: I guess, yeah. Do you want to keep going, Sabri? Sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah. So this book was published in nineteen ninety two, and as we discussed, it was never turned into an audio book. I think also maybe not even turned into an ebook, to be honest. No, it was a number one New York Times bestseller and it was on the Bestseller Fiction list for more than seven months. It the genre is part adventure, part magical realism. It has a breezy, buoyant tone, get it, get it, get it, but it's kind of whimsical, like buffet songs, which is funny.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Obviously, two different readers, Sarah and I could have a different take on what that that means. And it is written. It's written in a meandering style, which some readers find chaotic. And something else I think is interesting about the book is some parts of it are written in the first person, and other parts of it are written in the third person, like when we're with the main character, we're in first person, but we do get to see what's going on with all the other characters even when we're not in first person, and you know, I just I haven't seen something like that before.
Speaker 3: It was it was certainly confusing to me.
Speaker 1: There's where that editor jumped in and said, you know, I can tell you're not a writer.
Speaker 4: And that's the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this book had like, uh, you know, there are definitely there are things that are good. We're good about this book, but like the plot was confusing as fucked not one.
Speaker 4: Of the ones I didn't understand.
Speaker 3: I just kept I wrote a lot of because I was reading a book. Literally, I have a lot of notes that are like, what's going on? Is this funny? What's happening? Who is this? Did we meet them before? I have that written?
Speaker 2: Like a lot of there are a lot of characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, another professional writer might teared down.
Speaker 4: You know, weed out pear down a bit.
Speaker 3: Desdemona though I did read this in one of the like reviews that that is she's based on an actual song that I'm sure you buffet heeads.
Speaker 2: Are Deemona's building a rocket chip is a Jimmy Buffett song, and he also mentions Demona and other songs.
Speaker 3: Okay, so there's also why he had to do that. Is that why?
Speaker 2: I don't think he had to. I think he wanted to just a little bit of a retort about the character list. Look, there were lot of characters. You know what else had a lot of characters, Warren Peace, Great retort.
Speaker 14: Great retort. Do you think the songwriter wants to also write books?
Speaker 2: No, I think I think there's a lot of overlap.
Speaker 3: Well, Dolly Potters, Yeah.
Speaker 14: At least and when you want to because you're you know, you have to create a character sometimes for a song. I think you do a good job, you should want to write a book about it.
Speaker 3: He apparently majored in like journalism, and I think he like wanted to be like a writer is something I think he had always like fantasized about the fact of mind or that's his minder at least that's like the kind that's what he says. I don't know if that's if. I don't know if that's a little bs for when he was doing his book tour.
Speaker 4: But no, that seems real.
Speaker 1: I mean his songs are they do tell stories, and they're like a lot of them are like funny and whimsical and like center around like a main character that's kind of tangentially just to Buffet. I was a sea captain, you know. But I feel like that's all this book was. It was just like, I guess it's what I liked about this book. It just was like a nice trip to Margaritaville. It's just like you.
Speaker 3: You have to want to go to Margaritaville. I guess it's a place, all right.
Speaker 4: I had a great time there very recently.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the car. I went to Margarita Ville, Vegas. I thought the food was so so. I didn't probably lower than so, lower than so.
Speaker 4: Lower than so.
Speaker 15: It was just one kind of big market again, wouldn't go again even that that great, wouldn't say it was fresh squeeze juice, say that, would guess it was not.
Speaker 1: I think I had beers and I did karaoke, But it was, you know, a plus.
Speaker 4: The vibes were great.
Speaker 3: But it was they did have a whole thing going on where they would play him on the big screen and stuff. Anyway, the characters, let's go through those little bitches. Frank Bama, who was weird we've been talking about is the main the central character. He is probably the Jimmy Buffett, based off Jimmy Buffett. He is a plane. He the seaplane.
Speaker 2: Yes, so the Internet. I don't know if this is right, but the Internet thought maybe it was based off Jim Morrison, and I think perhaps right. I thought that Joe Merchant.
Speaker 14: Never mind, yeah he thought rock Star. Now I have eaten.
Speaker 1: Jimmy Buffett also has a song called Bama Breeze Bamare.
Speaker 3: Okay a bar so. I would have really if I was a parrohead, I would have really loved to see the name. Frank bamb would have immediately okay, okay, screaming immediately, Okay, all right, good to know, Good to know. Trevor ca is that in a something from something.
Speaker 14: I've never seen Trevor as a woman's name.
Speaker 3: Before, I know, but I liked it. He was having fun with names. I could tell that he was having a lot of fun with names.
Speaker 8: Bus Me.
Speaker 3: I did think it was a gay man. I did think he was a gay man, and I thought that was like, but no, it was just a hot woman. But she's an heiress to a hemorrhoid ointment empire, which again I was like, he really I just imagined him thinking writing then being like ha ha, this is gonna get him. This is gonna They're gonna love this capitalism.
Speaker 6: Am I right?
Speaker 3: That's what I have, That's what I feel like. It was.
Speaker 1: My real is the heir to the family that designed the underwires and bras, and I've always appreciated that fact.
Speaker 3: That's interesting because it's like, wow, I don't like them.
Speaker 4: No, I don't like him, and I don't like his family.
Speaker 1: I love, but it is definitely the most the most challenging part of a bra.
Speaker 5: Is the wire.
Speaker 1: It's always been funny to me. It's such a specific thing to be Maybe.
Speaker 14: They could keep Maybe he should suggest as family continue to innovate, it's like, that's the wire is a great first step. Why don't we keep going.
Speaker 1: Soft, like just like a Jim sock material instead of a.
Speaker 14: Wire, fresh clean, fresh.
Speaker 4: Fresh clean, never been worn, it's never been swep silk. Perhaps silk might be too hot. You don't want to breathable silk.
Speaker 14: You're breathable silk ribbon.
Speaker 3: That sounds nice, That sounds nice.
Speaker 2: Supporting, supportive, breatheable, cook it on your neck.
Speaker 3: Then we have Joe Merchant of the name where is Joe Merchant?
Speaker 14: She's moving on.
Speaker 3: Sorry, sorry if you guys want to keep riffing on the ribbon Joe Merchant, who again is like, you're kind of like, why is this the name of the book for most of the book, and then even when it's revealed the twisters revealing, you're still like, why is this the name of the book? Okay? Colonel Cairo, who was the main bad guy of this book, I would say he was apparently some I don't know, a pirate of sorts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was difficult if I could offer criticism. It was difficult to follow what people were and why they mattered and what they did and the like you know, Joe or sorry, Frank Bama and Trevor Kane, they.
Speaker 3: Were liked I understood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, they were reasonably human beings that you may have interacted with in your life, whereas like Colonel Cairo was not.
Speaker 3: It was it.
Speaker 2: Was like it was like they were characters and then some of them were caricatures, but they were all living in the same world, which was bad.
Speaker 3: And Colonel Carr, he was just like a very arch bad guy. He apparently had been in Africa and tried to make himself like a king or something, and he had lost an arm, and so he was looking for a scepter that would help him get his arm back. So this is where the book takes some turns, and I have to say, I'm not like against all of those turns, you know, like I love like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, you know, by Douglas Adams, Like I you know, I'm not. But it just felt like such an odd mishmash. I couldn't I couldn't get into it. It felt it was just it was too didn't feel right where it was. It felt like all this alien stuff felt really weird.
Speaker 4: It an album instead of a book.
Speaker 1: It was like all these things fit, you know, in one evening of listening perhaps, But like, you know, it.
Speaker 3: Wasn't a good concept album. That's an album. It's not a you know what I mean, Like it's the songs were a little different. I guess they're on the same album, but like why, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm also personally a plot based person over characters.
Speaker 14: This is the first time I realized that songs on an album are supposed to go together? God, just it's not just the songs that he had ready ridiculous. I really did not. They go together in some.
Speaker 3: Way another, some more than others.
Speaker 1: If anyone wants to hop onto Patreon or or shoot us an email of like, hey, here's a starter album for someone that's never heard music before.
Speaker 3: Should we should definitely do some bonus Patreon episodes where we just have Clara listens to and then an album and then we talk about it. It will be so fun. Sometimes they're like the hey, okay, modern albums are like thirty minutes Clara, it's gonna be.
Speaker 4: It'd be so unique.
Speaker 1: Though, it's like you're an adult that somehow like has never tried ketch up before or vegetables.
Speaker 14: Yeah, you're like, that's like vegetables.
Speaker 4: No, it's fun because it's like.
Speaker 1: Life, and it's like to watch an adult be like what is the for the first time?
Speaker 14: And it's why that also implies like you don't prioritize health and your baby ish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you don't prioritize culture. Joy, I guess that's fine.
Speaker 14: Like TV. I love TV, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, well you might love listeners.
Speaker 14: I don't listen to music, a very normal thing about me? They know, Okay, I don't.
Speaker 2: We actually already mentioned it to that.
Speaker 14: Oh okay, I don't need to explain it. But did you preface it with a very normal thing about me?
Speaker 3: But this is definitely we got it. Don't worry. I know everyone wants to hear more of Clara's hot takes on music, and we will do this. This will be a for sure.
Speaker 14: Okay, I'll listen to a couple of songs, but I'm not doing a whole.
Speaker 3: All right, all right, all right? Uh where were you? John? What were you talking about? You're making some point about the plot or something like that doesn't make I.
Speaker 4: Know, it's a crazy take.
Speaker 3: I so that every character wanted something, I guess. But like Desdemona was building her rocket ship, she talked to alien She got like naked and got into some water and then would in an inner tube, floated an inner tube, and then she would talk to aliens. And this was actually happening. It wasn't that she was crazy. Was actually happening. And she was from that building a rocket ship called the Cosmic Muffin. And she also had a scepter for some reason, and that was and kind of why all this bad crazy planes, people shooting guns, blah blah blah. That all happens around getting the scepter, I guess.
Speaker 2: And she was a former backup singer for Joe Merchant and had been married to one of his right.
Speaker 3: I forgot so much to her character, so much it's almost hard to remember it's the same person, right, because how did that inform?
Speaker 2: It was interesting. I felt like they had She was introduced early in the book, and she was given that backstory, and I was like, oh, okay, we're trying to connect her, like make it make sense why she's looking for Joe Merchant. And then a lot of the other characters. It's like, okay, a journalist, sure, okay, a long lost cousin okay. Then it was like an overlord, and then a jet ski bomber and.
Speaker 3: Just a lot of people Blanton Myer Chord, right, and other He's having fun with names. He's having fun with Blanton Myer Chord. That was the jet was that, that was the jet ski guy, right. He he hated jet skis. He used to he this. I mean that it was kind of like a funny little story. It just felt very unconnected. It was very unconnected everything else where. He was someone who would take tourist fishing, and he really, you know, respected the environment and the fish and and would always return the fish that they caught back to the ocean. And then a jet ski killed a fish, and he was like, fuck these jet skis, and then he like he not only beat up some people and went to jail. Then he got out and then again blew up more jet skis, and then I thought he killed someone. This I can't even I'm I'm tired. I'm already I didn't even explain it all. And I'm tired. I'm tired explaining because it's wacky in a way that it doesn't.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it supposed to be funny. I don't think maybe it's supposed to be funny.
Speaker 1: I think the heir to the hemorrhoid fortune is like just an embodiment of the kind of humor you could expect. Or it's like, I suppose that's a funny collection of words you put together, Like yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Like I think it came back, it came into play more. I would appreciate it. And you know, actually, now that I'm saying that, I can't give a few compliments. I think I put it in my notes, Sarah, I will I'm gonna pull it. I'm gonna it was tough. It's gonna be tough for me. But I wrote down I did notice that at the very end, when they're talking about the journalist, what was his character's name, Rudy. The novel opens with I was watching the Cubs game and eating a fried trimp platter at Bobba Loos when Rudy Brenno burst through the door, like Geraldo Rivera on a drug raid. Okay. And then at the end Rudy Brenno is with like Geraldo Rivera and in Alaska likes he kind of I don't know. I was like, oh, you kind of set that up.
Speaker 14: This is a compliment.
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like that was on purpose, that he was like, did this and then brought it back.
Speaker 2: That's a confusion.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry to confuse.
Speaker 4: Maybe Jimmy said Giraldo and that was no, Oh.
Speaker 3: No, it was it was all me and.
Speaker 14: And I said it too, but I said it because there, Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's all right. I was wrong. Everyone can point and laugh at me. I live. I deserve it.
Speaker 14: Let her take away our power by saying she.
Speaker 4: Deserves all right.
Speaker 3: But anyway, I just was like, oh, he brought that imagery back at the very end, and I was that was that was it. That was the compliment.
Speaker 2: I good compliment in the beginning, and then later at the yeah, yeah another thing. I mean, look, I don't know that I'm the exact target audience for this book, so if you're not, yeah, but I do think that there are a lot of things that were written for the male gaze. And here's a y s certainly not an example. The start of chapter twenty three is Thorn Marshall. Don't have any idea who that character is. Thorn Marshall was not already out. Three naked hookers were huddled together in a small bunk like sleeping puppies, like, and then it goes on to talk about all you like thought about having sex with them, and there were just like so many random things where it was like this guy was horny as hell. They always got horny on power, and then there'd be in the beginning there was a conversation where he's like, I think my dick is hard, and then the other guy's like, I know what mine is. It's just I don't know, it's just not written for me and therefore not cool.
Speaker 3: There's also a moment at the end which I don't think I'm giving anything away to say this, but where Trevor Caine they're on like a boat of some sort, and she gets naked and gets takes her top off and gets on the front like I guess, like a siren of some sort, like you know what's traditionally on the front of like a pirate ship. That kind of me and she and her doing that makes the wind stop blowing, and that's just something that happens. And I thought, okay, all right.
Speaker 14: Yeah, what are the rules of the world? You have to establish that for other books.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like part of the problem is, like maybe it's just true of any gigantic rock stars, like your own world becomes so warped at a certain point, like the rules of the world don't make sense to people like us, but maybe in Jimmy Buffett's world they make perfect sense. And like to other rock stars reading this, it's just like, yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Just a book for other rock stars. They didn't They're okay, they're not enough rock stars in the world to get this on the number one Best seller list. Something else happened.
Speaker 4: That's true, that's true.
Speaker 2: I mean what happened was this like if Taylor Swift wrote a book right now, which, by the way, it would deserve to be number one. See she's engaged.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is such old news by the time this comes out. Yeah, but it's not old news today, so to us it feels special. Okay.
Speaker 2: And do you think it's a coincidence that she announced her engagement on my wedding anniversary? Because I don't think it is.
Speaker 3: Now it was for you, Sabrina was.
Speaker 1: On the anniversary of the day I officiated Sabrina's wedding.
Speaker 3: You're also important. Can we give away? Can I give away the twist? I don't know why. I am trying to protect this twist.
Speaker 4: Yeah, give So.
Speaker 3: There's another character we're introduced to earlier on called Charlie Fabian. He is works for Colonel Cairo. He's got tattoos on his eyelids. I don't know. He's like mad at the colonel. He's bosson around, but he's we're kind of in his head, but he's not like first person, so he's just killing people. I don't I don't even know what what does he do. I can't even tell you what he does other than he's like a henchman. Yeah. The big twist is that Charlie is Joe Merchant, crazy not dead, and that is discovered because he plays music at a bar that they're all so how that's realized.
Speaker 2: So we're first introduced to this character when he hijacks Frank Bama's plane, right, and that's a fun little scene. Frank is kind of unfazed by being hijacked. He's just like, huh, I guess I'm hijacked now, yeah for you, Yeah, it really is. And then a whole thing happens where he and Trevor separated. She gets kidnapped, she gets told basically to like walk the plank by her cousin. Who oh. By the way, she thought her mom had killed herself and that was really upsetting because of course her brother was believed to have died by suicide. But really it's this evil cousin, Hackney Primstone, and he wanted to be He wanted to be the heir to the hemorrhoid ointment fame. Anyway, Trevor and Frank get back together because Frank happens to be flying over the ocean that Trevor is stranded in, and a favorite part of the book is she is like an environmentalist, but then she is saved by floating trash bags, which is funny.
Speaker 3: I couldn't understand how that happened when it was described, but I you know, that's fun.
Speaker 2: It is fun. It was like blown up with air. I'm done realistic, but I'll take it, and yeah, pollution. And then they are at a concert and the Charlie is in this band and he's playing and he closes his eyes and he has those tattoos. But also Trevor recognizes. She's like, that's my brother.
Speaker 3: Oh my first time those two characters see each other. Because if those two characters had seen each other earlier, he would have the book wouldn't have had it would have been done because she would have been like, oh that that guy who's saying he's Charlie is my brother.
Speaker 6: Wouild it?
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe it explained it and I missed it. How did Frank not recognize him?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know. No, I don't know. He's a famous person. I don't understand. I don't understand anything about this twist. Like I don't under and I'm I asking, honest, if somebody can explain it to me, I'd really appreciate it. Basically, from what I understand, the background on this character Joe Merchant is, you know, his parents. You know, he's got a sister, Trevor. His parents wanted him to do the navy and stuff and put him in like I don't know, army school or something, and he hated it, and he eventually like bucked that and became a rock star. But then he became disillusions somehow, don't know how this happened, and he got he decided he wanted to be a pirate. But like I was confused because it was like, oh, apparently this guy hates authority. Like it's felt like they said when they gave the background of Joe Merchant, that was like part of his deal. And then it's like but then he started working for some other kernel guy, Like I was like, wait, it just seems like that doesn't make any sense. But also like he would just be he would choose a job where he like becomes some sort of super soldier turned into a super soldier who changes his name, Like I don't understan I don't understand. I mean, this was maybe in the book. I don't understand why or when it happened. And then didn't want to tell anyone. I didn't want to tell sister he was still alive. I don't I don't know why. And then but then some reason was like I don't want to do work for Colonel Chiro anymore, but I still don't want to see Trevor.
Speaker 4: I don't is everyone following?
Speaker 3: Was everyone following? I don't understand. Can someone explain?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 14: Why why didn't he ever?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 14: Why didn't he want to see Trevor?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what motivates Joe Merchant.
Speaker 3: I don't understand.
Speaker 4: I don't know enough about Joe to understand his internal be called.
Speaker 2: Why why why Merchant?
Speaker 3: Why did he become another human? Like why did he take on? Like I was like, does he have split personality? Something happening? No, No, nothing was explained. It didn't ever make sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he like it was in the story where he remembered that he was Joe Merchant, like he didn't know that information. Then he was on a plane and then one of his songs was playing, and then he's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he says that he's like I'm gonna shoot the oh, I'm going to shoot the radio that has played my song, or that he didn't say that, but like in retrospect, I'm like, did he know? And he was like, fucking I hate my old music. Is that like a joke about like hating hearing your own songs? Or was he not really know who that was?
Speaker 4: I was?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I just have a feeling that Jimmy Buffett does not hate hearing his own songs, and that might be based in part on these series of Margaritaville's that he built that play only his music all over the country, but even beyond that, I just like feel like that's just not a man that's ever bummed to hear cheeseburger in Paradise.
Speaker 2: Cheeseburger, This feels like a club.
Speaker 14: I'm not included in prod head business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree, I Clara, I don't don't get it.
Speaker 14: I don't understand what the hell is cheeseburger in Paradise. What are we talking about?
Speaker 16: It's I I know that I don't know talking about.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's actually pretty self explained.
Speaker 3: It's he's really just talking about food.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just talking about loving how sometimes you just really want a cheeseburger.
Speaker 14: Yeah, he's already in Paradise. And then that's what they are.
Speaker 1: Well, he's saying he was on a diet, was he was losing weight, he was he was eating some about that, and then you know, all of a sudden, he just needed a cheeseburger and the new Paradise has cheeseburgers. Back in the day, you know, a sea captain wouldn't be able to get a cheeseburger.
Speaker 4: Not in Paradise. You're stuck with whatever gruel they serve.
Speaker 2: You know, find the two best things.
Speaker 5: Yea.
Speaker 3: You know what I like Margaritaville. I'll say it. I like that song.
Speaker 6: I like.
Speaker 3: I think it's clever, clever, the writing, it's fun how it's at the end, it's like, oh, two people were writing you know what do you call them ads to find people? And then they ended up finding each other and they were already together.
Speaker 2: It was that's that's a Rupert Holmes song.
Speaker 3: Am I getting I'm getting songs confused?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah you are. Margaritaville is uh.
Speaker 1: Some people claim that there's a woman to blame, but I know it's my own damn fault.
Speaker 2: You're thinking of the pinaka.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 4: If you like Pina coladas, if you like.
Speaker 3: That song is a good song, I'm a Rupert Holmes head. I'll tell you that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of people think that that's a Jimmy Buffetts.
Speaker 3: You know that. You know that we say that.
Speaker 2: People think that it's marketing.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe I I know less about the song Margharita Bill Okay.
Speaker 2: Previously, ok okay.
Speaker 4: It's someone who's in despair.
Speaker 1: They're like, a woman did this to this guy, and he's like a lot of.
Speaker 3: Songs so good. I was saying that was Jimmy Buffett, and now I'm thinking less Jimmy. I'm saying, I'm just now I'm like, well, who the fuck is this guy? Based everything around that goddamn song?
Speaker 2: Okay, you definitely do know Margarita Bell, like, did you recognize the tune in the in the Summer?
Speaker 4: I thought it was okay, you know that.
Speaker 2: One goes if you like Pina cola, it is also.
Speaker 17: A fun wait that okay, that's so no, Oh my god, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know Jimmy Buffett. I don't I don't understand him.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is kind of crazy to me that you have like like lived with parrot heads and don't know.
Speaker 3: You know, nobody forced me on. It was not forced on. I don't know. I just feel Dan Miller, Dan Miller's who I like more associate with putting it on. But it's not something I just thought, Oh, look at him. This is so western Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: Which is where Jo and I are both.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it feels like a we we don't live near the ocean, so let's pretend we do. That's what it felt like to me at that time, Like.
Speaker 2: Listen, here's something I'll say about Jimmy Buffett's music, and to a degree, this book. I feel like there is this escapism to it, and it feels light and airy, and it feels tropical like.
Speaker 3: And it felt tropical.
Speaker 2: Story was chaotic. I felt transported.
Speaker 3: I felt I was impressed, you know what. It was obvious to me that he could fly planes, because he had a lot of information in there that felt grounded and real.
Speaker 2: When we compliment to a book, plate obvious to me that the author knew how to fly.
Speaker 3: It was it makes sense. It makes sense, but other stuff I don't know. It wasn't into the alien stuff. That didn't seem to make any difference. There was like a little too looks associative.
Speaker 1: It goes a long way, and I think we know that in his music, and we know that now after reading a book. We probably didn't need a whole book.
Speaker 2: But I bet the short stories, the collection of tales from Margueritaville, I bet that's really good.
Speaker 3: I could see that being better than this, just just based on right sustain a plot for that long, it'd be better.
Speaker 2: Have you guys ever read the book Insane City by Dave Barry?
Speaker 4: I have you know?
Speaker 2: It felt kind of like that, But if Jimmy Buffett wrote it.
Speaker 1: It reminded me a little bit of the books that Jack Handy writes as well.
Speaker 4: Jackie felt, I was.
Speaker 14: I had that because he has an island one.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's part of it, but also it was a dream of consciousness and like, but I.
Speaker 14: Like the way Jack Candy does okay, and I hate the way did it. So I just want to make sure there's.
Speaker 3: I also I got feelings of like, I guess who does catch Joseph Joseph Heller like it gave me. It kind of gave me those vibes a little bit too, except for obviously worse, but like what was except for than like some person satire based something, but you know, like it was going to go in that direction or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just want you to know.
Speaker 1: I opened my event my Spotify by the way, just to be like, do I listen to Jimmy Buffett.
Speaker 4: It's my number one radio station.
Speaker 3: No shut up.
Speaker 1: Buffett Radio is at the top of Spotify right now and it is from this book I Am shook.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: How often do you use Spotify?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it, mostly totally when you're in the beach to.
Speaker 4: Mostly to listen.
Speaker 1: To murders and oh great new podcast out by the makers of Scamander called check it out Unicorn Girl.
Speaker 3: I will writing it down.
Speaker 4: That's it's real fun. And yeah, that's pretty much.
Speaker 14: Just so, maybe you just need a little pick me up, a little brighter side of life after some murder podcasts. I might go to Jimmy Buffett.
Speaker 4: A pirate looks at forty Yeah, maybe so.
Speaker 14: I know Marguerite Deville from The Simpsons, the drunk Barney is singing it all drunk and he does the searching for my little shaker of salt and he's like, oh, here it is, and then he pours it down his throat. It's very funny. So that's very funny.
Speaker 3: I do love how everything cultural that you understand runs through Simpsons.
Speaker 4: I do appreciate it.
Speaker 14: Imagine growing up like that, and then when you see the like original that the Simpsons are based on, and you're like, Simpsons didn't think of that. That's how I've grown up.
Speaker 3: I understand that I've made.
Speaker 1: Another horrifying discovery on my phone. I promised, this has nothing to do with the book that we read, but I.
Speaker 2: Said, my, what a funny thing to promise.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I don't know if it's for the book, but I have two alarms on my phone. One is my wake up alarm and one is just to remind her if I haven't left work yet, I need to leave to pick up my child, and I set them to play music.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if you can see this, but the radio stations.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's probably why it's the number one radio.
Speaker 3: No there, it's in her alarm that explains it. But weird, but weird, but okay, so.
Speaker 4: I guess I'm like pretty big fan.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 16: I honestly, you guys know that you have that enabled John went at the beginning when you and Sabrina were like going back and forth over who's the biggest parent head, I feel like that would have been you could have led with that.
Speaker 2: No, but what I'm saying is it seems like she's discovering it now, okay, and so therefore it's just something that she fell into.
Speaker 3: I don't know how to me. I feel like she's so deep in parrot head that it's like to to the idea that like she could wake up without Jimmy Buffett is just like so foreign and weird that she didn't even consider it. The truth.
Speaker 14: The whole thing is so weird. I can't even I can't even the truth is your boat scene right when.
Speaker 1: The episode started, we argue about who's a better parentad I was like joking, I was like, I don't know. I like Jimmy Buffett a little bit, Like I like four songs. I was like, I'm not the bigger parrot let's be honest. And now I am like, I.
Speaker 2: Am like a pig fan and now it's my identity.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like I.
Speaker 1: Guess this means a whole lot to me in ways I didn't understand.
Speaker 3: All right, well, please don't let that influence your hate rates.
Speaker 4: It's gonna need to Sarah.
Speaker 5: I'm a pretty big fan, all right.
Speaker 3: Is there anything else we want to talk about?
Speaker 14: No?
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't think of anything.
Speaker 4: I just want to leave now. Ay, I think about something.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's see good reads five star reviews. Okay, go ahead, Sabri.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's me. I was just thinking about if there were any topics that we had not said. And one thing I, as a literary criticism, wanted to offer was the female characters not well developed except for like, Okay, Trevor Kane is the real person, not super well developed. She's also ridiculous. She got mad at Frank because he didn't come find her sooner and he was like, my plane was hijacked and she was like, that is no excuse. And if that's not a girlfriend, I don't know what is. But other than that, she was pretty flat. And Desdemona was quite the developed character, but she had as like a woman. She was developed as a crazy and developed broad.
Speaker 3: And also Dedemona was really big and voluptuous. That's how we know about her shere memos.
Speaker 1: Love.
Speaker 3: I think it passed the Bechdel test though, because they would talk about aliens and other things that were so fucking weird.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, but it's also like, were they even big enough characters to apply the Bechdel test to?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, de Deemona was a pretty big character.
Speaker 3: Look, it's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 2: But anyway, that's my literary criticism. But people who didn't have anything to criticize these good reads five star reviews. Zach Johnson said, is this objectively five stars?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Was I going to get? Was I going to give anything less to a Jimmy Buffett author book about warlords, beach bars, and flying seaplanes around the Caribbean? Also now or Caribbean If you're drama, jar Patterson said, if you have any sense of island adventure anywhere in you, this story will take you into Jimmy's world and leave you wanting more. This is one story that you that should have never ended. Okay, I read these years ago and I'm still left wanting.
Speaker 3: One because there's not a real ending.
Speaker 2: That might be why you don't have to be a die hard parrot head to get taken into this magical world where pages come alive and take you beyond where you are into a far far better place. I still miss being there. It's crazy to say, a far far better place. Like they're being kidnapped, high jacked, and bond people were being shot and murdered.
Speaker 1: You're not understanding how beautiful the Florida Keys are. Okay, you're underestimating. Okay, it doesn't none of that stuff, Manders, It's just so.
Speaker 14: Is so beautiful.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fair. I've never been there too.
Speaker 4: I'd like to get us all there very soon.
Speaker 3: All right, well, okay, I think we should all go there. Okay, that sounds great.
Speaker 14: It's going to be human.
Speaker 2: Clara, and finally, Heather O'Brien said, I loved this book so much. As if it's not enough that I adore Jimmy Buffett's music, he had to go and become a great storyteller too. Man, wish he'd write more like this. Adored it made me want to move to Florida even more than I already do.
Speaker 3: Wow, wasn't I mean? I guess some of it took place in Florida, but you know, yeah, Okay, But like Florida is the closest we're going to get to.
Speaker 2: Caribbean vibes.
Speaker 1: Oh, if you're looking for more Caribbean vibes, by the way, bad Monkey, real fun book about the Florida Keys. Obviously you can go with the classic Hemingway. Uh and no bloodlines wat TV.
Speaker 14: Oh yeah, blood I did think about bloodlines a lot.
Speaker 4: If you're just if you're pound of God about blood line in there? It feels so good.
Speaker 3: I got another. I just just found I have another fact about this book, okay or Jimmy buff it, And it's maybe an out of date fact, but I'm so can read anyway. Only six, possibly more, but as of this when this was written, only six authors have reached number one on both fiction and non fiction lists. Can you guys, do you guys want to guess?
Speaker 2: Brad Meltzer, Stephen King?
Speaker 3: I guess I can't really do this because I don't know if these people. I'll just tell you the people that ass of this writing head. It was Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck, William Styron, Irving Wallace, doctor Seuss, and me Buffin no way, all men, huh.
Speaker 1: Number one on the fiction and nonfiction Bestsellers list.
Speaker 4: I want to know where you getting your facts?
Speaker 3: Uh, Denver Post. This is from a Denver Post article, so they wouldn't lie.
Speaker 2: It's my most trusted news source, the Posts.
Speaker 4: I'm doing my own research.
Speaker 3: But I'm saying it's probably from also something that was written probably in like ninety five, so that's where or whenever his second book came off that? When did his other book came out? Oh? Whatever, this book.
Speaker 14: I'll try to talk to fill the gap.
Speaker 3: Leaders He rates Clara.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I'll do it rates one out of five.
Speaker 3: Mm.
Speaker 14: Okay, it's going to lose points for being difficult to find audiobook read it to me.
Speaker 3: You got to wait, Claire, we miss this, Okay, we missed this.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I missed how you read it? But I have a good I want you know, Internet archive. Yeah, they had several copies of book and they have an option to have the book read too by a robot.
Speaker 2: Okay, when do you have to pay for a thing in the thread about?
Speaker 13: Well?
Speaker 14: I forgot about it. Oh yeah, I don't know. Everybody already had copies of it.
Speaker 3: But I still had my copy and I didn't want to read it. I didn't want to read and I wanted to listen to it, so I still would have done as upsetting.
Speaker 14: We have to keep the page open. It's not easy, she says, things like putting instead of putting the episode off.
Speaker 2: Do you know how many robots I've listened to read books?
Speaker 14: Well, yes, you I don't know. All right, Well, sorry I didn't tell you, guys, but that's what I did. It was pretty last minute, so I figured you guys had already read it and already dealt with it.
Speaker 3: Wow, you don't know us well enough that, yeah, but it wasn't yeah, too hard, too much, you know.
Speaker 14: Just let me fucking press a few buttons and get an audiobook, proper audio book. And then again, I like that feeling of being left out of the club, out of the Why are they called paradiads? Even you have this cool relaxing thing and I don't. I don't get it made me feel good. I want to relax at the beach and so getting sand in my shoes and worrying about a sunburn and things like that.
Speaker 3: Oh, you don't get if you don't enjoy the beach, is that what you mean? You don't get?
Speaker 14: No, No, I like the beach. I just I'm not the beach Club's not it feels like I'm missing out on something.
Speaker 4: I think you feel like.
Speaker 3: I love the beach, but I'm not a parade. I feel confident on my beach.
Speaker 14: He makes me feel like I'm missing out on something at the beach. Okay, all right, fair, that's rude. One out of five. It gives a point for I don't know.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 14: Kind of had a sunset cover, which is nice. Oh my god, now I'm talking about the cover.
Speaker 2: Judge a book by its cover.
Speaker 3: Oh you know what I found something that I wrote is funny. He had opened an amusement park called cat World across from the Disney Complex in Orlando. Disgruntled parents leaving the Magic Kingdom could vent their frustrations by feeding live mice and Mickey Mouse outfits to large, ravenous cats. The Disney Corporation was suing him.
Speaker 2: I thought that was that's funny.
Speaker 3: I'm going to give it also one out of five. Whoa yeah, I I mean yeah, big reasons. I hated this paper book and that I had to read it. It's so hard to get I I feel like there was a chunk of it that got kind of interesting where things were action things were happening, but it was so too many characters didn't understand the point of anything. It felt like it was trying to be clever without actually ever, you know, hitting the mark. So and I just did not like the alien stuff. So one out of five.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give it a three out of five. It does lose points for being difficult to access. It also loses points for being confusing, but it gets points for being a like. I thought it was kind of a romp. I didn't hate reading it. It honestly felt like Jimmy Buffett wrote a book, and I like Jimmy Buffett and books are okay, So combine those two things three out of five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is tough for me because obviously I'm you know, giant, huge fan, and I do love just generally the Buffet lifestyle books set on the beach, books set in the Caribbean. For sure, I'm gonna get into that vibe. I have to market down for being hard to find. That really sent me into a tail spin, made this unenjoyable reading experience, But overall, like the book didn't harm me in any way, didn't hurt.
Speaker 4: Me, didn't make me angry.
Speaker 2: Three out of five, three out of five. Okay, yeah, okay, Now that that's done, I'm immediately ready to go into Little Fucker, and my Little Fucker is claira okay, because to find effectively an audio book, yeah, and not disclosed that on the thread where it had been.
Speaker 4: Discussed, we couldn't find that we were.
Speaker 2: We were struggling. We all had to have this hical book. Yes, doesn't matter. Do you know when I read most of this book?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 14: I didn't yesterday and today apologize. I apologize.
Speaker 2: It's always going to be the twenty four hours before.
Speaker 14: I'm a little ashamed that I had left it for so late. That was probably went into not telling you guys.
Speaker 2: You could you could have even recovered ready, you could have said, you could have said, I'm three quarters of the way through. But I happened to now find that would I covered it?
Speaker 14: No, I didn't. Honestly, I didn't even think to tell you guys. I forgot ges were That's hing honest about it.
Speaker 2: So you're my vote, little fuck it?
Speaker 14: Okay, easy, I've.
Speaker 1: Got a vote, and it's for Sarah for bringing up her little nonfiction fiction fact. It's really set me on a tail spin. My first guest was Brad Meltzer. He is a number one New York Times fiction author, and I know he writes a lot of nonfiction. The closest I've found is that one of his books was at number two nonfiction, another was at number three. I haven't given up that he is this is what you're on, but it's like all I've been doing since that was said. Yeah, I didn't say, this is my little far and I didn't want to do this. I'm not having fun. I would have rather participated the conversation. Instead, I've been I've been not listening. I've been online, I've been googling, trying not to type loud so it doesn't come up on the podcast.
Speaker 4: And that just completely sucks.
Speaker 6: So thanks a lot, Sara, all right, fair, Sorry, I shared it.
Speaker 3: Hard for me. I had the same reaction Sabrina where Claris gave that fact and I immediately thought, little fucker you, little Johnna just did that. It does make me want to snap back at her. And she did have that stupid information about the alarm, which is so stupid. I'm gonna I'm gonna go with Johnna.
Speaker 14: Wow, Johnna and her up so stupid.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's it's it's it's weird to have an artist as you're number one on Spotify and not like know how into them you are, and then also read book by them and like not even care. So little fucker's Johnna.
Speaker 4: Come out of nowhere.
Speaker 14: I'm sort of mad at all of you for making fun of my music. Some neutral stance on.
Speaker 3: Neutral Milcot.
Speaker 14: I think that's stupid. I don't know what they do for music, so it's really hard to choose. I guess I'll go with Sabrina in retaliation.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's crazy because I'm the prettiest princess obviously, because.
Speaker 3: Wait, what are our votes? Now? Me?
Speaker 2: We're all we're this is a this is done before.
Speaker 3: We're all little fuckers of the cast.
Speaker 14: I'm sure, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It just doesn't feel right to say we're all little fuckers.
Speaker 6: I guess we're all little fuck It's shocking, huh.
Speaker 4: We usually all right? Well don't we usually one person? Okay?
Speaker 2: I I feel betrayed that I wasn't followed and I won't forget.
Speaker 3: Okay, I see that I take that attack on me, and I'm I'm at you know, I'm didn't fall I feel.
Speaker 4: I could have followed easily, but I felt like you I easily.
Speaker 14: This seems like unnecessary. We have done pretty Pretty Princess, I vote myself.
Speaker 3: It is so stupid.
Speaker 2: You can't vote for yourself in this particular episode because you're not a paradet, right, that's.
Speaker 14: The rule of this So when was that established?
Speaker 3: Just now?
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, guys, you guys, remember you can make up one new rule, this one.
Speaker 3: I don't know why I'm telling you how Pretty Little Princess works. Why do I know?
Speaker 4: And I hate this.
Speaker 14: My new rule is that the Pretty Princess has diary, and I.
Speaker 2: It's pretty I already, I already I beat you to the rule.
Speaker 14: But jokes, no, you know, I'll just let us know if you get diary in the next twenty four.
Speaker 2: If I do, you're gonna feel pretty bad.
Speaker 14: That's true, all right, guys.
Speaker 2: I hope I do.
Speaker 11: I hope I didn't.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's worth it, all right, guys.
Speaker 1: Next week we are reading Beautiful Ugly and we're gonna have a guest join us and we're really excited.
Speaker 4: And that's it. We'll see you soon. Huh.
Speaker 2: That sounds good. I like that, Okay.
Speaker 4: I don't know what to do. Sarah stood up for a second walked away. I don't know if she's mad at me.
Speaker 2: I couldn't tell what's going on.
Speaker 4: We're just saying we wrap up.
Speaker 6: We wrapped it up, all right.
Speaker 2: Do you guys talk about patreo.
Speaker 3: That's very pleasing to me. Patreon, please become a patron of the mean arts. Please? What are you waving?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: We are, we are we giving them bookmarks? Did you make bookmarks?
Speaker 2: No, it's from the library, like a flag to get for what?
Speaker 3: For what?
Speaker 2: For what purposea.
Speaker 18: You guys don't usually comment on my little behaviors, you know, like I struggle to sit still for this song.
Speaker 2: So at the end of the episode, I'm always making a lot of movements. I'm putting little filters.
Speaker 15: On, like.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, guys, Uh, please turn our Patreon. Please vote on the on the bracket which we referenced earlier. Oh my god, Claire, we didn't even tell you. We'll tell you after we say goodbye. Okay, we'll tell you we got some news for you. But uh, we're so excited. We'll see you next week. Bye everyone. By A