Speaker 1: It is day four of Wicked and Grim's Halloween Week, and though the stories covered thus far were dark and grand, I know many of you have truly been anticipating today's episode above all else. Ladies, gentlemen, they's and m's. My name is Jacko, and it is my privilege to be your MC for the fourth year running through Halloween Week. As traditions continue, Today, your hosts will discuss three different urban legends. You will be presented with three tales, two of which are false and one of which is true. It is up to you to consider the facts and make your best guess as to which story is which. Of course, the truth will be revealed at the end of the episode. But to get to the truth, I must introduce the hosts of Wicked and Grim so they can tell you these three tales. Here they are the only people who could ever host Wiki and Grim to its fullest, Ben and Nicole.
Speaker 2: It's officially three Urban Legends Day.
Speaker 3: YEP, fan favorite for sure, and every.
Speaker 2: The last like two years, I'm like, I don't know if we can keep doing this because they're the urban legend stuff on the internet there. It seriously lacks facts.
Speaker 3: Well, and shit's going to go down if one year we can't.
Speaker 2: Do this, I know, but it's here this year, and as I said last year, I will do my best for next but I cannot promise it will return.
Speaker 3: So we better just enjoy it well here.
Speaker 2: Exactly enjoy it while it lasts. We hope it can return for next year, so long as I can find three appropriate urban legends and facts behind them to prove things either right or true or false or whatever. Right. So that's the stipulation. But for now, you can enjoy this one.
Speaker 3: And today we got two false one true. Yes that I got. I'm gonna make some guesses on here.
Speaker 2: So three urban legends, two of them are false. I'm going to go through the story one at a time. Okay. I have left out some information on the stories.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay.
Speaker 2: Once we discover the true and the false, we will then go through the room aiming information to divulge the facts. What and you know, the things that actually will tell you it's true and false?
Speaker 3: Okay, this is exciting. I'm excited too.
Speaker 2: So when you hear an urban legend, oftentimes you hear the bit of the story and you're like, oh my god, is this a true story? Yeah, and that's the sort of stuff that you'll get afterwards. And I'm telling you just that urban legend portion to start with.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, you're ready for this, Yeah I am.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well let's start. So the first story starts in two thousand and eight, when something incredible yet very disturbing happened in Massachusetts. You see, in the United States alone, more than one hundred thousand people are on the waiting list to receive a kidney transplant. To make matters worse, need for these transplants are increased by approximately eight percent every year that goes by. However, around only seventeen thousand people will actually receive a kidney trans plant each year, which means that only seventeen percent of people have a chance at receiving a new kidney. It's a grim diagnosis when received, but still many people keep their hopes up and wait for that fateful call to come in to tell them that they have a donor now. On March tenth of two thousand and eight, a General hospital in Boston received a donation like anything they've ever received before. In the middle of the night, security cameras captured a man dropping off a container to one of the doors of the hospital and went opened. Inside the container contained two hundred human kidneys.
Speaker 3: O man, okay, you good, Yeah, that is interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to say the.
Speaker 3: Least, I thought you were going to save two. Then it's two hundred.
Speaker 2: Two hundred human kidneys. Now, these kidneys were in immaculate condition and appeared to have been removed from their hosts within in the last twenty four hours. Along with the kidneys, a note was left behind, and the note read quote, this is only the beginning, meaning most likely that there was more donations to come.
Speaker 3: Expect more to come.
Speaker 2: Staff sorted through the organs, and to their surprise, it seemed that whoever removed them knew exactly what they were doing. They were very clean, They were taken out with immaculate skill, you name it. Though there was never it was never known who the man was, who dropped them off, or who the kidneys belonged to. The organs went on to save many people's lives.
Speaker 3: They used them.
Speaker 2: The man never returned to make another donation, and his identity remains a mystery to this day.
Speaker 3: Holy shit, that.
Speaker 2: Is urban legend number one. Okay, do you want to break that one down a little bit? In your thoughts so far?
Speaker 3: Oh man, I am like, am I allowed to say what I feel like it is?
Speaker 2: I can't remember how the yes definitely go for I'm gonna say nothing, yeah, but you feel free to say your thoughts and everything.
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm going to go false with this one, but like I mean, I could change my answers as I hear the other two because I feel as though I would have heard something about this because it wasn't really that long ago. That's a wild story, and I just feel like that would have caught my attention. Okay, Okay, I would have, you know, seen that on the interwebs and been like, the fuck.
Speaker 2: Well, there is a news story on YouTube with this that does have millions of us.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not really a YouTuber.
Speaker 2: There is a video with a news anchor reporting on this and everything, and it has millions of use.
Speaker 3: Hmm. Okay, I'm gonna stick with my that that's false for now, Okay, for now.
Speaker 2: The only reason I'm telling you that piece of information is because you're like, I feel I would have saw something on this. It's out there. People know about this, But.
Speaker 3: That doesn't mean that all the shit out there is true.
Speaker 2: Oh for sure, it could be false. It could be true.
Speaker 3: We'll make a weird shit all the time.
Speaker 2: I'm just letting you know that there is information out there and you haven't come across.
Speaker 3: Well. I mean, I would love for that to be true, because that's I gets it's kind of cool. But then it's also like, where the fuck did those come from? And that's a bit alarming.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, you're ready to move on to the second one? Yes, okay, So urban legend number two, and I'm going to quote something here. An entire classroom, along with their art teacher, disappeared in Romola. Police source state that the circumstances of their disappearance are very ambiguous. An official source in the Ministry of Education said there's no evidence of a criminal or political crime and that the investigation is still ongoing. Now this is taken from a article written regarding the story, but it gets even stranger from here. The year was nineteen eighty eight and a class of students disappeared. Mister Dubois was the teacher, and he took his students into the woods on the school grounds on one Tuesday afternoon. It was nice and sunny, nice weather outside. It was perfect for an outdoor lesson. However, as the day went on and the bell rang for the next portion of the day, no one from the class returned back to school. Search parties were sent out across the school grounds, but not a single one of them were anywhere to be found. Authorities were quickly called to assess the scene, but they too came up empty handed in their search. All they found were some footprints from the class and a ribbon that someone had dropped. Now, the ribbon was part of the school uniform and many of the girls use this ribbon to tie their hair back. As the search continued, there was no sign of the class or the teacher, mister Dubois, anywhere. The search continued as days turned into weeks, and eventually in two years. It would be forty years later before a break in the case would finally occur. A homeless woman was seen walking on the side of the road through town. She stopped and talked to a few people who were busy making their way to work or doing whatever they were doing right and she was looking for the police station. They sent her in the right direction where she was asking, and she continued on her way until she arrived at her destination. Once there, she told officers that she had something that she needed to tell them. She knew what happened to that class that disappeared forty years earlier. Officers listened to her, but didn't really believe her. They tried to send her on her way, thinking that she's just some crazy, homeless lady, but she refused, and eventually the station's chief emerged from his office due to the commotion that was occurring in her refusing to leave. She told him that she knew what happened to and like the others, he didn't believe her, that is until she handed him so thing. It was an old, tattered, pink ribbon. The chief, in an instant recognized it. He returned to a back room, unlocked a cabinet, and removed a ribbon collected from the incident all those years ago, and he matched it up with the one that was just handed to him. Though this woman now sorry, though this ribbon now is old and tattered, it was a perfect match to the ribbon he held in evidence. The woman identified herself as Sophie, and she said that she was a part of that class and she could tell them exactly what happened to her and her classmates that Surban legend number two?
Speaker 3: What what?
Speaker 2: Yep? That's all you get.
Speaker 3: I need way more information than that.
Speaker 2: That's all you get.
Speaker 3: Shit?
Speaker 2: Huh Okay, what's your thoughts on that one?
Speaker 3: False?
Speaker 2: You think it's false?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because that is just like craziness that a whole freaking class and their teacher just disappears in thin air. You know, unless this well, this person, I guess Okay, sorry, did you say this person was in that class?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yes, she identified herself as Sophie, said she was a part of that class and went missing with the class, and she could say what happened, but she's.
Speaker 3: Still alive today or not today? At that at that point, Umm, okay.
Speaker 2: The gears are turning and I'm loving that.
Speaker 3: What was Okay? You did say something about forty? Was she forty? She was?
Speaker 2: It was forty years later? Yeah later?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: Ready for urban legend number three?
Speaker 3: Um?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay. So Rochelle was a twenty seven old woman and lived in Derby, England. She, like many of us, worked a nice steady job and saved up a bit for a vacation whenever she could. And so that's exactly what she did. Together with her boyfriend James, they made their way to South America and more specifically into Peru. Together. The two of them were indulging in typical touristy type things, you know, sight seeing, relaxing, probably drinking a little bit too much and eating a little bit too much as well, who's to say exactly, but they were out enjoying their time traveling. However, while they were there and nearing the end of their trip, Rochelle began to develop a sharp, shooting pain down the side of her face. It started out slowly, but eventually it went from her ear and down into her jaw. The pain only grew as the days passed, and eventually when they had already returned home. At this point, the pain developed into some hearing problems as well. Rochelle began to hear some sort of white noise akin to like scratching sound in her ear. It was very painful and annoying, and she began to think this developed an ear infection while was on while on vacation that was potentially caused by like a mosquito bite or something. So she made her way to seek out medical treatment. It was at the Royal Derby Hospital in England, where a doctor questioned her and examined Rochelle. She told him of her trip and when it all started, and things were routine at first, but it all changed when the doctor began to examine examine her. The doctor looked inside her ear for inflammation and signs of an ear infection, and the doctor immediately noticed her ear canal was filled with maggots.
Speaker 3: Oh god, damn. Okay.
Speaker 2: They were moving and wriggling, causing the pain and the scratching sound she was hearing.
Speaker 3: Gross.
Speaker 2: It appeared while on vacation, an insect of sort had landed in her ear and laid eggs inside her head. That is urban legend number three.
Speaker 3: Shit.
Speaker 2: Two of those urban legends are false. One of those urban legend legends is true. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 3: Oh god? Okay, just wait that one? She lived in England?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 3: And sorry? Where did she go on holiday? Okay?
Speaker 2: Oh God, dissect this speak out loud. I want to know where your thoughts thought process is going here.
Speaker 3: I feel okay, I feel like that one me is is the I think that one makes sense to be true, but then I also feel like it's it is too easy.
Speaker 2: Then you know, what do you mean too easy?
Speaker 3: Then, well, I just feel like that one could happen quite easily.
Speaker 2: Could these all not have happened quite easily?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, well start with which one could not happen quite easily? Start with that?
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, I am going to I'm going to nail down the middle one as being false.
Speaker 2: The middle one. You're going to nail down the disappearing class of nineteen eighty eight. Yeah, and why is that?
Speaker 3: Because I also don't think the dates in that matchup very well. The forty year thing threw me off, and I just think.
Speaker 2: What do you mean the dates don't match up on that well?
Speaker 3: Because this I think the thing happened in like eighty eight, correct, And so then there's not enough time that have passed for that to be forty years correct. So I'm saying that's false, okay, because I was born in eighty eight and I ain't forty yet, correct. So I'm going to go with that one as being false.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, I already said said it, So I will give you this one. That one is false, but we will get to the So you got that one, right, I won't say anything.
Speaker 3: I've got one motherfucking golden star.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got one gold star, Okay, but now you're between fuck, I can't even remember the first one out, all right, the kidney don'ate and the maggots, Yeah, being laid in her ear.
Speaker 3: I just feel like the maggot is like a possibility, like that could happen very much. So this is like I am just going on a tangent here, but I was watching a chicken video and this it was a duck. I think this damn duck had like something laid inside the ducks vent, which is like their butt kind of thing, and then they'd like flush it out, and all these maggots were coming out. She's nasty. Yeah, So I feel like that could happen in someone's ear, Okay, but then it seems like too easy. But then the two hundred kidney thing, I also feel like in two thousand and eight, I am unsure if two hundred kidneys just randomly got delivered to a hospital they would actually use them. Okay. Yeah, I'm gonna go with that one being false and the ear one being true.
Speaker 2: Okay, So for the official count or whatever you want to say here, two hundred kidney donation is false, and you're going with class of nineteen eighty eight disappearing is false, and the maggots being found in your ear after vacation is true. Okay, well, I already told you that the class of nineteen eighty eight was false, So we're going to start by dissecting that one. Oh it's the weight, okayit so the disappearing class of nineteen eighty eight. This is a story that has been going absolutely viral on platforms like TikTok over the past few years. If you look it up, there are tiktoks with millions of views on this story, and unfortunately the video always abruptly ends right before the woman reveals any details. Abou what happens to the class?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is freaking annoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there actually was a clear hint in this story to tell you that it was false, and you caught it. It's that nineteen eighty eight when it occurred and forty years later. That doesn't line up, but that's how it's always told in these TikTok stories. In nineteen eighty eight, this occurred, and forty years later, do your fucking math, you know, like, yeah, that doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 3: I am actually a little bit surprised that I caught that. But I'm wondering if I got that because it was like the year.
Speaker 2: The year we're born. Yeah, but yeah, so it happened allegedly in April of nineteen eighty eight, which means that would have only been thirty six years ago, not forty.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, while we don't exactly know who started this urban legend, we are pretty sure we know where they got the idea from and where it originated from. There is a short story called The Classroom That Disappeared by an individual named Ziad Kadash who was a Palestinian short story writer, and he published this Classroom that Disappeared story in twenty twenty one, which is right before this story began circulating on social media. Yeah, now Zad's story. In this one, the children go missing within the school after the art teacher encourages the student to challenge the class of students to challenge channel. There we go channel their inner animal. While the fate of the children remains completely open, they do disappear. He doesn't actually say what happens to him. It's open to interpretation. From my interpretation. With the story, they listen to their art teacher and channel channel their inner animals, and while doing so, they are set free from being human. That's how I interpret it, but it is open ended. But in that story is we are pretty sure is where this urban legend gained its roots. Huh Okay, yeah, and it is very very false. And Zad's story is very obviously a fictional story and someone just clearly tried to adapt it into something for social media. Okay, now do you want me to talk about which one do you want me to go first? The two hundred kidneys or the bugs in the ear?
Speaker 3: The bugs in the ear.
Speaker 2: Bugs in the ear. Okay, So, when Rachelle and her boyfriend went on a trip to Peru, she had an unlucky encounter with a New World screwwormfly when she walked through a swarm of insects. And this story is very much so true. Oh yes, yes, I got it, you got it.
Speaker 3: Oh so shit, that's terrifying, disgust stinging, so brutal, and I wish it was false.
Speaker 2: Do you wish it was false? Well, it's very much so true. Rochelle Endure, this this happened to her. She remembers the incident of actually walking through this swarm of insects, and there was a bug that flew into her ear briefly, but she quickly swatted it away and didn't think anything of it because it happened so quickly. But little did she know in that brief moment that's all the fly needed to lay its eggs inside her ear canal.
Speaker 3: Holy shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so these these screwworm flies are very notorious against livestock their pests and also seek out pets, zoo animals, and occasionally humans as hosts for laying their eggs. Now, when Rachelle visited the doctor, they were discovered. They knew that surgery needed to immediately happen, and they didn't want these things to go too deep and cause permanent damage and everything, right, like, who knows what could happen? But after the maggots were removed, they discovered a total of eight maggots that were in her ear and hatched from eggs, and they actually began feasting on her flesh as they had chewed a twelve millimeter deep hole into her ear canal, which explains both the pain and the sounds she was hearing. Rachelle initially was terrified that they got too deep into a brain upon hearing like the too deep in like causing brain damage. That was her first instinct, like, oh my god, how far are they? But like that's it would have been, like hearing damage. I don't think they would have got to the brain sort of thing.
Speaker 3: But anyway they could have if it got left long enough potentially.
Speaker 2: I mean technically speaking, I'm sure yes. But yeah, the surgery was a success and she suffered no long term effects from this incident, but she did say that the incident has left her no longer squeamish of bugs.
Speaker 3: Really, I feel like that would make it worse.
Speaker 2: I think from here on out, a bug crawling on your hand is not near as bad what you've gone through before.
Speaker 3: Well, so that one I kind of also felt was true because it makes sense that you know, you would hear like the scratchiness and stuff, right, I think you had a bug living bugs living in there. But my god, that is nasty shit. Yep, Like holy, I feel like I would just never want to travel or do anything ever again ever again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, right, huh, And that's why we live in Canada.
Speaker 3: I don't know that stuff can happen probably other places, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's not likely to happen in Canada. We deal with cold ass winners, so we don't have that shit, you know. Oh yeah, that is gross and that leads us to the two hundred kidney donation.
Speaker 3: Okay, I just have to say, I'm pretty proud of myself right here.
Speaker 2: You did good in all honesty, so little pat on the back to you. You killed it.
Speaker 3: I already gave myself that pat on the back, can't you tell I did?
Speaker 2: Now, this story is not true, even in the slightest. If you think about it for a moment, you would understand that even if they it did happen, If two hundred organs were dropped off on the doorstep, there's no way medical staff would allow for these organs to actually be used after being donated. They're most likely not ethically harvested, harvested, and possibly even diseased, even if they were in perfect condition.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, so that's kind of what I said. Look at me, I was really using mynogan.
Speaker 2: You were you killed it. Now. It's hard to track down the origins of urban legends, but I believe I may have figured this one out. The oldest post that I found regarding This on the Internet is a sixteen year old video posted by The Onion, which is an American digital media company and newspaper organization that publishes satirical articles so joke things and falsified things and stuff like that, like Bigfoot going to the met Gallot like that sort of bullshit. Right, the video that I talked about is very real. It's very much so like. It looks like a news thing. They interview doctors in the hospital, they show the security footage, the note, all this sort of stuff. They going through the kidneys, you name. It seems very legit. It shows all the information I talked about in the little urban legend thingy. But most importantly, the video is in fact fake. Many of the things in the video are overdone and made to be a little bit on the comedic side. But if you not want to question what you're watching, this looks very real, like a real news story. But the biggest hint of all is at the end of the video when they go into the next new story. There's like a three second clip before it cuts off, and they're like, and next in news, a grenade eating competition goes bad, and then it cuts off. It's like.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if you pay attention to these things, you know, yeah, but a lot of people believed it to be true.
Speaker 3: So yeah, do you want to I'm going to I'm going to embarrass myself here.
Speaker 2: Oh do it?
Speaker 3: Okay because this also went through my mind, which has a bit embarrassing. But that's great because you know that show I watch Grey's Anatomy. Yes, they often will use you know, I don't know if always all their stories are true, but sometimes they're based on like true things that have happened, right, And I'm like, gosh, that is that one that one would be on Grey's Anatomy. It's like so resting that they would put that, you know, on the show or something or and I was like, I haven't seen that on the show, so it must be false. But I also thought it through too about you know, they wouldn't actually use that in two thousand and eight kind of thing. And yeah, but yeah, there you go my thought process.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And in that that quote unquote news video, they are praising the individual who dropped these off as like like a hero sort of thing.
Speaker 3: No, I know, because how on earth did they get two hundred of them? They would be like a serial killer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no one's like, I mean, of course they're like where do they come from? But no one's like second guessing it. There's like yeah, sweet like free kidneys.
Speaker 3: But I yeah, if something like that happened too, there would be you know, a trail of bodies too to go with.
Speaker 2: It, most likely, especially if they've all been removed in the last twenty four.
Speaker 3: Hours exactly, so that would go noticed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. So I'm curious how you guys did. Make sure you let us know on social media, shoot us a message, whatever you need to do.
Speaker 3: Well, we definitely have to post about this one. We haven't been very good about yeah, but I think this one we should so that people can say their guesses and stuff.
Speaker 2: For sure, We'll make sure we do a post about it, so you guys can go and let us know. Only a few days left, yeah, not much left to Halloween week. It's it's winding down.
Speaker 3: Oh boy. Yeah, so we all good things must come to an end, but.
Speaker 2: We still are going strong. We got a few episodes left, so don't you worry. We got some good ones coming down the pipe too, So we will see you in the next episode and until then, stay wicked.