Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on WBS Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, Nicole, thank you very much. Happy weekend to you, and TGIF to all our listeners and callers. We still have four hours of Nightside. We will take you all the way to the cusp of Saturday morning, so stay with us. We have four interesting guests this hour and we are going to talk about the political story of the day. Seems as if every day it's a different political story. Yesterday it was the acceptance speech by Vice President Harris at the Democratic National Convention. Today, Robert F. Kennedy Junior, as had been predicted and speculated upon, has endorsed the candidacy of Republican former President Donald Trump and has just finished speaking at a rally that Trump is holding in Glendale, Arizona. So this is it's gonna be a really interesting race. Another little twist in the road. But before we get to all of that, let me remind you that Marita worked on today's show, and Rob is on top of his tonight ready to take all your phone calls, but not until after nine o'clock because we have four guests that we want to hear from. And I hope you want to hear from as well. Going to start off with Scott Alan Curly and Scott Alan Curley. Welcome to Night's Side. You're an expert on mindset, mind set and resilience, but you're also a former prison inmate now a self made millionaire in one of the nation's most unlikely and successful entrepreneurs. Sounds like you've got quite a story.
Speaker 1: It's well, first, let me thank you for thank you for having me, Dan, It's such a pleasure. And yeah, it's been it's definitely been a roller coaster ride, but one that I'm still on.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, yeah, we all have roller coaster. We have ups and downs in our lives, and anyone who is able to get themselves squared away is a real asset. In my book, you wrote a book called Absolution The Dark Path to Light, and that does kind of say it all. If I could just ask you how long we inside.
Speaker 1: The wall, Well, my trouble started. I know we don't have very long, so I'll give you the elevator. Elevator pitch on that s Okay. My legal trouble started right after high school. Pretty much I lived really growing up was pretty pretty tough, and I started hourly right afterwards, and to answer a question all after it was all said and done, I spent about ten years in prison.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad you're out. You sound like a pretty sharp guy, and I think, you know, sometimes people don't realize how good they can have it until maybe they've experienced some tough times. And it sounds to me like you've survived and now you prosper. So the subject we're going to talk about is how many bad days do Americans have per month? When you're in prison, there's not too many good days. So you got a little expertise on this, my friend. How did you come to this issue determining a survey how many bad days to do Americans have per month?
Speaker 1: Well, my folks reached out to you regarding that, and I'm probably not it's probably not fair for us to have this conversation. And I say that song and cheek, because after you spent ten years in prison and have gone through the things that I've gone through, then it's very difficult for me to have a bad day.
Speaker 2: I hear you. I think we're on the same page. I kind of said the same thing in a different way. So yeah, but you've got it. You've got a perspective on this. What's the source of this information? Apparently there's some sort of a survey that took place. How did they do that?
Speaker 1: Well, I do have my pr Folks told me about the survey, and I believe they filled it out on my behalf and my'm understanding it correctly. But but yeah, my perspective on bad days are relative. You know, we're as humans. We all have some days or that are better than others. There's a saying that goes I once was sad because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet. So so you know, that may be cliche, but I really, in my heart and soul lived by that. There. You know, it's always it could always be so much worse, and so I try to live my life by just having what's called an attitude of gratitude. I say this to myself and remind myself of this. Also, which is my worst day out here on free ground is always better than my best day in prison.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting. I looked at this survey real quickly here, and I don't want to dive too deeply into it because frankly, I think you got and a more interesting story. They did a survey of two thousand general general people Americans. Okay, they they concluded that the average American knows that it's going to be a bad day by eight thirds six a m. Now, I have no idea what that means.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And look, we all had bad days, we all have great days. But I just think that for someone like yourself who was able to bounce back from this, I think, I think the flip side of your story. And I don't know if you're familiar with the case of Aaron Hernandez was a football.
Speaker 1: At the Patriots very much though, and I think I know where you're going with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the point what I'm going is that you were born in some difficult circumstances and you did. You had a couple of mistakes. I don't need to go into them or whatever, but that happened, and you paid you price. Hernandez was blessed with talent, you know, a specific type of gift which allowed him to become a top player in the National Football League. But then he apparently a legedly called into turned into a cold blow to murder and ended up in jail. Threw it all away. I mean, if Aaron Hernandez hadn't made some really dumb and horrific mistakes, he'd probably be retired a couple of years and going around and the worst thing he'd have to do for the rest of his life would be signed autographs and be gain money for it. So, I mean, it's it's sort of the mirror image of you. You went from horrific circumstances to a much better place. He went from enlightened and wonderful circumstances to a place where he finally couldn't couldn't tolerate it, And allegedly.
Speaker 1: It was definitely a sad story, and it's one that we can all learn from. And in my opinion, it comes all down to whether or not we choose to be a victim, whether or not we're going to take the victim stance. We all have been victimized at one point in our lives. We cannot change that. We don't know what Aaron went through, But we choose whether or not we are going to be a victim. And I think that's the key and all of it. Some people, some of them, some folks unfortunately, just are kind of quick to you know, uh ta, you have pity parties and say woe with me, and when things go badly, you know, they kind of cover their head up. And we've all, we've all been been guilty of that. And but I encourage everyone that I speak with because this is pretty it's pretty hot topic and talking point. I travel the country and speak a lot about these type of topics, especially one like this, and that that it's it's all, it's all in the mindset. And I do believe, which may sound a little weird to you, I do believe that there are times when we it's okay to give ourselves permission to feel sorry for ourselves. I do believe that every now and then, if you just have to feel sorry for yourself, and if you need to have that pity party, then go ahead and have one, but put a but put a deadline on it. But then it put us put a start time on it, and a start and at a stop time on it. And when that, when your time has expired for that that pity party to end, and it's time to get back out there and take care of business.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree with you more. I see that on your website you're the co CEO of a group called the finish line tax Solutions in LLC, and this organization's committed helping clients take control of their tax problems, and that obviously can be a can be a big problem. You speak around the country, how can folks, First of all, how can folks get your book? Because it sounds to me like this book absolution. Everybody at different times needs absolution, the dark path to light.
Speaker 1: Agreed? Yeah, okay, how.
Speaker 2: Can they get that first of all? And then how can they be in contact if they'd like to have you commit and speak to a school group, church group, or whatever type of groups just be or corporate groups spare.
Speaker 1: The book can be found on Amazon, Barnes Andnoble dot com, in STEM stores pretty much anywhere book books are sold. It's either going to be available in the store or they'll be able to look it up and get it ordered, or you can just order it on Amazon dot com. And I can be found on Scott Alancurley dot com. And I enjoy and love speaking especially to young people, and I kind of have a passion for young entrepreneurs and and and prisoners in me, folks who kind of feel like they don't see a way out. And that's That's that's where my passion lies. Because there's so much opportunity and and and uh potential out there and so many people sometimes they just need a little help to to find it within themselves, you know.
Speaker 2: Real quickly. And and I don't want to belabor this, but you you need to to realize what you are able to accomplish. I'd love to suggest a book to you, okay, just for the fun of it, I think you'll be interested in. It's called Basketball Junkie. It was written by a guy named Scott Chris Herron who was an NBA player, played grew up here in New England, played for the Celtics, got drafted by the Denver Rockets, and developed a bad drug habit. Okay, basically you know, was a heroin addict and washed out of the NBA. Went on to play basketball overseas. He played in three countries in China, Iran, and Turkey. And while he was in those three countries playing you know, professional basketball, but not making anywhere nearest the money, that near the money that he would have made of the NBA, he had to score a heroin every day. In China.
Speaker 1: Oh wow.
Speaker 2: In Turkey, he's got his life Squared Away. I had him on my show several years ago. Later that year, he spoke to the incoming class of cadets at West Point. I think you'd love the book, and I think that you connect with him. Great guy. You remind me a lot of him, A guy that really turned his life around for the.
Speaker 1: While heron author. And yeah, Basketball Junkie with Bill Reynolds looks like his co author. And yeah, I definitely I'm going to be ordering it as soon as we get off there.
Speaker 2: All r. It's gott pleasure to meet you of the radio, and I hope that some folks uh check you out at Scott Alan Curley A L L E N Curly c U R L E y uh and think about getting you around to some schools and uh in places where you can tell kids the road that they should not take. Let's put it like that. I really appreciate your time tonight, Scott.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you having you bet you Okay.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, boy, that's inspiring. When we came back on the lighting up a little bit, we're going to talk about Secret Boston, an unusual guide details hidden Boston history sprinkled around the city with Kierennan Schmidt, author of Secret Boston, An Unusual Guide. We'll be back on night So I we're gonna learn a little about Boston from a local guy that maybe maybe we don't know. We'll be back on Night's. My name is Dan Ray. Listen to w BUS Boston's news radio ten thirty and your AM dial. If you don't hear us or can't pick us up on radio, you can just go to the iHeart Radio you app download that and you can listen to us any night, any well, any any day during the night when at night we do nightside, or during the day when we do covered news wall to wall, uh anywhere in the world. Back on Nightside right after this. Now back to Dan Ray line from the Window World nights Side studios on WBZ the news radio. They sometimes say that the city in which you live is the city that you often don't know a lot about. Many people who grew up in the Boston area never have gone to Plymouth to see the Plymouth Rock. They're never gone out to Concord and Lexington. You know, that's the story. A lot of tourists come to Boston and they see all the tourists headlines. They have headlines they see the Old North Church, Paul Revere's House. However, there is a Secret Boston, and that Secret Boston is the subject of a book, Secret Boston, An Unusual Guide, written by Kiernan Schmidt. Kiernan, Welcome to w BZ nightside. How are you this evening?
Speaker 1: Great? How you doing?
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: You're more than welcome. So tell us about Secret Boston. I've been in Boston virtually my entire life, and I'm certain there are some great places that I have never gone or never seen. Although I would like to think I've been everywhere, I know I haven't. So how did you get involved in this task of not only writing a book, but writing a book about Secret Boston. Tell us the background, the backstory.
Speaker 4: Well, I live in Somerville and I've been bopping around Boston with a few years out here and there since about two thousand and two. And I've been a traveler through a lot of my life. And there's this book series that I love called the Secret Guides. As you mentioned, this is now the edition for Secret Boston, and it's published by a French publishing house called Jean Glais Publishing. And what I always found was that their guides, which are huge in Europe and they're just starting to make their way into the United States, they always had these sites that you just could never find in any other guide book. And it would be areas that you would walk by one hundred times without knowing the stories, just behind the walls or just in that little corner that you didn't look at. And so I have a travel podcast called Out of Office where a friend and I give tips and tricks and talk about our travels. And I had Thomas john Lay, the founder of Genreas Publishing in Secret Guides on and I said, you know, I know you featured New York. I know you're working on LA and New Orleans, but I got to tell you Boston, having the great hit long history we have here, these world class universities, has what it takes to have the most obscure of obscure sites that the Secret Guides try to find. And he basically said, great, together a proposal, you got three fall write ups and then a list of thirty and that grew to about one hundred and fifty secret places in the guide.
Speaker 2: Okay, give us four or five here. We don't have a lot of time left. But give us four or five little bit of a taste of the book, which will hopefully basically inspire people to go get the book. Give us start or three that we might not know about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, there's lots all around them. Just to name a few. There's in back Bay, on the sort of unassuming street there is a row house that you really wouldn't blink twice, and behind it is the National Braille Press. And this is one of the largest producers of braille books. And they offer tours, but you have to know who to write in and who to call. And they'll actually show you these enormous printing machines that they have that can produce twenty thousand pages of brail per hour, and they'll teach you about the art of brail bookmaking. And all of them are bound by hand, many by blind workers who are there. So it's incredibly moving, this hard work that goes into serving and these books go all around the world and they are printed right here in Boston.
Speaker 2: Is that a deezer? You gonna tell us the name of the street?
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, you know, I've got the book right here. I'm gonna have to look it up. I believe it is called Saint Stephens Street.
Speaker 2: Okay, there is a Saint Stephen Street. Give us a couple more real quickly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a shop that is an industrial part of Summerville. It's called Neon Williams. And this is one of the last shops in the United States that still produces genuine neon signs. A lot of the neon science has sort of been cheaped out and they don't have genuine neon in them anymore. And it's been around since nineteen thirty four. It nearly closed in twenty eighteen and was saved by an enthusiast of neon signs. And they have an enormous collection from all across the United States of great neon signs, from motels to bar rooms to chicken places. And you can go in and you can actually see them bending new signs today and it is just this warm, crazy artistic studio full of light and color and chemicals.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me let me ask you one more. Boston's a big sports town. Give us something sports related.
Speaker 4: Well, let's see. Well, there's there's the Ted Williams seat that is in Uh, that's.
Speaker 2: That's the red seat. Absolutely the red people.
Speaker 4: What I think is unique in my book. Is I dug up a historic photo of the guy who actually got hit in the head with that ball and he's holding his fingers through the straw hat that got a giant hole in and I don't think that's been been seen for decades and decades.
Speaker 2: That's a great one. I can I can also show you a street in a house on a little side street in Brighton, which is a very assuming street where one season Ted Williams lived.
Speaker 4: Oh, that can go in the second edition.
Speaker 2: You got it, you got it all right. Kieran enjoyed it a lot. Kieran Schmidt Again. The book is entitled Secret Boston and Unusual Guide. I assume available Amazon bookstores.
Speaker 4: What's the easiest, and it's in a lot of bookstores around town.
Speaker 2: Secret Boston, Unusual Guy and Unusual Guide. Kiernan, thank you so much. Pleasure to meet you, and uh, keep checking out and we'll do we'll do the second edition when it comes out as well.
Speaker 4: All right, awesome, thanks so much, Thanks.
Speaker 2: Kieran, appreciate it. When we get back right after the news, we're going to talk about bad diners. No no, no, no, no, no, no, you're taking that wrong. There's no such thing as a bad diner in my eyes. We're talking about diners people the ten most offensive things that people do can do at a restaurant. Okay, so it's the diners are great. It's the people in those diners that that we're talking about out back right after the news at the bottom of the era of My name is Dan Ray. This is Nightside.
Speaker 4: It's night on Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, Nicole. We are now delighted to welcome to the show, Shariff Mityas Shariff, Welcome to night Side. First of all, how are you tonight?
Speaker 5: I'm doing great, Thanks for having me right and.
Speaker 2: We're talking about bad diners. We're not talking about bad diners. We're talking about bad people who go to these diners. The ten most offensive things that people do in a restaurant, according to a survey. Who did the survey? Tell us about that?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I was the truegov dot com survey in the UK and they really I think they hit it. They hit it pretty hard in terms of what we don't like to see in restaurants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my mind is running is running away with me right now. So these are British diners. So these are not American diners we're talking about. But I assume the bad habits of British diners a you know, coincide with some of the bad habits of American diners.
Speaker 5: Is that that they do? And you can imagine some of those things that you know you're you're not. You don't show up for a reservation, you stay too long at a table, you bring an outside food and wine to a restaurant. Those are things that are happening both in the UK and in the US.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is kind of interesting. So you we have we have as you know, I mean, we have restaurants in America where where there is no liquor served, then you actually are encouraged. They may hit you with a corkage fee or something like that if you bring a bottle of wine. Of course, but I'm looking at this list here, uh so I want to hit some of them Flirting with the staff number ten? Who would be is there who's normally guilty of that? Is that something that I would I dare say, older men might do with younger waitresses. Who's who who forces with the staff is? Does this go across gender lines or is it more a male thing.
Speaker 5: It actually does go across gender lines. So you see it and obviouslyeeing some old gentlemen, but there's a there's a lot of women you'd like to sport with bartenders as well, Dan, And so that's uh that it plays on both sides of the fence. And okay, wow, No, while we always wanted guests to enjoy themselves, we always want them to be respectful.
Speaker 2: Got you, okay, occupy a table for an extended period during busy hours. How do you know that you are there at the table too long? If you know, let's assume that you're just oblivious. How do you get it? How does someone on the staff gently nudge you towards towards the door.
Speaker 5: Well, the best way to do it that we found is, uh, you know, the server to come up stable and said, we'd love to show you the kitchen, right, would love to meet the chef. Right, So we get the table off the table, right, We get the guests off the table because they're going to get a little special tour.
Speaker 2: That's that's a that's a neat trick, right.
Speaker 5: We actually get them off the table so we can turn the table.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then I tend to try to clean my table up a little bit. I know that that obviously that's part of what the waiter a waitress is supposed to do. But people leave a mess at the table, such as spilled drinks or food crumbs. I mean you can, you can, you can tidy.
Speaker 5: Up a little bit, right, Yeah, that's it's it's always appreciated, right, I mean, it's it's you know, think about it as if you went to someone's home, right, and you were having a dinner at someone else's home. You know, just just be respectful, that's all we're asking.
Speaker 2: There's another one here, which which to me looks like a scene out of a bad movie, snap your fingers to get the waiter's attention.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that's a no no right where they're not trained seals. Right, So we want people to get always you know, we obviously want our service to be attentive and sure that they're they're meeting their needs. But don't don't snap out our folks, especially you know, when you get folks that waive money at the bartenders, that's that's not helpful, right When we want to be there, we want to help and serve our guests. But let's do it in the right way.
Speaker 2: Okay, So here's number four. I'm doing these reverse order to stay past the restaurant's closing time. I mean, what do they do in that situation? I assume most people realize that restaurants close, you know whatever, they close at midnight, one o'clock or whatever it is. I would assume more of a problem with them with barrooms.
Speaker 5: It is, and right, and so you start cleaning up around them, right, So at some point you hope folks get the hints that it's time to go home.
Speaker 2: Wow, Okay, And then I don't understand this. You're going to debate menu prices with the staff. They give you a menu, and you're going to say, you know, like that burger h fifteen ninety five, that seems a little steep. You think we could do it for ten fifty. Is that what people are doing?
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, that does happen on occasion, and you know, you put the poor server in a tough spot. They're not setting the prices right, and so they're not obviously in a position to negotiate prices. We're not a bizarre right or an open market, and so yeah, that's pretty much found upon. That's probably the biggest no no on the list.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine anyone doing that. They allow the children to roam freely. Oh, I've seen that a lot. I've seen that a lot, and I would assume that sometimes if mom and dad have had a couple of glasses of wine, maybe they're not as attempted to the little ones as they should be. What do you do, I mean, if you'll last sue the kids or what can the restaurant do in that circumstance If they touch the kids, people are going to be a little upset with that too. Did they kind of like just guide them back to mom and dad's table and say, oh, recognize these little these little munchkins.
Speaker 5: Well, that's right, yeah, And part of that is is maybe giving them something right, so, you know, bringing out a little treat, bringing out you know, a little maybe if you have a cupcake or some kind of a dessert, obviously with a parent's approval, to get them to come back instead at the table is always a proven method.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's the worst, and I want to drill down on this a little bit. So someone comes in, they order a meal, they consume the dish, not the dish, but the meal. And maybe they remember the clean Plate club and at that point they say they don't want to pay for it because they didn't like what they ate.
Speaker 5: That actually happens more than you would think, and at that point it's really up to you know, the server, the restaurant, the manager on duty, and you know, we want to do right by our guests for the most part, but we also want to be fair, and so at certain points, you know, if there's let's call it repeat offenders, we know who they are, oh yeah, and we tend to nip that in the butt. But you know, for the most part, we're trying to do right. If someone did really like something, maybe we'll comp a drink instead of the meal and make sure that they at least, you know, we're giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's flip the script here. What about you call a restaurant and you order a reservation for two people at eight o'clock or four people at seven o'clock or whatever, and you show up in the restaurant, the person the host or hostess, says, gee, we're running a little late. It's going to be a few minutes. You can have a drink at the bar. So you're in the bar and now it's a half an hour later and you're about to order a second drink. What should the restaurant talk about bad diners? Now that's a bad restaurant because they have overbooked or someone's that someone take your table. What should the restaurant do to make it up to the customer who showed up on time for their reservation and now we're going to have to sit and show for you know, fifteen twenty half an hour, maybe forty five minutes. What should a good restaurant do under those circumstances.
Speaker 5: Well, a good restaurant, any restaurant, should obviously pick up the drinks for those diners as well as bring them out a complementary appetiser. Right, it's not just giving them what they already had spent, but going one step extra. What can I extra do for you because of the inconvenience and because of I ruined your initial experience, and I want to make it better. So it can't just be give it up to what you already bought, but give me one more thing.
Speaker 2: Now, you know, I'm very impressed with your knowledge, and I see that you're listed as a restaurant industry expert. And I interview a lot of people on my show and I often ask them, how do you become a restaurant industry expert? A kid with people, I say that, look, when you were growing up and you were eight or nine years old, you didn't want you When someone said in school, what do you want to be when you grew up? Most kids are going to say, you know, boys are going to say, I want to be a policeman of firemen in the army.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: No one says I want to be a restaurant industry expert. How'd you find your way into that field?
Speaker 5: Treef Well, like anyone in the restaurant industry, you don't choose it.
Speaker 1: It chooses you.
Speaker 5: And you know, when you get in the restaurant industry, you kind of fall in love with it because, you know, feeding people is I think one of the most greatest opportunities you can have, right, nourishing people, giving them food and drink, giving them a great experience when they go out. I fell into it. I love it, I stay with it, and I find no better joy than ensuring people have a great experience when they go out and enjoy a meal with friends. And family.
Speaker 2: Did you, I seriously asked you. I mean, I know that there was some great hospitality schools around the country. We have a college up here in a little north of Busting, Endicott College which has a great hospitality of program, Cornell University School. A lot of people go there and come out. Did you when you say you fell into it? Did you just have an experience and say I like this or did you go to school for it?
Speaker 5: I actually didn't go to school for it, believe it or not. To your point, every you know, every little boy and girl had a different experience. I wanted to be an astronaut. Yeah, so I actually went to Boston University.
Speaker 2: Rights that's my law school. I'm a graduate of Boston University.
Speaker 5: I graduated in eighty nine aerospace engineering from BOS.
Speaker 1: Younger than I am.
Speaker 2: I want you to know that if you go ahead.
Speaker 5: But then I got a job later on in the strategy side of a restaurant company and ended up being in restaurants. I'm a big foodie. I love being in the restaurant in and now I have the honor of being able to run a restaurant group with eight great brands and three hundred locations around the country.
Speaker 2: I got to ask you one final question, and that is why is it that so many really good restaurants? And when I say good restaurants, I mean restaurants that serve good food, reasonable prices. They seem to be the restaurants that go belly up. And a lot of restaurants which are you know, a little I don't know, extra fancy or you're paying you know, eighty dollars for a steak. Not that those are those sort of restaurants I go to, but they seem to continue in business. Why do good restaurants go out of business? Because I can cite I'm not going to do it on the year right now, but I can tell you a good restaurants that have gone out of business, and I suspect you you know what I'm talking about. What happens I do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's unfortunate. The restaurant industry is so hard because it's so competitive. I mean, if you think about all the places you can go to get a steak, to get a burger, to get a chicken sandwich, you could name hundreds, right, and loyalty is really hard. And if you don't have enough loyal customers, they go elsewhere, and unfortunately that's what happens. Yet, unfortunately people try you and they don't come back.
Speaker 2: And even I will mention one change which mystifies me. There was a burger chain that has been around, had been around maybe I don't know, fifteen twenty years ago, called funt Ruckers. Yes, I loved that chain. I thought it was the best burger.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: They had salad bar, everything you wanted. And I thought, Man, if I'm going to invest in a restaurant, this is a restaurant. Invested in this now I believe out of business. And I always think to myself, how did that restaurant not succeed?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's tough be just there was nothing differentiating about it. Unfortunately, Right, there's so many other places to get a burger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but oh the best burgers. I would stop if I was driving somewhere, I didn't care what time of the day was, I would pull into a fud Ruckers and they had everything was fresh. Anyway, some night I must do something on fud Ruckers. And I hope some of the audience understands. Sure, if I really enjoyed this conversation, thank you you most people who are coming on the show, they have a book, or they they're they're plugging something. Is there something you want to plug or have you just come on out of the goodness of your heart to share this this information with us.
Speaker 5: Well, No, one of my brands is actually Friendlies, which is in the Northeast, and I would love for folks to come and try Friendlies again. We're growing again. We have a one hundred plus restaurants up in the Northeast and the Eastern Seaboard. And yeah, everyone has a great Friendly story.
Speaker 2: Well, those a lot of great memories from Friendlies. I thought they had great ice cream. I buy Friendly ice cream at the supermarket because I love their ice creams.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: They went through bankruptcy, correct.
Speaker 5: We did, they did, and we bought them out of bankruptcy and we're growing again.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you, let me know and we'll have you back. If you get some some Friendlies open in the greater Boston area, let us know. I will.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think it's I think it's a great option. You know, it's a higher stirling, higher end and a lot of the fast food places. At the same time. A family can win there and they can they can have a meal with themselves or with their children, and they're not going to break the bank, so best of mine. It's good to know. So anytime you see your friendlies folks, and we we're heard it all up and down the East coast, think about my friend Sharif Mityahs and we talked about tonight. Thanks, thanks Sharief.
Speaker 5: Keep us posted, okay, thank you appreciate it, very welcome.
Speaker 2: When we get back, we're going to get a weekend weather forecast. The weekend weather forecast, I will tell you there is no snow in the forecast. It is going to be a great weather. Wen I'm only joking. ACI Weather meteorologist Carl Ericson will be joining us. This is going to be one of those perfect summer weekends, it appears. But I want to get a confirmed with Carl Ericson and then we will talk some politics. There was a very interesting development today. We'll talk about it right after the nine o'clock news on Nightside. Coming back right after this. Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio. We've had a couple of fabulous days here in New England, and again New England's a bigger area. You look at the map, you say it's a smaller it's relatively small, but it's six states and forecasting, one of the forecasting in New England can be very challenging throughout most of the year with us as Carl ericson Carl, this doesn't look like a challenging forecast this weekend. It looks like a fabulous forecast literally for the entire area. I believe how you doing today?
Speaker 3: That's right, Dan, Hey, hey, thanks for having me. That's right and pretty easy forecast here this weekend. So we'll take this one. But it's been a pretty nice couple of days. I should continue here through much of this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I guess we'll get a little rain on Monday, but most folks are off on Saturday and Sunday. There's literally a we're going to I mean, we got six states, and obviously the main goes pretty far into Canada, pretty far north, and then you got different mountain ranges up in Vermont and New Hampshire, so the weather's always going to be a little bit different. But I'm thinking this is as good a weekend for the New England Chamber of Commerce as we will have any time this year.
Speaker 3: Right tomorrow is definitely the best out of the weekend. The entire New England region will have beautiful weather tomorrow. Low humidity, that's the key there. That humidity is staying low, so it's comfortable out there. Temperature so a few degrees above the historical average, which is right around eighty, well in the load to mid eighties for the most part, as seventies, a little bit closer to the coast, but just beautiful weather. Now as we go into Sunday, that's if you are traveling a little bit further north, that's when you could have a shower or two sneaking into maybe parts of northern New Hampshire ups into a northern Maine, but even that's going to be very very spotty activity. Otherwise, further south, much of a New England have another pretty nice day on Sunday. You might notice that a little increase humidity on Sunday, a little bit more stuffy out there, but for all intents and purposes, a pretty nice end of the weekend as well.
Speaker 2: I was away a couple of weeks ago. Carl I led a group of nightside listeners on a tour of Rome in the Mouthy Coast and it was hot. I know it was worn back here. I think it was rady. It was like that first weekend in August, August second to the eleventh, and it was ninety degrees or more every day. There were a couple of days into hundreds. We never really have that. We haven't. We haven't had that many ninety degree days this summer. I know we had some early, but it seems to have calmed down in terms of the really hot weather. Am I am? I correct to.
Speaker 3: That, well, at least across our area. It has now all that heat's pretty much been focused across the central southwestern part of the United States, pretty much a heat dome there. We've had these little ripples of energy more of a Northwest flow coming down from Canada here for much of the time. So that's so while it can heat up, it's difficult to get that prolonged heat and not kind of a setup. So it's still the pattern word to change. That's pretty much what we were out here for this summer.
Speaker 2: I know, isn't it we need three days of ninety in order to say there was a heat wave? Is that? Is that the proper phraseology.
Speaker 3: Right for our geographical area. Now parts of the different parts of the country maybe a little bit longer or shorter, but much of the northeast, mid Atlantic New England. It's three days in a row of ninety or higher for an official heat wave.
Speaker 2: And we've only had have we had one this year, and if we've had one, that that's about all we've had that I can remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had we were trying to string a few together. We did have that one day we got up to ninety five ninety eight back in June.
Speaker 2: But it looks like you.
Speaker 3: Didn't have trying to find three in a row, they're just kind of scattered. I did a quick scan here through the Oaks three file.
Speaker 2: To put you in this bustle. No, no, it's fine.
Speaker 3: We ask more general one back in July July we have official heatwave there, we go have to be official here, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we got to be official at nightside. So then here's the here's the question. I know that there's been some hurricanes, but we haven't had one up here, thank god. At this point, Debbie kind of went through western New England and eastern New York. But it was it was the shell of what it was was it was that DeBie. No, that was Burrow bur Okay.
Speaker 3: That was more of that long track a hurricane.
Speaker 2: First. How's it looking. I know that there's two or three that are kind of percolating off the coast of Africa. I know you can't go too far, you know, six seven, eight days maybe, do you think we might have a quiet year. I know that they were brought be forecasting was going to be quite active.
Speaker 3: Well, we're actually really concerned here speaking with our other acuather meteorologists of September. It's very quiet out there right now across the Atlantic base and the Pacific actually has heated up here with a couple of storms near Hawaii going into this weekend. But the Atlantic has been very quiet for a couple of main reasons. Increased wind shear which kind of rips the tops of the thunderstorms off any developing storms. But also there's been a large area of dry air, a lot of Saharan dust blown off from Africa and all that dry, dusty air in the wind here. Those are just hurricane killers. You really don't get much development that kind of a setup. But what we're concerned about is we head into September here just a couple, well just a week or two now that dry air is going to go away. Also, the wind here is expected to lessen, and you have all this tremendous heat across the ocean, a sea surface temperature as well above average. So the stages set, we're actually expecting here at Acua there anyway between six and ten named storms just for the months of sep September, so expect the tropics to really heat up.
Speaker 2: Across That's not necessarily six to ten in New England.
Speaker 3: No, No, that doesn't mean six to ten landfalling areas. We're mostly concerned from Texas, Gulf Coast, Florida and up across the Carolinas for landfalling tropical systems and hurricanes here going into September. But that's not to say once they make landfall, as we all know, they may race north into New England, so we could still get some of the wind and rain impacts from any landfalling systems further off to our south. So definitely want to keep an eye on the tropics here as we go in September. Can't roll out landfalling hurricane even across New England, but looks like the best chances of landfall impacts will be across the southeast US over toward Texas.
Speaker 2: Call you the best, I thank you very much. Hopefully we'll have you back, but hopefully for a nice positive forecast like for this, like you're doing for this weekend.
Speaker 3: Thanks you just focus on the short term. No hurricanes this weekend, just beautiful weather, so enjoy that.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much, Kyle, having everyone yourself. Okay, when we get back, we're going to talk about what was expected to happen today. Did happen? RFK Robert F. Kennedy Junior dropped his well, he suspended his presidential bid. He's endorsed Donald Trump. We're going to talk about it right after the nine o'clock news