Speaker 1: Is Michael Garfi. Michael Garfield. Michael Garfield's joining in the high tech Texan. Michael Garfield is here with a high Tech Texans it to make life easier, new technology, and Michael Garfield has something you might like.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texans. Three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard worldwide on the iHeartRadio add now you're high tech Texan. Michael Garfield.
Speaker 3: Memorial Day weekend and yet here we are again, twenty plus years of me killing, spending my time with you on a weekend where you should be traped, sitting out of the sun, having some cocktails. You actually may be doing all of that right now while you're listening. And when we do, thank you for taking your phone, putting your headphones on, maybe downloading iHeartRadio specifically listening to me, maybe over the air when you're driving. Whether you are in Houston or Dallas or San Antonio where my show airs terrestrially, don't matter how you listening, but we do thank you. We are going to try to entertain you for the next two hours while you may be sitting at the pool pop on a coldie. I will hold off until the end of this show and then pop a few coldies myself. By the way, if you do want some drink recipes. You never really know what's gonna happen on this radio show. It is called the High Tech textan show which you think we're going to talk about technology. You know, people, if you've just given me an opportunity one week, two weeks to listen, you're like, what's this do talking about? He's all over the place, And I'm fine with that, man, I am actually fine. Generally you're not gonna hear me talk about politics. That's one thing I'm gonna avoid. Sports. You're gonna hear me talk about sports. Not too much sportsy stuff going on. I can just applaud from a man Scottie Scheffler from Dallas, from the University of Texas, very happy that he won the PGA Championship. We've got the NBA Finals, four teams I certainly don't care about. No Texas teams are in there. You know, it's something to watch. And then when when the NBA playoffs are over, when they crown a champion here about two weeks, it is gonna be a bad two months. I'm just not the biggest baseball fan. It's just hot. It's just to count down the football season. But you may hear me talk about some drink recipes. Actually I tried a new RTD earlier this week, A ready to drink it can had gin in it. Not a big gin guy, but I must say it was a quite refreshing, quite refreshing. So whatever pops up, including the phones, and this is where I look to you.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 3: I look to Callum, read hello Callum, and will across the way in through the beautiful glass panel, who are pushing buttons and doing whatever making me sound sexy? Thank you? Can you put a little reverb, Calum, little a little reverb, reverb verb, And they were answering the phones. This is the last time I checked date. Not a podcast, Well it is a podcast because we put my live show on the podcast later. But if you do want to talk to me, and you think you're listening to me live, the phone number three four six twenty nine texts and I will say this, uh, Father's Day coming up in a few weeks. Don't need to get me anything. My three kids they're gonna get me the usual. I don't know. Let's see the Mavericks hadn't done anything. They get me a sports jerseys. They know I don't need any piece of technology gear or any sort of device. They did get me. Uh, let's see, I've gotten everything from I didn't you know what. I will say this, and I am remissed because I don't follow hockey too much. Dallas Stars. If the Stars go far, they should finish. My father's dead. If the Stars win, my kids will give you a Dallas Stars T shirt. Maybe not a sweater or jersey. That's a little too expensive and I don't know if i'd ever wear it around, but that could be the gift if you're looking for dad, If you're looking for something in the realm of a TV or a car, or a phone, or a gadget or sunglasses or whatever, I could be the guy three four six twenty nine textan more than happy to talk you off the ledge. And also, graduates, I will say this, you know, let me give you a first graduate tip. I've got the graduations coming. Got a friend of the family their son graduated from med school. Overachiever, went to his party about a week ago, and can you believe this? They actually hit well, do graduates do this? Now where they have a wish list where they they went online somewhere and registered. I mean, I guess, I mean, I know you do that for weddings and potentially baby showers, but I guess graduates have a wish list now. But you know whatever. Anyway, I didn't look at the wish list. I got him knowing that he probably has some sort of a high tech smart watch, Apple Watch, be it whatever. I got him a device that sits on the counter, maybe it's next to his bed, that will hold and charge a wireless watch and your phone and your earbuts cost about what was it one hundred and ten hundred twenty dollars. You can find these from a number of different companies. It was an Apple did Apple even? I don't know if it was an Apple brand Moxie. Just just go online. It's just it's like a universal charger for your watch. But it's like a three in one thing. I thought, you know what, that was pretty good. He's going he graduated med school. He's got to, you know, be matched up with the hospital. He's gonna have to work like eighty hours a week. He's gonna need to be woken up. He's gonna need a phone charge something. Again, that's a low hanging fruit and there if you give me a call, hop a note to me on ex Twitter, send me an email Michael Garfield at iHeartMedia dot com. We do monitor that. Maybe give me a feel. I'm like Chad GPT. Just give me a few descriptors about dad or about the graduate you know it's at likes athletics, works out in the gym, is a runner you know, likes to travel? Or you does somebody that I can actually help hone things down. By the way, the GM GPT stands for Garfield, it really doesn't. Let me tell you a few things that we will touch on all right. Number one, how about all that have you been getting text from somebody some people about having unpaid tolls? I don't know how that became the scam, but Google just announced a solution to help those unpaid toll tech scams. Should you use an Android phone up, you should be all right? So staying out for that Apple, Yes, I'm talking about Apple. Apple may owe you money. Did you know that? I'm gonna tell you how to get it in about ten minutes too. Also, sometime during the show the one Smart Home gadget that you actually need, not want, but need. If your home is not a smartphone smart home yet, I will tell you how to make your home a smart home. But if you could only choose one gadget, one piece of technology in your home to make your home smart, I want you to think what it should be, what it is, and I will tell you my idea. That's how we do it at the High Tech Textan Show. Michael Garfield is the name. If you're traveling, we're gonna come back. We'll also going to have a travel story record number of flyers this year compared to a year over year of Memorial Day weekend. It will give you some tips. That's what I do right here on the guards High Tech Textan Ship. Appreciate you hanging in there. Many things that you could be doing. This Memorial Day weekend of twenty twenty five should do me a favorite. Don't give me the oh my gosh, I can't believe the year is flown by. It's already the end of May, it's almost June. Quiet man, just be quiet, all right. We see it's been a long year. It's only going to get longer because it's only going to be one hundred percent of humidity and one hundred degrees. I'm not get off my lawne guy, I'm not. I am an optomist. I mean I make Annie look like a I'll tell you that, but I'm a realist. I don't know how the summer did. I mean, summer just kind of smoothly drags on. Maybe because I'm just waiting for something that But maybe because I'm waiting for cool weather, because I'm a runner, like you know, I like doing things outside. Maybe because I'm waiting for football season. Maybe because I'm waiting. I don't know the travel somewhere that's cool. I don't know, but where where you are? Happy early summer and we still got what seven months ago in this year, so suck it.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: That's how we roll. And I also roll with the phone number. Uh. Maybe may give away something here on the radio show two three four six twenty nine Texan three four six two nine to eat x A N. For some reason, callum wait god Bro Calm does not answer the phone. It may go to voicemail. Gave a voicemail. We have a right to play your voice, and then you could be heard all over the state of Texas and the entire country. The I talk a lot about it, and I've talked a lot about smart homes. What makes a home smart? Well, what's your IQ? What did you get on the SAT? Now? That's not Smart homes are homes that have some sort of gadget that assist what you do in everyday living. It could be something like an Amazon device, a smart speaker, Google device, Google Nest. It could be a doorbell, It could be a lighting system. It could be a thermostat, it could be it could be to some extent, an alarm. There there are alarms now, newer alarms that actually could you know, do things and detect ai your faces as it approaches and automatically call the coppers or something. Smart. These these these gadgets, in my opinion, are good. They're great. Now. I know there are people out there who have trepidation. Well, I don't want big Brother listening to me. I don't want them watching me. I don't want you know, I'm fine, you know, vacuuming my own you know kitchen. That's why there are smart vacuums and smart mops too. Robo Rock makes a lot of them. My acts, I'm playing with one or two right, now. But if you had to choose one device, or for those of you who do not have one device that you think is quote unquote smart to make I'm smart. I have I have my opinion on what I think the one smart home gadget that you need now, I could say cameras. If you are obsessed with security, if you have kids, and you have a relatively large house or two floors or three floors in your home, and you want to see what's going on when you hear noise upstairs, you can log onto your camera and you know, see what's what's up. You can always check your backyard, your front yard, what's going on from absolute that's good security system's good. Lights automatically turn on when someone approaches at night. That's nice. Smart speakers you should be if you're home listening to the show via your smart speaker, all you need to do is just tell your use your wake up word, like hey Amazon, peep, I'm just helping you out here, Believe me. Amazon. Listen to Talk Radio eleven ninety in Dallas on iHeartRadio. Listen to KPRC nine point fifty on iHeartRadio. Listen to WOAI twelve hundred on iHeartRadio. You say those words right now seriously to your smart speaker. You can hear the dulcet tones of my voice all through your home, not just through your headphones or on your terrestrial radios or on your phone. No, that's pretty smart too. But finally, finally, to pay off this long stick, the one smart home gadget that I would recommend is one of It may not be, it may have been the first gadget that I got my home many many many years ago, and that is the high tech smart thermostat, especially here in our great state of Texas where I am based, because I think to me that takes center stage as they must have upgrade because in the long run it can save you hundreds of dollars. I'm not here to endorse one brand of thermostat. I can go on and on with nest ecob and Honeywell and blah blah blah, just it goes on. That's not the point. They're easy to install yourself. And if you don't think you can install yourself by ripping out your low tech, old fashion one and putting a new one on the wall and connecting a few hours, call a company. Ask your kids, Hey, me. It can be done, but there's not much to learn. If there's an app, whatever it is that you could download for free, connect that smart thermostat to your WiFi and your home, and at any given time wherever you are around the world, and I mean around the world you're traveling. I mean I was in wherever I go, and I travel quite a bit. I monitor the temperature. I set my temperature, but it also learns about my processes when I'm home. I generally work from home during the week. It knows roughly when I wake up because there's motion detectors. It senses what's going on. If I leave the house there's no movement, it could automatically turn the thermostat up so I can save the energy and electricity in the summer. It knows when I come home. Maybe I come home at five o'clock in the afternoon. Right before that, it'll turn it down. It's that's what makes it smart. I was reading something online I think was c net. C net did a survey twenty twenty four. Energy survey found that about seventy eight percent of US adults are concerned about the rising home energy cost. All right, I have no clue why one of us adults aren't concerned about the rising home energy costs. But that's neither here nor there. The keeping the thermostat on a hold or trying to remember when to turn it on or off. It drains energy and it eats money. I think one of the most amazing parts of smart thermostat is the ability to keep your home at a comfortable temperature but also balance energy uses in some cases. And I kind of take a buck. I say this because my electricity in my energy contract is about to renew. I get a decent rate right now in terms of killo OOP per hour. I'm still shopping around. I can be convinced I'm not endorsing one of those either. But I looked at trends. I went on my bill, and this is this is how I research things. I look at the my own usage. You can go back to your energy company, go online, look at your bill. Obviously, well, at least for me, my bill rise. This is greatly in the summer because we live need some air cone deshan. The cheapest bill I get any year probably in January, December, January and February. Yes, there are plans that you can get but also by having a good plan with Killowhites, but also getting one of these smart thermostats can save you twenty bucks, thirty bucks or more off your monthly bill. Especially I think at the winter, why you don't need to wire these things anymore. A lot of this stuff is wireless. I mean, it's just because they can talk and it. Let's put this, they can connect to Wi Fi. In my mind, a mild mannered smart device, maybe from Google Nests, maybe from Amazon, maybe from Eco b maybe from Honeywell Home, whatever it is, Google News, it's got it has a good ability to address energy issues and save you, save us all money. It's worth spending two hundred dollars on this day to make your home more efficient. So that's what I say. If anybody wants to know which ones, I'm not endorsing it. I have three floors of my home, so I have three different thermostats, all the same brand. Use them for gosh, I've had these eight nine years or so. I think they're on the fourth version. Pop me an email, send me a DM we could be tight eight and I can tell you which one I had. It's not here to endorse it. I'm just endorsing smart homes could be good for you. And this is what I'm here for. I hope so this is why you listen to me. Now, who's traveling? That's way. If you're traveling, I hope you lowered. I hope you wrote using your smart thermostat to figure out what the temperature is while you're gone. This weekend, Memorial Day weekend, over three million people are expected to fly in the United States alone. I like that because that's an uptick. When we come back, we will talk to someone who's in charge of the entire customer service with a very big airline, very big presidence in the state of Texas and actually across the country, if not the world. Travel tips that they are launching that they are using to help travelers go through their system. That's coming up on Antech Texas Hip. We are back at it. Happy Memorial Day weekend. It is Michael Garfield, the long running high tech textan show heard certainly trestly all across Texas and all around the world on the iHeartRadio network. We got a few phone numbers here. Actually, I'm gonna hold off because we have got a very hot topic right now, especially if you are traveling. This weekend, which I hope you are, and I hope you made it to your going safely and having some good time wearing some sunscreen. Record number of flyers that I've been seeing that have been up and down this weekend, and you'll get it'll continue probably at least till Tuesday of Wednesday next week. I'm based in Houston, which is also where United Airlines has a very big hub, and obviously I want to get to the bottom of everything that is everything and when it comes to summer travel season and all the cool divite ops and technology that companies are using to make customer service just so easy and so well. United has a lot of that stuff. And so what I did is I whipped up my list of contacts and I dialed up my good friend Andy Jamison, Andy Managing director of Customer Service at United Airlines. Andy, as the weekend is here, how crazy has it been so far? But how cool and calm has it been thanks to United Systems.
Speaker 5: Well, Hey, Michael, good morning, Thanks for having me. You know, yeah, you said, we're gearing up for a Memorial week, Memorial Week in where we're going to see record demand of customers. We estimate that between May twenty second and May twenty eight that throughout our entire network throughout the world that will welcome over three and a half million customers to the skies of United Airlines. In Houston alone, we anticipate Friday, May twenty third be in our busiest day, the launch of a new flight schedule, our summer flight schedule in Houston. We'll have over five hundred daily departures and over sixty thousand seats out of Houston. We're excited about it.
Speaker 3: You said about three million travelers this week. I think again, I'm crunching numbers. It seems to be about maybe about a ten percent increase in compared to last year's I love it. It's great. It's great for so many industries and economies. I mean, can you specifically attribute to that anything or you're just happy to get people from here to there?
Speaker 5: Well, obviously doing it safely is our number one priority. But we're excited about the growth and capacity, growth and fight schedules, larger airplanes and because of our I had a next plan and it continues to work.
Speaker 6: This year.
Speaker 5: Compared to last year, we're anticipating to fly over five percent more customers than we did last year.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, I love it. I recently, as my listeners know, I just got back from and you know too, I was on a long, long journey to the Far East. I was in that Hong Kong flight. I got there safely, my friends. I appreciated about that. But some of the tools that I use when I checked in, I get it to the bush, intercott and the airport. I love the fabs that I have the United App, but there's some neat features that United continues to add to make travel safe in terms of checking the weather and tracking your bags. One of which is that bag tracker. You know, you're now incorporating the Apple Tracker with the fine my stuff. How does that work?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you could use it through the United App, or if you don't have the United App, you don't have to. You know, we get about ninety nine percent of our bags for their final destinations, either before the customer reaches there or at the same time. And so, but there's a few customers that don't reach their destination with their luggage and when that happens. If it happens, we'll reach out to you and say, hey, we're working on it, but if you like to share if you have an eyeball air tag, if you'd like to share the information with this, it.
Speaker 6: May help us quick quickly reunite you.
Speaker 7: With your bag you use.
Speaker 3: It seems a lot of digital resources, which which is great. I mean, there's so many industries I find. I mean even the cars that I test. I mean you can remotely start and find them from the app and things. But I mean the digital resource that your teams continue to put out to help travelers have that smooth journey, journey as light years ahead. When I started flying many many, many years ago. What are some of the other features that you have from that app or those digital resources.
Speaker 6: Well, you said it.
Speaker 5: I've been in the industry a long time and it's been really fun to see it evolve over the years. But the recent enhancements have been the most exciting. Are United App. If you're flying, you need the United Airlines App. It's award winning everything from booking your flights to your entertainment platform if you're on an airplane, to navigating our airports, checking in verifying travel documents if you're going international, or if you just have a question, you could connect with the United Airlines Agent twenty four to seven.
Speaker 3: I've actually tried that just to pop it up. The live activities on the phones is good. By the way, it works for Samsung too. I'm an Android guy, so good job for integrating both of those plays, which is good. Andy jamis enjoining me for a few minutes. He's the managing director of Customer Service at United Airlines. Going into a weekend like this, and you've been in this industry a while, there's I mean, listen, there's there's so many things out of your hands you can't you know, touch, I mean, is the weather and whatever like that. I mean, what's your Is there an anxiety level? Is there an excitement level? What you're feeling right now?
Speaker 5: All the above, Michael that the thing that comforts us leaders is that we have strong teams. We have professionals that United Airlines in Houston, we have over fourteen thousand United Airlines employees that make the inner workings of our huge operation just come together, whether it's navigating challenges with weather or things that just come out throughout the day. The teams collaborate and work together things that the flying public wouldn't even know that We make that your your journey as seamless as it possibly can. That's all attributed to the hard working and professionalism of our employees.
Speaker 3: I mentioned the weather delays coming up, and actually I saw a feature that you also have to that you're I believe you could text live radar maps, use AI to the people so they can keep informed with what's going on. Is am I close to that? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, if we have issues with that weather or routings or whatever the case may be, our teams remotely are connecting with customers as they travel to include weather maps or you can interactively look at the weather within the United app, because sometimes you can be looking out the window and there's nothing here. The sun is shining and everything is wonderful, but it could be around the airfield or in between us and where you're going to. And so just helped bring a little bit ease to customers to know that there are issues that we're navigating through them to get them there safely.
Speaker 3: How far in the future can you honestly say that you will be able to control the weather.
Speaker 6: I don't have an answer for that, Mike.
Speaker 5: But the good thing about weather, as we continue to evolve our operations, we continue to get better and forecasting and being able to see what's coming and have plans.
Speaker 6: To work around it.
Speaker 3: What did the Obviously I got a few press releases from you guys, and really exciting to and especially I can relate to this. I just got back, as we talked about, from a literally a worldwide trip. I mean literally, my nickname on the strip was Magellan. As I went from Houston to Hong Kong on your flight and then continuing all the way back around here to Houston, I had, you know, very you know, it was a nice ride. It's a very very long ride. It gets better and you're starting to come up with new you know, how can can can pascity just remain more comfortable? I just saw you made an announcement that you're even making an up, up, upgraded level of service. It's uh, it's like the Polaris studio suite. It's like a flying apartment. You gotta explain this thing with caviar. What's going on here here?
Speaker 5: You're right, Yeah, we just had a big release last week in Brooklyn. It's scheduled to launch later this year on our new seven eight seven fleet type. But yeah, you said it, it's like a small flying studio apartment. Lie down seats with the the ability to if you're traveling with the companion, you can you can raise or lower a sidewall and and interact with that person. There's an ottomen in there, huge TV screens, more lang room.
Speaker 6: It's it's really really exciting.
Speaker 3: Set it again at some point. It's certainly as and we'll talk about this in a seconds, as the Wi Fi and the connectivity service continue to get faster with Starlink. Now that you've got the studio suite, I mean literally, you're building a TV in a radio studio for me in the air, Andy, So you're prep for me to actually broadcast live from a plane. You cool with that?
Speaker 6: Let's do it? Yeah, Yeah, Starlink it's super exciting.
Speaker 5: You mentioned I know you're excited about it given what you broadcast on. We're just getting off the ground with it. We're starting with our regional fleet. We anticipate that to be mostly complete by the end of the year. In our main line. The larger airplanes will begin next year. But talk about taking your couch to the air. As far as connectivity, it'll be like you're in your living room and it's free.
Speaker 6: It'll be free for our customers and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I saw there was a test you guys did not too long ago. But listen, Wi Fi being connected nowadays is something that we all want to do.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Listen. You know, kids still need to you know, want to play their games and whatever. And obviously there's business flights. Listen. I was on a plane that was fifteen to sixteen hours. I mean, that's a lot of downtime, but I made it uptime because I still had Wi Fi connectedy connectivity. It was okay, the fastest thing in the world. Again, because right now, you know, no air line has got like super super speedy, but it seems like the Starlink that you're working with is going to be very, very super speedy.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, if you imagine flying from Houston to Chicago and you want to use Wi Fi in today's infrastructure, you might have to connect over seven satellites in just that short fight. And in doing that, obviously there's transmission times and things that are delayed, which delays the what customers experience. Starlink allows one single source of connectivity at speeds higher than anybody can ever imagine. While you're sitting in a metal tube of an airplane, find it almost a speed of sound.
Speaker 6: It's it's pretty cool to think about it.
Speaker 3: I can't wait till you you launch it, and again I want to be the first one who tests that. His name is Andy Jamison, Customer Service at night. You're like, listen, good luck this weekend, my man. I'll tell you what you know. You may you may lose little hair. Oh, I'm sorry, punt Into.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 3: And he's a buddy. He's got he's got a very nice dome. But he is one of the nicest and smartest, and he leads a great team. United Airlines always get folks there safely, and we appreciate their time. So fly the friendly skies, my man, and I do appreciate you joining the high Tech Texan Show.
Speaker 6: Hey, Michael, appreciate it. Thanks for having us.
Speaker 3: You got it. That is uh Andy Jamison. Folks, if you guys are if anybody is traveling this weekend, like right now, I'd love to hear from you. You know the phone number seven one three two one two five nine five. Oh, Michael Garfield is the high Tech Texan Show when we come back. That's right. It is still a father's day coming up, Graduation day coming up. I got a ton of recommition, recommendations of what dubai and also where to go for your gifts. I am here for you high tech texting dot com. Thank all right? Who has left on a jet playing? I actually play that. Back in the day, we would actually play leaving on a jet plane, you know, kind of just a little segue. We just talked to United Airlines folks, travel season No, no, can't do it. Our wonderful company doesn't want to pay the licensing for anything. I wonder, callum, if I ask this before, if I sing a song, you think the AI police would pick up my horrible singing to realize I'm actually singing a commercialized song and get away to that. And again, I'm not trying to take away money from the artist. They deserve it and break any rules really percent But we used to play I mean, any song known to man or woman was fair game for the first what eighteen years of my show. Now I'm here, I'm in year twenty three or something like that. The music is just some you know, elevator music that has been free to license. It's just a you know what, this is the state of radio and podcast. But this is my voice. It's not AI yet as we continue the I take texting show, Happy Memorial Day weekend to you. Coming up next hour. Apple may owe you money, and I'm gonna tell you how to get it. There was a lawsuit that just came down ninety plus million dollars and if you were affected by this little issue on Apple, you may get some mona could be a little, could be a lot. But that's gonna hopefully tease you to stay around another ten, twelve, thirteen minutes for that. I will tell you this tip here. How would you like to get some money back every time you order something online? Specifically Amazon? Specifically Amazon? I thought, I thought this was a pretty good There's there's this shopping Assistant's browser extension, all right. It's a browser extension, which means whatever browser you have, So if you have the Microsoft Edge Browser or something like that, you can look for these extensions, which means this is these little tiny bots pieces of software code that are added to your browser that do certain things. I mean that you know, they know where you live and this is how the weather affects it, and they you know, they serve up some ads. But this is a browser extension that you actually have to download and it's called shop back Baby, got Back, shop back b a ck. It just launched here in this country, already popular and a few other countries around around the world. Here's what you do. You install it and the extension automatically activates when you go to a website that supports it and shows you what kind of reward you can earn. Now, this is everything from door Dash to Expedia, to Macy's to Walmart to Best Buy, and there's a lot more. And to entice you right now, they're offering the shop back. This is not an atom just I haven't used it yet, but I've verified it by two or three different sources. They're giving you one dollar one dollar cash back on every Amazon order. About that. I'll take a book back maybe got buck back. So they have bonus offers. There's load of time promotion promos that reward you for you know, doing a number of different shopping milestones. Uh, it's listen. This is a tool that it really, at the end of the day, encourages you to shop more. That's the trade off. It looks for promotions and it encourages you to spend. But if you're already planning to make a purchase, why not earn a little something something back. Apparently in cash out works pretty well. Heypal think you have to have five hour minimums to withdraw. Allegedly, it doesn't track your browsing history or every site you visit. It just collects data from the supported sites whatever you go to. Again, I mentioned some Best Buy, Walmart, whatever it is, so go ahead and try it. If it works for you, let me know and then I can tell you to shop for something for me and buy it for my Father's Day president so you can get some cash back. Do you see? This is what a professional radio host does. People. That's how you roll. That's how you roll. Oh, speaking of sales, An got an email. I got a question over here. Somebody wrote to Michael Garfield at iHeartMedia dot com and this is what I do. If you're too shy to call me open phone lines though, three four six twenty nine, Texan, you can also send me that email Michael Garfield at iHeartMedia dot com. You can also post something on my Twitter x account high tech Textan spelled the whole thing up, Garf. Been listening to your show for a long time. Appreciate all the tips you've given me. Over the years, I've bought cameras, if I got phones. I even bought a car once over the years listening to you, so I really appreciate it. I have an older TV that's upstairs my home that I really use, doesn't have an HDMI, but I'm thinking about trying to upgrade it instead of buying a new TV and getting one of them upgraded fire sticks type of thing. Are there? How much are they and do they work? All right? This is from Rodney. Rodney is here and where's it? Rodney is in the Woodlands, which is just north of Houston. Wherever you are listening around the world country, that's that's where it is. Appreciate that. Thank you for taking my advice. The issue here it's you don't have an HDMI or how old is your TV? Rodney? How old? I mean? I want you to look again. Just because sometimes older TVs have USB sticks, they can also have HDMI sticks to HDMI. Those are the imports. HDMI has been around for quite a while and that's how you get the high definition cord from your cable to your TV. HDMI stands for high Definition multi Media Interface, all right, and right now, that's the standard plug for transmitting the digital video and audio from a source, So from that TV cable box or a computer or to a TV or a projector, and most every new monitor type of thing they have that right now. So you need to check to see if it's got to your fate. Now, let's just assume if you have a USB and new HDMI, get a freaking new get a new TV. Just there's my advice. You're welcome. But if you do have an HDMI, yes, get a fire stick. Get a I say firestick. That's Amazon's brand, all right, Roku has a stick. There's a number. But I just speaking of Amazon. Amazon. Now when is it?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: I just pulled this up. Memorial Memorial weekend, all right? I guess it goes through Memorial Day week, Memorial Day, Monday or something. Amazon's firestick HD normally thirty five dollars. This week it is on sale for twenty dollars. What is that. That's about a forty forty five percent discount. That's not bad. I guess that is Amazon. I have I'm a Memorial Day sale. Otn't know. It's one of the best streaming devices that I know out there. I have a rocous stick. It works well. Some of these sticks come. What you do is you put plug it into your HDMI and what it is it's it's it's about the size of your thumb. You plug it into your HDMI which is in the back of your TV, so gently it's not gonna stick out. There's a Wi Fi. There's Wi Fi built in this thing. You connect it to your Wi Fi of your home and now you can cut the cord. You could stream Netflix. You can see it for for an older TV. That's one of the reasons that you can get it. So this one, specifically the fire Stick HD this and does have ten eightyp streaming. It does have a remote that can control the power and volume on the actual TV. Firestick Light does not do that. It has Alexa sorry for saying that, for voice control, and it does have an automatic interface for Netflix, HBO, Max, Hulu and some of the other things. It cannot stream things in four ten. Absolutely not a big deal because not a lot of things are shot.
Speaker 7: Or streaming in fourteen.
Speaker 3: Don't hold off of that. It is a streaming stick for HD kids a high definition. It's good price, good price. It definitely would recommend this thing for twenty bucks for some reason you do want a four K max stick that's doubled it for forty bucks. But that's fine. I didn't know it is remotely a big shopping sales is like President's Day week. Here, we're gonna go by mattresses July fourth, mattress sales. Your memorial is such a big sale, dective it is. Let me take as we get to the top of the hour, let me do sure to see if I can find you some more. But when we come back, I am going to talk about Apple r o you money, and I'm gonna tell you out to theater. Right here, I'm a high tech.
Speaker 1: Dextre is Michael garfil Michael Garfield. Michael Garfield's joining you in the high Tech Texan. Michael Garfield is here with a high tech textis its to make life easier technology? So Michael Garfield has something you might like.
Speaker 2: Michael Garfield is your high Tech Texans three decades helping you make magic with your gadgets. Heard world one on the ihardware. You'll ask right now you're high tech texts in Michael Garfield.
Speaker 3: Our number two starts right now on the high Tech Textan Show. Second hour of our two hour show which means we're halfway, which means we are halfway to a happy hour on a Memorial Day weekend, which means if you don't have a nice cocktail in hand, something say, something's wrong with you, because you can have a mocktail. Also, if you don't have something to drink or sip, come on, people have some fun. That's all we do on this show. We have fun. So let's let's do it that way. So seven actually, let me give you the phone number over here. It's eight three to two. No, it's not it coming back up. It's my mind's still in like the twentieth century when I started the show three four six twenty nine text and three four six two nine t e x A N is how you're gonna get me? A big shout out to KPRC nine fifty am and Houston Talk Radio eleven ninety in Dallas and News Radio twelve hundred WOAI. That is right. That are you you listen to restrially at some point during the weekend. If you're listening on a repeat, it's called the podcast, which you could download the iHeartRadio app, and we do thank you for doing that. If you do want to hear what we missed in hour number one, I told you the one smart home gadget that you need, not want, that you need. If you're going to have only one smart home gadget, go back. Once we're done, callum, you're gonna put up this on the podcast. Listen, goo to iHeartRadio dot com search high Tech Texan go back. I think it was in the second segment I told you the one smart home gadget that you can need. You could throw out everything else. No, I really don't want you to do that. But if you do have to have one and trying to make your home smart, I told you what that is awesome. We talked about a new streaming stick I just talked about that was on sale and a way to say one dollar cash back on a lot of shopping sites, including Amazon, on every single order, or just by downloading this an extension for your browser. It's very very simple. This hour we are going to actually if you and your kids are looking to get certified in something or go to school, look for a job. There is it's the IT industry to some extent, but there is a local community college here in Texas that is offering some classes and certification on things that it's a trend and they are. There are a lot of jobs that you'll hear, so well, we'll talk about that at the bottom of the hour. You know the phone number over here. But now I'm going to tell you how to possibly get some money Apple. If you ever ever have done a double take after an AD came up on your Apple device, it's like, what, how's this? Just listen to me, What's what's going on? You may be qualified to have some money. Apple has agreed to a ninety five million dollars settlement. It's a class action lawsuit that accused Apple of recording users' private conversations without their consent after they unintentionally activated Siri. All right, now, this goes back four years. It was a case that is called Lopez v. Apple Lopez versus Apple four years ago, and it claims that confidential or private communications were allegedly obtained by Apple and or shared with third parties as a result of an undetended Serri activation. So, if you own or bought certain Seriri enabled devices in the ten year span ranging from twenty fourteen to twenty twenty four, you're eligible for a payout as part of the settlement. How about that. So if your phone is over, if your Apple of iPhone, for example, is over two years old, smell that, smell that and money, Danny. So that's pretty cool. I mean, I guess it's cool. I hope they didn't distial of your words. All right, So ninety five million dollars class action lawsuit. Who qualifies for a settlement? So if you've owned or purchased a syrianenable device twenty fourteenth to twenty twenty four you're eligible to make a claim. I can give you the long website, but if you really want to do it, well, you know what here it is. It's Lopez Voice Assistant Settlement dot Com. I'll say it once. That's it. I'm gonna make you go to my high Tech Texan X account. H I G h T E C h T E x A N got a high tech Texan. You will see it on x Twitter. You will see a link to how you can submit a claim to potentially get some money. Now, I'll say this, I've done these before. Whether it's a printer who conned me out of ink, whether it's a phone company, whatever it is, millions of dollars to be had, split by hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people at the end of the day. I may have been part of that payout two three, four times if I can remember, but it's been so minimal the payoff. I forgot about it. Sometimes I don't know. I may have gotten a check fronder ten bones. I don't even know. So it is providing ninety five million dollar funds for payments to settlement class members who are individual, current or former owners or purchasers of a serie device. I mean, listen, it's worth a shot, right high tech Texan dot com look for Lopez v. Apple lawsuit and you can get money back. Now. Is that? Is it called restitution? Is that what? It's ten fifteen to twenty dollars? If you got five hundred dollars, is that enough not to make you mad? Like? What do you mean? They were legally listening to me when I was talking to Siri. What's up with that? Man? This is the price that we pay nowadays to utilize our devices. It's it was not right of Apple to do that if indeed they were guilty, but apparently they admitted some sort of guilt because they're paying ninety five mili out. But if you don't want anybody listening to you if I'm I'm not maybe I'm not trying to scare you. But if you read between the lines and interpret like, oh my goodness, I'm getting rid of my phones, I'm getting rid of my service because I don't want, you know, this to happen again, and people are listening to me. It's not exactly what I'm trying to say. But there's a trade off. We have the convenience of utilizing devices like our phones, which I think in our generation, two generations, our lifetimes here is one of the greatest single devices that we ever can have. What we hold in our hand on that phone are so much more powerful then the actual physical computers that we had ten years ago, certainly fifteen years ago. And the trade off is why is it so cool? Why is it because we do allow these apps to get our information, We do allow these data and cell phone companies to have our location. But you know what, if it didn't have our location, if I didn't give up my location to Google, I would not be able to use Google Maps. And I use Google Maps on a daily basis not that I don't know where I'm going. I want to know the traffic situation, I want to know the best route just because of rex or whatever. And that's just one. I want to know my weather. Well, how do ASN know where I am? Because it uses a tracking thing. Yes, I can turn things on and off, but it is a tradeoff. Sadly, a lot of these companies, either directly or inevertly, maybe by a third party company, and I'm not defending them. They use these for potential, potential malicious things. In this case, somebody slapped the hand of Apple, whoever mister missus Lopez was back in the day. Thank you. This maybe is going to keep Apple and other companies, many other companies clean for just a little while. All right, coming back, what do you got? There is a crazy TikTok challenge that I didn't know about because I don't use TikTok. That is, I don't like it. Your kids may be doing it, especially if they are in school, especially if they're in grade school, and can be very very dangerous, dangerous.
Speaker 4: I will tell you if any on the other side.
Speaker 3: Generally, at some point during the radio show, we try to give things away because this is radio, and radio is about promotions, and radio is about giving things away. And you know what, back in the day, if we didn't give out hats and T shirts and coozies, man, we weren't worth our weight in salt. Nowadays we're not worth our weighting salt. As a radio station, it's up to me to go out and find partners in clients. Hey, man, could I Bob'm gonna beg you you want to give something away. I don't give things away just any fly by night companies or parties. I actually have to use the product. I want to love the product. If it's a restaurant, I eat there. In this case, I do. Who wants to win a twenty five dollars gift card to the great Cabo Bobs. That's right, go in, build your own burrito, your bowl, and your salad. Four locations in Houston, eight locations in Austin if you're listening up there. One in San Antonio, Dallas sucks for you right now because they don't have any caller number ten seven to one three two one two five nine five zero collor ten you were a winner seven to one three two one two five nine five Oh just if you if you last longer than the next forty five seconds, hang out because you're not gonna win because the phones are lighting up. Cabo Bob's absolutely phenomenal. I was there Tuesday, I was there, was I there last Saturday. I was there last Saturday. I was there on Tuesday. I will prop I'm not gonna be their Sunday because they're closed on Sunday. Generally, get a salad or a bowl, get a little brown rise, get the chicken smoke perfectly on a come out of Joe, get the pico, and I get the tortill at chips. Now, I will tell you this when I hang up this phone, because I do the show on Saturday Live. I will go. Because they're closed on Sunday. They may be closed on Monday, Memorial Day. You have to use Go to Google if you have lit up your phone with data plan, find out if they're open on Monday. Not the point. It's Memorial Day weekend. Could have some people coming over hanging. I'm gonna have at least two bags of chips, a big thing a case on, a big thing of guacamole. Always something that I have. I do not I'm serious. I do not go to a grocery store and buy a bag of chips anymore. Used to all the time because I'm not addicted to anything in life. The closest thing I'm addicted to ESPN and Caeso and chips. I go to Kabo Bob's to get their Their chips are freshly baked, fried double thickness. Crunch crunch, crunch, crunch crunch. All Right, we got a winner. We have a winner. Stop calling. We do have a winter And thank you so much. Every week I do give it and a big shout out to Arnold and Lorie Rios, the entire staff at all their locations across the state of Texas where they are and they're they're they're just so good. See, we give that. That's what radio does. We give things away. If you have a kid who has recently taken part of the Chromebook challenge, no Kabo Bobs for you. They do not get it. You you've heard of these challenges, TikTok challenges whatever you remember how sometimes that what was it called the ice challenge that you I nominate, I nominate you callum read my producer here who puts the show together. I want you to dump a big old ice bucket of water on your head because we're gonna make donate to this charity, challenges, challenges and all this other fun stuff. You know exactly what it is. Right, So there's another challenge. This one is not good. This one is not good. Apparently. It began just a few weeks ago, and it is called and I'm telling you, parents because I want you to watch it. It's called the Chromebook challenge. And what it does. It encourages students. It gets you so stupid. It encourages students to stick small items like paper clips or pencils inside of their school assigned Google Chrome books, USB ports what all in hopes for a small cloud of smoke or a spark to ignite. Listen. I was a kid, it was semi stupid. When I was fifteen years old, there were no such things as a laptop, absolutely nothing even in the realm of mankind as a cell phone. We had a big TV with a big back on it. It was called a tube TV. I mean, the only idiot thing that we could do was take a paper clip and put it inside an electricity socket. I did not mean to say that. Kids, if you're listening, do not listen to what I just said, and don't ever do that. Do not ever do that some fifteen year old high school kid in New Jersey was arrested in charge with third degree arson and criminal mischief for intentionally manipulating his chromebook as part of this thing. You see kids go to jail. Who comes up with this? Number one? Who comes up with this? Number two who video tapes this? Number three who uploads it to TikTok or whatever platform? And number four who looks at this and says to themselves, ha, look at that. Man just ruined a three hundred dollars or so chromebook laptop, almost electrocuted himself for herself, and oh, by the way, got arrested by the coppers, and who copies that? Come on, man, it's dangerous placing items like paper clips inside any USB port anything like that. It can cause the laptop to short circuit. It heats, it sparks, it smokes. We as teenagers actually moste everything in life, no matter howld you are, we need to stay away from things that heat and spark and smoke, including cigarettes. Kids don't do SIGs. Do not put paper clips inside USB ports because what happens The paper clip becomes a pathway for electricity to travel outside if it's intended circuit path. You see, that's the easiest way for me to break it down. Ruins everything. Laptops so, by the way, contain lithium ion batteries. When those batteries are heated too much, toxic gas generation, fire, potential explosions. Awesome, awesome. Make sure you get that on videotape too. School dishes right now, even though school's about to close or shut down for the summer, they're sitting letters to parents using social media to educate these things about the chromebook challenge. All right. By the way, why just a chromebook because they're the most inexpensive of laptops, which generally they are. You don't want to blow up a two thousand dollars Apple smart Come on, man, did TikTok take the stuff down? Who is even running TikTok? Remember TikTok were supposed to be take it down?
Speaker 4: Oop?
Speaker 3: I'll get in a politics all right. As we end this, sing, what is the stupidest thing that you did as a kid? I could say, as it pertains to that, did you, I don't know, sit in a bathtub with an alarm clock or something? Kids don't do that either. Stupidest thing you did as a kid three four six twenty nine t E x A N three four six twenty nine textans do calum do me favor? I want you to screen these calls. Is I'm not I am absolutely not trying to promote things like this or whatever stupid things you did as a kid. But if they're kind of funny and they and maybe they can't be replicated today, I don't know because the technology is too sophisticated. I do want to hear three four six twenty nine textants stupidest thing that you did as a kid that did not get you arrested and did not calm you, harm you bodily, function internally or externally. When we come back, parents, here's some good news. You want to tell your kids how to get a job, find a profession that actually is hiring, that actually can pay quite well. Welp, stand by. I got an interview with a community college that is offering a very unique course. Yes, it has something to do with technology. That's coming up right here.
Speaker 8: Just after the break of the High Tech Tension Show. Continuing the long running High Tech Texting Show.
Speaker 3: Michael is the name Michael Garfield. You can hit me online Michael at High tech, texting, dot com, and every other means of social media that you can think of. If you know me, you know my cell phone text me. If not, I ain't giving you my text number, So just suck it up. People, there's other ways to reach me. Phone number here seven one, three, two one two five nine five zho. I have given that number out twenty three years. I have been doing this almost a quarter of a century, and my job is to answer questions or give you the answer that I think is best. And I know if I categorize a lot of the questions that I get over the years, it has been a lot of Hey, Michael, I want to get a smart home. Where should I start? Who should I start with? What's the Is it simple to do it myself putting a security system? Or if I want to put a camera system in there, how do I do it? I'll take you back twenty years. It was not easy before wireless. I mean, I remember my why I bought a home twenties or so years ago. I hired a company who came in with a little league jackhammer and a hammer and they popped thirty or forty holes in my wall to drag the coaxle cable and the whole thing it was. It was a long, long process. Nowadays it is easier because there are so many products and yes you can dy, you can do it yourself, but at some point you do need skilled workers to do the audio video systems. Is to set up the smart home and do you want one system like a control force system? And that's where I make recommendations. But I have another recommendation, why don't you go to school and freaking learn how to do it yourself? And with that I have an answer right here in Houston. HCC Houston Community College, I have learned, has a higher program now that teaches students how to be in the smart home smart building technology where they can do everything from wiring and networking and structuring cable. I want to learn more about that, and with so I'm going to go to the resource himself. His name is Matt Adams. He is a program coordinator for the Electrical Technology and Smart Building Facilities over at HCC Houston Community College. I bring in Matt right now, where what was this class like twenty years ago that I've could have taken. Why did it take you so long to create this? Mat?
Speaker 9: Hey, Garth, thanks for having me on the show. I mean part of it is I've been researching this for five years and we just launched August nineteenth. And the one they I've learned is all these people that do this stuff, they were so busy doing it that they didn't bother to lay out an infrastructure. So it's been coming out of different aspects of different skills. So everybody knows what it networking is, that's great. Well, like what they do is not it networking. It's more connecting networking for connected devices. So they've taken things that have been out there, maybe commercially industrially, and scaled it in a different way to use it and do some really impressive stuff with it. But they don't exist with the Department of Labor, even though they actually do exist.
Speaker 3: It's called your program that you really just launched a few months ago in the fall. It's called the Smart Building Technology Program and it's at HCC. What I'm gonna start with the careers because I get a lot of questions also, Hey, Michael, should I you know, should my kid go into this career, this career with it? I know it's big, but what kind of careers are students preparing for in this field of smart building technology.
Speaker 9: Trying to define it on where you can go. It's so broad every time you trying to find it, it's something more. But to break it down to basic type categories, I mean, you can become an infrastructure person where you're laying down networking, cable, fiber optics. They don't do as much coax anymore, it's kind of dead. You can get into networking, but networking not like it, but networking for connected devices where you're interconnecting things. Because ultimately you can have a light switch and a light bulb, but how can I tie that into other devices my TV, my thermostat for things like energy management and comfort in your house and health and wellness. It gets into lighting and light control, which is kind of my favorite. I'm very fascinating with what some of the things are doing with low voltage lighting. On a next level, it's bizarre audio visual everything from just your regular soundbar and TV to digital signage, distributed audio and video things like that where you're wanting to broadcast a single signal out to multiple locations. You've got security and fire both security systems, access control camera systems, and it's even though that's that much. It's still so much broader than that. It just depends on where you want to go and how you want to take the knowledge.
Speaker 3: Talking to Matt Adams here, Matt is with the HCC preparing students. Let's go back to that because I know probably a lot of students graduating right now from high school. What do I want to do parents a listening? How does the program prepare students for real world work as the installers and technicians and the integrators in residential but also the commercial settings.
Speaker 9: Well, you know, one of the things we always get when you're an academian is everybody we're just theorists that are teaching a whole bunch of book knowledge, whether you're looking at a professional system on some of the manufacturers out there that are high end level to even some of the DIY stuff. And of course some of the stuff that I try and teach them is not just in the class, but how they even work on their own homes as part of their teaching environment. So besides them just learning in class, they're going and doing at their house while playing around with the technology.
Speaker 3: I can honestly say after doing this for so long and being in this space where people are asking me recommendations or you know what my thoughts are of which I should build or a career to go into. How important would you say is it to have this workforce skilled in things like the structured cablings in the security technology.
Speaker 9: Everybody always asks me are their jobs in this? I like jobs. There are jobs everywhere. In fact, my nine students keep getting job offers. Every time we go out to a field trip, a show and anything. They're like, hey, can I hire you people? I only have nine They're not done yet, and so I think the funniest one was one of my students that just got out of the military in the summer and he went to a free training on access control, which is like badge entry, and all he had was a security license and just finished his first semester of starting a second semester, didn't know much. He got two job offers. One of them was for like eighty something thousand bucks, and he's like, I don't know anything. We don't care. We just were so desperate for people because one of the bad things is with them not existing through the Department of Labor as a complete industry, it's hard to get data. So when you look up low voltage jobs. It can be hard to find these companies, and yet all of them are hiring, and all of them are really in need of people with skills. And those skills could be everything from mechanical skills and learn how to use using tools, electrical electronics, networking type skills, sensors, and the list goes on and on. But if you've got some good skills, it's not hard to get a job.
Speaker 3: I'd love it. Matt Adams here giving me an idea for my side gig coming up, where I may enroll an ACC so I can get smart.
Speaker 9: Well, I mean, well, it's like one of the things that one of my friends turned me onto in the fall. I was like, I need something for the students to use, and so he Linux. I'm sure you know Linux. Linux has a distribution called home Assistant and it's free, and so I've had my students get on eBay. I've been teaching them about buying use computers off eBay for fifty bucks. Take that load up Home Assistant on that and they're automating their whole houses and it's building a sandbox at their house because it's giving them an infrastructured system at their house to learn, make mistakes on things like that, and they kind of do weird stuff.
Speaker 3: Weird stuff always happen at HCC. His name is Matt Adams. If Matt to wrap this up over here, if a listener is thinking about a hands on maybe that tech driven career, why should they consider rolling in this program at HGC And if so, what information what website can you give us?
Speaker 9: Well, one of the things is we've got lots of seats. I always like to say at school, empty seats make bad students. And we've still got seats available for summer and fall. But one of the things that, of course higher education is getting a bad rep for these days of student loan debts. Great thing about HC is we've got inexpensive classes. We've got tons of you can get financial aid, but plus, because we're a electrical trade, you can apply for tons of scholarship money there. And I've got jobs when you graduate. But if you're interested, you can go to ACCS dot edu and go on there and you can look up smart building technology.
Speaker 3: And I'm very familiar with HCC and I love how they keep expanding something like this, and I think, certainly from my seat where I've been doing this for a quarter of a century over here. Matt. This is something that is much needed. Smart home wants steroids. I like it all right, Matt. Congrats on this. Very great. Glad to hear something like this is starting and rolling too.
Speaker 9: I did want to make one other thing. This is the first two year associate degree in the United States in this field. So there are a couple of small programs around the country, but this is this is full deep dive into.
Speaker 3: This sounds great, Matt. Congrats on the success. It's great to hear something like this is being started right here in the Texas is certainly HCC at is EIGHTCCS dot edu if anybody wants him. Matt Adams getting ready to come over and work in my house.
Speaker 9: Cool sounds like a plan, Garth.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that. Continued success and have a great summer. Michael is the name. Questions about this and anything else? You know how to get a hold of me. We're going to be right back.
Speaker 7: Don't go anywhere, and there you go.
Speaker 3: For those kids or even adults who want to participate in a Houston Community College class, for those sort of a certification of low vultage of being able to wire the doorbells and the security cameras if you want to test, if you want to get you picked tests. I may have a few things that I could be upgraded. My home is pretty well tricked out, but feel free to get in touch with me. But again, in most all serious, I always could use help. But it's a good vocation, and it's it. That's it. That's some bright news, some good news, just like Lester Holt says as he ends his nightly newscast that you know, maybe there is an opportunity to go out and get a new profession or you know, teach kids of you know, a really neat trade. So I do thank Matt Adams and the folks at Mused Community College for coming on spending some time. So we do wind up the show. I want to pay off a few of the things that we teased. Texting. Who has ever received one of those unpaid toll hex scams? I don't know when this started, but past year or so. It's I'm not getting as much right now, but really, I mean, it's what's going Hey, you have an unpaid told click this button? Yeah, okay, if you get a text from any number that you don't know any number. You don't know number one, probably delete it. In a worst case scenario, I go, I'd say, go to a pay phone, but you kids don't know what a payphone is. Go to a phone, a wired phone, your office phone or something and call the number. Don't call from your cell phone. If you do call from your cell phone, you can use the old trick star six' seven to hide your number so you don't see who's, calling just to see if it's. Real but you just don't do any this stuff. Anyway Android, google who's the man makes The android. Phone they're actually getting. Smart they are coming out with this new. Technology google is updating it's scam detection. Technology should you have An android phone to spot hoaxes like the unpaid toll text some of the most common types of text related. Schemes that's according to The Federal Trade. Commission this new scam detection is going to be in the new update To Google. Messages AND i Use Google messages BECAUSE i have An android and that's the messaging app installed on Most android phones by. Default Now i'll tell you right, Now Google message does a pretty decent job of monitoring text for other types of ploys like fake job offers and bogus PACKAGE deff. Alerts still maybe once or twice a, WEEK i still get something that's very. Suspicious but apparently it's start just starting to roll, out AND i do need to go check and What i'm going to do as soon AS i get out of the radio here in about seven, Minutes i'm gonna go to my. Messages i'm gonna go to actually see if there's an, update go To Google play see If Google messages has. Updated sometimes it does it. Itself sometimes you need to kind of jump start it. Here but this is all In. Kanjut google had a big developers conference this. Week they announced a number of different thing cosmetic changes to the a lot of This google SOFTWARE ai And Android helper and all this other. Stuff but text scams related to phony unpaid, tolls they've been on the. Rise AND i got some stats here for, you Stat, boy the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint center received about sixty thousand complaints related to toll scams just last. Year fake unpaid told texts quadrupled Between january and Late. February this is according to, McAfee the software maker for security and apparently this blows My this blows my. Mind consumers lost four hundred and seventy million dollars to text scams in twenty twenty. Four somebody is not listening to my show or watching MY tv segments BECAUSE i constantly tell you and try to help you avoid. This who loses four hundred and seventy? Million who loses four hundred and seventy? Dollars who loses forty seven? Cents don't click on these. Things it's a. Problem i'm trying to delve Inside google is. Doing but it's an anti spam. Technology what it does it analyzes a conversation for red. Flags it's kind of like those phishing scams that you get on. Emails oh this looks legit because it's got a logo Of amazon or some company you, know or a. Bank. AH a lot of these texts they have poor, grammar they have urgent. Language oh you gotta do this, now suspicious, links faked, logos blah blah. Blah just don't do. IT i let things go to voicemail more than you can. Know IF i do not know the, Number i'll listen to my voicemail eight out of ten times IT'S i don't know who this. Is it's a, fake it's, bot it's a. Scam it's really consumer. AWARENESS i have taken to consumer awareness and brought in the use of, technology because the technology is how we we don't even. Use we don't very few people use wired, phones landline. Phones my, parents if you're listening In, dallas shout out to. YOU i, know still the same phone line THAT i had WHEN i was living there many, many many years. Ago but nowadays it are these technological devices that can fake who they, are and bots who they, are and THEN ai this AND ai. That just be freaking. Careful would you please please be. Careful it's as simple as. That all, right last thing or two that we're missing. HERE i talk about cars a. Lot i've been, testing test driving some new. Cars what is? This, oh who uses, well speaking of apples And? Android who Uses apple Car play Or Android? Auto, right those are becoming so prevalent in newer. Cars used to be you had to plug your phone in to use. These and what it does it mirrors what's on your phone and it puts it on the screen on the, right on the infotainment, screen so you don't have to take your eyes off the. Road, nowadays it's more and More, bluetooth so you just wirelessly turn your blue tooth. On you're gonna get it To apple Car play is getting a very big. UPGRADE i think they've upgraded that thing in a long. Time apple Car play right, now it's used by hundreds of, thousands millions of people who use that phone's app over the built in apps for their. Cars infotamus. System something new coming. Out it's called Car Play ultra and it's new. Software but it's gonna help iPhones capabilities into a vehicle system so you can use your vehicles features and use the smartphone. Too, allegedly it's gonna make it more user friendly and. Whatever so according To, apple this is the next. Generation it's going to be the ultimate in in car, experience ultimate in in car. Experience so some of the brands that you are going to see is going to feature this Car Play, Ultra, Hyundai, Kia, Genesis apparently they like playing With South korean made, cars and you're gonna see it more and. More This divine so, anyway it's going to have multi screen, integration advanced vehicle specific features for those, Vehicles enhanced vehicle function, controls some new. Widgets when do we expect this? Thing that is a very good. Question but right, Now CarPlay ultra works with the iPhone twelve or. Later if you're running iOS eighteen point, five one of the latest iOS you may want to. See the dropperning system is updated so over the Next, actually it's launching with The Aston martin. Models, OH i have so many of my listeners who have Askedon martin's actually don't. HAVE i probably. Do but it's going to be available to vehicles all over the world within the next twelve. Months, okay good news out Of google with Their, android with their anti text news out Of. Apple man it is cat and. Mouse what do you? Got you got a blue, dot you got a green, dot dead, matter it doesn't. Matter use your son. Screen this, weekend as we wind up the, SHOW i want to wish you a Happy Memorial. Day who used this weekend and we Use monday As Memorial day to remember and memorialize those who have made this country free for, us and so we thank you so much for. That while you're out, sunning while you're out, drinking, skiing, surfing whatever you're, doing have, fun can be. Safe thank. You everybody who has put the show. Together Calen read And will And Brian rickson and everybody At iHeartRadio wherever you, are have a wonderful and very safe, weekend and we will see you back next, week the final weekend Of. May that's when we come. Back my name Is Michael. Marky it's Called The High Tech Technique. Show and right now my show can move.
Speaker 6: Over