Speaker 1: La Joya Cosmetic Surgery Center is the place to go if you're looking to rejuvenate your appearance, tighten and shape your body, and just just something special for yourself. You deserve to look your very best.
Speaker 2: Laoya Cosmetic Surgery Center offers over ninety procedures and treatments for a natural, youthful appearance. They are absolutely the best in the business. Try out their treatment planner at glamfam dot com. It's so easy and amazing to use.
Speaker 1: We can't say enough great things about their Board certified plastic surgeons. And guess what they offer flexible payment plans so you can start your journey to a better you right now.
Speaker 2: Free consultations too. The very best in the business is in our own backyard. How lucky are we?
Speaker 1: Make sure you tell them that Laura Kane after Dark sent you We love everything about La Joya Cosmetic Surgery Center.
Speaker 2: Go to glamfam dot com.
Speaker 1: Hello, everybody, Welcome to this episode of Laura Kane after So happy that you're watching, so happy that you're listening. I'm Laura Kane. This is Eric Rimmer, Hi, and we have producer Brian behind the MiG. What's up Brian? Hello, okay. And on the set, starting off the show as our third, fourth and fifth co host, we have Mandy Miller, mom Suellen, and baby Rallie Rose. Okay, that is so cute, the cutest name I think I've ever heard in my life. Okay, so let me just explain why they're here and what I experienced. So twenty twenty five, I've decided it's going to be a year of more self care because I just feel like I've been go go going and not like stopping down and doing like meditation and like like Brian makes fun of me for all my meditation of sleep meditation idea. I try. I try to shut my mind off. So I went to acupuncture a couple of days ago and that was really good. That was part of my healthcare journey. And then I was looking or I was just kind of like looking around and I've seen this before and I've always kind of wanted to try it, but then something like just said do it. And it is True Rest Float SPA. Have you heard of floating?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, I did. Okay. Mandy is the president of True Rest and so there are locations all over the United States and the one I went to is here in San Diego on fourth in Hillcrest, and you can talk more about this, but I'm just going to say that this is an incredible tool to slow down your mind, to deal with depression, to deal with PTSD, just to give yourself an hour of sensory deprivation, which she will explain what that is and how the water is filtered and all that kind of stuff and what it is. But I'm gonna I gotta tell you when I was done, I still felt like I was floating, and I felt I slept like a rock that night, did you Yes, it was amazing, And that was like the exact that's the point. That is the point. So tell us first of all, I need to do this. And hey, Francis Parker all the way, baby, Francis Lancers, let's go. My kids were lnswers and you were very highly educated Vanderbilt. So she is the president of the company. So explain to us first of all, how did you get into it? Why and what is this? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Awesome, Well thanks for having us because exposure and educating people on floating is one of the hardest tasks that we have. So we're excited to be here. But actually the story of how we both got into it is my dad's story. It was about eleven years ago and we're from Coronado. We have a Navy Seal friend. It is actually one of my friends, her dad, who had been on deployment and came back, had his calf blown off and through a lot of different surgeries and a lot of also emotional trauma obviously through the process, and came back and told us that the Navy Seals had and still have float pods on base on the amphibious base in Coronado, and they were putting him through floating for his PTSD and his physical recovery and his insomnia. And then through that process we also learned that they're using the float pods to help the Navy Seals learn languages faster, which is a whole other side too, like biohacking.
Speaker 1: Wow, do you want to try to take or I can't try to take her?
Speaker 4: She'd probably be like if she's like this now, she'll be like this.
Speaker 1: The whole time. So it was was it developed by the military, No, not at all.
Speaker 4: So Europe is actually where a lot of floats existed before twenty or two thousand and nine. Okay, really we found this, and so in Europe it was one of the largest modalities. It had not come to the United States yet, there was no one manufacturing it. And so when we heard that our friend was using floating and the Navy seals validated it's clearly a great experience, we wanted to look up a place to go try it, and there were only fifteen locations in all of North America. It was nowhere to be found, and so the closest thing to us in Cornado was Phoenix. And so if I kind of circle to where we are now, my dad flew out to Phoenix met the founder of True Rest. It wasn't actually our concept, it was someone else's, but with the background in franchising, we all talked and decided that it would be a good franchise business. And so my dad and the founder they became partners, and I started selling the franchise, and we've got now fifty open in the US and one in Canada.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, that's amazing. Now explain. Okay, you've probably seen the pods. They look almost like little like little baby spaceships kind of, and they open up and they have water in it that comes up like you just you float in it, but what what's in it? And why is it so beneficial?
Speaker 4: So it's just ten inches of water and a thousand pounds of upsom salts. So you're floating effortlessly on top of the water, ideally in a no sound, no light, no gravity environment. You probably didn't know this, but true rest actually stands for restricted environmental stimulus therapy. That's like the scientific acronym for true rest. So if you're looking it up, rest is what it's commonly referred to in like scientific journals. And so if you can close the lid, you don't have to have sensory deprivation. I don't know, did you turn the lights off?
Speaker 1: No? Oh, I did. I had the lights off, but I had the music on for a little while and then I had complete darkness and complete silence. And I'll tell you my experience of where you talk about.
Speaker 4: What, well, that is the sensory deprivation site. So you don't have to do that. But if you're going and you can, that's where you're going to have the deepest level of relaxation. You're going to have your heart rate drop, you're going to sleep better at night, and you're going to have really kind of that brain and emotional recovery that you can't get really anywhere else when you're stimulated by lights and noise and frankly even like the sound of your heartbeat and gravity and all the things that distract you when you're outside of the pod.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I feel like I've been in a state of complete go go, go, go go, not stopping. My brain just never stops. So when I started the float, I was just like kind of messing around because it feels so good because it's it's ninety six degrees, ninety.
Speaker 4: Five degrees at your skin tempting, it's your.
Speaker 1: Skin temperature, so you kind of feel like you don't even like exist. It's neat. Oh, it's so cool, really cool. So then I'm like, all right, get in the zone. And then they teach you that there's a little video that you're in that teaches you like this breathing exercise that's supposed to get you into like a zone, and then you lay down. They give you a different positions you can try, but you just sit there. So I would get I started to get into this zone where I just felt like like nothing existed in it, but I saw lights even though it was dark, I could see some lights and stuff, and then my mind would go, wait, you gotta do this tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's about right.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. So when I was talking to your mom, Suelle, and she was there and she's like, you know, sometimes it takes a few times to train your brain, just like you have to train your brain to meditate, yeah, to float. But I did get into that state a couple of times throughout the hour. It's an hour you're in there an hour, right, And for some people they say it's like five minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean what you're doing is you're slowing down your brain waves to the point of being asleep, except you're not asleep. You're awake, which is why you're conscious. You know what's going on. But your brain waves are so slow that you are getting that same level of delta way back to which is like your brain wave state when you're asleep. And for some people, the mind can be distracting. The body can be distracting because I don't know if you noticed it, but if you're hungry, you hear your stomach groups.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, my stomach was growling and everything lower back. I could tell that the epsom salts were doing their work on my lower back. Uh huh, so bad. You are going to love it. Your skin. You've never felt your skin as soft as you do after this flow. I need this so bad. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Now does it help with like circulation and stuff like that or it will?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because when you're in that anti gravity state, you're helping elongate your spine, which is creating that space between your spinal cord that allows for that kind of circulation. So it helps a lot with inflammation, which you know, if you go really far down that inflammation track, you're helping women with fibermyalgia, You're helping pregnant women, you know whose you know, feet are really swollen, people that are struggling with migraines. I mean, anything along that inflammation path can be treated, not fully, not fully cured, but treated in the flow pod.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, and they do something very special once a month. Can't please talk about that for veterans? Yes, I love this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, since the original story came from a veteran, we would not be here without him. We do free floats for veterans on the eleventh of every month at every single location. So some do the entire SPA shuts down, like you know, we'll do some of the locations, we'll just do like a single float pod. But it's in our franchise contracts. Everyone has to honor that, and really no one, no one fights us on that. That's just a really great way to give back to our community.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure, that's awesome. So if you're listening and you're in San Diego and you want to take card in this, and you're an active military, active military, or veteran or a veteran, a veteran, Okay, they just have to they have to get on it for the eleventh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the eleventh of every single month. So you just can go to true rest dot com and you can sign up and then bring like a military idea with you or something like that. You can get on the calendar for really any month. If we get to the eleventh of November, you know, all the locations will do something a little bit bigger.
Speaker 1: But yeah, anytime. Wow, and I talk about how this helps with PTSD, How does that help the brain with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Well, and so this is all through testimonials that we've heard this, so it's not just the one guy who helped introduce us to float therapy. But you know, I've heard the story over and over again, and not just veterans who have you know, gone through PTSD, but also just other daily life struggles that people have encountered who say that floating in the float pod has given them a chance to have those thoughts and those memories without having the physical bodily reaction to those thoughts.
Speaker 1: So it's almost that is sting to someone. Yeah, the body feels it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and that's when you, you know, PTSD, you'll get into that fight or flight state. And so what we're trying to do is take your well, I shouldn't say we the EPSOM salts, is that we take your body out of that fight or flight mode where you can just stay calm, You can have those thoughts, but your body's in that kind of sleep mode where hopefully the more and more and more that you can do that, the longer you can stay in that relaxed state that you experienced for up to four hours or longer if you want to stay in that long.
Speaker 1: So is your only location the one on fourth in San Diego or they're more in San Diego? Do you plan on opening more in San Diego.
Speaker 4: Someone wants to franchise, they can, but I've got my hands full these days. So oh does the one?
Speaker 1: Okay? So what does the website again? And for people that want, we'll put it on our website too, Laura Kane after dark dot com and uh, with all the information, but the website again to book.
Speaker 4: It's just true rest t R U E R E S T dot com.
Speaker 1: Okay, And what times are you open available?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What what float times are available?
Speaker 4: So we actually have a deal with another nonprofit.
Speaker 1: Can I say their name? Why?
Speaker 4: Yeah, They're called Virginia High Performance. They are a nonprofit for veterans and we do a lot with them, and so because of them, we actual we opened up our hours a lot earlier than you'll see on the website. So now we open it eight thirty and our last float starts at eight thirty and goes till nine thirty, So about twelve hours a day we're just floating people back to back to back, and half of our day is full with these Virginia High Performance veterans.
Speaker 1: Do you have people that float every week and people that float every day?
Speaker 4: Yeah, every day we have unlimited members will come for hours every single day.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, because I can't wait to come back. And you guys have memberships, you have like this whole you have a whole thing.
Speaker 4: Anything that you're comfortable with, packages, memberships, one offs.
Speaker 1: Groupon oh, I know that. That's where I saw. I first saw before I contacted you. And then it so happens that when I lived in Coronado, your mom was teaching step aerobics. Remember when step aerobics she still does. Yeah, you do still do stuff, Oh my gosh. And I took a bunch of her classes and then she's like, do you remember me. I'm like, oh my god, yes, she.
Speaker 4: Looks like Barbie. She has her little microphone and does her high kicks.
Speaker 1: I love it. So anyway, I just wanted you guys to be in here, and I really appreciate it, and I think it's just really special what you're doing for our veterans and the people in the military, because you know, they are dealing with a lot of things that we have no idea and never will know, you know, so this, if this is something that can help them release those bad things in their minds, this is a beautiful thing and it's really great that you do the free eleventh of every month. That's really special. And good luck with the I mean it sounds like you're gang going gangbusters, even with a one month old and a one year old. Don't you have a one year old?
Speaker 3: Too? Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, girl, how are you doing it all? Thank god? I don't like this.
Speaker 4: I bringer with me.
Speaker 1: Mom. Is there anything that you want to say, so Ellen that to add to anything? If you if you can bend down?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah again, just thank you. We really want to get the word out to people in San Diego and especially to the military community, and just get people in there and try it experiences for the first time so that they can see really how amazing it makes you feel.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. And then afterward you can sit and do a little bit of oxygen therapy too. Have you ever done oxygen therapy? Have not? It's the whole shebang. You walk out of there and you are literally floating on it. I know. It's like the coolest thing. So thank you for coming in, thank you for doing the service. And let's talk about.
Speaker 3: Dune Jewelry before we log out. Dune Jewelry dot Calm check them out if you are looking for something special for somebody, a gift for somebody. Oh my gosh, this would be the best gift ever. It's very meaningful.
Speaker 1: Yes, they have necklaces, they have bracelets, they have rings, and they have silver, gold, you name it, all sorts of crystals. They can design whatever you want. You can pick one of their already current designs, or you can make your own custom with a sand from a beach used to go to mixed with ashes from your mom that you want to carry with you, and they make them handmade into these special pieces that are just so incredibly beautiful and they come in this beautiful box with a card that says in memory of if you do use ashes, but go to dounejeey dot com check it out. This should be your next gift to someone's special.
Speaker 2: I love my ring.
Speaker 1: I know I love my ring, and I can't wait to get my neck my other ring that with my dad's ashes in it. I'm so excited and so use the promo code Laura Kane fifteen Laura Kane fifteen to get fifteen percent off because that will make a big difference. Dounejeurery dot com. If you forgot all this, just go to Laura Kane after dark dot com. Same with true rest. If you need the website and you're like, wait, what was that again, just go to our website Lauracane after Dark dot com and that will get you there. Thank you so much for joining us. We really appreciate it. And for first baby on the set, very first sod is so cute. One month old, one month wow. Wow. It's just I do you remember those days? It does take me back. Yes, it takes me back. I'm melancholy, and I'm also like thank god, and I know, but I remember those days. I remember that. I do remember that. Anyway, we say something at the end of our podcast that if you would say it after me, that would be great, and then Eric saysn't we close it out? All right? All right, you don't have to say this part. But thank you guys so much for listening and watching. We sure appreciate it and it means a lot. And love your podcast.
Speaker 4: Love your podcast, Love your.
Speaker 3: Podcast, Love you my sweet babies.
Speaker 1: Bye you guys, Thank you, Bye guys.