Speaker 1: I think inertia is a good word to use to describe what we see happening right now, because if there isn't a change in policy, if it's the same policy just amplified or reduced, it's the inertia of the operation continues moving in the same kind of general direction, which is the hardening of Iran's regime, the weakening of US influence in the region, the growth of Saudi Arabia as a power regionally, the decline of Israel as a power in the region. And one thing on the horizon we haven't talked about is the growth of Turkey also in the region, because Turkey has always had the dream of returning to the Ottoman control over these places between today's Turkey all the way down to Yemen.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, hey, welcome everybody to another episode of Eyes on Geopolitics. I'm here with Jack Murphy, Jonathan Hackett, and Mick mulroy. A lot happening as usual. Throughout this past week. We had been striking Iran, that had stopped, and then there was talk more and more about a bigger hit potentially hitting like energy infrastructure. Saint con Commander General Bradley Cooper briefed President Trump about a bigger campaign that would that would roughly take about two weeks. I feel like we're living this war two weeks at a time. Frankly. Another interesting thing I saw from Axios that the Trump officials basically were giving We're saying, how like they were surprised about a Ran being so aggressive in terms of like the negotiations, which is like, I don't know how they could be shocked by that. They begin pummeled for four months and like they're still around. And as the week was leading on, it was You're hearing more and more about a bigger strike, bigger strike or bigger campaign essentially probably with in conjunction with Israel at least that was the talk. And last night basically it was paused. I don't know if Trump put out a state or a tweet or whatever saying that, oh yeah he did. It was like ridiculous. You guys can go ahead and read it. I'm not gonna read it for you. It was, you know, one of Trump's regular ridiculous kind of tweets that he writes a lot of stuff happening in the background too that I was reading about, like Saudi Arabia NBS called up Trump uh to like, I guess, you know, have Trump like a kind of exercise restraint and stuff like that, because Iran had you know, warned and tell everybody supposedly too that they hit up like Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkey. Uh that if they helped us in any way with this campaign or this bombing, that they would be in line for some sort of retaliation. So ended up last night late, like not even late last night, it's probably like nine pm Eastern. Trump releases that tweet, says it's not gonna happen, and then there's a possible deal on the table. This is shit we've heard before many many times. Uh, I don't know what the fuck's gonna happen. You guys tell me. It's beyond frustrating to live this over and over and over again. It's like Groundhog's Day. So I'd love to know what you guys are tracking with this. Mick, you go first.
Speaker 3: So I was I mean all week, as in every week talking about this on ABC, talking about trying to isolate the regime economically, et cetera, sanctioned secondary sanctions, and then I see brother Jonathan talking to brother Jack about how much it isn't going to work. I was like, damn it. And then maybe I don't know if you guys, I mean, obviously those two know what I'm talking about. But maybe it's a good thing that Jonathan kind of does a summary of that. Again, I'm still going to advocate that we have to do something so, but I think it's important to point that he had in that of how the regime is kind of figured out the way around that and essentially they still become rich, that it only really impacts the people. So I think we need to take that into consideration. But I'll leave that for Jonathan to explain even more. But so where we see this week, We're in a situation right now where we obviously can't leave it at the current state or we have failed. And I always look at this as we look at it as a partisan thing. Be so I want to figure out a way out of this that is successful for the United States, which I think also translates successful for the region and the world. Right, So we can't leave it like this. Rono controls the straighter Homotes, that's unacceptable. They are likely going to go for a nuclear weapon now, So we haven't ensured that they will never get at nuclear weapon. We probably have in part inspired them to. I think Midnight Hammer did degrade it. But now the people that are in power, and I think could make a very good case that if they would have had the nuclear weapon, which some of them have been advocating for the whole time, they wouldn't be getting attacked right now. And I think even if you know, you're any American who despises the Urinian regime, you can still put yourself in their position and say, so what I right, I would rather be you know, North Korea than are on right now. So we have not met that objective. We have to figure a way to meet that objective. The objectives that we came close to, like degrading their ballistic missile capacity, manufacturing capacity, et cetera, are going to be replaced. So they are going to be replaced. So within six months, I don't know what the assessment is, but whatever the assessment is, we will get to a point where they have replaced it, maybe exceeded it, and now definitely aren't going to restrict themselves on amount and range. So we're going to get in a place where even that wasn't a success, at least at the time that they reach it. So what are we going to do differently? I really and I know this might be difficult for the current administration, but they're going to have to do a little humble pie with the international community. Talk about the fact that even though none of them may have agreed or very few of them, with the US going to war thrown, this is impacting the world. It's impacted their people. This is a global trade issue. International waterways shouldn't just be the responsibility even if we had a potential cause in it of the United States, whether it's military coalitions. I know we talked about this last nine political coalitions, how to isolate the regime, how to find IRGC commercial infrastructure around the world, seize it, stop it, affect it. I know this isn't going to be the be all answer to any of this stuff, and it's probably going to take a long time, but something needs to change their perspective. The current situation, other than a major escalation is not going to change their mind. And the assessment of at least the CIA and DI is even the massive escalation isn't going to change your mind. So where do we go from here? I think that is at least part of the answer. But I do think Jonathan's point to Jack earlier in the week, I think I think it was this week, I don't know, needs to be addressed as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the thing that you're mentioning Nick about what Jack and I talked about, we did like an Iran deep dive, like a special episode, like a historical kind of you know, narrow focused talk. I think that was this past week came out so for listeners if they missed that, they can check that out.
Speaker 4: Was like off schedule.
Speaker 1: But basically we were discussing all kinds of things about Iran, but in particular the sanctions, because that's a big hot topic in the West, not just the United States, but even back when the JCPOA was being negotiated, that was a question of how do we fit sanctions into the JCPOA as part of it, as a as a you know, a response to them breaking parts of the JCPOA, plus separate US sanctions and separate EU sanctions that could be relied upon to influence behavior, because that's the whole point of using the economic instrument of national power, is to influence the outcome of another state's behavior in a way that's beneficial or at least neutral not negative to us. And that big question is do sanctions do that? And I argue that no, they don't if they're alone, if they're used as a single insular tool to affect a country that's an authoritarian state. No, And the reason is sanctions are designed to harm capitalist countries. For example, in a democracy like America, if another state that was powerful, like China, for example, sanctioned America in some way, let's say, on car manufacturing parts or Amazon items at their point of origin, or crude oil production that produces plastics, which the US relies heavily on, like somehow affecting this massively so it touched a lot of Americans. Americans would go to the polls and they would vote and change the political representation in a way that would modify that, and that would be something that China would benefit from. That's how a sanction would work in a democracy. Unfortunately, countries like China, North Korea, Iran and others are not democracies at all, and they're actually designed to separate the small kernel of leaders from the rest of the population. In Iran is an excellent example of that. Where the small kernel of elites are extremely resilient and they have dense real estate portfolios in London, they have money in banks all over the world. They have Swiss bank accounts with billions of dollars. That's why there's been all this discussion about unfreezing assets. And let's say South Korea, for example, there's like six billion dollars sitting in a bank account that doesn't belong to the Iranian people.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean it.
Speaker 1: Does technically, but it's not accessible by them. Instead, it's the regime alone that has control over this. And that's a big problem with sanctions is that, Okay, you sanction an authoritarian state, they're just going to ignore the sanctions. They're going to further oppress the people. They're going to squeeze every dollar and cent out of those people. They're going to continue working in the black market. And it's important to remember, even in the United States, where we have capitalist economy that is free, most of our economy is actually in the private markets. It's not public that there's a whole shadow banking system. In the United States, for example, you can't go and open a bank account at JP Moore or at Morgan Stanley, but that's where most of the assets in the country sit is in these non bank banks. Iran has non bank banks too, so does Russia, so it does China. That's how all these transactions are happening every day, billions and billions of dollars a day moving between these countries despite these sanctions. So there is a lot of arguments for sanctions and a lot of arguments against sanctions. But I think it's something that's not debated enough and understood from the perspective of the ones being sanctioned, not from American consumption of you know, voters who say, oh, it's good we did something. It's good to do something, but maybe there's other things to do as well in conjunction with that. Right now, we're using a military instrument, which we're using in Iran. We're also using an economic instrument. We're attempting to use a diplomatic instrument, attempting here and there, and it's very haphazard compared to the other two instruments. But there needs to be some more unification across these different instruments so that they're all going towards the same objective. Like you mentioned, Mick, there are certain objectives here they have to be unified. You can't have three different objectives for each of these instruments going after the different objectives. They have to be the same objective with little components that kind of all lead to this larger grand objective.
Speaker 3: So we could still go after the IRGC commercial infrastructure sees it to affect them since they are not insulated from their own means of crazy.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and actually a great example of that is I mentioned this before, like Audi and Mercedes for example, they're not allowed to ship completed vehicles to Iran. So what they do is they just separate the pieces by several inches and put styrophone between them in giant box and crates, bring them into Iran, take the little pieces out, put the vehicles together. Now you've got a complete vehicle. Because the way the law is written, it cannot be a completed vehicle ship to Iran, but pieces can be. Both sides are very smart. Both sides have an economic interest in evading this law. Right, same thing in London, there's certain rules about how foreigners can own assets in the UK. The IERGC commanders read this and they're like, oh, I can just avoid this by incorporating a new business in company's house, which is the UK's registry for basically like LLC's in the United States. I can just incorporate rate this with a different person's name on a different uh little identifier here, but keep the address the same, same building, same bank account, same postal address, all of us the same. But because the way the law is written, I'm allowed to bring my hundreds of millions of dollars in here and then I can go buy all the real estate down in this very expensive area in Mayfair in London, which they do. They actually just bought a house. Uh Moshtebah from his coma bought a huge mansion across the street from the Israeli embassy in London a couple of months ago during the during the war, while the war was ongoing, you know. So it's like they see these laws, we wrote these laws, they know how to avoid them, and it's like anyone who's wanting to get something done, they're going to look at it and be like, how do I go over, around, under, or through this obstacle, just like any survivor would. And I think it would be a mistake for us to think they would look at that and be like, oh, I'm not allowed to do it.
Speaker 4: No, of course they're going to find a way to do it.
Speaker 3: How do you even know that it is public?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh wow, we see.
Speaker 5: The laws in the city of London are totally different.
Speaker 2: Well, you got a ton of Russian money too in London too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: London's a great target because they left the European Union. So a lot of the rules in the EU that prevented a lot of this activity do not apply in the UK, or at least they apply loosely.
Speaker 6: Hey guys, I'm Jack Murphy here at the team house, and today I want to tell you about the sponsor for tonight's show.
Speaker 5: Mars Men.
Speaker 6: This is a natural testosterone support supplement.
Speaker 4: I take it.
Speaker 6: I've been taking it for about the last five weeks now, and I'm starting to notice a difference. You take five of these pills each day, and each one of these cans last two a month. I think you need to use them for a couple months to get the full effect of them. But I'm about five weeks in and I'm starting to notice a difference. Already, increased energy, better performance in the gym, all of those things I've you know, quite frankly in the past had a problem with testosterone as a lot of military veterans do, as a lot of men who are going into their forties do. And this is actually something that seems to be helping me get my levels back up even higher. So I'd highly recommend checking them out. It has eight different substances in it that help boost your testosterone count. If you guys will go and check them out, we'd really appreciate it, so would the sponsor. For a limited time, our listeners get fifty percent off for life, plus free shipping and three free gifts at men go to Mars dot com. That's men go to Mars dot com for fifty percent off and.
Speaker 5: Three free gifts. When you check out.
Speaker 6: After you purchase, they will ask you where you heard about them. Please show support for the show and tell them that the teamhouse sent you. Thank you everyone.
Speaker 3: Well, they could change the rules.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's one of.
Speaker 6: The other problems with sanctions against Iran that you know, we've had various levels of sanctions in place against the Iranian since the nineteen eighties, and that I mean, I feel like we really tried to isolate Oran from the international economy to the extent that we were able to previously.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's not what we do with everybody. You know, We've done that with Venezuela, Cuba, like everybody except China, like we really like them for some reason.
Speaker 1: But well, if you follow Meerscheimer's theory of international relations, which I know, do you love Meersheimer?
Speaker 2: I used to like meher Scheimer a lot. I think he's lost his fucking mind as.
Speaker 4: Of went off the rails.
Speaker 1: But the concept is basically like, Okay, you've got this concert of nations and they all have their own interests. There are these black boxes interacting with each other, all out for their own interests, and if you isolate some of them, even for different reasons, they're going to seek each.
Speaker 4: Other out for support.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because these these states need support, they need international trade, they need places to put their money, take their money, all the stuff. It's not crazy to think that Iran, Venezuela, China, North Korea would become friends in this context, and it is kind of what's happening.
Speaker 2: Of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a fact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we're seeing go ahead, misar.
Speaker 3: So one thing I've started to hear more of. Do you think aron would even accept anything close to the JCPOWA again, like could we say okay, okay, I don't either.
Speaker 1: No, And especially because Hassan Rahani was the chief negotiator for that, and we're not the chief negotiat, but he's heavily involved negotiations for that, he has a nuclear background, he was the president at the time. Afterward, you know, it's kind of this this moment of daytont where the Iranian government was kind of opening up a little bit, kind of like Glass Noost and the nineteen eighties with the Russians kind of thinking like, Okay, we need to be a little more global now. But as you can see, there's a massive backlash to that in the regime and they were like, no, that was wrong. Look what it did to us, It harmed us. We're never going back. And even now they talk about Rahani being a trader, they talk about Amani Najad being a trader, which is crazy because Amana Nijad has like died in the Wall Revolutionary Iran. So like to hear some of these folks say that, I mean, it just shows how opposed they would be going back to something like that, which again they said was heroic flexibility, sacrificing to even accept this deal in the first place. There was a lot of like humiliation and shame within the regime decision making body to accept that in twenty fifteen in the first place. And look where it got them, you know, especially after twenty seventeen and eighteen when we withdrew from JCPOA, took them out of Swift again, which was the banking system in the world, forced them into the shadow banking system even deeper, which then hurt us. You know, So they see that as like a big mistake and they won't go back to that, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I know that. They're like, obviously the IRGC is not a trustworthy organization, Like I know that, but they're obviously very cunning negotiators and just in general very crafty. Why would they ever trust anything we have to say at a negotiation table because the last one that was like a real negotiation that was you know, it was going over the weekend and set to start on Monday. We bombed Iran and smoked like, you know, their top tier leadership.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and we had an mu that lasted how long, right, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean forty eight hours or whatever it was.
Speaker 3: Short, it seems like Secretary of Rubio is getting more involved. I think that's a good thing. I think he's very experienced, and because whoever did the draft of that MoU that failed miserably, it was so vague that it was a waste of time, and it probably Tod's point. I think it's going to make actually solving this more difficult because now they don't even they don't and potentially we don't believe each other at all, even after written in signatories and signing it in France and all this other stuff. We're gonna have to We're gonna have to get the professionals involved in negotiations, so we're gonna have to actually stick to our agreement, or the whole negotiation process is going to be just considered window dressing, like both sides are doing it because it doesn't commit him to anything, and the rest of the world's eventually going to figure out it's it's simply not going to end. So whatever impact is going to have on the international energy markets or stock markets, it's just gonna have because they're going to stop listening to on the verge of negotiated settlement or we're on the verge for massive. I mean, they're just gonna say that's just like Charlie Brown's teacher talking right now. It's just not it's just noise. Because we get to the verge of all these things and then like I think right now, correct me if I'm wrong. But the last night checked was we were going to do massive escalation. We heard that he had approved it, and now we're not because there's some framework that's agreed to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but we So I wanted to mention that because like that's part I missed in the beginning. We introduced that framework last minute. It wasn't a ran being like you know what, like let's talk so like this whole build up over the last week about this massive you know, bombardment or this campaign for two weeks frankly seemed like a bluff and like we it's it's not like it's the first time. A couple of weeks ago it was the same thing, like there was to talk about a bigger escalation and stuff like that, and then Trump suddenly stopped it. Like how many times can you do that before it's like shit, or get off the pod. This isn't gonna work, And clearly it didn't work. This time, because it wasn't like Iran was calling up and saying, hey, let's let's talk about this, like we gave the cutteries a deal to give to Iran and then we paused the you know, the air strikes.
Speaker 1: But also seems the Saudi's played a big part in this. I mean, we all saw that MBS called Trump. But I think you know, over the weekend Saturday, in fact, Kuwait was hit by drones. There was a ship that blew up off the coast of Oman. So there's a lot of kinetic activity that's concerning to golf countries, to the GCC countries. And I think it's not just NBS, it's other golf countries. Obviously the kuwaitis because they got attacked yesterday, but others calling up the US and saying hey, please tone it down, or even to Iran as well, if it's Qatar and Oman asking Iran please tone it down, because you're affecting our situation here locally, because it's the regional concern too. It's not just an international conflict, although it is. But for the GCC countries, they're very concerned about the here and now, like what they can see right off their coastline, and that's that's their their lifeblood, the economy that flows out of there, And the longer that there's under attack, the less they can return to the status quo, which if they ever could, I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: So an interesting point somebody brought up on the Egypt attack more tactical, I suppose, But there's a view that it might have been launched from like a maritime platform, right because the Shahad even like the one thirty six, This person explained, the travel from like western Iran to get there would have taken hours, It would have gone over multiple countries. It would have if it would have been launched by the houthis still same thing would have gone like the entire length of Egypt. So where did it come from? I'm sure, I'm sure the intelligence courunity is looking for the answer, but it's likely didn't come from either. Are those two places? So are they starting to use like clon dustine maritime platforms that they can launch and then skied out but diet closer to things like Egypt? Right, So there's Suez canals are too, right? Is that going to be challenged? Is is this something we should be looking at?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: You think about the dows that they use.
Speaker 1: Already, The Houthies use these the you know part of it, and dows are these small wooden craft, very small boats that are very hard to detect, that actually make up a lot of their non standard maritime capability, not only Iran but also the Houthis and in Somalia as well. Isn't their concern along the Horn of Africa region all the way up into the Red Sea, up and down the hundreds of kilometers of coast of Egypt. There, it wouldn't be difficult to get a dow that can hug the coastline, popping along the coastline, keeping it in view, you know, about ten miles off the coast, just moving all the way up until they get to a point where they can launch that shut head with that they had hidden underneath the you know, the underbelly of the doo and then skid out a lot of the way or continue on as if they had just been, you know, trading up and down the coast like they have for centuries. It's very hard to track these these dows, and I think it's a major concern from a nonstandard maritime perspective.
Speaker 2: Yea, I wanted to say something.
Speaker 6: I think I was just gonna add that, you know, there's this sort of like, you know, wishy washy sort of conversation that I don't think a lot of people want to have or here, but the question of credibility and the question.
Speaker 5: Of hard power versus soft power.
Speaker 6: And I think this administration's approach has been you know that soft power doesn't exist. That's not a real thing. Everything is about hard powers. We have more guns than you do, and there's a certain amount of you know that that holds true to a certain point.
Speaker 5: And I think we're seeing that right now that you.
Speaker 6: Know, we need diplomacy, we need diplomatic pressure, we need all these other things, and just relying on air strikes as a method of hard power to lead into negotiations. I mean, I think we just don't have the credibility. That's what sort of you were saying. D That, Like, we go back and forth and back and forth, and at a certain point people just don't believe what you're saying anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like that old story about Vietnam, or the US colonel says, you know, we won every battle. Yeah, and the Vietnamese colonel said, that's both true and irrelevant. Like we do have the most guns, the biggest guns are the best guns and the best military. I think even Iran will probably say, yeah, gotcha, and right now it's not that relevant.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: So the issue I think is we've got to have better policies. Better policy makers make better policies. And I'm not making this partisan, but this is this has been something that's gone through multiple administrations now, you know, and meeting Democrat and Republican and you know, when's the last time we've really came out successful, Say, winning a war is a it's kind of hard to find, right, but being successful for having gone to war like for the country. You know, I'm obviously biased, but it's not the military's fault. They're told to do something, to do the best they can, They're told to expand they're told to this and it is the actual decision makers, whether they are both sides of the aisle need to stop relying on the fact that we simply have the best military, that they can do anything they want, even if the policy itself is flawed. They can't necessarily make up for bad policy, is I'm getting And then again, that has been decision is over the last I mean, when's the last time we had accessful military.
Speaker 1: Endeavor Operation Anaconda and then we continued after October two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say Grenada.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, well, I mean I think that like if you look at Desert Storm, right, it was limited in scope, it had a clear objective, and we stopped there. So I know a lot of people, oh, what is it even a war? Well, that's the point.
Speaker 5: That's the point.
Speaker 3: You know. The point isn't to have a long drawn out war. Everybody gets you know, combat action rivets. The point is to win and be successful with our policy. So it might have been one hundred hour ground war, but that's what we want because it was a clear set objective. The military uners said what it was politically, strategically, and how to accomplish it, the accomplishment, and then they were done. There wasn't no expansion, there was no fish and cree. We didn't rebuild the country anyway. So that's a bigger issue that I don't we can solve here on eyes on, but they I guess my grand point is just because we have the biggest military doesn't mean we can fixed flawed policy decisions, and.
Speaker 1: On your soft power note, I mean, look at China. They are maximizing soft power in a way that is globally.
Speaker 4: Successful and has been. And it's not a secret either.
Speaker 1: They're very vocal about this is our goal. We will set up this stuff around here, We'll publish these documents that say these things about what we're going to do, and then they go do it, and then we're like, oh my gosh, they're setting up police stations in Solomon Islands. It's like, well, they said they were going to do that like years earlier, and they're doing it right now.
Speaker 2: I mean they have it them in New York. They have like these unofficial police stations in Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: They had one in Texas and the constant closed because they were doing that.
Speaker 2: Wait exactly, John, I'll do a way better job of this than me.
Speaker 1: So they're basically enforcing China's laws inside the United States using these clandestine police stations with actual Chinese domestic police in out of the embassies. The embassy I don't remember if it was Houston, it was one of the major cities in Texas during the first tim administration, was closed because of this reason. There's one in California. There's one in New York City. The New York City one's huge, and they're actually like going out and enforcing Chinese laws inside the United States, so.
Speaker 3: On Chinese citizens in Chinese the bulbs.
Speaker 1: So they're using that pressure campaign that you know, the MSS the the Chinese Ministry of State Security does as well, where they'll say, hey, you're of Chinese origin, or you're Taiwanese origin, you're gonna either work with us or we're gonna do something to your family in whichever place they are, and so on, or actual Chinese citizens who are here doing things, dual citizens or even visitors, they enforce laws against them as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's soft power, yea, yeah, it doesn't get any like, yeah, it's pretty incredible. Where do you guys think this goes? I mean, we're kind of like in this fucking like nebulous like purgatory area where the all right, we're not gonna bomb them now. Doesn't seem like there's a lot like real deal talks. Maybe some backschanneling and stuff like that, but frankly, we all know what the issue is, and uh, you know, I don't see Iran giving up their stranglehold on the horn moves. So right, so where do we where do we go from here? Is it still more? Are we gonna do this two week campaign from San Colum Commander Bradley Cooper or like that's gonna go where? You know, arguably it's could be work. You know, hitting infrastructure could be looked at it as war crimes. I know that some of them are dually use and stuff like that, but like, what does that do if we start talking about it again, if we actually go through it. What does that do if like a Rand starts retaliating, hitting Israel, hitting our bases continuously, We're still at the same fucking place, and then gas is likely ten dollars more per per barrel, So if not more, because at some point, you know, China was doing a little bit to like kind of alleviate the global crew price, but they've since stopped doing that. So at some point, like someone's gonna have to pay for this fucking check, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, it does sound like we're going to focus on infrastructure targets because I imagine there they've assessed it. Look, we've hit all a lot of military targets and it's not changed their perspective. So I think you're right about the issue of international law and whether this is clear under the law of arm conflict. It has to have a serious nexus to their military capacity. But say, for argument's sake, it does. He still doesn't negate the fact that they have a vote and they're going to counterattack, right, So if we hit extree main energy generation facilities, they would have major impacts on the people as well, of course as the regime, and they're going to course do the same thing dur all the golf allies. So I imagine the golf countries are super concerned because power desalinization. It would have a bad impact on Iran. It would have a catastrophic impact on Kuwait, Qatar, Uae, Saudi Arabia. I mean, they have a population that can't necessarily exist there if they don't have the capacity to make water. Like how long could you go without water? Was it three days? What are you gonna do with the population if you've run out of water? And I don't know the details of how, but we do know how reliant they are on it and SODA's Iran, and I'm sure they've made an assessment of how they can actually overwhelm their system. And what's the other issue on escalation, It's the lack of interceptor vessels, right, So it's you got kind of a perfect storm. So we hit them, they hit our allies because we don't have the adequate enough of protection and it causes catastrophic humanitarian issues.
Speaker 2: Just like for the numbers, Like in terms of patriots, we started off with twenty four hundred in the region, we're down to eight hundred. FAD missiles we had four to fifty, we're down to two fifty, so we have a thousand, a little bit more than a thout. We're gonna start using SM six is from the Navy, like more eight million dollars six million dollar interceptors to knock down these fifty thousand dollars drones. Like how is that cost effective? Forget about the fact that people are fucking dying obviously, Like that's the first and foremost we should think of that, But how does that make sense on our end? Especially like we spoke about it last week or a week before, Like how many patriots can we actually build a year? We can't resupply what we have, not not in this quick a timeframe. So like we're gonna it's this the ice creams running out? Well, what happens when it is no more?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 1: The other problem is that Iran is not just a static adversary. They're adapting and learning from how we are employing our air defense systems and the Hebar Chakhan, which are Shakastan. It means like Habar destroyer. Habar is a place that there was some Arab Jews during Mohammad's time. Mohammad ran them out, and they've named currently this missile after that episode from the Quran, and this is what they're using to attack Israel, Jordan and some further targets. It's a medium range ballistic missile and it's very advanced because it's able to actually adjust itself as it comes down on its lower trajectory. And they've actually noticed how our air defenses work and they've adjusted that adjuster to better work inside of our air defense envelope, so they're able to actually overcome it. And that's actually the weapon they used in Jordan a few weeks ago, not the most recent one now that was intercepted, but before that that actually did strike.
Speaker 4: And kill Americans.
Speaker 1: I saw some people saying like oh, you know, these these targets have been on the map for many years, that's on Google Maps. It's like, yeah, but you don't know where the actual people are at that moment. But if you're using cigant and you're using adwear exploitation, which is what they actually used to strike some Americans elsewhere in the Gulf, they're using that to try and figure out the ten digent grid for where to actually strike and kill Americans. And they're doing it really well, and they're learning each time how to do it better. And it's it's dangerous for us to view them as a static adversary that's just sitting there launching ballistic missiles, which is part of what they are doing. But they're doing it carefully and thoughtfully each time in a way that they're trying to improve casualties and harm toward Americans. And I think that's something that we shouldn't forget to.
Speaker 2: Like, isn't this stuff we study about asymmetric warfare? Right Like it seems like they are winning in that right now by a lot. Because if we're spending four million bucks for a Patriot missile on a fifty thousand dollars jahedrone the cost benefit analysis isn't there exactly, It doesn't really make sense. I'd love to know if, like where are we obviously it's probably classified, Like where are we with a lower cost interceptor system that is actually actually makes sense in this scenario or most scenarios.
Speaker 6: So how there's there's all kinds of counter UAS systems and things that are being developed and all sorts of different technologies, like it's a huge endeavor, but like this is like the basic problem that the US military has had since nine to eleven is that we were built to have these big slugfests with the Russians and then we end up fighting counterinsurgencies or you know, another state actor like a Ran that you know, uses asymmetric tactics, and we have this bespoke military gear that costs billions of dollars that's countering as you point out, you know, a drone that costs you know, ten thousand dollars, And so the ROI just doesn't really make sense.
Speaker 5: Over the long run. You know, in approach conflict.
Speaker 2: There's like, aren't weren't patriots designed to shoot down fucking megs and soukhoys And no, patriots.
Speaker 5: Were designed to shoot down like ballistic missiles.
Speaker 2: Or other ballistics. Okay, but in these ballistic missiles are like expensive, so most likely they're going to be like dollar for dollar at least close to it.
Speaker 3: That's why the equation used to work. Right, And we have like so, I mean, folks that follow the show, we have Lobo as a training facility, channing testing facility to Montana. I know that the DoD because they have a hub at Montana State University and they're working with us, are basically looking for companies that claim they can do this and testing them like this has become like the Manhattan Project I think of today is what Jack is just talking about, Like, we got to figure this out fast because this isn't going to work. The current basically dynamic is not acceptable. So I will at least hear about it because we're not we're not a company that does this stuff, but we're a company that hosts the testing. Hopefully it happens really quick. But I throw it back to you guys, I mean we know the iron beams in operation, though, right is it? How's it if you know? If you don't, sorry for asking, how's it being rolled out? Is it being successful? Is it the kind of what we hoped that you could use a relatively inexpensive defensive system to shoot down even in you know, more expensive incoming threats, and are we exploiting it? It is a US version of what are we doing to maximize it?
Speaker 1: The thing with air defense is is if you look at usually in the military, you'll see a chart that has different air defense intercept points at which which tool can intercept which air defense item at which altitude and which speed. And the problem with iron dome and iron beam is that they actually are designed for a very narrow intercept envelope different Not only that, but it has to be coming at a specific trajectory. So for example, if you have a weapon that is too fast like a hypersonic missile, it won't even detect it. Or if you have a weapon that's too low and slow, it also won't detect it because the radar cross section doesn't make sense to it as far as what is an adversary item and what is not, so it can actually target specific like kind.
Speaker 4: Of pie piece, right, So you need other tools.
Speaker 1: That's why the THAD is important. That's why the Patriot is important, and actually Patriot and iron dome work well together because they covered very different sections of the air intercept space. Without getting too technical about it, but if you know, people can just look it up online. There are these graphs that show you you need like five minimum different types of air defense systems to actually cover like eighty or ninety percent of the sky. That still leaves a ten percent gap. And that's not even counting for asymmetric uses of these weapons and new tools that are used in different ways than they were initially expected. For example, the anti ship missile that the Huthis have, that's a direct fire weapon that's supposed to go from a launch pad on the Earth to a ship that's not just designed to be an air weapon coming down right right, but the Hoothies are using it as that. So that's something to think about when when these tools are designed, they're designed for specific weapons at specific times, nultitudes and so on. So it's a concern that we just can't cover the sky enough.
Speaker 4: And that's true. I mean even with a sea ram.
Speaker 1: If you've seen video of sea RAM, it's very good at shooting stuff down, but doesn't shoot everything down, and you don't have an unlimited supply of munitions there on the ground. Maybe you've got stuff in theater, but if the enemy knows what your actual saturation point is based on their testing of your air defenses, they can figure out that, hey, we can actually oversaturate you. And Iran did that when they attacked Israel a little while back. They did get weapons inside and hit the ground, hit targets because it was a saturated air defense environment.
Speaker 2: Jack, if you're a journalist, give me a ask a question.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, I'm not to be like unhelpful or unconstructive, but like, we've done certain things here in this campaign against Iran that not be taken back or undone, and I feel like we have kind of run ourselves down into a cold de sac from a policy perspective, and it's an imperfect example, but you know, Vladimir Putin did the same thing in Ukraine. He ran his country down into this kind of cold de sac that he can't return from. And you know, Nick pointed out, you know, maybe we have to take some eat some humble pie on this one. But you know, then there are personalities involved in all of this, and this administration doesn't particularly do humble very well.
Speaker 5: So I have you know, I wish I had answers.
Speaker 6: I wish I could like give you some sort of prognosis of like where all this is heading. But unfortunately, I suspect it's a stalemate that's probably going to run through the rest of this administration and the next guy is going to have to figure.
Speaker 5: It out, come to some sort of peace treaty or something.
Speaker 3: That's probably the case. And you know, and I agree, like, this isn't about just throwing mud, right, Like it's easy to you know, any war, to just throw a mud. It's it's super easy. So it is about at least I think our discussion always is about how to advance us interest, So it isn't It isn't just point poking somebody in the in the eye. But it's really difficult to see a way out of this that's not just a stalemate, Like escalation doesn't seem to be just if you listen to the reporting on the assessment an option even though we might do it so but we can't accept failure, like we're not.
Speaker 6: I don't think right well, your point about the strait of her muse and the the highly enriched uranium is correct, Like I don't think we can accept that as a as a country to just like leave leave things as they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so maybe the other next administration, be it you know, Republican or Democrat, gets a new crack at this. But that's a long time to wait at the current circumstances.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's time for the America and our whoever's following this to kind of under like kind of come to the come to the realization that we've broken it kind of beyond repair. And you know, I would argue, are there's some people that would argue because it's arguable for sure that like is even being involved in this thing with Iran right now in America's interests thankfully, you know, we live here, so our gas prices are higher, but it's not like it's not to the point of like what you see is going on in Europe and everywhere and uh Southeast Asia, but you know it does affect our economy in some sort of way.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And would it makes sense to like disengage, I'm not saying completely, you know, still be around to whenever ices pops their head out to fucking chop it off.
Speaker 3: But but what would that do though, like they're still con was straight on home mooz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's gonna be the new reality on the ground. I mean, unfortunately, like I hate to admit it, but uh, you know, we knew this was going in like for thirty forty years, that this is what likely would happen if we attacked Iran, and it's happened pretty much, probably to the book. Maybe maybe a little bit more like people were a little bit more surprised that they were attacking our bases and our allies in the region as much. But we knew Horrmuz was on the table. That's why George W. Bush, when he probably had the most political capital ever when he went into Iraq, those that early first six months maybe could have pushed it. But that's why no other administration ever did that, like attacked Iran, because they knew the fallout would be rough and even it I would argue it would have been rougher for them to go in because we weren't so energy independent at that time, but now we relatively pretty much are, even though it's a global market and everything like that. But uh, yeah, I think unfortunately, I mean I don't want to say, like, you know, Iran's gonna win this one, but.
Speaker 3: They probably will go total nuclear.
Speaker 2: Weapon right of course mentioned that, Yeah, we engage. Yeah, if you read John's incredible book A Ranch Shadow Weapons, their number one thing is not exporting revolution. It's not any of that. It's regime security. And the ultimate regime security is having you known a dozen nukes. No one's gonna say shit to you ever again. You see North Korea. The guy's a fucking lunatic.
Speaker 6: There's something I would like to ask you guys about that I've read and heard. But you know, it's a fascinating kind of thing to think about and to look at because it's not something that they really it's not a theory that they teach in college. This idea that the administration is waging this war in a manner to I guess you could say game the markets. That they're doing these like weekend bombing campaigns when the stock exchange is shut down and then calling them off. And I mean that's do you do you guys feel that that's true, that that's the approach that they're taking. And if so, I mean, how does that impact our warf I mean, I don't think we've ever fought a war quite like that before.
Speaker 1: I think one thing to recognize is that even if it whether it's true or not that they're doing this consciously to exploit the market, the market is an efficient organism and it's going to adapt in ways that make the most benefit out of the situation. So every time that this occurs, the market as a whole general information collective adapts to the situation and there are new benefits to be created and extracted from that behavior, like, for example, this weekend, the announcement that the attacks will happen, and then the de escalation. If you look at after hours trading, you can see the market responding to this as an organism, which is many many people's different decisions, including institutional investors and you know, quote unquote dumb money, which is everybody else, retail investors, all reacting to this situation in a way that creates value for some people to extract the value. So, whether it's intentional or not, there are people that are looking at this and saying, how can I the most out of this situation, And there are a lot of people doing that. Some of them are inside the administration, like the teleprompter guy that just got outed for making you know, insider trades based on things that he saw on the teleprompter that Trump was about to read minutes later. Right, So, there are actors out there, whether it's intentional as a policy or not, who are saying, hey, this is my shot to make some money, and that is insider information. And it's very difficult to go after when the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and the CFTC are got regulatory capture with the current you know way of comming about the economy.
Speaker 2: John, You're getting me fucking crazy saying these things. Right now, you said, just consuit, don't get the don't get the fucking lefty out on you, because they fucking gutted that fucking agency.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, like Polymarket and Kelshi can't really be regulated very well because those like CFTC and CFPB and FTC, first of all, they can't figure out who's the one that's supposed to regulate insider training on those markets.
Speaker 4: Right, They're like they're infighting with each other about that.
Speaker 1: And there's also not a lot of political will to answer the question.
Speaker 2: So and frankly, like a ton of a dozen states or more have filed fucking seasons assist lawsuits against Calchia and poly Market the Better Exchanges because like DraftKings and and fan duel. They've gone through the state legislator to get approved for for to operate in that state in Calshi and poly market just because it's a prediction market. Bullshit is uh can do it anywhere federally, right, So they a lot of states file seasoned desists or file charges, and the DOJ is actually fighting on the side of Calchi and poly market against the states, Like it's fucking crazy. It makes no sense. John got me triggered. This is John's fault. Everybody and also happens to be a strategic advisor or whatever. Somebody like on the board getting paid from this is Donald Trump Junior. Yeah, so okay, that's it. That's my lib rant for the week.
Speaker 3: When does it the statements, whether their manipulation or not, just simply not work because they're they're not on the market.
Speaker 2: It's a good.
Speaker 3: Market on an energy market, right because yeah, at least and I'm not an financial guye, but like, if you're looking for futures on the energy market, you actually need to be accurate, right, Like you can't just take a false statement that's designed to manipulate you and go with it. Is my question.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, I think, like for the insiders most likely, like the last week, there was a short position that was taken up on oil right right before the thirteen days of bombing were going on, and we stopped, and like somebody knew obviously that we were going to stop at a certain time, they took out a position and oil went up or dropped, or I think it dropped seven percent. So in that's seven percent, somebody made a fuck ton of money, especially if your BET's big enough.
Speaker 1: The other thing is these oil futures that you mentioned. Typically, if you compare oil futures and the bond market, there should be some correlation between how people think about the future for bond returns, because bond returns are based on future US government decisions and futures which are private decisions but also react to public choices that you know, the US foreign policy makes, and they're divergent in a way that is unusual right now, and they're actually converging back again. In other words, the market is ignoring what the government is saying to some degree and thinking it's less dangerous than it sounds, which is interesting. It's like you're saying it means, it means that the you know, the economy largely is basically adapting to this rhetoric and saying it's not as bad as it sounds, so we can just kind of continue on as usual. And if you look at the harmonics of the market of the futures reactions to all the statements that have been said since February twenty eighth, there's a dramatic decline in the reaction to those statements as time goes on.
Speaker 2: Can you possibly make the statement right, like you know, crying wolf, like, yeah, you can only do it so many times before like the market really like jumps or gold goes up or down.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's like Kim Jong un back in two thousand and six when they first or Kim Jong uh yeah, no, Kim Jong John Iel, sorry, Kim Jong Eel when he first in two thousand and six successfully launched a nuclear weapon test.
Speaker 4: Huge market reaction to that.
Speaker 1: But as time went on and the Kim family made more and more statements about nukes, there was less and less reaction globally in the markets to those statements because we realized that, well, they're probably not going to lauch nukes at anybody. It's just testing and its rhetoric, and it kind of dramatically declined. Even during Trump one, when there was a lot of changes in our relationship with North Korea that were being expressed, the markets still kind of put less interest in that, and you saw slower reactions to those statements, both positive and negative statements.
Speaker 2: Wow, so what happens next? Guys? You guys are the smart guys. Tell me Jack, you first.
Speaker 6: Didn't I already say, I can't really predict what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: I didn't hear that part.
Speaker 3: It's hard to predict predicting that we on ketch you right, Yeah, I know. I don't even know how to get on that thing.
Speaker 2: Well it's quite easy now, you could do it anywhere. And that's what I think.
Speaker 3: Anybody listens to us and then tries to predict Kelty, I.
Speaker 2: Mean they should listen to John. He's predicted some stuff. I should have I should have bet some stuff John was saying. I mean, he met he called it. But like I think, as when maybe we were leading up to it, not before the bomb started dropping, Like the mosaic thing's gonna happen, I Orgy, he's gonna take control. Uh, and there's not going to really be much central control over anything. Really, It's gonna be commanders in the field deciding what to do when they want to do it. He called that, you know, you called it on the fucking button. I don't know how you could have made money on that. Or we did text a little bit while I was going on who was going to be the next whoever? And you called it and I should have fucking bet it, and I didn't.
Speaker 1: I was also in an interview with somebody else and they asked me two days before the conflict started, They're like, what do you think is happening? Ut I think we're gonna go to Warren two days and we did.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, We're gonna start charging for predictions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like to subscribe, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get rich on KLSHI and you know from our predictions? All right quick before we get out of here? Are we just going to keep doing this over and over again for the next two years?
Speaker 3: That's where it's going. To Jack's point, I think that's where it's going. I mean, there's I don't think we can accept failure. And if there's a way to come up with a success, I hope we find it. But it's very difficult to see from here.
Speaker 1: I think inertia is a good word to use to describe what we see happening right now, because if there isn't a change in policy, if it's the same policy just amplified or reduced, it's it's the inertia of the operation continues moving in the same kind of general direction, which is the hardening of Iran's regime, the weakening of US influence in the region, the growth of Saudi Arabia as a power regionally, the decline of Israel as a power in the region. And one thing on the horizon we haven't talked about is the growth of Turkey also in the region, because Turkey has always had the dream of returning to the Ottoman control over these these places between today's Turkey all the way down to Yemen. They have always wanted that back. Airdowan thinks that he's out of Turk too, and you're going to see that expansion as well, especially visa VI or Israel. As Israel loses power in the region, Turkey will fill the vacuum, not Saudi Arabia. It's mostly going to be Turkey. So I think we should look out for that, especially in Syria, Jolani was not put there by accident. That was heavily supported by Turkey, right, Yeah, and you're going to see that with the Kurds across North Iraq and also in Syria, the way the Kurds have shifted position of Visa v.
Speaker 4: Turkey.
Speaker 1: These are things that off you know, Iran takes our attention, but it's important to have the context of what's around Iran and what comes the day after whatever, whether that's a treaty or whatever it is. But the day after that thing happens, what's next. You know, nobody just like stops moving. It's like musical chairs. They're going to continue rotating around, and it's important to keep focus on what are the things next?
Speaker 2: Boys pleasure as always, I want everyone to do us a favor, like subscribe if you're following us, if you're listening on on audio, you can subscribe, and like they're Jack Murphy's got a new book out called The Most Dangerous Man. It's an incredible book that links in the description of course John's books The Theory of a Regular War and the Ran Shadow Weapons incredible. Those links are in the description. We're waiting for Mixed Memoir to come out. I'm excited about that. Make the white Fish Security Summit, Yeah, I would love it. Till all fucking inside GB inside Ground Ranks tell us all Man the white Fish Security Summit. Check that out. That's happening end of February next year, twenty twenty seven, and his new podcast Pumping the Portrait Plied Stoicism. All those links are in the description and check us out on Patreon, Patreon dot com slash the team Ass. Guys, love you, thank you, Thanks everyone. Hello everyone. If you're hearing this you are not a member of the Patreon, you can get your hands on ad free episodes that come out early and you can ask us questions maybe we'll answer them. You can also watch the Team House podcast completely ad free and early, and you can also watch it live as we interview our guests. And it's the best way to support the channel, So if you can, if you're open to it, you can go to Patreon dot com slash the Teamhouse. That link is in the description. We appreciate the supporters and we hope you would consider being one. So it's Patreon dot com slash the Teamhouse. Thanks guys, attatatatatastasattattattattata