Speaker 1: A story about Christmas.
Speaker 2: It is titled Three Men by the outstanding American writer Willis Cooper.
Speaker 3: This is the tale of another Christmas, a Christmas thirty years ago. It is nineteen eighteen, and the Great War is over.
Speaker 1: War weary men are at last getting leave.
Speaker 3: Lee areas have been established in various parts of France, and men are from their stations.
Speaker 4: To these areas, there to rest and refresh themselves.
Speaker 1: For a brief period.
Speaker 5: It is Christmas Eve in the railway station of Deal Branch.
Speaker 4: The crowd is dense and compartments.
Speaker 1: On the train are scarce.
Speaker 4: A young British officers very songs.
Speaker 5: I'm looking desperately for a mental set on pro said, comes out my lambish year.
Speaker 2: I take it. Pardon you mean I can get into that one. I can get into that companion?
Speaker 1: Wait, will will miss you?
Speaker 2: Oh put, there's somebody in it now the trains will pull. Oh, thanks very much.
Speaker 4: I will another.
Speaker 2: Yes, the very Christmas to you too.
Speaker 5: Excuse him?
Speaker 2: Why, I mean, I've got to Venice's in the air of it. It's all right, would have venny. I can't talk to ruddy language, but it is not necessary to speak the reddy language.
Speaker 1: Misuse.
Speaker 2: Since I speak you girls after a fashion of the station mouth, I said you wouldn't mind have I stole myself in here?
Speaker 4: I should be delighted.
Speaker 2: Let me help you with your back out. That's all right, I'll I'll just sing it up on the wreck. There, I go and shop for the ah other. This is a bit of a wife.
Speaker 1: So clean too.
Speaker 2: I've never seen such a clean trail in France, and they probably scored.
Speaker 4: It out for Christmas.
Speaker 2: I am captains may rushboard to get squad numb the two hundred and twelfth Regiment until the shape there. Oh, I'm a lieutenant Hollis van Atano, the Australian night Horser. Are you going on leave, captain? Yes, I am not sure where yet. May stay like yeah, I never knows where he goes in this world. That's too arrive, and it's very good of you to show your compartment.
Speaker 1: I'm not emily too glad.
Speaker 2: It's being that of a lonely journey so far. I'm delighted at someone.
Speaker 5: To talk to. Uh.
Speaker 2: First class compartments aren't too easy to get hold of either. It has a bit cushier.
Speaker 1: This isn't it? Not too bad? Indeed you powdered me.
Speaker 2: I know, but uh, I am a bit killers to know how in Australia enough for else should find his way to be all farms. And then the fact I don't cart her myself kept in the uh guess confidence it yeah, yes, and young Ning is a balong team I I must sling member. Uh, but I was at Gallipoli, was a third art division and UH got a bit of a crack on the head.
Speaker 1: You know. First thing I knew.
Speaker 2: I found myself transferred to a village a few miles east of here, nothing but Americans in the time, the American that good soldiers say, oh that's lining.
Speaker 1: And now you.
Speaker 2: Find yourself bound for leave. On Christmas eve, cart her and jolly Glad offered to where.
Speaker 1: You going to? You know, a report of the art or a let barn. That's all I know.
Speaker 2: You have the same difficulties in your on me. I see one never knows where one goes. You are a long way from home, my friend. Yes, that's wrong, raally long way. How far the world you know? And you have come to fight for France. It's a good U mispeaking, Oh ben fum o he now he's over and nour young men my dead under the stars up there. Wait a minute, we lost a few too, are young men monsieur French and British and Australia and America.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: One cannot make the omlet without breaking the eggs. That's art, and the running a lot of good eggs too.
Speaker 1: For against con me.
Speaker 2: Ah, I wish the lasted time would start. There's always a mystery. Uh, they control these trains, particularly when one wishes to get somewhere in the holley. There's a chap in American uniform out there looking for the place. I say, sir, perhaps we could invite him in here.
Speaker 1: If you do not mind, well, I.
Speaker 2: Don't if it's so hard with you.
Speaker 5: He's a comrade.
Speaker 1: There was little room on the train.
Speaker 2: Now you are, oh Yang yang yang, Well that's why yang he comes. He head fuck start me picked now the briders back. And an officer too.
Speaker 1: I'm so.
Speaker 2: Well that the Americans have two divisions of negroes. They have many officers who are, as the Americans say, colored.
Speaker 4: Also, I've never.
Speaker 5: Seen one, all right, that's why yank.
Speaker 2: You know? Find if I ask him? And do you, my dear Valantine, why should one mind is he not a man and an ally and an officer? Do we dislike one another because I am French and Ustaunian. God damn, I'll know what the def differences that make ro cover of chet skinner.
Speaker 3: They oh, yeah, this roverywhere else?
Speaker 1: May come on in? Leave that rope for thank you. I'm afraid I was going to be left behind.
Speaker 2: Lands Valentine left an understray and not all.
Speaker 1: I'm a captain. No, you know the three other seventies the American.
Speaker 2: Infantry about it, captain and this is captain.
Speaker 6: Uh oh there.
Speaker 1: You'll have to help.
Speaker 2: I am captains may Rushbroude, Guest, Quaid and the French.
Speaker 4: I told they captain, welcome, gentlemen.
Speaker 1: I thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give me your muse that I'll shove it up on the right.
Speaker 1: I thank you with BENNI uh, it's good to get that thing off my shoes.
Speaker 2: See down, Captain Meldon, thank you.
Speaker 3: I've been standing around there all day long, on one foot and then on.
Speaker 1: Another, waiting. Finally when the train did pull and I thought I was still go understand that good of you to take me in.
Speaker 2: We are delighted right uh you know austral Lieutenant that's right from Adelaide. But I've lived in England for here. Where are you from, Captain Evan.
Speaker 1: I'm from Chicago.
Speaker 5: Oh and you, Captain get.
Speaker 2: Come Miaomi is in by Young. That's one night him.
Speaker 1: Sell for my name? Your name?
Speaker 2: Captains one G A S C O I G N E from Gascony.
Speaker 1: U see oh, I say you know, gentlemen, God isn't it here?
Speaker 3: We are three of us, one railroad coach bound for somewhere, and we've come from all.
Speaker 1: Over the world to meet on Christmas. Even tell you the truth, we don't even know where we are going, do you. I have the slightest idea leave area. That's all I know. Why are we?
Speaker 2: Might as well have a spot of Christmas chair, eh. I have a bottle of rather good wine and music so far not to be undone in this mate. And I also have a bottle of black We made Christie deals of Christ, the very precious one in these days, gentlemen. I do not bring them by how I came by it, but suffice.
Speaker 3: It to say I have it.
Speaker 4: We're about to stop.
Speaker 1: We are starting.
Speaker 4: Play.
Speaker 2: And that was a jolly happy crown there at the.
Speaker 1: Station water.
Speaker 4: Christmas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Christmas, despite the fact that most of them are wanted to get out of the town goes somewhere.
Speaker 1: M hm, that's Christmas. I was down in Texas and Camp Logan. I was in the hospital, I's say, and I ain't.
Speaker 3: I had dinner with the German gene General capture on Christmas Eve.
Speaker 2: Hi, gentlemen, will you drink with me?
Speaker 1: The pleasure sir?
Speaker 5: If you will link with me and with me?
Speaker 4: All right? That nights to uh to Christmas?
Speaker 3: Says uh.
Speaker 2: A mim is that somebody full of junk of allsorts. I was afraid I might have lost that bottle.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: The souvenirs, yeah, and silly toys and things that I pick up enough give them to some kids somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God knows they are few enough.
Speaker 2: And it gets to and manuset there there's no enough to my people to give them too. But it is a sentiment, a sentiment for Christmas.
Speaker 1: Yes, I suppose we all do that. My impact would I've learned this too.
Speaker 3: I didn't know if I'd ever get back to the outfit after this leave.
Speaker 1: So I got some souvenirs together.
Speaker 3: Another dak means I mean not now, Thanks God, I'll wait awhile I.
Speaker 6: Think I will too. Wait, it's a beautiful night clear, here's the wall was still on.
Speaker 2: I'd expect to hear someone shout lights out, Jerry up and have a lot of bombs landing on there. Hope we are done with that, mischiear, Amen, there's no moon. No, but look at the stars. I said, you see that one over there? Not even imagine it to the Star of Bethor very bright, isn't it he.
Speaker 1: Heed two thousand years ago?
Speaker 2: Well they are that same star still shines upon the ear.
Speaker 3: Well, if it does, we wouldn't know it, not we who quite wars and deny the name of the man that was born under it.
Speaker 1: There you were you were religious here? No, not at all? Loot in it A long way from it. I'm not religiously though.
Speaker 2: Oh used to have some jolly times as a kid at Christmas An church things and all that. You know, candulespay nay when it's not a religious saved. When one sees the star shining.
Speaker 1: Down on you, I wonder if that could be the star. And why not, my friend?
Speaker 2: Our earth changes, but the everlasting stars change. Not be funny if it is, wouldn't it?
Speaker 3: We?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: But our journey is long.
Speaker 2: Gentlemen, if you wish to sleep, you sleep your gift them. There's so little drink of wine has affected me.
Speaker 1: I fear and I keep my eyes open. I'm a little tired of myself standing around all day in that station and no place to sit down. Uh, I could always sleep unself. I opos then that we do.
Speaker 2: Sleep for a little while my friends.
Speaker 3: Uh, talking of sleeping, you've made me sleeping.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm all for it.
Speaker 6: So I turn out the lives if you will miss you, uh, pleasantly miss and.
Speaker 1: Why you know, ell.
Speaker 6: Y Christmas to you both, and in to you a little kind of Valentine that when that's going and the stars show a watch others this one the star that shone on back with him.
Speaker 2: You know, it seems that I have let you both be fucked somewhere.
Speaker 1: That's better job, my friend. I've how I was thinking this.
Speaker 3: Think Yeah I was too, but it wouldn't be one from friends, one from Australia, one from America.
Speaker 1: Wait, it is so.
Speaker 5: Good night, my friends, good night.
Speaker 2: Oh. When we have journeyed far were known man across valleys, mountains and devils get them my friends, did stime I promise us a sign. Are we to travel on like this?
Speaker 5: Whatever be not of faint heart?
Speaker 2: Out paser the end of our journeys at hand, the wind is bitter in a strange country, Oh Gospel, where I go a throe. For how many days now we traveled? I can no longer count, And that is dark.
Speaker 1: Gather.
Speaker 2: I'm tired, weary, and.
Speaker 1: Thy friend, laser, I would pain.
Speaker 5: Have faith my friends, out daser, milk your.
Speaker 4: Health haith.
Speaker 3: We hey, Oh a lead on gap where it all go? Where will we follow thee? Well, we'll be but three old men traveling in a strange country in the dead of light. Yet we know that thou art inspired of God, and that is hand that leave thee.
Speaker 2: Yet not even I know what miracle he will do before our eyes.
Speaker 3: No matter, we will follow on the road to death. Now which road takes the back to the right hand or to the left.
Speaker 5: I know not?
Speaker 1: With thou not call upon God gasper, I.
Speaker 2: Kneel down, breathin, Oh, Lord, Father God, he does thyself in the way that thou didst.
Speaker 5: Set out for us.
Speaker 2: For no, Oh, Lord Father God, that we are poor and our eyes no not the right and we would follow the way that thou.
Speaker 4: Wilt have us follow.
Speaker 1: Therefore we play thee humbly a.
Speaker 5: Miracle, American miracle. What sayest thou about face.
Speaker 3: And behold for a fallen from the Lord Father God.
Speaker 4: There is no sign of hold in the sky a fallen a star.
Speaker 2: But turn it brighter than all the stars of the heavens, Oh, Lord God, We thank thee.
Speaker 5: The way is before us.
Speaker 2: We follow thy will. But all guess the star shineth upon the back right than there forward forward brethern, for the end of our journeying is at time.
Speaker 5: This is a sign from God.
Speaker 3: Behold, for beyond the hill the life of a village.
Speaker 5: It is so.
Speaker 2: Now are we come to our destinas song. Indeed, haste, hey, oh travelers, O have you seen the star?
Speaker 4: Hoo, course, horror is the shepherd?
Speaker 1: See the flocks of sleepy on the.
Speaker 2: Road, thou, thy, travelers, No star, it's meaner. We have seen it, oh shepherd.
Speaker 5: Yet we know not its meanings.
Speaker 2: Say that the miracle of the Lord Father Gods lie on tors from the practice of the sky it sprang into blaze. Travelers, dost thou think it portends the end of earth?
Speaker 1: Nay, friend, not the end of her.
Speaker 5: Say, or rather it's beginning.
Speaker 3: What sayest behold a shepherd, the mandal of the Lord is upon him.
Speaker 2: Red he he speaks men that understand the workings of the will of God.
Speaker 4: Say, now, shepherd, how is yonder Fellows named?
Speaker 2: Surely you know what you've come to pass because of this star? How is it you know not the name of the town we have come from far lamsos?
Speaker 3: Ay, what does it matter if we know not such titles as the name of the village, when we do know of a miracle to be wrought, and the name of all Mighty God.
Speaker 5: I it is so what makers shall come to pass?
Speaker 1: It is hidden from our kennel, Shepherd.
Speaker 4: Yet it shall come to pass, fear not, aye, and.
Speaker 2: Such a miracle as shall set all the world to singing praises.
Speaker 6: He be not of Israel, Nay.
Speaker 1: I am from the lands of the Greeks.
Speaker 2: And these my companions be also from Phalans, nurture from.
Speaker 5: Ethio, and our pays of a wise man of Egypt.
Speaker 2: The sooth sail.
Speaker 5: Unto the king.
Speaker 1: He come fast, aye. So, since many.
Speaker 2: Days our feet have trod the pathways of hidden, unknown places.
Speaker 5: It always have we set our faces.
Speaker 2: Unto the east, obeying the bidding of a voice unheard, the guidance of a hand untold, we go now until the town.
Speaker 4: Thou hast not toldest of the name, saidas.
Speaker 2: Our men know that you, Anddertown is called the town of the House of Bread, even Bethlehem. Now this knight shall be born in Bethlehem, that Messiah, that very son of God, which the ancient prophets have foretold.
Speaker 5: And this is the miracle that shall come to pass.
Speaker 2: Or he shall be born of a virgin immaculate, and his name shall be Jesus called Christ.
Speaker 4: Oh, oh holy Man.
Speaker 7: May I not go with thee, seeing that I know is not the village, and I with my brethren were born there.
Speaker 2: Thou mayst come with us, But haste, hey.
Speaker 3: Behold the f hor it seemeth to meganis.
Speaker 2: Bring my burdens from my shoulders. Haste, hey, I marvel also that there should be lights for prod in the town. They are as passing late. Yet there is a light in every house.
Speaker 1: Pretense.
Speaker 3: The men are beth with him, rejoiced that the Messiah is all hey.
Speaker 2: Not so, for he is hidden from men, and they have bet for him know him not the way the feast of Knachy is but greatly over my masters, the feast of delights in memory of the Macubi. And this is the city, for even all the inns have that done? Know where we shall find him? Oh, gasper hath it been revealed unto they all.
Speaker 4: In good time?
Speaker 1: My friend, we follow the star.
Speaker 5: He behold, these be the worse of Bethlehem.
Speaker 2: O wise man, Hey, yonder liars.
Speaker 1: The gate pretense.
Speaker 3: The soldiers of the Techwok may refuse us admission into the city.
Speaker 5: Guests, Hey, they are gone.
Speaker 2: Away, mire cure, hey, they are lying the engine the public houses. And he corroused with the people of the towns, care for at all shore indeed, that we shall find him and death for him.
Speaker 5: Thus doubt the word of God, Baltaser.
Speaker 2: We must go on, but with a go with three Oh large gas, name me not, Lord shepherd, But we are all humble.
Speaker 5: Men in the sight of God.
Speaker 1: Praise God.
Speaker 5: Behold how the rays.
Speaker 2: Of the stars shine down upon this certain street. It is the way follow.
Speaker 1: One conquer by Hi.
Speaker 2: So hey, perchance, he bar man, whether go est thou thou send aside that I may pass right Thou Now the dying citizen. Even as thou I speak all of us for me, who in the great position, please said, thankst thou say that thou art here to no manifest the hell I am that I am all a threstler with the angel of death.
Speaker 1: Old I pray thee.
Speaker 5: As thou at ten woman this night that was brought to child.
Speaker 2: Who and how dost thou know that stranger will fast? Say I or nay?
Speaker 1: Ay I have done so?
Speaker 4: And look you now this.
Speaker 2: Night I have come upon a miracle, a very marble apology of nature. Speak of the marble that thou hast wisnessed man. And behold, not two hours have passed since one came post haste crying before my door about this almost noble surgeon, Oh savor of lives. Come down in haste a woman have need of thee in the stable, nigh am to the end of the two ocxen in the stable.
Speaker 1: I the stable.
Speaker 2: Now I am a man of charity, and always ready to answer the call when sick the stock of a broad. So I flung my cloak about me and went in haste, as it will become of the man of my age from girth. Yes, I am charitable, I say, and behold in yonder stable was a woman couched in the star of a manger, got to bed of a child. That surely meant women have been brought to bed of the child in stables before today.
Speaker 3: Aye?
Speaker 2: So, but mark me well.
Speaker 1: Now this woman was a virgin.
Speaker 2: Yea, I swear it by the holy flectric, by my father's beard. I swear it verily. A child born unto her, and she a virgin. Bad thou judt too much? If thy said post it neighbor, for thou I fall verily, hast thou stood before a miracle this night, a miracle instant of very Where is the woman thou didst that hender in yonder stable? The man that say they had come from a Nazareth in galery, who give us testimony to the tax collectors.
Speaker 1: And though they beseeched the.
Speaker 2: Innkeepers, yet none would give them room, saving only this one, who, having pity upon a woman with child, as saying to them they might find that amongst the kind of the stable, and.
Speaker 1: Didn't charge them.
Speaker 5: Not.
Speaker 2: Now, may all the blessings of God be on this innkeeper, or that he hath offered a shelter this night unto the Son of God. And what sayest and on the physician, or that thou didst slend thy hand unto her who is the very mother of him who shall be the savior of the world. And very I know not who thou, artful man, Yet I perceive that thou hast the gift of prophecy. The babe did look upon me with a look that I shall never forget. If thou dost speak soon, I am most blessed amongst men.
Speaker 4: Thine was the hand that first touched him. Verily art thou blessed?
Speaker 2: I thank THEE for thy grace. Friend, Go now inside the stable, Come my two good friends, and fall down and worship the infant Jesus, Son of God, which shall be called the Christ, praised unto him. Praise is unto the Son of God.
Speaker 1: Kay, I will not go in. I am that worthy may shepherd.
Speaker 3: There be none of us worthy to touch his hands, Yet there'll be none too humble to do him reverence.
Speaker 5: Come, I come, shepherd, Start waiting up a little.
Speaker 1: Who saddled all upon us to stop heleth before his glory may get behold.
Speaker 7: Behold in the sky a fi sign, Oh, Father, Lord God, the sign, the shape of a man crucified the pilot hous.
Speaker 4: Uh, valizer, Valentine.
Speaker 1: Just go, just star, try out on. Yeah, that's the matter. I was dreaming. I guess that.
Speaker 4: Where are we.
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 4: It was a dream.
Speaker 1: But I saw you too, You saw us. It's hard to remember. Did you did you dream of three men?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: Two gas Anchure, Gascon and Melvin the Leventine. Look at our clothes, look at our shoes.
Speaker 5: Hart of us?
Speaker 2: What straw.
Speaker 5: Saw from a stable? That fag of us?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 5: Gentlemen? I I have been in the east.
Speaker 4: I know what that smell is.
Speaker 1: It's more.
Speaker 5: And frankincense.
Speaker 1: That was three men. Written by Willis Cooper