Speaker 1: You're listening to episode seventy six of GameSpot After Dark. On this week's show, Gav Murphy of RKG joins us to talk about the new Indiana Jones game and the new Star Wars game. Hello, and welcome to episode seventy six of GameSpot After Dark. This is the Fallout seventy six special where we are only going to talk now, I'm just kidding. We're definitely not going to do that because everyone knows that this is the official Yakuza podcast. That's probably what we're going to talk about. In fact, I have inside knowledge that we will be talking about that. But anyway, joining me today is Lucy James.
Speaker 2: Hello to more.
Speaker 3: Hussein Boy and Gaf Murphy from RKG.
Speaker 2: Hello, thank you so much for having me on the podcast. Man, I'm very excited about this.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you for joining.
Speaker 1: I fully anticipate this to turn into like a yaka is a very British episode of GameSpot after.
Speaker 3: Arc, but I am.
Speaker 4: Here for it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the thing is like lots of people are like, oh, you know, like we listened to podcasts and we watch things to get ourselves through. It's like the thing I listened to this podcast because I get to hang out with two of my buddies, which is quite nice. It's like, this is two guys, but I listened to them on the podcast and be like, but then also I listened to it when they're not on it as well, so it's kind of strange as well. Yeah, I love this podcast, man.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're happy to have you on. It's it's taken too long, to be honest.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been like we've had it. You were on play for all of us last year as well. Yeah, but like it feels like four years ago now I know sus, I know man and like that that. Yeah, so we had your on video stuff and stream stuff, the all the elaborate stuff we've had. We've had you on our E three stuff.
Speaker 2: For a while yeah before that, but.
Speaker 4: We just haven't somehow done the podcast, which is like the easiest, the most basic thing. We skipped, like the we skipped the first stage to go to like stage ten to do everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: When I first saw it, when I saw you guys were doing something called GameSpot after Dark. The British people will know this, but there was a there's a crap soap in the UK called Hollyoaks and at one point they did a Hollyoaks after Dark, which was basically just the same show, but it was later at night and everyone got their bits out. When I saw game Spot after Dark, I was like, yeah, about time man, and by bits.
Speaker 4: We mean that genital is not like the Twitch currency.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The after Dark name just kind of came about because we literally couldn't think of anything else. I remember we had meetings with multiple people and we're all like, we're actually not gonna call it after dark. This is just what we're thinking now because it'll be like an after hour.
Speaker 3: Sort of show.
Speaker 1: And then it came down to it and it was like, we want to start this podcast and we don't have a name, and I think we just had that And apparently there was a game Spot after Dark at some point before that before this.
Speaker 6: But has been everything though, like we had on the spot, but now rooster Teeth have taken on the spot, so we can't take that back.
Speaker 5: I think I think games Podcast should go the other way and start naming themselves like video games, so it'll be like GameSpot Absolution.
Speaker 6: It should be GameSpot Revenge.
Speaker 4: And yeah, that is a great idea. Oh my god, I really want to do that.
Speaker 6: Wait, we can we change the subtitle every week?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the play SEO would love that.
Speaker 6: I was gonna say, I don't think iTunes would love the re submission every week.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I wouldn't want to do that.
Speaker 1: But anyway, normally we start with what we've been playing, but because we have a guest here, we are going to start with the Chris from Dayton, Ohio segment, Chris yav Who are you?
Speaker 4: What do you do?
Speaker 3: What's something that the folks at home listening should know about you?
Speaker 5: I don't know about should know hopefully will know by the end of this. I'm one third. The main thing is I'm one third of rkg, which is a very small YouTube channel one I run that I run with two of my buddies, Daniel and Rory. We used to work for IGN and we got known for playing Dark Souls, Bloodborne and all the from games, and we decided to leave and do it for ourselves about two years ago, well two years ago basically now this is our birthday right now. Yeah, So we started doing that. So you can find us on YouTube. We're on Patreon where we.
Speaker 2: Do a lot of extra stuff.
Speaker 5: We have one of the best communities in the world, I think, so that's pretty good. They've been amazing for the last couple of years because obviously, like usually for our birthday we do loads of big things like a big live stream and stuff like that, but we haven't been able to do anything so because like what's really strangers starting your own company and then going into a pandemic in the second year, and we were like, what do we do?
Speaker 6: I mean, your community, Tim and I have both been on arcade like various ARKG videos here and there, and every time or even even if I'm just in a tweet with you guys, like your community is so nice and respectful and like just full of bands. Yeah, you guys, you guys drive the band of us and they just like so happy, such happy passengers who like spread it up driving.
Speaker 4: When people say we want to we want to set an example and be like, you know, show the community how to you know, behave the best example of how to do it, and when it works, what happens is archag like because the community is a reflection of you guys to me, because because I know you guys, like we're close friends, we've been friends for eighties and when I'm in that community, it feels like this is just a bunch of GAVs and Rory's and croopers and like they were just like they have their own personality as well, and they have their own thing going on, but like the values are reflected, and it's like, I mean, if you, if you, if you're listening to this and you don't really know the community and you're a good person, don't be wrong, and highly recommend going over to RKG stuff and checking it out and letting them know where it came from. It it's such a nice place to be as well.
Speaker 6: One of my favorite things is Rory on TikTok and you can see the RKG community like has blown up on TikTok a few times, like he's got a really good series about he's making a Sea Monkey Army, And it's really funny if you go in the comments of that, because you'll always see the RKG, like the RKG community because they always post like Michael.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Michael, Michael, mich Michael. And like I was in a kind of funny stream the other day and people were talking about Rory's inability to do things in Soul's games, Like they were talking about Michael Zaki and there's there's r KG jokes everywhere now and it's bizarre because like it was wild because it was a kind of it was Greg playing Bloodborn for the first time and it was like and like Blessing was playing Securo and people are like, everyone knows Rory can't parry, and I was.
Speaker 2: Like, what, it's good man.
Speaker 5: It's it's like it's a really small community, but they are loud, but in a nice respect you You're right, it is a nice respectful way. It's strange because like we've been going for so long, but we have no mods or admins or anything like that.
Speaker 2: We never really needed it.
Speaker 5: I think half of it is out of respect, half of it is out of fear.
Speaker 2: But it's yeah, it's good man.
Speaker 4: It's the thing that you just you said this a couple of episodes of shield Up, which is your podcast to go, and it really really like cemented how I feel about the community. I think the r KG community is the only community on the Internet that I'd allow my mother to join and be because I know everyone's just going to be respectful.
Speaker 5: I shot myself recently because we have like a like a running well.
Speaker 2: I don't. Rory has a running joke with he compares various from.
Speaker 5: Monsters to my mom and like the Gaping Dragon. I think was the first time he was like, h we came across the Gaping Dragon's like, oh, I don't know your mum was in this.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a classic joke.
Speaker 5: That's an amazing joke, and obviously every game he kind of does it. And then my mum and my sister were watching our Halloween stream and they jumped in and I my mom was in the comments, and I was like, oh my god, and I was.
Speaker 2: Just you know, that was like one of the biggest streams we ever had.
Speaker 5: There was like twelve hundred people watching there, and I was like, oh my god, Oh my god, one of them is going to call it a.
Speaker 2: Gaping dragon or something now. But everyone was like, hello, missus Murphy, how are you. It was so nice and respectful.
Speaker 5: And then she was like, okay, I'm I'm going to bed now, and then she left and then they were.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't know then at the beginning, they were so respectful.
Speaker 5: So yeah, they're amazing people, man, They're really really good.
Speaker 6: But I mean, honestly, one of the things I loved was when we did the play for All stream and seeing like the after Dark Discord community and the RKG community like slow like just kind of being like reaching out and being friends, which is really nice because like similarly to the like the games for discords, just full of such nice people, like like just having such pleasant conversations and being kind to each other and up lifting each other. Yeah, so basically basically it's like it's like when you have two friends that you want to get together and you're.
Speaker 2: Like against each other.
Speaker 4: I like it should probably answer the other questions in the Chris from Day and Ohio segment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, considering this is a video game podcast, like what are some of your favorite games or games you return to all the time every year?
Speaker 5: I was actually someone talked about this recently because I've been lucky enough to be part of a BBC podcast that's been going for the last couple of months, and as part of that, every person that comes on gets to do this section, which is whole of game where they pick one game that they would put in a kind of like Desert Island disc sort of thing with it's just one video game you had to play forever. And I thought about it for so long, and I was like, I think hot Land Miami, I think is my favorite video game because.
Speaker 2: I just the way, the way that I.
Speaker 5: Came to that game was like a really really nice way where there's this thing called EGX, which you guys will know about, maybe j you don't know, but it's like it's basically like a big it's now packs and shit like that, but it used to be a lot smaller, and it was in London and it was just years and years and years ago, and I used to basically go down, not really go to the show, but it was like a really nice community drinks afterwards in the pub.
Speaker 2: And I went down and it was like one guy was just like, have you played Hotland Miami?
Speaker 5: And it was the first preview that anything had been shown ever and I was like, no, I don't know what that is. And they were like, just go over there right now and player, go over to EGX right now and play. I was like, no, we're at the pub and stuff. He was like, doesn't matter, just go over and play it. And I was like really and he was like yeah, okay. So I went over and then played it, and I just I don't know. I don't remember ever feeling like that about any other video game before, just feeling like it's like a perfect mix of like tone, atmosphere, music, scripting, story in like this tiny little preview, and then came back and it was like this weird thing is like you could see the look on everyone's eyes, like you could pick out genuinely who'd played Hotland Miami out in this publy, like did you put.
Speaker 2: Out my miamiy? Yeah I did, And then you'd be like what is it? What's it gonna be? And stuff like that.
Speaker 5: But I think like Hotland Miami is probably my favorite game that and I thought about this recently. The new God of War I think.
Speaker 2: Is my favorite as well.
Speaker 5: I just I don't know, I connected with that game in a way that I didn't think I was going to. I just kind of fell in love with it. And obviously, but I mean, we built our entire company on from Soft Games, and I famously never played once.
Speaker 2: I think I've played.
Speaker 5: I mean the most I've ever played was we did we did a video seeing if we could finish Dark Souls on a plane on the flight back from LA to London. And that's the most I've ever played Dark Souls.
Speaker 4: I think really that video is absolutely incredible and everyone should watch it.
Speaker 5: That's kind of what I'm more upset about COVID sort of fucking us, is that's the stuff that we want to make, you know, like we make, let's know, some stuff, but like we're in this to make cool ship like that because we can and we know that that's what people like. And we had so many plans for these big videos. Man that obviously the RONA is just absolutely shafted, but there we.
Speaker 4: Are, hopefully. Gav was one of the few people who who's been inside from software.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, and walked in walked in yeah once legally once really illegally.
Speaker 2: I literally broke into from so.
Speaker 1: Story quickly, Well, hold on, did you learn anything about Eldon Ring?
Speaker 4: Because we're desperately This was.
Speaker 5: This was before Bloodborne, man, this was like okay. But basically I was on holiday and I was it was after a particularly bad breakup, and I was on holday in Japan, and I was with some buddies but we'd split up for like six days because they went somewhere else and I was just in Japan by myself and feeling particularly sad and down and hungover and jet lagged and.
Speaker 2: Didn't you know that jet lag where you don't really know what's going on.
Speaker 5: And I was having breakfast and I was like, I wonder where from because what.
Speaker 2: We've just done do souls three?
Speaker 4: I think?
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh, I wonder where. I wonder where it is.
Speaker 5: And I realized I was like a twenty five minute walk away from there. So I was like, I'll just go and take a photo outside and like posted that. So I went took a photo outside and I was like just you know, just tweeting and stuff. And it was when Instagram stories had just started, which probably makes me sound really old, but I was like six years ago, so it's not that old really, So I just mess around with that. And then I was like, okay, I'll go inside to the foyer. And it's obviously like if you've ever been to a Japanese company, it's not like you go in huge campus or anything. It looks boring as hell. And I walked in and then it was like, no one stopped me from getting in the left. Then no one stopped me from going to the floor, no one stopped me from going in the office, and it was this mad thing where I was like, I managed to get inside the office, but I think they just shipped the Dark Souls three DLC, so there was obviously just nobody. There was walking around looking at people's computers and shit like that, like it was so illegal.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: I love the idea of it being exactly like a from software area where you walk in no one's around. It's slightly dangerous. You need to pick up like items and figure out where everyone is.
Speaker 3: It's only like years late text appearing in front of you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it was only like years later.
Speaker 5: I remember speaking to a buddy at Sony and she was like, yeah, that was a thing that day and I was like, really, it's like because I only just started working for IGN at that point and she was like, yeah, you know I was getting emails being like some of from IGN has broken into FROM.
Speaker 2: I was like, so sorry.
Speaker 5: That that was a thing you had to deal with, but I do it again in a heartbeat.
Speaker 1: Well, we shoul probably move on to what we've been playing this week, Tam, do you want to start.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to take up too much time because I want to hear what Gav has been up to and what Lucy has been up to, but I've been playing Psakiro again. I needed something to kind of occupy my mind and give me something to focus on. I'm feeling a bit aimless in the early part of this year, so I was like, oh, you know what, I played Securo for a review on my US account, so I don't have any like trophies or any progress for it on my main account. So I went, I downloaded that game again and basically started a fresh install, fresh game. Sorry, And yeah, I'm kind of in my mind, I'm thinking I'm going to aim for a platinum, but I'm not sure if i want to get the platinum because I've got one platinum and it's Bloodborn and it's been that way for maybe what four or five years, probably longer than since the game came out.
Speaker 2: Basically, I don't have a single platinum.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I make a point of not going for platinums because I'm like, I don't really want to grind for things like that, and I feel like it's more of a statement if I have one platinum than if I have twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a statement.
Speaker 4: It's like when Canyo Wes was following one person, not yeah exactly. That's what it is, and I don't really want to add another one to it, but like I was thinking, I'll aim for it and then once I'm there, I'll decide if I want to add the second one. Because Securo still having two platinums is I feel like I lose the statement of only having one, but then I make the statement of I have the two from software games.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, but then you've got to do the other.
Speaker 4: Now that's that's where I'm like, which which includes So I think Krouper started doing that right Like he he started doing a bunch of them, and I think he got yeah, and I was like, I don't want to be in that situation because he's got like there's some Covenant stuff that's messed up.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: So I was like, I don't want to do it.
Speaker 5: That's a whole thing, man, Like so Croops has been doing it for our Patreon producers, so people support us of like twenty dollars and above, they get access to these like private live streams, which is just most of it is at the moment, just Daniel streaming for like eight hours, just grinding shit, trying to get But he did the Dark Souls one platinum and he's doing the Dark Souls three platinum, but like I think he's shared on Twitter, I'm not sure. I'll have to send you, guys, you have to put it in the description of this podcast or something. But we have this amazing guy who's into our communical Ryan, and he made basically E coded this spreadsheet that is basically like updates as he gets these different rings and all this different stuff.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: It's a job, man, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't want it to be a job. So I've been doing that and I'll just I'll figure out whether I want to actually hit that platinum and then go from there. But I'm really enjoying jumping back into psaco again and feeling that that specific style of combat it's really still works and it still feels like some of the best combat. And then I've been playing Yakuza, but I'll talk about that.
Speaker 1: I was looking at like it was it SOUNI Legend on Twitter does a lot of those gifts, and they've been doing some Securo ones recently.
Speaker 3: I mean they've been doing it since the game came.
Speaker 1: Out, but I was looking at one of the more recent ones and I was like, man, you probably didn't have to do a lot of work to get this because the combat itself looks so damn good already and so cinematic, and like the hip boxes, I think was something that always apprised that game, Like that game ridiculous. They're they're perfect. It seems there's like.
Speaker 4: A there's a specific gift that's a legend's done where I can't remember which which enemy is, but I mean it's one of the ones that tries to kick you, and there's like four different versions of them, and like the hip box for Securo was like he ducked underneath the kick and it was like an actual slide underneath the limb and the hip box is never connected and that was like onbelievable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, like unless your game you just take damage from that because you're in the vicinity.
Speaker 4: But there's actual fighting games street Fighters and tecans Is that don't have.
Speaker 2: Precise Yeah, that's true, that's wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I love seeing all those gifts and stuff.
Speaker 5: I think it was you Town that shared one and it was like that shows the similarities between Sakuro and Awls, like he's trained him because I have a lot of the same like mannerisms and things like that. And I think like the one it's not it's not in a fighting thing, but someone shared it or someone showed center to me, and it's basically like in the first again a CHERI fight when you lose your arm, like pulling his blade out and stumbling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like.
Speaker 2: It's like that is unbelievable, and also so many little things like that. He's just like I would never have noticed that.
Speaker 4: That's amazing legend as well, what an amazing account, Like there's a there's a giff he did for Definite micro five the neuro DLC the other day, and it's like Nero is not Nero a Virgil. Virgil is just standing there and like he's just like he's going through stances with his sword. But while he's doing that and like a demon apparition that he's summoned is fighting an enemy around him, and all he's doing is like flexing his sword and then like charging up and then it ends with him like he's basically doing cutters and then he ends and just like takes his sword out and delivers one hit and kills the enemy. It looks unreal. It looks like you look at it and you're like, how is this in a game, and how has this been captured? It's ridiculous. Yeah, great, count Well.
Speaker 1: I'll go next because I haven't really been playing anything new. I think I talked about it last week too. It's just Risk of Rain two. That game is so good. Highly recommend it, especially if you've got some friends. But just the way you're able to build your character through each run is just so incredible. Like you'll start out with a simple dash ability that gets you from you know er point A to point B with a slow cool down, and then by the end you are like not even touching the ground because you've got so many I forget what they're called hard light after burners that you're just zipping around the map.
Speaker 3: Like just the way that game the gameplay.
Speaker 1: Evolves over like an hour, I mean, if you last an hour is it is something I've never seen before. The game is super impressive. I highly recommend it. But yeah, that that game is amazing. But that's all I'll say because I talked a lot about it last week. But Lucy, you weren't on last weeks would.
Speaker 6: Have keepen up to uh So I am trying in twenty twenty one to not replay old stuff and watch old stuff to kind of push myself to actually experience new stuff. So I've got a big list of stuff that I want to work through. I played the Last Campfire, which is a little puzzle game by Hello Games, and it's fantastic. I think the sale ends today, but I picked it up for like nine quid and if you're into it, you can platinum it in one run, which I did.
Speaker 5: If I wasn't the podcast, would you have said nine dollars then no, because I still.
Speaker 6: Have a UK PSN account. Nine good. It was fantastic and it's like a really well put together puzzle game, very beautiful and also quite sad but very melancholic, but it's very good. But the PS five, well it's PS four, but I played like my PS five. I loved it.
Speaker 4: I think it's from the Switch as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's a it's on a bunch of stuff. It's not on game Pass because otherwise I would have fixed up on that. But I'm actually glad that I bought it because like, obviously Hello Games have no Man's Sky going, but it's I wanted to support them in a different way. But the main thing I've been doing is watching the expense because for years people have been telling me that I would enjoy the expense, and I just didn't get around to watching it. And then in this twenty twenty one, I, you know, decided to finally watch it instead of watching Battlestar Galactica Again. What turns out it's basically Battlestar Galactica but with a mad budget, and it has like it hit some of the highs of Battlestar for sure for me.
Speaker 2: How much of it have you watched?
Speaker 6: I'm halfway through season three and I started yesterday a week and a half ago.
Speaker 4: Amazing effort.
Speaker 6: Yeah. But the thing is as well, it's because I was thinking about this, is that each season, like seasons one and two. Season one is ten episodes, season two is like thirteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I was like, that is a perfect length for a series. How on earth did we think twenty four episodes of forty five minutes to an hour long TV was okay?
Speaker 4: I blamed twenty four Well.
Speaker 6: Because it's how you get like the absolute shitter episodes of last Jack's Tattoos.
Speaker 4: I'm looking oh yeah, oh my god, I forgot that, nik NICKI and.
Speaker 2: That episode is a banger. Yeah, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 6: It's such a weird one because I think they could have been really interesting, but then they were shoehorned in for just that episode.
Speaker 4: Isn't Like yeah, isn't. Isn't that like the episode that they use as the springboard for the game, this one random episode which is basically like the springboard for the game, And you're like, wow.
Speaker 1: Because don't you play a different survivor that like showed up in the background of an episode.
Speaker 4: Something like Lost what is it called Lost?
Speaker 6: Via don't vio doormous?
Speaker 3: I played like fifteen minutes of it because I was really into the show at the time.
Speaker 4: I was like, this is bad.
Speaker 6: I got the first smoke wonstan Counter and I was like, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the same thing happened with twenty four. I was like, oh, like, we take this random moment of twenty four and turn it into I bought twenty four. I started it, and I had an immediate bug where Jack Bower wasn't visible, only his gun was, And I was like, well, I basically bought this game to be Jack Beller and it won't let me see him, So I've done with this.
Speaker 5: Was that the game that was on PS two that was a good game, man, it had it was generally good because it had these absolutely wild like hacking minigames in it and like diffusing mini games in it so well.
Speaker 4: So like if you if your license game has a hacking minigame in it, you're good because like enter the Matrix, like everyone thought that was gonna be a shier, but then you get that, you get that hacking minigame when you're like, oh, this is sick.
Speaker 2: Oh I love it.
Speaker 3: It's crazy how far licensed games have come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking automatic and talk about them very soon, but anyway, now it's time to talk about Yakuza.
Speaker 2: Get that's the thing.
Speaker 5: I was like, I felt really bad because I was like, I know this is basically an unofficial Yakuza podcast, but maybe I'll fit in a little bit. But yeah, it was like, I've never played the Yakuza game before. I played about fifteen hours of Judgment and really liked it, but it was one of those things where I can I just fell off, and then when I went back, I had no idea what was going on, and I just I spent a couple of hours trying to like remember, and it just wasn't gonna happen. So I just was like, I'm gonna have to go back and start that from Gratch if I ever do it. But with Yakus, I was like, well, I've got an Xbox, I haven't got like much new stuff, so I was like, I'll give it a go because I heard like, you don't need to have played all the other yakuzas and stuff to be able to enjoy it. Man, I'm like chapter eleven, I love it. It's so strange, but it's so bloody charming. It's like I played if I picked it up just before Christmas and during like the Christmas that like dead time between Christmas and New Year where everyone is basically just turn around in circles, which is even worse this year because no one could do anything. But I was like, I couldn't sleep, So I was getting up with like a half past six in the morning playing like three or four hours of Yakuza before my partner woke up, and I.
Speaker 2: Just loved it.
Speaker 5: I just completely fall in love with it. Like this, I don't think is a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination. Like I don't think it's gonna make me want to go back and play the other yaku games. At all, but my time with it, I'm just really enjoying. I just think it's it's just because I have I don't have many other than love in Japan and have been to Japan a few times. I don't have many like Japanese cultural touch points really, Whereas like I played Valhalla like Assassin Qui Valhala for a bit and you're like, you play it and you go, yeah, I reckon the writers for this probably really into Game of Thrones where because it's fucking like playing a Game of Thrones.
Speaker 2: Whereas I feel like with Yakuza, I.
Speaker 5: Have no idea what's going on and it feels completely new, but the story is there's not a lot going on in the story really is like you know, rival Yakuza clans, and like the actual storyline is is basically like a Steven Sagal movie stretched out over like really long.
Speaker 6: Daddy, whyet you love me?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: But yeah, I've just completely fallen in love with every character, like Itchi is like it's just something else, and I feel like the writing it, like the one bit I think is quite a famous bit, but it's the bit where you meet one of the heads of the Yakers. The time for ages and he lays out this entire big plan and about why you know, everything is biffed and everything everyone's about to have a really really horrible time, and Itchy Man looks terrified and he goes, I know I should be scared by this, but what you just said was awesome.
Speaker 2: They're so good. I love this.
Speaker 5: Game because it just feels like it's doing all this, like it really embraces how just odd it is as a game.
Speaker 2: But I'm completely smitten with it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it is a character and everyone like numbers, amazing numbers. Number is good. I like a Dutch a lot as well, because it's yeah, an absolute top ten three loader, various other all the characters are really endearing and that's kind of like that's the one thing that is kind of at the core of all yukers there games. Yeah, and this game does it really well. But I don't know, like this feels like a The interesting thing is like the gameplay. It seems like, on the surface when you look at it, like a turn based RPG should be more hardcore, but it actually turns out it makes it easier for people to get into. It's less demanding, and the pace is different, whereas like I think Kiss always still the best in the franchise, but like it the like real time combat can make it tricky for people, so like Yuckers are like a dragon, It's definitely like the best entry point to get everything. To understand why people love that franchise.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do kind of like it because Tom, you and I were talking about it over What'sapup a little bit where it was just like anytime that you like, I love tern based like RPG fighting.
Speaker 2: I think it's awesome.
Speaker 5: Like I loved what Found Fantasy sevend remake did with the new combat system though that was great, but I did I did kind of want to see what a proper turn based thing was going to look like. And I think with this, if you have a turn based COMBA, I think you can guarantee it's going to be set in some random fantasy world of And that's just stuff that I'm just not interested in, Like as as someone who like as a story thing, that's not something interesting me at all, Whereas this is like a modern game, but it does all this wild turn based stuff, which I think is just great and I've kind of missed that a little bit. You know, like actually thinking about what I'm going to be doing a strategizing moves and things like that, Like I've really really missed that video games, and I think this does it really well.
Speaker 4: Have you used number as a shove technique to push someone into a road so they get hit by a car.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, It's so good.
Speaker 5: That's the thing that I'm kind of like, I don't I kind of it kind of.
Speaker 2: Works a lot for the way that the.
Speaker 5: Fights meant to be happening, because basically they're meant to be happening as real fights, but in Itchi Band's head, they are dragon quest fights.
Speaker 2: So it's like this weird thing where.
Speaker 5: In a normal fight, the world would stop around you, and you go in a fight where obviously, like you're in the middle of the road, you run into people, there's going to be stuff going on. And I feel like the first time that I run past someone and they just kind of booted me up the art us like the other enemy like booting me at the US, I was like, Oh, that's great, that's really clever because it's it's exactly what would happen.
Speaker 2: It completely makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love him, man, Like it's just also like, my partner's been watching me play I keep saying my partner because Jake isn't but like you guys know Clara, but like you've been watching me play it, and it's so weird watching someone seeing stuff happen out of context.
Speaker 2: Like the other day when I was just like shipping myself, I was like, oh, I'll summon the baby dude, and.
Speaker 5: This guy comes in and then you know, he messes up all the guys you're fighting, and Carus is watching all.
Speaker 2: Going like this is amazing, so funny.
Speaker 4: I think, Yeah, someone Nancy like yeah, the crustacean and it's so good. What's going on here? Like explaining parts of that game to people, like try explaining to anyone where Ichiban was born and raised like that, how do you think explain what a soap land is? The fact that soap lands are okay, it's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Also, as well as we were meant to go to I was meant to go to Japan twice last year. Obviously the book got canceled. We were talking about going to Japan together, like yeah, like that obviously, like I think we were talking about going right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I was.
Speaker 6: I was looking back at that discord chat and it was like about a year ago we set it up and it was like, Okay, let's go like January and everything.
Speaker 3: I'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Then it's ridiculous, that's all right.
Speaker 6: It just means I can keep saving and when we.
Speaker 2: Eventually go, like, we'll be the most decadent trip ever.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so much money, so many soap lands, so many soap plans.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing that hit the hole.
Speaker 5: Whereas like now I'm at least I'm getting to experience a little tiny bit of Japan a little bit, like and you walk into those shops and like the sound of the shop, like the ambient sound of those supermarkets, those little Coombanie stores, Like that is exactly how they sound.
Speaker 2: It's so like I stuck on headphones and play.
Speaker 5: I was like, I feel like it's five am and I'm pissed walking around getting those little cupsack's.
Speaker 4: Kind of an egg salad sandwich.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 6: Oh don't someone on my someone I follow on Instagram lives out in Japan and she's an American woman. She lives in Japan, and she just posted this thing about egg salad sandwiches. The Seven eleven ones and you know, and I was like immediately overcome with this craving for them. So I literally did like I was about to hunt down a recipe and go buy all. And then I realized that was the beginning of the fourty year old Virgin where he spends an entire weekend making an egg salad sandwich.
Speaker 4: And I was like, I mean, I'm gonna I'm gonna do it anyway, because every time I go to Japan, like various people have been witnessed to this, the first thing I do is go to a seven eleven and buy about ten of those and buy like coffees and stock up my entire like Fredge and I'm good.
Speaker 1: There's the biggest culture shock when I went to Japan having lived in America my entire life and thinking of seven elevens is these really shitty city places like have really bad like you'd never get food from a seven eleven unless you were on a road trip and that was the only.
Speaker 3: Thing you could possibly find.
Speaker 1: And then going to Japan and it's like, wow, I just bought everything here and all of it is so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well that's the thing is, like, you know, anywhere in America, they've probably got like those like monthly like crates where it's just someone going into a seven eleven in Japan, empty into a box, charging an American like eighty five bucks for it and.
Speaker 2: Be like, there you go, this is Japan box luke crate.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 2: But yeah, man, I've I've I've fallen in love with it completely.
Speaker 3: You've also been playing through the Uncharted or watching your partner play through and Charted?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I I watched my My partner's a tattoo artist, and obviously, like with Lockdown, she can't tattoo. So in Lockdown one, she got obsessed and played through the witcher three because it was on game Pass, and this time I was like, good game. I was like, and now it's like a favorite game. Now which of three is by far your favorite game? Which is amazing, And now it was like I kind of wanted something to play through, and I was like, well, the it is like some of my favorite games.
Speaker 2: You should play through those like and the.
Speaker 5: First I guess the first two are quite yanky, So I said, like, bang them down to easy for the first two just so you can get through it, because they do feel quite old even we were playing through like the Nathan Drake collection, which is like, I think it's blue point, isn't it? Did those so like they know, but it's still they still feels quite old. So she'd like banged down to easy. Did both of those in a day and then a day each she went all right, I was like damn, and then did I think and charted three and two sittings, and then the charted four in two sittings, which.
Speaker 6: Is I've never been prouder.
Speaker 2: It was like a week ago and now they're done. They're done and dusted. But it's been awesome.
Speaker 6: Oh did she play Lost Legacy?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, no, get on Lost Legacy fantastic.
Speaker 5: I've never played Lost Legacy, and I love the.
Speaker 6: It's a little one.
Speaker 1: But if I'd say it's the best one, but it's second best for me, maybe I.
Speaker 6: Think it's like it's I think it's fantastic.
Speaker 4: I think it's way tight as an experience, and I think it's good.
Speaker 3: I agree with that.
Speaker 4: It's a good game to play after you're done with all of them, because you're like, all right, that's enough of you, Drake. Relax.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Chill, I cannot stand Chloe and I can't, and I hate Chloe.
Speaker 2: I hate That's why I've never played like.
Speaker 6: She's listen, Claudia Black. It's an incredible maybe it's honestly because the way that the two of them chat it is like how women chat. It's very good.
Speaker 5: I see like loads of people say it's their favorite uncharted, which I was always thinking, like, it's not just something you're saying for the likes. You're just like, oh, my favorite chart, it's actually the one with two women, so shame on.
Speaker 4: You think it's the PSP one.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that was a banger though, to be fair, that's good.
Speaker 2: No, but yeah, so yeah, I've got it.
Speaker 4: I should play it.
Speaker 6: You should give it, give it a bashbe you should.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean like you're watching Clara play, maybe just watch her player.
Speaker 2: Well, she hates Chloe as much as I do.
Speaker 6: So well, if you've got it, if you've got give it.
Speaker 4: The thing is like in that that specific game, Nadine hates Chloe as well, so so there's that kind of dynamic. So you're like, you'll probably be like, but there's like an arc to them. So it's good.
Speaker 5: It's been interesting like watching someone play through those in such like a concentrated way because I think about like that they were, like I was into them when they first came out, but actually watching someone binge for and Charge is pretty wild man. But yeah, I think it's been quite a nice thing to play through when we can't actually go anywhere because they go a lot of places in those games.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I traveled the world.
Speaker 5: Yeah exactly, That's been quite fun to play. But I think like, yeah, I'm definitely I'm gonna I'm gonna go back and play three and four for sure, and then maybe go on to Lost Legacy afterwards.
Speaker 2: Who knows. Well, you guys have kind of convinced me.
Speaker 6: I treat yourself.
Speaker 1: It's short at least, but anyway, we should be moving on to topics for this week. All right, and we are back with topics. So the first thing here is Cyberpunk multiplayer leaks. We're not gonna go over that in this podcast because Lucy myself and John Luke talked at length about it on our Cyberpunk Update show thing I Guess, which should be live now or soon. So if you want to hear about the leaks what our take is on them, make.
Speaker 3: Sure to check that out. But we've got a lot of big news.
Speaker 1: This is basically like, I don't know, it feels like E three with all these games licensed.
Speaker 6: Game a clock, Actually, yeah, we don't have it on here, but Hogwarts Legacy or whatever the hell it's called in licensed game news or whatever. I did see a very very good take where someone said that Warner Brothers must be shitting themselves because what is JK. Rowling going to do to further damage that brand? But take what time you need port Key Games. I'm still so very conflicted about whether or not I'm going to play that one.
Speaker 2: I'll be all right, I don't need to in my life.
Speaker 1: Speaking of games, though, that probably won't be out for a while though. This new Indiana Jane Indiana Indiana Jones game announced is being published by Bethesda, developed by Machine Games, and the executive producer is none other than God Howard, who I thought would be pretty busy tell me lies tell.
Speaker 4: But yeah.
Speaker 1: They followed it up with the announcement being like, yeah, this game is a ways out, so be patient. But still, this is exciting news for me, I'm sure.
Speaker 4: Many other people that I am.
Speaker 3: As a as a fan of Todd Howard, I'm very excited no, but just like you know, Indiana Jones.
Speaker 1: I've been very into for my entire life. I love the Indiana Jones movies, and not the fourth one except learning that Andrew goldfarb friend of the show.
Speaker 2: Is it you can see him incredibly amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah that makes me, That makes me like it a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he looks excited to be in that movie. Yeah, that's gotta respect that movie.
Speaker 6: I'm just waning you know that. Andrew Goldfub texted Tam and I while we were recording this podcast to show pictures from twelve years ago when he was an extra on the set of Shell and he's dressed like a like a British policeman.
Speaker 2: A bobby.
Speaker 6: He's a Bobby on the beat.
Speaker 4: Andrew Goldfob is like in an absurd amount of movies.
Speaker 5: This could be live. I'm pretty sure this is right. But I'm pretty sure he owns that costume because or he told because I remember him tell me a story before. It was basically like if you if you decide to, like, you know, really invest in a Bobby on the beat like ninety you know, eighteen hundreds or seventeen hundreds whatever, it is, like costume that can go on like your you know, extras CV. So when someone is looking for an extra they're like, oh, we need someone to play like a Bobby in Sherlock Holmes's time. They'll look it up and be like, Oh, Andrew Gofub he's this tour and he has a Bobby on like thing, which is really funny. So I think he actually owns that.
Speaker 6: I hope he does. I hope he just has a closet like he opens up extra wordrobes.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I like, I'm super excited for this Indiana Jones game as well, Like I'm not not joke bounce aside. Like knowing that Todd Howard is involved means like it's they're giving it the attention. I mean machine games, amazing studio, last few Wolfing sign games, generally high quality. Super excited. We've got an article up on Games for h that Phil Hornshall roll which was basically like how how you how he thinks they could do it right? And then the article basically is like, don't forget this. This character can't shoot loads of people, he can't fight loads of people, and his power is he's resourceful and smart, not a killing machine. Yeah, So I hope they like pay attention to that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, I think that's the thing is like I love Indiana Jones, but I love he's a bumbling idiot. Like I know, he's super smart and he's a professor, but everything that we like about Indiana Jones is like similar in a way to Unchied, where like, you know, Nate is falling off stuff, Indiana Jones fall lost stuff. But then Nate picks up a shotgun and suddenly is a killing machine and he's really good at killing people, whereas and obviously these guys do Wolfing starting, so I hope it's not. But then at the same time, like the people who who made thoughts are now making fables, So it's like just because you make one type of game doesn't mean necessarily that's the type of game you're always going to have to make. Like, yeah, these guys made Moan Size, it's not like, okay, make Wolfing Stein.
Speaker 2: But within the other Jones.
Speaker 4: Gorilla went from kill Zone to Horizons, So there you go. It's do I hope that I hope that they keep the like the the hot for history character element of his character where he just he just likes history and wants to get relics and stick them in a museum. Yeah, because that's what he's all about.
Speaker 3: Do you guys remember that canceled Indiana Jones game that I think was supposed to come out around the like beginning of the three sixties. I forget what fake.
Speaker 6: Something like that Talentis came out on like we or something. There was meant to be a different Versionstaff of Kings.
Speaker 4: I think it was Stuff of Kings or it was like three six area.
Speaker 1: That was like the last big budget Indiana Jones game I can think of, and it didn't even make it out the door. So I'm super curious to see what's changed since then. I don't know if you guys played any of like the old old PS two Xbox.
Speaker 3: Indiana Jones games, but they were all like pretty bad.
Speaker 6: Oh Figerabytelindes did come out, yees. Staff of Kings was the one that got canned.
Speaker 4: Did it get candled? Did it come out? I think it might actually came out, you know, there was there was a Staff.
Speaker 3: Of Kings I don't think so.
Speaker 6: And Stepha Kings came out for we PS two DS and PSP in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 4: Maybe there was like a three okay.
Speaker 6: But maybe there was a three sixty.
Speaker 4: There was a Canda version, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and five, lucas I announced the new Indiana Jones game for an next gen consoles. Originally scheduled for release in two thousand and seven, the game so constant delays as a result of internal.
Speaker 3: Struggles due to severe quality issues, it was canceled in two thousand and nine. Hm hm, but yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to see what they do with it, because, like, like we've been saying, like Wolfenstein is game I really like, but not a game that not a style that would translate well to Indiana Jones. But like you guys said, like Machine Games is clearly a talented studio. I'm hoping they can do something really unique with it because i'd like to see that character shine I guess, because you know recently has been down on his luck.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 6: I wonder if they're gonna get I mean, if they would even bother getting Harrison in to voice him.
Speaker 4: Nah, I doubt it.
Speaker 1: I love Harrison Ford, but I in a seventies yeah you know who. I remember watching Blade Runner twenty forty seven and I was like, wow, he actually like acted this time.
Speaker 3: He hasn't acted in a while.
Speaker 6: I'm just going to say this before like if we're gonna be on but because I want to manifest this in twenty twenty one. So you know the conversation that Todd Howard had with his leatherbound books and his big bookcase from a while ago, and everyone is now going back and realizing that he had the Ark at the Continent behind him, someone pointing out mm designs uk Jay Armstrong pointed out to me on Twitter today, then he also had a copy.
Speaker 5: Of slug that guys are big in the RKG community, just saying if it's something good, great, he's part. If it's something racist, I don't know who that guy is.
Speaker 6: I remember I remember seeing this at the time, that he had a copy of Lord of the Rings behind him. And I'm manifesting this because Arcane Austin. There was a LinkedIn thing the other day that one of their senior artists is working on a fantasy game for Unreal Engine and everyone is like, oh, Dishonored three, Dishonded three, And I'm like, there is a one billion dollar like second Age TV show being made at Amazon and the reason that Amazon's making it is because Warner Brothers didn't have the rights to the Silmarillion, Like, please imagine, imagine like something so different for Lord of the Rings games, Like I love Shadow of War Shadow Modo, and I can't wait to see what they do next.
Speaker 4: He's except for the Golham game. Thank you?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, Golham game. Well, I'm sure it's good. Gollum has never been a character that I've particularly enjoyed, but.
Speaker 4: Hard relate to.
Speaker 6: I just just like, just imagine.
Speaker 4: I think, like you've you've convinced me, so I'm on board.
Speaker 2: I'm up for this.
Speaker 4: And like Arcane doing Lord of the Rings, holy shit, that would be incredible.
Speaker 6: But like and if it was, if it wasn't Third Age ship, if it was like super early on, imagine if you were. I don't know, Like I struggle to see how a Lord of the Rings game, Like what who you would play as in a first person Lord of the Rings game? Like, because I mean I think Arcane, my head obviously first goes to dish it. I'm like, oh, yeah, who would have powers?
Speaker 2: And I guess it doesn't have to be like the first person thing either, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, like if you played a numinor.
Speaker 2: Like or which one is?
Speaker 5: That was that the little the little ones with the big feet.
Speaker 6: Don't do.
Speaker 2: Second breakfast, Love it Potatoes.
Speaker 1: That's all I have to say on this is that if I ever become the creative director of anything, I'm just going to film my bookcase with a bunch of random and like just occasionally like kind of oh what, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I was literally thinking as I was getting ready for this podcast, I was like, because I saw the Todd Howard thing just before, I was like, what would be really funny is to make a bunch of go back through really old zoom from like last year and have like, oh do you see Phil Spencer's thing and just like put just like random ship in the background, like maybe it means they're going to be making this neck like people will pick up on.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean he also has in the background like an R two.
Speaker 5: And because he's a fucking nerd, of course he's got I'm like all of us house.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's got a little globe.
Speaker 4: I don't know if you know he's.
Speaker 6: Got printers this printer game you're making.
Speaker 4: I would like to officially reveal that I am making an Akira game. I was actually thinking, like, who could if they were not getting Harrison Ford in, who could they get to do Indiana Jones and Ice No? I submit absolutely not Like I like Nolan North and Tray Baker are great, but like this guy who was in Batman Telltale series called Anthony Ingruber, who is amazing, Like he's really really good. He did, but like the guy, he's a huge Harrison Ford fan and he has done like so much like Indiana Jones impression stuff, Indiana Depression stuff.
Speaker 2: That's how he is.
Speaker 4: Nerve. He yeah, he was. If you're listening hard, If you're listening hard, we know you're listening Anthony and grub perfect for it, perfect for Indiana Jones.
Speaker 6: His Twitter picture is literally a picture of him with Harrison Ford.
Speaker 4: I think I'm going to start a Twitter campaign to get him because also like I I've like, we've I've met him a couple of times, like really fortunate to run. I ran into him at what do you call it? A games com? It was like and Lucy, you were there as well. You kind of showed up after and the thing is like it wasn't a big moment because he just looks like a random person, and like he was in the Telltale game as Joker because Telltale found him doing Joker impressions on YouTube, and like I remember talking to him at games comp. He was like, I have no idea what's going on. I I this is like a new world for me, and like I love Batman that kind of stuff, and I love games. But like he looked like he was like a fish out of all at games com. So like he seems to be a nice, wholesome dude as well.
Speaker 5: He used to come up on like Cooper and I used to do this Star Wars podcast for IGN called Rebel Bass, and he used to come up all the time because obviously, like before we even knew any of these shows or anything was happening, it was like, oh, who could play the young Indiana Jones and stuff? And he plays a young Harrison Ford in a movie called The Age of Adeline because because he got literally that was off the back of him doing all these random YouTube video that went viral of him doing impressions of Harrison Ford.
Speaker 2: So that is why, yeah, get him in, get him in, get him in, get him in.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: Next up, we've got the new Star Wars game. Which just got announced in open world Star Wars game.
Speaker 1: Published by Ubisoft developed by Massive, which should be interesting. I don't know, I feel less passionate about Star Wars than I do about Indiana Jones.
Speaker 4: So I really hope that they release a trailer or a teaser for that game where it is a shot for shot remake of the Division one where they close the door. But it's just like a speed at all Snowdrop Engine. Star Wars coming soon.
Speaker 5: I'm really my favorite thing, Like this is the one I'm this is the thing I'm most excited about because I love everything about a Division except for the Division, and like the the game is brilliant, Like the game is so much fun to play, Like we did we played through all the Division two in Lockdown one just as like really as an excuse just to get together and make some funny stuff and we live stream there. But like I love the game and I love everything about it, Like I kind of like like the all the systems that they have a place of great, all the set in and the characters and.
Speaker 2: Stuff is just so crap.
Speaker 5: It's so crap, and I don't care about any of it. And I feel like I know, you know, I just I couldn't tell you the story. I don't care about what Black Friday was in the Division. I don't know anything about the virus or anything. But the game feels fucking good to play, and I feel like, Okay, if you go right, you guys, you don't go worry about it because it's just going to be Star Wars, right, but make it like a Division, but it's Star Wars.
Speaker 4: Do that.
Speaker 2: I think I'm excited about that.
Speaker 4: We had We had like two we had like two hot gaming sessions where Cardy Lucy and I tried to play the Division and we like bounced off so on.
Speaker 6: We tried Destiny to tried the Division.
Speaker 4: The original Division, and a lot of two. But like in.
Speaker 3: I was just like, all, it's not do do you guys think that this Star Wars game would be in a similar style and Division like a loot shoot or do you think it would be.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah, let's not forget that are also making an Avatar game. Yeah, so and the Division three I think could be anything.
Speaker 4: No, No, they are a massive studio. I guess I'm sorry they aren't making Division three. I was thinking about Machine Games making Wolfenstein three at the same time, as Indiana Jones. But yeah, I think it's going to be because like maybe I'm reading too much into it, but you know, the statement was this is part of a long term agreement with or like a partnership with Lucas Games Games. So I imagine that there is going to be some element of coming back for it, and they've got a taste for it from Battlefront. I bet you somewhere that like Disney and Lucas execs are like, yeah, we like it when they keep giving us money, except can you make sure that this time you don't biffit out?
Speaker 6: Well, Ea tweeted like tick, we love Star Wars. Tick we look forward to continuing our partnership with Lucasfilm Games. Tick was making more Star Wars games and Tick BD one is still the curest I feel like pure ship.
Speaker 2: I just googled that.
Speaker 5: I was just looking at like, oh, I'll just look at some stuff about Ubisoft game just in case more information that I didn't know as being a thing. And I saw a headline that I was like, oh for Fox, say shut up. I wonder what games website that is. It's not GameSpot, it's just Star Wars dot com. It was the headlines Lucasfilm Games hits light speed towards the Future, and in my head I was like, shut the funk up, what the hell?
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh no, it's Star Wars dot com. All right.
Speaker 4: I mean it doesn't make it. It's strong with.
Speaker 5: It doesn't make it any better, but still you know they but yeah, like I.
Speaker 4: Kind of machine games has the high ground.
Speaker 2: Christ alive?
Speaker 3: All right, Well, let's let's move on to listener questions. All right, we're back with listener questions.
Speaker 1: Remember, if you've got any questions for us, you can email us at after Dark Podcast at GameSpot dot com. I've been getting a lot of emails lately, mostly because I think a lot of those questions go right to our discord. So if you want to join our discord, feel free to DM myself and I will get you in there as soon as I can. But with that said, Lucy, do you want to read the first question?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 3: This is a long one.
Speaker 6: Okay, this is also like this Yeah, this use name is like I love it, but it's also peak like three sixty lait speak sixty game attack.
Speaker 1: I actually cut out part of it because part of the username because it was like switch id, Xbox Live account, PSN.
Speaker 4: Is it so?
Speaker 6: I guess it's rocket Scientist, but like, oh scientist, that's what it is.
Speaker 4: I know what it was.
Speaker 6: But like with fives and threes and zeros, which, to be fair, must be an absolute pain in the ass to type when you're typing on your on your console. But I do love the fact that it works so well. Not a lot of my I r L friends have consoles, but they do have phones, so we play almost every day Call of Duty Mobile Battle Royal and it's fun. I actually like it so much more than war Zone and PUBG. So my question is do you feel mobile gaming non console are you not switched doesn't get reported on in the mass media as much as console gaming? Why do you think that is? Shouldn't companies focus on it more due to the huge install base that's out there that is untapped potential? Also, do you I'm sorry, I'm hitting puberty. Also do you think x cloud and Stadia address this need.
Speaker 3: To more? You might have a better answer for this. Since you've been running news.
Speaker 2: You really dropped The tricky thing is good boy.
Speaker 4: The tricky thing is there's various factors that plays into mainstream coverage of a game mobile game, specifically for a site like us, we have a heritage history and our foundation is in console PC gamings, the stuff that you would traditionally lump under hardcore, which is a you know, a shitty term that I don't believe in, but like it's how people understand it. So a lot of our kind of approach and our the way we've come up and the way we're structured to kind of cover is focused around that stuff, and a lot of our interests around that stuff as well. That's not to say we don't touch mobile games. We do touch mobile games, like we either indie games that we've tried many times to do like indie games coverage on mobile and that kind of stuff. The problem is it doesn't really land, it doesn't really stick the audience, our audience isn't really super into it, and not just our audience, the audience at large gaming audience generally it's harder to get traction with them. And this might be oversimplifying, and if I'm wrong in this, it's you know, I apologize, but like, for the most part, people who play mobile games aren't usually the people who are looking for up to date news and coverage on mobile games. They just play the games, and then I'm the same way, where like I don't think about what's what's you know, what's coming up next for Peggle or what's coming up next I think, I mean, I think different platforms over the last two weeks.
Speaker 5: It's like maybe they're not like as engrossed in like games culture, Like video games on their phone is like a means to an end.
Speaker 2: It's just like a little bit of fun.
Speaker 5: So maybe they are exactly ingrained in their culture as like oh, I'm going to look for the you know, a review of the next big mobile game coming out, and maybe.
Speaker 4: Exactly and yeah, and like the way they consume games is differently like things mobile games exist in in like in the background for them, so things like even things like oh, yeah, you know, like yeah said, is like getting excited about the next mobile game doesn't really matter like for for like patches and updates and that kind of stuff because of the way more moile phones work. Usually it's just all done in the background, so you don't really know what's going on until you open it and you're like, oh, it's updated into something else. Games like Battle Royal, games like Call of Duty Mobile, Fortnite. They are kind of like in a middle ground, but when you're engaged with those games, you usually know everything that's happening at any moment, Like no one's being surprised by a Fortnite update. No one's being surprised by a Call of Duty Mobile update. Whether that's because their friends are talking about it, whether that's because they have niche communities in like Reddit or discord, or whether it's because and more and more these days, games are better about this. They surface that stuff in the game. Like when you're playing a game, it will tell you there's a patch coming out or there's no event happening, and it's not always just like a piece of text. It's like, oh no, a nuclear silo has opened in Call of Duty, and that's when you know it's going to happen. Oh look, Travis Scott is one million feet in Fortnite, and also Galactus is here and the Avengers have shown up. But that's how you know. So I think that it's it's because of those things a lot, along with a bunch of other things. But we do try and focus on mobile games. I mean, you know, we had a Song of Bloom for example, is one that I played last year and I evangelized, and I know we included it in one of our Game of the year right ups. I think Chris Peira wrote about it, which is a mobile game. You know. Gensian Impact is a game that we covered, but not from a mobile specific perspective. But we always try to tell people like, hey, this is also on mobile and it's really good against an Impact. Rory Power's Game of the Year for our Cage. He's a shill for that game, so loves it. But like there are we do cover mobile games, we just don't make it a massive focus because our audience isn't super up for it and it's hard to invest resources into it knowing that it's going to get Also, there's one trillion mobile games. Of them are absolutely hot dog shit, refried beans bollocks, Like the App Store is a and the Google play Store is a nightmare hellscape.
Speaker 6: Of games unless unless you get Apple Arcade, which is like the quality filter.
Speaker 4: I suppose, yeah, but it's also yeah, it's five bucks and months, and like games like you know, they have that barrier now, like you can't tell tell someone, oh, you can check this game. That's what The thing I love about Apple Arcade is it curates games, curates games. The thing I hate about it is I have to subscribe to it, right if I just want that one game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, there's like.
Speaker 6: One Apple Arcade game called Patent, which I love, and I had Apple Arcade for a few months, and then I realized that Patent was the only game I played on it. Yeah, and now a fun thing we discovered the other day is that I have Apple TV for a year because I bought fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: You can share your subscriptions with a family. So now all like the girls that I get together with once a week to watch stuff are all in my family, and one of them I have Apple Fitness as well, so they all get access to that. And then Callie's in there and she has access to Apple Arcade, so we all get that. So literally, the only thing I've downloaded is Patent.
Speaker 2: It looks lovely just looking at it.
Speaker 4: It's really good.
Speaker 6: It's lovely.
Speaker 4: I did the same thing for Patent and Grindstone. Those were the only two things I played. I did not care. I downloaded all the games and I'll be like, I'll try these, but I just did it because it I was Grindstones on Switch and now Grindstounds. I canceled it once I'd finished Pattern and I was done with Pan, and then like was I canceled it? When they announced Grindstone for Switch, I was like, thank God, no reason to go back. Yeah, I mean I was gonna say.
Speaker 1: I feel like the press cycle for a lot of mobile games too, is very different from mainstream games. And when you think about it, a lot of our coverage comes from, i mean, covering games that are aren't out yet that will be out soon. And I feel like that kind of coverage just lands differently on mobile games that some casessed to.
Speaker 6: Be more in line with like traditional coverage, Like certainly twenty twelve twenty thirteen, when you had like Chilingo, which was EA's mobile game label, you had PopCap kind of even even Square Next when they were doing like Larcraft Go and hit Man Go, like they would treat those.
Speaker 2: As games.
Speaker 6: Like yeah, games, but yeah, and you would you would have the events and do the hands on and stuff. But then at the same time they realized that if you just make those single player games and their micro transactions, you aren't going to get a lot of money back. And then now that's why we have Peggle Blast.
Speaker 4: Having said that, like having said that Entry Impact is good on mobile. Bloodstained recently came out on mobile and it's decent. If you wanted chess, learning Chess as Blessing and Abby from Ja one would say Doctor Wolf is a good game, and if Found is amazing on mobile as well. So those are a few games and mobile that will be checking out.
Speaker 6: What do you think about x cloud and Stadia Because I'm gonna I'm gonna say no, because I was talking. I reconnected with a friend of mine from school the other day.
Speaker 2: She's big into Stadia, big Stadia influence.
Speaker 6: He's a doctor now, and we were talking about like I was saying that I'm building a PC and I'm playing cyberpunk and all this stuff, and he's like, oh, I want to play cyberpunk, but I don't have anything to play on. And I know she had to explain to him what Stadia was and he was like, he's a medical laptop and he was like, oh, but my laptop doesn't have a graphics card. I was like, no, no, you don't need one. You just need a screen.
Speaker 2: And he was like no, Like hey, doc, try and follow this will you.
Speaker 1: I also think like the thing with x Cloud two is that like it's it's a cool idea, but I feel like people don't bring their phone around in a controller to.
Speaker 3: Play Xbox games like that.
Speaker 1: Like when people play at least this is just my understanding, but when people play mobile games, they want just like a quick, easy game they can tap on.
Speaker 3: Like I like, I want to try it out.
Speaker 1: I'm super curious to see it's like playing these games on my phone. But like, I'm not going to bring a controller around. I will say it with me everywhere I go.
Speaker 4: I was I was sitting here the other day and I was like, just you know, when you do things just to do them because you just want you just need to.
Speaker 6: Just want to feel something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you just want to feel something. You just want to think about something else. I was sitting literally there, yeah there and if my TV is there, and I was playing Yakaza on Xbox and then I was like, oh, I can I can somehow remote play this. Let's see what happens using the smart the Xbox app. I was like, oh, it says remote player, I wonder what happens, And like within a minute I had connected Xbox controllers the modern ones anyway, just connect to your iPhone, Like I had no idea that was possible. They just connect. So like I was playing Yakaza on my iPhone with an Xbox controller and it worked flawlessly, and I was like, that is wild, but like that's pretty cool. I was sitting in front of my console.
Speaker 5: I think, like with anything that I play, I want to play a game that's being designed for that platform specifically, and because of their can take advantage of that platform during it means like Florence an amazing mobile game that was designed to be played on a phone. So when I played it on my phone, I was like, oh, this has been designed from the beginning with the idea that people will be playing this on their phone somewhere. And because of that, I mean, I reckon. I'd probably put that in my top fifty games. It's such a good game, an amazing experience, Whereas like, as you say, playing Yakuza on the x Cloud, thing that has not been designed to play be played on that. It's been designed to be played on a big TV, like and yeah, you can play it on that, and you can. Kind of it's a decent experience. It's not the way that it was designed to be played, though, and I think, like with anything like that, even though I'm like, yeah, it would be a means to an end. If I was stuck in a hotel and I wanted to play something, yes, it would make sense to be able to do it then, but.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like I mean, I got a tablet over Christmas and I haven't messed around with it yet, but I'm already thinking that, like, hey, next time I'm going to be traveling, I don't have to take a console with me. I'm going to see if I can. Just like the thing is is like I wouldn't play obviously Overwatch or anything that requires fast reaction. Now, I think something like a Yakaza or Persona would be great for those for like traveling next cloud well well no PS remote playing as well, which I haven't tried out, so I'm intrigued. So I'm gonna mess around with that probably after this. Actually, no, I would be working. I will definitely not be messing.
Speaker 5: Around just like the middle of the day. Well time is now at lunchtime for you guys.
Speaker 1: And normally this is the last thing we do on a Wednesday. Weird, but anyway, we should move on. Next one is if After Dark had an official mascot, who or what would it be?
Speaker 3: This is from Errol.
Speaker 6: Oh, can it be the bun chan from Yakuza?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 6: The little bun Chan that it's definitely in Yakuza Zero because I spent maybe half an hour. There's a little side quest where a little girl asks you to get something out of a crane machine and I had dreams about that bunch.
Speaker 2: And I'm looking at it right.
Speaker 6: Well, I think it's because I got the wrong one, because she explicitly asks for the pink one.
Speaker 4: That's just it's just a really fat bird with a hat one. Yeah, yeah, have you seen have you seen the image of Marge Simpson holding one? And it says I think they're neat.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that's like one of the first things.
Speaker 4: All right, we've settled that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The last question here is from Jay Higgins. I posted in the discord that you'd be joining us GAVs, and this was this was the question. We got best Welsh video game character.
Speaker 2: There's not many. This was ones Man Like.
Speaker 1: There's the first thing that ca aimed mind was the Welsh character in Red Dead Too, whose name I don't remember, but they referred to him as a red al.
Speaker 5: I think it's called like Alwyn Price or something like that. Yeah, but I'm pretty sure he is a wrong and it's all I could think, Like.
Speaker 2: He tries to rob you and I think, duff you up. Well he knock you out or something. It's not great. It's not a great representation. I'll be honest. I think, yeah, him drippy.
Speaker 5: I guess from Nino Cooney is a big one, because yeah, good, that was excellent because it wasn't like it's not set in Wales, like it's nothing like that. They've just gone the localization team have just gone, oh, who should we have a voiceless person? Oh, we're going to bring in like he's a very well known Welsh actor. They brought in this guy. But then also they obviously the localization team worked with him on you know, putting little Welsh inflections and stuff like that into it. Like he says like butt and munn and stuff like that, which is like weird little dialect things, which.
Speaker 2: Is very very cool. So I think he's gonna be in it.
Speaker 5: I don't know other than that, Like I just played through Made of Scare, which is a horror game all set in Wales that everybody should play. I've reckoned it's so cheap and it's a lovely little like Outlast. If you'd kind of like Outlast, you will like Made of Scare because Outlasts, I feel like is good for the people who like it, but I feel like it's only like a tiny centimeter above those like five Night of Freddie games, whereas Made of Scare is actually quite a classy game and has this really amazing mechanic which I think none of think many people played it, but it's made by Wales Interactive, so there's a shitload of wealth stuff going on in that game, like Welsh language, Welsh songs, and it's lovely.
Speaker 2: It's a lovely little game, that is so I think. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I googled Welsh video game characters and I found this article called ig Podcast on ig Podcast represent representation of Wales and the Welsh in gaming, so like they mentioned like Edward.
Speaker 5: Kenway English as well, that's why.
Speaker 6: But you've got Merrill from dragon Age too, like a lot of I mean, this goes back to I don't know if it goes back to Tolkien, but certainly, like that's the touch point I always think of is.
Speaker 2: Like absolutely, the Elvin.
Speaker 6: Language is taken a lot from Welsh, so in traditional high fantasy, like in Dragon Age, in which ad Elvish does sound a lot like Welsh. But however, this article what about outside software? Are there any Welsh representatives in the popular gaming media? There's all blah blah blah Marcus Bear. There's also IGN's gap is confident and entertaining. Podcasting and video content have certainly left a Welsh imprint on the games and film journalism sphere.
Speaker 2: That blog is written by my mum, so Dragon gave him Dragon Blog. Yeah, that's the thing. I always I feel like Welsh people are do.
Speaker 5: Like I don't know why for some reason, we're not thought of in the same way as Irish and Scottish, because like Scottish, I feel like Scottish and Irish characters just fucking show up in stuff all the time.
Speaker 2: And yeah, all it'll.
Speaker 5: Take is, like, you know, one person at Sony Santa Monica or something to be like, hey, you know what, We're not going to put a Scottish character in this time, We're gonna put a Welsh character in.
Speaker 2: How about that? Like, all it'll take is that, And then yeah, there's get in.
Speaker 4: It's the same thing. It's the same thing that happens with Pakistani's Indians, Like it's always Indians like, but like pakistanis exists too, like we're there, like hello anyone when I put in, But it's just not But because you can make an Indian sound like an Indian, yeah, to make a Pakistani like like an Irish voice or a Scottish voice has a distinctness to it, yeah, where as a Welsh voice has like a more of like a slant to it. Yeah, and like it's like it could almost fade away. Yeah if you're like I listened to you and it doesn't register as a Welsh accient it just registers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and unfortunately for twelve years, so mine's kind of gone a little bit. But your almost really weird is when people try and do a Welsh accent badly, it actually comes out sounding Indian, Yeah, which is.
Speaker 2: Really odd but really yeah, but I know you mean.
Speaker 4: It's the same thing where it's like you can you know what a poo sounds like? Yeah, you don't know what a Pakistani.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 5: And I guess, like to be fair, probably Scottish and Irish people are watching and playing through video games where there's a Scottish and Irish character being like, you're this person is obviously not Scottish or Irish, but people who arem that will be like, yeah, that's fine because what they're doing is a cartoon impression of that dialect, whereas yeah, I know what you mean. It's like, maybe there's not one of those for Welsh yet.
Speaker 2: But there will be a Lana.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 1: Well that's been episode of seventy six of Games Spot After Dark. Thank you so much for joining us. A lot of fun that before we go anything we want to plug, Lucy, anything you want to plug?
Speaker 6: Ah, watch the Expanse please so I can talk. No I Andy Cortez is watching it, but he's at the end of season.
Speaker 4: One and I'm like, oh, can you buy Nike trainers please?
Speaker 2: Kellogg's corn flakes. I hear they're pretty good.
Speaker 4: Free plug.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think. The other thing I'm in this week is the chat with Jake and John Luke about cyberpunk multiplayer and changes we want to see to single player. So go watch that YouTube com slash GameSpot. The police are coming? Do you hear that coming?
Speaker 4: For me? Another eyse plug? I can hear that doesn't.
Speaker 2: I don't know where it was swatted you.
Speaker 4: Both of you some more about yourself. Yeah, I don't really have anything major plug. That article that a Field did is up about Indiana Jones if you want to. There's been some rumors about g TA six having a female protagonist, which are incredibly spurious. I wouldn't be surprised if it was true. But we didn't really want to write about that. But we had a moment where we're like, oh, TDA has had some fun protagonists, like so Alessandro pat together a little feature about the kind of like looking back at the protagonists through the g TA franchise. Some good ones there. Yeah, that's pretty much it. I don't really have anything to plug. Maybe rkg GA you can plug more of it, but like, watch the resume they're watching, and I'm currently watching Kg's Rezi series, which is very very fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean people are probably sick of hearing my voice now.
Speaker 5: So yeah, if you liked any of that, there are two better people than me on OURKG that you can listen to. Yeah, we've just done RESI three. We've got a new show coming out on the twenty ninth, but Yeah, Rezi three, I feel like I got a little bit of a kick in when it came out, and I think unfairly because that game is a lot fun and we had a lot of fun playing it. Our show is only six episodes long from start to finish, but I mean, I feel like we get the best out of that by putting up the hardcore mode and getting stuck on bosses and stuff like that, which I think a lot of people probably don't and maybe didn't play in the exact same way as we did. But yeah, I feel like Rezi three is a good show. If you've never watched any of our stuff, is a good one to go in at and then go back through the rest of it, hopefully.
Speaker 3: And then I am working on.
Speaker 1: Which your cyberpunk dialogue video that hopefully will be done Best Friday. But it's become a lot more ambitious than I originally intended. I love those videos though, where you go in the living room filming shit good.
Speaker 5: I love those videos though, where you just go, well, this is the crap version of it, and this is the really ambitious version of it.
Speaker 2: I might as well do that. Do that one.
Speaker 1: I think it comes from just like being stuck in the house for so long and filming this making the same kind of videos, like, no, there's anything wrong with them, but they're all like gameplay with voiceover. And I was like, no, I bought all of this camera stuff. I have to use it, and I think it will turn pretty.
Speaker 4: Stuck when you get like, oh, you know what a fancy a fancy a peanut, but a jelly sandwich. Peanut but a gam sandwich. And by the end of it, it's got like banana and it's been toasted and it's got and you're like, it's a good metaphor.
Speaker 6: It is literally what he does in the forty old
Speaker 1: And we're back on the forty love it all right, Well, thank you all so much for listening, and we will see again next week, right,