Speaker 1: With the Lucky Land slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick, So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 1: Play for free at Lucky landslips dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void. We're prohibited by Law eighteen plus. Terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, it is a Ryan.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can.
Speaker 3: I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing.
Speaker 4: And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free, anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at chumbacasino dot com. No we're necessary day, my law your Magna Eating Play, Be Quiet for a second.
Speaker 5: Host.
Speaker 6: You are now listening to True Murder, The Most Shocking Killers in True Crime History and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Night Stalker BTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupansky.
Speaker 5: Good evening.
Speaker 7: This is your host Stan Zupaski for the program True Murder, The most Shocking Killers in True Crime History and the authors that have written about them. In April two thousand and six, a twelve year old girl named Jr. Committed a brutal crime the terrified parents everywhere. After weeks of plotting, she and her twenty three year old boyfriend stabbed to death her mother, father, and little brother in the family's home in Medicine at hat Alberta, making her the youngest multiple killer in Canadian history. Jr. Was a quiet, honor roll student living in the small prairie town of Medicine hat Alberta, but her middle class existence concealed an ominous alter ego runaway devil. Her internet persona professed a fondness for a darker world of death metal music, goth subculture, and her love for the much older Jeremy Stenkey, a high school dropout living in a trailer park with his mother. When JayR got involved with Jeremy, her concerned parents tried all the tough love strategies to restrain her and interrupt the relationship to no avail.
Speaker 5: Was Jr.
Speaker 7: Simply growing up too fast and under the spell of u Swengali like Stenk Or was she really the puppet master who manipulated her boyfriend to do her bidding? Based on the trials and exclusive interviews with the prosecutors, police, family and friends of the victim and murderers, Runaway Devil, Forbidden Love like aanthropy, death metal and murder? How Forbidden Love drove a twelve year old to murder her family? Runaway Devil with my special guest this evening, Robert Remington and Sherry Zigfoost Zigfoust.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the.
Speaker 7: Program and thank you for agreeing to this interview. Robert Remington, thank you very much for agreeing to this program.
Speaker 5: Hey, thanks Dan, thanks for having us.
Speaker 7: Yes, I'm what is the status of Sherry? Is she going to call in as well?
Speaker 5: I believe she was scheduled to I know that she was on the West coast, so I don't know. I haven't seeneral day. I'm sorry, and I got tied up in traffick very late.
Speaker 7: Oh no, no problem, no problem at all. Well, let's start off until she does connect and we'll get her right on air and introduce her and get her to be answered some questions as well. Let me ask you personally, Robert, how did you become involved in this case and why did you personally decide to write about a book about this murdered trial.
Speaker 5: Well, we got involved in the case when the story broke down in Medicine Hat and you know, we had a report that three people were dead in a house and Sherry was the first one to go down. We first thought it was a what we in the business called a area domestic case, you know, a murder suicide, you know, father, distraught, father, whatever, and you know, so she went down there first and then immediately had found out that there was something bigger going on, that this twelve year old girl was missing, that the police were looking for her. And it just because just every day, you know, it just got deeper and deeper and more complex and more fascinating for us. And the reason we decided to write a book on it was it wasn't until you know, more than a year later. It was during her trial and we realized that this was a significant case. She this is going to be the youngest person ever convicted multiple homicide in Canada. And we decided, you know, somebody is going to be doing a book on it, and might as well be us, because we happen to know more about it than anyone else, especially myself. Unknown to me at the time of the murder, but I found out during the trial a friend of mine was also a friend of the victims, and so we had all these connections and all this information and we decided to go ahead with the book.
Speaker 7: That's great now. The story is set in a place called Medicine Had for our American friends here in our audience and for people that don't know in Medicine Had, Alberta. Where is this located in relation to say a city we might know, Calgary, Alberta. And what is the size of the city, what is the community known for what are the people like there?
Speaker 5: Really? Medicine Had as a prairie city south east of Calgary about three hours sort of near this Skatchland border. It's well, I guess, about thirty forty minutes from the Saskatchewan border. It's a very fascinating place. It's very very hot, ara dry summers. It has actually cactus that blooms, their small yellow cactuses deep coolies, you know, carved by the sort of wind and rain out of the prairie. And nearby is a World Heritage site called Dinosaur Provincial Park. There's a lot of hoodoos, so it has a very rich sort of descriptive quality about it. It is known primarily it sits on top of the largest or one of the largest natural gas fields in North America. Rudyard Kipling had visited this area in the early nineteen hundreds and he wrote that he saw all these flaming, you know, gas flares and everything, and he wrote that that the area had all hell for a basement, and because of all that, it was this Dante like kind of inferno. But we're we're, you know, part of driving the area. It actually had at one time it had gas fired street lights on this prairie city and they actually just kept them burning because gas was so cheap, you know, it was cheaper to let them burn than to pay, you know, civil employees go around and put them out. And today the city is about fifty five sixty thousand people. It's a oil and gas it's ranching. It is. There's a nearby military based Canadian Forces base that also a lot of British troops trained there. It's also near in Saskatchewan on the Saskatchewan Birder border. There's a place called Cypress Hill Supervincial Park. It's the only place in this section of North America that was untouched the ice age. So it's a you have this dry flat area and then these hills that are very lush and high and green and palm palm trees, pine trees. I'm sorry, so it's got this rich tapestry. It's a it's actually quite a fascinating place. A lot of old brick buildings downtown along the river valley, the so Saskatchewan River, and there's big, huge dogwood trees that grow there. And it has a lot of these brick buildings because it had a brick yard that was they had a rich depositive clay, and they had this abundance of natural gas, so they were able to fire the clay and build these bricks for all the prairie cities and across the emerging West, and so it had it's got these old kind of brick buildings. Downtown, it's kind of a neat little new town.
Speaker 7: So it's got of it's got a rich like you say, rich tapestry, but a rich history and as well as the certain affluence anyway, there's a certain success to the city itself.
Speaker 5: It's not hired in poverty as much. Yeah, No, it's it's you know, mainly I would say the working class, you know, upper you know, middle working class people, as as could be expected in a in a resource town, natural gas town. But there's also like any community, doctors, lawyers, uh, you know, small Uh, it is somewhat isolated because it's it's three and a half hours from the nearest big city, which is Calgary, and and then yeah, and then beyond that you get uh, you know, you go to Regina, Saskatchewan, and yeah, so it's it's uh out there. As as another author who wrote the book in True Blood described the town of Holcomb, Kansas, where that where that murder occurred.
Speaker 7: But let's get to the subject of the book or one of the subjects of the book, and that is a woman named JR.
Speaker 5: Obviously can't use her real name because of her age, especially hearing We're good in Canada by the Young of Youth Criminal Justice Act. Who can't name her?
Speaker 7: That's correct, right, One of the subjects of The Runaway Devil is a girl named JR.
Speaker 5: Like I said, and.
Speaker 7: I like to know who were her parents, What were parents like, what was their their backgrounds, and what was Jr's early family life growing up?
Speaker 5: Well, one of the odd things about this case is that we really don't know a lot about her years growing up because the people who can tell us here all Dad, that her mother, her father, her little brother. They were all murdered by JR. And her accomplice. So we can only garner, you know, secondhand and through my friend who is a friend of the family. The mom and dad met in Ontario. They were both from her near an area town called Sudbury, Ontario, and they had met there and they moved to Alberta to you know, in the mid early two thousand there was you know, huge boom going on in Alberta, large supplier of oil, the largest supply of oil in Alberta outside of Saudi Arabia and big oil boom going on, So Alberta at the time was a magnet for people from other places and they were drawn to Alberta. They first lived in a little town south of Calgary called Okato's and her dad Jr's dad, Mark, worked for a large gas company called in Cana, and they had a rough patch in their lives. Both of them had had done through UH counseling for substance abuse UH, but they were clean when they when they got married, and they were I I guess they were drawn together because they both had these backgrounds and and they they they had really overcome sort of those problems in their past, and they vowed to each other that they were going to live UH a you know, clean life, and they were going to be model parents, and they were going to raise their children as model parents. And and they were actually inspiration to others. A friend of mine UH Met Jr's mother UH Deborah through UH Alcoholics Anonymous M and narcotics anonymous, and Deborah was kind of a mentor and a real inspiration to UH to a lot of people who were struggling, and and she really worked hard to help people get off substance abuse issues. As far as we know, there was never any substance abuse in the home. There was never as far as we know, you know, no alcohol use. So they were described actually by friends and family and neighbors in uh his little town called lotos as a Norman Rockwell family, and Jr. Was a kind of you know, they went to a church and they were they were they were in school jar with a very smart girl. Her little brother, Jacob was born in this town called Otoes. And then Mark early worked hard, and he and he he bettered himself. He took a lot of classes and and he he got a job as an instrument technician at a gas plant near Medicine Hat. And he was bile accounts, a very diligent UH guy who was good with machines and tools and and UH was a problem solver. And he was a real asset to the UH, to the people he worked with, and to the operation of this key gas plant that was about forty five minutes outside of Medicine Had. And they felt when they moved to Medicine Had that they had really arrived. They had overcome a lot of struggles in life. They bought their first home together in this subdivision, and you know, kind of working middle class people in the area. And Jr. Was, you know, going to school. She was a very bright, smart student. She was on the swim club, She was an a student honorall student, went to a Catholic girls' school, and you know, things were going along well, and then things kind of went off the rails when she kind of the last half of the sixth grade for her, she started to go sideways. And how old was she at that time? She was eleven and a half and she had she was she was very mature her age when the physically pardon physically physically physically very mature when the when the crime occurred in the spring of two thousand and six, she was she was twelve and a half years old, and she did not look like twelve. She could easily pass for sixteen. She was physically mature, but at a just to back up a bit, at about age eleven and a half, grade six and a few other girls at their school, they started getting into sort of darker music and darker clothing and goth you know, goth lifestyle. And it was a Catholic school, very conservative, and and some of the other kids, you know, just were then not making fun of them, but they were sort of the outcasts. As one described, there was the they were the dark group, and the sort of goth these little goth kids and dressed in black and that sort of thing. But things weren't, you know, too bad. And it was when she came back to school in grade seventh grade that's when the counselors and the and the teachers started noticing.
Speaker 4: Hello, it is Ryan, and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpback Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your brighten your day, Lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbu Casino dot com.
Speaker 8: Necessary lost in terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 5: You know a real darker PERSONA to her a dark clothing, short skirts, fishnecks, stockings, dark black lipstick, makeup. You know tears come down, you know, from her eyes and make up things like this. And in that summer between the sixth grade and the seventh grade, she had discovered social networking websites, and she started posting profiles of herself on a number of different sites, including one called Vampire Freaks, which is an industrial sort of goth website, kind of a faithbook or sorry Facebook of the of the goth industrial metal crowd. And and she met it was at that time that she started meeting some older males in the goth community in medicine had it and it was it was odd when I when I went down there to cover this case, I drove into town and here's this prairie conservative, prairie city, oil and gas workers, ranchers, cowboys, you know, military guys. And I had spot right away. There was these kids, these goth kids that I could see, you know, and they stood out, They really stood out in this in this community. And I and I to me, it was almost a throwback. I went, you know, and geez, I haven't seen any you know, goth kids walking around for a long time. And and she had. She was hanging around this a mall, typical mall, and a you know, typical city, and it was there that she had started to meet a couple of older guys from the goth community. A guy that went by the name of Raven, you know, he was really into the into the scene, and another guy by the name of trench Coat, and they were you know, eighteen nineteen, you know that age. She was twelve, but to them she was more like sixteen. You know, she never divulged her age. She was like fifteen. Girls tend to mature earlier than boys anyway, and I'm sure that she thought that the boys er age were you know, geeky and everything else, and on and on and on. So she started meeting these older males and they started calling and her parents then were getting concerned. I mean, their daughter was twelve years old and she was hanging out with these guys who were seventeen and eighteen, and so they had some concerns about it. And then the school had concerns because you know, she was started going through this rebellious stage and everything. But you know what was kind of interesting about her is you know, very smart, very intelligent. How they developed them and and I think she was you know, went through this natural rebelliousness, but she was also drawn to the artistic side of the goth culture, of the music, the poetry, the you know, that sort of brooding aspect to it. There's a very artistic side to the to the goth culture and and and she just kind of got into them. And then lo and behold one of the guys who sort of was on the periphery of the scene and coming into it was a guy. But then with Jeremy Allen Stinky. He was twenty one years old, and he he identified with the goth subculture as well because he came from the wrong side of the tracks. His mother was an alcoholic, he had a you know, there's a lot of abuse in his home, and and the goth community can be very accepting, non judgmental, and you know, and he was an outcast in his life. He was bullied, you know, and people made fun of his last name. His must name was Stinky, and the kids called him Stinky and they and they were you know, he had a he had a rough upbringing, rough life and and all of a sudden, you know, he found this this goth community that accepted him and and he also started posting profiles on Vampire Freaks and a couple other sites and and you know, and the and the thing about social networking websites is you can be anybody you want, you can, you know. She she pretended, you know, to be much older than she was. She had this kind of vixen like image, and she presented herself as being I think fifteen and and and Jeremy was also presenting himself. Oh that's sorry. She had one of her on one of her online names was Runaway Double, and Jeremy called himself sole Leader and and uh so they had these personas online. And with Jeremy, you know, for the first time in his life, he can actually be somebody. He was GoF, you know, guy that you know, and he found acceptance and and and he was a kind of a crazy wild and everybody described him as outgoing and vivacious and and he he he posted on his side and he bragged people that he was a three hundred year old ware wolf. He was part of a Lichen brotherhood and you know, and then they both wrote brooding poetry. So here was this guy twenty one years old from the wrong side of the tracks meets Jr. Middle class, smart, honor roll student at the mall, and you know, she's a middle class kid, and they sort of met, and Jeremy was sort of this everybody kind of looked up to him. He would do anything for anybody, and he would give him a shirt off their back, and he was just gregarious, kind of outgoing. And she was introduced to him by another girl from in that scene, and Jeremy had a green firebird and they went out in the parking lot and they did Wheely not Wheely's donuts and they call them in the parking lot and that sort of thing. And they kind of laughed and hung out and slowly they just started getting closer together. And when this story broke, you know, we were describing them as boyfriend girlfriend relationship, and people would say right to us and say, how can you say that the guy's a pedophile, she's twelve, he's twenty one. How can they be boyfriend girlfriend? And you know what people don't understand is that Jeremy was more like a fifteen year old. You know, he had the intellectual and physical maturity, and you know, he was immature. He was like a fifteen year old kid, and j R. Was like a fifteen or sixteen year old kid, because she was physically mature, she was advanced, she was smart, and they sort of met in the middle and it was it was like fire and gasoline coming together. And her parents, you know, didn't like the older guys she was hanging out with.
Speaker 7: Let me let me interrupt you for a second round. I want to go back just a little bit because I think it's really important as well, is that we've already had them meet, and there you've explained that they're both She's of a few years mature, more mature than she should be for her age, and he is far less mature than his age. So it works out pretty good. And I agree with you definitely on that. Let's go back a little bit though, too, when when there was the clothing infractions at school, and when she was sneaking out to go to punk concerts, and when her behavior changed, like you said, at the end of grade six and then into grade seven. Part of this story is, though, that are parents. You describe them as people that formerly had a little bit of trouble in their life, and I'm sure lots of those people try to overcompensate, like you say, and be really good parents and try to do everything they can for their kids and provide for them and try to prevent them making any of those same kind of mistakes. Now, what did the parents do initially in that from grade six to grade seven? Because I think it's important later in how they respond to when they find out about Jeremy stinky and involvement with their daughter. But before that, what did the parents do with Ja? How did they attempt to to try to change your behavior? And tell us a little bit about that, because I think it's important to this story.
Speaker 5: Well, you know from you know, from one if you look at it from one side of the equation, they were doing everything right. A lot of people say, be involved in your kids with your kids, know who their friends are, ask questions, you know, monitor their computer use, you know, and do all those things. And they started doing all that and they Jr. Had met before she met Jeremy, there was a guy that she met who was sixteen, and her mom wanted to you know, because he was older. He was she was twelve, he was sixteen. She wanted to meet him, you know, you know, they were trying to be good parents. She invited them over for tea Jr. This was the height of embarrassment for her, you know, to have you know, this guy come over and have her mom grill you know, in her opinion. But you know, she was just you know, trying to be a mom and trying to find out what the guy was about, and allowed him to go out. And he was kind of a clean cut, normal, you know, high school kid, you know, and I think her mom was concerned about his age. And as far as we know from both Jr. And both him, you know, they weren't intimate. They'd kind of hung out, but it didn't last very long, and it kind of broke off and she started getting more attracted to these older guys, and so her mom and dad were you know, trying to you know, learn more about who she was hanging out with, and she'd really didn't want to tell him. And there's another aspect to parenting. We're in an age of I think of hyper parenting, where there's moms and dads are called you know, helicopter moms that they're too close to their kids that they want to know, you know, they want to be so involve in their kids that they're not letting have the freedoms that we want that they want now We don't really know. If you know, Deborah was a helicopter mom. Was she being too overbearing or was she just doing the things right to JR? And Jr's point of view, you know, she wanted freedom. She thought, I'm growing up, I'm mature. What do you know? Mom. In fact, my friend who was a friend of the family, you know, said that, you know, JR. Would you know, say things like that to her mom and would say, you know, what do you know? And and you don't understand, you know, typical stuff like that. And so they were doing those those types of things, and they were, you know, trying to find out more, and they were having troubles, and they actually agreed and JR. Agreed to go to family counseling at one time. They decided they would all get together and try and you know, work some of these issues out. JR. Had been grounded at one time. Grounding to her parents was probably the right response. But it's very much kind of a nineteen fifties or nineteen sixties approach. I mean, kids today with internet and it's almost impossible to ground them. You know, they were monitoring their computer use, but she would just go use the computers at school and you know, communicate with some of these older guys and that sort of stuff. So they were doing those sorts of things, and then Jeremy came on the same and then the hammer really came down on her. They become quite strict.
Speaker 7: Did they find out initially how old he really was, though, Like, I mean, you could say whatever you want about maturity being matched, but the simple fact is their daughter's twelve, idiot, This idiot is twenty one or twenty two.
Speaker 5: I don't think they knew his age. The fact some of her friends, you know, even didn't believe he was like twenty one. Some of her friends didn't like them.
Speaker 7: But certainly they certainly knew there was a gap of six or seven years there.
Speaker 5: They knew, They knew that, they knew there was a gap for sure. And you know, and Jeremy, they they had they had cracked dad. They had when she started going with Jeremy and he was calling and they weren't sure who the boys were that were calling, and they just knew that stuff was going wrong, and she was going to these punk shows on the weekend, and and and and to their credit, they actually they had grounded her one time and said you know, no, you know, you're you're you're going off the rails. And then they went to counseling, and then they agreed to let her go to one of these punk shows. They were held in community halls and and you know, golf, metal bands and stuff like that. And they actually agreed to go with her to one of these shows just to find out what it was all about. And the again, to JR. This would have been the height of embarrassment for her, but you know, they they didn't. They weren't chaperoning. They just wanted to go and hang out. And they went with you know, a couple of her friends and her, and they said, okay, I mean she was twelve, and so you know, it's it's yeah, it's not unreasonable for her parents. I mean, they rode motorcycles, you know, they were you know, kind of cool parents, you know, the one respect. So they went to this pump show with her and and you know, they were just kind of walking around on the fringes and she kind of disappeared, and then they ran into one of her friends and they said, whre's Jr. And they said, well, I don't know, and they said, well, so they decided to go look for. They went on into the alley behind this community hall, and they saw her and Jeremy making out in the in the the alleyway, but behind and and Jeremy. Have to understand, Jeremy was a how do you have to describe? I have to describe what do you look like? He had kind of short spiked hair, gold dark eyeline, sort of blondish spiky hair short. He had dark eyeliner that he wore around his eyes. He always wore hoodies, black hoodies, fishnet stockings on his hand wristbands, and he often wore a mask, a cold weather neopren mask with the hoodie pulled up and all that. He was a fierce looking person. You know, no eyebrows too as well. I see from the photo. I'm not sure about the eyebrows.
Speaker 7: He's definitely described the He's a very freaky looking, dangerous looking dude.
Speaker 5: For sure. He was a dangerous looking dude. I just have to refresh my memory of the gentleman. I'm just gonna flip to.
Speaker 8: Uh, Judy was boring Hello. Then Judy discovered jump of casino dot com.
Speaker 5: It's my little escape.
Speaker 3: Now Judy is the life of the party. Oh baby mama is bringing home the bacon.
Speaker 8: WHOA Take it easy, Judy.
Speaker 3: The jumb of life is for everybody.
Speaker 8: So go to chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games and joined today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices.
Speaker 3: Jump jump a casino dot com. No necessary were hitted my plus turns condition to details.
Speaker 5: Oh and hey, Worthies neckerchiefs as well around his around his you know, see he was he was kind of a serious looking dude. And then the comps knew him quite well and they stopped him. He had this firebird new tool around and it's but he was driving down the street with his neopreme mask on over his face and his hoodie up in the middle of summer, and you know, they they're going, you know, and he would he would walk into a mall like that, and the mall security would come up to him and say, you know, hey, buddy, you know, lose the face mask. You know, what do you what are you up to? Right? And so anyway, so they walk into the alleyway and they see their twelve year old guy with his obvious you know, older looking he was either you know, a man, but you know, he could have been maybe eighteen or something to them, you know, and and her mom and dad were really mad, and Jeremy took off one way down the alley and her mom and dad grabbed JR. They took her home, and they were seething mad by now because they you know, saw what was going on. And that's when the hammer came down. They'd groaned to grounded her. They took out, took accord to this is according to JR. They took her computer away, they boxed it up, They you know, took her music out of her room. I mean, according to her, they really really cracked down and you know, just really monitoring her and all that kind of stuff. And that's when she really started, you know, to lose it. And you know, boxing up the computer was no obstacle for her because she would just go to the to the school, to the local library, and she would communicate with Jeremy online. And they started sending messages back and forth about how evil my parents are. And that's when they started talking about, you know, what to do with Jarr's mom and dad.
Speaker 7: Now you haven't talked a little too much about Jeremy Stinky his situation. Where's his father in this situation? What's his mother?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 7: The other situation is is it just the music that she's drawn to and Jeremy's involved with the music the goth subculture here or is there some drugs involved and there is what kind of drugs are we talking about? And how serious are these guys and they're involvement with drugs.
Speaker 5: Jeremy was a pothead, you know, they drank the alcohol I think was a bigger part of their scene. And there are a lot of these kids that they hung her out with, you know, And I should explain here Jeremy wasn't really true goth, what you'd call true goth. You know, there was a there was a girl we talked to who was an older girl, older you know, young woman who said, you know, goth isn't something that you just do to make your parents mad when you're fourteen. It's a it's a lifestyle choice. And the goth subculture itself is you know, non is generally non violent, accepting there's a lower rate of violence in the goth community than there is in the general community. It's very artistic, it's brooding, it's a look you know that sort of thing. It was a goth came about as a as a backlash to the to the sort of you know, you know, nineteen early eighties boy band music and all that, you know kind of stuff. And I actually found, you know, most of the goth kids you know to be you know, pretty neat, you know, pretty interesting. You know, this guy like Raven, he was this brooding, artistic, you know that sort of thing. And but Jeremy, you know, he adopted he was his own version of goth. He was it was more of a violent edgy, you know. And and and you know, people who are true goths, you know, really would would say, you know, he's got nothing to do with the goth subculture lifestyle. He was just an angry, brooding, you know young man and his the guys that he hung out with were you know, they were alcoholics at you know, fifteen sixteen. They smoked a lot of pot. Jeremy had you know, done some cocaine. You know, mainly they were big boozers and getting into trouble and uh, you know petty he had some you know petty crimes and uh, you know, bad checks and stuff like that, and some some minor you know things with the law, but never anything that serious. But and you know, his music, they were into this you know, death metal, death metal music and a number of different bands and uh and and it was it was very dark, and it was very you know, they kind of felt the world was against him j R. Herself. You know, I don't think that she did much drugs and alcohol and you know, so you know, Jeremy and Jeremy had come you know, if we could just talk about his background and in a way, you know, our book is is somewhat sympathetic to him because you can understand why where he was coming from. He he was his mother was an alcoholic. His father, according to the testimony, his natural father was very abusive. His mother. You know, there was violence in the home his his mother then you know, divorced, and she she had a you know, number of men that would come and go, and they were you know, abusive as well. Jeremy describes, you know, being abused by you know, several of his stepfathers and got into a fight with one of them. And and you know, and his mom moved around a lot, and they were they kind of lived, you know, what he described as the slums of medicine hat down by the railroad tracks. And and you know, his mom was from a small town in Saskatchewan. She came to Alberta, and you know, she was a hairdresser. She took you know, beauty you know classes and things like that, and but you know, she and she was she also had she has a terminal lung disease, right, and you know, so his his whole upbringing was just it was just rough and in in a way you can understand, you know, what happened to him because it was Jr. Is a little harder to comprehend because she came from the other side of the tracks. But the one thing as well, they had both gone through kind of breakups at the time when they got together. Jr. Had gone with this you know, kind of wholesome sixteen year old and that kind of went bad. And Jeremy had broken up with a girl as well. And so they came together at this time when they were both seeking something. And Jeremy more than anything in the world, he wanted to be loved. You know, he didn't have that at home, he didn't have it at school. And he found this you know, smart, pretty young girl that he thought he believed was fifteen or fourteen. You know, he thought she was legal quote unquote, because in Canada at the time, fourteen was a you know, a legal age of sexual consent. It since then raised to sixteen mercifully. Yea, in my opinion was fourteen I was absurd, you know, yeah, absolutely. I mean sex is a very powerful, powerful drug at that age. And so Jeremy met Jr. And you know, all these things came together, and Stinky was you know, he was desperate to be loved. You could see that in you know, his friends. He would do anything for its friends. He would he would drive through the night and pick them up, and he would drive them to you know, some town, you know, two hundred miles away to go to a punk show and stuff like that and give people the shirt off their back and on and on and on. But you know, he had this edge to them, and he he fantasized about being a member of the Lichen Brotherhood, this three hundred year old werewolf. And he met this one guy and one time he told this guy, he says, I wouldn't go for a walk by the river on the full moon. And the guy says, what do you mean? He says, well, we'll kill you and eat you, you know, and it was stuff like that, you know, now, is it k problem? Yeah, I mean he played the role anyway. He played the role. I don't think he actually believed it.
Speaker 7: But now now let's get to the heart of this, because this is just incredible part of your book. It is the core of your book. It's just fascinating. How did this really in your investigation? Who started it? We know, we'll say right now that he was bragging about what he could do, potentially what he could do, you know, the whole god scene. Like you say, it's the artistic end of it of people talking more bid conversations or poet dark poetry, the death metal. Nobody's taking this seriously and going on and murdering anybody. But they're listening to Cannibal Corpse and bands like this, so it's you know, it's very serious music, but nobody takes it too serious. Now, tell us what the correspondence was, how this started, What exactly was said, because that's what you do, including your book. What was really said by JR to Jeremy Stinky and what did he say.
Speaker 5: Back to give us that? Please? Well, one of another us why we wrote the book. One of the reasons that we wrote the book is because even after she was convicted, there were people who said, oh, oh, she was just a poor little lamb who has led us stray by the big bad wolf, right, And that's what I wanted to believe. I mean, she's twilved. I desperately wanted to believe that she was just an innocent kid led astray. But when you start looking into it, it's clear that she was the mastermind. And she kept writing to Jeremy and saying, you know, will you kill them? Will you kill my parents? You know, we have to come up with a plan. And she had written one email and said, you know, I have this plan. It begins with us killing them and it ends up with me living with you. And they fantasized about running away to Germany and living in a castle. I mean, it was just ridiculous, right. And he wrote back and he said to her, while I love your plan, but we have to get more creative and stuff. And it was the the you know, kids today think the internet is this. You know, I don't know what they think, but nothing on the internet is private. Your emails aren't private. Now the computer forensics guys from the police department found all of these messages or reams of them, and she was writing back and forth and encouraging, you know, okay, you know, and she kept saying, you know, will you kill them? Are you going to kill them for me? Come on, Jeremy, you know, things like this, and and according to her testimony, she said, olways, just talk. You know, I really didn't mean for it to happen. But other people overheard these things and and you know, they didn't believe it any either. They thought it was, you know, just talk. But there was a real key piece of evidence that you know, when when when the police showed up. If we can just explain what happened, there was on it was April. It was an April night in two thousand and six, and JR had been you know, tal They had been talking about the plan and how would we do it? And if we did kill them, how would we do it? And they talk about stabbing or drowning or poisoning them, or setting the house on fire and all this kind of stuff, and it all came to a head, you know, on this April night, Jeremy was you know, JR. Was grounded Jeremy had gone to a punk show and with some friends of his and they're all drinking in his mom's trailer and they drank all his booze and then they went into the refrigerator and drank all her booze and smoke some pot and on and on and on. And then Jeremy was watching the movie Natural Born Killers. They thought it was the best love story of all time. Well that you know, somebody would you know, do something, and he fat, you know, in that movie, it's a girl who's you know, in an abuse of her mom and her dad, especially as a bad tour and that sort of thing, and and so he decides, you know, I'm going to rescue her and he ends up killing the family and they go off and they go on a killing and he had written a NEMO saying, yeah, well we've Jane Arb been talking about we're going to do it this weekend and it's going to be just like Natural Born Killers, and we're gonna start a killing spirit across Canada. Right. Well, they all say it was just talk. Really didn't mean for it to happen, but JR. This night ered, Sorry, JR is grounded. Jeremy's and his months trailers drinking. They're brooding about the whole situation. This has been going on for a couple of months now, and they've been kept apart and they're sneaking out trying to see each other. They had she had stuck out of the house, the house very cleverly. One time they had sex, and you know, and things had gotten to ahead, and he was watching this movie Natural Born Killers with some friends and there was a point in the movie where he said to one of the witnesses who testified the point in the movie where the family is killed and they spare the little brother, and he said, well, that's where it's going to be different, because JR. Is going to kill her little brother. Well, and that in fact ended up what ended up happening. Now, if that wasn't discussed, planned and advanced, why would he have said that? Her brother was an eight year old boy. His name was Jacob. He was into Star Wars and you know, he thought he was a little Jedi knight and he had a little typical little eight year old boy. And Jeremy's watching the movie. Your friends are there, people start to disperse. He gets a call from JR. And we don't know what was said in that conversation because people in the other room only heard bits and pieces. But after he gets the call, he leaves and he goes out into the night, and he and he had asked friends. He had asked a couple of friends, will you help me with this? Because he didn't think he could do it himself. He asked a former roommate of his, and he asked a friend of his, and they both said, you're crazy, man. You know, you're insane, and what are you doing running around with twelve year old girl, you know, and get your act together and all this kind of stuff.
Speaker 7: But he told me he was going to murder the whole family.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, they were gonna murder. They were talking, you know at that time, the mom and dad, and you know, he said, and he said, will you help me with it? You know, we're gonna kill them. I can't remember if they you know, I had mentioned the little brother as well. But all his friends told him, no, you're absolutely nuts, so you know, I'm not going to do that. But they never went to the police, you know. They always thought, oh, it's Jeremy, it's just being crazy, you know. So he gets this call from Jr. Whatever it said that night sets things into motion, and he heads out into the night. In this April evening, it's kind of drizzling. He goes over to a friend's house, does a lot of cocaine, and they had he had been drinking all day long and they had drunk you know, beer and booze and smoked a lot of pot. And then he goes over this other guy's place who was a small time coke dealer and user. And he goes over to his place and they drink coke and then they drink wine, and and he had asked this guy, he says, how do you clean blood off? And knives no, you know, stuff like that. And they, you know, people were half stone and know what's going on. JR. Then go leaves or not JR. Jeremy leaves that place. It's about now three thirty four o'clock in the morning. He is higher than a kite. He goes over to a local all night grocery store. He buys some gum because JR. Didn't like him smoking cigarettes and smoking pot and he can she could smell it on his breast, so he'd buy some gum. And then he goes over to the house, and he's got his hoodie on, he's got his black neoprem mask, he's got the fishnet armstockings, and he had a knife. He was he always he said he always carried a knife for protection because he was bullied as a little kid, and all of his friends sort of carried knives. It was part of the you know, the the accoutrements of their scene. Right, So he throws a pebble letter window. She motions for him to come around to the back. He goes around to the back window, goes in, and her mom hears this noise and she comes downstairs, and according to the testimony Jeremy he insists that he didn't go into the house that night to kill anybody. He just wanted to scare them, take her out of there. They would run away, go to their castle in Germany. He says he sees her mom come down into the basement. It was a three level, four level split. She comes down, cheers this noise, and he says, I just freaked and he started stabbing her. You can imagine what the mom seeing this guy in a black hoodie and a black miirpremum mask, dark eyeliners. You know, he would have been a ferocious sight and Jerry pie and cocaine. He was on Boozy was on the pot and he just started stabbing and stabbing and stabbing. And then the dad came down and heard this, and there was a ferocious fight between him and Mark and I can't let's see he had Deborah had twelve stab wounds. Mark had twenty four stab wounds right, blood all over the basement. It was just an awful, awful scene. And um, after he finished, he walked upstairs dragging his bloody sleeves, bloody closers, blood streaks on the walls. When the police came in, and he goes upstairs, and that's where it gets murky. Jr. Is doing something to her little brother. The testimony is conflicting. Jeremy insists that Jr. Was stabbing her little brother. She insists that Jr. She admits that she stabbed her little brother there once, but not very hard quote unquote, and that Jeremy was the one who go to her into doing it. And and then she claims that Jeremy finished him off. After the murders, Jeremy goes downstairs. He's pacing wildly back and forth in the in the house. So I got to get out of here. I got he's paranoid, he's on todd he's on coke. And and Jared says, well, just wait a minute, I got to collect a few things. So she nonchalantly goes upstairs, starts getting a few things together, does some clean up. Jeremy can't stand it. He rub boats out of the house, runs into his car, drives away, vomits on the side of the road, drives over to his you know, back to his mom's trailer. His mom's not there. She's never there. She's out on a bender. Jared comes down. There's no no Jeremy. He's abandoned her, you know. And and and so she's she calls the and she says, where are you? And he says, get over here, you know, right away, and that sort of thing. And so she calls a cab, books the cab for you know, come pick me up in thirty minutes, takes her mom's bank card, goes to the little seven eleven grocery store all night store, takes some money out of her mom's account, comes back, gets in the cab, goes to Jeremy. So in court, you can imagine how this played out. Well, jeez, you didn't. You didn't have a plan, but you went back to the to the man who just butchered your mom and dad, and you know what were you doing? Well?
Speaker 7: What else did they do as well? I mean it gets a little worse than that. I mean they didn't just get together and then try to cover up their tracks. Tell us what they did, dad, he'll insult injury after they.
Speaker 5: Well, so they go over. She goes over to Jeremy's trailer and they have post murder sex. This is not uncommon for Team Killers. That happens. And then they they decide to h They go back to the to the place where where Jeremy had done the cocaine a few hours earlier. They grabbed a little bit of sleep. But then they decide that they're going to go to a party. Uh. Jeremy has a black eye from the fight with with her dad. Uh, he's got a pair of dark sunglasses on. They go to this party and you know, with Jeremy's buddies is it is The place is just a party house, an animal house. It's just a pig's die, It's a I drove by the place a couple of times it's a you know, four plex, you know, and there's you know, an old chair that's been thrown off the balcony, and there's you know, broken beer bottles all over. And go to this party and everybody's drinking. And at a party which is less than a mile from the house where the murders were committed. I mean, they were either so brazen or so stupid that you know, they they they have this, They go to this party, they're they're cuddling on the couch, they're making out. You know, people testified that, you know, in fact, a lot of There was one girl at a young young woman, teenager, she had out to child. She was a single mom. She had gone back to that place that day she wanted to. It was her exterit the father of her child, that sort of owned the place. He was a notorious and drunk and alcoholic, had been in jail the night before. She was actually put off by you know, they were you know, groping each other on the couch that she had to leave the room right And they didn't know that any murders had gone on. And and but Jeremy had this black eye and he would he kept you know, lifting his dark glasses and showing his friends as big shiner. You know, it was a badge of courage. And finally he told one of his best friends what had happened, and he said, well, we did it, and he said you did what? And he said, we gutted them like fish. And the guy said, you guys are crazy. I'm getting out of here, right and he left. And how they say about the little brother. Then they added something up a little brother, Oh yes, yeah, and the he jared they were down in a bedroom and they ever he's drinking. This party was going on, and Jeremy says to his frind, he says, we gutted them like fish, and Jr. Without any prompting, says, yeah, my little brother gargled because his throat had been cut. And the guy said, you guys are crazy. I'm getting out of here. And I didn't even know if he even believed them at that time. So anyway, eventually the party winds down and now it's starting to get evening. The bodies were discovered at about one point thirty in the afternoon. By now it's all over, you know, starting to break on the news and everything like that, and they're starting to get nervous, and Jr. And Jeremy are then spirited out of town by another friend of Jeremy's and they'd drive to a little town called Leader, Saskatchewan. They spend the night shivering in the car. It's cold, it's the Canadian prairie, it's a springtime. They were low on gas. They were in this truck. Jr. And Jeremy slept in the back of the truck. Three other girls were in the front. They were all huddling and cold. And in the morning they didn't have any gas. All the gas stations were closed.
Speaker 2: So they.
Speaker 5: Park and you know, just outside of town, and then the sun starts coming up. They turn on the car and they'd drive to a gas station. And there was a very smart young rookie arshy and p officer who had had the all points bulletin that some people in a in a car, in this vehicle they had a description might be coming to this community. And and the the the reason they they knew this because all the all these kids who had been at this party and then new Jeremy and it was new of all this talk. All of a sudden see on the news that these murders had happened, and and and uh. And to their credit, they came forward to the police, and they were disturbed by it. They were shocked, you know, all of a sudden they realized it wasn't just talk my god, it really happened. So they had a description of the vehicle. They had gone to the school, you know, to find out. Oh, the the real interesting thing is when the when the cops showed up at the house. They find the bodies, the mom and dad, the little brother. But there's a picture on the of the family sitting on the coffee table, and there's a girl in the picture and she's missing, and they think, my god, where is she? We missed a body relock. They can't find her, and they think, well, where is she? They think it's going to be horrible if she comes home and sees this mess. We have to find this girl. And they found out that she was a member of a swim team. Maybe she was away in a swim need They go to the school to try and find lists of her friends so they can start calling. Because they were under the impression that she had been abducted maybe or was away. They weren't sure what was going on. They go into her locker and find a very disturbing drawing that she had made of stick drawing, a ten panel cartoon of the family being burned alive. And there was a mom, a dad, a little boy, well a little figure, stick figure, and then there was another stick figure off to the side, laughing and then running off with another stick figure. In the distance, there was this crudely drawn truck and it was labeled Jeremy's truck. And the police officer saw this and went, oh, my god. And on the flip side of it was a poem that she had written, and it was, you know, may who burn in the eternal flames of Hell or something like that. And he knew, he knew right away. Oh, you know, she's not an innocent little hole. She hasn't been a duck that this implicates her in the murder boom, you know. And the chase is on. And so this RCMP officer in this little town called Leader, Saskatchewan gets the you know, information that this truck me and on a hunch, he thinks, well, I wonder if they're gonna need gas, And so he he drives around all night, you know, not doesn't see anything. So he goes home gets a couple hours sleep, and then he comes back in his own vehicle and decides to park by the gas station and lo and behold boom, you know, the vehicle pulls up Alberta license plates. Three girls get out of the front walk in, and he goes, oh, you know, and they're matching the description. They drive away. He calls for backup. They pull onto this school yard. They don't know where they're going and what they're going to do. And they had gone into the store and they saw this, this picture of the house on the front page of the Medicine had news with forensics investigators bringing bodies out of the house, and Jr. And Jeremy, you know, we're reading it, reading the paper, you know, and pointing at it and pointing out errors in the story and all that kind of stuff. And still their friends believed that, you know, believed them that they didn't do it, you know that, you know, for some reason. And then and then and then one of them finally twig and said, like, you know, we got to get you guys out of here. You know, they think you're guilty. We got to get you out out. So they drive away. This cop is following and he calls for backup. They pull over into this school yard. The police around the vehicle, get the three girls out of the front. They opened up the back and there's jam Jeremy in the back and the gig was how they they were arrested in charge with three counts of first of your murder. Now we don't have very much time.
Speaker 7: We've just got about a minute here. So basically, I just want to tell people that the trial is a very fascinating part of your book as well. It's you know, this is I got to I got to commend you on a great book.
Speaker 5: It's a great story to start off with.
Speaker 7: But you've really written this really well, and I suggest anybody who's listened to this interview to pick up this book, Runaway Devil, Robert Remington, Sherry Zigfous a great, great story and very well written, and I think you're gonna have a lot of success with this book. It's just a fascinating story and you really draw everybody in. So I want to thank you for greening this interview too, Robert.
Speaker 5: So now I thank you very much. And kind of one of the scary things about this is then she's going to be out of jail, in a little over a year. And because she was, you know, a young offender, so they were restricted as to how much time they could give her. And she's going to be back out in the communit no time.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, another scary thing too, is how long will he be in jail in Canada? With Canadian laws?
Speaker 5: For me, he'll be in for a minimum of twenty five years. He'll still be a young man. He'll be forty eight. I believe we're around there. Yeah, forty seven, forty you know, it'll be under fifty by the time he gets them. Yeah, just incredible. That's like a minimum. I mean, he could get more, but who knows, Yeah, who knows.
Speaker 7: Well, it's hope. So anyway, that's hope. So but thanks very much. You've done a great service with writing a great book and then letting people know. I knew a little bit about this story, but there's just no way that I'm really glad I got a chance to read. This is a great book.
Speaker 5: Hey, thanks a lot for having.
Speaker 7: Okay, thank you, so have yourself a good evening, Robert, All right, take care of by bye bye bye. You've been listening to the program True Murder, The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. With your host stan Zepanski, have yourself a good evening, good night,