Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Cast Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Nicole. As we moved through the final week of summer. Boy, that's what happened to summer, it seemed like a Memorial Day yesterday. My name is Dan Ray. You know what your name is, so I need no introduction, but thank you very much for being here tonight, and thank you very much for being with us every night. I am always astonished and as sounded and astounded and appreciative of all of you who will take the time any weeknight or every weeknight and tune us in here on WBZ on Nightside. We will soon be starting our eighteenth year in this format and in this program, and again, I just can't tell you much I appreciate the loyalty of all of you. Whether you're a first time listener, happened to maybe pick us up on the radio driving somewhere in Illinois, Wisconsin We're at WBZ ten thirty and or am Island again. If you aren't able to get us on the radio, you can always listen to WBZ News Radio twenty four to seven, three hundred and sixty five days a year. Just go to iHeart Radio to the iHeart Radio app. It's free. You can download it for free, and you can listen to us anywhere in the world. And we do have people around the world listening to us. So you're not alone anyone. Well, I'm alone because I'm remote. However, Rob Brooks he's back in the control room in the big broadcast studio and he's all set to take your phone call nine o'clock. But first we deal with news stories and topics of general interest, sometimes culture, sometimes entertainment, sometimes sports, sometimes whether, sometimes traffic. You just never know what you're going to get. And we'll start it off tonight at eight oh well it's actually now about eight oh nine with Boston Globe reporter Dana Gerber. Dana Gerber, Welcome to Night's Side. I'm not sure we've had the pleasure of your company before. How are you tonight?
Speaker 3: Once before? But I'm not offended, don't worry.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, and I apologize. I always like to welcome people. So now you are a regular as far as I'm concerned on Nightside.
Speaker 3: Feels like the firs time.
Speaker 2: Dan, I'm no problem. Thank you so much. And so you're right for the Globe and you have written a very interesting piece that was. I'm not sure if it's in the Globe today. I read the Globe today and I'm not sure I saw it or if it's posted today. But the piece is who is leaving Massachusetts and why. Here's what the report reveals. I'm guessing this is going to hit the print version tomorrow morning. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: I believe it was in print today, but you'll have to fact check me on that. It was a pretty short story, so, oh god, I've.
Speaker 2: Read it, but I didn't read it in the in the print version. So the report came out yesterday for the Massachu's Budget and Policy sent which, as you say, is a progressive think tank. Who's leaving for our beautiful state?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's it's a pretty interesting report in that, you know, obviously as a progressive thing tank, mass budget supported question one which a lot of the listeners might know is the millionaire's tax. So they are putting together research pretty regularly to indicate that, you know, the millionaires tax isn't having the effects folks were worried it might that, you know, high earners would be leaving the state. And the way they put together these reports this through census data I r S data and and similar stuff, and its reports sort of indicates the same vat same argument that you know, high owners aren't the folks leaving Massachusetts, and the highest numbers that's actually working age adults who are lower middle income. That was what they found. It really bears noting that the data they were looking at does not reflect the time period in which the millionaire's taxes had taken effect yet, so that those numbers are still to come. But so far it seems like, you know, it's not there's not a massive exile of the state's highest earners. But again, we will see what new numbers bear out in the coming months and years.
Speaker 2: Well, for example, you make three points in the article. I guess three points that we're made, and it says, according to most recent measure the Massachusetts population is still growing. So we are up by eighteen thousand year to year July first, twenty twenty two to July first, twenty twenty three, we're up by a quarter of one percent. I guess a quarter percent tick. That is encouraging, but it's also paul free compared to the population growth in other states.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yeah, I mean, it's just it's hard to compare you know, apples and oranges. Massachusetts has a lot of its own quirks. You know, there's it's not as fast a growing state as like you said, other states. But you know we're still you know, in the black, which is which is what you know, politicians and business leaders and everyone do look for.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, but we're The point I'm trying to make is I think that the migration the states that seem to be picking up population and also, by the way, picking up seats in congress because as your population grows, every ten years, they recalibrate the census around the country and all of a sudden you'll see Texas has picked up two, you know, two congressional seats, in California has lost three congressional seats. And you know, we see that every ten years or so. So the people who are leading says fifty five percent of the people who left between twenty twenty one and twenty twenty two, which I guess this is based on prior to the implementation of the millionaires tax. We're working age adults twenty six to forty five. Those are people who contributing to the tax. I would be really worried about them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it's certainly concerning, and that lines up with you know, figures we've reported before that you know, this is the group leaving at the highest rate, and that you know, it's anyone's guess why that is. It could be that, you know, they want to start a family and they need a bigger house and really can't afford what's available around here. It could be that, you know, they want to live closer to family. It's it's hard to sort of opining about what's why these folks are leaving. But you're absolutely right that, you know, not only for the tax base, but for the labor force. You know, this is really not the age group you want the parting a state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it says the majority of those leaving are not high income earners. That's the point three, which is kind of an interesting point. It says about one in six of the residents who left Massachusetts between twenty twenty one and twenty two, and it's important that's the time have incomes exceeding two hundred k. That's not bad, but it says, yeah, a larger group, eighty percent had incomes below two hundred k. Well, so that was a little bit below two hundred k. Yeah, yeah, it's a weird it's a weird cutoff they picked. I'd love to know what the median income was of the mean income of those leaving Massachusetts. They're all contributing if they're working and earning money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's that's that's a good question. I don't have that off the top of my head, but I just want to make it clear that the so it's of the twenty six to forty five year old who are leaving, so that's the only group they're looking at. More than eighty percent of those people had incomes below two hundred thousands, so that they're looking at a subset of a subset.
Speaker 2: No, I get that. But what I'm saying is if you're twenty six and you lay twenties and you make you make in two hundred k, or if you're in your thirties and you're making two hundred k, that's not bad coin. I don't know. Yeah, I mean no, it's go.
Speaker 3: Ahead to say no, no, no, I was just gonna say it's tough one. You know, two hundred thousand really doesn't pack the punch here that it does. And like you said, maybe Texas or elsewhere in the country. So it's you know, it's the math in Massachusetts isn't always the same as the math elsewhere.
Speaker 2: So I get that. But there are parts of the state outside the one twenty eighth belt where housing is much more reasonable. And of course now we have the other development that a lot of people can work from home. The zoomsters, if you will. Companies have found out that they can have very employable people who don't have to trek into the office every day put on the jacket and tie. They can do they can do their work from home, which is always really you know, there's my phone ringing Rob. Get that next guest on the line, which anyway, bottom line is it's an interesting study. I'm going to look at it more closely. Uh thanks for for breaking these studies down, because all too often we read about them and and we kind of go past them. It did say that the majority of people who are leaving Massachusetts, the majority of people who are leaving Massachusetts are going to Florida in New Hampshire to look to Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, again, those I just want to say that that's it's not the majority, it's the those are the top states where people are going so it's, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I understand that. But it's but it's not like they're going to New York. In California, Yeah, certainly no.
Speaker 3: I mean those those two states have no income tax there. Yeah, it's it's certainly.
Speaker 2: They're not going. They're not going as they would say in New York. They're not not going to go to New York in Jersey. They're looking at Florida, and Governors Sonunu and Governor DeSantis must be very pleased with with with the that that pattern. Anyway, I love the column, I love your enthusiasm for your stories, and we got to have you back more often. Dana, thank you so much for joining us tonight. I really appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Absolutely talk soon when we get back. I think that was my next guest calling me on my cell phone, but that's a story for another night. In a moment, we'll be talking with Amy Laramie. She's the director of brand marketing and events from Killington Resort up in Killington, New Hampshire. They are about to have a great women's ski event on Thanksgiving weekend, So if you're looking to spend Thanksgiving in Vermont and go to a great ski event. We'll get you all the details coming up with Amy Laramie on the other side of this quick commercial break here on Nightside. My name's Dan Ray.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, I am delighted to welcome Amy Laramie. She is at the Killington Ski Resort up in I think all of us know Killington Mount and the Killington Ski Resort. She's the director of brand Marketing and Events from the Killington Resort. And Amy's going to tell us about a great event coming up Thanksgiving weekend, the twenty twenty four and it's called the Stifle. I hope I pronounced that correctly. Amy, Stifle Killington Cup. Tell us about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you for having me. So it's the Steephel Killington Cup.
Speaker 2: Stepel like a George Steeple. Okay, thank you. I was thinking of the Eiffel Tower. This this Stiefel. I got it.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, No, that's fine. So it's the eighth year we've been hosting this event, and we're very excited to have Mikayla Schiffrin, Paula Moltsen, aj Her Nina O'Brien come back to Killington for another race this year. Mikhayla Schiffrin might be actually getting her historic one hundredth victory at Killington when we host this event this year. It all depends on how she does in races before comes to Killington. But tickets are available and they're on sale. So we have general admission tickets available for ten dollars and then there's different ticket options if you wanted to do premiere Premiere grand stand tickets are just sitting in the grand stands as well as VIP tickets.
Speaker 2: You know this is these are women's racers, what sort of events? It's obviously all downhill is it's all slalom? Tell us, I'm not an expert in skiing. I got to be honest with you. I enjoy watching it and with the greatest women's skiers, downhill scheme racers in the world, I mean, this is going to be a huge success for you guys.
Speaker 4: I'm sure, yes, awesome. Over the course of the weekend, we have upwards of more than thirty thousand fans visiting Killington on the World Cup weekend and we are very excited to host this once again. We see giant slalom and the slalom events here at Killington.
Speaker 2: And how many women will compete, how many competitors will will be trying for this price money.
Speaker 4: We have about one hundred competitors coming to Killington from all.
Speaker 3: Over the world.
Speaker 4: There's about the two countries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are professionals skiers who are representing their countries in the Olympics. It's like a skiing Olympics, is what it sounds like to me, which which is fabulous. Killington. You said this is Thanksgiving weekend, and as they said earlier tonight, what's better than to spend Thanksgiving in Vermont, particularly with family, and then go watch the ski races. Is it Saturday Sunday or Friday Saturday Sunday?
Speaker 4: So the races are Friday and Saturday, or sorry, the races are Saturday and Sunday. And on Friday we kick off the weekend with a athlete, big presentation, fireworks and stay tuned because next weekend we plan to announce all of our entertainment acts. And so this is more than just a ski race, is actually a party over Thanksgiving weekend at Killington, and we have some great entertainment acts every year that we plan to announce next week.
Speaker 2: Well, that's faculous. Now this is part we need to put in some context here. This is part of a world tour of these fabulous female skiers. Give us a sense as to where the Killington event sits within the world tour. Obviously it's early in the ski season, and you told me earlier tonight that Killington opens the earliest and stays open the latest into the spring because of your snowmaking capacity.
Speaker 4: Correct, that's correct. Yes, it's the Audi FIS Ski World Cup circuit that this event is on. And we host this Thanksgiving weekend and not many East Coast well, I should say no other East Coast ski resort could probably host this events on Thanksgiving weekend. But we have a great snowmaking capacity here at Killington. We have the longest season in the East. Many times we're doing multi sport weekends where we're mountain biking as well as skiing and snowboarding at the same exact time over the course of the weekend.
Speaker 2: This is fabulous. You've done this now, you said several years, so you know how it runs. And are there do you guys adequate accommodations up there? People want to stay at the resort as well. I assume the tickets are available, but there is lodging available as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's many local lodging facilities across Killington as well as into Rutland as well as the Woodstock communities. So if you want to come up and stay for the weekend, which we would encourage you to do, there's many accommodations available.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's great. And the skiers, what percentage of them? And I know I'm asking a couple of questions that you probably aren't prepared to answer, but approximately what percentage of them do you think have skied internationally representing their own country in Olympics? In the Olympics.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm actually not sure. That's a great question though, Okay, but.
Speaker 2: I'll bet it's been a lot. I bet it's a lot of them.
Speaker 3: I bet it is, Yes, So I'm.
Speaker 2: Sure there's not that they're going to bring their gold medals and their silver medals and their bronze medals to display. But I'm sure there's a lot of great skiers and great with great records and accomplishments. And it sounds like to me a perfect way to start the winter, perfect way to end the fall. And a perfect way to spend a Thanksgiving weekend. Amy, I appreciate you being available tonight. I very much appreciate that. And whenever you're doing up something, whenever you're doing something up in Killington, you let us know and we'll give you a little bit of publicity on her.
Speaker 4: Okay, that sounds great. Thank you for having me tonight.
Speaker 2: Welcome again. Give us the website one more time so that people, uh direct them to where they get the tickets. What's what is the specific.
Speaker 4: Website Killington Killington dot com. Backslash World cup Boys.
Speaker 2: That's pretty easy. That's that's good. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: We try and make things easy.
Speaker 2: Well, absolutely, Amy Laramie, the director of Brand Marketing and Events from the Killington Resort in Killington, Vermont. And when you think about it, I mean, we're getting close to the end of September. There's only a couple of months away, so get your up here. Oh I wish I hadn't said that. Oh no, no, that's okay, No, No, it's just that it's like, I'm a summer guy. My brother and his wife are great skiers, uh, and they're up up there in New Hampshire and Vermont. You know, most of the winter I like to kind of sit by the fire in the lodge, and that's that's the most that's the that's my best wind. Yeah, that's my winter activity. Thanks again, Amy, enjoyed you very much.
Speaker 4: Thank you for talking again.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. Okay, when we get back, we're going to talk about a little bit more serious subject, and that is keeping Calm and Coping with Grief. Nine chapters for managing fear and grief for losing a parent or a loved one. We'll talk with an author coming up, Richard Allen. He'll have a lot to say. It will not be as much fun as a Killington ski event, but it's something we all need to at some point in our lives cope with. Back on Nightside right after the News at the bottom.
Speaker 1: Of the hour, it's night Side.
Speaker 2: News Radio. All right. My next guest is Richard John Allen. He's a published author specializing in grief books. Richard, how do you become an author specializing in grief books? There must have been a story or how you came to write about a pretty tough subject.
Speaker 5: That's a great question, Dan Well Sadly, for me, it was because I lost my father to cancer, and my dad died in twenty twenty, and at the time, I was waiting for one of America's largest insurance companies. I've been there fifteen years. I believe I had a successful career there. But when I lost my father, I was gutted. I was devastated. And it was my wife, Alison who suggested that I should write a book about grief, about what I was going through. And fortunately for me, Dan, I'd never lost anybody so close to me like my dad, and I'd never suffered grief before, so this was a new emotion for me. I didn't know what to do. I didn't know how to handle it, cop with it. I didn't know how to arrange the funeral, how to read the will. There were so many things that were foreign to me, and I was terrified. And of course, throughout all of that, I was in so much pain because I just lost my dad.
Speaker 2: So how old was your dad when he passed.
Speaker 5: He was seventy nine, which wasn't too old, I guess right.
Speaker 2: I don't think that sounds young to me. That sounds young to me, Richard. I obviously you were close with your dad, so out of that horrific experience came this book, Keep Calm and Cope with Grief, nine chapters for managing fear and grief when losing a parent or a loved one. I know you can't tell us all of the secrets of the book in a relatively brief interview, but give us either an overview or tell us a couple of things that people might learn from the book. I hope some of them will buy it so when grief does hit their family, they'll be able to have this as a as a guide through and coping with grief.
Speaker 5: Actually, Dan, you just summed it up. It is a guide. I have written five books, you know, and again my wife has put me on this path. I'm on a janey. It's like a quest I wanted answers. You know, I'm a Catholic. I've got strong faith, but believe it or not, I wanted to proof on it. Doesn't know where my dad was. So looking back now at my first book, Keep Calm and Cope with Grief, as you just said, it really is a guide. It's a guide for somebody who has just lost a loved one, and it's also a guide for somebody who is about to lose a loved one. So whether it's you personally, or whether it's a friend or somebody else that you know who may be about to lose a loved one, I believe this is a great guide for them because, as I mentioned before, I'd never gone through this before, and there's so much to deal with. My mother is still alive, and when we lost our dad, she was left with paying the bills for the house, organizing everything, and it was traumatic for him that of course too, So in my book I touch on that too. I mean, we suddenly realize is that losing a loved one doesn't just affect you, it affects everybody around you, right, And this book is a guide to help you go through that step by step. I also put you on signs from loved ones, because to this day, I still get signs for my dad, which is a whole other story. We could talk for hours about that and about life.
Speaker 2: Touched on that just briefly, you obviously, and I do believe. I happen to be a believer as well and never ashamed to talk about my belief. And it sounds like you're not ashamed to talk about your belief. I would hope that there is something beyond this mortal coil for us to find. And yeah, you know again, we won't know until we leave here. No one can convince me there isn't, and I can't go no do I try to convince people there is. But tell us what your experience has been with your dad, because I've had those sources of experiences, and I suspect many people in the audience have had similar experiences. Give us an example exactly.
Speaker 5: I've had thousands of people contact me now in the last three or four years since my dad's passing with stories and examples. But for me, I've got dozens of instances now. Just to put this out there, my wife is a scientist and she believes in data proof and facts, and now she believes she's convinced that these are signs from my dad. And one quick example, when my dad told me back in February twenty twenty he had cancer, my wife and I jumped on the first flight over there, and we stayed in a hotel close to the house because I didn't want to be there and cramp my dad because he was going through so much anyway. But in the hotel at two o'clock in the morning, there was a man outside the hotel playing Sweet Cattle Line by Neil Diamond, and for some reason down that song is stuck with me now and every time I hear that song, I break down. It just reminds me of my dad. Well, my dad passed away in November twenty twenty. Fast forward two years. I'm back home in America. I live in the States and my family's in Liverpool. So when me and my wife go to bed, and I always put my phone on the bedside table and plug it into charge at night. But once, yeah, and I think most people do that. At one sixteen am, my cell phone goes off and it's playing Sweet Catline by Neil Diamond, and it plays it from the chorus, not from the started song, and it's on loud. I jumped up in bed. I looked around the room and I shouted out, Dad, you know is that you? And Allison wakes up and she's like, what's going on Richard? And I was like, I don't know, And I picked up my phone and I couldn't get the song to stop. Now that song is not on my phone. You know, I have Pandora, but Pandora wasn't open YouTube wasn't open. There's nothing on my phone but that that song is not on my phone. So how did that play at once sixteen and wake me up? And I couldn't. I had to switch off my cell phone. I could not get that song to stop. And my dad knows because of it it several times since its passing that it upsets me and it's my song for my dad. And there it was playing on my phone at one sixteen in the morning. So I can't explain it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you've had other experiences like that, so that that has to help you. That experience has to help you. You said there are nine chapters in the book. Is the book currently available? I assume it's on Amazon and at the traditional bookstores that most people go for books.
Speaker 5: I assume, yep, right right now, Dan, it's on Amazon. All my books are on Amazon. I actually use my dad's name as my author name, so it's John Allen. My full name is Richard John Allen, but my author name is John Allen and that that was my dad's name, So in love and respect for my dad, he used that name. But all my books are on Amazon, and if you go to my website, Richardjohnallen dot com. You'll see a bio one may All my podcasts and my books are there too.
Speaker 2: Well. Again, I think it gives hope to people, whether they believe or not. Every every family has been through this, uh and and I'm sure that if you read this in advance uh and, before you'll lose someone, you'll be a little better prepared. And maybe can I can pull some papers together and be prepared and ready if, if, and when, as inevitably it comes for all of us, that day comes and exactly John Allen formerly Richard John Allen for when I say formally, I mean formally full name, but John Allen, the author, thanks for joining us tonight. And I hope your dad, wherever he is, had a chance to listen to this interview, because you have to come away from this interview knowing how close you and your dad were. And I'm sure that if he was able to hear this tonight he he's once again pretty proud of you.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, John, Thank you, don thank you.
Speaker 2: Are good night. All Right, We're going to lighten it up a little bit on the other side. But that's an interesting book again. It's called Keep Calm and Cope with Grief. Nine chapters for managing fear and grief when losing a parent or a loved one. And again, all of us have been through that, but it wouldn't be bad to have this as a guide, so I'd suggest to you different book stores and also of course at Amazon dot Com. When we get back, we're going to be talking about Massachusetts two fifty. Massachusetts, we were in the middle of the Great Revolution of seventeen seventy six, but kind of started here in Massachusetts with the Tea Party in December of seventeen seventy four. Maybe we didn't learn as much about this in history classes in school of the Revolution in Massachusetts' role, but we're going to learn a lot about it. And there's a new program that has just started. It's called the Massachusetts two fifty Initiative, and we're going to talk with Boston Herald reporter Chris van Buskirk about it and about what we all will be experiencing in the next few months, in the next couple of years here in Massachusetts, as we move up to the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence in July of twenty twenty six. It's not that far away. We'll be back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: Well, there's some big events coming up in the next two and a half years or so. Next well really the next a little less now than two and a half years. July of twenty twenty six will be upon us less than two and a half years, and we're going to talk about it with Chris van Buskirk of the Boston Herald. He is a great reporter at the Boston Herald. And Chris, I know you covered some of this activity at the State House yesterday. I guess we're all going to be living through this, just as our four bears lived through the actual Revolution two and a half centuries ago. How are you.
Speaker 6: Tonight, Joe, Well, Dan, thanks for having me. Yes, I suppose over the next two years we will be living through this two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of American Independence that Governor Kewley and her administration kicked off with quite a show yesterday in front of the State House, including a direction descendant of Paul Revere riding up Bacon Street on a horse and delivering her a warning that the British were coming, albeit maybe a bit late at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there was Look, all of us who have been around remember the VI Centennial and the Vice Centennial in nineteen seventy six was a great event for Boston. I mean it was it was glorious. Elizabeth came to Boston, the tall ships came to Boston. What are some of the things, I mean, obviously as we go by the dates, we got the tea party coming up in December, I'm sure there's going to big be a big event with all of that activity, tell us some of the things that we should be anticipating.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, it's kicking off pretty quick here, I mean just in the next just this month, I mean, there's celebrations in Conquered reflecting on the Revolutionary War itself, more celebrations in Marblehead as well, and then there's the Chelsea four hundredth anniversary parade later this month. And I think we'll learn more exactly, you know, more about what exactly will happened, you know, this upcoming in July later on, but certainly the governor is pitching this as a likely economic driver for the state. As you said, you know, not too long ago, it was a boon from Boston, a boone from Massachusetts. Governor Healey thinks that will be the same thing this time around, and Mayor Michelle who was also on hand, just pretty much echo the same comments. This is going to be good for the city, good for the state.
Speaker 2: Did did all of the political leaders who were there yesterday, did they feel that we're ready for whatever my coming. I mean, obviously, back at the time of the Vice centennial, it was all celebration. I don't think any of us even had heard the term terrorism at that time. And now it's fifty years later, and we all know what happened on nine to eleven. We know what has happened. I have to assume that the security for the two fiftieth is going to be immense. Was there any conversation or discussion about that yesterday?
Speaker 6: No discussion during their speaking program about security. But I have to agree with you that I would imagine the administration, the city, the state Police, Boston Police, you know, all those law enforcement partners are prepared and ready for the events that will happen, the upcoming events. I think yesterday was really focused on just outing this is really just an opportunity for the state to bring in people from all over the world to come celebrate both American independence, but of course where this country of ours started, where democracy was formed. And how amazing of an opportunity that our state has right now to kind of capture the line light.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm sure the Philadelphia is going to be in a friendly competition with us, particularly as we get towards twenty twenty six. What sort of an economic boom? I always hear these figures quoted Chris and you know, let's say, well, it's going to be a billion dollars or five hundred million dollars, And I always think they picked those numbers out of the year. But do they really believe that there'll be a lot of people who are going to be interested and come to Massachusetts, I know, who've never been here before from all over the United States. We are we ready for the traffic and all. What they did they talk about that issue, the whole issue of capacity and being able to accommodate people and accommodate them comfortably.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, I mean Boston obviously a city well used to tourists, well used to the massive amount of college kids they come in during the academic year. I think the administration certainly believes it's ready to handle both the both the influx in Boston and statewide. As far as numbers, no specific numbers yesterday, but Heally did say that this would be quite an opportunity for our hospitality industry, for our restaurants to really pull in people, for some of our academic institutions to show themselves off our museums. And you can go down the list of just kind of the attractions in Boston and across the rest of the state that they might pick up, you know, anywhere from a few extra guests to maybe quite a bit more.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The other than the Paul Revere like it was Paul Revered, the third a direct descended rode that horse yesterday, so a quick shot. The governor was astride or horse as well. I only saw the still shots, I assume, And if I'm incorrect, were you there at the event yesterday?
Speaker 6: Yes, Yet Heally did take a quick stin on a horse. She told me that there was an empty one with the lancers there, and she just said, oh, there's a horse, it's empty. She got on. Healey told US reporters that she grew up with horses in New Hampshire. Wasn't her first time on a horse, you know. She obviously knew what she was doing and really commended them for being beautiful creatures there.
Speaker 2: Well, that's great, Chris, I appreciate it very much. Always love to have you here on Night's side, and thanks for bringing us up to day in this. It's going to be a very interesting time to be here. None of us were, well, very few of us were around at the h hundred and fiftieth anniversary in nineteen twenty six, but you probably weren't even born. I was here, and I remember as a young reporter covering some of the events. The tall ships were here and as they said, the Queen and Prince Philip, it was an exciting time. Kevin White was the mayor, he was in his glory at that time. And now we have an entirely different set of characters. So looks looks like it's going to be a good time. Let's hope it all goes without any sort of incident that we might come to regret. Let's just hope it goes off flawlessly and good planning are involved. Thanks again, Chris, I appreciate your time.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having Dan.
Speaker 5: You're welcome.
Speaker 2: All right, we come back. I would like to go back to the story that we talked about on Monday night, and I want to hear from the State Police what happened to this young recruit, Enrique Delgado Garcia, and I hope you will join the chorus there, because the longer that we go without getting any information in to the best of my knowledge, there has been no specific information given but officially as to what happened. So with that said, we're going to go to the nine o'clock news. We come back. We're going to talk about this horrific loss to a family, but also again another black eye to the Massachusetts State Police that just seemed to have problems after problems, and I think we need some transparency, We need a full investigation. But somehow we should be given this week what we know or what we don't know about this terrible loss. Back on night Side, right after the nine o'clock news,