Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: I am justin Worsham.
Speaker 3: For those of you that are long term KFI listeners, you probably may recognize my name. Back in I think it was twenty fifteen, I got the job as the board op for the Bill Handle Show in the morning. I did that for a couple years, and then management at the time felt I made the show sound too silly, and so I looked for another gig and Gary and Shannon were kind enough to have me on their show. So Wednesdays from eleven thirty to noon, I am on their show talking parenting. But that is not what I am here today to talk to you about. That is my little bit of my background in radio. But what I'm here to talk to about we're doing a real estate Southern California real estate talk show. So when I left radio, I got my I had my real estate license in twenty thirteen because I wanted to get into property management. I did that for about four years. That's actually how I saved up for the house I bought in Bourbank, California. Anybody out there, especially if you're here for the entertainment industry, look into property management. It's a great way to find affordable housing. In most cases, you could live for free in a place, and I was maybe putting twenty hours in a month managing that place, and I was getting a free twenty one hundred dollars a month apartment.
Speaker 2: It was awesome.
Speaker 3: When radio did not look like a good option for me, I thought that real estate would be a backup. Like I'm sure most realtors out there who are listening can agree to. Very few people grow up going I want to be a realtor when they're in elementary school, and it actually became the career that I loved, and it's something that I wish I had done since I was twenty. So I got my license to twenty thirteen, started me. I was a real a full time agent. In twenty eighteen, got my broker's license, and now I own and operate my own real estate brokerage here in southern California. And the first thing I wanted to talk about today, we're going through questions that I get a lot as a realtor, and so I'm hoping that you guys will find this interesting because these are kind of ranked in the most common questions. The biggest one that comes up now is that there's a misunderstanding about how realtors, particularly realtors that are representing a buyer, get paid in this market. A lot of people think that there was a law change. There was no law change. It wasn't a legal change. Everything is exactly the same from a legal standpoint. What happened was that there was a settlement made with the National Association of Realtors due to a class action lawsuit that originated in Missouri, and they settled for I think is somewhere around four billion dollars.
Speaker 2: That's irrelevant.
Speaker 3: What was happening in those states is that the listing agreements that sellers were signing did not disclose that part of the commission they were paying their realtor to sell their house was going to their competitor, the buyer's agent, and so they weren't aware of that. In California, we've always had that, But part of the settlement was we had to remove the commission, or what we call in the real estate industry the cooperation element, from our multiple listing service or mls. So no longer when I list the house can I say I'm going to give this buyer's agent two and a half percent. That's not how it works anymore. So then now people believe that they have to pay their buyer's agent, And in most cases, that's not what I'm seeing, at least in the market, not what I'm hearing from any of my friends in the industry either. Everything is basically functioning exactly the same way it was before, only now a buyer's agent has to have a conversation with a buyer ahead of time to explain this, where before you never really did that, or at least most of us I would argue didn't. And you also have to have a buyer representation agreement in place, and that's because I can't just go pick a house that's available and put it on the market to try to sell it. I have to have a contract with that seller. And this new change means that when you're representing a buyer, I can't just go out and show them houses and expect to be entitled to a commission. So I need to have an agreement in place between the two of us. And now they've even streamlined even better, and it's getting better that you put in the contract what your buyer's agent is going to get paid for. Instance, I usually ask about two and a half percent. In my experience, that's about the most that you get. We're not supposed to talk about like commissions and break it down because it seems like we're rigging the industry. But I'm just giving you averages here, not making any kind of suggestions or saying that these are hard lines. This is just general blanket statements. And so I submit an offer, and in some cases a seller might come back and say, I'm not going to give you two and a half percent, but I'll give you two percent, And that's up to you as the agent, and you and the buyer and everybody I have had on the listing side. Recently, I had an agent who submitted an offer and they said that they wanted my client, the seller, to pay three percent. When I presented that to the seller, the seller was like, that seems a bit high. I gave him the rite info. I said, based on averages that I've seen, yeah, that's high. Usually on the higher end it's two and a half percent. So my seller countered back and said, we'll give you two and a half percent, but we're not going to give you three. The agent said, I've been working with these guys for a long time, so I think I'm entitled to three percent, And with all due respect to that agent, what I told him is like, well, I will take that to my seller, but I believe that that's not my seller's problem, right, my seller should not be paying you for the time that this buyer took to find a house. So that's to me. An added benefit of this change is that sure should there's now there's this added layer of negotiation, which was actually the intent of the lawsuit. They just wanted everything to be negotiable. I also think that their intent was that they thought realtors are the reason why housing is so unaffordable in general in other places, and I just I think that's insane. I just don't see how realtors have that much of an impact on the housing market, and I would love to find out more. If you disagree with me, you can go ahead and hit the talkback feature on the iHeart app and send me a message about that. I'm also looking to see if you're hearing from people who are leaving California or you left California. I want to know why, because we're going to be talking about that a little bit later on Also I'm going to talk about, because this is the next big question that I get, is that the impact that the fires have had that unfortunate, horrible, horrible incident that we had in January. There's a lot of belief, much like other things, like when the pandemic happened. Everybody was like, this is going to be the thing that changes the housing prices in southern California, and so far we're not seeing it. So when we come back, I'm going to talk more about why I think that the fires are not going to have the impact that most people out there trying to buy a home and live that American dream in southern California, they're not going to see those prices come down the way that they would.
Speaker 1: Hope you're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 3: When I was a kid in elementary school, I wanted to be a stand up comic. I was fortunate enough to work the road for like seven years, but when I got into middle school, Oh, I wanted to be a radio shost That would be such a fun gig, right, And so at least I'm getting to try it out for two hours today, and then we got two hours again next Sunday from two to four, still talking Southern California real estates. I feel like it's going Okay, did one segment.
Speaker 2: The real test is yeah, in school grade school, was your citizenship excessive talking? Oh, yes, for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I always I'd always got good grades, but never had satisfactory citizenship.
Speaker 2: It was always us.
Speaker 3: Everything was unsatisfactory as far as my behavior in the classroom perfect. So now I want to talk about the other question I get a lot is the fires. And what I believe this comes from is if you're out there and you're trying to buy a house in southern California right now, it just sucks like there's nothing, there's.
Speaker 2: Nothing good about it.
Speaker 3: I hear from clients when I'm helping them find a house all the time that they're like, who pays this much money for a house? When I started in real estate and kind of my home area of Burbank, that's where I live, the median house price was around nine hundred and fifty thousand dollars and now it's one point four million dollars and it is insane. Don't get me wrong, it's crazy. And so everybody likes to try to find these things they're hoping, they're dreaming that something is going to change that. And we're going to talk about affordability later, but I want to lead into what I think is going on behind these fires, and I think what really started this whole thing, in my opinion, is that as soon as they happened, there were a lot of reality TV stars that are on these like real estate shows. I think the million dollar listing guys, I think they do pretty well, but most of the other shows that I've looked into, I could go in the MLS and I could look and see what they do in production, and it's not a lot, so they're very good being television people. But I saw a lot of people being good at being reality TV stars and saying this is going to change the market.
Speaker 2: My phone is blowing up. And maybe it's.
Speaker 3: Because I help what I would consider to be more middle to upper middle class clientele, and I'm not a luxury agent. The most expensive house I've sold so far was a five million dollar, humongous, beautiful place in Tarzana, and then from there it's usually around one to one point two million on average, So maybe that's why. But I think all of this started because the overregulation of the insurance industry by the state of California. They were trying to make it a thing where insurance companies were charging the same for everybody, regardless of their risk assessment, and they thought that that would make it more affordable for people to get insurance for their homes. And I think they also thought somehow that that would somehow make it more affordable, like I think they thought that that was part of the reason why houses cost so much more. They love to I've noticed they love to blame other industries. They don't want to blame the legislation. They don't want to blame like I've heard from developers, it's fifty thousand dollars before just to get start the process of doing a development or making a building, before you even put a shovel in the ground. And they have all these impact survey or environmental impact survey, so you have to do all these studies, and it just it doesn't help when they get overregulated in that way. So in California to fix that, because then what started happening.
Speaker 2: The first one I heard was State Farm.
Speaker 3: They were the first one to start saying, we're not writing policies in California anymore, and so they came up with the California Fair Plan, So it's a subsidized fire insurance policy.
Speaker 2: And I looked into it.
Speaker 3: Only twenty two percent of the structures in the Pacific Palisades Fire and only twelve percent of the ructors in the Eton Fire were actually covered by the California Fair Plan for Palisades.
Speaker 2: That's they're estimating.
Speaker 3: That's four billion dollars in costs to replace those properties or in damage, and the Eton Fire at seven hundred and seventy five million, So sixteen thousand structures were lost during those fires. Horrible tragedy. I hope I'm not being insensitive to it in any way. Not my intent at all. What I want to do is just look at it from just a strictly numbers. They take the emotion out of it, take the trauma out of it. There's an organization that I found in preparation for the show called SKAG. It's the Southern California Association of Governments. The best way I could describe it, it's as if the counties of Southern California decided to form their own un and they get together and they share resources, they share information and they make plans for all of us that live here in southern California. It includes Imperial County, Los Angeles, Orange Riverside, San Berdino, and Ventura.
Speaker 2: Back in March of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: They adopted what they call the six cycle of the RHNA, and that's the Regional Housing Oh man, I'm blanking on that s assessment. It's basically what they said is, these are the amount of new houses that we need to bring to the market in order to meet the growing demand. And right now they have a projected plan in order to meet the demand. Again, this is just to meet the demand that they see of one zero point three million housing units by twenty twenty nine. There is no way that the loss of sixteen thousand units and those horrible fires is going to come close to meeting their projected demand. The other added fact is that when you dig a little bit deeper and you look into it, because of just the limit of land availability, legally they only could do about four hundred thousand of those one point three million units that are needed. That's our bigger issue here, that's the problem. That's why even with these high interest rates. I looked into it too crazy appreciation in both Orange County and in Los Angeles County. That's not what's supposed to happen. When the interest rates went up a couple of years ago, it's supposed to drop the prices. That's what's supposed to happen. And we didn't see it happen. And everybody's like, why, why, Why isn't this happening? And I really believe it's because we still don't have enough houses car The California Association Realtors also commission to study. I tried to find it because I saw a webinar on it like two years ago and I was fascinated by it. They did this webinar where they researched major markets all over the US, and what they found is that if you live in an area of high population density or high desirability. It's important to note that high population density or high desirability, so it doesn't even have to be dense with a lot of people. It's just if this is a place people want to live and the primary housing option is in the larger percentage is what they call R one, a residential essentially a single family home, the home that you grew up in right, not an apartment building, not a condo, not a town home, just a single family, standalone home across the board. Those areas have an affordability issue, So you have to be able to build up. You have to go up. You can't have a ton of houses there. You can't do these large swaths of single family neighborhood. Anybody who's flown into lax or a Hollywood airport in Burbank and you look over the La basin, it is just a ton of single family neighborhoods. And that's where in my experience, everybody wants to be able to live in a single family home. Nobody wants to live like they're in New York. Only New Yorkers are fine living in condos that I've seen. They like the building living and a lot of cases sometimes even single ladies, they make it. They feel like it makes them feel more safe, they feel more connected to the people, and they're enclosed and I don't know, it's like a warm blanket that covers them. So my opinion that there is not going to be an impact on a housing or the cost of housing from the fires. Unfortunately, honestly, I know that this may not be popular amongst people who already own their homes, and maybe even some realtors. Although if you're a relter and you don't like the fact what I'm about to say, I would love to have a conversation with you. I would love for there to be of housing correction. I would love for prices to drop, because the affordability here in California is just it's awful. It's awful, and I do plan to talk about that in the next hour. I want to talk more about what it is. Why, like what can we do to make houses more affordable? And I mean to give it to you in a Nutshell'll dig it into a deeper later on. We just need more houses. It's not realtors. It's not the cost of insurance, it's not natural disasters, it's none of that. It is basic supply and demand. And for whatever reason, the legislators can't wrap their mind around that.
Speaker 2: That's the easiest way to fix it. You have to find a way to make.
Speaker 3: It easier for developers who build new construction homes to make money doing it, and they will fix your problem for you.
Speaker 2: Why.
Speaker 3: And that's the other thing with these fires, The thing that was blowing my mind and that's what I started to talk about with the insurance stuff, is that when these insurance companies started looking at the way things were going in California and they were running the numbers, they started to say, we're not writing new policies. And that's because the entire function of their industry, the way that they make a profit, is assessing risk. And so I'm sure that they didn't know to the day, or they didn't know when it was going to happen, but they had a very strong idea that something was going to go horribly wrong for their industry, and they didn't want to get caught up on it. They wanted to mitigate that risk as much as they could. And so that's why they stopped writing policies in California, because they knew something was going to happen. And we should have looked at that as like a canary in the coal mine. We should have said, oh, maybe there's something wrong with the way we're handling homeowners insurance in the state of California.
Speaker 2: Maybe it shouldn't be that regulated again.
Speaker 3: If I would love to hear from you, hit that little microphone on the iHeartRadio app and I want to hear the talkback. I want to know if you left California or you know someone who left California. I want to know why, and I also want to know where you went, where you're going let me know. We're going to be talking about the difference. You hear what advertise you see them on television. When we come back, we're going to talk more about these what I call wholesalers. These are great people who give you the option of like I'm just going to pay you cash for your house, no contingencies, know nothing, and I'm going to make it as easy as possible for you to sell your house versus using someone like me, a realtor. We're going to talk about that more when we come back.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: This is justin Worsham.
Speaker 3: We're talking southern California real estate. If you're just joining us, I'm a licensed real estate broker, former KFI board op and producer and just general I just was listening at last promo. I have an unhealthy I think love for Gary and Shannon, like I just think they're just they're They've done a lot for me, so I got a lot of love for them, but I just I think the world of them.
Speaker 2: They're great people and I just love their show so much.
Speaker 3: Robin, I understand we had somebody who was nice enough to take advantage of the talkback Can we hear that?
Speaker 2: Can you help me with that? Please?
Speaker 4: Hello, great idea for a show I would like to know. Is it true if you house is on the market for more than sixty days, you as the buyer lose all your negotiating tactic.
Speaker 3: Thank you, that's a great question from Kathleen. Thanks for using the talkback feature. If you also have a question, I would love to do that. So if you're listening on the iHeartRadio app and you have a question, hit that microphone in the top and it lets you, I think, leave like a twenty five second voice clip that you could send us as a voice memo and we get to listen to it.
Speaker 2: Now. I'm going to guess that probably much.
Speaker 3: I hope it's not coming through, but I would be lying if I didn't say I was a little bit nervous. I'm weirdly enough, I'm nervous because I felt like I would be more nervous when I don't know if I told you this when I first started the show the first time I ran the board Robin, You'll get an amusement out of this. The first time I went to just hit the first button to fire into the lead of the show, I blanked on all of the training, had no idea. I thought I forgot everything how everything worked, and I almost passed out and got lightheaded.
Speaker 2: And I have zero of that right now.
Speaker 3: I almost feel weirdly too comfortable, which it brings its zone sets of nerves. But I think, Kathleen, the reason you're asking your question about sixty days negotiating for a buyer, what you meant is as a seller. And here's why I'm gonna say that. I'm gonna answer both ways, just to be fair. If you are a buyer and you are looking at a house that has been on the market for sixty days. Last time I checked, the average days on the market in California were twenty eight during the pandemic at its peak, it was like six to seven half of the homes in California during like twenty twenty, twenty twenty one in California, the entire state, we're selling in less than a week. It was crazy times. And now what's hard is that when you help sellers, they're not used to it. Like, I have a listing right now in Burbank that is priced below any other three bedroom, two bath home in Burbank, and it's We've been on the market for two weeks now, and I'm telling my seller now is not the time to be nervous because they're used to the old market. So if you have a house that's been on the market for sixty days and you are the seller, I would argue, yes, you're probably losing some of your negotiating power because you don't have a lot of offers that are coming in. If you are listing your house, always trust your agent, right because there's a reason why you have that relationship.
Speaker 2: There's a reason why they're there.
Speaker 3: So I wouldn't necessarily feel comfortable arguing with them about your circumstance because I don't know it. But let's say you were my client and you had a house somewhere in the LA area or even Orange County that had been on the market for sixty days and you've had zero offers. Usually your first issue is you got a price issue. That means you're overpriced. Now, what happened with the interest rates when they came up in Oh, I'm blanket on the air, I want to say it was twenty twenty two. I think that's when the March of twenty twenty two is. Want to say the rates jumped up. The biggest segment of the market that was impacted were condos and townhomes because they are the lower priced option. So if you were somebody who was looking for a four to six hundred thousand dollars condo or town home in southern California, a lot of your competitors or competition got priced out of the market.
Speaker 2: They just couldn't afford it anymore.
Speaker 3: I was helping a young couple and they were capped out at four to twenty five, and so we were trying to help them find a two bedroom condo up in Canyon Country, Anna Clarita area, and if the rates ticked up another half a point, they're like, we can't buy a house anymore. So now what's happening in that segment of the market is if you have a condo or a town home, it's stacking up. And so, just like I've said before, it's basic supply and demand economics. The more supply, the more town homes and condos that keep adding to that area. Then that means that there's more supply than there are people looking to buy it, and so naturally the price just kind of comes down.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to flip it.
Speaker 3: Though, So as a buyer, if the place has been there, I feel like it gives you more negotiating power because chances are at that point. I usually recommend clients do about twenty thousand dollars no more than that below list to start a conversation. But the better way to do it is to have your realtor pull comps on it. Comparable market analysis. We call them comps for short. It's when they look for houses that are similar to the house that's on the property.
Speaker 2: They call that the subject property.
Speaker 3: A good realtor is using the same kind of criteria that an appraiser would use to assess the value on the property for a loan if it was under contract or an escrow. So you're going to look at that to see is the house overpriced, and then try to find it. Very rarely do I come across houses when I'm representing buyers where the seller just has like an unreasonable Like by unreasonable, I mean crazy unreasonable, like hundreds of thousands of dollars above where it should be. Sometimes what you'll see is a flip will sometimes have that because they probably they just underestimated the construction or rehab costs when they were flipping and updating the house.
Speaker 2: If you don't know what a flip is, it's where you buy what we would.
Speaker 3: Call distressed home, a dump, a fixer, just something that probably most people wouldn't want to live in unless that's all they could afford in southern California, because it's so impossible to find something affordable, and you buy that and then you renovate it, you fix it, and then you'd sell it for more. So you see that where usually it's like the builders like I just have to get this to cover my nut, Like this is what I need to get out of this house in order to pull that off.
Speaker 2: So I don't think and then I guess.
Speaker 3: The one thing I want to just clarify too is negotiating tactics.
Speaker 2: I just want to be clear, like I don't.
Speaker 3: Think you should you shouldn't go into buying a house like offering high I've had a lot of signs that come up as a listing agent where people come in and like, we're just going to offer high and then we're going to talk them down. The other thing that buyers love to do is they love to come at me and say, here's the thing. We're going to counter back with the lowest number, and then they'll come back with the highest number. And I mean this with all the kindness and love in my heart, but you are not the first person to think of that. That is not how negotiation traditionally works in real estate. I'm not saying it never worked. I'm just saying that your odds of success with that are very little because what I've seen happen more often than you get that number you're looking for is now you've just made that seller angry, especially now where technically we should be trending for prices coming down, and all we're really seeing is houses are taking longer to sell. So if you got a seller as an idea of what they should be getting in their mind, and now they're not going to get that price and they're just sitting there or they're already in a frustrated headspace, and now you want to come in and offer them eighty to one hundred thousand less than what they haven't listed for, especially if there's comparable sales that have happened within the last ninety days that would support their listing price and their value, then that's gonna make them angry. Think of what how you would feel if you were selling the house. It's interesting to me that, again, when I help buyers, how little they can see the other side. Everybody is so focused on just getting themselves, and every once in a while you have people who are like, even if they're getting a deal, I've been fortunate enough. In the last month, I got one property for a client in North Hollywood that it was seventy five thousand dollars below market value, and it came in sixty thousand dollars. The appraisal came back sixty thousand dollars more than list and that usually means that that's how good a deal that they got. And I'm like, I'm a pretty good agent. I like to think I'm a good one. I'm not saying that to brag. That doesn't happen all the time. This is just a circumstance where I had some listing agents that were using an old model for pricing that just didn't work.
Speaker 2: So Kathleen, I hope that answered your question.
Speaker 3: If anybody else has a question, please use that talkback feature. Also again, shoot me a message if you want. I want to know if you know somebody who's leaving the state of California. I want to know why hit me up on that talkback and I didn't get to it. So we're gonna We're gonna go back. We're gonna talk wholesalers, these people that offer to pay cash for your house. You could stay there as long as you want, You could leave as much stuff versus using a realtor, which one makes more sense.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 3: Justin worshow me here with you talking Southern California real estate got tons of people are hitting the talk back, and as far as I could tell, not one of them is my mother yet, So I'm really I'm gonna take that as a win.
Speaker 2: Richie. Just take note.
Speaker 3: If any of them are named Cheryl, that's my mom and we should definitely prove that first, because she's probably just trying to make me look good. But I love you, Mom, and thanks for definitely will thanks I appreciate. So I didn't get to talk to this in the last segment. But it's something that comes up a lot for sellers. So you see probably you've srobably seen television ads, you've heard them advertise here on KFI.
Speaker 2: I call them wholesalers.
Speaker 3: These are companies, people, well whatever you want to call them, who are offering to pay cash for your house, non contingent. What that means is they're saying, I will buy your house. I don't need to get it inspected, I'm not worried about it getting an appraised appraisal for the value of the home, and I don't need to get a loan. I'm just going to buy it. And what they also do is they say, here's the thing. And traditionally in this market, it's about a twenty one to thirty day s grow on average. Some of them go a little longer if a seller needs more time to be able to find a new place. But they're saying, we could wait three months, four months, you could pick the day that you move out.
Speaker 2: You can also leave all of your furniture or trash.
Speaker 3: Whereas the standard purchase agreement in the state of California requires that a home be at least broom swept, but you could literally just pack up and leave in any junk that isn't a keepsake or whatever. You could just walk out and to me, in my opinion, there's only really one downside to that, and it's that usually they can't find a way to make it cost effective for you, like they can't make you as much as a realtor can.
Speaker 2: And I want to emphasize this.
Speaker 3: I mean usually I have in at least three different instances, I have had sellers come to me and say, so and so is offering me this amount to sell my house. Right, So, when I look at that amount, and when you account for the commissions that they would have to pay, which is in this market usually not hard fast. Again, there is no way of setting commissions, no legal requirement for commissions. They are all up for negotiations. But traditionally a seller is still paying three to six percent or I'm sorry, it's five to six percent in commission for a sales price that I look at it and go, if it's about a five percent difference in price, it doesn't make sense for you to use a realtor. So, but there's also data that shows before the realtor's light their pitchforks and torches and descend upon Burbank to find me.
Speaker 2: There's also research that says that if you use.
Speaker 3: A realtor versus trying to sell your home by yourself, so we call them fizzb as realtors for sale by owners, and you usually get thirty percent more on the sales price of your home than if you sell it yourself. So a realtor will get you thirty percent more. So they're making you more than what you're paying them in the commission.
Speaker 2: So what do you do? How do you know what the right thing to do?
Speaker 3: Is? The right thing to do is to talk to these companies. I would recommend you do it in this order, because if you talk to a realtor and then they start to list your house and you put it on the market, in most cases, at least as far as I know, those companies kind of go away. They're not interested in doing that. They're interested in just making you one offer and saying this is what we'd like to give you for your house, Take it or leave it. So I would start with those companies. I would find those places that you're seeing advertise on the television. I would make note when you see them. I would google them. I would listen to the companies that advertise here on KFI and get their number and call them and just see what's your offer there. Then I would recommend that you talk to at least three other realtors. And you're going to have to use your gut on this. Because I had a listing appointment in Tuluca Lake recently, which is up in the San Fernando Valley, and it was a woman whose father had passed away, had a house that just as it was right there, was probably worth about one point two million dollars. And the son was very excited. So this would be the grandson of a technically the owner right he was inheriting the house. He was excited because he had heard from a few realtors that he could rent this house this house out for ten thousand dollars a month if he updated it. Now, when you look at the data, it had been done. But when I got in there, and this is how I lose a lot of my listing appointments is to be honest, I'm too honest. I'm just like, this doesn't make any sense. I said, well, who is going to be able to afford ten thousand dollars a month, like, yes, it's happened, but their anomalies. Also, those houses sit on the market for at least three or four months because the market share of person who's looking for that house is so small. It's not a large group of people that are like, you know, what I need is a ten thousand dollars a month rental, because technically what we look for is realtors, and what we recommend, the industry recommends, is that you make at least three times anywhere from two and a half to three times whatever your rent is, right, they want that in monthly income. So you're looking for somebody who makes thirty thousand dollars a month to rent your ten thousand dollars a month home. People who make thirty thousand dollars a month and are not looking to buy a home are not planning to stay here for very long. So now you're kind of running what I would say is a glorified airbnb, which is not an investment. Airbnbs are not an investment. That is a business. You're starting a business because you've opened your house up.
Speaker 2: You're the house you own, and you're making it into a hotel.
Speaker 3: There's maintenance costs, you have to have it clean, you have to get furniture, like all of those things are what you would find in a hotel.
Speaker 2: And that's not an investment.
Speaker 3: Having a vacant property that you then rent out for years at a time, I would argue that's an investment because it could sit there passively. I have an property in Apex, North Carolina, because I wanted to see what it was like to invest out of state. This sounds like I'm bragging nowt I swear this is I'm just talking off the cuff like I would at any open house, But I just I wanted to see how is it better to invest in real estate outside of California. And so far, my experience has been great. I've never even stepped foot in this house. I treat it like you would a stock. It's no different than buying Tesla or whatever. Procter and Gamble in my opinion, I'm just I put money in there and then I make a little bit back off of it each time. So going back to this, you want to talk to realtors and go with your gut to see like something in your gut is going to tell you, especially if everybody is saying the same thing, you're going to know if you're being sold. There's lots of different types of realtors. I don't like that we get hit with this like stereotype that we're all just basically use car salesman who sell houses. Don't get me wrong, I've come across them. They exist out there. I have one who's a dear friend of man. Shout out to Brian. He looks like a used car salesman. And I love this guy dearly, and I hope he doesn't hear me say this. He looks like a used car salesman. He talks like a used car salesman, but he's a great realtor. He cares about his clients, but he's not a used car salesman. So you want to make sure that somebody's looking out for your best interests and not their own. And I think, I really, I have faith in you. I think you could figure that out. You could suss that out, and then you look at all the data. Traditionally, most people when they're looking for a realtor, they take the first person they were recommended. And don't get me wrong, when that comes my way, I'm very happy about it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: But I also feel very confident that those people I know I'm going to take care of it. I know how I operate, I know that I'm looking out for other people. But I've had I've had flat out conversations with other agents that you could just tell that they don't really care about the people they're helping. It's just about the commission bottom line. And that also, I don't think makes them horrible people. I know it's scary and I know it's unnerving to buy a house, but I really feel like the same thing can happen with a car. You go in and you have all of the best intentions of buying a car and somebody sold you something that later on you found out isn't good. But statistically, more often than not, people buy cars that they enjoy for a very long time. I feel like it happens a lot more that way than it does that they get hosed, And so far, in my experience, the same thing goes with shopping for a house and looking for looking that kind of stuff. Oh man, this isn't so bad. I think I'm doing good. I feel I feel pretty good about it. Thanks Robin, appreciate the thumbs up.
Speaker 2: I haven't. This is We're gonna.
Speaker 3: Try this for two weeks and either either you could tune in and you could hear the train wreck and maybe that's exciting, or I do okay, or maybe it's how it's it feels like it's going right now. It's fair to Midland, and hopefully that's not boring enough. Most people love a good train wreck, I must say. I know, that's all I'm kind of waiting. What's really gonna go wrong is if something really bad happens in the world. I don't want that to happen, just because I don't want anything bad happen in general. But that's where we're gonna see me flummox. I could talk real estate like I was at an open house before this, just talking for hours talking to people about the show. It's hard to get me to shut up at an open house. I love talking. I geek out about numbers, and I love this job so much. But let's see we got We're still no. We're gonna pivot because I've been asking you about what you're gonna do people who are lead in California now going into or two of our fantastic show here, I want to hear some real estate horror stories.
Speaker 2: People love to share some horror stories.
Speaker 3: I got a couple if you don't have any, that I will share at the very end of the show, which is going to come up right before four o'clock. But now when we come back, we're going to talk about why are people leaving the state of California and is it enough to affect prices.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that
Speaker 1: Later on KFI AM six forty on demand