Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property. And for this week of May fifth, we're continuing with Running Point on Netflix with episode seven. And it's called a Special Place in Hell. And I can't figure out why it was called that, Like, did we ever get any reason? It's for moms.
Speaker 3: It's that special place in helme mos moms about moms, especially moms who involved themselves in their adult children's lives.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine it?
Speaker 2: Moms?
Speaker 1: That mom out of here? What an obnoxious mom.
Speaker 2: Yep, guess what she had good reasons for doing what she was doing.
Speaker 1: She did. At the end, we see what happens when Travis' mom is not there writing on him. Yes, and so this from a parenting point of view, advice for moms. You have an important job, and you know you have an important job. In this case, her job was keeping that kid off pills, and so you need to not do things that get you kicked out of that job. Right if you had just like been a normal human being, nobody would have had any problem, right.
Speaker 2: But Bonnie, Yes, and like, ps, where has she been for the previous six episodes keeping him on the straight and a little bit narrow? Like she she.
Speaker 1: Should always just haven't talked to her.
Speaker 2: Right I mean, yeah, but I mean that's she's been annoying everybody. A sitcom move, for sure.
Speaker 1: It is definitely a sitcom move, entirely a sitcom move.
Speaker 2: And as a problem of the week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's a problem on myself. I resent this depiction. I have got up, gotten up in the faces of people who I disagree with in the way they are treating my young person. I have done that. I have never stripped however.
Speaker 2: Have you made some crash bag chicken?
Speaker 1: I have never made trash bag chicken, though I'm kind of intrigued by it.
Speaker 2: Yes, you might have to get your chef on that.
Speaker 1: I kind of think my husband would go for that and find a recipe for it. It sounds like he's got a very practical, practical take on cooking. But yeah, yeah, this was Hey, we can get Nicole Sullivan for a week.
Speaker 2: What should we do with her?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Well, she.
Speaker 1: Was fun, but it just was it just yeah, I've been a mama bear. Not that kind of mama bear, but I've been mama be.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They did pack a lot into her appearance. Yes, you know, she she got a lot done in the two days or however long she was. This this was meant to be taking place. And also going back to the it's a sitcom thing, I do not care for placing Isla and the coach in.
Speaker 1: It. I was yelling at the TV, Yeah, you guys.
Speaker 4: No, not necessary, please, not only is it just a stupid sitcom dumb Okay, let's put these characters in a bag, shake them all around, throw the Yatzi cup out, and see you know which two pieces of dice bump off each other.
Speaker 1: It's also you know, it's just like there's been no nothing leading up to it at all. Yeah, no indication.
Speaker 2: Previously been shown to be perfectly happy with her fiance and this.
Speaker 1: Has never been anything other than professional and.
Speaker 2: You know, friendly, right, and like, let's let them have a cordial business relationship, Like why can't we do that?
Speaker 1: So annoying, but I think we have to agree that in an episode that had that annoying development in the making and an aggressively annoying, intentionally aggressively annoying character and Travis's mom, Yes, the most annoying plot plot thread was Jackie, come on, really, yeah really, this has been a PSA. Kids, lots are throwing themselves at you. Bad things will happen to your intimate anatomy.
Speaker 2: Well, and I did enjoy the later Eye was yelling at him, says like where a condom? And he goes, I'll go put on. That's not gonna help, but okay, if if it makes you feel better.
Speaker 1: Oh dear, I just I mean, I hated that plot development last week, right, this.
Speaker 2: Just made it more annoying. Continued to it.
Speaker 1: Alone, It's like, yes, oh well, he.
Speaker 2: Seems to have figured out how to smooth things over with the big boss who's like chairman of the board or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I couldn't. I didn't know who he was the first two times we saw him.
Speaker 2: But I think that's who I mean, we've seen him in previous episodes.
Speaker 1: I know we have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he finds out that, you know, Jackie has what shall we say? Anyway, he finds out that his daughter has and Jackie.
Speaker 1: Have saying her name. Are we supposed to recognize her name?
Speaker 2: Well, I think Jackie knew her as something else maybe or he just didn't make the connection, but you know, so he wants Jackie fired. But Jackie does figure out that some groveling and an edible arrangement will blackly do the trick.
Speaker 1: But if if we are not supposed to know the name already, the fact that they mentioned it like five times means that she's going to be showing up someone. We'll be back and we'll hear that name and we'll know who That is. So not subtle. But in in other other casting news, in addition to Nicole Sullivan, uh, you know, the doctor who examined him so knowingly, it was played by Joe Mandy I think that's the way you pronounce his last like a writer and producer on the.
Speaker 2: Place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this one. So I saw in the closing credits, I saw that name go by, and I said, I know that name, but not from acting, right, I got to look. But yeah, So anyway, he got himself a little a little cameo there as the identifier of chlamydia expert identifier.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's part of the distance, part of his uh, part of his expertise. As a team doctor.
Speaker 1: You go into it for the orthopedics. You know, you wind up diagnosing venereal diseases, but you do what you gotta do. Yeah, did you enjoy that? The At the end of the episode, starting with the coach and Isla at the end of the bar scene and then going on to Travis taking the pills, there was a music cue that was something bad about to happen that was repeated about ten times in the music I did not since Shrinking had making bad decisions, making bad decisions, has there been such an on the nose music que.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Those some bad decisions there, very unfortunate. Oh well, sad sad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I I like, I think this show is funny and I like the actors, but like, oh, it's so frustrating all of this just tropy sitcom stuff that just won't stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, they're like, yeah, they keep getting pulled.
Speaker 2: I mean I guess that's you know, we complained about shrinking that it was supposed to be funny, and it was, you know, breaking our hearts every every week, and now this is kind of on the other it's it's still breaking my heart in a in a different way of like stop that kind of way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I will be really ticked if this season ends with a romantic quandary. Yeah, involving these three persons. No, no, no, no, no, stop it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, just totally unnecessary. There was enough going on in this episode.
Speaker 2: Right, certain one.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, sitcom's gonna sitcom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess, but I don't have to like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, no, we don't, nor do we have to watch it after this season. We'll say you're on you're on. Notice, what is it with an athlete where they're maybe going to get on waivers or probation. You're on probation, running point, Yeah, start playing.
Speaker 2: Right or you're trained to stick around, You're.
Speaker 1: Gonna be off our roster. We like you, you know, we believe in you. We think you can do it. Stop messing around.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm increasingly not sure they can do it.
Speaker 1: We would like to think you can do it, but you know what, maybe we're thinking we made a bad deal and we'll be calling your agent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, it has many appealing parts. Yeah, but the game plan is not solid, right. Maybe they could get that short Indian lady in again to help them figure out how to do the do the sitcom equivalent of a between the legs basketball thrun.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, switch things up. That's what we like to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, all right, are we giving my notes when that happened? Oh, for goodness sake.
Speaker 2: Well with with Isla and the coach. Yeah yes, stop that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe Jackie can set them up with somebody nice es.
Speaker 2: So I.
Speaker 6: Anyway, Well, next Wednesday, we'll continue with season one, episode eight, The Streak, and we'll see We'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly roundabout roundup.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.