Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's side for Swampwatch. Swamp is horrible. The government doesn't work.
Speaker 3: Man, make us like a reality TV show.
Speaker 2: Corn Pop was a bad noose. Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, DC. Hey, Joe, a.
Speaker 4: Town hall too, clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways.
Speaker 2: Still a swamp. I have a batch of malarkey, he said the swamp. I said, Oh, that's so hope.
Speaker 5: Keep you know the thing.
Speaker 3: Well, we saw the fifty eight year old suspect in this second ASSEMPT attempted assassination, Ryan Routh, were a blue inmate jumpsuit in his initial appearance in the federal courtroom in Florida today facing two federal gun charges, possessing a firearm as a felon and possessing a firearm with an obliterated serial number. The breakdown of the story is that he showed up at Trump National Golf Course down in West Palm Beach and according to cell phone records, they said he was in the area for as long as twelve hours before a Secret Service agent noticed the barrel of a rifle coming out of some shrubs or trees or whatever alongside the golf course and peeled off.
Speaker 2: They said at least four shots towards that. This guy then.
Speaker 3: Bounced out, left, jumped in a truck, and took off a Nissan pathfine, or took off somebody. And again I don't know why if that somebody heard the gun shots and then saw somebody running and thought maybe I want to record that, but was able to snap a picture of the guy getting into that Nissan, so they had a license plate number, which is why they caught the guy relatively quickly in the neighboring counties.
Speaker 2: He's driving down I ninety five.
Speaker 1: This was a win for the Secret Service, the fact that they spotted a rifle pointing through some shrubbery.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good, right, That's exactly what they're supposed to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now, because there was no outer perimeter that would that the guy apparently breached, there was. I mean, yes, I don't want somebody with a long gun within a few hundred yards of a former president or anybody.
Speaker 2: But I don't think.
Speaker 3: The the Secret Service had an expectation of protection there the way that they did in.
Speaker 2: Butler, PA.
Speaker 1: I will say that the Secret Service agent did shoot at this guy and did miss.
Speaker 2: So there is well and well, I don't know how far, how long, how far away he was.
Speaker 1: If you shot at somebody and you missed, you would never hear the end of it from me.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I don't plan.
Speaker 1: I mean if it was your job, not if you were just shooting that.
Speaker 2: Decided to shoot somebody.
Speaker 3: Now, this guy has quite a record, apparently an extensive criminal history in North Carolina from whence he came. In two thousand and two, he was charged with later pleaded guilty to fell in possession of weapon of mass destruction, including and other charges including resisting an officer carrying a concealed weapon, ID card fraud apparently in two thousand and two, that was when he was found in possession of a fully automatic weapon. Those were the most serious charges that he faced. But there's a bunch of other stuff that he was popped for, like a bounce and b.
Speaker 1: He's a he's a perfect fall guy for the conspiracy.
Speaker 2: The conspiracy theory.
Speaker 1: That Trump needed attention and somebody in the orbit found this guy was able to back channel into his Communica, social media or otherwise and get a move in.
Speaker 2: Get a move in.
Speaker 1: The sheriff even intimate to this, The sheriff said, how does a guy from not here get all the way to Trump International realize that the former president is golfing and able to get a rifle in that vicinity? Is this guy part of a conspiracy, the sheriff said, Is he a lone gunman? If he's part of a conspiracy, then this whole thing really takes on a very ominous tone.
Speaker 5: Well, boom, it's not me and my bunker.
Speaker 3: But his use of the term conspiracy is different than your term conspiracy. His term conspiracy means that just there's more than one person.
Speaker 1: Any any conspiracy would be ominous. Well, whether it was insider job people involved.
Speaker 3: This guy may have had some some substance issues. Fifteen years ago, charged with misdemeanor possession of controlled substance. It was eventually dismissed. Guilty of misdemeanor possession of stolen goods three years probation, possession of stolen vehicle that was dismissed, traffic issues, a bunch of stuff. They've accused of of failing to pay his taxes, on time.
Speaker 1: Well, who pays their taxes and on time? I would say the majority of people.
Speaker 3: Oh so, I mean this guy is well known perhaps to law enforcement, although not necessarily well known to the rest of everybody else.
Speaker 2: When we come back, I wanted to play for you.
Speaker 3: I didn't get to this early in the show, but his interview with Newsweek Romania. Now, one of the things that this guy is known for and has actually been interviewed by places like The New York Times for is his travel to Ukraine to fight Russia on behalf of Ukraine, and he was amazed that more people weren't doing that.
Speaker 2: Did you care?
Speaker 1: Jim Harbaugh talking about JK. Dobbin's flip into the end zone. No, I'm going to send.
Speaker 2: Jacob the audio. It's hilarious.
Speaker 1: It's like classic Jim Harbaugh, and we can play it in Fantasy for play when we talk about how we all failed miserably picking games.
Speaker 3: This weekend, a couple of retired New York City Fire Department fire chiefs were arrested by the Feds early today. They were accepting more than one hundred ninety thousand dollars in bribes to allegedly help fast track safety inspections and reviews. These two worked in the fdn WAES Bureau of Fire Prevention, picked up on bribery, corruption, false statements offenses as part of this long running corruption probe that has touched all parts of city Hall there in New York City.
Speaker 5: Hey, did you see this bit about Donald Trump Junior.
Speaker 2: And somebody who's not Kimberly Gilfoyle.
Speaker 5: Yes, they say it's glamorous.
Speaker 2: It girl.
Speaker 1: Bettina Anderson, thirty seven years old, and they had an intimate brunch date last month, and apparently the romance is all the talk of Palm Beach. She is a model, an influencer and a philanthropist and a philanderer, And witnesses to the counter say it was clear it was not a business meeting, that she reached over and planted sexy kisses on his lips three times, that she was totally smitten with him, and he with her.
Speaker 2: They looked relaxed.
Speaker 1: Definitely a date, like I care about his relationship with Kimberly Guilfoyle. This is not like, this is not a union I'm trying to protect, but.
Speaker 2: A union born out of true love.
Speaker 1: Just no, I don't union born out of plastic surgery and Gavin knew some sloppy seconds.
Speaker 3: We mentioned the very long criminal history that this fifty eight year old Ryan Rauth has. This is a guy who investigators said hid himself and his automatic semi automatic rifle sorry just outside Trump National Golf Course there in West Palm Beach, Florida, yesterday in an attempt apparently to assassinate the former president. He was spotted, or at least the barrel of the gun was spotted by Secret Service agent who fired at him, and then the guy got up and ran. What they found there was this AK forty seven style rifle, a couple of backpacks hanging on the fence that may have had some sort of ceramic ballistic shield in them, little plates that I guess could have been used to protect him, and then a go pro camera as well. Either I don't know if it was trained on him or if it was trained on the golf course. They said there may have been a scope that he was using potentially to follow the president, but the president never got within I think they said was four hundred yards was as close as he got before he was whisked away back to the clubhouse and then taken Tomorrow Lago, which amazingly is a much more secure facility. Now, this guy made his name for himself recently because he was one of many foreigners who traveled to Ukraine to fight on behalf of the Ukrainian government and people against Russia. And he did an interview with Newsweek Romania about his plans.
Speaker 4: The question as far as why I'm here, So maybe you know a lot of the other cons gray, but this conflict is definitely black and white. This is about good versus evil. This is a storybook, you know, any movie we've ever watched. This is definitely evil against good. I mean, we're battling a situation here where you know, the Ukrainians and the rest of the world are caring and kind and generous and unselfish and take care of one another, and it's just a matter of, you.
Speaker 2: Know, we need to stand up for that.
Speaker 3: Half of his hair was purple in that interview, and half of it was dyed, was bleached blonde. Not that Listen, people can do what they want with their hair. I'm just trying to paint you, judgy, just trying to paint the picture. According to the response of the former president, I mean this is becoming old hat for him, so he may have been shocked at the attempt on his life, but was cracking jokes about it later on in the day. Yesterday, in a post on his website truth Social, he thanked the Secret Service, he think law enforcement. He thanked the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office for keeping him safe. As far as the campaign, they haven't changed anything.
Speaker 2: They have not announced any changes to his schedule.
Speaker 3: He's supposed to appear on a live stream to introduce a new cryptocurrency business tonight. Tomorrow, He's going to hold a town hall event in Flint, Michigan. It's moderated by Governor Sarah huckeby Sanders of Arkanas. A rally planned Wednesday in Uniondale, New York. So it doesn't look like any of that's going to be changing necessarily. I just want to mention a quick poll that came out. I mean, it seems like every day you're going to get a couple of these, but there is a significant shift in the way things have been going In Iowa. A Des Moines Register poll shows that Trump leads Kamala Harris forty seven to forty three among likely Iowa voters. He Trump, that is, had an eighteen point lead over Biden back in late spring, and right now the lead over Harris is down to just four points.
Speaker 1: So no one's playing that interview that we played earlier in the show where she kind of has an air not kind of for me. It has definite condescension dripping with that quote about where I grew up and the people they pride in their lawns because that was like the best thing that they were going to be able to take care of and cultivate in their sad little lives.
Speaker 5: And nobody's playing that stuff. Where is that?
Speaker 3: Which is strange because there has been such a drum beat that she doesn't sit down for these interviews. Then she does, she sits down with Dana Bash.
Speaker 5: And nobody reports on it.
Speaker 2: It was just goof.
Speaker 3: It was lame, and no one, no one's calling her out on the lack of ability to put a sentence together without sounding insane.
Speaker 1: Well, it's not that she's sounding insane, it's just it's back to the word soup. Maybe she was just on it for the last six weeks or whatever, and now she's kind of letting up on the laser focused communication.
Speaker 3: I don't know and this Washington Post arc when we come back how parents are talking to their kids about the election.
Speaker 1: I thought we were going to do the story about my phone letting me smell and see what's on the other end of a call. That's terrifying. I don't want to smell who I'm talking to.
Speaker 2: We didn't get to this one.
Speaker 1: I know we didn't, but I also want to get to that one because I don't want to smell whoever I'm on the phone with. Probably you know what I mean. I mean, think about all the people you talk to on the phone. You want to smell all those people.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. You could probably turn it off.
Speaker 1: There's a couple people I wouldn't mind smelling easy, like my girlfriends. They smell great, smell like cookies.
Speaker 5: But I don't want to.
Speaker 1: You know, if I call the plumber, I don't want to smell what And plumbers don't smell as bad as you.
Speaker 2: Think they do.
Speaker 5: My brother's a plumber. He smells awful.
Speaker 2: Think about my cup noodles, not oh did you have one?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Hell, yeah I did, which was kind of funny because I got I got judged from who well from there's three there's three producers and management people who sit outside and guard that snack drawer.
Speaker 5: It's like management row and Oscar turs.
Speaker 3: Around and goes, oh, you are going to go over a cup of noodles? Oh was the third time in the snack drawer today?
Speaker 5: Wow, you are leaning on the snacks a little heavy.
Speaker 2: And Anne was like, who are you? So I got judged?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm sorry that I wasn't there to defend your honor, because a cup of noodles is really a truly American I got Italians. It was a decision that you made. It was not as salty as I remember them being. That's funny because when I had one last week, I thought it was super salty like I remembered it not being. So maybe our levels are just different. Do you have enough iron in your diet?
Speaker 2: Do I? I believe I do? Yes? Okay, why how do I ask?
Speaker 5: Have you made that doctor's appointment yet?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I haven't made any doctor's appointments yet. You make it sound like I have a thing that needs to be lanced and I haven't gotten it done yet.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know where you are with your sores and if they're open or not.
Speaker 2: But I have zero open.
Speaker 1: Do you know that you are You've turned fifty A long time ago, now.
Speaker 2: A long time ago.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah, I just think it would be nice to look under the hood, have a doctor get in there and make sure all your your your your plugs are good.
Speaker 3: And I don't know, You're going to pause one of these days and I'm going to be ruthless.
Speaker 2: Oh are you really?
Speaker 5: Is that a good idea?
Speaker 1: Is that a good idea? What do you think the outcome of that is for you?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 1: I mean from what I from what I understand, it's a it's a hormonal mess, and so I think you're I remember my mom going through it, and she would just fly off a handle all the time.
Speaker 5: Willy nilly, that.
Speaker 2: Doesn't sound like you.
Speaker 1: Wow, Washington, See now you're acting out because you know I'm three thousand miles away.
Speaker 2: You and your corns.
Speaker 3: The Washington Post has an article says how parents are talking or not talking to kids about the election.
Speaker 2: I have a problem with the premise.
Speaker 1: I have a problem with the premise. I have a problem with the way it's framed. And I have a problem with the people they chose to ask about this.
Speaker 3: So they said, they asked parents of young children to share their thoughts and then edited their responses. But it was basically about how young Americans, young people in this country ask questions about yard signs in their neighborhood, about the candidates they see on television, the comments they overhear at school, and they said, this is my face part. Others might not be aware that an election is happening at all. I know full ass grown adults who do not know who the president or vice president is. I mean that they would be unable to tell you some of the most basic, simple things about politics in this country, and they're part of me is like, well, that's awful. That's a bad place to be. But like we've kind of joked about these astronauts stuck in space.
Speaker 2: Hey, they don't have to deal with it.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm so jealous.
Speaker 1: This article, written by Caitlin Gibson in The Washington Post says we've asked parents of young children to share their thoughts. One of the one of the peoples is I've got three kids. My eldest is in seventh grade, I've got twins in the fourth grade.
Speaker 5: Me and my.
Speaker 2: Spouse, we were heavily.
Speaker 1: In tune with what's going on in politics, and there's a lot of dialogue surrounding the overturning of Roe v.
Speaker 2: Wade.
Speaker 1: My seventh grader is acutely aware of what it means, but the nine year old's less. So what a nine year old knowing anything about Roe v Wade is troubling, let alone a twelve year old, well, a twelve year old that you're kind of dialed in junior high, you're going to start arting nine nine. And it sounds almost like she's woefully saying like, unfortunately the nine year olds can't talk to them about abortion yet. They haven't fully grasped the abortion debate my nine year olds.
Speaker 5: The other person they talk to.
Speaker 1: Says, I am a pro life speaker. I spoke at the National March for Life. Again, I'm throwing out your opinion. I'm not saying it's not valid, but when you have people that are so entrenched in politics, that's not who I'm going to to find out how much I should tell my kids.
Speaker 3: Right, there's another one. My wife and I have one child, he's almost two. Tried watching the presidential debate with my son. What What an awful parent, What an awful thing to think that your kid would have any interest in or were you just saying that you were in the same room with your kid and you flip the channel from Thomas the Tank Engine to the debate.
Speaker 1: I love Thomas the Tank and Percy Percy's my favorite.
Speaker 2: Percy was kind of a b what you.
Speaker 5: Watch your mouth wasn't either.
Speaker 2: The one that complained all the time?
Speaker 3: No, I know Kayu Kyu's that little Kaya's bald kid who is an awful, awful child.
Speaker 2: Sorry, what's a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but if your kids ask questions about politics, answer them, but don't don't assume that you're that's that's gonna energize any amount of interest in your child, and in fact, the idea that they would want to be involved in politic there's one. It's one thing to say you want to get involved with serving your community, serving underprivileged people, serving in some way, service is an honorable thing to strive for. Service in politics brings with it a minefield of potential dangers, and that's where I would I would push my kids away. My daughter, twenty two years old, arguably one of the smartest people I've ever made, she said. The other day, she texted me and asked if there was anything she needed to know about the debate that happened because she didn't watch it because she was working. And I said, that's all you need to know. You were working. You have a life, you have other stuff going on. Do your life and let these morons argue about moronic stuff over and over again.
Speaker 1: Duncan was the complainer. He was the grumpiest engine.
Speaker 3: There's something about Percy that doesn't I don't like Percy.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna I'm not gonna engage in this.
Speaker 2: When we come back.
Speaker 3: But that would be a more appropriate argument for your ten year old or your nine year old than the repercautions of the overturning.
Speaker 2: Of Roe v. Wade.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm more comfortable talking about Thomas the tank one day.
Speaker 3: Let you smell as well as we see and hear what's on the other end of the call.
Speaker 1: I only tell you to make a doctor's appointment because I care. It's not like I'm old shaming you.
Speaker 2: No, you want me violated in some weird way.
Speaker 5: No, that's not I do not. I do not.
Speaker 1: I have mean my mind, I've even gone there, and you're never mind what in my mind?
Speaker 2: Nothing? Nothing, what were you gonna say nothing? I'll wait till you come back, all right?
Speaker 1: You got lit up by someone on Instagram. What an asinine thing to tell your daughter, Gary, She's trying to educate herself and you could have given her the highlights, or you could have told her the person not to vote for. What a dumb thing to tell a daughter who is trying to be informed.
Speaker 2: Why the f would I tell my daughter who to vote for?
Speaker 1: That was gonna be my point. I read that, And that's one way to take what you said. Another way is this, You're gonna let your daughter make up her own mind. There's so many people that try to indoctrinate and just pick and choose and.
Speaker 2: Tell their kid how to vote and what side you're.
Speaker 3: On, and they get mad at them when they don't vote the way you want them to follow that.
Speaker 2: It is awful.
Speaker 1: I hate I feel bad when when I see kids that are just their parents are constantly talking politics to them and who to hate and all that.
Speaker 2: It's like, let the kid.
Speaker 1: Make up its own mind. If you're a hippie and you've raised an Alex P. Keaton, then that is just fine. It's all right that your kid doesn't agree with you.
Speaker 2: But it's quite a reference.
Speaker 1: I know, topical reference, isn't it very topical?
Speaker 3: That's funny because she was just on the Emmys last night. Who oh man, the mom in that show?
Speaker 2: Oh really?
Speaker 3: Uh Meredith Baxter Ernie, Oh yeah she was. They did They did like groups of like characters, so they had they had villains up at one point like uh, John Carlo Esposito and.
Speaker 2: The woman from Misery. Man, why am I you know? It's weird what I watched in my head?
Speaker 1: Now, all yeah, sodium kin, but they TV moms that were especially when you're this close to menopause.
Speaker 2: So so so.
Speaker 1: I I never bought her and her relationship on that show. As a child, I never believed in her character for some reason. And then I realized as I got older, she is a lesbian and that is why it was not believable that that marriage was not believable to me. I saw that I saw as a kid. I knew there was something off, like these two aren't like, these two don't seem like they.
Speaker 2: Would be married. They're not married.
Speaker 5: Weird, right, weird.
Speaker 3: When we get into Mixtate Monday, very late in the show, my wife brought up another story, another song. Specifically, we were playing the Tommy Tommy Cash died. Tommy Cash was Johnny Cash's younger brother and he died just over the weekend at the age of eighty four, I think, and his last top twenty hit, or his last hit, Tommy Cash that is was something about I recall a Gypsy woman and it was about a relationship that he had when he was seventeen years old with this gypsy woman.
Speaker 2: And it was a little about child abuse, and it was dirty.
Speaker 3: It was a little dirty, little statutory rape, depending on the state in which it took place. There's a Garth Brooks song that has a very similar tone to it.
Speaker 5: Is this not the dance that summer? That summer?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that summer? And I looked it up The Holy Cow Garth likes Garth?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, Yes, are you kidding?
Speaker 1: I mean, you can tell when people are in love with themselves, and that is just apparent within three seconds of listening to that guy.
Speaker 3: Well, and I didn't, I mean I listened to songs for a long time. I think I noticed it. When there was a documentary about him produced by him. It's like he did the camera. He did the lighting. He did everything and it was all about Garth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't that.
Speaker 1: Wasn't that a song about like a teenage boy goes to work in the summer and the woman is like a like a widower, divorce or something.
Speaker 5: And she wanted to feel she needed to feel the thunder.
Speaker 1: Like that's what he's bringing, huh at sixteen when you listen to music or you talk to sixteen.
Speaker 5: That's a strong point.
Speaker 3: On your phone. The way the technology works a little diaphragm. It changes the digital signal into a physical vibration and that's why you can hear it. Your phone can also display images and videos little pixels that you the colors, et cetera. But now they're talking about using tiny particles called molecules that float through the air and reach your nose to send signals to your brain, but doing it with your phone. Imagine something. Now they break it down like the way light is broken down. White light contains the three colors, right, and that's why you get the red, green, and blue as the primary colors. Some combination thereof you can get all of the colors of the rainbow and beyond. And they're saying that they're thinking about smells in a similar way, that they would be composed of a certain number of basic molecules, and then you increase or decrease each one of those to come up with a specific smell, and that you would have a cartridge you could put in your phone with those different scents, those different smells in it. Your phone figures out how to make a newly baked chocolate chip cookie smell?
Speaker 5: Is anyone asking for this?
Speaker 2: Have no? I don't think anybody has.
Speaker 3: They used to do There used to be a push to do movie theaters like this called Smell of Vision.
Speaker 5: Right, it's like Soaring over California.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when they would when they would pipe in the orange oranges, and now when they do Soaring over the world or just soaring they would pipe in the jasmine around the taj Mahal or whatever it was. But one thing is you have to be able to produce thousands of different smells just with a few cartridges. And again, I don't think anybody's beaten down the doors to get to a smellophone.
Speaker 5: Are you doing your stretches in my absence?
Speaker 3: I'm not And I really have felt it this weekend because I did two weeks of nothing, and then you need to do your stretches. Tried to get back into it, and I'm a mess.
Speaker 5: I have done nothing for a while too.
Speaker 1: But I am going to have a virtual ballet class tomorrow with miss Patricia.
Speaker 2: Oh she goes across country with you.
Speaker 5: Huh oh, that's why it's a virtual m hm m hm.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: All of our trending stories wrap up Gas Fantasy for Play.
Speaker 2: We have Emmys, we have music. It's another hour, full hour to go.
Speaker 1: It's gonna go by so quick because it's gonna be so much fun.
Speaker 2: Your hold your horses. Now you've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.