Speaker 1: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: Lucky? In line at the Delhi I guess ah, in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 1: Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 1: In the car before my kids pta meeting?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 1: Yes? Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: I never win?
Speaker 5: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 1: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now? Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 4: Nobrig just necesaryfoid?
Speaker 2: We're gonna be my long eighteen plus terms conditions of pluck seems every details it.
Speaker 1: Is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you at fist pumper, A wooo, a handclapper, a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino at chumbacasino dot com choose some hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 2: No just necessary VOI where everyb I lost E terms, conditions eating pluss.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, it is Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too. It's a thing, and now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the fun. Sign up now at chumbacasino dot com.
Speaker 2: No orcus has a very d I lost THET terms conditions eating. Plus.
Speaker 5: You are now listening to True Murder The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gacy Bundy, Dahmer, The Night Stalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski. Good Evening.
Speaker 4: It was a shattering deathbed confession by a heartbroken mother, but would it solved The oldest cold case murder case in American jurisprudence. In January nineteen ninety four, Eileen Tessey told Jack McCullough's half sister, Janet Tessier, that he her son kidnapped seven year old Maria Ridoff from their neighborhood in Sycamore, Illinois, and killed her in December nineteen fifty seven. It was a case that tore the child's family apart, as well as dividing and terrifying the town as the days, then the months, and finally the years passed with no arrest. In two thousand and eight, the Illinois State Police reopened the case against Jack after receiving an email from Janet Tessier about their mother's death poot deathbed confession. After the Illinois State Police interviewed Janet and learned that Jack had also been accused of raping their other sister, Jean Tessier, they reopened the case, but would reopen in the case solve the question of who killed Maria Ridoff and was McCullough the killer. In the Last Man's Standing, true crime author Alan Warren writes an exacting detail about the kidnapping, murder, and subsequent investigations both in nineteen fifty seven and two thousand and eight that eventually led to the murder conviction of Jack McCullough. But the story doesn't stop there, as it delves into the years mcculluugh spent in prison and the efforts to have his conviction overturned. Was McCullough the brutal killer of a little girl? Or was he the last man's standing when the justice system decided he needed to pay for the crime? You decide. The book they were featuring this evening is the Last Man Standing? Is Jack Daniel McCullough A true story? Alan Warren, Journalist and author Alan Warren, Welcome to the Back to the program, and thank you very much for agreeing to this interview. Alan R. Warren.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's a pleasure to be here. Thank you for asking me.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much. Let's jump right into this. I know that you and I both interviewed Charles Lochman about his book Footsteps in the Snow in twenty fourteen, at least I did. In twenty fourteen you had interviewed him as well, And now we're doing another story here, The Last Man standing about the same case, the murder and abduction of Maria Riddiff. Tell us a little bit about your interview with Charles Lockman and and your impression of the story. Despite Charles Lachman's contention that this case was finally, after fifty five years or fifty plus years, finally this oldest cold case in American history finally solved. Tell us about that interview that you had with Charles Lockman with Footsteps in the snow.
Speaker 3: Well. Charles was a nice guy to talk to. It seemed like it was going okay. I just couldn't get the feel that he had any evidence, that he had anything solid. It was just all feeling, you know, and and how people felt, and how he felt and what the people he talked to felt. And the evidence was really lacking, especially for putting someone away for their life, you know, taking away their freedom, making it so that you know, they're locked up forever. And I just didn't I just didn't see it in the evidence. And over an hour, he just couldn't supply it. And so I ended up having a follow up interview with him, and he had some new points counterpoints, but it was still the same. He just had nothing hard. Nothing hard.
Speaker 4: Now you say you remained unconvinced. You rightly remain unconvinced, and we know why. But you say an event happened about thirty days later involving someone involved with this case message on Facebook? What was that message? Who was that person?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's actually yeah, Casey Porter. He's the son in law. He married Jack's daughter. And he had heard that interview on because we are in K K and W Seattle, and that's actually where they're out of, just north of Seattle, and he heard that interview and he contacted me on Facebook and told me there was so much more to the case than I even would know about, and and that interested me, and we started talking back and forth, and he liked how I had that, you know, the conclusion of like, well, where's your evidence, Like what where's the hard evidence, where's the where's the blood, where's the like there has to be more than that to put away a man for life. And he liked that attitude, so he uh started contributing things to me and telling me things about the case that I didn't know, and I ended up meeting a lot of his family and uh and eventually Jack, of course, and yeah, I went from there. But that that convinced me even more about just how the whole family was around him and how they all supported him, and there wasn't a doubt in any of their minds.
Speaker 4: Right now, you talk about the you getting involved, I mean really one of the looking at Charles Lackman and his footsteps in the snow and just sensing that there was something wrong. That's not normally what you do or I do when we review people's books from when we're interviewing them about their books. So I thought that was quite profound that you would have that kind of God instinct. I guess when do you get involved in what year do you get involved in this case? Getting that information from Casey Porter? But also when does he get released? And so it verifies your I guess idea that this person was innocent. Tell us about that timeline.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, because in twenty fourteen where the interviews and so with Charles Lockman, and that's when Casey caught a hold of me and started telling me things. And and I'll tell you, at first, the first five six months I would talk with him, but it would be it would be more like humoring. I wasn't really buying into it. It was kind of like, yeah, okay, because he wasn't presenting me with anything anymore than what Charles Lachman did. I just thought it was just about whose side you're on and who you believe in and who you love or who you don't. I wasn't getting any anything solid, So that one it just kind of kept on going for a while, and it took until about a year later, and I ended up I'm talking to a couple of the research people I know in Chicago, and it sounded like Jack was going to get he was going to come up for a stay or an overturn of his of his conviction again. And from the rumor I had heard was that the state attorney was behind it hundred percent and was supporting it. So this was more than likely going to happen. And then that made me realize that, Wow, there's there's there's somebody in the justice system on the other side that feels he was convict victed wrongly. And so that that put me right back on into the case again and dealing with Jack's family and and kind of going through the motions of him getting out and what he was going to do, and he was going to come back to Seattle and just the whole scenario, so that kind of I got involved in more in that part at that stage. And this is before and then when he finally got out in the spring of I guess it must have been sixteen yea and went back to Seattle. North of Seattle, I had talked to him. I had talked to Casey and a few other family members, and they were quite comfortable with me if I wanted to write the story about Jack and the story about what had happened, and I was kind of so so on it. I really wanted to, but I wanted to know the truth. I had to know everything as it was.
Speaker 4: What was the one stipulation he had for you? I mean, we're running a little bit ahead, but in connection to this, what was the one stipulation he had for you on condition of writing this book?
Speaker 3: Well, he was really it was no dirt. I want no dirt. I want nothing but the truth and no dirt. He said that to me so many times. He didn't want any of the Uh. Because you've read the book, it's very complex and it's very there's a lot of parts to the story that are not not pretty. And at this point. I wasn't. I wasn't sure exactly why. At first, I was thinking, well, that's because you're guilty of some of these things that you're accused of, and and that's what you mean by no dirt. But after a while I realized he was still protecting his sister. He was still protecting his little sister right till the day she died, which was just recently. And so, you know, I learned a lot this case. I learned so much about people, how they behave, how they interact to each other, and how a family that's really disconnected and going through a lot of trouble, how these things get taken way out of proportion and it you know, everybody, everybody suffers, and it just it ruins the whole, the whole family, and you know, you know, so he really did not want things about his sister primarily, and other things not talked about. He did not want dirt or you know, basically, he didn't want trashy sort of journalism coming out of it. He wanted what happened, and his primary concern was not about him. His primary concern was people have to know that this can happen to you, anybody in the country can be doing nothing and you can end up in jail and go through a whole life like what he did and his family did for nothing. It can happen. There's just don't think it can't happen to you. And that was something he talked about every single time I talked to him. He mentioned the no dirt and how this can happen to anybody over and over again.
Speaker 4: Well, let's get to this incredible story, how it could happen to anyone. But this is not a story that happens to everyone at all because of the twists and turns in this. I know that's a cliche, but there are some incredible ones in this to have the coldest case in American history. And here's why. Let's go back for those people that don't know this or can't remember the interview from twenty fourteen, in particulars, which would be most everyone, Let's talk about the particulars in winter for Snowfall nineteen fifty seven, and first introduce a little bit about sycamore set the stage for what happens with Kathy and her young friend eight years old. Personal take us back to nineteen fifty seven.
Speaker 3: You know it was, it was very It was very family, family, prime America. You know, at nineteen fifty seven, things were fairly peaceful. People were in a pretty festive mood, of course, being December, and society was really organized. After the war. Things were settling down. People were starting to develop families, jobs, lifestyles, you know, just a better way of life after the war. And Sycamore is a small town on the outside of Chicago quite a ways actually, but it's a small town, fifteen hundred it was to start. By the time they were there, I believe there was about seven thousand population, so pretty small town. And it started. It all started in the December of fifty seven. Two girlfriends, Maria Riddle and her best friend who was a year older than her that lived down the road. Her name was Kathy Siegmund. They were so excited because this was going to be the first day of snow and they wanted to go outside and play. So they ran all the way home and wolfed down their dinner basically to get out of the house as soon as they could and get out in the snow and play. And you know, it was an innocent time, so you wouldn't think anything of it. We all did it. I'm not quite that old, but just ten years later, and that would not be an unusual thing for me to have done. You know. It's just what people did. And you didn't have to have people watch, you know, your parents didn't have to come with you or anything. You could just run up and down the road or go to your neighbors and it was fairly free. We weren't in the same mental condition as we are now. So they went out and they were having a good time. In general. They were playing different games. One of them was to avoid being hit by this by the spotlight the car light, the headlights i should say, of a car when they were jumping in between the roads and just just silly little kid games and having a good time. So then a long come a man and it was around six thirty. There's different times in there, and it's very I'm just gonna throw it out at six thirty pm, and he introduced himself as Johnny, and he was a really nice guy. What are you girls doing, and blah blah blah and all that. She guys want to go for a piggyback ride, and so they were lock all excited, and Kathy didn't want to go, so you know, little Maria did. And they went up and down and it was a lot of fun and come back and exciting. And then Kathy still wouldn't go, and they were talking away, and then the guy he wanted he wanted to know if they liked dolls, and so Kathy piped up and said, yeah, I have my favorite doll. I'll go get him, get her for you. And she ran to her house, got the doll, come back and both Maria and this Johnny were gone. So that's you know, she went back to Maria's house and there was nobody there. She went back home and she looked around and she couldn't find Maria anywhere. So then back to Maria's house and then eventually the Riddolphs got up and started searching and and everyone started looking. Now it was a bit of a slow start at people looking. Maria had a reputation. She did run away a few other times before, and not run away to get away from the home, but she would go wondering and just do things and you know, go to different parks and wander and play by herself and then come home. And so there was kind of a mixed feeling about is she being kidnapped or is she just wandering around? So that's what took them a little bit of time before they actually decided to get the cops involved. So that was kind of the setup of what happened that night.
Speaker 4: Now talk about the description, because of course right away they begin a search, but obviously they know that Kathy is the person, even though she's nine years old. She's the person that got a really good look at this guy. So what is the description of this young man that police have from that and how else do they proceed in terms of other than the search and the canvas. What else do they do? Initially?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, their main at first was canvassing and talking to the neighbors and then getting people out hunting and and trying to get a a witness. And that was a bit slow as well, because it was almost like they didn't really believe anything happened evil. I think a lot of their minds is she just took off and it wasn't. Really The first real good identification that Kathy the Friend gave was really to the FBI, which was set up the next night, not that night, but the ones she give to the police were way different with the part of teeth and the and the hair and the size of them, and the age of of who she said did it was complete opposite of you know, Jack, Jack McCulloch, who was later tried for the case. So but then it changed three times, and I included the whole FBI report because then you can see actually how she described him even differently, and different people that I had talked to in and around the family of the group said that Kathy was trying to find the person so badly that she was taking information from all of her friends, cops, everybody around her would be saying, are you sure he wasn't like this? Didn't he have this? But he couldn't have been this if he didn't have that. Like they all had ideas, and they were all throwing it at her. And she would keep on adding and minusing parts of her identification to different police groups. Because she was dealing with the Sycamore Police, the Illinois State Police, as well as the Sheriff's office and the FBI.
Speaker 4: There was no drawing, sorry, there was no composite drawing mate at that time.
Speaker 3: No I had. Yeah, the FBI did make one. They were the only ones that did. And and we do have a copy of it. Now. The problem with that is it was sealed in the FBI files when they found Maria's body later, and it was within the state of Illinois. So what happens is they close out their investigation and walk away. They didn't share any of that information with the other three police departments that we're dealing with the case. So your your city, your state, and your sheriff's group that had all had part you know, in the investigation didn't get any access to this file.
Speaker 1: Hey guys, it is a Ryan. I'm not sure if you know this about me, but I'm a bit of a fun fanatic when I can. I like to work, but I like fun too.
Speaker 5: It's a thing.
Speaker 1: And now the truth is out there, I can tell you about my favorite place to have fun, Chumba Casino. They have hundreds of so social casino style games to choose from, with new games released each week. You can play for free, anytime, anywhere, and each day brings a new chance to collect daily bonuses. So join me and the bun. Sign up now at Chumba casino dot com.
Speaker 2: No, we're just necessary dad. Where everybody lost the terms conditions eighteen plus.
Speaker 4: Now let's go back to footsteps in the snow, because there's a reason why Lachmann titled it footsteps in the snow. So part of this investigation is with the people were searching for her that very night and then onwards in the following couple of days. So let's talk about the footsteps in the snow and what if anything people in that search and police found in that search.
Speaker 1: You know, I.
Speaker 3: You know, the footsteps in the snow when when they were out you mean, when they were out investigating kind of like everybody was searching all the neighbors, and it there been traces of snow and in some locations, like on that garage, on the back of the garage, it looked like there was prince of a small girl and a man and going one way and then coming back there was no more small footprints as if someone was carrying someone right and and so that was one indication, and then and then her doll and stuff like that. I think that everything, well, I'm not sure. I think everything in that case, as far as what Lachman wrote was very circumstantial. Like I'm not sure if there's something that stuck out to you when you interviewed them that made you think there was something important in that.
Speaker 4: I don't think so. I think that it's just mysterious, and I just chalked it up to, you know, unknown and a lot of a lot of books have facts that you know, you could speculate all you want, but sometimes there's no connection between those things that what you write in the book and what has been written before is that there was the footsteps that could indicate, but again there was no I understand what you're saying. There was no verification. He didn't take it any step further, just said, well it looked like, well, it look like but did you check the footprint of this perpetrator, did you check the perpetrator that even the shoe size of the young girl? And then they found the doll in same almost the same area, but afterwards, but without any conclusions and without any follow up. Then that's what it sounds like to me. It's just the separate facts that you could put together. But I don't know how you do necessarily well.
Speaker 3: I think I think we had a very disorganized setup here. I think we had someone that went missing, and at first it was kind of nonchalantly dealt with, and as the momentum picked up. You're dealing with a lot of amateurs. You got neighbors and friends and family running around, and then you get one cop that comes out, and then a second one, and in all of their minds, their mindset was right away, well nothing have her had It's it's fine, she's been run away, she was down. They even went down to that park where she went away ran away to before they went all over it. So they were thinking they were going to solve it and find herself. So all of these little things that happened, and no organization amongst any of it. And as you read through, all of a sudden, this brother runs into this one and they're just they start searching here, and there was just no There was nothing organized, there was nothing sealed, There was no direction in any of those searches. The first couple of nights were really a mess. It's really a for all. And so the different pieces of evidence and the different things that came up, I think you take them and you write them down and you keep track of them, but none of them in themselves mean anything unless you can start connecting them. And the problem is the police didn't get on it in the framework to connect it. They didn't start thinking, oh, what about this? Are testing different people's shoes and feet, and they just sort of they didn't go far enough.
Speaker 4: They also talk about the I think it's the police chief. Wow, there's the police chief at that time saying, well, this couldn't be a person from Sycamore, the population seven thousand, there's just no way. Must have been a you know, a trucker or somebody from out of town. So their mindset goes in like that, and they knew very little and thought nonimaginatively about motive for these kinds of things like abduction meaning sexual predator killer. I didn't assume that right away. Let's get to how Jack Daniel mccullaugh is not his real name. His given name, well that's a little complicated, but his given name is John Tessier. And so we introduced Allen Tessier, Jack McCullough's mother, and his sister, Janet Tessier, and we will talk about how those women become an important part, of course, the most important part in having Jack Daniel McCullough imprisoned. But at first his name is John Tessier. Now police do an investigation, and of course they're talking to many suspects and getting many tips. Of course, they check out people close by, and that includes John Tessier right away. What did the police ask of the family and what is his alibi that eliminates him? And by this time the fb I were involved because I think maybe the child was abducted across state lines. So the FBI gets involved, and abduction and kidnapping is their thing. So tell us a little bit about what happens with John tess why and what is the response and why is he eliminated as a suspect.
Speaker 3: Well, there's a couple of different reasons why he came up. He got to remember that, first of all, he was a neighbor. They were just around the corner, so there are six houses difference. There isn't a big distance here, and so we're not talking about the other side of the neighborhood or anything like this. It was their intention to speak to everybody in all those districts, all the blocks. So he wasn't just like picked out suddenly. How that's I say that because so many of the reports made it sound like he was. And the biggest problem with him was he also had a smart, smart alec attitude. He had a fight with a teacher in school, he was caught shoplifting, he had stole the car, he had been caught drunk. He was a you know, a disturbance of a teenager at sixteen seventeen. So that was the other thing, and that fact is true. But at that time, on that night, he had actually decided to join the army, and so he went to the at the base to get in to do his application, and then he had to do a physical and he also had to do the intake the entakement tests or whatever they give him. So he was doing that and this was in a about an hour away in a suburb. And the biggest fact that the FBI had was Kathy Sigmund, Maria's friend, said the man named Johnny came up and started talking to them around six point fifteen six thirty, and when she went inside to get her doll and come back, it was between six forty five and seven. According to Kathy, the times kind of vary depending on who he talked to, but in general, between six thirty and seven pm, some man named Johnny took Maria riddoff from where they were playing in front of their home. So the problem was at three minutes to seven, Jack McCullough made the phone call collect phone call to his mother saying that he was finny and wanted to see if she would give him a ride home so that he wouldn't have to take the bus. And so we know this and it's been checked on. So at six point fifty seven, he made that phone call from an hour away. So if the timeframe was correct, with the girls and the few witnesses they had between six point thirty and seven, there's no possible way Jack could have been an hour and away in nineteen fifty seven and done it. You know, we didn't have that type of transportation. So the FBI himself then they interviewed him and between the combination of that they took him off. He was also given a lie detector test and he passed. So that's not yeah, sorry, go ahead. I was gonna say, but that you know that that's only used for you. It never helps you. It seems like you know, you take those yeah, you take those light detector tests and if you fail or if you're on the edge and the police say that, see that shows you something to hide. And if they and if you'll pass it, then they turn around and say, well, it's not used in court, it doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a tool I think to progress further, I think, but if it's not accurate, then that's why it's not admissible, because it's not accurate. So I obviously can go astray if somebody could fool that, and there are examples of people fooling that light detector test. So the other thing that's important to state is that at that time, their best eyewitness, their only real eyewitness to this Johnny, which I found very interesting too. She had said that he had blonde hair and we'll see that. Look, it doesn't look like Jack as blonde hair in his head. But at the same time, she was not shown a photo of him because the FBI did not consider him a serious suspect based on their lie detective test and their investigation and questioning of him.
Speaker 3: Is that correct, Yeah, that is right. But I have to counter the point that they lived five houses away and around the corner, and there was quite a few times that Jack had interaction with both of the girls, speaking to them on the road and saying things. They did know who each other were. So you know, like, you cannot excuse the fact or you can't. I cannot be a nine year old at home knowing I've lived here all my nine life years, gone to school, and I know all my neighbors small town, and I know who they are are. And and if I saw them, I would say, oh, hey, Jack, I would know them, or I would, you know, at least know who they were. So if this is someone I recognized, if this was Jack or John of the neighborhood, and he came up and said, you want rides, and you want to do this and all that stuff, I would know, Oh, well, you know it was Jack. Jack came and asked us for piggyback rides. It was just too inconvenient that she did not know who that Jack was. And two years later say, oh, I didn't get shown, you know, a picture in a lineup. I don't quite buy that.
Speaker 4: So easy, let's keep this not so confusing for the audience. So Jack changes. He changes his name later from Johnny. And that's the part of the reason why he's a suspect persistently, is that Johnny because his name is John even though it's a common name, it's a Johnny connection. Right after this, he's at this recruitment, he wants to get into the army. He's he's been up and down in terms of his private life. And we will get into some of the things that happened before in the sort of his family life. But what does Johnny Tessier do right after this recruitment? Where does he go and how does his life for the better? Well?
Speaker 3: Actually, actually as things settled down and he went on, he actually went along. He went with the army, and he actually did some tours in Vietnam Vietnam War. He also switched to the Air Force. He became a captain in the Air Force and was very successful with the Armed services and lived and did quite well in the whole war lifestyle, I guess you want to call it. And had a successful run in the army, and that happened. That was for quite a few years, and then he returned to the States and he decided to return to just north of Seattle. And when I had met him first, we had met at this beach north of Seattle, Edmunds, and he said, do you see that out there? Like looking at the ocean? And that was the first thing he said, was I saw this the very first time, and I knew this is where I wanted to live nowhere else. So when he came back from from his his service military service, he came right there because that's where he wanted to be. So, you know, so that was all fairly good. He ended up getting a job as a police officer in self, just south of Seattle, a little bit north of Tacoma. I can't remember the little like Pewalla.
Speaker 4: There's Milton and Lacey. If he first worked at Lacey Washington.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Lacey was the Yeah, Lacey was right outside of Olympia and the puall up with the other one and yeah, so he was he was a police officer.
Speaker 4: And his life changes too, and that he gets to acquire as a stepdaughter named Jeanie, and she's comes into his life at twelve years old, and a couple of years later Jack and her mom, Sue, I believe, in nineteen ninety four, they get married and he changes his name from John Tesseer to Jack McCullough. And that's because it's his grandpa's nickname for him and his mother's maiden name.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, actually his mother. You see, the it was he was he was when he was born in England to his father and mother. His father was in the war, and his mother used to keep him hidden up in the uh in the fields, away from the bombings. His father was killed and his mother worked as a nurse. She met an American and fell in love and took Jack and they moved to Sycamore outside of Chicago together. So and then his name was changed then to Testia on the marriage. And so after all of these things we describe, and all of the happenings with his family and his mother dying, being very sick at the time, he wanted to honor her. So he wanted to go back to the name he would have had if none of this other stuff had come along since his English days when he was born to his original father and lived with jen At his mother Jeanie. Yeah, So in his mind he wanted to go back to the person he was.
Speaker 4: Yes. And what happens as well is that she gets a call. Sue and Janie get a call, or at least they get a call from Jean Tessier calling her to tell her what an evil man her husband Jack, her brother John really is, or used as an opportunity to stop for a second to talk about Ring. Ring's mission is to make neighborhoods safer. You might already know about their smart video doorbells and cameras that protect millions of people everywhere. Ring helps you stay connected to your home anywhere in the world, so if there's a package delivery or surprise visitor, you'll get an alert and be able to see, hear, and speak to them all from one all from your phone. That's thanks to the HD video and the two way audio features on Ring devices. I receive my spotlight cam battery, a battery powered security camera with LED spotlights and siren, a motion activated security light with a high defth camera and automated recording, and two way talk bright enough to light up our backyard two hundred seventy degrees in motion detection, easy to follow instructions. I installed it easily and pretty quickly. Like I say, lit up the whole backyard. My wife and I feel very secure with a Ring spotlight cam. As a listener, you have a special offer on a Ring starter kit available right now with a video doorbell and motion activated flood like cam. The starter kit has everything you need to start building a ring of security around your home. To Ring dot com slash murder, that's Ring dot com slash murder. Now, Allen, we were talking about a call that the newly married Jack McCullough newly newly named from John tests to Jack Daniel McCullough and his wife gets a call from Gene tests A saying what an evil man Jack was? What kind of evil is she referring to?
Speaker 3: Well, the sister was referring to him for a lot of things, but the main thing was he was accused of raping his sister. And yeah, and that that's and and actually not just by himself. He would he picked up his sister and took her to a friend's house, and all of his friends took turns with her, and they all would abuse and and and rape her. And he had actually done this a few times according to the original phone call, the first time that they started coming out with it. So I think that that's what you're referring to absolutely.
Speaker 4: And there are six sisters of them, not correct, and they are stepsisters. So he came into the family and then these are the stepsisters, and they always had issues with them. Our other sisters supportive of what she says, tell us about that support or lack of support within those sisters and what's consistent or inconsistent in your mind with what they're saying about their brother.
Speaker 3: Well, well, look, I think that the family split on it. I think that the two sisters that eventually went to the police with it, of course obviously believe he did it. Or yeah, they believe he did it. The younger brother no, then the other sister, I would say, no, stays out of it and doesn't agree with it. The thing is that what really strikes me is, you know, she was describing these events happening when she was fourteen and thirteen, and Jack being sixteen and seventeen, and him picking her up in his car, driving her to an apartment and all of his friends were there drinking, and then they all raped her, and they all did it several times, and then they finished, and he told her get dressed real roughly, and she put her clothes back on, and he drove her back home, and then they had dinner. And you know, nineteen fifty seven, the family dinner, father, mother and all the kids sit around the table that was dinner table in America. This is how things were in fifty seven. Yeah, And if you didn't live that way, you were unusual. And I just could not imagine a fourteen year old girl. And you know, we were really naive back then, in the fifties and sixties. I didn't know the kids today know so much more than we ever would have about any sexual issues, and so I couldn't imagine being raped from four or five guys over and over again all afternoon, and then coming home and being able to sit and have breakfast and or at dinner, and to have your mother and father, how is your day at school? How is your day? And having that kind of conversation, and her to be able to sit there and to have the the strength, the moral strength for her to be able to pretend nothing happened. I really found that suspect. I you know, I don't know. I don't know how you feel about that, but I find it hard to believe that that kind of scenario happened.
Speaker 4: I think, I think when I listened well and not listen when I read it at first. Do I want to believe a victim? And I do, And I want to believe them and I do, and I have to give them the benefit of the doubt, But would like with the I think, because you know, you did ask and he was asked Jack McCollough was asked, did you touch your sister? Did you Is there any you know? Is there any veracity to this claim? And what did he have to say? So, Yeah, yes they did. He did fool around with them. And again we're not so naive to think that this doesn't happen in families. That never happened in families, not in five to fifty seven or twenty eighteen. But the thing is, I think when I read her account in your book, sounded like exaggeration. It sounded like unlikely, unlikely scenarios to say that you could most of it could be verified. So I think that certainly something may have happened, but her account suffers from exaggeration and implausibility. So is it all untrue? Some of it is?
Speaker 3: Well, I'll tell you I left thinking that dealing with the family and dealing with the way he answered things, I think that they were very close, and I think some things did happen, but it wasn't like what she explained it. I think that they had a relationship where they did fool around. I think things happened, and I think it happened over a period of years, like four or five years. There was never any complaints or problems, and it wasn't until years later, all of a sudden, when there was issues she came out and lashed out at him with this story. And I think, you know, I'm not a psychiatrist, but I think there was. Like I said, it's a very complex story, and I think something snapped in her and all of a sudden, he became the rapist instead of their benefits that they had together. And I say that for a lot of different reasons. You know, she changed her story so many times, said where it was said, who the other guys were, and when it went to court, eventually it was just dismissed. There was just no evidence that made sense, nothing that lined up. And this is the kind of this is the part that Jack wanted to stay away from. He wanted to protect his sister because I think in his mind, I think Jack thinks that his sister was there was something wrong with her mentally, there was an issue, And to this day, he's still trying to protect her, or was still trying to protect her. She died back in January of breast cancer. But he didn't want this out. He didn't want people talking about this because he said that's all that they would focus on. It's all that we would be thinking about, and not about what's really wrong with the justice system and all that. So he was really anti getting into the conversation. But I will do add one thing for the people on the edge not sure what to think. She went through five other cases of being group raped and had brought them to the police and charged people with being raped, and every single one of them was dismissed. So, yeah, no, she's not alive, and we have to be completely fair. And I'm not saying that they weren't. Maybe they were all true, and that's a terrible thing to happen. I don't know, but being from the fifties and sixties, it seems like I have I had very little access to find out what was true and what wasn't, but I'll do. But I will tell you it just seemed really there was something very not real about how she talked about it. And that's the only way I can leave it.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about this because he comes to some of this. We'll say, honestly, for lack of a better word, in that when the mother Francis was questioned about John's whereabouts that night, she said he was home all night. So the sisters conferred later spoke amongst themselves and said, we were so paranoid, the family was so paramoid to Dad and Mom put up the two by fours on the door and barricaded so they said he wasn't home. We didn't see him for a couple of days. So Mom lied to the police. So this complicates the story. When one of the girls says on the deathbed and two of them say it on the deathbed, Mom said, one says she heard him say he did it, and the other one says he gave more detail as to he killed those two girls. He kidnapped the one he killed her. So as a result of that deathbed confession allegedly, what did the sisters do. And as much as the police have had a hard time believing this woman before with the rape allegations, what happens as a result of these allegations.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, eventually the Illinois State Police decided to take on and open up the case. After the confession, the one sister did approach several different departments FBI, and a lot of them were not interested and there was different reasons why. So anyway, they eventually got the one police department to search into it further, and uh, after a short little while, they decided that they would actually charge him with raping the sister, and they did that first just to see. I think they wanted to get him convicted of that before they went to the next case, because with Maria Ridolf, I don't think they felt like they had enough evidence and they weren't secure. They weren't feeling comfortable enough going for you know, a death penalty case, I think, so they decided to go it with it with the sister and the rape, which really disappointed the sister because they had promised her that they never would so and when they did go to court, they lost, they didn't win, so so that didn't work for them. But they did eventually take him to court and try to prosecute him and charge him for the kidnap of Maria Ridolf and that was successful down the road. But you know, the uh, the confession is pretty it's another one of those complicated things. You know, the girls are not telling the exact truth in the sense that Jack was getting his his military checkup and his and his he was at the intake center. We know this for a fact. We have the evidence from the phone call, and we have the evidence from the guy they'd interviewed him and was sitting with him. So no matter what, take away everything else, there's no way he can be at two places at the same time. So you know that that's a need your problem. And the other thing is his mother made him take the bus home. So when he got home, according to Jack, he met his friend and another child's brother and they looked. They went out hunting and searching for the girl, like with so many other people were out doing it. That night, the parents both went out and what they had done was they boarded up all the back doors and made it so that nobody could get inside unless someone inside would let them in. So the girls were home all night alone in that house. And so when they testified, they said, yeah, he never came home, but the mother didn't lie. He did come home, but he wasn't at home, but he was out looking with friends. So it was kind of like one of those it's the way you say it and it's not being exactly honest because none of them were being fully truthful. And plus, you know, you got the mother was sick with cancer, real bad and was dying for quite a while and was on heroin and would not know what she was saying. She was always dazed. She didn't recognize any of her family for weeks. Wow, she didn't even recognize didn't even recognize the daughters. She didn't know who anybody was for weeks. I don't know how reliable that is.
Speaker 4: Sure, Sure, you talk about the first and this is where Jack McCullough in your talks with him, he has certain people that he will single out for his criticism, and one of those people is this prosecutor, Clay Campbell. And Clay Campbell, when we talked about the FBI coming into that case and then leaving that casey, that affects this trial dramatically. And part of it is that the FBI. What normally, I guess the defense would see is what the FBI had said and confirmed of this phone call at six forty seven, basically saying he couldn't be in Rockford forty miles away. And at the same time, so what does Clay Campbell do in terms of that timeline that seems to be established by the FBI and all the other evidence we just talked about, what do they do in that trial? To get that convictions.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, first of all, you know they had the FBI files sealed so that they wouldn't be allowed in the trial. And so you have to realize Clay Campbell as well as the judge, as well as the defense all have to read the file, all have to you know, talk about it, and then the judge has to make the decision. He decided that it would be hearsay and he could not allow any of it in for evidence. So you've just wiped out that whole FBI filed their timeline everything, so Clay changes the time zone by two hours, so he made everything offset so that it could be possible that Jack did it. And then he also tried to produce a witness saying that he saw that they saw Jack in town driving his car around that he had bought the one that apparently he had raped his sister in. But the problem with that one was that he had actually sold the car, and we know he sold the car two days earlier from the paperwork, so he did not have a car, so so you know, anyway, but he changed the The other thing is, what's an interesting fact is how we know it couldn't have been two hours earlier, an hour earlier, or anytime earlier, just to confirm that. Kathy Segman, the other girl that was out with Maria Ridolph Plane, decided to go in and get her doll. So she ran home, opened the door and went in and she was going through her dolls, and her mother asked what she's doing, and she had picked up a brand new doll that she had just got. Mother said, you're not going to go out and play with that. Take something older, like a raggiar doll. You just got that. So when the mother left, she took the good doll anyway, and she went out the back door. But because she went out the back door to avoid her mother, who did she go through her father? Her father was sitting watching a Western television show. This television show airs six to seven pm in Chicago in nineteen fifty seven in December, so they only had two television channels, and so that confirms that between six and seven she got the doll, and that's when Maria went missing. So you can change it on it, but they see none of this gets given to the jury and you get rid of the FBI file. All of a sudden, it's just Clay Campbell saying, we're estimating that she went missing between five and five and six. That's the problem, and that's that's you know, consider it corruption, consider it inefficiency, consider it police just trying to convict who they think did it, who in their hearts really believed did it, so they just push it along. I don't know. I can't give those answers, but factually they changed the time, they eliminated the FBI file, and and then they even the even they did, they even avoided having the father testify. There there goes, there goes any sort of reasonable evidence. M hm.
Speaker 4: You talk about too that it's interesting when a person goes to jail he was an ex police officer and a convicted child killer, So you're not you're going into jail under the worst of conditions, never mind innocent, but also you're going into a very dangerous place and with people that might want to kill you. You talk about an incident there that involving his eye.
Speaker 3: Tell us about this, Yeah, you know, the very first day he's in prison and knowing that he's child killer and possibly rapist and he is an ex cop, what do they do? They put him in a general population and then the guards put him in with a guy who they knew would attack him, and this is in his suggestions. He's like, this is the games they play. The guards will do things to people inmates on purpose. So they threw him in with the guy. And the guy the very first thing he said is I'm going to kill you. So of course doesn't matter laying awake all night or not. This guy had cleaned off the end of a toothbrush and when he was sleeping he jumped Jack and stabbed him right in the eye with it. And UH, and to make it worse, there was there was another another case too, where another inmate did the same thing and UH chased him down the stairs and stabbed him in the ear. You know, he gave me. UH. We had a day of all of the things that they had done to him on purpose, and I kind of put in the kind of the major few. But he was he was under terror the whole time. And even when they stuck him in there and they would back, then they would stick you in the nut ward. You know, people that were unbalanced and stuff, and so at best his h cellmate would be someone that's not very balanced. Are they're in there for a problem. And there are there very violent, so he had a lot of problems. It was not a it was not a good good time for him.
Speaker 4: At the same time, though, he has some hope in that he gets a sort of an assistant that he doesn't become a jail house lawyer, but he gets somebody that that is assisting him to follow these appeals, and there is at because he doesn't have a lawyer and doesn't have the means. He writes finally, this handwritten note. This is while well, tell us about the handwritten note, but also I just wanted to mention for audience too that his wife Sue and the stepdaughter Jane are behind him despite this incarceration. They are supportive and behind him, and he writes this handwritten letter. What happens with this letter as.
Speaker 3: A result, well, you know the thing that, yeah, yeah, it is important to mention that his wife right behind him, stayed with him through the whole thing, and even now she's on death bed and in the hospital. Quite often he spends most of his time just being with her. And you know, you know, you picture this seventy eight year old guy that's you know, so much has happened and so much time's passed now and you're you're, you know, nearing the end of your life and you just, you know, from your trailer home to you take the bus to the hospital to spend time with the wife that waited for you while you're in there. I can't I can't tell you how important that is, you know, for for people to realize that. And and the daughter in law. I've also included her testimony to her note her letter to the Core and about how if he was a molester, she would have never known it. She's been with him since she was twelve, and there's just no way that that happened. And so I think that people have to realize that there's so much more to it.
Speaker 1: And with.
Speaker 3: Your family support, that helps so much.
Speaker 4: To just complicate this. And I apologize for this, but that's why these stories are very complicated, and police suspicions are very complicated too. But there was an incident in nineteen eighty two while he was still a police officer. This is why he was fired, but apparently he was rehired after that. But some inappropriate behavior, to say the least. He let a young Runway stay in his home with their friend, and there was contact. He was convicted. It was a plea bargain. But again, if we talk about dirt, this is some dirt. I would say to mar this guy's reputation, you know, a fourteen year old runaway. So anyway, let's get back to he's incarcerated, his family's waiting for him, his wife and stepdaughter waiting for him, and someone named a prosecutor, state attorney actually from Decab County gets involved with this note. Because the result of the note there is a domino effect. And then this state attorney named Shmack is advocating for his release. Tell us about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Richard Smack, independent, you know, the state attorney and for Illinois. Just after all of that, he decided to study through the case and study through all the parts and the conviction, and he used the FBI reports a lot and reinvestigated everything with all the evidence he could, and he you know, with it. It was within six months he had decided that there's absolutely no way that the right man was in jail, the right man was not convicted, and that they had to do something about it. So he took it to the court to have his case overturned, and he sort of really led the he led the group and the whole thing to get to get this case resolved, and and it worked. It took a while, but by by January seventeen, it was just about over. When I said, you don't get a state attorney coming forward saying yeah, this guy's been put in wrong. This guy didn't belong here. You know, that just doesn't happen. And we knew it wasn't going to be long once that happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And of course his wife was waiting and his stepdaughter, and you talk about the lawsuit about wrongful conviction, and he has a bunch of fifteen defendants, but you did extensive interviews, and we haven't spoken so much about that. What was his goal with those lawsuits? What is he his life been like since he's been out. We've just talked a little bit about it. Who does he want to thank? What does demeanor?
Speaker 3: You know, I have a lot of that in there, so people can kind of grasp. I didn't want to, you know what. I didn't want to sway it either way. Jack is who he is and I can't make him more presentable or less presentable. I just I kind of tried to put exactly how and who he was across the table. He's he's kind of a rough character. I think he's he seems very happy character. He's very smart. During the time in prison, he learned four languages to read and write, studied a lot of history. He did a lot of things that a normal person wouldn't have that was put away for life. He didn't stop living, and I think that was his his his mentality. That was when when you asked him, you know, when were you planning on getting out? And he said, well, the last my last breath is when I'm free. It's when I'll get out. Then why would you study? And it's like, well, why wouldn't I. Why wouldn't I make myself better? Why wouldn't I exercise my mind? Why wouldn't I. There's so much to learn and read. So he had that attitude that was very positive. It was very different than than when you meet him, because he is so kind of gruff, you know, you know some of the state. One of the first statements he made was the problem with America is they let a woman go to work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: There's things like that. But as you get to know him, you start to realize that he was more concerned with the American family, having nobody at home to be with the kids and to raise the kids. It wasn't so much toward woman, So it just sort of he come from a different time. But I didn't want to soften all that up. I just wanted to put it all out there as is, and my first day meeting, I just did a whole chapter with that, just like this is what it was like, this is kind of how we talked, and what's become of it. As far as the lawsuits, it's all for his kids. He's not interested in any of them. He doesn't think about them, and he's not involved other than I guess when they need him to talk or write something or testify. The only thing that he is interested in is getting the law fixed, getting the law changed, or getting some sort of cause, some sort of an effect of this not being able to happen to other people. And with that comes the corruption. Clay Campally, Yeah, there's a lot of corruption in the system. The way it happened to him, the way it was manipulated, and the way that the evidence was you know, the FBI evidence was taken out and at the same time they altered the evidence that they had to make it, make a conviction. It's corruption. And to top it off, the three year statue of limitation in Chicago. In Illinois, nothing can happen to those police officers. So you've got this system made up where basically they wanted to put away someone they didn't like. It was almost like the Steve Avery case in a sense, someone that you just get rid of that you really hate and don't like, not popular in the neighborhood. Put him away. Oh, just change a few documents here, put him away, and he's gone. And maybe you know, I can't speak for the mind of the cops. You know, I'm always supportive cops, So this is not a easy thing for me to say. I'm not coming out bashing him. I think there's just people that have corruption, or there's people that have perhaps though that they really believed he did it, and they were just just making a few pushes to make sure he got put away. I can't you know, there's no way. You know, I can't say either way. But his main concern is to get the system fixed, that's all he wants.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a good start when you can expose this and get the information from Jack Daniel mccullu and also his family to be able to help you put this incredible story together, especially given very interesting that Charles Lachman was on footsteps in the Snow, very popular book made into a movie. And again, like you say, a kind of short on connective tissue in terms of support of the evidence. And of course a state attorney thought no way and fought against another prosecutor. I mean they upheld that conviction. He still persevered. So it's an interesting story of justice prevailing. But again it looks like somebody at least took information and had cooperation in making that evidence fit. If you're withholding information, it's the same as fabricating information. If you do both, then you really have a case for conspiracy. And I hope and I wish him the best in his lawsuit. With this, I want to thank you very much Alan for coming on and talking about the last man standing. Is Jack Daniel McCullough a true story? This is a wild blue press release. Tell us a little bit how they might find more of your work and is there a website or Facebook page they might refer to?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, I have a website somethingweirdmedia dot com and that deals with me and everyone I work with. So if you want books or podcast radio shows anything like that, any of the hosts or guests we've had, and my Facebook of course, Alan R. Warren and I have an author page on Facebook as well and Twitter, and that's it.
Speaker 4: And also you're the the True Crime program as well House of Mystery every week co host fantastic podcast radio program, and so thank you very much Alan for coming on and talking about this. You're quite a prolific writer as of late, and I appreciate you coming on and bringing these consistently very very interesting stories. Thank you very much, Alan, You have a great evening and hope it. Talk to you again soon.
Speaker 3: Thank you, good night.