Speaker 1: So we've made it through the first month of the season. Kansas is undefeated and unscathed November for your Kansas basketball Jayhawks. But what is this just a quarter of the way into our season, maybe not even a quarter, more like a fifth of the way end of the season, and we already got a co host on load management with the world.
Speaker 2: Going on there he went to the Lebron James school of load management. It's funny because Lebron James didn't go to school.
Speaker 1: L Landon Fields. I don't know. You can start calling him that. Does that work?
Speaker 2: That's fine?
Speaker 1: No, I don't think it works. I think you're you're okay, you know you're you're You're still new on this show. So I understand your hesitance to go against the very loud, original itp host. But you can flat out tell me, no, Ryan, that sucked. We cannot call him loland In Fields.
Speaker 2: I you know, it actually went over my head that you said Lelandon. I'm just figuring this out. That did kind of suck. You know what else sucked? The Furman of jokes. Yeah, Furman sucked. But also Ryan Day was born on third base and he is a fraud.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was so yeah, but you know what the best part of that game was, don't you what's that? It was the fight. It was the follow fight that happened after Michigan has like a twenty four point underdog, goes into Columbus and beats Ohio State. That was great.
Speaker 2: What's your take on that? Because I, like you guys had. My whole thing is they had an entire game to defend that field, and like, you don't maybe don't plant the flag, but you had an entire game two years the last two times you played there, and you couldn't do it. So don't go tackling people after that.
Speaker 1: I don't know, right, you have your chance to beat them. You knew they were gonna do it. If if Ohio State, if the game was in Ann Arbor and Ohio State one, they would have planted the flag. That's kind of what. Yeah, for sure, now they plant the flag and now you want to show fight. I'm sorry, did you not think you could do it for sixty minutes on the field? I thought it was ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Like I want to see Kansas plant the flag at mid court at Missouri Arena in like a week and just see what happens.
Speaker 1: Now that be one entertaining, but two not as consequential because there's only gonna be like six hundred and fifty fans there to get mad, and I don't they all have guns, right, But that's yeah, that's the scary part. We drove through the Missouri campus earlier in the summer whenever my wife and I drove to Nashville. You drive right through Columbia and Saint Louis on your way there, and Missouri's campus is actually really nice. I was in press. Columbia is a pretty upgraded college town, and the campus looked great. We happen to be driving by or driving through it on the day that the football season began, so traffic was ridiculous. But the arena itself looks really old, like it just kind of looks like a big, I don't know, like a big ice rink, like you know, the community ice rinks that are that are in every town. That's just kind of what it looked like. Pretty disappointing. And yeah, Kansas entering a week where they will have two road games, both against Midwest opponents that have started their season lacklusterly. But you know, still two road tests. You told me before we get into Kansas and and Furman and as I'm sure that's everybody is just dying for us to talk about that. You told me today that you went to Ikea for the first time. Yeah, and you're in your twenties and a and Ikea.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So I'm twenty eight and I moved to the Chicago area within the last couple of days. In my apartment right now looks like the Will Smith meme when he walks in and there's just nothing but an empty room. So I went to Zykea and I bought like a side table and then I also bought a chair, and I tell you what, like They're so easy to build, and it took me six hours between the two projects. I mean, it was awful. But yes, I know, I'm fully immersed in the Chicago culture here. I got my hair chopped up yesterday by a gad that didn't speak a lick of English. I went down my eyebrows threaded. That was something never I did that once before. Yeah, dude, once dark times.
Speaker 1: We ever would have guessed that that you were threading.
Speaker 2: Guy, I hey man, it is what it is. I have no internet, so I have to find stuff to do.
Speaker 1: That's true. No internet, and you're not watching the NFL without without a TV streams, so you may as well as your eyebrows threaded right absolutely to kick off the holiday season.
Speaker 2: Welcome inside the eyebrows, folks.
Speaker 1: Inside the eyebrows.
Speaker 2: I like it.
Speaker 1: I am Ryan Landreth, and I am I have one more job than Ryan Day will have shortly. That's true, yeah, because Ryan Day should not. I mean, geez, the perhaps I'm trying to think, who's the college basketball equival one of Ryan Day? Is it Shire?
Speaker 2: A guy who I think it's Actually that's an amazing take, actually mine.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but I think Shire. See the thing with Shier is I think he has potential to get better. I think the whole world knows Ryan Day is just a bum.
Speaker 2: I think he is too. And the weird thing about Ryan Da he's forty seven and one against Big ten teams not named Michigan, but he has not won a national title. And they have it is John Shires. They have a twenty million dollar nil roster and they got beat by a team that had a quarterback who has milk jugs for hands. I don't know how, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's well, I gotta tell you, I'm glad that somebody but he took an embarrassing loss on the football field to really make a disappointing ending to their season, because I don't know anyone else who did. Yeah, do we have I need to put that on the dam Lance and also Jeff Grimes who Baylor in Portland. Yeah, and all of them. Jalen Daniels probably the last time you'll see him play at this point. And Devin Neil deserved better, He really deserved better. Very disappointing ending for the Kansas football Jayhawks. Who but we all said that was gonna happen. Like, how easy was that to see coming? Let me guess you bet on?
Speaker 2: The Hawks did, and I also was. I thought it was funny how Kansas football took a note out of Bill Soft's page in elimination game losses and lost by six hundred points. At least it didn't lose two.
Speaker 1: So yeah, here we are, much like Bill self season ending losses. It's they left the door open for us to say it was the offense that sucked. Nope, it was the defense that sucked. You couldn't go either way with it, Like I don't know which one to start with just a really disappointing loss. Kansas football does all that work and they end their season, the most anticipated season in fifteen years. They end with five wins. And if you had been told at the beginning of the year that they were gonna have a three game winning streak against ranked teams, I don't think you would have said they go to and seven and the other nine.
Speaker 2: No, I would. I would assume they're in the college football playoff.
Speaker 1: Or damn just beat freaking you and l V when you lead by eleven and a half time and you at least get on a ball game.
Speaker 2: This is a before we get this is the last thing I'll say before we get into Furman. But the do you remember the fumble against UNLV where there were like seven Kansas players around the football? Okay, it's the exact same diving on it, and yeah, it's exact same thing as the that rebound against Oregon and the Elite eight that the last one that went by like four Kansas players and led to like a last second shot lock three. Same concept by the by Tyler Dorsey, who haven't heard from since just he's playing for the Han Tigers.
Speaker 1: Probably yeah, yeah, and he spurned Kansas too. A lot of people forget he was a heavy bill self recruit that a lot of people thought was a Kansas lock. And he winds up going to Oregon and then Nike. Yeah, yeah, has a great and you know, of course, now if everything was was you know, legal, wink wink, who knows what Dorsey would have ended up. Because I need to I need to get that drop and have it go right whenever it says bills because now it's legal. But yeah, hey, you know what, the football team let us down. The basketball team at least they beat Furman. Right that that that to two relatively equal things for us to talk about today.
Speaker 2: One step better than Tony Bennett and Virginia.
Speaker 1: Anything, the worst case of diarrhea you've ever had is better than as a step better than Tony Bennett. Then how is Virginia even doing? By the way, like I don't think, well, yeah, Virginia. They beat Manhattan by nine, I see lots of sixties and fifties. They lost to Saint John's by twenty five the other day, and then they lost that's the game of Tennessee where they lost sixty four to forty two.
Speaker 2: Like so they haven't taken a step forward or backwards. They're pretty much right where they were.
Speaker 1: They are exactly what you thought. Yeah, they're about to be five and three and that's that somebody who's not five and three. Number one, Kansas eighty six, Furman fifty one. I think this is probably the most impressive of the bye games thus far, right, like Howard sucks. And then they played a couple back to back. They played Wilmington and they played Oh who the heck? Else was Oakland? You're you're all my manor they played Oakland and those were both like eighteen point wins where they weren't they were good, not great. This was the bye game where they really blew the doors off of who we at least thought Entering had some pretty respectable numbers as a team.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely. And it was ironic because my dad texted me and I wasn't able to catch the first part the game and he said that Furman had four threes in the first seven minutes or something like that. But yeah, overall, I mean, this is what a number one ranked team should do. Hopefully the computers will like this game. I don't know if they will, assuming they do not, but yeah, really impressive game, and it's a good feeling to see Kansas blowout an inferior opponent and not keep it close.
Speaker 1: Did you notice the first National Bank logo on the court?
Speaker 2: I did a little bit. I just I'm not a fan of it. I mean, if you're gonna do it, at least make it Crimson and blue, right, I mean, don't put a green thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was my first thought. I didn't even I was driving an hour ago and I thought I was listening back to our Duke podcast where Landon made the joke about how Jeff Grimes can't wait or I think it was you actually that made the joke about how Jeff Grimes can't wait to put advertisers on the floor, And I thought, did they put that logo? And I just didn't see it? And I went back and looked, and it's there. So it was pretty subtle or irony glasses. I don't know which one it was, because I just wasn't paying attention enough to notice that that logo is now there. I still wish it wasn't, but it wasn't the eyesore that I feared it would be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just kind of one of those necessary Evils with nil I think, but yeah, it's not my favorite.
Speaker 1: So a close first fifteen minutes, as you mentioned, with the four to threes early, and it looked like it was going to be a real competitive game. It was twenty seven to twenty six Kansas through about fifteen minutes, and then that wound up being the setting the table for what was a total laugher. KU outscored Furman fifty nine to twenty five over the final twenty five minutes of play. The catalyst was kJ Adams, who provided the offensive highlights while KU's defense held Furman's team of a pretty pretty well shot I don't know whatever the word is. I don't want to call them sharpshooters because you know they're they're Furman, but they had shot the ball pretty well and Kansas held them to just nine of thirty eight from three after they made four of their first seven, and under thirty percent from the floor for the game. So it was a it was a pretty frustrating game for the Paladins, and Kansas's defense they rose to the occasion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's kind of interesting to look at the kJ Adams stats from yesterday, and I believe that kJ must listened to the pod because ever since we started dogging on him a little bit, he's turned into Wilt Chamberlain. But you know, that game yesterday was the prime example of a matchup where kJ Adams could play exceptionally well. And kJ is a really good basketball player. But you look at Furman, they're not a very athletic team. They're not a super tall team. I mean, you're looking at a team, a mid major team. And kJ Adams is obviously a really good basketball player, plays a lot of energy. But that's a game where he will shine and I'll be very curious to see how that holds up in Big twelve play or against someone like Creighton.
Speaker 1: So we're gonna talk all about kJ here in a second. But I have a question for you. I know that this is a good one to ask because I know you're not currently watching the game. So the Bills are just completely depanting the forty nine ers on Sunday night football in a blizzard, and Josh Ellen's receiving Josh Allen's line as a receiver tonight zero receptions, seven yards, one touchdown. How is that possible? Sir?
Speaker 2: Zero receptions seven yards.
Speaker 1: In a touchdown yep. Do you know how I'm assuming.
Speaker 2: I'm assuming that somebody fumbled and he no, that can't be it. I don't know.
Speaker 1: We're on the right track. Fumble. It is a lateral yeah. He he threw a pass to somebody and they were about to get tackled and Travis Kelcey styled. The guy lateraled it to Josh Allen, who ran in for a touchdown. So officially that goes into the score book as Josh Allen threw a touchdown to Josh Allen, which is pretty cool. That's what I basically he basically kJ Adams after kJ said, Okay, I'll do it on both ends and do it all myself against Furman. Doing it an NFL game and a Blizzard's a little cooler than just been doing it against freaking Furman. But you know, my take on Furman is how bad are those seven teams that they beat?
Speaker 2: Oh Man, I don't even know who. Honestly, I don't even know off the top of my head who they played, but I'm sure they were. We'll call them ken palm Net merchants.
Speaker 1: Yes that I think the best team they beat is Belmont. They beat. They also have a win over Seattle University. They have a win over Jacksonville, Tulane, Charleston Southern, and then two D two or nai A schools that don't have an ESPN page, including a school called Oglethorpe that they beat one hundred and twenty four to forty eight.
Speaker 2: Oglethorpe sounds like a guy that would splash in four to three pointers in the first half of around a thirty two game.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's because you're thinking of Eggle Sedter, who is close to those valves. And he did, in fact make two threes in the first half. Fun fact, he had only made one entering that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, a lot of pain, a lot of therapy for that one. He also kind of looked like if you look at him and you look at the Clash of Clan's Giant, he looks very similar to that.
Speaker 1: See I was going with, so the Clash of Klans, the Class.
Speaker 2: Of Dead series. Yeah, it's it's it's it's amazing.
Speaker 1: As for the Jayhawks, they are seven to zero now for the first time in six years. Had a little bit of problems with that stat on the podcast. Last time I know this for sure. This time, the last time they made it through November without a loss came in twenty eighteen. Similar start to that season. Remember that team wound up being really disappointing, but much like this one does. That team had a Champions Classic win over Michigan State. Not like tom Izzo to lose games. What the hell is going on there? And then they all, that's that's true. It doesn't go October Izzo December. I know that because of John Roth scene. But Kansas that year also had a thrilling overtime win over a top five Tennessee team, kind of like how this year this team has a thrilling win over Duke. That team had a lot of early season victories. They were bumped from the number one ranking because the Zion Duke team just raced out of the gates. But that team started ten and oh they were really good, and then injuries start and they finished like sixteen and eleven or something like that. But this year we have optimism that it will not be the same for Kansas. They started they are seven to zero for the first time in six years, and I know they have two road games, so I'm gonna I'm gonna get to the schedule, and I want you to tell me I'm gonna read all their games, and you stop me when I get to the first loss. Here we go at Creighton, at Missouri, North Carolina State, Brown, West Virginia.
Speaker 2: Stop it Brown, I'm kidding.
Speaker 1: So you gotta if you got them beating West Virginia at home, you got them going five and oho in December, and then you go at Then you go at UCF Arizona State at home, and then it gets interesting because they have at Cincinnati, who's currently the only other ranked or undefeated team in the Big Twelve. That's a tough game. And if you think they get through that one Wednesday night at Iowa State is next, oh man, I want it's probably one of those. Yeah, And honestly, it wouldn't shock me. Every year Kansas has that little stretch where they play really poorly, fans freak out inside the paint comes out with a hey, don't panic, guys, it's college basketball.
Speaker 2: It'll be fine. Episode. They very well could lose those two games back to back and it wouldn't surprise me. It also wouldn't freak me out that much. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they lose at Cincinnati and they actually win in games for a little bit of a plod twist, but I could definitely see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's one of those. And I don't think the Creighton game is easy. What would you say Kansas is odds of getting out of this next week at Creighton at Missouri undefeated. Is if they if they play that sequence ten times, how many times do they win them both?
Speaker 2: I think they win it. Probably six or probably seven times out of ten would be my guess. I think the Yeah, I mean they're they're they're on paper, they're the better team between the two. Missouri's tough, it's a rivalry game. That game is going to be fun, but they should beat Missouri relatively easily. Creton, on the other end, hasn't played well, but they've also had injuries. I still think Kansas should should be able to make it through those two games. With relatives, they are definitely the better team. Creighton scares me more than Missouri because Creighton has a lot of talent. It hasn't gelled, but as you said, injuries have been a big problem there. But Kansas certainly should be favored in both of those games. And if they do get past each of those games and they get to nine to zero, then.
Speaker 1: I think you're looking at unless you think North Carolina State Brown or West Virginia gets him at Allen Fieldhouse, you have him at least in January. And and UCF you know who knows. They obviously lost their last year and they play a stretch where they have four of six to open twenty twenty five on the road, with two of those games being at teams that are in the top fifteen. So but for now, we'll enjoy all of the wins that they give us. Okay, you want to talk about kJ Adams. I think that it's probably time to give him his flowers. He deserves them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once again, kJ Adams a stout listener of the podcast here using it as his mixtape and warm ups. Yeah, kJ Adams, he's probably got my voice on repeat. Soon to be a big PLAYLF Player of the Week, kJ Adams tied a career best twenty two points on ten for twelve shooting in twenty seven minutes. He added six rebounds and three assistant routes of being the best player in the game by a long shot, Furman represents a perfect matchup for kJ not a super big team, not tons of athleticism kind of a mid major school, which is also what you mentioned before. I mean, if kJ Adams played the school like Furman, he would be borderline all American with.
Speaker 1: His sta oh, he'd be yeah, unbelievable and uh.
Speaker 2: And again, kJ is a very very good basketball player. But we've said this for a while. It is so matchup dependent.
Speaker 1: Right well, and I you know, rock Chalk Blog, We've gotten some interesting comments this week from people who have definitely been waiting for kJ to break out, and then they've said, you know, hey, you know, he sure showed you or you've been dogging on him. Okay, that's that's a fair comment. He has absolutely played great and I have been critical of him, so have you, and so have several people on Twitter. And none of it comes from a venomous spot. None of us dislike kJ. None of us want kJ thrown out into the Buffalo snow. But it is a It's definitely fair to question whether or not kJ Adams, playing not at his best, still gives Kansas their optimal lineup. I don't think that there is much of a debate when this kJ Adams, the guy who is hitting mid range floaters, bringing that athletic intensity and all of his secondary pieces to his game, his passing, his outlet passing. Whenever you see him dishing it down court, you know things are going real well for kJ. Whenever he's playing like this. Undoubtedly he's in their high ceiling lineup, and we've talked about how he's a very matchup dependent player. You just said that in the monologue. Furman represents the type of team that you would expect kJ to just exploit. They are a team that relies on athleticism over height. That's gonna work out great in whatever league Furman plays in. kJ Adams level athletes different than Furman level athletes. He was always going to destroy that team, and height has been his biggest challenge. Well, Furman's starting center was six foot eight. Here comes kJ. He's more athletic than that guy, even though that guy can get away with it. In their mid major conference, big twelve level players are going to strut him. Every time. kJ looked like Hercules out there. I'm a little bit more skeptical to think that this can continue whenever they start playing teams with seven footers and a lot of the big twelve teams, big big gap in athletes have athletic fives who are a lot taller than kJ. Certainly kJ deserves a ton of credit. He has played great this week and he deserves the Big twelve Player of the Week award, which I am sure he will win considering he put up the statistical performance here and he was fabulous and the the catalyst and their victory over Duke on Tuesday night. But pipe the breaks, pump, pipe the breaks, pump the breaks on kJ Adams being an All American at this point, because we've seen him do this again against the Furmans of the world, and whenever the rest of the guards around him are playing well, it's really hard to be critical because kJ good kJ definitely elevates Kansas uh And I think it's he's a better fit. He's a better fit than he was last year too, because the rest of the guys can shoot, so his lack of shooting isn't as much of a liability. But we always knew good kJ was a stud. The question was can he do this against Big twelve teams? Are you convinced?
Speaker 2: No, not yet? And I think he'll It's hard. It's hard with kJ because I feel like with Big twelve teams going against the size, he won't be able to contribute in the box score, and then it becomes more of a question of whether it's a liability having him on the floor instead of someone like, you know, doing the four guard type lineup or I guess aj stores a forward or forward, but you know, like to me, it's it's more of a it's more of a question mark. I can see him playing well, I just don't know if he's going to contribute enough with rebounds and points to where it's going to help Kansas win games on the road at an Iowa State for example.
Speaker 1: Well, and Hunter Dickinson hasn't been the statistical performer that we thought he would be for the rest for this entire year. In these last two games, one of them is because he was thrown out, missed the last you know, thirty three percent of a game, and then in this game, Bill self has said at the beginning of the year that he wants to play, specifically to one and Hunter less than they were last year. He's a man of his word, he said, he needs to find opportunities to get them more rest. And whenever you're blowing Firman out feels like a good chance. To me, we didn't see those guys for as long as we typically do in this game, so I get that. But like Hunter, Dickinson is going to be the statistical stalwart that we know he is when they start playing in Big twelve games, when Hunter stats go up, typically Kj's go down. So is kJ going to revert to being kind of a laying clogger and make things a little more difficult for Kansas's definite leading scorer? Or is he going to be able to continue hitting those mid range flotters to continue finding open shooters whenever you have Store, Griffin and Mayo on the perimeter. If he is, he absolutely should be playing thirty minutes a game on this team. But if he's not, we've seen how that works last year, and it's not all his fault. Whenever other guys aren't hitting shots and when Hunter is being bottled up, that's whenever they need kJ to bring something that no one else is. It worked in this game they weren't hitting threes and Hunter wasn't scoring a lot, and kJ put the team on his back. I'm a little less convinced that he can do that against Big twelve teams, but it remains to be seen. So we talk about the Hunter Dickinson kJ shines against smaller but more athletic opponents. It wasn't Hunter Dickinson's ideal matchup. He was limited to ten points and six rebounds in twenty four minutes, five for eight from the floor. Flory Badonga was excellent. Badonga kind of is that in between of kJ and Hunter where he's a superb athlete, but he's also a lot taller than kJ and kind of do both of their both of their roles to a lesser extent. Flory had eight and six and fifteen minutes and absolute per Foty numbers. Stack Stacker is this guy k Ku has three very different bigs and whenever they're all working together like this, they're a really good front court.
Speaker 2: And thankfully none of us have to do the work of figuring out which of these players to play and how they fit in the rotation. And also thankfully we have a Hall of Fame coach at the helm for Kansas, and I do believe over the course of the season it will work out more times than that. And I'm also a little bit curious on your thoughts of this. Do you think Florie's gone after this year.
Speaker 1: I think Florie is talented enough to be an NBA player. I don't know if he's gonna have the numbers that he needs to, but then again, we've seen guys go pro after not so I mean, Kelly Youubray was a lottery pick after scoring like like nine points a game in college. So I don't know how much of it's gonna matter. If I had to put my finger on it, I will say no, he's not a one and done, But I think I think he's got the tools to be a very good NBA player.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Agree, that's kind of my level of thinking as well.
Speaker 1: Like if he assuming next year, Florie's back and they're gonna lose so many pieces, you have to think that sophomore Florie Badounga projects to be a dominant big twelve center. Yeah, and he's a huge part of that team, obviously losing Dickinson as well as potentially.
Speaker 2: Well possibly I guess store.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of everyone right, so he he would be here only two Yeah, that may have that, and they might. They lose kJ they lose Hunter, they lose to one, they lose Mayo, and they lose who's.
Speaker 2: The other guy they lose, Zach Clemmons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, Zach's got one more year. If he's here now, I don't know why, why would he buzz off?
Speaker 2: Maybe Zach Clemmons comes back and has the Mitch Lightfoot Big Twelve Player of the Year season that we never saw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whenever Mitch Lightfoot averaged what Okay, just just a blind test, what do you think that Mitch Lightfoot who everybody said was a just a critical piece and he had a few good games, he had value, I know, But what do you think Mitch Lightfoot's numbers were that that.
Speaker 2: Last season, the last season at Kansas.
Speaker 1: If I had to, I would say he probably averaged somewhere around four and a half points per game and five rebounds per game.
Speaker 2: That's my gas.
Speaker 1: Nailed it with the points, four point six points per game, rebounds less than three. Shot sixty six percent from the floor, so just about everything they threwed him was a bucket. Also barely shot fifty percent at the free throw line. Like I heard about how that man was this impactful, critical player, and then I see hundred Dickinson get chastise for games where he scores eighteen and has ten boards. I can't figure out you should.
Speaker 2: You should put a Twitter pull out and say who would you rather have leading this team? Hunter Dickinson or Mitch Lightfoot senior Mitch likes and there would be at least ten percent of fans that would be like, you know what, I like the glue guy.
Speaker 1: It would be thirty three percent at least. I did you remember the pull last year wherever I said who was the better Who's a better college basketball player? Between hundred Dickens and Marcus Garrett?
Speaker 2: I can't That makes me want to just.
Speaker 1: Arcus got fifty five percent of those votes. He won them.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't be allowed to vote if you said Marcus Garrett. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Landon went out after that show, and that's why he's not here today because he saw that poll one more time.
Speaker 2: Bagpipes, don't Jeff.
Speaker 1: The defense. I'm talking about the defense because the defense was really good. They held an offense that had posted really good numbers, albeit against Horrenda's competition. UNC Wilmington like, I get it, but their defense held them under thirty percent from the floor, under twenty four percent from three and as many turnovers as assists with eleven apiece that's quite good. Ken Palm has Kansas into the top ten now as the ninth best defense in college basketball. Typically Bill self defenses sharpened over the course of a season, but this year's defense looks very strong at the beginning of the year, and that was kind of the problem. And all the teams that Bill has that don't ever reach fruition, the offense the primary culprit. But I think the moment in all of those seasons where you realize that this team just really ain't gonna make it is whenever you see them struggle to get stops down the stretch. Hasn't been a problem at all with this one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they they seem to be closing out on perimeter shooters a lot better. It's it's very reassuring to see this this early in the season, because, as you said, Bill Solf teams typically progress, they don't regress, aside from last year, and aside from the year of Gerald Vick getting put in the permanent doghouse and losing Udoka Azubuki, which I believe is twenty eighteen. So yeah, really really good sign for the Jayhawks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, defensive league opponents are shooting just twenty nine percent against against Kansas on threes that is top sixty in the nation and three points wage against. Right, Yeah, three point percentage against isn't a great stat to be like, we do this whenever it's on the other end, whenever teams are lighting Kansas up from three and people look at the percentage and say it's bad defense. So it's also not fair to look at the percentage and say it's good defense whenever opponents aren't shooting. Well, I agree the eye test, they are closing out on shooters. They also have better athletes, so it makes sense. But yeah, it's of all the thing. Like I used to always use this example with Land and whenever Kansas, whenever there's four main parts here, there's two point shooting, two three point shooting, two point defense, three point defense. I can tell you right now, whenever Kansas has a game where they win it with their two point shooting and it's it's apparent. Same with their three point shooting, same with their two point defense. They played great interior defense and we all saw it whenever they You can't name me a game that you said, well, that team lost because their three point defense sucked. Like that's really not how it works.
Speaker 2: No, it's more or less which team gets hot because you're I mean, you're looking at college athletes, especially at the high level, you know, Division one. You're you're talking about guys that are phenomenal athletes. I don't care if you close out on shooters exceptionally well, there's absolutely an aspect of luck that goes into it. You've said that over the years, and I think from a fundamental perspective, Yeah, their perimeter defense has been very good. That being said, we've also seen Kansas teams who probably were ranked highly in Ken Palm on the defensive metric Fire Bond in the Elite eight or round to thirty two. I mean, it just happens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it happens. The best Kansas teams last year was actually one of the best statistical defensive just so crazy teams in the self era and everybody. I think the consensus would be that they sucked and they didn't if you just go by three point shooting defense, which is why it's not a great stat totally agree on. Let's move on to some of these guards. Here was another efficient game Fordwan Harris. He scored eight points four of eight shooting match to the eight points with eight assists in twenty six minutes. His assists a turnover ratio through seven games is now a sizzling forty three to.
Speaker 2: Ten, which Jalen Daniels could do that.
Speaker 1: Well, and then Kansas may have won. There's a reason Kansas basketball won more games in the month of nove And there's a reason Kansas basketball won more games after just one month of play than Kansas football did. And how many months three? Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's sad, sad loss. Oh. I don't need the whole thing. I just want the there. I could definitely use that. That feels like an intro whenever Kansas well, wait, do you see what they do in the round of thirty two this year? All right, tell me about tell me about Zeke Mayo, because I do think there's some talking points here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Zeke Mayo struggled shooting the ball again, going three for nine overall, one for five from three, finished with seven points and six assist in twenty seven minutes. Through seven games, he's averaging twelve points per game while shooting thirty two percent from three. He is currently four for twenty five shooting three since halftime of the North Carolina game. Are we concerned about this at all.
Speaker 1: A little bit, not super panicked this early in the year. But with each and every game, the am I nervous meter goes up like half a point. Is that fair?
Speaker 2: I think it's fair. It actually is kind of the same thing in my opinion. Going for the overall team, Yeah, some of them we'll head on here in a seck. But for zeg Mail, I mean, he's a phenomenal basketball player. He's proven over his career that he can make three pointers. I still think he will turn that around, but it is a pretty substantial slump that he's on. Thankfully it's a non conference I'd rather see this now than in you know, mid late February, for example, But yeah, it is slightly concerning.
Speaker 1: Correct, And Bill self said after the game, he said, overall, I'm real happy with where we are as a team, but I'm a little concern that we're not shooting thirty five percent as a team on as a team from three point land, because he said I thought we would and there's still plenty of time to get going. The three point shooting in this game, as you alluded to, wasn't good for the team. They were four for seventeen that's just twenty four percent. They didn't need it because they were dominant inside as you figured to be against these by games. But the shooting isn't what we thought it'd be. Thus far through set games, Kansas is shooting under thirty five percent as a team that is outside the top one fifty nationally, basically right in the middle, slightly above average three point shooting team. But Kansas is one of three sixty five according to a lot of according to the eight people, so you'd expect it to be higher. Are you. Are you more worried about Zeke Mayo than you are about the whole team or is it the other way around.
Speaker 2: That's actually a great question. I think it's not to be a politician here. It's a little bit of both, it is, I think it, Yeah, I mean it's both, right. I mean, Zeke Mayo's shooting struggles can contribute to the overall teams shooting struggles. But you know, for this team on paper, we've talked about this, they have so many viable options for three point shooting. You have to think at some point it will start to fall. But you look at a guy like Rylan Griffin, you have aj store Dwan Harris, even Hunter Dickinson can step out and hit a three. I think at some point it has to turn around. That being said, it also could be one of those cases of the nil the transfer portal didn't pan out the way we thought it would. I really hope that's not the case.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, you just look at the numbers. Dwan Harris is a thirty eight percent three point shooter for his career. He's three for thirteen this year. That's fifteen percentage points worse. We expect that to go up. Ryland Griffin is shooting just thirty four percent on threes, and he has a higher volume this year. But this is a guy who for his career at Alabama is better than that. He was thirty nine percent last year on a much higher volume. We expect Ryland Griffin to be okay. Zeke Mayo has been a very good three point shooter for his entire career. I think it'll get better. I'm beginning to think it may not be as elite as I thought it would be. I don't think this team's gonna flirt with forty, but I think they can definitely get to thirty six or thirty seven and that would be good. Like I mean, go back to that twenty eighteen team that was just considered to be a juggernaut. That team was barely forty percent, Like that is an elite, elite three point shooting team. The team before that, the twenty sixteen to seventeen team, was also there, and that was jo Him Mary because you had Frank Mason make almost fifty percent of his shots. The National Championship, the National Championship team, which we don't remember for being a great three point shooting team, but they made enough. We don't remember that team for not being able to make threes. That team was thirty five point five percent as a team. Big difference between that and the thirty four percent that Kansas is right now. If they can get to the thirty six or even close to thirty seven, I think that's going to be plenty enough. With what this team brings inside, I'm not that concerned, but I said I'd give it till Christmas. They have a few tune up games Brown North Carolina State's not very good. Missouri is not very good on paper. Like, if they're still hovering around this mark when we enter Big Twelve play, then I think you might start to get a little more nervous until then, keep firing the thing, keep firing the things.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you gotta let it fly, even if they're not falling. In conference played just let it fly.
Speaker 1: Two guys that have been above average three point shooters this year better than we expected, Aj Store and Davidkoy. You want to wrap up the guards and two of those guys are are are those two?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Aj Storre was quiet. He had four points in twenty three minutes on one for four shooting. Also Ryland Griffin, he did not make a three. He went five for five from two, finishing with ten points four rebounds of sixteen minutes. And David kuoit with the hairline of a fifty five year old insurance broker, added nine points and five boards in twenty two minutes, playing more than either Store or Griffin, which I will add I believe had to do more with the matchup than anything else. It feels like as long as Ku is getting quality minutes from two of these three, they'll be just fine. Considering Dwan, Mayo, Adams and Dickinson should all be providing production. I do really like watching David quite play basketball. I will say that Quoit is an awesome off the bench guy here because you don't you don't have to use him unless it's working, because you have enough pieces. So he's the sort of guy that you can go out there and if he's got it, then look what happened in this game.
Speaker 1: He plays twenty two minutes. He played really well, but whenever it's not going, you've had enough other bodies that you really don't need his services. I think that this is the perfect guy that a team like Kansas should look for. And they got him late. They got him in the summer, like these are not the sort of a late edition, and it was a huge beast then considering it probably cost them le Baron Fallon. But yeah, I think overall you have to be pretty happy as long. And I wrote that that blurb for you to read it as a matter of fact, I know that it's It may be a little weird sometimes reading statements that I make sound like our objective or that I make sound like subjective whenever I put it in writing. But yes, my two cents is the one Mayo. Despite his inconsistencyly on kJ and Hunter, you kind of know that they're always going to be okay for you, you just need two of those other three guys to give you quality minutes twenty quality minutes not be a liability, and that gives you six guys that you can count on, plus Flory, who's proven to be just fine. If they get that, they're gonna be fine almost every night out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I completely agree. It's nice to actually have depth on this team. Huge shout out to our buddy the unibomber Wilder Evers hit a three in walk on time. Walk Ons now have eight points this year. We are currently running out of by games. I don't know how the.
Speaker 1: Now almost half way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, that's a lot to ask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the problem is is you think, wow, we're almost halfway there and we're not even into December games yet. Yeah, but you need to be like eighty percent of the way there before Big twelve play if not. Oh yeah, but Brown's a big one, man. I know that it's not going to be a big one for a lot of reasons. But it's a big one for that bet.
Speaker 2: Oh for the prop bet, it's huge. It might be the deciding factor in the prop bet for all zero people that wagered on it. In sportsbooks, I just realized, for as much as I reference a Unibomber, I currently am the UNI bomber because I don't have internet or TV right And.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, you're you're living with nothing and writing manifestos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: And as you you pointed out, the unibomber lived in caves, and you're not in a cave, but you do. Yeah, I don't know possessions.
Speaker 2: It's it's kind of cave like you. I came home from dinner tonight and I was out getting grown whatever, and I came in and I opened the door and it was so dark that it took me a good twenty seconds to find the light switch. Yeah, I just gave up.
Speaker 1: And when without you know, I'm so, I'm so twenty first century, you know, boomer. And then I walk in my house and tell the Alexa to turn on the lights without that, I'm I. I have to think about where in my house the light switches are because I never touched them. I just tell them when the power goes out. And that's whenever we're like, oh crap, we gotta go find the light switches. Are they on that wall or that?
Speaker 2: That's so crazy to me and I guess.
Speaker 1: When the power goes out that that then the lights wouldn't try how about when the Wi Fi goes out, I'll try that one, because the Wi Fi lights switches wouldn't do much good if the light went out.
Speaker 2: Not having Wi Fi is it makes me appreciate when I have it. Not having Wi Fi is terrible?
Speaker 1: Is that? That is like whenever you have a sore throat and you think I took for granted all those times I didn't have a sore throat. It's kind of like it's it's like that with Wi Fi. And you notice now with with the all the devices we have, how many things you need Wi Fi for. Like I'm like, oh, the the internet's not working. I'm just gonna get on the PlayStation and play Mad Night.
Speaker 2: That's exactly, Yep.
Speaker 1: I can't do that.
Speaker 2: That's I have an Xbox and it's sitting at the base of the TV and it's just been you know, the screen's been blank for the last three days. Sad, sad loss. But we'll get through it.
Speaker 1: Literally, Hello Darkness, my old friend. Oh yeah, good game for KU, really good game for Kansas sixty one. Overall, this is the second game that we've seen this wild gap between their two and three point productions, seventy four percent on twos and twenty four percent on threes, just four four for six shooting free throws. They really there wasn't a lot of contact. The officials state, out of the way, glad we used our once every ten games. The officials were fine moment on Furman, not like we're gonna want to cash that in a better opportunity.
Speaker 2: Just wait until ams.
Speaker 1: They were Yeah, exactly, they were plus sixteen on the glass. They only turned the ball over seven times overall. This was like a couple more threes going down away from being a completely complete team effort for Kansas. Really nothing to complain about. One more random question for you. They are showing videos in Buffalo of how the Bills owner is worth six billion dollars. That is a six with what nine zeros? Yeah, it's a lot of zeros. They paid fans seventeen fifty an hour to shovel snow out of the concourse because they needed the sub shovel before the game today. How much would you have to be paid per hour to go shovel snow? And we're talking like we're not talking three inches of snow. We're talking like four feet of lake snow that's been dumped into that stadium. How much money would you have to be paid per hour tomorrow to get out and go shovel for a few hours.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I think it's somewhere around twenty five an hour. I would consider it at twenty five an hour, because if you do it for yeah, I don't even know if that's even worth it.
Speaker 1: Though it's gotta be sitting there like thirty after taxes. I don't doing it for anything else.
Speaker 2: I just I don't know, man, because I was just sitting there thinking. I once had a shovel mud off of golf greens after a catastrophic flood in Midland, and I did that for maybe six hours a day, and that was the worst week of my life. So I don't think it was horrible. I mean it's terrible. It smelled awful, I had to wear I looked like an absolute moron. I was wearing oversized boots that weren't even mine, carrying a shovel over my shoulders, singing sweet Sweet Alabama, What a sweet Caroline, whatever it's called, take me home country roads, carrying.
Speaker 1: One of those songs is way better than the other and it's not sweet Caroline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we were, you know, singing songs slaving away. But no, I think it's gotta be probably somewhere around thirty five bucks an hour. I would do it for that, but i'd probably watch an hour.
Speaker 1: So they have a couple of their fans on Twitter were like, you know what, it's not about how much we're getting paid. It's about the experience. But these are the same dummies that jump like like up in the tables and we're surprised that they have brain problems.
Speaker 2: What's what's the experience? You're gonna have grandkids someday and be like back in my day, I shoveled snow in that feet No one exactly.
Speaker 1: And they're tearing it down anyway. They're building a new one right now.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: The council, or the Buffalo City Council said, hey, we need taxpayer money to build this thing, but we're willing to take your suggestions into account. And the fans all collectively said, in like one of those surveys where you mark what features you want a new stadium, it was a huge percentage said, we just like a roof, we just want a roof in the city's like okay, we'll give you a roof and and and if you pay for most of it. And they're like okay. So they passed the ordinance and the tax money goes to the owners and they start building the stadium and then they come out and say, so, actually, we can't find a roof that would support all the snow we get, so we're gonna just build it without one. And it's already being constructed.
Speaker 2: This point, So what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: And they're building it like right next door to the to the current one. It's like it's like in the shadow in it. So yeah, great, I'm sure that'll go awesome.
Speaker 2: Cool, well done, Buffalo.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about all these other games, because there are plenty to talk about, and Landon's missing out Big Twelve games and it was, uh, well, I think the Big Twelve is good. They're not the best conference in college basketball this year because the SEC is just motor boating everybody means it does mean more and uh and the even even Porter Mosier has dropped his choker label whenever he got over there. It's proof of that power that that conference is full of Harry Potter magic powers. But the Big Twelve, we we still think it's really good. It's been kind of disappointing at this point though. There's only two Big Twelve teams that made it to December undefeated, and that would be your Kansas Jayhawks. Good job, Bill, give you a little bit of a wrap for that one. And the Cincinnati Bengal just kidding, they're awful. The Cincinnati bear Cats, and they're yeah, well not according to their fans. Their fans think that they are just a couple of tweaks away from getting right back into the thick of the playoff race. The Cincinnati bear Cats are the other undefeated team. Everybody else in the Big twelve has at least one loss.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Porter Moser, I definitely might have lost a couple of bucks on him betting against him because I just assumed he would choke.
Speaker 1: It's a safe bet. Keep doing it, you're not doing it every time, you're doing it to win the bulk of the time.
Speaker 2: He he will, He'll bounce back towards the mean at some point. But yeah, overall, Kansas and Cincinnati, who would have thought.
Speaker 1: And we'll talk about Number twenty four, soon to be No. Number twenty four Arizona's disastrous start when we get to the Atlantis Tournament later. But let's start with TCU. It was a terrible week for the horn Frogs. Ernest Udae has posted some nice numbers this year, but yeah, the team's kind of bad. TCU finished fourth in something called the Akrosher Invitational, which is okay in some tournaments until you learn the Akrosser Invitational has four teams. They lost to Santa Clara and also Colorado State in overtime. They are four and three. The horn Frogs are and their best win is probably Florida Gulf Coast.
Speaker 2: Not great, not great. This could be the last year for Jamie Dixon, just throwing that out there.
Speaker 1: I go back and forth on that, Like, on one hand, yeah, it's the like yet ten years of sample size and they're just not very interesting ever, but also as TCU getting anyone.
Speaker 2: Better, no, absolutely not. You're on that. And he's also he's like a we'll call him a serviceable college coach. It was kind of like when Nebraska had Bo Polini in football.
Speaker 1: Yeah great callup.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it was like nine and three each year, eight and four, occasional seven and five, and I think they had one year. Did they have one year they went like ten and two?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had the one year where things were going really great and then and then that was that was the one year TCU finished fourth in the Big twelve. And everybody's like, Okay, this is the new normal. Now we got the coach and it's gonna be great every year.
Speaker 2: Nope, Nope. Also off to a terrible start is number six Houston Ken Palm's favorite team, who's now four and three after losing two of their three games out in Vegas in the NIL Tournament. They lost to number nine Alabama, who happened to be in the right place at the right time this time, and then overtime thriller who beat Notre Dame and then lost and overtime again to the San Diego State as Techs. The Cougar is sure fire defense has now proven incapable of getting stops down the stretch three times this year against Auburn, Alabama and the as Techs. Should people be concerned? And then also, why is San Diego State good at basketball? Year after year? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Isn't that interesting?
Speaker 2: It's so bizarre.
Speaker 1: They're always they're always a quality basketball team. That was one of the teams that randomly won a Allen Field House and I can't remember a single player on that team. And as you always say, I am a borderline on the spectrum with how I remember.
Speaker 2: All this, Dude, I gotta I just had. I just remembered something that I learned the other day of this is a really off topic thing about the as Techs, not the San Diego State as Techs, the actual as tex In the last battle, yes, yes, the last battle of the Aztec Empire, before they were firebombed by the conquistadors, they sent out a man on hallucinogenic drugs and they called him like the mothman or the monkey Man, his prime example. They were like, we're gonna lose, but we're sending out the monkey Man or whatever he's called. And he went out there tripping on acid and just started like screaming things in the middle of a battle, and he just got massacred by the conquistadors and that was like their last hope. I find that hilarious.
Speaker 1: That is a heck of a story history with Cam. I feel like you should you should find us a random fact like.
Speaker 2: That and I have tons of them show, it's just more or less where they come out. I'm not useful for things that matter. But if you want some random fact about the Aztec Empire the downfall of the Mayans, I have you.
Speaker 1: I think we need to put that in the show right after ranked teams to lose, since the last show, we'll have the cam's random ranked.
Speaker 2: Team to lose. The Aztec Empire.
Speaker 1: And they were a powerhouse for a while, like they were the wooden UCLA teams there for a little bit, and then just well, as as you said, they sent out the one dude and.
Speaker 2: It's gonna drive me nuts because I can't remember exactly what they called him, but it was essentially they got him really high. He ran around there like he's gonna save the day, and then he just got fire bombed and they they lost.
Speaker 1: That sounds like kind of how sports works in a nutshell. As for Houston, I am kind of concerned, not necessarily for these losses. They've lost two overtime games and they lost to a really good Auburn team who some people think is the best team in college basketball. Like that, that's a little bit of unluck. That's a little bit of bad luck in close games. But I am worried because we saw Houston lose the Big Twelve player of the year in Jamal Shad and they have a bunch of number twos. They really don't have that number one. L J. Cryer is in his fifth year and he's still not a guy who you can say is gonna step up and lead a team. Same with Juwan Roberts, same with a couple of other guys on that team. And then they pull was it otego away? Or they pulled the Oklahoma point guard from last year over and he's good. He's a number two like Houston's good. They're tough, they're gonna be a five seed, a four seed, they're gonna win double digit Big twelve games. But do they have the true ace that can go out there? And they're kind of like a baseball team that's pretty solid, that have a bunch of number two starters, But when you need to win a game seven, can the guy go against the Clayton Kershaw's or the aces of the staff? No? I think that's Houston for you. A lot of good guys, not any and not any cold hearted killer like the dude that killed ass text Lee. Oh, man, I'm gonna find that exact fact.
Speaker 2: But yeah, missing jabal Shed was a really really big big loss for the for the UH The Cougars BYU had their first loss in the again of Cougars. Yeah, b Y's first loss came in the Rady Children's Invitational. Whitch before you laugh? Is the Feast week tournament the Kansas will be playing in next year. The Cougar's lost to number twenty three old Miss Chris Beard and you guessed it over time before beating future Jahawk opponent in North Carolina State in the consolation game. Side note? Did you did you know that Mark Adams is on the Old Miss coaching staff?
Speaker 1: I did not, But man, does he feel like the second p in the pod with Chris Beard? Doesn't he?
Speaker 2: Domestic violence and racism Mississippi.
Speaker 1: You knew that things were weird when Texas Tech before the portal was full on portaling. You knew it was weird whenever Texas Tech has like a three seed top ten season and everyone's like, I can't wait to get the hell out of here.
Speaker 2: Oh I just remembered it. Sorry, it was the Owl Warrior of the Aztecs.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: They called them the owl Man, and they set him on top of the rooftops and then he got fire bombed and they lost.
Speaker 1: At the beginning of the end for the Aztecs, who their end sounds a lot like the Mayans. The Mayans is pretty sad as well, all these historic dynasties. Some are saying that it's the hardest fall for a dynasty up until the twenty twenties forty nine ers who are just a dumpster fire after always being the brides maid of ever being the bride. Yeah, b yu eh whatever, Like I don't really care about BYU. Like I know they're a big twelve team for some reason, but whatever.
Speaker 2: They are BYU.
Speaker 1: Arizona won the Acrosher Classic, which is different than the Acrosher Invitational, allegedly by beating Saint Oh Mary's. I was gonna ask Lanna to do it, but he's he's there. You go. You can be our honorary Land and I appreciate it. It is a real mystery how Gonzaga wins the WCC every year when their biggest competition can't even beat Arizona, who has a losing record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Caleb Love is horrible. I don't understand where the Do you think the whole preseason All American thing just came from his final four run. Yeah, it was that.
Speaker 1: It was he played great in the Duke game. And no, he's been He's been like objectively bad, not like bad by comparison to high expectations, but like b a d bad for a while.
Speaker 2: I've seen him airball multiple shots in games. He takes shots in a lot of them aren't within the flow of the offense, but a lot of them don't even come close. I mean, most times you see good players, they miss shots and you're like, ah, you know, that looks like it was going in, kind of like a Ryland Griffin. And he just flat out he's terrible.
Speaker 1: I mean, he did average eighteen points a game last year, and he had the best shooting percentage of his career. But there's a guy who's under forty percent from the floor in his career by a healthy chunk. He's a thirty seven percent career shoot or not three point shooter shooter from the floor, He's a thirty two percent three point shooter, which is bad good free throw shooter. He's a guy who in his career has almost as many turnovers as assists U that's not great. And yeah, he's not with the exception of well, coach Kibu say otherwise, with the exception of those games. Really hasn't been a clutch performer either.
Speaker 2: No, not really and uh kind of feel like if.
Speaker 1: He was in kind of feel like if he was in Houston, it'd be different because he's got a bunch of studs around him and then he could be the alpha guy that they need. Like instead, he doesn't have a lot of great supporting cast. And I mean Arizona is. Yeah, Arizona's been a powerhouse last few years in the Pac twelve. They've had seasons where they've only had four or five losses entering the NCAA tournament and now they have four entering December.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they feel like they're going to be a five seed or six seeds something like that.
Speaker 1: They got to win a lot of big twelve games two to get to that point right now. So here's a here's a wild take. If the season ended today, Yukon wouldn't be anywhere near the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 2: You're not actually that that's wild because they won back back titles, but based off of resume, that's not that crazy, like, who is Yukon's best win this year? I actually, off the top of my head don't know.
Speaker 1: Here are they are? Five wins Sacred Heart, New Hampshire, Lemoyne, East Texas, A and M and Maryland Eastern Shore. No, they would not be in the Insane Tournament.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, get there.
Speaker 1: But that's an insane list, an insane list. We wrapped the show last time right as their game against Dayton was tipping off. As we transition to other games, Yukon got last in the Maui tournament, which is I mean, I wonder you're a you're a sports scambler, guy. I wonder what the odds would have been if you could have gotten plus odds on Yukon going zero to three in Maui.
Speaker 2: Honestly, my guess would be somewhere in the realm of like plus fifteen hundred. Maybe, oh I.
Speaker 1: Would be It'd have to be more than that.
Speaker 2: They were.
Speaker 1: They were a jarn close to minus that. They were like a minus seven hundred money line in their first two games, and against Dayton they were a ten point favorite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just the whole Yukon stick drives. We have a wall. Dan Hurley's a clown. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Dan Hurley's takeaway after getting blown out by eighteen to Dayton in the last place MAWI game, which, if we're being honest, I thought that was a pretty easy bet to see coming. You think Yukon really gave two f's about the seventh place game, that was that felt like a really weird line for them to be a double digit favorite. And Dan Hurley's takeaway from that was, I'm never doing another three game Feast Week tournament again. I was just gonna try to get a lose a naughty word here, but loser works to Yeah, just what's He's the perfect villain for this sport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't even know, honestly, you tweeted this early on Rockshock blog. I don't know how much of that is him playing the villain role. I think he might just be a really annoying human being.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking that more and more. He definitely has. His ego has gotten inflated the more winning he's done, and he is what you call insufferable at this point.
Speaker 2: YEP, completely agree. Winning the Battle for Atlantis was Porter Moser's Oklahoma Sooners, which will be his main argument when his team is on the bubble, and he's on ESPN Bractology explaining why they deserve to make it. Y Oklahoma beat Providence, number twenty four Arizona and then out of nowhere Louisville and out of nowhere Louisville team to win the event. Louisville looked very good during that tournament, by the way they did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Louisville has started to rebound a little bit. It's amazing with getting Kenny Payne out of your program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yea, and Kenny Baines on staff.
Speaker 1: By the way, at Arkansas, that is true with Crazy Gas and that's not going great either.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: John Calipari's number nineteen Arkansas team got ninety hung on them by Illinois and Kansas City and they why was this game in Kansas City sort of matchup? They lost ninety to seventy seven. Is he kind of washed?
Speaker 2: I think I think he is. I said, like three weeks ago, I was like, you know what, he's gonna win a title within the next five years. I hope he wins five NCAA tournament games in the next five years. I don't know, like he's It's the same thing as Kentucky. They don't have great offensive sets, they can't play against the own defense, and it looks like a bunch of guys that are trying to play an NBA style of basketball kind of dribble drive, high ball, screen and then create their own shot and it just doesn't work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, starting to get real less miles of Kansas vibes out of this, Like, uh, I don't know, sexual assault, Yeah, hopefully with the SEC is a wagon too like that, there's you're gonna become roadkill pretty quickly if you can't hang there. And Bud Walton Arena is pretty good. They're gonna get some teams at home.
Speaker 2: But like, right now, okay, right now, how many losses does Arkansas have at the end of the season.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think it's I think it's double double digits. Yeah, I'm saying eleven is. I think they're gonna start slow. I think they're gonna have moments where it's really, really, really good.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think I think they're gonna struggle. Here's an ask RCB before we finish the rest of these other games, Cam, what do Chicago State, Arkansas Pine Bluff, and Mississippi Valley State have in common?
Speaker 2: Actually I know the answer to this, not because I looked at this earlier, just because I remember I remember reading something I think you sent in the group chat. They played Kansas State, I believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they've all been scheduled by Jerome Tang in twenty twenty four. Yeah, you are better and and Case State hung one hundred and twenty on Arkansas Pine Bluff today and they I think that they I think they made twenty one threes or something. You that game does nothing for you as a team. Nothing.
Speaker 2: I don't think it helps you that much in the net either, because that seems awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like that's whenever Bill self used to stay playing Missouri is a lose lose because we beat them and it doesn't do anything for us, or we lose to them and it kills our numbers. That cinniment is actually true about playing Arkansas Pine Bluff. You can beat them by forty and it's still like eh according to the computers. Yeah, I mean that's I don't even have I don't even know what to say to that atrocious Circling back to the Battle for Atlantis that Oklahoma won, and as you said, Providence number twenty four Arizona and Louisville. They won the event. Louisville finished second. West Virginia beat Arizona in overtime in a game between New Big twelve and Old Big twelve. Actually, no, that's like, that's like West Virginia can't be Old Big twelve because that means I'm old. If I remember the games before West Virginia two conference ponds, we had a couple of those Big twelve games. Iowa State played Colorado and Maui. West Virginia played Arizona Atlantis. Because all these fields were set before all the conference re alignment happened. The Mountaineers are a little better than we thought. They're in third place. Arizona gets fourth. The Wildcats finished the month of November three and four, including oh to four against Power league teams. Number three against Zaga predictably steamrolled helpless Mike Woodson's number fourteen Indiana team and Day and Davidson to get fifth. That puts Davidson in sixth. The Hoosier salvage the last place game versus Providence to finish seventh. Oh no, Mike Woodson on erwhelming again. That can't be the case.
Speaker 2: He is absolutely Mike Woodson is absolutely Kenny Payne with a slightly better basketball IQ.
Speaker 1: Little bigger build, a little bit more like mister potato Head and every and every bent as. Oh, Steve Harvey's a great comp We asked to name a good basketball coach Mike Woodson, Survey says, no, he's not on the list, but he's probably a nicer He's probably a nicer guy than Bobby Knight was.
Speaker 2: I would hope. So Bobby Knight was a horrible human being.
Speaker 1: Tell me about tell me about the ESPN Events Invitational.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ESPN Events Invitational, which definitely was not created by DEI Department Number eighteen. Florida obliterated the now fourteen field and the ESPN Events Invitational, blowing through Wake Forest and Witchdaw State by combining forty four points to win that coveted championship. I believe if you win that you get an all day passed to the Disney theme parks. And you can see that's for an overpriced cheeseburger four thousand dollars value if it's one day of tickets. There absolutely also, since you guys are so interested in the segment and this tournament, you will be very interested to know that the who won the aforementioned Rady's Children invitation.
Speaker 1: I'm so excited to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll finally end the suspenser. It was number third seen definitely hasn't lost to a sixteen seed team before Perdue who punched Chris Beard's wife Ole Miss team by two points to win the title.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that man punched his wife got fired only because they had it on video, and then got hired again like a handful of weeks. Well, Ryan, you know down south they call it a good old domestic settlement. Yeah, they can't always believer can't always believe her. Well, so that was argue our best call ever on itp myself, Landon and Nick said, watch Chris Beard be hired by some school like Liberty, and guess what happened by Liberty? A few weeks later they hired Chris Beard, and now Chris Beard is at all Miss, which he fits right in there. Winning the Player's Era Nil tournament was Oregon. It feels like every other year we alternate. Oregon either comes out of the gates unexpectedly hot or they catch fire as a twelve seed and win NCAA tournament games. This is we're early in the year. They are eight to o after beating number nine Alabama, eighty three, eighty one and a thriller. I think Oregon has a top ten argument. In the next AP poll, finishing third out, there was San Diego State after upsetting Houston, number twenty. Texas A and M finishes fifth. Rutgers got sixth number twenty one. Creighton ended their horrible week by getting seventh and dumping Notre Dame into last place.
Speaker 2: Notre Dame is horrible, always have been. In the rock Shock blog, why would you schedule this game of the week? Number fifteen, Wisconsin decided to really challenge themselves by scheduling oh to nine Chicago State. They only won by nineteen points and filled the cover, meaning that by law this will be counted as a loss. I also drove, I should be. I drove by Chicago State, by the way, a few days ago, and I, if I remember correctly, it's only a couple of buildings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's small, and that doesn't make a lot of sense because Chicago State feels like so big, decent, right, Yeah, Like, how is that team so not good? They're they're buns all the time. They've been a laughing stock since we started the show. Yeah, they're terrible. Yeah, you could play, probably could.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, why not?
Speaker 1: All right, Well I've seen videos off you shooting freezos. That's a good start.
Speaker 2: You get me a wide open with nobody charging at me, I'll probably make one out of every six.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean Nick thinks we could beat a mid level high school girls team.
Speaker 2: I still just disagree with that take. Yeah, there was no.
Speaker 1: Way we would get boat raced because they are conditioned athletes that run plays and we are a bunch of.
Speaker 2: Not that I concur are odd.
Speaker 1: Get better with you on the team because you are the best basketball player of everybody, of anyone that's ever been on inside the paint. But you gotta carry the rest of us like you can be. You can be, you can be the Gerald Vic all you want, like the rest of us are Charlie Four's.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not exactly an elite at creating my own jump shot, so we would be firebombed. Ah, but if your mom doesn't yell at Bill self in the locker room because you're not playing enough, you may have a better pace. Oh yeah, that definitely did. That was that was the moment that it.
Speaker 2: Broke he uh. He actually played the role of Snoopy because he was in Snoopy's doghouse in the Charlie Browncris movie that year.
Speaker 1: Sure did. And let me tell you, it was an amazing time to be alive to about this point in that season when THEA. Gerald Vick was the best player in college basketball. He was amazing for a few weeks there.
Speaker 2: It was un I went to the game I think it was when Kansas played Nova. He has Kansas Villanova when I think it was like three Jayhawks accounted for like seventy of their seventy some points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was Dotson Vic and Dedrick Glass and that did like all the yeah, and I was like, yeah, it might be red flag, but we'll just keep riding it out. You go back and watch those highlights and some of the shots that gerald Vick made are truly unbelievable. They are NBA type shots. Oh yeah, And I mean that that dude could play, and he just he could not keep his head on straight. He had a bunch of distractions going on at home and it just didn't work. But we saw how good Kansas was after he left. So it's a shame. It didn't ranked teams to lose since the last time we did a podcast. Number six Houston lost in overtime to the Aztecs, but not the one that, uh not the not the crazy.
Speaker 2: Oll Yeah the albul Man. Number nine Alabama lost to Oregon.
Speaker 1: Not concerned about Alabama, by the way, they have two teams the two losses, two very very very good basketball teams. They're going to be just fine. Kudos to Nate Oates for scheduling tough. Number fourteen Indiana not as convinced there as well. Coach lost to Gonzaga. Number nineteen Arkansas, continuing on the trend of terrible coaching, loss to the I think Number twenty three Old miss has a decent coach, He's just a bad man. Lost to Purdue.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Number twenty four Arizona and the fucking Caleb Loves lost to Oklahoma and West Virginia. You should be kicked out of basketball after that week.
Speaker 1: That would be old Big twelve a new Big twelve. I guess. Number twenty five Mississippi State lost to your man Tad Mada's Butler team.
Speaker 2: Oh man, Oh, I remember thad Mada. I also think he had a better week than his prior stop or weekend. Yeah, being Ohio state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Thad Mada is not as unlike Ryan Day.
Speaker 2: Who is ass he sure is?
Speaker 1: All right, let's do ask RCB. We have a few questions here. Let's take a look at all of those great questions, and we're gonna start with one from at Ryan Underscore Landrath because you know you got to start with the best. Uh, here we go, Oh, Brian Underscore Landrath wants to know two questions. Number one, this is really hilarious for you. What is your WiFi password?
Speaker 2: Hmmm, well, I'd like to say something space unibamer owl man.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a good Wi Fi password. I'm a little not convinced you're telling the truth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I don't have Wi Fi.
Speaker 1: You currently don't. All right, it's probably just gonna be a bunch of gibbers at that point. So my WiFi password. In two thousand and nineteen, whenever my girlfriend at the time now wife, and I moved in together, we had a bunch of family members. I'm just gonna rip the band aid off and get fireside with you here without saying this has nothing to do with my political opinions. We had a bunch of people in our family that despise Donald Trump, as a lot of people's families do. So I decided to make our Wi Fi password Trump twenty twenty because I wanted everybody to type that in whenever they wanted to get on the Wi Fi. How'd that go? Over? It? It went? It was hilarious. I am a troll. I am out for trouble. So I got exactly what I wanted out of it. Then you know, we rolled it back. We ran it back to Trump twenty twenty four, because you gotta change it, you gotta update it. And so now I think that that's coming on. I think I'm going to change it to Jadvance twenty twenty eight and just see what they say.
Speaker 2: I might actually make my WiFi password something like a cryptic message like help me, and just see if like or make my WiFi network that so like the people in my apartment like see it and they're like, oh no.
Speaker 1: Make it yeah, help me? Or FBI Child Protection Services, yeah van or something not an FBI agent that you have that you have the keys are in your hands, or we'll see what that's terrified. And the second one, if you took the ugliest woman in the world, which wow, can you imagine what the ugliest woman on earth must look like?
Speaker 2: I have so many jokes I want to say, but I can't say them.
Speaker 1: There it's gotta be really bad. And but you took that woman and you gave her a tattoo sleeve, what percentile would that woman now be in from an attractive perspective?
Speaker 2: I think it's like a Morgantown, West Virginia, like five out of ten.
Speaker 1: Well no, but after the tattoo sleeves or not before? Oh yeah, well that's just a normal Morgantown woman exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think it helps at all.
Speaker 1: I think it's just like a someone that's going to be on intervention for meth like the show Wow, okay, see, I think I think it gets you from zero point zero till like fifteen. Right, it's got a vault you pass like okay, what like without turning this into a locker room talk show, I asked my wife, what what percentage of men do you consider attractive? And she said like thirty And I said, see, I think most men would say that their number for women is much higher than that, Like I would say, like, yeah, maybe higher it might be like sixty percent of women I could find something attractive about, right, it might even be higher than that.
Speaker 2: That's fair. Yeah, I mean most guys. Yeah, guys are dumb.
Speaker 1: We're like a fifteen percent tile in women just because they have a tattoo sleep which, yes, I'm carrying the I'm carrying Nick's lack of tattoo appreciation here on this show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fair. I don't really care, to be honest, like, I don't know, It's not really a defining choice for me.
Speaker 1: It's interesting that you don't think it moves the needle at all. You think if you took it. And conversely, if I told you that the ugliest woman in the world had a tattoo sleeve and got it removed, you also wouldn't raise her from that spot. You just think it really doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: No, I don't really care.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just I think it vaults you passed. However, many women have very ugly like face tattoos, right, Oh yeah, but that's that's a different category. So it moves you up a little bit if you like, you have to get maybe a little bit. Who were passing in this scenario. I don't know. Why it's it's it's interesting, it's completely worthless, which is the questions I'm best at.
Speaker 2: It's like putting gold rims on a two thousand and four Honda Cord.
Speaker 1: Hey, don't hate on those nights. At least you didn't say nineteen ninety seven Honda Cord. Yeah. Still drive those back, Yeah, and will until the engine with a third of a million miles on it falls out of the bottom of it.
Speaker 2: Let's say, let it rip.
Speaker 1: And you know, I'm glad that I If you had a Honda Cord from the nineties, considering where you're currently living, the catalytic converter would be swiped out within your first three days of sleeping in your new house.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, no, I uh yeah, pretty much.
Speaker 1: I hope you have a very good parking garage, sir, h don't have one, well, then in that case, may the odds be in your favor. Let's go on to a very normal question after a very not normal question at Bentley Hunt fifteen. Just simply asks who is your favorite Kansas basketball player of all time time.
Speaker 2: I'll let you answer that first.
Speaker 1: Actually, my answer is Frank Mason. I am I am so from my age, I'm twenty nine. I really started watching Kansas basketball the last year the Roy Williams era when I was seven years old, when that team lost to Syracuse in the finals. So like that, the Kirk Heinrich, Wayne Simeon, Nick Collison era is right at the beginning of my fandom. The first Jayhawk I remember following from the beginning to the end of his career was that Russell Robinson's senior class. Mario Chalmers was a junior, Darrell Arthur was a sophomore. Kind of that area. Loved Searon Collins, loved Andrew Wiggins, loved Frank Mason. I think it's got and Devonte Graham's in there. Those aren't Those aren't super interesting answers. I'll say Hunter Dickinson just because it tipped off people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean my answer was actually Frank Bason. I will say Devonte Graham too. I just think he's fun to watch. Great those two.
Speaker 1: The fact that those two played together just makes it even better. And yes, great dude loved Kansas. Both those guys were under dog stories. I think that just makes it even better. At Alex Fisher ku is the Ohio State. Oh, good question for you, Cam here is Ohio State. The football comparison to Duke basketball, that's pretty good. That's really good. Actually talk about that. We talked about how Ryan Dave's John Shire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, honestly, the comparison's pretty good because you have a team that's very talented. They haven't won a title since wasn't it was twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: I think it was the Zeke Elliott team that was the fourth of four playoff teams that set AJ mccaron and yeah, yeah, yeah they beat Oregon and right they beat Oregon in the finals. I think, yeah, I was, I was talking Duke to I think it was twenty fifteen when they beat Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: Does that sound right?
Speaker 1: And they they got lucky to say the least that they didn't have to deal with Kentucky in the finals.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think that's a great comparison. I'm trying to think of anyone else that has tons of tank. I guess you could say Bill Sooff before uh maybe before the second title. I don't know, like that's kind of maybe a good comparison.
Speaker 1: Actually, actually I think that's pretty good. Yeah, now that Bill's got to I think Duke was It's fine. It's a great also asks what college football team would be the Kansas basketball comparison. I mean they they feel like like and Yukon is Georgia because they've come out of nowhere to win back to back titles. I think that Kentucky feels a little bit more like Alabama team that was great. Now they've really started to fade a little bit. And Kansas, I mean, Kansas won more games than anybody, like. I'm not counting Gonzaga, by the way, I don't count those teams they beat Kansas of the Power League teams. So I guess the answer there is I.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say Michigan, but Michigan only won one title and it was also tainted a legendly.
Speaker 1: Honestly, Ohio State might be the closest.
Speaker 2: I think it is. Ohio State.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like plenty of success, They're always in the top five, and more often than not, they have stunning season ending, deflating losses. Complete Yep, that sadly, that is correct. I think that that guy shank in the fifty yard game winning field goal, the worst kick in the history of game winning kicks a couple of years ago. Yeah, that's that feels like something Kansas basketball would do in the Ely eight.
Speaker 2: And then they win. They win a title that year as well if they if that field goal goes in, because that was against TCU the next game, and Ohio State was not losing a TCU.
Speaker 1: No, and Georgia most certainly did not lose the TCU. They only beat him my sixty at. Dick Underscore Taser says, do you guys believe that shoe size matters when the foot face flagrant happened? Missus Taser says, man, Hunter Dickinson has a massive shoe size that has to be bigger than yours. And I responded with a weird look anyway, you fella willing to disclose your hem shoe sizes for the man? Well, you can always count on Dick Underscore Taser to talk about well that yes, Hunter Dickinson also doesn't leave any doubt he tells us how well and doubt he does freeze.
Speaker 2: Oh man, I think, uh the Wayne Kerr is the definition of a good burner account because we'll never know what he looks like. We don't need to know. We just know he's known as uh Dick Underscore Taser.
Speaker 1: And if we had rafters in the it CP studios, and we hoisted the names of the best question askers. Dick Tayser would be definitely up there. They also, you listen to the show, so you remember none of us put two and two together on his name being Dick or Wayne Kerr for a while.
Speaker 2: That's hilarious. I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think if his name had been Wayne underscore Cerr, I would have. But I read his Dick Taser name more than his just Twitter actual name, which is Wayne cur. I So shoe size wise, I like whenever, Like if we're just talking shoes, I like shoes that fit loose, So I always go up to like an eleven or a twelve. I like it, like like, I like there being more room. I'm probably a size ten. I'm also five eight, so I feel like that's pretty proportionate to my height to be about a size ten and shoe size. But I don't have huge feet. I also don't have teeny feet.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. I have clown feet.
Speaker 1: So I'm like five foot ten and I have size eleven and a half.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's technically eleven. But shoe sizes are so weird because Nike runs small, right, I don't know it's ten and a half to eleven and a half somewhere in that range.
Speaker 1: But we do know that Hunter Dickinson has enormous size feet and Wayne Kerr says that he's a size thirteen. So just good for you. Actually, kudos to Wayne Kerr for having having big feet, but not as big as Hunters. He is the North Carolina logo at Elliott ruson age one, hoping I'm not too late. No, sir, you're a good question here. Of any successful freshman centers of the last ten years in college basketball? Is there a name that Flori but Doomgat reminds you most.
Speaker 2: Closely of, oh, of anyone in college basketball? Yeah, man, Ryan's gonna have a better answer on this than me.
Speaker 1: And I thought, I've thought about this for a while, and I just genuinely answer, he's a athletic, he's a stat box.
Speaker 2: Score so DeAndre Ayton, I don't know. That's That's the only one I can think of, and it's not a good comparison.
Speaker 1: The first name I thought of was Bam out of Bio who he was a better defensive player than Flora is. But I think Flori can do a little bit more at this point in his career than Bam could, and obviously out of Bio's turned into a very very good center in the NBA. He can do a lot of things outside the lane, uh, just as much as he does at the basket. So I think that's probably the name I'd go with. They play similar styles. If he turns into DeAndre eight and then Kansas is in very until they play Buffalo. That's a nick White.
Speaker 2: That one, honestly the only name I could think of.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Arizona being underwhelming, the DeAndre eighton team didn't win a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Sean Miller sweated through five shirts?
Speaker 1: Correct yep? At show me Hawk. Why isn't the Border War in football a Week fourteen game? Why is it instead on September September Week two game? Missoo, Arkansas isn't flashed enough to be a matchup on rivalry week. I agree, but you're never gonna see Week fourteen be a game between two teams that aren't in the same conference. It took Texas and Texas A and M becoming rivals again in the same league to get that game into Week fourteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I would love it.
Speaker 1: It would be an awesome, awesome game, And you're right, it's not gonna feel quite the same at Arrowhead. I guess it's not an Arrowhead. It's not gonna feel the same on the second week of the second Saturday of the year.
Speaker 2: No, it will still be fun, but now it won't be it won't be that special.
Speaker 1: Another one from show Me Hawk says this k football season was certainly one of a kind. They started one to five, four losses being by one score, one, four or five, including three rank wins, and then they got raked over the coals by Baylor.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That Baylor game I thought was decently easy to see coming. I didn't think they get blown out in it. But it's just so hard whenever you bring the intensity three times in a row against good teams as an underdog, it is so so so hard to keep that intensity up week after week. They just flat out let it down. I didn't think it was a coaching disaster against Baylor. I just thought that was a team running out of gas one week early.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. I mean you could see it too, right off the jump missfield goal after a pretty good drive. It was just not meant to me.
Speaker 1: Just a really disappointing year though, because obviously this is the biggest Kansas is probably the biggest what if team in college football this year, they could have been.
Speaker 2: A playoff team.
Speaker 1: A couple of results go differently, they could have been a playoff team. That's disappointing at Kate Eden fourteen. Will Kansas be an underdog the rest of the year in every game?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Man or sorry? Will Kansas ever be an underdog? Meaning will they be favored in everything? Yeah?
Speaker 2: They will again. I think on at Houston at Houston, yeah, I would say maybe, I would say it might be pick him.
Speaker 1: Honestly, Yeah, the answer is probably. I don't have a certain game to bet on, but uh, they were an underdog against Duke and Bill self as an underdog is super sexy to get basically free money most of the time. As Cam found out, I told you that you should that you should parlay that with Houston losing one. And now the next time I give you gambling tip, you're bet on when I'm like pound the chiefs Man double favor. But this time it'll be different.
Speaker 2: It won't Yeah, and they'll lose or win by one point.
Speaker 1: When the other team decides to intentionally throw an interception in the final ten seconds. Yep, at show Mehawk. If Kansas got invited to the Big Ten, but we had to take three other schools from the Big twelve, or not even from the Big twelve, just three other schools. Who would you want? As they bring North Carolina, Iowa State, and Louisville. So we're just free forming picking teams. Okay, joining the Big ten if you could take one Big ten, if you take one Big twelve team that fits in the Big Ten, it is Iowa State.
Speaker 2: I think Houston would be a good Big ten team because Big Ten games sock in Houston scores like sixty points a game typically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we could, we could mix that up a little bit. I tell you what can can we take? Can I take an extra team and throw Iowa into the ocean?
Speaker 2: Yeah that's fine, No, I mean Iowa.
Speaker 1: Like replacing Houston with Iowa feels like an upgrade in every way?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Good, yeah, in every way?
Speaker 1: Not even Just one more question here, and it's a good one. At Rock Chalk eighty four, a Sonic Blockbuster? What do you order at Sonic?
Speaker 2: Nothing? I don't go to Sonic.
Speaker 1: Really, Okay, Sonics in Chicago.
Speaker 2: I feel like there are there are. I don't eat tons of fast food, and then I just we did. You don't really have those in Michigans, so I never really stopped there. I mean we have a few, but not tons Sonic. I did get grilled cheese.
Speaker 1: Though the grilled cheeses are good. Sonic has a deeper than you'd think menu. I actually think that the hamburgers at Waterburger taste a lot like Sonic. They're just they're worse at Waterburger. For my two cents, the Sonic pretzel twist is really good. Uh and addy drink like you get any slush you throw some nerds aid, Yeah, that's the order. It's a it's a strawberry limeaid or a strawberry lemon slush with some nerds and a pretzel twist. Burgers are pretty good. Don't like what they did with their fries. Pretty disappointing. Also, I live about a minute from a Sonic and I have not been to Sonic in weeks, if not months, fair take. But the next time I'm there, I'll yell Sonic Blockbuster into the end of the speaker and see what it gets me. I avoid that place, picking up DoorDash orders from there too, because it is always slow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean if you if you yell Sonic Blockbuster three times, fran Frascilla will appear on a encyclopedia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he'll talk about how much Hunter Dickinson should have been ejected. If you ever have asked GARCBS, use the Twitter hashtag asscarcb BEE. Don't think this game will earn the Blockbuster tab, but it's not due to Kansas's fault. Number one Kansas at unranked Creighton on Wednesday, December fourth at seven thirty pm. This game is on FS one, which Fox has the ugliest college football scoreboard on Earth, so hopefully basketball one is not as bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The Creighton Blue Jays have been one of college basketball's most disappointing teams this year. They're five and three overall, and they have losses against Nebraska. I don't know how you do that, San Diego State, and Texas A and M. Their best win is Notre Dame, which should not count.
Speaker 1: Injuries have been a huge factor in this five and three record, but Creighton expects to of course, have all hands on deck for the Jayhawks. They are anchored by ninth year senior Ryan Kalchbrenner, who is their seven to one center that averages eighteen and nine. His game is really similar to Hunter Dickinson's, but he's a little better shot blocker. He averages more than three blocks per game. Isaac Trout Trot Trot, Trout Trot, something like that, and Jackson mc andrew, two White Guy of the Game candidates, share four man minutes.
Speaker 2: Mick andrews, it sounds like a terrible happy meal. Look. It looks like Creton point guard Stephen Ashworth would be lost for a while with an ankle injury earlier this year, but he wound up being okay, returning last weekend, putting up sixteen points and six assists. Back on the floor, he is the team's best shooter at forty one percent. From three old Texas Tech friend and potential allegedly alleged offender, Pop Isaacs plays the two guard and adds fifteen and four. Jamia Neil is the aj store like wing who gets ten and five. All of Creton's guards are very good passers.
Speaker 1: My analysis on Creighton is they're kind of similar to Kansas, Dickinson and Kalkburner overall, pretty similar. Their four man is more your athletic not your bruising body type four man. The wings are all about the same statistically. They all shoot a lot of threes. They all are pretty good passers. Just think of Kansas if they intentionally tried to shoot more threes, and we'll talk about how that's kind of Creighton's downfall. The Blue Jays have fallen all the way down to number fifty on Ken Palm. They were a Final four sneaky pick at season's beginning, and they're really struggling. Their percentages on two pointers are elite because Kalkberner is one of the best players in the country, but they've taken way more threes than twos this year. They're only shooting thirty one percent as a team from deep, which is a dreadful shot selection. They also turn it over way too much for a team that has this level of backcourt talent. Defense has been a problem in all ways. However, the strengths they're a great passing team, they don't foul much, and they look to finally be getting healthy. I think this is a very dangerous basketball team who can undo a lot of their early season woes by getting a win on Wednesday night, so they should be fired up and ready to go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kansas will definitely get their best shot. Kansas and Creyton have only played twice in the last fifty years, the twenty twenty one point win at Allen Fieldhouse and the twenty twenty two second round escape in Fort Worth, Thank you, Remy Martin. According to the Creighton Media Guide, the first matchup between these teams took place in nineteen twenty three, which is around the time Ryan kylch Brenner was born, and the final score was twenty nine to seven. Very Houston esque.
Speaker 1: Jeez.
Speaker 2: Kansas hasn't lost to Creighton since nineteen forty nine, and they haven't played in Omaha since nineteen fifty one.
Speaker 1: So the last time that Kansas lost to Creighton, Harry S. Sherman was the president. It's been a very long time since he was around. Wow. All right, So my analysis on this game, I think this is a really, really tough one. Landon says, Kansas wins by five. This is going to be a loud atmosphere. Omaha is pretty close to Lawrence, It's only three hour drive, so I think you'll see some Kansas fans there. But Overall, this is a get our season back on track sort of game for the Blue Jays. Haven't seen enough from them defensively to pick them to win this game, but I do believe it's going to be a battle down to the final shot. Kansas needs to make threes or they are in trouble because you expect Creighton to make some of the threes they haven't made to this point in the year. I will reluctantly go with Kansas escaping seventy eight to seventy three in a game that they need every one of the forty minutes to escape. I think Hunter Dickinson is the difference. I look for kJ Adams take a little bit of a step back and for Hunter to lead Kansas to a win. Give me twenty and thirteen for Hunter. Kansas wins by a couple of buckets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that take. I'm going to go on a similar note. I think Kansas wins a tight game seventy nine to seventy six. Really the first true road test for Kansas. I kind of expect a little bit of a slow start. Creighton will be coming at coming out at Kansas guns blazing, and every team does that, but especially for Creighton in this spot, so yeah, I expect a close game. Kansas wins by a three pointer.
Speaker 1: All right, let's pick some other games. This is a fantastic week of college basketball games. All of these rankings were recording on Sunday night, so it's all going to shift dramatically. But this is the Big ten, Big twelve. I think is that it No, it's Big ten and ACC battle or is it ACC and SEC. I don't know. It's it's all the challenges this week or whatever. So these games are good. Number sixteen Cincinnati at Villanova Kyle Neptune squad has not been good. But how about this, I'll pick them to hand since Ana. Wow, I cannot do that myself. I think Villanova is terrible. Give me Cincinnati, fair take it's it's more of a shot in the dark. But yeah, Villanova has not been good at all. Number nineteen Arkansas at Miami John Kelli Perry squad maybe playing to avoid falling out of the top twenty five, and I say they get it done on the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Miami's had a really tough start of the season. Not a very good team for Jim Lernega. Give me Arkansas landon is going with the Hurricanes, though we'll see what happens. That's gonna be lost.
Speaker 1: Landon also go with the upset here number eight, Kentucky at Clemson and the sec ACC Challenge. Yeah, it's a lot of environment. I'll take Kentucky on the road and feel pretty good about it. Wow, Lanta might be right, but I don't think so. Gimme Kentucky number seventeen. Baylor at number two and about to fall like a rock. They may be unranked in this next poll, they should be if we're being honest. Their best win we just read it earlier. Baylor at Yukon, what do you think rematch of the last two teams that have won a national championship. I will say Yukon gets a quality dub.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I don't think Yukon can lose four in a row. Three is pretty crazy.
Speaker 1: Hey, they beat Maryland East Shore or something like that today.
Speaker 2: All they did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, well either way, three of the last four. They're not gonna lose four of five. Give me Yukon. Landon thinks Baylor goes into Yukon and wins. He's been the most down on Yukon of all of us. This would be a great If Yukon win loses this game, then I think it's very fair to just say they just may not be that good. I'm gonna say what happened in Mali. I don't think they're a good as number two team in the country, but I'm gonna say what happens in Mali, just weird stuff happens. They also lost those two games in the first two games Todays by a combined three points like those easily could have been wins. So yeah, absolutely, I'll trust them to get back on track. Virginia at number eighteen and soon to go up a lot. Florida. I think we all want the Gators.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Number nine Alabama at number twelve. North Carolina, Oh man, oh my goodness. I will say NATO's team wins on the road. I think they're a top five team.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna actually put my play the music. I'm gonna put my faith in Hubert Davis. Give me Carolina.
Speaker 1: That'll make you feel good. That's a great matchup, by the way, it should be a lot of points in that game. Number ten Marquette at number five Iowa State Wednesday night is a barn burner Fest for these games. I'm glad they're all being played the same day. Great planning. We have Kansas and Creighton, Marquette, Iowa State, Alabama, UNC, and Auburn Duke all playing between six and eight on Wednesday. Who schedules this awful? I will say Iowa State blows out Marquet at Hilton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I aloways Stay wins at Hilton for sure.
Speaker 1: Number four Auburn at number eleven, Duke, what a game that is? Is this the spot where Auburn takes their first loss?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I will take Auburn.
Speaker 1: See, I think Duke wins, and I think Auburn is going to I think Auburn's already peaked a little bit. But I mean this feels like the spot for Duke. If they can't win this game, then we're gonna have the same questions with Shyer about then who can they close out games against? They have to get it done. And number twenty two Xavier going on the road and playing TCU on Thursday night. Sneaky little trap game here. I'll go with the horn Frogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll put my faith in Jamie Dixon.
Speaker 1: Well, you're putting your faith in Jamie Dixon and Hubert Davis in the same week. What could go Yeah, absolutely nothing could go wrong in that spot. So our next show will come out later in the week. And you know who the next opponent is already, don't you. Of course you do. Going to Columbia after this, Kansas just going right through some of the most forgettable cities in the Midwest, Omaha, Columbia. They may as well play a game in the middle of Des Moines, Iowa, and just go ahead and.
Speaker 2: Des Moines a lovely place.
Speaker 1: No, it's I was gonna say it's actually, but I wound up just saying it's ass. So either one works. Yeah, there's not a lot out there. I've been there. It happens. This is inside the paint on Rock Chuck Blog.
Speaker 2: I'm Ryan Landrath, I'm cam Lipole.
Speaker 1: We'll be back, hopefully with with Landon on the next show to talk about Kansas getting white brigaded by Creighton. Will be fun.