Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app, Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio App. Officials from the US and China are agreeing for a call to take place between President Biden and Shi Jinping. Call will be part of efforts to smooth the relationship between the two countries. What does that call sound like, my lord? Agreement comes from a meeting held today in Beijing between the NSA and a top Chinese official. They agreed Biden and she agreed in November to have increased communications between the two sides.
Speaker 2: A young boy accidentally smashed a jar while on a visit to a museum in Israel. This jar dated back to the Bronze Age, sometime between twenty two hundred and fifteen hundred BC. It had been on display at the Hecked Museum in Haifa for thirty five years for a four year old's grubby little hands took it down. It was on display right near the entrance to the museum without any sort of glass surround because museum administrators believe that there is a special charm in displaying archaeological finds without obstructions. Maybe next time we display it without four year olds. Also, yeah, they're killing those owls. Man which owl number the owls?
Speaker 1: The plan to kill all the owls so that the other owls can thrive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, now it's official.
Speaker 1: Wildlife officials next year will scale up efforts to kill invasive barred owls that are crowding out the native owls from the West coast forests.
Speaker 3: They've approved a.
Speaker 1: Thirty year plan to kill up to four hundred and fifty two thousand barred owls in Oregon, California, and Washington State. I say the killings are meant to relieve pressure on declining populations of spotted owls, which are smaller need larger territories to survive.
Speaker 3: That's off.
Speaker 1: I I almost wanted John and Ken this story and go out there with bullhorns and things and just yell at these people for killing the barred owls.
Speaker 3: Isn't there a way?
Speaker 1: Is there a barred owl relocation program you can engage in or something You're just gonna go, how are you gonna kill him?
Speaker 3: Are you shoot them? Are you gonna poison them? Something tells me this is not just about the barred owls. It's about the owls.
Speaker 1: You're just gonna wipe out all the four hundred and fifty two thousand owls for the other owls.
Speaker 3: Feels like something else is going on here. No, not really, Okay.
Speaker 1: Maybe nothing else is going on, and that's why I'm focused on the owls a lot of Maybe it's time to go get an arts and crafts project from Michael's.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's time for It's time for swamp watch.
Speaker 4: Swamp is horrible.
Speaker 2: The government make it's like a reality TV shoot bado always a pleasure to be in.
Speaker 3: Where in Washington, DC?
Speaker 5: Hey, Joe, a town hall too, clearly built on a swamp in so many ways, still a swamp.
Speaker 6: I have a bunch of malwarkey.
Speaker 7: W he said, drain the swamp. I said, Oh, that's so I'll.
Speaker 1: Keep you, you know the the sixty nine days until election day, former President Trump Jade Vance holding events in swing states this week. He's going to hold a town hall in Wisconsin tomorrow, speak at a rally in Pennsylvania Friday. Vance is set to speak at rallies in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin today. Kamala Harris and Tim Walls kick off their bus tour in Georgia later this afternoon. They've got a rally in Savannah tomorrow, and then tomorrow night is when they are going to do their big first interview together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're going to do it on CNN.
Speaker 2: Dana Bash is going to interview them in Savannah, Georgia. Some criticism of it includes the idea that, well, maybe they.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't do it together. This is not a good idea.
Speaker 2: Scott Jennings is a Republican conservative commentator on CNN who said, this is not going to be a good look for the Democrats.
Speaker 7: I think it's I.
Speaker 8: Have great confidence in Dana and CNN to do this. I think it's incredibly weak, weak sauce to show up with your running mate, the fact that they don't have enough confidence in her to let her sit herself the actual top of the ticket and do a single interview. In fact, I think the hand ringing and the gyrations over this over the last month show a troubling lack of confidence in her political ability, which also makes you wonder, as a voter, well, what kind of president would you be if this kind of.
Speaker 7: A small time decision?
Speaker 8: Can we do an interview or not what does that look like for your decision making process?
Speaker 9: So on.
Speaker 8: So yes, I think Republicans are going to think it's pretty weak to show up with effectively someone to take up half the time.
Speaker 2: And we've heard from people who say they do want to see them together because they want to see how the two of them interact if they're going to be in the two most important jobs in the American government, and and other people said that we'd rather see her alone because it gives it's, if nothing else, it's a high pressure situation.
Speaker 3: How does she do under a high pressure situation.
Speaker 1: I think they're going to tag team a lot of these questions. I don't know how you can't, right, I mean, he's not going to go there just to sit in silence.
Speaker 2: Unless Dana Bash says this is a question specifically for the for the vice president, that she should do that, and then say something, OK, okay, Governor Walls, now this question is specifically for you or something like that to delineate.
Speaker 3: Is it gonna be taped or live? I think it's gonna be taped. It better not be.
Speaker 2: I think we've I think we've established that these things need to either be live or they need to be aired in their entirety, y saw with with Biden and George Stephanoppolis.
Speaker 1: But they will say probably something like how do they get around it edited for for time or what have you. But again, do you think CNN would edit, would like cut out something embarrassing with it if there was.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they have.
Speaker 2: But that's why I think they would do it live, just for the to make sure that there's no appearance of impropriety, just to be on the up and up. There were a couple of articles also today, one opinion piece in Politico and then one also in the La Times that Kamala Harris has surpassed Gavin Newsom and the governor is not happy. That was the La Times headline, the one in Politico why Gavin Newsom lost star surrogate status under Kamala Harris.
Speaker 3: They've been friends.
Speaker 2: You've heard Gaven Newsom refer to their friendship before they even got into politics in San Francisco, and the you know, we're talking twenty five thirty years later. They meet on arguably the biggest political stage that they had both been on, which is the Democratic National Convention last week, and Newsom had a brief cameo role where he delivered the state's delegates to the vice president this ceremonial vote.
Speaker 3: It was a big deal.
Speaker 2: He did not look like he was happy, surrounded by California's Democratic political class there with Maxine Waters and not Diane Feinstein. Sorry Nancy Pelosi. I'm sure the ghost of Diane Einstein was somewhere around there. But then that was it. He had no other role at the convention.
Speaker 1: I heard that he turned it down.
Speaker 5: So the Monday night thing, yes, that they offered him the curtain raising position and he said, no, I've got to put my kid in a new school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Gavin Newsom does the parenting.
Speaker 2: It's the same thing about him saying he had to take his kid's trick or treaty.
Speaker 3: Yeah remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, using your children as a cover for your I mean, I know if I had kids, i'd do the same thing from time to time, Like if there's something I want to get out.
Speaker 3: Of, I'd be like, eh.
Speaker 1: I even toyed with the idea of when I started my next job, unfortunately, I mean not unfortunately, fortunately I haven't started my next job, but that I would bring a picture, a generic picture of some children and put it on my desk so that I could use my fictional children to get out of whatever I wanted to get out of or take off. Oh, I got to get my kid to a doctor's appointment on Tuesday at eleven am. I just had an idea that that would be nice to have that. But of course I'm kidding, and Gavin Newsom routinely uses his children as cover and it's just another level of grossness.
Speaker 2: The Politico article says Newsom's reduced role in the campaign has fueled parlor intrigue in Sacramento. Political insiders questioned the governor's status as a national surrogate and how his own potential future presidential ambitions could be affected by Harris's rise. Remember, right around the time of the debate between Trump and Biden, Gavin Newsom was going through Northeastern states stumping for Joe Biden. Remember he was an active open surrogate for Joe Biden. And once Kamala Harris gets to the top of the ticket, he's nowhere to be found.
Speaker 3: Which is a crazy, crazy thing to think of it.
Speaker 1: Well, you think in eight years, So let's say she wins, see he benefits from her losing. He benefits from a Trump presidency because then he can run against him in four years. I listen, I don't think he would make it out of the primary.
Speaker 2: It's unusual for a vice president to be elected. I mean, I think Georgie H. W. Bush was the only one we've seen in decades. But if she does win, I don't think she has a two term I don't think she's got two terms in her. You don't think that, Yeah, you don't think she'd run again. Well, I'm not saying she wouldn't run again. I'm just saying she wouldn't win.
Speaker 3: I see.
Speaker 2: But either way, he is still squeezed out. I think you're right. I mean he would be squeezed out.
Speaker 1: He squeezed out for eight years, no matter what you say. If she wins, seems like it, and that makes him sixty four in eight years, and in this new world where we elect eighty year olds, he still got runway.
Speaker 3: He's still got time to run. We got runway. One of the big deals.
Speaker 2: Also on the other side of the aisle is this superseding indictment that was filed against Donald Trump. We'll talk about that with ABC's Peter harr Alamos when we come back.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI am six.
Speaker 3: Forty bottom of the hour.
Speaker 2: We're going to be talking about this new report that came out that suggests that parenting can be stressful.
Speaker 1: The Surgeon General says that a huge percentage of parents can't function with all the stress. This Surgeon General is he's a little sensitive. This is like the third thing he's come out with, and I'll find the other ones. Just these general proclamations that we are largely in peril. Yeah, and I understand, I mean we are, we are perilous people.
Speaker 2: Well, it's one thing to acknowledge that parenting can be stressful.
Speaker 1: But for the surge in general to issue a proclamation about it.
Speaker 3: It's another thing to then go, oh, you are so right. I don't know what to do.
Speaker 2: It gives people, sometimes not everybody, but it gives people permission perhaps to kind.
Speaker 3: Of think they have a clinical problem. Yeah, yeah, and that's not the case.
Speaker 1: The shooter in the assassination attempt of former President Trump searched online for events of both Trump and Biden. Saw the Pennsylvania campaign rally where you opened fire last month as a target of opportunity this according to a senior FBI official today, They say that this guy did extensive research for an attack before the shooting, had looked at a number of events or targets. According to the Special Agent in charge of the Pittsburg Field Office, this is the latest in a series of briefings about that investigation.
Speaker 2: Well, Jack Smith is out with a take two on his indictment former President Trump for his efforts to overturn the twenty twenty election. Made some changes to accommodate the Supreme Court's ruling on presidential immunity, joining us to talk more about it. ABC's Peter Harralambo's the ABC News investigative reporter out of New York, and Peter, some of these changes were big, obviously noticeable, some of them a little bit more subtle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's exactly right, and thanks for having me, Gary and Chrenton. It seems as though Jack Smith had to go back to the drawing board in a way after the Supreme Court decision, trying to figure out a way to frame this case about a lot of Trump's conduct when he was president and make it so that it would not be construed as official acts that would have been protected by the Supreme Court's decision. So when we look at this new indictment, we see entire sections about Trump's relation and involvement with the Department of Gusice completely removed. It also adds kind of more subtle entries framing certain conduct as things that Trump did as a private citizen as a candidate for office, rather than as the president of the United States at the time. They're hoping that this new kind of repackaging of the allegations and it's really the same charges here will kind of allow them to withstand the Supreme Court scrutiny and go forward with this case. So it seems like it might take a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely, it's going to be delayed, delayed, delayed. The names left off of this indictment, that does not preclude charges from being filed in the future against them.
Speaker 4: That's right. It seems as though we're unlikely to see new charges come up in the next few months. There's a DOJ policy that generally recommends against adding new charges or making substance major moves in a case within sixty days of an election, but it's possible that months years from now, if this case proceeds, we could see even more changes, So that's that's still a possibility Friday.
Speaker 2: I understand this is a deadline that the judge set for both sides to come forward with suggestions what do we expect to see between now and then.
Speaker 4: So for now we're unlikely to see too much movement with the case. By Friday, we should see that ruling, that kind of plan from both parties where they lay out kind of the next steps for this case. An indictment is one thing. The other thing is kind of showing how this case can effectively move forward and go to trial. They have a hearing schedule tentatively for next Thursday, in which both parties will come to court, and it's also possible that we see some kind of arraignment, even though filing yesterday from Jack Smith's team suggested that Trump, as the defendant here, would likely waive his right to appear in person and an arraignment.
Speaker 3: All right, Peter, great stuff, Thank you, yeah, thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Troving you guys, Peter, har Alambus again, ABC News investigative reporter there in New York City. You mentioned that Vice President Harris and Tim Walls are going to be headed throughout rural Georgia over then couple of days as part of their campaign. The importance of Georgia cannot necessarily can't be understated.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of people are talking about it, how it's a high risk, high reward type of a trip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they said that returning to the trail after the convention to visit a state that many Democrats said was out of reach in recent months, which it was now. Biden won Georgia in twenty twenty, but barely. I think it was by two tenths of a percentage point. That of course prompted that call from President Trump to Governor Brian Kemp or it was the Secretary of State actually where he was asking for. You know, all he needs is eleven thousand votes to be shifted about two months until election day.
Speaker 3: So they are now in a race to try to make up for lost time.
Speaker 2: And the latest polls do show that Trump does still have a lead there in Georgia, but that the gap is closing since Biden left the race, and Harris's aes aides have argued that it's one of those states that has become more competitive with her at the top of the ticket, and they said it makes sense to spend some time there, to put in the work there, even though they need to make a serious play with competitive blue wall states that they're looking for in the mid Midwest as well.
Speaker 1: Would you like your jeopardy question today? Military bases for a thousand? John McCain was born on a US military base near a strategic waterway in this Latin American country.
Speaker 3: Ksand them up, See all right, coming up? And how old he was he when he was born?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was just born. Do you know how many weeks his mother was pregnant for? Did you come early?
Speaker 3: I don't know. You don't know that?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: I mean the part about how old he was when he was born is a lot easier than knowing.
Speaker 3: He was a pre Was he premie?
Speaker 9: You think?
Speaker 3: No, I don't know dotational period for John mckaye.
Speaker 10: You're the one that.
Speaker 7: Brought it up.
Speaker 1: You're like, do you know how old he was when he was born? I don't know how many it was?
Speaker 3: Zero?
Speaker 1: He was he was still growing in the stomach, not what he was born. Why are we fighting over this? So it's ridiculous conversation we've had in a while.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 3: Somebody needs a haircut? Look at you? Oh, I can do it right now.
Speaker 2: Really a couple of little clarification According to New York Times, there are a couple different places that I saw. But the New York Times says CNN is planning to tape that uh interview with Vice President Kamala Harrison, Governor Tim Walls and then air it tomorrow night.
Speaker 3: At six o'clock our time.
Speaker 2: So don't know if they're going to erit in it's entirety, or if they're going to edit it for length or time.
Speaker 3: Or foibles, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: But apparently CNN we'll be taping that joint appearance between the Vice President and her running Sometimes.
Speaker 1: I feel the ghost of Ken, not that he is no longer with us, but in this room, the work coast, the work ghost. When he used to do this all the time, he'd repeat odd words like John would say a word like foibles and he'd be like, follybles, I do it from time to time or the huh.
Speaker 3: It lives within me.
Speaker 10: When you know you're on fire as a co host, when you look who's here?
Speaker 1: So true, justin whan it's basically I'm not paying attention to what you just said.
Speaker 7: Good point, Gary.
Speaker 3: She just looks up from the computer. But I agree, what's going on with you.
Speaker 7: Oh man so much.
Speaker 10: I was going to ask you if you guys were okay with me talking about this, but now I'm just gonna okay, great, But I forgot. I was in there chatting in the control room and then Keanu was like, you can go in there now, and I was like, oh, is it like time time?
Speaker 7: And they were just like yeah, I go okay.
Speaker 10: I just want to give a quick PSA to everybody out there because I lost my dad a couple of weeks ago, and my dad did not have a trust. He had four accounts that were just in his name, and so I've now it's become my passion because I'm now on the other side of it. For probably about eight years, my parents had this plan of like my mom would say, Honey, I don't know where any of the bank accounts are, I don't know what bills we owe, I don't know anything. If something happens to you, I'm screwed. And my dad would say to her, don't worry, Justin will take care of it and I'll be one.
Speaker 3: That confidence he did.
Speaker 10: And I'll be honest, he was not wrong. And there have been moments that I have felt immense.
Speaker 7: Pride and.
Speaker 10: I want to say the word gratitude of just being given the opportunity to say, you know, to take care of them, because I firmly believe they did such an amazing job taking care of me there. But there's also been times where I'm angry at him because he kind of dumped it on me. It was the last conversation I had with him was he warned me about the kind of stuff and so I just, I just if you own and investments, if you own a house, I don't care. If you don't have kids, you need to have a trust because then at least that gives you the ability to donate the proceeds of the sale of your home to a charity rather than it just going to nothing, or your family having to hire an attorney to go through probate, like it's just a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Especially, I was going to say, especially if there is any sort of and I don't think there is with you, but I mean, if there is any sort of conflict you know of between the people, who would there was who would inherit, whatever you have it, if it's spelled out in the trust, there's no conflict, I mean basically hopefully, But if there is no trust, it can be the end of relationships, of lifelong family relationship.
Speaker 10: It has ruined the relationship with me and my brother as wow. Literally like twenty five hours after my dad was gone, my brother called me yelling at me about what I was going to do to take care of our mother, And forty eight hours after that we had a huge family fight where I called him a coward, I called him a piece of ass.
Speaker 1: If everyone's hurt right now, you're still in a fog, and so it just you have to be gentle like with yourself and everybody else. And I know you, and I know that you're super financially oriented and this is something for you to focus on, yes, but you know you also have to like feel all the things and live in that fog.
Speaker 7: And you don't get a chance to.
Speaker 3: It's awful.
Speaker 7: I beg my dad two years ago.
Speaker 10: I said, Dad, I need you to put everything in a trust, because he told me for years he had one, and then I found out four years ago he didn't. So I it literally for did a conversation I would have. He'd say, hey, sign, I go, hey, Dad, how are you? Did you get a trust yet? And you go no, but I'm working on it.
Speaker 3: Do you think he had one?
Speaker 7: Nope?
Speaker 3: Or he just wanted to listen.
Speaker 10: I've said many many wonderful things about my father on the show, and I continue to take.
Speaker 3: Them all.
Speaker 7: And all serious.
Speaker 4: This.
Speaker 10: My father was an incredible father and an amazing grandfather. I was very lucky to have him, and my kids were very lucky to have him. But he was not the best husband. He did not He was kind of secretive about money. He told me some things, so I knew he taught me how I manage our money, and so I had an idea. But then when I got into it, there's so many things he does that don't make any sense, to be honest with you, And so you get caught in this weird thing of how do you do the right thing by him and his memory and what he would have wanted, but when it's not technically the right thing. And I told him, I said, Dad, I don't think my brother and sister are happy with you right now, and I'm worried that if you go something happens to you that then I become the You become the place that they're going to put their anger. And we all know I'm already crying here now.
Speaker 7: I can't take that.
Speaker 3: I'm not strong about especially right now.
Speaker 7: You can't. I can't.
Speaker 10: I have not I can't really have moments to just be in it because there's.
Speaker 7: Always a job to do.
Speaker 1: I think that your experience is probably really common. I think a lot of people struggle with emotions about parents that have gone that that listen, it's very rare to be financially in order to have that house in order.
Speaker 3: It's it's not a gift everyone has.
Speaker 1: You can be the best person in the world, but horrible with money, and I think some of the best people I know are horrible with money. But it is a conflicting thing because you want to mourn, but at the same time you're pissed off, and that screws you up just as much.
Speaker 7: You get you get saddled with guilt.
Speaker 2: Noah and the three of us are now in this awful club, right. I mean that other people belong to it, but but we are now in this club where we've all lost our fathers. And even if the to your point about having something in place, having a trust and a plan. Even if you do have some of that stuff in place. My parents did have a trust, but there's still stuff that's that is is unresolved. You know that that will be and I'm eight months past my dad dying, but there's still stuff that we've had to work out between the sisters and I and how we're going to finagle this or and as much preparation as they had for accounts or vehicles or property or whatever, there's still a guy that's living in their house. I mean, there's the squatter that we've been trying to deal with. And it wasn't their fault necessarily. It was just like, well, we didn't need an agreement with this guy because we just thought he would go when when it was time to go, which is clearly not the case. So even as prepared as you you know you can be, there's still the potential for there to be some loose an.
Speaker 7: He had a.
Speaker 10: Quadruple bypass surgery this last December and that opened his eyes. He started the process, but he prioritized my grandmother's trust to update hers. He built it with her and it was already there. He just wanted to update it, so he didn't do his and so, but he just it came out of nowhere, and so I'm just trying to tell as many people as I can. I brought it up at a PTA meeting. I brought it up at my networking meeting this morning. I figured this is a great outlet to let people know because it literally can save you so much heartache in my opinion, I don't know, I guess I mean, maybe you guys could speak more to it. I haven't been on the other side of it where it's even quasi organized. But my dad has a rental property and their least agreements have been up since twenty seventeen. He hasn't even touched it. He hasn't increased the rent. That's their sole income. Now my mom's income has been cut in almost half. Like it's there's and it's all. I have to take care of my grandma's estate, my parents estate as well, and then my mother in law's estate, and it's ale have just been nice.
Speaker 2: How about this. Every Wednesday when you come in, we just do a state planning. I'll just talk about a state.
Speaker 7: I should probably go to law school before we start talking.
Speaker 3: I've got a free weekend before football.
Speaker 1: I will go to the University of Phoenix.
Speaker 3: I will figure all of it out. If it gives you two minutes of peace.
Speaker 7: Good joby, you guyso much better.
Speaker 3: I'll Phoenix. Well, we're glad you're back. I mean, I know this is a yeah, I'll be gone.
Speaker 7: I was gone for my family for a month.
Speaker 10: Yeah, just taking care of and I had to stay there for ten days after he passed, just to get but my mom.
Speaker 7: Has a trust.
Speaker 3: Now does Jack have kids?
Speaker 7: I don't know yet. I haven't seen his face.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you've brought her. No, I'm glad you're name though.
Speaker 10: I just took a guess to be honest, carry I just I just figured this was not the time Mark you was Shannon. She wouldn't take that Lowa blow right right after my dad passed. Trust me, she might tell you guys are the best and we'll continue.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from kf I Am six forty.
Speaker 3: Doing it for you, honey.
Speaker 7: He keeps her spicy.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, k IF I Am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Justin Warsham has.
Speaker 2: Joined us again, back back at it after dealing with life.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Also, I want to say that you guys were really kind and I was not as kind. I think I was wired differently as that I felt like I'm a friend, and I didn't. I didn't want to bring up anything or anything. But now that I know that, when people tell you like, hey, i'm sorry, it means something like it does. So thank you both, and I'm sorry that I didn't return the favor. But thank you. You guys are good friends.
Speaker 3: You're going to change your life now, are you. I mean you're gonna have this weird thing where Ms.
Speaker 1: Patricia says to do nothing for a year after someone close to you dies because you're just don't make any big decisions. Don't buy a car, don't don't do anything big because it takes a year to like really come back to normal.
Speaker 7: I've heard that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's why Dave Ramsey in his financial course, he tells you that your life insurance should be ten times your annual salary because then you want to be able to take care of whoever is left behind for ten years while you could still be there.
Speaker 7: So they can the.
Speaker 10: First year they like they just shouldn't even touch it, like he says, don't do anything in the first year, but after that then you can. You just you could make bigger decisions, but you just off of it for the first year, and then after that.
Speaker 3: How are the kids.
Speaker 10: My sons were, Okay, I don't know if I did it right. I told them, I said, I'm sorry if I did it wrong. But he passed away on the first day of school, and it was like nine He literally passed away at nine to fifteen am, no pm pm. Okay, So, and like twenty minutes beforehand, my wife sent me this beautiful video of my son doing his homework while practicing his audition for the musical singing Surrey with the Fringe on Top from Oklahoma, of course, and my other son was talking to his friends and they just had great first days of school, and I just i'd looked at my mom and I said, I don't think this is the right thing. And then the next day they were having rough nights, but we didn't want to make it worse, and so they didn't find out for a couple of days afterwards.
Speaker 2: Well, I was about their age, or I was at least about the age of the year older son. When my grandmother died and it was one of those where I was I did not want to have anything to do with it, not because I wasn't close to her. I mean, she literally had lived with us for a couple of years, so I was close enough with her, but I remember that that time of life where you that's not a thing. And I don't know if it was just that my lack of emotions or whatever how he treated in the family, but I didn't want to have anything to do with it. I didn't want to know when it happened. I didn't want to know any details yourself. Probably my older.
Speaker 10: Son wanted to know, like I think he even wanted to know the nitty gritter. He literally his question was how did he go? Like he wanted to hear the story. So I told him the story. He was very peaceful in his sleep like he wanted.
Speaker 7: He told me.
Speaker 10: Since I was a kid, I hope I go and sleep, and I just hope it's quick. And so that's exactly what happened. But what I thought was interesting that normally I would be defensive against and push back against, but in this case I just let it go. Is that when my kids came up to see me at my parents' house after he had gone.
Speaker 7: They immediately wanted his things and it was pretty adorable.
Speaker 3: My son nephew's were that way with my dad.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 10: My older son went up and put on his clothes, yeah, and wanted to.
Speaker 3: Wear his hats. They went through his closet like right away, I.
Speaker 10: Played dress up like. He came down with dad's old belt buckles he was wearing. My dad had these like elephants in cowboy boots. He got Texas when we went to go visit a family family we have there and he just was putting it all and then he went to sleep in the bed.
Speaker 7: That they have set us like this trundle bed for the kids.
Speaker 10: And he left that in the middle of the night and late and Grandpa's recliner and slept there all night, just because I think he wanted to be close to him, you know. And my my younger son and wanted his wedding ring. He said, can I have some of Grandpa's rings because my dad liked jewelry.
Speaker 3: Hem.
Speaker 10: Yes, he wants to pawn him to get some Fortnite bucks he wants, Yeah, for my gift card. Thanks thanks for bringing me back to her shand and that's right. I almost shame him those rings. He is not socially responsible, because it would be really funny if he turned he was found a way to ride his bike.
Speaker 1: To that your dad, you were miling down the entire bike ride.
Speaker 10: To tell you this quick story, because I really think my dad would get a kick out of this, is that you have to after somebody passes away for whatever reason, ceremonies, so you have to call all the people that they knew. And I would call them from my phone because I thought it was super creepy to call my dad, like from my dad's phone.
Speaker 3: Good point.
Speaker 10: And then they don't recognize your number, and so then you're forced to leave voicemails or say, hey, I'm this guy's son that you don't know. Call me unrelated, everything's fine, but just call me. And so there's one guy. My dad and mom had this thing where they would call their friends for their birthdays and saying happy birthday.
Speaker 7: This guy that my dad used to work with.
Speaker 10: He didn't call him because he just wasn't feeling well, and so the guy called him back because he didn't get a call for his birthday and my dad wasn't didn't have the energy to take the call. This was in like mid July, So now I'm calling him a few days after my dad had passed, and the poor guy picks up the phone and says to his wife, see, I told you he wasn't dead. Hey, Jesse, how the hell are you? And I laughed a little bit.
Speaker 7: I'll be this because my dad. One of my dad's favorite moments.
Speaker 10: Towards the end of his life, this is well before he got sick, was that there was about a six month period where medicare thought he was dead and he got so much joy, so much pure joy he felt from talking to people out a bureaucracy explaining that he is not dead because they speaking to him right, and they just could not compute that. He thought that was so funny, And thankfully this guy was socially awkward enough that it didn't It just grazed him like he didn't even care.
Speaker 7: But that was really funny.
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you had the same experience chan him, but that those that round of phone calls, that's that was probably some of the toughest.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that was the toughest. Time you're calling people you don't know. I called this guy that used to work for my dad when he had a contracting business thirty years ago. And this is a guy who I used to hang out with, was kind of my friend even though he was an adult. We played video games together. He was a really nice guy. And what you the But what I found nice about it, as hard as it was, was that you start realizing the impact that my dad had on just people that he worked with. Yeah, Like literally people adored my father at a level that I did not even know. Like it's it's almost kind of sad that he didn't want a funeral service because I don't think those people get a chance to come and say what they wanted. So I just hear stories like your dad was the greatest guy everybody across the board. He taught me so much. He was just so much fun to work with. Like a lot of the people that he worked with just really my fired him and looked up to him, and he looked out for a lot of younger guys.
Speaker 7: He started the fishing tournament.
Speaker 10: They do a Father's Day weekend fishing tournament at the cabin community that he retired in, and now this year they're going to name it after him because I brought it back and they asked all of our family to come and participate. My mom usually does a lot of the cooking, so I negotiated the terms that Mom will only be sitting in a camping chair, drinking a glass of wine, being a consultant, or cooking if she wants to, but she does not.
Speaker 3: Have to cook all.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to find this picture of I showed up at a forty nine er game. My dad was a fixture a candlestick and then Levi's or whatever. I show up at a game after you'd passed, and one of the guys that he tailgates with he was wearing a white shirt with a picture of my dad.
Speaker 3: He had a t shirt made of my.
Speaker 1: Dad sitting in his tailgating chair, you know, like a joint in his hand or something, and it was just it was a great moment. It's like when you hear good things I would imagine about your kids, Like when your kids go to friend's houses and they're like, your kid is so well behaved, there's such a joy to have Olivia or what have you, like, so proud. It's the same thing with parents when you find out what they meant to people because you don't get to.
Speaker 10: See You didn't see that, really see it, even if you're at the game with him, you don't see it from that lens of that person until weirdly enough, after they're gone and they're telling you about that.
Speaker 7: The guy who used to work with my dad, he said, I have to go. He had to.
Speaker 10: He couldn't even talk to me on the phone. He got too emotional and he has I said, he goes, I'm sorry, I can't talk right now.
Speaker 1: That was like the guy that showed up at your dad's house and you had to give him three hugs.
Speaker 3: Oh, the propane guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great, like the propane multiple times because he adored your pone.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, I mean it was.
Speaker 2: I think it was, if I'm not mistaken, it was like the morning after he passed away.
Speaker 3: No, it was. It was we were the weekend we were doing the service, the funeral service.
Speaker 10: That's a weird thing too, where you kind of feel like you're emotionally caring for people that are just friendly with your parents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I was like, I mean, he hadn't he hadn't seen my dad for a few weeks because he'd been a house bound. So I mean but he would come and fill the propane, take and take off, and they'd know each other for years and stuff.
Speaker 3: But quick talk back for you, brother.
Speaker 9: I feel for you going through a similar situation. But I just remember, be slow to anger, quick to listen, and just you know, let people.
Speaker 4: Just be themselves.
Speaker 9: And if they're going to be evil and say horrible things, just let them and still participate in it. Man, Sorry for your loss.
Speaker 10: Thanks, that's good advice. Yeah, I don't know that I can listen to it. In regards to my brother right now, I'll be honest, that's the hardest. That's going to be the hardest. That's the hardest one right now because of the way he came out. But I will try.
Speaker 7: I probably we're glad you're here at anything, my father.
Speaker 3: But now it's all.
Speaker 7: About you, man, god seeing Thanks for seeing me so much.
Speaker 3: We're going to charge you for this. If you don't want.
Speaker 2: Very much for today, we'll continue right after this. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFIM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.